PDA

View Full Version : CSGO players like Corners

Heister
19-04-2012, 01:59 AM
http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/valve/counter-strike/heat610.jpg

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Heat Map/firing locations ^

"If you’re interested in how developers collect gameplay data and use that to improve their games, check out these heat maps Valve used to improve Counter-Strike: Global Offensive."
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/04/18/counter-strike-global-offensive-heat-maps.aspx

@Valve; Round off the corners and add window frames. Or invert the rounded corners and add window frames. Nope. Scratch that. Place portal turrets+god mode at every corner. I've just created CSQuake! Everyone will now run around having fun whilst not hugging a corner. :)

Seriously though it's pretty interesting info.

Jamison Dance
19-04-2012, 07:01 AM
Makes sense. Corners are choke points, and you are constantly peeking around them to shoot the pixel that sticks out.

Bungle
19-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I love it. CS is a pure game. Even teams, no different classes, no invisible players. When it's a fair fight, lines and positioning separate the men from the boys. Counter-Strike will always be my perfect game and I love how serious everyone is about making everything just exactly perfect. Makes me feel all warm inside.

CS:GO is going to be a worthy successor to the series. Not a true sequel, but Counter-Strike 2 won't be released until Valve's next engine, which won't happen until Half-Life 3 and the next gen of consoles.

Ernesto
19-04-2012, 01:09 PM
but Counter-Strike 2 won't be released until Valve's next engine, which won't happen until Half-Life 3 and the next gen of consoles

It always surprises me how well informed people are. How do you know that? Are you working for Valve?

Back to topic: I love this kind of statistics. Will this tool be available to everyone who bought the game? Something similar happens when you beat a level in Super Meat Boy. But I'd like to see that in a lot more games.

PeopleLikeFrank
19-04-2012, 02:04 PM
The available stats for TF2 were pretty detailed, including heatmaps for player death locations. Seems it's gone to seed now (http://steampowered.com/status/tf2/tf2_stats.php), but it wouldn't surprise me if they made something similar available for CS:GO.

Mantracker
19-04-2012, 02:06 PM
In all fairness, anyone who has played CS could've told you the same without the heat map. It does look pretty cool though.

TixyLixx
19-04-2012, 02:30 PM
That's how CS works, wait for them to peak and shoot.

Pretty much how any FPS works really because corners is where you see people first.

Heliocentric
19-04-2012, 02:52 PM
no invisible players

Nothing wrong with invisibility in the right content.

b0rsuk
19-04-2012, 02:57 PM

Pretty much how any FPS works really because corners is where you see people first.

Just because CS is about camping doesn't mean other FPS games are. Quake, Unreal, RTCW, W:ET, ET:QW and related games make you regret standing still. CS would be terrible if it wasn't for 2 minute time limit.

kyrieee
19-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Look at all dem terrorists dying.
Train is horribly imbalanced in CSGO

Bungle
19-04-2012, 08:29 PM
It always surprises me how well informed people are. How do you know that? Are you working for Valve?

No, complete stranger, but I know a guy who does. Believe me or don't.

Of course not. One team attacks and the other defends. The attacking team doesn't have the option of camping corners; they have to break through them. You can use flashbangs and teamwork to break through the bottlenecks, or you can simply hop around the corner and hope to shoot him before he shoots you.

Nothing wrong with invisibility in the right content.
Invisibility bothers me in multiplayer games because it doesn't take my observational skills into account. If you are hidden and camouflaged, I have to really be observant if I want to find you. IF you're invisible, it doesn't matter how good my eyes are or how clever I am because you're invisible and that's that.

Ernesto
19-04-2012, 08:56 PM
No, complete stranger, but I know a guy who does. Believe me or don't.

Good enough for me. Just trying to stay critical.

Invisibility bothers me in multiplayer games because it doesn't take my observational skills into account.

But where is invisibility, there often are counter measures. (Can I say it in that way?)

Lambchops
19-04-2012, 10:56 PM
But where is invisibility, there often are counter measures. (Can I say it in that way?)

I quite liked the Unreal Tournament approach of using that invisibility cloaking effect (you know the one! They always use it so you can see your player character in third person games) so if you were eagle eyed you might be able to spot an invisible player before it was too late.