PDA

View Full Version : What TV shows are you watching?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Sidian
03-06-2011, 02:27 PM
I've only recently finished watching The Sopranos. Yeah I know, I'm late to the party... but yeah, utterly fantastic show and I'll miss it a lot. Also watching Game of Thrones, and soon I'm planning to give Boardwalk Empire a whirl, even though I've heard a lot of negative things about it. Can't wait for Breaking Bad to come back next month.

How about you?

Selesnya
03-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Game of Thrones here, too. Working my way through Six Feet Under, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire and Star Trek: TNG at the same time though. Not sure where the negativity about Boardwalk would come from, as what I've seen of it has been pretty good.

EndelNurk
03-06-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm about two thirds of the way through the first series of 24 so I'm in the same slow boat. I really loved the first few hours but am now finding it pretty dull. Is there any good reason why I should try watching any other season if I don't like the first?

I finished watching Smallville a little while ago. It ended with a hugely disappointing whimper unfortunately but I had really enjoyed some of it.

Sidian
03-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Game of Thrones here, too. Working my way through Six Feet Under, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire and Star Trek: TNG at the same time though. Not sure where the negativity about Boardwalk would come from, as what I've seen of it has been pretty good.

It sounds good. I've just heard people complain about how slow and dull it supposedly is, and it not being fully believable for the time it's set in. But it's got a very good pedigree so I'll definitely be giving it a chance.

Selesnya
03-06-2011, 02:38 PM
It sounds good. I've just heard people complain about how slow and dull it supposedly is, and it not being fully believable for the time it's set in. But it's got a very good pedigree so I'll definitely be giving it a chance.

I can see the believability being an issue, but a bit of belief-suspension can deal with that. It is very slow, but I think that's just the hallmark of people watchign HBO- I've heard the same complaints levied at The Wire and Sopranos. But I guess the only way to find out is to try it yourself man :)

Ian
03-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Of stuff that's on TV just now I watch Doctor Who, Have I Got News For You and The Apprentice. In terms of stuff I watch every episode of I think that's it...

I've got the DVD of the last four episodes of The Thick of It to watch out from Lovefilm so I'll get them watched and then be disappointed that there's no more. Next TV show I need to make a start on is either The Wire or The Sopranos.

EndelNurk
03-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Of stuff that's on TV just now I watch Doctor Who...

What do you think of the latest series?

Simon
03-06-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm about two thirds of the way through the first series of 24 so I'm in the same slow boat. I really loved the first few hours but am now finding it pretty dull. Is there any good reason why I should try watching any other season if I don't like the first?

Yeah, the first series is a bit hit and miss, with kim and the mother story lines being a bit crap.

The second series is really good. I would say watch up to series 4 or 5 then sack it off. Some great telly there but it dragged on.

Ezhar
03-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Castle, House, Stargate: Universe. Game of Thrones when it's complete (I hate waiting a week for the next episode).

Ian
03-06-2011, 03:09 PM
24's another one I ought to catch up. Watched the first series (on DVD) and enjoyed but just never got around to going for the next series.

Jimmy
03-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm actually rewatching Jericho right now. I also watch Game of Thrones when I can but I have to download the episodes so it's irregularly. When I am in the mood for something funny I usually resort to Psych or Community.

Theoban
03-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Well not much right now, everything's on Summer Break other than Doctor Who and Game of Thrones.

Just finished watching Space: Above and Beyond for the first time in years, that hasn't aged well...but it's still quite good. Apart from that last episode.

icupnimpn2
03-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Watching Garrow's Law series 1, It's Garry Shandling's Show season 2, Quantum Leap season 2, Enterprise season 1, Leverage season 3, One Piece episode 490 whatever, Primeval series 4. Plan to watch Outcasts sometime, and waiting for Eureka to start back up.

dudeofjustice
03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
First season of The Borgias just wrapped up a couple weeks ago. That's some good television. Watching Game of Thrones and it's getting better each week. Looking forward to Breaking Bad and Top Gear.

Jimmy
03-06-2011, 03:37 PM
and waiting for Eureka to start back up.

I cannot wait for Eureka to start back up, I am a bit pissed that it doesn't start untill mid July though.

Tikey
03-06-2011, 04:07 PM

The first season is the best by far. Don't watch the others if you don't like that one.

soupeh
03-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Game of Thrones, Modern Family, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Archer, The Borgias, Sons of Anarchy

icupnimpn2
03-06-2011, 04:49 PM
I cannot wait for Eureka to start back up, I am a bit pissed that it doesn't start untill mid July though.

SighFie has the screwiest seasons for Eureka and Warehouse 13. Let's split the episodes over two years and call it season 4.

man-eater chimp
03-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Game of Thrones and Doctor Who at the moment. I tried The Shadow Line but it was quite boring to be honest. I wanted to watch Psychonaughts but I didn't see the first series so I didn't think I could watch it without getting very confused.

Serekh
03-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Finishing another run of Star Trek DS9, good to see another Trek fan in the form of Selesnya although I haven't seen any of the other shows you have. Jimmy and I are 2/4 with Jericho (Great show) and Community (The funniest show).

The vibe I get from this thread is that I need to watch Game of Thrones right away, although I detested the first book and couldn't get more than ~150 pages into it.

Lambchops
03-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Just finished the season 1-5 box set of Supernatural.

So that leaves pretty much the only things I'm currently watching as Dr Who and The Apprentice.

I'd love to watch Game of Thrones but it's on bloody Sky Atlantic. I'd also quite like to see more breaking bad but it seems they're not getting around to releasing season 3 on DVD in the UK.

Beyond that I'm looking forward to the second sereis of Danish crime drama The Killing cropping up on BBC4 at some point later this year. Oh and I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be more Sherlock at some point as well, which should be rather excellent.

Unpleasant Scott
03-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Just that Dr Who these days, but I've got a hankering to burn through Life on Mars again.

frenz0rz
04-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Watching Deep Space 9 here, been doing 1-3 episodes every day for a few weeks now. Im on season 7, so I know the end is near, but I'm gonna make the most of it and enjoy every minute.

dancanman
04-06-2011, 03:40 AM
Chuck, Castle, In Plain Sight and waiting for Covert affairs, burn notice & Psych

ford
04-06-2011, 03:53 AM
With the advent of HBO Go, I've been watching a good bit of Extras and The Ricky Gervais show. To be honest, I lose a lot of the cultural humor, but I still find the shows really funny. Considering starting the Sopranos, or maybe Carnivale... with the sheer number of series they have on the service, it's more than a bit staggering.

OH, and Game of Thrones. Certainly can't forget Game of Thrones.

game of throooonesss *cough*

LittleLizard
04-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Everything i watch is currently on hold. But when they're on air, i watch these:

Top Gear, Castle, House, Nikita (The new one).

Spacewalk
04-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Apart from the news since that's a given all I watch these days are documentaries and current affairs programmes (the good ones on SBS and the ABC, not the terrible ones that are on the other channels), Collectors and Antiques Roadshow whenever it's on. There's a doco on mountain gorillas tomorrow night that looks really good because the series on the Rift Valley finished which was also really good so I'll definitely be watching that.

thomwong
04-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Game of Thrones and Treme are keeping me very enthralled. And I can't stop watching Archer.

Stense
04-06-2011, 12:11 PM
I've been watching Star Trek: The Original Series on CBS action this week. It has been a long long time since I last saw an episode of TOS. It is still as fun and wonderfully campy as ever, I still love it!

Other than that the only other shows I've been watching reguylary these days are Doctor Who, South Park and Horrible Histories.

Yodith
04-06-2011, 12:53 PM
I just finished Season 5 of The Wire last night and am now a bit bereft - I'm not sure I will ever find a show of such quality again. I need to watch the first season again as my other half hasn't seen it before but after that I am thinking of watching Treme or perhaps digging into David Simon's older shows, Homicide and The Corner.

I'm also watching Game of Thrones on a weekly basis and still have half a season of Boardwalk Empire, two thirds of the most recent season of House and the entirety of Mad Men Season 4 to watch.

Lambchops
04-06-2011, 01:23 PM
There's a part of me that is thinking "it's over a year now since I watched the Wire for the first time, surely that's long enough a gap to watch it again." It's not wrong but I don't know if I want to succumb to that "must watch more" addiction right now. It is truly brilliant.

Imbecile
04-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Yep, am rewatching the Wire at the moment too. I recommend it way too much, but its hard not to. Definitely the best TV or film I've ever seen.

@Yodith, I did exactly the same. Homicide has some great episodes, but can be quite dated, and the quality is patchy. I've just bought the first Season of Treme, but in the meantime you could try Generation Kill, which I enjoyed (though not as much as the Wire. The upside is that there is only one season)

SoulPride
04-06-2011, 02:25 PM
I've spent the past few weeks getting up to speed with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I think overall it gets less funny in the later seasons but it still has plenty of brilliant episodes. About halfway through Rubicon and will start on The Killing when I have the time.

The Prince Of Love
04-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I followed House while it was running, but I somehow missed that Doctor Who had started again, so I will be following that. Currently I'm having a semi-marathon of the X-Files, but that's only because I right now have a bit too much time on my hands (a pleasant change from the opposite).

Selesnya
04-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Finishing another run of Star Trek DS9, good to see another Trek fan in the form of Selesnya although I haven't seen any of the other shows you have.

I've never been watched DS9, but it's definitely top of the list, as I go through all the Star Trek I can possibly find/download.

Dubbill
06-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I just finished Season 5 of The Wire last night and am now a bit bereft - I'm not sure I will ever find a show of such quality again. I need to watch the first season again as my other half hasn't seen it before but after that I am thinking of watching Treme or perhaps digging into David Simon's older shows, Homicide and The Corner.
The Wire ruins other TV by being too damn good. To ease your return to 'normal' TV I'd recommend Generation Kill, which David Simon and Ed Burns adapted from the book. It captures the boredom and misery of war wonderfully, and has some of the funniest dialogue I’ve seen.

I've just finished series 3 of Spiral (or Engrenages, if you're French). Spiral occupies a weird space half-way between The Wire and The Bill but it's compelling stuff and a great chance to brush up on your French.

Ian
06-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Finished off the last series of The Thick of It. What a show. The last episode where Malcolm comes across as a nicer guy and nobody knows how the hell to deal with it was hilarious.

SMiD
06-06-2011, 04:24 PM
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Archer. Seriously, Archer is awesome.

Henke
06-06-2011, 06:21 PM
I've spent the past few weeks getting up to speed with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I think overall it gets less funny in the later seasons but it still has plenty of brilliant episodes.
I watched the first 4 seasons of that recently. For seasons 3 & 4 it felt like they were trying to be more edgy and un-PC and you'd think it would be less genuinely funny because of that but it wasn't! Complete opposite in fact, seasons 3 & 4 were the funniest ones yet. :D

Right now I'm nearing the end of season 7 of The Office (US). The post-Michael Scott episodes are struggling, I'm sad to say. His replacement isn't quite fitting in. :/

Poindexter
06-06-2011, 07:14 PM
I recently finished off all of Futurama and have recently started watching Robotech. I do love Netflix.

moth bones
08-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Oof! Trying to decide if I can bear one more episode of Game Of Thrones after the first two left me buzzing from the evil aristo shenanigans. Some superb creepy nastiness from those scheming blondhairs. I've not read any of the books, might have to rectify that.

OctaneHugo
09-06-2011, 12:22 AM
breaking bad
why has no one else said this? What the hell is wrong with you people?

DarkNoghri
09-06-2011, 01:08 AM
I recently finished off all of Futurama and have recently started watching Robotech. I do love Netflix.

Robotech is on Netflix? Why do I even bother owning DVDs?

Xercies
09-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Community - Probably now one of my favourite comedy series ever. The characters are so lovely and the episodes are just a delight. It is a big softy at heart and I quite like that. Even the weaker episodes your still watching these characters interact, some of the best characters ever! Probably my favourite character is Abed and the friendship between him and troy is wonderful. Definitly can't recommend this enough.

Game of Thrones - Even though I knew what was coming it still had me on the edge of my seat and shouting at Ned going "No, get out, get out while you still can you fool!"

SoulPride
09-06-2011, 02:30 PM
I watched the first 4 seasons of that recently. For seasons 3 & 4 it felt like they were trying to be more edgy and un-PC and you'd think it would be less genuinely funny because of that but it wasn't! Complete opposite in fact, seasons 3 & 4 were the funniest ones yet. :D
I think season 4 is where it really peaks. I mean, once a show succeeds in making waterboarding hilarious (The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis) it's difficult to top that.

Finished Rubicon. Not sure if it was cancelled or they just decided to end it there but damnit UNANSWERED QUESTIONS!!

OctaneHugo
09-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Community - Probably now one of my favourite comedy series ever. The characters are so lovely and the episodes are just a delight. It is a big softy at heart and I quite like that. Even the weaker episodes your still watching these characters interact, some of the best characters ever! Probably my favourite character is Abed and the friendship between him and troy is wonderful. Definitly can't recommend this enough.
Yeah, the characterization in that show is excellent. The actors and writers basically nail how each character would react in any given situation, even small ones.

Kmlkmljkl
10-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Legend of the seeker

Kmlkmljkl
10-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Also, the fuck is wrong with the post count?

SMiD
10-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Also, the fuck is wrong with the post count?

Welcome to the forums. It's a feature.

Poindexter
10-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Robotech is on Netflix? Why do I even bother owning DVDs?

Watch Instantly too! Don't even have to wait for the DVDs in the mail!

Ian
14-06-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm going to be watching Luther tonight.

First series I thought had it's moments but they didn't give themselves long enough for the actual point of the show (that he's meant to be getting inside the killer's heads by using the information about the crime) to play out and he ended up just looking like some sort of weird psychic in some of the episodes. Hopefully they rectify that this series though given it still appears to be one-off episodes of an hour each I'm not getting my hopes up.

icupnimpn2
11-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm in the USA but I like to keep an eye on what TV shows are coming out in the UK and Canada. Can anyone recommend good blogs or websites as resources for this kind of news? Searching google or google UK gives me stuff like TV Guide. That's not exactly what I want. I want more info on upcoming shows or series and episode reviews and release dates.

Xercies
11-09-2011, 09:20 PM
http://www.avclub.com/section/tv/

I go to this website quite a lot for my TV needs now. Quite good site.

Louie - Best TV show, probably in the history of TV show, if not its pretty damn close. What can I say about this show, its really really clever, its bloody strange as well. Basically its about a comedian that goes through life and thats about the concept. Every episode is either full of strange ideas, or great big jokes, sometimes it goes really dark, sometimes it just has such a big heart about humanity which makes you cry and feel great about everyone. Its a comedy kind of, but it does sometimes just have episodes with pretty much no jokes and some of them are the better ones. Like the two episodes which are just the best and should be put in a museum or something is Duckling and Niece.

Lambchops
11-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Been quite enjoying the second half of Doctor Who's current series so far. This weeks episode was a particularly good 'un I thought (though not quite as good as the Gaiman one in the first half). Quite often I find myself enjoying the more self contained episodes a bit more.

icupnimpn2
11-09-2011, 11:14 PM
http://www.avclub.com/section/tv/

I go to this website quite a lot for my TV needs now. Quite good site.

Anything for first-run UK stuff? AV Club is pretty US-focused, I thought.

ford
12-09-2011, 12:06 AM
InuYasha: The Final Act.

*cough*

Xercies
12-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Quite often I find myself enjoying the more self contained episodes a bit more.

I kind of am as well, I really like Stphen Moffats mythology episodes as I like to call them, they are enjoyable but I am a little bit tired of it only answering a few questions and raising a lot more, it also isn't narritivly in the right places which makes it a bit more tiring.

As for the episode just gone, pretty heart wrenching I have to say. The ending was also a punch to the gut, I don't think I've ever seen the Doctor being that dark before and it really surprised me. Though what was with the forshoudowing of that piece of art and then rory using a completly different piece of art to save Amy?

Drake Sigar
12-09-2011, 11:35 AM
There was a brief moment early in the last series where Rory passed judgment over the doctor taking companions into blind danger, and in the last episode this issue made another appearance (He’s not the adventurous type, and he’s only really there in the first place because his wife is). I’m hoping this continues to escalate instead of going back to the status quo.

sonaul
16-09-2011, 03:27 AM
Though they are on a break, I really am looking forward to the return of Chuck which will be on its final season. Being an almost "geek" that I am, I really enjoy the story. Though it would be on its 5th and final season already, it would suffice as compared to ending the whole show abruptly last season.

I am also a big fan of Cougar Town, which is really funny and witty in its own way.

Ian
16-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Why did I persevere with this series of Torchwood? What a drawn-out, turgid mess. I really liked Children of Earth, too.

I kind of am as well, I really like Stphen Moffats mythology episodes as I like to call them, they are enjoyable but I am a little bit tired of it only answering a few questions and raising a lot more, it also isn't narritivly in the right places which makes it a bit more tiring.

I think in Let's Kill Hitler for once we got a number of answers without just replacing them with another two questions, and that the story arc doesn't seem to have been touched upon in the last few episodes makes me think/hope that a lot of unknowns will be wrapped up by the end of this series. I could obviously be wrong, but that's the feeling I get.

Really liking Moffat's Doctor Who though. It helps that I genuinely like the companions as well as the Doctor. Arthur Darvill is excellent.

mrpier
16-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I have been on a Supernatural binge lately, seen almost two seasons the last two weeks.

The JG Man
16-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Though they are on a break, I really am looking forward to the return of Chuck which will be on its final season. Being an almost "geek" that I am, I really enjoy the story. Though it would be on its 5th and final season already, it would suffice as compared to ending the whole show abruptly last season.

Wait, WHAT?! They're finishing Chuck?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo...oo oooooooooooooo!

I'm still waiting on the fourth series DVD set, but series 2 and the second half of 3 are just absolutely fantastic entertainment. Oh well, I suppose that means I won't have quite as much to catch up on. BOO!

Also, enjoying Doctor Who. So couldn't wait for it to come back over the summer break. I was a little non-plussed about Let's Kill Hitler, just because it seemed rather patchy, narratively speaking, although it was enjoyable. The previous two episodes have been pretty great, particularly last week's. The Doctor being a bit of a jerk, although more justified than not, was welcome. I really like how Matt Smith's Doctor is, in my opinion, just more fleshed out than Tennant's. I feel like this one is an actual character and not the Time Lord equivalent of Jesus. I'll also throw my hat in for saying how good Arthur Darvill is. The trio, plus Alex Kingston when she's on, work together incredibly well.

I'm really excited that one of my favourite shows, Castle, is coming back on Monday night/Tuesday morning. I mean, it's not ground-breaking, original or 'fresh', but it's just polished so well, the raw entertainment factor is so good. How they manage to use every cliché and trope in the book, but still play around with them enough to stop it from getting boring. Plus, Nathan Fillion (and Stana Katic, who is every bit as good).

Lambchops
16-09-2011, 02:40 PM
I have been on a Supernatural binge lately, seen almost two seasons the last two weeks.

I really enjoyed Supernatural. It had its iffy episodes here and there and season 3 lacked for overall narrative direction but for the most part very entertaining and for once in this type of show good at neatly tying up story arcs instead of leaving tedious teasers (yeah I'm looking at you Heroes!).

Some of the stand alone episodes were up there at Buffy quality for that amalgamation of a neat concept , snappy one liners and entertainment value. I'm kind of wary about watching the 6th season though, the end of series 5 felt like a natural end point to the show to me.

I'm about to embark on watching Alias. I watched most of the first and (I think) second series back when it was on channel 4 but then proceeded to lose track of it. I remember really enjoying it though so I'm quite looking forward to seeing it all.

Xercies
16-09-2011, 02:54 PM
I have tried watching Supernatural but the first couple of episodes have left me a bit cold to be honest, anywhere I can start to get to some of the juicy bits? Also Alias is on my to do list after I complete The Wire, i still haven't finished Season 3, I don't know why but nothing really is making em go back to it even though I think its probably one of the smartest shows ever. I guess Season 3s storyline isn't impressing me as much as 1 & 2 has.

Lambchops
16-09-2011, 07:54 PM
All seasons of the Wire are brilliant but if you need a push to get through Season 3 then all I need to do is tell you that season 4 is the brilliant-ist.

In my mind Supernatural is best watched in little bits here and there. In my mind the formulaic structure of the episodes started to grate a bit when watched in one big go. Wouldn't recommend watching random good bits though, despite the formulaic presentation the overarching plot is actually very well delivered and watching out of sequence would do it a disservice (it does take a little while to get going in season 1 to be fair). If you're going to watch a random excellent episode though then glancing at the episode list I'd plump for episode 6 of season 1 which has some excellent shape shifting shenanigans.

mrpier
16-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah, season 1 of supernatural didn't really grab me, I've used probably 4 months or so getting through the first one and a half season before something clicked and I went on this recent binge :) Not that the first season was bad, but it was pretty formulaic as Lambchops said, and suffered under the monster of the week gimmick.

Xercies
16-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah thats the thing, i can get past the monster of the week thing. I mean Fringe pretty much dropped that after the first season(though still kind of keeping it a little bit) and well I absolutely love Fringe. So I think I can take the punt of Supernatural as well.

Lambchops
17-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Monster of the week is always there to some extent but season 2 (probably my favourite season) definitely manages to get past it. As do four and five. I took a massive break from it halfway through 3 because the overarching plot and the character interactions it leads to are just weren't that interesting (especially in contrast to the absolutely superb concluding episodes of season 2.

Drake Sigar
17-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Wait, WHAT?! They're finishing Chuck?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo...oo oooooooooooooo!

I'm still waiting on the fourth series DVD set, but series 2 and the second half of 3 are just absolutely fantastic entertainment. Oh well, I suppose that means I won't have quite as much to catch up on. BOO!
Then prepare to be in for a shock. Despite adding the awesome Timothy Dalton, season 4 is where the writing retreads past episodes and duplicates old jokes so often that you’d swear this was the same team who wrote BBC’s Merlin.

Ian
17-09-2011, 10:21 AM
I've just started watching The Wire via Lovefilm.

A mere 9 years late. :D

The JG Man
17-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Then prepare to be in for a shock. Despite adding the awesome Timothy Dalton, season 4 is where the writing retreads past episodes and duplicates old jokes so often that you’d swear this was the same team who wrote BBC’s Merlin.

Is there any chance I can ignore what you said and hope otherwise? I know, but...optimism, eh?

Lukasz
17-09-2011, 01:53 PM
QI

loved that program. currently on letter H.

Extremely funny and interesting. Do recommend it.

laneford
17-09-2011, 01:57 PM
The Killing (forbrydelsen) and Spiral (Engrenages) both on BBC4. Both superlative thrillers, miles ahead of anything of their ilk on UK/US tv.

European moody murder mystery for the win. Very much looking forward to new series of both coming up...

Lambchops
17-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Yeah, The Killing is excellent, really looking forward to series 2. Never got around to Spiral though.

Ian
17-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Did anybody else watch Appropriate Adult? I've no idea if or to what extent they took liberties with the facts for the sake of making it but I thought it was generally well done.

Lukasz
17-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Anyone else watched Raising Hope? I believe its one of better recent american comedy series. Its funny, cute but most importantly I found characters to be very interesting. Can't say whether it can survive more than 2-3 seasons but first one was very good.

icupnimpn2
19-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Anyone else watched Raising Hope? I believe its one of better recent american comedy series. Its funny, cute but most importantly I found characters to be very interesting. Can't say whether it can survive more than 2-3 seasons but first one was very good.

Saw about the first 8 episodes and thought they were alright. Gosh I can't stand that ukulele girl, tho. Her shtick didn't amuse me on Scrubs and it turned me off of Raising Hope, tho the show is otherwise decent.

deano2099
19-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm about to embark on watching Alias. I watched most of the first and (I think) second series back when it was on channel 4 but then proceeded to lose track of it. I remember really enjoying it though so I'm quite looking forward to seeing it all.

The first and most of the second series are fantastic, but then it basically wraps up the main, interesting plotline and becomes something a lot more pedestrian. The later series take a nose-dive into sheer ridiculousness and none of it really comes together. It's decent enough but never gets back to being what it was.

Kadayi
19-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah, The Killing is excellent, really looking forward to series 2. Never got around to Spiral though.

I enjoyed The Killing, but tbh it could of done with a a bit of trimming and a bit less tight lippedness by the various suspects at times. The secrets that they were holding back didn't seem that OMFG enough to get cagey about Vs being accused of murder tbh. Still good stuff & looking forward to the next season.

Xercies
19-09-2011, 04:48 PM
The first and most of the second series are fantastic, but then it basically wraps up the main, interesting plotline and becomes something a lot more pedestrian. The later series take a nose-dive into sheer ridiculousness and none of it really comes together. It's decent enough but never gets back to being what it was.

Sounds like another JJ Abrams show I know...can't remember the name of it...L something

Kadayi
19-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Sounds like another JJ Abrams show I know...can't remember the name of it...L something

To be fair, Abrams didn't have much actual hands on involvement with LOST after the 2nd series.

sinomatic
19-09-2011, 05:57 PM
I enjoyed The Killing, but tbh it could of done with a a bit of trimming and a bit less tight lippedness by the various suspects at times. The secrets that they were holding back didn't seem that OMFG enough to get cagey about Vs being accused of murder tbh. Still good stuff & looking forward to the next season.

Agreed. I massively enjoyed Forbrydelsen, but I'd be the first to admit that the extent to which people were withholding/omitting/lying about information got a bit silly. Utterly gripping regardless though. And miles ahead of the US version, which just got silly (and veered massively from the original) toward the end of their first series.

Kadayi
19-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Agreed. I massively enjoyed Forbrydelsen, but I'd be the first to admit that the extent to which people were withholding/omitting/lying about information got a bit silly. Utterly gripping regardless though. And miles ahead of the US version, which just got silly (and veered massively from the original) toward the end of their first series.

I watched the first episode of the US version and for the life of me couldn't understand why they cast Michelle Forbes as the wife and not as Lund tbh. Forbes would of been a better fit for the role I thought.

sinomatic
19-09-2011, 07:53 PM
I can't even imagine Forbes in that role actually, she's far too emotive. Lund was constrained, uncommunicative, to a fault. As was Linden (until a horrible episode of the US version where they deviated completely and pretty much ruined that character in my eyes).

Kadayi
19-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I can't even imagine Forbes in that role actually, she's far too emotive. Lund was constrained, uncommunicative, to a fault. As was Linden (until a horrible episode of the US version where they deviated completely and pretty much ruined that character in my eyes).

I don't know. I think she could do it. It would be a different direction for her, but at the same time, that would of been part of the challenge. Lund might of been uncommunicative it terms of talking, but the actress Sofie Gråbøl put a lot into her reaction to things. It was the small things that carried the performance. The american actress (from what I saw), just seemed to be aping the performance of Sofie Gråbøl, where as I think someone like Forbes could of made the role her own.

sinomatic
19-09-2011, 08:18 PM
I certainly didn't mean to imply that Sofie Gråbøl did nothing in her performance, far from it in fact, I thought she was absolutely superb. I don't think Mireille Enos aped her performance either. Linden was a similar but distinct entity in my eyes. Forbes is a great actress, and I have no doubt that she could have taken Linden on, but she's much more suited to the mother role than Linden. That's nothing against her talent or abilities, simply a matter of more appropriate casting.

Lukasz
19-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Saw about the first 8 episodes and thought they were alright. Gosh I can't stand that ukulele girl, tho. Her shtick didn't amuse me on Scrubs and it turned me off of Raising Hope, tho the show is otherwise decent.

hehe. nah. I think she is cute
found this by accident and thought about your post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zJHMad1ZsM&NR=1&feature=fvwp

'enjoy'

icupnimpn2
19-09-2011, 10:42 PM
oh great. now she's ruined youtube, too.

Xercies
19-09-2011, 11:07 PM
I love her personnaly, i thought her and Teds storyline was sweet and i was a bit mad they sidelined it a bit and it cam from no where that they broke up. Poor Ted :(

icupnimpn2
20-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm sure she's a very nice girl, but I would prefer to have the narrative of the TV show continue rather than to have a minute and a half ukulele interlude with overly-precious lyrics.

Similar
20-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Working through two seasons of Jeremiah. It's better than expected, if maybe not terribly deep (or, there's a bit many emotional shortcuts). Luke Perry is playing Luke Perry, as usual, but then, he's quite good at that, so it works okay.
And it amuses me they all say 'nukular'.

Sort of following Supernatural too, but I have no idea which episode or even season they're on here (nor which number of reruns).
As someone said earlier, it might be better watching it in small doses, so one episode a day like they show here is fine.

Similar
22-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Finished Jeremiah, which was decent enough, and am half way through the 24 existing episodes of Space: Above and Beyond. It's been around fifteen years since I last watched that series, but it holds up rather well.

Xercies
22-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Finished watching season 3 of The Wire finally. Well at least it got good at the end, I don't mind the Hamsterdam episode I mean its quite good that it highlights maybe legalising drugs wouldn't be to bad, but to be honest it was a kind of boring story. None of the characters in this season really had that much interesting stories, and well I know its meant to say that the frustrating part of policing modern is the drug dealers having got up on them but that makes the mai ninvestigation boring as well because there stalled and not really doing anything for 11 episodes I think it was!

But the ending was great, and an interesting character throughout these 3 seasons bought the bullet. Also that Brother Muzom character is probably the most interesting character even though we pretty much know nothing about him. I kind of want to know his backstory lol

Ian
22-09-2011, 02:37 PM
I am about halfway through the first season of The Wire and am enjoying it immensely.

Xercies
22-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Oh yeah the first two seasons of The Wire are absolutely fantastic pieces of television. Just them two alone i could consider this probably one of my favourite TV series of all time! I just really thought the quality of season 3 was down, or maybe the writers were in a bit of a spin there wheels mode.

Kadayi
25-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Parks & Recreation is back. Which means a weekly opportunity to bask in the glory of Ron Swanson: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAQ4yNgXelk&feature=related

Lukasz
25-09-2011, 09:21 PM
got back into farscape. second season ep 10.

quality varies. some episodes are pretty awesome. some are just shit. anyone can say whether it gets worse/better later on?

acidtestportfolio
26-09-2011, 08:54 AM
breaking bad's latest episode just scared the living shit out of me

deano2099
26-09-2011, 12:00 PM

quality varies. some episodes are pretty awesome. some are just shit. anyone can say whether it gets worse/better later on?

I felt it got better and better (although also more and more ridiculous). It really kicks up a gear at the end of season 2.

Drake Sigar
29-09-2011, 12:30 PM
You start to get more and more episodes with John and Scorpius. Giving the people what they want!

The JG Man
02-10-2011, 08:46 PM
I don't know if this entirely counts, but hey.

I picked up Arrested Development series 1 on DVD a few months ago but never ended up watching it. Without the internet at my uni place the last couple of weeks, I popped it in. Amazing stuff. Promptly ordered 2 and 3 and I finished watching it earlier. Unrelentingly funny. At the same time, it was clever but didn't need it all the time. Done with master strokes, truly. A shame it got cancelled, but it definitely felt like it had a good conclusion. If I had to pick a favourite character (and I no I don't, but I want to emphasise this) it has to be Maebe, particularly what happens for her during series 2.

In a sense, I feel like it's sort of like Police Squad in style, in that it's really pushing the Jokes Per Minute, but can do all kinds of comedy with no difficulty involved. Anyhow, I strongly recommend AD for comedy fans.

Dubbill
04-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Parks & Recreation is back. Which means a weekly opportunity to bask in the glory of Ron Swanson
Parks and Rec is fantastic. If you want to study Ron's pyramid in all its glory, you can find it here (http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/110120/park-recs-pyramid_1500.jpg).

I'll also give another shout out to Arrested Development now that they've announced it's returning for another season before the film (finally) gets made. Hurray!

squirrel
04-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Great, The Good Wife and House MD have started their new seasons. Am downloading to watch. (Dont blame me for downloading please, I am not American so I cannot watch on American TV channels, just like you have to download / stream to watch Chinese TV in your countries, doubt you would be interested though).

I read on Wikipedia that Dr. House will be thrown in jail (real prison time, not some one day lock down for contempt to court) for his crazy act in the last episode of last season. I am kinda of so much feel for him. He is not a bad guy actually, just holds some wrong attitude over some issues. However, it's also kinda natural for someone like him to end up in jail. What a world we are living in. (But it's just a drama, I know)

Jockie
04-10-2011, 03:27 PM
I watched the first episode of Homeland last night, a new kind of high concept slow burning spy drama. The concept for those of you not familiar is that a US marine is rescued in Iraq, 8 years after disappearing, while a slightly unhinged CIA agent receives some intel that the rescued marine may in fact have been 'turned' in captivity.The drama comes from her (the CIA agent is played by Claire Danes) trying to uncover the truth, or find evidence proving this is the case. The Marine is played by Damien Lewis, his wife is Morena Baccarin who you may remember from Firefly and V (I can confirm she gets naked within the first 10 minutes, for those that way inclined).

Anyway, it seems like a cross between high concept spy thriller and something a bit more slow burning like Rubicon. On evidence of the first episode, it seems well worth a watch, with a low-key aesthetic and a very character driven plot.

Oh, it also has Mandy Patinkin, who people of a certain age will remember fondly.

Ian
04-10-2011, 03:57 PM
So I finished season 1 of The Wire.

What a show. And I think the first disc of season 2 should be sitting in my flat by today. Good times.

SMiD
05-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah, just found out about Arrested Development's return. This news makes my balls tingle. And it looks like it's about time to crack open the DVDs again for another spin through the series. Brilliant show; I have my fingers' crossed on this one.

DigitalSignalX
05-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the tip on Homeland. Will definitely check it out. Damian Lewis is in it, his show "Life" was a real treat, too bad it was canceled. Spent a week taking a break from games, with the exception of an odd hour or so Witcher 2, so watched a *lot* of stuff. The first seasons of Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones were both excellent, compelling dramas.

cjlr
06-10-2011, 02:10 AM
Arrested Development is pretty great. My roommate of a few years back introduced me to the show, and I swear we watched an episode or two of it just about every day. There are so many layers and background jokes all throughout, watching it once is hardly enough to catch everything. I'm skeptical of a renewal so much later, though... Is there any TV show that's done well, coming back from a long hiatus? I read that the actors are all back (and looking much older) but how many of the writers are back? How many of the crew?

And for myself, I just got hold of the full run of the original Prisoner. Great stuff. There are some stock parodies and references I knew about before, without having seen it - especially that great episode of the Simpsons. But I hadn't realized how wide ranging that show's influence is. I'm only about halfway through, now, and I've managed not to spoil the end for myself (not easy, with a 45 year old show!).

icupnimpn2
06-10-2011, 03:03 AM
Sure there are shows and concepts that have done well after a long hiatus, but those have usually had either severe cast changes ala Dr. Who and ST:TNG. Those that have retained their original cast have been cartoons ala Family Guy and Futurama. There have been TV reunion specials bringing original cast members back together, but none I can think of that rival the 10-episode length of the new Arrested Development series.

The JG Man
06-10-2011, 01:45 PM
The Prisoner is an excellent show. A real head case, but excellent.

As for shows brought back, I thought the last series of Futurama was actually really good. No better or worse than the series that came before it. Dr. Who is an odd example though, simply because they changed the cast anyhow. It's only really the format that's any different and does work. Similarly, with the two-parters, you're getting lengths equal to the old four-parters anyhow!

Xercies
06-10-2011, 03:02 PM
I thought this season of Futurama had nothing on the previous seasons, There was only a few episodes where I thought it was great and its not like previous seasons where even if I watched it I will still watch it again because its really good. This season was just dull.

The JG Man
27-10-2011, 02:40 AM
Catch up time!

Then prepare to be in for a shock.

Is there any chance I can ignore what you said and hope otherwise? I know, but...optimism, eh?

So I got my mitts on season 4 of Chuck on Sunday night and have watched...well, it's all gone now. On the whole, eclipsed season 3, although that wasn't necessarily the hardest thing to do and generally felt consistent. Certain episodes better than others, but that's understandable. What isn't is how NBC couldn't make up their damn minds, so we had two series finales in one season. Good lord. That being said, the best episodes were up there with the best stuff and the worst was still very entertaining. Many, many hearty laughs and a good few "Hell yeah!" moments. Funnily enough, most of them involved Casey.

And for that matter, Casey wins the "Awesome Moment" award this series for his sniping people in a room based solely on a video-feed from someone moving about in that room. Ho-ly crap. Brilliant stuff! Timothy Dalton comes a close second though for being consistently excellent. Both lunatic and scary, with something of a sheet of paper between which one he'd choose.

So yeah, as it turns out, I gleefully disagree! I do however acknowledge that they really needed to cut down on the angst between Chuck and Sarah. Of course, considering the ending to the season, I don't think that'll be too much of a problem now.

And finally, Yvonne Strahovski in the belly dancer out-fit. Words cannot do justice. Despite that, and some of the great stuff Chuck has provided in the last two seasons, I can't help but think it would've been better to have ended it at the end of season 2. Maybe that's a case of wanting to ignore the bad whilst not accepting the good that did come through, but it would have been such a high note to have gone out on. I hope the final run can do it absolute justice.

Probably a bit late to this one, but Farscape descends into madness and then completely revels in it. It starts to happen about a third of the way through the second season, but it really picks up pace. The best part is, having seen the show before, re-watching some of the earlier stuff shows not only how far they came, but how many things they hint at so well that you don't really notice till later. There's an awful lot of fantastic thread-weaving going on. Also, Aeryn shooting things never gets tiring.

When I was re-watching the first season, there was not one episode I didn't enjoy. The last few episodes as well are excellent. I actually thought some of the early ones in season two were a bit pants, but they pick right back up again. It starts to get incredibly consistent in quality and bizarreness though, but like I said, it benefits from this oh-so-much.

I actually intend to get the blu-ray collection which releases in a few weeks. Well, I say intend, maybe as a birthday/xmas present. We shall see. Either way, by the end of the year I intend to own it!

I thought this season of Futurama had nothing on the previous seasons

Inconsistent, but generally still above board. There were some weak episodes, definitely, but the best ones were up there with the rest of the best. It's just a shame the bad ones were just not up to snuff at all.

Phew, okay. Well, now that I've finished Chuck for the time being, the only shows still ongoing are Castle, which remains a weekly treat of fun and at some point on iPlayer, HD Frozen Planet. Anyone watch it earlier?

MD!
27-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Inconsistent, but generally still above board. There were some weak episodes, definitely, but the best ones were up there with the rest of the best. It's just a shame the bad ones were just not up to snuff at all.

Will you concede that it has changed significantly? (In tone, characterisation, etc.) Because to me, the resurrection of Futurama has been freaking terrible. To the point that I have a newfound empathy with old-school Simpsons fans who whinge about its decline, and people generally who use ridiculous metaphors ('My childhood just got shat on!') to complain about things they love(d) being sullied by remakes and reboots and sequels.

I totally get that judgments of quality are almost entirely subjective, but I don't think that applies to judgments of consistency or similarity, and I've seen far too many people imply that the latest seasons are pretty much just new episodes of the same old Futurama. I know this shouldn't bother me, but I can't help it. I guess I would hate to see anyone judge the series as a whole by the latest run of episodes. (If you want to get technical though, I will concede that the slide/evolution began in production season 4 (TV season 5), which had a few episodes that would have fit in well with the latest run. Not to mention the movies, which I had successfully forgotten about.)

I am aware of the risks of nostalgia, but I'm also entirely confident that this is not a case of me 'changing' or 'growing up' while holding on to the things I experienced when younger. My old favourites are still great, and against the charge of youth-affected judgment carried into the present, I offer the fact that I was perfectly capable of disliking some episodes in the original run, and was aware of the declining quality of production season 4 as it happened. (And this wasn't because I was already going cold on the show -- one of my all-time favourite episodes came right near the end of production season 4.)

That was more words on Futurama than I've written for several years. I apologise, but I guess I needed to get some things off my chest! To answer the thread title: I'm currently enjoying The West Wing, only a few years behind everyone else.

P.S. I guess I pretty much gave up on Futurama after the first post-resurrection series. So when I say 'the latest run' I'm mostly referring to the season before the current one. If the current one is actually a dramatic return to form, please tell me.

Lukasz
27-10-2011, 09:20 AM
thx for the info on farscape. yeah. already finishing season 2 and it is weird.

also watching Doctor Who. I must say i was underwhelmed with good man goes to war. didn't see newer episodes as they are not being shown in my country and my internet is crap so can't pirate when i am home.

The JG Man
27-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Will you concede that it has changed significantly?
P.S. I guess I pretty much gave up on Futurama after the first post-resurrection series. So when I say 'the latest run' I'm mostly referring to the season before the current one. If the current one is actually a dramatic return to form, please tell me.

Yes. I'm not entirely sure how it's changed, but it has. It's smaller things that add up to it, like why all of a sudden is everyone going on missions? To get the most out of the voice actors? They think it'll benefit from the jokes they've done? I dunno. It has changed, but I would say there's still plenty good from the last season to justify its continued existence. It remains my favourite show, but I too would be remiss in saying that I didn't enjoy every episode of the original run. Some just didn't click with me and I found it hard to get involved with those episodes since. I think it was some of the 'mythology' episodes, just didn't work for me.

The films (/season 5) were an odd one. I can see what they tried to do, but ultimately I only found two enjoyable, one passable and one bad. Not a great record considering how anticipated they were. Yet, they were enough for it to be brought back, so it's hard to argue with their successfulness.

Just like with the original run, season 6 has its stand-out episodes and it also has the more...mundane ones. I'm not entirely sure then the latest season started up, or if 6 is still technically the 'latest' one. This really doesn't help considering how screwed by the network it ended up becoming and having different designations for seasons depending on where you were in the world.

Ian
27-10-2011, 02:26 PM
I think I watched the first four or five of the most recent series of Futurama and if I averaged a laugh per episode that was the most.

Anyway, ploughing on through The Wire and I think I've got five season 2 episodes left now. It's definitely not as good as the first series, if only because the two "main" sides of the show to this point aren't (them being the Barksdale organisation and the main police characters) as woven together, but the last episode or two have started to show more reason why they are linked.

Also needs more McNulty and Omar.

Enjoying it though, and I'll be looking to get going on the next couple of discs.

Xercies
27-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Really? I thought Season 2 to me was the strongest season and it still hasn't been beaten in my mind(though I'm thinking Season 4 is going to change that) except for that one character Ziggy who is so fecking annoying. I mean he might supposed to be annoying but everytime he was on screen I wanted to strangle him so much.

With Futurama I think the jokes got weaker and its heart got weaker as well. Even when an episode was trying to be like heart breaking like Jurrasic Bark it never truly got to it and there definitely was flaws. Also to me they definitely tried a bit to much of the pop culture references, Futurama your not Family Guy so stop it! It also kind of depressed me that there was no general continuity and characters acted out of character to get to the story elements. Also Leela and Frys relationship was a bit disappointing as well.

Ian
27-10-2011, 05:26 PM
I've seen somebody else saying that they thought season 2 looks better on re-viewings and when considered in the context of the show as a whole.

Obviously I've not seen and know nothing about the ones after season 2 but up to this point it felt times like the stuff with Barksdale people was there as much to show us the outcome of stuff from the first season. As I say, now it's starting to become clearer what their role is or might be and it's doing more of the stuff that I liked in the first season so there's a plenty of time yet for me to like it even more.

Xercies
27-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Obviously I've not seen and know nothing about the ones after season 2 but up to this point it felt times like the stuff with Barksdale people was there as much to show us the outcome of stuff from the first season

Hmm it kind of is, the Barksdale stuff is sidelined for Season 2, but to be honest the main investigation of the Dock Workers was a lot more interesting to me so I didn't really mind that to be honest.

MD!
27-10-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm not entirely sure then the latest season started up, or if 6 is still technically the 'latest' one. This really doesn't help considering how screwed by the network it ended up becoming and having different designations for seasons depending on where you were in the world.

Yeah, I was a bit confused about that too. I've looked it up, and it seems that the most recent season was still production season 6 (with 5 being the movies, as you said). Season 6 was split into two seasons (7 and 8) on US TV.

I can't help myself, I'm going to give a couple of 'season 8' episodes a go. (I'm not sure if I'm supposed to admit to downloading TV shows. But my first exposure to Futurama was through downloads, and I ended up buying the seasons 1-4 box sets despite having watched (almost?) every episode on my computer.)

laneford
27-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Are any Britishers watching Fresh Meat?

I went in with relatively low expectations, thinking it would be sub-inbetweeners rubbish, but have been thoroughly charmed with it. First two episodes are relatively slow, but I really feel it's settled into a fantastic comedy stride now, and I'm seeing many, many moments way too close to reality from my own student days.

It's written by Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong (Peep Show, The Thick Of It) so I guess I should've expected good based on that pedigree.

Anyway, the whole series is up now on 4oD, should you be interested. (And British)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsDnApqgREw&feature=relmfu

Jockie
28-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I quite enjoy Fresh Meat it's not particularly close to my student experience, but there are certainly recognisable types in there and they're done well, Jack Whitehall is actually pretty good in it too (not a fan of his 'I'm posh, lol' stand-up, but it works in this context).

My only slight problem with the writing is that each episode seems to come up with a contrived reason for two characters with nothing in common to hang out and 'bond' with each other (this weeks, JP & Oregon, last week JP and Howard, week before was Vod and Howard in a throwaway one episode semi-romance). I get that in student-life you're often thrown together with people and it's awkward and you have to get by etc. Also Kingsley and Josie sometimes seem to be in a different show to everyone else.

On the whole though it's pretty good.

Did anyone watch The Fades on BBC3?

I really enjoyed it for what it was, I find it bizarre that when BBC3 try genre, the success rate, writing, acting and overall quality tends to far surpass what BBC1 can come up with (I'm mostly thinking of that abortive sci-fi mess called 'Outcasts' here).

Anyway the Fades has a storyline that sounds a bit rubbish when written down - 'Fades' are undead ghost types, who have failed to ascend, can only be seen by 'Angelics' (humans possessing varying degrees of supernatural powers, sometimes their only power is that they can see Fades). The Fades can't touch people without horrendous pain, until one angry fade seems to be able to have physical contact and starts hunting down Angelics. Enter the main character, a nerdy young man who discovers he might be an Angelic.

But synopsis aside it's crammed with good performances, it doesn't pull it's punches and it's got a shedload of pop-culture references crammed in there. Well worth a watch.

Ian
28-10-2011, 10:15 AM
A question: I'm just about finished reading A Game of Thrones.

Am I now safe to watch the TV series? As in.... I take it the TV series doesn't move onto story from the second book?

EDIT: Didn't see the post on this page. I completely failed to record the first episode of Fresh Meat but am toying with the idea of watching it back on 4od.

As for The Fades, I wasn't much interested when it came on but in the last few weeks I've heard a few people saying good things about it so, again, might try and catch up on it.

Also I've just noticed that Game of Thrones isn't out on DVD yet anyway.

Xercies
28-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Am I now safe to watch the TV series? As in.... I take it the TV series doesn't move onto story from the second book?

Yep, the first season basically just goes through the plot of the first book. There are a few things from the second book in the last episode but there not really that big and I'm guessing there still going to go more in depth in the second season anyway. So yeah I would say you can.

Oh yes I must watch The Fades, after watching the 4th episode of Merlin. I'm finding Merlin quite good, its definitely gotten a lot darker with 2 deaths so far.

MD!
30-10-2011, 06:29 AM
I can't help myself, I'm going to give a couple of 'season 8' episodes a go. (I'm not sure if I'm supposed to admit to downloading TV shows. But my first exposure to Futurama was through downloads, and I ended up buying the seasons 1-4 box sets despite having watched (almost?) every episode on my computer.)

Decided to start with 'The Tip of the Zoidberg', and I really enjoyed it! I'm sure my low expectations helped, but I found it genuinely funny and even a little bit heartwarming. Any suggestions on what to watch next?

Drake Sigar
31-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Frozen Planet has some incredible footage, though perhaps the most astounding thing of all is an 80 year old David Attenborough narrating from the poles themselves. The man must have serious balls, I would have thought they'd place him in the comfort of a sound booth and splice in the voiceovers over the footage.

Xercies
31-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Any suggestions on what to watch next?

The last episode I think is probably the best of the season and really it comes closest to old futurama to me, so definitly watch that one. I won't spoil it because a lot of the fun is discovering the different styles and references they put in that episode.

squirrel
31-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Have any one of you mates watched a short TV drama series called Generation Kill? As I am aware of it contains only 7 episodes. It is based on a non-fiction with the very same name, recording the 2003 US invasion of Iraq through the author's (I dont know his / her exact name, but he / she is a journalist) experience with a recon unit of the US Marine. If my information is accurate this is a HBO production.

Dubbill
31-10-2011, 04:34 PM
You can read all about Gen Kill here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Kill_(TV_series)). It was written by Evan Wright, and Burns and Simons of The Wire which is what first brought it to my attention.

It's very good. It's a peek at the boredom, tension and frustration of war. Most of all, it's very, very funny. It has some of my favourite dialogue (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSLAIKjT7y8)ever.

TillEulenspiegel
31-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Any suggestions on what to watch next?
If you haven't watched all of the original series with the DVD commentary tracks, DO IT. DO IT NOW.

The latest season isn't terrible, unlike the previous one. Check the user ratings if you want to skip the mediocre episodes:

http://www.gotfuturama.com/Information/EpisodeGuide/Season8/

Burnside
31-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Loved Generation Kill, watched it again waiting for bf3 - only downside of that was noticing how much of the marine dialogue in the sp campaign was 'inspired' by Gen Kill.

Has anyone seen Neverwhere? Picked it up for almost nothing, half wondering whether I should be watching or reading it.

Vandelay
31-10-2011, 10:33 PM
On The Fades, my cousin actually stars as one of the Fades, so I kind of have to watch it.

I've only seen episode 1 so far and found it to be actually fairly watchable. It was not fantastic nor did it reach the heights of Being Human, even in its first series, but it certainly seems worth sticking with.

DigitalSignalX
01-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Recently I discovered Person of Interest (http://www.cbs.com/shows/person_of_interest/) and Lost Girl. Person of interest reminds me a great deal of The Equalizer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Equalizer) - an old show from the mid 80's about a "fixer" who helped people solve problems like James Bond turned vigilante. This is a modern take on it in that the protagonists know ahead of time who's involved via an anti-terrorist Echelon type spy computer that disregards routine civilian plots for murder and mayhem. The architect of the system feels guilty that so much is not being prevented that he programs a back door that feeds him a social security number of the "person of interest" who is either going to cause, or be the victim of, a serious crime. He and his ex-spy henchman (and the viewer) have to figure out the plot, the players, and come up with a fix.

Lost Girl (http://www.showcase.ca/lostgirl/) is a more fantasy procedural in the vein of Sanctuary or Dresden Files with the whole 'hidden world of monsters and magic around us" theme. A super sexy succubus discovers her true nature and that there is this geo-political division of the world into light and dark sided creatures living among us. Her and her utterly adorable show-stealing in every scene sidekick play both sides as ad-hoc mediators, problem solvers and liason with human interests. Yes, there's some quality T&A, but it's also a pretty decent show that actually researches creature mythos with an eye for keeping it real.

MD!
01-11-2011, 06:26 AM
If you haven't watched all of the original series with the DVD commentary tracks, DO IT. DO IT NOW.

Man, I'm not sure where I was up to in the commentaries. Really enjoyed some of them, but at some point I must have had a reason to stop watching... I seem to remember certain cast members/writers being a lot more entertaining than others, so maybe I just got bored during a run of less-interesting commentaries. Anyway, good idea!

And thanks for the link, I've actually already been relying on the CGEF user reviews, but I'm never sure when to trust them. (Lots of people there with differing tastes to my own.) They served me well with Tip of the Zoidberg, though.

And thanks for the tip Xerxies, Reincarnation is one of the other episodes I picked out from the CGEF reviews, so I'll watch that one next.

Bracket
01-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Parks and Rec is fantastic. If you want to study Ron's pyramid in all its glory, you can find it here.

Yes! Parks & Rec is my go to program when I'm in need of a pick me up. I dream of Ron Swanson's beard!

Thoroughly enjoyed the fades too, thought Daniel Kaluuya was brilliant as mac. Honestly didn't expect an open end to the series though, I think I would've been happier with a something more conclusive.

I thought fresh meat would be utter rubbish, but I'm hearing good things about it, so I may have to give it a go.

Has anyone been watching Top Boy which is on channel 4 in the UK this week? I've missed the first two episodes with things getting in the way and will probably miss tomorrow's, Is it any good?

Right now I'm watching Misfits, Homeland and Breaking bad.

The JG Man
02-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Gonna put in a +1 for Fresh Meat. Decided on a whim to start watching it at the end of last week and I now find myself up to date and awaiting the final episode of this series. It's great and, has been mentioned, Jack Whitehall is great in it. It's also one of those shows where you know everyone in it, but with the writing team behind it, it's not entirely surprising. Even if it's not laugh-out-loud humour, it's just amusing to watch. Has its flaws, but with the second series already given, it'll be interesting to see what they do with it. Also, the hiding in the bathroom scene in the last episode was extremely amusing. Also also, does anyone else think Josie is, all things considered, a selfish bitch? As soon as it was revealed she had a boyfriend, I was pretty shocked that someone so 'nice' would actually do that. Then she'd be telling other people secrets and so on...

Anyhow, other watching:

Frozen Planet was absolutely stunning to watch. Credit to the team for that. I look forward to watching tonight's episode at some point soon on the HD iPlayer (stupid Freeview not having BBC HD). Chuck's final season started, been meaning to watch that at some point soon, as well as Misfits, although I have less motivation to watch that for some reason. Also standard fare with Have I Got News For You, which has been rather good this series. Particularly amusing seeing the gang, led by Ian Hislop, utterly dismantle Louise Mensch. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WvAkhW-XNI)

Ian
03-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Oh for fuck's sake, is there another series of Have I Got News For You already? I always, always miss the start of it. Well I guess that gives me something to watch when eating my lunch.

After also missing the start of Misfits on Sunday I got caught up with it last night.

****SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY****
I quite enjoyed it. A lot of time was spent to setting up Rudy, obviously. And while he's obviously been created with being comic relief in mind I really like how they've set him up and his related power. And that they've instantly "initiated" him into the gang by having him involved in his first murder/burial. :D

I like that they've generally have the four from last series have powers that make sense for their characters again*, though in Curtis' case he says it was all that was left. But based on the synopsis for the second episode it looks like they're doing something interesting with it.

* This one of my favourite things about the characters' powers, that they tie into the character's personality or fears or whatever. With Kelly's initial power being related to be obsessed with what people think about her it makes sense that she'd now go for one that makes her supernaturally clever, now she knows what they think about her. And Simon going for a precognition-type helps explain how he's able to become so good so fast at whichever of parkour or free-running his getting about would be classed as.

But yeah, I did like it and I liked Rudy a lot too.Will be interested to see what the main story of these series pans out to be.

Bracket
03-11-2011, 06:38 PM
@Ian

Yeah, I thought the new series of Misfits was pretty darn good,

***Also Spoilers***

Rudy seems like a good replacement for Nathan. From his opening scenes I was concerned that he was going to be some sort of Jekyll & Hyde character with superhuman strength (the commotion in the office sounded like he'd overpowered the bodyguard/bouncer character), but his power turned out to be pretty interesting and not at all like what I'd expected. Think his northern-ness helps as well. Also the wheelchair in the burial scene was a nice nod to their previous experiences.

I agree with what you say about their powers relating to their character traits, not sure how Kelly's will fit into the story lines though. As for the main story The power trader guy(?) seems like he's going to feature. Possibly the probation worker may develop?

Ian
04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
***Teh Misfits Spoilz***
Yeah, the power seller bloke is obviously going to be part of whatever the main story is seeing as he's already in the preview for the next episode. Hopefully probation worker vs. Rudy scenes will be as entertaining as they were with Nathan.
***End***

So yeah, I watched the first episode of Fresh Meat. Not sure what I thought of it to be honest. But I liked enough of it that I'll watched another couple of episodes at least.

Drake Sigar
04-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Frozen Planet was absolutely stunning to watch. Credit to the team for that.
I was starting to get concerned nobody else was mentioning this.

Xercies
05-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Its weird that, usually my firends don't watch documentry series, but it seems every one of them is watching Frozen Planet.

Ian
05-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Finished season 2 of The Wire. It got better as it went along and by the last four or five episodes I was liking probably as much as the season 1 stuff.

I might have a little break before season 3 (I watch 'em through Lovefilm so I might clear a couple of other things off my list first) but I'm already kind of itching to get started on it. :-P

Rath
05-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Farscape gets released on blu-ray on November 14th, according to Amazon. Its' region free apparently, though it doesn't include The Peacekeeper Wars due to some sort of rights issue.

The JG Man
06-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Oh come on. I just checked that. I swear when I looked before that it was all there. Dammit...

Rath
06-11-2011, 03:05 AM
Oddly enough the DVD version of the boxset does include it though.

Xercies
07-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Just finished watching Season 4 of The Wire, fecking powerful stuff. Probably up there in the best season of The Wire. The story of the boys going through school and how it can help or hinder them is really good I have to say. I love this show because it has so many interesting characters in it, and the boys successfully made good interesting characters as well. It got really powerful near the end, I think episode 11 is probably the most sucker punches in an episode ever and left me like good films do, just speechless for a few minutes. Can't wait till season 5, though that's the end of it :(

Joseph-Sulphur
07-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Just finished watching Season 4 of The Wire, fecking powerful stuff. Probably up there in the best season of The Wire. The story of the boys going through school and how it can help or hinder them is really good I have to say. I love this show because it has so many interesting characters in it, and the boys successfully made good interesting characters as well. It got really powerful near the end, I think episode 11 is probably the most sucker punches in an episode ever and left me like good films do, just speechless for a few minutes. Can't wait till season 5, though that's the end of it :(
I know that feel man. I'm halfway through Season 3 (watching it for the fourth time or something), and watching The Wire for the first time was pretty incredible.

"Motherfucker is you taking notes on a criminal fucking conspiracy?"

Ian
07-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Really enjoyed yesterday's episode of Misfits. (Spoilers ahoy) I thought it was interesting to try and go at some female issues from the point of view of a male character. I suspect you'd need to be female to know how good a job they did of it but that they did it at all it is a good thing, I think.

Jockie
09-11-2011, 06:25 PM
If anyone used to watch Sons of Anarchy back when it was Macbeth cleverly disguised as a motorcycle drama (before it crashed off the rails spectacularly in season 3 with one of the worst seasons of tv I have ever made myself watch in the vain hope it might come good again), I'm pleased to say that last nights episode was fantastic.

It's finally broken out of the 'guilty pleasure' category and become the explosive, tightly scripted character drama it always threatened to be. If you gave up on it before or during the 'Oirish' season, it's well worth skipping that one and diving straight on to the current series instead.

Edit: @ Ian, I enjoyed the episode too, and I think the scatalogical writing in the series is spot on. Rudy may just be a proxy for their dick jokes, picking up where nathan left off, but it's still pretty hilarious (consequently, the cleaned up inevitable US remake will be fucking awful).

I wonder how they're going to use Curtis now though, is there much more mileage to be had from his power?

Drake Sigar
09-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Oddly enough the DVD version of the boxset does include it though.
I know what I'm getting for Christmas.

The JG Man
09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
How wrong would it be to get the blu-ray of series 1-4 of Farscape, and then the DVD of The Peacekeeper Wars? I'm thinking not very...

I've been trying to watch Frozen Planet in HD on iPlayer, but my internet at uni is so rubbish, I've given up. I started watching it in SD but only got half-way through, so I'll pick that up again probably on Friday and watch the third episode at some point. What I will say though is that some of the imagery is simply amazing. In games, film or book you have this painted impression of foreign, alien environments, but we really do only need look at specific places on Earth to get environments that still seem so alien, shrouded in this weird mysticism that's just brilliant to look at. I can't get enough of it.

Edit: Finally got round to finishing the second episode of it. Utterly amazing. I'm incredibly tempted to pick up the blu-ray of it when it's available.

The JG Man
16-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Despite the previous post, I was able to watch the third Frozen Planet in HD and really magnificent. I was particularly impressed by the clips at the end of them recording the polar bear family. Damn.

Also, an admission of guilt. There's a show I've been catching called New Girl. It's so sickeningly enjoyable, I hate that I like it. Stars Zooey Deschanel, as herself, living with a group of men after she was dumped by her boyfriend. Hilarity ensues. It's clearly aimed at the 'Female Demographic', but it's entertaining. When you look past the obvious girliness of it, there's some genuinely funny jokes. The latest episode, for example, includes the purchase of an overly large turkey which, after not fitting in the oven, is cooked using a tumble dryer. The show doesn't really settle into its rhythm until the third episode (six have aired so far) but at 22ish minutes long a pop, you can quickly make up your mind. I feel the same about it as I do Desperate Housewives in that it's clearly aimed at the 'Female Demographic' but some of the content is just well written or ridiculous enough to be entertaining whatever. Anyhow, I have made my piece. I hope you can all accept me for who I am.

In other news, I have my hands on the first season DVDs of Breaking Bad and Community, with the first season of Mad Men in the post. I went a bit crazy with the buying there, with Community being the only one I was completely interested in, but the other two weren't that expensive and if I don't like, I'm sure I can give them to someone who'll appreciate better. Of course, I just found out in its third season that Community has been put on hiatus, so...yeah, not a good sign there.

Xercies
17-11-2011, 09:53 AM
I also got the first season of Community from Amazon, fecking cheap at £13 that is a bargain, of course I would have bought it for £20 because every little helps. If they see DVD sales are high they might renew for a 4th season. Apprantly the 3rd season is going to air all its episodes according to one of the main guys. Whether it will have a 4th season is probably a bit less certain, in fact i suspect not. I really want it to though because i think them graduating from college would be a great ending to the show.

My girlfriend seems to love Community though so that's a plus.

The JG Man
17-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I asked out on Facebook for opinions on Community and was immediately hit with a wave of positivity (and some people who "Hadn't seen it, but heard good things", an utterly useless comment) which sparked me to do it. Indeed, £13 is a great price and seemed to be the cost around everywhere else too. I'm looking forward to watching it.

BobsLawnService
20-11-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm on holiday and it's pouring with rain so I switched on the TV for the first time to be met by an abomination called A Minute To Win it. I'd just like to know how the hell gameshgows went from passably entertaining general knowledge quizzes like The Weakest Link and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire to shit like Deal Or No Deal and finally a show about bouncing ping pong balls into a bucket strapped to your head.

Where the fuck did humanity go wrong?

In other news I'm also re-reading Earth Abides. If there is a diety out there who is listening I think it's time to push the reset button and start again.

The JG Man
21-11-2011, 04:33 AM
I also got the first season of Community from Amazon, fecking cheap at £13 that is a bargain, of course I would have bought it for £20 because every little helps.

I'd have paid £13 for the last disc of season 1 alone. God damn. The Modern Warfare episode is absolutely amazing, laced with awesome in so many ways. Anyhow, it was really, really good. It took a bit of time to get going, but once it hit its stride it just got better and better. In a lot of ways it's like Arrested Development and Spaced, but it's good in its own way too. In short, I recommend Community a lot. Now the question is, do I start on season 1 of Breaking Bad or Mad Men next?

I need to get round to watching last week's Frozen Planet too...

Xercies
21-11-2011, 05:49 PM
i would recommend Breaking Bad, its so good. But I've not seen Mad Men though.

DaftPunk
22-11-2011, 01:26 AM
Just completed Arrested Development today(First season),also watching season 2 of The Walking Dead and currently downloading The Sopranos season 1.

Jockie
22-11-2011, 03:39 PM
The Walking Dead is a frustrating show, they have a premise that automatically makes it hugely popular and they're actually pretty good at the set-pieces and action. But every episode gets dragged down by turgid character drama, soap opera standard dialogue and plot hooks designed to slow things down.

I suppose if every episode was an action packed spectacle it would be too expensive for network tv. But at the moment it seems completely incapable of delivering on its promise, which is a shame as it's likely going to be the only zombie apocalypse tv show for the foreseeable future.

Dubbill
22-11-2011, 04:30 PM
The Walking Dead is a frustrating show, they have a premise that automatically makes it hugely popular and they're actually pretty good at the set-pieces and action. But every episode gets dragged down by turgid character drama, soap opera standard dialogue and plot hooks designed to slow things down.
Yes, exactly. Their zombie sequences are excellent. The herd moving down the freeway in episode 1 was incredibly tense and episode 2's raid on the school for medical supplies was very L4D. However I can't comment on any the rest of the series because the horrible dialogue and yawnsome relationships have driven me away.

Ian
22-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Pretty much agree with all of that, Jockie.

I've not seen the most recent episode but I have a horrible feeling they bumped off a character I actually quite liked. Will be watching it tonight. Walking Dead's one of those shows because it's decent but I persevere in the hope it'll get better, rather than because it's so good I can't not watch it.

Also watched the most recent episode of Misfits and have mixed feelings on it. Spoilers incoming, obviously.

I liked that this is one of the few episodes where they've really done something to broaden the scale of the powers and that they did something with the off-the-cuff (or so it seemed) remark about a Jewish guy buying Curtis' time-travel power. The power dealer (whose name I keep forgetting) and the probation-worker's roles within the whole thing made sense too. I'm just not sure the scope of the thing was handled as well as it could've been after being squeezed into 45 minutes or so of television, given it made the time travel power the key plot point without having the time to actually tell us the different effects it had had or how it works when used to that extreme.

I thought the time travel in it was generally a bit nonsensical to be honest.

I still enjoyed it, and I'm still enjoying both Rudy and what they're doing with the power dealer. Just thought the length of a Misfits episode didn't really give them a chance to do this justice. It's nice to have a wider-reaching story to mix up the usual stuff that's predominantly based around a few characters.

The Innocent
22-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Another vote for Homeland. I've really been enjoying its slower pace, especially after Rubicon was cancelled.

More importantly, I finally found the complete Deadwood for cheap, so I'm rewatching the whole thing. One of my favorite shows.

The JG Man
04-12-2011, 10:01 PM
So, Black Mirror, anyone? I thought it was bloody good.

1. I didn't think it would actually happen. 2. I was not surprised when it wasn't her finger, but I don't feel this was of any detriment.

Drake Sigar
04-12-2011, 11:16 PM
The Walking Dead is a frustrating show, they have a premise that automatically makes it hugely popular and they're actually pretty good at the set-pieces and action. But every episode gets dragged down by turgid character drama, soap opera standard dialogue and plot hooks designed to slow things down.Stargate Universe, Battlestar Galactica, Lost, and Terra Nova are written the same way. America loves its survivalist dramas.

Shroom
04-12-2011, 11:42 PM

I also agree, bloody brilliant incendary television of which we could do with a lot more of in the place of factory-pressed X-Factor garbage.

Although I did think that with the whole [spoilers(maybe)]"artist"[spoilers] thing at the end, Brooker was rather changing the point he was making from the point he'd been making for all the rest of the programme. Was an interesting choice to make in that sense.

Joseph-Sulphur
04-12-2011, 11:47 PM

1. I didn't think it would actually happen. 2. I was not surprised when it wasn't her finger, but I don't feel this was of any detriment.
I'm not sure what I think about it yet. But gorram, I wish more TV dramas were produced that slickly. It was well shot, seamless and perfectly believable.

Kadayi
05-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Another vote for Homeland. I've really been enjoying its slower pace, especially after Rubicon was cancelled.

More importantly, I finally found the complete Deadwood for cheap, so I'm rewatching the whole thing. One of my favorite shows.

You sir have excellent taste.

Also Rubicon getting cancelled was tragic. Truxton Spangler and Kale Ingram were two of my favourite TV characters for a long time.

The JG Man
05-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Although I did think that with the whole [spoilers(maybe)]"artist"[spoilers] thing at the end, Brooker was rather changing the point he was making from the point he'd been making for all the rest of the programme.

Consider the spoiler as Brooker writing the episode and it still holds up. I also thought that considering certain adverts kept flashing up for a show tomorrow, it was rather good timing. I don't think that added point really meant anything more or changed what was before it.

Reading around, I've seen a lot of people complain that the absurdity of it didn't make it good. I fundamentally disagree. It was darkly comic the actual situation, that what it all boiled down to was having sex with a pig and that whilst there is obviously social commentary going on it is purposefully taken to absurd levels.

It is very much in the vain of The Twilight Zone; there were interesting ideas and they had a dark comedy about them.

Xercies
05-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Hmm Black Mirror, I have no idea about this, what channel is it on?

Stargate Universe, Battlestar Galactica, Lost, and Terra Nova are written the same way. America loves its survivalist dramas.

They are but some writers are better at it then others, like Battlestar Galactica and Lost was really good at its character drama. Terra Nova and Stargate Universe i thought really wasn't.

Ravelle
05-12-2011, 02:03 PM
As someone who has read the comics, this show is painful to watch because they change the timeline of certain events, add and remove things from the original comic script, including the characters and most important of all changed character key actions. Like
Hershell sitting there while the crew is executing his undead family, while in the comics it's Hershell who's doing all the shooting and apologizing after every execution.

And then they killed Sophia, making the whole search for her useless and dragged it out for nothing as well while she's a surviving character in the comics.

The Show also has added passive characters like Theodore, he doesn't add anything to the show or plot and also doesn't show up at all in some episodes.

Xercies
05-12-2011, 06:18 PM
So I just watched Black Mirror, have to say it was an interesting and funny concept done in a way that I thought really wasn't that funny. I guess the idea was for it to have a silly idea but done really straight but I thought that killed the comedy for me and really it ended up as a kind of sick drama. There was moments of funniness and I get what Brooker is trying to say, i think it probably would have worked more as a 30 minute Twilight Zone episode. That coda at the end though I thought was way to dark in how it handled its character.

Drake Sigar
05-12-2011, 06:29 PM
As someone who has read the comics, this show is painful to watch because they change the timeline of certain events, add and remove things from the original comic script, including the characters and most important of all changed character key actions.

Tell me, do the comics flesh the black guy out a bit more? I reckon everyone has had at least part of a series 2 episode focused on their character, but the black guy's (I don't remember his name because nobody talks to him) presence is barely acknowledged to the point where the few times he does show up in a scene my brain is almost suprised. "Oh that's right, he exists!" I hope he's got his episode coming and we just haven't gotten to it yet.

Alex Bakke
05-12-2011, 07:57 PM
I finished season 1 of Mad Men a few nights ago. Really quite good. Jon Hamm was great, Alison Brie etc. etc.

One thing though, spoilers:

Where the fuck did Peggy's baby come from? On moment she's gaining a slight amount of weight around her face only, and then next, baby.

DigitalSignalX
05-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Chalk another up for Homeland. Great show. Also have found the new Kelsey Grammar show "Boss" to be an exceptional bit of political drama. Its well worth the download if your cable co. doesn't offer the Starz network. I'll for sure be picking up the DvD box when it comes out next year. I'd go as far as to say it's the best new show of the season.

Kadayi
06-12-2011, 12:39 AM
I wouldn't get too precious about the comic to show translation with The Walking Dead. Plain truth of the matter is, what works on a comic page doesn't necessarily work that well when it comes to television or film. There's a lot of that gets left between the panels that you can't necessarily get away with in moving pictures.

@Alex Bakke : Pete Campbells soup. You've got to bear in mind that she's fairly innocent and that the show is covering almost a year in time.

Splynter
06-12-2011, 12:49 AM
I've also been enjoying The Walking Dead, though lately I've found it a bit tedious. I'm not sure exactly what's bothering me: it may be that I'm just not too invested in the characters, or that the at times blatant "American" flavour of the show puts me off **SPOILERS** (conspicuous American flags especially in the first season, Christian themes in the second when they get to the farm, heavy focus on guns, though understandable given the circumstances) **END SPOILERS**
Don't get me wrong, not hating on America, it's just a little hard to relate to the show at times.

I've just finished watching Shameless (the US version). I enjoyed it quite a bit, and only just recently found out that it's based on a British show of the same name. Anyone here seen that one and have any opinion on whether it's worth watching? If you've seen both versions, I'd love to hear your thoughts as well, though I know remakes are a bit of a mixed bag.

Ravelle
06-12-2011, 10:14 AM
In the comics he doesn't exist at all but there there the orginal black fellow called Tyrese who's badass and has is own story to tell, he's one of my favorite characters.

@Splynter

The first season began like the comic, then they decided to American it up with unneeded sex,religious and drama scenes

@Alex

I loved Madmen it's a shame we have to wait this long for a new season.

Jockie
07-12-2011, 10:48 AM
The black guy in The Walking Dead is awesome - he has no lines, does nothing, has no personality, no family, no backstory and no opinions. He is just a guy who stands in the background (very occasionally) and has a couple of reaction shots where he looks surprised or confused.

That makes him a more likeable character than all of the women on the show at least (bar Maggie).

At least when they decide to kill one of the core cast off, they have a ready made choice.

Ravelle
07-12-2011, 11:43 AM
What about Andrea?

The Innocent
07-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Also Rubicon getting cancelled was tragic. Truxton Spangler and Kale Ingram were two of my favourite TV characters for a long time.

You break my heart. That entire season was hard for me, what with both Rubicon and Terriers getting axed. Four of my favorite television characters in recent memory, cut off much too early.

Jockie
07-12-2011, 08:42 PM
What about Andrea?

You've got to be kidding right? Possibly the most stupid character on television right now. She spends half the series whining that the friendly old guy won't let her have a gun, she finally gets one and she decides to shoot the coolest guy in the show, despite the fact that whoever he is (sure it's not entirely clear at that distance), he's clearly talking to her friends.

Plus she seems to have turned to the clearly unstable Shane, so she can feel safe.

Drake Sigar
07-12-2011, 09:45 PM
So there's been all this controversy over BBC dropping the seventh episode of Frozen Planet's 'On Thin Ice' for America because it investigates man-made climate change. Oh wait, it doesn't. Turns out the episode investigates the effects and consequences of our warming planet. That's it. There's no political agenda, no theorising, and no mention of whether this is the result of man's interference or a naturally occurring climate shift. It's just hard facts. Grow some balls BBC. I'm sure the American media won't pan your show before watching it firs-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU)

Nevermind. Carry on.

Ravelle
08-12-2011, 10:55 AM
From her point of view she couldn't tell if he was talking to her friends or not, the group was just standing there with their back to her and to be fair he didn't make an effort to convince he was not a zombie when he saw the whole group approaching him all guns blazing.

But if you want to talk stupid, how about Sophia leaving her spot when clearly told to stay put.

Jockie
08-12-2011, 12:52 PM
From her point of view she couldn't tell if he was talking to her friends or not, the group was just standing there with their back to her and to be fair he didn't make an effort to convince he was not a zombie when he saw the whole group approaching him all guns blazing.

But if you want to talk stupid, how about Sophia leaving her spot when clearly told to stay put.

Or even - "Let's use Glen as bait, to use this well that we dont really need and has had a putrid zombie living in it for ages.. " Let's face it, the whole bunch of them are idiots who don't really deserve to survive a zombie apocalypse.

Drake Sigar
08-12-2011, 01:42 PM
That still keeps me up at night. Why are the group so utterly convinced a zombie covered in oozing wounds has not contaminated the water, to the point where they are willing to risk the life of a member of their group? If they need live bait why not use a chicken? How will they test the water for contamination - give it to the animals or Glenn if he's still alive? Couldn't they tie the rope to something sturdy like the CARAVAN instead of a rusty old faucet, that way they'd have a backup to pull Glenn out?

Oh forget it. We're analysing a scene which was so obviously meant to crowbar in unnecessary tension, and in doing so it temporarily robs the entire group of basic intelligence.

Ravelle
08-12-2011, 02:40 PM
In the comics Glen also serves as a " go to the city to raid food and supplies guy" because he's agile and fast but that's only in the beginning, also they didn't use chickens because they were all fed to the barn zombies family.

Also by the look of that zombie in the well he had been soaking up water for days, or weeks, the water would be contaminated for sure, there is no reason to pull him out since the water won't be magically cleansed, if the zombies are contagious to begin with ( besides biting that is). They're also having a barn full of them, yet there eating off the their own land harvests.

And then the shocked faces when the zombies split in to and the zombie guts plunge in to the water," well it is contaminated for sure now! is what they all thought probably.

The whole Carl coma was also unnecessary, took way to long while in the comics he woke up after a couple of hours.

Drake Sigar
08-12-2011, 03:03 PM
also they didn't use chickens because they were all fed to the barn zombies family.
Wasn't the chicken massacre in episode 6? They discovered the well zombie much earlier in episode 4. Also, they would keep a few chickens back for their eggs. Unless you're reffering to the comic.

I think they just want Glenn dead.

Ravelle
08-12-2011, 04:01 PM
It was shown in episode six yes, but you would think that they were feeding them way before the crew arrived.

Speaking off, why were they feeding them? Complete cities and towns were zombiefied without needing food, yet surviving just fine.

Splynter
08-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Because it fits the actions of characters who believe them to still be human?

This show is really at its finest when it's dealing with a couple of people 'surviving', not playing house or commenting on suicide/abortion/religion etc.

Alex Bakke
08-12-2011, 06:34 PM
My beef with TWD is that it changes way too much and loses the magic of the comic.

Ravelle
08-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Because it fits the actions of characters who believe them to still be human?

This show is really at its finest when it's dealing with a couple of people 'surviving', not playing house or commenting on suicide/abortion/religion etc.

Jericho suffered with the exact same things.

Ian
11-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I'd wondered why they were spinning the Sophia story out so long and then as soon as Shane opened the barn it all sort of fell into place. This may have been obvious to everybody else earlier what the conclusion to that was going to be but it hadn't even occurred to me.

Indeed. As was commented on further up the thread, the zombie/action stuff tends to be genuinely good. But whether it's the writing or the acting, it hasn't been good enough in a series that's leant on the character stuff. As in any horror/apocalyptic film, too many of the people just seem stupid.

Basically in TWD the group survives because just enough of them are competent. Andrea's the most irritating of the lot.

Lambchops
11-12-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm currently watching Alias, having got the box set on the cheap having remembered enjoying what I saw of it (definitely the first seasona nd perhaps some of the second) when it was on telly.

Enjoying it now, even if the first series has been pretty formulaic it quite cleverly keeps you wanting to watch the next episode by (to my eyes) switching round the usual order of when things hapening. So while an episode of, say, Supernatural goes get case, solve case while building tension, tack some character development on at the end, essentially no cliffhanger; Alias goes resolve last weeks cliffhanger while building tension, tack some character development in the middle while getting new mission, go on new mission, end on dramatic cliffhanger. i'm simplifying a bit but I think the method of Alias definitely screams at you to watch more. Of course 24 trumps them both as it took a few seasons to become formulaic and even then it was more just that you recognised similar scenarios rather than each episode taking on the same structure.

Interesting to see how it turns out, I'd forgotten that it had a shit load of mysticism involved as well, which is an intruiging mix with the traditional spy thing. I can remember the big twist from the first season but once it gets past that then i'll be in the dark, which is where I like to be when watching a series.

DzX
12-12-2011, 12:20 PM
So I just watched Black Mirror, have to say it was an interesting and funny concept done in a way that I thought really wasn't that funny.

I'm not sure it's actually trying to be funny to be honest; I thought it was meant to be social commentary on social networking, mob mentality and how easily public opinion changes. The Pig was used to display a situation by which humiliation and loss of reputation were a likely outcome.

Did anybody catch the latest episode "15 million merits"? One of the best pieces of television I've seen in a long time; the "1984" styled world with Huxley's "Brave New World' ideology really hammered home how cheap instant-gratification entertainment has, and could further, change society.

Lambchops
12-12-2011, 01:27 PM
@ DzX

Going to watch the latest episode later tonight, the first one was good but I thought the concept of this one looked more promising. Lookng forward to the final one as well, Jesse Armstrong can usually be relied on to come up with good quality TV.

Xercies
12-12-2011, 09:29 PM
So I just watched the second episode of Black Mirror, probably one of the most heart wrenchily depressing thing I have watched in a long time. The way it builds up warmth for its characters and then dashes your hopes on the rocks. Its got so much stuff in it, I can't help but think its a masterpiece. There''s stuff about what is celebrity and selling out, their is stuff about gamification of life, their is stuff about how people spend lots of useless things on virtual items.

But its the human drama that was in it that got me the most. I don't think I will ever forget that.

DiamondDog
12-12-2011, 11:25 PM
It didn't feel big enough for me. There were elements that I loved, the whole idea of living inside a Kinect room, pop-up ads that cost points to skip, and the fact that even closing your eyes to these images is prohibited. A lot of it felt like things that could quite easily happen. The human element was much better than last weeks, along with some good acting.

My problem came from having no view of the outside world and having no feeling of how big the X-Factor element was. Was it just something that people on the bikes could watch, or was it a show the whole world tuned into? I guess I was expecting something along the lines of Running Man, where these shows are the only entertainment going and everyone watches. In this, the significance of the show didn't seem all that important. I thought the idea was that this thing was the dominant force in everyone's lives, but I didn't get that impression. It all felt a bit underwhelming.

The other problem is it all seemed a bit obvious. Think about the kind of crowd that will have watched this. Most of us already hate the X-Factor, or at least don't care about it. Same goes for little things like the pointlessness of buying items for an avatar. Charlie Brooker is preaching to the choir in this one. It's not opening our eyes to things we couldn't see. What are the chances the people who had just finished enjoying the X-Factor decided to turn over to a random show they'd probably heard nothing about? I doubt many of these people will have watched Black Mirror and had their ideals challenged.

That's why I much preferred last weeks episode, because it was going after the exact kind of crowd that would have been tuning in. Social media savvy, twitter and facebook users. It partially pointed to the mob mentality of these devices and the way in which many of us turn to these places not for news and information, but as a form of spectacle. A way to gawp at what's going on in the world. I think these things could be just as damaging as the stupidity of X-Factor.

I am at least looking forward to next weeks. They've been worth watching, certainly.

Lambchops
13-12-2011, 12:42 AM
I think I'm slap bang in the middle of Xercies and DiamondDog's takes on the 2nd Black Mirror. It was very stylishly done and the acting was great (particular kudos to the guy playing Bing) but as with DiamondDog I reckoned it just lacked a bit of, dare I say it, the X Factor. It was one of those dramas where I always felt I knew what was happening a few minutes in advance, so while it did its thing very well it just maybe lacked that element of suprise or particularly thought provoking moment. Definitely good TV though and hopefully the final one is a decent watch too.

Oh and I like the nice touch of the intro title splash doing the 40D style loading thing initially, it's a nice little acknowledgement that many people are streaming it online and not watching it on the telly. Plus I think the unskippable ads (particular the ones for the Wii) were made uncomfortably ironic given the context of the show!

Side note confession; I'm an on off viewer of the X Factor and its ilk. Watched a few series, stopped, housemates were watching it, started again, gave up in the middle of this year as it was lacking in entertainment value (though kept reading the Guardian liveblog of it, which is hilarious). I know it's trash but sometimes trash is entertaining!

DigitalSignalX
14-12-2011, 08:06 AM
http://movietvnews.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/luck-season-1-poster.jpg

Watched the pilot of the new HBO series "Luck" - have to say I'm pretty impressed so far. Definitely looking forward to more of this. It follows three basic plot arcs surrounding a horse track. It's risk taking of some nature (hence the name) at the executive, middle management, and low life level in the form of either outright gambling on horses, or gambling on which horse to run and when. Hoffman's level is the highest, and it's the maneuvering required to assert his place in some sort of cabal that owns casinos and tracks while on a business venture he's orchestrating getting completed.

You can tell without a doubt that Michael Mann's hands are all over this in the cinematography and music, but they haven't really spent enough time on Hoffman's scenes yet for me to see if they've capitalized on his talent.

Jockie
14-12-2011, 07:55 PM
http://movietvnews.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/luck-season-1-poster.jpg

Watched the pilot of the new HBO series "Luck" - have to say I'm pretty impressed so far. Definitely looking forward to more of this. It follows three basic plot arcs surrounding a horse track. It's risk taking of some nature (hence the name) at the executive, middle management, and low life level in the form of either outright gambling on horses, or gambling on which horse to run and when. Hoffman's level is the highest, and it's the maneuvering required to assert his place in some sort of cabal that owns casinos and tracks while on a business venture he's orchestrating getting completed.

You can tell without a doubt that Michael Mann's hands are all over this in the cinematography and music, but they haven't really spent enough time on Hoffman's scenes yet for me to see if they've capitalized on his talent.

It's written by the creator of Deadwood, which is one of my all-time favourite tv shows. The concept doesn't really excite me though I have to say. Think I'll wait until the series starts to air proper before diving in.

Ravelle
16-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Never heard of this, certainly going to give the pilot a run in the evening.

Kadayi
16-12-2011, 11:43 AM
You break my heart. That entire season was hard for me, what with both Rubicon and Terriers getting axed. Four of my favorite television characters in recent memory, cut off much too early.

+1 for terriers as well. I'm really not sure why that failed tbh.

Ian
20-12-2011, 02:15 PM
So, have people who watch Misfits seen the finale? Without going into details, I thought it was slightly anti-climactic as a finale for a series but an excellent bridge between this series and whatever they do for the next one. (I have no idea what I expect from the next series.)

EDIT:
SPOILERS

Oh, I didn't realise Simon was actually off the show now... thought they were gonna have more time-travel gubbins or link past and present some other way until "our" Simon reached the point where he got deaded.

Losing Alisha's no big deal but losing Simon's a shame. So that leaves us with Curtis and Kelly of the original cast and Rudy. Two new characters next series then?

The JG Man
20-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Really? I feel somewhat vindicated in my accidental intention of not watching the third series of Misfits then. Sounds silly!

Xercies
20-12-2011, 04:09 PM
its been a bit meh this season of Misfits, only the last two episodes(not including the finale, not watched it) have had the old charm of the series to be honest. The rest of it has been middling at best or misguided at worst(I thought the nazi one was the worst they had done, not because of the idea, i thought it could have worked but the way they treated it) and hearing that Simon and alicia are going I might not tune into season 4 since to be honest the other characters haven't really been served well this season and starting to become a bit bland.

Ian
20-12-2011, 04:42 PM
(More spoilers ahoy, obviously.)

As you say, with the nazi episode as a prime example I think the problem has been execution as much as anything. This series has been very up and down.

I think part of the problem is that from the finale of episode 2 onwards they've widened the scale in glimpses, but not really followed up on it properly. So we now know that, yes, people having powers is (presumably) quite common knowledge but not addressing the fact that this would change the world in noticeable ways.

And another problem is possibly that they've actually done bugger all with any of the main characters' powers. Aside from Seth since he seems to be one of the main ones now, and Rudy since he's a new character and they kinda had to. But Kelly, Alisha and Simon's barely had anything done with them aside from a few moments across a few episodes. Curtis' new one for the start of the series was used for one episode and then they started a second story with it that appears now to be dead (the pregnancy thing.)

Xercies
20-12-2011, 10:20 PM
But Kelly, Alisha and Simon's barely had anything done with them aside from a few moments across a few episodes. Curtis' new one for the start of the series was used for one episode and then they started a second story with it that appears now to be dead (the pregnancy thing.)

I think thats been the general feel of this season, they had story arcs teased at us, or you know what you think might be starts of story arcs but they never come through.

The power broker, I thought his story would amount to a lot more then that zombie episode and going out with kelly, but nope.

Curtis and his woman/baby. I thought their could have been an interesting episode on whether Curtis should have a baby or not, but they sorted that out in 5 seconds which felt very underwhelming.

Kelly and her Rocket Scientist thing, i swear there would have been an episode focusing on her and how well she got on with them and stuff, but that never happened either.

Simons one is the most disappointing, all that for what we basically knew in season 2, could have been an interesting episode in how to stop him repeating it over and over. But nope.

luckystar01
22-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Glee
The Walking Dead and
Dexter..

Jockie
22-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Found the Misfits finale seriously underwhelming, just felt like a rushed ending to a plotline that was seemingly being saved up for next season (after being the main narrative thread in s2). Then they ended up wrapping it up in 15 minutes at the end of an episode. I can understand the Alisha actress wanting to leave the series, as she's had bugger all to do this year, but it felt like a tacked on exit.

Nazi episode aside I've enjoyed the series, but I don't think it hit the heights of last year and with 3 of the main cast being shed now, I'm not sure I can see a way back for the show. That said I'll still watch it for Joe Gilgun and Lauren Socha's impeccable comic timing.

The JG Man
03-01-2012, 03:44 AM
So, Sherlock, anybody? Thought it was absolutely fantastic, with a convincing and brilliant plot and some marvellous humour. Also Lara Pulver who certainly had some...gravitas for her role.

Xercies
03-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Hmm I thought that Sherlock was all over the place to be honest. But as soon as it got into the Irene Adler storyline properly it was pretty good. The humour of the show is really great. Watson though feels worse in this episode, I always thought he was not needed as a character in the first series but with Irene, and Sherlock's brother in this he's even more not needed!

Jockie
03-01-2012, 12:04 PM
I enjoyed Sherlock, but didn't feel like it was perfectly paced and plotted, I actually prefer the Stephen Fry/Guy Richie take on Sherlock's brother as well, he's a little bit bland in this. Apart from that it was mostly good though, great chemistry between the cast and the twists were handled deftly. One thing that irked me was when the CIA bad guy sent his henchmen out of the room for absolutely no reason and only after they had left decided to search for weapons, it's lazy writing to get the character out of a difficult situation that relies on a supposedly competent antagonist doing something incredibly stupid.

I had time to catch up with Black Mirror over the weekend and found it a mixed bag. The first episode didn't do anything for me and I turned it off halfway through. Like others have suggested it felt like a joke/silly idea stretched out over an hours worth of TV. On the other hand, I thought that 15 Million Merits was an outstanding piece of TV that worked on a number of levels. From its grim look at how we consume and obsess over our online identities, the sinister creeping doom of reality show based celebrity and Brooker's final satirical take on his own predicament, from being an outspoken critic, to selling out and becoming part of the system.

acenck
03-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Cheers and Breaking Bad.

I know, I know.....

Pseudo310
03-01-2012, 06:06 PM
I just finished The IT Crowd. It was brilliant, and while working in IT helped make it funnier, my girlfriend doesn't and she loved it, too.

I'm on season 4 of watching The Wire solo, and season 1 of re-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer with my girlfriend (I've watched the whole series a few times already, and she's only seen a handful of episodes but wants to watch the whole thing).

Voon
05-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Meh. Nothing much beyond House M.D or travel shows, nowadays. Speaking of travel shows, watched Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations reruns. Found the Vietnam episode amusing.

mrpier
05-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Found The League to be highly amusing thanks to recommendations from this thread, so thanks for that. Funniest show since How I met your mother was good, although season three was a bit weaker than the two first.

aego
07-01-2012, 01:04 AM
Just finished the second series of Him & Her. Brilliant stuff, I'm glad they're also going to do a third one.

Lambchops
07-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Still on Alias but I think I'm about to get passed where I watched up to when it was on telly, so it will be nice to stop vaguely remembering what's going to happen next!

I quite enjoyed Sherlock although for the first time it did irk me a bit. Irene Adler is supposed to outwit Holmes and it didn't really sit right that he ended up getting one over on her by the end of the episode. Enjoyable TV all the same.

Xercies
07-01-2012, 12:21 PM
I've been watching Peep Show at the moment and finding it really funny, Sometimes David Mitchells character reminds me of me in a horrible yet kind of funny way. Its really quite a tragic comedy as well, nothing really goes right for the two people and if there weren't comedy it would probably be a drama. But since it is I am loving it.

Xerian
07-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Warning; There may be some spoilers here for people whom havent seen the latest of recent shows like The Walking Dead, Dexter, Misfits and Merlin.

I've just finished Game of Thrones (for my 2nd time ^_~')
And I'm currently watching The Walking Dead (Where the mid-season finale made me cry.) Fringe... Which... Is still sodding awesome.
Supernatural (whose mid-season finale also made me cry. Bobby was a great character, and I loved the actor aswell. I'm also saddened about Castiels death, but I was expecting it to come, more or less :/)
Grimm (Which is rather... Underwhelming thusly.)
White Collar (Which contains some nice and witty writing, with some The Mentalist-esque stuff in there at times.)
The Mentalist (Getting a tad dull. Where in gods name is Red John!?)
Stargate SG-1... (Which... Is lovely. Not a huge fan of the season that I'm in (Wheres mah O'Neil!?) But then again, not anymore of it to come. It feels lovely having the entire set of SG-1 and Atlantis, in some way.)
Stargate Atlantis... (In which I love quite alot of the new cast to death. Especially Doctor WhatsHisFace, whom just seemed like an arse whenever he was seen in SG-1, but is alot more than... Well... An arse.)
Battlestar Galactica... (Finally got around to watching it again. Finished season 3 and forgot about it. One of my favourite Sci-fi shows of all time.)
House - (Love it. The witty and humourous writing makes it amazing.)
Aaaand last, but not least; Breaking Bad. Which I love to death.

Aaaaand I just recently finished Dexter (This season was quite boring and... Just not as good as the previous ones, guess it might be due to the fact that some of the old writers arent there anymore, and that its gotten a new director, yet again),
Misfits (Which I very much enjoyed this season, Rudy almost made up for Nathan! However the Nazi episode, as many of you have mentioned, was just unnecessarily weird and just felt... Weird. And the finale just felt rushed and dull, and now that we've only got 2 of the original crew, and Rudy left... Well, I'm not expecting much of the next season)
And Merlin (Whose season-finale also felt somewhat dull and rushed, alot of stuff happened in the episode, but alot of said stuff wasnt detailed and such, like getting a glimpse of their wedding, etc) :I
... I'm probably watching more stuff, and have probably finished alot more stuff recently, but my memory is terrible.

So, Sherlock, anybody? Thought it was absolutely fantastic, with a convincing and brilliant plot and some marvellous humour. Also Lara Pulver who certainly had some...gravitas for her role.
Ohai JG ;o. I'm yet to watch it, but I was thinking of watching some of it tonight... Guess I'll give it a try!

Also, if anyone are watching a great show that I havent mentioned, feel free to... Well, mention it! I'd love some recommendations.

TL;DR: Watching a ton of great shows, and I've definitely got excellent taste in eye-candy :P
... And I wouldnt mind even more good and / or great shows. :]

Ian
09-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Not watched any of this year's Sherlock yet, will be catching up tonight.

Last Friday and Saturday I watched all of A Game of Thrones and really enjoyed it. Mark Addy surprised me as when I first saw who he'd been cast as I feared the worst but he was quite good, the child actors were mostly pretty decent (annoying when they were meant to be being annoying) and the cast as a whole was great. Full of "Oh, what've I seen him/her in...?" types. And Charles Dance is always ace.

Kaira-
16-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Started watching Breaking Bad yesterday. I am intrigued, the pilot was rather nice one.

Lukasz
16-01-2012, 12:28 PM
community - incredibly funny and can't get enough of it. love every character, how nerdy it gets (more than Big Bang theory which in a way is quite sad)
top gear - while i am not interested in cars that much i do love the random shit they do.

Kadayi
16-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Started watching Breaking Bad yesterday. I am intrigued, the pilot was rather nice one.

Breaking bad is tops. You have to really see it as a very very black comedy though, as it spirals outwards over the seasons. Still great viewing though.

Ruralgeek
16-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Beavis and Butthead.
I forgot how much I missed those kids.

Xercies
17-01-2012, 09:58 AM
So the last episode of sherlock, really enjoyed it. Spoilers ahead.

So who kind of wanted Moriaty's fake life to be true? That was really interesting to me and it would have been an interesting take on the character. Interesting storyline though and im not to sure how Sherlock survived.

All in all quite a good series this one.

mrpier
17-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Sherlock spoilers ahoy.

Yeah, this episode was better than the last one. I'm sure Molly (the lab-girl) helped him out in some way, but I have no idea how they pulled it off. There was a little window there when Watson was hit by the bike, but then what about the other eyewitnesses?

Ian
17-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Spoilers, obviously.
Something to do with Molly and the moment that Watson couldn't see because he'd been knocked over and presumably Holmes wanted him in place (where he kept telling him not to move, to walk back a bit) so something to do with where "Sherlock" landed was obscured from his line of sight. The other witnesses? Dunno.

Moffat's got an obsession with his leads faking their deaths in a season finale at the moment, hasn't he?

calvinlume
18-01-2012, 10:05 AM
The office

Jockie
19-01-2012, 02:14 PM
New series of Justified just started. For those who've not seen it it's as though Timothy Olyphant's character from Deadwood were plucked from the show and shoved into a modern Police show, with a small town sensibility. It's very wittily written and tightly plotted with some fantastic performances, making it one of my favourite current shows (Also based originally on a crime short story by Elmore Leonard)

Also apparently the first episode from the new series of Spartacus is showing tomorrow via Facebook (you'll probably have to 'Like' or some shit, otherwise it returns on the 27th Jan), it'll be interesting to see if it can survive the departure of John Hannah and the tragic death of its lead as well as taking its first steps out of the relatively claustrophobic setting of the Ludus (apparently the budget is significantly bigger this year too).

mrpier
19-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Season 2 of Justified was ace, hope they can keep the quality up.

Last year I stopped watching a lot of shows:
Castle - Got too serious
Big Bang Theory - Growing stale
Dexter - I lost interest
True Blood - Too much of everything
Boardwalk Empire - For some reason it wasn't engaging enough, it's a good show, but something didn't click with me.
Burn Notice - Growing stale
House - Really growing stale

Probably gonna stop watching soon: How I met your mother, last few episodes have been terrible.

Kadayi
20-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Started watching Borgen on the BBC Iplayer. Albeit I enjoyed The Killing I & II (daft plot twists aside) I was a bit skeptical about this one as it's all politics. Though so far it's actually been quite interesting. True coalition politics in full effect.

The JG Man
20-01-2012, 10:39 PM
So I booted up the first episode of series 8 of Desperate Housewives on 4OD. The charm, intrigue and just general clever writing at the beginning of its run made it really enjoyable television. I took a minute to watch the opening to this video and just gave up. I had no interest in it. All the things they were trying to defy, there I was, watching all of them happen as obviously as anything else. Really disappointed there.

I suppose that gives me time to watch other stuff instead...

Komila
21-01-2012, 06:56 AM
I just started watching two new series. Camelot and The Killing.Camelot is a Star show. From the network that made Spartacus you'd hope this show is solid, but I haven't been too impressed.I've only watched two episodes of The Killing but I've really enjoyed it. Being based in my hometown is also awesome.

BillButNotBen
21-01-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm way out of touch, as there's not many ways to get western TV out in Japan... but I've recently been catching up on Dr Who, and surprised myself by getting quite into it. It's ridiculous, but great fun.

Game of thrones was great too... I wish i could watch Sherlock, and there are probably lots of other great shows that i haven't even heard of....

PS/ Is there anything good in the vein of Buffy or Firefly now?

Kandon Arc
22-01-2012, 12:40 AM
community - incredibly funny and can't get enough of it. love every character, how nerdy it gets (more than Big Bang theory which in a way is quite sad)

In my opinion, the difference is that Community celebrates nerd culture (particularly with Abed) whereas Big Bang Theory just laughs at it.

House - Really growing stale

I was thinking that at the end of the last season but this season it's been much better, Cuddy leaving has really made it less depressing; plus the new girls are much more enjoyable to watch than Masters last season. I still don't think I could take more than 1 or 2 seasons more though.

As for me Justified coming back is great, 1st episode was good and I hope they can keep it up. Looking forward to Game of Thrones in April.

The JG Man
22-01-2012, 03:27 AM
I wouldn't say Community celebrates nerd culture, more realising it's not as stupid as Big Bang Theory plays it to be. Sure, it's comedy and there will always be a victim in comedy, but BBT does absolutely nothing for me. I've tried watching clips/episodes and it's just stupid. It's like Friends, but where all the characters are Ross except one who's Rachel. Who would want to watch that?! Well, apparently, millions. If I want a comedy with nerds, I'll go for Community or Spaced and even then, I'll go towards the latter.

As for House, I find it's much more enjoyable just finding a random episode to watch and seeing House in action, as opposed to following the plots which I tended to find really stupid. It just never struck me as a plot-orientated show, except when it had to be. I enjoy it whenever I watch it, have to ask anyone I'm with who that character is, but the entertainment is still there.

Anyhow, despite having 3 new series on DVD to watch (Archer, which I've watched two episodes of and thought it was pretty good; Mad Men and Breaking Bad which I still haven't started on) as well as last week's Sherlock, which thanks to The Guardian I've had spoilt (spoilers in article titles will always, always annoy me, regardless of whether or not I watch the show) I instead chose to watch some Farscape from the blu-rays I picked up. Mid-wayish through season 2, including a 3-parter. Good god this show. It's just...there are parts in it that words can't describe just how damn good it is. Everything clicks in that way that is so satisfying. I've watched it all before, but I still said "Oooooooh shit!" when the bad guy did something in one sequence...and that was to say hello. The characterisation is amazing. Even the b-plots are good. Also, it doesn't harm that Claudia Black is in it. No harm there at all.

I'm trying to convince my friends who hold the remade Battlestar Galactica as the pinnacle of serial sci-fi (apart from Firefly, which is understandably harder to discuss with such a short run) that Farscape is worth watching and, dare I say it, far superior. ​In every way.

Xercies
22-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Hmm i have to say no to that, i mean I love Farscape dontt get me wrong but i think the themes of Battlestar Galactica are a lot more powerful.

Fringe is back and is rearing to go. Definitly started with an accelaration and seems to be keeping the speed. Im interested where these characters are going though. There is some really heart breaking stuff with Walter though a great performance of a man who has been crushed in life.

Drake Sigar
22-01-2012, 10:15 AM
I instead chose to watch some Farscape from the blu-rays I picked up. Mid-wayish through season 2, including a 3-parter. Good god this show. It's just...there are parts in it that words can't describe just how damn good it is. Everything clicks in that way that is so satisfying. I've watched it all before, but I still said "Oooooooh shit!" when the bad guy did something in one sequence...and that was to say hello. The characterisation is amazing. Even the b-plots are good. Also, it doesn't harm that Claudia Black is in it. No harm there at all. Scorpius is who Darth Vader should have been.

I got the DVD set for Christmas and absorbed the whole series within a week. Fantastic show, Battlestar Galactica doesn't compare.

jasons
23-01-2012, 06:32 AM
I am watching casesclosed online

bayonetbrant
23-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Glad Fringe is back on. I can finally get my wife to change the channel from HGTV. By way of explanation - we just bought a house and a doing a lot of the renovations ourselves. She likes watching other people doing their reno's on TV. Ostensibly, it's for "inspiration" but since we've had our paint, fixtures, hardware, etc, picked out forever I think she just wants to see people having a harder time of it than us.

Otherwise, I watch a lot of live sports lately. I do watch BBT and find it funny, even if some of the humor are cliches to us nerds/geeks/gamers.

I'm a fan of Warehouse 13 and Treme, but those are on in the summer.

Lately, though, I've watched a lot of That 70s Show whenever I land on the re-runs. I wasn't a fan of it while it was on, but about 4-5 years ago, one of the stations ran a marathon of it over Thanksgiving, and I got hooked that day - watched about 4 hours of it while prepping dinner and avoiding blowout football games. For Christmas that year, I ended up with the first 4 seasons on DVDs and watched them straight through in about 3 weeks.

At work, I've had my personal laptop on the desk with me and I've been rewatching the entire series of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, which I consider to be the high-water mark of TV drama from the past 10 years or so, and have NBC ever since they canned it.

BillButNotBen
24-01-2012, 07:12 AM
Is Fringe any good? I only saw a few trailers and it didn't look interesting enough to investigate. Is it x-files ish?

There seem to be so many great shows around now, and i have nowhere near enough time to check them all out. I'm sure there never used to be this many good shows back in the 70s/80s/90s. They used to be few and far between.

Actually, i was recently thinking that there are too many good/complex shows around that you have to invest in... it'd be nice to have something accessible and dumb like Buck Rogers or Xena.
Anyone have any recommendations for:

- A modern Xena?
- A modern Buffy. (How's Vampire Diaries? there's so many twilight clones around now it's hard to find anything good. (doesn't have to be vampires btw).
- A modern Farscape/Firefly

Xercies
24-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Fringe is excellent, I really didn't like the first half of the first season because it did seem like a poor mans The X Files but I think everyone said that and the witers kicked the storyline into gear, and it made the series awesome. It basically has great characters, an emotional place, and some ridiculously cool sci-fi storylines.

Heres an episode guide if you want to skip all the boring episodes and want to get to the good stuff(skip to the end where it says addendum to new viewers)

http://www.avclub.com/articles/olivia,45183/

A modern Xena?

I think Spartacus is the modern Xena from hearing about it and reviews, it is a lot more bloodier and has lots more explicit sex then what Xena did mind.

But if you want accessibility without worrying about plot lines - House is good, and any other of the crime shows out there.

Jockie
24-01-2012, 11:53 PM
I think Spartacus is the modern Xena from hearing about it and reviews, it is a lot more bloodier and has lots more explicit sex then what Xena did mind.[/COLOR]

I believe Spartacus has some of the same production staff as Xena/Hercules and of course, Xena (Lucy Lawless) is one of the main characters, and rarely an episode goes by in which she doesn't get naked.

Spartacus is great though, it tricks you into thinking its a blood and boobs teenage-boy's favourite show, but turns out to be a well plotted and fairly deep drama (i'm paraphrasing Charlie Brooker here tbh, but he expressed it rather well (http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/may/22/charlie-brooker-screenburn-spartacus))

Ian
25-01-2012, 10:52 AM
So I've made a start on The Wire season 3. It's grabbed me a little quicker than season 2 did. I'm really liking the Carcetti character. Seems a proper bastard. :)

Theblazeuk
25-01-2012, 11:14 AM
So I've made a start on The Wire season 3. It's grabbed me a little quicker than season 2 did. I'm really liking the Carcetti character. Seems a proper bastard. :)

He is, but at least he's one of the bastards with good intentions.

Kandon Arc
26-01-2012, 03:01 AM
Just found out Archer started again last week, with Burt Reynolds guest starring as himself. Have to watch that, the 3 episode arc with Patrick Warburton and David Cross last year was awesome.

Joseph-Sulphur
26-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Did any of you guys watch the first episode of Birdsong?

Xercies
26-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Anyone watching Alcatraz? It seems to me to be a bit to procedural, I like my long fornm storytelling and people getting pissed of Lost probably shouldn't apply since its another JJ Abrams drip feed mystery which doesn't drip feed you enough. But there is something there that still keeps me watching it, maybe I like Hurley so much(yes I know he has a real name and its a different character but its Hurley!). The thing is though the 1960s flashbacks are the best bit of it, and to be honest the procedural elements are the worst, I kind of want the focus to be on the 1960s prison stuff, an Oz 60s version if you will. Maybe its the actors are better or the characters are a lot more interesting in the 60s sections.

Centurion40
26-01-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm hoping that something soon happens in Alcatraz to keep my interest, as it is waning.