PDA

View Full Version : Arma 2 ZOMBIE NIGHT/DAY

EBass
19-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Right so considering the interest shown in the general discussion I've decided to make it OFFICIAL.

I propose we all get together sometime for a general zombie off. Few things that might make a bit hard though.

Firstly at the moment (and presumably the way the mod works for the forseeable future) you can only play on official servers, which at the moment I believe consists of two EU servers, a French server, a US server and a New Zealand server (bizarre) which are usually full at the times we'll want to play.

We could of course wait a bit until later on, but heres the thing the servers follow a 24h day/night cycle relevant to where the server is (so EU servers follow roughly GMT so if we play at night it'll be night on the server). Playing this mod at night isn't all that fun to be honest, its so dark its impossible to see ANYTHING without a flare which only provides light to about 5 feet around you and makes it almost impossible to aim in first person cos a gigantic flaming torch is strapped to your hand. Apparently NVGs do exist but they are friggin rare, I aint come accross any. So I figure best bet is maybe either to play at about mid-day for the best chance of getting as many people on as possible, or possibly play about 2pm on the yank server (it ain't bad at all really)

We'll all spawn in random places, we could of course communicate through mumble but I think that kind of takes the fun out of it, so I say we set a meet up point somewhere on the map and all endeavour to get there having little adventures and then team up with whoever makes it and go whack zombies.

Any takers/thoughts?

Wolfenswan
20-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Sounds good, as I'd expect the EU servers to be full on weekend hitting the US server at a sane time might be the better idea.

IceRaiser
20-04-2012, 04:49 AM
braaaaaiiiiinss

StrangLove
20-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Braaaaaaaaaaiiiiinssss

(Me, Weed, Ice, Head and Egg made it onto the FR server, and some of us managed to even rendevouz!)

Drake Sigar
20-04-2012, 09:33 AM
I know the land like the back of my ass, which is to say, not well at all. My only hope would be stumbling across another RPS member who knows where they're going.

I agree about Mumble though, it makes things too simple. I've always loved the idea of a game which forces you to establish locations beforehand in order to meet up later if players get separated, which is bound to happen in the confusion of combat. You shouldn't know anything about what's going on outside the immediate area.

Of course, the player hunters will promptly ruin that.

kataras
20-04-2012, 09:33 AM
I m in as well but depends on the time/day. I still have to dl the thing.
Are we looking to have this on a weekend?

Head
20-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Playing in the dark isnt that bad.

don't carry flares around near big towns, you properly get shot and looted

MadJax
20-04-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm in for this :)

StrangLove
20-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Player hunters are enough to make me seriously consider not playing this, but despite their arseyness, I still keep coming back. We had quite a good group going tonight, until the server hiccuped and splat us all over where we'd been for the last hour or so, with and without weapons and inventory.

MadJax
20-04-2012, 11:43 PM
The only good thing about player hunters is that they increase the tension between other survivors. Double edged though, as some just seem to shoot first when they see another player, regardless of whether they're a hunter or not.

Those who treat is like a glorified deathmatch deserve to be crucified though

Kelron
21-04-2012, 02:10 AM
Stay away from the big towns and airfields and you probably won't get shot by players very often. There were guys with sniper rifles and machine guns on rooftops in Chernogorsk, just shooting everyone they saw. I'll shoot other players if they look like they have something I want, but killing everything on sight is a waste of ammo.

Also, assume someone is trying to kill you all the time. I find it easier at night, but staying off roads and in cover as much as possible will let you spot other players before they spot you.

Drake Sigar
21-04-2012, 10:03 AM
I find if you manage to spot someone first and get close enough to talk, they won't shoot. Also don't run directly at people, it's startling.

Chaz
21-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Wow, I sure hope this never happens in real life, if peoples behaviour in this game is any indicator of how they'll act. Humanity would be doomed!

Together we stand, divided we fall, and all that.

MadJax
21-04-2012, 03:32 PM
It's pretty much expected thats how it'll end up, with the scum of society killing indiscriminately and stealing what they want :)

I've only encountered one player hunter that ended with us both on roofs taking potshots while zombies screamed for our blood in Elektro

EBass
22-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Yea Im with stang Im gonna give this a break for a little bit, I played today was out in the middle of nowhere had just killed a cow. See another dude running towards me so I aim at him, he says hes friendly and salutes me so I'm like dude whats up, he's like nothing. Soon as I start to cook meat he whips out his pistol and executes me

Harlander
22-04-2012, 11:46 AM
I find if you manage to spot someone first and get close enough to talk, they won't shoot. Also don't run directly at people, it's startling.

The number of accidental kills from misidentifying a running survivor must be immense.

I shot alex by mistake when he startled me, and later, a group of survivors capped me when I was rushing to the safety of the area they occupied

MadJax
22-04-2012, 12:10 PM
I found it's easier to keep your distance and walk slowly towards anyone, ready for anything :)

Drake Sigar
22-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Yea Im with stang Im gonna give this a break for a little bit, I played today was out in the middle of nowhere had just killed a cow. See another dude running towards me so I aim at him, he says hes friendly and salutes me so I'm like dude whats up, he's like nothing. Soon as I start to cook meat he whips out his pistol and executes me

Oh lord, that's hillarious. The few times I have run across someone I never turned my back on them. I'll only trust RPS members methinks.

kataras
22-04-2012, 03:24 PM
I enjoyed the 3-4 hours I spent yesterday with Strang, Head, Helios and Mr Weed.
Maybe a list of known assholes would be good for reference? We should get a ARPS/FOLK posse going and hunt them down!

Kelron
22-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Safest to greet everyone with a bullet to the head.

Drake Sigar
22-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I think killing someone for their supplies is a perfectly legitimate excuse in a survival game, but there's absolutely no reason to hunt down newbies in the starting coastal areas other than for shits and giggles. Which is why I welcome the upcoming morality system designed to point out scumbags.

DWZippy
22-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Hey now Kataras - I helped you out too.

kataras
22-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Hey now Kataras - I helped you out too.

Yes, apologies, you saved my ass and thanks!

egg651
23-04-2012, 03:19 AM
I also like to shoot zombies.

On the whole not using mumble thing - I under stand it, but am wholeheartedly against it. ArmA's direct VON sucks.

Head
23-04-2012, 08:44 AM
http://youtu.be/8pdKvO5iRgM

yey

kataras
23-04-2012, 09:11 AM
I really cannot play this game alone. Yesterday managed to die twice in 40 minutes from hordes. The last time I got ambushed by 3 zombies on a ladder, I mean what kind of zombie climbs a ladder? It was all due to my greediness though, I was trying to find a gun so desperately I wasn't careful.

I think Mumble is cool, although it does tend to get a bit too noisy at times. Maybe when people team up, they can move to a separate channel? Also split channels according to servers?

Siddin
23-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I never shoot other survivors on principle. If they shoot me, too bad. But I'm a nice guy! I'd probably be the first to die in a real-life zombie apocalypse, haha.
Using Mumble is cool because you can just chat about stuff. People metagaming and typing in side annoy me, but what can you do about it.

kataras
23-04-2012, 10:34 AM
I feel the same, I would not want to shoot unless they do. Having said that, in the 5 hours I ve played so far, I have yet to meet any non-RPS survivors.

What will the RPS death-squad be called? Are we looking to infiltrate other groups?

Kelron
23-04-2012, 12:05 PM
I never shoot other survivors on principle. If they shoot me, too bad. But I'm a nice guy! I'd probably be the first to die in a real-life zombie apocalypse, haha.

Yeah, that's the problem. Last time I chose not to shoot someone, because maybe he'd appreciate help with the horde of zombies chasing him, he shot me instead. I won't hunt down and kill every player I see, it's safest to stay away, but if someone I don't know comes within shooting distance, I'd rather not take the chance they're going to shoot me.

Drake Sigar
23-04-2012, 01:06 PM
A player killer came after me just north of Cherno. At least I think he was a player killer, he didn't bother to announce himself and chased me into a barn. I hid to one side of the door, but he was damned fast. We shot each other dead simultaneously.

I FINALLY have a positive experience with another player. It was nighttime and we teamed up to take on a small town. Got about halfway in before the zombies overwhelmed us.

Elesium
23-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Well you can knee-cap them instead? Lets you escape and you havn't killed them.

kataras
23-04-2012, 01:51 PM
I wish I had recorded Mr. Weed the other day shouting over VON to a guy we had surrounded in a barn, to come out peacefully otherwise we would come in and shoot him! (adding 'we mean you no harm')
They guy got scared and disconnected. I felt like a right bully.

DWZippy
23-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I shot a guy last night - Riddick. He had gear I needed. It's a zombie apocalypse, baby.

Harlander
23-04-2012, 02:11 PM
The player experiences I've had have varied depending on how close I got to the players.

The two guys me and Alex teamed up with were friendly and cooperative. The guy who assault-rifled us from behind who we never saw was not.
The person I teamed up with to head from Chernagorsk to the airfield was cool (I gave them my map when I disconnected) - the person who sniped me twice near the petrol station was not.

Even the people who shot me (I ran towards them hoping for safety - one yelled, "Shit, zombie!" and capped me. I survived, though, and they gave me medical attention. The moral of the story is don't run towards people.) - were pleasant.

Of course all of these stories end in my horrible death, but it's still overwhelmingly been to the undead.

wormball
23-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi guys

I was planning on joining you for a few games of arma a while ago but had a few pc problems (my first pc I've built in the last 10 years) but I've finally got it all sorted.

I'll try and make it to the next session you guys have but I've seen quite a few of you on the dayz servers so if you see me about it'd be great if we could team up, it's damn lonely in zombie country and I've been shot in the back more than once the trusting fool I am :)

Drake Sigar
23-04-2012, 04:05 PM
I thought setting up this mod was difficult, and then I tried Mumble. OH MY GO-

Think I've burned myself out on this game. It's just not interesting by yourself. Three days of playing and all I've got to show for it is one friendly encounter.

kataras
23-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Yes it is a lot more interesting with others. Should try and organize an evening and get a few of us on a server and meet up.

On a different note, I keep thinking this game needs anomalies and an anomaly detector...

wormball
23-04-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm on the outskirts of electra if any of you guys are near there, I found 4 tents filled with stuff so I'm armed to the teeth :) finally got some blood packs as well! I didn't realise you needed 2 people to use them thou

Bodge
23-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Some of us left elecktro and headed around the coast towards berezino, we got a little way south of kras. Are you wormball in game?

Kelron
23-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I shot a guy last night - Riddick. He had gear I needed. It's a zombie apocalypse, baby.

I'm in favour of not murdering people who approach a large group of us and put themselves at our mercy. We could've asked nicely for his stuff then shot him if he didn't give it to us.

wormball
23-04-2012, 07:01 PM
yeah in now not sure if Im on euro 1 or 2 though, they restarted them not long ago so at least you can join a bit quicker.

If you get on a server just let me know and I'll come and find you guys, I've got a map

Yes I am wormball in game

Harlander
24-04-2012, 08:15 AM
http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=45

The new version is out!

Some of you may be saddened that it's now impossible for multiple people to butcher the same animal. All the bugs relating to duplicating stuff by disconnecting are supposed to be fixed.

Most of you will probably be very pleased that Global, Command and Side VON channels have been disabled.

I'm personally interested by the morality mechanism, which changes your model once you've slaughtered enough dudes, though I doubt it'll stop the me-murderfest that is my DayZ experience. At least the last person who shot me did it while I could see them, though emptying two revolverloads into my unconscious form after I'd gone down did seem a bit gratuitous.

EDIT: They rolled it back? Curses

kataras
24-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Most of you will probably be very pleased that Global, Command and Side VON channels have been disabled.

Finally! Was getting so annoying. Yesterday I managed to stay alive alone and got a sniper rifle and a map after crawling through an entire village. Now to find someone with a better gun and steal it.
I am still surprised (and maybe fortunate) that I have yet to run into other survivors. Trekking through the woods for most of the time I played yesterday probably didn't help.

Annoying or not, I think the murderfest is what is gonna make this mod interesting in the long run and not the zombies. I think it will keep it dynamic for some time, since you don't keep your loot when you die and there is not gonna be people with good guns and supplies holding on to them forever.

Drake Sigar
24-04-2012, 01:09 PM
I got to play with Wormball for about 10 mins before the servers decided to update. Nice chap, gave me a rifle and ammo.

Kelron
24-04-2012, 01:14 PM
EDIT: They rolled it back? Curses

Because it broke all the servers.

Looks like they have a new one up, though.

EBass
24-04-2012, 02:01 PM
To be honest I think Im really done with this until the mod reaches its finished state. Its not so much that player killing is allowed and not really penalised, I fully support that and generally I hate enforced morality systems in persistant multiplayer games (fellucia/trammel killed Ultima online, not that you kids are probably old enough to remember that) Its more that once you understand the mechanics, zombies aren't a threat at all.

I mean its a survival game, but to survive you just need to hang out in the woods. The gameplay imperative is to find stuff but that stuff isn't really to help you survive its just to make you feel more powerful. After all, you can essentially kill infinite zombies with your basic pistol, as soon as one follows you it can't hit you if you keep running so all you need to do is run till you find an enterable house and then mow down the hordes.

Its not even like better stuff protects you against player killing, every death I've had since my first day playing has been player kills and not one has been a shoot out, its always been shot by a sniper from miles away (just griefing as the chance they shot me from 300 metres to loot my stuff is remote.) Or someone alluding to be friendly, before headshoting you with a revolver.

I find myself acting in this like I act in RPG games. Sometimes in RPGs I try to start a playthrough as an "evil" character and I can't do it cos it just seems so forced. (Ok so why am I murdering this guy so the town can get taken over by bandits? Oh right because I'm "evil" even though the town being taken over by bandits isn't in my interests whatsoever) Sometimes I think about wasting some dude for his nice gun but then I'm like nah man thats just being a dick, almost instantly before he shoots me in the head.

wormball
24-04-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm starting to feel like that but more due to the servers being so unstable, must be getting disconnected every 10 mins and with it taking ages to connect it's starting to get very frustrating.

You're definitely a target if you're alone though, I managed to get in a group with 5 others a few days ago and it makes it completely different as you can just bully others. The lone sniper is a bit of an issue though, probably be better if they made sniper rifles a lot rarer as they're not best suited for killing zombies anyway.

wormball
24-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Drake I'm just outside that little town we reached and were going to skirt. The servers keep crashing but I'm not up to owt so I'll keep trying but I am a bit stuck without a map (my fault :) so I'll hang about till we can re group.

kataras
24-04-2012, 02:53 PM
SNIP

I can understand this but I also think the beauty (or demise) of this mod will be the players. I have the feeling the zombies were not meant to be the main enemy but the players themselves. Some will choose to be dicks, some not and some depending on the situation. I really think this is what would keep it from becoming another zombie shooter, and Arma is not suited for fast gunplay like L2D for example. It's really up to the players to create their own (emergent?) stories. I m really getting a kind of STALKER vibe from this game (or maybe it's just wishful thinking). Ultimately it might need some kind of endgame as well as it will become tedious.

Having said that, I don't like the morality system either but maybe it will force people to think if they really 'need' to kill someone or not. There is very little stuff you need in order to survive, a map and food/drink. The rest is just out of greed.
I can imagine that bandits will be attacked on sight and it will make people think and really choose consciously whether they need to kill other players, instead of just doing it for the lulz.

I don't like playing a role either, good or bad, I prefer to make my own choices according to the situation and this is what I will try and do in the game. The other day when we encircled another player who was in a barn, it didn't feel right. He had done nothing against us. On the other hand, it's just a game and maybe I m taking it too seriously right? As I said before, I haven't had real encounters with others (who were not RPS people) so this might change in a week and I come back raging against the game.

Drake Sigar
24-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Drake I'm just outside that little town we reached and were going to skirt. The servers keep crashing but I'm not up to owt so I'll keep trying but I am a bit stuck without a map (my fault :) so I'll hang about till we can re group.

Yeah, I sent you a PM with our locations. Will log on and look for you on the server lists every so often. Hopefully things are sorted now.

Siddin
24-04-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm done with this mod for now. Just today I've been killed seven times by dudes who had better gear than me. Guys fully equipped with AK-47s, Alice backpacks, crossbows, you name it. It's incredibly frustrating after you've ran all the way up north to start near goddamn Kamenka AGAIN.

wormball
24-04-2012, 07:54 PM
man, me and drake have been running about together on and off all day (with the servers) we started at electro then headed inland you could've joined us, I've got to the point I'm scared to approach anyone if I'm alone! makes for quite a boring experience

Drake Sigar
24-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Wormball and I have a scout/assault relationship which has worked out well. It's certainly easier and more enjoyable to have a specific role in a group and experience the game's quirks with company, than find a tower to sit in alone all day and shoot anyone who wanders by. Don't ask me why the bandits do what they do, personally I think their approach is mind-numbingly boring.

Forums are up! - http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/

Harlander
25-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Aaargh, this mod.. It's frustrating and infuriating and I never seem to get anywhere before getting murdered but I keep playing it. It's got that roguelike vibe where starting again is so easy

Kefirz
25-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Ah, come in for the sunday mass :D

http://tinypic.com/r/205qkpl/6

EBass
26-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Thats what happens when you use the enfield.....

Kefirz
26-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Yeah :D
Btw, if anyone knows in which gas stations I can fill up my jerry can I would really appreciate your help.

EBass
26-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Someone said there was only two or three places you can fill gas cans at the moment, apparently one is a Mogelevka (totally wrong spelling but whatever) but I can't confirm that

Comrade Commissar
26-04-2012, 04:18 PM
I wonder if the one time I lied to people on a server about working gas stations after they found a Little Bird and we had to capture it before they did really already established itself as a myth.

Where did you read that, EBass? Remember when we stopped at Mogilevka with the Landrover and we could not fill up the jerry can or the car itself?

I don't think any of the gas stations work.

Smashbox
26-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Besides boosting combat effectiveness, is there any reason to cooperate? Also, is fortification/construction a part of this mod or planned to be in the future?

Kelron
26-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Besides boosting combat effectiveness, is there any reason to cooperate? Also, is fortification/construction a part of this mod or planned to be in the future?

Boosting combat effectiveness is a pretty good reason. Also more eyes, being able to heal each other, share equipment, and making it easier to find and repair vehicles. The dev team are keeping quiet about long term plans, maybe that's better than the mods that advertise a load of pipe-dream features that never materialise. I hope construction is on the table though, some form of construction is definitely possible in Arma, though zombie survival style junk-forts may not be.

Drake Sigar
27-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Couple of days ago me, Worm, Cap, and a Swiss cartographer did a bit of sightseeing, heading up Devil's Castle and the airfield. Good times!

Unfortunately the EU servers have removed third-person, and now I'm unable to play for more than 5 minutes without feeling extremely ill thanks to the shaky cam. Hopefully the devs will put third-person back in or provide an alternative option. If not... well, it's been fun while it lasted.

StrangLove
27-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Unfortunately the EU servers have removed third-person, and now I'm unable to play for more than 5 minutes without feeling extremely ill thanks to the shaky cam. Hopefully the devs will put third-person back in or provide an alternative option. If not... well, it's been fun while it lasted.

1: It's not the dev's choice (apart from on the servers they run), it's the difficulty the server is set to
2: play on the US or NY servers. Ping is not a real problem on them, as ARMA doesn't rely so much on a fast connection. Time overlap is usually quite good unless you want to play at night, US servers are daylight by about 1PM UK time.
3: If you're talking about the shakey-cam you get when injured, I agree that it's rather sickening, but if you're worried about the running cam shake, you can switch it off, or tone it down, in the options menu.

Wolfenswan
27-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Third-Person is a server-side option. But the head shaking can be disabled in the options -> Game options -> head bob.

Unaco
27-04-2012, 01:29 PM

They haven't specifically removed or disabled 3rd person. They've increased the difficulty (Expert I think it is). This has the effect of disabling 3rd person view, but also disables green crosshairs (so you need to use ironsights/optics, making firing from the hip less accurate), the ability to do spacebar scanning (where you can scan the horizon and find out if people are there), death messages (much better not to know unless you see their death) and, most importantly, the Friendly Unit information, where you look at someone and it tells you name etc. Seen as everyone is on the same side (BLUFOR in the game engine that is) it did feel a little cheaty/gamey to be able to ID people from 300 meters.

The harder difficulty makes the experience a little more 'hardcore' if you will... you can't peek round obstacles using 3rd person, if you (ever) fly a chopper it'll have to be done from the cockpit. It also eliminates all of the little shortcuts and such. However, it is a server admin choice... so it could be changed. I don't mind it... I prefer playing my ArmA on the harder difficulties.

Here's a breakdown of the difficulty levels and what they do.

http://wiki.zspecialunit.org/index.php?title=ArmA_2_Server_Difficulty_Settings

Wolfenswan
27-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Does anyone else have major issues connecting to a server? After minutes of "receiving data" I get stuck on "waiting for server response". Tried on EU1/2 and FR1/2

Drake Sigar
27-04-2012, 01:39 PM
2: play on the US or NY servers. Ping is not a real problem on them, as ARMA doesn't rely so much on a fast connection. Time overlap is usually quite good unless you want to play at night, US servers are daylight by about 1PM UK time.
All my friends play on the EU servers. And ping only isn't a problem depending on where you are.

Third-Person is a server-side option. But the head shaking can be disabled in the options -> Game options -> head bob.
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Edit: It works! Now I can physically play, but after 20 mins I just don't want to anymore. Think I'll go try that new multiplayer Mount & Blade.

wormball
27-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I was hoping you'd come and find me I've got lost in the north trying to find our campsite.

It is getting boring playing solo though, it's very monotonous treking through the woods trying to avoid bandits and it seems to be getting harder to team up with ok people as everyones so wary, myself included.

StrangLove
27-04-2012, 03:29 PM
And ping only isn't a problem depending on where you are.

Your 'location' reads 'Jolly Ole England', so I assumed you were playing from the UK. I'm playing from the UK and have absolutely no problem with ping when connecting to or playing on US servers. Aussie servers are a different matter.

Drake Sigar
27-04-2012, 04:28 PM
I was hoping you'd come and find me I've got lost in the north trying to find our campsite.

Our hidden tent? It disappeared with one of the server restarts. I have no sense of direction, but I still managed to find the site without a compass and map. :P

Kelron
27-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Tents don't work properly right now.

J.B.
29-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Just tried DayZ. That's some tense gaming right there. Awesome stuff.

kataras
30-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I will be having more time to play games from this week and I wanna play some more of this mod with RPS people, as alone it gets kind of boring.

J.B.
30-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I wanna play some more of this mod with RPS people, as alone it gets kind of boring.

Agreed!

Also, good work Mr.Weed and Darkwingstalker on getting your tips into one of the survival guides on the DayZ forum =)

Drake Sigar
30-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Third person has been activated on some servers, and also there are more servers.

Wormball is moving house so unless I can find another RPS member, I'll be playing wood hermit for a few days. Don't want to risk losing my equipment. :/

Bodge
01-05-2012, 12:38 PM
make sure you guys are getting on mumble, we had an awesome session last night.

EBass
01-05-2012, 12:52 PM
I wonder if the one time I lied to people on a server about working gas stations after they found a Little Bird and we had to capture it before they did really already established itself as a myth.

Where did you read that, EBass? Remember when we stopped at Mogilevka with the Landrover and we could not fill up the jerry can or the car itself?

I don't think any of the gas stations work.

Game forums, so its hardly 100% koser. I did remember when we stopped at Moglievka, but I figured it was quite possible we had missed the exact point to fill up gas, the context sensitive command system in arma can be a mite finicky.

J.B.
01-05-2012, 02:35 PM
make sure you guys are getting on mumble, we had an awesome session last night.

I had a decent run with Weed and Caper this morning too =)

(I glitched off a roof at the airfield and died before trying to hook up with them)

All aboard! (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198000864219/screenshot/577828942417124917?tab=public)

Kelron
02-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Game forums, so its hardly 100% koser. I did remember when we stopped at Moglievka, but I figured it was quite possible we had missed the exact point to fill up gas, the context sensitive command system in arma can be a mite finicky.

Dev implied you can fill up empty cans from the large fuel tanks, just not from pumps (because they don't work without power). Don't know if Mogilevka has those.

Alex Bakke
02-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Gunfights at the airfield are amazing. Highlights include chucking a frag into the fire station back entrance and having a buddy shoot the enemy as they ran out the other side.

Drake Sigar
03-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Yesterday my crappy Internet connection saved my character's life. I was looting a house when I was cut off by my router. Logged back in a few minutes later to find a bandit with a CZ hunting rifle (the only reason to have that gun is for player killing, the noise makes it useless against zombies) hovering over the loot pile in front of me. I pumped half an AK magazine right into his spine.

Drake Sigar
04-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Oh dear. I have broken legs and no morphine. Someone help! :(

Bodge
04-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Where are you?

kataras
04-05-2012, 05:49 PM
I keep thinking an organized FOLK session for this mod would be amazing... Or a disaster but either way should be fun.

Drake Sigar
04-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Where are you?

Edit: I think I'm ok now. My character seems to have reverted back to an earlier version...

J.B.
04-05-2012, 06:47 PM
I died in a barn in Drozhino (ESE of Zelenogorsk) earlier, if anyone's passing it might be worth checking if my corpse is still there, had some fairly decent gear. Oh, yes, on server EU5.

unangbangkay
11-05-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm about to start playing in a few hours, but I was wondering if anyone has been applying the latest ARMA II OA "unofficial" beta patches. Does doing so prohibit you from playing on servers that have older versions of the patch?

Also, anyone from Asian regions around willing to fumble around during America and Europe's early mornings/late afternoons with pings past 250 :D

J.B.
11-05-2012, 04:07 PM
The beta patches should not prevent you from playing on servers with the older patches on, no.

I'm about to update my Arma2 as well =)

unangbangkay
11-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Hm, before I embark on that journey, though, I'll need to update my friggin' BattlEye! It keeps kicking me off after about 10 mins into a session, demanding client version 1.151 (even though I already have the latest download direct from the Battleye site). Any advice?

fer
11-05-2012, 07:20 PM
I keep thinking an organized FOLK session for this mod would be amazing... Or a disaster but either way should be fun.

If we were able to set up or borrow a server for this, it would certainly be fun to run such an event in place of a regular Folk session. BTW, for those players who came for Day Z, I hope some of you will stay for Folk Sessions (Sundays) (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2540-README-Folk-Sessions-%28Sundays%29) and Tactical Tuesdays (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2518-README-Tactical-Tuesday).

Kelron
11-05-2012, 07:27 PM
If we were able to set up or borrow a server for this, it would certainly be fun to run such an event in place of a regular Folk session. BTW, for those players who came for Day Z, I hope some of you will stay for Folk Sessions (Sundays) (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2540-README-Folk-Sessions-%28Sundays%29) and Tactical Tuesdays (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2518-README-Tactical-Tuesday).

I don't think that's likely to be possible. You can't run private servers due to the persistent aspects, and I'm not sure it would be much fun without the constant paranoia. A large group of players cooperating with each other would make short work of the zombies.

Unaco
11-05-2012, 07:32 PM
If we were able to set up or borrow a server for this, it would certainly be fun to run such an event in place of a regular Folk session.

This. Something along the lines of CHKilroy's Days Ahead videos... get a big bunch of us on the server, meet up, give ourselves some objectives, split off into a couple groups, and see what comes of it.

@Kelron,
A large group of players might be able to handle Zombies... but what happens when a large group of players meets a large group of players?

Nullkigan
11-05-2012, 08:47 PM
This. Something along the lines of CHKilroy's Days Ahead videos... get a big bunch of us on the server, meet up, give ourselves some objectives, split off into a couple groups, and see what comes of it.

@Kelron,
A large group of players might be able to handle Zombies... but what happens when a large group of players meets a large group of players?

Apparently you can get a server by giving the devs demote desktop access to a dedicated server box. We have a dedicated server box, but I'm against letting them have access to our hardware because I don't know them personally.

[edit: sanitised somewhat, I should not post after drinking]

Kelron
11-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Apparently you can get a server by giving the devs demote desktop access to a dedicated server box. We have a dedicated server box, but I'm against letting them have access to our hardware because I don't really know who they are, what drama they're involved in, or if any of them are just going to say "fuck it" and upload shit-tonnes of horse porn because too many dumbasses complained about not being able to refill their flasks.

Rocket, the lead dev, is a Bohemia employee, no idea about the rest of them. But I think one of their requirements is that you keep the server public, they don't want people farming on private servers then joining public ones to kill everyone. Playing with a group is fine, I just don't think it's well suited to a Folk session.

Draakon
12-05-2012, 11:51 AM
IMO, DayZ and FOLK sessions don't mix. Both require different play styles.

Unaco
12-05-2012, 12:36 PM
IMO, DayZ and FOLK sessions don't mix. Both require different play styles.

Well... FOLK players are not limited to one single play style. We can play differently, in different situations. We could do that, you know. Drop the FOLK style and play differently...

I don't think anyone was suggesting this replaces a FOLK Sunday, or anything like that. Just that getting a server (all our own) and getting a bunch of us (who we know, somewhat) onto that server, and playing across a day (or two) would be quite fun. Something along the lines of The Days Ahead videos by CHKilroy, with them splitting into two groups at the start, and one group taking to murdering. With that sort of set up, we could enforce or introduce our own gentleman's agreements, maybe some objectives to be completed, and we wouldn't have to worry (too much, or as much as in standard DayZ) about some random guy murdering you for nothing.

I wasn't suggesting it happen now... so no need to even think about giving them access Null. There has been talk of a DayZ Lite system/server that they might consider the possibility of working on in the future. For what I'm suggesting, we'd only need permanence for as long as the game lasts (a day, or two at the most) and wouldn't need any permanence in the global DayZ system... we'd only need permanence for our server and our people. Will have to wait and see what (if anything) comes of DayZ lite though.

Draakon
12-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Well... FOLK players are not limited to one single play style. We can play differently, in different situations. We could do that, you know. Drop the FOLK style and play differently...

I wasn't speaking about players, I was speaking about THE Sunday FOLK sessions. At least that's what I think was talked about.

kataras
13-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Actually when I proposed it I was thinking more of getting a bunch of (FOLK/ARPS) people on one server and playing together. However it would be difficult to ensure we find one with enough open slots.

I was thinking more of an organized assault on places like military bases etc where we would find other players camping the better weapons spots etc. As in 'liberating' them for the people and then announcing it on chat or something. It could be a social experiment, very chaotic and maybe even fun. I was not suggesting that it replaces a FOLK session but it could also replace it, just for a change.

unangbangkay
14-05-2012, 05:04 AM
I was thinking more of an organized assault on places like military bases etc where we would find other players camping the better weapons spots etc. As in 'liberating' them for the people and then announcing it on chat or something. It could be a social experiment, very chaotic and maybe even fun. I was not suggesting that it replaces a FOLK session but it could also replace it, just for a change.

I got into one of those incidents the other night, outside Elektro-something town, a couple of guys were constantly broadcasting in the chat that the town was "clear of bandits". Stalking on the outskirts I'd soemtimes hear shots fired, then another "clear" declaration, usually following a player death message. They had holed up inside the church and lit practically half the town with flares. The front entrance was such a mountain of zombie corpses that the lag would occasionally display them as alive and animating in place.

I joined in and hung out with them for a while, but then we got slaughtered when some jerk in full camo with NVGs and an assault rifle camped behind the corner, then gunned us all down when we came outside to help an incoming new person.

Moraven
15-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Which RPS steam group everyone forming at?