PDA

View Full Version : DOTA 2: RPS community ?

Drayk
26-04-2012, 08:21 AM
EDIT:

A bit to late coz there are other threads around but here is some basic info on the RPS DOTA 2 community

1. Steam Grou (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSDota)p (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSDota)
2. Members spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Atb8gHlvGgEpdDl0c19ITk9wbnV3MG5GRmEwcVhOM Gc#gid=0)
3. I (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP71jviy5AI&feature=youtu.be)nhouse game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP71jviy5AI&feature=youtu.be) commented by Randomgerbil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP71jviy5AI&feature=youtu.be)

----------

Hi guys,

I got invited in DOTA 2 last week and i just played two games. I find it quite interesting, I never played a MOBA before but I am willing to play a bit.

Are you guys playing DOTA 2, do you have any tips for a beginner ? Do you have a special group on steam ?

Having read some nasty things about the community I would prefer to play with the nicer folks from RPS...

Cheers,

Drayk

Hou5ter
26-04-2012, 04:36 PM
I would love to play Dota 2 with you! Im a little new to the Dotas and the 2s but ive played some (WC3) Dota games.
If you are at all intrested in playing with me my name on steam is: Hou5ter!

etusa
26-04-2012, 04:54 PM
There really aren't any shortcuts to get better, you just have to play a lot. Though you could spare yourself from a lot of rage from your team (and probably win more) if you dont pick carries so often, as you aren't that good yet. Carries are the late game classes, that "carry" your team to victory. They require a lot of farming and knowledge how to engage your fights. What I would suggest is to go for supports for a while to get a feeling for the game. Lich, Vengeful Spirit, Crystal Maiden for example.

As a supports its crucial to buy a courier for your team (so that people can get items from the shop without leaving the lane), upgrade the courier to a flying one when you can and keep wards up (a ward provides vision around itself). All of these you can buy from the shop.

When you are in lane, play careful and do NOT auto-attack the creeps (dont just stand still and let your character hit the enemy creeps). Move around all the time a bit so you dont do that. Thats because if you attack enemy creeps all the time, the lane will get pushed because the enemy creeps die faster than your creeps (the creepwave will be closer to enemy tower) and it leaves you vulnerable to ganks (when someone comes from another lane to kill you, its called a gank. Previously mentioned wards, that give map vision, will hopefully let you see them coming and give time for you to back out). When your creeps are >50% hp, you can also attack them. By attacking your own creeps, the lane gets pushed towards your tower, which is ideal. A large part of the laning phase is getting the last hit on the enemy creeps (you get money), and getting the last hit on your creeps (you deny a portion of the xp the enemies get from that creep and also you deny the money they would get). However, if you decide to play supportish, you often need to let your laning partner (initiator, carry, something else) get the last hits, cause he will make more use of the gold (hopefully). In this situation, focus on hitting your creeps when they are >50% and trying to get the deny on your creeps. Another thing to focus on is harassing the enemy heroes (especially if you are a ranged support). However while harassing you need to be careful not to take significantly more damage than you are dealing.

If you play by those tips, you will already be a better player than most of the players that have not played much!
As a general rule, play a lot of different heroes and always carefully read what their abilities are. After you know what each hero can do the only thing you need to do is to think a bit in advance. If you run there, can they just stun you and kill you? If you stun that hero, is it an easy kill? And so forth.

Also, prepare to be raged and yelled at. It'll take a lot of games to get good. And when you think you are finally any good, it is most important to realize that you are still shit. A huge number of players are cocky and arrogant, but only a few have the right to be.

Try to have fun!

Randomgerbil
26-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Yes please. I'm always looking for more nice folk to play these games with, rather than those shouty bad men. I've got a Mumble server we can use. it's only 15 slot, but it'll do for now. If tons of people start using it, I'll be happy to up the capacity. I've got a decent amount of experience, and I'll be happy to mentor newbies as well. My contact details below.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Randomgerbil

Mumble:
IP: 85.236.101.45 Port:1912

Feel free to add the server info to the OP.

I look forward to playing with you.

Drayk
26-04-2012, 06:59 PM
There really aren't any shortcuts to get better, you just have to play a lot. Though you could spare yourself from a lot of rage from your team (and probably win more) if you dont pick carries so often, as you aren't that good yet. Carries are the late game classes, that "carry" your team to victory. They require a lot of farming and knowledge how to engage your fights. What I would suggest is to go for supports for a while to get a feeling for the game. Lich, Vengeful Spirit, Crystal Maiden for example.

As a supports its crucial to buy a courier for your team (so that people can get items from the shop without leaving the lane), upgrade the courier to a flying one when you can and keep wards up (a ward provides vision around itself). All of these you can buy from the shop.

When you are in lane, play careful and do NOT auto-attack the creeps (dont just stand still and let your character hit the enemy creeps). Move around all the time a bit so you dont do that. Thats because if you attack enemy creeps all the time, the lane will get pushed because the enemy creeps die faster than your creeps (the creepwave will be closer to enemy tower) and it leaves you vulnerable to ganks (when someone comes from another lane to kill you, its called a gank. Previously mentioned wards, that give map vision, will hopefully let you see them coming and give time for you to back out). When your creeps are >50% hp, you can also attack them. By attacking your own creeps, the lane gets pushed towards your tower, which is ideal. A large part of the laning phase is getting the last hit on the enemy creeps (you get money), and getting the last hit on your creeps (you deny a portion of the xp the enemies get from that creep and also you deny the money they would get). However, if you decide to play supportish, you often need to let your laning partner (initiator, carry, something else) get the last hits, cause he will make more use of the gold (hopefully). In this situation, focus on hitting your creeps when they are >50% and trying to get the deny on your creeps. Another thing to focus on is harassing the enemy heroes (especially if you are a ranged support). However while harassing you need to be careful not to take significantly more damage than you are dealing.

If you play by those tips, you will already be a better player than most of the players that have not played much!
As a general rule, play a lot of different heroes and always carefully read what their abilities are. After you know what each hero can do the only thing you need to do is to think a bit in advance. If you run there, can they just stun you and kill you? If you stun that hero, is it an easy kill? And so forth.

Also, prepare to be raged and yelled at. It'll take a lot of games to get good. And when you think you are finally any good, it is most important to realize that you are still shit. A huge number of players are cocky and arrogant, but only a few have the right to be.

Try to have fun!

Hey that's exactly the kind of tips I needed.

Ok I put you guys on my steam list. Hope to see you around.

UrQuan
26-04-2012, 07:20 PM
All you fine chaps seem like awesome company to play DotA with. Add me on Steam and I'll invite you to my parties I try to keep hostility free (well, there's some funny flaming for laughs, but no one should rage like the pubs) :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kohr-ah

Blurr11
26-04-2012, 10:18 PM
I would be in (I made an account on this form just to post in here), I don't play as much as I want and that's mostly cos playing by myself is no fun add me im Blurr11

Randomgerbil
26-04-2012, 11:44 PM
All you fine chaps seem like awesome company to play DotA with. Add me on Steam and I'll invite you to my parties I try to keep hostility free (well, there's some funny flaming for laughs, but no one should rage like the pubs) :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kohr-ah

I went to add you to my friends list and I saw this:

Aparently, I got pub-stomped by you. Small world.

UrQuan
27-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Not a nice way to meet someone, to be honest, with an 12-1 Windrunner :D. Might've seemed like a jerk there, from all the messing around :P. We were actually three there, with the other two with the tag being another arranged duo.

Runciter
27-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Is it too late for me to get in on this? Got my beta key a couple of weeks ago. I've been playing against bots since as I didn't want to ruin anyone's pub game by being really rubbish as I've heard bad things about the community.

It would be nice to play some games against/with others who aren't hell bent on winning every game and won't scream the air blue if I make mistakes.

I started off with Sniper as he seemed the easiest to get to grips with (even though he's a carry). I tried out Shadow Shamen, Necrolyte and Lion last night and did ok with them. I have been playing against the "Easier" bots so far but am finding it difficult as 4 of them will group up and will wipe the majority of my team (starting with me) and then will stick together for the rest of the game bashing any of my team that tries to look for an opening (doesn't help that one of my team will say "pushing mid" then when I join them they run off the other way!). We still somehow win, but I think that's more down to the opposition teams stupidity at times than outplaying them!

Thanks to etusa for the tips for noobs above, I've been leaving auto-hit on and consequently farming but pushing towards the opposition tower. I'll turn it off and see how I get on.

My SteamID is as my name (I even have the same profile image):

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Runciter/

Randomgerbil
27-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Not a nice way to meet someone, to be honest, with an 12-1 Windrunner :D. Might've seemed like a jerk there, from all the messing around :P. We were actually three there, with the other two with the tag being another arranged duo.

Oh don't worry, we were a four, with a rouge omni-knight. I don't mind getting stomped occasionaly, so long as I can stomp as well, on the odd occasion :P

I'll set up an in game chat channel and a steam group tonight. If get enough players, we can start playing in houses and mentoring new guys and all that good stuff.

I'm excited now :3

Drayk
27-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I am gonna play one game or two tonight when the kids and wife are asleep.

Played one game with Odin yesterday, was awful with it, but we manage to win (mostly beacause we go carried by a really good player).

Randomgerbil
27-04-2012, 11:09 PM
So, I've set up the steam group and crudely shooped a logo. If anyone can do better, contact me.

Here's the URL: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSDota

I recomend we put this stuff in the OP.

cosmicolor
28-04-2012, 12:15 AM
I play it occasionally, PSO2 has been taking up my Gaming Time lately so I haven't been on it so often lately. I have a terrible, terrible habit of giving people my ids and then not playing with them so I don't know if I should post mine here yet....

ezekiel2517
28-04-2012, 02:43 AM
I am semi-experienced, but vs bots only and in the first DotA. Haven't really played this one for a fear of the hostile community as well.

Just joined the group.

Runciter
28-04-2012, 10:18 AM
I play it occasionally, PSO2 has been taking up my Gaming Time lately so I haven't been on it so often lately. I have a terrible, terrible habit of giving people my ids and then not playing with them so I don't know if I should post mine here yet....

I know what you mean about not always being able to / wanting to play. Just join the group and don't worry about being able to play all the time. I'm loving it at the moment so am playing it a lot, but I've got a whole host of games on Steam that I have hardly played so I need to give some time to those (just pre-ordered Torchlight 2) and will probably pick up Toy Soldiers before the end of the day. I'm also playing quite a few games against bots on my own so I can get used to the heroes.

mrki
28-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Joined as well. :) So far I have played just a few games by myself against bots to practice last hitting and get at least somewhat familiar with the heroes. I'd be up for some games, be it coop against bots or normal games.

cosmicolor
28-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Well I just went ahead and joined it anyway so maybe I will actually play it again eventually.

Randomgerbil
30-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Well, I've played quite a few games with you lot over the course of the weekend, and I thouroughly enjoyed myself. Some of you have a lot to learn, but I'm confident we can get you up to speed, and in a friendly enviroment too! The Steam group is growing, and in time I think we'll be able to arange fairly balanced 5v5 games.

vivlo
30-04-2012, 12:35 AM
Hey folks ! Count me in !
i'm totally shite at Dota2, used to be littlelessshit at LoL, still alittlelessshit at SotIS (sc2 dota-like map which was good at some point in the time).

steam name's xelnagazchild

Rauten
30-04-2012, 02:30 AM
Joined up, for the most part I'm quite shite, but when your team isn't full of text abusing mongrels, I find the game to be very fun; even when losing; which is what I actually do.

boats
30-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I just joined. Looking forward to playing with you all.

DigitalSignalX
01-05-2012, 10:01 AM
If you're looking for good channels to find pw games, I'd suggest reddit and redditnoobs, also teamliquid. They're usually populated at all hours and have in-house games going at various degrees of skill.

Gaz
03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Joined the steam group, have been playing some LoL since january but am not particularly good, have only played bot matches so far in DOTA 2 but would enjoy trying to get a bit better with some guys who aren't going to rage when I inevitably make a dumb mistake ;p

Randomgerbil
03-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Right, we have a decent quantity of people, so if you're not doing anything better on Saturday night from 7 pm BST onwards, we will be playing dota. Absolutely all skill levels are welcome with open arms. Should be fun. I'm proposing we do 5v5, with some of the more "pub style" game modes of Single Draft, Random Draft and All Random. Any of you who have already played with me know that mumble is what we use for voip. It'd be great if anyone who's intrested in playing and doesn't already have it installed gets it on their system, so at the very least they can listen. It's a pretty quick job, and should only take 5-10 minutes depending on you conection speed.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

I think that's the gist of it, I'll get a event set up on the steam group. Looking forward to playing with you :)

UrQuan
04-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Some rivalry groups have already formed. The things are getting awesome :D

Drayk
04-05-2012, 09:16 AM
I could probably play but latter than 7pm. If a spot opens I'll gladly help a team to lose ! (I always get ganked, maybe i am not careful enough.)

Runciter
04-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Curses! I'm going to miss out :(

I've got family staying with me over the weekend so won't be able to play Dota until tuesday night!

Good luck and hope you all have fun.

Universal Hamster
04-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi, I'm up for a game, though I have played once so far and was scared off by the massive "What-the-hell?" factor.

I'm Universal Hamster on steam too.

hal9000
05-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Hey I've joined the Steam group. I'm a terrible player but I'm having fun the game anyway.
Steam name: Hal9000

Gaz
06-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Had a lot of fun on mumble and playing DOTA last night, definately a good mix of skill ranges and the better players were always willing to give some advice. So if you've been holding off joining in or talking to anyone in the steam group take the plunge and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Drayk
06-05-2012, 07:54 PM
I had tons of fun yesterday too. i am still terrible but got lots of good tips form my fellow partners and opponents.

Listenning to 8 brits at the same time while playing is a bit overwhelming at times since english isn't my first language but I managed I think.

Looking forward for the next game.

Ruffian
11-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Count me in too fellas! THEY CALL ME "Satchmo"
looking forward to playing with some decent people.

Randomgerbil
11-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Inhouse night, tommorow at 8 o'clock BST. All skill ranges welcome. As always, voice comms on mumble, server info in the RPS Dota steam group. See you folk then :)

Vulpus
12-05-2012, 02:46 AM
Hello there! I hope I'll catch some games with you fellas since I play Dota a lot, and I'm always looking for new people.
cya in-game, my steam acc is: vulpus_ feel free to add me if you want :)

somanyrobots
13-05-2012, 03:54 AM
Joined the group; I'm a fairly inactive RPS-ite (I'm in the Blood Bowl crowd), but I've been playing dota 2 for a couple of months with some friends, and more nice people to queue with is always a good thing. steam id: somanyrobots

DWZippy
13-05-2012, 09:25 AM
How can I get a key for this these days?

KorbenGoodkat
13-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi there, some nice tips in this thread! Joined the steam group, just an early warning in case any of us group up in the future, I'm still learning how to play. :)

Ray
14-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Hey guys, I'm always up for some games, solo queuing is beginning to get somewhat annoying. Slowly managing to learn the ropes of dota, steam account is http://steamcommunity.com/id/-Ray-/, feel free to add me :)

hal9000
14-05-2012, 07:38 PM
How can I get a key for this these days?

Register in Playdota forums and post on this thread (http://www.playdota.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549077). They give 180 keys daily. I've got mine there in a couple of days.

graphitezeppelin
15-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Joined the group also going to just leave this here . . . http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198041703201
Please go ahead and send me a friend request, I know my dota pretty well and absolutely refuse to solo que. Also I love helping people learn how to play so if I can I would gladly be of assistance. Really would like to get involved and have a larger group to play with so expect to see me around in houses if you'll have me.

ReAl
17-05-2012, 12:12 PM
I joined the group too. I didn't play a moba in quiet awhile which means im a noob but im gonna check it out playing with bots first.

Go ahead and add me if you like:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/r3a1

Battle Programmer Spike
18-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Some dubious fella named "Yeah!" (ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198036853979) is using the group chat to spam something about steam games being free, linking an even more dubious site: steamgamesadder or something like that. Caution advised.

ReAl
18-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Some dubious fella named "Yeah!" (ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198036853979) is using the group chat to spam something about steam games being free, linking an even more dubious site: steamgamesadder or something like that. Caution advised.

Just wanted to post the same seems like he's going through the playerlist of the whole group...

vivlo
19-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Just wanted to post the same seems like he's going through the playerlist of the whole group...

been facing this too

Randomgerbil
20-05-2012, 03:21 PM
If anyone feels they need a little coaching before they start matchmaking, I'm available to teach today. Just send me a steam message and I'll happily oblige. I've also kicked "Yeah !"

Hunchback
22-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Is this still (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSDota)the official RPS Dota2 group? Only 43 members?

Hunchback
22-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Created a Rock, Paper, Shotgun chatroom ingame, join up...

Randomgerbil
03-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Hiya guys. I'm sorry there hasn't been much work done on my end in a while with regards to setting up inhouses and such. This is because of some personal issues I've been having. If anyone would like to step in and admin the group, let me know and I'll set it up.

vee41
10-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Joined, hope to play with some of you soon!

kijiimiji
10-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Dota 2 is really awesome, though i still cant move on on Dota

ReAl
11-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Hiya guys. I'm sorry there hasn't been much work done on my end in a while with regards to setting up inhouses and such. This is because of some personal issues I've been having. If anyone would like to step in and admin the group, let me know and I'll set it up.

Maybe should do it like the Tribes: Ascend RPS group where everyone can schedule a event worked well in that group and was not abused yet.

Coccyx
12-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Hey guys, I (and a few friends) just got beta keys from Rezzed. Although our combined interest has been piqued, we're looking for someone with any level of experience to come and show us the ropes. Or some of the ropes. Or at least get us past the initial 'how the hell does any of this work' phase! Seriously, we're completely clueless at the moment - any helpers?

ReAl
12-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Hey guys, I (and a few friends) just got beta keys from Rezzed. Although our combined interest has been piqued, we're looking for someone with any level of experience to come and show us the ropes. Or some of the ropes. Or at least get us past the initial 'how the hell does any of this work' phase! Seriously, we're completely clueless at the moment - any helpers?

You can learn alot from guides on playdota.com and dotafire.com beside that watch streams/vod's on joindota.com and play bot matches.

Useful video guides:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL24EB71B773DFB306

You can also add me in steam if you like (same name as here) im not a pro but i know my way around the most heroes ;)

Dentharial
12-07-2012, 07:27 AM
As a super newbie myself, I'm also slowly learning and trying to get better. Feel free to add me on Steam (also the same name as here) and I'm more than willing to share the knowledge I've picked up, or try playing together in some well-mannered and flaming free games.

vee41
12-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Feel free to add me in steam aswell ( vee41 ). I've played a bit and understand most heroes, that does not stop me from sucking though. :)

vee41
12-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Oh, Star Ladder finals are live just about now. If you want to check out some live pro gaming head here: http://www.absolutelegends.net/streams/763797/joinDOTA-with-TobiWan

It's good and fun way to learn the game :)

Randomgerbil
14-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Hiya guys, I've set up the group so anyone can schedule an event, as ReAl suggested, and I'm around to teach some newbies :)

MalkContent
16-07-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm thinking of trying to organize a new players vs new players match at some point this week so that everyone on either side of the match is on a fairly equal level. Just plonking this here to gauge interest and see if we can work out a day.

Coccyx
16-07-2012, 12:41 PM
I would definitely be up for that, and I'm pretty sure Ayam and Fiyenyaa would be also.

grasskit
16-07-2012, 01:01 PM
this guide is also quite good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f-jR3Vo3Rw

XisLoose
16-07-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm so happy you guys made this group, it's a vicious world for MOBA-noobs :S

anyway I joined =]

Milos
16-07-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm up for any and all organized matches within the group, so I'll join that newbie match if we manage make it happen.

MalkContent
17-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Well I have a fairly regular 5 man team, although we are pretty tight we are gracious opponents. Add me on steam if you are interested: http://steamcommunity.com/id/alderneyvamp/ as it is the most regular way to find me.

Dentharial
17-07-2012, 07:25 AM
I love the idea of a 5v5 newbie match.

Also, a few of you have added me, but I'm yet to actually say hi because I'm typically always busy with either work or gaming. Even if we can't get 10 people together, maybe we can start with 5 and have a match either against randoms or against bots, with a more experience player doing some explaining?

MalkContent
17-07-2012, 09:50 AM
I love the idea of a 5v5 newbie match.

Also, a few of you have added me, but I'm yet to actually say hi because I'm typically always busy with either work or gaming. Even if we can't get 10 people together, maybe we can start with 5 and have a match either against randoms or against bots, with a more experience player doing some explaining?

I'm more than happy doing teaching sessions. Although most nights I'm playing with friends at the moment it isn't any trouble for me to take a few hours out to help someone, especially as my whole crew isn't normally ready until later at night. So feel free to add me from the above steam account of poke me on the community page.

I'm Giga-Giant-Jacque on steam btw.

Randomgerbil
18-07-2012, 04:27 PM
If anyone sets up a 5v5 newbies game, I'll happily spectate, cast, and provide feedback after the game. I can even upload the replay to YouTube if people are interested in that.

MalkContent
18-07-2012, 08:12 PM
If anyone sets up a 5v5 newbies game, I'll happily spectate, cast, and provide feedback after the game. I can even upload the replay to YouTube if people are interested in that.

Ooh that sounds fabulous. How about we make an event on the community page and see if that garners any interest? I get the feeling that those who check the forums and those who check the steam page may be becoming slightly different groups.

Randomgerbil
30-07-2012, 03:30 AM
Well, that was a pretty fantastic night of dota, if you discount the skill disparity in the first game. I'll definitely need to teach you guys a tad more. I'm free pretty much whenever, so message me on steam and we'll sort out a coaching session. Video will be uploaded to YT soon, and I've gone over a lot in the cast, so that should be worth watching.

youtube informs me that this link should work one it finishes processing: http://youtu.be/nP71jviy5AI

Dentharial
30-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Well, that was a pretty fantastic night of dota, if you discount the skill disparity in the first game. I'll definitely need to teach you guys a tad more. I'm free pretty much whenever, so message me on steam and we'll sort out a coaching session. Video will be uploaded to YT soon, and I've gone over a lot in the cast, so that should be worth watching.

youtube informs me that this link should work one it finishes processing: http://youtu.be/nP71jviy5AI

I know this is completely silly, but being able to watch a game I was playing in with commentary is super exciting. Sadly I'll have to wait until the workday is over to actually watch it, but I'll definitely do it tonight.

I think an organized coaching session would be really helpful. I was thinking of trying to organize something myself, but I'm really barely more than a newbie myself so something run by a more experienced player would be much preferred. I think the best thing would be if the 'coach' was willing to not actually play, and just dedicate themselves to watching and offering advice rather than also trying to control a character and help the team.

Coccyx
30-07-2012, 11:31 AM
As you so rightly say at the end Gerbil, that was pretty painful. I thought it was going to be a noobie match, but all the 'CC' guys had dozens of more hours than me and Jimangi. Having my only played hero (pretty much) banned just derailed everything from the start - though I understand it was Urquan who started the whole 'banning picks from the previous game' thing. He didn't make things very pleasant during any of the game, in all honesty.

Vulpus
30-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Well, I enjoyed the last game we played very much, balanced teams, great play overall.

And also, I could help with the coaching part, if someone needs help learning the game, I don't mind watching you play and guiding you through it, I'm not the best player but I could guide you through the game. It's FullMetalJacket on steam, and I'm part of the RPS DOTA 2 community there.

Dentharial
30-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Some ideas that have been running through my head today:

1. Last night was a lot of fun
2. Playing stuff with RPS people is always tons of fun
3. This thread doesn't have enough organization, which has led to a lot of people (myself included) saying things along the lines of 'Poke me on Steam and we'll do something'

In an effort to add more of point 3 and thus produce more of points 1 and 2, I wasted some time at work making a google spreadsheet. My hope is that pinning people down into who they are, what they want, and when they might be free will allow us to schedule events that more people can come to, as well as generally grow the sense of community.

Please sign up on the spreadsheet, and then we'll better see what can be done! (Also, I christened it Rock Paper Sheepstick. Other suggestions enthusiastically accepted).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Atb8gHlvGgEpdDl0c19ITk9wbnV3MG5GRmEwcVhOM Gc

Randomgerbil
30-07-2012, 04:17 PM
There's no "interested in" for Commentating! I like the name, and thanks for setting up the spreadsheet.

Dentharial
30-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Added Commentating ;) Although I left only 3 total choices until we get a few people wanting that too.

I just finished watching the game and that was both fun and educational.

I cringed in a few places, particularly where you seemed to catch every one of my worst powershots/shackleshots right on camera. I swear there were some good ones that you missed! It was also interesting to see that at 11 minutes I had 30 last hits, which is ok-ish for a newbie,, but at 17 minutes I was on about 38, which is pretty damn terrible. Clearly I need to keep it more firmly in mind even when things get more hectic.

There was another point later in the match when our bottom base tower/barracks were under attack, and you questioned why me and m4part2 didn't retreat to help defend. My thinking there was that there were still 2 enemies in our lane, and so at least 1 of us should stay there to stop them getting an easy tower. I admit I didn't ask in our mumble or tell Lich to go back to base and leave me on my own there, and even at the time it was a decision I wasn't sure about. Definitely something I'll think about again next time I see that situation.

Thanks for casting it. It really was useful and fun to see me running around.

vee41
31-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Great to hear there was in IH event, hope I can make it into next one! Perhaps we should try using steam groups event thingies to try organize something (5 vs bots or full 5vs5).

And that cast was fun to watch! :)

Hunchback
31-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Guys, join the chat room in dota that i created - Rock, Paper, Shotgun
We could set up matches and stuff...

Also about the spreadsheet - why not add "pro-team setup" in the interests? I for one am interested in setting up a decent 5v5 team to kick ass...

vee41
31-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Guys, join the chat room in dota that i created - Rock, Paper, Shotgun
We could set up matches and stuff...

This would be a great way to bring a bit more organization to these things. Here is an quick way to make yourself automatically join a channel when you start the game:

Create a file called autoexec.cfg under \steam\steamapps\common\dota2\dota\cfg
In that file type: chat_join "Rock, Paper, Shotgun"
You can autojoin as many channels as you like, just add Chat_join "channel" lines to the file.

I'll have to check that the channel name is actually that when I get back from work.

Hunchback
31-07-2012, 01:39 PM
It seems to me that the game automatically remembers your channels choice as of late. Some time ago it would automatically put me in some Europe ??? channel, but later on it started remembering that i don't want to be there and also the channels that i manually joined. *shrug*

vee41
31-07-2012, 01:40 PM
It seems to me that the game automatically remembers your channels choice as of late. Some time ago it would automatically put me in some Europe ??? channel, but later on it started remembering that i don't want to be there and also the channels that i manually joined. *shrug*

Have to check that as I haven't really used any channels of late :)

Hunchback
31-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Someone should fix the first post of this thread to include all the info concerning the group/clan:

1. Steam Group
2. In-game chat room
3. Members spreadsheet
4. ???

At the moment the information is all over the thread, and it's a bit complicated to find.

Or we could maybe have a forum subsection for DOTA? It's big enough a game, me thinks...

Dentharial
31-07-2012, 02:59 PM
While the game is big, the RPS community isn't so big yet as far as I'm aware. I say let's give it a couple of weeks to a month of growing the community and trying to seriously get some events going and prove that we're stable and long-term, and then maybe we can apply for a proper subsection. I think it's a good idea to get a new thread up or ask someone in charge if RandomGerbil can take over the first post (assuming he wants to take the head since he's been the most active influence that I've seen).

Also, added Pro-Team Setup as an option in the spreadsheet and added it to your row, Hunchback. It was something that crossed my mind when I made it (as well as having an extra, higher experience level along the lines of 'Expert), but I figured I'd wait and see if we have that many high level players here.

That game on Sunday evening really lit a fire under me. I've been wanting to practice and get better at DOTA for a while, but finally playing with voicechat and some decent folks really made me want to get this community going.

Hunchback
31-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Well i've been in the beta for a while now, and before that i played LoL for a long time (not sure how much, but i played a lot). I don't consider myself pro at any rate, as i am still new to DOTA and i've never played on a "pro" level (tournaments and such). I still have a lot to learn and i make very newbish mistakes at times. I am, however, starting to really feel at ease in games lately, knowing mostly all heroes and skills, multiple builds and stuff. I could coach real newcomers and i could use some high-level coaching myself.

What i am looking for, at this stage, is a stable group of decent people who want to play for the win and to have fun too. I feel that playing with randoms can only get you that far, and also to be honest i am really sick all the russians (no offence to anyone russian who is cool) that would only speak russian in chat, completely ignore team communication and teamplay...
I want to play with people who won't bicker over hero selection, who will use voice chat and try and play for the team. Skill is not that important, if you have teamplay and communication, especially when playing on a casual (but organised 5v5) level, really.

On the steam group page i saw that we have a mumble server too. It's all good etc, but to be honest the in-game voice chat is of very good quality. I believe pretty soon stand-alone voice chat servers such as mumble and TS will be no longer needed, with most new games sporting high quality voice chat already integrated, for free.

Rakysh
02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
The good think about Mumble is you can natter in the build up to the game or whatever, and also bitch about any pubbies (I jest. But I would prefer to stick with mumble, though of course if we all switch to in-game voice coms that's fine too.)

Ringwraith
02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Really, there's a place for both, seeing as in-game voice chat can easily be full of morons you'd rather not hear or speak to, and sometimes you really do want to speak to them.
There's also the case of an all-talk function which is often lacking from games and is handy for silly modes where being able to talk to everyone is much more enjoyable seeing as there's much strategy involved.

Drayk
20-08-2012, 03:07 PM
I finally edited the first post.

Sorry if I dropped the ball here... Been really too busy...

ado
21-08-2012, 11:21 AM
I joined the Steam group. Looking forward to playing some game with you chaps as soon as the game goes live or I get myself a beta key (whichever may come 1st).

samuraiweasel
21-08-2012, 05:37 PM
I joined the Steam group. Looking forward to playing some game with you chaps as soon as the game goes live or I get myself a beta key (whichever may come 1st).
I got an invite lying around that ill send your way :D and welcome.

ado
21-08-2012, 05:53 PM
I got an invite lying around that ill send your way :D and welcome.

Thanks again man, you made my day!

Easy
21-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Nooooooooooo, I want an invite tooo, I can't take the wait anymore :D

samuraiweasel
22-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Well, add me and ill get one for you, as your steam profile is private.
Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/samuraiweasel)

edit: and off topic, what are the requirements for a sig? post count?

Easy
22-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Well, add me and ill get one for you, as your steam profile is private.
Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/samuraiweasel)
Done. Hugs and karma making their way to you right now!

edit: and off topic, what are the requirements for a sig? post count?
eh, Sig?

samuraiweasel
23-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Signature-thingy at the bottom of your posts, like this

I like Braaaains
Find me on Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/supamanu/)
Non-competitive play, Insult-free zone, Sir!

Easy
23-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Signature-thingy at the bottom of your posts, like this

Did you check in 'Settings' (the link to the right of 'My profile')? That's where you can edit your sign. far as I know it's accessible from Day 1, but I can't be sure.

And, you, Sir, shall live a long, healthy and happy life (thanks a bunch for the Dota2 key).

vee41
23-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Just a note: "The New Dota 2 Thread" (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?5745-Rock-Paper-Dota2) is the one we've been using for a while now so I recommend you move all discussion there :)