PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Witcher 2

Ignorant Texan
16-06-2011, 04:48 PM
1)Do saved game files from the Witcher 1 have a big(or any, really) impact on the Witcher 2? I realize this question reveals my laziness, but if the answer is yes, I'll dig up my old HD and import them.

2) Is a controller noticeably superior to M+KB? I ask this because all the demonstrators were using controllers in all the game-play videos from CDProjekt RED I've watched, and some reviewers/comments have stated this is so. While I realize I may be committing a heresy here, my back-log of platformers(Psychonauts, Tomb Raider, etc...) means this purchase is inevitable, a 'yes', the controller is vastly superior, will only speed my purchase.

I attempted to find answers on the W2 forums on GoG, but after scrolling through ~10 of the 123(!) pages of threads, my eyes glazed over. Besides, I trust RPSers more, anyway.

I thank all y'all in advance.

Update:Creeping Death's use of 'step down' was a response to my use of the term in the unedited post.

Creeping Death
16-06-2011, 04:50 PM
1. As far as I can tell (2/3 through) I'd have to say no, not really. It's mostly small stuff mentioned early in the game, the most obvious of which is the mention of Adda

2. Step down? I've only played the game with mouse and keyboard and haven't once thought "this would control better with a pad", and I am willing to admit when that is the case (psychonauts, asscreed 2, quite a few 3rd person shooters etc)

Rii
16-06-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm only a little way into Chapter 2, but I'm yet to replace Aerondight (Silver Sword) from Witcher 1.

It's mostly menu navigation that would be significantly improved with a gamepad. Alas the one I have on order isn't likely to arrive until I'm finished the game. =/

Doesn'tmeananything
16-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Have to agree with Creeping Death on both points. Importing a save from the Witcher doesn't seem to have any dramatic impact, and apart from the said Adda mentioning, you also get some items transferred from the first game, which is nice but kind of obsolete, since you will quickly change them for something else.

As to the controlling method, I strongly believe that mouse and keyboard are superior to controller, providing faster camera movement and easier menu navigation. If both methods are an option to you, I don't see any reason not to stick to the trusted M+KB combo.

I'm only a little way into Chapter 2, but I'm yet to replace Aerondight (Silver Sword) from Witcher 1.Weird. I remember getting rid of it some moment in the first chapter. In any case, it's not marginally better that the other silver swords available at that time.

I'd also recommend getting a UI mod called Panel Tweaks (http://www.witchernexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=87). While not making any profound changes in the interface, it does eliminate a number of small annoyances that are sure to bother you.

Wolfenswan
16-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Over at Something Awful (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413023)there's a small collection of TW1 savegames in case you lost them or want to try something new. Other useful stuff there too.

Kablooie
16-06-2011, 05:15 PM
You get to keep the Raven armor, too, if you had it in the first game.

Looks spiffy, but you'll replace it fairly quickly, unless your Geralt is more fashion conscious than melee minded.

duff
16-06-2011, 05:29 PM
1. Its referenced, but no it doesn't seem to have a massive impact. Perhaps download a save that followed a similar path to yours?

2. M+K is perfectly playable. I didn't try it on controller but after an hour or so M+K felt great, very fluid. Space to dodge, e to block and q for signs.

Creeping Death
16-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm only a little way into Chapter 2, but I'm yet to replace Aerondight (Silver Sword) from Witcher 1.

Little tip, when you do the quest to get the Dun Banner you go into a crypt, make sure you loot everything as you get a pretty spiffy silver sword in there somewhere that I used to replace Aerondight. Has 2 upgrade slots too ;)

Schadenfreude
17-06-2011, 02:49 PM
The game is perfectly playable with either control method, so just go with whatever's more comfortable. I play it hooked up to the telly, sat on the couch so it's gamepad all the way for me; were I over at my desk I'd go with M+K.

Re: save imports. Beyond the equipment carrying over I've only noticed references to Adda's fate and some guy showed up with a message from Thaler for me; I imagine that doesn't happen if you screwed him over in The Witcher 1.

Squiz
17-06-2011, 03:07 PM
I did not import any save games from TW1 in my first playthrough (couldn't get them to work properly), and I too got the note from Thaler (apart from that I got him killed during my TW1 playthrough, just in case that import worked anyhow).

Rinox
17-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Have to agree with Creeping Death on both points. Importing a save from the Witcher doesn't seem to have any dramatic impact, and apart from the said Adda mentioning, you also get some items transferred from the first game, which is nice but kind of obsolete, since you will quickly change them for something else.

There is one point in chapter 3 when your choices in TW1 have a pretty drastic impact, though. So while there may not be a whole lot of things that change, some actual game-related things and events do change depending on your TW1 actions. I'd say it's definitely worth it to try and get it 'right' when importing choices.

Haven't used a controller, but I found M+K to be ok anyway.

Christian
17-06-2011, 08:04 PM
There is one point in chapter 3 when your choices in TW1 have a pretty drastic impact, though. So while there may not be a whole lot of things that change, some actual game-related things and events do change depending on your TW1 actions. I'd say it's definitely worth it to try and get it 'right' when importing choices.

I'm now at the end of chapter 3, and I don't quite get what you're referring to (I imported a save from TW1). I don't know if this forum has spoiler-tags or something, but maybe you could give me a small hint?

Also:
As far as I have read, a controller gives you better control in combat (changing direction of rolling around etc.), but I've played the whole game with KB/M and didn't have the feeling that it would have been better with my (quite new, I love this thing) xbox-controller. So I'd agree with Doesn'tmeananything (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/member.php?1177-Doesn-tmeananything) here..

Rinox
17-06-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm now at the end of chapter 3, and I don't quite get what you're referring to (I imported a save from TW1). I don't know if this forum has spoiler-tags or something, but maybe you could give me a small hint?

SPOILER

If you arrive at Loc Muine at the beginning of chapter 3 and aren't accompanied by Roche, the Knights of the Flaming Rose's disposition/reaction towards you will be different depending on your choices in TW1.

Christian
17-06-2011, 11:00 PM
SPOILER
[...]

Aah, ok, thanks. Just finished the game a few minutes ago (and I don't know if I wasn't a bit disappointed about the ending. Although it does have me looking forward to the third part). I thought that reaction was due to the decision at the end of chapter 2.

[click]
While writing the above, I just remembered what you are referring to. Makes sense. If this is true: great stuff.
I was planning to do a second (and maybe third) playthrough of TW2 anyway, but this might mean I'll have to search a TW1-savegame with another decision and see what happens. Or maybe not, after all, it's summer and so many great games coming out this fall. Aaah, hard decisions in real-life ;)

Rii
17-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Little tip, when you do the quest to get the Dun Banner you go into a crypt, make sure you loot everything as you get a pretty spiffy silver sword in there somewhere that I used to replace Aerondight. Has 2 upgrade slots too ;)

Got it, thanks! =)

Sorbicol
19-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Re: save imports. Beyond the equipment carrying over I've only noticed references to Adda's fate and some guy showed up with a message from Thaler for me; I imagine that doesn't happen if you screwed him over in The Witcher 1.

Nope the guy from Thaler turns up regardless of your choices in TW1. Unless you do the troll trouble quest before you meet him