PDA

View Full Version : Here's a freeware, standalone Duke fan-game to soothe the pain.

Dominic Tarason
17-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Duke Forever: It came, it saw, it sank.

Fortunately, Duke isn't dead - merely elsewhere. The loyal fans have been hard at work, and while projects like eDuke32 and mods like Duke Eternity are impressive, here's something for even people without Duke 3D can get into:

WGRealms 2: Siege Breaker (http://fissile.duke4.net/fissile_wgr2.html)

This is a FULL STANDALONE GAME. It runs on an enhanced version of the original Duke 3D engine, and it kicks copious quantities of arse. It's also under 60mb of download. There's no excuse to not get it.

Still not convinced? Here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgeMqBeMDxQ

Two full episodes and two mega-levels (each the size of a small episode), and two playable characters - Duke, and a classic swords n' sorcery warrior, each with their own full set of weapons. A customizable charging powerup system, too. It's an impressive bit of work. And free.

One small warning - the episodes are listed in the order they were added, but probably not the order they should be played. You'll likely want to do them as follows:

WG Realms (The original episode, recently updated and expanded)
Siege Breaker (The sequel)
Castle Demonhorn
Chaos Realms

The latter two 'episodes' are single levels, but ridiculously huge, easily 3-5 normal levels length. You can do that kinda thing in the Duke engine nowadays. Check it out. It's free, and GOOD, unlike a certain 14-year project... Also, if you've got a beefy video card, tick the 'polymer' box in the launcher to enable modern dynamic lighting and some other perks.

Be warned - this is a hard game by anyone's standards. Even the 'easy' difficulty setting is pretty tough, so don't be ashamed to drop it a notch or two if you have to.

And for anyone still on the fence about downloading this, here's the final episode/megalevel, Utter Chaos (a name it lives up to) played through at high speed by the developer, without deaths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_LbJWq1whE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiqBOpVaHuM

That final battle is just nuts.

It's also really funny/tragic/sad to compare DNF gameplay footage with this.

Dominic Tarason
17-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Oh yeah, one small bit of advice for the first WG Realms level Kick the buttons under the TVs. A lot of buttons in Duke 3D are impact based, and can be toggled by shooting or kicking. Use this.

Spacewalk
17-06-2011, 02:02 AM
Aww yeah, WGRealms 2. The only game with levels bigger than the ones in Jedi Knight. It's pretty cool if only for the weapons, those pipe bombs in particular could make their way into more games, Serious Sam 3 with these puppies would be ridiculous fun. I remember the first time I got through Chaos Realms, I had to quit out when I saw the end fight because there was no way I was going to do that, not after the fun times™ I had throughout the level. It gets easier the more times you play it though.

As fas as I see it this is the real Duke Nukem Forever.

cybrbrnt
17-06-2011, 10:02 AM
This is looking pretty nice! Downloading now... Thanks for the referral!

Unaco
17-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Looks like DOOM.

Dominic Tarason
17-06-2011, 12:33 PM
It's a great big mash-up of elements. Doom, Quake, Heretic, Hexen and some more. It plays like (and stars) Duke, though. Very Duke 3D style secret-hunting, pipebomb-lobbing twitchy tough gameplay. No shame in playing this one on the easier settings, as it's very tough by modern standards.

I highly recommend using the Revenge-type POW bar, and putting Regeneration in the second slot. One solid beating will get you up to 20 power, and then you can regen back to health from there.

Bad Sector
17-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Looks very good, thanks for the heads up :-)

Downloading...

Ansob
17-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Can you bind strafe left/right to separate keys and does it have mouselook?

I hope so, because it looks brilliant.

Flint
17-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Can you bind strafe left/right to separate keys and does it have mouselook?

I hope so, because it looks brilliant.
Yes and yes. It's got a perfectly modern controlling.

Quite enjoying this, even though it's rather tough! Thanks for the link!

Dominic Tarason
17-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Be warned that if you want to run the Polymer renderer, you'll likely need a very beefy video card. It's hugely unoptimized at this point, although it does look very pretty. The regular renderer has much simpler lighting, but should run at 60fps solid.

squareking
17-06-2011, 08:02 PM
I laughed at the iron sights.

Flint
17-06-2011, 08:36 PM
I laughed at the iron sights.
Only the single-barrel shotgun has an iron sight, it's its alt fire mode where it acts like a long-range rifle.

Dominic Tarason
17-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah, it basically acts as mid-range standard weapon and sniper rifle all in one. The in-game description says the altfire is slug rounds. It's pretty neat, actually.

QuantaCat
18-06-2011, 08:37 AM
That looks actually a lot of fun.

pierec
18-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Woah. Now that's what I call a bossfight.

sabrage
18-06-2011, 09:12 AM
This has been out for almost TWO YEARS?! I'm surprised I've never heard of it!

Dominic Tarason
18-06-2011, 11:18 AM
It's been out in various forms for the past couple years, but it got the last major update back at the end of March, which added an updated port of the original WGRealms and a couple extra levels on top of that, rounding it out to a proper 4-episode game.

Megagun
19-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Holy copyright infringement, batman!

So I pretty much need to own Duke3D, Doom, Hexen and Quake to play this?

Dominic Tarason
19-06-2011, 05:02 PM
So I pretty much need to own Duke3D, Doom, Hexen and Quake to play this?

Only if you think anyone actually cares about sprite-rips/edits from 15-year-old games.

Ansob
19-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Started playing this - thanks a lot for bringing it to our attention, Dominic.

Now I just have to figure out how to finish Medievil Cress...

Bad Sector
19-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Only if you think anyone actually cares about sprite-rips/edits from 15-year-old games.

I do :-P. But fortunately i seem to have all the games that WGRealms 2 is ripping stuff from.

Psychopomp
21-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Just finished chapter 1, and it's already one of the best shooters I've ever played. Holy crap.

Dominic Tarason
21-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Just finished chapter 1, and it's already one of the best shooters I've ever played. Holy crap.

It's a gem, innit? First couple levels are a bit slow, but once you get to Open Season (love that level so much) it just becomes amazing. That cave with like 50+ flying-enhanced enemies in was nuts, and easily cleared with like 2-3 of those hilariously powerful cluster-pipebombs.

Megagun
21-06-2011, 02:16 PM
So there's a point in time from which moment onwards it's okay to infringe copyrights? There's a point in time at which you can take a game, edit it, and then produce and release a direct competitor of this game <b>for free</b> even though the original game you're infringing <i>is still being sold</i>?

Also, they're violating the GPL by not including the source code. This could be circumvented though by releasing this game under the BUILD license (EDuke32 is dual-licenced under the GPL and the BUILD license). A minor thing, but still. :)

disclaimer: I'm usually in the "meh, don't care, but I generally don't do it myself" camp in the whole piracy discussion, but this just seems wrong to me. :)

Psychopomp
21-06-2011, 02:36 PM
So there's a point in time from which moment onwards it's okay to infringe copyrights? There's a point in time at which you can take a game, edit it, and then produce and release a direct competitor of this game <b>for free</b> even though the original game you're infringing <i>is still being sold</i>?[/SIZE]

No, but there's a point in time where you look like a massive asshole in the eyes of the public for enforcing it :D

Megagun
21-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Heh, yes. This is why I suggested in that 'Less conventional views on games and gaming' (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?466-Your-Less-Conventional-Views-on-Games-and-Gaming) thread that games should be open-source after 8 years, and that games should have Free content (GPL? CC-by-sa?) after 12 years.

As far as the game goes, it looks very good. A perfect blend between Duke3D and Doom!

Donjo
21-06-2011, 05:57 PM
This looks like the most awesomest thing that ever awesomed. DOWNLOADING

Dominic Tarason
21-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Oh yeah, if you have Duke 3D ($6 off GOG right now), I highly recommend grabbing the War of Attrition mod from the same site as WGRealms. It's really clever stuff. Basically, you play through random levels (taken from a list of about 120 new ones), constantly growing in power. Using any of your weapons or even the Mighty Boot levels them up, giving them new perks, altfires, etc. Enemies drop items that permanently boost your stats and item usefulness, too. You can either continue infinitely, or have it take you to a huge end-of-campaign boss (you pick from three possible options) once you reach a certain XP level.

It's really compelling stuff, and seeing pipebombs turn from a single blast to a high powered cluster-flashbang grenade with homing capabilities on the bomblets over the course of 5-6 levels is so fun.

It also drives home that the core Duke 3D gameplay is still great, flexible fun to this day, and 3D Realms basically took almost 1.5 decades barking up entirely the wrong tree.

Donjo
21-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Maybe I'm an idiot but I don't know where to go in the first stage? So, lightening rains down and destroys the pillars that were blocking my path and then I get the chainsaw blade weapon thing, but then? I just keep going back to the start?

phenom_x8
22-06-2011, 12:49 PM
NICE, DL it now!

Urthman
26-06-2011, 12:51 AM
I have this vision of a bunch of Duke fans from the Duke3D vs. Quake Usenet Wars of 1996 playing Quake and saying, "Duke could totally kick theses monsters' asses!" And then spending the next 15 years making this.

squareking
01-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Finally downloaded this and tried it out.

Sheer brilliance. :D

SiHy_
04-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Wow. Was searching for something completely unrelated but, hell, I'm sold.

hellraiserzlo
04-12-2011, 10:34 PM
I love old school shooters thank you for posting this.