PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Knights

Liqourish
17-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Anyone else playing this?

Initially I was a bit put off by the f2p aspects, but then I realized that the game was just making me pace myeslf.

The whole crafting system's excellent too - you set little quests for yourself and complete them, getting a gun or something as a reward.

Vexing Vision
17-06-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm a huge fan of Three Rings' Puzzle Pirates, which is still in my eyes one of the best designed MMOs out there. (Poker withstanding or not.)

I would be very interested in a review of Spiral Knights, and maybe having someone to explore with next (not this) weekend or so...

Liqourish
17-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Just spent another days worth of mist energy with some RPS comrades. We should really get about starting one of those guild thingies, for easier identification. I seem to recall being able to purchase crystals with crowns, so we could maybe try pooling money, once we're all fabulously wealthy.

I really really like the crafting system.

y2rich
17-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Seemed like it could be fun from what I played last night but it was far too laggy to really get into it. I imagine the servers are taking a beating from the increased interest because of Steam

Gerbick
17-06-2011, 08:07 PM
I'll be interesting in some Spiral Knighting.

I found that updating my AMD drivers and turning off v-sync in the limited graphics options in SK turned it from impossibly laggy to smooth as a smooth thing.

Mana_Garmr
17-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Just tried out the first part now, getting to Haven and all that. Seems like it could be pretty fun. I think I'll need to look up some more details on how stuff works on the site first though.

washaa
18-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I played for the first time today. I got to haven and waddled around for awhile, but wasn't too entertained!

Who do I speak to in Haven to get me started / get quests?

Liqourish
18-06-2011, 02:59 PM
There actually aren't too many quests!

However, as an introductory thing, you are supposed to walk up to the arcade and speak to a dude with lots of armour, enter one of the gates and fight your way down to the clockwork terminal.

Jarvis
18-06-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm jarvisrodrig ingame.

Tier 2 already, you can buy engery with crowns at about 3350 to 3500, and even at Tier 1 if your not constantly dieing then you can afford to upgrade stuff and buy the energy you need for another run.

TheLastBaron
18-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Played it for the TF2 hat and after that didn't seem very compelled to keep playing.

Liqourish
18-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Did you try out crafting?

Liqourish
19-06-2011, 06:25 AM
I haven't quite yet reached tier 2, as I've been using most my income as capital for my trading business. At any given time, almost all of it has been tied up in auctions, crafted items, or materials. The economy game is simply much more interesting to me than "messing shit up."

Jarvis
19-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Spiral's economy quite basic really, you may wish to try eve online for a more indepth and wider economy.

You should be able to get some basic funding from the rps corp to start you off and speaking as a past missioner it's always good know someone who'll get you a reasonable price for goods without going to the effort of porting them yourself so you should get lots of stock as well.

Have a read of some of the guides in eve's market forum to get a taster of the level of play.

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=channel&channelID=3515

Liqourish
19-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Spiral's economy is basic but enjoyable. Low risk, low investment, low involvement. I can just check things every few hours and ponder what I am going to do next in my illustrious career as a merchant knight.

McDan
19-06-2011, 08:30 PM
I still have absolutely no idea what's going on other than hitting stuff because burchard managed to get me to skip all the tutorials about everything. Still finding it fun though.

Liqourish
23-06-2011, 04:29 AM
ROCK PAPER SPIRAL GUN IS A GO.

Contact any of the following members in-game to join:

Liqourish
Cantiq

Harlander
23-06-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm liking this a lot. Good to just dip in and out of, and the Zelda-esque gameplay gives fond reminiscences of playing Graal Online.

Much more interesting than all the "stand in one place pressing attack" Diku reskins out there.

Mana_Garmr
23-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Done a few dungeon runs now. It's quite fun, but it definitely seems like it'd be better with an organised party rather than a random group.

Liqourish
23-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Join the RPS guild! There's a guild chat so you can ask to run with people, and then go on mumble to do so with better comms.
Also there's a guild house thingy, but it doesn't do anything at the moment.

Liqourish
25-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Guild's up to 20 members and is useful for making friends/finding raiding partners/recipes.
Join usss.

Gerbick
25-06-2011, 09:47 PM
I've sent a friend request in-game to you Liqourish

Liqourish
26-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Added, and I'll send an invite your way for the guild if you haven't already joined up.

Doesn'tmeananything
26-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Sounds like great fun. I'm downloading the game right now and after I make myself acquainted with it, I'd very much like to join the guild.

8-bit
27-06-2011, 12:43 AM
I had some trouble even getting started after steam decided this was yet another game it didn't want to play, so I downloaded it from the main site and it worked (go steam :/). anyway it seems like a lot of fun but the lag is unbearable, if they ever get servers in the EU I will go back but I suppose that means I wouldn't be able to join you guys, oh well.

Liqourish
27-06-2011, 05:15 AM
Weird. I'm getting no lag at all here in finland, but iq, who is american, is getting lots.

Harlander
27-06-2011, 09:11 AM
I've had a very variable lag experience; sometimes it's smooth, occasionally the signs of lag impinge on gameplay. It's weird indeed.

8-bit
27-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Weird. I'm getting no lag at all here in finland, but iq, who is american, is getting lots.

really? strange because I read up on it after playing and found no info on EU servers. maybe they have set some up and they are just adjusting to getting a lot of new players through steam. I will check back on it later today to see if I can get any better, is there any info on peak times at all?

Liqourish
27-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Seeing as they have differently-languaged havens, I think they might have servers scattered all over the world. Three rings is an MMO company, they've done this before and know what they're doing.

Weird about the lag though.

MondSemmel
27-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi, I've joined the RPS guild now. My ingame name is Leyra.

I still haven't fully grasped the crafting system. Up till now, I bought a recipe myself every time I wanted something crafted, which seems somewhat silly in retrospect.
So, I guess we could save some gold by pooling recipes?

I do have occasional spikes of lag, too, but not consistently. I guess it depends on server load.

Liqourish
27-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Yep! That's one of the main benefits of being in a guild with friendly people. With the two star stuff, it's not tooo expensive to craft it all yourself, but especially once you start moving to three stars it'll be better to ask around first. You'll be able to get whatever item "for free," just paying the material, crown, and energy cost.

Jarvis
27-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Liqourish is sadly wrong, we can make the base item for you if we have the recipe with no problems - after that you need to have the recipe to upgrade the path.

The reasons for this is that:-

Items bind to the first user (hence we can craft and not use a base item to give to others).

The upgrades all require the previous item to have 5+ heat levels - and you get the heat levels by using the item.

Bound items can't be given to someone else so they can't use your bound 5+ heat item to upgrade for you.

MondSemmel
28-06-2011, 12:14 AM
I had a long post up here about how flabbergasted I was that this game included crafting and yet made it seemingly superfluous by making almost everything craftable be bind on pickup. Then it vanished.

Now shorter:

I looked it up on the wiki, and at least all (most?) 3 star items only require a 2 star item with heat level 1, so they should be craftable and tradable, i.e. pooling ressources on 3 star recipes should work.
4 star (5 star) items require 3 star (4 star items) with heat level 5 (10), so they presumably cannot be traded.

Still, getting everyone to item level 3 would already be quite beneficial. I do not own any 3 star recipes yet - does anyone else?

8-bit
28-06-2011, 01:12 AM
tried it again at midnight with no luck, as soon as I hit an area with any action the lag becomes so severe that I end up dead very quickly. I am guessing that if other people in the EU are not having trouble then the problems are caused by the influx of new players from steam so I will check back in a week or so, if the problem isn't fixed for me then I will just have to uninstall it.

Liqourish
28-06-2011, 03:48 AM
Jarvis: I wasn't wrong, merely incomplete. :P

There are rumours of a future update adding the ability to unbind items, but it'll likely be pricey, especially with the way energy prices are going.

Rossignol
29-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I'd like to join, too. My character is called Papershape.

Alex Bakke
29-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Re: Energy - I really like the idea about pacing yourself, but how easy is it to extend the amount of times you can enter an instance?

Harlander
29-06-2011, 11:42 AM
It costs 10 energy to go down a floor.

You can buy energy for crowns - it's quite expensive, about 4000 last time I looked, so you'd have to save up for a bit. Bought (crystal) energy works the same as the mist energy which builds up to 100 over the course of a day. The trouble with mist energy is that when you need to craft something, it uses a big chunk of your energy, so you can't craft and delve much in the same day if you're just relying on it.

Does that answer your question?

Alex Bakke
29-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Yessir. Thanks.

Mana_Garmr
29-06-2011, 02:11 PM
I keep forgetting I haven't actually put my name down for the guild.
Character name is Mana-Garmr.

According to some guys talking near the auction house today the current accepted rate is around 5-5.5K crowns for 100 crystal energy.

That's a hefty enough sum in the early stages, but later on when you're crafting the better items or going on longer dungeon runs it'd probably be easy enough to get the money together. I seem to average around 3000 doing a run through Tier 1, so when you can do the higher levels, where you'll actually be wanting the higher gear, you might be able to cover the costs well enough.

Gerbick
29-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Do you buy Crystal energy from other players then? The wiki wasn't all that clear on that.

Grailer_Diomede
29-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Delightful junior-hivemind membership is delightful.

edit: My in-game tag is Orranis. As declared before, memberships is delightful.

Liqourish
01-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Added the lot of you, I hope. Haven't been very active lately, but I keep watching this thread and the steam chat, so give me a ping if you need anything with the guild.

Grailer_Diomede
05-07-2011, 06:41 PM
So, how do we get to be "members?" I've been at "recruit" for a bit now. It doesn't mean anything, but it'd be nifty to be a member instead of a recruit.

Liqourish
06-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Ah, yes, I can do that for you, I just stopped bothering with the ranks when I realized most of them didn't do anything.

I'm away from my computer at the moment, but if you message Cantiq in-game I'm sure he'll either oblige or kick you out for trying to scam him. :D

(He probably won't kick you out so just give him an ask)

Pontificus
06-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Heya, just starting up the game. I don't even have an account on the game yet, and I do admit, I created this RPS account for the sole reason of joining the guild (I have been an avid RPS lurker for as long as I can remember though). Game name will be Pontificus.

nullward
06-07-2011, 07:32 PM
I'd love to join, I've been looking for a chill group to play with. In game name is Thorl. Munitions factory ho!

Pontificus
06-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Heya, just starting up the game. I don't even have an account on the game yet, and I do admit, I created this RPS account for the sole reason of joining the guild (I have been an avid RPS lurker for as long as I can remember though). Game name will be Pontificus.

Ragelfratz. Turns out Pontificus is taken, I guess it will be Puntificus(hehe) then.

Liqourish
07-07-2011, 06:08 PM
A bunch of you should now have been added to the guild, speak up if you're not!
I'm in sweden ATM so I can't really do proper guild things, but bug cantiq in-game or iq on steam if you need anything.

KuulKris
08-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Hello, I'd like to join the RPS guild please. Steam ID is Kuulkris, same as my RPS ID. I've just gotten all the gear I need to unlock Tier 2, so that's exciting.

Liqourish
08-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Added you, and a bunch of others! Glad to see our member list growing. We might even manage some sort of organization if it keeps going on like this.

First order of business will likely be editing the first post to include who has what recipes, so we don't end up buying them dozens of times. After that we can discuss trade monopolies and how to break the economy under the might of rock paper spiralgun.

MondSemmel
08-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Okay, so I guess I'll begin with a few proper (?) guild thingies:

Do you buy Crystal energy from other players then? The wiki wasn't all that clear on that.Somebody buys crystal energy from the "free to play" company. It is then auctioned off. Left click on the energy counter in the bottom right corner of your interface, and it will prompt you to buy energy for real money, but when you choose the "Trade" or "Market" tab, you can buy crystal energy from other players for the ingame currency (crowns).

My Recipes:

Swords:
2 Star - Calibur
3 Star - Tempered Calibur

Bomb:
1 Star - Firecracker (Only for the Steam achievement and ticket during the summer sale. I can make them for others too, though.)

Helm:
2 Star - Spiral Demo Helm
3 Star - Dusker Cap

Armor:
2 Star - Spiral Demo Suit

Shield:
2 Star - Defender
2 Star - Owlite Shield
3 Star - Horned Owlite Shield

I've put the good recipes in boldface. The Wolver-Dusker-etc. series is apparently good for swordfighters (the 5 star armor has +Sword Damage or +Sword Attack Speed, depending on version). The Calibur series' charge attack is amazing: It's generally a simple 360 AoE swipe that knocks enemies back. But charge, then hit something stationary/something in a corner, and you will hit it thrice. For example, this attack does enough damage to (nearly) destroy Gun Puppies (http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Gun_Puppy) with a single charge attack. Finally, I looked up all shields and the final stats of the Owlite Shield series appealed to me, but I don't really know if there aren't (much) better shields out there.

As someone in the thread posted, 4 star and 5 star items aren't actually tradeable. However, getting 3 star equipment (relatively) cheap is already worth a lot, so I propose we pool (at least) 2 star and 3 star recipes.
Crafting costs (400 crowns, 50 energy) for 2 star items, (1000 crowns, 200 energy) for 3 star items.

EDIT: Preferred mode of contacting me: via PM or via ICQ (ICQ number: 242815929)
EDIT2: And my ingame name is Leyra.

Aradalf
12-07-2011, 06:31 PM
I'd like to join the RPS guild. In-game name is Aradalf. Just started, so still at Tier 1 right now.

Stenkil
12-07-2011, 07:07 PM
I have played some (almost at tier 2) and would like to join this guild aswell. In-game tag: Stenkil

TwoDe
15-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm interested in joining this guild, in-game name is Analru. I'm at tier 3 and have access to a lot of the popular recipes.

Remoe
18-07-2011, 10:25 PM
in-game name is Remoe, been playing since beta
Haven't played much since it was released, sitting on tier 2/3 gear right now. Interested in becoming a bomber.

Don't have what recipes I have right now but I believe I have Calibur, Tempered Calibur, Great Defender and some other things

Ever thought about starting a steam group?
My steam is http://steamcommunity.com/id/Remoe

Liqourish
19-07-2011, 03:46 AM
Sorry I won't be able to add you people myself at the moment, but if you a swing an in-game mail to Cantiq, or iq in steam, he should add you right up.

Mrfoofums
25-07-2011, 02:57 AM
ingame name is Mrfoofums. Just finished my 2 star set been palying with randoms mostly, would like to join up!

ElementalBacon
26-07-2011, 05:50 PM
My in game name is FlamingBacon. I just started and this seem really cool i would like to join.

RazorElite
10-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Sent a friend req to Liquorish :)

x25killa
04-11-2011, 01:53 PM
I shall be reviving the guild known as Rock Paper Spiralgun in Spiral Knights. Thanks to Liqourish for giving me Guild Master title.

My Spiral Knights name is Ayeup and I have created a steam community group for all Spiral Knights players of RockPaperShotgun:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpsg

I tend to play Spiral Knights quite regularly, got some decent recipes and gear to tackle most of the bosses in the game.

There shall be some planned out group raids in the mere future, will post announcements in the steam community group and also here on the forums.

Time to bring your SpiralGuns.

x25killa
06-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Welp, gave it a couple of days and there's no interest in forming a group from RPS forums. I'm leaving the guild and steamgroup. Liqourish will remain the guild and steamgroup master.