PDA

View Full Version : A wild awesome game appears: _Solar 2_. Is super effective.

Tei
17-06-2011, 09:29 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/97000/

Solar 2 is an open-world, sandbox game set in an infinite abstract universe. Play constructively: grow your system, nurture life on your planets and attack enemy life in huge space battles. Play destructively: crash into other objects and cause chaos, use your orbiting objects like wrecking balls, steal planets from other systems.

amandachen
17-06-2011, 10:17 PM
What is it effective at doing? Have you tried it? It looks like you play a blob in the game, and you collect all these other blobs around you, kinda thing. Is it fun?

oatish
17-06-2011, 10:34 PM
looks neat

anybody play the demo?

Tei
17-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I have buy the game. I will play it and report back my impressions.

Tei
18-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Hummm.... Is like a spore game, with more game added to it. Quest (challenges?) and some progression.

LOOKS MOM, I AM A BLACK HOLE!

I love the black hole part :D

Harlander
18-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Hummm.... Is like a spore game

Is that a genre now?

Also, anyone else unable to persuade Steam to actually give them the demo?

Tei
18-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Is that a genre now?

Also, anyone else unable to persuade Steam to actually give them the demo?

Seems so.

But this game is a improvement over Spore, in that is more gamey. With some generic challenges.

I reserve my opinion about this game. I think could be fun if where multiplayer, but as a singleplayer experience, I don't get much from it .

Harlander
18-06-2011, 10:58 AM
You can't reserve your opinion, Tei, you already said it was awesome! ;)

Tei
18-06-2011, 11:20 AM
You can't reserve your opinion, Tei, you already said it was awesome! ;)

Based on the video. After playing it, I don't want to have a opinion that influence others, positive or negative.

The game is very very original, and very very creative. It has some awesome moments.

Dominic Tarason
18-06-2011, 11:56 AM
The original Solar (on the Xbox Live Indie store) was excellent, and was basically a proof-of-concept for this. You play as a planetary body, and your goal is to complete various missions in sandboxy fashion, usually altering your size/mass by absorbing things, or defending yourself by generating enough gravity to turn other bodies into orbiting planets/moons.

The sequel - I haven't tried the demo yet - looks to flesh it out a lot more, with far more mission types and types of objects floating around space.

Somehow, it kinda reminds me of Operation: Inner Space, back from the early days of windows. Freeform, sandbox action that's very simple in concept but has a surprising amount of hidden depth.

ran93r
18-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Anyone know how this squares up against Universe Sandbox?
I was intrigued by the idea of that but it sounded a little dry.

icupnimpn2
18-06-2011, 02:24 PM
You play as a planetary body, and your goal is to complete various missions in sandboxy fashion, usually altering your size/mass by absorbing things, or defending yourself by generating enough gravity to turn other bodies into orbiting planets/moons.

Izzit sorta like free-roaming Osmos with bullets?

ColdSpiral
18-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I've been enjoying this so far.
Try free-roaming Osmos with tactics. You know the circular levels? That centre bit is you. Often the trick is in catching asteroids/planets without them smashing into you.
Something that hasn't been mentioned is that a large enough planet will spawn a starfaring civilisation, who will prove both useful (in that they'll shoot at anything that comes near you - including enemy civs that do the same) and infuriating (in that they'll shoot at anything that comes near you - including stuff you're trying to absorb).