PDA

View Full Version : Replacing laptop keys

bogart
18-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Hey,
My 'w' key isn't responsive, making gaming a bitch. I've haven't got alot of tech knowledge but I'm curious, is there any of way of fixing it without getting a new one? My laptop is an alienware M15X. Also, as far as removing it goes, I presume I don't just pry it out? How does that work?
Thanks,

Kamikaze-X
18-06-2011, 12:56 PM
do you get any input from the key itself, like in word documents etc? if not, you are looking at a full keyboard replacement. contact Dell.

bogart
18-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I get some input however it requires pressing it heavily and won't always work, will I need an entire keyboard replacement for just a single key?

mrpier
18-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Probably yes, the sensors that registers the keypresses usually sits on a sort of circuit mat and there is no way to just replace the one of them. Do an image search for "inside keyboard" or something similar and you'll see what I mean.

Gerbick
18-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Check there's no dirt under the key first. Working in schools this is the most common cause of "HELP!!! Keyboard not working" problems I come across.

bogart
18-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Hm, after pressing it just recently I heard a kind of 'CRACK' sound, now its working perfectly, so I'll just pretend nothing ever happened.
Thanks for the input guys!

Kamikaze-X
18-06-2011, 03:44 PM
that was the cookie you were eating a little while ago

;)

solipsistnation
18-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Yeah, be glad it cleared up-- it was probably a bit of crisp (or chip or whatever you call it) stuck in there. Otherwise, yeah-- you typically do have to replace the whole keyboard to fix a single key. Depending on the type of keyboard, it may be more or less difficult to pop the key off and clean under it, too-- some of them are very difficult to clean like that without breaking important pieces of the key mechanism, too...