PDA

View Full Version : Cardboard Children meet-up thread

DarkFenix
19-06-2011, 12:08 PM
So, in the wake of the Cardboard Children articles here on RPS we keep getting people expressing an interest in these kinds of things, usually accompanied by bemoaning the lack of like-minded nerds in our respective local areas.

But it's a small world out there as some of us have found lately, particularly for those of us living in major cities. So here's a thread for those of us either already into these games, or those of us who are interested but have never been able to partake for one reason or another. Us RPS'ers are generally friendly enough sorts, so the possibility of being murdered by a fellow gamer is probably minimal (unless you spill a drink on their gaming table, but hey that's understandable).

So RPS board gamers, where are you?

I'll kick things off. I live in northeast London (Walthamstow) and am one of the 'interested but never really tried' category. I don't know a single person into this kind of thing and though I have spare cash, don't have the space for it. I'm currently off on summer break from uni until about October, loads of spare time until then, after that my timetable will probably still have gaps.

Those of us in London, or willing to travel into London, we now have an RPS community group. If you're interested join us: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?groupid=5

Also, here's a link to London On Board, an existing London based (duh) group whos events quite a few of us now attend http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/

Psycho
19-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I'd definitely be interestend in meeting up for this kind of thing. I usually play these sort of games with my brothers, but we rarely get all of us together these days.

I live in NW London (Hendon) and I have space and a few games (although no 6 foot table!).

I'm very busy at work for the next couple of months, but could do a night here or there and more regularly after August.

Games I have (most have been played only a couple of times!):
A Game of Thrones (5 players)
Battlestar Galactica (+Pegasus expansion) (5 players)
Mansions of Madness (5 players)
Space Hulk (2 players)
Space Alert (5 players)

EndelNurk
19-06-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm in Nottingham, I own Pandemic and Dominion which are nice quick starter games and I like them a lot. I also have Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game which I would love to have the chance to play more often.

Vexing Vision
19-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm in Berlin and I own more games than I'll ever play. If you set things up three or four weeks in advance, I'd even fly to London for a hardcore gaming weekend!

Temple
19-06-2011, 04:48 PM
London based (remember that you can change your profile to say where you are) close to Canda Water tube which also has an overground stop for Croydon/Whitechapel/Highbury access.

I have what I consider to be too many games, but then I see other people's collections and I feel pitifully inadequate.
I stopped buying about 5 years ago though, so Dominion, Space Alert etc are all new and shiny to me.
I would love to get a game of Civ someday which is pretty stupid as that is the only pc game I have ever really played.
Arkham, Mansions, Battlestar, Chrononauts, Chaos in the Old World, any of the FFG Living card games all make my interested list.

I think I can fit 6 people around a 6'x3' table, but would be happy(maybe even happier for the first time) to travel to someone else's place and not get murdered.
Not Get Murdered is a great name for a boardgame group :D
My place would be non-smoking as well (I have a balcony we can chuck you out on if you must) and up 4 flights of stairs if you have mobility problems.

DarkFenix sounds like the perfect person 'interested but never really tried' as I may have these games but I will have played each once basically. I am not pro and play for fun. Just like videogames I would never read a strategy guide or go for some sort of perfect play (not saying I don't suffer from analysis paralysis and not saying I'm not playing to win and not saying I wont accuse the dice of being biased etc etc). If that sounds like the sort of player you want then count me in, I am away next weekend but back on the 28th June and pretty much free for the rest of my life after that.

Games that I have that are possibly of interest to a group -and in sort of ascending difficulty if we are just starting out on this crazy, crazy road to gaming nirvana (I actually think Runebound might be a good starting point -simple fantasy tropes that we all understand such as level and kill the big bad):
Space Crusade + Space Hulk
A Lord of the Rings co-op game where we all help each other...
WoW the adventure game (Got WOW TBG as well, but more than happy to play that solo :P)
Runebound + expansions: Sands and Midnight (Midnight might even be a poor man's Descent as someone takes the role of the bad guys, but seriously, the game is still unpunched after 3 years so I'm as much in the dark as you. In the Dark. It's called Midnight you see and ...)
Race for the Galaxy
Quest for the Dragonlords
Warrior Knights
War of the Ring
Twilight Imperium
Starcraft (do you know how pissed I am at not buying the expansion for 8!!!11!!1! Sure I've never even played the base set, but you know -bargain?)

2 player:
Battlelore,
Memoir 44
Bunch of other 2-player games

Eurogames (went off euros -seem to like shiny nowadays):
Goa, Thebes, Zooloretto, Hansa.

Bunch of unpunched Hex wargames :P

Try non-rpser boardgaming: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?481-London-if-you-want-to-play-boardgames-with-non-rpsers&p=7842#post7842

Oh, and my name is Jacob

Plum
19-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Hiya,

A friend and myself are sometimes boardgame fans based in Shropshire (Telford and Shrewsbury). We're quite new to the hobby though so we don't have any of the classics (though I'd love to try them), it's mostly relatively new stuff:

Castle Ravenloft
Tannhauser
Mid-Evil
War on Terror
Dr Necreaux
Munchkin
Thunderstone
Plus some random bits from when we've dabbled with with Necromunda and D&D

Xercies
19-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Live in Kent and only a 45 min away from London till October and then I go back to Swansea. Hmm never played any game but am interested in Chaos of The Old World, Battlestar Galactica, Cosmic Encounters and maybe Space Alert. I'll probably only be able to come maybe once a week at most and probably barely every 2 weeks since i'm a bit strapped for cash. Also (since its nerdy as well) we could play some RPGs which i would love to D&D and WOD interest me there.

I also to Don't want to get murdered and in the game.

EndelNurk
19-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Is there any chance someone has a second copy of Memoir 44 in London? Seeing the Overlord campaign would be a decent reason to venture down into that heathen city.

Yor Fizzlebeef
19-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Greets gents!

I live in Reykjavk, Iceland, 26 years old and am looking for people insane enough to play meaty games like Descent and the like on a regular basis.

Currently I own Space Hulk, Arkham Horror, Chaos in the Old World that are roaring to be played more often (especially Chaos... the gods are calling out to me...) XD

I regulartly attend to an open gaming club here in Reykjavk, but it's kind of hard to organize those meatier, less flexible games there (frequent rotation of peeps there). I am eager to hear if there are more of my geeky kind living here in Reykjavk that are reading this site (and the Cardboard Children article) yearning to play more of these games!

Lacero
19-06-2011, 06:39 PM
London. I promise not to murder anyone except in the game.

McDan
19-06-2011, 08:33 PM
I live about 45 minutes train journey from london, but would definetely up for it to play some good boardgames with people if I can at the time. I've only got mansions of madness so far but I'd be up for pretty much anything.

Thwap
20-06-2011, 02:29 AM
South Wales border, Chepstow-ish here - but will travel.

I found a group in Cardiff who meet in the Chapter Arts Centre on Sundays, and they seem a decent enough bunch - but it's a very "mainstream" group. I asked about (having given in to the lure of bright shininess and bought) both Mansions of Madness and Wrath of Ashardalon, and got knocked back completely - have never seen a single game featured on Cardboard Children being played there.

"Not Get Murdered" is, I think, an inspired choice.

Currently have:
Pandemic
Wrath of Ashardalon
Forbidden Island
Dominion
Ticket to Ride
Mansions of Madness
Munchkin (several of)
Rising Kings
Fluxx (several of)
Game of Thrones LCG

LowKey
20-06-2011, 02:40 AM
I will be residing in bonnie Edinburgh from August and would love to get my game on with some lovely RPS'ers if possible; I am dying to try Chaos in the Old World and Mansions of Madness

karandraz
20-06-2011, 05:09 AM
I am also in the never tried but very interested category! If something can be arranged id love to come :)

BaronWR
20-06-2011, 07:35 AM
I should also speak up. I'm London-based (currently West London, but I may be moving soon), and was at the RPS/IGDA board games session, if any of you were there. I don't have much in the way of games: basically Arkham Horror, Chrononauts and some Munchkin.

Fillem
20-06-2011, 12:46 PM
So, anyone else living in Amsterdam (Netherlands)?

EndelNurk
20-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I am also in the never tried but very interested category! If something can be arranged id love to come :)

Would you mind letting us know where you are or where you can travel to so we could organise something?

DarkFenix
20-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Indeed, the idea is to post a location with a view to actually meeting, silly scrub :P

At any rate, we have 5 people within London plus another 2 just outside (one Kent, one unspecified). It was pretty certain we'd find the most workable concentrations of people in and around London. Should be quite possible to get something going easily enough.

EndelNurk
20-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Aye, I could head to London as well but not regularly and likely not for a while. I don't mind sitting out the first event though as I've got a fairly decent gaming group up here. I should say that if you like Catan, Memoir '44 or Ticket To Ride (all excellent games) then it is possibly to play those online at the official websites. That might help those who can't make meetups.

ntw
20-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Brighton.

Got a reasonable stack of games.

Gorm
20-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I'll be back in the UK in September, just south of London and i'd like to try a few board games.

aravar
20-06-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm keen on playing board games and based pretty near to London, in Hitchin, so eminently able to travel to London. Obviously weekends are preferable as getting in and out of London on a workday evening is tricky.

As for games I have Sid Meier's Civilization, Cosmic Encounter, and the old version of Civilization, plus Chrononauts and Space hulk Death Angel for card games. I'm interested in trying out a whole load of stuff, and pretty much everything that comes up in (not) cardboard children sounds good.

Xercies
20-06-2011, 03:34 PM
"I found a group in Cardiff who meet in the Chapter Arts Centre on Sunday"

That's useful to know when I'm back down at Swansea for Uni, I've been trying to find one around me but can't really find it. Forgot really about Cardiff...

GraveyardJimmy
20-06-2011, 03:41 PM
That's useful to know when I'm back down at Swansea for Uni, I've been trying to find one around me but can't really find it. Forgot really about Cardiff...

There is also a board game shop in Castle Arcade that is pretty well stocked.

Thwap
20-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Linky for the Sunday Cardiff group (http://www.boardgamescardiff.btck.co.uk/) - usually around between 3pm and 10:30pm - they can also be found on the Book of Face too.

There is also a board game shop in Castle Arcade that is pretty well stocked.
Yes, Rules of Play (http://rulescardiff.wordpress.com/) (not affiliated with them in any way, just a happy customer) are highly recommended as a FLGS. Genuinely nice people, very accommodating and more than happy to both host games downstairs in their <s>dungeon</s>, <s>crypt</s>, ....basement and order items in that you might fancy.

karandraz
20-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Haha sorry with all the excitement of a chance to get some board-game action i totally neglected that vital piece of information! I am from middlesbrough which is a fair distance from most of you guys, but iam willing to travel with abit of notice :)

DarkFenix
20-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Sounds like a good idea for us to organise something on a weekend sometime in the next few weeks or months.

Personally I'm quite sold on the idea of these epic campaign type games too, perhaps some of us local guys can sort something out if everything goes nicely.

JayTee
20-06-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm just north of Southampton, with a fairly decently sized table though I've only got Mansions of Madness, BSG (And both expansions) and some more mainstream type games. Happy to host, and I promise I don't murder people. Also would be up for an RPS session London-way since it's under an hour on the train for me.

SamuelH
21-06-2011, 01:35 AM
I'm near Eastbourne, so fairly close by train to London. I've got Mansions of Madness and Arkham Horror, with one of the expansions. Would like to try out some of the ones mentioned in Cardboard Children, especially Space Alert. It sounds rather good fun.

moth bones
21-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm interested too. North London, but I live in a rabbit hutch (hmm, are the two things perchance connected?) so can't host, also I don't own any boardgames. So if the Londoners require a 'sundry', count me in...

I like the sound of that fantasy campaign game Quins talked about, I must say.

Daave
21-06-2011, 01:20 PM
I am currently living in Croydon and would love to get involved with a regular board gaming crowd. I am encumbered with a copy of Horus Heresy bought for me as an ill-advised birthday present and I've got no-one to play with :(

I've played Civ, Mansions of Madness, Settlers of Catan, Chrononauts and a few other random things. I'd like to play Dominion, Carcassone (sp), Arkham Horror, everthing else, and maybe once we've got an established group going Descent.

Siri has in the past organised a prototype games event under the banner of the RPS social club jointly with the IGDA, but as she has gone back to Norway for a while I think this is on hiatus. Ideally someone should book a friendly pub or possibly a room in a uni in central London on a weekend and then persuade the hivemind to front page it. But if you want a smaller, "hardcore" group then stick to the forums.

Make it happen people! I'm prepared to do some organising, but I am generally quite busy.

EndelNurk
21-06-2011, 02:28 PM
I am encumbered with a copy of Horus Heresy bought for me as an ill-advised birthday present and I've got no-one to play with :(

I'd gladly take that off your hands ;)

On a related note, in case any of you haven't seen it yet here (http://www.downtimetown.com/2010/04/27/downtimetown-horus-heresy/) is Rab's video review of Horus Heresy. One of the finest pieces of game criticism I think I've ever seen.

unitled
21-06-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm in Derby, got copies of MoM and AH... Also got a copy of 3rd Ed Space Hulk! I'm friends with a few gamers here, sure we could happily accommodate more.

DarkFenix
21-06-2011, 11:35 PM
So, we clearly have a fair few people in this thread who actually have experience of this kind of gaming meet-up. Given my total lack of relevant knowledge, I'd like to ask one of the guys in the know to step up and help get the ball rolling on something, however small.

EndelNurk
22-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Hello Unitled, do you ever come along to Nottingham? I'd give quite a lot for a chance to play Space Hulk.

BaronWR
22-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Well, it certainly sounds like there's enough people who might be interested. The tricky bit, it seems is finding a suitable venue that everyone can use: ideally a large, well-lit room with lots of tables (and possibly a bar), that is free, or at least quite cheap, to hire, and reasonably close to central London to allow everyone to get there in good time. After that it's simply a matter of picking a date, either a weekday evening or a weekend (which would allow us to get more games in).

So, any suggestions for a venue? One suggestion from the last meet was booking a room in one of the universities, so I don't know if one of the students here wants to look into that. Otherwise, finding a co-operative pub seems to be the best bet.

Temple
22-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Represent! Chalk one up for the RPS in house posse raise the roof woot woot!
Errr, as I said on my other thread I went to/infiltrated the London On Board gaming group
http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?481-London-if-you-want-to-play-boardgames-with-non-rpsers

Lucky enough to arrange a game of Nerath on the website beforehand AND have it close enough to work to get there about 5.30pm.
I'm the handsome guy with no hair http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/photos/2015891/34027201/#34027201
A fourth guy turned up and we played for about 3 hours, it is a new game so we were all learning together (hence my photocopy of the rules clutched in my hand). I won. Represent woot woot etc.

This is the weeknight venue and has about 10 tables downstiars -all of which were in use during the night. The pub is posh, but enter the door take a left and head downstairs -you wont mistake the gamers :D
Paul Lister runs the group, supplies many games (and has a shop www.boardgameguru.co.uk (http://www.boardgameguru.co.uk) which I intend to use as a thank you).
There is a night on tonight if you are free, I'm not unfortunately as I have 10 hour days at work at the moment.

There are also Sunday events that run 11am until 8pm at another location 3 times a month. Someone asked on the message board if he could start a friendly tournament and the organiser Jeff Clark said he was fine with that, so I imagine it would be okay for us to do similar, ie go along with our own games.

I'm busy until next Tuesday with three different things going on in my life (normally zero), but I plan to go to the Sunday event on 3rd July to check it out. If anyone wants to come along (and bring shiny games) that would be great.

I know some of you are already members there, so I don't know if it is best for other people to just join London On Board (free and easy through Facebook or membership on the website) or if we arrange something on here and you come as guests. Or more likely a bit of both.

I think we can tag along with LoB for a while and see how it goes. So who wants to bring what and when :)

desvergeh
22-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Some damn good prices on that boardgameguru site you linked.

I'm fairly into boardgames too, and have a collection outgrowing my storage space. I'm also one of the lucky ones. Not only is my wife into some of the games (she won't touch Space Hulk though), but I have a few local friends who are too. So I can luckily get my fix at least once every two weeks.

Travelling to London for a meet-up seems unlikely, however if there is anything more local to where I am (Birmingham), then I will try to join you.

DarkFenix
22-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Sunday 3rd July huh? I may well have to look into attending that.

SoulPride
22-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Ideally someone should book a friendly pub or possibly a room in a uni in central London on a weekend
I'm not sure about other universities but mine (KCL) will charge prohibitively huge amounts of money to rent a room for non-student-society activities - exactly how much I don't know, I've only heard this from other people. I imagine the other central universities (UCL, LSE) will do the same.

Edit: Also interested in the event, though depends on when/how much free time I have.

westyfield
22-06-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm in Bath but hopefully going to Southampton Uni this autumn. Tentatively interested in boardgames, also up for not getting murdered.

Daave
22-06-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure about other universities but mine (KCL) will charge prohibitively huge amounts of money to rent a room for non-student-society activities - exactly how much I don't know, I've only heard this from other people. I imagine the other central universities (UCL, LSE) will do the same.

Could you enquire about this? Possibly ask one of the societies (board game or sci fi or something) whether we could do something jointly. If you ask them directly whether they have any spare rooms going then they'll probably give you them for free, you are a member of the uni after all. Speculation and everyone agreeing that something is a good idea doesn't equal getting shit done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P2jJdrz9bY

I'm the handsome guy with no hair

I don't see any handsome guy with no hair. (sorry!)

DarkFenix
22-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Hence I'm trying to prod one of the guys who knows what to do, to do it. I would if I could, but trying to make other people get people known to one another and get their arses in gear is about the limit of possibility for me.

That said, the group Temple mentioned could be a good way for some of us London-based types to start getting to know one another in a setting where murder is less likely. Because not getting murdered is good. That said, Sunday 3rd July is off the cards for me, sodding weekend Underground works.

Lacero
22-06-2011, 10:50 PM
July 3rd is possible for me. I have no games to bring, but if it all goes well I can stretch to buying some.

Jarvis
22-06-2011, 11:46 PM
I'd be interested in meetings around greater manchester.

I currently already do board gaming of a sunday night in manchester, in a shop called fanboy3, theres also a saturday group I believe but i'm not sure about the details for that.

Additionally of interest for everyone is stabcon which is a week sunday:-

1st-3rd July: Summer Stabcon 2011, at The Britannia Hotel, Stockport. The latest occurence of this downright venerable twice-yearly British gaming institution. It'll doubtless be the usual play-what-anyone-brings board/roleplaying/card game event, with accommodation available in the hotel. E-mail bookings@stabcon.org.uk for booking information.

Should be good for people to encounter new games before decideing if they want to buy them, I believe it's not unknown for some publishers to turn up showcaseing their new releases.

Temple
23-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Ok, I'm going to the Sunday outing that LoB run on the 3rd July in central London.
So, if anyone wants to bring a game they want to play and wants to be there for a particular time let us know so we can come and not murder you. The place is open 11am to 8pm and so seems to be set up for longer games if you want to go that route. I'm an early riser myself so can make it as early as you want -we can read some rules/play 2 player fillers while waiting for other any sleepy heads to join us.
http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/events/16940609/

It is a different venue to the weekly one I visited on Tuesday (which was heaving) and people seem to think the Sunday one is also busy, with tiny tables too so best not to bring Arkham Horror (table size does not look too bad on their website, though it might be a case of how many larger ones are there)
http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/venue/1125778/?eventId=16940609&popup=true

So our group will probably not be able to crash it in our entire awesomeness on a regular basis.
Our entire awesomeness as far as I can work out http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?groupid=5
I put the list of names of people expressing interest. Tell me if you want me to remove/add names etc feel free to join or not etc and another etc for everything else I forgot to say.

Looking for another site then, I'm sure Siri mentioned South Bank Uni, but their rates that I can find are a little higher than what I hoped to pay *cough* Also, have you seen her moth?!?! http://twitpic.com/5eh8fp
Alright we try LoB and then it might have to get personal once we are convinced we will Not Get Murdered.

Our Entire Awesomeness would be a great name for a gaming group.

Daave
23-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Did I play 10 days in Asia with you at the IGDA thing Temple? We were on the same team and lost!

BaronWR
23-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Well, it sounds like the 3rd July is probably a good preliminary meet-up. I'll come along if I can, but I have a fair amount of other stuff happening that weekend.

moth bones
23-06-2011, 09:55 AM
I went to LoB last night and can endorse it. Friendly and welcoming; I ended up playing Mansions of Madness and two card games. The pub is about 10 mins walk from Moorgate/Bank stations, closer to St. Pauls. It's alright for a non-historic City pub.

Not sure if I can make the 3rd yet.

I want to go a couple more times to make sure, but my initial thinking is that LoB does fit the bill for Londoners. They already have an established space (two of them in fact, though I don't know what the Sunday one's like) and last night there was easily room for another 20 people or more. The guy who organises it was really helpful and friendly to the noob, as were the folk I played with. There was a huge variety of games available; people bring them along on spec. My main doubt would be whether it's a suitable place for a 'campaign'-type game like that one Quins wrote about - I don't think the overall 'ethos' would embrace the same group playing together week after week as it could be perceived as a bit cliquey.

Xercies
23-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Sunday looks good for me, unless of course something else comes up I'll probably be able to get there and have a few games in. I'll probably get there quite early as well.

Temple
23-06-2011, 11:21 AM
@ Daave, I never lose so I'll think you find I watched as you lost for us :)

@moth -ooh you lucky so-and-so you got to play a cardboard children advertised game.

I think LoB will be great for us, and when we get to know each other better and are convinced we will not get murdered we look into a campaign at somebody's place where we wont be spilling drinks on the games.
Especially as Moth reckons there was space. I think it goes Tue and Wed on a regular week, next week is a birthday week.

Though, does anyone actually have Descent? It never really appealed until Quinns write-up (curse him) and the campaign aspect. I'll happily chip in/buy an expansion for it once we get going.

DarkFenix
23-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Bloody hell, St James's Park station is really easy for me to get to, on the condition that the bloody Victoria line is running. Without the Victoria line it's... hmm, still possible. Back to the route planner, one benefit of living on quite a decent transport hub is there's always another route.

I was thinking quite similarly about Descent, I have spare cash but no space or anything, so if something gets going I'll quite happily chip in towards that kind of thing. It's almost like L4D meets D&D (L4D&D?). Hopefully we'll find someone who already has it, but that's seeming quite unlikely - I'm seeing clear trends as to which board game are more mainstream and which aren't. Descent seems not to be (though it seems too prohibitively time consuming and expensive to be mainstream in fairness).

Also, joined the forum group. Other guys in London or who can travel to London, you should join up too.

Temple
23-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Paul Lister has asked, not unreasonably, that attendees to LoB events join up.
There's no cost, and as Moth says they do seem very friendly.
We can murder them all later.

We can still arrange things within here/within LoB, but this lets you really get your game on as you wish: they do two nights and one Sunday most of the time. For those interested the one Sunday a month they don't run the same pub has another club on doing more RPG style things -I think I advertised it somewhere...

ntw
23-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Paul Lister has asked, not unreasonably, that attendees to LoB events join up.
There's no cost, and as Moth says they do seem very friendly.
We can murder them all later.

This. This is why I love RPS.

:)

DarkFenix
24-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Hahahaha fuck you London Underground. Secondary route off the cards, half the sodding Circle line isn't running on weekends either. Plan C sees me take at least 3 trains, as much as 5. The only remaining certainty is that a route to get there exists.

Either way, signed up on the LoB group and put myself down for 3rd July. Pain in the arse travel is just part of life in London.

BaronWR
25-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Well, it looks like I'll be able to come along on the 3rd: I'll probably turn up around 2ish. What time are other RPSers planning to turn up, and what games are people planning to bring? I'm not going to be coming from home, so won't be able to bring any games, unfortunately.

Psycho
25-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Don't think I'll be able to make the whole day as Sunday is my only day off at the moment, and I need to spend some time with the family :).

Will try to come along in the afternoon. Since I'm coming by tube - I'll probably only be able to bring 1 or 2 games. Any requests for what people are interested in playing?

Games I have (most have been played only a couple of times!):
A Game of Thrones (5 players)
Battlestar Galactica (+Pegasus expansion) (5 players)
Mansions of Madness (5 players)
Space Hulk (2 players)
Space Alert (5 players)

BaronWR
25-06-2011, 04:46 PM
I'd be up for Mansions of Madness or Battlestar Galactica, both of which I've played and enjoyed. I haven't played A Game of Thrones, so don't really have an opinion on it, and not hugely keen on Space Hulk. Space alert is great, but presumably we don't have a handy DVD player.

Psycho
25-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Space Alert works fine off an iPhone (as long as it's not too noisy).

Probably won't bring Space Hulk since it's a big game and is only suitable for 2 players.

Xercies
25-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Battlestar Galactica definitly will be up for that. Sapce Alert is good for maybe a quickie at the start I would think.

McDan
26-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I may be able to make it to the 3rd of July thing. I'll have to get back on that as I may be diving. On the games front I won't be able to bring any, but mansion of madness and space alert are favourites of mine. I may see about bringing a fellow RPS'er who isn't active on the forums but is interested in this. Only problem is he has church on that day, I'll see what I can do.

Xercies
26-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Are we going to have a flag saying "Not Get Murdered" to tell who is RPSers? :p

McDan
26-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Alrighty, I'm coming from Ipswich which will take me about an hour, a time for RPS'ers meeting would be useful as then I can book tickets and stuff for then. So who's coming?

aravar
26-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Sunday 3rd, sounds like it should be possible for me too, so I'll try to make it along. Probably looking at getting there about 1ish. I'm definitely interested in playing Mansions of madness, Space Alert and Battlestar Galactica if anyone has those and fancies bringing them along.

I have Cosmic Encounters (3-5 players, lasts about 45mins a game) and Civilization the board game (2-4 players, lasts about 2 hours when you know what you're doing, about 3.5 hours when it's your first time playing) if anyone is interested in me bringing along either of them, although I can probably only pack one in the bag. Both, however, are good fun, and a brilliant way of making your friends dislike you.

DukeOfChutney
26-06-2011, 11:33 PM
just posted a 'i know no board gamers' comment then thought id look in the forum

not sure id go to London for anything short of a weekend social but will consider things in the North. Only game i could bring to any event is Diplomacy (with 7 players can take most of a day), which is hardly nich compared with many others mentioned here and in the threads. Would love to play Space Hulk, but will play pretty much anything. There are a couple of sort of board game friendly pubs in Leeds, but you the run the risk of trippling your playing time as you have explain what your doing to observers. The Uni (of which i am apart) does have decent facilities but wont allow those not representing a club or soc to book neither of which im heavily involved with. I have checked out the sci fi and fantasy soc, but they are only really interested in LARPing and do little else (the occasional film).

Daave
28-06-2011, 12:52 PM
I'll be there. Should be 1 train and a short walk, the tube closures are bullshit though. I have no games to bring unfortunately, but I'm considering buying some once I've got some regular playmates sorted out (maybe Descent).

Xercies
28-06-2011, 03:24 PM
If this goes well i will definitely be getting a copy of chaos of the old world, i've been wanting that one for a long while.

Temple
28-06-2011, 08:22 PM
*note to self, no longer need to buy Chaos of the Old World*
(until I sees Xercies copy and wantses it for myselfs)

Ok, quite a few of us are going on Sunday. If you are and don't mind joining another website thing then please join the 'London on Board' group http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/ and register your attendance on the 'First Sunday of the Month' meeting just to be nice to them -we need to lull them into a false sense of security for our future plans to murder them all to be a success.

@aravar - I would love to play Civ, but would be happy to play a more sober cosmic encounters (other people not me)
(my vote is Civ, but you might want to see the venue before bringing such a big beast)
@xercies - I was thinking of a flag of some sort of 'not get murdered' in process, my design skills are right there with the rest of my skills though so, um, you know. Anyone else knock a pic together I'll print it off and hoist it. Otherwise I'll go with something in Word and use 'fancy' style.

Psycho seems to be the Santa Claus of the group -that reads either very wrong or very appropiate- with a lovely collection of Cardboard Children. Consensus seems to be Space Alert and maybe Mansions or Galactica. I have played none and would dabble with any.

I will be there as early as any one wishes to meet
(I am not as desperate as that sounds...)
Feel free to reply/pm/tell me to get on some better website that is easier to communicate with to arrange a meet up
(I am not as desperate as that sounds...)
I have none of the Cardboard Children - but would maybe, possibly bring my priceless copy of Battelore if anyone wanted to learn the basic rules and get a game or two in before other people turn up, as I have not played it in over two years
(I am way, way more desperate than that sounds).
Also, happy to learn/play anything you provide.
(I'm only as desperate as you)

I am sure I had my list of owned games on the forum/in my pocket somewhere but I appear to have mislaid it.
Also, I am a dick about people drinking/eating near my games, but I am very small so it should not be a problem.

Remember you don't have to just play with RPSers and if no one is turning up I reckon I might still get there for 11am(ish) and see what is going on.

I remember what I thought of. Quinns reviewed the LOTR LCG, and it seems immediately sold out everywhere :) I have a co-op LOTR game from quite a few years ago now if anyone is interested (older gamers probably played it already).
Same idea you sacrifice yourself to get the ringbearer through to Mount Doom.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/823/lord-of-the-rings

DarkFenix
28-06-2011, 08:31 PM
I'll probably try and get there for 11 or so, the way I see it I need as much time as possible to sample the various games on offer there. Doubly so since I'll need to spend ages being taught the rules of any given game :P

Temple
28-06-2011, 09:36 PM
So I collected what people said in the posts above
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=4&do=discuss

Timetable -pay attention now.
I'll be there at 11, I'll play what you have or you will be forced to play basic battlelore/co-op LOTR game with me (let me know if you are interested and I'll read the rules on Saturday).
I AM IN NO WAY AN EXPERIENCED GAMER
Aravar turning up about 1pm and bringing Civ or Cosmic.
Psycho/Santa Claus turning up 'in the afternoon' and hopefully bringing Space Alert (with ipod :P) and/or Mansions/Galactica if he would/could.

If you do turn up and we are all in a game, please do look around at other people from LoB as they seem very nice themselves -there is no guarantee you will not get murdered with them though. Sorry.

Daave
28-06-2011, 11:09 PM
I vote Mansions, but I've only played it once. I'll try to turn up in the am but that depends whether I get embroiled in my current game of civ on the morning. I've also played Cosmic Encounter once and Civ (the board game) once so it shouldn't be too hard for me to remember the rules in those games. I would really like to play Battlestar Galactica (once) as I've heard some good things about it.

Also I'll be doing a drunken shout-out (once) for the RPS BB posse at some point, you know, to distinguish this from every RPS social I've ever attended.

aravar
29-06-2011, 12:10 AM
@Temple - Good job doing all the organising of the troops.

If there's no dissenting votes between now and then I'll bring Civ. It's good fun, and actually surprisingly quick to play once you've got a hang of the rules. I've also managed to pick up the Lord of the Rings LCG they talked about at the weekend (from here: http://www.guysthatgame.co.uk/gtgshop/ they actually seemed pretty damn good and helpful, so might be worth a look). For a pretty big box, there's not a lot of stuff in it, but it does make it pretty transportable.

Other than that, I think a "Not Getting Murdered" flag would be essential. See you all there I hope.

Xercies
29-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Well it seems now I don't have much time to stay, I'll probably get there around 11-11:30 but probably only be able to get a few games in I'll probably have to go at 1:30...at the latest 2:30, got to pick up the girlfriend since she is coming down. I don't know whether thats worth it for you so :(

Temple
29-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Definitely worth it for me Xercies. I think the whole point of us joining/murdering LoB is there is no pressure on any of us for turning up as there will be other people around. Though if you were to blow us off in the middle of our epic Descent campaign as it comes to its conclusion two years from now and there will be repercussions... someone else will probably play your character or something.

McDan is not allowed out by the Ipswichians as he is the only one who knows the secret of fire, so you know there is a lot of it around.

My RPS social club experience went:
1st night: failure on tube trains
2nd night: Attend wrong venue
3rd night: Attend wrong venue THEN finally attend right venue
4th night: decide I did not want to go and then realise I am an idiot for not going
Normally I am the person who turns up late, hopes the party has started and can just sidle in and out unnoticed.
I realise now the whole point about boardgames is to get noticed so you actually get to play the frickin' game :)

DarkFenix
29-06-2011, 11:34 AM
I realise now the whole point about boardgames is to get noticed so you actually get to play the frickin' game :)
Right, I'll be the guy who shows up wearing nothing but a top hat and a luminous condom then.

EndelNurk
29-06-2011, 12:24 PM
wearing nothing but a top hat and a luminous condom

Sounds pretty normal for that London.

Jon.J
29-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I've joined the Not Get Murdered group [where's the name from by the way?], I'd be interested in attending but I can't make this Sunday. Hopefully it goes alright and I'll see you guys at the next one, whenever that might be...

Temple
29-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Right, I'll be the guy who shows up wearing nothing but a top hat and a luminous condom then.
Any excuse. Geez.

@Jon -it came from our general desire to meet strangers and Not Get Murdered. Anyone who is not in the group is fair game though.
We are tagging along on the London on Board group http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/
They typically run a couple of weeknights (Tue and Wed) near Bank in central London, and 3 Sundays a month near St James Park.
Join 'em and go along to any night -typically there are shout outs of games being organised on the site. Also we/you can organise RPSers going along to any of the days or nights to get a game of something.
If we manage to not murder each other then we'll probably get a social night going at someone's place so we can play a Descent campaign as advertised by Mr Quintin Smith.

Psycho
02-07-2011, 10:57 AM
OK - Worked like a dog all weekso I've decided to have the weekend off.

I'll try to get down earlier on Sunday (11 ish) try to stuff as many games as I can into a big sack. Not sure about the beard and red outfit, but I'll see what I can do.

Xercies
02-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Turns out it was a false alarm, I can be there whenever I want so yeah definitely can't wait for a meaty game.

Temple
02-07-2011, 10:17 PM
I have a flag! [read: piece of A4 with not get murdered on it]
Also, a t-shirt with my avatar on it.

DarkFenix
03-07-2011, 08:04 AM
/Yawn. Waking up this early doesn't agree with me. Still, I've no idea how long it'll take me to get there courtesy of the numerous detours, so I'll probably be deliberately and fashionably late, but still around 11am or so. It'll be impossible to miss me, I'll be the enormous slightly chinese looking guy.

Xercies
03-07-2011, 08:22 AM
It feels a bit werid geting up early to play boardgames XD

Temple
03-07-2011, 08:34 AM
I'll take it back about being an early riser... should be an easy 11ish for me. Thinking I might bring something to use as a tablecloth.

Also, @Dark *I* wanted to come as an enormous slightly chinese looking guy, gonna have to come as an out-of-shape white guy with beard as always.

JamesG
03-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Oh dear, wish I had found this thread a bit earlier. As it was, found it at 1am last-night; which would make it a bit late to do anything other than rudely gatecrash. (Not to mention I was half asleep, and could only skim the thread.)

But finally to the point, I'm definitely interested. Moved to London just under a month ago, and had been hoping to find something like this; this being the boardgames, not the not getting murdered thing, although that's good too.

Live near Leytonstone, so not far from DarkFenix, although I battle the central line more often than the Victoria. I'm pretty new to boardgames, having only ever really played the mainstream stuff*. As a result, I can't offer to bring anything yet, but I don't intend to leech forever. Also as I'm in a house share, don't really have the space to offer up a venue yet, but I have vague plans to move in six months to somewhere where I have a bit more space of my own (or at least share with people where I won't feel rude if I commandeer the dining room).

But assuming that the LoB session today goes well enough, and the RPS crew don't end up banned and/or murdered by the regulars I'm happy to pop along to the next session. Alternatively also up for an RPS specific event. I'll join up with the 'Not Get Murdered' group, and keep an eye on this thread.

* And I'm talking the boardgame equivalents of Wii tennis, not Halo.

DarkFenix
03-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Well I just got home not long ago from the LoB meetup today, and I can tell you that we quite successfully didn't get murdered. I believe about half a dozen or so of us showed up (me, Temple, Xercies, Daave, Psycho, possibly others I've forgotten) and fun was had.

I think I managed to get through about 4 or 5 different game throughout the day (regrettably I didn't get a chance to try Space Alert). I think the war games and similarly directly competitive ones are more my speed, and cooperative games too. The more indirectly competitive ones are ok, but not quite my taste. The LoB regulars are a friendly lot, very much open to newcomers (and clearly used to patiently explaining convoluted rules to total rookies) and bring a plethora of different board games to have a go at.

I'll certainly go along to another of these sometime, perhaps the one on Sunday 17th July in the same venue.

Xercies
03-07-2011, 10:48 PM
I had a great day playing The Game of thrones boardgame twice lol. Was a bit disappointed that i didn't get to play a few of the games like Space Alert that the other table with the RPSers were playing and i didn't get to play with you all, but maybe next time. But i can say after two games i absolutely love that board game, and the people i was playing with were really friendly so even if none of the RPSers were there i probably would have still went to be honest. Definitly recommend it, and definitely trying to see when else i can go to this.

aravar
03-07-2011, 11:26 PM
I'd say the experiment was a success, although next time I might need to turn up at the start so I can jump into a game earlier. Everyone there seemed really nice, and there were more games floating around than I could shake a stick at, so definite potential. But it also lends itself more to shorter games, and I slightly underestimated how long it takes to play Civ for the first time, sorry guys. Next time I'm keen to get a game of Space Alert in if there's one going.

BaronWR
04-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Yeah, that seemed to work pretty well, even if Civ did take a while longer than the two hours we were promised... Didn't manage to actually meet that many of the RPS people though: playes stuff with Daave and Aravar, and briefly met Temple and Darkfenix. Next time it might be an idea to co-ordinate arrival times, and possibly get there earlier so we can steal more tables...

Xercies
04-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah I needed to get there earlier, I got absolutly lost trying to get there even with a map and found out later on that I walked about a mile off the track. I am so terrible at directions XD

Temple
04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Good day all around (except for the re-writing of History and England managing not once, but twice to lose at Agincourt),
Got there before opening time and saw a huddle of handsome young men outside a pub. I met Paul and Jeff who are the organisers through London on Board http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/.
You know you are with nerds when I'm one of the more socially adept people there :)

Got to show off Battlelore to Daave and Fenix and then they were co-opted by a LoB member into a game of.. .Troyes I think? Psycho had turned up by now and I grabbed the opportunity to get a game of Battlelore in with him.

Psycho (who I shall continue to call Santa for his wonderful big bag of games) then introduced me and 3 non-rpsers to Spce Alert.
Space Alert became an instant fave and I can imagine playing it at every meeting as it produces gaming stories. Helped by Psycho and his statements. Such as this gem at the end of his first run through with us 'did anyone recharge the shields?' -a mention of the shields may have helped prior to that point Psy, just saying...
Which led to him saying something which could easily become Not Get Murdered's motto: 'I did not know you could lose the tutorial'

A second game now we understood shields produced much futility as everyone overcharged the shields and Psycho and another slapped away at the fire button for turn after turn with no power :)

Apologies to Xercies who I know wanted a game of Chaos in the Old World (though he got TWO GoT in -now that is dedication), but Fenix, Psycho and I were shown it by a LoB-ber who was a little too willing to win, good attempt by Fenix and Psyc to stop him -which let me quietly get close to winning. Have to say I'm not that struck on it, which saves me 50.

Time for a quick hello to Baron and aaravar, before heading off to watch the Tour de France highlights.

If you want to come along you can almost be assured of not getting murdered.
Join up at LoB out of politeness as we crash their events (and do mix with them as well)
Join the RPS group if you want http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?groupid=5

Daave
04-07-2011, 03:21 PM
When is the next Sunday thing? If there one in two weeks (17th) then I'll definitely come along and try to get some Horus Heresy in. I'd definitely play Battle Lore again, perhaps with a more interesting scenario. I'm glad I played the Civ board game, although I'd only play it again with people who knew the rules, as it dragged on towards the end.

I would have liked to play more games, but it was a great venue and nice people.

DarkFenix
04-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Battlelore was good fun, I actually enjoyed the simplicity and directness of it a lot more than any of the other games throughout the day. A shame it's only a small two player thing.

I did indeed inadvertantly stop Temple from sneakily winning in the penultimate turn of Chaos in the Old World, but hey, that's Chaos, even when they're nominally helping one another they trip each other up. The LoB'er who showed us Chaos in the Old World did seem in a bit of a hurry to win, regardless of playing three newbies. But that's a flaw of that game in my opinion, it's a rather hurried game with a strict turn limit and all your actions are about racing for the victory line with little tactical depth.

I got roped into two Troyes games during the day, second time more through a lack of any better idea near end day's end. I don't think I'll be terribly inclined towards it again. It's ok but the game seems to have some balance issues and some ways for a player to set up a sure victory early on with little chance of stopping them, not even through skill but by blind luck. Also, the guy who showed us Chaos in the Old World was one of the players and showed that slightly overcompetitive streak again, which didn't help my opinion towards it.

I'll try to show up a bit earlier for the next one, mixing with the guys outside before opening time sounds like a good way to get a chat to some of the others. People spend most of their time in the middle of a game so it's a bit hard to switch who you're playing with or meet any of the other folks. It would also be a good way to identify and congregate with fellow RPS'ers in order to get some games with them, I would very much like to try Space Alert and such.

Temple
04-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Yee-hah a Battlelore convert. Exactly why I like it: simplicity and directness, haven't played with the extra rules enough to make a decision on them, but I worry that it will muddy the waters.
You can add a ridiculous amount of magic, heroes, dragons to mix it up. I already have the second board to make it EPIC (supposed to be multiplayer that way as well).

I've posted meetup for Sunday 17th July (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=6&do=discuss)
I may go to LoB tomorrow night or Wednesday, and, indeed, the following weeks as well I'm not completely sure (all dependent on how my watching of the Tour de France goes)

[why the heck haven't I posted this yet?]

Xercies
04-07-2011, 08:42 PM
I've just joined the group, for some reason i couldn't see the button to join before. There's something a bit funny about the message "Are you sure you want to join the group Not Get Murdered". I probably might come again that Sunday, I mean i don't really have anything else to do this summer so a day out like the last time would be cool again. Unfortunatly the money situation is lookign a bit meagre and I have to go to save some money for a give in work/holiday for a number of weeks at the end of august.

karandraz
04-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Hey guys am still really interested in attending one of these, hopefully ill be able to come join you one weekend :)

Psycho
05-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Had a great time too! It was great to meet everyone.

Probably enjoyed battlelore the most out of the new games I played. And Space Alert is always good for a short burst of fun.

Would love to try out BattleStar Galactica with everyone (still my favourite I think). Temple - think Space Alert without the comedy errors, but with half the team people secretly working to sabotage the mission.

Not sure if I'll be able to make another weekend this month (definitely won't be able to make evenings).

Definitely be up for more soon, though!!

DarkFenix
05-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Who was it that brought the BSG board game along? Perhaps we should try getting a game of that going among as many RPS'ers as we can gather next time it's available. Also, Space Alert.

Temple
11-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Well something ate my long post -or I posted it somewhere else.
Psycho/Santa is the BSG and Space Alert owner, unfortunately he has a life beyond boardgames (the fool) and reckons he can't make any more in July (which I now see is the post above yours... too many threads)

Looks like I'm heading to tommorrow's night LoB. Meeting up with some people Psycho and I played/lost/enjoyed Space Alert with on the Sunday we all went. If they'll have me. Maybe I should explain our abject failure was all down to Psy. And that I wont murder them.

EDIT: Yay! They have not rejected me, so playing Through the Ages with near strangers tomorrow.
EDIT 2: Just to make Xercies look silly , Sunday 17th meetup (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=6&do=discuss) -the day after the (RPS social) night before though so not sure how many RPSers will make it

Xercies
11-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Is people coming to the Sunday one? Thats the one I probably will be able to go to definitely, after that there probably will be no more meetings for me since I don't have the money for it

EndelNurk
11-07-2011, 05:44 PM
I've talked to a few people from the Nottingham and Derby area in various parts of the RPS community now. The board game club that I go to is on every Tuesday evening, every Thursday evening (barring the first Thursday of the month) and one Saturday each month at Mondo Comico in Lace Market. There's also a monthly very long game day on a Saturday. Almost all of the people I've met there were very friendly, perhaps some of you might like to come along? The Mondo Comico events are free, although there is a 2 raffle if you would like to enter that supports the store and could also leave you with a lot of store credit to buy or order a new game.

Daave
13-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Will you be attending on Sunday Temple?

Temple
14-07-2011, 07:14 AM
I'm in two minds and was going to ask who was going. If I go it will only be for a couple of hours in the morning, so 11am-1pm, and there is the RPS Social Night the day/night before -you know what, as I write that I realise I prefer playing games to not-talking-to-people at social nights.

I mean conversation? What is that all about?

Went to Tuesday night bash and got to try out Through the Ages (and won) which is a rather excellent Civ game. If I had a gaming group into Euro style games I'd definitely buy it. Even slapped on a quick Race for the Galaxy at the end which I think is one of the better games out there.

So, yes I am going Sunday getting there pre-11am. Not sure what I can play in a couple of hours.

BaronWR
14-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Well, I think I'll probably be along: not sure how long I'll be around for, and it depends on me not being too hungover from the Blue posts the night before. I might bring Race for the Galaxy along if people want to play that, although I'd really like to get a game of Chaos in the Old World going. I'll aim to turn up early, I think, 11ish.

DarkFenix
14-07-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm definitely going along on Sunday. I'll be trying to get there pre-11am, but may well have to clear off 4-5-ish depending on another commitment that day.

Xercies
14-07-2011, 02:51 PM
I'll try to be there, I don't have any commitments so probably be there all day again.

Temple
15-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Get on the LoB page and convince Kester to bring Chaos in ye Old Worlde if you are hankering for such.
http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/events/21224821/

Didn't grab me when I played it.

DarkFenix
15-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Perhaps if it were played among 4 RPS'ers, all of whom knew the rules somewhat, it'd be more fun. That as opposed to 3 clueless newbies and 1 uber-geek who's clearly played it loads.

Given the game's popularity I can't imagine it taking too long for someone to show up with the Skaven expansion too.

JamesG
15-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, I'm intending to try and make it, and have dropped a message on the LoB group. I'll try and get there for the start, but what with the other RPS meet-up tomorrow...

Quite new to this whole board-gaming lark, but willing to slip in to any game where people are prepared to tolerate my ignorance.

aravar
16-07-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm hoping to make it along, might try to get there for 11am as well, because that is after all what Sunday mornings are for. Thought is bring Cosmic Encounter this time if anyone is interested in that, although part of me does want to bring civ do I can ruthlessly crush new players with my skill, but that didn't play out so well last time. I'd also be interested in trying out a game of Chaos in the Old World, although I might agree with temple that having the game taught to you but someone who is clearly trying to win isn't the best way to start. Was there also a suggestion of battlestar galactica?

I think we might need flags saying "not getting murdered" this time, just so we can all spot each other.

Psycho
16-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Sorry - I won't be able to make tomorrow. It's a shame because I really had fun last time. Definitely up for more in the future. I should have a life back come mid August.

Xercies
16-07-2011, 09:49 AM
I'd be more interested to play Chaos, hearing what you people say its gotten me concerned though. Maybe after I play that I will cross it off my list. BSG kind of wins it out for me a bit more then Cosmic Encounters because I've seen how that plays, but I don't mind. Maybe we need to be more known to each other as a group, because half the fun of that game is accusing everyone.

Temple
16-07-2011, 12:44 PM
@Xercies -like I say, get over to LoB and ask Kester Jarvis to bring their copy -he was offering.

I've prodded someone into bringing Space Alert, so hopefully I can get in a game of that with some of you. Unfortunately, I'm only going to be there a couple of hours, I'm currently settling down for the last 4 and a half hours of today's Tour stage (one and a half hours in already). So, it is safe to say that I'm 'in to it' this year and want to watch it live tomorrow (and the following Sunday).

Long term I'll be going to Sunday 31st July then 7th, 21st August and staying for a decent length of time.
Probably not bank holiday Sunday unless we all decide that is what we're doing :)
By then I hope to get my games list up and people can make requests -I think Runebound would go down reasonably well (set in the same world as Descent, but combat is less visceral)

Also, you are ALL cylons.

DarkFenix
16-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Cleared the rest of the day's schedule, I'll be there all day.

DarkFenix
17-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Just got back from the latest LoB event. Much fun was had, murders were not. Managed to try out quite a lot of games today, although regrettably not Space Alert again.

EndelNurk
17-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I got a chance to try Space Alert last Thursday. I wasn't really attracted to it by Quinns' review but still grabbed the chance when I had it. I really loved it, although I know others at the board were less convinced. One was thinking of buying it but said he usually gamed with people after a drink or two and thought it was likely to start fights. I had thought that the limited number of missions on the CD would limit replayability but there's more than enough variability elsewhere so I no longer believe that to be a problem. It also created some fun stories: one player sat pressing a button once every single turn as he hadn't realised that a) it wouldn't work the first time and b) that although it would work the second time the third, fourth and fifth times would be a waste of resources. I got stuck on the wrong side of the ship firing repeatedly at a meteor because I had forgotten that I had blown it up three turns ago. I then fired a rocket that would have hit the turn after we all died. Yet another loss for me in my impressively poor board gaming record :)

Psycho
17-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Was it good today? What games did you try out Fenix?

DarkFenix
18-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Yeah, if anything better than last time. Problem is I can never remember the names of games. I know I tried Horus Heresy, there was a card game called Parade, another number based card game I never knew the name of in the first place, played Seven Wonders once, a space civilisation-esque card game, a card game offshoot of Space Hulk. Hmm, possibly another couple, I got a lot more different games played this time round courtesy of a lot more quick games being brought.

I'm definitely a lot better at war games than anything else. Gaining arbitrary victory points through some kind of economic process just doesn't seem to be my thing. I won at Battlelore last time, won at Horus Heresy this time, won the space-civ game simply because I drew good military cards and forced the game's premature end through absurdly rapid military conquest.

Temple
18-07-2011, 07:45 AM
@Fenix Oooh, oooh, guess the games. I like playing this one (I have a die from a childhood game that I am always trying to remember the game it came from)
Space-civ was probably Race for the Galaxy (always feel military is over-powered great game though). Space Hulk offshoot was Death Angel.
Hah, you are going to turn into a grognard and play only hex-based chit wargames of excruciating detail.

Right important thing (sort of)
I definitely cannot make the 24th, from the LoB calendar (http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/events/calendar/) it looks like there isn't one on the 31st and I'm sure the pub said to tell the organisers that the 7th August was not possible as they were renovating. The 14th is already booked by the RP group that uses the pub. So the next day might be the 21st August.

Is it time to *gulp* meet up at someone's place?
I know a lot of you travel so we'd have to try and play a whole day to make it worth it. I think BSG and Space Alert would go down well, I'd offer Runebound as a bit of a hack and slash.

Or, I'll get on to Jeff Clark and see if the 31st July might come up -or I just get my gaming fix in the evening events (which I'm going to anyway if people want to arrange anything)

DarkFenix
18-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Correct on both counts Temple, it was Race for the Galaxy and Death Angel.

Given the success in Not Getting Murdered so far perhaps it is time to leave the proverbial nest and take the plunge in a more likely to get murdered location.

Xercies
18-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Got to play Chaos of the Old World, I thought it was...Ok, it didn't really light my fire as much as some other games but I did think it did have some interesting machanics. Khorne was a little overpowered I have to say.

What did light my fire was Agricola, which really did make me feel that I was a medieval farmer trying to survive all the harvests. There is so much to juggle in it its unbelievable, you got your food that you have to have nough to feed your family every harvest, you got other people blocking you from doing certain things, you have to manage to fill your farm full of things, and the various different occupations and minor improvements you can have, also you got to at the end have at least 1 thing of everything because otherwise your points go down. I definitly loved it.

Beginning to really like these complex boardgames. Also sorry Temple I didn't get to play anything with you.

Daave
18-07-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm prepared to host something at my house, it's large enough for about 5 or 6 and I haven't murdered anyone in ages. I live a little out of the way but can be got to in about 30/40 minutes from Victoria or Clapham Junction (or London Bridge for that matter). Perhaps some sort of RPG-style game would be in order as it doesn't make sense to have a load of RPS peeps round and play Mousetrap.

Suggestions welcome. I was thinking something along the lines of Descent, Arkham Horror or even Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader. Possibly with a quicker, friendlier game to kick things off (maybe Settlers of Catan for want of a better idea).

McDan
18-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Annoyed that going to festivals and pre-planned events have so far stopped me coming to one of these things. I just want to play boardgames! And not get murdered, but that's optional DLc, and I'll be buggered if I pay for it. Anyway, seeing as that went of into nowhere I really want to come to one, so I will? Yes, that seems right.

Temple
20-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Curse you Xercies, so far you got to play Game of Thrones and now Agricola. I was addicted to that game before it came out, but gave up on boardgames just before it was actually released.

Sunday was good for me even if I did run off very early. Got to demo Battlelore again, this time to Chris who returned the favour with Chrononauts.
Was very interesting and something I'd love to try by myself. Just before we started I mentioned to Chris I don't like solo boardgames much -too much like solving a puzzle. After playing Chrono though I think I'd prefer to play it slow either alone or with other people willing to take their time, and create/pay attention to a story as you flip events through time.

Nice night last night went to LoB on Tuesdays. Spur of the moment thing. Initally, no one was there and I had to convince myself it was the right day. Ended up being shown Cuba and Brass both of which I'm glad to have seen, oh, and I won both :)
Cuba is a cube trading/economic engine thing about fruit (and Rum) and Brass is a Martin Wallace 19th century Northern England wool trading game. Heh, I don't understand how people can think boardgames are boring...
Starting to think playing this many new games is like demos for computer games in that I just go on to the next one.
So many games to play. For Free!

Anyway this post is to say that LoB on Sunday is happening on the 31st July (http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/events/26155721/) as an extra date (I asked and received. Hey I want a meeleon dollas....) The Tour is over so I'm going for a full day session.
I'd be interested in getting a game of Runebound (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/21523/runebound-second-edition) going. I'd suggest the vanilla game option just to check it out and see who likes it or otherwise. There can be a bit of downtime between turns, so maybe not too many players.
Chris says he is a bit fantasy adventure stylee played out due to Talisman so maybe the Midnight (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/19892/runebound-midnight) expansion (I have it, but never played it) with him as the bad guy might float his boat -I've been looking at reviews though and people seem to think the bad guy role is sort of boring.
I feel way too conscious recommending games to play.

Vexing Vision
20-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Agricola is a brilliant game. It took me ages to find an English version (plus Swamp-expansion), but it was worth it. I love how infinitely replayable it is.

If you guys are looking into lengthy games, I definitely recommend someone buy the Starcraft Boardgame, which is actually really good as well (though Zergs are unbalanced, but the Expansion which I don't have yet is supposed to fix that.)

TillEulenspiegel
20-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Agricola is a brilliant game. It took me ages to find an English version (plus Swamp-expansion), but it was worth it. I love how infinitely replayable it is.
But playing with an English-speaking group and using German game terms is half the fun! :-)

I always like to grab the original version of a game rather than a translation; thankfully, most are either English or German.

Vexing Vision
20-07-2011, 05:15 PM
I usually agree with you, but Z-Man games actually make really, really good translations of Rosenberg games. And a lot of our boardgaming friends are non-German.

And explaining 500+ cards before starting to play a game is a bit of a pain.

BaronWR
20-07-2011, 05:56 PM
@Xercies: so you were the Slaanesh player then? I was playing Nurgle. I don't think that was the ideal way to play Chaos in the Old world: some crucial stuff (like how important ruination is) was not really explained fully, and Khorne is definitely overpowered in the hands of an experienced player. I liked the fairly strict limit on the number of turns and the way the world basically ended in the last round though. Playing it again might be interesting. Still haven't played Agricola and probably should.

Xercies
20-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Yes i was Slaanesh. I have to agree on the Ruination thing, I was really surprised after it happened that I shot up like most of the board because of the points it gave you. If I knew about it before maybe i would have felt i actually earned those points instead of feeling like it was a little bit of luck.

I'm very tempted in buying Agricola, its quite cheap on Amazon from the looks of it.

desvergeh
20-07-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm very tempted in buying Agricola, its quite cheap on Amazon from the looks of it.

Have to say Agricola is perhaps my favourite game. Deep, surprisingly engaging (considering the theme), but with enough variability to stop it going stale. Scales real well too. Not many games work so well 1 player and up to 5 players.

I think boardgameguru have it on special offer along with farmers of the moor. Also check out Through the Seasons, a free expansion for it that you just download and print-out.

Now off to setup a game of Dominant Species :)

EndelNurk
20-07-2011, 08:54 PM
If you've been enjoying these economic games then I recommend Glen More. It's a pure euro-type city- (well village really) building game with some trading and resource production/management stuff. It's also based in Scotland and involves making lots of whisky. My group don't seem to really enjoy the euro stuff (I'll admit that I can only take it in small doses myself) but I really enjoyed Glen More and Puerto Rico. Will try and get someone to bring along Agricola as it sounds pretty great for me.

DarkFenix
20-07-2011, 11:05 PM
@Daave: Does somebody actually currently own Descent? That'd be handy.

@Temple: I'd love to try Runebound to get a taste of that kind of thing. I'll be going on 31st, all day again.

desvergeh
21-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I know most of you are London based... but just in case anyone from slightly further north is lurking around here -

Have found a birmingham group who meet every 1st sunday of the month:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/afternoonplay

Usually meet at a central bham coffee shop, but the next one on august 7th is a picnic event at a local park.

Will go along and report back.

Daave
21-07-2011, 06:51 PM
I'd be prepared to buy it if I was convinced that people would play it with me, and maybe some of the other people could buy the expansions. Post in this thread if you're prepared to make a semi-long term commitment to a game and are up for not getting murdered*

DarkFenix
21-07-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm officially up for committing to something fairly long-ish term, also have the spare cash to go towards Descent/expansions.

I believe we need exactly 5 people who can commit on a fairly regular basis.

aravar
21-07-2011, 07:35 PM
This all sounds great! Some bigger games would be good to play. I like to Arkham Horror definitely, and if there's a motion to play Descent I'd be really interested. I'm happy to make semi long term commitment, but how often are people thinking of playing? I might be limited to once/twice a month, since I'm north of London. I'm also up for not getting murdered, so I think that makes me a suitable candidate.

On a related note I have the old Warhammer quest game from Games Workshop, but I don't know how it compares to Descent, and it's been ages since I've played it, although I was really keen on it when I was 14!

As for LoB events, I might actually be able to get to the one on the 31st, but I think I'm supposed to be going on a pub crawl the day before, so I wouldn't take it as definite.

Temple
21-07-2011, 11:20 PM
So it ate my message at 2am this morning. It was witty.

My question is does anyone have Arkham Horror as I'd love to try. Looking for a big game I can play solo -I play WOW:the boardgame solo and love it.

I put a link in the group to my games list (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=25&do=discuss) I just put up on BGG.
Some for a group of us are:
Twilight Imperium (large, long and complicated)
Starcraft (never played)
Warrior Knights (Quinns liked for the backstabbery)
War of the Ring (only ever half-played)
Quest for the Dragonlords (bit like Conquest of Nerath I think)
WOW: the adventure game (same scale as Runebound)

A bit like aravar with WQ, I've got Advanced Heroquest we could try for dungeon slashing -though saying that I'd need to check the pieces (also the D&D game I mention in the above link)
Happy to chip in on Descent and expansions as well. Holiday 13th-20th August, but other than that I am around.

Dunno if you got the email from the LoB organiser. He's quitting and wants someone else to take over. I felt he was getting more and more pissed off. He stopped selling games at LoB. Now telling people off for not RSVPing and playing two-player games on Tuesday nights.

@desvergh -you'll want to check with them that you will not get murdered before you go. Not everyone offers you the same cast-iron guarantee as our little group you know.

DarkFenix
21-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Any idea what was getting under his skin? A bit of a surprise, seeing as he's been doing it for years.

Temple
22-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Mentions he wanted more time to game :)
People were bothering him all the time and stopping him from getting his game on.

The (great) guy who demoed Cuba and Brass for a bunch of us told me how happy he was because he got to show games he actually liked playing rather than some of the crap ones.
He also complained about the super-nerd who was one of the group he was showing the games to -that dude lacked some social skills- so I cannot imagine how much worse it must be to be the boss.

BaronWR
22-07-2011, 07:30 AM
@Temple, I do indeed have Arkham Horror: I'd organise a game, but I'm horrendously busy at the moment, and don't really have the 6 hours or so it takes to play at the moment.

In principle, I'd be quite keen on Descent, but it'll have to wait until at least some of my current stresses are out of the way. Once I have some idea where I'll be living next month I'll be able to give people a better idea.

Daave
22-07-2011, 08:35 AM
I'll try to get hold of the vanilla game for the next LoB meetup on 31st.

desvergeh
22-07-2011, 11:47 AM
@desvergh -you'll want to check with them that you will not get murdered before you go. Not everyone offers you the same cast-iron guarantee as our little group you know.

Well am going along with my wife and a RL friend... so if we do get murdered that is a lot to dispose of. I suspect that would be too much hassle for them... although it is a "picnic" event... suspicious scotch egg anyone?

Daave
23-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Well. I've bought the game (for 65) and if it gets delivered before 31st I'll bring it to the next LoB meetup. I'm assuming that DarkFenix and Temple are up for this, but the 4th and 5th players are possibly not fixed yet. We should probably exchange steam usernames or email addresses to better facilitate communication and suchlike.

Edit: aravar is in. I also have a friend by the name of Henry who will probably be game (if you'll pardon the pun) so I guess we just need to get in contact and get organising!

Fillem
25-07-2011, 12:29 AM
After reading this I'm kind of sad I don't live in dreary England :(

Temple
27-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Let my self get sucked into a game of Agricola last night. I wanted to learn it for a long time (and I can see it is a good game) so could not turn it down, but I was up for learning something silly like Pandemic or Nexus Ops so it did not go down well.
Instead 3.5 hours playing something that I wasn't in the mood for, with a couple of people who weren't the best to play with and then the people who knew how to play it just suddenly screwed me at the end. Fun!
Someone had brought Arkham along as well which I so want to try to see if I'm buying it :(
And Alien Frontiers (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JFTzD7iPzA) which is something I really like the look of.

Now really looking forward to some Ameritrash Descent or Runebound on Sunday.

BaronWR
27-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Sounds pretty poor. I'm kind of keen to learn Agricola at some point, but it does seem like some of the LoB people are more interested in winning than everyone having an enjoyable game. Can't say I'm a huge fan of Pandemic, though: it's a bit too deterministic for me and I like things with a bit more flavour.

Once I have got out of my current job/flat-hunting related panic, and provided people don't mind me hogging vast areas of table, I will bring Arkham Horror along to one of the Sunday meets (possibly the August 21st meet-up), so don't go buying it quite yet.

desvergeh
27-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Let my self get sucked into a game of Agricola last night. I wanted to learn it for a long time (and I can see it is a good game) so could not turn it down, but I was up for learning something silly like Pandemic or Nexus Ops so it did not go down well.
Instead 3.5 hours playing something that I wasn't in the mood for, with a couple of people who weren't the best to play with and then the people who knew how to play it just suddenly screwed me at the end. Fun!
Someone had brought Arkham along as well which I so want to try to see if I'm buying it :(
And Alien Frontiers (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JFTzD7iPzA) which is something I really like the look of.

Now really looking forward to some Ameritrash Descent or Runebound on Sunday.

Sorry to hear you had a bad time with Agricola. Did your family starve? If not then you can count that as a win for your first game, especially if other players were blocking you out of the good spots. Personally I never play Agricola "against" the other players, in that I choose actions that are best for me, not those that screw over other players.

Both Arkham and Descent can be good fun (although I do have some issues with Descent).

Xercies
27-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah I think I was with a nice enough group that when I played it, they were I think a bit easy on me with the blocking stuff and even when they were it was a little bit more fun since we did have a bit of a laugh with it.

DarkFenix
27-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Nice one Daave, hopefully we can get the 5 organised soon and work out when to meet, find whether everyone present actually likes the game, then perhaps work out something regarding the expansions once we have 5 people who actually will commit.

Temple
27-07-2011, 02:01 PM
We're organised! Or not. We'll discuss it this Sunday and share emails/facebooks etc.
Have a week in Wales coming up, so not around 13th-20th August but after (and before) that should be free.

Anyone notice Amazon reduces the price of something you put in your basket but don't buy immediately?
Warhammer Invasion has decreased over the last week and now down to 21.92 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1589946685/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE)
Not sure I actually want it though. 2-player ain't my bag at the moment. I'd play Battlelore or Memoir if I was playing 2-player.
Battles of Westeros add-ons keep fluctuating in price as well -haven't even got the base game and I still think of buying them :)

Daave
28-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Order posted, let's see if it arrives!

aravar
28-07-2011, 03:09 PM
@Daave - Awesome, I'm definitely looking forward to trying out some Descent dungeon crawling. Are you planning to bring it on Sunday if it turns up in time? Still up for Horus Heresy if not?

@Temple - I have a copy of Arkham Horror (just the core game), that I snaffled cheap off ebay. I can bring it along on Sunday if you want to take a look at it, though we might not get Descent and Arkham Horror into the same day. Arkham horror seems to be a 3+ hour game at any rate. I also have Warhammer Invasion, I've only played it once, and it was a bit disastrous, but I'd like to give it another go, so happy to try it again if you'd like to try it out. Plus I think you can probably play it multiplayer, with just a little bit of rules fudging.

Temple
28-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks a lot for the offer Chris.
I managed to paw over/pore over the box in Tuesday so no need to tease me with another sighting as I don't think we'll get to play it. Between Descent/Horus, Runebound and another game that I might bring (I think the D&D adventure game if Dave's delivery ain't arrived -unless anyone is crying out for Battlelore/Memoir) and Warhammer Invasion AND all the other games that will just be there and I want to play that we'll be sorted.

Might go beg on LoB see if whoever brought the copy last week wants to play Arkham on the Wednesday.

Xercies
28-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Ergh why does money have to be so limiting a resource. I really want to go and can't. Damn You!

Daave
28-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Well it should be delivered tomorrow, so I have Saturday as a fall back. Whilst Arkham Horror is awesome, getting people to play two monster games on one day would be a bit much. There's no reason why us RPS-types couldn't organise a game round someone's place, BaronWR and aravar both have a copy and I've even played it with Rory and some of his little game group.

I'll probably bring Horus Heresy anyway and see if someone else wants to play it, or possibly play it if the Descent game finishes at a reasonable hour. Although I enjoyed playing a few games that lasted less than an hour last time, such as Space Alert, Race for the Galaxy and Cosmic Encounters.

The plan as I understand it is to try out Descent on Sunday, exchange contact details, tentatively arrange a date to play (I don't mind hosting the first one), see about buying some of the expansions for Descent and not get murdered.

aravar
29-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Well that all sounds like a brilliant plan. I'll just bring some lightweight games along on Sunday then.

Daave
29-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Fucking hell there are lots of bits to this game. I'll try to learn the rules by Sunday :S

Temple
31-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Descent thread in our group page for us to chat on
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?gmid=188&do=discuss#gmessage188

Think I'm in two minds about it. Wonder if I have stamina for long games anymore. Loved the first game next two less fun. Maybe the expansions with more options would re-engage me... and not getting webbed for the entire game :)

R-F
31-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Merseyside area, here. :D The only thing I've got is Call of Cthulhu and, well... You know how that is.

Anyone about there?

Ilinx
01-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Oxfordshire area, here (though mainly central oxford). I already have a regular group that consists mostly of work colleagues; we're a friendly bunch, we have a venue (a superb little pub) and we always seem to end up with either too few players to fill a 5-6 player game, or not quite enough to run two consecutively. We've got Descent, Mansions of Madness, Last Night on Earth, Alien Frontiers, Space Hulk 1st Edition, Space Hulk 3rd Edition, Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Dominion and a few more.

moth bones
01-08-2011, 01:18 PM
I'll be along to one of these Sunday sessions as soon as they stop clashing with exciting cricket. Would definitely be up for joining in this Descent business, if there's room.

Michael
05-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Anyone interested in a Glasgow based meet-up?
Currently manage to get the odd game with friends when we can successfully co-ordinate schedules but rarely with more than three players. Would be willing to organise something if there were a few folk up for it.

desvergeh
08-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Just a quick report on attending Afternoon Play - A group in the Birmingham area.

http://www.facebook.com/?tid=2113668435975&sk=inbox#!/event.php?eid=229618213727390

Was an unusual session for them, as it was outdoors in a park (is usually in a coffee shop).

Group seemed pretty nice. Only played a couple of small games. Watched Blokus being played, had a couple of rounds of Button Men (small 5 minute game that is free to print out), was taught to play 7 Wonders in a 6 player game (my military might of Rhodes was not enough to secure a win).

Whilst I was doing this my wife was enjoying a game of bowls with some of the rest of the group.

After that time left for a go on the pedalos in a thunderstorm and then home.

Can recommend the group to anyone interested. As they only meet for 3-4 hours though, they tend to play small light games, that take at most 1 hour.

I'm also aiming to attend a group nearby in Bromsgrove, which is currently being arranged.

If anyone needs any details feel free to contact me.

moth bones
21-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Anyone going to the London On Board session today?

Jorum
18-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi, I'm registering my board game interest.
I'm based in Stevenage, Hertfordshire (UK).

Board games I own (and that I can actually find)
Space Hulk 3rd Ed
Cave Troll
Willow
Heroquest
Runebound
Bloodbowl
Chaos Marauders (the original)
Thunderroad
Temple of the Beastmen (possibly incomplete? hard to tell due to how many bloody cards there are).
Talisman (2nd Edition)
Dreadfleet

Having two small children not sure if I'll have much free time, but I live in hope.
There are actually a few wargame clubs in Stevenage, but seem to be mainly wargame and RP based, and afaik none are RPS people and thus inherently inferior.
If I am exceptionally good boy, I may even get let out for a day to a London meet sometime.

qwertymartin
20-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Hi guys

I'm the aforementioned new organizer of London on Board. Someone who came along last night mentioned he'd found us through RPS so I thought I'd infiltrate you in return ;)

Paul, the previous organiser, is still an active member, he just wanted to take a back seat so he can spend all his LoB time gaming. He stopped selling at LoB because with the taxi he had to take to bring all the games he was making basically nothing. He still does a discount for LoB members through his website.

We've had to crack down a bit on RSVPs and 2-player games just because we've been getting so full recently! There were 40+ there last night and it's oversubscribed again tonight. We just can't take more than 50 in that room or it gets uncomfortable for everyone.

Hope to meet some of you soon if I haven't already.

Martin

Xercies
25-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Bumpity Bump Bump Bump.

Downtime Town seems to me like a good idea and since this was what this thread is all about I think we need to get onto it stat! So we need to make a glorious network of Board Game people and then we can...DESTROY THE WORLD! Or meet up either way I'm happy

BillButNotBen
26-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Made a Downtime Town thread... http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?1520-DowntimeTown-creation-thread

Panda with issues...
26-09-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm a boardgamer in Southampton who normally ends up travelling to York for his fix.

Have a bunch of games, and would have no problem running some game nights.

Dominion by far my current favourite, and the best game to come out in quite some time.

Drop me a PM if you're in Southampton, we'll see what we can sort.

Will not murder. Is too messy.

The Tongue
28-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Hey all, long time reader and I've finally signed up for the forums, that's how excited this makes me. I'm in Sydney, Australia and am building a small mountain of board games. problem is my friends have many different schedules of work/study so trying to arrange a time when everyone is free is a nightmare. But hey, I got the games and i got the time. Now i just need some more players. so how bout it? Anyone here Sydney side?

Windward
28-09-2011, 11:49 PM
I've been to the last two tuesday LoB nights (thanks to this thread) and had a lovely time although everyone I met stared blankly when I mentioned RPS, any other tuesdayers amongst us? Definitely up for other meetups!

My stepmum is from Sydney, Tongue, so I'm sure I'll visit one day...

The Tongue
30-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Well i just joined a meetup group with about 100 members that seem to do semi-regular things all across the city. first ones on monday (public holiday) so hopefully it'll be good. and if you do drop by windward shoot us an email eh?

Xercies
30-09-2011, 11:52 AM
@Windword

A lot of RPSers have been going on Sundays, not to sure if thats happenning still because Temple and the other have dissapeared off the map...

BaronWR
30-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Actually, I think me and Aravar are going to loB this Sunday, if other people want to come along.

arienette
30-09-2011, 12:11 PM
I've been going on Mondays, clearly the best day.

Jorum
24-10-2011, 02:07 PM
I've posted on the "downtime town creation" thread, but to repeat here, I'd be interested in arranging something regular in North Herts (probably Stevenage based) if there are people around the area.

Sarigs
24-10-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm based in Hastings although work in Brighton, interested in this kind of malarky if anyone is local? London is doable but a bit too far for a regular jaunt!

ntw
26-10-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm based in Hastings although work in Brighton, interested in this kind of malarky if anyone is local? London is doable but a bit too far for a regular jaunt!

I've just started going to the Brighton Boardgames Club (google it), small but they seem friendly enough.

Sarigs
26-10-2011, 11:25 AM
I've just started going to the Brighton Boardgames Club (google it), small but they seem friendly enough.

Thanks for the heads up NTW, I'll have a look through the site, look just right and nice positioning, any idea what time it ran to when you've been there so I can work out trains and ting? :-)

ntw
26-10-2011, 12:26 PM
They meet at 7:30 for a 7:45 start and we finished playing last night at about 11, but some people finished earlier and *obviously* you don't have to stay until the end :D

It's about 10 minute walk from Brighton Station. Anything else I can help with?

Sarigs
26-10-2011, 12:38 PM
No no that's more then enough, thanks for the info mine and I'm sure you likely see me down there at some point :-)

Pertusaria
16-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Graah, dog nudged my hand as I was posting.

The Irish Games Association has a weekly meet-up in Dublin in the Dark Horse, which is a pub near Tara Street train station, every Thursday at 7 PM. I need some incentive to stay in town on Thursday night, so if anyone here feels like going, please post here ahead of time and I'll do my best to go.

Games I definitely have:
Saboteur
Dwarf King
Einfach Genial (2 player; no language skills needed)
Kahuna (2 player)
the two-player version of Settlers of Catan (being able to understand a small amount of German would help).

I might be able to steal back my copy of Munchkin and/or borrow some other games, but that would require more planning than the above.

IGA's Facebook page, which seems to be the best way of keeping tabs on them, is here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/IGA-Games-Nights/184070381620554?v=wall

strangeed
04-12-2011, 11:06 AM
This is probably a long shot but I was wondering if anyone's in Perth, Australia? Recently moved here and would love to find a group of people for board games/card games.

Sadly don't have any games with me myself since I only arrived a few weeks ago after travelling.

Any suggestions on where to look for groups?

ntw
04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
boardgamegeek might be a good place to start, I'm sure there are some other sites linked in this thread somewhere as well.

DukeOfChutney
28-12-2011, 08:09 PM
If anyones in the Leeds area the Leeds Uni Sci FI/ SF society has gaming days every saturaday of term http://geekyleeds.net/. We play a mix of ameritrash and Euro games. Talisman gets played far more than it deserves, as does Settlers of Catan, A game of scones and cosmic encounter make infrequent appearances etc. it runs 3pm-10pm in the union building. A few non students come so im sure you'll be welcome aslong as your amiable.

Also i run a once a month board game night at my church (also in Leeds), its 3rd friday of the month. PM me if you want to come to this. WE tend to play simpler games here; Survive, Anke-morpork, i tried running cosmic but half those playing didnt get it.

Jorum
01-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi,

I've started a new club in Stevenage and North Herts area, so if your'e interested take a look.
We are up to eight people already so more the merrier.

http://www.meetup.com/Stevenage-Boardgame-Club/

groovychainsaw
05-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Well, I was just coming into here to state an interest in some mid-week london boardgaming now that I work in london and there's a club in stevenage, too. How exciting. I've gone from no boardgame options to possibly 2.

I can get over to stevo, but it would be more of a weekend thing (I'm over near harlow), evenings would be a bit tricky. I'll pop an application in Jorum, if thats ok, I don't know how much of a 'regular' i can be.

So, anyone boardgaming in london during the week at the moment?

arienette
05-01-2012, 05:16 PM
So, anyone boardgaming in london during the week at the moment?

http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/

groovychainsaw
05-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Well, that IS handy, any RPS types go specifically to one of those mid-week ones? (So I have someone familiar to cling to for safety?)

arienette
05-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I used to go on weekdays but recently started doing weekends. I first heard about it here but have never knowingly played with anyone from RPS. I'm sure there are a fair few though.

Prester John
05-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Board/Wargamer in Cardiff here. Got a couple of opponents but always on the look out for more. Biggest issue is time having a young family. What i'd really love to do someday is play World in Flames face to face - now thats a time/space hog !!

Temple
06-01-2012, 04:52 PM
The RPS group-up-a-bit http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?groupid=5 has a few members you may recognise as I know some of them do those other social evenings organised by RPS. Brrrr, mixing with human beings.
It has been said many times, but the London on Board people are lovely, best to join up there so you can rsvp as they get over 50 people for the midweek sessions and that is their capacity.

Makariel
20-01-2012, 09:09 PM
not applicable anymore

ActualBenny
22-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Greetings!

I'm another one of these "interested but not really tried" chaps from North London (Wood Green). I moved down a couple of months ago and have yet to take advantage of opportunities like these and would be interested in meeting up with any locals in a similar situation as I plan on attending some of the bigger RPS meets once I've got to know some folks and I'm not just that chap with the beard and long hair in the corner :p

Joined the Not Get Murdered group and I'm gonna look into this London On Board one, but if anyone wants to double team on them feel free to give me a poke

Makariel
07-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Hello! Still people around playing games with boards? Looking for people to play with/against in Hampshire.