PDA

View Full Version : Comment from girlfriend on D3

Skeletor68
03-05-2012, 09:10 AM
So I was playing some Diablo 2 yesterday while waiting for 3 to arrive (I can't wait) and my gf looks over my shoulder and comes straight out with these comments. Bear in mind she has only seen me play the beta of D3.

GF: Huh, the atmosphere looks much darker in Diablo 2.
Me: ...
GF: Diablo 3 looks more cartoony and like World of Warcraft.
GF: Woman, have you been hanging out on internet forums?!

Stormbane
03-05-2012, 09:14 AM
And then she told her woman to get her a sandwich?

soldant
03-05-2012, 09:21 AM
So, basically, the story is that you actually don't exist, and she was talking to herself all along?

Wait... sounds like a plot for an indie shadow-platformer. I'll start writing a pretentious Kickstarter if someone else wants to start coding.

JackShandy
03-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I think this is like a Garfield minus garfield thing.

NathanH
03-05-2012, 10:27 AM
The most natural explanation is that Skeletor is also a woman, and her girlfriend was just making a non sequitur.

of course nobody considered that because you're all vile bigots, all of you.

Skeletor68
03-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Heh, whoops. That should have been...

GF: Huh, the atmosphere looks much darker in Diablo 2.
GF: Diablo 3 looks more cartoony and like World of Warcraft.
Me: Woman, have you been hanging out on internet forums?!

Now if there was any funny in there to begin with it, it has just been lost to the void.

I just thought it was weird/funny that her instant comment on the game mirrored all the internet arguments I've seen. Art style doesn't bother me but it was as if my girlfriend was suddenly possessed by the internet, the bad part (not the good bad part).

icupnimpn2
03-05-2012, 12:10 PM
I think the Skelator68 monologue form has potential to supplant the Socratic dialogue for offering insight to the human condition. There are several elements.

Starts with paragraph to establish the setting and things to bear in mind. There are two roles, that of the author "Me:" and that of the "GF."

GF is a layperson but displays insight into a topic they should have no first-hand experience with.

Me cannot speak but can pause the monologue for purpose of emphasis. This is to give the reader or audience time to feel surprise at GF's outsider's perspective that rings strikingly close to home.

Any dialogue that Me would say is finally spoken by GF. Essentially, at the end GF has become Me.

Skeletor68
03-05-2012, 12:14 PM
GF: Oh you're posting on RPS about me.
Me:...
GF: It's not very funny.
GF: Maybe I should pretend to be a spambot as an excuse for why this isn't funny.

NathanH
03-05-2012, 12:17 PM
I suspect Girlfriend is becoming increasing angry because the object of her affections, Me, turns out to be an annoying JRPG character who speaks in ellipses.

QuantaCat
03-05-2012, 12:24 PM
and the main opponent is "You" from lone survivor?

icupnimpn2
03-05-2012, 12:31 PM
I am imagining Skeletor with giant, spiky hair. That is despite the avatar to the contrary.

Skeletor68
03-05-2012, 12:47 PM
I am imagining Skeletor with giant, spiky hair. That is despite the avatar to the contrary.

Ruhruhruhruhruh... I am actually Fujimora Pantsu... your arch nemesis all along...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl-cgdcpQbE

Hypernetic
03-05-2012, 01:08 PM
and that's how it really happened.

Tei
03-05-2012, 01:59 PM
After playing the beta, my oponions is that he critics where true: the game athmosphere as changed from grimm horror to adventure, but I thing is a good thing that hse voices have stfu because is a new game and is ok to make it really now, not a straight port.

Berzee
03-05-2012, 02:04 PM
GF: Indeed.
GF: Not a GF for Me
GF: indeed.

edit: I accidentally wrote a sad story ;_;

westyfield
03-05-2012, 02:31 PM
GF: Indeed.
GF: Not a GF for Me
GF: indeed.

edit: I accidentally wrote a sad story ;_;

Oh gosh, let this meme never die.

ShowMeTheMonkey
03-05-2012, 03:03 PM
I had my girl friend try and explain how ME3s ending was actually really complex and difficult to understand.

She has never played a single Mass Effect title.

Heliocentric
03-05-2012, 03:08 PM
I had my girl friend try and explain how ME3s ending was actually really complex and difficult to understand.

She has never played a single Mass Effect title.

True story follows:
My Girlfriend hates the mass effect 3 ending, as soon as she had her 3 choices from deus ex machina she quit out and gave up playing.

In other words, she hates the end even though she never finished it.

Vexing Vision
03-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Wife: Come join me play Diablo 3. This is too easy. I hear difficulty goes up with more players.
Me: *grumbles, joins* ...
Wife: Oh. This is still too easy. Let's go back to DDO, at least there we can select the difficulty level.
Me: Indeed.

It may not be very funny to you, but it certainly makes me very happy.

Squiz
03-05-2012, 05:18 PM
GF: Maybe I should pretend to be a spambot as an excuse for why this isn't funny.This might not be such a good idea. Others have tried similar things, with sometimes drastic results (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?4813-watch-This-Forum-Get-filled-With-Irritating-Spambots-stream-online-live-streaming).

duff
03-05-2012, 05:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjxY9rZwNGU

QuantaCat
03-05-2012, 05:32 PM
This might not be such a good idea. Others have tried similar things, with sometimes drastic results (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?4813-watch-This-Forum-Get-filled-With-Irritating-Spambots-stream-online-live-streaming).

Actually, the real annoyance was somewhere else. that was just a poorly made point.

Juan Carlo
03-05-2012, 08:59 PM
GF: ...

db1331
03-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I was playing Portal 2 one day when my wife asked if there was an option to turn off the talking robot woman, because she would "Get really annoying after awhile." I was so fucking disappointed in her, I didn't even know how to respond.

Krathor
03-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Me: Oh hey GF are you coming out tonight?
GF:

http://youtu.be/o2CWw9N41b8

trjp
04-05-2012, 01:58 AM
I was going to start a new thread but this one will do.

Earlier today, my dog told me that she considers World of Warcraft to be an amazing world but ultimately something which does more harm than good to your lifestyle as-a-whole.

She then fell asleep on my feet - she's telling me something here!!

Anthile
04-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I was going to start a new thread but this one will do.

Earlier today, my dog told me that she considers World of Warcraft to be an amazing world but ultimately something which does more harm than good to your lifestyle as-a-whole.

She then fell asleep on my feet - she's telling me something here!!

What a bitch.

Berzee
04-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Me: Oh hey GF are you coming out tonight?

This made me laugh MORE than I hoped for. It's not every day your girlfriend is a lightning bird.

sabrage
04-05-2012, 04:31 PM
This might not be such a good idea. Others have tried similar things, with sometimes drastic results (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?4813-watch-This-Forum-Get-filled-With-Irritating-Spambots-stream-online-live-streaming).
Wait, that got R-F banned?

...That's so awesome I don't know what to say.

NathanH
04-05-2012, 05:32 PM

It wasn't that thread, it was more that he was being a cock on multiple fronts.

Winged Nazgul
04-05-2012, 07:09 PM
I was playing Portal 2 one day when my wife asked if there was an option to turn off the talking robot woman, because she would "Get really annoying after awhile." I was so fucking disappointed in her, I didn't even know how to respond.

If ever a situation called for ellipses IRL that would be it.

westyfield
05-05-2012, 03:30 AM

Only for a week or two, as far as I know.

sabrage
05-05-2012, 04:22 AM
Damn, I thought he was crushed by a wall of irony. If he was legitimately making an ass of himself, that's not quite so awesome.

zookeeper
05-05-2012, 04:34 AM

If that was grounds for banning, then there'd a lot fewer posters here.