PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Generations likely coming to PC

The JG Man
19-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Edit: As of 11th October, Sonic Generations is officially coming to the PC. I've tidied up this post to reflect that so new readers actually have a good idea of what is going on.

Potential system requirements:

Minimum Requirements
Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 (2x2.0GHz) or AMD equivalent 2GB RAM (Windows 7/XP)/3GB RAM (Windows Vista) NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 2900 11 GB free hard drive space

Recommended Requirements
Microsoft Windows 7 Intel Core i5 @ 2.66 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0 GHz 3GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 / ATI Radeon HD 5850 11 GB free hard drive space

Confirmed details, as declared by Sega themselves (http://blogs.sega.com/2011/10/11/sonic-generations-confirmed-for-pc-digital-download/):
-Steamworks and Steam Cloud.
-'Full stereoscopic 3D'
-Resolutions up to 1080p (I wonder how long it'll take before the community breaks that one)
-Achievements
-Online leaderboards
(-Controller support - Not officially confirmed, but button prompts on PC press release shots)

Digital release date:
US - Nov 1st.
Europe - Nov 4th.

Europe will be getting a boxed copy. Release date TBC, but sometime in November. (Wearing my speculation hat, the 3DS version is due out on the 24th, which would seem like a reasonable time to also distribute the PC version)

Pre-orders are currently available at greemangaming (http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/adventure/sonic-generations/) (£16.95) and Direct2Drive (http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/2/11588/product/Buy-Sonic-Generations-Download) (£19.95). There will also be pre-order available on Steam with certain incentives (http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/t0ms0nic/sonicgenerationssteam.jpg), but it is yet not up.

Original post:

I don't know who cares about this, but as someone who still has a fondness for the blue blur, I'm hoping there might be some others out there who also share the love.

So Generations is the 20th anniversary title for Sonic. Primarily for 360/PS3, some material was found that looked like it was coming to 3DS and PC too. The 3DS version was later confirmed, but nothing heard of the PC version. Following a thread on NeoGAF, I found this post (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28696446&postcount=4228). It's a registry for the beta on Steam.

There's been no word of any beta for any platform, but the actual anniversary isn't too far away, so it's not entirely unlikely that they'll announce something then. Either way, the potential is fantastic. Other than the game looking amazing, which it does already, supposing the game is moddable in any feasible way, it might be possible to have a true HD remake of the older Sonics...and I guess the newer, crapper, ones if people actually want those. (I take exception to Sonic Colours on the Wii, released last year, which was actually pretty good)

So yeah. Here are some videos released so far. Worth noting that the game plans to convert stages so both 2 and 3D can be used. For older levels, that means them imagined in 3D, for the 'younger' levels, 3D levels are imagined in 2D. The music changes aswell - Classic levels are made 16-bit sounding and vice-verca.

Green Hill Zone in both 'Classic' 2D and 'Modern' 3/2.5D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuj-6T_ymqg

City Escape (from Sonic Adventure 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc2RMHir8nU&feature=related

City Escape 'Classic'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdUGCIxwkRc

mashakos
19-06-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm waiting for Sonic Fan Remix to come to PC myself.

Creeping Death
19-06-2011, 09:19 PM
You mean the way the episodes were supposed to come to PC? -.-

I'm not holding my breath

Flint
19-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm a big fan of Sonic and I'm a primarily a PC gamer but I still have no desire to actually play Sonic on the PC. Wouldn't just feel right in an irrational way for me.

In general Generations chattery, I am excited.

The JG Man
20-06-2011, 12:07 AM
So long as it has controller support, I'd rather play it on my PC than on my 360. I actually bought Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles via Steam (yes, I know, I'm sad) and I was fine with it, especially with a controller. Generation is looking pretty fantastic though.

As for episodes, Creeping Death, which I'm guessing you're referring to Sonic 4? Firstly, I have no idea about that on the PC front. Secondly, you're really, really, better off not playing it and not having it crap on your memory of classic, actually good, Sonic. Playing the demo alone was so depressing. I gave it a chance, but it just wasn't there.

In regards to other playable PC Sonic's, the Sonic Fan Remix demo (http://sonicfanremix.com/) can be downloaded on the clicky. There's also Sonic 2 HD, whenever that's due. Whilst I really like these projects, we have no real clue when they're out. SFR shows a lot of potential, but either Sonic Team took some inspiration on what the community was doing, or they just happened to be going in that direction anyhow and the results are pretty similar.

mashakos
20-06-2011, 12:27 AM
In regards to other playable PC Sonic's, the Sonic Fan Remix demo (http://sonicfanremix.com/) can be downloaded on the clicky.
I'm waiting for the whole thing with all Sonic 2,3,CD,Knuckles levels. I'm greedy like that.

The JG Man
20-06-2011, 12:34 AM
I don't blame you.

The JG Man
25-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Whilst certainly less proofy than the Steam registry, Game.co.uk seem to have a listing for £18 (http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games-and-Downloads/Party-Mini-Games/Sonic-Generations/~r355408/?s=sonic+generations). The price goes in line with the RRP in the US for the console versions being $50, so it stands to reason that the console version over here will be sub £40 (£35?) and that the standard £25-30 for PC will be lower still.

In related note, the demo is available on the PS3 and 360 (although the 360 appears to play better due to some issues on the PS3) for a limited amount of time, ~19 days as of this post.

Worth considering that unless the product is removed, you will pay that price unless it goes lower. That is to say, if it IS coming out for PC and they raise the price, pre-ordering now will mean you won't have to pay any more. It says this in the payment/checkout section, so if you're interested no harm in laying it down, especially considering money isn't taken until just before release.

The JG Man
08-10-2011, 01:42 PM
*Wipes dust* (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31630251&postcount=8613)

D2D also has a version up for pre-order but only for access to countries that appear to fit in with GFWL. I don't want it to, but this is one of the few exceptions I'd make for GFWL.

This also follows a blog update by Sega whereby they said the game was coming out which platforms, including the PC and then promptly removed the PC tag. Presumably it'll be coming out slightly later than the console releases, but I'm cool with that.

I know, I know. It's Sonic. But I find it fun. And so does my inner 5 year old...and outer 21 year old self.

Rauten
08-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Oh dear god. I had no idea.
I freaking grew with SEGA, and I cherish my DreamCast like it's made of gold and dreams AND ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE WILL DIE BY MY HANDS.
If this comes to PC, day 1 for me, GFWL or not.

Thanks for the heads up.

Creeping Death
08-10-2011, 10:07 PM
£17.95. Yep, that'll be a day one purchase for me then. I can put up with GFWL for a bit of Sonic.

Seen a few videos here and there of the remade classic levels, and it all looks really good to me so far

Flint
08-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Steam dataminers have uncovered some possible preorder compilation bonuses. (http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/t0ms0nic/sonicgenerationssteam.jpg)

Each trailer they bring out just makes me more and more excited over this game. And the soundtrack, which sounds like it's going to be marvellous. Really love the new Modern era trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCxNzcoD4Cs). I might end up getting it on console-box though, really not sure how well the controls would be ported on PC.

Oh man I want this so much.

The JG Man
08-10-2011, 11:03 PM
I cannot, at all, imagine it not having controller support. That would be mind bending. Even so, there can hardly be many buttons. Arrows for movement (or WASD), space to jump and again to homing attack/spin dash when holding down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjDJd6Ay5jw

I'm just amazed at what they've done with a level that's really just a boss rush. And that music.

Just, this game is going to look amazing on a PC. And, think of the mods.

Flint
08-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Oh yeah, it's 100% going to have controller support, but I'm just not fond of using a pad on the PC (not because of any MUST KEEP PC GAMING CLEAN inanities, I just find it uncomfortable to use). Have to see though. Might just get a console copy now and get the PC version a year or two down the line when it gets cheap in sales.

metalangel
08-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Very tempted by Generations. I still have my huge collection (only missing Sonic Spinball and Knuckles Chaotix, neither of which I liked) on Genesis and Sega CD.

Rauten
09-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Welp, this I didn't expect. Not today, at least
Sonic Generations preorder at D2D (http://www.direct2drive.com/2/11587/product/Buy-Sonic-Generations-Download)

Personally I'll wait for it to show up on Steam, still, nice to see D2D already listing it.

P.S. For fun and kicks: notice all those "stereoscopic 3D" details, and the street pass? seems they were too lazy to write their own resume about the game, so they copy-pasted the 3DS version's details.

icupnimpn2
09-10-2011, 02:41 AM
P.S. For fun and kicks: notice all those "stereoscopic 3D" details, and the street pass? seems they were too lazy to write their own resume about the game, so they copy-pasted the 3DS version's details.

If I buy this on D2D and there aren't stereoscopic 3D effects, will D2D refund some of my moneys?

Rauten
09-10-2011, 03:12 AM
If I buy this on D2D and there aren't stereoscopic 3D effects, will D2D refund some of my moneys?

That would be hilarious beyond measure.

The JG Man
09-10-2011, 03:28 AM
Oh yeah, it's 100% going to have controller support, but I'm just not fond of using a pad on the PC

The brilliant part is we've already have this conversation in this very thread previously! I guess I really was wiping the dust off this thread!

The link above for the pre-order at GAME no longer works, but at the time I did put down a pre-order. I got an e-mail a bit later saying the date had been changed, but only to November 4th, the release date for the other platforms. Anyhow, I went to Amazon.uk to see if I could find it. The English version was not there, but there was an option to import it from Germany. Interestingly, or not, the main image (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonic-Generations-PC-Import-germany/dp/B005CFY0BI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1318127158&sr=8-6) shows the age rating and something about 3D. It's very possible that it's simply a cut from one of the other cover arts, or, it really will have 3D.

EDIT:

Heh. Also this (http://www.amazon.fr/Sega-Sonic-Generations/dp/B005AT9UL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318103760&sr=8-1).

...CURSE YOU GFWL!

Rauten
09-10-2011, 04:20 AM
Oh, well, I can bear with GFWL; I dislike it, but I can bear with it. Specially for what seems to be a GOOD Sonic game.
What I fear the most, is if it'll be a good SEGA port. I still have nightmares thinking about the horrible Sega&Sonic All Stars Racing port *shivers*.

acidtestportfolio
09-10-2011, 04:57 AM
oh cool i can't wait for the dregs of the sonic franchise to finally hit the pc

now we with the beige boxes will finally get to see what happens when a company fucks a franchise into a pile of turds

sabrage
09-10-2011, 06:40 AM
oh cool i can't wait for the dregs of the sonic franchise to finally hit the pc

now we with the beige boxes will finally get to see what happens when a company fucks a franchise into a pile of turds

Well aren't you a pleasant little boy

Fiyenyaa
09-10-2011, 09:58 AM
I tried to play the demo at the Eurogamer Expo - I don't understand sonic games at all. It's so fast, it all goes over my poor little head.

Rauten
09-10-2011, 12:22 PM
I tried to play the demo at the Eurogamer Expo - I don't understand sonic games at all. It's so fast, it all goes over my poor little head.

That sounds absolutely delightful. To me, at least.

metalangel
09-10-2011, 12:50 PM
There was a time-limited demo on 360 a few months ago.

It played so much better than Sonic 4 I could barely believe it.

Modern Sonic isn't that great but the retro stuff was excellent.

Flint
09-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Modern Sonic is the one I'm waiting for the most, although based on the time-limited demo a while back Classic Sonic should be good fun too.

The JG Man
09-10-2011, 02:29 PM

Partially accurate. Of the last 2 main Sonic games released, Unleashed and Colours, reviews have been better. Half of Unleashed was said to be of good quality (ie. the Sonic parts). Colours took that and polished it and was a refreshingly good Sonic game. So, they are getting better. Slowly, but they are. Generations, on the other hand, looks like it'll actually be genuinely fantastic. Probably because some love and care has seemingly gone into it. Even Sonic 4 reviewed well if you want to get objective on review scales. Of course it did just prove to break the base further.

It played so much better than Sonic 4 I could barely believe it.

I don't actually know how they can carry on Sonic 4 Episode 2 following on from what they used in 1 after Generations. It seems completely bizarre they'd contemplate doing it.

Modern Sonic is the one I'm waiting for the most, although based on the time-limited demo a while back Classic Sonic should be good fun too.

Based on Colours, it should be good. The 3D sections are used well to demonstrate speed and decent for some quick-time events, whilst the 2D sections, whilst not as platform heavy as the traditional 'Classic Sonic', were still pretty good. Really, a good mix. I'm more excited for Modern myself, but I have a feeling I'll enjoy Classic more.

Fiyenyaa
09-10-2011, 04:49 PM
That sounds absolutely delightful. To me, at least.

I think it's too twitch-based for a primarily strategy/RPG gamer like me. Which would explain why I'm terrible at every platformer ever.

Xercies
09-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I quite liked Sonic 4, never really realised why people were hating on it to be honest, though I think now a days people hate on Sonic just because. I liked both Sonic Adventures very well, I even liked parts of Shadow The Hedgehog, Sonic Unleashed, and even Sonic The Hedgehog had some decent parts in it though bugs made that game far worse.

acidtestportfolio
10-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Partially accurate. Of the last 2 main Sonic games released, Unleashed and Colours, reviews have been better. Half of Unleashed was said to be of good quality (ie. the Sonic parts). Colours took that and polished it and was a refreshingly good Sonic game. So, they are getting better. Slowly, but they are. Generations, on the other hand, looks like it'll actually be genuinely fantastic. Probably because some love and care has seemingly gone into it. Even Sonic 4 reviewed well if you want to get objective on review scales. Of course it did just prove to break the base further.

i don't need to eat shit to determine that something has been fucked into a pile of turds

sabrage
10-10-2011, 04:42 AM
i don't need to eat shit to determine that something has been fucked into a pile of turds

Lord Turdshit's School of the Professional Debatery.

Wulf
10-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Well... definitely looking forward to this one. It'd be a nice to see a return to form at Sega.

Next up: Ecco, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, and Shining Force. Eh Sega?

Xercies
10-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Please Shenmue...please

Flint
10-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Unfortunately the only new Shenmue game that's coming out is a free-to-play "social games service" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenmue_City).

The JG Man
10-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Now available to pre-order on greenman gaming ("http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/adventure/sonic-generations/), complete with system requirements. Note, the PC version has not been officially announced and this has been the first mention I'm aware of of requirements, so pinch of salt. That being said, they appear to be fairly reasonable, so it's likely they'll be around this anyhow.

Minimum Requirements
Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 (2x2.0GHz) or AMD equivalent 2GB RAM (Windows 7/XP)/3GB RAM (Windows Vista) NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 2900 11 GB free hard drive space

Recommended Requirements
Microsoft Windows 7 Intel Core i5 @ 2.66 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0 GHz 3GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 / ATI Radeon HD 5850 11 GB free hard drive space

It's no BF3.

Other notable parts include mention of stereoscopic 3D, as mentioned elsewhere (which could make some of the 3DS copies understandable, unless this is also wrong) and that the release date is still Nov. 4th.

The JG Man
11-10-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm not up-to-date with some things. Those system requirements do seem to be a bit high. Whatever, this press release has just started floating around.

SONIC GENERATIONS CONFIRMED FOR PC DIGITAL DOWNLOAD

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO – 8thOctober, 2011 – SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA®of America, Inc. are delighted toconfirm thatSonic Generations™will be released on PC and available via SEGA’s partners for PC digital downloadin November this year.Sonic Generations™is the ultimate celebration of 20 years of Sonic the Hedgehog and sees SEGA’s iconic mascot racing through a brand new adventure as both the much loved classic 1991 character, and the modern day video game hero he has become today.

Sonic Generations™for PC digital includes Steamworks features such as Steam Cloud, which allows save files to be stored on Steam’s servers so you can resume your game progress from any PC. As with the other console platforms,Sonic Generations™will be available to play in full stereoscopic 3D and will contain Achievements and online leaderboards.

Sonic Generations™ will be available via PC digital download as well as Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment systemon 4th November 2011.

For more information please visitwww.sonicthehedgehog.com/generations

Particular emphasis on digital download. I'd rather have the game on disc, especially it being an anniversary title which would be rather nice to 'own', but there you go. Might make the pre-order bonuses for Steam worthwhile, depending on its release price. In such an event, it would explain why you can no longer find the game on Game.co.uk, although my pre-order still hasn't been cancelled...

Edit: The stereoscopic 3D would go some way to explaining the high system requirements. I imagine that without them, they'll be slightly more 'reasonable'.

Edit 2: Something I've just picked up on with the Steam registries. There is strong evidence that the console version will include Sonic 1 as an emulation. On the registry, it seems that regardless of when you buy Generations, you get Sonic 1, suggesting they'll be using the Mega Drive Classics thing to emulate it. This could suggest a variety of content that will or won't be included in the PC version, of course we're getting into purely speculative thinking.

Still, a shame there may be no physical release, but there you go.

Rauten
11-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Sonic Generations™for PC digital includes Steamworks

YES.
YES.
And baby Jesus looked down from the heavens and saw that everything was as it was meant to be.

The stereoscopic 3D would go some way to explaining the high system requirements. I imagine that without them, they'll be slightly more 'reasonable'.

I wouldn't put much faith on it; I sincerely doubt SEGA gives more than half a damn about making the game run reasonably well on PCs; if S&S All Stars Racing serves as indication.

The JG Man
11-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Perhaps. I read up over the last day about that. Absolutely shocking they completely removed multiplayer! That being said, with any luck this port will be done by Sonic Team. Of course, that isn't saying much in itself. Regardless, hopefully it'll be done well. If not, well, modders may have their fun...

EDIT: So it doesn't look like I'm a post whore, NeoGAF (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31720746&postcount=103) and Sonic Retro (http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=24971&view=findpost&p=626765) have some PC press release pictures (alledgedly). Not sure where they're actually from, but there you go.

It certainly looks better, but it could do with some AA. Naturally, controller support is in there (although that was pretty much a given). Curiously, I wonder what action is triggered with the Y button...

But yeah. Good lord, how nice it is to be bombarded with colourful pictures from a game. As in, more than brown and grey. This game seems to revel in it.

Rauten
11-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Your links are all screwed over in the wrong places (read: they don't work).

The JG Man
11-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Someone when posting may have left out a couple of "s.

It was me.

AJH
11-10-2011, 04:43 PM
I love me some old-school Sonic, but while I appreciate that they've moved in the right direction what none of the modern Sonic games have got - at all - is Sonic's physics. Just copy the way megadrive Sonic moved and I'll be happy, but they don't get it.

In essence, Sonic of ye olde days had very fast acceleration as well as a fast top speed. Modern Sonic (especially Sonic 4) don't get that - they up the top speed but completely nerf the acceleration, which means Sonic moves like an oil tanker when not up to speed. The jump physics are all over the place too. Sadly from the trailers it looks like Generations keeps the same problems...

Chizu
11-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Having played both 4 and the demo they put out on the consoles a while back, Retro sonics movement, whilst still not really spot on for the old games, is far far better than it was in Sonic 4.

I'm pretty excited for this, I really enjoyed Sonic Colours, so I am really glad to see this is coming to steam with steam achievements and all that stuff. The prospect of playing this at 1080p makes it far preferable to having bought the console version (which is what I woulda originally done)

The JG Man
11-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Sadly from the trailers it looks like Generations keeps the same problems...

Based on a few different previews recently, it seems like things such as bounce height have changed for the better. Little bit alarmed at the lack of rolling done in any of these previews, as if to suggest none of the previewers had played the old games, but that remains to be seen I'm sure. Still not there yet, but close.

AJH
11-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Weirdly the one game that recently came out that 'got' Sonic's physics better than anything since S&K is Smash Bros Brawl on the Wii. I never thought I'd say this but I'd love to see a Nintendo take on modern Sonic far more than anything Sonic Team have suggested they're capable of.

The JG Man
11-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Okay, ultra extra special official confirmation (http://blogs.sega.com/2011/10/11/sonic-generations-confirmed-for-pc-digital-download/) from the beast itself, Sega. It explains some of the discrepancies in information.

Below is officially confirmed details:
-Steamworks and Steam Cloud.
-'Full stereoscopic 3D'
-Resolutions up to 1080p (I wonder how long it'll take before the community breaks that one)
-Achievements
-Online leaderboards

And here's the interesting part. It'll be available for digital download on November 1st in the US and on the 4th for Europe, however (!), a boxed version will be coming to Europe later on. Presumably (read: I hope) that'll come with Steamworks stuffs. This could explain possible PC release date confusions, with some speculating the 24th, which is the release date for the 3DS version. Presumably they'll do the PC release then.

So that's that!

EDIT: I've updated the original post with up-to-date details for new readers. I'll also embed a few recent video clips.

icupnimpn2
12-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Green Man Gaming has it on sale right now for $25.45 in the US. Their 20% off coupon AUTUM-NSALE-20PEC works until October 17th and reduces the price to just over $20. It's a Steamworks game so you'll not be tied to GMG.

Pretty tempting, really.

Anthile
12-10-2011, 08:46 AM
I'm seriously afraid this is going to end up at 25€+.

The JG Man
12-10-2011, 09:38 PM
After going in-store to a GAME earlier, they didn't have Sonic Generations on PC available to pre-order. That being said, the guy either feigned ignorance amazingly well, or he seemed to be aware of its existence at the very least.

Of course, you could always pre-order it on their website (http://www.game.co.uk/en/sonic-generations-136787?pageSize=20&searchTerm=sonic%20generations%20pc) because the listing is back up. Sans cover art. Still available at £18. Bare in mind the date, 4th Nov, will likely be wrong as as far as we know the boxed release comes out later than the digital release (which is the 4th). Either way, it is a tangible thing that very much exists.

It is the first e-tailer in the country to seem to have it available; HMV and Play came up blank whilst Amazon still lists the German import.

Rauten
13-10-2011, 01:19 AM
I distrust GAME with a passion. I'm serious. It gave me a second grudge to have with you brits.
We used to have this really cool nationwide chain called "Centro Mail" which was truly awesome, and then you had to come, buy it and defile it.
Now it's no longer about Gibraltar, now it's Gibraltar and GAME. And I'm more pissed off about the latter. /rant

I'm gonna wait till there's some sort of announcement of how/what the PC box will be like. If it's halfway decent, I'll go with boxed. If it's craptastic, Steam will be my poison of choice.
Also, I'll be very very angry if "Live and Learn" is not featured at some point in the game.

The JG Man
13-10-2011, 03:42 AM
I know, GAME are useless. But, they have it up and it's £18. I won't argue with that. Besides, it being the 20th anniversary, I want something to show for that. I will wait for the boxed copy. As crazy as I am. It'll probably be just the game in a box. I'm not even banking on there being a manual. I hope there is though and hopefully a poster. That would do me happy.

Also, you may be in luck there Rauten. You'll have to wait till the end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1VQH_QOODc

acidtestportfolio
13-10-2011, 05:32 AM
oh cool sonic is on a fucking skateboard

this is really changing my opinion about the game

i want a hundred now

Rauten
13-10-2011, 02:59 PM
I have to agree the "skateboard" part was much cooler 10 years ago, when it was a piece of metal he'd tear off the helicopter that was taking him to prison.
Doesn't change the fact that City Escape was a freaking great level, skateboarding and everything; if what he does can even be called skateboarding...

Also, I hate Shadow with all my heart, but I´d recognize the looks of the grinding rails of the Ark station anywhere. GIVE ME NOW.
Though I'd like to know why they consider Sonic Heroes to be part of the DC era...
(Btw, is it too obvious that I absolutely adore SA2?)

Flint
13-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Though I'd like to know why they consider Sonic Heroes to be part of the DC era...
I think it's just a case of Heroes being more closely connected to SA/SA2 (all from that console generation, Heroes contains characters from both SAs, etc) than the games afterwards, so they've simply awkwardly lumped them all together under the Dreamcast moniker.

And yeah, the "skateboard" bit is an iconic element of City Escape, of course it was going to return in the new City Escape.

(SA2 is my favourite Sonic game as well!)

The JG Man
13-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Never played SA2 and never fully completed SA. I found SA rather 'janky'. For me, the best Sonic is held on the 2D plain.

Regardless, minor update. Both Amazon and Play.com have added the boxed copies to their stocks. HMV have nothing. If you know of any other major etailer, please do add it. As it stands, and obviously prices are subject to change:
Play.com = £15. (http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/24903836/Sonic-Generations/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=sonic+generations&urlrefer=search)
Game.co.uk = £18. (http://www.game.co.uk/en/sonic-generations-136787?pageSize=20&searchTerm=sonic%20generations%20pc)
Amazon.uk = £18.66. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sega-Sonic-Generations-PC-DVD/dp/B005V9Y2AE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1318532984&sr=8-8)

Do note that the Amazon price is paritcularly subject to change depending on that weird order = value thing they have and that all 3 websites have the release date as Nov. 4th which we know to be incorrect.

Flint
14-10-2011, 03:42 PM
New Bosses & Rivals trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayErKdkLrFk

Rauten
14-10-2011, 03:51 PM
What the hell was that at the end...
Damn, November can't come soon enough.

Flint
14-10-2011, 04:00 PM
What the hell was that at the end...
Vaguely/minorly spoilery but it's the thing that causes the timeline craziness to happen in the first place.

The JG Man
14-10-2011, 04:13 PM
In fact, it's actually called the Time Eater.

I...well the cinematics look cool. The Egg Dragoon looks ridiculous and crazy and therefore good, not to mention it's actually against Robotnik. I always felt the weaker boss battles in the games were whenever you didn't fight him and that seems to be a common thing in many 3D Sonics. Indeed, Colours actually completely averted that as all the bosses were Robotnik.

It looks good, but it hasn't done much to change my interest.

Flint
14-10-2011, 04:18 PM
What I'm mainly hoping from the boss fights is that they finally make the Perfect Chaos battle as epic as it should've always been. It's one of my main niggles in the series' entire history: the stage is set with Super Sonic about to face the humongous creature that's flooded an entire city, Open Your Heart stars riffing up in the background to get your adrenaline pumping and... the battle is a short and quick run through a pipe dodging the occasional object. And then halfway through they replace Open Your Heart with a generic, boring orchestral tune. It's incredibly anticlimactic. Here's hoping the SonGen version will finally feel like the grand battle it should've been.

Plus we get to have two Tails running around as well which is incredibly adorable.

Flint
19-10-2011, 05:50 PM
A new demo's out for PS360, containing classic and modern versions of GHZ. It's really, really good fun. The sheer size of the levels is insane, there's loads and loads of paths you can take. Modern Sonic especially is fantastic fun, a rollercoaster of joy.

Want. If just GHZ is this fun (a level I've burned out on ages ago), I'm really excited for the other, more interesting levels.

Only complaint: they've brought back Omochao. WHY.

The JG Man
19-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Omochao can be turned off in the full game, from reading around. Can't be bothered to set-up my 360 AND buy gold time...I suppose I could ask my housemate to download it and try it, but at this point I'm happy to wait.

For those interested in the game, be aware there's been a LOT of hacking from this demo. You may want to avoid unofficial media as it could potentially be very spoilery.

EDIT(2): Now available to pre-order on Steam. £20 and apparently a 'Strategy'/'Casual' genre game! Looks like you can get 3D Blast and Sonic 3 & Knuckles to play immediately after pre-ordering purchase. If you already have them, you can gift them. Port isn't being done by Sonic Team, but hey. Seems to confirm the system requirements listed elsewhere too.

Anthile
19-10-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm seriously afraid this is going to end up at 25€+.

Looks like I was right. They want 30€. Christ. I'm gonna skip that one for now, I guess - unless I find a good deal elsewhere.

The JG Man
19-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Wait till the Steam/Digital Distribution Winter sale that'll inevitably happen? Not to mention I'm sure it'll drop in price fairly quick anyhow...

(I just checked the German Amazon and it's 28...actually don't know how to do the Euro squiggle. That's unfortunate.)

Flint
19-10-2011, 09:15 PM
The porting studio's development history (http://www.devilsdetails.biz/Projects.html) isn't filling me with the greatest of confidence.

I think I'm going to grab the PS3 version for now and acquire a PC copy in a year or two or so in a sale if I really fall in love with the game.

Rauten
20-10-2011, 06:26 PM
So, they've handed the porting over to some guys that have only ever done shovelware, and none of that shovelware was for PC?

They've handed PC porting to guys who have never worked on PC?!

And still, I feel they'll do a better job than Sonic Team would've done.

Smashbox
20-10-2011, 08:06 PM
This will be the one! I can feel it!

@_@

Drake Sigar
20-10-2011, 08:22 PM
This will be the one! I can feel it!

@_@
Yes *hand on shoulder* we just have to believe hard enough.

The JG Man
20-10-2011, 08:30 PM
To be fair, reception of the recent demo has been positive in the vast majority and Sega actually seem to be putting in effort here. They might be onto a winner, truly.

Flint
20-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Considering the main line of the series (ie excluding spin offs and the smaller profile games) hasn't ever faltered with the exception of Sonic 06, I'm rather confident this'll be great as always.

BenWah
24-10-2011, 06:39 PM
I didn't remember much about Sonic, but I found this video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ccd_1319472955

The JG Man
24-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Knew it immediately was a Dorky. Good stuff.

icupnimpn2
24-10-2011, 09:01 PM
So, they've handed the porting over to some guys that have only ever done shovelware, and none of that shovelware was for PC?

They've handed PC porting to guys who have never worked on PC?!

These guys have at least intended to put Squeeballs Party and the licensed Jelly Belly game on PC over the last couple of years. You can see that in the descriptions and announcements on gaming sites. They've just failed to actually do it. How does that affect your level of confidence?

Rauten
25-10-2011, 05:23 PM
These guys have at least intended to put Squeeballs Party and the licensed Jelly Belly game on PC over the last couple of years. You can see that in the descriptions and announcements on gaming sites. They've just failed to actually do it. How does that affect your level of confidence?

Not in a pretty way... if they have failed to port a shoddy crappy shovelware title, how can they be expected to port a triple A game?

Chizu
26-10-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't know about any other titles, but I know they did the PC port of Virtua Tennis 4. If that helps.
(its not listed on their site for whatever reason, but they come up in the credits as being responsible for the PC porting.

Rauten
26-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Just checked the steam forums for Virtua Tennis, looks like a mixed bag; Some say it constantly corrupts save data, others say they never had an issue; Some say it hates W7 64bit (what I have), others haven't had a problem with W7 64bit.

Guess we'll have to wait and see, the release is almost upon us anyway.

The JG Man
28-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Just a friendly warning, but early copies are coming out and part of due course, spoilers are coming out.

That being said, there are also music rips. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToHKMC8uZZw

Edit: I find it odd how excited I'm getting about a Sonic game. I'm sure after Colo(u)rs there isn't as much pause for concern than before, and with the love and attention they've put in, it's hitting so many right notes, in more ways than one.

Edit 2: Amazon.uk has price-matched Play for the PC version - both are £15 a pop.