PDA

View Full Version : Best sniper experience

Cooper
20-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Whenever a game has a sniper rifle, it egnerally stays in my inventory right from the moment I get it.

But most games don't get it right, and I'm looking for suggestions for games with the best sniper experience (not necessarily entirely focused on sniping though)

FarCry has, in my opinion, one of the best sniper experiences. All down to the AI response. You'd be lucky to get a handful of hits before you were flanked, they'd take cover immediately (sometimes hillariously on the wrong side of the cover...), even blind-fire in the direction of the sound, and pretty effectively flank you through forest-cover. (FarCry 2 is also pretty good, but not as good)

Crysis failed at this. Almost all targets were always inside shacks, or behind 8 foot high fences. And the camo made it too easy when this was not the case.

Sniper: Elite is not the game for me. Almost from the start it's more effective to be carrying and using anything but the bloody rfifle. Oh, and the checkpoint and limited save system is a pain in the arse.

Any opinions on Ghost Warrior? Or is it worth getting somehting like ARMAS II or something like that?

mrpier
20-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Bad Company 2 worked reasonably well with the sniping, but I think Far Cry still has it beat.

KauhuK
20-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl or Stalker Call of Pripyat. Either one with Complete mod. The real sniper rifles in both games are somewhat rare but you can use other rifles for sniping too.

Creeping Death
20-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Bad Company 2 worked reasonably well with the sniping, but I think Far Cry still has it beat.

As much as I love BC2, the sniping is nothing more than lining up the dot with someone's head. No wind to take into consideration and very, very little in the way of bullet drop. Very easy.

Besides, the last thing that game needs is more snipers.

DarkNoghri
20-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Jedi Knight 2. The sniping wasn't anything special, but man, I loved that disruptor rifle. Charge fully, hit someone, and they vaporize.

Woohoo!

Basilicus
20-06-2011, 03:21 PM
For fantastical sniping experiences that have very little basis in reality, the original Unreal Tournament may have been THE best sniping experience I've ever had. UT2004 didn't do a bad job of it, but the maps weren't quite as conducive to getting a good roost up and dominating.

Day of Defeat has wonderful sniping - because of the assymetric nature of the maps and every roost having its strengths and weaknesses, teams need to work together to properly protect snipers and call out enemy snipers and MG nests. That's entirely up to stellar map design.

Shattered Horizon also has some great sniping, because - Oh my God! Where was he? Hundreds of meters away? Upside-down?!? On a twirling platform!?! In shadow? Floating with a deactivated suit in space?!? WHERE IS HEEEE?

For single-player, I'd have to agree: nothing really compares to Far Cry and Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2's generally open savannahs made sniping a little easier than Far Cry's dense jungles and meant you got in more sniping duels than constantly shifting positioning battles...but then Far Cry ruined everything with supermutants, so...six and one-half dozen.

Certain games, like Borderlands, should have competed, but the A.I. wasn't up to the task, which made sniping far less exciting and dangerous than it should've been.

Cooper
20-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl or Stalker Call of Pripyat. Either one with Complete mod. The real sniper rifles in both games are somewhat rare but you can use other rifles for sniping too.I love the Stalker games, and generally use the Dragunov the moment I get my hands on it.

Problem is, the AI is crap at dealing with a sniper. They just run around like idiots.

Or, on the complete mod, fire back at 800 metres away with an AK on auto and get super-perfect shots...

EndelNurk
20-06-2011, 03:25 PM
It sounds like signing up as a sniper with the Arma 2 folks might be your best bet.

StrangLove
20-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Airsoft >.>

But seriously, occasionally the lads on the ARMA server will let you play with a rifle, and then it's jolly good fun and very real-feeling, if you're at a range over 500 meters.

GraveyardJimmy
20-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Red Orchestra/ Darkest hour is great for sniping.

The sniper is useful for taking out MGs, anti-sniper operations, clearing chokepoints etc. A bad sniper can lose a map, its that important.

mashakos
20-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Metal Gear Solid! It introduced the jitter mechanic: The longer you keep scoping at a target the more erratic your grip gets. To relax, you need to collect and use the Daizepam powerup. This powerup is especially awesome because it exists in real life too!

MGS is alittle too old school, so I would recommend MGS2.

Rakysh
20-06-2011, 04:28 PM
TF2. G'day mate.

BenWah
20-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Anyone remember the old original operation flashpoint, that had a fantastic sniping experience.

Anthile
20-06-2011, 05:16 PM
ArmA 2, really.

wcaypahwat
20-06-2011, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=mashakos;8115 To relax, you need to collect and use the Daizepam powerup. This powerup is especially awesome because it exists in real life too!

[/QUOTE]

I probably wouldn't recommend mixing firearms with anti-depressants.

oh! JFK Reloaded?

Drake Sigar
20-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Operation Flashpoint?

westyfield
20-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Project Reality mod for BF2.
I was covering my squad's assault on an oil refinery from atop an oil tower a few hundred metres away. From that height I could see over the fence into the refinery, and inform my squad mates of where the defenders were. My job was basically to sit still, watch what's going on and try to avoid being detected - I wasn't to fire unless it was necessary or a guaranteed kill.
The first fireteam went along one fence, round a corner and through the gate, just before a pair of enemies rounded the same corner. I yelled a warning, my friends turned around, found cover and took out the enemies. More came to investigate and I noticed the enemy squad leader (recognisable by his uniform and equipment) standing next to the enemy medic (ditto) ready to ambush our second fireteam. I put one round through both of them, our squad rushed the base and cleared out the remaining defenders. Just in time for me to notice enemy reinforcements coming over a ridge...

I could ramble on, but I won't. PR's great, try it.

Kablooie
20-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Probably the original Crysis, for me. At least the enemy AI was smart enough to move towards my nest (and often where I couldn't snipe them).

I very much love sniping in Fallout3, too, even if the npc's are idiots. Mostly as I like seeing slomo skull explosions. Yes, I'm twisted that way.

I think the most challenging sniping was in TF2. It took skill to get consistent head shots, which was the point, I believe. On the other hand, sniping was so OP and ridiculous in Gears1 (you could not only snipe someone 5 feet away, but even melee them with the rifle) that I left that MP fairly early.

sabrage
20-06-2011, 09:46 PM
I know this isn't going to be popular, but I thought MW2 had some AWESOME sniping sections, especially that one spec ops mission in the snowy mountains.

Universal Hamster
20-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Its not PC, but I would say Goldeneye on the N64.
Its because of the controller really, there is no artifical hand-shaking or breath holding to be controlled by another button, when you zoom in you actually have to be steady handed to get the shot right.

Oak
20-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Day of Defeat has wonderful sniping - because of the assymetric nature of the maps and every roost having its strengths and weaknesses, teams need to work together to properly protect snipers and call out enemy snipers and MG nests. That's entirely up to stellar map design.

Agreed. Not sure if anyone's still playing, though.

Skull
20-06-2011, 11:22 PM
I know this isn't going to be popular, but I thought MW2 had some AWESOME sniping sections, especially that one spec ops mission in the snowy mountains.

I have to completely agree with this one, as much as CoD has left a sour taste over the past few installments, the MW2 Spec Op missions were absolutely fantastic and rescued a fairly crappy game. Although I would never use the sniper in the multiplayer, it was great to sit on a building with a mate on a map designed for snipers. Myself and my chum designating what areas we will be able to cover before the shit hit the fan. Very easy and thoughtless shooting did then commence with the odd orbital missile added in for good measure, it really nailed the enjoyment of sniping for someone like me who is rather crap at that sort of thing. The biggest mistake Treyarch made was replacing the Spec-Op mode with this nonsense L4D rip off.

AdamK117
20-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Heavily enjoyed the sniping in Medal of Honor Allied Assault multiplayer, but I think that was 1/3rd the sniper and 2/3rds the map and the satisfying sound a hit produced.

solipsistnation
21-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare has a FANTASTIC mid-game sniper level.

mashakos
21-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Its not PC, but I would say Goldeneye on the N64.
Its because of the controller really, there is no artifical hand-shaking or breath holding to be controlled by another button, when you zoom in you actually have to be steady handed to get the shot right.
My God, people are STILL talking about this game??

You do realise you're talking to a bunch of people who grew up playing FPS games with a mouse right? and real multiplayer I should add.

*lifts nose up at mention of GE*

Dirtyboy
21-06-2011, 06:19 AM
While not realistic I liked the Joint Ops sniping before the onslaught of anti-sniping nerfs. Pulling off a headshot with a .50 cal at max draw distance was very rewarding.

csuzw
21-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Any opinions on Ghost Warrior?

If the demo is at all representative of the full game then it's a terrible game unfortunately. Horrific AI that as soon as it's alerted to your presence hits you instantly from whatever range often when you can't even see them. Frustrating stealth mechanic where AI will randomly see you while you're in dark cover with his back to you. When I did get to a sniper bit, it was completely scripted, no choosing your own targets and the location you were given to snipe from was nearly impossible to snipe from due to ledge around it that meant you pretty much had to stand up and expose yourself to be in a position to hit whatever you were told to hit.

Ian
21-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare has a FANTASTIC mid-game sniper level.

I loved it too. "All Ghillied Up". One of my favourite game levels in recent years.

Skalpadda
21-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Crysis failed at this. Almost all targets were always inside shacks, or behind 8 foot high fences. And the camo made it too easy when this was not the case.

I quite liked it, much for the same reasons you didn't. Sneaking up to a base, finding a vantage point where you could start marking targets and picking a few of them off from a distance was good fun. You could usually lure a couple of them out of hiding places by shooting others or setting off explosions. I generally liked the gun mechanics of Crysis as well, though the actual precision rifle was horrible, SCAR with a sniper scope and silencer in strength mode was the way to go.

Tei
21-06-2011, 05:52 PM
MDK, Farcry 1, .. Bad Company,

Universal Hamster
21-06-2011, 07:09 PM

You do realise you're talking to a bunch of people who grew up playing FPS games with a mouse right? and real multiplayer I should add.

*lifts nose up at mention of GE*I grew up playing FPS games with a mouse, so yes!
The point I was making was that the limitations of the controller gave the sniping something unique. I dont think that there would be any way of replicating this with a mouse and keyboard setup.

(Not that I'd trade up or anything, back when my PC was less great, I bought L4D2 for my xbox and enjoyed it. I bought it on Steam when it was on sale there and was stunned at how much more fun the game was with the proper controller.)

Kadayi
21-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Arma 2 with realism mods. Sniping is a lot more technical, but it's also a lot more satisfying when you pull it off.

Colonel J
21-06-2011, 07:41 PM
"I like to pick 'em off from a distance. I'll take the rifle."

DigitalSignalX
22-06-2011, 04:52 PM
The experience that comes to my mind first and most strongly is actually from Fallout 3. My first play through I went long gun style and added mods to remove VATS and one that extended the effective range of guns while fixing the engine's desire to curve shots toward npc hit box sections. It added up to a superb "natural sniper" feel for my wasteland survivor and her dog.

slick_101
22-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Well it all depends on what you mean by the best experience. I too have had an awesome experience playing on fallout 3 with the "victory rifle" and just sitting back and feeling so good about making a head shot from sitting on a hill and being barely visible. The same with CS:S getting a double kill through snipers ally on Dust2. also I've enjoyed the raw skill of players on tf2 especially on the custom map cp_orangex3 where its very open and you can see the snipers rather than it being a camp-fest like some games.

Cooper
22-06-2011, 05:22 PM
I quite like sniping in Fallout3, mostly because it sends raider heads flying.

But for me, what makes the best experience is decent AI. AI in FO3 is utter shite, and it's very rare that AI ever reacts convincingly to sniper tactics.

Multiplayer solves some of that, but it's either arcade-y (TF2, which I adore so much, and play loads of sniper in, is hardly what I'm looking for here), or played by people taking it far, far too earnestly...

(ARMA 2 infantry wannabies, looking at you here. Just pop down to your local recruitment office and sign up...)

StrangLove
22-06-2011, 05:48 PM
(ARMA 2 infantry wannabies, looking at you here. Just pop down to your local recruitment office and sign up...)

You've obviously never seen ARPS in action :P

Kadayi
22-06-2011, 07:00 PM

But there's no respawn and the textures are terrible.

mpk
22-06-2011, 09:53 PM

I second this. I never played the Source version, but dod_caen in the original mod was - at the same time - a sniper's dream and his worst nightmare.

Anthile
22-06-2011, 10:45 PM
The problem with snipers in most games is that they're not really like actual snipers. In ArmA 2, you're always either part of an infantry or designated sniper squad and almost always paired up with a spotter (and therefore defying the "lone wolf sniper" cliché). When your squad attacks a position, it's you and your spotter who go first to find a concealed flanking position to provide reconnaissance. You're not a killing machine and if you have significantly more kills than your fellow soldiers, it's a good indicator that something went wrong. Besides providing info regarding the target area, your other main task is to take out primary targets: officers, gunners, AT-soldiers and hostile snipers.
Sadly, sniping in most games is really bad. Mostly it just takes skill out of the game.

EndelNurk
22-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Yeah the RPS Arma guys really don't sound like they're as hardcore as you think they would be. I'd really recommend giving it a try with those guys. I'd do it if I had the game and I don't even like that genre.

Anthile
22-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah the RPS Arma guys really don't sound like they're as hardcore as you think they would be. I'd really recommend giving it a try with those guys. I'd do it if I had the game and I don't even like that genre.

The average ARPS session plays like a mix of Apocalypse Now, Four Lions and Arrested Development.

Copper8642
23-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Cortex Command. The Heavy Sniper rifle takes off dropship engines.

Baris
23-06-2011, 07:25 AM
The average ARPS session plays like a mix of Apocalypse Now, Four Lions and Arrested Development.

Please be on the steam sale, please be on the steam sale, please be on the steam sale

bussinrounds
23-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Operation Flashpoint (not the Codemasters games), Arma2 and Sniper Elite.

Mihkel
23-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I think COD4 Pripyat section is pretty fun.

Rossi
23-06-2011, 01:28 PM
ArmA 2 is a fun for sniping, although it doesn't really give you a great deal of satisfaction.

For me, the best hands down sniping experience was Novalogics Joint Operations. You dial in distances and you had to compensate for gravity too. Some excellent sniping moments for me. I was driving a boat to try and flank the enemy when I saw on top of a hill a friend come under fire from two enemies. I killed the motor on the boat, stood up and took out both of them. Pretty hard shots considering the boat was bobbing up and down. :D

Wolfenswan
23-06-2011, 02:35 PM

If we're playing adversarials you can add the odd roadrunner episode to the list.

Cooper
24-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I was being a bit harsh on the ARMA 2 quip - I can imagine RPS folks aren't like t'others.

May well buy myself Arma 2, if it ever crops up on the sale, seems to be getting quite a lot of praise here.

Kadayi
24-06-2011, 02:09 PM
The problem with snipers in most games is that they're not really like actual snipers. In ArmA 2, you're always either part of an infantry or designated sniper squad and almost always paired up with a spotter (and therefore defying the "lone wolf sniper" cliché). When your squad attacks a position, it's you and your spotter who go first to find a concealed flanking position to provide reconnaissance. You're not a killing machine and if you have significantly more kills than your fellow soldiers, it's a good indicator that something went wrong. Besides providing info regarding the target area, your other main task is to take out primary targets: officers, gunners, AT-soldiers and hostile snipers.
Sadly, sniping in most games is really bad. Mostly it just takes skill out of the game.

Generally in our Arma sessions its the MG who rack up the kills (which is to be expected tbh), but DMRs tend to do ok, dependant on the situation. But as you rightly point out, the priority is to act as a recon/overwatch to keep command informed and neutralise key targets as and when necessary.

Tei
24-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Can I change my vote?

I say New Vegas.

To me a good sniper rifle must feel like a real thing, be slow, and have something that would feel like infinite punch to it. There are anti-tank sniper rifles... so I think is ok if make heads explode. Instakill. Bang, dead. I respect that.

New Vegas has a few sniper rifles that are serviceable, theres even unscooped rifles that are equally serviceable.

Poindexter
24-06-2011, 07:47 PM
I'd throw my votes in the ring for both ARMA 2 and for Far Cry 2. In FC2, the Springfield was an exceptional weapon, the other snipers never felt right to me.

As far as people thinking about ARMA2, do get it. It's lots of frustration, followed by immense satisfaction when you do get something right. Also, need more North American ARMA 2 players so I can play it online more than the odd weekend when I'm free during the regular Saturday session.

Alex Bakke
24-06-2011, 08:38 PM
ArmA 2 is a fun for sniping, although it doesn't really give you a great deal of satisfaction.

For me, the best hands down sniping experience was Novalogics Joint Operations. You dial in distances and you had to compensate for gravity too. Some excellent sniping moments for me. I was driving a boat to try and flank the enemy when I saw on top of a hill a friend come under fire from two enemies. I killed the motor on the boat, stood up and took out both of them. Pretty hard shots considering the boat was bobbing up and down. :D

You dial in meters and compensate for gravity and wind in ArmA2, too.

Rii
24-06-2011, 09:44 PM

*lifts nose up at mention of GE*

Goldeneye on N64 was the first commercial (i.e. non-mod) FPS to employ a sniper rifle (and to register headshots/limbshots thereby encouraging precision aiming) so it kinda rates a mention in the context of this thread.

And of course its spiritual sequel Perfect Dark featured a gun that allowed you to hunt targets through walls, thereby rendering every toilet cubicle a potential sniper nest.

Poindexter
24-06-2011, 10:00 PM
And of course its spiritual sequel Perfect Dark featured a gun that allowed you to hunt targets through walls.

Hell, IIRC the gun would actually seek targets out automatically, all you had to do was pull the trigger. Awesome in single player, less awesome in mulitplayer.

Rii
24-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Hell, IIRC the gun would actually seek targets out automatically, all you had to do was pull the trigger. Awesome in single player, less awesome in mulitplayer.

Hmm, as I recall the auto-tracking secondary fire feature was generally too slow to keep up with moving targets, although it was useful for getting to the same 'depth frame' as the target. It was definitely more of a novelty gun than anything else but I think that was more a function of it simply not being terribly fun to use once the novelty wore off (and certainly not fun to be in the receiving end of) rather than being imbalanced per se.

GothicEmperor
24-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Bad Company 2, I think. It's got his marksman headshot feature when you kill someone with a headshot from a distance, with higher scores the further away. Since you actually need to adjust for bullet drop over such distances, seeing 'Killed enemy +50, Headshot +10, Marksman headshot +63' pop up on your screen is quite rewarding. I once made a marksman headshot on two people, inside a building, through a smoke screen, with only a single shot, with my only target being the bright orange diamond that appears above enemies that hav been spotted by you or your teammates. Now that was awesome.

Bad Company 2 snipers can also call in mortar strikes, which allow for some very interesting tactics, like flushing people out of a hiding place so you can snipe them, or blowing up a building held by an enemy sniper. Why those idiots always sit on the top floor, right under the roofs were the mortar shells land, is anyone's guess.

Rii
24-06-2011, 10:33 PM
OT: Covering the courtyard with a a Kar98k on dod_avalanche.

roryok
13-10-2011, 03:28 PM
I think COD4 Pripyat section is pretty fun.

Been a while since I played that but wasn't it mostly killing waves and waves of baddies with claymores and machine guns? I know it opened with sniping, but it was scripted. You can't do anything but take the guy's arm off.

roryok
13-10-2011, 04:05 PM
I had forgotten all about Far Cry. It was really good right up until the mutants. I've often thought someone should make a mod that just swaps all the mutants for soldiers. Couldn't be that hard to do. A bit of map editing maybe...

Of course it would also be good to re-record all the dialogue with someone who doesn't sound like he's got an american flag tied around his nutsack

Berzee
13-10-2011, 04:14 PM
An unorthodox suggestion but the MOST fun I ever had sniping was using a heavy crossbow in the Mount & Blade: Warband CRPG mod. (I just put ALL of my points into sniping-related things, plus a few into running, so that without armor on I could get away from most encounters). It's tricky but very satisfying, especially as it's against real humans.

The best thing is when you're carrying multiple crossbows ^_^ and someone sees you fire and charges while you're reloading, and you wait until they're almost in your face and then calmly pull out your loaded backup bow.

Actually no I take that back,
the best thing is sniping a galloping horse and watching its rider slide head-over-heels into the midst of a gang of your friends.

sinister agent
13-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Airsoft >.>

But seriously, occasionally the lads on the ARMA server will let you play with a rifle, and then it's jolly good fun and very real-feeling, if you're at a range over 500 meters.

One of my favourite games with the RPS persons was a big co-op domination (take the map from the AI town by town) game where I was a marksman with a squad. I pulled away from the group a little to be a semi-detached sniper/scout type, and sat on a hill keeping an eye on everyone's position (even watching the other team get slaughtered, leaving us alone, but undiscovered). Annoyingly, my connection failed just as we switched from 'sneaking into position' to 'CHARGE', so I missed out on the real action, but up to then I was given four targets, which I got with four shots. The first two were running into town to alert everyone when I was told to take them out... it was then that I discovered that my scope didn't have night vision, so I'd have to do it half-blind.

Dead exciting. Tense as hell. Massively satisfying when it worked. I can't imagine there's a better sniping sim out there to be honest.

YourMessageHere
13-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Got to agree with Far Cry, FC2, Fallout 3 and Stalker. I modded the shops in Stalker so I could buy the Dragunov ammo; that solved both the problem of never having enough ammo to make carrying them practical, and what to do with all that money. Still, the VSS was a thing of beauty, and used common ammo too.

I also loved the feeling of the COD4 Ghillie suit mission, even if the actual mission contained very little sniping.

Counter-strike had the Scout, which was highly rewarding and hard to use, but with practice much more fun than the AWP. I fondly recall a double headshot kill with the Scout on cs_italy.

Some that haven't been mentioned:

I love crossbows. Thus, Half-life was superb fun; Half-life 2 was even better, since it stuck people to walls. On my first playthrough, I recall that map where you come out of the sewers into the bottom of a factory with a high roof and a long catwalk running the length of the space; I shot a combine soldier from below, skewering his chin, spiralling him upwards and pinning him upside-down to the ceiling. That was hilariously satisfying. Bonus points for the magnums, too. Most enemies fall down like sacks of spuds with a very pleasing 'plonk' when shot.

And then there's NOLF. The crossbow in NOLF was a thing of beauty; silent, usable with or without a scope (the scoped one swayed) and with recoverable ammo that visually stuck into people. There was even a bug whereby you could get more bolts back off a person than you fired into them; I have had ten from a one-hit kill. There were other good sniper weapons too, but I loved the crossbow best.

Oh, and Black Ops. The crossbow has explosive arrows; I only play hardcore, and an arrow hit actually kills with impact wounding not explosions in hardcore. A superb anti-camper device if you can't actually get a direct hit.

FEAR had the not-quite railgun thing, which pinned people to the wall a la HL2 crossbow, but also skeletonised them in a cloud of purple. Also had the ASP three-round-burst rifle.

Speaking of railguns, Quake II. Custom FOV binds and the railgun was a great time.

A thing that pisses me right off: games where the rifle is pinpoint accurate when you look down the scope, but wildly inaccurate when you fire it as you do much less inherently accurate guns in the same game.

One last one: Outlaws, the Lucasarts pseudo-3D western game. Putting a scope on the lever action made for a really fine sniping experience, for one reason: When you scoped up, the view down the scope moved to the centre of the screen and zoomed, but the rest of the view didn't zoom, it just went blurry. I have never seen another game do this, and I have no clue why; it's realistic and it's intuitive. Unless you want a black eye, you dont cram your eye against a rifle sight. You still have some peripheral vision, enough to discern movement without actually seeing detail. It was great.

Mihkel
13-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Been a while since I played that but wasn't it mostly killing waves and waves of baddies with claymores and machine guns? I know it opened with sniping, but it was scripted. You can't do anything but take the guy's arm off.

I mean the sneaking into Pripyat part, being in the tall grass, taking out enemies at the same time and all that jazz.

Fumarole
14-10-2011, 01:13 AM
The original Delta Force has provided my best sniping moment. Now there's a game that understood how large fighting environments should be.

Second would be playing Hunted in TFC. There's no feeling quite like sniping the president through the legs of two bodyguards as he is just a few feet from the escape vehicle.

Doss0311
14-10-2011, 01:49 AM

So what you're saying is that ArmA 2 sniping is realistic.

Catguy
14-10-2011, 03:21 AM
One last one: Outlaws, the Lucasarts pseudo-3D western game. Putting a scope on the lever action made for a really fine sniping experience, for one reason: When you scoped up, the view down the scope moved to the centre of the screen and zoomed, but the rest of the view didn't zoom, it just went blurry. I have never seen another game do this, and I have no clue why; it's realistic and it's intuitive. Unless you want a black eye, you dont cram your eye against a rifle sight. You still have some peripheral vision, enough to discern movement without actually seeing detail. It was great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7XHU2bDjqI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7XHU2bDjqI&feature=related

Chorltonwheelie
14-10-2011, 12:18 PM
If you can come to terms with it's faults then there's some great sniping to be had in Red Orchestra 2.
If you can't get hold of the sniping spot don't fear as it's a great feeling pulling of a head shot with a bolt action via iron sights over a 100 meters.

And like the above CoD comments, if you don't mind the barbed remarks from the cool kids there's some nice opportunities for distant death in the much maligned Medal of Honor (despite the spelling).