PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Battlefield 3 until Steam version is announced!

PersianImm0rtal
20-06-2011, 09:32 PM
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bf3boycott

Just made the group, let me know if you want to help organize.

Edit: You do not have to comment if you are going to buy it, it is just for people who want to buy the game on Steam.

sabrage
20-06-2011, 09:43 PM
If I don't have to install Origin for the retail version, I don't care. (I probably will, but I'm not going to boycott it, I'll just be annoyed)

PersianImm0rtal
20-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Its okay, you do not have to comment if you are going to buy it, it is just for people who want to buy the game on Steam.

sabrage
20-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Well it invites an interesting debate as to the benefits and drawbacks of Steam vs Origin, one that will in turn bring attention to your boycott group. Personally, I find it annoying enough that some games (MW2) REQUIRE the use of Steam to play.

Schaulustiger
20-06-2011, 09:51 PM
At least one thing is for sure: There's a Steam boycott group for nearly everything.

Universal Hamster
20-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm honestly not trying to be Mr "Ohh look how cynical and cool I can be", but you do know gamers will only boycott something until its released? Its like asking heroin addicts to boycott their local smack dealer.

Creeping Death
20-06-2011, 10:02 PM
At least one thing is for sure: There's a Steam boycott group for nearly everything.

Boycott Steam! Show your support by joining my Steam group! :P

I think alot of people might be jumping the gun with BF3 on Steam. An awful lot of EA games dont show up on Steam until a couple of days before release, or even release day.

Regardless, if BF3 isnt on Steam... sure I'll be a little miffed all my stuff isn't in one place, then I'll go and buy it from Amazon for 10-15 cheaper.

Edit: Oh wow. Just checked and there are already 2 steam groups to boycott steam... well there goes my sarcasm. The Boycott Movement (TBM) seems to actually be pretty serious about it too -.-

GothicEmperor
20-06-2011, 10:14 PM
This is rather silly, isn't it?
For me, a person who practically only buys things off of Steam, a boycott means 'not buying things off of Steam'.
So, if I'd boycot the game because I can't buy it on Steam, that means I'm not buying it on Steam because I can't buy it on Steam, which is just silly so now I'll stop.

In short: meh, I'll buy it wenever it comes on Steam. Doesn't really matter if it's September 15th, October 25th or October 29th.

The JG Man
20-06-2011, 10:40 PM
I think it's likely that they'll skimp on pre-order opportunities as to try and get more people using Origin, but come release it'll be out on Steam. The fact that BC2 was released, the BF2 collection and they're in the final throws of getting 2142 up as well shows that at least DICE, and assuredly EA, want to get BF on Steam.

soldant
21-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Another attempt at a boycott? I would have thought after the L4D2 fiasco that people would know that in the gaming world, a boycott achieves nothing. Face it whether they release it on Origin, Steam, or a tin can telephone carriage service, people will buy it and play it. Either way I'm not buying it on Origin or Steam, I'm importing it because it's much cheaper; the Origin price is $79.99 for the limited edition, thanks but I'll just wait a few weeks and get it for $30 less.

Rii
21-06-2011, 06:36 AM
EA shits me off in no end of ways, but Origin isn't one of them. Yet.

Vandelay
21-06-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm pretty certain that no Valve game has ever appeared on a digital download service that isn't Steam, so why are people so up in arms about EA doing the same thing?

If Origin sucks, just don't use it. From what I've read, it is just a download service that can be ignored once the game is downloaded and authorised, so it won't effect a retail copy.

soldant
21-06-2011, 09:01 AM
so why are people so up in arms about EA doing the same thing?
Because it's EA. Didn't you get the memo? If Valve does anything, it's awesome unless it's got something to do with hats. If EA does anything, it sucks, unless it's got something to do with...

...um... Derek Smart?

Estel
21-06-2011, 10:40 AM
A boycott doesn't make sense in the first place, but it particularly doesn't make sense in face of the fact that EA haven't said they're not releasing it on Steam.

If they do release on Steam, I hope you post to that group taking credit for your pressure group's role in forcing EA to reverse their position.

Jockie
21-06-2011, 12:27 PM
You should have called the boycott/petition thing "Put Battlefield on Steam or we'll all go and buy Cod: MW3 instead" that would get Ricotello squirming.

But yeah, I'm not about to deny myself Battlefield 3 over this, EA have every right to try and forge themself a strong digital sales presence.

Kadayi
21-06-2011, 01:11 PM
I pre-ordered a while back. Personally I wouldn't be surprised at the game being made available through Steam but nearer the time, but right now EA are trying to maximise the pre-order aspect. given that Ricotello plans on BF3 going head to head with CoD, he's not going to pass up any sales opportunity and Steam has so much dominance in the digital space, that there is no way he is going to bypass it.

When EA announced the Dragon Age 2 signature edition, there was zero about the game being made available on Steam it wasn't until a month or so from release, that it appeared IIRC. I suspect the same will be true of BF3.

Unaco
21-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Power to the people! Yeah, right on!

I'm currently boycotting Portal 2 until it is released on Direct2Drive. Who will you join me?

Olero
21-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Power to the people! Yeah, right on!

I'm currently boycotting Portal 2 until it is released on Direct2Drive. Who will you join me?

Since I don't have the game, and won't get it anytime soon, does that mean I joined you? If so; yay us! Boo them!

hamster
21-06-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm boycotting every game that comes packaged with a goddamn digital distro platform. Death to DD! Bring back retail games with CD/key checks only!

I'm also gonna boycott any product with the words "persian" or "immortal" in it. Except for Persian rugs. And immortality pills.

outoffeelinsobad
21-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Has anyone made a Boycott the Boycott joke yet?

Alex Bakke
21-06-2011, 01:58 PM
I am not going to hold off playing what looks like an excellent game just because I have to make a new account.

ZamFear
21-06-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm lost in a desert without water. So I'm going to boycott water. Who's with me?

Mistabashi
21-06-2011, 04:27 PM
I only shop at Sainsbury's, so I'm going to boycott products that aren't sold there.

Erm, yes.

TheLastBaron
21-06-2011, 08:05 PM
So I don't get it. How do I boycott this game? Do I not buy a game that wont be released for months? Isn't that what everyone is doing?

Hunt0r
21-06-2011, 09:16 PM
I think it's likely that they'll skimp on pre-order opportunities as to try and get more people using Origin, but come release it'll be out on Steam. The fact that BC2 was released, the BF2 collection and they're in the final throws of getting 2142 up as well shows that at least DICE, and assuredly EA, want to get BF on Steam.

Bazajaytee posted that BF2142 was all done and ready to go on steam, but this has now been cancelled for the foreseeable due to EA/Valve licensing

The JG Man
21-06-2011, 09:48 PM
I just checked to see the blog post he did. 404'd. No trace of it on his website.

Perhaps there's been some delay, but man, that would really suck.

AdamK117
21-06-2011, 10:37 PM
This really doesn't annoy me so massively. After all, steam is effectively just a retailer they refuse to supply. What annoys me more is having seperate logins for all my games though... :(

Anthile
21-06-2011, 10:43 PM
I don't really care. If you're not not from USA or UK, you should be used to getting screwed over by publishers anyway at this point. EA, Valve - it doesn't make a difference. They probably want me to pay 50€ or even more for it and that's just not going to happen because I will import it. Blargh.

sabrage
21-06-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm not usually a Jimquisition fan, but the latest one (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/3565-Accountability) made some good points in between the pompous douchebaggery

J Arcane
21-06-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't know about any boycott, but I won't be buying it so long as it requires Origin. EA have proved themselves patently untrustworthy when it comes to digital sales, and EA's TOS for the new service makes it abundantly clear they're up to their usual tricks in this latest iteration as well, with nonsense like referring to game purchases as "entitlements" and how they can expire your account and games after two years inactivity.

I've got boxes full of games I haven't played in as long or longer. Can you imagine how much worse gaming history would be if all those old copies of Ultima IV or Mario Bros. just stopped working after two years? It's ludicrous. DD is shaky enough without nonsense like that.

lunarplasma
22-06-2011, 08:20 AM
This is the oddest boycott agenda ever.

Faceless
22-06-2011, 10:59 AM
This is the oddest boycott agenda ever.
Clearly, you forgot about L4D2.

pauljeremiah
24-06-2011, 12:33 AM
I think it will be like Dead Space 2, BF3 will appear on Steam about 48 or 72 hours before release, and will have no additional content or Limited Edition features, just the game and that's fine with me.

DarthBenedict
24-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Making an anticipated title steam exclusive was what got steam started - I'd say this is a pretty smart move by EA.

The JG Man
24-06-2011, 04:11 AM
I don't really see how having BF3 to pre-order serves as a real advantage, or having it on Steam altogether. The EA Download Manager which as since become Origin I swear has auto-updating, so that's not a problem. The server browsers will not be determined on what service you use, so that's not a problem. The only real reason I can think of for wanting it on Steam is if it comes with achievements, but that's a very tame deciding factor. I can see why people want choice, but there's already a fair bit. I've pre-ordered it for cheap in standard box format. I'll install it and add it as a non-Steam game to Steam. Benefits of Steam and whatever Origin has to offer. Win win.

Am I missing something? Is this really an issue?

J Arcane
24-06-2011, 06:03 AM
Am I missing something? Is this really an issue?

EA has a history of consumer unfriendly practices in their digital marketplaces, as well as of abandoning/relaunching them on a near yearly basis.

Previously, for example, games on the EA store would expire after 6 months unless you paid an additional extortion fee, which would still expire after 2 years.

The current EULA/TOS for Origin deliberately avoids ever referring to your games with their service as "purchases", preferring their own invented legalese of "entitlements", and goes on to detail their ability to discontinue your entire account after a period of two years' inactivity.

This all adds up to a behavior pattern that encourages mistrust, which is precisely what you do not want in a service where all of your purchases are entirely in the seller's hands even after purchase. Services like Steam, GOG, and even D2D after some early failings, gained their popularity based on people trusting their games would be accessible in the future. Remember the flak over the GoG.com hoax?

People want to feel their purchases will be secure enough to risk digital over physical media, and for myself, and many others, EA doesn't deliver.

Wolfdust
24-06-2011, 08:50 AM
EA has a history of consumer unfriendly practices in their digital marketplaces, as well as of abandoning/relaunching them on a near yearly basis.

Previously, for example, games on the EA store would expire after 6 months unless you paid an additional extortion fee, which would still expire after 2 years.

The current EULA/TOS for Origin deliberately avoids ever referring to your games with their service as "purchases", preferring their own invented legalese of "entitlements", and goes on to detail their ability to discontinue your entire account after a period of two years' inactivity.

This all adds up to a behavior pattern that encourages mistrust, which is precisely what you do not want in a service where all of your purchases are entirely in the seller's hands even after purchase. Services like Steam, GOG, and even D2D after some early failings, gained their popularity based on people trusting their games would be accessible in the future. Remember the flak over the GoG.com hoax?

People want to feel their purchases will be secure enough to risk digital over physical media, and for myself, and many others, EA doesn't deliver.

This pretty much.

For me, EA has done nothing to engender love or trust for them as a consumer and as such I will be skipping BF3 despite previously being interested. I have no desire to mess around with Origin, especially when you only get three downloads and an interrupted download counts as one of the three. Absolutely ludicrous.

Mac
24-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Why would I want to boycott it just because it's not on Steam? I pre-ordered from the EA Store in April for 19.99 ... far more sensible pricing than Steam will do in any case!

Mac
24-06-2011, 09:16 AM

Wow, just wow ...

The point regarding the 6 month and 2 year expiry is no longer an issue - EA saw this for what it was (a bad idea) and got rid of it. You can now download as many times as you can with steam.

EULA/TOS for Steam is the same - it is a service and they can remove your access to the service at any time, which they have done to many users over the years. So you do not only lose access to one game, but all games in your Steam profile ... OUCH!

As you state - "this all adds up to a behaviour pattern that encourages mistrust" - given that Steam is no better, is it the same for them?

Please bear in mind - I use Steam (a lot), but I also use other download services. I am very aware that tying CD Keys to accounts has basically nothing to do with combatting piracy, and more to do with limiting second hand sales, but trying to make Steam out as some bastion of light in a dark industry is just silly.

Steam sales are often worth a look, but I will still buy from Retail (which is normally cheaper), and other digital services - for me, the inconvenience of having 2 or 3 clients isn't too great, and if anything it mitigates my risk in so far as I will never lose access to all my games at once.

GothicEmperor
24-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Why would I want to boycott it just because it's not on Steam? I pre-ordered from the EA Store in April for 19.99 ... far more sensible pricing than Steam will do in any case!
True. I bought the Vietnam expansion for Bad Company 2 through EA, because it was just a code that unlocked the content, and they just emailed it. Had a 60% discount on it, I think; there was a sale on.

As I said before, I wont buy this game anyway untill it's on Steam. A boycott has nothing to do with that.
Steam support always improves sales, and EA would be daft not to throw it on Steam as well somewhere down the line. I think they're just limiting the pre-order variant to Origin to boost users for that platform.

It's not much different than those deals Microsoft and Sony make to ensure content gets released earlier on the X-machine 180 or Gamemachine 3; it gets released earlier on one system to boost sales for that system, but they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't release it on the other system after that.

J Arcane
24-06-2011, 10:25 AM
This pretty much.

For me, EA has done nothing to engender love or trust for them as a consumer and as such I will be skipping BF3 despite previously being interested. I have no desire to mess around with Origin, especially when you only get three downloads and an interrupted download counts as one of the three. Absolutely ludicrous.
Really? I hadn't heard this one, do you have any details/source on that particular claim?

Mac
24-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Really? I hadn't heard this one, do you have any details/source on that particular claim?

I think it's a case of "why let facts get in the way of a good story" ...

WitchfinderG
24-06-2011, 12:34 PM

Well its not true, that might be the reason why you haven't heard of it.

The JG Man
24-06-2011, 12:50 PM
As I said before, I wont buy this game anyway untill it's on Steam. A boycott has nothing to do with that. Steam support always improves sales, and EA would be daft not to throw it on Steam as well somewhere down the line.

I really don't understand this. BF3 is a big enough game that it simply won't matter if it's available or not to pre-order on Steam. And at any rate, why should that hamper your enjoyment of the game if other people don't buy it? So long as there's enough for a server browser full of choice, surely that's enough, right? I agree though, not having it on Steam yet seems a bit daft, but hey, I'm not in Marketing.

I think BF3 will likely use Origin no matter where you get it from, just like, say, The Orange Box and Steam. From what I can tell, a lot of support for the chance to pre-order on Steam simply comes from brand loyalty. That's not inherently bad, I just think it's a bit bizarre when people claim that Steam is fantastic when it comes to saving money, yet they're denying the chance to save money by looking through alternatives here. I managed to pre-order a physical copy for 23. That's a heck of a saving over other locations and it far supersedes my desire to have it on Steam or any other DD platform.

Origin itself just seems to be falling in line with the industry standard which is very much established thanks to Steam. EA might be more obvious with some of the restrictions, but I'm willing to bet a lot of them are still valid with the other big ones, including Steam.

WitchfinderG
24-06-2011, 03:12 PM
It comes to to this: Anyone that wont be playing BF3 because of Origin-only sale / Origin requirement aren't all that interested in the game anyway. If they are, and still wont buy it, they have something up their ass, alternatively sand in their vaginas.

PersianImm0rtal
08-07-2011, 03:10 AM
Ok there is more reason to boycott bf3 now, because there is no mod tools and map editor, anyone who buys the game is a fool!

Dexter
08-07-2011, 04:17 AM
Ok there is more reason to boycott bf3 now, because there is no mod tools and map editor, anyone who buys the game is a fool!

Call me a happy fool then when I'm enjoying my Retail copy of BF3 after it comes out... I got over 200 games on Steam and I'm all for it and the (largely) good it is doing for the PC gaming industry, but seriously you don't have to ride its cock so hard that it starts to hurt...
One thing that Steam is bad at is prices on new games, seeing as there are no costs involved (no shipping, no retailer costs, no materials like printing and pressing the disc and other logistics etc.) it should be less expensive not more, yet I can always get games up to 30-50% cheaper when I just order Retail from amazon.co.uk or the likes.
Also, why the hell would I want my games to integrate Steam? It should be a choice and not a requirement. Not to mention that Battlefield also has its own Friends-system IG and there's no need for it... I bought Bad Company 2 retail and I'll happily do the same with Battlefield 3. I'll be a little pissed if it requires Origin to play but I haven't heard anything to indicate such, only that the Online version will be available from there.

Ogun
08-07-2011, 05:27 PM
I don't see this being an issue in the same way that Brink's absence from Steam was - EA are a big enough company to look after themselves.

I'm a lot less sure about Bethesda after what they've done to the Brink playerbase by temporarily dropping Steam with no explanation, hell we're both really annoyed about it.

GothicEmperor
08-07-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm a lot less sure about Bethesda after what they've done to the Brink playerbase by temporarily dropping Steam with no explanation, hell we're both really annoyed about it.
Wasn't that a UK-only thing? Couldn't be bothered to see if we Continental peasants had access to it.