PDA

View Full Version : DayZ co-op organisation thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

hexagonalbolts
14-05-2012, 12:40 PM
There are a couple threads now that are a random hodge-podge of questions, stories and general confusion, so I thought it would be worthwhile to make one dedicated just for people to organise playing together. With the increased number of zombies and many people turning to banditry, co-op is becoming crucial for survival.

You will need voice chat to make cooperative play worth it (else it will be impossible to find each other). RPS has its own VOIP (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2515-README-Mumble-VOIP-for-Arma-2-and-other-games) which we can use. Come online on the mumble at any time and go in the DayZ section (under ARMA) or state in a post here when you are free to play.

I'm about most of the rest of this week if anyone fancies a game.

harakka
14-05-2012, 12:52 PM
The Mumble server is indeed the right place to find DayZing RPS people. Another good spot is the RPS Steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rps) chatroom accessible via this magical link (steam://friends/joinchat/103582791429554934).

byteCrunch
14-05-2012, 12:54 PM
I am not really busy this week either, free for all of today, though currently I do not have a working mic so I will only be able to listen in.

Edit: Currently on DE3 (I think) if anyone wants to join me, I am near Zelenogorsk.

Drake Sigar
14-05-2012, 01:00 PM
I found setting up Mumble too complicated and resigned myself to Teamspeak. I can usually be found on and off throughout the day (GMT time) on FR2 because at this moment I have a working car there.

Borklund
14-05-2012, 01:14 PM
With Diablo 3 just around the corner I don't know how actively I will be playing Day Z, but I will go on the Mumble server some time this week for sure.

JimmyBignuts
14-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Yaay. I'm down, clown. Got Mumble organised yesterday, as long as we're not treading on any toes, that seems like to best place to cry like little girls at each other. Getting on the same server, now THAT'S gonna take some wiles.

hexagonalbolts
14-05-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm in the RPS group chat and about to join the mumble

Head
14-05-2012, 01:48 PM
I found setting up Mumble too complicated and resigned myself to Teamspeak. I can usually be found on and off throughout the day (GMT time) on FR2 because at this moment I have a working car there.

wait what?

Subv3rse
14-05-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm on regularly (GMT)... (read, every waking moment since Thursday night or while I'm at work, hah!)

EU5 server normally, but I'm looking into the costs of hosting a server.

-MuzzleRat

Edit: PS: I'm a friendly :)

StrangLove
14-05-2012, 01:51 PM
I agree with head, TS3 and mumble are equally easy to set up. If anything, Mumble is the better programme, as it's a lot more forgiving as far as audio quality goes.

hexagonalbolts
14-05-2012, 03:03 PM
We just had quite a few of us on the mumble server but there seemed to be quite a few problems with the DayZ servers so a few of us said we would reconvene on mumble tomorrow morning and have another stab at it

Juss
14-05-2012, 03:39 PM
I've wanted to buy ARMA 2 for a while now and this mod was enough to make up my mind hit the doomsday paybutton on steam.
Don't know if I'll be around when you guys are, neither if it will be playable with my latency (South American here, mind you) but i shall try nonetheless or get eaten by zombies.
Mayhaps I'll even join in the mumble server and stalk RPSers, or even try and speak some weirdly pronounced broken English.

The Innocent
14-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I've been playing it a fair bit as well. When I manage to jump on, I'll try to get into the habit of checking on Mumble as well.

oceanclub
14-05-2012, 04:03 PM
"Getting on the same server, now THAT'S gonna take some wiles."

Yeah, considering how hard it is to find _any_ slot on a server, I'd be very surprised if you could organise people to get onto one, unless RPS sets up its own server.

P.

hexagonalbolts
14-05-2012, 04:07 PM
"Getting on the same server, now THAT'S gonna take some wiles."

Yeah, considering how hard it is to find _any_ slot on a server, I'd be very surprised if you could organise people to get onto one, unless RPS sets up its own server.

P.

We managed fine earlier, it's alright if you're just in 2 or 3, at a quiet time, and you spam the enter key

Nullkigan
14-05-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm on regularly (GMT)... (read, every waking moment since Thursday night or while I'm at work, hah!)

EU5 server normally, but I'm looking into the costs of hosting a server.

-MuzzleRat

Edit: PS: I'm a friendly :)

FWIW, we rent a solid box for 95 quid a month from OVH. Ones that meet the minimum requirements for Day Z get as low as about 50-60 quid a month from Kimsufi (Windows isn't cheap), but will be laggy and probably only 30 slots. Not that it'd be noticeably different from any other server running the mod. Dedicated game hosts will charge you through the nose, but if you're going down that route I'd recommend Killer Creation (Justin is awesome) over Multiplay any day of the week having experienced both in the past.

The reason we're not running one is that the requirements are a bit too stringent - you MUST provide administrator access to the dev team and you must run an open, public server which is constantly up. Not ideal when we've got scheduled games with massive cpu draw and don't know any of the devs/are aware that they're likely to be hit by a dramabomb at some point.

Borklund
14-05-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm down for some DayZ right now.

Felisc
15-05-2012, 12:01 AM
I considered trying to join some of the rps folks this evening, but it's so hard to find a place on those us servers. plus the bits of conversation i sneakily heard on mumble were referring to revenge against a player who killed a cow. that's some serious business. *shivers*

Comrade Commissar
15-05-2012, 03:17 AM
Ha, you must have joined during Head's and mine "moments of glory".
I was streaming the Day Z gameplay at that time and went full rogue, shooting people I saw even if they acted friendly, so that guy shooting the cow was just a lame excuse for me to kill him.

I'm usually not doing that sort of thing, but it feels good to go full rogue from time to time.

Felisc
15-05-2012, 09:47 AM
"Defender of the cows" sounds like a neat way to play, though. Circling the place in helicopter, sniping anyone who stares a bit too long at "Gentle Moo" etc ... Hey i think i just found a new goal in this game.
Anyway, i'll play at 21:22 gmt tonight.

DutchDrunk
15-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm planning on installing the game tonight, last night my connection was a bit iffy.

Really worried with the talk about difficulty finding a place on the servers though, but I hope to get to play with some RPS peeps tonight then. I should be on around 21:00 GMT.

JurassicPork
15-05-2012, 04:12 PM
I'd love to play with some other RPS peeps. I've been having horrific experiences of just getting into a working game with one other person so how would we host an RPS server?

JurassicPork
15-05-2012, 04:25 PM
The reason we're not running one is that the requirements are a bit too stringent - you MUST provide administrator access to the dev team and you must run an open, public server which is constantly up. Not ideal when we've got scheduled games with massive cpu draw and don't know any of the devs/are aware that they're likely to be hit by a dramabomb at some point.

Bugger. After the popularity of this mod has rocketed - way to go RPS :) - I haven't been able to get onto a server so was hoping an RPS server would be viable. I'm not very technical but I'm assuming its not :( And if it has to be open then it kind of defeats the object.

egg651
15-05-2012, 04:54 PM
And now, a public service announcement.

Tonight is one one of our regular scheduled 'Tactical Tuesday' sessions for regular ArmA (Combined Ops, that is). You don't need anything more to come along than you do for DayZ; so for any newcomers to the RPS ArmA crowd who haven't played vanilla with us yet, I heartily encourage you to join us. Remember: As long as you can move and shoot vaguely in the direction of the enemy, you're skilled enough to play. More info here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2518-README-Tactical-Tuesday).

Grey2ham
15-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Hi guys, love Dayz and would like to join the RPSers. I'm an admin for NY servers and currently have a well equipped camp on NY2... with a huey. Who wants to be my friend?

Alex Bakke
15-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Hey, Grey2ham!

It's Dr. Alexander Tobacco here, you may remember me. NY2 is my main server; it's one of the best. We're on Mumble most days, if you ever want to join up.

Mumble details: server.herosquad.org

Skydancer
16-05-2012, 01:19 AM
Pity it's so difficult to meet in the same server since the waiting for response bug is round the corner most of the times...

Borklund
16-05-2012, 12:57 PM
I thought I'd post a quick recount of my first ever experience of playing with fellow RPS readers. While I knew of RPS readers organising games and playing together I had never taken part up to this point.

Logged on the Mumble server last night, found AstuteCat, Pummage and some others playing DayZ. I joined AstuteCat and the others on Virginia 2 only to find it bugged. There were a total of 13 zombies walking around all 225 square kilometers of Chernarus. AstuteCat and I were close so we met up near Balota airfield and we both agreed it would be way more awesome and stupid to attack it at night on a crowded server with more zombies skulking around.

You can watch what happened next here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eEKhv3Wajw).

I had a blast and I will most definitely play DayZ and ArmA2 with the RPS community again and I recommend you do as well!

tomdanvers
16-05-2012, 01:17 PM
You can watch what happened next here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eEKhv3Wajw).

I had a blast and I will most definitely play DayZ and ArmA2 with the RPS community again and I recommend you do as well!

Looks amazing!
I'm going to try and be online tonight...

ScottBlalo
16-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Joined the forum just to post about DayZ. Logged into Mumble around 7 PM EST last night and was playing with Skabooga, Westmark, Cuth, and WarSarge for a few hours. Spent the first 2 hours trying to find each other, found Skabooga and led him the wrong way for another hour or so, but did manage to stumble on a bandit overlooking the coast. Popped him in the dome and got a car's windscreen as a reward.

Met up with the others and had a blast trying to survive with 6 bullets between 3 of us. I was the only one that managed to escape with my life, but the sacrifice was worth it.

Look forward to playing with you guys again.

oceanclub
16-05-2012, 05:32 PM
I'll definitely be playing tonight, provided I find a server. However, when I quit last night, I was in the middle of absolutely nowhere, with no idea where I am. I figure I'll have to head back to the traintracks I last discovered and just keep following them.

P.

Juss
16-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Although I couldn't link up with the rest of you guys on the Portland server I had a pretty fun experience being shot in the back by random strangers and then crippled by some guy being chased by zombies.
At least I was Righteously Avenged by a fellow RPSer.

Hopefully tonight I can get around the waiting for server response screen and that lovely debug forest.

palindrome
16-05-2012, 09:19 PM
I am currently DLing ARMA but it will take a while. Hopefully I will be ready to go tommorow afternoon if anyone is around then.

Nuuleh
17-05-2012, 03:17 AM
Just been in a server with someone by the name of Dannysaysaah or somthing and the server crashed, I found out he's an RPS user so I'm hoping hes on here (and now I am, hello all!). If you can hear me Danny light a flare!

Borklund
17-05-2012, 08:35 PM
AstuteCat and Borklund adventure time part 2: the continuing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFt1ikKzHIw)

Gon on Mumble, play some DayZ!

palindrome
18-05-2012, 12:07 PM
After some technical difficulties my prayers to the machine god were answered and the game decided to work this morning. I spent about 3 hours wandering around, dying to bugs (going prone on a roof isn't a good idea) and eventually having a litteral horde of zombies spawn right on top of me just after I managed to find a CZ.

I will be on mumble periodically as Dr S. Secretion.

oceanclub
18-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Finally sorted myself with a map; overkill? :)

Alex Bakke
18-05-2012, 10:57 PM
That map's pretty awesome. :P I find that after a few days of playing Dayz, you know Cherno off by heart.

Fun night tonight. Lots of pewpew!

Llamageddon
19-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Well I finally got binocs, compass, map, hunting knife, matches and a tent. Anyone want to suggest/choose a server to set up an RPS base on? I have found some DE servers that have Euro pings but shifted time so it is not dark after 7:00 pm GMT. Stage two would be to get more tents and fix up some vehicles. Tents and Vehicles are persistent but only on the server you fix/pitch them on so I really want to find a good server to set up shop.

tomdanvers
19-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Im gonna jump on for a bit right now if anyone's around hit me up on mumble ;)

Joseph-Sulphur
19-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Well I finally got binocs, compass, map, hunting knife, matches and a tent. Anyone want to suggest/choose a server to set up an RPS base on? I have found some DE servers that have Euro pings but shifted time so it is not dark after 7:00 pm GMT. Stage two would be to get more tents and fix up some vehicles. Tents and Vehicles are persistent but only on the server you fix/pitch them on so I really want to find a good server to set up shop.

Sure thing, I'll help with that. I'm getting a bit bored of just finding more stuff, a more persistent goal would make this a lot more fun IMO.

JimTheDog
19-05-2012, 10:08 AM
I hate you all.

*Has just lain out the cash for Arma 2.*

*Is about to get sucked into a wonderful gaming experience, once everything downloads.*

palindrome
19-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Dr A. Tobacco your vicious assault on me was fruitless (I respawned about 1km behind with all my kit) ;)

What did you shoot me with? Thats assuming that it was you of course.

Dr S. Secretion, currently alive and well hiding in a bush.

AlonePlusEasyTarget
19-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Finally sorted myself with a map; overkill? :)

Now all you need is some coloured markers to indicate the loot-abundant locations.

Alex Bakke
19-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Dr A. Tobacco your vicious assault on me was fruitless (I respawned about 1km behind with all my kit) ;)

What did you shoot me with? Thats assuming that it was you of course.

Dr S. Secretion, currently alive and well hiding in a bush.

Hi! Sorry I shot you. I thought you were Max, who deserved to die. I shot you with an M16A4 w/ACOG, which is IMO the best weapon in the game. We weren't going to shoot until we heard that you were planning to shoot *us*, so we decided to fire the first shot. I'm quite glad you still had all your kit!

palindrome
19-05-2012, 11:49 AM
I wasn't planning on shooting you, besides I only had a winchester :) Max was in the other group (it may well have been him talking about firing on you) about 400m ahead while me and the other guy had gotten seperated when we spotted you.

Did you have NVGs or something like that?

Metalfish
19-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I would like to register my interest in getting shot at for my beans. I'll be on the mumble when the need to be shot at in the dark takes me.

Alex Bakke
19-05-2012, 12:37 PM
I wasn't planning on shooting you, besides I only had a winchester :) Max was in the other group (it may well have been him talking about firing on you) about 400m ahead while me and the other guy had gotten seperated when we spotted you.

Did you have NVGs or something like that?

Nosir, we were just used to finding people in the dark. And ok - that explains why we couldn't find anyone else once we killed you. We'll be more careful next time.

palindrome
19-05-2012, 12:54 PM
There was somebody lying prone literally next to me :)

It was a very good shot though.

Llamageddon
19-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Sure thing, I'll help with that. I'm getting a bit bored of just finding more stuff, a more persistent goal would make this a lot more fun IMO.

Don't get too attached to anything though, updates have a medium to high chance of resetting everything apparently ;)

Sidian
19-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Can you post the IPs of some of those European servers with shifted time? Playing for the first time but I hate playing at night.

Mr Wonderstuff
19-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Looks like everyone is on the US servers tonight (dallas 4)...full up at the moment so I'm just doing my own thing.

JimTheDog
20-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Yep. This thing is wonderful in a crowd. Thanks to all the people on Dallas 4 tonight. :3

Sidian
20-05-2012, 01:15 AM
So hard to find my way around without any items. Hopefully tomorrow I'll actually be able to find you lot - died 3 times trying to accomplish it tonight :x

Rauten
20-05-2012, 02:09 AM
Can you post the IPs of some of those European servers with shifted time? Playing for the first time but I hate playing at night.

Not sure about IPs, but it seems that EU4 and NL1 run on always day.

SuperÜ
20-05-2012, 03:27 AM
Awesome game tonight, there must have been about 10 or 11 of us in a group at one point!

Llamageddon
20-05-2012, 05:48 AM
We had a great time on Dallas 4, don't know how we'll all get on again but we had 11 RPS'ers form a posse together and had a successful raid on the NW airfield. Only casualty was GrinningD when he got separated briefly and 10 or so zombies spawned around him. We have a small base set up on the server now, so I will post here if I die and you can all rush to the tent I put down to loot all the supplies; tents disappear 2 days after the owner dies.

Next stage will be to get a vehicle up and running I guess. I'd like to thank everyone who joined our posse and especially the people who were there from the start and all waited for the group to form up. It was around a 4-5 hour expedition in the end. We aren't the most professional or terrifying group but by god we get the job done... eventually :D. As one of our group said "It's got better dialogue than Skyrim". I look forward to surviving the zombie apocalypse with you all again soon.

JimTheDog
20-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Just had a very creepy experience with a sort of barn thing in the middle of nowhere near Guglova, where I found an unknown corpse that died in an unknown fashion inside. (Did he fall? Is dead people a kind of loot drop? Either way, thanks for the morphine~)

Hopefully we can get another RPS group going today. :3

palindrome
20-05-2012, 09:57 AM
It seems that 1.58 is currently being rolled out so all the servers are broken, even the Dayz forum is barely usable :)

I also died at the airfield, a ladder killed me. My most common cause of death is 'glitch'.

JimTheDog
20-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Me, Sarlac, and Scuzzball just got ambushed by bandit(s).

;_;

HORROR.

palindrome
20-05-2012, 12:38 PM
You can actually connect? I may have to try (again) then :)

Sidian
21-05-2012, 02:03 AM
Been playing for a few days now but today was the first day I actually met up with some of you lot. Met up with Chuckles and then we met up with BlackJack and vfig. Good times. Annoying just how easy it is to get split up and lost though - one single 3 second desync and it was as though I was on a different continent. By the time they had found the area I was in, some git had shot me in the face.

So much more fun playing in a group though. Just a shame how damn long it take to meet up.

Rig
21-05-2012, 05:43 AM
I had a good time with Dr. S today. Thanks for that.

Rei Onryou
21-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I had a good time on Sunday with Chuckles, BlackJack, vfig and Zoombapup. Up until a zombie caught whiff of us and some bandits took advantage of the situation.

Highlight of the day: Having Zoomba point blank kill a cow with a silenced weapon so no one would hear us, followed by a relay of people going into the field to collect meat, cook it and bring it back to the woods to share.

Sorry Sid for not trusting you. I was wary of our position being shouted over comms.

Lots of random server problems, but Ohio 2 was pretty quick to join and stable.

Mr Wonderstuff
21-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Shame I missed all the fun yesterday...really had problems connecting and then the server was full. Spent my time on another server scavenging - managed to get a compass and binocs. Haven't actually hooked up with anyone yet as trust is a bit of an issue (hence me being here). Still alive with my first character.

chuckles73
21-05-2012, 02:06 PM
some git had shot me in the face.

We got him, though. I wonder how he likes winchester...

Ended up hooking up with another RPSer later on, we successfully raided the Stary military camp. Pulled some gear and some weapons out of it, though we ended up using a lot to do so.

My highlight was looking at the debug monitor and seeing (roughly) 72 zombie kills with 67 headshots. Winchester really is the WIN-chester.

Mr Wonderstuff
21-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Is it possible to toggle the debug monitor?

JimTheDog
21-05-2012, 05:00 PM
We just had a charlie-foxtrot where four of us were shot down on the hill near Stary. Thankfully, we got our gear back. Now, with those still here, heading NW. More news later...

squareking
21-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Anyone down for some co-op survival right about now? Dallas servers would be excellent. Ping me here or on Steam (profile in sig).

JimTheDog
21-05-2012, 06:44 PM
You should get onto mumble with us, Squareking!

squareking
21-05-2012, 06:47 PM
If I can find my headset, I will hop in!

JimTheDog
21-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Just a couple of quick notes. The following two links are very helpful in getting Arma 2 beta and Day Z to run together:

http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2085

and

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=30780635#post30780635 (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30780635&postcount=3)

Which is a neccessity to join some servers. (Beta patch is, apparently, fully backwards compatible.)

Why do you need to join a beta server?... Well, on FI 2, where our squad got nailed, we've left a tent full of the stuff we lost. It's in the vicinity of where people died. There was, when we left it, some assault rifles and other guns in there. I don't expect it'll last long, mind, but ask around for assistance from one of those of us who were ambushed by that damn bandit.

There were six of us, four went down rapidly, and I was left to lie prone meters away from three dead comrades waiting for doom. Eventually, the bandit showed up. I emptied about half a magazine at him in stuttered bursts, and apparently missed, but he fled and didn't come back. So, you know. Objective achieved? >.>;

palindrome
21-05-2012, 07:09 PM
I now have the most complete set of equipment that I have ever had, all I am really missing is some matches, a GPS and decent anti bandit gun. I have vast quantities of wincherster and revolver rounds though so Zs are no longer much of a problem.

palindrome
21-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Given the sheer scale of the map and how spread out everyone is we really need to start setting organised raids. How about an airfield run at 21:00 GMT tommorow? If people are interested start collecting in the general vacinity of Rogovo at 20:30. The server can be chosen at the time.

Metalfish
21-05-2012, 11:35 PM
palindrome, do you venture into the 'dead things' subsection of the DayZ mumble? We had 11 people on one server this Sat. I think Malo got a group screenshot, though I don't know if he's uploaded it yet. Anyway, upshot is, we seem to be able to call upon a fairly impressive amount of firepower, especially at weekends. I agree about playing big raids, but perhaps giving people plenty of notice to get into position? (Which can talk all evening if you're unlucky.)

palindrome
21-05-2012, 11:44 PM
I'm in the screenshot, I am Dr S. Secrection in game (but that will be getting changed as it doesn't really work well in voice chat ;) ).

The problem is that people are always scattered all over the map and it takes at least an hour to get everyone in one place and its usually a lot longer. If we set a start time and meeting point then we can get in position before hand and be ready as a group much more quickly.

Malo
22-05-2012, 04:10 AM
I had a ton of fun on Sat. Definitely a great introduction to the RPS crowd. I wasn't the one taking the screen shot, I thought it was lama or his buddy. I would love to see how that screen shot came out. Hopefully next time I get to play with you all I won't die twice to stairs...

Rig
22-05-2012, 05:35 AM
Hey guys, I had a ton of fun with the seven other RPS guys I wound up with. Here are the screenshots I took of us sitting around a campfire :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/oggvorbis/screenshot/541802236115074651
http://steamcommunity.com/id/oggvorbis/screenshot/541802236115070182
http://steamcommunity.com/id/oggvorbis/screenshot/541802236115061871

We trekked almost all the way across the map and hit the hospital in Berezino. Tons of medical supplies now. Hop on the RPS Mumble and sync up with us so we can share.

Also, here's a great online map of the area - http://avidblur.com/arma2/

chuckles73
22-05-2012, 05:59 AM
We trekked almost all the way across the map and hit the hospital in Berezino. Tons of medical supplies now.

And then you shot me. *sigh* :P

Barrow
22-05-2012, 06:01 AM
For those that want to watch the hijinks, I have some clips processing right now (if they're not available yet, they will be soon):

Part 1 - http://www.twitch.tv/barrowdev/b/318984205
Part 2 - http://www.twitch.tv/barrowdev/b/318984141

Also, Rig, how many RPS kills does that make today? 3? =p

Mr Wonderstuff
22-05-2012, 08:45 AM
The amount of bandits in those screenshots is a little worrisome ;-) Good to briefly meet up with some of you yesterday if only if was for a bottle of water. Shame changing server meant we all got dispersed and I didn't get a chance to hang around. I tried to make my way North where some RPSers were hanging by Devil's Castle but the distance is massive and my guy was suffering various injuries (current blood level at 1500d). Headed south and now am just outside Cherno (I think). Need a blood transfusion or a box of matches to cook my meat - lordy this solo survival lark is tough. Still...I'm on my same char as when I started at the weekend.

JimTheDog
22-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Oooh. We have 1.58 out, with a hotfix, even. :o

Trying it out now, sitting in mumble.

EBass
22-05-2012, 01:51 PM
As an aside if you come across a "wrecked huey" do NOT get in it. I don't mean a huey that has been wrecked, I mean the one that spawns as a wreck as default. I got in as gunner just to see if the game would let me and errrr fell down dead, very odd, and also irritating as I had pretty much a full kit, gps and all grrrr

Rei Onryou
22-05-2012, 02:01 PM
HOTFIX : 21 MAY 2012 Affected addons:
* dayz_code 1.5.8.2

Changelog:
* [FIXED] Loosing temperature way too fast
* [FIXED] Not enough wood available for spawn
* [FIXED] Matches way too rare
* [FIXED] Reduced impact of infection (coughing amount and blood loss, will only loose 2000 blood)

HOTFIX : 21 MAY 2012
Affected addons:
* dayz_code 1.5.8.1

UPDATE : 21 MAY 2012
Affected addons:
* dayz_code 1.5.8
* dayz_equip 1.2.4
* dayz_sfx 1.1.1
* dayz 1.2.5
* dayz_weapons 1.1.1

Developer's Note:

* TO INTERACT WITH MOST ITEMS: YOU NOW NEED TO OPEN GEAR MENU (G) THEN RIGHT CLICK ON THE ITEM! SUCH AS BANDAGING AND EATING AND SHIT

* This is a pretty major update. I don't really know what affect the new sickness and temperature system will have on player behavior especially with antibiotics being so scarce.
* It is the genesis of an idea, so please remember this might cause havoc. You need to be careful.
* To light a fire, you need matches and wood in your inventory. Place more wood in the inventory of a fireplace to keep the fire going.
* A fire that does not have wood in it will go out when you try to light it.
* You can tell you have an infection, because your character will start coughing. The infection causes you to loose blood down to a minimum of 6000. This leaves you with reduced blood until you take antibiotics.

Changelog:
* [NEW] Server cleanup system replaced with a more agressive one
* [NEW] Inventory Interaction system (right-click on items in gear screen to bring up interactions)
* [NEW] Temperature System now implemented (effects are limited)
* [NEW] Chance of catching an infection the lower your temperature
* [NEW] Chance of catching an infection from already infected players
* [NEW] Water can be filled in ponds, all water pumps, wells, but not the sea
* [NEW] Forced disconnection saving for abort and alt+F4
* [NEW] Zombie's will investigate player deaths
* [NEW] Adrenaline rush from panicing causes greately increased hunger for a while
* [NEW] Bandaging Sound when bandaging yourself/someone
* [NEW] Coughing sound when you have an infection
* [NEW] Camera Shake when temperature drops extremely low
* [NEW] PROTIP: Use Global Chat/VOIP in populated areas
* [NEW] Fire requires wood to keep burning
* [NEW] Various Loot spawn balancing changes
* [FIXED] Should not be pellets for the Winny
* [FIXED] Whinny is way to powerful and quiet (mmmm your tears will be delicious)
* [FIXED] Helicopter loot despawning too fast
* [FIXED?] Too many zombies for the Carebears to be able to play
* [FIXED] Fog is way too thick
* [FIXED] Climbing a ladder with a pistol will cause you to fall
* [FIXED] Zombies not attracted to Flares and Chemlights
* [FIXED] Panic noises going apeshit all the time
* [FIXED] Zombie spotted alert far too quiet (increased slightly)

Looking forward to trying this with the update. I like the adrenaline rush, but the Winchester change and zombies attracted to flares/chemlights scares me.

I had an idea earlier today: My bane so far is bandits. Zombies never kill me, bandits do. They suck. RPS should form bandit hunting groups. Make the hunters become the hunted.

Would be great to send false messages over chat saying we're meeting somewhere, then catch the bandits that fall for the trap.

Llamageddon
22-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Yep EBass, I lost a GPS an hour after finding one when we decided to try bandit hunting, not too sucessfully. Getting a GPS makes you a marked man basically :P. I have been really lucky though. Found NVGs stupidly put them in a tent, server didn't save my stuff then just last night found some NVGs again. I will now be using them to hunt for more NVGs at the airfield at night to give away to other RPSers so we can do night ops! Will probably give them to the people who were with me on the raids where I found the first two pairs first but otherwise it will be a first come first served basis I suppose. They only have a 0.11% drop rate though so don't get too exited just yet. For reference GPS also have a 0.11% drop rate at barracks but a 0.18% drop in deer stands so those might be the best place to look for a replacement GPS as they are a lot safer than Barracks.

EBass
22-05-2012, 02:42 PM
I cant be sure, but I looked at the spawn rates a while back and I think GPS spawns at any high level loot point (fire stations, hangers, deer stands etc) but NVGs ONLY spawn in barracks I think.

Llamageddon
22-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I cant be sure, but I looked at the spawn rates a while back and I think GPS spawns at any high level loot point (fire stations, hangers, deer stands etc) but NVGs ONLY spawn in barracks I think.

You are right about GPS spawning at all military grade buildings, NVG's can also spawn in the grey downed helicopters, I think they should be lootable now, the loot despawn has been fixed, getting in the gunner position might still kill you though. This loot list is useful: http://picacid.com/arma2/loot_en.html

Don't worry it is condoned by Rocket.

Llamageddon
22-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Looking forward to trying this with the update. I like the adrenaline rush, but the Winchester change and zombies attracted to flares/chemlights scares me.

I had an idea earlier today: My bane so far is bandits. Zombies never kill me, bandits do. They suck. RPS should form bandit hunting groups. Make the hunters become the hunted.

Would be great to send false messages over chat saying we're meeting somewhere, then catch the bandits that fall for the trap.

I like this idea, a few of us tried this the other day but we were only partly successful, we had quite a few deaths. Was mostly due to a lack of caution and not staying in cover as well as we could have. Think we will all be better after learning from our bandit hunting mistakes. Always remember to play like there is a hypothetical bandit looking at you through a sniper scope, it has kept me alive on numerous occasions whilst someone nearby has suddenly dropped dead in the middle of a field.

EBass
22-05-2012, 03:45 PM
To be honest once you've learned the mechanics of this game zombies should really never ever kill you. Even if you get caught in the open by a swarm if you peg it they'll never hit you so long as you don't stop. The main danger of the Zeds isn't so much them in and of itself but that firing on them alerts other players to your presence.

JimTheDog
22-05-2012, 07:17 PM
I got a GPS!

Then, very shortly afterward, the inevitable happened. DarkFenix looted GPS off my corpse after zombies ate me at the airfield. He logged out when it happened. ;_;

Rig
22-05-2012, 07:39 PM
And then you shot me. *sigh* :P

My excuse was that I went to a completely different server. Out of the 100+ servers in DayZ, I happened to join one with another RPSer. And out of 250km2 of terrain, you happened to be in my line of fire. And then I happened to be in a bandit mood, so I happened to shoot you.

DON'T JUDGE ME

For those that want to watch the hijinks, I have some clips processing right now (if they're not available yet, they will be soon):

Part 1 - http://www.twitch.tv/barrowdev/b/318984205
Part 2 - http://www.twitch.tv/barrowdev/b/318984141

My favourite part was when we were all singing while running down the power lines. :D

Metalfish
22-05-2012, 08:08 PM
I survived! I have your backpack, Jim. If you want it back, do say.

JimTheDog
22-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Just had a great little run on the Stary Sobor military camp - got an MP5SD, an AKM, and an M16 with underslung grenade launcher in the same run! Did it with Skabooga and MrWonderful, and despite alerting zombies and getting a little roughed up on the hillside, we still managed to get a gun for each of us. :3

(I did use the MP5 SD for a bit in there, and let me tell you, silenced weapons are WORTH IT. I did take the M16, though, because I end up having to shoot my way free of zombie hordes way too often.)

Next step, get a hunting party to go and grab enough meat to get my blood back, because I am severely lacking, now. But that can wait for tomorrow...

Scuzzball
23-05-2012, 05:10 AM
For anyone wanting the Arma II CO beta bit, I made a zip of the stuff you need to do it.
It contains the installer, and an exe to replace the arma2CO.exe, and a batch file.
The effect of the EXE is that you will only be able to run the beta, no matter the launch options you give it in steam. If there's interest, I could try to make options happen.
You currently need to modify launch options in the batch file, near the bottom after the comment.
http://uf.serveftp.com/files/Arma%202%20OA%20beta.zip

What the exe is is just something that runs the batch script, as I got lazy and didn't want to convert all the registry checks to C++, which I've never really touched before. Also never dealt with a registry before, but if there is demand, I can learn.

Edit:
Also, I'm above Cherno, and I have a few blood packs for anyone who needs them. I would like to keep some for my upcoming expedition for a car, but I'll give out a few, and help anyone get more.
Contact me on steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/scuzzball555)if you want help from me.

Barrow
23-05-2012, 08:37 AM
So, I found a little toy (http://www.twitch.tv/barrowdev/b/319088754) tonight; didn't put it to good use, but man was it fun.

JimTheDog
23-05-2012, 11:05 AM
So, I found a little toy (http://www.twitch.tv/barrowdev/b/319088754) tonight; didn't put it to good use, but man was it fun.

That toy was SO NOT LITTLE.

Mr Wonderstuff
23-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Just had a great little run on the Stary Sobor military camp - got an MP5SD, an AKM, and an M16 with underslung grenade launcher in the same run! Did it with Skabooga and MrWonderful, and despite alerting zombies and getting a little roughed up on the hillside, we still managed to get a gun for each of us. :3

(I did use the MP5 SD for a bit in there, and let me tell you, silenced weapons are WORTH IT. I did take the M16, though, because I end up having to shoot my way free of zombie hordes way too often.)

Next step, get a hunting party to go and grab enough meat to get my blood back, because I am severely lacking, now. But that can wait for tomorrow...

Good fun last night and do that run with JimTheDog was pretty tense and I have an AK! Glad I provided some comedy moments with my spontaneous fainting - thanks to Doctor Rig who patched me up. This was my first experience of group gaming with Dayz and it was great fun and memorable so thanks to all those who helped me.

Jim, I could do with a hunting session too as my blood is at 5k (or a raid on a hospital).

Nim.Was.Taken
23-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Had fun last night with JimTheDog and Keifer Sutherland, Operator and WhatsHerFace. We visited castles. We raided army camps. Keifer is a stone cold killer. Jim missed a cow like, six times. Operator hates me. WhatsHerFace did very well for her first time. We didn't die, which was kinda disappointing.

JimTheDog
23-05-2012, 01:41 PM
The cow was, like, stealth forcefielded or something!

purdz
23-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Last night was a lot of fun, I was snipes in the group that split off from you guys at castle zub to raid the airfield.

It didn't end well, we managed to friendly fire a bit we all had loud guns so alerted pretty much every zombie to our position and im pretty sure there are a few bandits around too. im currently logged out in the barracks there with 1 clip of makarov ammo no food no water no bandages and no painkillers, im hoping when i log in next items will have spawned around me and i can get them before the zombies attack!

Great fun though, also someone in our group caught the sickness and so they've become a bit of an outcast and have to stay at least 200m from us at all times. The fear that engulfed us the moment we heard someone coughing at our hastily arranged BBQ/Campfire was very funny to see. Everyone else either logged out or died I think apart from the guy with the m4,
DarkFenix who miraculously stayed fairly civil while we were all looking to him to fix our broken bones and give us blood etc at the same time as shooting all the zombies we had managed to alert once our ammo had been depleted. That man has the patience of a saint!

Mr Wonderstuff, your random fainting was hilarious once we met you in the woods a mogli I'm glad someone finally came back to give you blood after the three of us seemingly abandoned you! (i got d/c so that's my excuse!)

Will definitely be on to play again in the next few days!

Barrow
23-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Had fun last night with JimTheDog and Keifer Sutherland, Operator and WhatsHerFace. We visited castles. We raided army camps. Keifer is a stone cold killer. Jim missed a cow like, six times. Operator hates me. WhatsHerFace did very well for her first time. We didn't die, which was kinda disappointing.

Shame it was so late/freezing cold. Half-awake gear-crazed mentality aside (gotta get dem MP5SDz), would have loved to run with you all; glad to hear you all met up in the end though.

JimTheDog
24-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Another good day with the RPS crew. :3

Been toting around an M16 with a grenade launcher all day - just me, or the sights wonky?

Also, Berezino Crew. Was that hospital run across the server restart the worst thing, or the worst thing? Oh well. At least we found military tents... (... Eventually.)

Nim.Was.Taken
24-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Been toting around an M16 with a grenade launcher all day - just me, or the sights wonky?

Also, Berezino Crew. Was that hospital run across the server restart the worst thing, or the worst thing? Oh well. At least we found military tents... (... Eventually.)

Jim gives the best directions ever. It's like he's a laser guidance system or something.

Also I killed a cow with 2 shots. I win.

Mr Wonderstuff
24-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Hey Jim, after all that faffing around last night I finally worked out I was in Solnichniy which was further south than I thought. Anyway, have a new character who respawned there. Hopefully I will meet up with the RPS collective at some point - will keep a close eye on the online map from now on.

tjv
24-05-2012, 01:15 PM
I really starting hooking up with you guys here. Starting to feel limits in the solo action.

Nim.Was.Taken
24-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Hey Jim, after all that faffing around last night I finally worked out I was in Solnichniy which was further south than I thought. Anyway, have a new character who respawned there. Hopefully I will meet up with the RPS collective at some point - will keep a close eye on the online map from now on.

Wonderbread was a proud man. He died with quiet dignity in Berezino. He will be remembered.

Mr Wonderstuff
24-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Aw thanks. I was quite proud of my accomplishment of having survived 5 days. It was my fault really I shot at a zombie who was hurltling towards me (when I should have led him away and shot him without provoking attention). In the end I downed 10 zombies even with broken legs - it was quite dramatic really, just needed an orchestra ;-)

Rig
24-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Aw thanks. I was quite proud of my accomplishment of having survived 5 days. It was my fault really I shot at a zombie who was hurltling towards me (when I should have led him away and shot him without provoking attention). In the end I downed 10 zombies even with broken legs - it was quite dramatic really, just needed an orchestra ;-)

And then I looted your corpse. :D

Metalfish
24-05-2012, 08:55 PM
The server has randomly dumped me back to the shoreline. I mention this in the vain hope than my comrades will get to my quite probable corpse in the very likely event of my death.

motherpuncher
24-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Is the mumble server down?

Nullkigan
24-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Nope, working fine.

Rig
25-05-2012, 05:47 AM
I'm currently hiding by the North Barracks in the NW Airfield with a bunch of MD5SD rounds if anyone wants them later.

JimTheDog
25-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Best thing. Sitting in a tower at the airstrip, one of the illumination towers, right? So I stand up. By pressing V. And promptly vault over the railing and plummet to my DOOM.

Oh, misery.

Nim.Was.Taken
25-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Best thing. Sitting in a tower at the airstrip, one of the illumination towers, right? So I stand up. By pressing V. And promptly vault over the railing and plummet to my DOOM.

Oh, misery.

After I vaulted off the roof of a hospital I set vault to Vx2.

In an unrelated story I have 4 clips of STANAG that I'm not using.

The other day the group of RPSers I was with had eyes on a group of survivors in Novy. I mention this because we subsequently ignored them and continued on to the NW airbase. If I'm going to be honest, I found this annoying. What makes this game really interesting is interaction with the other players. I'm not a giant bandit; when I play solo I have a catch and release policy for people who aren't a direct threat to me. But I was playing with you guys. We could have taken them, or died trying. But instead we sneaked around to a couple deer-stands that had shit-all for loot in them instead. How terribly exciting.

Setroc
25-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I like how as you play you realise that zombies are not the real threat, but other players are the real threat. Then after a bit more playing you realise that players are not the real threat, but ladders and railings are the real threat.

Metalfish
25-05-2012, 02:37 PM
@Nim, I think you're just a little further up the curve that this game induces in people than the rest of the RPS crew. Eventually we'll all get bored of "just surviving" and we'll start going around, ahem, making things happen. I'm probably still happy with the scrabbling around stage, but I am getting slowly bored with my policy of non-violence.

purdz
25-05-2012, 02:48 PM
snipes again, using three different names it seems for mumble, here and in game.

Anyways, nearly had a RPS on RPS friendly fire incident last night with one group of us raiding the tents in stary while another group in another mumble channel watched on from the hillside.

Luckily they thought to check before they opened fire on us but it could have got very messy indeed and i fear the group of us raiding the tents would have come off a LOT worse.

Lot of fun last night, the highlight had to be bobbeh and caput falling from the top of castle zub..

Did any of those group screenshots work Rig?

chuckles73
25-05-2012, 04:00 PM
it could have got very messy indeed and i fear the group of us raiding the tents would have come off a LOT worse.

Strange how bad things tend to happen when I'm leading a group...

I'm not sure we would have come off a lot worse though, I've watched survivors from about where that group was sitting. A shot over that distance is not a sure thing... And we had more guns. =c)

(On the other hand, I've also had personal experience with Rig's CZ550, and it isn't something I'd like to repeat.)

motherpuncher
25-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Meeting up with you guys was cool last night. My overlay was not working so I don't really know who I was playing with. First time I have ever had some actual good gear in this game.

Rig
25-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Did any of those group screenshots work Rig?

No - it screenshotted my desktop instead of the game. :(

palindrome
25-05-2012, 06:37 PM
What happened to the screen shots from last weekend? The night of the BBQ?

Personally I am avoiding shooting people until the bandit morphing thing has been removed. To be honest I tend to play very sneakily, I very rarely see someone (who isn't RPS) and if I do I just lurk until they have moved on. I have started to frequent areas with more high value loot so perhaps that will chance.

EBass
25-05-2012, 06:39 PM

The iron sights on the m16 are horrible in Arma2, they hit well up from where you'd expect. Suppose it don't matter hugely in DayZ, but whenever Im apportioned one in a regular game I ditch it asap

Llamageddon
25-05-2012, 07:09 PM
The other day the group of RPSers I was with had eyes on a group of survivors in Novy. I mention this because we subsequently ignored them and continued on to the NW airbase. If I'm going to be honest, I found this annoying. What makes this game really interesting is interaction with the other players. I'm not a giant bandit; when I play solo I have a catch and release policy for people who aren't a direct threat to me. But I was playing with you guys. We could have taken them, or died trying. But instead we sneaked around to a couple deer-stands that had shit-all for loot in them instead. How terribly exciting.

I was there. I agree that we could have taken them though I don't know if they had much worth taking as they were looting residential buildings. I'm also kind of against just attacking people with little provocation, I'd rather find an organised squad with good equipment to go up against or take on a group of dedicated bandits just for a bit more challenge. I feel a bit guilty at the thought of wiping out a small group of desperate survivors who have made it away from the coast for the first time. Feel like we need some rules of engagement or something, killing newbies is no sport really, unless I am out of food and really need some beans I suppose.

Next time I will definitely be up for ghosting some players for a bit and taking them out if it looks profitable. You are right about those dear stands we checked, they had really crap loot.

Rig
26-05-2012, 02:19 AM
What happened to the screen shots from last weekend? The night of the BBQ?

I had posted them back on page 4. Here they are again.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/oggvorb...02236115074651 (http://steamcommunity.com/id/oggvorbis/screenshot/541802236115074651)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/oggvorb...02236115070182 (http://steamcommunity.com/id/oggvorbis/screenshot/541802236115070182)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/oggvorb...02236115061871 (http://steamcommunity.com/id/oggvorbis/screenshot/541802236115061871)

Good run tonight, guys. Here's that picture I took by Stary. Nine of us this time, a new record.

http://i.imgur.com/KSTtq.jpg

purdz
26-05-2012, 02:27 AM
eyyyy thats me to the right of the bandit.

Yeah a pretty successful evening considering I'd had to start again after logging in surrounded by a group of bandits who instantly shot me. Needs to get me an M4 though those things look awesome.

Pretty tense moments when we met up in Stary though. We were definitely in a stand off situation with that other group on the hill, though i think your group had them fairly well surrounded and contained. Woulda been interesting to see that fight.

palindrome
26-05-2012, 10:19 AM
If they had opened fire they we would have killed them, they had no idea that we were behind them. I'm second from the right with the Kobra BTW :)

Cheese
26-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Is there a particular room I should join in Mumble? The DayZ seems to be split into nondescript sections.

palindrome
26-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Which ever has the most people in it. There are no specific rooms.

Mr Wonderstuff
26-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Good times today joyriding with the RPS crowd in a military jeep - albeit a bit of a gas guzzler. Buggy server aside it was a fun time - thanks to all. This game immersive qualities are phenomenal. Love it.

vfig
26-05-2012, 11:47 PM
I took some pictures from our motorised tour of Chernarus.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7072/7275798888_63c70c659d_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/velvetfistironglove/7275798888/)
Sarlac, our driver. Sarlac provided the expert driving, and heroically saved the UAZ while under fire from a bandit attack at the airfield.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7223/7275811734_a7941f99c3_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/velvetfistironglove/7275811734/)
RPS Safari Tours. Look out the windows, shoot cows and bandits.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7213/7275807410_23c2fcbdb8_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/velvetfistironglove/7275807410/)
Driving the bus. On the way to the chosen RPS base camp site, we found a bus. And it was in working condition, with fuel. I jumped in to drive it to the camp.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7275803036_3a33610791_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/velvetfistironglove/7275803036/)
RPS Base camp. A bus for shelter and storage, and a truck for transporting people and goods.

Rig
27-05-2012, 04:17 AM
Where be camp

palindrome
27-05-2012, 01:33 PM
It would be best if you asked on mumble.

chuckles73
27-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Protip: Do not throw a grenade when you intend to shoot your pistol.

vfig
27-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Sarlac, Nim, tiddles, and myself were driving across to Polana. We were loaded up with parts to repair a helicopter that was at the gas station north of the town. As we drove up to the treeline, one lone guy with a winchester came out of the trees and opened fire, killing us all in seconds.

Presumably he also took the car—so keep an eye out for a yellow UAZ driving around on that server.

Rig
27-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Well, balls.

It really sucks that you can't fire from the car. I think a good option, if we had enough people, would be to have a few scouts run ahead of the car and give an all-clear when applicable. The car is great for fast transport, but you're extremely vulnerable when driving. A slower pace would be a good trade-off for increased chances of survival.

Kefirz
27-05-2012, 06:22 PM
I think you have to give it full beans when you drive around to minimize the chance of you getting shot, and if I would need to stop then I guess I would jump out of the car and hide some meters from it. Heh... there is always somebody lurking in cherno :D

Rozza
27-05-2012, 07:29 PM
so guys, looking to find a group of adventurers, longtime lurker here, finally decided to pop up and say hi, i usually play on the UK servers if i can, where y'all hanging out?

Rig
27-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Join the RPS Mumble and hop on one of the populated DayZ channels for awesome.

SO! I was hiding in the North Barracks with the door closed, waiting for loot to spawn. Ten minutes of nothing later, the front door opens up. Two people enter and I killed both of them. Man, they were loaded. I got an M104, GPS, Coyote Backpack, pretty much everything except NVGs.

I never want to log in again, now that I have all this stuff. I'm currently hiding at the very north end of the airfield.

Rozza
27-05-2012, 07:48 PM
hmm, some servers are 1.60.9 but it says im running 1.6, whats going on Oo

Rig
27-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Well, balls. I went into the north barracks on another server and someone was waiting there and they killed ME.

Irony?

Man, I'm mad. I had almost everything I wanted. :(

motherpuncher
27-05-2012, 08:57 PM
The DayZ giveth and the DayZ taketh away. Sucks. I got mowed down yesterday on at the airfields as Llamagedon and I were scavenging for gear.

Mr Wonderstuff
27-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Sorry to hear about all these deaths...clearly the game is now a shoot first and don't bother asking questions. Will adjust my Rules of Engagement.

Oh god I died...right well...deathmatch it is.

palindrome
27-05-2012, 11:14 PM
The survival aspects of the game are starting to wear a bit thin, My 'life' is now 5 days old and I have yet to see anyone who isn't RPS or a parambulatory corpse. Time to break out the makarov and start waylaying newbies in Cherno.

Its quite tragic how 1 guy with a winchester can wipe out a car full of people. I bet that story will end up on someones DayZ diary :)

purdz
27-05-2012, 11:22 PM
snipes again,

SO after getting repeatedly killed yesterday with good loot, Bobbeh, GT and myself decided to take matters into our own hands. We've become a killing squad, unfortunately bob took this too far and killed chuckles 'by accident'.

Had a brilliant battle at the northern hill of Stary Sobor, we managed to kill 4 guys who were attacking us and only lost chuckles due to bobs friendly fire incident. Got some even better weapons and enough supplies to keep us going for a few more days. We also have a Ghillie suit. Very hard to see someone laying down with one of them.

Some poor guy who was bleeding heavily tried to escape the battle by running zig zags across a field we saw him quite late but a couple of shots from my AK and Bobs M4 took him down. We turned back to loot the bodies thinking everyone was dead and as we emerged from the treeline a full clip of ammunition came our way whizzing past our heads we managed to duck in time and decided to try and get the unseen assailant out of his hiding place, I ran right to flank the woods while bob stayed in the treeline and GT went left. All of a sudden a few telling puffs of smoke about 50m in front of me, i turned to run after getting hit luckily not too bad as I ran down the neared hill into a treeline another bullet hit me. I was surviving on a slither of blood and had had my legs broken i was in and out of conciousness though luckily i fell behind a tree so the guy trying to kill me was only hitting said tree and sending bullets whizzing above my head. Bob managed to spot him in the treeline and quickly despatched him while GT came looking for my useless body. Id manged to bandage myself before i passed out again and GT came over to give a blood transfusion. I'd live to fight another day.

After the battle and after the spoils of war had been taken we went North to meet with Artifex and then headed to Nova to find some ammo for GT's Cz. Mr Wonderstuff was heading to meet us but got gunned down as he crossed a field the other side of a hill we were on, we ran to his aid but it was too late. Confusion reined until GT got a sight on the RPS killer but again we lost GT. With shots being fired ahead of us we finally heard the sigh as GT became the latest victim. We managed to find the scene of the battle but by then the assailant had fled. We started to follow his tracks but eventually gave up and logged out.

Deaths will be avenged!

thebigJ_A
28-05-2012, 05:29 AM
I posted this in another thread and was pointed here, so I'll just paste it:

Alright, I'm looking for a group. Ideally a relaxed, friendly, but organized one.

I've been playing for a week, so I'm not a total noob. I have decent gear (had better on my last char, but I spawned in the middle of a gunfight, in the middle of nowhere!) and I know how to use it. I'm not a player-killer, unless overtly threatened or defending a friend, and I like helping people. So, I'm looking for people who play similarly.

Till now I've played mostly solo, or with one other guy I met playing. I'd like to change that, but it's been hard to accomplish in-game. Mostly you get "temporary friends". Someone who helps you out, or vice-versa, or you bump into and have a brief experience with. These are routinely fascinating, but fleeting, and I want more.

I live on the East coast of the US, but I generally play in the middle of the night so i go for those servers with the time reversed, since I don't play at night unless I've got a military flashlight at least. I've got Skype, but have never used Mumbles or Teamspeak (not averse to them, just never had the need, I've always been a single-player gamer till now).

So I guess this is my application. Anyone hiring? ;)

Kefirz
28-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Hey, I suggest you get in mumble and go in the dayz room where are the most people and you can chat with them and meet up later for some group events.

Mr Wonderstuff
28-05-2012, 10:02 AM
I've only been hanging with the RPS guys for a little over a week and it's a great experience - there's quite a few US guys as well. Just follow the instructions in the http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2515-README-Mumble-VOIP-for-Arma-2-and-other-games thread for mumble stuff. I suppose the one thing is that it can take an age (and is quite dangerous) to meet up with the main contingent if they are far away. If you see a smaller mumble group they may be closer.

Sarlac
28-05-2012, 10:42 AM
As wonder said, the main group is often a quick route to death. But fun.

On an unrelated topic, I have a question and hope I can get a little help. I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask but I don't know where else to ask. I did ask in the DayZ mod forum troubleshooting section but you guys may know.

So... I'm running analog discreet outputs for 5.1 audio. It works great for movies and other games, but in dayZ I only get stereo. I'm sure my system settings are ok. Is there something in a config file I need to fiddle with or does dayZ just not support 5.1?

GTaff
28-05-2012, 12:10 PM
snipes again,

SO after getting repeatedly killed yesterday with good loot, Bobbeh, GT and myself decided to take matters into our own hands. We've become a killing squad, unfortunately bob took this too far and killed chuckles 'by accident'.

Had a brilliant battle at the northern hill of Stary Sobor, we managed to kill 4 guys who were attacking us and only lost chuckles due to bobs friendly fire incident. Got some even better weapons and enough supplies to keep us going for a few more days. We also have a Ghillie suit. Very hard to see someone laying down with one of them.

Some poor guy who was bleeding heavily tried to escape the battle by running zig zags across a field we saw him quite late but a couple of shots from my AK and Bobs M4 took him down. We turned back to loot the bodies thinking everyone was dead and as we emerged from the treeline a full clip of ammunition came our way whizzing past our heads we managed to duck in time and decided to try and get the unseen assailant out of his hiding place, I ran right to flank the woods while bob stayed in the treeline and GT went left. All of a sudden a few telling puffs of smoke about 50m in front of me, i turned to run after getting hit luckily not too bad as I ran down the neared hill into a treeline another bullet hit me. I was surviving on a slither of blood and had had my legs broken i was in and out of conciousness though luckily i fell behind a tree so the guy trying to kill me was only hitting said tree and sending bullets whizzing above my head. Bob managed to spot him in the treeline and quickly despatched him while GT came looking for my useless body. Id manged to bandage myself before i passed out again and GT came over to give a blood transfusion. I'd live to fight another day.

After the battle and after the spoils of war had been taken we went North to meet with Artifex and then headed to Nova to find some ammo for GT's Cz. Mr Wonderstuff was heading to meet us but got gunned down as he crossed a field the other side of a hill we were on, we ran to his aid but it was too late. Confusion reined until GT got a sight on the RPS killer but again we lost GT. With shots being fired ahead of us we finally heard the sigh as GT became the latest victim. We managed to find the scene of the battle but by then the assailant had fled. We started to follow his tracks but eventually gave up and logged out.

Deaths will be avenged!

Least I wasn't killed by Bob...

tiddles
28-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Sarlac, Nim, tiddles, and myself were driving across to Polana. We were loaded up with parts to repair a helicopter that was at the gas station north of the town. As we drove up to the treeline, one lone guy with a winchester came out of the trees and opened fire, killing us all in seconds.

Presumably he also took the car—so keep an eye out for a yellow UAZ driving around on that server.

I had tons of fun playing this weekend. I really had to force myself not to immediately log back in after dying. Thanks to honorary Lieutenant Sarlac for leading our gang yesterday and everyone else for showing me the ropes.

By the way, I think there was more than one guy shooting at us because just before I died I saw a guy stroll out of the woods with a shotgun.

Sarlac
28-05-2012, 04:20 PM
I had tons of fun playing this weekend. I really had to force myself not to immediately log back in after dying. Thanks to honorary Lieutenant Sarlac for leading our gang yesterday and everyone else for showing me the ropes.

By the way, I think there was more than one guy shooting at us because just before I died I saw a guy stroll out of the woods with a shotgun.

That makes me feel better... I wonder if the vehicle survived that barrage. We went down so fast it was amazing.

tiddles
28-05-2012, 05:15 PM
That makes me feel better... I wonder if the vehicle survived that barrage. We went down so fast it was amazing.

I know! It'll be great in the future if we can jury rig the vehicles, toughen the sides, take off the top etc. As someone said there are already alternative models for many of the different vehicles.

I hope I can play again soon but I might not be able to for more than an hour on and off for a few weeks now. By that point who knows how many cool new updates will be in the game. I still haven't got my hatchet!

vfig
28-05-2012, 05:16 PM
I heard five or six shots all together, all winchester. And the guy I saw come out of the forest was carrying a winny. It is possible there was more than one winny-toting bastard, though.

In the second or so after Sarlac died, There was a split second where I was trying to decide what to do. I probably should have got out of the car and fired back, I guess; but in the heat of the moment I got into the driver's seat and attempted to drive away through the trees. I survived maybe five seconds at most.

So I lost my stolen AK Kobra and all my stolen mags. What a pity :)

motherpuncher
28-05-2012, 05:35 PM
I had my first murder yesterday. I was feeling a bit bitter from a few recent deaths so I scouted out a lone survivor and laid into him with my AK. He was extremely unhappy. He had shit gear so I dont really feel guilty.

Kelron
28-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Definitely sounds like you lost that car to more than one guy. I'm not sure a single Winchester could kill you all quickly and accurately enough. In normal Arma it's suicide to drive a car into a combat zone ahead of the infantry, but it defeats the point of having one to crawl around like that in DayZ. All you can really do is try and keep it out of the more populated areas, and jump out if you start taking fire.

Sarlac
28-05-2012, 06:10 PM
The only problem is we were not taking fire. The whole thing lasted 5 seconds.

palindrome
28-05-2012, 06:20 PM
In an effort to find someone to shoot I made a run to Balota airfield only to find nothing but a pile of dead zombies and 2 dead survivors (and no decent loot).

Metalfish
28-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Odd question: does the female model have access to all the skins the male one does?

vfig
28-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Kelron, the range was under 50 metres. A winny is plenty accurate enough at that distance, and we'd just crested a hill, which is why we didn't see him earlier.

I really wish the cars were better. It sucks that you can't even *see* anything if you're in the back seat of a UAZ, let alone hang a rifle out the window.

Rauten
28-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Odd question: does the female model have access to all the skins the male one does?

No. When you go G.I.R.L., you never go back.

Metalfish
28-05-2012, 10:03 PM
So no female ghillie suit then?

Kelron
28-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Kelron, the range was under 50 metres. A winny is plenty accurate enough at that distance, and we'd just crested a hill, which is why we didn't see him earlier.

I really wish the cars were better. It sucks that you can't even *see* anything if you're in the back seat of a UAZ, let alone hang a rifle out the window.

It is accurate enough, I'm just not convinced a lone guy could kill 4 in a moving vehicle that fast. Maybe he was really good, but it sounds like you were unlucky and ran into a group you didn't spot.

palindrome
28-05-2012, 10:44 PM
So no female ghillie suit then?

The ghillie suit is basically a mobile bush, I don't think there is any need for a distinct female model :)

Elesium
28-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Arma 2 doesn't have shooting rifles from vehicles included, one of the major things it lacks and will hopefully be something they add in Arma 3 not that it would help of course. You can't see anything because there is no windows in the back of a UAZ.

Metalfish
28-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Unlikely, they said that firing from vehicles would be in ArmA 2. :-)

Anyway, my question was whether the female char could equip camo and stuff, like the lads.

Llamageddon
29-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Unlikely, they said that firing from vehicles would be in ArmA 2. :-)

Anyway, my question was whether the female char could equip camo and stuff, like the lads.

Good question, Grinning chose a female skin and discovered today that unfortunately you can't equip different skins with it yet, or at least not the camo uniform. I am sure it will be added in a future update though.

thebigJ_A
29-05-2012, 04:21 AM
So I just pop into the mumble server and announce myself, then? I don't want to barge in or interrupt anything.

Mr Wonderstuff
29-05-2012, 08:46 AM
So I just pop into the mumble server and announce myself, then? I don't want to barge in or interrupt anything.

Yup. Go into the DeadZ channel where you see a group say "hi" and "which server are you on" and "where the hell are you". At that point you can decide if you are close enough to join the group - if they are too far away it may be worth seeing if anyone else is on another channel and asking the same questions as above. Last night I spent most of the evening just creeping north on my own - I was actually in the channel to get an idea of where the guys were headed as that changes so I could adjust my movements.

GrinningD
29-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Good question, Grinning chose a female skin and discovered today that unfortunately you can't equip different skins with it yet, or at least not the camo uniform. I am sure it will be added in a future update though.

Indeed, when you try to equip a skin as a girl a message drifts up across the display saying that they have not been implemented for the female class yet and that this will be addressed soon.

So going by his usual update speed I doubt we have long to wait ;)

GrinningD
29-05-2012, 09:34 AM
So yesterday I had recently re-arrived on the coast after a hunting accident and was making my way north. I had found a lovely new rifle (one previous, un-careful owner) and had just investigated Zelengorsk and the Green Mountain in search of some basic equipment - a backpack, matches and a compass were high on my agenda. So far nothing.

I get on the radio and make my way to the church in Pustoshka where Kefirz is waiting for me in the Church and Llamageddon is hoofing his way down from further north. A quick scouring of Pust turns up still nothing and we head cautiously into Vybor.

And by cautiously I mean that the silenced MP5 toting mobile bush that is Kefirz moved in without making a sound and myself and Llama managed to attract every other Zed that we passed by stepping on every twig, falling over fences and generally acting like a marching band.

Still, after patching us up Kefirz finds me a lovely Czech Backpack and all the other essentials and we make our way out of town without further incident. We have just reached a small copse of trees next to a barn about 50 yards out of the town when a guy comes on world VOIP pretending to be a zombie. Because of this it takes us a few seconds to realize the explosion we hear did not come over his mic.

Llama spots the smoke rising from the other side of the barn scant meters in front of us.

Ll: Look there, right ahead of us.

G: Ooooh.

K: Grenade.

Ll: Should we go hunting?

G: What, people?

K: Really guys?

Ll: Yeah, it'll be far more interesting.

K: OK let's do this.

Kef and Llama start making their way cautiously through the long grass towards the fence that separates us from the barn, I pull out my rifle and crouch in a bush to cover their approach. They cross the fence one after the other. I drop to the ground to crawl after them.

Footsteps. A twig cracks behind me.

I whirl around, trying to spot the Zed.

A shape moves on the other side of the copse from me. It has a back pack on. Did I see that right? I look to the right of the tree it disappeared behind.

G: Guys Wait, I think there's someone behind us, where we just were.

K: What?

G: (in rising panic) Shit yeah there's someone here, I can hear him moving he's on the other side of the tree he's...

*Snap, hiss, glug-glug-glug*

G: ..he's drinking a sodding can of pepsi!

K: We're coming!

Has he seen us? If he carries on past he obviously hasn't. On the other hand if he thinks there's only 2 of us he might think he is safe to crack open a brew.

Crawling, I sight in, eyes glued to the open channel to see if he calls out a greeting or a warning or anything at all.

He's coming straight at me. Rifle out, crawling cautiously to the exact point my friends had departed the trees.

G: Guys he's coming right for me, he's right there! he's, I can't wait any longer, shit!

Five M4 shots. The immediate buzz of flies.

He was carrying the mother load, lots of lovely rifle ammo, steak, blood, water, more grenades. My heart is pounding and my hands shaking on the keyboard as I quickly loot his stuff, Llama and Kef keeping watch. I drag his Alice pack off his corpse and quickly fill it with my things (including the 7 clips of his M4 ammo) and we hurry away towards the airfield.

Was this just an innocent bystander who just happened upon us? The grenades stuck in his belt suggest otherwise. He saw us, throw a grenny to get our attention and looped around to come in from behind. If he had been crouching I might think otherwise but crawling into the copse when there are no Zeds around for hundreds of yards? But then why the drink before action? The rookie mistake of some wannabe bandit? Desperate addiction to caffeine and sugar?

No.

It was the cool, calm murder signature of a deranged apocalypse serial killer.

thebigJ_A
29-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Yup. Go into the DeadZ channel where you see a group say "hi" and "which server are you on" and "where the hell are you". At that point you can decide if you are close enough to join the group - if they are too far away it may be worth seeing if anyone else is on another channel and asking the same questions as above. Last night I spent most of the evening just creeping north on my own - I was actually in the channel to get an idea of where the guys were headed as that changes so I could adjust my movements.

There were only ever 2-4 people on for the five hours i played tonight (damn, i didn't mean to play that long!), and they were always alone in their own little sub-group. Color me confused.

Sarlac
29-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Great story!

Yesterday I was tweaking audio trying to get 5.1 working. In the process I spawned in electro on a night server. With the audio working, and as it was almost dawn i could see a bit and pinpoint danger with my ears. I spent a little time crawling around in the dark and manage to score most of the basics. I headed out east and up a hill as the sun came up. When I hit the tree line I turned north and hoofed it out of the area. So I'm running full blast up this mountain north of electro when I blaze past 3 guys and freak out. I hit the deck and roll behind a tree. They hadn't seen me. I was peeking around the tree to be sure. They were setting uP to snipe looters in town. At that point one of them turned in my direction. Not wanting a fight, I announced myself over direct. One of them responded warning me not to attack. I took that and the fact that I had not been fired on yet as a sign. I said "carry on, I'm just going north." and backed away. As I went over the crest one of them fired into the city... Close call. I logged off in a bush about 2km north. Not a bad solo day. Having 5.1 working at last is so immersive.

Mr Wonderstuff
29-05-2012, 12:34 PM
There were only ever 2-4 people on for the five hours i played tonight (damn, i didn't mean to play that long!), and they were always alone in their own little sub-group. Color me confused.

Pop into a sub-channel such as Aaaarrgh and you should see a number of people. Normally players jump into sub channels in order to co-ordinate their immediate groups actions (imagine having everyone on one big channel - what a nightmare). Don't be afraid we won't bite (or shoot...actually scrap that as accidental deaths do happen). Just hop in and have fun. Also many of us are in the UK so we normally operate between 6pm-11pm GMT.

purdz
29-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Don't be afraid we won't bite (or shoot...actually scrap that as accidental deaths do happen).

Unless you come across Bobbeh, he shoots people for the fun of it under the guise of an accident, don't trust him.

motherpuncher
29-05-2012, 07:19 PM
You guys always help me get back on my feet after a death. Thanks for the ammo and water dudes!

JimBob
29-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Looking forward to coinciding at some point, though I must say I am enjoying the solo aspect too - encountering strangers is a tense situation. I have finally got my feet wet and traversed half the map, raided a few towns and installations, and shot 27 zombies with this character. Unfortunately I have logged out in the middle of a town, so I will teleport into a town at night and probably have to run from 20 screaming zombies with 12 shots to spare. I exited in prone mode and hopefully this version will keep me in that way.

GrinningD
29-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Prone should keep you safe. At night a Zed will practically walk over you when prone, in day it won't notice you till it's about 3 feet away. As long as you are stationary...

rhizo
29-05-2012, 08:35 PM
I'd be interested in getting together with a player or two for a raid run near NW airfield and/or surrounding towns. I left my char near Stary Sobor so anyone traversing the mid-map give me a shout here, on the steam group or on mumble.

palindrome
29-05-2012, 08:43 PM
6 days old and still breathing. Even though I am now actually seaking people out I still can't seem to find anyone. I have made 2 runs to balota airfield now and just did a sweep of Cherno to get myself a new skin and didn't see a single person. I may have to resort to standing on the air control tower at the NW airfeild waving a flare.

Barbed wire is a real nuisance now, a tool kit is becoming a necessity.

Does anyone know where ghillie suits spawn? Camo clothes seems to spawn in apartment buildings a lot.

Edit: it seems that a new patch has started rolling out and is currently being stress tested.
Changelog:
* [FIXED] Long (sometimes infinite) loading times
* [FIXED] Saving sometimes will not happen
* [FIXED] Vehicles not initialized reliably on servers running multiple instances
* [FIXED] Very poor framerate on servers after some time (dead bodies causing it)
* [NEW] Server Side Architecture completely rewritten

This should be a massive improvement.

Rauten
29-05-2012, 11:46 PM
* [FIXED] Very poor framerate on servers after some time (dead bodies causing it)

Well whaddayaknow, maybe that's the issue plaguing my DayZ playtime? will have to give it a whirl. Thanks for the heads up.

Rig
30-05-2012, 02:12 AM
The 1.7 patch is great. No more Waiting For Server Response Simulator 2012.

Sarlac
30-05-2012, 05:26 AM
That's good news indeed! Only 9 hours of work to go and I'll see for myself...

billyphuz
30-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Rad that we both survived the airfield (albeit barely). That's my first time making out of there alive.

thebigJ_A
30-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Pop into a sub-channel such as Aaaarrgh and you should see a number of people. Normally players jump into sub channels in order to co-ordinate their immediate groups actions (imagine having everyone on one big channel - what a nightmare). Don't be afraid we won't bite (or shoot...actually scrap that as accidental deaths do happen). Just hop in and have fun. Also many of us are in the UK so we normally operate between 6pm-11pm GMT.

That was what I meant by sub-groups. there's be a single person in AAArgh or whatever, none in most of the others, and one lone person in a different sub channel.

I suppose it's the timezone difference. I generally play from 11pm to 6 am (not continuously), which would be something like 4 am to eleven in England, I think? I guess this won't work out, unless more non-UK people join up. Bummer.

Nim.Was.Taken
30-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Look what I found.
I'll just poke into the factory and look for some parts...
Factory 1km north of Dolina, FI 1.

SnowLeopardJB
30-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Are we all updating to 1.7? I had some great fun yesterday, and will definitely join you again soon! I will mostly be on during the weekends, since I get really busy during the week.

Mr Wonderstuff
30-05-2012, 04:14 PM
@Nim what is it with the barbed wire...is that something players are doing just piss off everyone else?

@SnowLeopardJB I have updated not sure if it's compatible with servers running 1.6.

karmakgb
30-05-2012, 06:31 PM
@thebigJ_A I am also in the US Eastern time zone and play around those times. Been looking for a group (or even one other person) to play with. Great game but I've only found one person who didn't try to kill me on sight so far. Too bad since I really just want to help. Haha.

I'm definitely going to install Mumble and see if I can get in a game with some RPSers. Seem like stand-up guys (and girls) all around.

Edit: Oh yeah... my name in the game is Oklahoma Jones.

palindrome
30-05-2012, 11:07 PM
1.7 seems to be broken for me, I can't seem to connect to servers. All I get is a seemingly infinite loading screen that I need to kill with task manager.

Scuzzball
30-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Hey, anyone have a toolkit for trade? I'm on the east coast, near Solnichniy. I have some blood packs, and a few smoke grenades.

vfig
30-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Solnichniy has a lot of industrial spawns in it. I would think it'd be a good place to find a toolbox.

thebigJ_A
31-05-2012, 05:02 AM
@thebigJ_A I am also in the US Eastern time zone and play around those times. Been looking for a group (or even one other person) to play with. Great game but I've only found one person who didn't try to kill me on sight so far. Too bad since I really just want to help. Haha.

I'm definitely going to install Mumble and see if I can get in a game with some RPSers. Seem like stand-up guys (and girls) all around.

Edit: Oh yeah... my name in the game is Oklahoma Jones.

Hey, man! I'm Joe in-game. Yup, just "Joe". I've been playing on Virginia 13 a bunch, because it's day during rl night, the guy running the server plays a lot and communicates with us, there's a goodly number of friendly players, and tents are relatively stable there. Unfortunately there aren't any vehicles on that particular server yet, which is true for many I'm told. And it's a beta server, meaning you need the latest Arma II beta patch (which I recommend, though it takes some work getting it to run with Steam, because it's going to be mandatory soon anyway and it fixes a lot).

I bounce around a lot, though, so any server works for me so long as it's day. We should try meeting up. And hopefully you aren't a meta-gaming bandit laying a trap for me. ;)

thebigJ_A
31-05-2012, 05:11 AM
1.7 seems to be broken for me, I can't seem to connect to servers. All I get is a seemingly infinite loading screen that I need to kill with task manager.

Most servers aren't running 1.7 yet, as it's not fully released. On top of that, each server has to be updated to it manually. Most haven't gotten it in order to do so.

palindrome
31-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Most servers aren't running 1.7 yet, as it's not fully released. On top of that, each server has to be updated to it manually. Most haven't gotten it in order to do so.

Quite a few had updated yesterday, I can still join 1.6.0.1 servers but when I join the game I basically get get kicked off.

Bobbeh
31-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Hey guys,
1.7 is quicker but still seems to have a few problems at the moment. Backpacks aren't spawning and loads of us got dumped back at the coast for no reason yesterday. Funnily enough loads of people spawning near to each other with decent gear didn't work out well for everyone, me included :(.

Mr Wonderstuff
31-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Quite a few had updated yesterday, I can still join 1.6.0.1 servers but when I join the game I basically get get kicked off.

Daft question and I know you have done this. But have you replaced both files for 1.7 supplied? I made a rather daft mistake of replacing just the PBO file and was getting kicked. Then realised there was another, cos I am blond and bit daft.

thebigJ_A
31-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Hey guys,
1.7 is quicker but still seems to have a few problems at the moment. Backpacks aren't spawning and loads of us got dumped back at the coast for no reason yesterday. Funnily enough loads of people spawning near to each other with decent gear didn't work out well for everyone, me included :(.

People got dumped back to the coast even on the servers that weren't given 1.7

GTaff
31-05-2012, 01:14 PM

Not sure but I think 1.7 requires you to run the ARMA II beta patch (http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php).

Could be wrong though!

Saying all that, I just rolled back to 1.6.0.1 since no loot and spawning at the sea was getting annoying.

karmakgb
31-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Unfortunately (fortunately?), I'm just not that evil. Just a regular "Joe" who wants to get out of the forest and into some real co-op action. Next time I'm likely to play is Friday but I'll get on Mumble and see if I can track you down! You running 1.7 or 1.6.0.1? Not sure if I should roll back or not.

chuckles73
31-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Unless you come across Bobbeh, he shoots people for the fun of it under the guise of an accident, don't trust him.

True story.

thebigJ_A
01-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Unfortunately (fortunately?), I'm just not that evil. Just a regular "Joe" who wants to get out of the forest and into some real co-op action. Next time I'm likely to play is Friday but I'll get on Mumble and see if I can track you down! You running 1.7 or 1.6.0.1? Not sure if I should roll back or not.

I'll be on tonight. I'm playing 1.6.0.1 just because the servers I've been on haven't updated yet. If they do today I'll switch. I hear the connection times are much better. Your mumble name the same?

So, I killed a man today. I've had to before, but this was different. This wasn't a bandit, so far as I could tell, and didn't even know I was there. I didn't want to, but I had to make a split-second decision. I'd teamed up with the one guy I've played co-op with and we set off to meet up with his friend. When we got together, we raided a few barns to get the guy a better gun than his makarov (he was new). Things went bad, and he startled some zeds. We fought them off easy enough, except that one got a lucky hit in and broke the new guy's bones and started him bleeding. We got him up a hill and patched him up, but he was passing out repeatedly. My other friend went off to kill and cook a cow we'd seen over the hill while I guarded the wounded.

After some time, I saw another player looting the same barns we'd been through, down the hill. I kept an eye on him but didn't think much of it, until he started popping off rounds with an enfield and started to get swarmed. He takes off running, directly up the hill I'm on with my wounded partner. I try to hail him in direct, warn him away, but he doesn't react, just keeps leading zeds right towards my helpless mate.

I pulled out my Kobra, thinking to shoot the zombies, but there are too many, I know I won't get them all in time, and I don't know how this guy will react. I fired, and the guy goes down. The zeds are on him, and I can pick them off at leisure. I can still see him fall, crawl a ways, then die. I feel terrible.

This game is amazing!

officeape
01-06-2012, 03:54 PM
I'll be on tonight. I'm playing 1.6.0.1 just because the servers I've been on haven't updated yet. If they do today I'll switch. I hear the connection times are much better. Your mumble name the same?

So, I killed a man today. I've had to before, but this was different. This wasn't a bandit, so far as I could tell, and didn't even know I was there. I didn't want to, but I had to make a split-second decision. I'd teamed up with the one guy I've played co-op with and we set off to meet up with his friend. When we got together, we raided a few barns to get the guy a better gun than his makarov (he was new). Things went bad, and he startled some zeds. We fought them off easy enough, except that one got a lucky hit in and broke the new guy's bones and started him bleeding. We got him up a hill and patched him up, but he was passing out repeatedly. My other friend went off to kill and cook a cow we'd seen over the hill while I guarded the wounded.

After some time, I saw another player looting the same barns we'd been through, down the hill. I kept an eye on him but didn't think much of it, until he started popping off rounds with an enfield and started to get swarmed. He takes off running, directly up the hill I'm on with my wounded partner. I try to hail him in direct, warn him away, but he doesn't react, just keeps leading zeds right towards my helpless mate.

I pulled out my Kobra, thinking to shoot the zombies, but there are too many, I know I won't get them all in time, and I don't know how this guy will react. I fired, and the guy goes down. The zeds are on him, and I can pick them off at leisure. I can still see him fall, crawl a ways, then die. I feel terrible.

This game is amazing!

Good stuff! =)

karmakgb
01-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Yeah, good story!

Had an interesting day myself. Started out loaded down with an M4A3, ALICE pack full of meat and meds, and at least 13 clips of STANAG ammo. Felt good about myself except now I was worried about dying far more than before. Didn't like that at all...

So, of course, the game immediately starts out bugged and I'm magically teleported from a far-flung farm in the northwest to the beach near Elektro. Great... No choice but to start heading north again. Long story short, planes start spawning and explosions randomly occur; along with other bugs, this server kills my character. At first, I was prepared to be upset but I actually felt a bit relieved. Having nothing but a Makarov allowed me to head to Cherno for the first time (I've heard it's such a death trap that I never bothered to go).

First time I head there I meet up with a random guy who seems like a bit of a noob (I assume it takes at least one life to be a hardened asshole killer) and enjoy showing him the ropes and we make for Cherno to grab some blood. On the way there, my computer (and the server) completely crash. Definitely was not a surprise, what with all the jets spawning.

Later that night, I'm about to call it quits when someone hears my Winchester in Cherno and asks if I want to team up. Since I don't have much of anything, I say "Sure, what the hell." Turns out, this guy and his friend who we met up with in Elektro are very cool and total team players. Not bad for the first time I actually play with another human for more than 10 minutes. Very different (and more fun) experience from the solo survival stuff I was doing.

At the end of my session, I split off from them to check out a deer stand. As I get closer, I see a fire through the trees. Over the side channel, I ask if they started the fire. Nope. Then I see two bandits moving quickly behind a barn towards the deer stand. No response on the channel... I laughed in the chat at the two obvious trolls who were thinking to get me. Have to be a bit stealthier than that to get me. Or just spawn behind me like everyone else. Haha.

Definitely expect to be on tonight. Do 1.7.0. It might spawn you on the beach but it's much faster. And, yes, I'm Oklahoma Jones on Mumble (and Steam). See you around there!

palindrome
02-06-2012, 03:22 PM
I managed to die today after 9 days. Basically I ran out of bandages, I started with 4 of the damn things but 4 zombies in a row managed to make me bleed. I managed to bleed out about 15000 blood (I had a backpack full of meat) and finally died in the doorway of the Krasnostav supermarket (quite possibly lying on some bandages). My second life lasted about an hour and just as I had found all I needed bar some camo I was looting a cafe when heard a coke can being opened. Who ever it was probably heard my footsteps at the same time, I go prone next to a wall covering the stairs in case the guy was upstairs, unfortunatley he wasn't as he went round the side of the building and shot me through the window.

karmakgb
03-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Good game today, all you bandit lads outside of Elektro. Haha. You got to practice your sniping and I got to practice being bait! Poor Brandon (2)... In any case, happy to run around again (as long as you're covering me) anytime. Never been to Stary Sobor... Anyone up to try? I wouldn't go there alone anymore than I'd go to Elektro. Ha!

Sarlac
03-06-2012, 02:49 AM
African freedom force, aka Ugandan Liberation front.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/Sarlac/DAYZ/arma2oa2012-06-0210-42-14-08.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/Sarlac/DAYZ/arma2oa2012-06-0210-43-14-19.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/Sarlac/DAYZ/arma2oa2012-06-0210-56-08-61.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/Sarlac/DAYZ/arma2oa2012-06-0210-47-46-54.jpg

Sarlac
03-06-2012, 02:53 AM
Behold the ULF

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/Sarlac/DAYZ/arma2oa2012-06-0210-56-08-61.jpg

billyphuz
03-06-2012, 04:14 AM
Behold the ULF

That is absolutely amazing.

motherpuncher
03-06-2012, 05:40 AM
You's guys started a bandit party?

GrinningD
03-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Now that was fun.

NEVER post the video...

Sarlac
03-06-2012, 09:40 AM
You's guys started a bandit party?

wooooooooooooooooooooooooo

love bodge

/too much tasty sarcasm in my post for you?

Artifex00
03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Now that was fun.

NEVER post the video...

We claimed Stary with no casualties.....

GrinningD
03-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Now that IS good to know.

Of course now I am marooned on a hill near Stary all on my lonesome...

neema_t
04-06-2012, 12:37 AM
I only started Day Z last night, which turned out to be an (obviously) bad idea because it was so dark. Managed to connect to an Ohio server with minimal lag which was great fun, but today I had a proper go. Loads happened which is probably quite mundane by everyone elses' standards so I won't go on about it, I haven't gotten far off the coast (Tulga is as far as I got inland without a map, having the coastline in sight makes it easier to navigate) and the best loot I've found is a Winchester and an M107 magazine, which was cool because it means there's an M107 out there somewhere which would be a bloody lovely thing to have. The worst thing that happened to me was falling 6ft (didn't look like a long drop), being knocked out by the fall and attracting a load of zombies in the process, my KO timer was moving excruciatingly slowly and I bled out before I could wake up. Also a zombie not only spotted me through a wall, but also attacked me through it, which was really bloody annoying as I had been sneaking around like a sneaky sneaky thing up to that point.

Anyway, I've parked myself to the northwest of Komarovo, just inside the treeline up the hill. Next time I'm on (tomorrow) I intend to check out the big buildings by the coast there, move to Balota airfield, through the medical camp there, on to Cherno (the fire station and hospital in particular) and then either Nadezhdino or Kozlovka. I imagine that'll take up most of the time I have tomorrow. If anyone wants to join me I have some supplies I scavenged off a dead freshly spawned boy on the coast so I have a couple of spare Makarov magazines and a tin of food or two. Noobs welcome, I'm pretty much one myself but I have quite a lot of play time on Arma II so I at least have that experience. Right now I'm going to go exploring the aforementioned areas in the Armoury mode with a Little Bird to just get an idea of what looks interesting and what doesn't. Is that cheating?

Battle Programmer Spike
04-06-2012, 10:34 AM
I started playing a few days ago with a friend of mine. Besides the quirky bugs and something classified as "almost killed by that... tree?"(never go prone between a tree and a stone/wall/another tree it ends being quite shocking and painful) so far we have been alive for what, 17 hours? My first life, btw. My friend got 2-3 short previous lifes of around 2 hours at most before he decided to gift me ArmA 2 CO and use me as bait or something like that.
We have been raiding barns, deer stands near Bor, the hospital in Cherno, back to bor and then to some other places and until today we successfully avoided other players just in case. Then we decided to raid the supermarket in Zelenogorsk, making a stop in a nearby barn at the south. While we were inside, we heard some shooting quite far away so we hurried up with the loot and went to the nearby forest to use our binoculars and see what was happening. Turns out it was 2 people having problem with zombies near the industrial complex so we thought "meh, they will be dead soon judging from their bleeding and seeing one of em is unconscious" then I proceed to sneak into the market now that the zombies had been lured away from the shooting while my friend kept guard from a nearby wall on the road, with his AKM and binoculars. I find a bit of food, a new bag, tell my friend to come here and get the basic bag I left behind (he lost his own in a bizarre bug picking up a weapon). The only little problem is... I'm surprised on the way back to the guarding spot by 2-3 zombies, and I start running.
Now... remember the 2 guys having trouble before? seems like they thought the same and sneaked into the market while we were dealing with the zombies on our own. We finish em up and go back to the market to find out it's surrounded by a horde of zombies in the front... when we see someone inside. My friend wants to shoot the guy but I refrain him from doing so pointing out the horde and saying I'll take a detour to the back of the market and sneak in. Once I'm somewhat close I manage to see the guy coming out, then the second... and then a third completely unexpected one. I quickly go prone, slide away from the place up to our hiding spot, where we decided to run somewhere with more cover and check on em. Turns out they were 5 so we quickly run away to the forest as a precaution and took a huge detour to the Grüner Berg and the 3 deer stands were we found a sweet silenced M9, a Coyote Backpack (24 slots <3) and ammo for our weapons.

rhizo
04-06-2012, 11:12 AM
...I intend to check out the big buildings by the coast there, move to Balota airfield, through the medical camp there, on to Cherno (the fire station and hospital in particular)...

I'll give you a few options, depending on what you're aiming to do:

Gather good loot with minimal risk: Head inland and loot dear stands. That or team up with people who are willing to fast track you to good gear.

Repeatedly empty your Makarov in panicky fire fights: You seem to have this plan covered already :).

Do a quick and daring day-light raid and escape with the spoils: Elektro and Cherno fire houses are good targets. Except for the happy ending that is.

PK like the best of them: The plan above, except this time you're the predator.

Farm loot in the barracks up north until you get the assault rifle of your dreams: Team up, head north, pick up gear on the way. Farming is not as dull as it sounds in this game though still gamey as hell.

PvP with good gear: Pick a plausible plan from above for the gear. Then head to hotspots in the north.

It's a fun game, just don't take it too seriously when you die.

neema_t
04-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I've died plenty of times, most of the time being my mistake or other players, and others were just freak glitches (falling off a ladder whilst climbing down was one, being found through walls and zombies spawning on me are others).

I'm kind of in a bind at the moment, I disconnected while I was bleeding and broken (out of pure panic) and now when I log back in I've got a very slow KO timer and I'm bleeding out. I'm just to the south of the supermarket in Cherno, so if any particularly charitable humans would like to revive me (I presume I can be bandaged while in this state) so I can carry on I can give you an AKM with a full mag and a partially empty one, it was that bloody thing that got me in that situation to begin with. Any takers? I don't really want to die as I've spent three hours crawling around Cherno to gather stuff, but I guess someone will either help me or execute me and take my stuff anyway so it's wide open.

Oklahoma Jones
04-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Just wanted to say to whoever created the Stan Bush/Vince diCola/Transformers sub room on the RPS Mumble: I love you.

You got the touch!

Bodge
04-06-2012, 09:09 PM
wooooooooooooooooooooooooo

love bodge

/too much tasty sarcasm in my post for you?

No, just too much treading on dodgy territory

DoomMunky
05-06-2012, 04:02 AM
What a great community this is! I just logged into the UK_EX server and had my first human contact. It was nail-bitingly intense. We found each other at a barn and used the in-game 'nearby' chat function to establish we're both friendly. Then there was the SUPER INTENSE part where we actually started travelling with each other. I finally broke the tension I was feeling by saying "Look, I know I already said this, but I have no interest in shooting you. I hope you don't either, so just...uh, know that, okay?" and he chuckles and goes, "It's cool man. I wanna go into Chernorsk and shoot everyone there, so you may not wanna be around for that, but until then, I don't want to shoot you."

He then led me into my first city and taught me more about the interface and we found me a shotgun and looted a supermarket and it was all really exciting and tense. And the whole time, he didn't shoot me!

Nim.Was.Taken
05-06-2012, 04:45 AM
What a great community this is! I just logged into the UK_EX server and had my first human contact. It was nail-bitingly intense. We found each other at a barn and used the in-game 'nearby' chat function to establish we're both friendly. Then there was the SUPER INTENSE part where we actually started travelling with each other. I finally broke the tension I was feeling by saying "Look, I know I already said this, but I have no interest in shooting you. I hope you don't either, so just...uh, know that, okay?" and he chuckles and goes, "It's cool man. I wanna go into Chernorsk and shoot everyone there, so you may not wanna be around for that, but until then, I don't want to shoot you."

He then led me into my first city and taught me more about the interface and we found me a shotgun and looted a supermarket and it was all really exciting and tense. And the whole time, he didn't shoot me!

He probably wanted to sex you up bro. It gets lonely in a zombie apocalypse.

Battle Programmer Spike
05-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Aaaaaand we finally died. Me and my friend were looking for the deerstand near Kabanino when someone suddenly shot me from afar and while my friend was trying to take my backpack for himself asap... he closed the distance and shot him as well. We lost a MP5 SD, a M9 SD, a Winchester 1866, 6 packs of blood, assorted food and beverage, tools et all. That BR guy hit the mother load with us, lol. We clocked around 18-19 hours alive, I think. Pretty good for a first duo attempt.

neema_t
05-06-2012, 01:43 PM
The life I'm on now has been so much better and more fun than the others, though the one I had before this was quite fun because it felt a bit like I was escaping from Cherno (because I was). This one has involved me traveling north from Kamenka with and without company along the way. It's fascinating how everyone has their own story of how they got to where they are, it really is awesome, but once again I haven't done anything remarkable so I won't go into the specifics. I did have my whole world turned upside down when I managed to bump into a stranger in the middle of a forest, though, I always thought forests were safe. Luckily he turned out to be friendly, but good god I was terrified all the same, so much so that when he and I 'confirmed' that we weren't going to shoot each other (I think my M1911 to his Makarov put him off the idea anyway) I said 'Right, I'll be on my way then' and sprinted off into the forest like a right loon. Servers with direct comms only really, really heighten the sense of paranoia and loneliness, it must be said. Terrifying.

Metalfish
05-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Finally got my hands on a silenced weapon: M9 with three mags. I'm hanging around North of Petrovka (for its tasty tasty water supply). This combined with my M4 CCO and top level backpack mean I'm more or less at the top tier of loot in the game, aside from the stuff found in the super rare chopper spawns and NVGs). I always seem to log on too far away to join in with the RPS silliness though.

Artifex00
05-06-2012, 08:56 PM
RPS silliness tends to lead to you loosing all that great stuff you've accumulated though chum :)

Battle Programmer Spike
05-06-2012, 10:07 PM
But, but... silliness!!!

Metalfish
05-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Oh and, on one server alone, I was able to find around 20 tents. People tend to place them around the North Western edge of the map. Off the edge of the paper map, generally. Not much worth stealing though. On the right server you'll clean up I suspect.

Rig
06-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Speaking of tents, some of us found this near Prud Lake.

http://i.imgur.com/EFsjA.jpg

There's like twenty tents there, all empty. Smells like duping.

purdz
06-06-2012, 11:11 AM
We were all having terrible trouble with Desync on pretty much every server we tried last night, usually it happens occasionally but this was constant lag, people warping around and it was evident to the 5 people playing in our group so im afraid my penchant for downloading goat porn wasn't the cause as was suggested. Obviously playing alone you wouldn't necessarily have noticed this but did any one else in a group experience it?

Obviously being an Alpha test this is to be expected, was just wondering if anyone had similar issues around 7-10pm GMT?

wormball
06-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Yeah it got really bad last night, we must have tried 15 different servers (busy/quiet/all over the world) in half an hour and they were all the same.

palindrome
06-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I've basically given up on this game now. The survival elements are simply boring given that there isn't really anything to actually do and the bean wars on the coast are simply tedious. Plus I keep getting killed by bugs.

I may come back to this when it hits beta as it has potential but as it is its just a massive time sink.

purdz
07-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Key to stop that is when you spawn don't go along the coast, head directly inland. The only time i'll venture into one of the coastal towns now is if i've spawned on a sparsely populated server or we have just seen someone head in with a gun I want.

I love how the game has evolved so far, i'll admit a few of us are proper wankers towards other players now. If we see someone raiding a building we wanted to search we will shoot them. If we see someone running too close to us or if it looks like they might have spotted us we shoot them. If we see anyone around the military camps that aren't part of our group we shoot them. This has developed because we've been on the wrong end of this encounter too many times.

We for the most part have all the gear we need now but everyone knows that all it takes is someone to get the drop on you or for you to hesitate a little too long and you could have nothing within seconds, its just not worth the risk now. Obviously sometimes we kill someone and their friends who have got behind us kill us, i don't mind or care really. After the initial disappointment of being killed wears off the game starts again. A few times recently i've lucked upon a person with all the gear I had and I've then managed to kill them with a pistol, saves me time and effort and I can go back to enjoying the game with the group. The rate at which food and water drop now makes it essential to carry plenty of food with you or even to have to venture into towns to look for stuff. Again killing others can help you avoid this.

Great fun tonight and now with the server updates we found a car! RPS will have wheels once again!

Kefirz
07-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Hey prudz what is your in-game nick? because I haven't seen you playing around.

vfig
07-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I’d been getting a little tired of the repeated Stary Sobor/NW Airfield raids, so instead of joining up with other RPSers last night, I came up with a silly plan: to go live like a hermit on Skalisty island in the south east. It has a couple of lootable buildings and a well (but sadly no deer stands), and so would be livable.

The problem is, it’s a five minute fast swim from the mainland (longer if slow swimming), and every time I tried swimming, I would lose my pack and almost all my inventory in under five minutes. I needed a boat.

That's where the update yesterday comes in—if cars were spawning, maybe boats would too. I was on FI 2, making my way East to Nizhnoye, as I’d heard rumours that a boat might spawn there. Sometimes things go horribly wrong in DayZ, but occasionally, if you’re really, really lucky, everything goes right.

I started off with a stroke of bad luck: in the woods in the middle of nowhere, stopping to make coffee, I went prone under a tree and somehow managed to break a bone. I used up the last of my morphine and painkillers, but failed to notice that I was bleeding until I was down to about 3000 blood. After that, I guess the game decided I'd had enough bad luck for a while.

I stopped to loot a deer stand on the way, and it had a GPS in it! After dark, I got to Nizhnoye, which was deserted, and it had not one boat at the docks, but two! And they only needed fuel, no repairs! And the barn near the docks had a jerrycan in it! I put one can into one of the boats, then headed south to the factory between Nizhnoye and Solnichniy to see if I could refill it or find a second can. And I found a cow (which I desperately needed to get my blood levels back up)!

A quick aside regarding this Small Boat II: the only way to get off it is into the water behind it, so if you're planning to check out its fuel levels, make sure you drop your pack, binocs, and upper inventory slot items beforehand, so you don't lose them all when swimming back to land afterwards. I had dropped everything else before as a precaution, but forgot to drop my binocs and so lost those.

I filled the can and was returning to the boat when I noticed someone had popped a flare back at the factory behind me. I decided I couldn’t hang around Nizhnoye any longer, but got in the boat and headed straight east, planning to turn south only when the land was out of sight. Here's where my GPS find would prove itself invaluable: I could make my way to the island without having to follow the coastline. Looking behind me as I left, I saw after a few minutes a figure running along the coast: presumably he of the earlier flare. I don’t know if he saw or heard me, but I was fairly distant, and he didn’t shoot at all.

It turns out that the "Small Boat II" is quite slow--14 kph when you hold shift, and uses up fuel relatively quickly. So I pulled the boat back into shore just north of Solnichniy’s bridge to refuel at the petrol station there. Fortunately the boat is also relatively quiet, so it didn't attract any zombies. I made three quick runs with the jerrycan (the boat only has a 30 litre tank, it seems, so two runs to fill it and a third to refill the jerrycan for emergencies) without incident. While I was doing this, I noticed my body temperature icon was flashing red, and the debug monitor said 30 degrees! I guess driving a boat at night is a great way to cool off. Fortunately I had a heat pack on me for a cosy instant fix.

I also noticed that there was a repairable van at the petrol station in Solnichniy, but it needed wheels, and engine parts, and so on, and anyway I wouldn’t be able to get it on the boat. So I left it alone.

The rest of the trip was uneventful. I continued south past Krutoy Cap to the island, stopped the boat on the south shore (out of sight from the mainland), and went ashore to light a fire to warm up by (my body temperature had hit 31 degrees again) and cook the cow.

So now I have my own private island! RPSers are welcome to visit, but anyone else will receive a welcome gift in the form of high speed lead, I am afraid.

palindrome
07-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Key to stop that is when you spawn don't go along the coast, head directly inland. The only time i'll venture into one of the coastal towns now is if i've spawned on a sparsely populated server or we have just seen someone head in with a gun I want.

I've done that, I have had a character that lasted 9 days living in the woods. The problem is though that raiding deer stands and supermarkets for essentially the same loot over and over again just doesn't do much to hold my interest. I want to be able to build some kind of shelter, clear out a town, some kind of objective beyond simple survival. I have been in Stary raids and Airefield raids but thats a similar story.

When I eventually died I tried looting Cherno and Elektro and it really has become a deathmatch game, there are bodies everywhere and every single person I saw now shoots on sight (including the guy who spawned next to me on the beach). When I first started I spent about 2 hours in Cherno and I eventually met up with about 6 people who formed a (completely useless) group to do some looting, there was some banditry but there was a lot of openness as well. Now no one even bothers asking if you are friendlly anymore and the game seems to have become very insular.

I didn't pay much attention to the 'deathmatch' claims that keep being made on the DayZ forums but now that I have seen it for myself I am forced to agree and it is damaging the game. I'm not sure what can be done about it without damaging the basic concept of the game though.

purdz
07-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Hey prudz what is your in-game nick? because I haven't seen you playing around.

My in game name is snipes. I usually play with Bobbeh, NaZeR and GT but we've been playing alot with the RPS guys recently.

I usually mention it in posts but hadn't recently, wouldn't mind changing my forum name to this too but no bother really.

I know what you're talking with the boredom factor, it does get very repetitive and it is a massive time sink and yes the instant killing of people now that the bandit skin consequence has been removed does turn the game into a sort of Deathmatch every now and then, but to be honest with direct comms on the beta servers I have had many occasions where I've announced myself before walking into a building to find friendly people inside. It's the fear of the kill or be killed scenario that has come about since the removal of the bandit skin. I'm looking forward to finding out what Rocket has in store to replace this system.

The bit that interests me still though is when you do the raids at stary and then set up camp to watch for other groups of people. It's pretty tense when you see someone run along the other side of town and then disappear only to hear gunshots close to you a few seconds later. That's why I still enjoy the game anyway, the rush you get from a tense standoff / gunfight all the while trying to not die as the consequences are so dire.

Also I always bear in mind that we're playing an Alpha that just happens to have become very popular, as game mechanics change and as stuff is added it adds an element of fun and exploration to the game. I'm still looking to get a gillie suit for my character, I have the camo but it's not enough so my quest involves searching for something like that. Now that vehicles have been added again we are trying to fix one up so that's another little side quest to go on all the while having to remember the grind for food and water, which luckily i can avoid for a few days thanks to a load of slots in my alice pack being taken up with beans ;)

palindrome
07-06-2012, 01:35 PM
I will come back to it I am sure but as it stands it just doesn't justify the time that it demands.

Kefirz
07-06-2012, 07:59 PM
So today I was walking around the fertile fields of Chernarus and I found a perspective machinery - a tractor. And instantly dreams about our ARPS collective farm came to my head. The image of fertile fields with *cough* shrooms *cough* to help the struggle of the working class came rushing in, but as soon as I got in that tractor rolled down the hill and went in a tree, ultimately blowing up in a huge fireball shattering my dreams about our kolhoz.

Here is a photo taken with my own зени́т

http://i50.tinypic.com/jfxelj.jpg

billyphuz
08-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I've had to take a break from this game; system overload. But I might get back how that vee-hicles have been re-introduced, if I can rally a crew and some jerry cans.

Meantime, I was thinking: you remember those xXx[420 NoScopez]xXx parody vids from a while back? Check out this one if not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw&feature=fvwrel

Anyway, someone with some video skills should totally make one for for Day Z.

Grey2ham
09-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Not quite sure which bit of the forum to put this in. Anyway to all the RPS guys on mumble in our camp: Please don't take my motorbike out for rides! I keep it near the camp in a tree. Thanks. G

Artifex00
09-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Erm there was a motorbike there I think someone had an accident in it :(

neema_t
09-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Theft! I never knew there were motorbikes, damn I want one. I haven't really played since they reinstated vehicles though.

Oklahoma Jones
10-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Well, if a zombie apocalypse happens to break out in the DayZ walking simulator, RPS is extremely ready. The camp is absolutely stacked. Hopefully, some new game mechanics (dirty words?) will make all that hoarding worthwhile. Until then... squirrel away!

And find me a new ghillie suit :P

Nim.Was.Taken
10-06-2012, 06:19 AM
SOP For Vehicles @ Base-Camp Uganda:

- You are responsible for any vehicle you check out of the BCU car-park.

- People carrier capacity ranges from 2 to 7 ULF members.

- If you only have 2 persons, don't take the bleeping UAZ; take the Truck or one of the ATVs.

- Seriously, don't take the UAZ.

- These vehicles are property of the ULF; they do not belong to you. Please, please, please, try to bring them back to the camp before you log off. If you have no choice but to leave a vehicle stranded somewhere on the map, make sure your ULF brothers know where it is so they can retrieve it.

- Make sure you have enough gas to make it to your destination and back.

- to be continued...

Metalfish
10-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Vehicles are back? And we have a camp? That might be enough to bring me back this weekend. I'm rocking a good amount of supplies so I won't be needing to take anything, but it'd be good to have something to aim for when I inevitably kark it.

purdz
10-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Sounds good Nim, I'd like to add to that.

DON'T DRIVE NEAR THE TENTS! someone flattened one yesterday and left the ATV in the middle of the hill.

Once you've been in a tent and changed its contents make sure you hit 'save old camping tent' from the scroll menu.

Same applies to vehicles once you've been in it and get out save the vehicle usually the option appears halfway down the left side of the vehicle. Just hit save wherever your are when you get out of the vehicle.

The tent BEHIND the bus is an 'honour tent' as in people will dump all their stuff in there pre-raid so that they don't lose anything if they die. DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING OUT OF THIS TENT THAT YOU YOURSELF DIDN'T PUT IN! Even if it's a shiny gps.

Oklahoma Jones
11-06-2012, 01:19 AM
Vehicles are back? And we have a camp? That might be enough to bring me back this weekend. I'm rocking a good amount of supplies so I won't be needing to take anything, but it'd be good to have something to aim for when I inevitably kark it.

There is a camp. And it's exceedingly ridiculous.

Battle Programmer Spike
11-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Define ridiculous.

purdz
11-06-2012, 10:54 AM
By ridiculous he means we're well into double digits for vehicle count (2 wheels, 4 wheels and boats) and we have a lot of tents all for different categories of items, i.e. ammo tents, rifle tents, shotgun tents, pistol tents. Notice I used 'tents' rather than tent, this is because most of the ammo tents and gun tents are full and thus more tents were needed. We also have more food, water, medical items, tools and fuel than you could possibly want.

Driving to the airfields for raids is a long and buggy process but much quicker than the usual slog on foot.

RPS has a DayZ navy!

Battle Programmer Spike
11-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Lol, interesting. Btw... does anyone have a spare tent I could grab/trade?. We are in the process of looking for one with my friend Yetaman, and we are quite unlucky. We finally found and picked one up yesterday then the server crashed... and I had a backpack with 3 empty slots after that :/