PDA

View Full Version : Farewell, and Good Luck, Tomek Gop

Ignorant Texan
21-06-2011, 07:45 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35361/The_Witcher_2_Producer_Tomek_Gop_Leaves_CD_Projekt .php

SirKicksalot
21-06-2011, 09:25 PM
CD Projekt already lost a lot of people that worked on The Witcher.

Some of them, as of mid-2010:

Lobotomist
22-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Hmmm.... where you got this info ? (about all those people)

It really saddens me that CDR is in dire straits. After game as Witcher 2 that got almost perfect reviews and naught but love from PC community.

If this is true. Than PC gaming is truly heading towards grave.

Time to buy xbox

Wolfenswan
22-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Tomasz wrote in the comments:

Hi, just a quick note from me. I did in fact leave CD Projekt RED. The Witcher 2 X360 is in works and shaping up good - I'm a producer, not project lead so I'm still quite confident guys will make it. My reasons were mainly personal - we're still friends with CDP and there's no bad blood.
About leaving the industry... though possible, I wouldn't bet it. It's addictive... :)

Is CDR in dire straits? they might be losing people but afaik they aren't in any financial danger.

Vexing Vision
22-06-2011, 11:04 AM
With GOG expanding like crazy and Witcher 2 outselling expectations, I'd be really surprised if CDR would be in dire straits.

It's a shame to see Gop go, he has been a driving force there. I hope the guys manage to fill that gap.

Heh. Gop-gap. Gap of Gop. I'll stop now.

Joseph
22-06-2011, 12:02 PM
I liked him :(
Shame he's gone, in all the videos I saw him in he seemed a very confident speaker and more down to earth than many other representatives of companies (I'm talking about the ones that enthuse about their own games like a 5 year old over bright colours). I wonder what he'll do next.

Ignorant Texan
22-06-2011, 02:37 PM
'Losing' people after a game is released is a relatively common occurrence. While this is mere speculation on my part, a lot of the production staff was probably on a contract that expired when the Witcher 2 went gold. I also would think that the ones who left would be in demand, and would find another job/contract pretty easily. This may be wishful thinking on my part, but I prefer this line of though to others.

As to Tomasz(my apologies for spelling his first name incorrectly, I grabbed it from the Gamasutra article) Gop leaving, his note in the Gamasutra' comments thread I'll except at face-value. After ~10 years of involvement with the Witcher, he may have been ready for something different. I know I'd be.

TillEulenspiegel
22-06-2011, 03:23 PM
That's a terrible way to run a game development studio. If you're big enough to have more than a handful of employees, you should always have more projects in the pipeline. Art's done in Game A? Great, move the artists over to Game B. Treating employees like contractors is pretty shitty, and Reason #312 why so many good people haven't the slightest desire to work for most AAA game developers.

Ignorant Texan
22-06-2011, 04:19 PM
TillEulenspiegel -

As I stated, this is speculation on my part. The only friend that I know who worked on a game(he spent 18 months in swamps recording environmental sounds) was given the choice of making $9 an hour without even crappy health insurance versus $250 a day on contract, with the knowledge that if he chose the employee route, he'd be laid-off when his part of the project was finished. I don't believe it is difficult to guess which he chose.

UPDATE:Vexing Vision does a much better job further down of explaining short-duration contracts than I ever could. I also removed a comment that could be viewed as inflammatory as it added nothing to this discussion.

DigitalSignalX
22-06-2011, 04:19 PM
In other speculative trolling news, I wonder if the key to his retirement is buried beneath two lines of text in the article:

"an Xbox 360 version announced."

"In a Gamasutra feature last month, Gop explained that (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34692/CD_Projekt_How_We_Combined_Story_And_Freedom_In_Th e_Witcher_2.php) the most important part of developing a game is delivering a quality overall experience for the player. "

*rimshot*

Vexing Vision
22-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Till, in big games development, you need a lot of people at crunch periods for three or four months. That's when the work needs to be done, integrated, fixed. Hiring people for six months while keeping a skeleton crew on for the next project is just how this works.

Really big developers can afford to have several big projects running in crunchtime after each other. I think of Bethesda, for example.

Sometimes, really exceptional people will be taken on board. Othertimes, these contractors will be taken without second thought for the next crunch period.

It's a bit like the film industry, you know. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and it's great for building reputation and experience with a lot of different developers. Once you're in the credits of something, it's very easy to keep getting similar jobs - I know a lot of people from the pool Codemasters used to work with during crunchtime, and some actually preferred being flexible. They certainly earned enough to take half a year off between projects.

mlaskus
22-06-2011, 05:06 PM
@Ignorant Texan
Tomek is not wrong, it is simply an informal version of Tomasz.