PDA

View Full Version : Rock, Paper, Moon Logic

Althea
22-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Adventure game discussion, of course! I'm sure this can be opened up to more general Point & Click and Hidden Object games, too.

Sparked by the 'news' that GOG have, over the past week or so, added Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/dreamfall_the_longest_journey) and Torin's Passage (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/torins_passage), as well as the upcoming Resonance (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/resonance).

But Dreamfall? $15? Lolnope. It's easy enough to make DRM free, I ain't gonna pay $15 to have another copy of it. But I'll get it in the sale or whatever.

I'm actually looking forward to a few from Daedalic and other EU studios. There's one I've got my eye on called Haunted - anyone played it?

deano2099
22-05-2012, 01:25 PM
I got a lovely boxed copy of Dreamfall so happy to stick with that. Resonance looks great though (and you can get a box for $25, which comes with a Steam key). Never played Torin's Passage, anyone else?

I recently finished Da New Guyz and enjoyed it quite a bit. Unlike a lot of the recent indie AGS releases (Gemini Rue, Blackwell) it really feels indie. That the three main characters sound like one guy doing three different voices turned out to be because they are one guy doing three different voices. The broad cartoony art style screams indie too. But it suits the game - it's funny and silly in concept so it works. And the big animated 3D ending section cut-scene almost feels out of place in that context.

It's a mystery about wrestling, played very broadly (like wrestling) and there's some interesting takes on fights as adventure game puzzles, plus some very knowing bits... and most of the puzzles make sense, and a few play with the conventions of the genre (the fight puzzles, a conversation puzzle). It does have a stealth section though so it's not all good.

I'm having a bit of a Point and Click binge at the moment, catching up on stuff I missed before Resonance. I still have Blackwell, the Sam and Max series (the original and the Telltale stuff), the Star Trek games, finally finish Tales of Monkey Island (played the first two episodes with an ex, finally over her enough to go back to them...) and then try some of the games mentioned in the recent AGS feature. Lots to fit in, I'll post thoughts on here as I play.

Oh I recently reviewed Yesterday at place I don't write for any more too if anyone is interested:
http://gaming.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/790/yesterday.html

Althea
22-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Torin's Passage was one of my first adventure games. Ever. I don't think I ever finished it, but I have a great fondness for it and I've been waiting for the GOG release for a while. I'm hoping I'll be able to get it when I get paid.

I tried Blackwell and Sam & Max, but the sound quality was so poor on both counts that I couldn't. I might try Sam & Max again, though.

Lambchops
23-05-2012, 11:40 PM
@ Althea

The quality of the sam and Max episodes definitely improves from thoe opening one. They aren't uniformly brilliant but there are more than enough excellent moments, clever puzzles and silly gags to make them more than worth playing.

---

I've recently played The Dream Machine and have been meaning to eventually getting around to playing Gemini Rue.

Rauten
23-05-2012, 11:55 PM
It appears that one thing to keep in mind with TellTale's episodic offerings is, the first one is always the worst.

deano2099
24-05-2012, 12:14 AM
I played the Jane Jenson hidden object game Dying For Daylight and quite enjoyed it. HO scenes with light adventure elements in between. Alas I thought it was going to be twice as long as it was - seriously, you make a game with the over-arching quest being "find these 8 things" and then stop at 4 and say "watch for the sequel!".

nsane
24-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Play 'Adventure - All in the Game'. It's free, medium-lenght, and fun.

Sam N Max games are... strange. Some are GREAT, some are so-so. But worth the time.
Now, the Back to the Future one... stay away from it.

Also, I'm trying to get on very, very old games like Orion's Conspiracy or the Star Trek ones... something space-y. Any tips?

Althea
24-05-2012, 09:14 AM
It appears that one thing to keep in mind with TellTale's episodic offerings is, the first one is always the worst.
Well, I've got nothing better to do in my sad, pathetic life.

:foreveralone:

Ravelle
24-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Play 'Adventure - All in the Game'. It's free, medium-lenght, and fun.

Sam N Max games are... strange. Some are GREAT, some are so-so. But worth the time.
Now, the Back to the Future one... stay away from it.

Also, I'm trying to get on very, very old games like Orion's Conspiracy or the Star Trek ones... something space-y. Any tips?

I liked the first BTTF episode but stopped playing halfway through the second because it wasn't all the interesting.

There's also the Wallace and Gromit which are pretty decent.

deano2099
26-05-2012, 03:14 AM
Played Deadtime Stories tonight, another Jane Jenson penned hidden-object game. Really didn't work for me, story was very slight, characters boring and the hidden object scenes were just dull.

deano2099
27-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Played through The White Chamber last night, not the room escape one, the anime point-and-click - it's very bio-horror but a fun couple of hours: http://www.studiotrophis.com/site/projects/thewhitechamber

Some shocking/disturbing moments, and the plot could have done with more room to breathe, but it's well worth the zero pennies it costs.

Althea
15-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Was checking my Facepillock feed just now and I noticed something from the Broken Sword page.

BS5 may potentially be unveiled next month (http://www.edge-online.com/news/revolution-software-unveil-new-adventure-next-month).

Veeeery interesting. It would explain the two remastered editions and the latest re-release of the Broken Sword series via Mastertronic.

deano2099
18-06-2012, 12:34 PM
The downside of that is I might have to finally play number 4...

I played through the first route in Ever17 over the past week. Not exactly a point-and-click I know but close enough. Hugely disappointed, I know people say it takes a while to get going and the best bit is only at the very end of the final path, but it was about 8 hours of bugger-all happening and then two hours of actual exciting plot at the end.

Althea
18-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Randomly went back to Broken Sword 2 today, which I left sort-of-started for a second time, and I've just arrived in Quaramonte - I got there before, but I lost my save or something so I had to start again. Not that I'm too bothered.

But I think this screenshot perfectly encapsulates many aspects of the Broken Sword games:
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1390/2012061800008.jpg

Althea
22-06-2012, 08:44 AM
So, Daedalus' latest adventure is out today - The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav (non-aff GamersGate link (http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-DECS/the-dark-eye-chains-of-satinav)). It looks good, and it's great to see another game set in the same setting as Drakensang, but 30?! They're having a laugh.

That said, I've tried one or two Daedalus-developed games and they seem a little... poor. I remember the demo of A New Beginning, at least, having some really shite audio quality.

Althea
22-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Just a heads up.

Today's voting for tomorrow's GOG Summer Promo (http://www.gog.com/en/page/2012_summer_promo) is up - Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - Director's Cut vs The Last Express. It's ~400:~1200 at the time of posting this, so I would expect tomorrow's 60% will be The Last Express (that's, what, $2.39?).

deano2099
22-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Chains of Satinav looks interesting though I'm destined to read it as Chains of Satnav for evermore. But it's out the same weekend as Resonance which is bad timing.

Looks like an amazing deal for The Last Express, loved that game.

Althea
22-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Chains of Satinav looks interesting though I'm destined to read it as Chains of Satnav for evermore. But it's out the same weekend as Resonance which is bad timing.
It's also 30, which is quite expensive for an adventure game. Very few, if any, come out at 30 now. It's 20 usually.

Tikey
22-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Just a heads up.

Today's voting for tomorrow's GOG Summer Promo (http://www.gog.com/en/page/2012_summer_promo) is up - Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - Director's Cut vs The Last Express. It's ~400:~1200 at the time of posting this, so I would expect tomorrow's 60% will be The Last Express (that's, what, $2.39?).

Excellent. I've been meaning to get the Last Express. This is the perfect excuse.

Althea
22-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Broken Sword 2 Review

Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror is a semi-direct sequel to Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars, and it largely follows the same template. The story itself is a puzzle that has to be unravelled, and is fairly dark, but it's carried by George Stobbart and Nicole Collard - perhaps the best double-teaming protagonists in any game. The Remastered edition, which I played, includes a number of improvements from the Director's Cut of Shadow of the Templars - largely the improved menu, user interface and hint system, as well as some technical improvements.

At the start of the game, Nico is captured by a South American man and George is left to die, but even with death staring him in the face, he can't help but make inappropriate quips. Once he escapes, he has one task in mind - save Nico - but by carrying out this task, he opens up a whole new can of worms and a plot to bring back an evil god from the Mayan culture. This leads George and Nico on an adventure half-way across the world, and into something that was deeper than they could have imagined.

The story is explained fairly well, you have an idea of who the bad guys are and what they're getting up to, yet it's peppered with moments that don't quite fit - for instance, there's a section towards the end where George encounters a group of people on an island (I won't say more) that doesn't make sense whatsoever, nor does it add anything to the game. The characters that fill the world of Broken Sword are good, though, and they're often humorous in their own ways - some are outright crazy, some have some funny lines, some are just funny - and it keeps you playing, so much so that I began to wonder if the plot was designed to play second fiddle to the character interactions.
George is the player character for the majority of the game, and as such he tends to have the best lines. Many of the laugh-out-loud moments in the game come from George's dialogue with himself/the player, and this is contrasted fairly well by Nico who seems much less pleasant in this game, although being the token Distressed Female a few times probably doesn't help her mood. In the last third or so of the game, it switches frequently between Nico and George sections to simulate them working simultaneously, and it's quite a good system as it keeps your memory fresh and builds up the plot nicely.

As for the puzzles, largely they're simplistic and use common sense. Some are a little outlandish or have overly-specific thought behind them (the puzzles relating to the Ketch museum often worked like this), and others take place over a few scenes, but there should be little backtracking needed to do puzzles if you're thorough with collecting things. However, a very small number of puzzles were quite poor - I'm reminded of the puzzles involving Nico in particular - as they took away from the pacing and the enjoyment, and were exercises in patience. Revolution saved the single-biggest puzzle in the game for almost the very end, when what you want to do is get to the end, not spend 10 minutes on a slightly abstract, awkward puzzle.

The improvements seem very randomly done, however. The vast majority of dialogue is clear but there are times where it switches between Original and Improved, meaning one line may be clear but the following one may be a little muffled. The times where it happens are few and far between, but they do take away from the experience somewhat. The hint system is also a little inconsistent - it seems to give you straight answers on the simple puzzles, but be more obtuse on the harder ones when you would generally want it to be the other way around. Revolution also missed a chance to correct a few problems - namely George referring to the South Americans as "Indians" (which they're not) - and added some of their own, such as the dialogue and subtitles not quite matching up as well as sound levels changing dramatically (muffled 'original' sound coupled with an extremely loud cinematic volume), and this does cause you to begin to wonder how much effort was put into the remaster.

Overall, Broken Sword 2 is not a bad game, it's just a bit inconsistent. At times it makes perfect sense, at others it makes none, but the characters and the dialogue keep you going. There's a lot to do in the game despite it being short at about five hours in length (depending on how much you rely on the hint system or a guide), and it's enjoyable from start to finish despite a few nagging flaws.

deano2099
28-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Well Resonance is aces. Only criticism is that it's a bit short - the opening and final acts are fairly perfunctory, but the middle act where you control all 4 characters together is fantastic - could have just done with two more bits like that, but still. Excellent voice acting (though with non-removable subtitles grr) and a good plot, with puzzles that make sense, and only one or two niggly bits. Well worth the $10.