PDA

View Full Version : [AAR] Tactical Tuesday 22/05/2012 - No Strength In Numbers

harakka
22-05-2012, 10:46 PM
This evening saw 40 comrades throw themselves at various objectives, mostly dying but occasionally even succeeding. Thank you all for joining us in such force, hopefully you enjoyed it an will turn up again, and also on Sundays (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2540-README-Folk-Sessions-(Sundays)).
The missions were as follows:

Reborn Phoenix. This is a slightly updated version of an ARPS classic, Stillborn Eagle. Commanded by the new but very able Borklund/Gustav, the men were able to complete even the extra objective. Unfortunately not everyone made it to the extraction, but I'm sure it was worth it for the hostages who were rescued.

Cratesistance. It's all about dying in the woods, and apparently that was achieved. Kelron's CDF took the larger number of casualties however, only managing to blow up one cache. Other caches were attacked but not hard enough, thus the mission ended in NAPA win under the command of Borklund (again). And for future reference, the crates don't contain satchels, but something infinitely more valuable: the source of all fighting spirit on Chernarus and the whole Soviet-equipped world.

Force Ten. This rounded up the evening, offering a classic buffet of death. StrangLove did wonderfully juggling the very large number of fireteams at his disposal. As is traditional, the mosque was our advance's high-water mark, then the charge was ordered. Unfortunately no-one made it, and enemies ate all the delicious icecream that was being served at FOB Dynamo.

Avalanche. As the official session drew to an end, it was the time to do a bit of mission (provided by Kelron) testing. Surprisingly enough this consisted of everyone dying at a very quick pace by a large number of enemies coming our way, as is fitting for a defense mission. Kelron seemed to be the last person alive, which is kind of suspicious.

Borklund
22-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Thank you all for putting up with my ineptitude. I'd only ever played Warfare before, not a minute of coop missions. It was great fun though and I look forward to seeing you all in future ARPS sessions!

Nullkigan
22-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Borklund, you were an amazing commander for a mission that didn't really give you much to do, and an absolutely fantastic first-timer. Please continue to play with us.

(In other news, I found out why the choppers didn't take off when the last man got in. Will be fixed at some point. There'll also be more concerted waves rather than sporadic far targets.)

Raaritsgozilla
22-05-2012, 11:08 PM
What time are these played? As in, are they out of my time zone?:(

harakka
22-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Just me a shooting a gun, from Force Ten. Also survived a building collapse, I think this was the third one during my ARMA career. Thanks to Pelican Pal for telling me where the stairs were afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uhdLNMMXLA&feature=youtu.be

Halop
22-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Reborn Phoenix
Missed this mission, my PC overheated so I disconnected after rescuing the first hostages. I later joined as a JIP, but died quickly.

Cratesistance
Dying in the woods is what we are good at! I was CDF, rifleman in bravo squad. We were ordered to approach a far west cache together with alpha squad. As we climbed a steep hill, we saw the cache. An enemy ran infront of us, someone from our section opened fire and shit hit the fan. In the ensuring battle, I killed one player and one AI, died from a grenade. Our section (alpha,bravo) was butchered horribly from the flanks.

Force Ten
I was Foxtrot FTL. Command ordered us to advance to the Base through the city in an echelon formation. Fox was on the edge of the formation, so we had to cover the flank, killing enemies that approached from the flank while advancing from building to building. At first, all went well, I think we advanced halfway into the city, but then people started dying. Don't know what happened to my fireteam, as I was shot and was injured, waiting a revive. Unfortunately, the revive script for the mission bugged I think, and so I spent the other half of the mission lying on the ground, with other injured comrades.

Avalanche
I was MAT, RPG guy. I was hiding in town, waiting for enemy vehicles, while hearing the deaths of the unfortunate players who were out front, where there was minimal cover. Saw 3 enemy APC's incoming - 1 BRDM and 2 M113's. They were very far away, seemed like 400 meters. I thought, what the hell, and fired an RPG at an M113. Surprisingly, the rocket hit dead on at a moving target 400 meters away, and the APC exploded spectacularly. But, the rest of my shots weren't so accurate, as I had some weird RPG's, not the standart ones, but fat ones (high explosive RPG-7V or something?), that traveled at an extreme arc.

harakka
22-05-2012, 11:29 PM
@Raaritsgozilla, 19:30 UK time. More info here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2518-README-Tactical-Tuesday) if you need it.

Phoenix49
23-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Borklund u were just as good as any other veteran, I really admire the initiative and the balls it takes to take on command ^^ Great job!

Awesome night overall, even though I died due to a bug in the first mission, died instantly during the adversarial without seeing a single enemy and also died instantly to our own EIDs during the final mission. My favourite mission (the only one I actually had time to play, really) was by far Force Ten, in which we did awesomely under Wolfenswan's lead, and ended (I'm not too sure why, probably coz it took too long) as I heroicly ran into a ditch while carrying Kataras on my shoulders

pendergraft
23-05-2012, 02:36 AM
I had fun playing the first mission, but Mumble cut out on me and I couldn't find a way to fix it (no sound coming through even though I could see the 'talk' icon lighting up for people). I will look into it and hopefully have time to play next week. Although I expended at least one clip of ammunition in the general direction of the enemy, I think I shot a grand total of no people. I close my eyes and flinch when I click the mouse to properly simulate how I'd do in a real combat situation, leaving tangos upright and healthy.

Velko
23-05-2012, 06:51 AM
It was jolly good fun indeed! RPS people seem to be kind to newcomers, even to those unfortunate few of us who couldn't get their headset working properly and had to remain silent...

Reborn Phoenix

My first ARPS mission started with a chaotic (in my mind) landing, where I tried to remember who is in my squad (Echo, I was AT guy) and who is not, while running for cover in a hail of bullets. We took the hostage huts rather easily. Echo was in the center as we advanced towards east. At some point, I spotted a bunch of enemies south of us, and opened fire across Alpha's attack venue... Luckily no friendlies got hit. In that situation I happily spent all ammo of my silenced Mk16, and then grabbed an AKM from a dead guy. A little later we blew up the secondary objective and advanced even farther to east... which on retrospect wasn't a very good idea probably, because the rest of the squads were not advancing that much and we ended up being attacked from many directions simultaneously and all of us died gloriously soon enough. AFAIK no man from Echo made it to the extraction.

Cratesistance

Playing catch in the woods, basically. Our Delta squad, led by harakka, took defensive positions in what was to become the rear area. Never saw an enemy and didn't fire a shot, but it was still rather tense and interesting!

Force Ten

I was assistant MG gunner in the HMG team with Zitron as the gunner. I basically just glued myself on his heels and tried to keep the baddies off his back. Once I dragged wounded Zitron to safety, and once I killed two enemies who started to look a little nasty aiming their automatic weapons at his side. So in that sense, I count this mission as my best performance during the night! I was a little hampered by not hearing his voice-comms properly (for some reason, my right ear has been mostly deaf for a couple of days (yes I am seeing a doctor today...)), but all in all it went well. That is, went well up to the point where everybody died.

Avalanche

At this point I went to sleep. 19:30GMT is a little difficult starting time for GMT+2, especially when I have to get up for work at 6:30... but it's doable every now and then, and definately seems to be worth it!

Borklund
23-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Thank you Nullkigan and Phoenix :) I will be back with a vengeance!

Reborn Phoenix

[...] A little later we blew up the secondary objective and advanced even farther to east... which on retrospect wasn't a very good idea probably, because the rest of the squads were not advancing that much and we ended up being attacked from many directions simultaneously and all of us died gloriously soon enough. AFAIK no man from Echo made it to the extraction.
I take full responsibility for that decision :( After E/F/3 had accomplished the secondary, optional objective I should have ordered everyone back to the LZ instead of east toward the advancing enemy mechanised infantry counter-attack.

Velko
23-05-2012, 08:33 AM
I take full responsibility for that decision :( After E/F/3 had accomplished the secondary, optional objective I should have ordered everyone back to the LZ instead of east toward the advancing enemy mechanised infantry counter-attack.

Oh, no worries! It was a glorious counter-counter-attack, that's what it was. Only we didn't know we were counter-counter-attacking at the time. Or at least I didn't.

kataras
23-05-2012, 08:57 AM
... as I heroicly ran into a ditch while carrying Kataras on my shoulders
Hm when did this happen? On spectator script I was laying on the dirt. Thanks!

billy_bunter
23-05-2012, 10:49 AM
I think it was my third Tac Tuesday last night and I don't seem to be getting any better! Oh well, it was still really good fun.

On Reborn Phoenix I got shot through a window by an unknown assailant after less than 5 mins, and then on Crateresistance I got taken out by a grenade and then killed while being revived in about the same length of time. Things got better in Force Ten (with Halop as FTL) but then I got the good news (from I think a Technical?) as I sprinted up a tower in the western end of the town and then glitched into the scenery. I watched a couple of people come up the tower on the unconscious camera but I was writhing under the floor so no revive for me :D

I must get myself a mic before the next session as not being able to spot is a real limitation. Thanks all for the game and for being forgiving to non-mic'ed noobs like me!

mike
23-05-2012, 11:49 AM
My first time on RPS, although someone of you know me from folk already, and it was great fun.

Here are 2 great moments of null and killa in cratesistance I really don't wanna keep from you :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2diu3Sm3Q8

mike
23-05-2012, 11:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86kPwYrrHmw

Halop
23-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Awesome videos! I was hoping someone filmed that.

Phoenix49
23-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Hm when did this happen? On spectator script I was laying on the dirt. Thanks!

I am pretty sure it was you I was carrying...you got gunned down by a stationary machine gun along with my FTL Wolfenswan right before the mission ended after his orders were "ignore the MG just run for the ditch over th-" and he go shot :P So I ran to the closest person after taking down the MG, carried them and started running for cover. It was around the time you said "so there's noone to revive medics?"...I could be wrong tho, maybe it was Wolfenswan after all, but I saw ur name

egg651
23-05-2012, 01:53 PM
@mike: ArmA's AI at it's best.

Fistulator
23-05-2012, 06:36 PM
This was my first Tactical Tuesday, but it was great!

Hopefully I'll be more useful next week.

Simmura McCrea
24-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Reborn Phoenix. My first FTL role as Bravo, managed to get most of the guys home after after Alpha lead bought the farm. Couldn't hear most of voice chat early one due to helicopters right above us. Thanks to Joesph for the advice.

Cratesistance. Also an FTL, we died pretty quick. I think we got flanked, or we flanked them without noticing or something.

Force Ten. I was a medic, who couldn't revive. Ended up chilling with Alpha when we were ordered to gloriously charge. Naturally, we all died.

Avalanche. Lots of enemies. I was assistant to someone who died fairly quick, so I grabbed their LMG and shot at people with it. I'm pretty sure the only guy I killed was Draakon, though.

EBass
24-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Great to see so many new guys turning out! Sorry I missed it, hopefully can be there next time

Nullkigan
24-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Reborn Phoenix:
Mission editor comments: Seemed to mostly work. Four “bugs”: a chopper stayed on station when it should have flown off, the counterattack was too staggered so we only really had trouble right at the end when we overextended, the evac chopper was way too slow and the extraction choppers didn’t spool up correctly. Three of those four will be fixed for the next version, the last is an AI bug that I can’t do anything about.

As Echo FTL I got some good movement in my E/F/MG3 section. Egg was a good second and Jim the Dog / Velko / (I forget the third person, sorry) were nice, communicative (yes, even though you didn’t have a mic) and competent squaddies. I apologise to MMG3 who I did not really give tasks to.

The insertion was textbook smooth. Exactly as ordered we stacked up in cover and proceeded at double pace to free one set of hostages. We then pushed though the main rebel compound clearing out what we could. The only hairy moment was when I stepped infront of Jim’s machinegun whilst he was in the middle of an extended burst. Whoops!

After clearing and holding the barracks for several minutes Command made the decision to go for the secondary objective: a communications/HQ trailer that we needed to destroy. We did so and pushed up through junk yard to blunt the enemy counterassault. It was only right at the end that the tide overwhelmed us, but I like to think our sacrifices let the survivors escape.

Best moment? When I heard someone scream about being down to their last pistol magazine.

Cratesistance:
Attacker, Delta FTL.
Kelron had a nice plan: Delta and the misc section (CO/MD/1 rifle) would go through the woods towards the nearest cache whilst Charlie took the road in a truck, making a loud and obvious target. Alpha and Bravo would hit another objective entirely. Things went almost perfectly – to the point that Kelron had just ordered Delta to go for the next cache along and leave the closer one to Charlie when things started to go bad. For a brief moment we entertained the illusion that Charlie would be able to win their little engagement, but in four quick screams crushed that dream.

We were ordered to make a hard 90 degree turn and hit the cache in the flank. I put x25killa on point knowing full well that every weapon within 3 miles would be trained on him the moment we broke the tree line. Not because they’d be waiting for him, but because he’s loud and tends to attract attention. We hit the cache hard and fast – killa gunned down two of the guards but a third was aiming at him from just 10 meters away. I let fly with my GP25 and turned the guard into a red smear, muttering something about having actually aimed at killa when my automatic rifleman chided the proximity usage of explosive rounds. Killa swiftly destroyed the cache and I ordered the retreat, aware that the enemy players would now be aiming right at us and that they were good enough marksmen to utterly destroy Charlie in mere moments. As we crossed the road we’d charged over everyone in my fireteam was shot. Fortunately Kelron and the medic had just caught up with us. The medic saved my life, then killa’s, then-- BANG, he was dead. I fled into the woods, shouting for anyone and everyone to follow.

A tense minute passed whilst I called for anyone at all to respond. Only killa was alive. Not one man from any other fire team. Commander Kelron and the heroic medic were dead.

At a loss for what to do we headed north to take the next cache. As we approached it we took sporadic light fire and I remarked that it was a fortified position. I lost track of killa at this point. Apparently he ran a kilometre to the east, ignoring the point we were closest to.

The videos above show what happened next, more or less. I used my GP25 to scare two player guards, got the drop on a third, fumbled my keys, shot smoke at him, threw smoke at him and finally killed him. Then I made a mad dash and got shot in the rear. (There’s no way that was an AI egg; they don’t move around from their guard positions and an AI would have ‘heard’ me).

Killa’s end is better documented.

I don’t think I ever heard from Alpha or Bravo. At all. Maybe they were ghosts to begin with!

Force Ten:
DC Medic #2.
Mission maker comments: There are a couple of gear bugs, old scripts and stupefying load times that grow with player count. I’m unsure how to fix that last issue so I’ll probably completely redo most of the mission in the next revision (if I actually get round to making one).

I won’t waste too many words on the mission, as I made it, but I will say it seemed to fill the role I had envisioned for it pretty well: A hectic, grind of a mission where the only way to win is to never let yourself get bogged down, be willing to disengage, and move swiftly. The huge continuous fire fight that emerges when you fail to do this is just an added bonus.

It’s exactly because of this that I felt Commander StrangLove did an absolutely excellent job. If you’ve seen Blackhawk Down you might be familiar with a scene I refer to as “information overload”. Strang was dealing with twice as much chatter on the command circuit and still keeping people to task.

I could heal people but not revive them. When I got shot I respawned. I had to skip the rest of the mission.

Avalanche:
CO Medic.
I fired my AK wildly into the hills until I had no more ammo. Then the bad guys turned up and I did the same with a dead comrade’s AK. I hit nothing. Then I played a bugle charge when Comrade Commander Wolfenswan decided that our surviving few had no chance of holding the village. I was cut down by rifle fire as I leant over to pick up a new gun, some hundred yards up the road.