PDA

View Full Version : civilization board game; help!

nuh uh no way
26-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Just picked this up and desperately need help trying to make sense of the rules. The guide book is very poorly written (IMO). Spent the past few hours attempting to figure this out with two others and we came to the conclusion that we just need to play it with someone who has played the damn thing before.

Any takers?

darko drako
31-05-2012, 06:02 PM
The rules are not that difficult! In particular there is a card with the turn breakdown, just folllow that?

You also give no indication where you live, therefore it is very unlikely that anyone will respond to your request.

If you have anything specific that you don't understand, have a look on boardgamegeek, there are a lot of rule explanations there.

It is a very good game in my opinion, very tactical, but you do need to set aside 4hrs for it.

Lightbulb
31-05-2012, 07:12 PM
FFG make damn fine games and damn terrible rule books.

They are not difficult per-se just unclear.

----

Most of the rules however are on the cards. Easiest just to sit an play through a few turns then start again. Its also not immediately clear what you should do. I don't have my copy with me and i have not played it enough to explain off the top of my head...

Ravelle
31-05-2012, 11:14 PM
I have Arkham horror and their rule book doesn't make the slightest sense to me, it doesn't have a step by step phase guide either.

Vexing Vision
01-06-2012, 12:28 AM
There are two Civilizations. One is a fine, fine game but a bit older and rather complex.

The other is an abomination called Civilization: The Videogame: The Boardgame and has rules that are very clear and very, very unbalanced and not much fun. Gorgeous figures though.

Which one are you stuck with?

sketchseven
01-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Hmm as an owner and happy player of Civilization: The Board Game I'd take issue with Vexing Vision's comments ... but that's not the point of the post.

It does take a little while to wrap your head around (there are a lot of rules) but I've played it a number of times, once you get a feel for it, it really is a great game. Just one of those that takes a good few hours to play through entirely.

deano2099
01-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Check boardgamegeek for a video-based rule explanation, they have them for most games!

Vexing Vision
01-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Hmm as an owner and happy player of Civilization: The Board Game I'd take issue with Vexing Vision's comments ... but that's not the point of the post.

HAH, I have both as well. Bought it when it came out because I was dazzled by the amazing material (I do suffer from "gamer's bling"-syndrome). Has there been a revision, or can random plagues in villages still entirely wipe out a player before he even took his first turn if the initial set-up is unlucky?

sketchseven
01-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Er ... are we both talking about this game here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-Culture-Politics/dp/1589949358/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338572912&sr=8-1)? Because I'm fairly sure there were no plagues in the villages.

Personally I love it - no luck (no dice or cards to screw you over), love the negotiation system, the tech pyramid mechanic is cool, the combat is interesting and allows for some tactical manouvering... what's not to like? :)

Vexing Vision
02-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Ah, so there's a third version. Neat! I'll have a look at that when I see Fantasy Flight again in Essen.

I was referring to this abomination by Eagle Games: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3633/sid-meiers-civilization-the-boardgame - gorgeous material, no balance to speak off. The above 5 rating comes from people confusing the game with the proper Civilization-games.