PDA

View Full Version : So how about that F3AR game?

solipsistnation
22-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Anyone played it? Is it any good?

Heliocentric
22-06-2011, 06:06 PM
It's out? Oh well, I fully intend to get two copies of it at some point unless its totally wretched.

solipsistnation
22-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes, well, I have limited gaming time, so I want to know if it's worth playing RIGHT NOW (in between tank battles) or if I should wait a couple of months until it's on sale...

Toamouse
23-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Not got my hands on it yet but from what I've heard its very short which is a shame. However I'll co-op it also at least a bit, that looks interesting.

There is the various multiplayer modes also which seem interesting, fucking run and such (or was it f*cking run I forget)

Jockie
23-06-2011, 03:29 PM
My twitter feed is suggesting that the game wasn't sent to reviewers and the metacritic user scores got flooded with 9+ reviews from new users. Doesn't bode too well.

Edit - looks like eurogamer gave it an 8/10 and describes one of the mechanics as a masterstroke.

SirKicksalot
23-06-2011, 04:32 PM
8 on IGN, 7.5 on Gamespot.
I can buy Steam keys for 25 Euros from an official reseller (the joys of living in Eastern Europe lol). I think I will, the game seems to be very inventive and much better than FEAR 2. And anything that involves Carpenter has my attention. Hopefully I'll find a good coop buddy.

Faceless
23-06-2011, 05:34 PM
It's a bland shooter with interesting mechanics and a narrative that is slightly more than shallow justification for all the player-incited bloodshed. Think Singularity or Clive Barker's Jericho, but higher production values.

It's marginally better than F.E.A.R. 2 yet far worse than F.E.A.R. 1. If you do play it, make sure you have a friend to co-op it with.

Kablooie
23-06-2011, 08:55 PM
eh, I liked Singularity, heh. I guess I'm more forgiving towards shooters.

I'm lukewarm towards the F.E.A.R. series in general, played F.E.A.R.1, missed #2. If that little girl would just get out of my way when I want to go shoot something.

The story's still cringe-worthy, but the game still shines with the cover system and enemy AI. It's not the satisfying bone-rattling metallic thump you get in Gears, but it's not bad. They seem to have forgotten to put it on the corners of walls, though.

Graphics are a bit bland.

So far, fun. As I said, I'm partial to (fantastic) shooters. I'm also a fan of Mr. Carpenter.

Faceless
23-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Did I sound negative? Oh, dear.

I have enjoyed both Singularity and Clive Barker's Jericho. Nothing wrong with 'bland' shooters, especially if you have the capacity to enjoy something that might not have the higher production values or follow widely accepted formulae. You can watch a low-budget film and enjoy it despite its glaring faults, for example.

I haven't played much of F.3.A.R. but I do intend to co-op the campaign. The multiplayer modes are interesting, but ultimately unfulfilling; I'm also confused why such a graphic game decides to censor 'fucking' in the 'fucking run' game mode. Which, by the way, made me wish something similar existed in my oft-played L4D2.

Creeping Death
23-06-2011, 10:00 PM
It's a bland shooter with interesting mechanics and a narrative that is slightly more than shallow justification for all the player-incited bloodshed.

Makes it sound better than the average shooter. Not all have interesting mechanics :P

I'm interested in this, but might wait until the price drops... Haven't played more than 2 hours of Fear 2 yet!

Oh for those interested, you can currently get it at getgamesgo for 20 with the "GGFEAR" promo code

SirKicksalot
23-06-2011, 10:31 PM
How about we share Steam ID's here? You know, to have someone to rely upon in case this game dies. Although I imagine it'll be a cult hit.
Here's mine, feel free to add me. (http://steamcommunity.com/id/sirkicksalot/) I plan on going solo the first time.

Toamouse
24-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Much to my annoyance my copy came with only 2 parts of 5 for the cd-key and i've been told I have to take it up with WB Games. Joy of joys. Oh how I love being a pc gamer sometimes ;|

CuriousOrange
24-06-2011, 12:38 AM
I didn't mind Fear 2, it was only marginally worse than the first I thought. But then I never was that impressed by the AI in the first one, and it wasn't at all scary.

Kablooie
24-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Much to my annoyance my copy came with only 2 parts of 5 for the cd-key and i've been told I have to take it up with WB Games. Joy of joys. Oh how I love being a pc gamer sometimes ;|

Are you sure it's only 2 of 5 - maybe it's 3 of 5?

My CD key is in 3 parts, but the activation dialog displays a number in five parts -but 3 works just fine (or at least, mine did). It's deceptive.

outoffeelinsobad
24-06-2011, 06:11 AM
The cover system is fantastic, and I love what they did with the achievements and unlocking abilities. It's too bad the rest of the game is shit.

The level and enemy design has never been interesting in a FEAR game, and this one's no different. Most of the time, you're running down a corridor, shooting soldiers. At other times, you're playing zombie survival mode until some contrived event opens a door. The two I noticed most often were helicopters crashing into gates and certain psychological "contractions." Despite my admiration for Monolith's other products, I have never been a FEAR fan, but I did have some grudging respect for the AI. It seems diminished in F3AR, somehow. Baddies will come after you one by one; they'll use similar pieces of cover or flank you from the same direction, so you'll rarely be shot in the back. The script is terrible. I mean truly awful. Fettel is a bond movie villain, and Jin's dialogue is mercurial and bizarre. Also, not even a little scary. I am only reminded of how terrified I was while watching Ringu or Sauna and saddened that that kind of immersion(for lack of a better word) is not available here.

Bought the game because I love Monolith, but I wouldn't say I'm entirely surprised at the lack of progress. I wish they'd give the horror fraud a rest and make another decent mech game.

nayon
24-06-2011, 06:31 AM
The horror is terrible, the shooting is ok, the mechanics are awesome. The multiplayer modes are pretty creative and playing as Paxton Fettel should have been the entire point of the game, because it's really interesting. I guess they had to keep the shooting in to appease to the console kiddies.

The cover system is indeed good, but the game feels a bit consolized. The ranking system is actually pretty good, basically you gain XP by gaining achievements.

The graphics are pretty bad, the texture quality is insanely low even on the highest setting.

Overall I'd give it a 8/10, but you definitely want to play as Paxton Fettel. In single player, once you complete a mission with Point Man, you can play it as Paxton. I really wanna try the coop.

Toamouse
24-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Are you sure it's only 2 of 5 - maybe it's 3 of 5?

My CD key is in 3 parts, but the activation dialog displays a number in five parts -but 3 works just fine (or at least, mine did). It's deceptive.

Aye its 2 of 5 (or 3!). I can see part of a letter/number but the rest appears to be missing. ie its (partial)x - xxxxx - xxxxx

Annoying indeed however I sent WB Games an email, hoping to get a reply today at least!

Bought the game because I love Monolith, but I wouldn't say I'm entirely surprised at the lack of progress. I wish they'd give the horror fraud a rest and make another decent mech game.

Monolith didn't make the game this time. It was Day One Studios who did. I believe Monolith are at work one a "mystery game" atm.

/Edits morning + lack of caffeine makes for a poor start.

Kablooie
24-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Well, the AI shot me a few times in the back before I started covering my six.

Consolitis or not, I'm actually surprised by the K&M controls - they're the standard ones, wasd, c for cover, mouse1 fire, mouse2 aim. So they got that right. Not sure if you can alter them, I haven't tried (no reason to).

I'm getting into areas with more creatures & less human foes, and oddly the game's fun is dropping (kinda like it does in Crysis when the aliens show up).

Y'know, the graphics are really primitive for this day and age. They could have done better than this, but if they lacked the budget, okay, sure.

Oh, for PC and NVIDIA users: I had to force SLI mode AFR2 (Alternate Frame Rendering 2) for this game, otherwise it was tasking only one board (same with Witcher2).

Toamouse
24-06-2011, 01:50 PM
got a reply for wb games & back to shop I went. New copy in hand I shall see if its lovely!

nayon
24-06-2011, 03:37 PM
At least the controls are really smooth and not consolized. No stupid mouse accel, and your character doesn't move like a piece of cardboard with glue on its feet. It's all responsive and stuff.

The graphics are bad. There are some things about the rendering engine that make it look current gen (can't put my finger on it), but the textures are low quality and it's all very bright everywhere, except for YOU SHOULD BE SCARED RIGHT NOW moments.

Speaking of those moments, they're very tired and predictable. It only kind of worked in the first game, the second and this one are like parodies of that one in the fear department.

But as I said, playing as Fettel is both a blast and a careful balancing act. Also the multiplayer modes "Spirit King" and "Fucking Run" are interesting. Also the XP system with achievements encourages you to keep changing the style you play and brek the mold.

Toamouse
24-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Well, the AI shot me a few times in the back before I started covering my six.

Consolitis or not, I'm actually surprised by the K&M controls - they're the standard ones, wasd, c for cover, mouse1 fire, mouse2 aim. So they got that right. Not sure if you can alter them, I haven't tried (no reason to).

I'm getting into areas with more creatures & less human foes, and oddly the game's fun is dropping (kinda like it does in Crysis when the aliens show up).

Y'know, the graphics are really primitive for this day and age. They could have done better than this, but if they lacked the budget, okay, sure.
This sums it up really. It feels like it should be an excellent game but it feels hampered. The campaign was bloody short also I must say. However the option to replay it with a new char is welcome (from what I've read is actually the more fun way to play).(On a side note did anyone find the campaign scary at all?)

I've yet to play the multiplayer but it sounded lovely at least!

TheTourist314
24-06-2011, 10:59 PM
I loved Singularity too! No one else has much love for it. I like the cheesy sci-fi shooters. Red Faction Armageddon was really good to me for the same reason. I reinstalled FEAR 1 the other day, forgot how good it was. FEAR 2 was so boring I stopped playing it after an hour.

Kablooie
25-06-2011, 12:21 AM
They may have spent all their budget on the mech combat >_> which is pretty cool.

Do the mechs have specific weaknesses? I thought I read somewhere it's their arms (the guns).

(comment removed. does this forum have spoiler tags or not?)

I had to drop it to recruit difficulty. Grrr.

Kablooie
25-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Gonna rant here just a lil' bit

Okay, playing Fettel. Just finished fighting a bunch of troopers, and exploring the area. Had to shed the body I was wearing as a result, but picked up two "Psychic Connections". Scaling a fence, lo and behold, there's a set of mech armor.

Can't don it, as "You require a body to use this vehicle" or something like that. Nearby is a structure with a blastable place, so I blast it and there's troopers inside. Yay! I possess one, and turn ,to go get the mech . . .

and this huge hole (at least 12' wide and six-seven' tall) that I made is sealed behind me by a patchwork wooden wall that not only appeared out of nowhere, but perfectly fits the hole. The Mech is unretrievable.

CHEAP! Oh, you are sooooo cheap, Day 1 Studios! That was utter bullocks, you , you . . . @^!!#@#!!

(more ranting and bad words ensue)

You dicks.

I hate "magically sealing behind you" passages in games, and invisible walls -_-

Creeping Death
25-06-2011, 01:44 PM
I hate "magically sealing behind you" passages in games, and invisible walls -_-

I've heard that, as a ghost, Fettel can move through specific walls etc (Haven't played as him yet). So perhaps this is what happened to you? Not so much a case of "magically sealing behind you" as it was "always there" :P

nayon
25-06-2011, 01:58 PM
As a person who has played Fettel, don't you think they should have just given you the option to play as Fettel from the start?

Kablooie
25-06-2011, 03:32 PM
No, he's not a ghost, or if he is, he's a peculiar one, as he can be shot and blown up (if he couldn't be, well, he'd be neigh invulnerable, unless they had proton packs or something :P ). If there's walls he can pass through I haven't seen 'em. It wasn't "always there", it was a big hole I made, then they sealed it up when I entered the structure (entered by possessing someone inside it).

Fettel's not real uber. He sucks against mechs & turrets, unless there's cover nearby. He's fun, but can't use guns, grenades, mech, nothing until he possesses someone. Also, other foes instantly know you're not one of their buds, whether they saw you possess the victim or not. I guess you have a big red glow or something even in a body.

Kablooie
25-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Oh, found two tricks as Fettel:

You can psychic-grab a victim with the left hand, but instead of possessing them, you can blast them while they're helpless. Useful against things that can't be possessed (like the spirit dogs).

Also, Phase Commanders can be possessed ^ ^

ezekiel2517
02-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Anyone else disappointed with the melee? Whenever you kick someone, they fly like if they were stuffed with feathers. The jumping kick also feels weightless and bland, unlike how it felt like your greatest weapon in the first. I also dislike the knifing.

The sound of the guns are also underwhelming and they have the look of toys.

I've not finished it yet so I don't want to dismiss it entirely, but I think this game is missing some companions that die in horrible ways and getting your ass kicked by Alma. The endings of the first and extraction point were so memorable because of how powerless they made me feel, even though I had just kicked an entire army in the face (and ghosts too). It would be nice if this one had one like it.

Kablooie
02-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I'd rate the game at about a 5 out of 10, really. Had fun shooting things, but when I wasn't, the game became tedious and dull. The horror elements made my eyes roll and the story was muddled and meandering.

Had some fun with it, but after two replays (one as each character), it hit the shelf. Couldn't recommend it to anyone, really, until it's on sale at a hefty discount.