PDA

View Full Version : Games And Your Choice Of Music

Rossignol
22-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Right. Here's a thing that I know a few gamers share with me: turning off crappy in-game tunes to spice things up with your own music.

For example, fiddly RTS games are best played with some early 20th century Jazz, maybe Django Rheinhardt or similar.

Or, when you're feeling apocalyptic, playing Call Of Pripyat is good with a Godspeed You! Black Emperor audio backdrop.

That said, some games I can't have music on at all, like any competitive multiplayer FPS.

Anyone got any others?

Tikey
22-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Today's racing games usually have crappy music (not like the old NFS games, those game had great soundtracks). So I always turn it off and put some of my own music (no one band, mostly songs that fits the mood like The Cardigans' "My favourite game").
Although the person who put classical music in Burnout: Paradise is a modern genius.

vinraith
22-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Usually I stick with in-game music, unless it's total crap, in which case I substitute something appropriate. In the case of historical strategy games, I'll queue up period-appropriate classical where possible. Back when I was an avid Gal Civ 2 player, I had a little ritual where I'd begin each game listening to the Gorillaz "Every Planet We Reach is Dead," which seemed appropriate for the colonization phase of that game.

Schaulustiger
22-06-2011, 07:29 PM
This reminds me of GTA IV with its brilliant Independence FM radio station that only plays whatever music you put into the corresponding folder. I often found myself driving aimlessly through Liberty City at night while it was raining, listening to some Okkervil River record and feeling all melancholic.

Kablooie
22-06-2011, 07:37 PM
I have a lot of tunes that I drop into Fallout3's folder and use. It's segregated by area or events, like exploration, underground, battle, etc.

I play everything from heavy metal (both genre and the movie), movie soundtracks (Conan, I-Robot, Braveheart), tunes from the older fallout games, Baldur's Gate, Witcher, and so on.

For games I can't substitute the tunes directly like that, I just turn down the game's music and play it via windows media player. I can control the play order and the like with the G15 keyboard.

My tastes in music are mostly classic rock and heavy metal, so I'll load up whatever's appropriate for the game from those genres.

SMiD
22-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Unreal Tournament and some dubstep works out very well.

And I just now discovered that listening to The Sword whilst battling in Baldur's Gate II makes me want to go straight barbarian and drink of the blood of my enemies. Holy shit.

Splynter
22-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I can't play X-com without having The Allman Brothers Band's version of Whipping Post off At Fillmore East playing. I don't really know why, I just do. I think I had the record playing when I first played the game, and now the memories are so connected I can't think of one without the other. Both are masterpieces anyway, so I'm not complaining.

Colonel J
22-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Or, when you're feeling apocalyptic, playing Call Of Pripyat is good with a Godspeed You! Black Emperor audio backdrop.

Jim a recommendation for you. My new discovery for the perfect STALKER soundtrack is Russian Circles - Geneva (http://www.allmusic.com/album/geneva-r1656420/review) best new guitar-based post-rock I've heard in a long time. And in a genre I thought didn't had anything fresh to offer. Some of it has a bit more of a metal chassis than the blessed GY!BE (though no more so than Mogwai) though it's all pleasing. Russian Circles played here in Bristol last night, I was too tired to go. I regret it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBbjZyUEGrc

oatish
22-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Funk and Disco make my otherwise static turn-based games way more lively.

Also, it makes all sci-fi games like 80's cult films.

sinomatic
23-06-2011, 01:55 AM
I've found trackmania to be massively improved by the addition of The Prodigy.

cjlr
23-06-2011, 02:26 AM
Replace in-game music? NEVER.

Well, almost never. I don't always replace soundtracks, but when I do, I prefer jazz, funk, and prog. Mandrill goes great with nearly anything. Or Idris Muhammad. I also had a really, really epic go of KotoR to Yes, once.

archonsod
23-06-2011, 03:57 AM
Got a bunch of radio station mods for New Vegas. Including one that plays classic 50's rock n roll. Works amazingly well.

Spacewalk
23-06-2011, 04:01 AM
Usually whatever was last in the drive because I forgot to take the CD out which could be anything from Earth 2 to Rectal Anarchy. I need to find my CD full of music from old first person-shooters because I've found that goes well with most of the stuff that I play.

Batolemaeus
23-06-2011, 04:47 AM
I tend to do weird stuff with my music.

I used to put Beethoven or Wagner over Eve fleet fights, as the Eve soundtrack just doesn't fit well with the situation. It needed to be something more grand and with the pace of an eve fight, you had plenty of time to let the music calm you down. This way one can avoid lots of mistakes in game..
I did replace the X3 soundtrack with Eve's by the way. It's a bit ironic, but good space music is good space music..

The same goes for the Civ games. While Civ IV has a good soundtrack, and Civ V's isn't that bad either, they do feel very repetitive. I usually play something that doesn't distract too much, like George Winston. Something clear and without much clutter as a backdrop, nothing too heavy.

When I put on my own music, I prefer something unintrusive, and the reason I replace the music is because it's either plain bad or very annoying. Most of the time, however, I simply turn it off entirely.

Skalpadda
23-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Ojos de Brujo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93GFOW4DC2w) makes a great lively soundtrack for shooters.

Xploding Plastics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dm4y9s9vjA) have a lot of excellent stuff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_obm89HKZ3w) for more quirky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwAMm4TWL3Q) games.

Eluvium (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pULmu86AXaY) is nice for anything that doesn't involve a lot of murder.

Rii
23-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Hmm. The only memorable fusion of gaming and external music for me was completing the seemingly endless 'round the world' cup in Mario Kart: Double Dash to the sound of Juno Reactor. I specifically recall the association between Mona Lisa Overdrive (from 2:18 onwards) and Rainbow Road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76OlAlULBEc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyauheAhAAE

EDIT: Good God that's a large video frame. =/

Toamouse
23-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Usually I stick with in-game music, unless it's total crap

This! I've been known to play with about anything on in the background when I was playing WoW be it the radio (music or indeed chat),cds (i've been listening to Rome by Dangermouse &Daniele Luppi recently when playing slower paced games) or indeed other game music.

Depends on my mood really

Rii
23-06-2011, 07:21 AM
This! I've been known to play with about anything on in the background when I was playing WoW be it the radio (music or indeed chat),cds (i've been listening to Rome by Dangermouse &Daniele Luppi recently when playing slower paced games) or indeed other game music.

Depends on my mood really

I often listened to other music whilst playing WoW, but I think it's important to note that this wasn't because WoW has bad music - quite the contrary in fact - but rather because even the most atmospheric music leaves one cold after one has heard it for months or years on end. And often (for better or worse; well, worse) you're not looking for immersion in the first place.

Mihkel
23-06-2011, 07:24 AM
When I play CoH I usually listen to Daft Punk, Manu Chao, Bob Marley, The Black Keys and stuff like that. Also I used to listen to James Brown when playing Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.

TheLastBaron
23-06-2011, 07:39 AM
In most first person games not counting TF2 I dont listen to anything besides in game music because it kills any immersion unless it fits the game (i.e. that popular pack of classic 40's music for fallout 3 was awesome) and I like the music in some games like the Elder Scrolls ones, but in multiplayer games like MMO's, RTS's, or FPS's I listen to either metal or IDM/more minimalist electronica like Trentemoller depending on what kind of a mood I'm in and how into the game I am. I also like to listen to audiobooks a lot.

GothicEmperor
23-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Music either distracts or fades to the background, and I hate it when that happens to good songs. If I listen to music, I do so with intent and attention.

Jams O'Donnell
23-06-2011, 09:11 AM
But Jim, the best Stalker soundtrack is the Robert Rich/Lustmord Stalker album, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh2HRKBBB0g

moth bones
23-06-2011, 10:17 AM
This may make me sound like a philistine, but despite being a music/sound-lover I'm usually extremely uninterested in how it's used in games. I really don't know why. My first action with most games is to go to the options screen and turn the music off. Dirt 2's hideously intrusive loading screens, with disgusting music that as far as I could work out can't be turned off, were enough to make me lose interest in the game completely. I have absolutely no interest in 'voice work' either; if there is a foreign language option for in-game characters then I opt for that straight away.

If I'm playing an atmospheric game I'll often opt for moody stuff like weird electronica, drone music/extreme metal or modern classical. Brian Eno, Wolves In The Throne Room, Pan(a)Sonic, Earth, Skullflower, Coil, Stockhausen etc. But I also like playing strategy games while listening to the cricket, or Radio 3, or my music library on shuffle.

westyfield
23-06-2011, 01:48 PM
In most first person games not counting TF2 I dont listen to anything besides in game music because it kills any immersion unless it fits the game (i.e. that popular pack of classic 40's music for fallout 3 was awesome)

Is that the 'More where that came from' mod? That was awesome.
I tend to stick with the game's soundtrack unless it's absolutely terrible, in which case I listen to whatever I'm into at the moment.
Really epic orchestral rock music or classical music goes well with Bad Company 2, I've found.

OctaneHugo
23-06-2011, 04:04 PM
I honestly can't play my own music in games. Like TLB and westyfield I installed a sound pack for Fallout 3 (I believe that was the name of it WF) that added a whole bunch of period music which fit very well and reduced the monotony that came from listening to those same tracks on GNR hour after hour, but I can't listen to my own stuff while playing a game really ever. It just feels weird.

Maybe it's just that I don't hate most game music, and some I really enjoy. I think both Left 4 Dead games have fantastic music and I've loved listening to whatever weird cultural stuff the last couple of Civ games have stuck me with. I also don't like not paying attention to my music when it's on, so whenever I try to listen to music while playing Football Manager it just ends up distracting me.

I used to listen to jazz while playing Minecraft but I ran into that same problem so now if I'm really in the mood to listen to something I'll toss on a game soundtrack, usually something older, but only rarely.

Wizlah
24-06-2011, 12:26 AM
A long time back when I was playing gta vice city, I just drove around with milo's destroy rock and roll on the personal choice radio folder thing. It was beautiful.

Back in the mists of 1998, I remember playing a lot of quake 2 online and getting my arse kicked to massive attack's mezzanine.

pauljeremiah
24-06-2011, 12:36 AM
I usually play TF2 while listening to a podcast, but I do like to play Crysis or Crysis Warhead to the music of Yoko Kanno

Jake
24-06-2011, 03:15 AM
I should really do this, instead I just listen to Avril Lavigne on the Burnout Paradise soundtrack over and over until I both want to die and am singing along.

Cooper
24-06-2011, 03:40 PM
An evening playing TF2, Brink or the like involves lots of amazing electro pop.

Robyn especially, maybe some Annie.

There's nothing better than rising synths as you rack up kills as the heavy...

Also: Domique Young Unique. She's amazing.

Anything else and I tend to stick to in-game music, except for strategy games, where it's normally sound-down and podcast on.

The JG Man
24-06-2011, 03:47 PM
For me it really depends on the game. A lot of racing games have some god awful sound tracks, so I'm more than happy to mute and put on my own. At the same time, I don't think I could play DiRT 3 with my own music because I play with no HUD and need to hear those directions. I suppose that's the exchange for playing with no HUD...Still, a lot of the games I play require sound to get a good impression, or is otherwise just used well; I couldn't imagine playing BC2 with my own music simply because the in-game sound is both so extraordinary and beneficial to the actual gameplay. Similarly, I'd say it a travesty to play your own music over say, Super Meat Boy or VVVVVV.

MiniMatt
24-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Jazz is for city builders, Sim City taught us that.

Some of the old school racers had some fantastic tracks that just went so well (thinking The Prodg & Chemical Bros in Wipeout, indie brit stuff in Gran Turisimo).

Borderlands opening track (Cage the Elephant, "No Rest for the Wicked") fitted the feel perfectly but unfortunately this didn't extend much into the game. The closing credits track (DJ Champion, "No Heaven") introduced me to a new (to me) artist who I suspect will get used in many many games in the future - rather repetitive excellent thumping hooks perfect for tension.

Jesper Kyd's stuff in the Hitman series worked very nicely too.

And Clint Mansell's stuff tends to be suitably dramatic for just about any dun-DUN-DURRRRR moments - notice he seems to have a ME3 credit.

The last two Fallout games (3 & New Vegas) was perfectly matched but there was oh so little of it (or rather there was oh so little relative to the 100 odd hours you can easily put into those games) - if I hear about that big iron on your hip one more time I'm gonna take it off your hip and can you guess where I'm going to put it? Can you?

Tend to feel that FPS with a well designed sound stage (BC2 being such a good example) benefits from no music at all.

Edawan
24-06-2011, 05:40 PM
As others said, it's mostly racers that need some custom music.
I don't play a lot of these, though. In recent years there's only been Trackmania and Fuel, for me.

For some other games, when there's not much interaction between music and gameplay, it'll depend depend on my mood and whether there's something else I'd rather listen to.
For example WoW and Tropico. (which has a nice soundtrack, but it gets repetitive after a while)

For everything else I keep the game's music.

Nihilille
24-06-2011, 09:33 PM
I've recently been thinking about music and games actually. I tend to immediately when I hear a song connect that to a specific memory, and a couple of albums inevitably make me think about a game I'd have been playing while listening to it, for example if I put Pain - Rebirth on my mind immediately drifts off to Planescape: Torment, and if I put Amorphis - Elegy on I see an arrow traversing a minimap in the original Pool of Radiance. Nowadays though I rarely if ever listen to music while playing and I've been wondering why that is (unless its an MMO, Eve requires Spotify for example). It could either be that the sound experience is just so much better these days in games, what with voice acting and whatnot, but also that I now don't have a separate soundsystem but only my computer, so I actually can't really play a game and listen to music on separate speakers at the same time.

Poindexter
24-06-2011, 10:09 PM
I was really big into multiplayer with the first Call of Duty and with COD:United Offensive. I've got a lot of great memories of that game, however they are all intimately intertwined with lostprophets album Start Something. When I think of COD, I think of lostprophets, and vice versa.

More recently, I've mostly stuck with in game music except for sandbox type games (Minecraft and Terraria) over which I usually listen to metal or prog-rock.

westyfield
25-06-2011, 12:11 AM
I tend to immediately when I hear a song connect that to a specific memory, and a couple of albums inevitably make me think about a game I'd have been playing while listening to it, for example if I put Pain - Rebirth on my mind immediately drifts off to Planescape: Torment, and if I put Amorphis - Elegy on I see an arrow traversing a minimap in the original Pool of Radiance.

Same. When BF2142 came out, I played an awful lot of it, and my brother (a few years older than me) had just got to the stage where teenagers start to play loud music on their speakers. Whenever I hear one of the songs he used to listen to (fortunately this doesn't happen often - his preferences were terrible), in my head I'm driving a hovertank down a dusty desert road, or dropping from a burning gunship onto a battlewalker.
These associations seem much stronger than others, even if someone mentions 2142 it takes me longer to connect the memories than simply hearing a few seconds of music. Weird.

Colonel J
27-06-2011, 05:57 PM
This has got me thinking about how 'inappropriate' music would change a game experience. Perhaps Amnesia would become bearable for me with a soundtrack of some perky trad jazz. And the Benny Hill theme tune would be perfect for the chase sequences.

Or get some Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Throbbing Gristle going in the background in any Civilisation type game. Bring on the apocalypse.

OctaneHugo
27-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Or get some Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Throbbing Gristle going in the background in any Civilisation type game. Bring on the apocalypse.

Ladies and gentlemen, the only time you will ever hear GY!BE and Throbbing Gristle mentioned in the same sentence.

ezekiel2517
28-06-2011, 12:47 AM
The only games I really play my music to are Civilization ones. Lately, it has been Where Did The Night Fall from UNKLE.

FaulPern
28-06-2011, 01:09 AM
I played Far Cry 2 without music at all or while listening to podcasts (once to the Idle Thumbs episode where they recommended turning it off).

treat
28-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Lately I've been listening to a lot of Fugazi, Rites of Spring and Thelonious Monk while playing Skulltag and Tribes2. I don't know why I choose to do what I do.

timmyvos
28-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I usually play the Hearts of Iron and Men of War games with music related to the nation I play, so if I play Germany I play those 19th century Gothic opera's (Götterdämmerung etc.), if I play the Soviet Union I play those marching songs they have and the Internationale and all that jazz and if I play the good ol' USA I usually play some smooth Jazz to coincide with the era. Of course I have the volume set higher in Hearts of Iron since you can play that perfectly well with (relatively) loud music and in Men of War I set the volume rather low so I can still use the audio of the game to help me.

laneford
29-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Serious Sam and Los Campesinos!

http://www.tubedubber.com/#_01KTUx2ib0:Tk0vQhxyR5Y:0:100:0:0:true