PDA

View Full Version : Combat Mission opinions?

Peter Radiator Full Pig
22-06-2011, 07:03 PM
I am interested in the combat mission games. I like the wego style (Playing FS underlines what a great idea it is)
What would be the best of the series to get into? What would be the main differences between them?

oatish
22-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Combat Mission is the pioneer of the WEGO system and it really shows how much tension can be found when your little men are out of your direct control (even if just for a time). The original Combat Mission and Africa Korp are really the only ones I have experience in and they tend to be a little daunting. Coupling grog-ish levels of detail with a 3D battlefield and a unique turn-structure, the game does give the player a lot to consider during each turn sequence. The benefit of all of this is when you "submit your orders", you are effectively done and are free to watch your men and machines get exploded - until the next sequence of decisions.

It's been a few years since I really played these games but I have memories of some truly wrenching fights for towns and hill-tops. Expect to have to learn a bit - especially if you are new to Wargames - as a basic understanding of the arms and small-unit tactics of WW2 are not only recommend but often necessary.

Also, the older CM's use a healthy does of abstraction with men on the ground not reflecting a 1:1 representation of actual assets. The later CM games in the new engine (post-Shock Force) use a 1:1 representation that will be immediately more readable but will take more system resources. I have only done the older ones and it really isn't so bad having 3 ruthlessly blocky models represent your squad.

ANYWAYS, the 1st is on GOG for cheap so it is easy to get your feet wet and, if like me, you enjoy the thought process of strategy as opposed to the rapid-clickity action, you will find some good shit here.

archonsod
22-06-2011, 10:34 PM
They're good, but the learning curve is steep. The main difference between them is generally those from the various theatres covered, although Shock Force is a modern based what-if (US invasion of Syria) which is naturally quite different from the WWII games.

From a newcomer standpoint it doesn't really matter which you go for, just pick whichever one interests you the most. Most of the learning curve will be learning how the game works more than anything else. While there's some engine tweaks and changes (Shock Force even supports a real time mode, though recommended only for experts) over time it's unlikely you'll appreciate most of them unless you're either a hardcore military historian or familiar with the system.

Peter Radiator Full Pig
22-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Excellent. Ill hunt around for my lost Anthology case. I thought the newer ones might have significant changes (I like the sound of 1:1 representation) but I prefer WW2 setting. And Id love to learn actual tactics, though I wonder how much realis is there.

mxu
27-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I thought the newer ones might have significant changes (I like the sound of 1:1 representation) but I prefer WW2 setting. And Id love to learn actual tactics, though I wonder how much realis is there.

The newest one - Combat Mission: Battle for the Normandy - is WWII game. You should definetely try it. The 1:1 infantry firefight simulation is really something to behold. The tank simulation has been top notch since the first game, altough now it is even more accurate than ever before.

I don't know about the steep learning curve mentioned everywhere. Maybe I am some kind of uberhuman, but if you have some understanding about the WWII weapons (like what's effective against what and in what range) and tactics (have a firebase when someone is advancing), and if you read the description of the different move commands from the manual (commands like quick and fast can be a bit confusing if you don't know the difference), you are good to go. The troops do lots of things by themselves.

And RPS: where is the WIT?? You mentioned the demo and said "this should be good". That's it? These kind of games are what PC is all about.

DukeOfChutney
27-06-2011, 01:51 PM
I havnt played the newest iteration but i have the anthology boxset for the old 3 WWII, and i have a copy of shockforce somewhere which ive hardly played.

Most of what i would say has already been said. But what i will say is, if any one wants PBEM, or online play at the old 3, pm me.