PDA

View Full Version : StarForge Looks Sweet.

baby snot
31-05-2012, 06:54 AM
So this is their first playable release. Mind blown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxBSYit49c8

Download v0.1 (http://www.moddb.com/games/starforgegame/downloads/starforge-v01-zip)

(Apparently launches to blank screen while level loads - Don't fret).

DzX
31-05-2012, 09:24 AM
So it's Minecraft with traditional shooter mechanics and modes?

It just sounds like a mash-up of a range of different cool-sounding ideas that won't mesh particularly well with one another.

frightlever
31-05-2012, 09:38 AM
(make up your mind, DzX - for someone who's aggressively unimpressed, you sure were particular about getting that comment right.)

Looks insane. Definitely trying that out.

DzX
31-05-2012, 09:52 AM
(make up your mind, DzX - for someone who's aggressively unimpressed, you sure were particular about getting that comment right.)

Looks insane. Definitely trying that out.

I can change my mind after re-watching sections of the video can't I? [well that and I re-read my comment to find I was stating the same point in three different ways].

Thing is I've already played Minecraft, for a few dozen hours - as has the whole internet; and this is exactly what we constantly complain about AAA companies doing - throwing tried and tested mechanics onto tried and tested mechanics to produce the same games with better graphics and spectacle.

Evidently it's very early doors, and it's only two developers so we'll have to wait and see how the vast community interest effects their design philosophy [and if it's anything like Minecraft that'll turn out terribly] but there's nothing innovative or exciting in that video you won't have experienced in a slightly different graphical form elsewhere. With the exception being the 'infinite' space setting that sounds impossible to produce for a multiplayer environment.

Mistabashi
31-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Seems interesting, but also totally broken/unfinished in it's current state, so I guess they've got a long way to go still (they're calling it an early-alpha). Will definitely keep an eye on it though.

SirKicksalot
31-05-2012, 10:04 AM
I really don't like how it feels to play. It's annoyingly floaty and the interface doesn't work as well as I thought it would when I watched the video.
With a lot of polish it'll be a good game. As of now it's a lot less impressive than, say, Minecraft's first release.

jnx
31-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Very impressive*. This kind of stuff always reminds me of how Minecraft lacks so much of what I'd want it to have. Like, why on earth don't they have official 64x64 textures.

*Disclaimer, haven't played. Only watched the video.

Wodin
31-05-2012, 10:05 AM
I though it looked excellent..and it's FREE for gods sake.

I watched the vid below..love the terrain deformation and building a house nearly in space! After watching the vid I came here to post about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNLONygiL0Q

Vexing Vision
31-05-2012, 10:24 AM
That tickles my fancy a lot more than Minecraft ever did.

Will definitely eventually give it a spin (fusor).

Drake Sigar
31-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Aw I can't belive the video ended there. What happened, did he drop hundreds of miles from space through the Earth's atmosphere to hit the ground? I'm gonna' build myself a walkway to Mars!

NecroKnight
31-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Looks rather promising. I think I will wait for it to get more polished before playing.

Bleekill
31-05-2012, 03:15 PM
I just hope it runs well on my pc. I saw on reddit that it's not highly optimized yet but they want to get it running well on as many systems as possible.

QuantaCat
31-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Did anyone manage to get into space yet?

Also, for an alpha, there isnt much game yet. this makes me cautious, because I think they may be packing features in, instead of concentrating on making it a game at all.

Kodeen
31-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Did he say that it was boxal-based or voxel-based? I'm guessing boxal (didn't know that was word), because if it's voxels then my mind is completely blown.

Lightbulb
31-05-2012, 07:08 PM
I was going to just say 2 words: Do. Want.

Then I realised I could download it and having played it I definately think it has potential. :)

Looks like the ground is voxel based. Why is that so strange?

It has cool little features like you can climb up the boxes just by walking into them. Can't wait for an update to allow saving etc.