PDA

View Full Version : Straw Poll: Have you played Call Of Pripyat?

Rossignol
22-06-2011, 07:05 PM
And if not, why not?

SMiD
22-06-2011, 07:06 PM
I was intimidated by the first Stalker and never returned. I am ashamed.

Estel
22-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Pretty much what SMiD said: I've got so many games to play, that despite the number of incredible things I hear about CoP I've yet to pick it up and play it, despite the sales, mainly because I was never quite about to get into SOC. I guess I'm not too good at "tense" games generally.

Serenegoose
22-06-2011, 07:12 PM
The first Stalker game usually unnerved me sufficiently that I could never make any real progress in it. I enjoy it, for the small time I can play it until I quit, and if I ever finish it I'll probably pick up CoP.

botenhous
22-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Played it. Loved all of the series. Chernobyl was still my fav. Not sure if it is because it was my first or if it truly was better. Hits all the right notes for me. Bugs were present but a quick reboot usually fixed any issue. I even play again once the Complete mods were out for each title. Also feels good to have a title that caters to the PC crowd only. Once you get the mechanics, you don't put it down for days.

Rossignol
22-06-2011, 07:18 PM
These responses, combined with the number of people who said they were too scared to play Amnesia, leads me to the conclusion that RPS is the world's scardiest gaming website.

@Botenhous: I think Chernobyl is better.

Tikey
22-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Although I liked the first Stalker I never played any of the sequels. Mostly because I lacked the money and because my old computer couldn't handle them.

Schaulustiger
22-06-2011, 07:20 PM
And I thought I was the only one who was too intimidated by the first Stalker game. To be honest, I even own all three games and have an icon to CoP Complete on my desktop, but I just can't bring myself to play it. I guess I'm still scarred by Amnesia and not ready for another intense gaming thrill. Though I fully intend to play it some day, because I love pretty much every game with an open world and from what I've played, Shadow of Chernobyl was quite superb.

Edit:

These responses, combined with the number of people who said they were too scared to play Amnesia, leads me to the conclusion that RPS is the world's scardiest gaming website.
It's actually funny because no horror film or book scares me. But Amnesia... man, I felt like getting a severe heart attack and that was after five minutes when nothing had even happened yet.

2nd Edit:
I voted "yes" because I'm about 3 hours into CoP. My save game is deep at night, with strange beasts somewhere near me. I loaded that savegame a couple times and always thought "naaaaah, not in the mood for that kind of stuff".

measurements
22-06-2011, 07:21 PM
My 'yes' is kind of messing up the statistics. Yes I have played Stalker SoP. But for about ten hours. Every now and then I try and play it again but find almost everything that is not the environments is completely shoddy and inconducive to me enjoying myself. I know it's going for realism but guns just don't get damaged that quickly from use. They are guns, not toy guns repurposed. Similarly, you're a goddamn soldier and you can't sprint too far, get 'bleedy' at the first sign of a nibble and have to lie down for a very long time if you get shot (that one is okay). I find the UI unhelpful the shooting awkward and the enemies erratic. Even switching weapons seems like a laboured task. I remember the human AI being fucking useless on CoP too. Either they were prescient gods of death with night vision or a bunch of retarded blind infants. Nothing inbetween.

I really would like to play it. I really would. And I've tried so many times. It was so cool waiting in a big storm drain pipe watching the sky go red while an emission passed. If only I could garner a remote degree of satisfaction from the act of playing it.

And the complete mod didn't work (crashed on load screen 100% of the time) so that hope for viability went out too.

Serenegoose
22-06-2011, 07:23 PM

@Botenhous: I think Chernobyl is better.

I certainly bring up the average. I played the amnesia demo and quit the moment I seen the first monster. I never finished doom 3 or Fear and not because I didn't enjoy them. The only 'horror' games I've ever finished are the dead space series. It certainly doesn't help that every time I uninstall Stalker when I come back to it my saves are gone and I have to start again. There's only so many times I can play through the same bit before it becomes a repeatedly accidentally self-inflicted slog.

vinraith
22-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Got stuck on the first STALKER twice due to bugs. Keep meaning to come back to it, as it's very much my sort of game, but have a backlog the size of a small country and just haven't gotten there yet.

I've owned Call of Prpyat since it came out, but wanted to at least play SoC (and ideally Clear Skies) before tackling it, so here I am not having really played any of 'em yet.

SoC is high on the priority list for the next time I'm looking for a new game to start, though, so maybe I can correct all of this over this summer.

Colonel J
22-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Very mildly spooked by Shadow of Chernobyl - I was fine with Thief's Cradle level too, but Amnesia makes me scaredier than a 6 year old girl watching Doctor Who, I can't play it if in the house alone, I think it's the not having a gun in first person game that does it.

ZamFear
22-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Of course I have. One of the few games I picked up on release rather than waiting for a sale.

Also, is it weird to feel at home in a mutant infested swamp?
(If you're not an infesting mutant, that is.)

Kablooie
22-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I've played Metro 2033 and similar games, but not Stalker. Mostly as I've heard it's buggy, but, hell, I hear that about Fallout3. I've found that -generally - the more powerful a computer you have the less bugs you experience. Generally.

I'm still interested in Stalker, but it hasn't been on my radar lately. Not interested in Amnesia, not my cup of tea, although I like horror-related games. You have to gimme a gun, though. ;)

pakoito
22-06-2011, 07:51 PM
I first tried a run&gun approach and died a lot. Couple that with bugs galore made me lose interest.

Now I may re-take it with Complete Mod.

MashPotato
22-06-2011, 07:58 PM
FPSs make me dizzy. I can't even play Portal :(

pakoito
22-06-2011, 08:12 PM
FPSs make me dizzy. I can't even play Portal :(Portal and Prey are quite difficult to get into and can even get dizzy usual FPS players. Damn! I sometimes had to look for a reference on a wall to see what was where. And Valve did put a "THIS SIDE UP" one, those level design geniuses.

lhzr
22-06-2011, 08:31 PM
i haven't played it yet because i waited for the complete mod to come out and when it did, i was already playing other stuff (that didn't require that much of a time investment). basically whenever i thought about giving it a shot, i had that "naaaaah, not in the mood for that kind of stuff" that Schaulustiger is speaking about. same with amnesia. basically i ended up playing pretty much everything else i had in my gaming queue, besides these two :(

Kadayi
22-06-2011, 08:34 PM
I still have to complete the original game in it's entirety first (it's the rules). I do own CoP though.

Also not a big fan of the labs it has to be said.

Kurina
22-06-2011, 08:39 PM
I have played all three titles and absolutely love them. The first time I played, it spooked me quite a bit. I have never been a fan of such games, but I kept with it and was so glad I did. I adore the series now, and I still feel it has some of the best atmosphere found within a video game. As for Call of Pripyat specifically, it is definitely one of their most polished and enjoyable releases, although the original remains my favorite.

golden_worm
22-06-2011, 08:52 PM
I have it, and I love the first one, but I've just not got around to CoP yet. I keep trying to get through SoC again, as the first time was on an underpowered computer without the benefit of the complete mod, but I haven't been able to dedicate the time. Or maybe I am just scared.

Also the swampy starting area kind of put me off when I tried it on a "see how it runs" test a while back. I fell down a hole and got eaten by something in the dark. I am sure it gets better later, but I was not instantly hooked which is what it would have needed to keep me from reverting to SoC.

westyfield
22-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Yes. I've played all the way through Call of Pripyat, but I've never finished Shadow of Chernobyl. I got stuck in SoC, either through my own stupidity or from a bug, and I haven't gone back to it yet.

The JG Man
I haven't played it. My excuse is that I've been absent from PC gaming for a bit and before, my PC's lowly Radeon 9600 Pro couldn't handle much.

However, I like trying new games, especially those recommended. What makes it stand out? Is there a particular game in the series I should go for first?

J Arcane

Heh heh. I feel their pain though. I have a severe weakness to FPS horror. I can play third-person horror games just fine, but something about the immersiveness of the FPS perspective puts me way to "into" it, and I get really freaked out, and since I have a weak heart that's actually sort of dangerous for me. I had to stop Doom3 after like half an hour.

That wasn't why I voted no though, I just didn't play CoP because I though the first one was just rubbish. It was awkward, buggy, unnecessarily difficult, and badly translated, and what I saw of a friend playing CoP made it look frankly worse.

Mouth of 10000 Teeth
22-06-2011, 09:01 PM
CoP is one of my favourite gaming experiences of all time. There are weaknesses (could do with being a bit bigger, because some of the environments make you anticipate a kind of jumbosity that never quite materialises, for example) but the overall atmosphere is bordering on perfect. Actually, I might replay it on the hardest setting, as other than ArmA II all my other games aren't really grabbing me at the moment.

Vague-rant
22-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Whilst I'm terrified of even trying Amnesia, I played and enjoyed Call of Pripyat. No idea why I'm so reluctant to give it a go even, though I haven't even tried Amnesia.

I found myself preferring Chernobyl, but I'm not really sure why. I think it might be to do with the Faction missions. They didn't take up a whole lot of the game, but that one level at the Warehouses (I think) where Duty attack freedom, was seriously awesome. But overall, CoP is defintely the more polished game and I think part of that comes at the cost of proper factions.

Squiz
22-06-2011, 09:39 PM
No I haven't! My reasons in no particular order are: Terribly large backlog at the moment plus loads of work which further limit my gaming time; terrible, terrible amounts of good deals on games I ment to play for a long time (which prolongs reason #1); I only recently assembled a machine that is capable of running modern games at a sensible frame rate.

Apart from that, I am SO planning to play it, especially since I never tried any of the earlier Stalkers and have no real bias, apart from some positive opinions held by some hive mindies. Mive hindies. Mivindies.

mpk
22-06-2011, 09:46 PM
I have it installed, and have been waiting to get a new graphics card before playing it. Also, I need to (finally) complete the original STALKER - which is probably some form of hate crime against myself, since I loved the whole concept of the game from the original PCG article back in, christ, whenever it was. 2000?

Anyway, I now have the graphics card I need, but the Mass Effects and Dragon Ages caught my attention.

I promise I will play it before I die.

Creeping Death
22-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Played it, but not for very long.

I played the all the way through SoC and CS and when it cam to CoP I played for about 90 mins before quitting... Not that there is anything bad about the game, I think I just burnt myself out on Stalker over the years.

Maybe I'll go back to it eventually.

DainIronfoot
22-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Still haven't had time to finish Chernobyl :(

mlaskus
22-06-2011, 10:05 PM
I tried to play it a few times but it didn't click with me at all. Which is rather strange because I absolutely adore SoC. Oh, this is probably not a very popular opinion but I believe Stalker would be way better without monsters(mutated animals are fine). Every time they appeared they ruined the immersion for me. They are tedious, boring, stupid, pointless and not scary at all, and I get scared easily. I couldn't handle even the Amnesia's trailer.

sabrage
22-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I gave up on SOC because of the asinine mechanics (WHY DO MY GUNS SUCK SO BAD) so I never really got far. I mean to revisit it sometime soon, as I've been on something of an open-world kick.

Amnesia, on the other hand, gives me severe anxiety attacks every time I start it up.

Alez
22-06-2011, 10:17 PM
I played for a few hours.

So why you ask?

Joseph
22-06-2011, 10:20 PM
It's on my "Going to play before all these other games come out" list, which is getting larger by the day. It's interested me for a long while but I've been put off getting it a few times because I'm a massive sissy-mary.

TheLastBaron
22-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Like alot of people, I just havent finished SoC

Flint
22-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Nope. Shadow of Chernobyl is still in my Steam list's "unplayed" section after I got it from a Christmas sale, not touching the sequels until I've at least played the first one.

DarkNoghri
22-06-2011, 11:32 PM
I've started in on SoC twice now, and never got past the ~second area, with the junkyard? It just wasn't that interesting to me.

Still, I've been meaning to go back and try again. Sometime. Which is sort of why I own CoP as well. I'm planning to play them. Eventually.

Jockie
22-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Played and finished CoP, probably just about my favourite Stalker title, beating SoC marginally. I liked the fewer, larger zones approach, it felt less like I was being funneled down the same route as everyone else and the side-quests were more fleshed out. My two main complaints were that the ending was quite sudden and that the gunplay (i suppose it's not neccessarily what Stalker is about, but it's still an fps) felt a bit dated.

Alex Bakke
23-06-2011, 12:00 AM
I've got both SoC and CoP. I have played SoC for around 4 hours now, but I find it too scary. Even against dogs and the slightly larger mutants. I might load up CoP.

(Don't even get me started on amnesia.)

phenom_x8
23-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Yes, I 've played it wihthout mod of course! Want to replay it with those complete mod installed someday! This game (and SOC) ,along with Metro 2033, is the best atmospheric game I've ever played!
I just didnt know how eastern european dev always able to catch the atmosphere they wanted to put in their game! Its perfect, it can criticise one another without being harsh (Roadside Picnic and its author was mentioned as a joke in the metro 2033 library section, its make me thinks that was awesome)

Unaco
23-06-2011, 12:29 AM
I played SoC years and years ago, around release. Did enjoy it for quite a while, but stability and appalling load times put me off eventually. I'd installed it from my brother's copy at the time, then couldn't reinstall when patches/fixes came out, so never played it fully. I think I must have had 1 patch or mod at least, because I definitely remember doing 2 playthroughs (neither finished)... but both times stability or performance or load times or a combination of all of them pushed me away.

I picked SoC and CoP up in a Steam sale for 7 late last year, and have sunk about 30 hours in CoP (from Steam counter... which doesn't mean much because I tend to spend hours procrastinating on chat or the like when playing). I've done almost all of the 1st Map area, and half of the second or so, was looking to move onto Pripyat itself. I did enjoy it, was a good game, but I do tend to play games in spurts... a week of one thing, then leave it for a month or two, pick something else up. Not as scary and tense as SoC, and I feel it missed certain parts of the atmosphere... after all these years, the Zone in CoP isn't quite as alien and foreboding as it was back when SoC first came out. The survival aspects are still there with the AI Life, but the feeling of being somewhere so different from what we know was missing. I also felt it misses something of the atmosphere with the other Stalkers... I didn't find my self stopping in the game with a group round a campfire at night, and stop in real life to have a smoke or something to eat, and just listen and soak in the atmosphere.

Also... I have Amnesia, but have only put in 1/2 hour or so. I need to find the right time to play it. There is something about video games, like SoC and Amnesia, in that, people who don't get scared or spooked from movies or haunted houses or anywhere in the real world like a dark forest or whatever (such as myself), can get terrified by a video game, even though rationally they know there is no danger, it's not real, nothing can actually hurt them. Probably something to do with interactivity, that the character in game is an extension of the self, yadda yadda yadda.

Spacewalk
23-06-2011, 03:28 AM
I own it and I'm having a tough time deciding if I like it or SOC more. But what I am certain of is COP's packaging: a tin case with what looks like a painted over screenshot from the game on it covered by a plastic slip with all the back of the box blurbs. It's all lovely and it just screams special edition. Makes all of the plastic DVD cases on my shelf look disappointing in comparison.

P7uen
23-06-2011, 03:40 AM
After about 10 aborted attempts, finally 'got' SoC and never looked back, and it will always hold my heart over CoP or CS.

Still too scared to finish Amnesia. In the 150-odd hours of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games I've found more bags of Milky Ways than I have First Aid Kits.

Cable
23-06-2011, 04:04 AM
I bought SoC a while ago in a sale and tried to play it a bit with the complete mod but never really got into it and there are so many other games in my backlog i just moved on. I'll come back to it (soon hopefully) then i suppose i'll play CoP if i end up enjoying it. (i am also terrified of amnesia)

Rii
23-06-2011, 05:35 AM
Overly bleak games aren't really my thing, nor horror. I can watch bleak and/or horrifying films (although I've no interest in 'slasher' pics) and indeed am something of a sucker for such things. But with films, no matter how engaging, I'm only an observer. With a game it's different - although I can still appreciate titles like The Void and Limbo - but as the level of immersion increases so does my aversion, and realistic FPS is pretty much at the extreme of that continuum. So no, I haven't played Amnesia either. I'm glad that the Stalker games exist in terms of what (by all accounts) they bring to the genre, their subject matter, and their being developed in Russia and succeeding in the west... but I don't think they're for me.

That said, I'm about to grit my teeth and make a go of Resident Evil 4 on the Wii - as opposed to watching my brother play through it on GCN which is how I first experienced the game those years back. So we'll see.

Toamouse
23-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Never got round to to finishing the first due to bugs which smegged things up/hdd failures etc.

I keep meaning to go back and do it but with all the decent games out recently I've failed to reinstall it (I wish I could say due to the weather however being Scotland all we bloody get is rain)

Mihkel
23-06-2011, 07:13 AM
I very much so like Call of Pripyat and think that in some sense it is a better game than Shadow of Chernobyl mainly because it's the first time GSC Gameworld have gotten their shit right, even the russian version was very playable with the google translation (fuck yes wizard difficulty). But the game felt a little bit empty, only 3 areas and there could've been more artifacts and sidequests in my opinion.

Edawan
23-06-2011, 12:28 PM
No.

I tried the demo of STALKER, got bored and annoyed, uninstalled it before the end.

Jams O'Donnell
23-06-2011, 12:36 PM
I have played it but I didn't stick with it after getting unfairly assaulted by snarks near the beginning one time too many. I'm sure I'll play it again at some point, but I didn't like how unguided it all felt. I'm all for a more open world, but I'd like to have some sense of what I'm meant to be doing in it.

Shadow of Chernobyl, on the other hand, I've played to completion many times.

Wolfdust
24-06-2011, 08:38 AM
I played all three. CoP was my favorite - aside from shortness of it! Great game but... too little game. You barely have anything left to do by the time you get fun goodies like a SEVA or an Exoskeleton that can sprint. Loved the repair and upgrade mechanics, the artifact-hunting, and the MQ was kinda interesting, it was a bit different playing from the perspective of a government agent rather than a self-interested Stalker.

kataras
24-06-2011, 09:12 AM
I played all three as they came out (I even liked Clear Sky) but my favourite is still SoC. The other two just don't have the same levels of atmosphere in them... But they do have better mechanics (artefact hunting, upgrading of suits/weapons). CoP was nice and I enjoyed it but somehow I wasn't that scared, the Zone is much less oppressive there. I don't know if it's too bright, or too few anomalies or the fact that no one is really hostile to you except from the mutants. I mean if it is right after the shutting down of the C-Con, shouldn't it be chaos in the Zone, everyone fighting for control, a la Clear Sky? I hope STALKER 2 manages to retain the first's atmosphere with the gameplay improvements of the other two.

But if you find yourself missing the 1st STALKER and you have many free hours to waste, you should try this (12 Giga) mod:http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr&lang=en . New parallel quests, new maps, lots and lots of anomalies everywhere, google english and lots of running away screaming from mutants. It's how the Zone should have been in my opinion. Unforgiving! Only draw back is the not-so-good translation and that it's not very stable (especially the new maps).

EDIT: Pf linking to that forum never works. Anyway if you are interested, go to mod discussion section and look for this mod's thread :<~Narodnaya Soljanka : DMX 1.32 : dkz-02~>

Led Zeppelin
24-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Yes and it's awesome

Nihilille
24-06-2011, 09:46 PM
SoC I'd argue is probably the game that is most "Stalker", its gruesomely difficult until you get better equipment and horrendously nasty down in the labs. The story is also satisfying all the way to the end. CoP is probably still a game I enjoyed playing more though, it's just so beautifully optimized and runs so well on my computer, and the missions and anomalies and stashes just make the world feel so much more alive, even if there aren't roaming factions etc. The ending was a bit of a punch in the balls though, and Pripyat itself could easily have benefitted from 5-10h more quests and gameplay.

About the scaredy bits. I absolutely hate horror games and horror movies, I've got a week heart and a vivid imagination about dark corners, but since Stalker is such an awesome awesome setting I forced myself into it, and I find that once you come to terms with the fact that 'Okay, he's got psychic powers and looks like a walking tumor and scares the shit out of me, that tumorhead is also quite a big target for my assault rifle' they really cease to be scary anymore. I thought Bioshock 1 was a bit overwhelmingly scary too until I realised that you were immortal, really took the edge off.

TheTourist314
24-06-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm still trying to work through SoC. It's SOOO incredibly difficult. Also, I didn't know you could trade with everyone until a friend of mine mentioned doing so. But! Even with this trading thing, it's still pretty dang tough. I like the spirit of it, it feels a bit dated now to me though. Also, I die a lot.

TheTourist314
24-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Never got round to to finishing the first due to bugs which smegged things up/hdd failures etc.

Eww, "smegged" is the worst verb I've heard in a long time.

airtekh
25-06-2011, 06:34 PM
I own Call of Pripyat but it is currently third in my list of 'games I've bought but haven't had time to play yet'.

I played the first game (with the Complete mod) and loved it to bits, skipped Clear Sky as I heard it wasn't great.

outoffeelinsobad
25-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Yes. I think it's better than SoC.

Drake Sigar
25-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Haven't played a Stalker game. It's on my list...

Eww, "smegged" is the worst verb I've heard in a long time.
Frell off!

Urthman
25-06-2011, 10:58 PM
It's on my list. I've just got a bunch of other games ahead of it.

CMaster
25-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Yes. I even finished it, despite hitting a massive bug that made me have to redo ~5-6 hours of gameplay.
It felt like it never quite reached the heights of SoC, but it certainly did a lot of the little things better.

symple19
26-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Yes, and loved it! The S.T.A.L.K.E.R games are absolutely top-notch. It's one of the only series I find myself coming back to again and again (played through all of them at least 3 times). They are difficult, rewarding, and won't hold your hand. I've noticed that I find something new every time I return to play one.

First, if you're going to play them, do so with the "Complete" MODS. They are essential! http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/ Mr. Dolgov and friends have done a great job polishing them off, making them mostly bug-free and far more visually appealing without changing the wonderful atmosphere or adding too many things. Also, for those who think CoP is a bit too empty, there is the S.M.R.T.E.R mod (http://www.moddb.com/mods/smrter-pripyat/images/smrter-pripyat-0451) which changes a lot and makes it far more difficult. I would suggest playing through with the "Complete" mod first, though.

The gun battles are, imo, the best there is. Got a stock AK? It's going to be inaccurate (until you upgrade) and will rise on you unless you utilize short, controlled bursts. Tracers and ricochet's are the most realistic I've ever seen in a game (I'm an Iraq vet). Guns feel nice, will jam on you if you don't care for them, and will reward the hell out of you once you've upgraded. Watching a firefight from afar at night is awesome, tracers streaking and bouncing about as the two sides go at each other.

The world around you feels amazingly alive due to the ambitious (although not perfect) A-life system. Whether you decide to interact or not, factions will fight it out, stalkers will probe anomalies for artifacts, packs of mutants will maul roaming bandits, bodies will be looted, etc. And that's just to list a few. The random sounds and abrupt changes in weather. Emissions striking when you're in the middle of nowhere. All add to what, imo, is the most immersive and atmospheric game out there.

The RPG elements are probably my favorite thing. Looting, upgrading, and managing your loadout are all very important. Going out at night? Better not until you have a night vision equipped suit (sleep til' daytime instead). Going on a deep raid? Better have plenty of food and medkits. Entering an area that has a certain type of anomaly? Plan ahead and make sure you're ready for it by equipping the right artifact and carrying the proper meds. Need to get sneaky? Pack that silencer or bring the weapon that already has one. You will be punished for not thinking ahead. Attacking an area in daytime can be drastically different than attacking the same point during the day (especially SoC)

Save often!!!! And then save some more!!! You're gonna die a lot until you've played it for awhile. This may be the best advice you'll ever get in regards to this series.

For those wondering which order to play them in, I would suggest playing Clear Sky first since it's the prequel, then SoC and CoP. The story unfolds much better in that order, for me anyway. The only thing is that CS and CoP are very similar in terms of UI/upgrade ability/artifact hunting, while SoC is quite different which might be a deal breaker for some. Whatever you do, definitely play CoP last since it sums up the story quite nicely. (yes, I wanted more too, but you have to look at the story as a trilogy instead of one at a time)

The strongest points of each one, for me, are as follows:

SoC: Atmosphere and story. Definitely the best story-arc and also the scariest one, especially the underground areas. It's probably also the hardest installment in the series.

CS: Firefights and faction wars. Easily the busiest one, you'll never wander very far without having to shoot it out with someone/something. It also contains my favorite map of the whole series, the Red Forest.

CoP: While all three have some linear moments, the underground tunnel to Pripyat in this one is probably the best. Also, I thought they did the best job with mutants in CoP. Killing Burer's and Chimaera's is really satisfying.

I'll just end this by saying I really, REALLY, hope they don't fuck up this beautiful series by going multi-platform for S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2. I just can't see how they can improve upon it by having to constrain their developmental ambitions by stuffing this onto a PS3/XBOX. They've said (just like every dev does) that the PC version won't suffer, but has that ever been the case with any game...EVER? Not in my experience. Oh well... We'll all just have to wait and see, but I'm not sure if I can take another beloved series (Dragon Age/Supreme Commander, to name a few) going down the tubes because they have to cater to consoles.

cloudfrag
26-06-2011, 06:17 PM
SoC and CoP are my "go to" games when I know have a full weekend of uninterrupted gaming coming up. Stock up with supplies (IRL) on Friday night, then in to the Zone until Sunday night.

The Roadside Picnic (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roadside-Picnic-Masterworks-Boris-Strugatsky/dp/0575079789/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309108583&sr=8-1) (the book the game is based on) is a fantastic read too.

symple19
26-06-2011, 06:49 PM
I haven't read the book. How similar are the games to it?

cloudfrag
26-06-2011, 06:57 PM
In terms of the events it is not really similar at all, but GSC captured the feel and atmosphere of the Zone perfectly. Playing the game makes me want to read the book and vice versa, which I think is a very good sign. I highly recommend it if you like science fiction.

symple19
26-06-2011, 07:02 PM
In terms of the events it is not really similar at all, but GSC captured the feel and atmosphere of the Zone perfectly. Playing the game makes me want to read the book and vice versa, which I think is a very good sign. I highly recommend it if you like science fiction.

Love science fiction. I knew about the book, just didn't know they had it available in English. Thanks for the heads up!

Joseph
26-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Okay, I just bought CoS over Steam (And I'm downloading the complete patch/mod for it). I felt I'd have to one day and after reading this thread I felt I was really missing out on some gaming gold. Just so you know I'm by no means a brave gamer (What I mean by this is that I could get scared by Mario Kart) so it's quite daunting.
Oh you persuasive people.

KauhuK
26-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Best "sanbox" FPS games I know. They start a bit slowly but once you get in its a blast. SoC is a bit better storywise but CoP is more fleshed out. Played both with complete mod and have to agree that they have very good atmospehere. The weather effects especially in CoP are (with complete mod) best i've seen in any game.

Cooper
26-06-2011, 11:37 PM
These responses, combined with the number of people who said they were too scared to play Amnesia, leads me to the conclusion that RPS is the world's scardiest gaming website.No, I don't think so...

I think it's more that no one feels worried about discussing being scared here. I can write here on the comments threads about how a frightening situation in Amnesia made me close it down, and kept me from loading it up for weeks as simply the -thought- of being back in the situation made me shiver. (I eventually completed it) Many other places of discussion would not have responded anywhere nearly as friendly and sympathetically as here...

Veracity
27-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Haven't played SoC, either. Rarely like manshoots (or grotesque abomination shoots) and have limited patience with ambitious glitchfests, so not terribly enthusiastic. Do have them, they've just never bubbled to the top of the couple of hundred or so games I'll theoretically get around to playing one day.

RobF
27-06-2011, 12:35 AM
While all three have some linear moments, the underground tunnel to Pripyat in this one is probably the best.

Absolutely. It's one of the most masterfully pitched moments in a game, definitely. Both in the descent into the tunnel and coming out the other side alive. Breathtaking and terrifying all at once.

I have been working my way incredibly slowly through CoP since late last year now. I keep getting interrupted by being knocked down IRL but it's been a constant, I don't think pleasure is the right word but y'know, amazing thing when I get the chance.

Pretty close to the end now and I'm kinda sad I'll be closing the door on this one for a bit. It's astounded me, terrified me and more than that, unnerved me fairly often. Those little nippy shits can do one, though ;)

edit: It's also my most screenshotted (http://steamcommunity.com/id/rroddbob/screenshots/?tab=public&showdate=1&filter=app_41700) game (spoilers, obv)