PDA

View Full Version : First new-build in a long time.. Opinions?

Slychocobo
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Pretty much as the title, been a while since I last upgraded my PC (Moving up from a Q6600 and a GTX 260 GPU) and finished producing a new machine to buy...

Annoyingly I've already made the purchase but its a case of "Have I made a huge mistake?"

So far I've gone with the following parts..

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache
MSI HD 7850 Twin Frozr III OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Cards
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3X2K28GX)
BitFenix Shinobi "Core" USB3.0 Gaming Case - Black
Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler (Socket 754939940AM2AM2+AM3LGA775LGA1155LGA1156LGA1366)
CoolerMaster 600W Silent Pro Modular PSU
Crucial 128GB M4 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III

All in all, ruonds out at about 800..

djbriandamage
01-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Looks good to me, although if I was building it I'd go for triple channel RAM and buy DIMMs in multiples of 3. If you plan to upgrade to Windows 8 I would highly recommend getting as much RAM as you can afford, and RAM today is cheaper than it's ever been. I'd go for 24GB since Windows 8 does such a good job of caching executables and loading them straight from memory.

I'm also a little skeptical of your choice of case. You're opting for a third party CPU cooler so I'd run with that theme and go for a case designed to dissipate heat. I'm a fan of the Cooler Master HAF (High Air Flow) series.

Otherwise I think you've done a good job of selecting parts and this machine will last you a good 3-4 years, playing games at max details at max resolution.

Slychocobo
01-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Looks good to me, although if I was building it I'd go for triple channel RAM and buy DIMMs in multiples of 3. If you plan to upgrade to Windows 8 I would highly recommend getting as much RAM as you can afford, and RAM today is cheaper than it's ever been. I'd go for 24GB since Windows 8 does such a good job of caching executables and loading them straight from memory.

I'm also a little skeptical of your choice of case. You're opting for a third party CPU cooler so I'd run with that theme and go for a case designed to dissipate heat. I'm a fan of the Cooler Master HAF (High Air Flow) series.

Otherwise I think you've done a good job of selecting parts and this machine will last you a good 3-4 years, playing games at max details at max resolution.

Heh, kind of wrote this post as I was rushing out to work :D

24GB of ram sounds like a hell of a lot.. Do you need particular type of RAM for this "Triple-Channel" feature? (Actually going over the specs for the motherboard again it only makes mention of Dual-Channel RAM under the memory description. Perhaps the board does not support it?)

As for the case, I know what you mean actually, I did have my eye on the CoolMaster models but the price (Almost twice what the Bitfenix cost) would have drove me outside of my budget :(

But I was under the impression that the Bitfenix models were also designed with cooling in mind, both cases can fit 2-4 200mm/120mm fans?

Feldspar
01-06-2012, 06:22 PM
24GB of ram sounds like a hell of a lot.. Do you need particular type of RAM for this "Triple-Channel" feature? (Actually going over the specs for the motherboard again it only makes mention of Dual-Channel RAM under the memory description. Perhaps the board does not support it?)

I was under the impression that chipsets for that processor used a dual-channel memory controller, in any case a motherboard will support dual- or triple-channel, but not both. 24Gb does sound like a hell of a lot, I'm not using the 8Mb I have, but then I'm not up to speed with Windoze 8. You can always double your memory laterif you feel the need to.

djbriandamage
01-06-2012, 06:54 PM
It looks like only the i7 CPUs support triple channel RAM. Sandy Bridge i5's only support dual channel. I apologize for steering you the wrong way there.

That Bitfenix case is built to handle several fans but I'm not sure about the placement. With the power supply at the bottom that case really needs a corresponding fan in the front to pull in cool air, feeding the heated air out a vent at the top. It looks like the only air intake is above the PSU which will add a little heat. If you have pets or an otherwise dusty room you should opt for a bottom fan with a washable filter if possible.

8GB is fine for today but because the fabrication plants have so much overstock right now the prices are the cheapest in history. You can always add more RAM later but it would probably be cheaper to do that today. If you add more later just be sure it's got the same specs, or better yet, is the same brand and model. To be honest, you'll probably be perfectly happy with 8GB unless you're a real stickler, but 16GB will likely be just a few bucks more and will give you a small performance boost, especially while multitasking.

Slychocobo
01-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Aye I thought about getting the i7, but given that the difference wont make that big of a difference in gaming and in a i5 you get more bang for your buck.. a ivybridge i5 seemed like the better call :)

roryok
02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I'd go for 24GB since Windows 8 does such a good job of caching executables and loading them straight from memory.

Wow really? With 32bit there was never any point in getting more than 4GB so I always just kind of assumed there was no point in having more than 8GB on 64bit. Now that I think about it, it sounds pretty stupid.

djbriandamage
05-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Wow really? With 32bit there was never any point in getting more than 4GB so I always just kind of assumed there was no point in having more than 8GB on 64bit. Now that I think about it, it sounds pretty stupid.

Windows 7 doesn't really make the most of your available RAM, but Windows 8 does a great job. It examines your habits and loads all your frequently used applications into memory during downtime. This allows your application executables to launch very quickly, even if you don't have a solid state hard drive.

Having lots of RAM really does speed up your PC, though, and it's one of the cheapest upgrades you can buy. It's especially handy if you multitask and\or keep lots of browser tabs open.

24GB of fast DDR3 RAM goes for about $200 nowadays.