PDA

View Full Version : Creating a micro-cloud gaming setup in my living room

roryok
05-06-2012, 12:15 PM
I've got a desktop gaming rig with a nice big 27" monitor in an office room on which I play games. However, sometimes I just want to sit on the couch and play on my laptop. The laptop has an average GPU (ATI x1600 that I have run bioshock on), so it could probably manage some of the lesser games. However, I don't want the hassle of having to install a game I already have on the machine in the other room and synching save games just to play it from the couch.

What I want is to use something like Remote Desktop to connect the laptop to the gaming PC. Is anyone else doing this? Or has anyone heard of this? In this age of cloud gaming and streaming music / video etc from another PC this must be possible.

UPDATE: I should point out I have tried simply using Remote Desktop and it doesn't work, since RD it actually renders the desktop using the client machine - even if it did actually work, the client GPU would be doing all the rendering.

I should also add that I don't mind if the end result is quite low res

trjp
05-06-2012, 01:55 PM
What you're talking about isn't possible - what you want is, essentially, OnLive's server for your main PC and OnLive's client for your laptop but there's nothing around which does that for your own PCs (that I've seen).

It's also doubtful your main PC is powerful enough to run a game and encode it's video quickly enough to avoid lag (OnLive and other services use some pretty lairy hardware to do that and they still have lag).

The solution is to use OnLive/GaiKai/whatever other services are around in the first place surely?

Heliocentric
05-06-2012, 02:51 PM
What you're talking about isn't possible - what you want is, essentially, OnLive's server for your main PC and OnLive's client for your laptop but there's nothing around which does that for your own PCs (that I've seen).

It's also doubtful your main PC is powerful enough to run a game and encode it's video quickly enough to avoid lag (OnLive and other services use some pretty lairy hardware to do that and they still have lag).

The solution is to use OnLive/GaiKai/whatever other services are around in the first place surely?

How about this https://www.homeplug.org/home/edit
Specially this
http://www.homeplug.org/tech/av2/

djbriandamage
05-06-2012, 03:08 PM
I think your best bet is to write some batch files that synchronize your savegame folders between computers and use Windows Task Scheduler to run them regularly. There's really no way to do a desktop streaming solution as you describe.

You are the perfect customer for OnLive, though. You might consider trying their services.

Winged Nazgul
05-06-2012, 03:16 PM
or Gaikai. They've been lining up some exclusives including MMO demos as well as exclusive access to Hawken before its official release.