PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling Windows...

DeathPig
06-06-2012, 06:37 PM
It has come to my attention that since I bought my laptop, I have yet to re install windows on it. Which is oddly depressing as I bought it on April 1, 2011.

The problem is, I don't have any of my game installations with me right now, and I really want to reinstall Windows, as it's been showing odd .NET errors. Almost all of them are DVDs, as the internet speed here is abysmally unreliable to depend on digital downloads. And ever since my laptop DVD drive started going bonkers, I backed up all my DVDs to a spare USB hard drive, which is not in my possession right now.

Is there any way for me to reinstall windows on my PC, without losing the playability games? I can back up saves, no doubt. But I want to be able to play them right after installing windows, and updating my drivers. Is there any way to do this, or am I lost?

djbriandamage
06-06-2012, 09:29 PM
First of all, are your games installed on the same drive or partition as your operating system? If so then this will be more of a juggling act.

I always keep my games on a separate partition for this very reason. Steam is the best - once I've reinstalled my OS I just download and install Steam overtop of where it used to be, and it's immediately aware of all the games I have downloaded. You'll still have to "install" the games (DirectX, .NET, and other middleware bundled with each game). You may have to back up and restore your savegames independently to resume where you left off in each game.

For your other games, your mileage may vary. Some games install content to your Windows folder and won't work after a simple reinstall. Some will work fine. Some will need some massaging, with no-CD cracks for example.

If your games are on the same partition as the OS you want to obliterate then you'll have to find somewhere to back them up or move them. It will take quite some time if you have many games.