PDA

View Full Version : Building an Arma 3 capable PC.

Grizzly
07-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Recently, I have moved from my rural village of birth to the city of Amsterdam, and now live in roughly two places at once. The time has come to build a new computer. The computer I use at home is unfortunately starting to show its age, and it never really was mine to begin with.

So I want a new PC, and build a neat new setup. There is only one requirement:
The PC must be capapble of running the upcoming Arma 3 game (At which point it will be capapble of running everything else I want to play anyway).

To narrow it down a bit, I have already decided on my screen: A 19 inch Syncmaster Widescreen running at a resolution of 1366*768 (http://gistron.com/info/42109?). This is a much smaller screen then the Syncmaster 24 inch I currently use (which I think is waaay to big) and much bigger then the 10 inch I am writing this on (which is a bit too small for some of my tastes).
I have also decided on the motherboard and the CPU and the memory cards, as I found This little package (http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/ALTERNATE/Upgrade_Kit_MSI_H61M-E33_%28B3%29-i5_2320-8GB/1001456/?tk=7&lk=4850) which contains a MSI motherboard, an Intel I5 2320, and 8gbs of memory --- Arma can be rather CPU intensive, and the I5 is a CPU with a lot of ... lasting appeal, which for me is a big requirement since upgrading a CPU often requires upgrading the motherboard.

Which leaves me with several questions:
1) Is this monitor a good choice? I really like the samsung I have now - but if there are much cheaper 19 inch widescreens (or 20 or 21 inch - just be carefull that it does not get too big) which work just fine for you, I'd like to know.
2) Is the motherboard and memory a good choice? I have no doubts about the CPU, but a collegue of mine said that he did not like MSI all that much.
3) What graphics card should accompany this all? Since I only have to run this thing at a 1366*768 resolution, I am thinking I might be able to save a lot of money on my graphic cards choice, but I am doubting on just how much.
4) What case should I put this in? I have just the same case for over 10 years, so I am clueless on that department.
5) Same with power supply.

soldant
07-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Nothing really wrong with MSI in my books. People will tell you that you must use ASUS or Gigabyte, but to be honest every Asus board I've ever owned has been as good or worse as the others.

You're right that the ARMA games are CPU intensive but they're also graphically intensive, so you'll need a very beefy GPU to go along with it. Actually they thrash pretty much everything, and whatever you do I feel very safe in saying that the game will run like absolute arse on release. On everything. Maybe wait for the other nVidia 6x0 range to come out and judge then, you've got a while till ARMA3 lands.

May I query why you need a small-ish monitor?

Kamikaze-X
07-06-2012, 05:50 PM
First off, arma3 isn't out yet. How can we advise on a pc to run it without knowing how it will run on any pc?

Regarding case and powersupply, I very much recomend that you scrap whatever it is and start fresh. The hardware you will need for a gaming pc puts out much more heat than they did 10 years ago,and draws much more power.

Heliocentric
07-06-2012, 07:51 PM
So first you'll need a time machine.
Got that? Once you've defeated the cyborg crab men that govern time disturbances all you need to do is travel to 2049 and buy a micro laptop for 5.(10p pre inflation).

Wolfenswan
07-06-2012, 09:07 PM
So first you'll need a time machine.
Got that? Once you've defeated the cyborg crab men that govern time disturbances all you need to do is travel to 2049 and buy a micro laptop for 5.(10p pre inflation).

He might even get a glimpse of the Half Life 3 pre-alpha.

Hilarious joke aside, here are the A3 system requirements:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/19/arma-3-system-requirements-revealed/

Alex Bakke
07-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Recently, I have moved from my rural village of birth to the city of Amsterdam, and now live in roughly two places at once. The time has come to build a new computer. The computer I use at home is unfortunately starting to show its age, and it never really was mine to begin with.

So I want a new PC, and build a neat new setup. There is only one requirement:
The PC must be capapble of running the upcoming Arma 3 game (At which point it will be capapble of running everything else I want to play anyway).

To narrow it down a bit, I have already decided on my screen: A 19 inch Syncmaster Widescreen running at a resolution of 1366*768 (http://gistron.com/info/42109?). This is a much smaller screen then the Syncmaster 24 inch I currently use (which I think is waaay to big) and much bigger then the 10 inch I am writing this on (which is a bit too small for some of my tastes).
I have also decided on the motherboard and the CPU and the memory cards, as I found This little package (http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/ALTERNATE/Upgrade_Kit_MSI_H61M-E33_%28B3%29-i5_2320-8GB/1001456/?tk=7&lk=4850) which contains a MSI motherboard, an Intel I5 2320, and 8gbs of memory --- Arma can be rather CPU intensive, and the I5 is a CPU with a lot of ... lasting appeal, which for me is a big requirement since upgrading a CPU often requires upgrading the motherboard.

Which leaves me with several questions:
1) Is this monitor a good choice? I really like the samsung I have now - but if there are much cheaper 19 inch widescreens (or 20 or 21 inch - just be carefull that it does not get too big) which work just fine for you, I'd like to know.
2) Is the motherboard and memory a good choice? I have no doubts about the CPU, but a collegue of mine said that he did not like MSI all that much.
3) What graphics card should accompany this all? Since I only have to run this thing at a 1366*768 resolution, I am thinking I might be able to save a lot of money on my graphic cards choice, but I am doubting on just how much.
4) What case should I put this in? I have just the same case for over 10 years, so I am clueless on that department.
5) Same with power supply.

Honestly the best thing to do whenever enquiring about hardware choices, is to give us a budget. Otherwise, we'll have to go back and forth on stuff because it's too expensive/not expensive enough.

soldant
08-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Hilarious joke aside, here are the A3 system requirements:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/19/arma-3-system-requirements-revealed/
Hahaha, oh man, I love how you said jokes aside and then posted an even bigger joke. My friend, you are too much.

Sketch
08-06-2012, 01:28 AM
They seemed to have missed out the most important thing - patience.

I haven't forgiven them for turning my soldier's heads into triangles in Arma 1.

Harlander
08-06-2012, 09:36 AM
That was just a sneak preview of the Silent Hill mod.

Also:

RAM: 2GB

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Oh, Bohemia...

Heliocentric
08-06-2012, 10:08 AM
hahaha, oh man, i love how you said jokes aside and then posted an even bigger joke. My friend, you are too much.

iswydt&ietm

Unaco
08-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Apparently, the recent E3 Showcase was running on an i7 and single GTX 5 something card (I think, can't remember exactly what it was). I'm reasonably optimistic that they'll optimise, and refine the engine, etc. get good feedback from the Community Alpha, that sort of thing, and with the work on A2/OA/PMC/ToH and what that's done for them, they'll be releasing something that will run fairly well.

Edit: It was running on an i7 and a single GTX580, and pumping out a consistent 50-60fps. Reasonably high end card, but nothing terrifically exotic and, obviously, they would have had everything cranked up to max, several km viewdistance, and the like. More modest performance will be had by a more modest set up.

soldant
08-06-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm reasonably optimistic that they'll optimise, and refine the engine, etc. get good feedback from the Community Alpha, that sort of thing, and with the work on A2/OA/PMC/ToH and what that's done for them, they'll be releasing something that will run fairly well.
Heh, that's funny, because I can recall the same things being said with every release. "No, it'll be different this time! Really!" Take on Helicopters was abysmal on release too... and PMC was just an addon pack.

They may have been running that E3 demonstration but they've shown off similar things in the past and it's still been terrible on release. I'll wait to see the campaign running. I'm a cynic, but given their track record, I think I have good reason to be.

Unaco
08-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Heh, that's funny, because I can recall the same things being said with every release. "No, it'll be different this time! Really!" Take on Helicopters was abysmal on release too... and PMC was just an addon pack.

Heh, that's funny, because Arma3 isn't the previous games. What I meant by "the work on A2/OA/PMC/ToH" was the systems, pipelines, organisation and the like, that they put in place for patches, code changes etc. Yes, PMC was 'just an addon' but it also taught them a lot about, for example, their AI code in built up areas. Also, the A3 engine isn't as huge a leap from OA as A2 was from A1, and A1 was from OFP. Then there's the community Alpha.

Besides, even if there are issues on release, BiS have shown that they won't stop to get the game into a much better state with post release support, incorporating community suggestions, mods even.

Also, waiting for the campaign? You're doing it wrong.

djbriandamage
08-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Grizzly, what resolution is your current monitor? 1366x768 is quite low by today's standards and will seriously impact your ability to multitask, or even to run modern applications. You may want to reconsider the monitor.

soldant
09-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Heh, that's funny, because Arma3 isn't the previous games.
Um, neither was Arma2. Or Arma. Or ToH. All were bad on release though we always thought it'd get better. Hell Operation Flashpoint was broken on release too! History speaks against Arma3 being perfect (hell, even properly playable) on release.

Also, the A3 engine isn't as huge a leap from OA as A2 was from A1, and A1 was from OFP.
IIRC it's closer to ToH than A2 with some things patched into A2 after the fact, but they are pushing forward with some new things like a physics engine that actually makes some sense, so it's not like it's a minor revision. There's still plenty of scope for things to go wrong.

Then there's the community Alpha.
Normally BIS release it early in some other region, patch out some bugs, then push a 'fixed' version which still has major performance issues. Somehow I doubt this will significantly help.

Besides, even if there are issues on release, BiS have shown that they won't stop to get the game into a much better state with post release support, incorporating community suggestions, mods even.
This is entirely true and BIS are fantastic for release support. Don't take this as a criticism of BIS in their entirety, and I'll be purchasing A3 day one because I love the series and I know it'l get better. But they haven't got a day one release right so far with these sort of games. ToH was probably the closest they've come but even then performance was abysmal.

Also, waiting for the campaign? You're doing it wrong.
Yeah, because nobody plays SP Arma, they all play the buggy DayZ or hardcore milsim where everyone calls someone sir. Believe it or not plenty of people play SP but it highlights the flaws with the engine in many ways, namely with AI issues and how the AI significantly impacts performance. Hell, A2's free-roaming missions like Manhattan are some of the best examples of actual non-linear mission design which others should take notice of.

Shane
09-06-2012, 04:05 AM
They were running the E3 demo on a GTX 580.

Toppometer
09-06-2012, 02:06 PM
BI's choice to utilise PhysX for their vehicle handling is a little worrying, as I've not seen an implementation which works well on the CPU. If you've got a Radeon (like me) you're probably going to have some issues with frame rate...

Given you are planning to use a I5 2320, you might want to consider a Nvidia GPU to take some of the load. I would keep an eye out for the GTX 660 ti, due in July/August, as it should be more than enough to drive ARMA 3 at your resolution.