PDA

View Full Version : Screen tearing when watching videos online

Leopig
08-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Both my PC's are having the same problem of when i watch a lovefilm movie online I get loads of tearing. I know it is silverlight with a problem of tearing but wondered if anyone knew a way to force vsync. I have tried using it through AMD CCC (one PC has a HD6950 1gb and the other a HD5670 1gb) but it does nothing. Both PC's are linked up to HDTV's (one 24 inch and one 36") and in all games I turn on vsync and have no problems (apart from Metro 2003 which tearls like a bitch so I have never even got off the irst level), but for some reason movies online everything tears, but worst on lovefilm.

djbriandamage
11-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Your driver software should give you an option to force vsync globally rather than just specific to individual applications. You could try enabling this temporarily to see whether it solves the issue.

Or add an exception to force Vsync on your browser.

Leopig
12-06-2012, 02:20 PM
I never thought of forcing it onto browser, thanks great idea. I also recently download D3Doverdrive to fix the tearing on Metro 2033, so may that may work too.

djbriandamage
13-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Any news for us? I hope my advice helped.

Leopig
13-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah it did thanks. and it is better now, while it is not perfect, it is not glaringly obvious and distracting anymore. The D3Doverdrive thing didn't really do a lot, but I did notice if I stream HD videos of Lovefilm i get hardly any tearing.

Labbes
13-06-2012, 11:43 PM
That's because the closer the video resolution is to the native resolution of your display, the less screen tearing you should have. In theory at least.
(Afraid I'm not of any help fixing this though, I tried for half a year to fix this on my Ubuntu PC and my Windows laptop and I didn't succeed)

Kamikaze-X
14-06-2012, 08:28 AM
That's because the closer the video resolution is to the native resolution of your display, the less screen tearing you should have. In theory at least.
(Afraid I'm not of any help fixing this though, I tried for half a year to fix this on my Ubuntu PC and my Windows laptop and I didn't succeed)

errrrrrrr.... isn't screen tearing actually to do with refresh rate..... ie, a video shot at 25 FPS will show tearing on a screen with a refresh rate of 60Hz as it doesnt match.

Labbes
14-06-2012, 03:25 PM
That is correct, but for whatever reason videos with the native resolution of my display (meaning 1920x1080) didn't have the tearing, pretty much regardless of their refresh rate. Don't ask me why though.

Edit: That's why forcing v-sync on videos didn't do the trick for me.