PDA

View Full Version : So something just fried

goatmonkey
10-06-2012, 07:18 PM
My PC turned off unexpectedly (while I was away from it) and being the smart man I am I switched it back on where upon the there was a strong smell of burning plastic and a disturbing amount of smoke issued from the inside.

I believe the culprit is my graphics card as it smells strongly of burning (nothing else does) though there is no visible damage anywhere. (Really hope none saw me though the window smelling pc components)

My question; is it safe to give the pc a try with my spare card or do I risk further damage if the card has caused damage elsewhere? Also is the issue likely to be the graphics card or could a faulty PSU/motherboard be the cause of the problem?

Leopig
10-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Just plug your monitor into your motherboard first, it that works.

Alex Bakke
10-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Check the PSU. Mine set on fire once. I'd be surprised if the GPU caused the PC to shut down.

goatmonkey
10-06-2012, 09:29 PM
PSU seemed fine, haven't done a full boot (hard drives are staying away for now) but everything worked up the the point where it was looking for a boot disk with the other GPU.

Time to get onto EVGA for the second time in two years, at least their RMA service is fairly decent.

Boy does seeing smoke come out of more than a grands worth of hardware give you a shock.

Alex Bakke
10-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Boy does seeing smoke come out of more than a grands worth of hardware give you a shock.

Hah, yeah. I was playing a game and suddenly, flames in my case. No idea what caused that to happen. I'm glad it's only the GPU though - if the PSU had gone you could have lost a lot of stuff!

Kelron
11-06-2012, 12:37 AM
I'd be surprised if the GPU caused the PC to shut down.

Why? Graphics cards are designed to shut down at excessive temperatures.

Alex Bakke
11-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Sure, but I've never seen a GPU get to a high temp without another component causing the issue.

Heliocentric
11-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Dust did that to a gpu once, But then, it was like a freaking crypt when I opened it up.

Harlander
11-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Sure, but I've never seen a GPU get to a high temp without another component causing the issue.

I had the built-on fan of a GPU fail once.

Kelron
11-06-2012, 03:16 PM

My graphics card fan used to get severely clogged up with dust and would shut my PC down once it hit ~90 degrees C.

db1331
11-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Every time I've ever smelled burning coming from a PC, it's been a bad PSU.

goatmonkey
11-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Every time I've ever smelled burning coming from a PC, it's been a bad PSU.

Any way to test the PSU for faults? If there is a chance the problem is not just the GPU then I'm not to keen on running with my spare card. Ran with no problems for long enough to get the different driver downloaded and installed.

Haven't heard back from EVGA yet bit of a shame as I had multiple messages within one morning last time.

Mistabashi
11-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Any way to test the PSU for faults? If there is a chance the problem is not just the GPU then I'm not to keen on running with my spare card. Ran with no problems for long enough to get the different driver downloaded and installed.

Haven't heard back from EVGA yet bit of a shame as I had multiple messages within one morning last time.

You can buy a PSU tester, which will tell if it's outputting the (roughly) correct voltages. The fact that your system is working now means it probably wasn't a PSU issue though - a shitty PSU may take out other components if it dies due to not having proper over-voltage protection, but if your PSU is working it seems unlikely this could have happened. Hopefully you have a decent quality PSU, if not I'd suggest this is a good time to think about replacing it ;)

A graphics card dying is not uncommon though, and they're generally the most power-consuming single part in your system so it's not that uncommon for components on the board to fry when it happens.

goatmonkey
11-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Yeah the only part I have died before was my last GPU (no smoke though just a slow death of graphics artifacts), I have a Corsair HX850 which from the reviews I read at the time of purchase is a very reliable high quality PSU.