PDA

View Full Version : The Steam 2012 Summer Sale anticipation thread - Because it is Inevitable

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Giaddon
28-06-2012, 06:28 PM
The weekend / midweek deals are often posted late, I've seen them go up over an hour after one (USEST), sometimes.

Rauten
28-06-2012, 06:30 PM
The weekend / midweek deals are often posted late, I've seen them go up over an hour after one (USEST), sometimes.

Kinda strange in my region, it rarely ever delays beyond 10-15 minutes.

Anyway, it showed up now: 75% off Warhammah franchise. Whelp, so much for the last thursday of June.

TailSwallower
28-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Midweek Madness sale (LA Noire) is still up for another 5 and a half hours, so I'd wait and see what happens then. They'll either launch the weekend deal, or they'll launch the summer sale.

Only time... will tell.

vinraith
28-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Midweek Madness sale (LA Noire) is still up for another 5 and a half hours, so I'd wait and see what happens then. They'll either launch the weekend deal, or they'll launch the summer sale.

Only time... will tell.

Time already told. See above.

SirKicksalot
28-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I hoped Valve won't choose an Olympics theme for this sale, guess that's not the case.

Rauten
28-06-2012, 06:51 PM
That's... actually a terryfyingly possible possibility.

Insidious Rex
28-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Just had a look at the Warhammer franchise sale. I didn't realise how many little bits of nothing DLC Dawn of War II: Retribution has and I'm now a bit sad.

asskicker
28-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Just had a look at the Warhammer franchise sale. I didn't realise how many little bits of nothing DLC Dawn of War II: Retribution has and I'm now a bit sad.

You are correct, holy mother of god...

trjp
28-06-2012, 07:54 PM
I hoped Valve won't choose an Olympics theme for this sale, guess that's not the case.

Take all our money and spend it on following some wanker around the country with a gas burner - and then build a couple of white elephant stadiums and fuck the locals off by treating them like peasants before sending them the bill??

I can't see how that would work on Steam tbh - we're gamers, we have more sense than your average taxpayes :)

Tei
28-06-2012, 09:06 PM
The Olimpic guys like to sue everybody that mention the Olimpic. So is a no-no.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Olympics-organizers-aggressively-guard-trademarks-3639524.php

apricotsoup
28-06-2012, 09:21 PM
The Olimpic guys like to sue everybody that mention the Olimpic. So is a no-no.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Olympics-organizers-aggressively-guard-trademarks-3639524.php

Quite a few easy ways around it if they for instance happen to hold a "big games competition" and avoid any official names, logos, etc. Just something sports related, I could easily see this with themed days around various sports/athletic events.

Flint
28-06-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm probably the only one who's joyous about the delay in the sales, means I might actually be back around my gaming PC once the whole thing kicks in. [/selfish]

trjp
28-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Buy why would you want to get around it - why would you want to associate yourself with a global scam???

The IOC are a corrupt and greedy group of wankers - ideally, people would stop pandering to them and leave them with that they really own - which is the sum total of fuck all...

See also FIFA

trjp
28-06-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm probably the only one who's joyous about the delay in the sales, means I might actually be back around my gaming PC once the whole thing kicks in. [/selfish]

I don't get the 'delay' - the Summer Sale last year started on June 30th IIRC - and they tend to start on a Monday too.

I think the rumour mill is rubbing it's own balls here, tbh

Kodeen
28-06-2012, 09:29 PM
I don't get the 'delay' - the Summer Sale last year started on June 30th IIRC - and they tend to start on a Monday too.

I think the last two started on the last Thursday of June, which is why people were expecting today.

jp0249107
28-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Well this is frustrating.

Dr.Nick
29-06-2012, 02:11 AM
I'm expecting to lose a decent chunk of my last pay check to the steam sale. Kinda sad because all the events are going to begin the week I'm busy D:

oceanclub
29-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Damn; I was hoping to buy my nephew a few pressies in the sale for his birthday next week. Hope he'll be patient...

(And uh, of course, pick up a few things for myself.)

P.

Henke
02-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Shit is about to GO DOOOOOOOOOWWWWN! (I think)

edit: Damn! I was sure it was gonna be today.

trjp
02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
We haven't seen any flurries of games updating with new achievements - that normally precedes the big sales (as the new achievements tie-in to whatever promotion Valve have in mind).

That doesn't rule-out the sale - Valve are ever-more careful to guard this stuff and may organise all the updates to happen at-launch - but 'Summer' is a movable feast of a thing, they could easily have a sale anytime between now and the end of August and still call it 'Summer'.

renhoelder
02-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Damn Valve, I keep getting my hopes up.

vinraith
02-07-2012, 06:06 PM
For those wanting to anticipate the sale, keep an eye out here:

sAPI :: lastachievements (http://steamapi.techieanalyst.net/index.php?page=lastachievements)

As trjp says, there'll be a flurry of achievemetns added (for a diversity of games all at once) immediately prior, unless Valve is getting tricky on us. That said, I don't know what the point of being coy about this is.

alms
02-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Yesterday night seemingly the store was all glitchy and there were rumors that today was the day. I have no idea if they're planning to go stealthy on us but I could do without the false alarms.

trjp
02-07-2012, 06:10 PM
As trjp says, there'll be a flurry of achievemetns added (for a diversity of games all at once) immediately prior, unless Valve is getting tricky on us. That said, I don't know what the point of being coy about this is.

In the past they've done daft things like upload images for future day's specials and give-away how to achieve stuff by putting stuff into the registry which took the fun out of treasure-hunt quests etc. etc. - so I guess they just get more and more careful.

Also - announcing a Steam Sale is effectively telling people to stop buying games on Steam until it happens (and, in fact, is almost over and your wanted games haven't been daily specials) - hence they'll want to reduce that effect a bit :)

SirKicksalot
02-07-2012, 06:28 PM
The Steam sale is on Amazon this summer.

vinraith
02-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Also - announcing a Steam Sale is effectively telling people to stop buying games on Steam until it happens (and, in fact, is almost over and your wanted games haven't been daily specials) - hence they'll want to reduce that effect a bit :)

Interesting point, I wonder how that's playing out for them? That is, with everyone having expected the sale to start last Thursday based on the previous few years "last Thursday in June" precedent, I wonder if sales are up (due to people getting impatient) or down (due to people waiting for a sale that "might come any day").

Kodeen
02-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Interesting point, I wonder how that's playing out for them? That is, with everyone having expected the sale to start last Thursday based on the previous few years "last Thursday in June" precedent, I wonder if sales are up (due to people getting impatient) or down (due to people waiting for a sale that "might come any day").

I would guess down. People know it's coming, if Valve decided for whatever reason not to do it this year they would say so, so I imagine people are just sitting tight. The exception maybe being brand new titles that people want NOW and might not get a good discount anyway.

Plus, their recent daily deals have been fairly lackluster, which removes a reason that people might stop by the site every day, and maybe purchase something else while they're there.

alms
02-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Up or down won't really make any difference IMO, when they open the floodgates, money will rush in and make everything that came before look like a distant blip on the radar.

SirKicksalot
02-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Nothing launches on Steam between 4th and 24th July.

elephant god
02-07-2012, 08:31 PM
so currently the consensus is that it's starting this Thursday?

RobF
02-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Next Thursday, isn't it?

vinraith
02-07-2012, 08:53 PM

I don't think there is a consensus at this point.

Scumbag
02-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Just checking: Is this the third year valve would be doing a major summer sale?

Giaddon
02-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Yeah.67890

vinraith
02-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Yeah.67890

There have only previously been 2 of them? Really? Seems like more. How long have they been running Xmas sales?

Scumbag
02-07-2012, 10:30 PM
That was supposed to be a joke, but kinda interesting that the summer sale has only had two ones prior.

squareking
02-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Imagine there's no summer sale. It's easy if you try.

Tritagonist
02-07-2012, 10:46 PM

The rumour was July 15th, which is a bit odd considering it's a Sunday. The 12th is a Thursday, which is more in line with previous sales, but who really knows.

The JG Man
02-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Imagine there's no summer sale. It's easy if you try.

But how will I buy all the games I didn't realise I needed?

...I've only added The Sims to my list of purchases. God damn friend convincing me to be evil.

Scumbag
03-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Valve, like all good pushers, knew what they were doing: Get the punters hooked on the substance by offering it for cheap at first, then jack it up to full price when we least expect it. None of us need it, BUT WE FEEL WE MUST GET THAT FIX!

magnus1969
03-07-2012, 03:37 AM
I only grabbed one pack(old world blues) and now I desperately regret it.
Whaaaat? That was the best one!

Flint
03-07-2012, 06:59 AM
There have only previously been 2 of them? Really? Seems like more. How long have they been running Xmas sales?
2007, although the first one was somewhat different (shorter duration and flat out sale on everything instantly for the whole duration, rather than the dedicated days).

Leopig
03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Not that bothered about the Steam sales tbh, seem to be the same old tired games every year reduced. Very rarely they actually have a 'real' good deal. Just shifting the hard movers or rinsing the old titles.

TailSwallower
03-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Whaaaat? That was the best one!

I think Helio regrets not getting ALL THE PACKS.

sonson
03-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I don't really care if it doesn't happen, there's really only two/three games I want, and need none of them.

DWZippy
03-07-2012, 12:54 PM
But the hard movers are the best games to come up in the sale. I got Space Marine for a fiver last week. I feel great about it.

Heliocentric
03-07-2012, 01:57 PM
I think Helio regrets not getting ALL THE PACKS.

This is it.

Kadayi
03-07-2012, 02:05 PM
...I've only added The Sims to my list of purchases. God damn friend convincing me to be evil.

A much maligned but pretty enjoyable sandbox game tbh.

Leopig
03-07-2012, 03:13 PM
But the hard movers are the best games to come up in the sale. I got Space Marine for a fiver last week. I feel great about it.

I got that too, about the right price too. Multiplayer is horrible, but the single player is ok in little bursts.

Leopig
03-07-2012, 05:15 PM
https://www.facebook.com/Steam

We are planning to perform routine Steam server maintenance on Tuesday, July 3, 2012 around 2:00 PM PDT (GMT-0700) : http://bit.ly/GCu7aB

Is this the start of it?

vinraith
03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
I'd place a small wager on the 5th, given the available evidence, and a small wager on the 9th failing that. No guarantees, of course. I suppose a start on the 4th isn't impossible either. The 12th rumor would require either an abbreviated sale, or game launches during the sale (on the 24th), which seem unlikely but then who knows?

Speculating about this is more fun than the actual sale, during which I probably won't buy much of anything.

Rauten
03-07-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm going with Vinraith, it's gonna be the 5th; Notice how this time the midweek (75% on all C&C games) ends thursday instead of friday, and also 3 hours earlier than usual.

Prepare your wallets, ladies and gentlemen. The weekend is going to be rough.

renhoelder
03-07-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm going with Vinraith, it's gonna be the 5th; Notice how this time the midweek (75% on all C&C games) ends thursday instead of friday, and also 3 hours earlier than usual.

When you go to an individual game, it says the offer ends 6 July though. Doesn't mean the info on the main page is wrong though. Anyway, at least it not going to happen before that, unless they have changed their strategy.

vinraith
03-07-2012, 06:13 PM

Mid-week sales usually end on Thursday at 4 PST. In fact, shit, I think I'll have to withdraw my own prediction on that basis. If they were starting things up on Thursday that sale would have to end at 10 am PST, when they update.

I'd still put a small wager on the 6th or the 9th, but that 12th rumor is looking increasingly credible. That probably does mean an abbreviated sale, though.

renhoelder
03-07-2012, 06:15 PM
But Thursday is the day they've started the Summer Seal for the last 3 years, right?

Rauten
03-07-2012, 06:22 PM
On thursday? Well, on the 3 hours thing I was indeed wrong, but I know for a fact that midweeks last until friday, at least on Europe.

vinraith
03-07-2012, 06:22 PM
But Thursday is the day they've started the Summer Seal for the last 3 years, right?

Right, so if it's not this Thursday (which it's apparently not, based on the mid-week sale) then it's more likely next. That either means it won't be full length, or that a couple of games (Prototype 2 and Legend of Pegasus) are launching during the sale. I don't imagine the Steam sale figures strongly into the launch of a big publisher game like Prototype, but I'd be a bit surprised to see an indie project launch during a Steam sale.

vinraith
03-07-2012, 06:23 PM
On thursday? Well, on the 3 hours thing I was indeed wrong, but I know for a fact that midweeks last until friday, at least on Europe.

Huh, that's interesting. They always end on Thursdays in the U.S. these days.

Rauten
03-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Nevermind, the same friend that corrected me on the 3hour thing has once again corrected me, this time on the thursday/friday; It does last until friday night/early morning here, but only because of time zone differences, its always announced as 4PM Pacific.

TL;DR: I'm an idiot, disregard anything I've said.

Tritagonist
03-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Huh, that's interesting. They always end on Thursdays in the U.S. these days.
Yes, but that's at 16:00 Pacific, which is 01:00 Friday in Germany, and even later in Finland and Russia.

Edit; Like Rauten said.

F. Lynx Pardinus
03-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Mid-week sales usually end on Thursday at 4 PST. In fact, shit, I think I'll have to withdraw my own prediction on that basis. If they were starting things up on Thursday that sale would have to end at 10 am PST, when they update.
I feel like back in the day, both the previous sale ended and the new sale started at 1pm EST. Nowadays, previous sales end at 7pm EST, and new sales start at 1pm EST, giving a 6 hour overlap between the Midweek and Weekend Deal each week. So I don't think the ending time for the C&C sale would alter a 1pm EST start on Thursday if there was a Summer Sale.

Space Indaver
04-07-2012, 12:39 AM
I don't see why a midweek sale and the summer sale are mutually exclusive. Wouldn't it just mean C&C was on sale on the first day of the summer sale? What's wrong with that?

trjp
04-07-2012, 12:52 AM
I don't see why a midweek sale and the summer sale are mutually exclusive. Wouldn't it just mean C&C was on sale on the first day of the summer sale? What's wrong with that?

They tend to start sales on their 'changeover' times - e.g. Monday Evening (end of Weekend Deals) or Thursday Evening (end of Midweek Deals) - I guess they do a deal to promote the stuff in those sales and putting a massive "LOOK HERES ALL THE REALLY CHEPA STUFF" header above them would dilute that ;)

No Weekend or Midweek deals during sales either ofc (hardly any point really) - that's Thursday at the earliest for a new sale - and really, at this point, more likely next week, really (unless you see a stack of updating games tomorrow - that's a definate next week or later)

trjp
04-07-2012, 01:39 AM
Earlier this evening, Steam appear to have started a promotion which discounts what seems to be just Codemasters stuff - and it has aan end-date of 12th July.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't there earlier tonight (but I might have missed it) - no announcement of any kind behind it but it would be odd to run something like that with a sale at the same time (which could put any start date for the sale WAY back into next week)???

vinraith
04-07-2012, 02:33 AM
Earlier this evening, Steam appear to have started a promotion which discounts what seems to be just Codemasters stuff - and it has aan end-date of 12th July.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't there earlier tonight (but I might have missed it) - no announcement of any kind behind it but it would be odd to run something like that with a sale at the same time (which could put any start date for the sale WAY back into next week)???

Yup, there's your final confirmation of 12th July, as rumored.

Phats
04-07-2012, 02:28 PM
http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/bethesda-package-teases-first-details-2012-summer-steam-sale

The article basically points to another website which has data-mined information of the steam database showing Summer 2012 publisher bundles.

Bethesda as an example http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/apps/15263

Doesn't really tell us much other than its on its way

Heliocentric
04-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Bioshock 2 complete! Finally, I can get the DLC with no gfwl nonsense?

trjp
04-07-2012, 06:12 PM
and in an even weirder move, that Codemasters promotion has disappeared even tho the games are still listed in the Special Offers (but without any discounts).

So read into that whatever you like then - I'm confuseder than when I started but a guess might be that they put in the wrong dates for the Codemasters 'day' perhaps??

elephant god
04-07-2012, 06:30 PM
the "codemasters day" wouldn't just be a 25% discount. And the special offer wasnt advertised in the slightest. To me, it seemed like slip-up, but it might be part of a summer-ARG, some kind of code from valve, them being code masters themselves, gedit?

SirKicksalot
04-07-2012, 10:26 PM
They picked CnC and especially Red Alert as the Midweek Madness to make fun of the Independence Day, didn't they?

Anthile
05-07-2012, 01:54 AM
Bioshock 2 complete! Finally, I can get the DLC with no gfwl nonsense?

Nope.

/10char

RobF
05-07-2012, 03:07 AM
Some more packs added recently:

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/cdr/4993 - Railworks
http://cdr.thebronasium.com/cdr/4989 - THQ
http://cdr.thebronasium.com/cdr/4971 - Strategy First
http://cdr.thebronasium.com/cdr/4967 - Kalypso
http://cdr.thebronasium.com/cdr/4962 - Red Orchestra Pack

Given there's been no run of updates I'd definitely say the 12th.

Wheelz
05-07-2012, 04:12 AM
Some more packs added recently:

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/cdr/4993 - Railworks
http://cdr.thebronasium.com/cdr/4989 - THQ
http://cdr.thebronasium.com/cdr/4971 - Strategy First
http://cdr.thebronasium.com/cdr/4967 - Kalypso
http://cdr.thebronasium.com/cdr/4962 - Red Orchestra Pack

Given there's been no run of updates I'd definitely say the 12th.

that's actually a pretty interesting site. I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly, but isn't this page (http://cdr.thebronasium.com/app/search/p/1/sort:date_updated/direction:desc) showing a run of updates?

Space Indaver
05-07-2012, 04:45 AM
As always, the THQ pack is tempting, but I only want about a third of it, and it'll likely be $99.

RobF
05-07-2012, 04:49 AM
Sorry, I should have been clearer. No run of updates delivered for most of the games yet. The database has been updated a lot the past few days with new things and packages.

Incidentally, one of the packs PCGn list has Galaxy On Fire HD down as coming to the PC. I assume that it's going to be GoF2HD as that's already available on Macs and fairly pretty to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQFRkqMWfmI

I picked it up for iOS aaages ago but I've still not got round to trying it. I suppose I should do that.

RobF
05-07-2012, 04:52 AM
As always, the THQ pack is tempting, but I only want about a third of it, and it'll likely be $99.

Given THQ are still in "running regular sales, we need money, panic!" mode, there's probably not a lot you won't be able to pick up from one store or another separate over the next few months anyway. Although I imagine they'll have fairly deep discounts during the sales anyway.

Space Indaver
05-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Given THQ are still in "running regular sales, we need money, panic!" mode, there's probably not a lot you won't be able to pick up from one store or another separate over the next few months anyway. Although I imagine they'll have fairly deep discounts during the sales anyway.
Yeah, true. If I can get Saints Row 3, Metro, Homefront and the DoW2 DLC separately for pennies, I will. They're games that will go in the "realistically, I won't play more than an hour of these, but it'll be nice to get them cheap and leave them on the shelf" pile.

Leopig
05-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Metro is overrated rubbish thats for sure, but Saints Row really is a fine game.

Space Indaver
05-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Metro is overrated rubbish thats for sure, but Saints Row really is a fine game.
If it's a competent shooter with good atmosphere, I'll try and blast through the single-player once.

jnx
05-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Metro 2033 was a thrilling ride, occasionally almost art, yet often just annoying crap. Definitely worth playing though.

ChaK_
05-07-2012, 08:15 AM
So it's today right? RIGHT?

RobF
05-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Yeah, Metro is worth a play. I eventually found its habit of throwing just a few too many knee high nasties at you to be enjoyable a bit too much to bear but it nails the atmosphere beautifully and when it comes together, it comes together so well.

If it was just guff, I doubt I'd have cared too much but there's a very close to amazing game trying to break out of what's there and if you can ignore its habit of falling into gratuitous corridor shooter and throwing shit bits at you (I couldn't but it seems loads of people aren't me) then it's quite the ride. For me though, it was quite the ride with OH JUST STOP DOING THAT interrupting me every twenty minutes or so. Definitely do pick it up, it's worth experiencing.

Can't comment on Homefront as THQ does CoD without shoehorning CoD bits into other games was never especially high on my agenda but SR3 is a marvel. Near 90 hours racked up on that and still with a couple of DLC missions left to run through. Most of the DoW DLC is cosmetic though so definitely keep that for "only when it's cheaps". Same for most THQ DLC, really.

DzX
05-07-2012, 12:50 PM
So it's today right? RIGHT?

12th July.

A developer already stated as much [then backtracked claiming it was a 'joke', but other indie devs have since admitted they know the sale date] and Pyromania ends on the 11th. Add in the fact the current CoD promotion doesn't end until the 10th it's unlikely the sale is this week.

trjp
05-07-2012, 02:18 PM
If it's a competent shooter with good atmosphere, I'll try and blast through the single-player once.

Metro's problems are mainly confined to it's less-than-well-disguised 'corridor' levels, 'bullet sponge' enemies and the odd nasty trick like putting-in what you think are cutscenes but which sometimes require you to do something or die and have to redo stuff (QTEs without any on-screen prompting, basically).

I found the enemies which neither react to being shot nor die when carrying 2kgs of lead the most annoying - that's what ultimately led me into quitting it.

Cooper
05-07-2012, 02:50 PM
I found Metro's failing in offering you the option of stealthy / long range combat without ever giving you scenarios where that was truly the best option. Monsters always get the jump on you and the human targets are always in cramped areas. It makes that pheumatic long range rifle pretty useless, even if it's one of the more fun weapons to use.

That aside there are some glorious set pieces in the game and it is just stunning on occasion. Treat it as a beautiful corridor shooter with the odd set piece (sneaking underneath a raging battle between nazis and commies was on of my favourites), automatic rifle and decent bullets in hand and it is geniuinely one of the better game experiences of the last few years.

For those who don;t remember: Half Life 2 was a beautiful corridor shooter with amazing set pieces. Metro 2033 is about as close to the reason HL2 is loved as anyone has got for a while.

Hypernetic
05-07-2012, 03:12 PM
I got stuck in Metro at one of the parts where you are fighting Nazis and had very little ammo. I simply could not beat that part with the amount of ammo I had, it was impossible. My saves were of no help, it was pretty much start several hours back or quit playing, I chose to quit playing.

sabrage
05-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Like Cooper said, Metro pissed me off when I realized that the guards never went back to a "neutral" state after being alerted. From a realistic perspective it makes a lot of sense, but it was incredibly frustrating to want to go through the game using only the throwing knives and realizing it was an impossibility because of the number of bullets flying my way.

kataras
05-07-2012, 03:41 PM
As was mentioned above, Metro is one of the most atmospheric and moody games I ve played in the last years. It can be frustrating at times but it's worth to push on and finish it.

I think stealth works in Metro 2033 most of the time, if you take the time to notice some small details:

aim throwing knives or pneumatic guns at the (human) enemies' necks and not their armour or helmet.

A super-charged pneumatic shot to the neck is a one shot kill.

If you also take the time to look around a bit, there are alternative paths that either take you around the enemies or to some elevated place.

The pistol with the silencer or the silenced VSV are very useful.

In the beginning of the level with the Reds, as soon as you fall off the cart, you are left in the middle of a tunnel. If you turn 180 degrees, there are 2-3 enemies behind you. At the end of the tunnel in that direction, there is a very useful NVG set.

However it is true that if you get noticed then they never get back to a neutral state. This does not mean that you cannot still clear the level. Loot the corpses and aim carefully or use your grenades. If all else fails, change ammo type and use the 'real' bullets. Cry later when you cannot buy armour or a different gun.

All this is based on Ranger difficulty.

Velko
05-07-2012, 07:36 PM
So the sale didn't start today then.

postinternetsyndrome
05-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Nope. Switching to next rumour, which seems to be the 12th...

fiddlesticks
05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
If you're doing a stealthy playthrough of Metro: 2033, don't forget to pick up the Stealth Armour in Armory Station. It makes sneaking a lot easier and comes with a free pair of Night Vision Goggles.

trjp
06-07-2012, 03:08 AM
Killing Floor Summer Sideshow is on again - 5th to the 23rd.

I think that gives you the end-date of the Summer Sale right there...

Rauten
06-07-2012, 03:38 AM
Killing Floor Summer Sideshow is on again - 5th to the 23rd.

I think that gives you the end-date of the Summer Sale right there...

Which, if true, reinforces once again the idea of the sale starting the 12th.

Winged Nazgul
06-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Breaking news!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31503393&postcount=12880

/lol

Marar Patrunjica
06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
I can confirm it is possible (and really not that hard) to complete Metro 2033 without killing or alerting any nazis, yes, even the chapters that don't have achievements for a no kill run.

alms
06-07-2012, 03:28 PM
I've posted the daily bundles for the Summer sale on the usual bundle thread. If you're armed with patience there's a (totally expected) crapload of new subscriptions on the registry. Just sort them using the Last Updated field:

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub

Rauten
06-07-2012, 05:24 PM
They also just added a Sword of the Stars Franchise, a Majesty Franchise and a Victoria Franchise sub (one for each) all of them with the moniker "Summer 2012".

SirKicksalot
06-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Why read about these deals and spoil the fun?

jnx
06-07-2012, 05:36 PM

I'm with you on that. I love the waiting and exitement. Also like trying to get some of the achievements required for that lottery thing, not expecting to win anything though.

alms
06-07-2012, 09:46 PM

We don't know the daily deals, so the surprise effect is preserved. Also the first day is usually a veritable mess, with dozens and dozens of deals to sift through and the storefront brought to its knees under load, knowing those in advance has its value too.

The JG Man
06-07-2012, 09:49 PM
One of the good reasons is that with so much competition, if you know roughly what'll be offered compared to what else there is, you can determine where you're going to purchase from.

Wheelz
07-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Off-Topic: It looks like "Too the Moon" has finally made it to steam, so congrats to the developer! I look forward to picking it up.

edit: while I'm still off-topic, it looks like the rumours about Valve moving to support linux more may have been true (http://cdr.thebronasium.com/app/562).

LTK
07-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Off-Topic: It looks like "Too the Moon" has finally made it to steam, so congrats to the developer! I look forward to picking it up.
To The Moon? Where? I don't see it in the new releases. When it shows up I want to write a recommendation. To The Moon is fantastic.

alms
07-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Whoa, it's been a long time coming, I had been waiting for this since Kan Gao announced it ...back in May?

Wheelz
07-07-2012, 02:26 AM
It doesn't appear to be up yet, but they've added it to there database, along with the soundtrack. (linky: http://cdr.thebronasium.com/app/206440)

alms
07-07-2012, 02:27 AM
BTW earlier tonight I spotted Resonance, too.

deano2099
07-07-2012, 01:03 PM
BTW earlier tonight I spotted Resonance, too.

Resonance is getting a Steam release this month. If you buy it from Wadjet directly right now it comes with a Steam key that works already, achievements and all, you just can't buy it on there.

byteCrunch
07-07-2012, 01:13 PM
edit: while I'm still off-topic, it looks like the rumours about Valve moving to support linux more may have been true (http://cdr.thebronasium.com/app/562).

Well Linux dedicated servers are nothing new for Valve's games, but considering L4D2 was the game that was "showed" to be running under Linux it certainly supports the idea, it would be awesome if Valve rolled out the Linux client as part of the Summer Sale, it would certainly help drive sales.

alms
07-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Resonance is getting a Steam release this month. If you buy it from Wadjet directly right now it comes with a Steam key that works already, achievements and all, you just can't buy it on there.

I know, the implication here is a new entry might mean Steam debut is close (the old registry entries have been loaded in the week preceding the launch)

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/14632
http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/14638

Rauten
10-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Could this be considered thread necromancy? Has the thread begun to decompose? Is it past Rigor Mortis?

At any rate, this week's midweek madness is out, 66% on all Dungeon Defenders except for the Quest of Eternia thingamajigs DLC, aaaaaaaaaaaand... it ends Thursday at 10 AM, instead of 4 PM. As if it wasn't obvious enough before, this is pretty much Steam's way of confirming what was already a secret to noone.

Ladies and Gentlemen prepare to throw your wallets at your screens.

zaxor0
10-07-2012, 07:03 PM
my theory/dope/dream is that they are going to release a linux client at the same time as the summer sale, and that's what caused the delay.

Velko
10-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Dammit, I'm internet-less for the entire Thursday and most of Friday. Hope I don't miss any great daily deals.

jnx
10-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Dammit, I'm internet-less for the entire Thursday and most of Friday. Hope I don't miss any great daily deals.

That's what the mobile app is for!

Rauten
10-07-2012, 07:33 PM
That's what the mobile app is for!

It sits in your pocket, within your phone, just by the side of your wallet! It's as close as it gets to giving your wallet to Steam!

elephant god
10-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Good thing i don't need the mobile app.
I just broke my foot and am confined to crutches in the middle of summer. Let that sentence melt on your tongue. Or in the summer heat, your call.

Spent my birthday in the hospital, so i have some money left over that might be spent on some skyrim or other, so the steam summer sale is right on time.

Just have to survive the last three days of the semester and crawl to a few more exams, and on thursday I have an ingenious little contraption planned that throws my wallet at my monitor at the exact moment the steam sale starts. Call it good timing or bad timing, I call it anticipation!

trjp
10-07-2012, 09:05 PM
am confined to crutches in the middle of summer.

No easier or harder to get through floods with then :) In fact, 2 pontoons and you're ahead :)

I see Nation Red updated today - a better sign of 'imminent' sale does not exist...

elephant god
10-07-2012, 09:19 PM
did not get that joke. In Berlin, Germany, there are few floods in the summer, though. Also, walking with crutches is way more exhausting than I expected.

I nearly freaked out when Alien Swarm was updated last weekend, though I still don't really expect anything new.

deano2099
10-07-2012, 09:22 PM
I know, the implication here is a new entry might mean Steam debut is close (the old registry entries have been loaded in the week preceding the launch)

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/14632
http://cdr.thebronasium.com/sub/14638

No need to speculate, it's out on Steam July 25th.

db1331
10-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Good thing i don't need the mobile app.
I just broke my foot and am confined to crutches in the middle of summer. Let that sentence melt on your tongue. Or in the summer heat, your call.

Spent my birthday in the hospital, so i have some money left over that might be spent on some skyrim or other, so the steam summer sale is right on time.

Just have to survive the last three days of the semester and crawl to a few more exams, and on thursday I have an ingenious little contraption planned that throws my wallet at my monitor at the exact moment the steam sale starts. Call it good timing or bad timing, I call it anticipation!

Super jealous. Brb, breaking my foot...

Kodeen
11-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Still no sale. Maybe they aren't doing it this year. Or maybe they're pushing it a month back, to the end of July, for some reason.

Oh well, I already have an unreasonable backlog as it is.

trjp
11-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Still no sale. Maybe they aren't doing it this year. Or maybe they're pushing it a month back, to the end of July, for some reason.

Oh well, I already have an unreasonable backlog as it is.

The serious money has been on tomorrow for a while now - and I'm tending to agree with them.

Killing Floor's Summer doodah runs until the 23rd - we know there are 10 daily bundles so that's starting on the 12th - when the midweek deal is ending a bit earlier that usual too...

Todays' Daily Deal is slightly odd (Defense Grid) but I guess that ties in with their Kickstarter - but we're seeing updates for games like TF2 and the other usual suspects so I'd almost wager money it's 6pm UK tomorrow.

Kodeen
11-07-2012, 06:17 PM
For some reason I thought today was Thursday. Disregard.

alms
11-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Please give me your informed opinions, what discount can I expect for Portal 2 this summer?

bonkers
11-07-2012, 06:47 PM
66%

and if not then it's going to be something between 0 and 99%. For sure.

Rauten
11-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Considering how generous VALVe tends to be with it's own titles, I'd say 75% easy.

The JG Man
11-07-2012, 07:14 PM
I'd also be inclined to say 75%.

So, tomorrow, eh? I was going to make plans, but then I realised I needed to stay in to spend all my money. So, I won't be going to the gay bar gay bar gay bar! I'm hoping all the things I want are on sale tomorrow so I don't need to care about the rest of the days.

Not that I can play any of them yet. Still on my craptop.

squareking
11-07-2012, 07:23 PM
gay bar gay bar gay bar!

YOU 10char

Kodeen
11-07-2012, 07:35 PM
So, I won't be going to the gay bar gay bar gay bar!

I worked at a 4-star restaurant in high school, and for some reason that song was in top rotation in the kitchen. There was a guy who looked like a 30 year old ZZ Top member who played it constantly.

Now it's stuck in my head, damnit.

alms
11-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Great, thanks.

Is there any way to get price statistics from isthereanydeal when a title is NOT currently on sale?

vinraith
11-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Please give me your informed opinions, what discount can I expect for Portal 2 this summer?

Personally, I got it at 88% off during the Xmas sale with a coupon.

Boris
11-07-2012, 10:03 PM
I got it at 50% off last october (I think, it was just after the price drop). So, at least that amount, but if I had to bet, it'd be at 50% for most of the sale, and 75% one day only.

Heliocentric
11-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Watch, it will be $/Eurosign symbol/1 or something.

Edawan
12-07-2012, 12:11 AM
What I'm hoping to get for 10€ max (each, let's not be crazy):
K of Amalur
Saints Row 3
Rage (maybe not even 10 for this one)
Civ 5

Juan Carlo
12-07-2012, 02:04 AM

It's been 75% in the past, so expect 75%.

They might even do an 80% shocker if they decide they really want to use it to promote steam workshop or something. I doubt that, but I think it's safe to say that 75% is the baseline.

postinternetsyndrome
12-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Another small clue: The daily deal seems to end 10 minutes earlier than usual today. Fasten your seatbelts and keep your hands inside your wallet at all times.

elephant god
12-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm so nervous. I hope my wallet doesn't damage my monitor when i throw it.

Rauten
12-07-2012, 03:21 PM
It's time like these I'm glad I work the afternoon/evening shift. I have 3 hours since the beginning (of the end) till I'm home and able to purchase; 3 hours to cool down and think things through.

renhoelder
12-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Can you smell it? It's close! :) With my luck lately though, the thunderstorm coming down on my city will cause a power outage just before or just as I glimpse those, hopefully sweet, deals.

Leopig
12-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't get paid until tomorrow :(

trjp
12-07-2012, 05:19 PM
I'd take cheap Rage, Arkham City (GFWL means it has to be REALLY cheap), Ridge Racer and a few indie titles I've not quite leapt-at yet (even tho they'll inevitably be in a bundle for 9p soon).

It's going to be a hard 10 days tho - waiting to see if your chosen games make a daily deal or whatever it is they're going to do. I really hope they've not gone bundle-crazy tho because - like most people here I suspect - I own enough games now to make most bundles unviable unless they're embarrasingly cheap.

Scott
12-07-2012, 05:20 PM
It's starting! http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13005/

KauhuK
12-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Can't wait. I just hope there is something for me. Won't be buying much. I have enough to play as it is but there is still room for couple of games.

The JG Man
12-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Remember the golden rule of Steam sales guys: Wait until what you want is a daily deal before buying it, otherwise wait until the final day of the sale.

That being said, I am prepared.

renhoelder
12-07-2012, 05:28 PM

omg omg omg :D I used to get this exited before christmas, as a child, now it's Steam Seals, kinda sad, but oh well.

Rauten
12-07-2012, 05:36 PM

I don't want to click on the link, I don't want to click on the link, I don't want to click on the link BUT I WANT TO KNOW AAARRGGHH!!! WHY ISN'T IT 7PM ALREADY?!

Leopig
12-07-2012, 05:39 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15420/?cc=us

2k deal

PeteC
12-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Almost here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUo1PgKksgw&feature=player_embedded#!

Ice-Fyre
12-07-2012, 05:51 PM
You get badges now on your profile page!

Gilead
12-07-2012, 05:52 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15420/?cc=us

2k deal

Odd that Spec Ops: The Line is in there considering it was only just released, and at the same price as that bundle now is. I wouldn't be surprised if it was taken out after a few hours. Something like that happened at the Winter Sale, I think it was, with Arkham City.

Leopig
12-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Not as odd as Amazon selling it for half price the week after it was released, but yeah it is odd it being there.

Here is the Activision deal, not worth it imo

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15465/

Leopig
12-07-2012, 05:55 PM
lol and they just extended the Defence Grid deal.

Hypernetic
12-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Where are you guys finding this shit?

renhoelder
There were a couple of instances where the price got jacked up or some bundle taken down. So if a game is on the Daily Deal for a great price one would be to get it sooner, rather than later. Sometimes as the Daily Deals change they come up with mistakes, and the ones that I saw were always corrected in the wrong direction, that is the price went up.

Leopig
Where are you guys finding this shit?

Facebook

10 char

PeteC
12-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Aaaannnddd they're up!

edit. Is it all in $'s for everyone else?

RobF
12-07-2012, 05:59 PM
The offers tab has been filling up since around ten past five (UK time), so here we go for the CRASH.

DragonOfTime
12-07-2012, 06:01 PM
It has begun!

Hypernetic
12-07-2012, 06:02 PM
LOLOOLOLOL

Ridge Racer deal of the day -0% off!

Leopig
12-07-2012, 06:02 PM
And steam has crashed lol

PeteC
12-07-2012, 06:06 PM
All that anticipation and there's nothing there for me today :(

DragonOfTime
12-07-2012, 06:07 PM
It will not let me buy stuff!
*Angryface*

Leopig
All that anticipation and there's nothing there for me today :(

Same, I voted for the Witcher 2 to be the next sale, so here is hoping.

Kodeen
Vote for the biggest deal. Where have I seen that recently?

TillEulenspiegel
12-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Does Deus Ex: HR Augmented Edition including the Missing Link DLC? Annoyingly, the store page doesn't explain what it is at all.

asskicker
12-07-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm not a big RTS fan, but is Shogun 2 any good? I like the idea of detailed, big battles.

deano2099
A little bit disappointed there's no achievement hunt...

trjp
It will not let me buy stuff!
*Angryface*

New deals every 6-12 hours in the 'Flash Sales' as well as new games to vote into the next lot of deals every 8 hours it seems - we're going to be working 'hard' :)

elephant god
Does Deus Ex: HR Augmented Edition including the Missing Link DLC? Annoyingly, the store page doesn't explain what it is at all.

it does not.

hmmmmm. I don't think I like the implications of these Flash Sales. Sale periods shorter than a day? Valve are experimenting during sales periods, and then evaluating the results, but if this becomes a regular...

Do you think I should get the DX:HR missing link DLC? Do You, DO YOU?!

F. Lynx Pardinus
I'm confused by the flash sales. If something is on a flash sale, does that mean it won't be discounted later in a daily deal?

Hypernetic
12-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Totally buying the SEGA pack, I own none of those games. So many games for $49.99.

Leopig
12-07-2012, 06:11 PM
it does not.

hmmmmm. I don't think I like the implications of these Flash Sales. Sale periods shorter than a day? Valve are experimenting during sales periods, and then evaluating the results, but if this becomes a regular...

Do you think I should get the DX:HR missing link DLC? Do You, DO YOU?!

Yes yes yes.

vinraith
12-07-2012, 06:11 PM
The flash sale stuff is interesting. The lack of a "game" involving accumulating achievements for credits of some stripe is also interesting (and fine with me). Unfortunately, there's not a thing on sale that's of interest (that I don't already have), as is par for these things.

The JG Man
12-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Once again, I sing praises for the variety and quality in the THQ pack (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15343/?snr=1_4_4_)...but my surprise for best pack has to go to Sega (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15548/?snr=1_614_615_summersale2012collections_616_9) because god damn. God damn.

Leopig

No it has a bonus mission in game and a few items (I believe were pre order items)

frenz0rz
Bollocks, theres stuff I want to buy but I leave for work in 3 hours and the sodding website isnt responding due to "heavy load".

Bah!

Giaddon
I'm confused by the flash sales. If something is on a flash sale, does that mean it won't be discounted later in a daily deal?

I assume so. It wouldn't make sense to offer Deus Ex, for example, for 75% off in a flash sale only to have it on sale again longer.

PeteC
12-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Same, I voted for the Witcher 2 to be the next sale, so here is hoping.

That's what I voted for as I have the other two games.

Flint
12-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Hah, the one year where I can actually properly participate in the meta game stuff and there's none of it around. Oh well!

Nothing for me on today's deals but I heartily recommend Grimrock. Deus Ex: HR and Rayman Origins on the flash sale are also brilliant. Now here's hoping that Saints Row 3 wins the community vote as it's the one I'm looking for.

F. Lynx Pardinus
I assume so. It wouldn't make sense to offer Deus Ex, for example, for 75% off in a flash sale only to have it on sale again longer.
So the old technique was to wait for a daily deal--if a daily deal never showed, buy at the end of the summer sale. What's the new technique--don't buy during a daily sale in case there's a flash sale?

Kodeen
Kingdom of Amalur isn't on sale at all. I guess I shouldn't expect to see it as a daily deal either.

Wonder if it'll ever go on sale with its current situation.

Boris
12-07-2012, 06:15 PM
I got it at 50% off last october (I think, it was just after the price drop). So, at least that amount, but if I had to bet, it'd be at 50% for most of the sale, and 75% one day only.

Boom. 75% first day.

Kodeen
12-07-2012, 06:16 PM
So the old technique was to wait for a daily deal--if a daily deal never showed, buy at the end of the summer sale. What's the new technique--don't buy during a daily sale in case there's a flash sale?

I'm guessing games will be either a daily deal or a flash sale, not both.

Giaddon
12-07-2012, 06:16 PM

I think being in a daily sale or a flash sale are mutually exclusive.

Giaddon
12-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Kingdom of Amalur isn't on sale at all. I guess I shouldn't expect to see it as a daily deal either.

It's 50% off on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Reckoning-Download/dp/B0064TYNMW/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=videogames-download&ie=UTF8&qid=1342113432&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=armalur

Protoman
Definitely getting grimrock, and perhaps possibly a couple of gift copies of terraria.
Debating Rayman: Origins. I'm a sucker for good platforming, but $15 is a bit steep as far as these sales go.

jnx
2K collection is a very good deal. Might buy that one, get Spec Ops: The Line and bunch of other good games.

TillEulenspiegel
12-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Oh well. If DX:HR understood me and wanted me to buy it, it would be all in one convenient bundle.

I'm looking forward to any of the three voting possibilities. Quick math for the possible discounts:

Witcher 2 -> $16
Saints Row 3 -> $12.50
Arkham City -> $10

Kodeen
12-07-2012, 06:20 PM
It's 50% off on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Reckoning-Download/dp/B0064TYNMW/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=videogames-download&ie=UTF8&qid=1342113432&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=armalur

Interesting, thanks. I wonder who authorized that, the state of RI?

Oh well.

Sketch
12-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Did anyone see if Fall of the Samurai is on sale too? I can't get on.

vinraith
12-07-2012, 06:21 PM

Watch Gamersgate and Amazon for EA sales. It was 60% off on Gamersgate two weeks ago, and is 50% off on Amazon right now.

Colonel J
12-07-2012, 06:22 PM
50% off, 12.49 in UK.
(Edit) DLC Faction packs 40% off.

vinraith

It's at 50% off as part of the franchise sale, which makes it $15 in the US. Still too pricey if you ask me.

Heliocentric
Once again, I sing praises for the variety and quality in the THQ pack (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15343/?snr=1_4_4_)...but my surprise for best pack has to go to Sega (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15548/?snr=1_614_615_summersale2012collections_616_9) because god damn. God damn.

ToeJam and Earl or GTFO

elephant god
12-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Skyrim isn't discounted either. yet.
However I am convinced it will be.

Sketch
12-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Cheers guys, I would probably jump if it was under a tenner. Might still.

Ravelle
12-07-2012, 06:25 PM
The Starwars pack seems to be missing KOTORII.

Splynter
12-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Oh god I'm just about to leave for a week of vacation and the sales are all batting their pretty little eyelashes at me and twirling their hair. THQ pack you desirable minx!

Kodeen

That's not on Steam at all.

Flint
KOTOR 2's never been on Steam, that's why.

EDIT: Hello I'm late.

DragonOfTime
12-07-2012, 06:27 PM

I believe Steam is missing KOTORII

Edit: I'm twice as late as the guy before me

Rauten
Grimrock. Oh dear god yes, I've been waiting for this day. So getting that as soon as I get home.

Also got my eye on the Indie Bundle I; Only interested in Lone Survivor, but I'm not sure what'd be better, to buy it on it's own, or grab the pack (I suppose that if a game is part of these bundles, it won't be discounted on it's own).

byteCrunch
I love the CKII Bundle mess, they marked the Bundle up by 65%, 13.51 for the individual items, or 22.79 for the bundle, good one Steam. The bundle doesn't even include all the DLC, it is only 16.28 to buy the game and all the DLC individually, but 22.79 for the bundle which has only half the DLC and doesn't even have the expansion.

Colonel J
12-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Skyrim isn't discounted either. yet.
However I am convinced it will be.
Showing as 33% off for me. I reckon it will go to 50% later but probably not more than that until Christmas sale.

Mana_Garmr
I think my main activity during this sale will be watching GamersGate and GoG the next day to see if they match any of the prices on things I'm interested in before I buy anything.

Tikey
There isn't a digital distribution version of Kotor2. I guess with all the bugs it would be a problem to support.
I hope some day it ends up on GOG.

EDIT: I'm the latest in a long list of late people. :(

Colonel J
12-07-2012, 06:30 PM
I think my main activity during this sale will be watching GamersGate and GoG the next day to see if they match any of the prices on things I'm interested in before I buy anything.
Yes, this.
Particularly as my 15% IGN discount on GG is still working.

Splynter
That Railworks 3 bundle does not seem like much of a deal...

Anthile
KotoR2 has never been available on any digital distribution platform.

Yes, this.
Particularly as my 15% IGN discount on GG is still working.

It appears they have changed it to 15% discount in blue coins instead of a direct discount.

grasskit
who else is aroused by the cheapening of intellectual property?

vinraith
12-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Much like Gamersgate's 1C pack before it, I think I'd avoid that Sega Pack just because I don't want all that dross I'll never play cluttering up my games list.

Splynter
12-07-2012, 06:31 PM

I imagine that's the sort of thing David DeMartini yells out during really kinky sex.

The JG Man
12-07-2012, 06:32 PM

According to one of those people who sort through all the Steam registries, there's a pack going up later on in the year with KOTOR 1 and 2. So, keep your eyes peeled!

Ravelle
12-07-2012, 06:33 PM
KOTOR 2's never been on Steam, that's why.

EDIT: Hello I'm late.

Oh my bad then, didn't know that.

Track
12-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I might take the plunge and grab the entire Deus Ex series. It'll cost me, what, $13 for the whole thing? And I just noticed that Space Chem is on flash sale...fuck this sale is gonna screw me up. And I haven't even looked at most of the bundles yet.

djbriandamage
12-07-2012, 06:34 PM

IP Freely?

gundato
12-07-2012, 06:36 PM
The "new game in a bundle" happened with Space Marine too. Could grab all the Relic 40k games (and DLC) for the price of Space Marine.

Chaz
12-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Well the Steam sales only been up for about 5 minutes and I've already spent 25.

Deus Ex: HR only 5
Risen now 7.49
GTA4 complete pack 12.50

Just voting for them to put Batman Arkham City on sale next.

Lots of traffic on Steam right now though, the store kept falling over.

Ice-Fyre
12-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Anyone else having problems sorting pages by price?

Really wish steam would fix the bugs on their site :-( The other one that always pisses me off, is when you click a game then go back a page, it loses the page you was on!

gundato
12-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Well the Steam sales only been up for about 5 minutes and I've already spent 25.

Risen now 7.49
GTA4 complete pack 12.50

I strongly suggest only buying daily deals and flash deals until the last day of the sale. On very rare occasions (I think it happened with TWEE) a game is taken off normal sales halfway through, but usually the better "normal" deals get daily deals and cost even less. You'll save cash, and HR should easily last you the first few days of the sale :p

Tritagonist
12-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Was playing Dungeon Defenders when the sale started, and after I quit I saw on the pop-up window that the Heroes of Might & Magic franchisewas on sale for 50%-75% off. I'll assume the 50% is for the HoMM6 - but that's nice regardless. Can't access the store yet, but that was to be expected.

Tikey
12-07-2012, 06:45 PM
According to one of those people who sort through all the Steam registries, there's a pack going up later on in the year with KOTOR 1 and 2. So, keep your eyes peeled!

If that's true, I'm gonna need a new monitor after my wallet hits it.

Ice-Fyre
12-07-2012, 06:46 PM

Risen now 7.49
GTA4 complete pack 12.50

If you waited, the GTA complete pack tends to always come up for 4.99, same as magicka

djbriandamage
12-07-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm thinking of getting CoD:MW3 for $30 (what can I say, I love Infinity Ward's roller coasters.. when they're on sale) and Stalker: Call of Pripyat for $3.75.

Protoman
12-07-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm proud of myself- only spent $6 on grimrock, that's all.
Although that rayman flash sale is VERY tempting, but I know it will be on my backlog until the christmas sale, where it will be $5.

magnus1969
12-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Haven't spent anything yet, I've got bills to pay. :((

Tritagonist
12-07-2012, 06:50 PM
I strongly suggest only buying daily deals and flash deals until the last day of the sale.
Yup, that's generally the best way to go.

Ice-Fyre
12-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Haven't spent anything yet, I've got bills to pay. :((

I'm the same! Plus paying for driving lessons :-( Always the xmas sale lol

F. Lynx Pardinus
12-07-2012, 06:52 PM
what can I say, I love Infinity Ward's roller coasters.. when they're on sale
I'm totally with you--sometimes I want to watch a clever film or documentary (yay for PBS in the US) and sometimes I want to kick back, grab a beer, and watch an amusing action movie. Same for games.

Edit: I should note that the last two films I watched were "George Harrison: Living in the Material World" and "Underworld: Awakening." So there you go.

Revisor
12-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Might buy that one, get Spec Ops: The Line and bunch of other good games.

Spec Ops is on Amazon for $25

Jockie
12-07-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm totally with you--sometimes I want to watch a clever film or documentary (yay for PBS in the US) and sometimes I want to kick back, grab a beer, and watch an amusing action movie. Same for games.

Edit: I should note that the last two films I watched were "George Harrison: Living in the Material World" and "Underworld: Awakening." So there you go.

I'm uhmming and ahhiing over that deal. I hate a lot of things about that series, but... but.. I actually just alt-tabbed and bought it in the middle of writing this post.

renhoelder
12-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Rayman and Risen are on my list, but the flash sale price for Rayman isn't much to write home about. I think it has been on sale for the same price and probably will be again, for even less.

All the deals I'm seeing at the moment aren't wow'ing me as they used to. It's basically the daily deals and Midweek Madness'es thrown together. Amazon has spoiled me, at least when it comes to games that activate on Steam :)

Boris
12-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Haven't spent anything yet. But that's only because I already have SpaceChem (bloody awesome game) and the Portals, gotten over my Terraria wants (it looked really appealing last summer sale, but the price was a bit high) and recently bought the Deus Ex pack.

So my wallet is safe. For now.

Hypernetic
12-07-2012, 06:59 PM
The best deals are never on Day 1.

gundato
12-07-2012, 07:00 PM
This happens every Steam Sale (except the first). People will feel a given day's deals are weak mostly because they already grabbed them during a good deal a while back.

The real benefit of the Steam Sale is getting a LOT of sales at a given time.

Personally, I am just really hoping there is a sale on Telltale's The Walking Dead series. Love the comics, haven't gotten around to watching the TV show yet, and have heard great stuff about the game.

Flint
12-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Personally, I am just really hoping there is a sale on Telltale's The Walking Dead series. Love the comics, haven't gotten around to watching the TV show yet, and have heard great stuff about the game.
It's technically -25% at the moment but unsure if you meant a daily sale.

BTAxis
12-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm still holding out for a portal 2 giveaway stunt from valve, rather than a sale. They did it with the first game, and after playing it, I thought it was about the right price.

F. Lynx Pardinus
12-07-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm still holding out for a portal 2 giveaway stunt from valve, rather than a sale. They did it with the first game, and after playing it, I thought it was about the right price.
Is this what EA means when they complain about the cheapening of intellectual property?

Boris
12-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Is this what EA means when they complain about the cheapening of intellectual property?

EA is full of shit. It is possible for people not to like Portal.

Nalano
12-07-2012, 07:12 PM
EA is full of shit. It is possible for people not to like Portal.

Just not probable.

jnx
12-07-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm a bit afraid I can't be buying much stuff because I already own like half of the Steam catalog.

TillEulenspiegel
12-07-2012, 07:16 PM
I liked Portal. I tried five minutes of Portal 2 and I'm skipping it even at $5 because of the awful comedy sidekick.

F. Lynx Pardinus
12-07-2012, 07:18 PM
I tried five minutes of Portal 2 and I'm skipping it even at $5 because of the awful comedy sidekick.
It is possible to not like Stephen Merchant. Just not probable. ;-)

Revisor
Here's one who didn't like Portal 2 much. The production values were high but the pacing and exposition were strange. I felt like returning to the 80s game design - go from elevator to elevator and between that listen to a talking head and solve a purposeless puzzle.
"No agency", as they say today.

Also I don't like puzzle games.

But let's not derail it here and rejoice over the lackluster Steam deals (I'm spoiled, I know!).

Sketch
You should just carry on, it's not as if you spend the whole game with him. Plus, he's awesome.

Flint
12-07-2012, 07:23 PM
I personally prefer Portal 2 over Portal. It feels more like a fleshed out game, and one I'm more keen on playing through more than once. Portal 1 was enjoyable, and the writing was great, but a bit lightweight - a puzzle game you play once but which doesn't really give you anything beyond those puzzles. Portal 2 just felt an all-around more fleshed out game, even if it lost slightly in terms of freedom in puzzle completion.

I'll always end up using this analogy: Portal was a snack, Portal 2 was a full dinner.

Nalano
12-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Portal 1 was enjoyable, and the writing was great, but a bit lightweight - a puzzle game you play once but which doesn't really give you anything beyond those puzzles.

Portal is a puzzle game.
Portal 2 is a puzzle game with lots of exposition.

In other words, what?

Giaddon
12-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Don't you remember all that lovely time spent pressing w and sometimes space?

Man, Portal 2 sucked.

Leopig
12-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Only games I want on sale are, Spec Ops (played the demo, was decent but wouldnt pay full price for it), Max Payne 3, Witcher 2 (maybe). I have pretty much everything else I want until TL2 gets released.

johnki
12-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Man, Steam's Summer Sale is here and I can't even make a list of stuff I want because I can't get on the Store due to the overloaded servers. It's getting better, but about 10 pages in, I start losing out to the millions of other people.

EDIT: However, I am looking at Total War Shogun 2, Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity, GalCiv2, and Grimrock.

Flint
12-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Portal is a puzzle game.
Portal 2 is a puzzle game with lots of exposition.

In other words, what?
I play games not just for the gameplay but also for the experience. Portal was a straightforward puzzle game, and that's fine, but I personally find puzzle games to be rather dull to replay because the main gist - figuring out all the puzzles - is gone. Portal 2 fleshes out the world, adds more to the characters, generally gives a better overall experience which I've enjoyed playing through again even if I already know how each puzzle works - it's got other sides for me to re-experience.