PDA

View Full Version : The Steam 2012 Summer Sale anticipation thread - Because it is Inevitable

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11

alms
19-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've only picked up one PnC in this sale (which I already played anyway), so I should be getting TLJ. It's in my wishlist, too. But we're still 3 days away from the end :S Maybe I'll sit out of the community deal, and hope it will be back as a daily or flash before the sale's over (and that I haven't picked up anything else in the meanwhile)

hariseldon
19-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Don't sit out TLJ, you'd be depriving yourself of that rarest of things, a proper grown up's computer game. Wonderful acting and characters you actually give a toss about, decent story, it's everything good about adventure games.

On a separate note, having a blast with Sniper Elite 2, for some reason i'm getting the same vibe off it as I got from Hidden & Dangerous. Tiny & Big starts well then I got stuck but that's probably just me being thick. Love the ideas though and the art style is lovely (a bit psychonauts at times).

The JG Man
19-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the massive feedback regarding LA Noire guys. A lot of my friends who played it are not the kind of people to go on forums and discuss game mechanics, so to know that possibly the most interesting draw is flawed is, well, a little disappointing. It'll be on sale again!

As for today's sales:
Amnesia: Fantastic atmosphere, generally enjoyable gameplay that I feel maybe goes on a little too long. Best played in the dark silence of night. At the risk of being a kill-joy though, I thought it went on a little bit too long and that the moments it realised it was a game was at its worst. That is not, at all, to say that this is bad, but I felt that for a game structured around atmosphere, a good one at that, whenever it was broken, so to was the experience. Worth a play.
Alan Wake: Hmmm. There's numerous opinions on there, and I think mine is buried somewhere in this thread too, but I generally feel it's an okay game. Like Amensia, I feel its worst parts are when it realises it's a game and restricted by the constraints of the developers' nefarious plans! The combat is highly repetitive (Tip: One of the achievements is to complete one of the levels without actually killing any enemies. Try doing this throughout the game, except where necessary obviously.

TheDreamlord
19-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Here is what I am still waiting for a 75% sale on:

Scarygirl
Adventures Of Shuggy
Rayman Origins
Shank 2
Dustforce
Jagged Alliance BIA
Driver: San Francisco

Am I being too optimistic? :-)

Scumbag
19-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Rayman Oranges was on flash sale day 1 for 50% off so I doubt it'll go lower.

johnki
19-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the massive feedback regarding LA Noire guys. A lot of my friends who played it are not the kind of people to go on forums and discuss game mechanics, so to know that possibly the most interesting draw is flawed is, well, a little disappointing. It'll be on sale again!What? No! Don't pass up LA Noire. I paid $60 for it and didn't regret it. At $5, it's a steal.

It's one of the most unique games out there in that it does actually attempt to put you in the shoes of a detective. Flawed? A bit. Interrogation gets tough if you're not good at reading people. Passable? Hell no! The story alone should be enough to get you through the game. It's gripping right up until the end...then the end is like a blow to the head, but that's not the point!

EDIT: One of the most interesting points was that it integrated some real cases into the game.

Fumarole
19-07-2012, 09:38 PM
JABiA is currently 50% off and I don't really see it dropping more but it's probably worthwhile to wait a few days to see if you can save some scratch. I'd recommend it at the current price if you're interested in the genre. The recent patches have improved it quite a bit since release. Also, the DLC missions are quite tough.

Smashbox
19-07-2012, 09:39 PM
So new patch means:

Fog of war and better line of sight indication?

Those were the biggest complaints initially, right?

Fumarole
19-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Yes, plus it makes managing militia and inventory a metric fuckton easier by basically removing all of the tedium.

fiddlesticks
19-07-2012, 10:12 PM
I finished the vanilla FONV on teh 360 at launch but never played any of the DCL. Only problem is I only have 6.50 left. The game is 3.74 which allows me 2 DLC's to go with it, so which are the best 2. Or failing that is Krater better now it has been patched.
Depends on what you want. Old World Blues probably is the best one overall in terms of content, but is annoying for sneaky characters and some feel its attempts at humour are too forced. Dead Money has the best writing, but the gameplay can be somewhat of a chore. Lonesome Road has a strong focus on gameplay rather than story and is quite linear. Honest Hearts on the other hand features a lot of exploration, though again it's light on the story. Gun Runner's Arsenal just gives you a few additional weapons and Courier's Stash is a waste of money unless you want to use J. E. Sawyer's mod.

Personally, I'd go for Dead Money and Honest Hearts, simply because they're so different from each other and they're both really unique in terms of setting. Though honestly, if at all possible you should buy all four of them, they're easily worth the money.

alms
19-07-2012, 10:12 PM
The story alone should be enough to get you through the game. It's gripping right up until the end...then the end is like a blow to the head, but that's not the point!

It's not written well (the ending I mean), the whole game has issues with consistency in writing quality IMO.

I liked it when it led me to to pick the wrong suspect because a) that's the kind of stuff that can happen IRL too b) it's a noire! not Agatha Christie where through an inhuman display of logical prowess they mathematically pinpoint the crime on the perp (and it was the butler anyway).

Oh well, it would have certainly got rid of all the driving :P

PS: y u not of ur staem profile in ur sig?!

alms
19-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Don't sit out TLJ

Hey, I just wanted you to know if I go 40 hours without food this weekend and die ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!

Smashbox
19-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Hey, I just wanted you to know if I go 40 hours without food this weekend and die ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!

Best comment of the day.

gundato
19-07-2012, 10:20 PM
JABiA is currently 50% off and I don't really see it dropping more but it's probably worthwhile to wait a few days to see if you can save some scratch. I'd recommend it at the current price if you're interested in the genre. The recent patches have improved it quite a bit since release. Also, the DLC missions are quite tough.

Considering it was up for a flash sale at 66% (if I recall correctly): Yes, it is gonna go lower

hariseldon
19-07-2012, 10:28 PM

It's worth it.

johnki
It's not written well (the ending I mean), the whole game has issues with consistency in writing quality IMO.
Well, for me it wasn't the ending itself that was all that bad, it was how abrupt it was. Like running into an invisible brick wall right when things are finally starting to solve themselves.

I liked it when it led me to to pick the wrong suspect because a) that's the kind of stuff that can happen IRL too b) it's a noire! not Agatha Christie where through an inhuman display of logical prowess they mathematically pinpoint the crime on the perp (and it was the butler anyway).The case where you had to choose between going with the chief's orders and choosing the pedo or going with your instinct and choosing the guy you still weren't entirely sure was the right guy? Yeah, I liked that one, but there was a horrible amount of tension leading up to the decision.

Oh well, it would have certainly got rid of all the driving :PNothing could be as bad as Deadly Premonition's driving segments. Though I'm pretty sure that was intentional mockery.

PS: y u not of ur staem profile in ur sig?!I'm...sorry?

Rauten

And it'll be worth it.

hariseldon
19-07-2012, 10:34 PM
And it'll be worth it.

Snap .

Similar
19-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Has World in Conflict been in any daily or flash sale yet? It's 33% off, but that's still 10.04 Euro which is a tad too much (both in terms of what I can afford and considering how old it is).

TheDreamlord
19-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Has World in Conflict been in any daily or flash sale yet? It's 33% off, but that's still 10.04 Euro which is a tad too much (both in terms of what I can afford and considering how old it is).

No, I don't think it has.

TheDreamlord
19-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Since we are coming to the last few days of the sale, can someone recommend any games that have not really been prominent in the sale but would definitely recommend? I understand this is quite vague, but humor me perhaps?! :)

mnemnoch
19-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Possibly wiser then getting that thingy on Steam. I remember some people went off to develop a sister title with an equally silly name, just cant remember what off the top of my head.

your looking for http://www.xonotic.org/

Since we are coming to the last few days of the sale, can someone recommend any games that have not really been prominent in the sale but would definitely recommend? I understand this is quite vague, but humor me perhaps?! :)

I want to say Krater, its an Arpg but you control 3 chars at once. You can watch this and make your own choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz-tG6h79Sc&feature=youtu.be

Hypernetic
19-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Why don't you tell us what you have already purchased?

neema_t
19-07-2012, 11:43 PM
On that, is LA Noire a faithful representation of LA? I have the game but never been to America so wouldn't be able to tell.

I watched the 1953 War of the Worlds film the other week and I swear to you, there's a shot of the street the police station you hang out at (and in the game) (am I doing it right?) is on and I was like 'I KNOW THAT PLACE!' because of L.A. Noire. It was exactly the same, but that was only one tiny part. Wow, I've just realised how far back the post I'm quoting is.

Does anyone have any opinions (ha, silly question) on today's Indie Bundle? I pretty much want Wings of Prey but is there 4.50 of value in the rest of it?

internetonsetadd
19-07-2012, 11:47 PM

Arx Fatalis, $2.

TheDreamlord
20-07-2012, 12:05 AM
I have Krater.

My current haul this sale is:

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
Shoot Many Robots
Stacking
Mirror's Edge
Vessel
Darkness II
Dead Island
Batman Arkham City
Ys Origin
Alan Wake
Alan Wake American Nightmare
Max Payne 3
Saints Row: The Third
Blades of Time - Limited Edition

in reverse chronological order!

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 12:07 AM
You gonna be busy, son.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Hmm, 7 pm update (U.S. Eastern) seems to be a bit borked. EYE is still up, and showing 3 days + for the discount.

Edit: They appear to have fixed it. BG&E is great, but better acquired from GOG.

Gorzan
20-07-2012, 12:13 AM
You gonna be busy, son.
Indeed, and here I thougt my haul was big.

Does anyone have any opinions (ha, silly question) on today's Indie Bundle? I pretty much want Wings of Prey but is there 4.50 of value in the rest of it?
Swords and Soldiers is a good bit of very lightweight fun.

mnemnoch
20-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Is blades of time any good? Im waiting until the last day to really think if I want to buy it or not. Same with Jade Empire

TheDreamlord
20-07-2012, 12:14 AM
You gonna be busy, son.

Tell me about it!! In all fairness, I don't plan to buy anything else till the xmas sale....

neema_t
20-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Just noticed a (completely predictable) spoiler in the description of one of the DLCs for Dead Island. Good thing it's not at all reliant on the story I suppose.

Swords and Soldiers is a good bit of very lightweight fun.

Thanks, but that's not really selling the bundle to me, especially since I could buy Wings of Prey and S&S separately for less than the whole thing. Maybe I'll just do that unless Hoard is secretly spectacular...? I've not heard anyone talk about it though.

Creeping Death
20-07-2012, 12:17 AM
I have Krater.

How is it? Worth a purchase?

I tried it for 15-20 mins at Rezzed and wasn't that impressed. Though to be fair to the game, it wasn't the best environment for that kind of game. I did pick it up mid dungeon and with someone else's group of characters...

TheDreamlord
20-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Is blades of time any good? Im waiting until the last day to really think if I want to buy it or not. Same with Jade Empire

I like it. I am about 45% through. It's not great, but the combat is fun, if a bit repetitive. I think it's worth the fiver, if you like, for example, Devil May Cry style. Story is terrible, but I don't care about that in such a game, only about combat.

TheDreamlord
20-07-2012, 12:19 AM
How is it? Worth a purchase?

I tried it for 15-20 mins at Rezzed and wasn't that impressed. Though to be fair to the game, it wasn't the best environment for that kind of game. I did pick it up mid dungeon and with someone else's group of characters...

It's ok. Nothing more, nothing less. I spent about 6 hours with it and I got it for 9.99 on release day. Haven't played it much since. Should be a bit better now after all the patching.

CrinnyCow
20-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Already bought Saints Row: The Third and I'm loving it. But I'm kind of curious to try Saints Row 2. Does it offer anything different from The Third? How will its poorly optimized engine run on my rig? Am I better off with the Xbox version?

Athlon x4 3.0 GHz
Geforce 570
8 gigs RAM

ComradePenguin
20-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Edit: They appear to have fixed it. BG&E is great, but better acquired from GOG.

What are the differences between the two? And do the HDified console versions offer anything of import that you might otherwise miss? Been on my should play list for rather a while now.

TheDreamlord
20-07-2012, 12:23 AM
Is Beyond Good and Evil playable on Windows 7???

mnemnoch
20-07-2012, 12:23 AM
I like it. I am about 45% through. It's not great, but the combat is fun, if a bit repetitive. I think it's worth the fiver, if you like, for example, Devil May Cry style. Story is terrible, but I don't care about that in such a game, only about combat.

Hmm, gonna decide on the 22nd then. I'm a bit over my perceive budget for this sale and like you, I don't think I will buy another game until winter sale. Well unless my old guildmates entice me in GW2.

Creeping Death
20-07-2012, 12:24 AM
It's ok. Nothing more, nothing less. I spent about 6 hours with it and I got it for 9.99 on release day. Haven't played it much since. Should be a bit better now after all the patching.

Hmm... I might give it a miss then. "Ok" was what I got too, but just thought I'd checked in case there was more to it than I saw.

Edit: And yes, BG&E worked fine for me on Windows 7.

@CrinnyCow - In my opinion Saints Row 2 is pointless if you have the Third. It's just better in every way. I played 2 first and really didn't get that much enjoyment from it.

CrinnyCow
20-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Hmm... I might give it a miss then. "Ok" was what I got too, but just thought I'd checked in case there was more to it than I saw.

@CrinnyCow - In my opinion Saints Row 2 is pointless if you have the Third. It's just better in every way. I played 2 first and really didn't get that much enjoyment from it.

I played Saints Row 2 a short while on Xbox and I kind of got the same vibe but I thought I'd ask. Maybe it picked up later on. I'm just worried I'm gonna blow through the activities in The Third too quickly and get bored. there don't seem to be too many of them (I'm 14 percent through the game with only 5 hours)

Leopig
20-07-2012, 12:28 AM

Chronicles of Riddick. It has been on sale once and is a very good game.

Creeping Death
20-07-2012, 12:31 AM
I played Saints Row 2 a short while on Xbox and I kind of got the same vibe but I thought I'd ask. Maybe it picked up later on. I'm just worried I'm gonna blow through the activities in The Third too quickly and get bored. there don't seem to be too many of them (I'm 14 percent through the game with only 5 hours)

My total time for The Third is just under 40 hours, although that includes the dlc. Without I would estimate it took me somewhere between 25 and 30 hours to 100% it. So you've a few hours of gameplay left.

TheDreamlord
20-07-2012, 12:32 AM

Thank you, I bought it. :-)

elephant god
20-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Chronicles of Riddick. It has been on sale once and is a very good game.

That is also better bought at Good old games, where they just released it for the first time without any DLC. Alas, also without Multiplayer, for which it isn't really the right game though.

Leopig
20-07-2012, 12:43 AM
The multi player was fun, but from what I understand is dead anyway.

trjp
20-07-2012, 01:47 AM

Someone WAY back posted their 10p, having bought it on Day 1 - I picked-it-up but I've not gotten far yet (like not as far as installing it!!)

I've played the demo (!!!!) to death and back tho and I like it a lot - BUT - it's ram-packed with flaws and weirdnesses. Good News is the PC port seems decent tho - proper keyboard OR controller prompting, customisable controls, some graphical options etc etc. etc.

One of the big complaints is the awful ranged weapon stuff and that's MUCH MUCH better with a mouse/kb than it was on the controller/360 IMO - it's still nasty, bullets sometimes do little damage and sometimes 1-shot-kill. Melee is MUCH more fun, run around the enemy, unleash your 'massive whoopass' attack - rewind time and do it again - rewind time and do it again - lo there are three of you unleashing hell! :)

It's still clanky but if you like exploration-based hack-and-slashes - it's hard to go wrong for the money IMO

trjp
20-07-2012, 01:49 AM
BG&E's problems were never the game itself - the problems were that the DRM which came with it on some platforms didn't work on Vista or W7 properly.

That's why GOG's version has the reputation of being the best (no DRM) - if Steam's version no longer has drm tho, it should be just as good.

Oshada
20-07-2012, 01:56 AM
This maybe a bit out of place here, but does anyone want two copies of Torchlight + some moniez for an Orcs Must Die 2 preorder?

Gorzan
20-07-2012, 02:04 AM
How good is Galactic Civilizations and what does it compare to?
Doesn't matter, I've bought it already, lets hope I like it!

vinraith
20-07-2012, 02:34 AM
GC2 Ultimate is an outstanding 4X game, closest comparison would be Ascendancy or Master of Orion. Replacing my long lost Impulse copy of the only Stardock game I've ever loved is easily worth $5. Now I've bought all of two things in this sale.

trjp
20-07-2012, 02:35 AM

GalCiv is classic Civ in space - the graphics (esp the talking heads stuff) is very very dated but the game is still very highly rated as Civ-type games go.

I bought it when it came out (on a disc in a metal box no less) - it wasn't my cuppa and so I resold it not long after BUT it remains in my Impulse/GameSTOP game list anyway - should I ever fancy a go :)

trjp
20-07-2012, 02:36 AM
GC2 Ultimate is an outstanding 4X game, closest comparison would be Ascendancy or Master of Orion. Replacing my long lost Impulse copy of the only Stardock game I've ever loved is easily worth $5. Now I've bought all of two things in this sale.

How do you lose a copy on Impulse - hell I have a copy on there I resold (retail)!! :)

alms
20-07-2012, 02:36 AM
Nothing could be as bad as Deadly Premonition's driving segments. Though I'm pretty sure that was intentional mockery.

There's a thing you should know about me. I haven't owned a console since the early 80s. With that out of the way, I did 99% of the driving, that's why I have over 30 hours on the Steam timer, but having not played any driving game since San Andreas it was fun for me.

I'm...sorry?

I beg you pardon sir, I was wondering if there is a particular reason for you not to have a link to your Steam(tm) Community profile in your forum signature, if that's not improper for me to ask, of course.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 02:41 AM
How do you lose a copy on Impulse - hell I have a copy on there I resold (retail)!! :)

By refusing to ever install Impulse again, now that it's owned by Gamestop. I only had 4 games on the service, and 3 of them were shit, so $5 to replace the only one I cared about and never need to deal with Impulse again is pretty good in my book.

johnki
20-07-2012, 02:46 AM
I beg you pardon sir, I was wondering if there is a particular reason for you not to have a link to your Steam(tm) Community profile in your forum signature, if that's not improper for me to ask, of course.I figured as much. I dunno, guess there's no reason not to. :P

EDIT: Fixed.

trjp
20-07-2012, 02:54 AM
By refusing to ever install Impulse again, now that it's owned by Gamestop. I only had 4 games on the service, and 3 of them were shit, so $5 to replace the only one I cared about and never need to deal with Impulse again is pretty good in my book.

I have Braid (since gotten on Steam via Bundles), Demigod (never played it) , Sins (never played it) and Gal Civ (technically don't own it any more) and I still have Gamestop installed anyway :)

field_studies
20-07-2012, 02:56 AM

The good folks at Three Moves Ahead reference this came constantly. It seems to be a/the type example of excellence in space 4x gaming.

To me it looks like a lovely game to tuck into for a few weeks in the summer... the kind of gaming I'd have done ten years ago, when new games were few and far between. No getting around the fact the Steam collections have changed the way I approach (or don't) certain game genres.

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 03:09 AM
Woo woo GalCiv 2! I love it, even though I'm complete ass at it. The AI is downright clever. Me not.

The shipbuilding is very compelling.

gundato
20-07-2012, 03:40 AM
Yeah, everyone should get GalCiv 2. That is basically the best 4x game ever made.

As an example of how good the AI is: I read an after-action report from a few years back (think it was a PC Gamer writer). Basically, he managed to get down to only a few enemies left, and they were all allies. It was looking bad because all the enemies were allied against him. And every time he managed to get a peace of any form, one AI in particular would attack him to restart the war.

Eventually, he realized he could do a research-based victory. So he pretty much switched everything from war to defense and research. And just about everything was wiped out (I think he might have been down to one planet left? Been a while). And all he could really do per turn was build a single crappy ship and research. And every time he built the ship, that one AI who kept restarting the war would destroy the ship (leaving his planet defenseless) and then move away.

He did manage to win by tech, and then he started looking at the game log.

The AI who was a warmonger? They kept restarting the war so that their ally couldn't win a military alliance victory. If the player had gotten wiped out or there had been peace for too long, the peaceful AI would win. So it was in the warmonger's best interest to keep the war going, even if it meant they would lose. Because it was just that spiteful.

Yes, THAT is why GalCiv 2 is great

Also, if you had GalCiv 2 on Impulse: You don't have to rebuy it. Go to stardock's website and log-in to your account. GalCiv 2 is downloadable from there.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 03:44 AM
Also, if you had GalCiv 2 on Impulse: You don't have to rebuy it. Go to stardock's website and log-in to your account. GalCiv 2 is downloadable from there.

Oh balls, too late. Is that version DRM free or what?

Sketch
20-07-2012, 03:45 AM

Play Saints Row 2. It's not as funny, but the missions are far more consistent, there's more to do, better customization etc etc. It's shooting and stuff isn't as good but it's still well worth playing.

gundato
20-07-2012, 03:46 AM
Oh balls, too late. Is that version DRM free or what?

I use Stardock's downloader (I have a few games with them), but you can download the game's installer separately, and I believe it is as DRM-free as a GoG game (single download, only have to redownload for patches, which don't exist in this case).

vinraith
20-07-2012, 03:47 AM
I use Stardock's downloader (I have a few games with them), but you can download the game's installer separately, and I believe it is as DRM-free as a GoG game (single download, only have to redownload for patches, which don't exist in this case).

Well, there are worse games to have paid again for, give how great GC2 is. That's great that there's basically a DRM free version now, though, I'll go grab a copy for archival purposes. Thanks!

Edit: Ah, actually since I only had the individual pieces (base game and the expansions separately) I couldn't have downloaded them this way anyway (there's no option for that, it just says to use Gamestop). So, in essence, I paid $5 for a DRM-free version of Ultimate, and got a Steam copy in the bargain. That's a damn fine deal by me!

gundato
20-07-2012, 03:56 AM
Well, there are worse games to have paid again for, give how great GC2 is. That's great that there's basically a DRM free version now, though, I'll go grab a copy for archival purposes. Thanks!

Edit: Ah, actually since I only had the individual pieces (base game and the expansions separately) I couldn't have downloaded them this way anyway (there's no option for that, it just says to use Gamestop). So, in essence, I paid $5 for a DRM-free version of Ultimate, and got a Steam copy in the bargain. That's a damn fine deal by me!

Yeah, I actually bought the Steam version before I realized (at launch prices...), but I feel it was worth it too.

But you can probably send support an email and get them to convert yours. I basically did that for Sins. Well, I posted in the forums asking, then got an email from frogboy (Wardell) saying that he could convert my separate stuff to Trinity.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 03:58 AM
Yeah, I actually bought the Steam version before I realized (at launch prices...), but I feel it was worth it too.

But you can probably send support an email and get them to convert yours. I basically did that for Sins. Well, I posted in the forums asking, then got an email from frogboy (Wardell) saying that he could convert my separate stuff to Trinity.

Well, it doesn't matter anymore since I already got Ultimate off Steam and registered it to my Stardock account, so I can just grab that download from Stardock and be done with it. Regardless, it's nice to have a non-client backup of that one, it's an old favorite. Thanks again for letting me know!

xVeganx
20-07-2012, 04:00 AM
This maybe a bit out of place here, but does anyone want two copies of Torchlight + some moniez for an Orcs Must Die 2 preorder?

Actually, I would take one copy of Torchlight. But... is this some kind of gifting offer or do I have to pay :o?

OnTopic:
I bought the Binding-DLC and the Soundtrack and
FNV - UE, finally, looking foward to play it.

Played some demos this evening and drew the conclusions: No GTB or Recettear for me, i'm just too bad at those games, but GTB is really good, perhaps during the christmas sale. Trying Chantelise soon. But i will buy SOASE:Trinity for sure, thats really great for just a few bucks. There are also lots of indies deeply discounted all the time so i will probably get some of them on sunday. Like "Light of Altair", the demo was quite fun.

At all, i'm not really impressed by this summer sale. Most discounts arent more than 75% and the "Community Votings" and the "Flash Sales" just seem to recycle games which are (or will be) on sale anyway.

Any comments on Krater? Looked promising enough, but the WIT turned me down.

Finicky
20-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Anyone here played red faction: armageddon?

1 : How is the pc port?
-Resolution support, m/k support/ mouse acceleration shenanigans?
-how is performance on amd cards?
-any frameskipping bug like with guerrilla? any annoying stuff graphically?

2 : any shitty drm? (if so I'll keep my 5 euros and just pirate it)

3 : is it any good? How does it compare to the original red faction (the first game, not guerilla)

4: any flaws, annoyances in how it plays?

Mistabashi
20-07-2012, 05:04 AM

3 : is it any good? How does it compare to the original red faction (the first game, not guerilla)

It's a solid port, didn't have any issues with it besides the fact that it crashed a couple of times for no apparent reason. I don't think it has any shitty DRM (it doesn't have GfWL like the previous one).

As for how it plays, it's pretty fun. It's completely linear, but it makes good use of the destruction in actual combat (the magnet gun is awesome) and it's interspersed with regular mech suit sections. The plot is rather silly, but they make no bones about it so I quite enjoyed the silliness. It's a lot more like the first games than Guerilla, although you'll spend most of the time fighing jumpy/skuttley/'splodey alien critters rather than humans. Stick with the guns that make things explode (and the magnet gun!) and you'll probably have fun, for that kind of money I'd say it's worthwhile.

Finicky
20-07-2012, 05:12 AM
Thanks, sounds good.

I liked the original red faction a lot better than guerrilla: I love sandbox games but the shooting in guerilla was awful (and you have to do a LOT of it) and (at least the first 2 zones before I quit) didn't feel like a sandbox at all.
That and the constant frameskipping making the driving bits unplayable ruined things for me. I've tried to give it a chance twice now but it's just too janky.

I really hope the shooting is better in armageddon. (not a fan of mechs in shooters).

Mistabashi
20-07-2012, 05:21 AM
As far as shooting goes, you start off with a standard-issue assault rifle, which isn't all that fun to be fair, but you soon get given some much more interesting toys so you can dump the conventional weapons entirely (you can only carry 4 weapons at a time, but you can swap-out weapons at inventory stations dotted along the way). It's a good, dumb shooter, I think most people who didn't like it were looking for something more like Guerilla rather than a simple on-rails thing, at full price I would have been disppointed but I picked it up for 5 a while ago and was pleasantly surprised.

vee41
20-07-2012, 05:39 AM
+1 for GalCiv2. Also, for a bit more light hearted and combat focused 4x fix there is Sins Of Solar Empire:Trinity for less than 4e.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 05:47 AM
+1 for GalCiv2. Also, for a bit more light hearted and combat focused 4x fix there is Sins Of Solar Empire:Trinity for less than 4e.

Rebellion renders Trinity obsolete, since it's standalone and includes all Trinity content. Then again, I don't think Sins is much of a 4x anyway. For a light-hearted, and combat focused 4X, in contrast to Gal Civ 2, I'll give my usual recommendation of Sword of the Stars 1: Complete Collection.

johnki
20-07-2012, 05:49 AM
I caved and bought a few smaller games. Went for The Dream Machine, which intrigues me, Cubemen, which sounds fun, and Dinner Date, since I like an artsy type game every now and then.

jnx
20-07-2012, 06:08 AM

Well for me it really didn't play (http://www.redfaction.com/forums/topic/14203).

vee41
20-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Rebellion renders Trinity obsolete, since it's standalone and includes all Trinity content.

I thought about it, but considering what is the price difference between rebellion and trinity I don't think rebellion offers enough content to justify the 20e price difference.

jnx
20-07-2012, 06:13 AM
I thought about it, but considering what is the price difference between rebellion and trinity I don't think rebellion offers enough content to justify the 20e price difference.

If one is new to the game, I'd still recommend Rebellion since it's an upgrade on visuals and audio too. The game still isn't much of a looker though.

Gnoupi
20-07-2012, 06:32 AM

That's weird. I had only GalCiv2: Dread lords (the base, so), and on Stardock's site it tells me to download it through the Gamestop client only. Same from the Stardock Central client, it's not showing up there.

Doesn't matter, bought the ultimate edition on Steam! (And I was right to hope for a sale on it :P)

Squiz
20-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Actually, I would take one copy of Torchlight. But... is this some kind of gifting offer or do I have to pay :o?

Small hint:

vinraith
20-07-2012, 06:53 AM
That's weird. I had only GalCiv2: Dread lords (the base, so), and on Stardock's site it tells me to download it through the Gamestop client only. Same from the Stardock Central client, it's not showing up there.

Doesn't matter, bought the ultimate edition on Steam! (And I was right to hope for a sale on it :P)

Like I said above, it doesn't work for the older versions (anything in individual pieces), only for newer ones. Once you run Ultimate and register it to your Stardock account, you'll find it in the listing to download DRM-free.

Protoman
20-07-2012, 07:18 AM
On the subject of saints row 2, I was wondering why they didn't have a franchise sale? I wanted to buy SR2, but at only 50% it's not quite worth it when I can get so many good games for $2.49 and $4.99.

hariseldon
20-07-2012, 07:20 AM
SR2 is a steaming turd with a terrible pc conversion.

Spengbab
20-07-2012, 08:12 AM
I suspect they took an actual turd, tried to monetize the fuck out of it, failed, and then decided to ship it anyway. Saints Row was the unlucky logo that was within reach at the time.

Anyway, new votes!:

Last Remnant? SHIT! (Unless you like belts, big swords, more belts, girly indecisive males, even more belts and terrible spellcasting system (srsly, you cant even target your spells, what the dick))
Demigod? Was meant to be the new DotA back in the day, failed horribly. Which I find sad, since I thought it looked very impressive. Havent played it, so it got my vote. DO IT.
Splinter Cell? It's Splinter Cell part 1247, I gave up around the second sequel, and I really CBA to watch more of Sam's rooftop shenanigans, but if its your thing, ehhh, I gues. Scores are good.

Gnoupi
20-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Like I said above, it doesn't work for the older versions (anything in individual pieces), only for newer ones. Once you run Ultimate and register it to your Stardock account, you'll find it in the listing to download DRM-free.

Indeed.

Played a game this morning, I noticed a lot of new stuff, very nice. Though knowing about the "ascension" mechanic earlier would probably have been a good idea.

Demigod? Was meant to be the new DotA back in the day, failed horribly. Which I find sad, since I thought it looked very impressive. Havent played it, so it got my vote. DO IT.

Demigod is a DOTA in slow motion, and with somewhat weird mechanics, now that I think of it. Used to like it a lot, but not many people remaining to play it. The bots are distracting a moment, but nothing extraordinary. Now that I play LoL, I notice that indeed this game was a tidbit slow in its execution.

It's pretty, and some champions have personality (the walking tower is a good example of that).

Protoman
20-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Splinter cell conviction has some bullshit drm on it iirc.

Leopig
20-07-2012, 09:09 AM
uplay and thats about it from what I recall. Although it does state it needs always online, but I think that can be turned off now.

Raaritsgozilla
20-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Splinter Cell is awesome and worthy of your vote!

cowthief skank
20-07-2012, 09:46 AM
SR2 is a steaming turd with a terrible pc conversion.

Saints Row 2 is brilliant. It IS a shitty conversion and would have been much better had they put a little effort in, but even so it was brilliant. Of course, this was playing the thing in co-op with my friend - in single player it may have annoyed me, but in co-op it was an amazing experience.

Just for a different opinion in case somebody wants it.

The JG Man
20-07-2012, 10:53 AM
As for how it plays, it's pretty fun. It's completely linear, but it makes good use of the destruction in actual combat (the magnet gun is awesome) and it's interspersed with regular mech suit sections. The plot is rather silly, but they make no bones about it so I quite enjoyed the silliness. It's a lot more like the first games than Guerilla, although you'll spend most of the time fighing jumpy/skuttley/'splodey alien critters rather than humans. Stick with the guns that make things explode (and the magnet gun!) and you'll probably have fun, for that kind of money I'd say it's worthwhile.

I agree with this 100%. I will add, however, that I encountered a fun little bug that prevented me from manually saving. There is a checkpoint system, but there are times where it isn't very good and on one occasion I lost an hour of progress through a rather tough section. I didn't look into how common it was, but presenting a warning regardless.

Heliocentric
20-07-2012, 11:25 AM
uplay and thats about it from what I recall. Although it does state it needs always online, but I think that can be turned off now.

Correct, after the first launch the offline mode us perfect and will never ever fail.

Conviction is an incredible stealth action game, yes the "main campaign" with Sam is a little linear and can be annoying. But the game has more and better content. The Deniable Ops mode has a real ability to be focused on stealth, the coop is stunning, the competitive multiplayer is a very high standard sprawling pvp with neutral but hostile mooks, but only really peaks if you own the insurgency dlc which has the best maps.

Jams O'Donnell
20-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Last Remnant? SHIT! (Unless you like belts, big swords, more belts, girly indecisive males, even more belts and terrible spellcasting system (srsly, you cant even target your spells, what the dick))
It has a cat-man with four arms and a sword in each. Also, terrific art direction and monster design.

It's also a good JRPG on a PC, which is pretty fricken rare.

neema_t
20-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Well for me it really didn't play (http://www.redfaction.com/forums/topic/14203).

It didn't for me either until I copied it to my C: drive rather than trying to run it from D:. Same with Sniper Elite V2 and Saints Row 3, I have no idea why.

How? I must know this, seeing as the online modes never worked for me I don't think I'll miss them if I have to play offline. Then again I do really want the co-op mode working but I don't think that's something I can fix.

trjp
20-07-2012, 12:01 PM
SR2 was a terrible, terrible port of a brilliant brilliant old-school GTA game (the sort which are fun rather than tiresome, grim slogs)

SR2 with the Gentlemen of the Row mod was a brilliant game - end-of.

Heliocentric
20-07-2012, 12:07 PM
How? I must know this, seeing as the online modes never worked for me I don't think I'll miss them if I have to play offline. Then again I do really want the co-op mode working but I don't think that's something I can fix.

Boot game, log out of uplay, below login next to forgot password is "offline mode".

Done.

neema_t
20-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Boot game, log out of uplay, below login next to forgot password is "offline mode".

Done.

Excellent, thank you very much.

On the subject of sales, this year might've been far more expensive than I thought; DCS: Black Shark and Take On Helicopters have made me want a flight stick... I'm thinking Saitek X52 Pro. Wow, that's really not on the subject of sales at all, is it? Ok, how about this: I really hope today, tomorrow and Sunday's sales are as empty as the last two days' sales have been because I'm about 15 over my 40 budget.

TheDreamlord
20-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Hmm, question: I bought Ys Origin a few days ago (haven't played it yet). Is it worth getting Ys: The Oath Of Felghana, or are they too similar?

alms
20-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Went for The Dream Machine, which intrigues me, Cubemen, which sounds fun

I was attracted to Cubemen when it was first released but I've heard it's not very good in that, there are some tactics that lead to winning every single time. OTOH the game has been updated quite quickly since its first inception, so this might have changed.

OMG, Botanicula 75% off. I was gonna buy that too, but then I said to myself... it's too new of a game for me :P

Voted for Demigod as well, although no single player campaign is a turn off.

cowthief skank
20-07-2012, 01:05 PM
On the subject of sales, this year might've been far more expensive than I thought; DCS: Black Shark and Take On Helicopters have made me want a flight stick... I'm thinking Saitek X52 Pro.

Get one. If you're enjoying the games, playing them with a HOTAS setup is incredible. And if you still play them (or A-10C or any other flight sims) in a year or so, consider getting some rudder pedals too. Right good.

And a TrackIR.

Sorry if you posted hoping for somebody to persuade you not to spend more money...

johnki
20-07-2012, 01:17 PM
I was attracted to Cubemen when it was first released but I've heard it's not very good in that, there are some tactics that lead to winning every single time. OTOH the game has been updated quite quickly since its first inception, so this might have changed.It's kind of interesting, in that I've never seen anything quite like it, but the typical tower-defense-y mode is a bit difficult even when it's giving you hints at first, and the competitive mode I imagine is much more fun with a human opponent.

At $2 you can't go wrong, but it didn't leave the "holy crap, this is incredible" feeling that the first half hour of Dream Machine did.

trjp
20-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Hmm, question: I bought Ys Origin a few days ago (haven't played it yet). Is it worth getting Ys: The Oath Of Felghana, or are they too similar?

They're similar in that they're clearly the same type of action-JRPG/platformer - they're different in that Origin has multiple characters wheras Felghana only has one BUT Felghana has an overworld where you seek out quests wheras Origin is pretty-much linear and set in a dungeon.

If you like one you'll like the other - you probably don't NEED both tho :)

sabrage
20-07-2012, 01:28 PM
You should probably play the one before buying the other... They're both tough as nails and somewhat grind-intensive. Certainly not everyone's "thing".

alms
20-07-2012, 01:33 PM
And a TrackIR.

Well, the TrackIR can be replaced by a low-cost solution made of a free program, a cheap webcam and DIY.

Sorry if you posted hoping for somebody to persuade you not to spend more money...

It's like Alcoholics Anonymous where everyone is a bartender in disguise...

At $2 you can't go wrong, but it didn't leave the "holy crap, this is incredible" feeling that the first half hour of Dream Machine did.

I'm just curious to know whether they fixed what, in words, appeared to be a serious flaw in design. As for the TDM, I only played the demo of the first episode when it came out, the art design is fantastic but it gives me the creeps not in an entirely good way. Will probably get it anyway after it's completed.

There's literally a plethora of interesting games at a really silly price point, it's like cherries...

johnki
20-07-2012, 01:36 PM
the art design is fantastic but it gives me the creeps not in an entirely good way.Judging by the music, some of the dialogue exchanges at the beginning (I don't know much, don't spoil anything, I've just finished the first part in the apartment), etc, I think it's a safe bet to say that that's intentional. Much more so than a game like The Journey Down, where even though no one seems to be able to find their eyes, it's not supposed to be an analogy for them having no souls or something similar.

EDIT: Actually, the fact that it creeps me out that much with so little actual...creepiness...is part of the reason that I'm getting so immersed in it.

neema_t
20-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Get one. If you're enjoying the games, playing them with a HOTAS setup is incredible. And if you still play them (or A-10C or any other flight sims) in a year or so, consider getting some rudder pedals too. Right good.

And a TrackIR.

I'm hoping to integrate it into my sim rig which has just become the place where I sit for all PC use now (comfy chair + triple monitors = why sit anywhere else?), so I have a set of G27 pedals in place already. Could they work as rudder pedals or is there more to it than that? I know you can get an adaptor to turn the pedals into a separate USB device so I thought I might try that as I can't fit two sets of pedals under there. Also TrackIR is on my list too, all in good time...

Hah, not bloody likely! For some reason my college is going to pay me 100 for passing my course, I think I've already spent it (in my mind).

alms
20-07-2012, 01:48 PM
I think it's a safe bet to say that that's intentional. Much more so than a game like The Journey Down, where even though no one seems to be able to find their eyes, it's not supposed to be an analogy for them having no souls or something similar.

I'm sure someone said this already, but it reminds me of those eastern block cartoons that gave me the creeps as a kid. Maybe that's intentional too!

Yes, TJD has a very different atmosphere (don't get me wrong if I don't reply to some of your remarks, more often than not I'm just in total agreement, and saying that every time with nothing else to add seems a bit silly).

And between the atmosphere and the glimpses of the story, my preference goes to TJD. The premise seemed more original and interesting, while TDM appeared more formulaic and trope ridden. Then again, it's what they do with the premise, TJD has probably more potential to disappoint. Waiting for the second episode to be released, might be a long-ish wait.

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 02:52 PM
"Yo Dawg, I heard you like Steam, so I put a Steam-clone in your Steam so you can launch games and get achievements while you launch games and get achievements."

-Ubisoft

cowthief skank
20-07-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm hoping to integrate it into my sim rig which has just become the place where I sit for all PC use now (comfy chair + triple monitors = why sit anywhere else?), so I have a set of G27 pedals in place already. Could they work as rudder pedals or is there more to it than that? I know you can get an adaptor to turn the pedals into a separate USB device so I thought I might try that as I can't fit two sets of pedals under there. Also TrackIR is on my list too, all in good time...

I know my pedals are linked for the rudder - ie, you push the left forward, the right moves back - as well as having toe brakes with similar movement to racing pedals. I would think you could set the racing pedals up to work the rudder, and a quick google suggests this is true.

You could maybe set your left and centre pedals to work the rudder, and the right pedal as a separate wheel brake for landing, perhaps? Something like that? It is a brilliant feeling though, controlling your aircraft even moderately well. The first time I flew with a HOTAS I knew I had made the right choice (had been undecided for awhile).

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 04:11 PM
They sure are flogging Max Payne, eh?

Strategy-people should buy CK2, on sale now, but of course they already have. Awesome game/deal, and there's a really nice Westeros mod for the more Song-of-Ice-and-Fire-inclined.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 04:31 PM
"Yo Dawg, I heard you like Steam, so I put a Steam-clone in your Steam so you can launch games and get achievements while you launch games and get achievements."

-Ubisoft

This is why I tend not to buy Ubi games from Steam, I don't need one unwanted launcher launching another unwanted launcher to in turn launch the game.

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 04:44 PM
It really is insane. Also the fact that I had to install their unwanted wrapper, create a log-in, give them my email address, look at their ads, etc. to play my game really gets my goat.

"We've got to find a way to fight piracy."

"Degrade the user experience for paying customers?"

"Good idea, they love that."

"So it's decided."

Tikey
20-07-2012, 04:47 PM
It really is insane. Also the fact that I had to install their unwanted wrapper, create a log-in, give them my email address, look at their ads, etc. to play my game really gets my goat.

"We've got to find a way to fight piracy."

"Degrade the user experience for paying customers?"

"Good idea, they love that."

"So it's decided."

Ok, I'm not going to buy conviction then

Giaddon
20-07-2012, 04:55 PM
No Uplay game I've ever owned has made me look at ads.

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 05:01 PM
I would consider the skins, wallpapers, and addons displayed directly below the game when you're launching it, all of which have prices prominently displayed next to them, to be advertisements.

Anthile
20-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Let's just say I demanded a refund for HoMM6 because it wouldn't work thanks to the "Unoplay" launcher. I also very diplomatically told them to say to Ubisoft to go fuck themselves.

cowthief skank
20-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Uplay is certainly better than it was a year or so ago. Aside from the outage at the weekend, it was a relatively painless experience to get From Dust to work. Utterly pointless, but relatively pain-free. Still don't understand why, after having just installed it from Steam, it then insisted on downloading yet more data for it though.

Finicky
20-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Uplay? More like NoSale, get it?

Heliocentric
20-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Ok, I'm not going to buy conviction then

That's a shame because it's bloody good.

Tikey
20-07-2012, 05:08 PM
I'll buy it if you promise me to play multiplayer with me.

Heliocentric
20-07-2012, 05:13 PM
I'll buy it if you promise me to play multiplayer with me.

We can have romantic evenings throwing guards out windows, get the regular edition and the dlc.

Tikey
20-07-2012, 05:15 PM
So I shouldn't buy the deluxe edition that comes with the inflitration mode?

Rauten
20-07-2012, 05:18 PM
We can have romantic evenings throwing guards out windows, get the regular edition and the dlc.

You people disgust me, go find a motel!

Heliocentric
20-07-2012, 05:21 PM
No, you can unlock the excellent infiltration mode by playing the game paying with UPlay points.

TechnoJellyfish
20-07-2012, 05:45 PM
What would be the best starting point for one (me) who never played any Splinter Cell title at all?

alms
20-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Please god let us receive daily deals of the least interest possible to us and to the ones we love, amen.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 05:49 PM
What would be the best starting point for one (me) who never played any Splinter Cell title at all?

I'd be interested in knowing this as well. Also, I know Splinter Cell is primarily a stealth game, how does it handle detection? That is, can you fight your way out if you screw up, or is it instafail and restart?

Tikey
20-07-2012, 05:52 PM

I'd say that Chaos Theory is the high point of the series.

I'd be interested in knowing this as well. Also, I know Splinter Cell is primarily a stealth game, how does it handle detection? That is, can you fight your way out if you screw up, or is it instafail and restart?

As far as I can remember it can be both depending on the mission. Usually you can fight your way out. In another mission one detection is game over and in some other missions you can raise the alarms a set amount of times before game over.

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Come on come on come on Jagged Alliance!

EDIT: DAMN.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 05:58 PM
As far as I can remember it can be both depending on the mission. Usually you can fight your way out. In another mission one detection is game over and in some other missions you can raise the alarms a set amount of times before game over.

Hmm. I find instafail stealth games nerve-wracking to the point where I really just don't enjoy playing them. I'm less bothered if there's a "you screwed up, now extract yourself from this situation" fail state. Are any of the games in the series more prone to one than the other?

Spengbab
20-07-2012, 06:06 PM
From today's Indie pack I can not recommend Capsized (http://store.steampowered.com/app/95300/) enough - great game

Wondering about Crysis 2 myself. Enjoyed the first and it's expansion, though they were way too short.

Rauten
20-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Question, how bad is the UbiDRM on Driver:SF? single activation, UPlay integration, or full on Always On buttrape?

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Their coma-stricken executives possess you and drive your body the whole time you're playing it.

gundato
20-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Hmm. I find instafail stealth games nerve-wracking to the point where I really just don't enjoy playing them. I'm less bothered if there's a "you screwed up, now extract yourself from this situation" fail state. Are any of the games in the series more prone to one than the other?

Conviction, To my recollection, there is only one level that has insta-fail if you get caught.
Avoid Pandora Tomorrow like the plague. I recall just about every level either being insta-fail or having "get caught 3 times and we end it"
I forget the ratio, but the original, Chaos Theory, and Double Agent have a variety. But don't play Double Agent unless you have a PS2 (All the next-gen and PC versions kind of sucked...).

Tikey
20-07-2012, 06:11 PM

I really can't remember. I played them a long time ago.
Of course -If I'm remembering correctly- you can save and load almost anywhere so you don't have that silly checkpoint system if you screw up.
I'd prefer that someone more familiar with the series stepped in as I can't be of much help.

Regarding the sale: Goodbye money.

Drake Sigar
20-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Hmm. I find instafail stealth games nerve-wracking to the point where I really just don't enjoy playing them.I don't mind as long as it's my fault. Sometimes I'd get an alert warning that a body had been discovered late in the mission, even if I took out every guard. Are these automatic after a certain time period? Do new guys just show up randomly to search the first half of the level and start wreaking your well-laid plans? I don't know. At times it didn't seem to matter how well I hid the bodies.

Giaddon
20-07-2012, 06:20 PM
RE: Splinter Cell.

The ones you want to take a look at are Chaos Theory and Conviction. They're both fantastic, for different reasons.

Chaos Theory is methodical and slow, with a big emphasis on using gadgets and using darkness to hide in. Definitely not insta-fail on detection, but you will make it harder for yourself if you are seen. It has some very interesting features, like using the mouse wheel as a throttle to set the speed of Sam at a very fine detail. It's probably all-around the best modern stealth game you can buy. If your idea of stealth is Garret from Thief (although guns make you more lethal than Garret ever was), get this.

Conviction is fluid and aggressive, but still based around stealth. Instead of using dark corners to hide in, Conviction is all about physically hiding behind objects, and it manages this ably with the best cover mechanic I've ever seen. Basically you can point Sam at distant pieces of cover and he will smoothly glide between them. It feels great. It also features a move where you can target a few enemies and then automatically shoot at them all in rapid succession once you have earned it with a close-quarters takedown. There's some great encounter design that takes advantage of it, as well. If your idea of stealth is Batman from the Arkham games, get this.

$7.50 for both of them is a total steal.

(And Vinraith, Conviction has an excellent co-op campaign and deniable-ops (random scenario) modes).

Faldrath
20-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Everyone vote for Risen, it was pretty annoying that when Risen II was the daily they didn't discount the first one as well.

Also, I cannot recommend Driver:SF enough. Best arcade racing game in a long time, Uplay and all (on a positive note regarding Uplay, I did find it nice that you can "buy" all the relevant DLC with just the Uplay achievement points you'll get from simply playing the campaign).

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Here's the RPS write-up on Driver SF:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/28/wot-i-think-driver-san-francisco/

I honestly had no idea this was a good game. Looks like it could be a good pass n' play game.

Things are getting grim in the numberofgamesbought department.

Tritagonist
20-07-2012, 06:28 PM
The last few days have been very easy on my card indeed. Some games seem to be on sale practically constantly due to the Flash/Vote/Daily combinations - e.g. Dungeon Defenders. In any case, I'd recommend Deus Ex: Human Revolution for today's sale. It's a pretty decent game, even though I thought they didn't really succeed in presenting the story they seemed to want to tell. The gameplay itself is fun though, especially if you mix up the sneaking and violent approaches a bit. And Far Cry 2, currently a Flash Sale (11 more hours), is also a really good deal at €2.50!

vinraith
20-07-2012, 06:35 PM
(And Vinraith, Conviction has an excellent co-op campaign and deniable-ops (random scenario) modes).

Thanks for the summary, I actually have both from a previous sale, just wasn't sure whether they were worth playing for someone with an allergy to instafail stealth. I'm pleased to hear that they are, and even more pleased to see the phrase "random scenario" associated with one of them.

As for the topic, this has been a good/bad day for me, as Steam is finally discounting stuff I was likely going to buy at the end of the sale regardless. First Gal Civ 2, now Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

gundato
20-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Yeah, Deniable Ops is basically like the Terrorist Hunt missions from the R6 games. you'll still want to use stealth, but it is really all about killing everyone while not dying.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Yeah, Deniable Ops is basically like the Terrorist Hunt missions from the R6 games. you'll still want to use stealth, but it is really all about killing everyone while not dying.

Awesome. Speaking of terrorist hunt missions, do the newer R6's still have that? I've not played one since Raven Shield. I know they've gotten a lot more... main streamy, and a lot less tactical, but I'm still curious.

elephant god
20-07-2012, 06:39 PM
way back when, I loved the original Far Cry demo to bits due to its sandboxyness (the demo!). About Far Cry 2 i heard the negative argument that the whole environment is done very well, but it's so hostile that it takes the fun away.

Giaddon
20-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Awesome. Speaking of terrorist hunt missions, do the newer R6's still have that? I've not played one since Raven Shield. I know they've gotten a lot more... main streamy, and a lot less tactical, but I'm still curious.

Yeah, both the Vegases do.

gundato
20-07-2012, 06:51 PM

They actually are a lot harder in the Vegases, believe it or not. More wide open spaces and the enemies tend to charge you.

way back when, I loved the original Far Cry demo to bits due to its sandboxyness (the demo!). About Far Cry 2 i heard the negative argument that the whole environment is done very well, but it's so hostile that it takes the fun away.
I actually loved the environment. My problem was that traveling is hell (taking the bus helps). Especially if you get run off the road or your car blows up and you have to walk/swim to a new vehicle.

internetonsetadd
20-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I was attracted to Cubemen when it was first released but I've heard it's not very good in that, there are some tactics that lead to winning every single time. OTOH the game has been updated quite quickly since its first inception, so this might have changed.

I bought it on sale a couple weeks ago, and played several levels. What I played didn't seem to invite a particularly creative approach. More like, try a few tactics out until you find the one tactic that doesn't fail. The problem is, when you fail, you fail hard. Each level seems to be won or lost at minute tipping points, which makes playing both winning and losing battles equally dull. When losing, essentially you're forced to keep spamming whichever units you can afford while repeatedly sending increasingly weaker units to their deaths until you're overrun. I didn't try all the game modes, so perhaps there's something compelling that I missed, but I didn't have any fun with this one.

SirKicksalot
20-07-2012, 06:56 PM
The thing about Far Cry 2 is that the harder you push, the harder it pushes back at you. If you're playing it pedal-to-the-metal Rambo 2 style, it's going to strike back at you really hard and fast. You can calm down and take your time to plan routes or engage in methodical combat and the game responds appropriately.
If you're plowing through ten checkpoints at 100 Km/h, then no shit you'll have 50 dudes trying to kill you.

You can also park on top of a rock and snipe dudes in the valley with a dart rifle. Maybe at night, when there are less guards and they're not as active. Shoot some dude in the leg, then take out his friends as they try to drag him to safety. I guarantee most Far Cry 2 haters have no idea how the environment and AI respond to your actions.

There is, of course, a great element of randomness. Your plans can and will blow up in your face. Sometimes you're just not lucky enough. Wind will spread the fire to an ammo cache which will blow up the entire gas station and your escape vehicles, and then you'll have to run for your life through the jungle only to stumble upon another enemy camp. I love those moments.

Question, how bad is the UbiDRM on Driver:SF? single activation, UPlay integration, or full on Always On buttrape?

Single activation and UPlay. If the servers are down there's a "play offline" button on the UPlay client. It's an awesome game.

trjp
20-07-2012, 06:57 PM
ITSP for 2.99 - YES PLEASE

vinraith
20-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Yup, by far the most excited I've been about a discount all sale.

Tritagonist
20-07-2012, 06:59 PM
It does have that whole 'assumption of hostility' thing, where you can only approach specifically designated friendly NPCs while everything else will shoot at you at first contact. However, I wouldn't say it's overly hostile. Kicksalot makes a good point:

The thing about Far Cry 2 is that the harder you push, the harder it pushes back at you.

Eight Rooks
20-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Far Cry 2's environment is great, if far more linear and restrictive than anyone wanted to admit to begin with - massive natural barriers you can't traverse all over the shop funnelling you down predetermined paths. The main problem is the narrative is awful, from the bizarre voice acting on all the important characters (rapid-fire tranquilised monotone) to the complete lack of any moral dimension (no element of choice, no identification with any of it anyway, dull, clumsy, leaden writing) to the lack of any interplay between what you do and how the story progresses (makes absolutely no difference to the plot how you approach your missions, you're not given any opportunity to do anything particularly vile or saintly anyway, the buddy system is completely pointless and the ending is hysterically bad). Re: the front page article on enjoying games - I did enjoy Far Cry 2, I did, I did, I did. My jaw frequently dropped wandering the savannah and thinking of the most apposite way to send the next group of heavily armed mercenaries I ran into to a firey death. But I loathed the narrative. Utter, utter waste of one of the most golden opportunities anyone's ever come up with, and Spec Ops: The Line just confirms for me I was right to grouch about the mess Clint Hocking made of Ubi's game.

Faldrath
20-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Yup, by far the most excited I've been about a discount all sale.

What's so special about that game? There's little RPS coverage, Eurogamer's review was rather tepid... sell it to me :)

trjp
20-07-2012, 07:10 PM
What's so special about that game? There's little RPS coverage, Eurogamer's review was rather tepid... sell it to me :)

It's one of those titles which looks intriguing, plays quite well, does nothing really amazing and thus always looked a BIT pricey.

So 2.99 removes one of the issues at a stroke then :)

vinraith
20-07-2012, 07:10 PM

Watch the trailer. If you're not sold from that, don't bother with it.

SirKicksalot
20-07-2012, 07:11 PM
to the complete lack of any moral dimension (no element of choice, no identification with any of it anyway,

I liked that. It's Heart of Darkness from the perspective of a goon. It's madness out there and you're reveling in it.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 07:13 PM
I liked that. It's Heart of Darkness from the perspective of a goon. It's madness out there and you're reveling in it.

That was, in fact, the whole point of the game, as clearly spelled out in the (outstanding, narratively) finale. There's no "morally correct" way to run around an African country murdering people for money. I love that about this game, but then I love everything about this game but the respawn rate.

Tikey
20-07-2012, 07:13 PM
I've realized I haven't played a good fps in a while.
So you people recommend Crysis or Far Cry 2? I'm looking for some solid FPSing. I'm open to other suggestions too.

gundato
20-07-2012, 07:14 PM
So you people recommend Crysis or Far Cry 2? I'm looking for some solid FPSing. I'm open to other suggestions too.

Of those two, Crysis is the better FPS. Far Cry 2 is really more like a first-person GTA-clone (lots of driving everywhere).

In general: Get STALKER if you want plot, play Blacklight if you want multiplayer (F2P too), or Serious Sam if you want ultraviolence.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Far Cry 2, easily, Crysis is great for awhile but turns to complete ass halfway through. Far Cry 2 is great from start to finish, just don't feel like you have to kill everything that's hostile. The respawn issue is easily resolved by developing a willingness to run checkpoints, rather than stop for them, unless they have something you need.

Damn, this conversation is making me want to replay FC2. I have too much new crap to play to be doing that!

airtekh
20-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet uses Games for Windows Live apparently, in case you're allergic to it.

Anyone played Red Orchestra 2? I heard it had a pretty bad launch, is it better now?

Far Cry 2 is like the Marmite of games: you either love it or hate it. I absolutely adore it, but your mileage may vary.

Giaddon
20-07-2012, 07:21 PM
1) Fun note: Clint Hocking, the lead designer of Far Cry 2, was also the lead designer of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

2) Far Cry 2 is better than Crysis, but the best FPS I've played recently is The Darkness 2, and the best shooting game in general is Max Payne 3.

3) Red Orchestra runs well now. There are population issues but the game itself works.

Faldrath
20-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Watch the trailer. If you're not sold from that, don't bother with it.

Looks really pretty, but I suspect that I'd find the shmup+puzzle gameplay rather frustrating (because of my general lack of skill when it comes to action games like that).

edit: I also think Far Cry 2 is a brilliant game, despite the maddening respawns.

Colonel J
20-07-2012, 07:23 PM

Just spotted that it's GFWL on Steam. Sigh. Oh well I put up with GFWL for Bulletstorm and Batman AA, I guess I can again.

I was hoping that ITSP might turn up in a Humble Bundle or similar in the near future, though presumably it'll be locked-in to GFWL the foreseeable future, so not likely. Might as well buy it now then. Is it a Steam exclusive for PC? It's not on Gamersgate.

gundato
20-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Anyone played Red Orchestra 2? I heard it had a pretty bad launch, is it better now?

I got RO2 at launch and loved it. The main problem was that achievements didn't work (and one training mission couldn't be passed until a hotfix...). That, with the less traditional gameplay (it has more in common with ArmA than CoD) pissed off the VERY vocal people.

I still play it occasionally, but I have bad memories of the online for the original RO (I couldn't go two games without people pestering me to join their clans. it REALLY pissed me off).

trjp
20-07-2012, 07:26 PM
I just like Conviction because it has MASSIVE WORDS ON BUILDINGS and things like that.

I'm a sucker for that stuff :)

vinraith
20-07-2012, 07:26 PM
I was hoping that ITSP might turn up in a Humble Bundle or similar in the near future, though presumably it'll be locked-in to GFWL the foreseeable future, so not likely. Might as well buy it now then. Is it a Steam exclusive for PC? It's not on Gamersgate.

Yeah, as best I can tell it's Steam exclusive or I'd have already picked it up from somewhere else. I'm not really crazy about layering Steam on top of other intrusive client DRM if I can avoid it.

Tei
20-07-2012, 07:31 PM
I just like Conviction because it has MASSIVE WORDS ON BUILDINGS and things like that.

I'm a sucker for that stuff :)

You must install a mod that force these text to use comic sans.

Finicky
20-07-2012, 07:33 PM

SP or MP?
I wouldn't recommend either far cry 2 or crysis 2... They both have sub par shooting , the former is plagued by frustrating flaws, the latter by batshit retarded AI and dull setpiece after dull setpiece.

For good sp gunplay you want to play either Hard reset or RAGE (former has very nice gunplay, but still lacks the proper movement gameplay from oldschool shooters, the latter has serious graphical flaws, is too linear, has stupid rpg elements but at least the shooting is much better than in crysis2/far cry2, though still flawed).

There's also stalker shadow of chernobyl for pure atmosphere, though since you asked for a good shooter I guess it's not so much atmosphere you are after but good shooting (which is meh in stalker).

For MP:
Blacklight retribution is a turd: cod like gameplay, poor performance for amd users, incredibly bad netcode. (even worse than that of crysis 2 and that is saying something).
You could try Section 8 prejudice if the community is still alive, it's a very polished game that plays more like battlefield than battlefield 3 ever did and is good fun, for some reason it got ignored (not enough ads on tv and in magazines and on the internet telling people that they want it I guess).

Kodeen
20-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Would I be correct in thinking that ITSP is in the same arena as Aquaria?

SirKicksalot
20-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Damn, this conversation is making me want to replay FC2. I have too much new crap to play to be doing that!

Summer is the best time to play Far Cry 2. Kill the air conditioner/fan, bathe yourself in hotness and humidity and descend into madness.

Anthile
20-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Incidentally, I started and finished ITSP today. It's a really short game, only took me about 5 hours and I found just about all of the collectibles. It's pretty standard Metroidvania gameplay and I guess the closest relative would be Aquaria but due to the small size of the game it feels really more like a gimmick. That said, it's just not very good. It's generally too easy, the combat is lame and it simply lacks any sort of highlights. I do like the art style though. Kind of like Limbo crossed with World of Goo.
One thing is even worse: it completely lacks any sort of atmosphere, character or even a plot. Besides the menus there is not a single bit of text in the game, no voiceovers or cutscenes. You're on the titular planet to destroy it and that's all the exposition you'll ever get.
Go buy Aquaria or Cave Story+ instead.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Ah, good, the one thing I was worried about was that it might be too hard, I'm terrible at these things and the only thing I hate as much as an over-easy strategy game is an over-hard twitch game. I could care less about plot too. Aquaria had a lovely first 30 minutes and then turned into a terribly uninteresting SCHMUP, and the horror stories I've heard about Cave Story+ in this thread ensure I'll never go anywhere near it. It sounds like I got the right game, though it's a shame about the length.

Tikey
20-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the advice. I might just skip buying something (I've realized that I've spent too much) new and look in the backlog. I remember at least having Call of Prypiat there.

gundato
20-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Ah, good, the one thing I was worried about was that it might be too hard, I'm terrible at these things and the only thing I hate as much as an over-easy strategy game is an over-hard twitch game. I could care less about plot too. Aquaria had a lovely first 30 minutes and then turned into a terribly uninteresting SCHMUP, and the horror stories I've heard about Cave Story+ in this thread ensure I'll never go anywhere near it. It sounds like I got the right game, though it's a shame about the length.

Cave Story is great, so long as you know where to stop.

Basically, you have the bad ending where it never gets harder than a Metroid game.
Then you have the good ending where it rapidly starts to approach dickish levels of difficulty.

Be smart, play the fun part and skip the crappy

Casimir Effect
20-07-2012, 08:19 PM
I echo what SirKicksalot and Vinraith say about FarCry 2: it's easily my favourite FPS of all time. Just don't go in expecting it to play like Call of Duty or Fallout 3 or GTA (like some guy above compared it to). This is a game where you get out what you put in, and can provide some of the best gaming moments you will ever have.

Crysis is itself a great game for the first 3/4, opinions differ after that. It has a tendancy to give you a place to go and not really care how you get there which often makes it feel a lot more open and nonlinear than it really is. The combat is also pretty fun and, like FC2, more often than not your excellently designed plans will fall apart after a few minutes - usually becuase of misjudging nanosuit power.
Crysis 2 I bounced off: the AI annoyed me, the story isn't even B-movie quality yet takes itself completely seriously, and it tries and fails to do what the original did to make a corridor game feel more open. I'll go back to it one day and play it again but it is very far down the list.

neema_t
20-07-2012, 08:20 PM
They actually are a lot harder in the Vegases, believe it or not. More wide open spaces and the enemies tend to charge you.

Not to mention they spawn in rooms you've already 'cleared', which kind of makes tactical play difficult, but when you get used to it it's great fun sometimes. Very tense when you get down to the last few and you know you've already been through the entire map, I actually spent many, many hours playing terrorist hunts with friends (on the PS3, back when there was all of about five games out (i.e. the first two years after it was released)) even though the game was quite, well, Shonky. Fun, though.

I'm getting pretty mixed up about this thread because I have about five pages open in different tabs, are we still talking about Far Cry 2? I have a love/hate relationship with it, love it for the general setting, plot, diverse tactical approaches to situations and gunplay but hate it for the bizarre voice acting (were they paying by the minute or something?), respawn rate and glitches. Last time I played the Journalist just up and disappeared which was kind of annoying, people weren't where they were supposed to be, enemies sometimes spawned inside the terrain (and could still shoot you, of course) and a few other things that I can't even remember now which did everything they could to rip you out of the immersion. On the whole though the game is pretty damn good.

elephant god
20-07-2012, 09:01 PM
I just did a little research and while FarCry 2 costs more on GOG, it still has Securom and an activation limit on steam, so i think I'll pass, and maybe jump onto it when it's 50% on GOG. I've still got to play two STALKER games :)

alms
20-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Speaking of papercuts slash cherries, Deus Ex at 2.49. I had it in my cart and was just about to seal the deal when I stumbled on a shard of self-control and promptly cut my LMB finger with it.

Scumbag
20-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Be aware with Red Orchestra 2 that if you are not really into games that savagely curbstomp you for making mistakes (small or large) the game really wont be that fun, sort of like a multiplayer version of Medal of Honor's "Spot the sniper" towns, but with real people, and you sometimes being the sniper in the towers.

squareking
20-07-2012, 09:14 PM
ITSP for $3.74! I've never bought anything on Steam so quickly and with such fervor. Except Dredmor.

Heliocentric
20-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Be aware with Red Orchestra 2 that if you are not really into games that savagely curbstomp you for making mistakes (small or large) the game really wont be that fun, sort of like a multiplayer version of Medal of Honor's "Spot the sniper" towns, but with real people, and you sometimes being the sniper in the towers.
Not true, pro zig zag running can save you vs real people, but AI snipers pop you anyway.

Tritagonist
20-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Not true, pro zig zag running can save you vs real people, but AI snipers pop you anyway.

It's definitely a tactic you'll want to master if you're serious about MP FPS games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgsD48sdnpI

On a slightly more serious note, Zeno Clash is part of the Indie Bundle, or just €2.99 on its own. Though I can't unquestionably recommend it - it's definitely worth checking out as it has some interesting ideas.

Rauten
20-07-2012, 09:27 PM
I just did a little research and while FarCry 2 costs more on GOG, it still has Securom and an activation limit on steam, so i think I'll pass, and maybe jump onto it when it's 50% on GOG. I've still got to play two STALKER games :)

What? I'd swear Steam's FarCry2 has no extra DRM, it was removed. That's why I bought it.

elephant god
20-07-2012, 09:34 PM
What? I'd swear Steam's FarCry2 has no extra DRM, it was removed. That's why I bought it.

ok, now I did some "real" research and while it says on FC2s store page there's a Securom 5 machine activation limit, the steam forums consensus is that it's been patched out. sorry for that.

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 09:36 PM
I echo what SirKicksalot and Vinraith say about FarCry 2: it's easily my favourite FPS of all time.

That's almost enough for me to crack it open again - I do have good memories of ... well not good really ...

See I got myself in a bit of trouble with the bandit-folk, and my shooty companionman tried to bail me out. He got his ass shot to hell and I ... well I had to ...

It's too hard to say. RIP shooty companion dude.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 09:56 PM
ok, now I did some "real" research and while it says on FC2s store page there's a Securom 5 machine activation limit, the steam forums consensus is that it's been patched out. sorry for that.

I've never been sure whether to take that seriously. Honestly, as someone that owns it on Steam, I'll probably rebuy it on GOG the next time there's a sale just to have a copy that I know is completely free of DRM, be it SecuROM, Steam, or both.

TillEulenspiegel
20-07-2012, 10:04 PM
I've never been sure whether to take that seriously. Honestly, as someone that owns it on Steam, I'll probably rebuy it on GOG the next time there's a sale just to have a copy that I know is completely free of DRM, be it SecuROM, Steam, or both.
But...you already bought the game. If anything goes wrong with the DRM, you're morally entitled to just pirate it. Though I suppose GOG is more convenient.

gundato
20-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Oh, Crysis 2 is defiitely worth getting at that price.

Crysis 2 is actually a really fun FPS. And the aliens aren't all that bad in this one (they are basically just really durable humans).
Crysis 1 was insanely fun up until the squid-aliens popped out, at which point it went downhill. But that is still 90% good game.
Crysis Warhead basically managed to be 95% fun game by largely dropping all concerns of story and just making it about blowing stuff up and shooting things.

I think Crysis suffers from the same problem that plagued Mass Effect 3: People got REALLY pissed because they didn't like the last five minutes, which made them act like they hated the entire game. The same thing happened to Lost: nobody liked the last few seasons, but I heard nothing but good stuff about the first few. But if you ask most people, the last episode ruined the first one somehow.

Mistabashi
20-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Check out the big list of third-party DRM on Steam (http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/index.php?page=DRM_Lists/The_Big_DRM_List#03_hardware_based_starforce_actco ntrol.txt) - Far Cry 2's activation limit was removed in a patch (it still includes some parts of SecuRom, but it's 'inert'.

Scumbag
20-07-2012, 10:10 PM

True, but usually the new players don't do that much and complain an awful lot.
Its more like MoH in the context that you have wartorn town before you with a number of multistory buildings. Any nook or cranny could be holding a sniper, and Red Orchestra does train the brain to pixel hunt rather well.

Finicky
20-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Oh, Crysis 2 is defiitely worth getting at that price.

I think Crysis suffers from the same problem that plagued Mass Effect 3: People got REALLY pissed because they didn't like the last five minutes, which made them act like they hated the entire game. The same thing happened to Lost: nobody liked the last few seasons, but I heard nothing but good stuff about the first few. But if you ask most people, the last episode ruined the first one somehow.

I was bored out of my mind throughout the first 3 and a half hours and just gave up...

Going to vouch for red faction : armageddon (it's still on sale just not on a daily anymore but worth getting).
It's much more sandboxy than the first game (if guerilla counts as sandbox then so does *shudder* assassin's creed).

Here the sandbox part is in the gameplay where it should be (not in drive around in a space with fuck all in it while doing chores), you get a wide variety of weapons and powers (physics based ones too) that are actually interesting and fun to use, are constantly surrounded by things to blow up or launch into enemies.
You can repair things you destroy (relight the environment, repair bridges, make cover by repairing something that just got shot down) and physics as a whole are handled a LOT better than in guerrilla.

In guerilla I spent half the time semi stuck by small objects while destroying buildings, in escort missions if you dare roll your vehicle more than 45 (less than 90 still lol) degrees horizontally then the npc inside would ragdoll and die *so even when just driving over a bump or bouncing off an enemy car), in armageddon those frustrations are completely gone which makes it a LOT more enjoyable to play.

It also reminds me a lot more of the first red faction than guerrilla does, sure you cant blow holes in bedrock but the levels and floors and ceilings are very destructible (much more than in guerilla) .
In ref faction 1 steel walls couldnt be destroyed (later levels were almost fully out of steel walls and floors) and here most of the rock can't be destroyed.

It also has really really nice graphics and lighting, supports msaaa, runs extremely smoothly on a modest hd6870 (again unlike guerilla that has frameskipping issues and runs poorly with ssao on despite being ugly) and nicely atmospheric environments.

It's a much better game overall and it's sad that it got hammered by 90s babies who never played a red faction game before guerilla for being different than guerilla...

Also: get tales of monkey island, it's great!

gundato
20-07-2012, 10:47 PM
It's a much better game overall and it's sad that it got hammered by 90s babies who never played a red faction game before guerilla for being different than guerilla...

Also: get tales of monkey island, it's great!

Not liking RF: Guerilla makes you a bad person

Its more like they are different genres. And I played the original RFs: They are okay, but they are really just average FPSes with destructible environments (that you only really notice during a few fights). Guerilla was a GTA-clone, but arguably the best until Saints Row 3 (and I still prefer it in some regards). Armageddon just went back to the older style.

I SUPPOSE your acceptance of the greatness of Monkey Island might even you out. But you still have some thinking to do mister. You keep not liking RF Guerilla and you are going to bed with no supper.

Also EEP! I just realized the only copy of Guerilla I have is on Impulse. That's the opposite of good.

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 11:09 PM
The physics (and scale) of Guerrilla remain very impressive.

Casimir Effect
20-07-2012, 11:11 PM
For those wondering, patch 1.3 completely removed all DRM from FarCry 2, so no version around should have it anymore.

For the historians, it was released back before Ubi went completely crazy with DRM and just had this download limit thing. They released FC2 and people were angry with the DRM, citing this as the main reason for piracy. So they then made a big show of releasing Prince of Persia (this was in later in 2008 I think) completely DRM free as a challenge to the people who claim to pirate only because of DRM. I believe PoP got the shit pirated out of it, but the pirates justified that by saying there was no demo and they didn't like the game anyway. It was after this (and what happened with the PC release of AssCreed 1) that the Always-on stuff started to appear with AssCreed 2, Settlers 7 and Silent Hunter 5.

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Let me begin by saying I buy these games, but:

Pirates have a better experience. As a paying customer, I don't give a shit why my experience is worse. I resent it, and I feel like they're punishing me.

The worst part is UBI makes good games.

Onerous DRM does not cut down on piracy, it drives more people to it.

johnki
20-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Let me begin by saying I buy these games, but:

Pirates have a better experience. As a paying customer, I don't give a shit why my experience is worse. I resent it, and I feel like they're punishing me.

The worst part is UBI makes good games.

Onerous DRM does not cut down on piracy, it drives more people to it.
I don't remember if I've said it before, but if you buy a game, and you hate the DRM, I firmly believe you have the right to go download whatever version you want to make sure that that spiteful piece of crap that's supposed to guard the game from getting stolen doesn't have to be used.

EDIT: Though I'm not sure how well it stands up legally, due to most companies seeming to want to screw customer's out of basic consumer's rights by making the sales of games the sales of "licenses to play games". Even physical copies are that way, which is complete bullcrap. I don't understand why Sony was able to sue people like George Hotz (I think that was his name, right?) for hacking a PS3 that he physically owned and never had to pay on again.

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 11:19 PM
I agree, though I don't do it.

vinraith
20-07-2012, 11:25 PM
But...you already bought the game. If anything goes wrong with the DRM, you're morally entitled to just pirate it. Though I suppose GOG is more convenient.

GOG is more convenient and safer, and I paid all of $10 for the game originally. I ended up really enjoying it, so I'm not bothered giving them $5 more for it.

neema_t
20-07-2012, 11:35 PM
I don't understand why Sony was able to sue people like George Hotz (I think that was his name, right?) for hacking a PS3 that he physically owned and never had to pay on again.

I guess it's because he hacked the software and he only had a license for it and didn't own it.

I strongly considered pirating Splinter Cell: Conviction on the 424th time my internet cut out during a mission and the DRM didn't notice or care when my connection came back, therefore losing my progress since the last save (which, in all honesty, wasn't a lot but it really adds up when you have to do a 10 minute section over and over). In the end, however, I decided it was just easier and safer to stop playing that game and stop buying any other Ubisoft games. That lasted for two years, I bought a couple of Ubi games a month ago for 5 each as a very slight, begrudging nod that they're doing the right thing at last, but I won't pay any more than that for some time.

Also today, after much deliberation, umming and ahhing, I finally convinced myself to get Wings of Prey. The funny thing is I hadn't been because I'm way over budget, but that 2.50 spurred me on to also get Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (well, that and watching an LP of it, looks awesome) for 3. Is this the gaming addiction equivalent of a relapse?

Casimir Effect
20-07-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't remember if I've said it before, but if you buy a game, and you hate the DRM, I firmly believe you have the right to go download whatever version you want to make sure that that spiteful piece of crap that's supposed to guard the game from getting stolen doesn't have to be used.
That's basically where I stand on the whole thing, although I've never had to pirate anything due to restrictive DRM myself. In fact the only problem I've ever had is with Starforce (Spellforce 2 version) when it caused Windows to claim my entire HDD was corrupted. Deleting one little file after several hours searching and panicing made everything better again, that file was Starforce.

Let's not turn this thread into a Piracy Discussion though, there's enough of them popping up in other places. It's always depressing too: DRM using publishers are assholes, an amount of pirates are assholes, and the rest of us are caught in the middle trying to enjoy our hobby.

LTK
20-07-2012, 11:42 PM
On a slightly more serious note, Zeno Clash is part of the Indie Bundle, or just €2.99 on its own. Though I can't unquestionably recommend it - it's definitely worth checking out as it has some interesting ideas.
For €3, I can unquestionably recommend it! The combat may not resonate with everyone, but the story and setting are really fantastic. I've got this avatar for a reason, you see.

gundato
20-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Fun fact; SC Conviction's pirated version (at least around release) still uses the content servers. Run peerblock or turn off your internet and watch what happens.

So no, pirates don't have a better experience in those cases.

Smashbox
20-07-2012, 11:55 PM
For 3, I can unquestionably recommend it! The combat may not resonate with everyone, but the story and setting are really fantastic. I've got this avatar for a reason, you see.

Zeno Clash is Very Original, if nothing else.

neema_t
20-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Fun fact; SC Conviction's pirated version (at least around release) still uses the content servers. Run peerblock or turn off your internet and watch what happens.

So no, pirates don't have a better experience in those cases.

Oh right, well I'm glad I didn't do that then.

trjp
20-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Zeno Clash is Very Original, if nothing else.

It certainly is - tbh I found the actual combat to be utterly shit, but it is VERY novel.

Tritagonist
21-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Quite true, the fact that the combat is subject to some widely divergent opinions is the reason I cannot unquestionably recommend it. I do however think the game is worth giving a serious look, especially at this price.

neema_t
21-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Burnout Paradise is up, if you don't have it and you like arcade racing games, open world games or just crashing into shit, get it. It's a shame the PC never got the Big Surf Island DLC but there's a lot of game there for 2.

Tritagonist
21-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Burnout Paradise is up, if you don't have it and you like arcade racing games, open world games or just crashing into shit, get it.
I second this recommendation. Burnout Paradise is good fun.

Smashbox
21-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Thirded, if you haven't played it, you're in for a treat.

TheDreamlord
21-07-2012, 12:18 AM
I bought Driver San Francisco and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit in this sale, so I think I'll skip Burnout Paradise. Too.Many.Games!

thegooseking
21-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Burnout Paradise is like a massive skate park, but for cars. And that's a good thing.

Protoman
21-07-2012, 12:20 AM
It certainly is - tbh I found the actual combat to be utterly shit, but it is VERY novel.
I found the melee combat excellent, but the sections where it forces you to shoot were just awkward. The gunplay is terrible.

Ravelle
21-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Burnout Paradise is like a massive skate park, but for cars. And that's a good thing.

I have it for PS3, the game is great if you like crashing instead of driving.

Mistabashi
21-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Burnout Paradise is indeed great fun, albeit fairly repetetive. I keep it installed as it's a great game to drop into every now and again just to mess around for a bit.

TheDreamlord
21-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Ok, two days to go. One more game and I am on an even 20 tally..... No life till xmas!

Sketch
21-07-2012, 12:54 AM
How many more games can there be where I think "oooh, for that price I'll definitely play that!"!? I have got to stop.

Finicky
21-07-2012, 12:55 AM
The physics (and scale) of Guerrilla remain very impressive.
Got any video of the physics and scale? I played through the first 2 zones (a few hours in) and didn't see much of either.

You just blow up the same few little guard houses, walkways, garrisons, windmills and gas canisters over and over again, with maybe 2 bigger structures in those 2 zones combined. The areas themselves are mostly just consist of walls/mountains, rocks and very few roads connecting each little 'quest/activity hub'. You really can't compare it to say gta: SA, just cause 2 or saint's row 3, in open world ness and freedom.

It felt like both a poor man's gta and a poor man's red faction to me and I was bored throughout most of it (the 2 bigger structures aside) so I gave up.
Especially the cover mechanics and shooting are so frigging bad (I'm allergic to cover shooters, and yes you do take a shitload of damage so you have to use it no matter how fast your aim is with the incessant stream of enemy spawns)

If it somehow gets better (way WAY WAY better) in the third zone i'd love to see it.

From the 5 hours I've played of armageddon, the destruction is way better there with lots of huge structures to topple.
The powers made it a lot less akward too play too (no more cover mechanics, impact power for if you want to just blow a hole in a wall/some debri to get through instead of having to switch to the hammer, hit it once, switch back, slow animations included)

The game also got rid of the stupid filling bars to unlock weaps (yes it's the same thing if you have to buy them with the stupid scrap that is a chore to pick up and mine) and just gives them to you like in every other good shooter ever , after the same amount of time spent in armageddon I had way more and way more satisfying to use toys than I had in guerilla.

The JG Man
21-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Thirded, if you haven't played it, you're in for a treat.

Fourdededed! Fantastic racing game with great control, good setting and fun vehicles.

How many more games can there be where I think "oooh, for that price I'll definitely play that!"!? I have got to stop.

More than what's left in the final daily sale because you'll buy those games that weren't on a daily sale at the end.

As for current sales, my probably pointless thoughts:
Crysis/Warhead are great open FPS. Despite the majority, I actually found Crysis incredibly enjoyable throughout, including the ending run where the set-pieces were engaging and entertaining. Warhead keeps the focus up. Recommended.
F.E.A.R./2 has some of the best gun-play in any FPS I've had to play. Whilst I would say the second isn't quite as enjoyable as the first, although making up for it by looking leagues better, the shotgun in the first game is reason enough to buy it. A.K.A. Chunky Gibs: The Game.

gundato
21-07-2012, 02:46 AM
Got any video of the physics and scale? I played through the first 2 zones (a few hours in) and didn't see much of either.

You just blow up the same few little guard houses, walkways, garrisons, windmills and gas canisters over and over again, with maybe 2 bigger structures in those 2 zones combined. The areas themselves are mostly just consist of walls/mountains, rocks and very few roads connecting each little 'quest/activity hub'. You really can't compare it to say gta: SA, just cause 2 or saint's row 3, in open world ness and freedom.

It felt like both a poor man's gta and a poor man's red faction to me and I was bored throughout most of it (the 2 bigger structures aside) so I gave up.
Especially the cover mechanics and shooting are so frigging bad (I'm allergic to cover shooters, and yes you do take a shitload of damage so you have to use it no matter how fast your aim is with the incessant stream of enemy spawns)

If it somehow gets better (way WAY WAY better) in the third zone i'd love to see it.

From the 5 hours I've played of armageddon, the destruction is way better there with lots of huge structures to topple.
The powers made it a lot less akward too play too (no more cover mechanics, impact power for if you want to just blow a hole in a wall/some debri to get through instead of having to switch to the hammer, hit it once, switch back, slow animations included)

The game also got rid of the stupid filling bars to unlock weaps (yes it's the same thing if you have to buy them with the stupid scrap that is a chore to pick up and mine) and just gives them to you like in every other good shooter ever , after the same amount of time spent in armageddon I had way more and way more satisfying to use toys than I had in guerilla.

Did we play the same Guerilla? Guerilla had actual buildings to destroy. Armageddon has the same machinery over and over, outside of the first level (which was a real tease for Guerilla fans).

And the hammer was half the fun. How FUN is it to take out an entire enemy military base with some mining charges and a freaking sledgehammer.

field_studies
21-07-2012, 02:47 AM
Burnout Paradise is indeed great fun, albeit fairly repetetive. I keep it installed as it's a great game to drop into every now and again just to mess around for a bit.

Repetitive... that's the part that turned me off. I love arcade racers, but I'd recommend Flatout 1&2, Driver:SF, NFS: Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit, Dirt 2 and GRID above Burnout Paradise. The map was just so tiny and, I think, badly designed. I dreaded every race (and it was half of them, I think) that required I drive anywhere in the western half of the map, as there were only one or two routes in general... the same stretch of highway again and again. And then again to get back to town. I know it's really popular around here, though. Was I missing something?

johnki
21-07-2012, 02:48 AM
Repetitive... that's the part that turned me off. I love arcade racers, but I'd recommend Flatout 1&2, Driver:SF, NFS: Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit, Dirt 2 and GRID above Burnout Paradise. The map was just so tiny and, I think, badly designed. I dreaded every race (and it was half of them, I think) that required I drive anywhere in the western half of the map, as there were only one or two routes in general... the same stretch of highway again and again. And then again to get back to town. I know it's really popular around here, though. Was I missing something?
Is Burnout Paradise better than Burnout 3 or Burnout Revenge? I loved those games. The competitive crashing competitions were hilarious fun.

Rauten
21-07-2012, 02:58 AM
Burnout Paradise is much, much worse than Revenge. Far more repetitive, there were less racing modes IIRC. They took away the Crash and Traffic check modes if memory serves; in exchange you can "activate" something akin to crash mode but the control you have over your car while it's crashing is so big, it kinda misses the point. Plus, it also means no carefully designed crashes to beat as a puzzle.

So yeah, if you go in expecting an upgrade over Revenge, you'll be disappointed.

alms
21-07-2012, 02:58 AM

Having successfully controlled myself today, I feel like I deserve a reward! :3 let's just browse a bit, shall we?

johnki
21-07-2012, 03:01 AM
Burnout Paradise is much, much worse than Revenge. Far more repetitive, there were less racing modes IIRC. They took away the Crash and Traffic check modes if memory serves; in exchange you can "activate" something akin to crash mode but the control you have over your car while it's crashing is so big, it kinda misses the point. Plus, it also means no carefully designed crashes to beat as a puzzle.

So yeah, if you go in expecting an upgrade over Revenge, you'll be disappointed.
NOOOOOOOOO! But...but...the pretty graphics.

Oh well, I should have assumed it would be too good to be true.

field_studies
21-07-2012, 03:13 AM
Having successfully controlled myself today, I feel like I deserve a reward! :3 let's just browse a bit, shall we?

I've got a little "maybe at the end of the sale" list going for just that purpose:

World in Conflict $6.69
PixelJunk Eden $2.00
X-Com UFO defense $2.50
Kohan 2 $2.50
The Ship $5.00

...though I haven't 'deserved a reward' yet this sale.

sabrage
21-07-2012, 03:21 AM
Paradise can't hold a candle to Revenge. It even brings back the unbelievably annoying radio announcer from 3.

Mistabashi
21-07-2012, 03:26 AM
Is Burnout Paradise better than Burnout 3 or Burnout Revenge? I loved those games. The competitive crashing competitions were hilarious fun.

Paradise is nothing like the previous Burnout games in that it's not a straight racing game with a bunch of different tracks, it's a big city with checkpoints at every junction that you can use to trigger race events (whether they be actual races, stunt challenges or straight survival against a load of re-spawning enemy vehicles who try to run you off the road). It's great fun as long as you can get over the fact that the races aren't 'crafted', they're just "get from here to there" within a big city map. It's GTA meets arcade racer, and it has a lot of frustrations and repetition but it's good crashy arcade racing fun, and for 2 it's something that's well worth sitting in your library even if you just fire it up every now and agian for half an hour of dicking about.

It's not a racing game, but it is fun :)

Fumarole
21-07-2012, 03:33 AM
So, Driver is good, yeah? $7.50 worth of good?

vinraith
21-07-2012, 03:33 AM
Paradise can't hold a candle to Revenge. It even brings back the unbelievably annoying radio announcer from 3.

Revenge sucked, 3 was the best entry the series ever saw. Traffic checking? Seriously? What the hell was that?

sabrage
21-07-2012, 03:42 AM
I can't remain objective about Burnout 3 after listening to DJ Stryker tell me about his thong a thousand times.

Rauten
21-07-2012, 03:47 AM
So, Driver is good, yeah? $7.50 worth of good?

Well, the UbiDRM is throwing a fit currently causing constant stutter; seems the ridiculous influx of new players pretty much fried the servers, and now every single mother fucking time the game tries to contact the servers, it causes a 1-2 second stutter.

Other than that? I just bought today and oh dear god, yes.

How to explain it... I just took control of a scared teen going through a driving class; the teach is pretty much telling you what a failure you are. Then your character takes control and scares the living shit out of the instructor with drifts, jumps, near misses, overtakes and high speed driving, forcing him to give the poor teen a yummy nice discount.

And the OST is freaking awesome.

Keep in mind though, it's as arcade as it gets.

Finicky
21-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Since we are talking about driver SF... anyone figure out how to make force feedback work with the game? (driving force GT)
I changed the name of the input folder to make my driving force GT work with the game (buttons, steering, rumble, pedals all work) but the force feedback still doesn't work.

Rauten
21-07-2012, 04:52 AM
Oh my; Oh dear god, oh my.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is 75% off. Anyone who doesn't already own it should buy it RIGHT NOW.

Yes, it's bug-ridden to the point it feels like a Bethesda game. Yes, the graphics are terribly outdated and it isn't aging terribly well in some areas, it was, after all, the very first source game. It's still mind-blowingly awesome and one of the best games I've ever played.

BUY IT. NOW.

Oshada
21-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Driver SF is totally worth it, just waiting for one of my US friends to get it for me :)

Heliocentric
21-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Well, the UbiDRM is throwing a fit currently causing constant stutter; seems the ridiculous influx of new players pretty much fried the servers, and now every single mother fucking time the game tries to contact the servers, it causes a 1-2 second stutter.
Use offline mode.

Drake Sigar
21-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Oh my; Oh dear god, oh my.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines is 75% off. Anyone who doesn't already own it should buy it RIGHT NOW.

Yes, it's bug-ridden to the point it feels like a Bethesda game. Yes, the graphics are terribly outdated and it isn't aging terribly well in some areas, it was, after all, the very first source game. It's still mind-blowingly awesome and one of the best games I've ever played.

BUY IT. NOW. I think we converted everyone on this forum long ago.

Juan Carlo
21-07-2012, 09:21 AM
What do people think of Kohan?

They are pretty cheap right now.

Tritagonist
21-07-2012, 09:31 AM
I've never played Kohan, but enjoyed listening to the Three Moves Ahead podcast about it (podcast (http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2012/05/26/three-moves-ahead-episode-170-classic-game-analysis-kohan/) / discussion (http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/7816-three-moves-ahead-episode-170-classic-game-analysis-kohan/)). I think this is one of those 'if interested in the genre' kind of games, as it seems to take a slightly different approach to other RTS games of its day.

Doodier
21-07-2012, 09:42 AM
I think we converted everyone on this forum long ago.
Not really :) I played it some 5 or 4 years ago and I just couldn't force myself to like it. I really wanted to, because I was playing a lot of Morrowind at that time and everyone said it is much, much better RPG than that but still.. I've played it only for an hour or so and then never went back to it.

Anthile
21-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Well, it's about time to give it another try then. It's really more Deus Ex than a traditional RPG.

neema_t
21-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I've got a little "maybe at the end of the sale" list going for just that purpose:

The Ship $5.00

...though I haven't 'deserved a reward' yet this sale.

I have a copy of The Ship I could trade if you're interested? It's one of the twin packs from that Indie Bundle so you get a copy to gift to someone else with it. Add me on Steam if you want to negotiate?

Since we are talking about driver SF... anyone figure out how to make force feedback work with the game? (driving force GT)
I changed the name of the input folder to make my driving force GT work with the game (buttons, steering, rumble, pedals all work) but the force feedback still doesn't work.

I don't think there is force feedback, I've been using it with my G27 and it's just totally dead, the best you can do is set Logitech Profiler to auto-centre the wheel so you don't have to do that manually. If I recall correctly the game didn't have any wheel support at first (and still doesn't on consoles) so it was patched in after launch, as such it's not hugely surprising it doesn't have FFB.

The JG Man
21-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Bulletstorm is a flash sale for the next few hours...eh, I'm not going to recommend it, but at the same time I don't think it's a bad game. The gun-play is mostly satisfying, but the game gets too bogged down in its skill-shot reward system that it becomes a little bit unwieldy and even repetitive. That being said, the dialogue is good fun and some of the set-pieces are great. Does use GFWL to a degree, but you can turn it off, if you want, at the price of not being able to play its multiplayer.

Giaddon
21-07-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm definitley going to recommend it! Great game.

Giaddon
21-07-2012, 12:10 PM

Classic strategy games. By my reckoning, the first of the "slow" RTSes, by my reckoning, though I'm willing to be proven wrong. Five bucks for all the games is a good deal, but if you're not playing for the story, note that Ahriman's Gift totally replaces Immortal Sovereigns.

TheDreamlord
21-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Bulletstorm is a flash sale for the next few hours...eh, I'm not going to recommend it, but at the same time I don't think it's a bad game. The gun-play is mostly satisfying, but the game gets too bogged down in its skill-shot reward system that it becomes a little bit unwieldy and even repetitive. That being said, the dialogue is good fun and some of the set-pieces are great. Does use GFWL to a degree, but you can turn it off, if you want, at the price of not being able to play its multiplayer.

Bulletstorm is a good game and for that price it's a no brainer.

sabrage
21-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Put me in the "Don't buy Bulletstorm" camp. Such a brilliant concept, bogged down by the lack of any free-form combo system.

RobC
21-07-2012, 01:29 PM

I have mixed feelings about it. The thing that bothers me is that when you group some units together, they don't move at the pace of the slowest unit. This means that your fast archers may outpace your front line melee units and get exposed to an attack. Other than that flaw I think it is good. Line of sight, terrain bonuses and unit travel formations (line, column, etc) give some interesting things to think about.

Mistabashi
21-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Well, I bought Driver:San Francisco when it was going cheap and boy am I regretting it. First of all, the terrible Uplay DRM caused the game to pause every few seconds even in offline mode (only way to fix it was to disconnect from the internet). When I manage to get into the game without freezing I'm confronted with PS2 era graphics (excluding the cutscene faces) and floaty vehicle handling that's reminiscent of the original PS1 Driver game (eg shite). Not impressed at all, it's going straight onto my imaginary shit pile where I will imagine it going up in imaginary flames along with the real money I spent on it. Boo.

DragonOfTime
21-07-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm just hoping for Warlock as community choice, as I missed it when it was flash.

rockpaperjohn
21-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Any reccomendations on whether I should buy Civ IV over Civ V? I haven't played the series since the third.

Sketch
21-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Civ IV complete is an amazing deal, and is worth getting. Civ V is excellent though.