PDA

View Full Version : The Steam 2012 Summer Sale anticipation thread - Because it is Inevitable

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Heliocentric
10-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Come on, lets admit it, its one of the biggest sociological events in PC Gaming.
Sure, the summer sale often feels pretty limp compared to the unregulated insanity of the christmas one, but its usually got some epic in it, what sales are you actually waiting on to buy things?

Me?
Roughly listed in order of high steam base price vs my memory.

ARMA II: Combined Operations

Okay, DayZ has violently dropped the likelihood of this, but still, I can hope.

Assassin's Creed Revelations - Gold Edition

Honestly, the RRP is £35, so we'd need an insane discount to get it down to my impulse buy for these incremental titles, but i genuinely enjoyed the games sofar, warts and all.

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition

What I actually want is the DLC but I'm sure they'll go hand in hand, I only grabbed one pack(old world blues) and now I desperately regret it.

Fable 3

Don't get me wrong, I know this is probably as bad as they say, but I enjoyed Fable 1 a great deal

Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising

I know I can probably get it cheap in a shop, but I don't go to those places any more, the original campaign sucked my in hopelessly, and Retribution bored me except during the Ork cut scenes, but apparently this is a goody.

Resident Evil 5

We are taking pennies here, Resident evil 4 pissed me off something fierce, but youtube videos of 5 look wonderful.

Sketch
10-06-2012, 10:53 PM
I'd like a sale on X3, simply because I want to try it, but can't justify spending much money on it, if it's as hard to get into as they say and I bounce right off it.

That said, Fable 3 isn't really bad, it just doesn't excel in any way, except the Stephen Fry department.

westyfield
10-06-2012, 10:54 PM
DLC for Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Borderlands.
Arkham City.

That's about it - most of the games I want to play I either already own and just haven't had time to play, or are not available for pre-order yet.

Althea
10-06-2012, 10:55 PM
No, Fable 3 truly is as bad as they say. Well, there's potential there but it's never realised. And it's a shit port full of (for me, anyway) graphics issues. I'm not joking when I say putting your money into it is a complete waste of time.

I'll be looking out for:
Aquaria
M&M: Clash of Heroes
Alternativa
The Bard's Tale
LEGO Star Wars 3/Batman (Maybe on both counts)
Kingdoms of Amablergh (Maybe)
Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Tom Cuhlancey's Rainbow Six Vegas (Maybe)
Civ V DLC (Maybe)
Ticket to Ride
Any other adventure games.

DzX
10-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Besides any DLC for Total War: Shogun 2 [I like to have the 'complete' game] I'm looking for price drops on:

Kingdom's of Amalur : Reckoning [and DLC]

I hope this one doesn't get taken down from Steam [as has been rumoured]; it looks fun, and despite having a range of RPG's I need to finish [Divinty 2 : TDKS and Fallout:NV chiefly] I'd drop them both to begin playing a darker Fable-like.

Batman : Arkham City

I enjoyed Asylum a fair amount; in fact it pulled me out of a phase in which I started a large number of games, played them for an hour and discarded them because they couldn't hold my interest so it clearly did something right. I've heard mixed reports on the sequel and thus am waiting for a decent sale. [Fable 3, which admittedly I was double dipping on was among that aforementioned group].

Binary Domain

Looks incredibly unrefined and derivative. However I hear it's an interesting game that, gimmicks aside, offers a range of strong TPS mechanics and tells a cohesive story. More than enough for me given the weak range of TPS on PC.

Sengoku

Crusador Kings 2 is fantastic; I'd be happy with a less refined, combat focused version that allows for a quicker pace.

Anthile
10-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Nothing specific, really. I already own all the games thanks to previous sales.

alset85
10-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Red Orchestra 2 if the player base has truly recovered after the last free weekend. I made a judgement call and didn't buy it then.

DevinSmoth
10-06-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm looking for the following games, and hopefully nothing else!

ARMA2
Street Fighter IV Arcade
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Scary Girl
RUSE
Rayman Origins
Vessel
Blades of Time (?)
Wargame: EE

Hopefully I can keep my list of actual purchases down this year.

Edlennion
10-06-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm looking for War in the North and Vessel.

But, since I know I'll probably buy loads of other stuff I'm not looking for, I think I'm going to set aside some money and allow myself to spend up to that amount but not a penny more, and see what I end up with. Hopefully, this will prevent me from buying everything that looks like good value, and I might end up with some games that I hadn't thought to buy but turn out awesome.

Sketch
10-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Red Orchestra 2 if the player base has truly recovered after the last free weekend. I made a judgement call and didn't buy it then.

If you want a guest pass to try it out, let me know. (I have 3 if anyone's interested)

byteCrunch
10-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Rayman: Origins.
New Vegas DLC.
Stacking.

Not alot really, too much on my Steam account as it is.

On the RO2 front, it's certainly is alot better, pulling 2 to 4 times what is was, don't ever expect huge numbers, RO2 isn't for everyone.

somini
10-06-2012, 11:20 PM
I also expect Binary Domain and any LEGO game. And Deus Ex and Assassin's Creed DLC.
My backlog is so enormous that I don't think I will be spending much money. At least that's what I hope for...

Giaddon
10-06-2012, 11:37 PM
I saw a couple War in North's mentioned, so I thought I'd point out that it is currently $10 on Gamefly (http://www.gamefly.com/Download-The-Lord-of-the-Rings-War-in-the-North/5000240/) and is Steamworks. North America only, though.

I'm hoping for Max Payne 3 ~$30, and the Game of Thrones RPG to be $25. That's about it, I think.

DevinSmoth
10-06-2012, 11:40 PM
From what I've seen... I'm not sure that I'd recommend anyone to buy anything from Gamefly... just check it out thoroughly before purchasing, that's all I'm saying.

Rauten
10-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Off the top of my head:

-The Ys games
-Lone Survivor (cba picking up HIB5 when I have every single other game)
-Legend of Grimrock
-Isaac DLC
-Jagged Alliance 2 Gold ( I blame you all for this one)
-Civ 5 Gods and Kings (highly unlikely, but one can dream!)

Raaritsgozilla
10-06-2012, 11:51 PM
I did not enjoy X3. Nope no sir, not at all

The JG Man
10-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Crysis 2 and Sonic 4: Episode 2 are the only games I have interest in. I have a large backlog that I don't want to add to by a substantial amount and with Crysis 2, it's so I can keep up with the story, whilst with S4E2 it's because it got decent enough reviews that it might be nice to have a new 2D Sonic. Fingers not entirely crossed for either unless they're down to a satisfactory price.

Regardless, as standard, I present the Steam sale rules:

1. Only buy games you actually think you're going to play. Buying a game just because it is 80% off is a waste of money if you never spent it. That's 20% of a base cost that you've wasted and could go towards something later on.
2. Wait for a game to be a daily deal, where it is further discounted, before picking it up. Most games will be on sale anyhow, so you have plenty of time to pick them up. If a game you want isn't a daily deal, wait until the final day of the sale to pick it up.
3. Check your friendly local e-retailer, such as Amazon, because they are getting far more competitive when it comes to Steam. Sometimes buying from them might be cheaper.

vinraith
11-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Hmm. Things I'd like to see would be:

Wargame: European Escalation (is this Steamworks, like RUSE?)
The R6 Vegas games
the Kohan games

Which of those I'd actually buy is an open question, considering my backlog.

Labbes
11-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed for Rayman Origins as well as Trine 2. Can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'm quite sure there will be other tempting offers. I don't think I'll be able to resist another Geneforge discount, for instance.

Abacus Finch
11-06-2012, 12:17 AM
If you liked Fable 1 then you have even more reason to avoid the 3rd installment in the franchise.

vinraith
11-06-2012, 12:20 AM
If you liked Fable 1 then you have even more reason to avoid the 3rd installment in the franchise.

A friend of mine has it in his head it'd make a good co-op game. I've no idea if he's right or not, but I'm certainly not inclined to pay much for it. I thought Fable 1 was decidedly mediocre.

Serenegoose
11-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Sengoku

Crusador Kings 2 is fantastic; I'd be happy with a less refined, combat focused version that allows for a quicker pace.

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SENGOKU/sengoku

It really won't get any cheaper than that, in my opinion!

Fumarole
11-06-2012, 12:40 AM
I've got plenty of games to last me through Christmas and beyond, but if any of the following are deeply discounted I'll pick them up.

Skyrim
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
Sengoku
Dead Rising 2
Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai

vinraith
11-06-2012, 12:47 AM
http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SENGOKU/sengoku

It really won't get any cheaper than that, in my opinion!

Good point. That deal ends tonight (3am eastern US) so anyone interested had better grab it quickly. It'll be no cheaper on Steam, I'm sure.

pakoito
11-06-2012, 01:11 AM
I need Civ IV, SFxT if it's DIRT CHEAP, Torchlight 2, Crusader Kings 2, Skyrim for 10$, maybe Rome:Total War.

deano2099
11-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Alternativa

It's so horrid I wouldn't bother. And I play a lot of shit adventure games, this one managed to annoy the hell out of me.

Hoping to pick up Kohan 1/2 myself.

RobF
11-06-2012, 01:35 AM
Fable III is alright. It's a Fable game so you know pretty much what to expect from it and it rarely deviates from that course.

It comes with some baggage, I was forced to restart innumerable hours into it after GFWL kindly nuked my savegame for me. Thanks GFWL, Thgfwl. The integration goes pretty deep into the game too, even down to the text input seemingly being handled by it. It's not smart and because of this alone, I wouldn't consider anything close to full price. It won't just be a case of slight DRM circumvention if MS flick the killswitch on GFWL.

It's very needy. Not in resources, but in a LOOK AT ME sense. It's prompts, prompts and more prompts. Take your hand off the controller for a few seconds to grab a screenshot and admire the prompts that appear because you took your hand off the controller. It's just about every worse case scenario you can think of for confusing accessibility with telling the player precisely what to do. It's suffocating.

But aside from the last segment of the game being the most bizarre WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? addition to any game in quite a few years and the above, it still is what it sets out to be. A Sunday afternoon game with a bit of light knock around "oh hey, we're so British tip tip what ho" humour in which you hit things a few times. It's not deep, it's not profound but it's not really hateful either. If anything its worst crime *is* sitting on the fence and playing it safe. It's comfort gaming, really and I find it really hard to get worked up about it or to despise it. I enjoyed it and it passed some time. Can't ask for much more.

Except for no GFWL ever ever ever but I'd hope that's a given.

vinraith
11-06-2012, 01:53 AM
Folks listing Torchlight 2 and Sins: Rebellion are extremely optimistic. The former is unlikely to have even been released by the time the sale comes around, the latter will be brand new. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't turn down a discount on either, but I think it's extraordinarily unlikely.

Tikey
11-06-2012, 02:04 AM
I actually want the latest Bond game. It's probably crap, but it's bond. Still I'm not going to pay more than 10$ for it.

nsane
11-06-2012, 02:14 AM
I'll get Skyrim, Fallout: NV DLC, Crusader Kings II and Portal 2, mainly. Maybe other ones here and there...

If reviews are cool, I'll try getting Ghost Recon Future Soldier.

squareking
11-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Nothing.

I have a massive backlog of fun games. There's not much out there I desperately need right now.

Though, to play along, I'd be happy with these at a deep discount:

Endless Space
Skyrim

thegooseking
11-06-2012, 02:21 AM
If Front Mission Evolved is really cheap I will buy it. I actually already have it on Xbox 360, but I hope to enjoy it more on PC, as I have with other games I own on both platforms, and especially since I really don't play Xbox much any more. It has elements of two games I'd like to see - a spiritual successor to Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, and a proper Front Mission game on PC - but frustratingly sits between those two chairs and doesn't nearly live up to either.

soldant
11-06-2012, 03:06 AM
Fable 3 was bad. Real bad. Anything you do or don't do leads to a win.

Personally I'm staying away from most things this time around. Last two sales I purchased a boatload of indie games that I never play. I've got pretty much everything I want.

Battle Programmer Spike
11-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Lets see... I want:

Rayman Origins
Total War: Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai (and maybe some of the previous DLC I'm missing)
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
Street Fighter X Tekken
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
Trine 2, maybe. Not in a hurry.
Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga
Men of War (All three WWII games/expansions)

And then there is the ocassional oddity in my wishlist that I might grab, or might not, depending on the money I have left on the last day of the sales :P. Or something I fot that I might see on sale and insta-buy.
org

gwathdring
11-06-2012, 03:32 AM
I would love to, but I'm on a no-new-games-until-you've-at-least-tried-all-the-old-ones things this year. I got really into tabletop gaming over the past couple of years so I dropped most of my discretionary funds into board and roll-playing games. Video games are going to have to wait. I'm gearing up to run a weekly string of RPG one-shots (Dresden, a game of Supernatural horror and the Canadian Mounties that fight it using the Mistborn Adventure Game's dice pool system because it worked when I tried it), long-form board games (Descent, Arkham Horror, a Space Alert/Galaxy Trucker mash-up campaign thing my friends liked and agreed to playtest for me) and oddball story games like Ghost/Echo, Fiasco, and Microscope. I've invested in a lot of interesting rulebooks, a bunch of dice, counters, and prints from the copy store instead.

Have fun though! I'm sure I'll be sorely tempted to break protocol during the sale. Once video games are eligible for purchase again, I'm really hoping to pick up a driving game (eying Burnout Paradise and Blur), Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, and Legend of Grimrock. Possibly The Witcher 2, but I'd rather get it at full price even if the price point means waiting until I can afford all the board games from higher up on my wishlist.

Juan Carlo
11-06-2012, 03:58 AM
I really want "You Don't Know Jack." Hopefully it will hit the 5 to 10 dollar range.

Otherwise, I don't have any must buys. I'll probably get Arkham City, AC:Revelations, and Grimrock, but only if they hit the 66%-75% off range. I'm in no rush, though. I can wait until Christmas.

Oshada
11-06-2012, 05:44 AM
AssRev Gold is probably the only one I want. I played it through with a friend but I want to play it myself, even though there were a touch too many Masyaf levels.

BOTA:49
11-06-2012, 05:54 AM
I'm hoping for at least some sort of discount on Max Payne 3 (I refuse to drop $60 on a game that I doubt I'll play more than 10-12 hours altogether since I'm not a fan of MP in those types of games), Arkham City (since I loved the first game, even at the current $30 I've been tempted), but other than that I'm looking forward to things that won't be on a sale until next year and that I'll probably end up buying on release anyway.

Hypernetic
11-06-2012, 06:45 AM
I think the only game I'll actually be looking for is Saints Row 3, I know it was just on sale recently but I had just picked up Max Payne and decided to wait until it went on sale again.

Other than that I'm pretty go with the flow with these steam sales, I just check out what's on sale each day and buy stuff that I want.

Steam sales are also a good opportunity to add a game you might own on disc to your digital library as well, I've gotten quite a few games for under $5 that I already owned just for the convenience of having them on steam.

goatmonkey
11-06-2012, 07:15 AM
LA Noir, Ass Rev, Arma 2 Cops are the most striking things from my wishlist.

Hypernetic
11-06-2012, 07:19 AM
LA Noir, Ass Rev, Arma 2 Cops are the most striking things from my wishlist.

Ass Rev you say? hot.

Space Indaver
11-06-2012, 08:05 AM
If L4D2 drops to $5, I'll finally get that. I probably won't play more than 4 hours of it, so I haven't jumped on it yet.

I'll be getting Skyrim as well if the price goes to $20, purely for the Steamworks stuff.

I'll probably buy about half of the games that go below $3, just because I'm a cheap filthy bastard.

tjv
11-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Only thing I would be interested is the Arma2 addon/thingies. Got already Arma2 and OA. Getting those extra addons would give higher textures for DayZ.

Flint
11-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Skyrim and Saints Row 3 are the big grabs I'm looking out for this year. One or the other really, probably not getting both. Trine 2 is on the lookout as well and might get something from the fringe parts of my Steam wishlist and possibly some DLC if any of it really grabs my attention with its price. Other than that, not really planning on spending much.

NathanH
11-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Not much on my wishlist at the moment: Might and Magic Clash of Heroes, Hegemony Gold, various Avernums. Also I will be on the lookout for old games on sale, but nothing in particular in mind there, let's just see what comes up.

Althea
11-06-2012, 09:06 AM
I saw a couple War in North's mentioned, so I thought I'd point out that it is currently $10 on Gamefly (http://www.gamefly.com/Download-The-Lord-of-the-Rings-War-in-the-North/5000240/) and is Steamworks. North America only, though.
It's £7.50 in the UK on Gamefly UK.

But the important distinction is I have no money right now ;)

BenWah
11-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Over 30 items on my wishlist, and there's nothing I'm very enthusiastic about buying.
I don't want most of it anymore. Needs updating.

Having a lot of fun with Dead Island right now. (I'm always late to the party)
I heard the DLC was crap so I'll skip it.

Want to get back into playing Crusader kings II soon

Scumbag
11-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Legend of Grimrock.
I know I'll more then likely enjoy it, just a little cautious with throwing money about atm.

Was also thinking of Batman AC, but until the GOTY version comes out I'll feel like I'm only getting half the package.

airtekh
11-06-2012, 11:13 AM
If Skyrim or Witcher 2 get discounted then I might investigate them. That depends on how much the discount is though.

I'm kind of OK for games at the moment though, since I've got some in my backlog and I've pre-ordered both Quantum Conundrum and Magic DOTP 2013, but I'll see what crops up.

Juan Carlo
11-06-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm lukewarm on Grimrock. I want it. But at the same time I've never really like Dungeon Master type games. They just bore me. Still, it seems like something I should get.

For some reason I imagine it will be in a future Humble Bundle, though. It seems like the sort of successful game that would be (kind of odd that HIB only tends to get games that have already sold really well).

I also want Crusader Kings 2, but I bought "Knights of Honor" over the Christmas sale and I've yet to play that. So it seems like I should play that one first before buying CK2.

somini
11-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Fable III is alright. It's a Fable game so you know pretty much what to expect from it and it rarely deviates from that course.

It comes with some baggage, I was forced to restart innumerable hours into it after GFWL kindly nuked my savegame for me. Thanks GFWL, Thgfwl. The integration goes pretty deep into the game too, even down to the text input seemingly being handled by it. It's not smart and because of this alone, I wouldn't consider anything close to full price. It won't just be a case of slight DRM circumvention if MS flick the killswitch on GFWL.

It's very needy. Not in resources, but in a LOOK AT ME sense. It's prompts, prompts and more prompts. Take your hand off the controller for a few seconds to grab a screenshot and admire the prompts that appear because you took your hand off the controller. It's just about every worse case scenario you can think of for confusing accessibility with telling the player precisely what to do. It's suffocating.

But aside from the last segment of the game being the most bizarre WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? addition to any game in quite a few years and the above, it still is what it sets out to be. A Sunday afternoon game with a bit of light knock around "oh hey, we're so British tip tip what ho" humour in which you hit things a few times. It's not deep, it's not profound but it's not really hateful either. If anything its worst crime *is* sitting on the fence and playing it safe. It's comfort gaming, really and I find it really hard to get worked up about it or to despise it. I enjoyed it and it passed some time. Can't ask for much more.

Except for no GFWL ever ever ever but I'd hope that's a given.
http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/current/fable3-xlive.7z
Fable 3 GFWL remover, save game unencryptor, etc etc. A bit late to the party...
This guy also made something similar for Bioshock 2, it's in his page (http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/current/fable3-xlive.7z).
I will only buy GFWL games if xliveless or something is available.

amusingthebrood
11-06-2012, 12:45 PM
I've been planning for the summer sale carefully. I can get over excited and carried away, so with a little forethought I hope I will avoid spending too much money and ending up with too many games I'll never really play.

So, games that I will probably buy: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Generations

Games that I might buy: Titan Attacks, Serious Sam 2

Games that I might buy to play co-op with my wife: Lara Croft: GotL, Trine 2

A slim possibility if they are cheap enough: Space Marine or LotR: WITN

Civ V was a probably, but I bought it in the recent weekend deal.

I am struggling to decide if I want to buy Crusader Kings II. I enjoyed the demo, but I have recently bought another time-eater in CiV and worry that I'd probably not play much of it at the moment. I think I shall probably resist and wait until Christmas.

Including CiV, I am hoping to come in at a little over £20 including one of the co-op games, and that should do me nicely.

Kamikaze-X
11-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Come on, lets admit it, its one of the biggest sociological events in PC Gaming.

sorry to be a Pedant, but this is nothing to do with being 'Sociological'.

Jams O'Donnell
11-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Hmm, let's see ...

AssBro
DoW2 Complete
Anno 2070
Witcher 2
Darkness 2
Alan Wake
Crysis 2
Saints Row 3 (or/and SR2)

Also, I had to change the thread title to make is a little clearer that the sale has not already started, because it keeps getting my hopes up.

Kadayi
11-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Albeit I'm technically not buying new games (though I've had my arm twisted to pre-order Borderlands II for co-op fun), I might use the sales to hoover up some DLC for existing titles, though what when and why really depends on what's on offer.

sk2k
11-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Just Crysis 2....and Risen....and Risen 2...and maybe some KoA:Reckoning DLCs.

Cooper
11-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Skyrim.
Though I'm still tempted just to wait until the expansions come out and there's a GOTY edition which I can then mod to my heart's content. Though I hear the base game is much more acceptable than Oblivion ever was.

SpaceMarine. Because it looks fun
Anno 2070. I'm willing to accept the online bullshit, but only for a low price.
Sonic Generations and / or Rayman: Origins

I'll also grab Rage if it's at a low price.

Velko
11-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Perhaps Anno 2070, if it's cheap enough.

Wargame: EE.

Max Payne 2. Yeah I know it's only ten euros at the moment, but... full price is full price.

And then, the shock & horror: Call of Duty 2 and CoD:MW or CODBLOPS! I have only ever played the first CoD, liked it pretty much (the SP campaign of course), and now I'd like to see what all the fuzz is about.

Oh yes, and also Saints Row 3.

Drake Sigar
11-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Only played Fable 3 for the 360, but the interface rendered it nearly unplayable. They keep insisting I transport to this convoluted base of operations to perform even the simplest of tasks (after about an hour of this I wanted to commit seppuku) the same button is used for a lot of different interactions (try to run in town and sometimes you'll accidently end up talking to someone in the painful conversation screen), changing emotes is all but impossible... basically, it throws convenience out the window for a half finished flashy interface which noone really thought about.

As for the quest content, there are some glimpses of genius in there. There's the Dungeons & Dragons bit, and when you meet the shadow thing and your trusted guy turns to you and you're like "shit shit shit shit, what's wrong with your eyes?!" or when you finally take the throne and find your brother actually had a pretty good reason for all the things he did, he was just being a bit of an ass about it.

In order to get those few precious moments you're gonna' have to wade through a river of crap first though.

Hirmetrium
11-06-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm gunning for:
- ArmA 2 (wanna try out Day Z)
- Sonic Generations
- Sonic 4:Ep 2 (if previous plan fails)

I strongly recommend
- Space Marine for mindless space mariney violence. Wait and see how cheap the DLC is too - that might swing it (no point playing multiplayer without it, and the multiplayer is really good).
- Saint's Row the Third was on sale recently. Picked it up, loving it. Worth it so far, especially on sale
- DOW2, if you enjoyed it or any of the titles.

I strongly advise:
- If you are missing a DOW2 game because you didn't like one of the titles in the series, don't bother getting the other. Only retribution has an active community, and its dwindling - the single player of vanilla + chaos rising is exactly the same, and retribution is an enjoyable but watery version of it.
- Due care with resident evil 5. I'm told if you didn't like 4, you might not like 5.
- Avoid Crysis 2. It's crap. Nothing like the original, boring story, boring slow campaign of go here shoot this. Space Marine has better multiplayer - and lots of people hate space marines multiplayer.

If anybody could recommend what to look out for, I'd appreciate it.

Heliocentric
11-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Okay, I'm sorry. I won't get fable 3. I'm just one of those people who enjoyed black and white (2 specifically) and can clearly tolerate "Molyneux's BS" for its fruits, but you've all reminded me of the great many usability issues.

*omni-sigh*

bonkers
11-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Oh god. I fear this day. I have abrout ~10-15 games in Steam I haven't played yet. And I know for a fact I will end buying games in the sale even though I have sworn to myself not to. I'm weak :(

Drake Sigar
11-06-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm just one of those people who enjoyed black and white (2 specifically)

(2 specifically)

(2 specifically)

*Punch*

Okay, I'm sorry. I won't get fable 3.
I wasn't jumping on you by the way. Fable 3 is one of those games which makes me feel compelled to butt in and voice my disappointment, warning others of it's perils. I usually love Lionhead's stuff, but that didn't help me here.

Heliocentric
11-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Also, I had to change the thread title to make is a little clearer that the sale has not already started, because it keeps getting my hopes up.
Fair enough.
The last word getting culled was annoyingly disruptive.

Heliocentric
11-06-2012, 03:48 PM

*Punch*
What's wrong with B&W2? It's a city builder with a tamagotchi, rather than a tamagotchi with city building?

I wasn't jumping on you by the way. Fable 3 is one of those games which makes me feel compelled to butt in and voice my disappointment, warning Lionhs of it's perils. I usually love Lionhead's stuff, but that didn't help me here.

I totally understand, I know the feeling

Rauten
11-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Reading the thread, I remembered I have to add another one: Divinity 2 DKS. This one is all Althea's fault.

db1331
11-06-2012, 04:00 PM
If you didn't like RE4, I don't know how you will like RE5. Unless you only played the bad PC port of 4, and that's why it pissed you off. The port of 5 itself is fine, but the game itself is pretty bad. I'm a huge RE fan, and I BARELY stomached through it. If you are playing with M+KB, it's nearly impossible to cover all the keys required to pass their QTEs, at least without shaping your hand into a deformed claw. At any moment you could be called upon to press A+D, Q+E, CTRL+V, or F+V, or whatever. On one boss I just gave up trying to dodge. Plus the AI is atrocious if you are playing SP, and the later part of the game basically turns into Gears of War, where you have to take cover behind crates and low walls as zombies shoot you with assault rifles.

Also, if you just want a survival horror fix, I would highly recommend the Dead Space games if you don't already own them. The first one is especially good. The sequel is good too, but they sadly are following in RE's footsteps and made the game more action-focused than survival horror.

As far as the games I am looking for in the Summer Sale, I would like to see a sale on the Lego franchise so I can pick up Batman, Star Wars, or Harry Potter. Maybe all. I would also probably pounce on a Rockstar bundle, with L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3, Bully, and all the GTAs.

Tritagonist
11-06-2012, 05:12 PM
I hope we'll see some good deals on the Fallout: New Vegas GOTY (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_New_Vegas), Binary Domain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_Domain), Might & Magic Heroes V (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_V) and VI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Might_%26_Magic_Heroes_VI), and perhaps even on Shift 2 Unleashed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_2_Unleashed). There's a few other games on my Steam wishlist, but those have all been released fairly recently so I doubt we'll see deep discounts on those.

I'll probably have to set a purchase limit. Last year's Summer and Christmas sale were tough on the budget.

Kodeen
11-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Reading the thread, I remembered I have to add another one: Divinity 2 DKS. This one is all Althea's fault.

Eh, I just hung that one up after about 23 hours. Surprisingly enough, after you get the ability to turn into a dragon the game gets rather same-y quickly.

Rauten
11-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Eh, I just hung that one up after about 23 hours. Surprisingly enough, after you get the ability to turn into a dragon the game gets rather same-y quickly.

I'm afraid that won't be enough to keep me from the game; once my curiosity has been piqued, it takes anti-recommendations of an apocalyptic level to make me reconsider. Still, my wallet thanks you for your goodwill.

Colonel J
11-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Not much here either. I have far far too much to keep me going into next year already and don't have much on my wishlist.

Will definitely grab Game of Thrones RPG as soon as it drops to £10 or below but my backlog is so rudely long I will wait until Christmas sale if need be. After all the ropey reviews this is one where the price will most likely freefall over the summer.

ditto Sniper Elite V2

Also wanting Krater though that's not even out yet and will no doubt turn up in a Humble Bundle before year end.

Ironic that many are now waiting for sale on Arma 2 / Combined Ops, it seemed to be on discount every month last year, I passed on Combined Ops several times in sales before I picked Arma 2 for free from GMG and then Op Arrowhead for a fiver from GG. Can't say I blame Bohemia for taking advantage now while they can though.

Tritagonist
11-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Will definitely grab Game of Thrones RPG as soon as it drops to £10 or below ...
Ah yes, that's a good one. Reading the reviews left me somewhat interested, but not quite enough to pay full price. I'll have to add that to my list!

RobF
11-06-2012, 06:34 PM
http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/current/fable3-xlive.7z
Fable 3 GFWL remover, save game unencryptor, etc etc. A bit late to the party...
This guy also made something similar for Bioshock 2, it's in his page (http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/current/fable3-xlive.7z).
I will only buy GFWL games if xliveless or something is available.

Oooh, amazing. Thank you.

Internet is wonderful!

TailSwallower
11-06-2012, 07:41 PM
I was intending to do NNGFAY, but Indie Bundles have broken my resolve. Still, I don't think I'll be buying much during the Summer Sale except for DLC for games I already own. Hopefully that will satisfy the inner consumer and leave the backlog relatively unscathed.

Althea
11-06-2012, 07:50 PM
It begins to flit between dragon sequences and foot battles once you get the ability (I've not played FoV, though), but I personally think it's worth pushing through just for the majority of the dialogue.

Vague-rant
11-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Okay, I'm sorry. I won't get fable 3. I'm just one of those people who enjoyed black and white (2 specifically) and can clearly tolerate "Molyneux's BS" for its fruits, but you've all reminded me of the great many usability issues.

Another Black and White 2 fan? Finally! Wolves are clearly the best pet, btw...

On topic, not really on the look out for anything specific, between diminishing gaming time and an aging computer. That being said, I'll keep an eye out for a casual time waster.

Kodeen
11-06-2012, 08:13 PM
It begins to flit between dragon sequences and foot battles once you get the ability (I've not played FoV, though), but I personally think it's worth pushing through just for the majority of the dialogue.

Yeah, but that second overworld map essentially becomes "fly to the dungeon, walk in the dungeon", unless that's what you meant. The sense of exploration from the first map is largely gone.

Althea
11-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Yeah, but that second overworld map essentially becomes "fly to the dungeon, walk in the dungeon", unless that's what you meant. The sense of exploration from the first map is largely gone.
Yes, it is, but at the same time it isn't. It's hard to explain and basically KIRILL POKROVSKY AND GOOD DIALOGUE IS WORTH IT WHAT WHAT.

Inverselaw
11-06-2012, 08:16 PM
I too blame Althea for wanting to play Divinity 2, There is a demo you can try on steam, I stopped playing it partway through because i didn't want to have to replay more bits when i finally buy it.

Also on the wishlist, Arma, speeeece murines! and Witcher 2

Heliocentric
11-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Wolves are clearly the best pet, btw...
Evil turtle with spikes, they call him evil just because he eats people, he's otherwise a saint. Healing the sick and such.

PeteC
Quite fancy Football Manager since the Euro's have got me in the mood and Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai.

Does Anno 2070 still have the 3 activation limit? If so I'll give it a miss but I do want it. Other than that there's not much as my backlog is huge.

somini
I really want "You Don't Know Jack." Hopefully it will hit the 5 to 10 dollar range.

Otherwise, I don't have any must buys. I'll probably get Arkham City, AC:Revelations, and Grimrock, but only if they hit the 66%-75% off range. I'm in no rush, though. I can wait until Christmas.
I would mind buying it too, but it's for Americans only. Maybe the questions are really easy?

Althea
11-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Does Anno 2070 still have the 3 activation limit? If so I'll give it a miss but I do want it. Other than that there's not much as my backlog is huge.
I could be wrong but I think it was loosened to five and to require bigger changes for re-activation.

Nalano
11-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I could be wrong but I think it was loosened to five and to require bigger changes for re-activation.

"Is Ubi still strangling customers with both hands?"

"I hear they may have reduced the total number of fingers wrapped around your throat."

Althea
11-06-2012, 08:28 PM
"Is Ubi still strangling customers with both hands?"

"I hear they may have reduced the total number of fingers wrapped around your throat."
And I think the activations reset.

Could still be wrong.

I do wish they'd frakking remove Tagés, though.

Rauten
11-06-2012, 09:14 PM
I do wish they'd frakking remove Tagés, though.

If they did, they'd have a sale right here.

Vague-rant
11-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Evil turtle with spikes, they call him evil just because he eats people, he's otherwise a saint. Healing the sick and such.

Bah, turtles only came in the expansion (for B&W2). Wolfy the Wolf defeated every other creature in hand to hand combat. He became the evil left hand of a benevolent god and crushed armies beneath his foot.

deano2099
12-06-2012, 12:13 AM
I would mind buying it too, but it's for Americans only. Maybe the questions are really easy?

Yeah that's annoying. And no online multiplayer on PC either.

NoodleFighter
12-06-2012, 12:36 AM
I was thinking of buying Nexuiz, and whatever else I have left to burn some cash on

Vandelay
12-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Hoping Skyrim will drop below £20, preferably £15.

What was the general consensus of it, now that some time has passed? I remember Oblivion getting a lot of hype and positive buzz at release, but that dwindled a few months later, which doesn't seem to have happened so much with Skyrim. Is it as good as everyone said in the first few weeks?

Don't really have any immediate desire for anything else, as I've bought pretty much everything I have wanted in previous sales. There might be the odd cheap thing I'll pick up though.

Hypernetic
12-06-2012, 01:00 AM
Skyrim is pretty amazing.

somini
12-06-2012, 02:28 AM
If they did, they'd have a sale right here.
I second that. Or should I say, "Yo Secundo isso".

Beyond Good and Evil is an Ubi IP, I regret nothing.

Scumbag
12-06-2012, 10:07 AM
I was thinking of buying Nexuiz, and whatever else I have left to burn some cash on

Unless you look to play with bots (which aint too hot) I'd advise avoiding that.

sonson
12-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Rayman Origins
Arma II, for Day Z
Remaining cheap SR 3 DLC that I don’t have
Portal/Portal II (really haven’t played either…)

That’s about it. Maybe Arkham City if it’s really cheap, although I haven’t even completed Asylum yet. I have so many apparently great games to get stuck into that I can honestly say for the first time I have no real interest in anything that’s likely to come up.

Still have to finish Psychonauts, and also have Brutal Legend, Costume Quest (saving that for Halloween mind) and Stacking from Double Fine. On top of that have The Witcher II, Dustforce, Bastion, Lone Survivor, Limbo, Machinarium, RDR, LA Noire, Trine II, Patapon II, Populous: The Beginning, Mass Effect trilogy, both Left 4 Deads and a few others. So really not wanting for good games at the moment. I’m paralysed by choice if anything.

Drake Sigar
12-06-2012, 11:17 AM
What's wrong with B&W2? It's a city builder with a tamagotchi, rather than a tamagotchi with city building?

The city building isn't complete enough to carry the game, and most Black & White 1 fans bought 2 for the tamagotchi aspect, which seems a little watered down. I don't recall it having a multiplayer, which was pretty essential because in the previous game it allowed your creature to keep growing bigger and bigger. Think you could even take their new growth back to the single-player too.

I assume you got the expansion since you mentioned the turtle. That one was always my favourite, I ended up modifying my Black & White 1 game to play em.

Sketch
12-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Well, guess I'll be installing Black and White again. I like them both, I remember a lot of the time the first just devolved into me throwing fire at the other peoples villages, plus using that dude who never dies to put out the flames and heal them. There's probably better ways to play...

Mana_Garmr
12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
That's pretty much all I did too. You were supposed to use your creature to show off and do miraculous things to get the outlying villages to believe in you so your area of influence expanded far enough. I just ended up chucking burning rocks across the map so they landed in the middle of the village and started fires until the village couldn't sustain itself anymore.

Drake Sigar
12-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Well that's not very nice.

Chaz
12-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Just Crysis 2....and Risen....and Risen 2...and maybe some KoA:Reckoning DLCs.

I second Risen. I know it's only £14.99 right now, but I want it cheaper!

Mass Effect 2, drop it to a tenner please, £15 is just a little more than I want to pay for an old game, especially now that 3's been out for a while.

Deus Ex: HR, want to add it to my collection, but I'm such a cheapskate and I still have loads of other games to play yet.

Oshada
12-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Ah yes, Mass Effect 2... why won't you have a GOTY edition :(

RobC
12-06-2012, 01:45 PM
I've got so many games I haven't played yet. There aren't any particular titles I am look to go on sale, but I hope there are some surprises that I want to play.

frenz0rz
12-06-2012, 01:51 PM
I'll probably buy Dead Space 2 when it inevitably drops under a tenner. I enjoyed the first quite a bit, but not really enough to pay full price for its sequel, particularly in a year with so many good games.

Oh, and I'll get Max Payne 3 if they chop a few quid off it.

Shy Otter
12-06-2012, 02:33 PM
I've got so many games I haven't played yet.

Me too. I'd been more or less playing only MMOs for the past few years (please don't come after me with pitchforks!), and I've missed pretty much all the major releases due to that. I've since sworn off most MMOs save for casual dabbling in GW2, so I'm looking forward to this sale to grab a few I've been really wanting to play but never bought (I knew they'd just collect dust).

I don't really have a list per se. Just hoping there are a few nice RPGs or action games I can pick up. :)

SMiD
12-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Ya know, if you already have a ton of games to play, you can totally ignore the sale and save that coin for something useful like snacks or booze for an extended play session of games you own but haven't played!

Or you can go ahead and throw more on the pile. But you'll be snackless. And boozeless. And will probably cry.

Shy Otter
12-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Ya know, if you already have a ton of games to play, you can totally ignore the sale

Reading back on RobC's post, I realized I probably misunderstood him -- I thought he meant that there are so many games he hadn't yet played because he hadn't bought them yet (i.e., my own case) ... but then reading SMiD's post made me realize that RobC most likely meant he hadn't played a lot of the games he DID buy. D'oh at me. :D

Heliocentric
12-06-2012, 03:04 PM
My favourite B&W2 run was a "good" one where I had a beautiful town with pleantiful housing and vast gardens. No people though, I sacrificed them all, I used a small invaded village on each map to keep a population to harvest infants from.

Yes, blue skies and vast swathes of refugees at my doorstep: I'm holy!

Heliocentric
12-06-2012, 03:06 PM
I'll probably buy Dead Space 2 when it inevitably drops under a tenner. I enjoyed the first quite a bit, but not really enough to pay full price for its sequel, particularly in a year with so many good games.

Oh, and I'll get Max Payne 3 if they chop a few quid off it.
http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-DS2UK/dead-space-2
£5.98, activates on Origin, or "no steam no sale"?

db1331
12-06-2012, 03:09 PM

I was given a free copy of Dead Space 2 for pre-ordering BF3. I added it to Steam with the "Add a non-Steam game" function and play it that way. You don't even have to have Origin running to play it.

Drake Sigar
12-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I don't usually buy much from Steam, but I'd like to grab the Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars expansion, because epic facial hair and bad English impressions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYHlFtGN0JE&feature=plcp

Vexing Vision
12-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Going to grab Arkham City for the DLC because I can't buy it with my GFWL version because GFWL is broken and pain.
Probably New Vegas if I can get the English-language version without much smuggling.
If the new Avernum 1 becomes part of the deal, I might grab that too.
If Kingdoms of Alalalalong gets really cheap, I may grab it now that Origin made their policies slightly less insane.
Definitely waiting on a sale of Wargame.

And then whatever randomness springs up...

frenz0rz
12-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Ooh nice, cheers for that. Nah I'm not one of those "no steam no sale" people, I do prefer things on Steam to keep my games list nice and tidy but if somethings cheaper elsewhere I really dont mind. The only problem now is that I've got games on Steam, Origin, GoG, Impulse...

mrwout
12-06-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't usually buy much from Steam, but I'd like to grab the Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars expansion, because epic facial hair and bad English impressions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYHlFtGN0JE&feature=plcp

I'm hoping too that one gets (another) sale soon! Was going to pick it up a the sale last weekend but totally forgot :(

Kodeen
12-06-2012, 04:13 PM
If Kingdoms of Alalalalong gets really cheap, I may grab it now that Origin made their policies slightly less insane.

I don't even know who has the authority to pull the trigger on a sale. If it's EA, then it'll probably happen, they know the game. If it's the state of RI, then who knows, they might not understand the value in it, or may simply not care.

Giaddon
12-06-2012, 05:56 PM
The Steam version of KOA is just on Steam, anyway. No Origin required.

Tritagonist
12-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Going to grab Arkham City for the DLC because I can't buy it with my GFWL version because GFWL is broken and pain.
I thought Steam's version of Batman: Arkham City had triple DRM: Steam, SecuROM and GFWL - without a chance to avoid any of it. Or perhaps I misunderstand your post.

Althea
12-06-2012, 06:37 PM
I thought Steam's version of Batman: Arkham City had triple DRM: Steam, SecuROM and GFWL - without a chance to avoid any of it. Or perhaps I misunderstand your post.
I thought so too, and it does, but I think VV is thinking more about being able to buy the Delseh - GfWL Marketplace (now Xbox.com or whatever) can be a pain in the arse to buy from, whereas the Gaben's DRM Solutions Incorporated's version of Arkham City has the Delseh available through that.

Tritagonist
12-06-2012, 06:37 PM
That would make sense.

Endless Blockade
12-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Primarily going for Darksiders and Space Marine. But I know myself, will most likely be getting quite a few dirt cheap ones for a few eurobucks aswell.

Saw a few others mentioned Saints Row the Third, I've only played about an hour of it since the sale but I do enjoy it quite a bit so I'd recommend it.

Might go for Warlock: Master of the Arcane and/or Crusader Kings II aswell, planning on checking out the demo(s?) tonight.

Vexing Vision
12-06-2012, 09:04 PM
I thought so too, and it does, but I think VV is thinking more about being able to buy the Delseh - GfWL Marketplace (now Xbox.com or whatever) can be a pain in the arse to buy from, whereas the Gaben's DRM Solutions Incorporated's version of Arkham City has the Delseh available through that.

Althea has me figured out.

This scares me significantly more than I figured it would.

I really want the DLC for Batman Arkham City, and I tried twice to buy it via GFWL. The first time it didn't recognize my credit card, the second time it crashed. So I'll rebuy the Steam version if it's around for a tenner, especially if it's already bundled with the DLC.

Nalano
12-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Althea has me figured out.

This scares me significantly more than I figured it would.

She's spying on you.

You should be worried.

Althea
12-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Ewwwwwwwwwwww.

www.

Rauten
12-06-2012, 10:06 PM
She's not denying it.

Althea
12-06-2012, 10:08 PM
I'd have thought the "Ewwwwwwwwwww" would work as a denial.

Nalano
12-06-2012, 10:10 PM
I'd have thought the "Ewwwwwwwwwww" would work as a denial.

Actually, it sounds exactly like something you'd say if you were spying on VV.

Althea
12-06-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm gonna run to the bathroom. Someone come hold my hair out of the basin :p

Vexing Vision
12-06-2012, 10:17 PM

Don't look at me!

(I like being stalked, but she still scares me.)

Speaking of which! I think I shall rebuy the Stalker series these summer sales, because due to the latest move I kind of lost my CDs. There is a lot to be said for digital stuff.

Rauten
12-06-2012, 11:21 PM

I would, but I happen to be several hundreds of miles away. I know, I know, details, weak of me, but what can a guy do.

I'm going to have to add Endless Space to my list. Goddamnit Giaddon those are very pretty pictures.

Edit: this is actually part of my love-hate relationship with RPS; There are so many games I had no idea or interest about, and I learn about thanks to/because of you people. I expect a formal apology for my wallet from the lot of you!

Nalano
12-06-2012, 11:25 PM
I would, but I happen to be several hundreds of miles away. I know, I know, details, weak of me, but what can a guy do.

Giggle.

10char

Rauten
12-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Giggle.

Uhm, ok.

*Giggles*

Heliocentric
12-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Giggle.

*Giggles*
Objection! Quickly, get back to discussing buying games you cant afford and don't need!

Rauten
13-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Objection! (http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=5862730) Quickly, get back to discussing buying games you cant afford and don't need!

Aaaand I'm outta here.

fiddlesticks
13-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Quickly, get back to discussing buying games you cant afford and don't need!
This really should be the thread title.

The JG Man
13-06-2012, 02:55 AM
Primarily going for Darksiders and Space Marine.

If I recall, Darksiders sale price was the same as its recent daily deal, but with the sequel coming out, they may want to raise brand awareness so it could go even cheaper. As for Space Marine, I can see it being £6.66. Might luck out and be able to get both for around a tenner, which is a bloody bargain. Hell, I spent £30 on Darksiders (360) and I feel like that was a fair price.

This really should be the thread title.

It's accurate, for sure.

sabrage
13-06-2012, 04:53 AM
I'll grab the Isaac DLC if it goes down. That's it.

MrN
13-06-2012, 05:34 AM
I've gorged myself pretty good of late on these sales, so I can't really think of a heck of a lot that I want. The only games that come to mind right now are Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Legend of Grimrock.

elephant god
13-06-2012, 09:47 AM
I still have a huge backlog, but what I'd be willing to spend some money on would be The Wrath Of The Lamb and ArmA2CO, and maybe Skyrim, Saints Row 3 or DX:HR If they're below 10€

Endless Blockade
13-06-2012, 11:01 AM
If I recall, Darksiders sale price was the same as its recent daily deal, but with the sequel coming out, they may want to raise brand awareness so it could go even cheaper. As for Space Marine, I can see it being £6.66. Might luck out and be able to get both for around a tenner, which is a bloody bargain. Hell, I spent £30 on Darksiders (360) and I feel like that was a fair price.

I missed that daily deal apparently. I've been checking every now and then irregularly for a discount on Darksiders and Space Marine. But yeah. I've had such a backlog up until recently more or less so I'd pick both of them up for just a 50% drop to be honest. Especially since I've heard almost universally good things about both games. And I really did love that Space Marine demo I played a while back.

sabrage
13-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Crap, I just caught up with all the Day Z hype that I've been ignoring up til now. Looks like I'll be hunting for a deal on Operation Arrowhead as well.

t0mme
13-06-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm gunning for LA Noire, F1 2011, DCS A-10 Warthog, DCS Black Shark, IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover and perhaps some nice DLC for Railworks.

Endless Blockade
13-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Crap, I just caught up with all the Day Z hype that I've been ignoring up til now. Looks like I'll be hunting for a deal on Operation Arrowhead as well.

Combined Operations, not Operation Arrowhead. Would be a shame if you bought the wrong game, a friend of mine almost made that mistake.

apricotsoup
13-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Huge backlog but I'm still happy picking up various things, idiot that I am :]

Ass Rev,
Rayman Origins,
Kingdoms of Amalur,
Witcher 2,
Anno 2070,
Sonic Generations,
Crysis 2

and probably various indie games or newer ones I don't expect to go on sale just yet should they turn up :o

Battle Programmer Spike
13-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Combined Operations, not Operation Arrowhead. Would be a shame if you bought the wrong game, a friend of mine almost made that mistake.
That's easily fixable by buying the original ArmA II as well.

Cooper
13-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Combined Ops = ARAM II + OA.

It's nothing extra or different. They can come from different retailers too. OA is pretty good at working out if ARAM II is instaled at which point Combined Ops is available by default.

Grizzly
13-06-2012, 05:22 PM

Actually, you can get Operation Arrowhead, and then get Arma 2 free so you get "Combined operations (lite)".

Endless Blockade
13-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Aha! See, I had no idea of this. Thanks for clearing that up.

A bit sad I didn't research this more when my friend almost bought Arma II: Operation Arrowhead for dirt cheap through Green Man Gaming or some other site, since he could've been playing Day Z by now.

sabrage
13-06-2012, 08:23 PM
I already have Arma II. I can use the Steam OA expansion with my GMG A2, right?

TailSwallower
13-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Actually, I might end up getting one of the Stalker games on sale for when I get back home and have a good enough computer to run them. Is the most recent generally considered to be the best?

Fumarole
13-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Actually, I might end up getting one of the Stalker games on sale for when I get back home and have a good enough computer to run them. Is the most recent generally considered to be the best?I liked them all, but the most recent is probably the best experience overall. I'm sure the older games have more mods available though, as should be expected.

kataras
14-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Actually, I might end up getting one of the Stalker games on sale for when I get back home and have a good enough computer to run them. Is the most recent generally considered to be the best?

I would say get all of them if you can. The last is the most accessible but the first has the best atmosphere. I liked Clear Sky for what it was but it ranks at the bottom of the three. There's a lot of good mods for both SoC and CoP to keep you busy after you finish them.

elephant god
14-06-2012, 10:20 AM
I already have Arma II. I can use the Steam OA expansion with my GMG A2, right?

I have ArmAII on GMG, too, would it be possible to get Arrowhead on steam, get it to automatically detect that it is Combined Operations and ditch the GMG version?

Althea
14-06-2012, 10:48 AM
I have ArmAII on GMG, too, would it be possible to get Arrowhead on steam, get it to automatically detect that it is Combined Operations and ditch the GMG version?
This FAQ might help (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337127).

Might.

asskicker
14-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Arma II: Combined Operations
Rayman: Origins
Saints Row: The Third
RAGE
Kingdoms of Amalur (if It's cheap enough)
Ass: Rev

Anno 2070

Sonic Generations

Dammit, the list is getting too big already!

MUST
FINISH
BACKLOG

TailSwallower
14-06-2012, 08:03 PM
I would say get all of them if you can.

Ideally that's what I'd want to do, but I have so many games in the backlog and real, proper adult responsibilities, so I just don't think I'd have the time to tackle all three. But yeah, maybe I could start at the first and if I like it enough to get the third then I can worry about that down the track.

Fumarole
15-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Ideally that's what I'd want to do, but I have so many games in the backlog and real, proper adult responsibilities, so I just don't think I'd have the time to tackle all three. But yeah, maybe I could start at the first and if I like it enough to get the third then I can worry about that down the track.I actually like having a backlog of games caused by ridiculous sales. This means when the latest AAA game hits the ether shelves I can stay content playing older games from my 'log and pick up that game when it eventually hits a sale. This saves me much money and gives me more games to play. Sure time is a factor, but there always ends up being some time between the big sales. I'm glad my girl has grown more accepting of my gaming the longer we've lived together. She's a keeper.

Squiz
20-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I actually like having a backlog of games caused by ridiculous sales. This means when the latest AAA game hits the ether shelves I can stay content playing older games from my 'log and pick up that game when it eventually hits a sale. This saves me much money and gives me more games to play. Sure time is a factor, but there always ends up being some time between the big sales. I'm glad my girl has grown more accepting of my gaming the longer we've lived together. She's a keeper.As long as I keep finishing a game from my backlog every now and then, I tend to pick up a game or two during the sales, although I try to minimize the amount of DRM-ridden titles. If somehow Mass Effect 3 is showing up during this summer sale, I might pick it up though. That's because I have played (and liked) the first two titles enough to play through them twice each (well, currently working on my second playthrough of ME2 to get a character ready for ME3) and therefore had to deal with Steam either way. In case it doesn't go on sale, I'll keep playing the stuff I've got and wait for Christmas.

Althea
20-06-2012, 09:01 AM
As long as I keep finishing a game from my backlog every now and then, I tend to pick up a game or two during the sales, although I try to minimize the amount of DRM-ridden titles. If somehow Mass Effect 3 is showing up during this summer sale, I might pick it up though. That's because I have played (and liked) the first two titles enough to play through them twice each (well, currently working on my second playthrough of ME2 to get a character ready for ME3) and therefore had to deal with Steam either way. In case it doesn't go on sale, I'll keep playing the stuff I've got and wait for Christmas.
Mass Effect 3 will not show up on Steam, if that's what you mean.

Squiz
20-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Origin then maybe? :3

Althea
20-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Origin then maybe? :3
Definitely.

And ignore the haters, Origin is not bad at all. Actually, I must confess I think it works rather nicely.

Hypernetic
20-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Definitely.

And ignore the haters, Origin is not bad at all. Actually, I must confess I think it works rather nicely.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the Origin "haters" complaints stem around it being unnecessary rather than being about the service itself. That is how I feel about it.

I never had any real problems with the actual Origin program, but I didn't want it. Steam is great, I have over 200 games and about the same number of friends, why would I want something else that does the same thing?

Look at something like Google+, it doesn't matter how well it works or how cool it's features are, everyone is already established on facebook and as such Google+ is doomed to fail. (it kind of already has). Origin is basically Google+ and Steam is facebook.

renhoelder
20-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Definitely.

+1

If I can, I'll get a game on Steam but no longer will I pay premium to have it on Steam and neither is "Origin required" a deterrant when browsing sales.

How big a budget to you people have planned for Steam Seal 2012? Amazon maybe PM some deals or have a lil thing of their own, so it's double trouble for the ol bank account.

jezcentral
20-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Yes, Origin's off-line actually seems to work. (At least, it did for me).

I'm not sure what to get in the Steam sale, as I got all the titles that I wanted at Xmas, and not much has come out since. I have a wishlist, but they are more it-would-be-kind-of-nice-to-play-this-if-only-I-had-the-time-but-I'd-probably-play-something-else-instead-as-my-time-is-short. Which, as a category, doesn't exactly roll of the tongue, I admit.

renhoelder
20-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Rayman Origins is one I'm hoping to snag for a good price, other than that, not much, back-log is big enough. Having said that my game count (on Steam) will probably hit 200 by the end of the sale (it's at ~170 now) but I've had time to play about maybe 20 titles of those max. Ok a bunch of the games are from various bundle sales, but still, this is getting to be something like game hording.

Althea
20-06-2012, 10:12 AM
I could be wrong, but I think most of the Origin "haters" complaints stem around it being unnecessary rather than being about the service itself. That is how I feel about it.
Steam is also unnecessary for the most part; the only games that really 'benefit' are Multiplayer games that use the Steamworks system, yet people don't seem to rant about it.

Origin is fine in every way, and unlike Steam it doesn't need to be running for you to play your games. Good enough for me.

Squiz
20-06-2012, 10:14 AM
How big a budget to you people have planned for Steam Seal 2012? Amazon maybe PM some deals or have a lil thing of their own, so it's double trouble for the ol bank account.I like to stay flexible, so I don't have a set budget for the sales. Given the experiences with prior sales, I'll try to buy only a few games (keeps the backlog slim) and as few on Steam/Origin/DRM-based-gaming-format-of-your-choice as possible. Maybe 1-2 cheap (~5EUR each) games or 1 medium-priced (~10-15EUR) title. If there is an insane sale for a game that I was curious about, say, at 2-3EUR, I might pounce on that as well.

Scumbag
20-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Origin is fine in every way, and unlike Steam it doesn't need to be running for you to play your games.

Origin also runs stable, Steam does not.

renhoelder
20-06-2012, 10:30 AM
No fixed budget for me either. Maybe I'll end up getting some games that I've bought on amazon or GMG so I can have them in one client and don't have to dl them somewhere else or use another client, but that's only when the price is cheap enough, I am just that lazy :)

On the clients. Since I have yet to get into MP, Steam and Origin pretty much just need to keep my games updated and cloud saved, which they do, no problem. When it comes to navigating the store part of aforementioned clients, Steam is much easier for me and looks better on my big screen TV.

Oshada
20-06-2012, 10:33 AM
I don't mind Steam and Origin, but one more client would be too many. I'd like to pick up AssRev and probably Mass Effect 2. Does anyone know whether it can be activated on Origin?

renhoelder
20-06-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't mind Steam and Origin, but one more client would be too many. I'd like to pick up AssRev and probably Mass Effect 2. Does anyone know whether it can be activated on Origin?

FYI you can get ME2 on amazon right now for $4.99 or the Deluxe version for $8.99, both should register on Origin, I'll doubt it you'll get em cheaper on Steam.

Wheelz
20-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Not to sound like a Steam fan boy, but there are reasons for prefering Steam over Origin. Namely that the Origin store is beyond retarded for anyone living outside of the UK and the USA. Additionally, some games do require Origin to be running, I believe Battlefield 3 is one example.

On Topic: I'd like to pick up Heroes of Might and Magic 6, Sins Trinity, Ruse, StrongHold 3 (haven't played any of the others, and I saw it got a fairly negative Wot I think here, but I'm still interested in the premise), the new magicka dlc, Saints Row 3, and maybe skyrim if it hits atleast 66% off (it's currently $90 USD in my region).

Strazz
20-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Rome and Medieval II: Total War + expansions if I can get them all for less than €10. Already have these games on disc, but it'd be nice to have them on Steam as well.

R.U.S.E. DLC

Amalur DLC

If they put out a Paradox complete pack for around €50-€60 I might bite... most of my Paradox titles are on disc and I still don't have Warlock: Master of the Arcane or the Crusader Kings II DLC.

Leopig
20-06-2012, 01:56 PM
I bought darksiders on origin yesterday. It is funny, to play the game I have to launch origin for it to launch steam lol. Still prefer Origin though.

Moraven
20-06-2012, 02:53 PM
I still pick up a game or two from Impulse/Gamestop.

Their weekend sales are decent and they have their limited sale friday.

Client works well to update and install. I have reinstalled windows a few times now and never had to launch Impulse to play my games.

Althea
20-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Not to sound like a Steam fan boy, but there are reasons for prefering Steam over Origin. Namely that the Origin store is beyond retarded for anyone living outside of the UK and the USA. Additionally, some games do require Origin to be running, I believe Battlefield 3 is one example.
The number of titles that require Origin to run is much fewer than the number of which Steam is needed.

But my point was less about buying from Origin (though that's certainly not been an issue for myself) and more about using it in general.

Hypernetic
20-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Steam is also unnecessary for the most part; the only games that really 'benefit' are Multiplayer games that use the Steamworks system, yet people don't seem to rant about it.

Origin is fine in every way, and unlike Steam it doesn't need to be running for you to play your games. Good enough for me.

You kind of ignored the rest of my post which is a counter-argument to your reply...

Nalano
20-06-2012, 11:54 PM

Because Valve usually have the best prices in general and have the most sales?

Because Steam and Steamworks actually have customer benefits?

Because Origin does need to be run for Origin games, and browser menus are unwieldy?

Rauten
21-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Because Origin bans you for reporting on their forums that someone has been insulting and constantly pestering you, and to add insult to injury, a forum ban is also an Origin ban that effectively blocks you from your purchased games?

Sketch
21-06-2012, 12:04 AM
That was rescinded I believe.

But both suck in that they could lock me out of a game I own on disc. Actually wait, Origin still allows singleplayer, if you're banned. Hurrah!

vinraith
21-06-2012, 12:07 AM

But both suck in that they could lock me out of a game I own on disc.

Yup. Frankly anything that can lock me out of games I've already paid for pisses me off, regardless of how it tries to justify getting between me and my games. Origin is not practically different from Steam, both suck.

Leopig
21-06-2012, 12:09 AM
I have bought more games on Origin this year but spent more money on Steam....

Nalano
21-06-2012, 12:14 AM

For that person, after a month-long PR campaign.

Sketch
21-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Yep, and now they don't do that anymore.

deano2099
21-06-2012, 12:53 AM
But both suck in that they could lock me out of a game I own on disc. Actually wait, Origin still allows singleplayer, if you're banned. Hurrah!

Valve have stopped 'banning' people from Steam now though too. New policy is to 'restrict' accounts. You can't buy anything new, trade, play online but you can still play your games.

Fumarole
21-06-2012, 02:46 AM
[...]StrongHold 3 (haven't played any of the others, and I saw it got a fairly negative Wot I think here, but I'm still interested in the premise)[...]Buy the first game (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/stronghold); it is most excellent.

vinraith
21-06-2012, 03:40 AM
Valve have stopped 'banning' people from Steam now though too. New policy is to 'restrict' accounts. You can't buy anything new, trade, play online but you can still play your games.

Is that documented anywhere? It's a very good change in policy, not to mention very wise on their part. Reminding the public that they can revoke your right to play "your" games at any time is ultimately bad for business, after all.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 04:01 AM
Is that documented anywhere? It's a very good change in policy, not to mention very wise on their part. Reminding the public that they can revoke your right to play "your" games at any time is ultimately bad for business, after all.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Valve-Updates-Steam-Account-Policy-You-Can-Now-Access-Your-Games-Banned-41650.html

vinraith
21-06-2012, 04:46 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Valve-Updates-Steam-Account-Policy-You-Can-Now-Access-Your-Games-Banned-41650.html

Thanks. One could easily read that as "EA's terrible example encouraged Valve to clean up their act in the interest of greater contrast." Maybe Origin is good for something after all.

Anyway, it's a step in the right direction on Valve's part, which is (ever so slightly) encouraging. Now if they'd just codify the practice by nixing the relevant line in the subscriber agreement (which, of course, they won't) I'd almost be willing to pay more than $10 for a Steam game.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Anyway, it's a step in the right direction on Valve's part, which is (ever so slightly) encouraging. Now if they'd just codify the practice by nixing the relevant line in the subscriber agreement (which, of course, they won't) I'd almost be willing to pay more than $10 for a Steam game.

I've long since come to the conclusion that if the PC gaming industry relied on people like you, it'd have died a long time ago.

I'm not saying that to denigrate your stance, but to point out that it's a hard one to keep when they're all perfectly willing to rely on consoles primarily.

vinraith
21-06-2012, 05:22 AM
I've long since come to the conclusion that if the PC gaming industry relied on people like you, it'd have died a long time ago.

I'm not saying that to denigrate your stance, but to point out that it's a hard one to keep when they're all perfectly willing to rely on consoles primarily.

*shrug* The games I like don't get put on consoles, for the most part. Then again, quite a lot of the games I like don't get put on Steam, either. If AAA games simply ceased to exist on this platform it would barely impact my gaming habits. These days the vast majority of my purchases are made at full price, direct from the developer, and I'm fine with that.

All of which is to say yeah, big budget PC gaming would be quite dead if it relied on people like me.

Space Indaver
21-06-2012, 05:41 AM
You heard him, he's trying to stop Bioshock being made! Get 'im!

Althea
21-06-2012, 09:35 AM
*shrug* The games I like don't get put on consoles, for the most part. Then again, quite a lot of the games I like don't get put on Steam, either. If AAA games simply ceased to exist on this platform it would barely impact my gaming habits. These days the vast majority of my purchases are made at full price, direct from the developer, and I'm fine with that.

All of which is to say yeah, big budget PC gaming would be quite dead if it relied on people like me.
I disagree about how it would barely impact your habits. It might not do so directly, but there will be a problem if AAA stops happening for us. You've got to remember that THQ, Square Enix, EA, Valve and some other publishers do put out indie/smaller-dev games too, as well as some imports.

It would also take so much money out of PC gaming, and so much expertise. If AAA stopped happening for us, we would lose some of the greatest studios around - Blue Byte, for example.

We, in fact, need more AAA titles to bring more people to PC gaming and, as such, put more money into it and one effect it would have would be to bring better ports/translations and even increase the size and perhaps even quality of the indie market.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 09:59 AM
I disagree about how it would barely impact your habits. It might not do so directly, but there will be a problem if AAA stops happening for us. You've got to remember that THQ, Square Enix, EA, Valve and some other publishers do put out indie/smaller-dev games too, as well as some imports.

It would also take so much money out of PC gaming, and so much expertise. If AAA stopped happening for us, we would lose some of the greatest studios around - Blue Byte, for example.

We, in fact, need more AAA titles to bring more people to PC gaming and, as such, put more money into it and one effect it would have would be to bring better ports/translations and even increase the size and perhaps even quality of the indie market.

This. The big dogs create the market - in talent, production and consumer cultivation - for niche games to exist.

roryok
21-06-2012, 10:39 AM

Exactly. Because more AAA games means more PC gamers means a bigger potential audience for indie games and a much greater incentive for companies to try new things and get traction.

sonson
21-06-2012, 11:01 AM
This. The big dogs create the market - in talent, production and consumer cultivation - for niche games to exist.

There's also the technological evolution and innovation the AAA developers bring about through investment into that side of things, which leads to such becoming more mainstream and widely available.

Alot of indie programmers and developers are free to pursue creative ideas because the mechanical platform for them to base it on already exists; without AAA investment into that though it wouldn't, and so indie developers would either have to scale back their ideas to something more restricted, or spend more time trying to push the technological fringes, or more likely both.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 11:09 AM
There's also the technological evolution and innovation the AAA developers bring about through investment into that side of things, which leads to such becoming more mainstream and widely available.

Alot of indie programmers and developers are free to pursue creative ideas because the mechanical platform for them to base it on already exists; without AAA investment into that though it wouldn't, and so indie developers would either have to scale back their ideas to something more restricted, or spend more time trying to push the technological fringes, or more likely both.

That's what I meant by "production," but yeah. :P

sonson
21-06-2012, 11:11 AM
That's what I meant by "production," but yeah. :P

Why say one word when you can say 173?

archonsod
21-06-2012, 11:17 AM

Such as?

Alot of indie programmers and developers are free to pursue creative ideas because the mechanical platform for them to base it on already exists

And existed before gaming. Wonderful thing about the PC is that unlike the consoles, it's not utilised solely for gaming. In fact, historically gaming co-opts a lot of innovations which happen elsewhere.

Althea
21-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Such as?
Source engine & related tools, Unreal Development Kit and a good number of mod tools for popular strategies.

A number of indie games and studios started as, basically, modders. With no AAA presence, that means no AAA tools and as such there's no accessible, professional-level tool for modders (and, as such, future developers) to cut their teeth.

And existed before gaming. Wonderful thing about the PC is that unlike the consoles, it's not utilised solely for gaming. In fact, historically gaming co-opts a lot of innovations which happen elsewhere.
Yes, it does, but the existence of AAA games, their presence, communities and so forth allows ideas to be created more easily and shared, thus leading to more projects being created.

Flint
21-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Is there any information on when the sales actually start? Although, judging by the previous sales, I've a hunch it's aimed to begin just after I go abroad for a week just so I end up missing out on all the non-sale metagame stuff.

Jams O'Donnell
21-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Is there any information on when the sales actually start? Although, judging by the previous sales, I've a hunch it's aimed to begin just after I go abroad for a week just so I end up missing out on all the non-sale metagame stuff.
2011: 30th June (Thursday)
2010: 24th June (Thursday)

If it's going to happen, it's going to happen soon. Maybe VERY soon, but my money's on next Thursday.

Oshada
21-06-2012, 01:36 PM
FYI you can get ME2 on amazon right now for $4.99 or the Deluxe version for $8.99, both should register on Origin, I'll doubt it you'll get em cheaper on Steam.

Damn that is nice! I shall get cracking soon, thank you!

The JG Man
21-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Worth remembering, for better or worse, that you can get an app for Steam on mobile devices, so if you're away from home but have internet access, you should be able to still invest. Someone may wanna verify that though, as I'm not 100% on it.

Flint
21-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Worth remembering, for better or worse, that you can get an app for Steam on mobile devices, so if you're away from home but have internet access, you should be able to still invest. Someone may wanna verify that though, as I'm not 100% on it.
True, but if there's any of the summer camp-esque meta game stuff going on this year, participating in them is a bit trickier without a gaming PC at hand.

Heliocentric
21-06-2012, 02:54 PM
2011: 30th June (Thursday)
2010: 24th June (Thursday)

If it's going to happen, it's going to happen soon. Maybe VERY soon, but my money's on next Thursday.Obviously July the 4th is a significant factor in the scheduling. This makes the 28th more likely than today, but gamers gate has an ultra sale on total ways games, publishers are often quite bad when it comes to openly matching their sales, especially Sega. Could be today tbh, but yeah I'd be surprised if it hadn't happened by next thursday.

vinraith
21-06-2012, 03:06 PM

The big dogs create a market. The niche stuff was here long before the "big dogs" and would most definitely survive them. There are certainly some indies that have benefited from the likes of Valve and EA dominating the platform, but the influence of these large publishers (and their "customer cultivation") has done little to nothing to aid the more niche areas of the indie gaming space. In fact, as any developer that can't or won't get on Steam would likely tell you, the influence of those larger publishers primarily serves to suck all the air out of the room for the non-favored, and depress prices.

More people may mean more games, but most of them are fluff. There's obviously no way to know without actually having the industry collapse, but I continue to suspect I'd be just fine without Valve, EA, and company around. Yes, I'd lose some games and series I cared about (Blue Byte, as Althea rightly points out, would be one of many casualties), I'm not claiming otherwise, but I'd have plenty of interesting stuff to play anyway.

The JG Man
21-06-2012, 03:06 PM
True, but if there's any of the summer camp-esque meta game stuff going on this year, participating in them is a bit trickier without a gaming PC at hand.

Right...yeah, that makes a lot more sense. There's also the internet at hand. I'm going to go back to my recesses now :P

Giaddon
21-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Obviously July the 4th is a significant factor in the scheduling. This makes the 28th more likely than today, but gamers gate has an ultra sale on total ways games, publishers are often quite bad when it comes to openly matching their sales, especially Sega. Could be today tbh, but yeah I'd be surprised if it hadn't happened by next thursday.

It's been the last Thursday of June for the past two years, I'd expect it's the same this year, i.e., the 28th.

TailSwallower
21-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Steam just put up their weekend deal (75% off Deus Ex), so I doubt we'll see the Summer Sale start this week. One more week ladies and gentlelads.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 07:42 PM
More people may mean more games, but most of them are fluff. There's obviously no way to know without actually having the industry collapse, but I continue to suspect I'd be just fine without Valve, EA, and company around. Yes, I'd lose some games and series I cared about (Blue Byte, as Althea rightly points out, would be one of many casualties), I'm not claiming otherwise, but I'd have plenty of interesting stuff to play anyway.

Three things.

1) Sturgeon's Law applies to indies, too.
2) The industry did collapse. More than once. And suddenly you didn't see very many games coming out.
3) Yeah, you'll get an industry where a game will sell tens of thousands instead of millions, and the combined interest in gaming will shrink accordingly. Without the large number of minds invested in gaming, you'll see fewer, less interesting, less complex games across the board. Althea was right: A lot of new developers - indie developers, no less! - started as modders of AAA games, which means they were defined by a AAA market. They were game fans first, game developers second.

Althea
21-06-2012, 07:50 PM
It's also worth noting, in my opinion, that a number of indie devs are ex-professionals or contain ex-pros in their roster - Gaslamp Games, for example, has some ex-professional devs.

vinraith
21-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Very long post deleted, suffice it to say we're not talking about the same games. Ultimately this is a pointless argument anyway. I can do no harm to the industry, so there's little enough point trying to convince me to try and save it. I'm content that it'll collapse in due course, and maintain hope that the interesting stuff at the fringes will survive. That's where I'll be spending my money, anyway.

DocSeuss
21-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Hey, Heliocentric, Fable 3 isn't bad, it's just... not Fable 1. It's a bit like going into Swat 4 expecting Police Quest, except probably not that excellent. It's a fun game that I greatly enjoyed.

Nalano
21-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Very long post deleted, suffice it to say we're not talking about the same games. Ultimately this is a pointless argument anyway. I can do no harm to the industry, so there's little enough point trying to convince me to try and save it. I'm content that it'll collapse in due course, and maintain hope that the interesting stuff at the fringes will survive. That's where I'll be spending my money, anyway.

That's why I started with "people like you," i.e. plural, i.e. if it were a prevailing point of view.

And your post kinda reads like "and that's why I hope society collapses but my neighborhood remains untouched."

Althea
21-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Hey, Heliocentric, Fable 3 isn't bad, it's just... not Fable 1. It's a bit like going into Swat 4 expecting Police Quest, except probably not that excellent. It's a fun game that I greatly enjoyed.
It's a piss-poor port with many great ideas that are only half-baked, leading to an unbalanced and largely un-fun game with a few redeeming moments but ultimately too many back-and-forth quests.

DocSeuss
21-06-2012, 11:42 PM
It's a piss-poor port with many great ideas that are only half-baked, leading to an unbalanced and largely un-fun game with a few redeeming moments but ultimately too many back-and-forth quests.

Interesting. You are the first person I've ever heard remark that it was a poor port. For my part, I find it rather good.

Yes, not all the ideas are great. Yes, you run around the world a lot.

...aaaaand somehow I enjoy it. I enjoy having to make myself look as stupid as possible to open a demon door. I love the hand-holding mechanic. I love a great deal of the quests, the general attitude of the world, and the fact that it's an RPG that tries to focus more on role-playing than unnecessary abstractions like being turn-based or isometric or relying on stats or whatever.

I like being in Albion, for whatever reason. I like ruling it dressed as a giant chicken even more.

Althea
21-06-2012, 11:46 PM
It was a poor port.

It was bloated, had GfWL, had numerous graphics issues, had very limited graphics options for an AAA port... Yeah...

vinraith
22-06-2012, 12:56 AM
That's why I started with "people like you," i.e. plural, i.e. if it were a prevailing point of view.

And your post kinda reads like "and that's why I hope society collapses but my neighborhood remains untouched."

You seem to think I'm hoping for a collapse. Regarding something as inevitable and hoping for it are two very different things. There are a lot of things I'd like to see changed about the industry, but I don't want to see it fall apart precisely because the collateral damage to the stuff I care about is completely unpredictable.

jnx
23-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Just figured out something I don't have and would like to get from a major sale.

Risen 1 & 2.

TaroYamada
23-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Just figured out something I don't have and would like to get from a major sale.

Risen 1 & 2.

You can play Risen 1 for free on the Void on GamersGate.

Althea
23-06-2012, 10:53 AM
You can play Risen 1 for free on the Void on GamersGate.
If Void is available in your region, which for most people it currently isn't.

Space Indaver
25-06-2012, 06:08 AM
Obviously these are all "if they have considerable discounts":

Demigod
Skyrim
Dead Island?
Deus Ex: Human Resources (it'll come up again in the sale, right? It's been an expensive month)
Sid Meier's Pirates
M&B: Warband
Metro 2033
Civ 5
Left 4 Dead 2 (if it goes very cheap. Which it will.)
Bulletstorm
Singularity
Saints Row 3
Splinter Cell: Conviction

And I won't play a f*cking one of them.

Althea
25-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Deus Ex: Human Resources (it'll come up again in the sale, right? It's been an expensive month)
You might want to check GamersGate this week, it's on sale. AGAIN.

Track
25-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Like last year, I think this is gonna be a situation where I'll know that I want something when it comes up on sale. The only things that I really have my eye on for this year are:

- Space Chem
- Arma II, mainly for Day Z, which seems fascinating if I can get the actual game for a cheap enough price.

Rauten
25-06-2012, 03:18 PM
I expect Arma2:CO (which is what you need for DayZ) to get at least for a day a 50%, after the discount they had on Amazon about a month ago. I also have a friend waiting on an offer to join the zombie "fun".

Space Indaver
25-06-2012, 03:50 PM
You might want to check GamersGate this week, it's on sale. AGAIN.

Aye, it's just not payday yet.

MrBlick
25-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Man, I'm dying to get Arma II Combined Operations. I've been reading up on the Day Z mod and its killing me. I know its only about $30 now but I want get it on a Steam Sale...its the principle.

I have my fingers crossed for the following games to show up on the Summer Sale:

Dead Space 1 & 2
Crysis 1 & 2
BulletStorm
Space Marine
Frozen Synapse
Botanicula

When the hell is it going down anyway?

Rauten
25-06-2012, 05:06 PM
There are some rumours going around now that it might get delayed until the second week of July. Seems a dev participating in whateverthehell Valve is planning for this year might or might not have been a bit too loose-lipped; it's all very much up in the air right now.

Finicky
25-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I really hope arma 2 goes on sale, been wanting to try day Z (but heard the engine runs like shit so I haven't bought the game full price).

Carra
25-06-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm hoping for arma 2 to play day Z. Saints Row 3 is also on my to play list.

Besides that, the Civ 5 expansion and Max Payne 3 (although that will probably have to wait for the end of the year).

As for Spacechem, it's been on sale multiple times, including for a few pennies in a bundle. It'll go on sale again.

Heliocentric
25-06-2012, 10:50 PM
When the hell is it going down anyway?

Common reasoning dictated the 28th of june.

flagoon
26-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I just want Dungeons of Dredmor on sale (because I missed last one). Other games don't interest me. I'm getting too old for this :(

alms
26-06-2012, 02:12 PM
I just want Dungeons of Dredmor on sale (because I missed last one). Other games don't interest me. I'm getting too old for this :(

If you want it so badly and you're not buying any other game anyway, why not get it full price and give some additional support the devs?

3.99$/€ is hardly going to break the bank.

Track
26-06-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm adding Alpha Protocol to my list of games-to-watch-for. The buginess and somewhat lackluster reviews make me not want to purchase it for full price, but after reading about it here it seems like exactly the kind of game that I would love.

Sic
26-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Common reasoning dictated the 28th of june.

How so? It was the same date last year?

vinraith
26-06-2012, 03:50 PM
How so? It was the same date last year?

It's started on the last Thursday in June for the last couple of years.

Smashbox
26-06-2012, 04:18 PM
My biggest surprise in this thread:

You folks still buy Sonic games??

Kodeen
26-06-2012, 04:28 PM

Sonic good. Smashbox bad.

Smashbox
26-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Smashbox SMASH!

Themadcow
26-06-2012, 04:34 PM
WARSMASH?

Anyways, I'll quickly email Gabe Newell and inform him that the 2nd week in July is no good for me as the Mrs is going away with the kids next Monday. He'll see sense.

The JG Man
26-06-2012, 04:38 PM

Sonic Generations and CD are great, the classics available on Steam are classics for a reason, whilst 4: Episode 1 is sub-grade and 2 is so average it's okay. Sega still need to do a lot of work on removing the stigma the brand has.

Smashbox
26-06-2012, 04:42 PM
I've felt betrayed one too many times to ever give those games a look again, sadly.

Flint
26-06-2012, 04:46 PM

Great series, great games, Generations is amazing and one of the very best games of 2011 and is greatly enjoyed even by people who haven't been enamoured with the series lately so it's very much worth a purchase from the sales if you're the sort of person who enjoys amazing games.

Rauten
26-06-2012, 04:46 PM
If I still buy Sonic games? Hell, I've already double dipped on Sonic Adventure 1 (bought on Steam despite still owning a DC and the game), and will do the same the very exact precise instant Sonic Adventure 2 hits Steam, whenever that may be. Which reminds me, WHEN THE HELL ARE THEY GOING TO RELEASE JET SET RADIO?! I NEED IT TO LIVE!!

Doodier
26-06-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm adding Alpha Protocol to my list of games-to-watch-for. The buginess and somewhat lackluster reviews make me not want to purchase it for full price, but after reading about it here it seems like exactly the kind of game that I would love.
It was for 2$/€ last year so it might pop up again for the same price. Pretty good game IMO.

jnx
26-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Alpha Protocol has a truck load of potential but seriously, is it impossible to patch some of the awkwardness away? It's not like Obisidian had bankrupted.

Smashbox
26-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Alpha Protocol needs a patch to remove the main character's snark.

vinraith
28-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Well, Steam just updated and... no sale. That unfortunately lends credence to the "not until mid-July" rumors.

alms
28-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Only one game in my library received unadvertised updates this week, so I wasn't expecting much but managed to end up slightly disappointed nonetheless. Well, more time to tend to the backlog.

Rauten
28-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Something irks me, though; 25 minutes in, there is a daily, but at least I can't see the weekend deal. Is it just my region (Eu2, I believe), or is it not showing for everyone?

vinraith
28-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Only one game in my library received unadvertised updates this week, so I wasn't expecting much but managed to end up slightly disappointed nonetheless. Well, more time to tend to the backlog.

I hadn't thought to check but that's a good point, adding dozens of achievements to dozens of different games isn't exactly subtle if you know where to look.

Something irks me, though; 25 minutes in, there is a daily, but at least I can't see the weekend deal. Is it just my region (Eu2, I believe), or is it not showing for everyone?

Not showing here either.

Kodeen
28-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm not seeing it either, in either the deal box or the news items at the bottom of the page.