PDA

View Full Version : Steam "Play random game" button.

Tei
24-06-2011, 03:27 PM
From reddit:
http://i.imgur.com/I4QUZ.jpg

I have this problem. A large collection, but I feel bored, and play nothing. Pass my time reading forums, chatting or trolling.

What I need, is a "Play random game" in Steam.

Based on the comment on Reddit, it could be the solution.
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/i7kfr/nothing_to_do/

PLOX HALP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

postdata:
A webpage that read your game collection, and provide this service will help too.

Olero
24-06-2011, 03:32 PM
The big question here is of course: Do I feel like playing a computer game? You won't believe how many times I started my PC, logged on to Steam and then thought; "why the hell did I end up here?", turned off the PC and went doing what I wanted to do... Yeah, I may have issues ;)

cjlr
24-06-2011, 05:13 PM
That's actually a pretty good idea.

I'd suggest filters, though, in addition to a flat random-all. Have a quick set, for when you only want to kill five or twenty minutes or whatever, and some genre sets if you have a bit of an opinion.

It'd be a handy functionality for something like darcadia. Hmmm. I may have to convince someone to begin working on this.

vinraith
24-06-2011, 05:35 PM
This is, indeed, an interesting idea. I'm not sure Steam would be the best platform for it, as it'd necessitate linking all your other games through Steam (which would be a chore). Still, it's one of the few things Steam could implement that might actually motivate me to do that.

Estel
24-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Steam community has an API now, right? I might see if this is possible over the weekend.

Gotem
24-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Well, you can tell steam.exe to launch a game from the command line, it would not be hard to create a small script that does that, maybe the tricky part would be for it to know which apps you have installed.

Malawi Frontier Guard
24-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Have you tried learning an instrument instead?

Jeremy
24-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Yes, you could alleviate your boredom by creating a script to randomize your games... it's perfect.

Vague-rant
24-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Sounds like everyone on RPS has a massive backlog. We could try some kind of gaming club to try out one game a week (if its in your backlog, give it a go for an hour) then comment on it, similar to that One Life Left feature a while ago.

Then again I'm far to lazy to even suggest such a thing.

Rossignol
24-06-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm wondering if we should create an official RPS playlist, like a book club, with more options, and less books.

Like: This week we are playing Shogun 2, Spiral Knights, Dawn Of War 2. Something like that.

Edawan
24-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Too often I've had this problem. 20 game shortcuts on my desktop and nothing that temps me.

Oh look! Progress Quest! I can launch that at least.
Now what...

vinraith
24-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm wondering if we should create an official RPS playlist, like a book club, with more options, and less books.

Like: This week we are playing Shogun 2, Spiral Knights, Dawn Of War 2. Something like that.

That might be interesting. I doubt my own playing would ever synch up with it, as I tend to lag years behind the curve most of the time, but it'd still be interesting to know what you guys were up to.

Gotem
24-06-2011, 09:25 PM
well, you could do something liek that with 'events' in the RPS steam group i guess

Gerbick
24-06-2011, 09:26 PM
That might be interesting. I doubt my own playing would ever synch up with it, as I tend to lag years behind the curve most of the time, but it'd still be interesting to know what you guys were up to.

I'd be the same. But, if the list included a f2p, or browser oddity, or a older 'classic' each time, perhaps those of us who keep wallets firmly shut until incredi-sales could feel included.

Toamouse
24-06-2011, 09:31 PM

Would be interesting, I must admit to owning far far too many games (especially on steam) and I've got a pile building of games I've yet to bother playing. A variant could be a multiplayer part, aka this weekend we'll be playing BRINK etc.

BathroomCitizen
24-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Nice idea! I too have the problem of deciding which game I really do want to play. And, while I cannot decide, I finish spending my time on the forums.

Like now.

EndelNurk
24-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Perhaps the problem of not always having the relevant games could be resolved by picking themes rather than individual games? One Life Left did something similar but I often felt that they were missing out on some titles that connoisseurs of PC games such as your good selves would know well. I cannot quite remember the discussions, but I think I recall thinking more than once that Deus Ex should have been brought up. I'm sure nobody here would have missed that opportunity.

Vague-rant
24-06-2011, 10:29 PM
One Life Left did something similar but I often felt that they were missing out on some titles that connoisseurs of PC games such as your good selves would know well.

One Life Left's had to appeal to more casual gamers, partly because they had some people totally new to games and partly because of time constraints (they were trying 3 games a week...). Something like Deus Ex just wouldn't have really worked.

Also, great idea Jim!

EndelNurk
24-06-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure that's entirely true. Having people new to gaming isn't an appeal to casual players, instead it's a great way of getting a new angle on things. We all know how games work which means we can be either bitter that a game doesn't work as we imagine it should do, or that we can be miss subtle things while charging through the place.

I didn't mean that Deus Ex (or anything of its ilk) should have been a game they played. I meant that it should have been one that was brought up in the discussions by the more experienced gamers that were on the panel as they would have been interesting counterpoints to issues raised in the talks. Context is something that tends to be missing from many discussions of videogames. Part of why I liked the No Continues show was precisely because it provided the opportunity to discuss context and counterpoint. I just feel that opportunity was sometimes missed.

Vague-rant
24-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Fair enough. When I meant "appeal to casual gamers" I meant in the games they played, rather than listeners.

TheTourist314
24-06-2011, 10:56 PM
It would be easy to code a mini-program to load a random steam game. I think Steam has an easy command to load particular games. Just Write something to check your account for which games you have installed, write them into a list. Random number generator, pick game, then load using the command. It's something like steam:\\launchapp something blah de blah. Visual Basic would be a really quick and dirty thing to check this.

Wizardry
24-06-2011, 10:59 PM

I like the idea, but only if I get to dictate things. Perhaps I can bring a new audience to the long dead genre of classic CRPGs!

Oneironaut
24-06-2011, 11:01 PM
How about this?:
http://randomsteamgame.com/

I usually find the solution is to just play something that I've been meaning to play for a while. Even if I don't feel like playing that game at the moment, I can usually get into it after a few minutes.

Estel
24-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Nice site!

Tei
25-06-2011, 04:13 PM
How about this?:

I usually find the solution is to just play something that I've been meaning to play for a while. Even if I don't feel like playing that game at the moment, I can usually get into it after a few minutes.

Thanks!

I will try this one.

DarkNoghri
25-06-2011, 04:25 PM
How about this?:

That's actually pretty cool, but because it's a web app, there's no way for it to tell what games you have installed.

While it's nifty that it can randomly choose Hitman: Blood Money for me, the whole point is that I'm looking for something to do now, not an hour from now when it's installed.

sabrage
25-06-2011, 09:02 PM
It seems randomsteamgame is a better option, but Backloggery also has a "Pick random game" function ("My Backloggery">"Fortune Cookie") and it works cross-platform and for non-Steam games too.

Basilicus
26-06-2011, 12:00 AM
I've been knocking out other franchises or shorter games that are easier to finish and get out of the way.

For instance, I did the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider trilogy - it was very fulfilling doing the whole thing 1-2-3 straight through with no other games cutting in. Now, I'm pushing the Rainbow Six Vegas ones out the door. Finished the first in 10 hours; I expect the second to be about the same.

The other thing to do is to theme your playthroughs. For instance, I just played MW2 again (I still maintain it's a good game) and I'm running through the new Medal of Honor as a comparison. It's neat to contrast the two games back-to-back like that, especially while running the fundamentally different R6 Vegas concurrently. I used to think it wouldn't be any fun to run similar games at the same time, but now I find it's a great experience for the more analytical gamer.

I also recommend getting away from the computer. Gaming (like any media-oriented activity, really) is much more rewarding when it serves as a counterpoint to a social life.

One more thing - train yourself up on a game. I've been returning to Chessmaster now and again as I train myself up to be a better chess player. It even relates to a skill I can port to the real world, which means when I'm just lazy and bored, I can strike up a game of chess and still be progressing on something that bridges gaming and the dreaded "real world."

Jake
26-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem. I have a huge amount of games to play, and I am sure I will enjoy most of them, but still I generally just look at my Steam list and sigh before going back to browsing the web aimlessly. A widget with a setting that can pick a game based on how long you have would be cool too, so it doesn't suggest Civ if you only have 30 mins.

Part of the problem is that it can be a pretty insular experience playing a game and a game club would alleviate that I think. Playing something popular and current you can probably talk to friends who are playing it too, but playing something more obscure or older - it would be cool to have people to discuss it with.

JamesG
15-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Performing a bit of thread necromancy to throw in this little program (Via PCG):
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ipm5k/i_made_an_im_feeling_lucky_button_for_steam/

I haven't given it a try yet.

Gentleman Jim Stacey
16-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Its so weird and completely illogical but I feel that way too.

I want to play 20 different things so I play nothing.

icupnimpn2
16-07-2011, 05:12 AM
Nice idea! I too have the problem of deciding which game I really do want to play. And, while I cannot decide, I finish spending my time on the forums.

Like now.

hello soul twin

Ninjafoodstuff
20-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I've been knocking out other franchises or shorter games that are easier to finish and get out of the way.

For instance, I did the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider trilogy - it was very fulfilling doing the whole thing 1-2-3 straight through with no other games cutting in. Now, I'm pushing the Rainbow Six Vegas ones out the door. Finished the first in 10 hours; I expect the second to be about the same.

The other thing to do is to theme your playthroughs. For instance, I just played MW2 again (I still maintain it's a good game) and I'm running through the new Medal of Honor as a comparison. It's neat to contrast the two games back-to-back like that, especially while running the fundamentally different R6 Vegas concurrently. I used to think it wouldn't be any fun to run similar games at the same time, but now I find it's a great experience for the more analytical gamer.

I also recommend getting away from the computer. Gaming (like any media-oriented activity, really) is much more rewarding when it serves as a counterpoint to a social life.

One more thing - train yourself up on a game. I've been returning to Chessmaster now and again as I train myself up to be a better chess player. It even relates to a skill I can port to the real world, which means when I'm just lazy and bored, I can strike up a game of chess and still be progressing on something that bridges gaming and the dreaded "real world."

I know this is an old thread, but this is really good advice! I've been going through my Steam library and categorising games by mood which helps with this issue a lot. I've also found that uninstalling games I don't like or have no intention to ever play also helps.

But your comment about finding a game that translates to the real world has really made me think. My big problem with MMOs is that whenever I've tried any MMO it has inevitably left me feeling that I just wasted my life and got nothing useful out of it, in a way I don't typically get with single-player games.

I'm not a chess fan, so for me the next best thing perhaps is Magic the Gathering, but I wouldn't say that has much real world value.

Althea
20-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it would not actually change a lot? What I think would happen - at least for me - is that I'd press it, a game would load and I'd just go "No, I don't want to play that".

Berzee
20-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it would not actually change a lot? What I think would happen - at least for me - is that I'd press it, a game would load and I'd just go "No, I don't want to play that".

Yah, I was thinkin' that too. =P
*world weary sigh*

Smashbox
20-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Now that the thread's revived, I second this!

Citruspunch
20-10-2011, 05:45 PM
On a tangent, I wish Steam had a 'Resume game' option so you could skip all the start up crap and just have the game load up right where you left off. It wouldn't work for every game out there but it's possible if included from the start.

icupnimpn2
20-10-2011, 06:28 PM
On a tangent, I wish Steam had a 'Resume game' option so you could skip all the start up crap and just have the game load up right where you left off. It wouldn't work for every game out there but it's possible if included from the start.

For a couple of years I played Nintendo DS games almost exclusively because I could just close it and then open it to pick back up again. When staring at my choices of what game to play, I almost always pick Desktop Dungeons or Puzzle Quest since they're quick to start and stop. But I would love to play something else. The wind up, wind down times with forced NVIDIA ads on my ATI machine limit my decision.

Nalano
20-10-2011, 06:43 PM
If you're sitting in front of a computer feeling bored, stop sitting in front of the computer.

Kadayi
20-10-2011, 06:58 PM

Rebel FM did do something along these lines a long time back where in they'd play say Hitman: Blood Money over 3 weeks (chapters 1-4 the first week, 5 - 9 the next, and 10 - 14 the last for example) and then do a podcast section all about it. They only did a few chapters a week as obviously everyone's on different time schedules and commitments, but it was pretty entertaining.

I think it might be a good idea, though obviously it's reliant of people participating.

riadsala
20-10-2011, 08:36 PM
If you're sitting in front of a computer feeling bored, stop sitting in front of the computer.

This, a thousand times over. Some of you are making "playing computer games" sound like a chore, what with this thread and the "how big is your backlog." It's something you do for fun, relaxation, interest.

If it's not hitting those buttons, maybe you need to do something else for a while. After all, while computer games are pretty diverse, they're still ALL computer games.

Nalano
20-10-2011, 08:47 PM
This, a thousand times over. Some of you are making "playing computer games" sound like a chore, what with this thread and the "how big is your backlog." It's something you do for fun, relaxation, interest.

If it's not hitting those buttons, maybe you need to do something else for a while. After all, while computer games are pretty diverse, they're still ALL computer games.

What I'm trying to figure out is why anybody, in this day and age, is ever bored, and I'm not even talking about the size of our entertainment industry.

There is too much shit going on in the world to warrant sitting on your haunches and pouting that you have nothing to stimulate you. Seriously. This is the point where your parents would throw you outside and lock the door until dinner time.

Tuggy Tug
20-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Just have to say that I loved the pic/comic strip in the op. Nice one.

elephant god
21-10-2011, 12:14 AM
I have the same problem as the OP, occasionally. One attempt at a solution was to actually organise my games. i put quite an effort in that, and at some point, steam just removed all the categories I created. (I based it on the "Hot Manshoots"/"Indie Lagoon" idea from a while ago) Is there some way to make steam remember my categorisations?

Drake Sigar
21-10-2011, 12:23 AM
What I'm trying to figure out is why anybody, in this day and age, is ever bored, and I'm not even talking about the size of our entertainment industry.

There is too much shit going on in the world to warrant sitting on your haunches and pouting that you have nothing to stimulate you. Seriously. This is the point where your parents would throw you outside and lock the door until dinner time.
This new generation doesn’t know how good they’ve got it. Remember back when all we had for entertainment was the local pond frogspawn and our sibling’s unguarded beverage? Good times.

Nalano
21-10-2011, 01:15 AM
and our sibling’s unguarded beverage?

And if you weren't fast enough, you got a fork stabbed right in your hand!

Kids these days got it so easy...

TailSwallower
21-10-2011, 02:31 AM

I would also get involved in something like this.

I guess there's no reason why it couldn't just be run by members of the forum community, but I'm guessing it would be more popular/successful if the RPS writers were involved and posted about it on the front page.

I have the same problem as the OP, occasionally. One attempt at a solution was to actually organise my games. i put quite an effort in that, and at some point, steam just removed all the categories I created. (I based it on the "Hot Manshoots"/"Indie Lagoon" idea from a while ago) Is there some way to make steam remember my categorisations?

I'm guessing it happened after a Steam update?

I've categorised all my games too, so I hope Steam doesn't regularly forget them.

Kelron
21-10-2011, 03:05 AM
I sorted all my Steam games into categories once, but I logged in on my laptop and it decided that it should put all my games back in their old category rather than update the laptop client with the new ones.

Game club idea - something similar was started on the PCG forums, where everyone would vote on a game to play and talk about each week. I thought the idea initially was to get people to try games they wouldn't have otherwise - lesser known games or old classics from GoG. In practice everyone just voted for the games they already knew and liked and would probably have played anyway, so I lost interest.

TailSwallower
21-10-2011, 04:41 AM
Game club idea - something similar was started on the PCG forums, where everyone would vote on a game to play and talk about each week. I thought the idea initially was to get people to try games they wouldn't have otherwise - lesser known games or old classics from GoG. In practice everyone just voted for the games they already knew and liked and would probably have played anyway, so I lost interest.

Well, recently people have been lamenting their massive backlogs of unplayed or barely-touched games, so perhaps the Game Club could focus on some of these titles? Though then it runs the risk of becoming "Let's play the game that Steam has on sale/had on sale last week."

Fumarole
21-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Like: This week we are playing Shogun 2, Spiral Knights, Dawn Of War 2. Something like that.The Brainy Gamer does this with old games.

http://www.vintagegameclub.org/

squareking
21-10-2011, 04:38 PM
And if you weren't fast enough, you got a fork stabbed right in your hand!

Kids these days got it so easy...

Bah! You had all the luck! In my day, we didn't have hands!

Juan Carlo
21-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I'd be up for a "game of the week" club.

It'd be like Oprah's Book of the Month club, only with slightly less rape.