PDA

View Full Version : How much do you game?

Tikey
24-06-2011, 08:38 PM
As in what time do you spend playing.
I've found that between working, studying and trying to spend time with the girlfriend I tend to game very little, and I'm wondering how do other people manage to find time to play.
I really like gaming, and I honestly don't know how my friends manage to play as much as they do.

Alex Bakke
24-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Oof, let's see. Something like 70 hours on Steam, over the past two weeks. I'm not sure how accurate that is, as the steamhours calculator is notoriously inaccurate.

Vague-rant
24-06-2011, 08:52 PM
More than I should, less than I'd like.

Basically, I'm in the same position with extremely limited play time. Even limited time to read RPS over the past few months, especially with some major exams recently. I probably only had a game of Desktop Dungeons(20mins)/week for the past 2 months. But more normally like 5-15 hours/week I guess.

Rossignol
24-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Well, it's basically my job, but I reckon I spend a couple of hours playing a game each day. When I played Eve obsessively (and before that Quake III) it was about ten times that. On the rare (oh so rare) occasions I get a full free day, I can happily to ten hour stretches, but that happens about twice a year now.

vinraith
24-06-2011, 09:15 PM
On average? Maybe an hour a day. The reality is that it's incredibly scattershot, though. Some weeks I don't get to play anything at all, others I average 4 or 5 hours a day, it just depends on 1) whether there's a game I'm intensely into at the time and 2) what else is going on in my life.

The JG Man
24-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Really depends on what I've got going on. With it being the summer and having absolutely nothing to do (that's a lie, I'm still a student, so I have things I should be doing) thanks to people being busy or away and what-not, a lot.

In an average week, I'm gonna say about 20 hours, maybe closer towards 25. Couldn't say for sure. God damn that's a lot, really, isn't it? I think I need a girlfriend.

Kadayi
24-06-2011, 10:00 PM
I tend to play in sustained spurts. If I'm really into a game I'll probably put in as much free time as I can into it for 3-4 days (couple of hours if it's a weekday..longer if it's a weekend and I'm not elsewhere), but then generally I'll have a couple of quiet days/evenings in between the next spurt to decompress (and catch up with TV, news etc, etc). For instance on Wednesday I wrapped up chapter 1 of The Witcher 2, but haven't quite felt the urge to pile fully into chapter 2 just yet. That's more a weekend challenge when exploring the new location makes more sense. Plus I've learnt to recognize when I'm mentally tired (work's been draining) and gaming when you are spent is never much fun.

Led Zeppelin
24-06-2011, 10:08 PM
about 25-40 hours a week

Creeping Death
24-06-2011, 10:08 PM
These days, maybe about 3 hours on evening on average?

I miss my student years, when I averaged about 30-40 hours a week :(

imirk
24-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Right, so I wrote a long winded tirade about how "game" is a noun and when used as a verb it refers to gambling, so the proper question is "How much time do you spend playing PC Games?", then realised that you are from Argentina and likely did not have 12+ years of English instruction on top of full cultural immersion. You are thus exempted.

To anwer the question, close to 2-4 hours weekly.

Wizardry
24-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Less than an hour a week on average over the past year.

Poindexter
24-06-2011, 10:14 PM
I currently average about 3-4 hours a weekday evening, and zero on the weekends. That's mainly because I work a typical 9am-5pm job, whereas my wife works a 3pm-10:30pm job, so I have lots of time during the week to game, but I'd rather spend my weekends with my wife. In a few months, my wife expects to move to a slightly more normal job; I expect my weekly times to drop a bit and my weekend times to increase then.

lostrootpass
24-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Er, about half an hour a week? Maybe? I'm generally too busy to play games these days, and most of my free time that I would have spent gaming has been replaced with a rekindled love for books.

My games backlog is easily >1000 hours (quite a few lengthy RPGs), so it'll take me a long time to get caught up at this rate.

GothicEmperor
24-06-2011, 10:17 PM
I think I average out 3 hours a day. That's counting in the days were I played on for 10 hours a day, and the occasional week were I go without. But mostly, it's about 3 hours a day. Yeah, I'm a law student, got way too much spare time so I just randomly decide to do things :/

Rii
24-06-2011, 10:46 PM
It comes and goes. I'm on a Nintendo junket at the moment brought on by the (re)acquisition of a Wii brought on in turn by Nintendo's announcement that Wii U will be compatible with Wii games and accessories. My film/lit diet is suffering. :(

Fortunately there's currently a bit of a lull in PC releases else I'd really be in trouble.

Kablooie
25-06-2011, 12:30 AM
About 5-6 hours a day.

I don't watch TV anymore, really. I loathe reality shows and sitcoms, sooooooo - not many choices left. If there's even a NFL season this year, maybe that.

So all my time is on the computer, save for DvD's, occasional walks, etc.

mlaskus
25-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Way too much. I'm a computer science student and I can usually get away with doing little to no work, so I'm free to indulge.
I would say it's at least two hours a day, often more.

Today I celebrated the end of the academic year by playing whole day. I still have exams ahead of me, but I'm pretty confident I won't have to study a lot to ace them.

OctaneHugo
25-06-2011, 01:05 AM
I used to play pretty consistently, 2-4 hours a night if I wasn't preoccupied by something else that would take up that much time, but now I go through phases - been doing it for the past 2 years now. There are weeks where I don't play games much at all, and then there are times where I return to that old schedule, although it really has no relation to what else I'm doing in life. I just either feel like playing games or I don't. That's probably why I have such a huge backlog.

Steam says I've logged 35 hours the past 2 weeks and that's probably accurate, I've been gaming a lot since mid-May for whatever reason. Probably because I've picked Darkest Hour back up and started playing League of Legends and Spiral Knights.

Skalpadda
25-06-2011, 01:46 AM
I'd guess between 20-30 hours per week. Steam says 44,5 hours over the last two weeks, then add maybe 2 hours of Starcraft 2 and 10 or so hours of WoW on top of that.

somini
25-06-2011, 04:18 AM
Less than I wanted...Why do I have to sleep? And why does Steam sales have to exist? :(

Gerbick
25-06-2011, 12:21 PM
According to Steam, 46 hours in the past 2 weeks. Which is probably quite accurate, with 3 hours or so a night. Very occasionally, usually during holidays (term-time working is marvellous) I put in an all-nighter and will play from 9pm to around 5am. But I haven't done this for a while, and it largely depends on the games I have going on at the time.

MashPotato
25-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Lately, probably less than two hours a week (I tend to play games in binges, and I'm in a lull right now ;) )

westyfield
25-06-2011, 11:44 PM
A few hours a day. Less in the last month or two - exams have put paid to much of my free time. I also spend more time surfing the Internet than I used to, so overall my PC gaming hours have been reduced. I hope to get back into a number of MP games (mostly BF2 PR and ArmA2) once exams are over, so my hours might shoot up then.

Jake
26-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Used to be 5-10 hours every day when I was mainlining WoW, but now hardly anything - a few hours a week max.

NecroKnight
27-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Currenty I spend circa 14 hours a week playing computer games.

Olero
27-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I only seem to play games when my girlfriend is not at home, which is some 10 hours a week at max. And that's about the time I want to spent on gaming anyway, if I play more (especially on long stretches) I have trouble sleeping afterwards... I probably sound like an old twat now, do I? ;)

Lukasz
27-06-2011, 11:46 AM
20-25 hours per week. once every three or so weeks. i tend to game a lot in few days time then take a break for a longer period of time...

Rossi
27-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Depends on my mood. Somedays no gaming at all, others it'll be a 12 hour stint. Also I don't have much patience for single player games so tend to wait until a friend is available to come along for the ride.

Jams O'Donnell
27-06-2011, 02:16 PM
About three hours per week. Sob!

Cooper
27-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Really depends on the week. Last week, maybe about 10 hours. Weeks when I don't have much on, up to 50 in the week. I'm a PhD student, so my free time fluctuates a hell of a lot.

Also, I tend to watch no tele, and reading so much for the PhD has made it really difficult to find any enjoyment out of reading fiction. Gaming tends to fill my leisure time if I'm not in the pub.

J-snukk
27-06-2011, 04:17 PM
If steam is accurate I'm doing about 30 hours a week, dayum.