PDA

View Full Version : Terraria

Kody94
03-06-2011, 04:38 PM
In response to this article (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/02/a-smurf-in-terraria-part-one/) I just wanted to say a few things:
-The Official Wiki (http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Terraria_Wiki) is much better and trustworthy than the fan-made one.
-True to popular belief, the game is at least 71x better when played with friends. Maybe 72x.
-Servers are incredibly easy to start up, and require little RAM to maintain (unlike Minecraft....sigh) especially if you use Hamachi.
-The grappling hook is great.
-The game is being updated constantly.
-I would love to play with some RPSers some time. :)

Simon
03-06-2011, 04:41 PM
i will play you if you gift it me

ComradePenguin
03-06-2011, 04:44 PM
I to would like to play with some other RPSers now I have armour etc. There is already a steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSTerraria) though it currently seems a touch inactive.

J-snukk
03-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Playing with one's girlfriend is a rewarding and epeen building experience.

Berlin
03-06-2011, 06:45 PM
I spent almost 20 hours with this thing and I'm terribly disappointed. It's looking well, I admit, but sounds dull and those two tracks goin' on a loop for more than an hour made me play with Foobar running in the background, and - what's more important - the gameplay isn't anywhere as fun as it was promised to be. I know that the multiplayer's cool, or at least it seems so, but I have no time in my life for multiplayer and I don't really want to set up servers, make my friends join (and but the game...), nor I want to join anybody else's servers. Single-player wise this game made me fall asleep after two hours played straight and it was a problem 'cause I had to write a review quickly... So yeah, it was painful.

But well, my problem is that this game takes FOREVER to become interesting. It's digging and digging and hitting skeletons with a pickaxe for 10 hours and you still don't get even half of the stuff they thrown in to the trailers.

Or maybe I don't understand what's so special about this game when it really did sell 200,000 copies in a week?

vinraith
03-06-2011, 06:51 PM
The stuff RPS has written about this game makes it sound very interesting, the gameplay videos make it look very uninteresting. A 2d Minecraft with a sense of progression and a lot of stuff to find/make is a very interesting thing to me, a Metroidvania side scrolling action game is not. I can't seem to get a clear read on what this game really is.

Ghil
03-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Well it's not Minecraft in 2d. yes, you can build houses but the exploration part of the game is the focus here. It's a metroidvania with a minecraft touch, an exploration and fight game that uses a deep crafting system as the basis for it's upgrades.

I suggest trying it out, it really is incredible. :)

QuantaCat
03-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Terraria is a bit like.. playing Myst if it were a D'ni childs-tutorial to creating fun worlds.

The reason I say that is, because you create worlds, then you enter servers with worlds of their own, but it is the same character. Your inventory nor status nor anything is "left behind", you leave behind what you really leave behind.

What this translates to me is that you have as many "homeworlds" as you want, with each their own inventory and look and whatever, and you can then join a server to interact with players, and carve out a world together. you could even log off, and fetch something from a homeworld, then log on again to produce it there.

Hence the Myst-kind of feel. In Myst, worlds are written by people that have that gift, entire civilizations created with dangers, marvels, and so on. (even though they dont really write the worlds, they just operate on the principle that you "link" to an existing world, and there are infinite number of alternate realities) So basically, even though Myst is nothing about combat or leveling or mining or building or whatever, as a game in a game, it definitely feels like it.

Tei
03-06-2011, 08:22 PM
I agree with the Myst idea. On Terraria you are somewhat like a "planar traveller".

Kody94
03-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Yeah that's a good way to describe it. Unlike Minecraft you don't have to start over every time you want to play with friends/make a new world.

Kelron
03-06-2011, 10:51 PM
I spent almost 20 hours with this thing and I'm terribly disappointed. It's looking well, I admit, but sounds dull and those two tracks goin' on a loop for more than an hour made me play with Foobar running in the background, and - what's more important - the gameplay isn't anywhere as fun as it was promised to be. I know that the multiplayer's cool, or at least it seems so, but I have no time in my life for multiplayer and I don't really want to set up servers, make my friends join (and but the game...), nor I want to join anybody else's servers. Single-player wise this game made me fall asleep after two hours played straight and it was a problem 'cause I had to write a review quickly... So yeah, it was painful.

But well, my problem is that this game takes FOREVER to become interesting. It's digging and digging and hitting skeletons with a pickaxe for 10 hours and you still don't get even half of the stuff they thrown in to the trailers.

Or maybe I don't understand what's so special about this game when it really did sell 200,000 copies in a week?

Hmm? 20-25 hours was enough for me to see most of what the game has to offer. I was playing with a friend for most of that time, but it increases the number of enemies accordingly in multiplayer. I loved the exploration and progression, delving into caves and hunting ore. Once I actually had the fancy stuff shown in the trailers it became a lot less fun, because I'm not interested in trying to build giant gold castles for no reason other than showing off.

Harlander
03-06-2011, 10:58 PM
I had much the same experience as Kelron - there was a great sense of impetus to gather fancy things and make fancy tools and armour, but once I'd achieved that, it fell a little flat.

I'll keep an eye and see what gets added with patches

Kelron
04-06-2011, 12:15 AM
I did glance over their dev blogs with vague plans for the future. They had some interesting ideas to extend the challenge, such as alternative dimensions and larger invasions with rival towns being built.

Ashkin
04-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Terraria is nice. I was addicted to it for a week, playing on a server with a friend. But I feel that there's a problem with it. A sandbox game can't be a sandbox game with so much DIRECTION. The tiered system of armor and weapons, the new areas to explore- they're all just something to build up to, rather than something you might get to make the job of building easier. This game isn't about building- it's about exploring. There's nothing wrong with that, but I was looking forward to something more long-lasting. Perhaps my designs for a two-dimensional Minecraft game aren't all for naught.

amishmonster
04-06-2011, 01:12 AM
I quite enjoy the Myst viewpoint. I've actually restarted my worlds three times now as I slowly figure out what the game is about. I was put off at first, but once I moved to a small-size world and looked at a few things on the wiki, I'm excited to see more.

I do wish there was more direction inside the game; the wiki's nice, but I have had a fair number of things "spoiled" for me as a result. Of course, without some of those spoilers I'd have no idea what to work towards, so it's a bit of a catch-22.

Kody94
04-06-2011, 02:39 AM
I quite enjoy the Myst viewpoint. I've actually restarted my worlds three times now as I slowly figure out what the game is about. I was put off at first, but once I moved to a small-size world and looked at a few things on the wiki, I'm excited to see more.

I do wish there was more direction inside the game; the wiki's nice, but I have had a fair number of things "spoiled" for me as a result. Of course, without some of those spoilers I'd have no idea what to work towards, so it's a bit of a catch-22.

That's exactly what my situation was when I got the game; I wasn't sure exactly what the features of the game were until I browsed the wiki and learned a lot of things that would have been nice to learn on my own, but it did help me immensely. I've just acquired full Necro armor and I'm saving up some Hellstone but I think I'm going to take a break from adventuring and build a giant Biosphere-type city.

QuantaCat
04-06-2011, 07:54 AM
I think thats one of the reasons why Multiplayer is so highly prized. My experience on that RPS server a while ago taught me a lot about the game, and the people were so nice! It was awesome having that experience, even though I had to go and create more and new tunnels. (it actually never became boring because I played in one or two hour bursts, and I always looked for something different in a world)

Now, I think Myst, Terraria and that procedurally single-but-meta-player space exploration game Noctis should have a bastard child.

Hm. I think I just described what I could put in my starcontrolesque.. nevermind! secrets! :D

Tiger Walts
04-06-2011, 09:35 AM
I too was hesitant when I realised that I'd have to <a href="http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Terraria_Wiki">RTFW</a>. I was going to be stuck swatting away slimes, zombies and flying eyes for hours without being given any direction. The quicksandbox effect. Reading the wiki would stop that from happening but I knew I was going to ruin the joy of discovery. There's nothing that matches the joy of finding a brand new artifact in a chest, where you have no idea what it does and you get to play with it, experiment with it and try new equipment builds. That's all part of the discovery process. Sure you get the same sence of discovey and wonderment reading the wiki, but the feeling is fleeting, maybe an hour of fulfillment condensed into the time it takes you to read the wiki entry. Armed with that knowledge you know exactly what to do with an item when you find it, organic discovery resolved into a logical deduction. It's not how a sandbox game should be played.

What Terraria needs is a way to hint and tease you into exploring the world, its systems and its mechanics from within the game world or at least the game client. The guide NPC goes some way to get you going but it's not enough. Minecraft is trying to solve the problem with it's achievement tree. Could something similar work for Terraria? Could the crafting interface be changed to hint at items you can nearly build. Could all the NPCs offer up dialogue in context to what items/ores you have gained and what types of monsters you have killed. Could they offer advice if you keep dying in a particular way or to a certain monster/boss. If the player can set new goals for themselves using information learned in the game or from other players and without having to go read a webpage then so much the better. Terraria does actually do this in a few places, it just needs to do it a lot more.

Lightbulb
04-06-2011, 01:18 PM
I think it needs the barest element of a plot.

As in the amount Metroid had - find X or kill X.

Like I don't know... get to the underworld to return your loved on to life. Defeat the 5 demons to save your world. Something like that. Otherwise its just get loot to get loot to get loot...

Rossignol
04-06-2011, 02:52 PM
What's the deal with the multiplayer aspect of this game? Anyone know?

Rakysh
04-06-2011, 03:00 PM
What's the deal? You keep your sp character, and there tends to be a fairly good infrastructure of NPCs and forts around the place, and collaborative exploration is a lot of fun. Bigger projects are easier to make and maintain, although briefing is possible (whoever spread the corruption to the spawn in the old Iceraiser server is a scumbag).

StrangLove
04-06-2011, 03:06 PM
What's the deal with the multiplayer aspect of this game? Anyone know?

It's tremendously fun. We've got an unofficial server up (83.226.176.41, port 7777, password is three letters and lower case, and incredibly obvious), courtesy of IceRaiser, the lovable Swede.

Goblin invasions become so much more fun when you're playing with friends/comrades/mortal enemies. There's nothing more rewarding than holding off hordes of goblins with your friends/comrades/mortal enemies, other than rocket boots.

QuantaCat
04-06-2011, 03:56 PM
If you feel aimless in the world, then the game is not for you. I guess its that that it shares with the minecrafty games.

Lightbulb
04-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Well...

I have a full set of Hellstone items. I'm thinking of going to the dungeon.

But what's the point?

I'll just find some more items.

If I knew of the existence of the Skeleton boss by some means other than the wiki I might be inclined to seek it out. If there was an in game quest to find out how to fight him I might be more interested.

I'm enjoying it but it could be better with the tiniest hint of a point.

Its NOT like Minecraft because building isn't fun. Its like Metroid - and Super Metroid is possibly my favourite ever game - but it lacks an objective.

IMO would be much better if it was like say, Diablo - kill the big boss at the end. Need not be more involved and fundamentally wouldn't affect anyone who wants to play it as the currently play it.

Basically its not a deep enough sandbox to be compelling.

Kelron
04-06-2011, 06:52 PM
I really think reading the wiki from the off has ruined it for a lot of people. I went in with a vague idea of what the game contained from LP videos, but other than that it was me and a friend working it out for ourselves. We found crafting recipes by filling our inventories with all the junk we had and seeing what came out, we fought our first boss because I was running around underground chucking dynamite at stuff to see what happened. Your objective is the progression, you want to equip yourself to survive, you want to be able to take on the giant monsters and bend the world to your will. That's why it runs out of steam when there's no progression left, but it's still a hugely enjoyable game up to that point.

Lightbulb
04-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Oh don't get me wrong I played it solid for a day and a half...

Not done that since...

Minecraft actually :)

Gonna hang out on the RPS unofficial server I think.

Lukasz
04-06-2011, 11:04 PM
"Mhhm. I guess I should check out Terraria's RPS server"
"Cool bulding I wonder... HOLY SHIT!"
*Giant Eye attacks*
*Dies fifty times*
"Okay. it's over let's..."
*Army of goblins attacks from the west*
*Dies fifty times*
*Also: double bloodmoon*

most intense 20 min I had played in a while of any game. Next time i guess i need my character to wear and use better equipment than iron sword and iron bow with wooden arrows...

was fun even tough I was completely useless.

StrangLove
04-06-2011, 11:07 PM
"Mhhm. I guess I should check out Terraria's RPS server"
"Cool bulding I wonder... HOLY SHIT!"
*Giant Eye attacks*
*Dies fifty times*
"Okay. it's over let's..."
*Army of goblins attacks from the west*
*Dies fifty times*
*Also: double bloodmoon*

most intense 20 min I had played in a while of any game. Next time i guess i need my character to wear and use better equipment than iron sword and iron bow with wooden arrows...

was fun even tough I was completely useless.

Trust me when I say that it's not usually that hectic. I've never had a bloodmoon-goblin-bloodmoon before. It's insane fun :D

SilverSilence
05-06-2011, 06:45 AM
So is that RPS server still around? Anyone interested in hosting one?

DarkNoghri
05-06-2011, 07:48 AM
It's tremendously fun. We've got an unofficial server up (83.226.176.41, port 7777, password is three letters and lower case, and incredibly obvious), courtesy of IceRaiser, the lovable Swede.

rumpus is six letters. I'm confused.

:P

StrangLove
05-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Sliversilence:

SilverSilence
05-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Sliversilence:

Yeah just saw that. Hopped on for a bit earlier and it was great fun :)

Sonny B
05-06-2011, 04:06 PM
I May just have to go on later. :o

QuantaCat
05-06-2011, 06:31 PM
also I finally posted the IP to the steam group. can the person that started it please make it an announcement?

The Innocent
05-06-2011, 07:01 PM
This game is amazing. We've put together a group of six in a big world, and each of us have a small world in addition. We hop between worlds, strip-mining the small world to fuel our expansion in our big world. We feel like exploitative D'ni badasses.

We also have a strict no-wiki policy, so we're bumbling around and figuring things out for ourselves. We recently figured out how to summon the you-know-what, and that was an amazingly gory good time.

QuantaCat
05-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Hail to the D'ni!

EDIT: I also just found out you can set the resolution to 1920*1080. Ive been playing in 800*600 all this time! (windowed though)

The Innocent
05-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Ha, I only recently discovered the same thing. It was tremendously liberating to suddenly be playing at 1680x1050 after that tiny window. Unfortunately, now part of the illusion is shattered because I can see far enough that I notice enemies spawning within my field of view. Oh well, still love the game.

lunarplasma
06-06-2011, 12:26 PM
This thread is making me want to get the game and join the RPS server.

Lukasz
06-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Today I killed my first boss! Stupid eye tried to ambush me when I was building a new village. It sucked for him that I was preparing for that fight.

Kody94
06-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Today I killed my first boss! Stupid eye tried to ambush me when I was building a new village. It sucked for him that I was preparing for that fight.
Hah, nice. My first boss fight was when I crafted a Suspicious Looking Eye at my SP demon altar and brought it on my buddy's server. I just mined for a bit until he logged on then I summoned it. My friend had 110 hp and a full set of copper armor. XD We then proceeded to slaughter the Eye in an epic battle that literally lasted all night. It was 3:30 am when we finally finished him.

Goblin Invasion has to have been the most fun I had on multiplayer, though.

Jeremy
06-06-2011, 09:28 PM
So, is this server up at all times? I'm from the states, so it would be great to jump on and check the place out if at all possible.

StrangLove
06-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Jeremy: pretty much.

Tom OBedlam
06-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I picked up the game over the weekend and so far I'm just exploring the SP and having a lovely time. As some people have mentioned here, I'm a little worried about the end game thats looming at me at the moment. I've still got some way to go with upgrading all my gear and I've not found many of these special items yet, so there's still plenty to busy myself with at the moment. If you're like me and not massively into the construction side of things, how much does the single player have to offer once you've hit top tier?

Also, I only seem to get mobs spawn above ground near meteorites and corruption or during bloodmoons, so I can only ever fight the eye of cthulhu when he spawns randomly. Is that normal?

Kody94
06-06-2011, 11:58 PM
@Jeremy: Yeah, I connected from Arizona at about 4:30 p.m. and got zero lag.

@Tom: I'm not exactly end-game (still haven't found an underground jungle and still 2 pieces away from full molten) but at full Necro, Shadow, and Meteor armor + Muramasa and Minishark (btw Minishark is not worth the 50 gold, except as a fun novelty item to use on friends during pvp) it is slowing down quite a bit. I'm really hoping the developers live up to their promise of more and more fulfilling end-game content. Multiplayer and construction is still quite satisfying at the moment, though.

Mihkel
07-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Am i wrong or is this 2D Minecraft?

StrangLove
07-06-2011, 12:14 AM
You're wrong.

Tom OBedlam
07-06-2011, 12:53 AM

Totally, yup :)

It couldn't be any more definately inspired by minecraft but I think Tei nailed it best with "Minecraft is a great sandbox. Terraria is a great game"

Kody94
07-06-2011, 03:33 AM
If Minecraft was lag-free, nearly bug-free, was more adventure based, had bosses, more satisfying mobs, and useful items, then yes it would be a 2d Minecraft.

In other words: yes, you're wrong.

soldant
07-06-2011, 04:10 AM
how much does the single player have to offer once you've hit top tier?
Not much. Once you've seen all the environments, been through all the events, and collected most of the gear, there isn't a great deal else to do except build.

Also, I only seem to get mobs spawn above ground near meteorites and corruption or during bloodmoons, so I can only ever fight the eye of cthulhu when he spawns randomly. Is that normal?
As more NPCs move in they'll extend the range from your base that monsters aren't allowed to spawn (or something like that), you'll need to leave your base to see them show up. Bloodmoons are the exception obviously. Also IIRC the Eye should only appear randomly if you haven't defeated it before and have over 200HP, or maybe after smashing a Shadow Orb?

Tom OBedlam
07-06-2011, 05:19 PM
I'd read about the NPCs pushing the boundries back but I've treked the whole map at night and no beasties appear. Odd. Maybe I'll try a new world.

btw, which webcomic is your avatar from? I read it a few years back and I've been trying to find it since but can't remember the name for the life of me.

CWalker
07-06-2011, 05:33 PM
btw, which webcomic is your avatar from? I read it a few years back and I've been trying to find it since but can't remember the name for the life of me.

Gone with the Blastwave!
http://www.blastwave-comic.com/

Tom OBedlam
07-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Aces, cheers matey

Aww still only 46 episodes :(

squareking
08-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Several props are due to Gunny for helping me obtain materials for a Flamarang.

Izzmatazz
10-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Ok, love this game, so much fun but I'm struggling to keep it going here. Im fully gold armoured, typical forged melee weaps, chain claw etc...

When do I start making other stuff? I've just entered a jungle area and picked up some bits, but nothing!? Just feel like I'm digging forever!

Have I missed something?

p.s. Been avoiding using the wiki

BenWah
10-06-2011, 06:43 PM
If you found the jungle area, kill a whole bunch of maneaters and you'll find good stuff.
You can also make good stuff from the jungle rose and stinger you find but you need a lot

Izzmatazz
10-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks! I'll keep at it then!

SilverSilence
11-06-2011, 09:33 AM
New world on the server? :'(

soldant
11-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Have I missed something?
Visited corruption and smashed shadow orbs? Dug down towards underworld/hellzone? Defeated the bosses?
Gold armour plus similar weapons pretty much qualifies you to take on the harder challenges, like pretty much all the boss fights and further exploration. From there most people prepare to go down and mine hellstone for top tier armour and item creation.

Izzmatazz
11-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Visited corruption and smashed shadow orbs? Dug down towards underworld/hellzone? Defeated the bosses?
Gold armour plus similar weapons pretty much qualifies you to take on the harder challenges, like pretty much all the boss fights and further exploration. From there most people prepare to go down and mine hellstone for top tier armour and item creation.

No, I just seem to be digging forever. I keep seeing screens of with folk snorkeld up, wearing fancy attire etc. Was mainly wondering if I was doing something wrong. I refuse to drop by the wiki as I don't want to spoil anything. Been at it 22 hours and getting miffed but will keep on with it!

Lukasz
11-06-2011, 12:46 PM
No, I just seem to be digging forever. I keep seeing screens of with folk snorkeld up, wearing fancy attire etc. Was mainly wondering if I was doing something wrong. I refuse to drop by the wiki as I don't want to spoil anything. Been at it 22 hours and getting miffed but will keep on with it!

talk to the guide. he has sometimes clues on what to do next. find corruption and destroy shadow orbs. summon eye, find an old man.

i haven't been underground for 5 hours now. also at 22 hour mark.

soldant
11-06-2011, 01:48 PM
No, I just seem to be digging forever.
Okay, here's the non spoiler ambiguous thing: go back to the surface and walk around to both sides of the map and see what you can find. Just don't fall too far into any large chasms because they're very, very deep. As for the underworld: keep digging. For the first boss, maybe you can find something to do with those lenses at a demonic site. If I was you, I'd focus on killing my first boss (gold armour is well and truly sufficient for the first boss) and look for corruption. After digging for a while you'll find yourself unable to do anything useful (and will probably get killed quickly) until you explore the surface some more.

More specifically (not really spoiling anything): on the surface are the Dungeon (on one side of the map) and large chasms leading to Corruption. At the bottom of corruption you'll find shdaow orbs like Lukasz said. Smash them. To get through corruption you'll need a better pickaxe than gold (which you won't have yet) or an item from a particular NPC which will only turn up after killing one boss. Until you've done these surface things (except Dungeon) there's no point digging any further into the underworld, you're not going to survive and you're not going to be able to do anything worthwhile down there.

Izzmatazz
11-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Okay, thanks for the veiled pointers, guys :) Already had the eye attack me, I saw his HP and ran like a little bitch figuring I could use a better weapon! Looks like I have to sort him out...

pakoito
11-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Until you've done these surface things (except Dungeon) there's no point digging any further into the underworld, you're not going to survive and you're not going to be able to do anything worthwhile down there.

I don't agree, I went to the underworld and got my hellfire stuff before going anywhere else.

//SPOILER
The trick is to make a base house, make a fast run to the bottom and mine as much as you can before you die. Avoiding Imp's fireballs with the pickaxe is rather easy.
//SPOILER

soldant
11-06-2011, 02:19 PM
The trick is to make a base house, make a fast run to the bottom and mine as much as you can before you die. Avoiding Imp's fireballs with the pickaxe is rather easy.
//SPOILER
Yeah but as he hadn't beaten any bosses his pickaxe won't be good enough to mine Hellstone, he needs a minimum of a Nightmare Pickaxe. So there's no real point in going down there except to die :) This was only introduced in Patch 1.0.2 though which is probably why you were able to get it straight off.

Lukasz
11-06-2011, 06:05 PM
eye ain't that hard to kill.

i managed to do that with fire arrows gold bow and silver armour. and it ambushed me when i was building my new castle.

if you prepare for the fight with wooden platforms (you can shoot through them) you just need 20 potions and a bunch of arrows and it will die fairly quickly.

soldant
12-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Don't even need arrows, just stock up on shurikens. Since they travel through enemies they'll kill the little eyes that it spawns and have a fast fire rate, it's easy mode. If you've got a good platform setup like you suggested you can do it with iron armour so long as you're careful.

pakoito
12-06-2011, 03:02 AM
When I played the outdated version I could beat him with iron + golden crown, 30 potions, silver bow and a bit of patience.

SilverSilence
12-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Who the hell removed the water from next to the demon altar? It was there for a reason D:

IceRaiser
12-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Server was down a few hours due to some updating and restarting.

Oh and it's got a new IP; 83.226.177.10

IceRaiser
12-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Ok(double-post I know), The regular server is running on 83.226.177.10 Port 7777.
AND there's a Newbie-server running at the same IP but port 7778. Only new chars on that server, k?

IceRaiser
17-06-2011, 07:13 AM
There's been some greifing on the main server, please report any player misconduct to me via PM on Steam or here on the forums.

Tom OBedlam
17-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Oooh that might have accidentally been me. There was a goblin invasion and I mistook my bombs for my vilethorn. So there may have been more holes there than were supposed to be. Sorry!

tomeoftom
17-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Okay, just basically "finished" the endgame of a small world in singleplayer. I really do not like this game. It doesn't feel like it has any soul or mystery, and gives off a much greater sense of pointlessness than minecraft, despite them both being open-ended. I guess it's just the focus on combat, rather than sandbox construction - and the combat is fucking awful.

QuantaCat
17-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Also, against corrupted stones, TNT is a blast!

Lukasz
19-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Also, against corrupted stones, TNT is a blast!

powder from the nature girl is cheaper and better.

to get a babe like her into your place you need to kill a boss tough.

Kody94
19-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Finally got a tuxedo! Anyone selling sunglasses?

QuantaCat
09-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Hm. I thought there was another server to add to the list, but I guess I was wrong.

Also, anyone liking the new update? Im sad you cant flood the "worlds core" anymore, it just burns up. Also, if there are lava slime in water, they use the water up. Same goes for fire imps. arrr!

Do like the new instant pickup messages though.

Lukasz
16-07-2011, 12:52 PM
is rps server active? was it restarted? i cannot check myself atm unfortunately.

QuantaCat
16-07-2011, 01:15 PM
should be..

Wunce
17-07-2011, 02:52 AM
Finally got a tuxedo! Anyone selling sunglasses?

The sunglasses/tuxedo combo is a curse. My good computer stopped working without warning shortly after I equipped them, such a shame because it looks badass.

Anyway, I feel like this game is missing a few things which stopped me from enjoying it more - the main one being the AI. I managed to get through the underground jungle with a musket and barely any armour and health, the key is to build small stone bunkers that block hornets and have a gap for shooting. This also is how I mined the underworld with ease.

Maybe if they can get to you they find another way around or simply destroy the blocks between you and them. (would make for interesting goblin raids)

Mac
17-07-2011, 08:55 AM
I bought it in the sale - played it for about 20 mins - just didn't get it ... probably never be launched again!

BenWah
17-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Terraria looks terrible in screen shots and is boring to play at first. But if you stick with it you see how addictive and fascinating it is.

Izzmatazz
17-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I bought it in the sale - played it for about 20 mins - just didn't get it ... probably never be launched again!

20 mins isn't really time to bed it in. I was the same until I started crafting better gear. Then found myself bored again until I was given nudge what to do next in this thread.

Give it another chance. I'm currently waiting for the 1.6 update to be released before I carry on.

stvornikus
14-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Anyone still playing this?

magnus1969
14-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Anyone still playing this?

I may have to again, I managed 90+ last year.

Lukasz
14-07-2012, 11:25 PM
i beat it few weeks ago. building massive structures is not fun but i had fun exploring and fighting. After beating all the bosses, getting every equipment possible... there is no point for me to play it anymore. at least for few years.

soullessparadigm
02-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Hey everyone, I played on the official RPS server shortly after the game released (I created the unofficial RPS Terraria steam group). I haven't played in ages, and I'd love to start a new RPS Terraria MP server, if anyone is interested. Please reply here or via PM if you're interested, and I'll provide the IP/port/pw. Cheers! -JS

Lukasz
02-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Oh god. I remember that server. Most intense 20 min in any game ever. Zombies, worm, eye, goblins. One after another and me in silver armour. My hand was killing me.