PDA

View Full Version : Mechwarrior Online monetisation info

BobbyFizz
20-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Just got this email today:
(Click for Larger)

Edit: Click here for even larger (http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2017/foundersemail.jpg)

I suppose law of averages comes in to play here, in that there will be people who want that yellow badge. However, will anyone with any sense pay 75 for just some made up things and made up currency? As far as I know there isn't even any solid info on the in game cash shop yet.

Coudln't they just do the old fashioned thing of, you know, selling a boxed game? Maybe an in game cash shop for cosmetics or something? When I heard about Mechwarrior online, I was sort of excited as I love the older mech games, but this sort of monetisation for me is a real turn off, and that's as an adult with the cash to spare.

Your thoughts? I know this could be argued back and forth, but surely there is a better way than this.

sabrage
20-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Surely we're nearing market saturation for these games? Even as someone that loves grinding, unlocking, and faux progression, I don't want that shit in every game I play. And this is one game I surely won't be partaking in; my reaction to that image is utter revulsion. They're telling you upfront: "You can spend a ludicrous amount of time trying to unlock everything, or you can spend a ludicrous amount of money to slightly alleviate that!"

Moraven
20-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Copy of World of Tanks. These are simple one time discount deals for early buyers.

Seems a lot of the small $15 multiplayer only games die off if a consistent community does not stay attached. This way the company is continuously can put more content out in small doses and get immediate feedback on what sells and what doesn't, thus adapting to their market.

Also, not one is making you pay for Free to Play. Early incentives for those who know they will pay already to get stuff cheaper and also some unique items.

I will be saddened if the premium mechs are Mech Primes and do better than a standard free mech of the same class. Hopefully no gold ammo also.

I have played my more than fair share of League of Legends and after paying $10-$15 a month for MMOs, spending that much every few months is nothing really, especially if I am buying into newer content that is released.

I am at like, T5 tanks now in WoT. I have not paid a dime yet. Or will ever I think. I never really knew about the whole skin things, premium means I just unlock higher tiers and camo add ons sooner than later. I enjoy the road there without that bonus. Maybe since mechs are giant and a bit more distinctive (much like your champion in LoL) I could see myself buying some skins.

Space Indaver
20-06-2012, 03:05 AM
That's... really expensive. I'll just play for free, thanks.

jnx
20-06-2012, 05:01 AM
Yeah I too am thinking that they will do a copy of WoT model. It's not necessarily a bad thing. And as someone stated F2P guarantees certain volume of audience which is a must for multiplayer games. Remember Brink? It was actually a good game after the first patches arrived, but there just wasn't enough people.

I am at like, T5 tanks now in WoT. I have not paid a dime yet. Or will ever I think. I never really knew about the whole skin things, premium means I just unlock higher tiers and camo add ons sooner than later. I enjoy the road there without that bonus. Maybe since mechs are giant and a bit more distinctive (much like your champion in LoL) I could see myself buying some skins.

World of Tanks can easily be played pretty far without buying premium time, but things get hard at tier8 when you start losing credits often even if you win. Then you need to play with tier5-7 tanks to cover the expenses of that big tank of yours. Think I've spent around 60 euros in WoT but I have played it a lot more than I'll ever play Diablo 3 for example.

Hypernetic
20-06-2012, 05:13 AM
That email worried me too. I fear it will be another WoT. I know lots of people like that game, but I found it to be a boring and annoying grind fest.

I don't want grind fests and this is what troubles me about the new F2P trend. I'd much rather pay $60 for a game I know I want and just play it without having to worry about unlocks and other such business.

Moraven
20-06-2012, 05:24 AM
As long it has a meta game to play for like Battletech 3025 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplayer_BattleTech_3025) did, tho limited being 2001. I want to take over the Inner Sphere again!

It was World of Tanks, but smaller skirimishes. In 2001. Oh EA, how you let this one go and keep pinning your hopes on the likes of Medal of Honor and playing catch up to CoD.

bonkers
20-06-2012, 09:05 AM
I would be willing to get the 30 dollar thing, but I need more info on how the cash shop, boosters, etc works.
In Tribes I did not have a problem to throw in money during beta because I knew what the monetization would look like. On MWO there are too little info to make me purchase one of those. Especially not 60 or more bucks.

*edit*
For questions I found this thread:
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/15037-russ-bullock-taking-questions-on-founders-now/

Patrick Swayze
20-06-2012, 10:58 AM
I actually don't mind spending money on free to play games at all.

I've spent money on Airmech, Blacklight and Path Of Exile, but asking for money for a free to play game without much to go on... I just dunno. This is coming from somebody who has donated to Kickstarter too.

I don't like how the premium account seems time limited either for these founder packages and there seem to be some catches for EU players, like how we might not get some of the skins or something.

Mechwarrior has always been one of my favourite things, and I guess I'm just worried about laying money down on the game, despite the promising gameplay videos.

Hunchback
20-06-2012, 12:21 PM
The game will probably rock, but not paying for it... It's F2P after all, no need to pay for "special" shit.
The only important thing is for the devs/owners to adopt the LoL/DOTA2 business model and NOT the World of Tanks one (pay 2 win BIG TIME).

Hypernetic
20-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I actually don't mind spending money on free to play games at all.

I've spent money on Airmech, Blacklight and Path Of Exile, but asking for money for a free to play game without much to go on... I just dunno. This is coming from somebody who has donated to Kickstarter too.

I don't like how the premium account seems time limited either for these founder packages and there seem to be some catches for EU players, like how we might not get some of the skins or something.

Mechwarrior has always been one of my favourite things, and I guess I'm just worried about laying money down on the game, despite the promising gameplay videos.

I don't either when it's for things I actually want (i.e. a cool skin or champion I really like in LoL). I don't like spending money because I feel like I have to if I want the game to be less of a chore.