PDA

View Full Version : Hardware QOS solution?

Ninjafoodstuff
20-06-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm trying to find a modern-day (read: not discontinued) equivalent of a Hawking Broadband Booster or Linksys Network Optimizer -- essentially something I can stick between my modem and my router that will do QOS.

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Reason: I use an airport extreme as a router which does not support this feature, coupled with a very old bebox modem which is in bridge mode (and also doesn't do QOS as far as I can tell). I'm extremely satisfied with this setup- bar poor skype quality and latency issues when there's a lot of traffic.

Spengbab
20-06-2012, 04:23 PM
You're not going to find a consumer device with QoS that easily. I know Netgear has some accessswitches that supposedly have this (Never encountered one though), but I very much doubt the quality of their implementation.

You could try looking for a HP Procurve 2900/3400/3500 on the cheap, those are multilayer switches (Switch that can act as a router). I've got experience with all of those and they definately support QoS. Perhaps the equivalent Catalyst stuff from Cisco has it as well, more likely to find them too, as they've been around a lot longer.

EDIT: Found the Netgear thing: haha oh wow... (http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/prosafe-plus-switches/gs108e.aspx#two)

Ninjafoodstuff
20-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Actually that Netgear doesn't look to bad. I'll do some research and see if anyone has any first-hand experience.

djbriandamage
20-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Are you particularly attached to all this network hardware or would you be willing to replace it all with an all-in-one device? The complexity of routing, the latency, and the electricity consumed all increase when you have so many dedicated devices working in tandem.

Most gigabit routers have QoS packet prioritization, but I'll recommend my D-Link DIR-655 which has served me well for a year or so. There are also many modem\router hybrids which would be even more efficient and would shave a few milliseconds off your ping.

Otherwise you could add an intelligent switch to the mix. A switch with QoS will likely have no fewer than 8 ports and will cost the same as a 4-port router will more features, but many people prefer breaking different networking tasks out to separate devices.

Finally, I must humbly disagree with Spengbab. Many many consumer networking devices have QoS.

Ninjafoodstuff
21-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Are you particularly attached to all this network hardware or would you be willing to replace it all with an all-in-one device? The complexity of routing, the latency, and the electricity consumed all increase when you have so many dedicated devices working in tandem.

I'd prefer to have an all-in-one, but since most everything I have is Mac-based, the Airport Extreme router (actually it's a Time Capsule) setup I have works very well for me- bar the QoS issues.

djbriandamage
21-06-2012, 02:29 PM
I'd prefer to have an all-in-one, but since most everything I have is Mac-based, the Airport Extreme router (actually it's a Time Capsule) setup I have works very well for me- bar the QoS issues.

That complicates matters somewhat but it's not detrimental. I can't advise you on Mac-related stuff so I won't recommend replacing anything.

So here's the thing. An 8-port network switch with QoS (similar to this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122345&nm_mc=OTC-FroogleNEW&cm_mmc=OTC-FroogleNEW-_-Network+-+Switches-_-Netgear+Inc.-_-33122345)) is one option. You would install this between your modem and router. Just log on to its web admin console (the manual will tell you how) and enable the QoS feature with default settings and you should see an immediate improvement. This will allow you to completely saturate your network with heavy traffic without interrupting movie or VoIP streaming.

Ninjafoodstuff
09-07-2012, 10:30 AM
cool thanks.

belleville2008
10-07-2012, 05:24 AM
The complexity of routing, the latency, and the electricity consumed all increase when you have so many dedicated devices working in tandem.http://www.avufo.info/g.gif