PDA

View Full Version : Sounds of the PC Gaming '70s: Top Tenuous

Bilbo
25-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Just curious to see if anybody has a great track from the 1970s that has a link to PC gaming. Hell, even if it doesn't, I'll hear it at this point: I'm just an unabashed disciple of the 1970s scene (And I'm only 24!) and I fancied starting a thread to show my *many* detractors that I'm more than just a slightly frustrated commenter who always seems to get it wrong.

Have at it!

As a starting point, as recommended by a currently non-remembered commenter as a great synch to the original Dead Island reveal trailer, I submit for the approval of The Midnight Society mr. Kenny Rogers with "I just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In" as featured on the official soundtrack to the popular movie film "The Big Lebowski"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhOKhJaM1QE

*edit* And shit! This song was recorded in 1968! But that's the nature of Sounds of The Seventies... Hit me RPS :)

Oneironaut
25-06-2011, 02:00 AM
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly is another great song of that era
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGmkM4v9AaY)

I just watched The Big Lebowski for the first time a couple of months ago, and earlier this week I bought Just Dropped In from Amazon. I love that song now.

I really don't think you'll find much gaming related music from the 70s or late 60s because video games were just starting out. The only one I can think of is the pac man song which is only a few seconds long.

Bilbo
25-06-2011, 02:18 AM
Cheers :D I did say it could be tenuous. Frankly at this stage I'd take "Black Sabbath: Paranoid" linked to "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" by virtue of extremely vague thematical link

cjlr
25-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Wha-hey! I love the music of the 70s. Except, yeah, Just Dropped In was '60s. In a Gadda da Vida was also '60s. My personal favourite sync for the Dead Island trailer was Main Ingredient's Summer Breeze cover, as I mentioned at the time.

I mentioned in the outside soundtracks that I mixed Kotor and Yes; that went swimmingly. I took the Yes Album through Going for the One era, iirc. Say what you will about Tales from Topographic Oceans (and I could say a lot), The Remembering / High the Memory was a great fit for background on Kashyyyk. Wondrous Stories makes exposition so much more fun, and Siberian Khatru is perfect for sailing the void. Sound Chaser is my theme for the star maps now; Gates of Delirium made fights pulse-pounding, and the coda, Soon, is the perfect accompaniment to talking a rival Jedi back to the light. Really, you could draw a lot of parallels in bunk mysticism, if you tried. Awaken is one of the better training sequence anthems out there. And there's South Side of the Sky, Roundabout, To Be Over, Going for the One, I've Seen All Good People... Starship Trooper is fairly self-evidently applicable. And You And I will liven up any pairing. And you can absolutely, positively never go wrong with Close to the Edge.

So there's that.

There's not much else I can think of off-hand. I've dabbled in funk underscoring for my Mount & Blade adventures, as well as a few strategy games which needed enlivening - EUIII, for one, offhand.

Are there any games set in the 1970s?

Icarus
25-06-2011, 10:03 AM
TimeSplitters Future Perfect has a chapter set in the 1970s. It didn't come out on PC, though :/

Didn't Disco Inferno make an appearance in BulletStorm?

Bilbo
25-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Certainly did. It even had an achievement tied to it.