PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The many, many Divisions of Death!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Heliocentric
11-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Can whoever I have to play or someone walk my through what I need to do.

Tom OBedlam
11-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Catcher and a thrower it is then.

Screwie
11-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Can whoever I have to play or someone walk my through what I need to do.

Apologies if this comes off as a bit basic, I'm trying to cover all bases. Assuming you're new to the video game as well as the league:

1. Create your team
Go into multiplayer mode, internet leagues, log in (sign up if this is your frist time).
On your Profile tab create a new team.

2. Apply to the division
Go to the Leagues tab, then use the League Finder button to find the right division to apply to ("rps" is a good search term and should bring up everything).
Select your new team from the "My registered teams" drop-down box, and hit the apply button. Don't worry if the league looks full, as this is usually the case between seasons. An admin will sort it out.
Add the password (chainsawed) and you're done! An admin will accept your application later.

3. Join the RPS Divisions of Death forum group
We use the discussion threads within this group as the main way to organise matches.

4. Keep an eye on this thread
If people in divisions above you drop out, you may be promoted and required to re-apply to a new division at short notice.

Hope that helps.

how do I get the Blighters out of Div F to add them to Div 5? Its almost like Cyanide want to drive me slowly mad.

Go into Div F's league screen, go to the "My registered teams" drop-down list, select your team and the option to remove them should appear. Then just go into the Div 5 league screen and apply as normal.

Tom OBedlam
11-12-2011, 02:05 PM
ta, Screwie. Appled.

President Weasel
11-12-2011, 02:35 PM
to expand a little on Screwie's post:

Apologies if this comes off as a bit basic, I'm trying to cover all bases. Assuming you're new to the video game as well as the league:

1. Create your team
Go into multiplayer mode, internet leagues, log in (sign up if this is your frist time).
On your Profile tab create a new team.

2. Apply to the division
Go to the Leagues tab, then use the League Finder button to find the right division to apply to ("rps" is a good search term and shodl bring up everything).
Go into the correct league using the "view league" button before you apply, as applying from the league finder screen is bugged
Select your new team from the "My registered teams" drop-down box, and hit the apply button. Don't worry if the league looks full, as this is usually the case between seasons. An admin will sort it out.
Add the password (chainsawed) and you're done! An admin will accept your application later.

3. Join the RPS Divisions of Death forum group
We use the discussion threads within this group as the main way to organise matches.

4. Keep an eye on this thread
If people in divisions above you drop out, you may be promoted and required to re-apply to a new division at short notice.

5. if you are new to the game and have not played multiplayer before then make another team and play a game or two in one of the public leagues like Naggorath. This will ensure that the game works properly on your net and that you don't have the dreaded 16950 port error when you try to play multiplayer.
This error is actually quite simple to fix using port forwarding on your router, but it does require a bit of googling, a little bit of messing around with a router interface, some trial and error, and admin access to your router. The time to find out that you have this problem is ideally before your first scheduled game in the divisions.

Hope that helps.

Go into Div F's league screen, go to the "My registered teams" drop-down list, select your team and the option to remove them should appear. Then just go into the Div 5 league screen and apply as normal.

President Weasel
11-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Yeah ball-handling is your weakness there, get a catcher and a thrower in whatever order, then another catcher.

Human catchers are half decent at their jobs already, so get a couple and give them wrestle and dauntless. Suddenly enemy ball carriers are not as far away from your team as they thought they were.

MadDave123
11-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Combat and I managed to play the final game from last season earlier.

(me) Fly Soup - Nurgle vs Chaos - The Death Jesters (Combat)

Bashing begot bashing for a very bashy 1st half. Equal injuries on both sides and lots of K.O.s My runner got a broken jaw and the apoc saved one of Combats men from certain death.

Neither side gave any ground and after some early round turnovers a Nurgley Pestigor managed to get close to the touchline. Nuffle beamed a grin and Combat's blitzing beastman rolled a double push vs the ball carrier. With no re-rolls left the Pestigor somehow managed to escape his mark and scored on turn 8.

Half Time 1 - 0

Second half had even more bashing than the first. Combat's Minotaur destroyed Fly Soup's right flank and kept it open for the rest of the half; Frenzily piling-on to any Nurgle players that came close. Combat edged his way along the flank with a solid block of players, but with 3 turns left and no re-rolls remaining suffered a bad block and turned over a bit too early. The rear of his cage was open and astinky Nurgle Warrior pushed the ball carrier off the pitch.

The ball came back into play deep in the Chaos team's half and offered no chance of recovery with just 3 turns left. Both teams made the most of the remaining turns for extra bashy-goodness. Unfortunately this led to the death of a Death Jester player and, subsequently, the birth of a new rotter.

Full Time 1 - 0

A tough game from start to finish and lots of fun to play. Thanks Combat.

laneford
11-12-2011, 04:50 PM
5. if you are new to the game and have not played multiplayer before then make another team and play a game or two in one of the public leagues like Naggorath. This will ensure that the game works properly on your net and that you don't have the dreaded 16950 port error when you try to play multiplayer.
This error is actually quite simple to fix using port forwarding on your router, but it does require a bit of googling, a little bit of messing around with a router interface, some trial and error, and admin access to your router. The time to find out that you have this problem is ideally before your first scheduled game in the divisions.

Hope that helps.

Or make a team and join the RPS Challenge League, then ask one of us lot for a game to check whether cyanide will permit you to actually play against other humans.

NieA7
11-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Hey, forget what I typed before. How come NieA7 moved across to the letters, but then up a division as well? Am confuse.

This. I mean I don't mind being in Div A (despite how much I complain, that's just part of the fun), I just don't want it to be in place of someone who's earned it.

Gorm
11-12-2011, 06:36 PM
Yea i moved up to D from 5. Doesnt seem right.

Screwie
11-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Yea i moved up to D from 5. Doesnt seem right.

Technically moving from D to 5 is down. :)

Jolima
11-12-2011, 07:26 PM
That's why he said "to D from 5" instead of "from D to 5". :)

Screwie
11-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Bah I should not be reading and writing tonight. >.>

groovychainsaw
11-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Err, sorry about this everyone, but it does appear I got it wrong with NieA7's promotion. Also, as Kelron requested to return before this new season started, I decided to reinstate him back into his place whilst doing this reshuffle, which seems fair to me, at least :-). I've also knocked out windward and valiant for not responding (or not that I noticed, correct me if I'm wrong!). A handful of you may therefore need to apply elsewhere now, a few people may find they have slipped back again(!), apologies to those, but I think I've got it to a fair reflection of everyone's season ;-).

I'm going to go in and start updating how many applications we have in the right place so far too, to see how close we are to starting up again :-). Let me know if anything else seems amiss... I'm always listening, if not always at a PC to do anything about it :-D

Gorm
11-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Ignore me, i cant read spreadsheets.

groovychainsaw
11-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Well, I'm quite happy to have him back if he re-emerges from the beach and lets me know :-). If not, he can join us again once he gets back in season 16.

LowKey
11-12-2011, 09:10 PM
thanks groovy, just applied to Div C with no problems

duff
11-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Oh, I haz humans / humans / chaos next season. Could be alot of close games.

groovychainsaw
11-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Ok, we're still missng.. let me see... 24 applications! :-o (/wags finger).

Get applying chaps, the sooner we get everyone in, the sooner we can start our Christmas season!

/Edit - And one of those humans is me. But you have 10 players with dodge and I only have one with tackle. I think we know what will happen...
/Double edit - Still, its the first time in about 3 seasons I've even seen an AV7 player who wasn't my own catcher :-)

duff
11-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Yeh, I've been waiting all year to get hold of your tackle.

Screwie
11-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Argh, more undead moved into Div 5 :(

groovychainsaw
11-12-2011, 10:22 PM
All the others, obviously, have been castrated, it makes them ANGRY.

Kelron
11-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Applied to div A, thanks groovy. Though I may change my mind again after going up against Snoozer's Dwarves.

Tom OBedlam
11-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Argh, more undead moved into Div 5 :(

I'm concerned about that too, means I'm going to have to try and play my humans like elves.

duff
11-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Ok, And one of those humans is me. But you have 10 players with dodge and I only have one with tackle. I think we know what will happen...

Wait a minute, have you been spying on me before the seasons even started!?

alh_p
11-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Have applied to the glorious div F with my (hastily created) corny named Delfs.

NieA7
12-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Applied to Div B.

duff
12-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Have applied to the glorious div F with my (hastily created) corny named Delfs. Welcome to the dark side!

ntw
12-12-2011, 02:55 AM
Managed to get Helio playing briefly, but does anyone have a guide to sorting out the firewalls/ports and stuff? couldn't find anything useful on the interwebs (search FAIL!) so in the end he was unable to initiate a game.

duff
12-12-2011, 03:09 AM
You need to make sure that 16962 UDP is open on your router. The way to do it varies on which router you have, but usually involves going to your routers homepage (using the administrator username and key) and entering the port exemption. If you know your router model a google search should give specific instructions. There is also some software (http://www.simpleportforwarding.com/) that does most of the work for you, but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

http://portforward.com/ gives individual instructions for each router model.

Heliocentric
12-12-2011, 09:04 AM
I will probably manage it myself from here.

Regardless Taxederm (and son's (all deceased ) ) with a mummified C.E.O are looking to improve shareholder confidence that our USP of dying but not really is the best way forward.

Sgt.Ragekage
12-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Applied div c. ta.

boots468
12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Managed to get Helio playing briefly, but does anyone have a guide to sorting out the firewalls/ports and stuff? couldn't find anything useful on the interwebs (search FAIL!) so in the end he was unable to initiate a game.

I managed to sort my port trouble by connecting the router wired, rather than wireless. I was lucky that I could take that option - the reams of advise out there to sort this technically just confused me.

clavin
12-12-2011, 08:56 PM
I would like to give this a try. I haven't been playing for very long but I think a bowl between real people could be pretty fun. I am prepared to lose mightily!

I glanced over the spreadsheet but I'm not entirely sure what to put on it at this point (I understand the form, just don't have the information to put in it yet); I'd like to play a Norse or Necromantic team. If you can assign me a nice, n00bly division, that'd be good. A friend of mine may or may not be posting interest here too, so if possible I'd like to get into the same division as him.

My Steam name should be low_drums (as well as my BB online handle). What all I has need know?!

Yessum I am with him and it sounds like a blast if you could possibly squeeze me in that would be outstanding. As I understand it lizards are full so I would prolly go with norse or skaven. If you have any opening please keep me in mind.

cwoac
13-12-2011, 01:14 PM
okay, so december is going to be unwise for me to play, so I'm going to have to drop out this time. Rest assured my weres will be back next season to cause more headaches for people who aren't woodelves.

groovychainsaw
13-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Ok, well that works out nicely for once, ntw, you're up one and clavin, you can join low_drums in div 6 :-)

Sirblood
13-12-2011, 10:07 PM
*necessary post to get into the game*

I would really like Skaven if possible

President Weasel
13-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Put your details on the spreadsheet, but I'm afraid right now it does look like the divisions are full. You'll need someone else to drop out, or three other people to join, in order to get in this season.

Vexing Vision
13-12-2011, 10:37 PM
It's not entirely unlikely that there'll be one or two more drop-outs by not applying though.

But do enter yourself in the spreadsheet.

Sirblood
13-12-2011, 11:40 PM
I believe I did so, I hope it is saved by clicking "share"

Thanks!

groovychainsaw
14-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Still missing 10 players - I now begin naming and shaming...

Grinn and wolfenswan missing from div 3
Cacamas missing from 4
ntw missing from 5
clavin missing from 6 (let us know if you're having troubles :-))

combat and schizoslayer missing from D
james coombs and jryan from E
whiskytangofox from F

All others ready and waiting - get those applications in chaps and we'll get the new season underway!!

Nullkigan
14-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Can we have GIANT COLOURED CAPS when the tables have been finalised next time? We used to have explicit warnings a few seasons ago.

Wolfenswan
14-12-2011, 11:37 PM
haha i knew i had forgotten *something*. have applied.

According to the spreadsheet Grinn's off for holidays?

Schizoslayer
15-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Still missing 10 players - I now begin naming and shaming...

Grinn and wolfenswan missing from div 3
Cacamas missing from 4
ntw missing from 5
clavin missing from 6 (let us know if you're having troubles :-))

combat and schizoslayer missing from D
james coombs and jryan from E
whiskytangofox from F

All others ready and waiting - get those applications in chaps and we'll get the new season underway!!

That's odd I totally applied the first day the new divisions got posted...

Schizoslayer
15-12-2011, 01:06 AM
I knew I had applied already. My application had been accepted and then the team was expelled the next day. Reapplied.

somanyrobots
15-12-2011, 01:58 AM
New player - I have never played BB against actual humans before (though I've wasted a shamefully large amount of time against the AI, awhile ago; by now I've probably forgotten all the wrong lessons it taught me). Would love to join in!

grinn
15-12-2011, 02:16 AM
My bad, sorry. I applied for div 4 as that's where I had been placed originally and didn't recheck the sheet. Applied to div 3 now. And yeah I m on holiday but have blood bowl installed at a net Cafe on a neighbouring island ;)

Sirblood
15-12-2011, 04:46 AM
Ok, just asking out of ignorance, but how many opportunities does a no-show get before they are booted off the season?

Jiiiiim
15-12-2011, 08:10 AM
probably until the season is about to start. Which in this case is the 18th.

ntw
15-12-2011, 10:52 AM
New player - I have never played BB against actual humans before (though I've wasted a shamefully large amount of time against the AI, awhile ago; by now I've probably forgotten all the wrong lessons it taught me). Would love to join in!

I see you're on the sheet, good start! :) Keep an eye on this thread, there may be a last second vacancy with the new season starting imminently...

@Sirblood - GC will be keen to get the season started so anyone who hasn't applied or posted grovelling for a brief extension to the deadline will probably be replaced in the next few days.

also - Oopsie, I'll get myself applied to 5 tonight (and then I'll accept my own application)

groovychainsaw
15-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah, new season is due to start on saturday, so not long left for people to get applications in if they haven't already. I know one or two people are only in the wrong place because the tables have shifted a bit recently, so I'll be kinder to them (grinn, ntw!) than to others. As for BIG CAPS, you're probably right Nullkigan, I should grab attention more than I have done so far.

So, SEASON STARTS 18TH DECEMBER, WE ARE STILL MISSING PEOPLE (SEE ABOVE). LET US KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, OR YOU WILL BE REPLACED!

Better, Nullkigan? ;-)

Everyone in the bottom 2 divisions and the new guys trying to join (hello, by the way!), keep an eye out in here, come saturday, things may get shaken up a bit at the bottom again and we may need people to reapply accordingly. Most of the top divisions should get started on saturday, if I'm happy we have enough people in there.

grinn
15-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Applied for division 3 yesterday...

ntw
15-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Yessum I am with him and it sounds like a blast if you could possibly squeeze me in that would be outstanding. As I understand it lizards are full so I would prolly go with norse or skaven. If you have any opening please keep me in mind.

Clavin - are you kazagarth in BBLE? Can you update the sheet with your details please :)

Few more apps accepted (including myself!), only 5 players missing now...

Cacamas
15-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Applied for div 4 now.

Ergonomic Cat
17-12-2011, 02:31 AM
Excited to get slaughtered!

Heliocentric
17-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Can I still tweak my lineup before my first match? I mean without losing refund money. I need more/less of various things.

ntw
17-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Can I still tweak my lineup before my first match? I mean without losing refund money. I need more/less of various things.

not sure what you mean by "refund money"? You can tweak the team as much as your bank balance allows, whenever you like - but generally speaking you can't completely rebuild it without removing it from the Divs and basically recreating it from scratch before re-entering it. And if you want to do that then the final decision is GC's :)

Heliocentric
17-12-2011, 11:54 AM
not sure what you mean by "refund money"? You can tweak the team as much as your bank balance allows, whenever you like - but generally speaking you can't completely rebuild it without removing it from the Divs and basically recreating it from scratch before re-entering it. And if you want to do that then the final decision is GC's :)

Does removing a player refund 100% of its purchase money?

Screwie
17-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Does removing a player refund 100% of its purchase money?

Only if your team has never played a single game yet. And I'm not 100% sure if it works once you've been added to a league or not. (Way to test it - make a new team, enter one of Cyanide's public leagues, then start playing with the roster...)

Once you play a game with the team, removing players (or anything else) gives you no refund.

Tom OBedlam
17-12-2011, 02:58 PM
So is the new season begun?

President Weasel
17-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Still a handful of people missing, according to the spreadsheet

Jiiiiim
17-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Someone on fumbbl linked Their team video (http://turonecup.unblog.fr/2011/11/06/the-avengers-le-trailer/)

Genuinely amazing and excellent miniatures.

Gorm
17-12-2011, 05:04 PM
I like the invisible woman the best

ntw
17-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Just adminned a few more bits, just the following missing now -

JamesCoombs Halfsize Heroes Dwa E 6 JamesCoombs JamesCoombs
Jryan Light Stamptastic Nor E 6 jmotivator jryan

@ Admins - PLEASE check the fixtures when starting the season, use the (awful - damn cyanide UI) seeding mechanism to ensure the ingame fixtures match the spreadsheet fixtures.

groovychainsaw
18-12-2011, 10:45 AM
All divisions apart from E and F have started! E and F are missing JRYAN and JAMESCOOMBS still. If we don't see them shortly we may need to reshuffle a bit, so if you are in either of those divisions, keep your eyes peeled!

The rest of you, get organising your games. You have until the 5th of January to complete the first game! I've checked the fixtures and sorted them where I can, but i recommend a quick check before you play your first game, the UI stopped showing me the changes I was making after the 2nd division, because Cyanide.

clavin
18-12-2011, 06:41 PM
sorry it took so long. Been a bit under the weather recently. I finished updating the spread sheet if I am missing anything please let me know.

ntw
18-12-2011, 10:09 PM
OMFG - that was carnage.

I have never been so royally fucked by the dice. It started on Tom's first turn when his first block KILLed one of my Stormvermin (Apo-ed to Smashed Hip, i.e. 1-MV) and rapidly went downhill from there. Tom played well, and even took pity on my team in the dying turns when I was unable to field even half a team. Final 2 turns consisted of my Sure Hands Thrower failing to pickup the ball in the open field.

4-0 to Tom, 4 of my players are MNG with 2 of them permanently injured.

Cheers for the game Tom, hopefully my rats will recover some pride over the remaining matches...

Vexing Vision
18-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Seaside Sirens vs Jolima's Beyond The Pale

The Vampires elect to kick, and it's all going downhills from there, with the Sirens being 20k short of hiring Zara, and instead bringing in a Wizard and a Bribe.

Liberally using their feminine wiles, the Sirens (attempt to) foul a Vampire or a thrall a turn, although their blocks are the ones which send a thrall or a vampire a turn to the doctor, while the Vampires fail at both trying to knock the Amazons down and hypnotizing them. Distracted by the Sirens, there is also an unexpectedly high amount of spirited self-inflicted casualty, as the confused Vampires failed several crucial dodges.

The Amazons wait - rather unchallenged - until the very last second of the first half-time to go up the score to 1-0, while Beyond The Pale ended the half with 2 Casualties and 7 KOs - all but three of which jumped back to action in the second half. Unfortunatley for the Pale, the three players remaining KOed until the end of the game where the only three players with Tackle.

This showed in the second half, which amusingly enough began with a Quicksnap - which the visibly shocked and scared Pales used to bring every single of their players out of the bloodthirsty Amazons' reach. Nevertheless, the Sirens successfully knock down the ball-carrying Vampire after a crucial failed dodge during the first few turns. At first, the girls appear unable to keep up their record skull-breaking, but soon find their game again. The Vampires attempt a few desperate moves, even knocking free the ball for a single turn, but this was quickly recaptured.

The game ended with the bored Wizard sending a half-hearted lightning bolt to a marking Vampire (one of the five players still left on the field), which at least knocked him down, and the Sirens walking in an unchallenged 2-0 in their first game of the Champions' League.

Thanks to Jolima, who had 25% of all rolls being 1s, and both of us having an unexpected lack of PoWs - with his tackle players taken out early, there was not much he could do against my Sirens.

darkweeble
18-12-2011, 11:56 PM
I found JamesCoombs on Steam. He told me he won't be able to play this season because of work.

Sirblood
19-12-2011, 12:17 AM
If they arent going to play, Im more than happy to jump in for them.

jryan
19-12-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm sorry folks. The holidays are upon me and I have even more sporadic free time than I did when I barely finished one game in Division F. Gaming for the next few weeks will be spur of the moment deals where I find an hour hear and their. This is not conducive to arranging a matches, especially with folks across the pond.

President Weasel
19-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Alistair Hutton's Altdorf Army (tough as nails human mans) vs President Weasel's Red Skull Reavers (chaos mans with a mean disposition)

Al noticed on setup that he had 12 mans in the pitch and asked if I wanted to restart. I said no, bring it on!
Secretly I knew some things about his team - specifically that Hob was carrying a niggling injury and would therefore break easily. I also knew I had a minotaur, and figured if I added those two facts together I had a good chance of subtracting a player from Al's team and evening the numbers.

This plan worked almost perfectly - the mino hit Hob with a three dice and gave him a severe case of the deads. Al's apoc leapt into action and "cured" him, in typical apoc style, to "still dead".
This would have evened the teams up nicely, if one of Al's human mans hadn't found a chink in one of my chaos warriors' ridiculously armoury armour. Turn 1 and we were both down a man.

Al's team scored a nicely worked touchdown, switching the play from one side of the other after I had overcommitted and dodging a catcher round my mans and over the touchline. Would have been a bit harder for him if I hadnt failed a wild animal roll on turn 3 and a go for it on turn 4, but I can't begrudge him the score.

I set off to equalise! This did not go well.
His ogre unsportingly refused to die when hit by my minotaur. Boo! My drive stalled and then a 2 dice hit knocked the ball from my ball carrier's hand and gave him a mng into the bargain. Hutton got the ball, and a handoff and dodge took him out of range of my despairing chaos mans. My first move of the next turn gave me a both down on a man without block, and with no reroll it was a very short turn indeed. AL scored to make it 2-0, and with two turns to go did an impressive job of tying up my mans and making my elfball scoring attempt almost impossible. 2-0 is how the half ended.

In the second half I brushed aside Al's defence (actually, brush sounds a tad delicate for what I should probably have described as MINOTAUR SMASH) and headed up the right of the pitch for a touchdown, but it wasn't enough to get the scores level. Despite the occasional SMASH my minotaur was proving troublingly unreliable; I may actually sack him soon. He continued his unreliable streak by failing a wild animal when I told him to go blitz his way into Al's cage, and soon once again mr Hutton's human mans were merrily gambolling around my half with the ball.
A particularly unlucky one-dice reroll (from both down when he needed push, stumble, or pow rerolled to skull) ended Al's turn as soon as it began, and I managed to knock the ball from his hands. I couldn't pick up though (and my mino did not help things by failing Wild Animal for his third successive turn.
The following turn the mino did actually succeed in his wild animal roll - then promptly failed a go for it, ending my turn with the ball still on the ground and none of my mans in scoring distance. Game to Al Hutton - and a deserved victory, too. There's no way I needed to risk the ball carrier like that in the first half, and I handed him the ball and the game.

That mino is going to get made into cow pies unless he gets a decent skill-up - STR or a double, or you're for the chop, Roy of the Reavers.

Alistair Hutton
19-12-2011, 10:24 PM
That mino is going to get made into cow pies unless he gets a decent skill-up - STR or a double, or you're for the chop, Roy of the Reavers.

As an addendum to the match report the final play of the game saw my Ogre dodge away from 3 Beastmen, run into the touch down zone. The human star thrower, menace by a Chaos Warrior and Minotaur but armed with Nerves of Steel launched a perfect pass into the Ogre's ha....

NO, NO HE DIDN'T the game ignored the fact that I didn't want to use Hail Mary Pass and flung the ball randomly around the pitch instead.

President Weasel
19-12-2011, 10:29 PM
This is true - I had already ended my writeup before this happened, because Alistair had the game sewn up as soon as my minotaur fell over in turn 15 with my planned touchdown chaos man still to move and thus out of any possible scoring range for the last turn.
However I can confirmt he game used his hail mary pass when there was really no reason to do so, and I believed him when he said it would have been an accurate one otherwise - and given the luck I had been having up until then, I believe the ogre would have caught the ball for a touchdown.

mrpier
19-12-2011, 10:44 PM
I think hail mary pass always being used is a known bug, doubleclicking on the throwers skill list while in a match and manually set it to don't use might fix it.

Screwie
19-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Twisted Claw (Necromantic, Axler) vs Dread pool (Dark Elves, me) - the rematch!

Having had the exact same match up last season, I was wary of Axler's undead but determined to not to let my usual phobia of them undermine my tactics. My new plan: Hit them first. This plan worked surprisingly well, since there was very little Block or Dodge and mainly ST 3 on both teams. Unfortunately Axler soon discovered my team's weakness - being hit in return - and of course, the elves vanish from the pitch faster than the undead.

Receiving on the first drive, I pushed up the right flank for a couple of turns before wheeling over to the left with half my squad while tying up as many of Axler's players in the wrong part of the pitch as I could. Foolishly I went for a blitz with my ball carrier which backfired, landing the ball in no-man's land on the left LoS.

Axler came in to pick up the ball, shoving my team out of the way and securing a comfortable cage around the ball's square. In came his MA 8 ghoul who easily picked up the ball, but then failed the dodge back to safety!

On the rebound my runner grabbed the ball and moved a short way out of trouble, with my other players providing an obstacle while my AG 5 runner held back for the Dump-Off. As predicted, Axler lined up a blitz from a free zombie and provoked my Dump-Off. I took it, only to fumble the ball and have it bounce around until one of my linemen caught it. Then the zombie who was blitzing failed his GFI and fell over, injuring himself. What a farce!

My new carrier broke from the pack and pushed up the field. My remaining team tried to mark the opposition to prevent a blitz. A werewolf was just in blitzing range however with 2 GFIs and he made it, knocking my lineman senseless and droping the ball on the left edge of the pitch.

I responded with a blitz of my own, KOing the wolf. My blitzer covered the ball while my AG 5 runner came up behind to scoop up the ball - no, wait - reroll - SCOOP up - no, wait. Arse. No don't go off the pitch! Aarrgh.

The throw-in placed the ball in a square adjacent to Axler's MA 8 ghoul, who promptly picked it up and stormed down the pitch. There was little my team could do without pulling some dangerous dodges to catch up to him. Those dodges all failed. The ghoul scored to finish up the extremely tense first half 1-0.

The second half was awful though. I was outnumbered against a hitty team and had to equalize. I made desperate ploy when the kick off yielded me a Blitz and moved most of my guys into the opposition half, looking to intercept the ghoul who would scoop up the ball while still close to his own end zone. It might have worked to, if my AG 5 runner didn't fail a 2+ dodge on a 1. Again.

The latter part of the second half consisted of Axler's ghoul next to my end zone while my team was divided and flat on their backs. Axler wanted to stall and maim, I didn't really want to give him that chance. So I skipped the rest of my turns and so he skipped the rest of his (aside from his last one, of course).

Final Score: 2-0

I set up to receive the final kick to give myself a quick pass for 1 SPP.... which my AG 5 runner failed to catch. Well done lad!

It was a very cowardly move, I know. But what modest offence I could have mounted would not have equalised the scores, and my team was still trying to recover manpower from the last time they fought Axler. Today I escaped with only one of my blitzers taking a niggling injury which occurred too early in the match to contemplate spending my only apothecary roll on. Axler only had that self-inflicted zombie injury, which was nothing permanent.

Axler, you're a very tough opponent, well played sir.

groovychainsaw
19-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Both jryan and jamescoombs have let me know theyre not available. And we have 2 newbies waiting in the wings! If both can apply to E (for simplicity!) and an admin can approve them ASAP (am AFK at the moment...), everyone will be playing!

somanyrobots
20-12-2011, 04:17 AM
Applied to E! Here's hoping I don't get stomped too too badly :p

Alistair Hutton
20-12-2011, 07:56 AM
I think hail mary pass always being used is a known bug, doubleclicking on the throwers skill list while in a match and manually set it to don't use might fix it.

Ah, I set it to don't use when it popped up what skills you wan to use after I'd attempted the throw. that might be too late for this messed up crazy game.

Tom OBedlam
20-12-2011, 10:41 AM
@somanyrobots I'm in love with your username. That is all.

potatoedoughnut
20-12-2011, 04:23 PM
So man, why robots?

somanyrobots
21-12-2011, 01:16 AM
So man, why robots?

Quite simply, because robots are AWESOME.

President Weasel
22-12-2011, 03:02 PM
could an admin validate my game against Al Hutton please? I'd like to find out if I am going to sack my minotaur or not.

ntw
22-12-2011, 03:09 PM
I should get a chance to validate some games tonight (babe and wife permitting) assuming no-one else has validated them before I logon...

Screwie
22-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Cool - I'm keen to see how much (little) my dark elf squad have changed after that last match... :P

(By the way I am happy to volunteer as another DoD admin, at least for match validating.)

Heliocentric
22-12-2011, 03:16 PM
I stayed up until 4am trying to get a match against my geographically differently league mates.

I'm really not sure what to do, this is pointless.

Screwie
22-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Ok, so according to the spreadsheet you're scheduled to face WhiskyTangFox first this season. I see you've joined the Div F community group, that's good. Have you also tried:

- sending him a forum PM?
- mailing/friending him on Steam?

Failing that, there is not a lot you can do but wait for the deadline and if he doesn't show up, take the forfeit. (Discussion - or lack thereof - within the forum community group is the primary decider on who wins in case of forfeit.) It's no fun, but sometimes players sign up and then realise they don't have time to commit (or whatever). In any case, best of luck.

EDIT:

Re-reading your post, I just want to eliminate potential confusion. Apologies if this is a bit basic. If you don't already know, our matches are not openly arranged but scheduled within each division.

Your designated opponent is listed on the DoD spreadsheet under the Fixtures & Results tab and should correspond to the information under the league's Calender tab in-game. (If there's a discrepency there, then please post in this thread to inform the mods as they must have missed something.)

Hope that helps.

groovychainsaw
22-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Yeah, all Screwie's advice is great, if your opponent doesn't show, then you'll get the win (and double SPPs, which is something, at least!). All you have to do is post in the community group and see if you get a response. If you don't, well, PMs and steam sometimes work, or your opponent may have lost interest straight away, which is a bit crappy for your first game, but not the first time its happened... If you have any other issues, feel free to PM me or ping me on steam to ask any other questions (which is also true for anyone else - my office is always open!) :-)

ntw
22-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Helio - you need to clarify which of the scenarios Screwie mentioned above is correct. Either way he's pretty much nailed the routes forward in his post.

Heliocentric
22-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Helio - you need to clarify which of the scenarios Screwie mentioned above is correct. Either way he's pretty much nailed the routes forward in his post.

I have never spoken to this player on steam, we added each other on steam since the league started but he's not talked on the board http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=60&pp=10&page=6&do=discuss

From what I can tell he's about -6 to -10gmt But I've yet to ~PM him, I'll get straight to that.

President Weasel
22-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Sounds like you're going about things right - generally we start off in the board group by saying something like "hello whiksytangofox, we're scheduled to play this week, I can do evenings british time 7-11pm but not wednesday, or weekends -is there a time that works for you?"
then you can also use pms and add them as a steam friend and try to get a steam chat going. Most of the time you'll get an answer on the forum group and arrange a time - usually the system works better than it has for you so far, so don't be disheartened.

Heliocentric
22-12-2011, 04:55 PM
I just want to develop a collection of injuries that will hamper and later cripple my hopes, is that too much to ask?

ntw
22-12-2011, 05:07 PM
I just want to develop a collection of injuries that will hamper and later cripple my hopes, is that too much to ask?

You do realise you've just doomed your team to never, ever suffer an injury...

Screwie
22-12-2011, 05:08 PM
You do realise you've just doomed your team to never, ever suffer an injury...

As if Nuffle worked that way. :P

ntw
22-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Results validated. Except Jiiim vs Jarvis - the sheet is showing as 0-0 but there is no result ingame, whappen there chaps?

/edit - spoken to Jarvis, port issues with the pair of them, therefore administrative draw.

Pseudo310
22-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Hi! I'd like to join the league (I actually signed up for the forums specifically to play). I'd probably play an orc team if that's ok.

Nullkigan
23-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Just ground out a 2-1 against Niea7/Under7's Necromantic team. Cost me a MNG, but I got to prance dodge a lot. Highlights for me include the Necromantic team's incredible luck when it came to facing sidestep and wrestle actually being useful in general. Kept forgetting to double check whether not wrestling would cause my opponent a turn over, though.

President Weasel
23-12-2011, 12:27 AM
you don't appear to have validated the game in which Hutton smashed my hopes into little bits, and then stamped on the bits.

ChainsawHands
23-12-2011, 01:26 AM
you don't appear to have validated the game in which Hutton smashed my hopes into little bits, and then stamped on the bits.Now validated.

ntw
23-12-2011, 01:29 AM
you don't appear to have validated the game in which Hutton smashed my hopes into little bits, and then stamped on the bits.

Probably because you don't appear to have entered the result in the spreadsheet :p

ntw
23-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Hi! I'd like to join the league (I actually signed up for the forums specifically to play). I'd probably play an orc team if that's ok.

You've just missed the start of a season, not to worry though - we should be done within a month. I see you've entered your details on the sheet - so you're off to a good start. Running an Orc team should be OK, except SirBlood has chosen Skaven which are currently full, therefore he will probably need to change his choice and he may choose Orc, since he signed up before you he'd bump you from the last Orc spot.

In the meantime I'd recommend trying to get a friendly game in (the RPS Challenge League comes highly recommended) to ensure your system is working properly and get an idea of how real mans play Blood Bowl (assuming you've never played before...)

WhiskeyTangoFox
23-12-2011, 04:27 AM
Helio and I tried to get a game going tonight, but it appears that there aren't any teams in Division F (i.e. no teams appear under the "Teams" tab)... Has it been set up correctly? Is there something messed up on my end?

Any help would be appreciated.

-WTF

Heliocentric
23-12-2011, 04:34 AM
The calander says "pre season" Jolima you suck!

NieA7
23-12-2011, 05:13 AM
Just ground out a 2-1 against Niea7/Under7's Necromantic team. Cost me a MNG, but I got to prance dodge a lot. Highlights for me include the Necromantic team's incredible luck when it came to facing sidestep and wrestle actually being useful in general. Kept forgetting to double check whether not wrestling would cause my opponent a turn over, though.

Felt like incredibly bad luck to me - BB manager gives Nullk 16 and 24 on D6/2D6 to my -10 and 1 respectively. That sidestep rat especially was always in the wrong place, most notably when I completely messed up a rather nice crowd surf opportunity. Game's probably summed up by the fact that I never caused an injury other than 1 crowd surf, despite rolling 109 block dice (I broke armor 36% of the time to the DElfs 52%).

Outpunched by elfs. AGAIN. I feel so much shame right now.

groovychainsaw
23-12-2011, 10:12 AM
I presumed someone had started E and F when I was away from my PC the other day and asked for 'anyone' to sort it. But as nothing happened :-D, I've just sorted F now.

We're still missing a player from 'E'. I think SirBlood should be in there, but at this point, I'll take anyone who applies to get it going, so there's a chance for you Pseudo310 to get in there. Failing that, if someone wants to play a filler team.... I'll finish it up this evening, assuming we've had an application. And then we should all be started. Sorry bout this Helio, I should have checked that everything was organised there, I apologise for you not getting your first game sorted (after your troubles getting hold of your opponent initially!)...

Week 1 ends 5th January chaps, so plenty of time to get that first game in!

Jolima
23-12-2011, 12:08 PM
The calander says "pre season" Jolima you suck!
Wait-what-me? :(

Ok, maybe I could have answered to groovy's call for 'anyone'. I guess I do suck. :(

(No offence taken, but that seemed kind of random.)

Heliocentric
23-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Your name is on my league in game. Groovey sucks too :p

President Weasel
23-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Probably because you don't appear to have entered the result in the spreadsheet :p

THAT WAS HUTTON'S JOB!*
I did the write-up!

I have now sacked Roy of the Reavers for the twin crimes of being genuinely terrible against Alistair Hutton and not rolling a double for his first skillup. Good riddance Roy, you reroll-eating, Wild-animal-roll-failing, waste of 170K in inducements.

*(to be fair I am not 100%, or indeed any percent, sure that Alistair knew that it was his job)

President Weasel
23-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Also, seriously folks, if you are trying to apply to Division E (and please do so, so we can get the whole season started for everyone) remember to go right into "view league" and then apply. Applying from the league finder screen does not work, because Cyanide.

Also the password is "chainsawed". Go to it, Sirblood and Pseudo310, and may the quickest application-getter-inner win!

ntw
23-12-2011, 03:17 PM
...and then post here so we know we can start the season!

Heliocentric
23-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Are we allowed star players? That vampire would add some much missed, brain power.

ntw
23-12-2011, 04:45 PM
if the difference in Team Values (tv) is great enough then you will be able to afford star players with your incentive money, however be aware that *not all the ones from the rules are present*

karandraz
23-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Are we allowed star players? That vampire would add some much missed, brain power.

And sometimes star players are not a helpful as you would like them to be!

Alistair Hutton
23-12-2011, 07:50 PM
THAT WAS HUTTON'S JOB!*
I did the write-up!

I have now sacked Roy of the Reavers for the twin crimes of being genuinely terrible against Alistair Hutton and not rolling a double for his first skillup. Good riddance Roy, you reroll-eating, Wild-animal-roll-failing, waste of 170K in inducements.

*(to be fair I am not 100%, or indeed any percent, sure that Alistair knew that it was his job)

That was totally my job, Sorry.

Not as sorry as your Minotaur obviously. On the dole, doing nothing. Which is pretty much indistinguishable from his performance in the game!111!1!

Pseudo310
23-12-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm stranded at my family's until Monday but I will complete the process then! Also I am familiar with Blood Bowl and league play so I think I'll be ok. Just let me know about the orcs. I might go for Humans or Khemri if they're not open.

ntw
24-12-2011, 12:26 AM
That last slot in DivE is still free, first come, first served (although Sirblood will need to reroll to something other than Skaven, or DElf, or Lizzies - sorry mate but they are all full up already!)

Jiiiiim
25-12-2011, 02:23 AM
Interested bystanders, note that Blood Bowl is like 6 today on Steam. Is decent price.

Tom OBedlam
25-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Merry christmas to all and a vicious new year!

Pseudo310
26-12-2011, 10:12 PM
I've applied as an orc team to DivE. Let me know if you need me to change that.

Jolima
26-12-2011, 10:50 PM
I've applied as an orc team to DivE. Let me know if you need me to change that.

I accepted the team and started Division E.

Heliocentric
27-12-2011, 01:30 AM
League F, scroll to bottom if TLDR

Taxederm and sons (all deceased) are Undead investment bankers, in looking to improve the synergistism, leadership/teamwork and out of the box thinking of their staff by undertaking team building exercises. Blood bowl was chosen at random out of a live humans stomach, most were disappointed it wasn't "Producivity simulations" (gathering human infants to be devoured by the ghouls and leaving their skeletons to develop scale models for small scale simulations of market dynamics), but reactions soon changed when 'C.E.O John Dowling' (deceased) suggested that this could be used to forward their other interest, a strong portfolio in funeral and medical services.

So it was decided, and they carried their Corporate moniker onto the pitch. The amateur team set were against equally fresh Amazon Gridiron Maidens.

The heat had no effect on the Undead but 2 of the Amazon players were out with heat exhaustion but regardless the GI Maidens looked to run rings around the bankers. Only a daring gambit by the ghoul lawyer 'Briar Smith Attorney at law' stood between the Amazons an an early touchdown, he served papers long enough for the "cease and desist order" to be enacted and flatten a number of players, during both my Taxederm's and Gridiron's turns. The fourth turn saw injury but mostly the ball got ignored deep in Taxederms defensive zone for the first half replaced with a brawl which resulted in no-one getting hurt badly.

The second half saw 2 deaths, one from an Amazon tripping over while running too fast, another when faced between simply knocking out an aggressor 'C.O.O Aaron Scott' decided to lie on his back too... despite it not being needed (face palm here) to promote an equal opportunities agenda. They both laid down dead on the pitch on the for some time, then Aaron Scott got back up again, the Gridiron player didn't for more obvious reasons.

But, due to quick thinking by the ghoul 'Prosecutor Marcus Phillips' realise a loop hole and quickly sought action against the Gridiron end zone, this was halted when his motion was blocked by a foot to the face but a collection of his peers supported his action and he ended the dead lock with a touchdown and filed for negligence against the Amazon defence.

By the last 2 turns only 5 Amazons were standing and the 10 investment bankers and associates were delivering a seminar on coffin suggestions and medical supplies, no transactions were completed.

Result: Taxederm 1 - 0 Grid Iron Maidens
Casualties: 1 injured zombie (no effect), 2 dead Amazons, 2 injured Amazons(effects unclear)

edit: According to WhiskeyTangoFox one of the deceased Amazon players,an appropriately named "Bloody Mary" has been recruited by my team as a zombie... So that's nice.

ntw
28-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Heh, good start - a freebie lineman in your first game.

smaug81
28-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Well, it finally happened. Horatibro Nelson, star Berserker, veteran of 15 matches, responsible for 4 TDs, 3 deaths, 12 assorted casualties, and 8 KOs, was crippled yesterday. By a bloody poncy elf, no less. When we dragged him off the field with a smashed collar bone, the apothecary took one look at the screaming, frothing madman enraged with the pain, and said "Nah, mate, nah, that man is dead. Stone dead, I'm sure of it. Nothing for me to do here," and beat a hasty retreat.

And thus, in small, went my match against HughTower's Wood Elves. Although it started well, with me winning the kick and getting a blitz on the kickoff result, which saw an Ulfwerener clear a space for my Runner to get under and catch the kick, that was about all that went well. From that point on, the sheer amount of dodge, sidestep, and other annoyances made it difficult to successfully knock anyone over or clear a way forward, and Hugh gradually prised the ball from my grasp, passed it downfield, and scored in short order, leaving me only 3 or 4 turns to reciprocate. Which became rather unlikely when my Yeti promptly caused a turnover before I'd had a chance to pick up the ball, which had been kicked deep into the back left corner of the pitch. Despite my frantic attempts to secure the ball safely, a botched attempt at a short pass left an easy opportunity for an elf to swoop in, grab the ball, and ponce his way into the endzone. 2-0 going into the second half.

The second half went more according to plan, in spite of the Woodies getting their own blitz result on the kickoff. The blitz proved to be more harm than help, as it ended prematurely when a Wardancer failed a dodge and was knocked out by the pitch. On my next turn, the other Wardancer, which had successfully made it through my lines, was injured (or KO'd?) by a blitzing Ulfwerener. With his teeth somewhat drawn as a result, Hugh spent the rest of the match slowing my cage down to the best of his ability. While the defense was quite capably managed, it was ultimately not enough to stop me from grinding may way to at least scoring the consolation TD on my last turn.

Nevertheless, a 2-1 loss for the Brolafs, and with a star player due to be sacked in the process. A painful result to say the least, but a fun match all the same. I shudder to think what Snoozer's Dwarfs may do to me next week, though.

Dentharial
29-12-2011, 08:17 PM
So, I picked up Blood Bowl in the Steam sale on a whim, and have found myself consumed by it over the last week. I was directed here by the Steam news and hey, this looks like fun!

I realise the next season doesn't start for about a month, but that seems just about right for me to er...learn how to do anything remotely decent. I'll add myself to the bottom of the spreadsheet as soon as I actually settle on a team.
I'm highly tempted by Wood Elves, but they just seem so squishy, so I'm also playing around with High Elves and, bizarrely, Necromantic (doing runny stuff with ghouls and werewolves). Any advice for a completely green newbie would be much appreciated, and please feel free to PM me so I don't clog up this thread.

ntw
29-12-2011, 09:09 PM
@ Dentharial - there's a good few posts about advice for newbies in the last few pages, well worth a look and they shouldn't be too far back or hard to find :)

Axler
30-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Also take a look at http://bbtactics.com/ lots of good infor there for a beginner.

Gorm
31-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Just played against Combats Chaos team. 3-1 to him.

Prester John
01-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Hi All,

Picked up BB in the steam sale and am having a blast. The SP game is proving too easy so a foray into the proper game
seems to be in order :) I've not played the board game since about one game of the 1st edition which didn't leave me too impressed. I enjoy board games generally and have a fair collection leaning towards over complicated wargames!

The teams i've played so far, the Wood Elves are most fun so i'd go with them as a first MP team. I see from the spreadsheet they don't seem to be oversubscribed!

Look forwardto seeing you on the pitch!

regards

Steve

Jiiiiim
01-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Hello SteveJohn. Season won't be over for a couple more weeks so I'd recommend getting some games in the challenge league in the meantime.

groovychainsaw
02-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Chaps! I can only see half the games completed on the sheet and we're due to move people on Thursday night (the 5th). Let me know if you're going to miss your game, otherwise they'll be defaulted, we've all had long enough by thursday :-). I presume no-one would be stupid enough to fill in the spreadsheet, but if you haven't, make it so!

New peoples! Hello! This current season ends 25th January and then we'll spend the following week (or so) getting the new season started, at which point you can join us. We look forward to inflicting pain upon you (and in the game).

Heliocentric
02-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Two of the teams in F have had mutually exclusive availability. The other 2 players (one is me) have accepted waiting until the 8th and then catching up.

boots468
02-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the game Desvergh - a few dice rolls differently and it could have ended very differently, but in the end I feel the draw was fair. Also, thanks for not killing any skinks! This was my first game with Lizards, and I'm still a bit worried about their fragility.

desvergeh
02-01-2012, 08:51 PM
The David Icke Experience vs Bishi Bashi Speshal (Division 6).

The season got off to a good start for both teams, with hefty servings of violence. Blocks were being dished out left, right and centre, and the two teams seemed evenly matched.

A fluffed offence by the orc team in the first half led to a strong attack by the lizards, which was barely halted. Halftime found both teams still on 0, however the Icke's turned this around, scoring the first TD of the match in turn 4 of the 2nd half.

Fearing all was lost the orcs gave into their bloodlust, however a successful series of blocks left an opening in the Icke's defence, allowing the orc cage to roll forward and equalize on the final turn.

Good match Boots.

Pseudo310
03-01-2012, 04:03 AM
somanyrobots said he would post a write-up, but just confirming that we played our match and the Squigtown Stompaz came out on top. I've included an in-game screenshot of one of my two gobbos (the second who suffered a painful injury moments later) in a bit of a pickle. However, he employed a classic goblin stratagem (the 'RUN AWAYZ!' Maneuver) and managed to squeak out.

somanyrobots
03-01-2012, 04:12 AM
The match opened with the Squigtown Stompaz kicking off to the Lucky Lycanthropes. Limbsnatcher the ghoul recovered the kick, and moved into a cage. A break up the right hand side of the field led to Limbsnatcher and a wight comrade deep in orcish territory, only to make some terrible blunders and get fiercely taken down. (Meanwhile, of course, the orcs were pounding the unliving daylights out of the zombie linemen). With the ball loose in the back of orcish territory, a furious scramble ensued to recover, with many tackles all around. At last, the ball was recovered by Kwikrot the goblin, who was promptly surrounded by the necromantic bruiser brigade. Despite a daring escape by Kwikrot, the half (plagued with red skulls throughout) ended scoreless, with the ball near the center line.

The Lycanthropes kicked off in the second half, and the Squigtown thrower recovered the ball. The outcome was predetermined, with black orcs battering zombies out of the way clear to the endzone. While most of the Lucky team was tied up by orc blitzers, Limbsnatcher the ghoul slowed down the orcish advance with a desperate block; but on the following turn, he was cruelly murdered by a black orc. The Stompaz ran the ball in on the twelfth turn. 1-0.

The Lycanthropes received the kick-off, and immediately set to work on screwing things up. Coffinslicer, the surviving ghoul, spent three turns at it and yet proved himself entirely incapable of picking up the ball. (He will be severely punished. Seriously, one ghoul killed and the other incompetent?) On the final turn of the game, a lucky orc block wound up shoving the ball into the hands of a zombie, but the situation was hopeless, and the Lycanthropes ended the game screwing around in their own half, attempting (and failing) to farm for SPP.

So ended the match, 1-0 for the Squigtown Stompaz. An excellent match, and kudos to pseudointellectual for being a very pleasant opponent!

mrpier
03-01-2012, 09:53 AM
I played my first match with my skaven team against darkweebles ogres in Div. E and it didn't end well for him. A bit worried about six players with mighty blow I opted for an extra apoth and a bribe in inducements. Suffice to say I didn't need the extra apoth since I was winning the hurt game, giving an ogre a permanent injury on my first blitz, another ogre got KO-ed and was out for most of the match and all the snotlings were injured or KO'ed after the first half. As the match progressed it soon became apparent that it wasn't about winning or losing, but how much I was gonna win with. Darkweebles fairly fresh ogre team used their only reroll early in each half, and they suffered dearly for it, failing to pick up the ball and losing tacklezones/blocks/blitzes to bonehead. I imagine it wasn't much fun playing the ogres at that point.

Anyway my skaven ran in five goals and scored some spp from injuries, making this a very nice first game for them experience-wise, so if an admin could take a look and validate the game I'd be happy. :-)

Darkweeble - thanks for the game and good luck and kudos for going with the ogres.

ntw
03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
@ mrpier & Darkweeble - yoinks! sounds like the absolute reversal of my Skaven game (I was Skavens, we lost 4-0)

laneford
03-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Myself and Alethron just attempted to play our game, but my router had other ideas. We're going to try and replay tomorrow evening.

Kapouille
03-01-2012, 06:37 PM
I've recently acquired BB and thought I'd drop a "hello" as per the instructions to join the RPS leagues.

I've played a fair deal of BB in the (relatively) distant past with proper lead(pewter) figures + cardboard/paper so I'd say I'm not a complete newbie to it (the game interface does require some getting-used-to, though)

I'm looking forward to joining the RPS league whenever there's a slot available to me!

Jolima
03-01-2012, 08:04 PM
I've recently acquired BB and thought I'd drop a "hello" as per the instructions to join the RPS leagues
Hello yourself and welcome. Make sure you don't miss the other part of the instructions: Signing up on the spreadsheet. Slots are filled based on the order in there, so put your name down even if you're not sure on what team to play yet.

Kapouille
03-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Hello yourself and welcome. Make sure you don't miss the other part of the instructions: Signing up on the spreadsheet. Slots are filled based on the order in there, so put your name down even if you're not sure on what team to play yet.

Aha! I thought I had to wait to be told to sign in on the spreadsheet. I shall do that at once.

Edit : I will be playing hobbits!
Edit2 : Err, halflings, of course.

Heliocentric
03-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Edit : I will be playing hobbits!
Edit2 : Err, halflings, of course.
I look forward to... fouling your Treeman and ...playing against you soon.

Kapouille
03-01-2012, 10:05 PM
I look forward to... fouling your Treeman and ...playing against you soon.

Sorry to disappoint, but I've noticed that there was already a halfling team, but no Goblins yet.
Treemen are too smart and too strong anyway, so let's go for green skins!

Pseudo310
03-01-2012, 10:07 PM
I think that Halfling team was yours. ;) There definitely wasn't one on the spreadsheet before today, and I don't see one on there now.

Kapouille
03-01-2012, 10:10 PM
I think that Halfling team was yours. ;) There definitely wasn't one on the spreadsheet before today, and I don't see one on there now.

I see one, coach being Rakysh on the spreadsheet... Or maybe am I not looking in the right place?

Pseudo310
03-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Sorry! Disregard me. I was looking at the race balance sheet which looks like it's not accurate.

Edit: Now that I'm looking at it again, I think the Z division is inactive teams.

Rakysh
03-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Yeah, the boys are taking a break. As fun as watching the little bastards a) die and b) skip through tackle zones like they're out on a picnic is, I miss causing carnage, and I've got exams coming up this January. Also feel free to gangfoul that treeman, because while six of your players are doing that the rest of the team will be making its merry way down field.

Heliocentric
04-01-2012, 01:51 AM
I'm eager to see who and how I levelled up in league F do all matches need to be finished before validation?

groovychainsaw
04-01-2012, 10:01 AM
No, us admin types need to be a bit sharper getting on there and validating ;-). I'll try to complete some tonight, been a busy start back at work! :-)

Skydancer
04-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Hello everybody, new here but long time reader; been practicing on bb these last months and would like to apply with my Khemri. I already logged myself into the sheet and am awaiting next season eagerly.

See you in the field soon! :v

alh_p
04-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Happy new year everyone, I'm afraid I'm holding up proceedings in Div F as I'm not available untill this weekend to play my game with Mr Ergonomic Cat. I'd of course rather play the game but I will understand if defaulting the game is preffered by Admins or the rest of the div.

groovychainsaw
04-01-2012, 11:35 AM
You're ok al - helio already pm'd me to let me know about Div F, and as long as you don't mind catching up again later and you're not upsetting the others in your divisions it should be fine :-)

President Weasel
04-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Yeah, the boys are taking a break. As fun as watching the little bastards a) die and b) skip through tackle zones like they're out on a picnic is, I miss causing carnage, and I've got exams coming up this January. Also feel free to gangfoul that treeman, because while six of your players are doing that the rest of the team will be making its merry way down field.

I'll catch the short-arsed little buggers up next turn and kick their heads in :)

Alini
04-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Dead Can Can vs. Brewery Management 2-0

To the great delight of anyone that has played Dwarves before, yesterday they got punched, knocked out, badly injured and killed by Mummies, Wights and even the errant Zombie, while Ghouls danced mad circles around them with the ball.

On a technical game note, has anyone had one of their players not bother to show up on the pitch when setting up at the start of the game? And then magically show up during the next drive?

ntw
04-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah, it's a known "feature" which occasionally raises its butt-ugly head. The player disappears and is non-selectable, but then appears in a seemingly random place on the pitch once the match restarts.

Jolima
04-01-2012, 01:32 PM
It can often be circumvented by selecting one of the preset formations, but if you notice it too late the time might run out while you're moving everyone back where they belong again, so use it with caution.

There are a few other bugs for the setup phase as well:

Sometimes a 12th player will show up on your TD zone, this will let you play with all 12 for the drive, but that's obviously cheating so just leave a player there and he will be removed again on the kickoff. (Or keep one player out of the action if you notice too late.)

Sometimes one player will refuse to be substituted from the field. I think this happens with a player that you buy just before starting the match, so I'd suggest logging out and in again when you've done that.

There might be others as well, but these are the ones I can remember right now.

jlahnum
04-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Hello, I was referred here by my friend who is also playing in Divisions of Death. I'd be interested in joining you guys as I've been looking for another Blood Bowl league to join. I run a small one myself for just my friends. I have a 1000 point Chaos team ready to go, but if there's no openings for Chaos I could make a different team just let me know.

My steam handle is jlahnum and so is my coach name on Blood Bowl. Looking forward to playing you guys. I'm on Eastern time by the way.

ntw
04-01-2012, 06:28 PM
I see you're on the sheet already, good start :)

The start of next season is approximately 3 weeks away, keep an eye on this thread as often as you can and especially around then.

Chaos is available at the moment, BUT sirblood chooses before you (he was earlier in the "new players queue") AND he has currently chosen a "full" race (Skaven) so he'll need to choose another team and may therefore choose the last available Chaos team. Of course it could all be modified by reboots and dropouts so basically keep an eye on this thread ;)

Alini
04-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the info ntw and Jolima :)

ntw
04-01-2012, 06:38 PM
No worries - I learnt something too from Jolima, I didn't know about those fixes :)

Rakysh
04-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Could I put myself on the joining as a new team type queue as well? Do I have to change my spreadsheet thing? This will be as a fresh team, I've had enough of halflings for now.

ntw
04-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Could I put myself on the joining as a new team type queue as well? Do I have to change my spreadsheet thing? This will be as a fresh team, I've had enough of halflings for now.

You'll need to change your "Z" in D59 to "R1" (Rebooting, 1st in queue), and enter your new team in C59 with {} around it (e.g. {Gob}) to keep the race balance sheet honest.

Heliocentric
04-01-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm the coach of Taxederm in league F, can I request a validation of my first match against the Gridiron maidens?

Jolima
04-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I've validated all games which were recorded in the spreadsheet.

One game in div 6 wasn't.

Rakysh
04-01-2012, 09:58 PM
You'll need to change your "Z" in D59 to "R1" (Rebooting, 1st in queue), and enter your new team in C59 with {} around it (e.g. {Gob}) to keep the race balance sheet honest.
Done and done.

Heliocentric
04-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I've validated all games which were recorded in the spreadsheet.

One game in div 6 wasn't.

Badass! Thank you.oh.... My god, 2 ghouls both 1 point short. god damn it.

This validation doesnt match what happened? i won 60k and we were sure a zombie amazon, can mistakes happen?

ntw
04-01-2012, 10:55 PM
There is also a winnings bug :(

one word explanation here -> Cyanide

Not sure about the zombie amazon though - did she definitely die? Not Apo-ed back to life?

Heliocentric
04-01-2012, 10:58 PM
She actually apo'd to death.
Stupid doctors.
Stupid Cyanide.

laneford
05-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Stupid doctors.
Stupid Cyanide.

You have to actually still click buy even though they're supposed to be automatically necro'd into your team. I discovered this after missing out on a few free rotters.

ChainsawHands
05-01-2012, 12:12 AM
So potatoedoughnut and I played our match. Elf Harm have quite a good record against necro, and they beat Clone High 3-1 after a last minute touchdown from a wolf. A blitzer died (not the good one), a lineelf got a -AG (so he'll be getting sacked), I think a wight got a groin strain?

The first half was a hilarious mess of failed dice on both sided, until I decided all the easy stuff I'd been trying hadn't been working, so went for sickeningly elfy plays that shouldn't have worked - so of course they did. Also the sacrifice of our blitzer to Nuffle helped, I think.

Indeed Nuffle was to smile on us even after the game, as the two TDs he'd scored meant that my MV10 AG8 catcher levelled up again, giving Nuffle the opportunity to bestow upon him the gift of a +ST. Oh Holy Nuffle, thou hast created a monster.

Anyway, thanks to potatoedoughnut for the game.

potatoedoughnut
05-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Yeah you have to click the buy button on the screen that pops after the match. Also, Cyanide.

In other news Mr Hands and I played our first match of div 1. His pro elves vs my necros. The first half was a comedy of errors starting off with a blitz for the kicking elves which then progressed to several injuries for the elves and lots of 1s for both sides. Eventually the elves were able to be elves and score in some silly manner. The rest of the half was just as bad with neither side able to do much due to dice.

In the second half the elves regained their elfyness while the necros continued to fluff the ball about and try to punch elves. The punching went ok, but anything related to the ball failed miserably. The elves scored twice more, while the necros managed to fumble their way to a consolation TD on turn 16, making the final result 3-1 to the elves.

GG CH, break many chaos mans with your crazy elves.

ntw
05-01-2012, 01:14 AM
oh yeah - isn't there a screen which pops up after the match allowing you to buy any mercs you used or "buy" (for 0 gold) any recruits you gained (/killed)? I forgot all about it since it took like 5 FUCKING SEASONS for my Nurgle team to actually kill anyone...

Wolfenswan
05-01-2012, 01:16 AM
Jay-Tee and me are constantly missing each other, hopefully a delay of a few days is ok?

ntw
05-01-2012, 01:18 AM
Jay-Tee and me are constantly missing each other, hopefully a delay of a few days is ok?

Assuming your opponents in your Div are OK with it, and it won't cause future matches to push back too late, then yeah - no problem :)

mrpier
05-01-2012, 09:10 AM
... AG8 catcher ...

I call shenanigans on this one. :-p

President Weasel
05-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Stupid doctors.
Stupid Cyanide.

You don't have to choose the apoc result if the first one is better.
Also, while we are on the subject, if you use the apoc and EITHER result is badly hurt you can choose that result and your player will be healed up and available on your next play.

Dentharial
05-01-2012, 01:04 PM
I added myself to the spreadsheet a week or so ago as a TBC ready for when the new season eventually swings around. Now I've decided I'm going to have a go as High Elves, at least for my first couple of seasons, so I'll edit that in now. Still very much eagerly following the thread, and enjoying reading the match reports.

Kapouille
05-01-2012, 04:12 PM

Aha! Well, I'll pick up Halflings then, instead of Gobs! I'll change my entry in the spreadsheet to reflect that.

Edit : Done

ChainsawHands
05-01-2012, 04:44 PM
I call shenanigans on this one. :-p
Heh, yeah, slip of the numpad there I think - he's only MV10 AG5. And ST4 now, of course...

Alistair Hutton
05-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Heh, yeah, slip of the numpad there I think - he's only MV10 AG5. And ST4 now, of course...

Elves are scum.

Heliocentric
05-01-2012, 07:13 PM
You don't have to choose the apoc result if the first one is better.
Also, while we are on the subject, if you use the apoc and EITHER result is badly hurt you can choose that result and your player will be healed up and available on your next play.
They were both death, another player died later in the game.

LowKey
05-01-2012, 10:54 PM
A clash of cold blood and no blood saw me wrangle a 2-1 victory against Karandraz' Lizards, it was a very fun game from my perspective, good too and fro with me securing the second touchdown with a couple of turns left and only just preventing a skink TD on the last, cheers for the game pal!

Rakysh
05-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Elves are scum.
The key fourth stat is AV 7 (I imagine). Stampy stampy.

DarkFenix
05-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Khellogg's Khorneflakes 2 - RageCakes 0

Well shit, I've seen the dice favour one team before, but Nuffle went after the orcs with a vengeance in this match. There was a hefty TV difference, allowing Ragekage both a master chef and bloodweiser babe and for once the chef performed, stealing two rerolls in each half. Not that it helped.

The first half could have been mistaken for Chaos vs Halflings, with Av9 failing like paper, three injured line orcs, one unconscious black orc and countless stuns, with one measly unconscious beastman in compensation. It was a steady grind upfield, paved with incapacitated orcs. Touched down in turn 8.

Second half and things didn't improve for Ragekage, his unconscious black orc failed two rolls despite a bloodweiser babe, while the unconscious beastman got up first go. Having only 9 orcs on field meant the chances of equalising were slim, but a blitz even on kickoff snuffed out any chance. The outnumbered orcs were immediately surrounded and given no chance to move around, Ragekage's dice luck (and the prodigious amount of guard on my team) causing a turnover before enough Chaos players could be denied a free block next turn. Sure enough the ball carrier was soon enough isolated and floored, while the rest of the orcs were systematically targeted and beaten the crap out of. The low point of the half for Ragekage came when a block finally carved through a black orc's armour and rolled dead. Apothecary result? Dead.

Still, two interesting things happened late in the half. Firstly, my Minotaur perfectly caught the ball first time (3SPP to level him, thought "hell why not?"), then in the closing seconds, a marked orc managed to make a perfect pass, which was caught by a black orc in two tackle zones.

Good game Ragekage, I guess the best thing that can be said is you probably won't get another unwanted promotion, so you'll not be forced against higher TV teams.

Oh and some may remember I've rolled a +1St and +1Ag on the same chaos warrior. Well after this game I just rolled another +1St on a beastman. So that's 2 St5 and 4 St4 players (plus a St4 blitz if I so please) on my team now. Now I just need more mighty blow and a sprinkle of claw.

Schizoslayer
05-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Apologies for this but I'm going to have to drop out of this season. I just don't have enough time anymore to play my games.

DarkFenix
06-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Ok day 1 is technically at an end now. All but one match validated, all possible divisions rolled on to day 2 so people can get organising. Defaulted Schizo's first and second games, sorry to hear you're dropping out of the season mate, hope you find more time for future seasons.

low_drums and clavin, your division 6 match is the unvalidated one, it'd be helpful if one of you could verify the authenticity of the result. Any two goal lead victory is suspect because that's what a disconnected game defaults to (in other words, because Cyanide). Ideally just enter it to the spreadsheet when you finish playing, that way we know the result is legit. I'm pretty sure we'll assume it is legit, since someone posting here about a wrong result is a whole lot more likely. Either way, please enter your results to the spreadsheet in your remaining games.

Time's a-tickin' for the rest of the unplayed games. Try to get something sorted out with your opponents before the weekend if possible guys.

ChainsawHands
06-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Elves are scum.They really are complete bastards.

President Weasel
06-01-2012, 03:10 AM
Apologies for this but I'm going to have to drop out of this season. I just don't have enough time anymore to play my games.

It's an hour and a bit every ten days!

darkweeble
06-01-2012, 04:57 AM
Regarding my hideous match vs mrpier:

Ogres are SO DIFFICULT. If you don't injure at least two players in the first three turns it's basically game over. I lost one Ogre for the game on turn one and I think on turn two or three my other got KO'd and didn't get up until the second drive of the second half. It was a fun game regardless. Thanks mrpier!

LowKey
06-01-2012, 03:31 PM
I think they are generally seen as the worst team in the game right?

Nullkigan
06-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Clearly you haven't played GroovyChainsaw in the challenge league.

groovychainsaw
06-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Yup, I play them fairly often, they have serious weaknesses, along with some pretty hilarious moments. The best strategy is - if you have to score fast, throw a snotling (lots of luck involved - a +AG snot would help, but has never happened to me, and probably wouldn't last long anyway!). If you have time (at least 6 turns!), make the pickup with an ogre (4+) and run it in, in a cage of snotlings (hoping they don't bonehead out on the TD-scoring turn 8). Use the other ogres to bash people and try and thin out any screens.
The biggest problem in a league is they actually get worse as they level up alongside others. No access to general skills means no block, tackle or pro without doubles. Without those skills, teams with dodge and block can start to cause real trouble, even with your natural strength advantage. You need so many rerolls to keep bonehead in check that your team is always over-inflated. Elves/skaven are kryptonite, with no players who exert any real dodge-prevention and a maximum MA of 5, if you don't score injuries fast and in quantity you will lose by 3/4 TDs in rapid succession. You can often hold well against bashy teams, as they tend to suffer against a line of 6 str5 players :-)

I'd add I've never gone into a game expecting to win with Ogres without luck on my side, grinding out draws always left me feeling pretty satisfied, as much as a win with any 'competitive' team. You need good rolls. Average rolls will mean you lose. They're pretty luck-dependant.

JayTee
06-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Annoyingly ran out of real-life time with my match with Wolfenswan this afternoon in Div 3 with me 1-0 up at half-time. Both of us are happy to reschedule and play tomorrow if that works ok for you folks? Apologies for the continual frustration with us two :p

If that's ok, the match will need resetting. If you'd prefer to push the division on I think Wolfen would probably concede the match, but honestly we still had half the match to go with him on the offensive so it could easily have gone to any result and I'd feel more comfortable with a 0-0 default. Up to our semi-benevolent dictator!

groovychainsaw
06-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Try and get it sorted tomorrow if you can. A half-time situation with only one TD in it probably isn't a fair reflection of a game (we all know what the dice can do to you in a second half), so either a rematch or a 0-0 result would be fairer in this case. I'd rather see it played! As for others, a few games I know about, but for anyone who hasn't posted to explain their tardiness, they'll be defaulted tonight/tomorrow (depending on how quickly I get online). Everyone else is already on week 2, thanks to DarkFenix ;-).

JayTee
06-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Yeah, a riot burning a turn on the kickoff and a miscalculation on Wolfenswan's part (Missing a TD chance by one square) left it with anyone's game at the whistle. A default would be a much fairer reflection if we don't get the match, but barring internet catastrophe or something equally worrying we'll get it done tomorrow.

Pseudo310
06-01-2012, 06:03 PM
For some reason my mouse was sticky and it dragged some of the spreadsheet tabs around. I think I got them back in the right order (I put them in the order in the most recent revision before my screwup) but apologies for that. It was purely unintentional.

I am both excited and terrified about playing against DarkWeeble's ogres in my next match.

Gorm
06-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Unless i have a terrible memory, i dont remember playing my week 2 game with Schizo but a result has been added to the score sheet which says i won 2-0. So if we did play i'm happy with that result, and if we didnt then i'm also happy to accept this result.

Jiiiiim
06-01-2012, 07:39 PM
I think he just dropped out as that's the default forfeit score

Gorm
06-01-2012, 08:14 PM
I was thinking that. But couldnt see a post about it after a very quick search.

Dog Pants
06-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Hello! I've been meaning to sign up here for ages and the RPS article spurned me on at last. A day after the new season started I notice. Bother. Still, if it means I can get a few games I can wait a month to start. I'll follow this up by filling out the tables etc, someone please give me a prod or a kick in the Steam if I get it wrong.

ntw
06-01-2012, 11:06 PM
I was thinking that. But couldnt see a post about it after a very quick search.

Further up on the very page you posted that!

Also - looks like someone has sorted the season info sheet - could cause problems with the scheduled fixtures...

:(

I've locked the sheet while I try and sort it out

MadDave123
06-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Hey chaps. Unfortunately my game vs. Phill Cameron didn't happen as I couldn't get hold of Phill. I posted twice on the organisation thread for Div B and sent him a PM, but got no reply to either. I also added him on Steam.

I don't know if he's away or something, but yeah, the match didn't happen. :(

ntw
06-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Hello! I've been meaning to sign up here for ages and the RPS article spurned me on at last. A day after the new season started I notice. Bother. Still, if it means I can get a few games I can wait a month to start. I'll follow this up by filling out the tables etc, someone please give me a prod or a kick in the Steam if I get it wrong.

Actually you missed the start of the season by ~10 days, which is good 'cos it means less time to wait :)

Also the Sheet is unlocked again - I *think* I fixed all the problems, please shout/PM me if you notice anything wrong...

Gorm
07-01-2012, 02:12 AM
Further up on the very page you posted that!

Ah ha, you are correct.

DEFAULT DEFAULT DEFAULT!!

ntw
07-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Ah ha, you are correct...<snip>

Well, it had to happen sooner or later ;)

<snip>...DEFAULT DEFAULT DEFAULT!!

Already done (by DF IIRC).

JayTee
07-01-2012, 06:05 PM
EDIT: Sorted! Expect match report finally once we've actually played our match

JayTee
07-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Queens of the Neighborhood (Amazon) vs The Dead Comic Society (Khemri)

2 - 0

The rematch that was about as different from the first match as possible. First match, Wolfenswan's amazons seemed to be made out of paper and have the dodging capability of an aircraft carrier. This match I think he failed one, maybe two dodges in the whole match, and despite a last run of KOs in the second half gave as good as he got in bashing. Oh and no-one died this time, which was no doubt a relief to Wolfenswan who lost a Blitzer in the second turn of the aborted game :p

With a ridiculous 310k in inducements Wolfenswan got the ever-worrying Zara with her stakes of doom.

First half started out fairly normally, Amazons receiving and a fail-kick popped the ball just behind the LoS. Bit of bashing left Zara on the floor and despite two gangfouls, I could only roll a stunned result on injury and the skeleton fouler got sent off after the second attempt. Eventually the slippery Amazons ran the ball in for a fairly easy first TD, and left the Khemri 3 turns to level the scores. The Khemri seemed to forget how to hit things and a fairly miserable drive left them doing naff all. At this point the Khemri had suffered 4 casualties, one from falling on my face and three from the Amazons, but amazingly 3 of the 4 were successfully regen-ed and the other was a simple Badly Hurt. Amazons had two players KOed who stubbornly refused to wake up.

Second half starts with another Quicksnap, but in classic Khemri fashion the undead failed to pick up the bloody ball. Thanks to this, and another round of clean dodges, the Amazons pounced on the ball and managed a very convincing second TD. Last push of the game to at least put a mark on the scoreboard had the Khemri get the ball from the touchback and shamble forwards with 4 turns to score. Eventually a hole was opened in the Amazon lines and despite this the Khemri were entirely unable to capitalise on this and were left unable to score.

So all in all a rather frustrating loss there, the blocking dice were completely useless for me until late in the second half by which point it was basically over. The inability to pick up the bloody ball handed over a second TD, and the seeming ease of dodging by the Amazons meant they were easily able to sort out their lines to oppose the ball-cage.

On the plus side a ridiculous pass from a Skeleton gave him enough SPP to push to level 2, and my second Thro-Ra nabbed MVP pushing him up to level 2 and likely Block. Have to see what I can get on the Skeleton, but I think I've got two paths to go with him. Either another Wrestle Skeleton, eventually up to Wrestle/Fend, or another Dirty Player. I'm leaning to the former, while I've already got 2 skeletons with Wrestle and one of those with Fend, my Dirty Player skeleton has managed to foul one player off the pitch in the 10 or so matches I've had him playing. Hrm.

Vexing Vision
07-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Once upon a cent, the Blood moon rises,
An omen as ancient as the first human's wail,
And red turn the waters of the Serpent's River,
And woman's hearts turn feared and frail.

The weak shall fall, the nimble stumble,
And doom shall foul the ball of glory,
That no woman shall hold in her hands
The chance to win, a chance for victory.

And strength shall fail! No matter how,
The brawn grow weak as with old age,
And the armors of enemies uncount,
Unscratched by impotent rage.

Once upon a cent, the Blood moon raises
And dooms those who dare to play
But once it sets, one day soon,
There will be elf-blood to pay.

Six attempts to pick up the ball in a row with my Agi 4 linegirl failed and burned through rerolls faster than a halfling goes through free cheeseburgers. Plenty of Pows on both sides refuse to pass the Elves armor. A critical dodge fails in time to equalize during the first half. The Sirens are completely unable to move their cage forward in the second.

The 0-2 to Alethron's Elves was the most disastrous loss the Sirens have taken so far, but it was earned. And there will be elf-blood on their claws yet when the inevitable rematch comes.

Pseudo310
08-01-2012, 04:06 PM
The Squigtown Stompaz (Orcs) have had their match-up against Big Bruised Ego (Ogres). After managing to get a snotling standing on the touchdown line and killing the Stompaz star goblin, the snotling was creamed by an orc blitzer and the rest of the game turned against BBE. One of their ogres was knocked out with an injury, and after that snotling after snotling left the pitch groaning. Stompaz won 2-0.

Thanks DarkWeeble for being such a good sport and for giving me pointers on upcoming games with my orcs.

President Weasel
08-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Red Skull Reavers 2 - 0 Four-colour villains

Last time I met Groovy, in the RPS Open, his team cut a swathe through my orcs, with my team suffering three deaths (although to be fair, one of them was a goblin eaten by my own troll). This game started out like it was going exactly the same way, with me suffering two injuries in the first two turns.

My chaos mans' unexpectedly non-incompetent passing (my ag4 beast man threw the ball, and a chaos warrior caught it! it was amazing) allowed me to score a touchdown, and I held Groovy off for the rest of the half.

In the second half, Groovy's team got folded, spindled, and mutilated as even my men without mighty blow started breaking armour with every second punch. As his formation melted away like a bait ball in one of those beautifully shot Blue Planet documentaries the sinister circling shapes of my sharky beastmen got closer and closer to the ball. Groovy's attempts to get out of the situation relied on him rolling the dice, and this turned out to be a very very bad idea. Pretty much every skill roll he tried was unsuccessful. I closed out the game with a touchdown, but it was over long before that.

groovychainsaw
08-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Yup, that about sums it up. Everything i tried to do to get out of a bad situation failed, even with a perfectly launched pass to my catcher in the TD zone at the end of the first half. Nuffle had already tried to scupper me by taking out 4 players in sweltering heat in that half, so it was a brave effort. Second half, after the ball going short, my hesitation over who should get the touchback meant the game decided it should be my ogre (thanks, Cyanide!). Sweltering heat had meant my star player blitzer I wanted to take the ball on was lying down which threw me for the 10 seconds it gave me before deciding. One bonehead meant it took 2 turns just to get it into the hands of someone else to free up the ogre for bashing. My pows (and those injuries my mighty blow chaps had been causing) turned to pushes, and as the chaosmans closed in on my cage, I kept pushing rather than hitting and couldn't break out to use my mobility. I started losing players and only had 5 left on the pitch, all lying down when PW passed again for a second TD.

The D6 dice decided the game for us somewhat, PW rolling mostly 5's and 6's and only one 1 all game. Whereas a quarter of my rolls were 1's, and it showed on the pitch :-). No levels, and a tricky, tight match against al hutton to try and stick in division 2 now, humans vs humans could be pretty close. I hope some of my 1s turn back to 6s in time for that game.

alh_p
08-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Div F (Day 1)

Skitter About (Skaven), Ergonomic Cat 5 - We So Dom (Delf), alh_p 2

Well played by Ergonomic Cat, I was comprehensively outplayed and it took every bit of luck on my behalf to score my 2 TDs.

Also, the skaven had me on the back-foot most of the time. 3 players down injured (BH) on my side, 1 death apo'd to -1St for the Skaven. I think Mr E. Cat Esquire shared his SPP around quite well and will have levelled some of his 4 (4!) gutter runners.

I was glad of my Blitzers' block but suffered a little when my Delves forgot they were elves and fumbled a few passes.

edit: This ends day 1 of Div F, so I (and I'm sure the other coaches) would be grateful if an Admin would be able to find the time to move the Div on.

Ergonomic Cat
08-01-2012, 06:09 PM
It was an excellent game. Nuffle was in full effect, as for the first 7 turns, alh_p couldn't catch a break. He mentioned being 3 players down - I'm pretty sure that had happened by turn 3. He spend probably 2/3 of the game outnumbered by rats.

At the end of the first 7 turns, I was up 3-0, he was down 3 players, and it seemed hopeless. I was rolling nothing worse than a push (except when I double skulled a couple times, but that's what rerolls are for!). He was hitting nothing good at all (mostly pushes against Gutters, iirc).

Then turn 7 came up, and Nuffle sneezed, looked up, and forgot what he was doing. Dice started evening out nicely at that point, with alh_p doing a very nice pick-up, throw, hand-off chain to get his delfs 5/6 the way up the field. At that point, I basically started just minimizing damage. I am constitionally incapable of passing up a 2d block, so we still mixed it up some, but mostly I was focused on minimizing his tackles while getting my GRs in place. My 5th TD came on the very last turn, after an offfield kick gave my GR the ball one step over the line (blitz) on turn 15.

Really entertaining game, especially once alh_p's dice started behaving!

darkweeble
08-01-2012, 07:35 PM
I had my MVP go to a Loner Snotling again, so I ended my match with a solid one SPP gain. I can't seem to hit anyone hard enough to do damage so it's been slow going with my Ogres. I think I'm going to be demoted a division this season. Give me another six months and I might make it to the middle of the pack.

The one SPP actually was on a Snotling who did a perfect pass to an Ogre on my final turn. I wonder if my dice are finally changing for my next match?

DarkFenix
08-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Sounds like a good start to the season for Chaos in general Pweasel, your game sounds almost like a blow for blow rerun of mine. Sadly for me my team has entered the spiralling expenses zone, might be downhill from here if I have a bad game or three.

ntw
08-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Results validated and days rolled on where possible.

@ low_drums & kazagarth - looks like a 2-0 result, can one of you confirm in the sheet please?

Heliocentric
08-01-2012, 09:52 PM
I think Mr E. Cat Esquire shared his SPP around quite well and will have levelled some of his 4 (4!) gutter runners.
My poor, poor zombies.

Cacamas
08-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Division 4: The Rakish Rodents 1 - 1 Cheese Dip Chompers

The first half started with the usual grind up the pitch for my dwarfs. Everything went relatively smoothly, with two rats sent to the injury box as a bonus. INinja132 gamely tried to stop the rolling cage but failed to get his paws on my runner. Busting open the cage on the final turn, my runner went over to make the score 1-0. The rats opted to hit my dwarfs on the LOS for the remaining turn and harvest some passing SPPs so the half ended with the dwarfs in the ascendency.

Second half and I set up a deep-lying defence to try and stymie the damn gutter runners, which left my LOS a little sparse. To cause their hulking rat ogre some issues, I put out my death roller as its opponent for his first appearance for my team. This did not work out the way I wanted: in the first turn, the rat ogre smashed the death-roller to the ground and KO'd him! I didn't dare spend my apoc in case something more serious would happen so that was that. The next few turns was spent by my team chasing the gutter runners around my half, burning the skaven re-rolls as they dodged and dodged again. Meanwhile, the LOS had the rat ogre, stormvermin and a few other rats smashing my outnumbered dwarfs to the ground again and again. Eventually, after tiring of knocking my guys down, INinja132 made his move with a runner running into the TZ and the thrower moving up to launch the ball. Which promptly fell from his hand as he winded up for the throw (butterball?). Quickly my dwarfs rushed to try to get the ball...and fell over their own feet, the clods. No doubt breathing a sigh of relief, the thrower picked up the ball, went closer to the runner still waiting impatiently and made the pass. 1-1 with 2 turns to go.

There was still a chance to nick the winner, so one runner set up with my str 4 blitzer in close attendance in one wing, hoping for a touchback. And lo! a touchback occurred from the kick off. My runner ran for the line with his escort while the rest of my team scrambled to try and tie up the rest of the rats. All to no avail - my runner got thwacked to the ground. It might still have been possible to try a last ditch passing move but I got caught by the rule that says the same player can't blitz and pass in the same turn. So, in a fit of pique, my dwarfs injured one more rat and killed another as the game ended in a draw.

Overall, a tight game with the dice rolls for both sides fairly evenly balanced.

somanyrobots
08-01-2012, 10:12 PM
After mrpier's fearsome showing against darkweeble's ogres, I was understandably nervous about facing off against him, what with my team's miserable performance in their previous match, and their already understaffed lineup.

The match began with the Lycanthropes receiving the kickoff. A fouled kick resulted in a touchback to coffinslicer the ghoul, sparing him the obscene difficulty of picking up the ball, a task he was never able to master in his previous match. The Lycanthropes started punching their way through down the right sideline. Rattatatz quickly crowded the area, and the match devolved into a vicious slugfest, one that the Lycanthropes were winning in numbers (lots of KOs), but losing in positioning). The rats succeeded in taking down the ball carrier; Ulric the wight made the recovery, but went down on his next turn all the same. Rantanplan the gutter runner scopped it up, and began sprinting for the endzone. The Lycanthropes brought him down, but a failed pickup (with RR) pushed the ball out of bounds; it came back in to center field, far from any Lycanthropes, which sealed the half, thanks to those speedy gutter runners. Though a werewolf did break a gutter runner's leg, so that's good. Rattatatz 1, Lycanthropes 0.

The second half started with a bang: Rattatatz bashed their way through the zombie line and executing a risky two-turner, a passer handing off to a GR, passing to a GR waiting in the endzone. 2-0. The next kick landed in the Lycanthropes' endzone; while the zombie line demolished the skaven line, a failed pickup resulted in the ball bouncing between all the sidelines (five bounces!) before landing in the skaven half. Recovered by a GR, who promptly caged up. Despite a furious necromantic rush, the GR broke past necromantic lines, and after two GFI's, passed to a (marked) GR deep in the necro backfield, who caught the ball and ran in another TD. 3-0. The rats kicked off again, and finally, it looked like things were shaping up for the Lycanthropes. They successfully smashed through and planted a zombie cage in the skaven centerfield, flanked by wights and werewolves. The cage advanced rapidly up the field, with Coffinslicer running the ball in for 3-1. One final turn was spent on brawling.

A hearty congratulations to mrpier, who played well and decidedly earned his victory. 3-1 Rattatatz.

Ergonomic Cat
09-01-2012, 12:34 AM
2 Gutter Runners skilled up, one has 5 SPP. ;)

I also have a conundrum. I have a Linerat who suffered a broken shoulder, and has -1 ST.

He also has 5 SPP. Should I sack him, and buy a new Linerat, or keep him, using him as a distraction, and make him something like a kicker?

Jolima
09-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Just get rid of him. Even if you can't field a full team, having a loner for a match is better than having -ST. Far better to just reearn those 5 SPP and have a functional player for the long term instead.

That's what I'd have done at least, and I think most coaches would agree.

Jiiiiim
09-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Sack him, gutter runners are far too important to the success of a skaven team to have a crippled one. They're your handlers and runners, you want them to be as hard to knock down as possible.

Ritashi
09-01-2012, 01:34 AM
I'd like to join in the next season, with Pro Elves (I haven't made the team yet so I don't know what the name will be). I'm BBDave522 on Steam - and in the game. I've added my details to the spreadsheet, anything else I need to do?

DarkFenix
09-01-2012, 03:23 AM
On the matter of the linerat I'd say it depends on your funds. If you have your full team, plenty of rerolls etc. with loads of money to spare, sure replace him. Otherwise I'd say keep him. He's a linerat, his job is to pick up all manner of horrific injuries so your valuable players don't. Park him next to something big that can't dodge and leave him there, he'll deny it movement and blitzes.

My linerat philosophy for 6 seasons was that there is no such thing as a career-ending injury. Injured linerats just get sentenced to the line of scrimmage until such time as they actually get murdered.

Ritashi: Welcome to the party, looks like you're all fine on the spreadsheet. As for what to do now? Well not much really; just keep an eye on this thread, any information on the change in season will be posted here (and between seasons this thread tends to move pretty fast as we all fuss around getting things organised again). Assuming everything takes about as long as usual, we'll be looking to get the next season going for the beginning of February. If you're unsure in any way what to do around then, just ask here and someone can point you in the right direction.

Sirblood: I'm afraid Skaven as a race choice are currently full, we keep a current limit of 5 players per team to improve variety in the DoD. It's quite possible an existing Skaven player could drop out or change team, but assuming they don't we'll have to ask you to pick another race. Take a look on the Race Balance tab of the spreadsheet, most of the teams are still open for business. On a sidenote, you're a bit unlucky with timing, a couple of seasons ago we'd run practically dry on Skaven teams, they've just had a resurgence in popularity.

Kelron
09-01-2012, 03:54 AM
If you can afford to replace it I'd say you should. Yes, linerats are there to tie up the enemy and get killed, but sometimes you'll be left in a position where it may be helpful to block with him, and that's a lot harder to do with 2 ST.

Ritashi
09-01-2012, 05:25 AM
-ST and -AG are both career ending injuries on linerats for me - sure they're cannon fodder, but the key point of Skaven is that your cannon fodder is also versatile. You can easily score with a linerat if your opponent devotes too many resources focusing on Gutter Runners. And even if he doesn't, a linerat is a good enough player that he demands a marker. A linerat can dodge, a linerat can block, a linerat can pick up the ball, and at MV 7 a linerat can zip across the pitch remarkably quickly. And, for all that, he's still exceptionally cheap at 50,000. The incredibly cheap cost means that you can easily afford to field a large roster, and replace them quickly when the inevitable turnover occurs. I'd sack him. ST 2 is a liability, and it means that a ST 3 player won't need an assist to 2-die him.

braindance
09-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Greetings Chaps :)

I've just picked up BB:LE in the steam xmas sales, and I'd be very interesting in joining the league.

However, I am totally noob, and would be more than happy to be a punching bag for as long as it takes for me to get a bit better :).

Is there room in the leagues for total noobishness, or will I get trashed constantly and not have any fun?

Also, I'm an Aussie, living in Perth but I am available to play games pretty much every evening AU time, and any time on the weekends.

Let me know if it's worth me jumping right in, or if I should play some other matches somehow first of all?

President Weasel
09-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Linerats are cheap fodder and it might be better to have your 12th or 13th player as a -ST linerat rather than not have a 12th or 13th player. However if he's your 11th player sack him and get a free loner, and if you can afford a replacement sack him and get a replacement.

Oh, hello braindance, always nice to see a new player. There's room in the league for all levels of play, and you'll learn far more from playing against people than you ever would against the AI. The season's about halfway through so it will be a couple of weeks before you can join; I'd suggest playing a couple of games in a public league like Naggaroth first for practice and to make sure you don't get the dreaded port 16952 error.

Vexing Vision
09-01-2012, 11:01 AM
The small Divisions work well to find people of your appropriate skill-level after two or three seasons. Or your luck-level, as is the case with me.

Additionally, as your team grows in TV, you will gain natural advantages over players who rose faster with a lower level TV, which... really, it all equals out. Welcome to the pit of slaughter.

groovychainsaw
09-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah, braindance, looks like we'll have a good number of new players next season, so you shouldn't be alone. I'd recommend playing a few single player games (if you haven't already) to get used to the UI and rules a bit, then a couple of online friendlies (you can always see if any of the other new guys want some practice) just to see how much harder playing real people is. If you really want to know more, the competition rule book (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=blood%20bowl%20competition%20rules&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.games-workshop.com%2FMEDIA_CustomProductCatalog%2Fm78004 9a_Blood_Bowl_Competition_Rules.pdf&ei=Fr0KT-62DYeU8gPzlPnCAQ&usg=AFQjCNHdPzyixt2CB-faekY5dVa4s6Q9cw&sig2=Chb238O2RQaBOAqraBYAWw) contains the full rules, although might be a bit overwhelming at first (it took me a good year or so to grasp everything, and I still get it wrong every now and then - I've made 2 noob errors in my last 2 matches, clicking end turn by accident, and taking too long over handing the ball to a player on a touchback... so we're all students here :). After all that, you'll still make plenty of mistakes, but the lower divisions should still give you some entertaining games, even with a few mistakes :-)

braindance
09-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Great to hear there will be noobs other than myself.

I think I'll get into some practice games over the next few days, and I'll jump into the steam group and see if I can tee up some games :)

I've read through the living rulebook a while ago, but I'm sure I've forgotten how it all works, might have another read :)

Ritashi
09-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Never forget that with some exception the general BB community (not just RPSers) can be actually really helpful. Read the Rulebook first, but then go check out some of the official forums, there's a lot of good posts and stickies (just ignore the interwoven "this game sucks" threads and posts) and if you post something asking for advice you'll get more of it than you can handle. A lot of the big names in the Blood Bowl community hang out there regularly, including several members (former members now, /cry) of the committee that wrote the rulebook. If you can't find a good practice game among some RPS folk there's a lot of coaches who are willing to give you a sort of training game, full of brilliant advice and a breakdown of exactly why that play didn't go like you were hoping it would. The most important single thing to remember when learning Blood Bowl is that luck plays a huge role, but the skill in this game comes from ensuring that a string of bad luck won't stop you dead in your tracks. Always plan for every possible outcome of an action, not just the ideal outcome. The Art of Blocking (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1310006_BB_Art_of_Blocking.pdf) is an excellent article to help you start looking at the field properly for blocking - and remember that Elves block as well as anyone else, it's all based on relative strength, assists, and the Block skill.

alh_p
09-01-2012, 07:21 PM
I rolled snake eyes on my levelled up Delf blitzer - took Mighty Blow instead of guard. Some residual chaos in my playbook...

laneford
09-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Me and Jolima attempted to play our champs game tonight.

First, the BB server disconnected us on T1.

Then my PC crashed on T1.

Then we started, and I got absolutely battered in the first half, conceding 3 touchdowns by T8.

Then my computer, possibly out of a misguided sense of loyalty, exploded again. (posting this from my EyePad)

Massive apologies to Jolima, who was handsomely winning, (i'm normally very reliable! Honest)

If an admin could set the game as a 4-0 win for him please. (I reckon thats what we would've ended up with).

Sorry again Jolima!

Jolima
09-01-2012, 11:27 PM
I'll just confirm the game as it is (3-0). At least I think that lets both of us keep passing/injury SPP and I think those are lost if we change the result.

Thanks for the game, short as it was.

Edit: Oh, and that's my 4th and final lvl 4 vampire. Two with Blodge/Sidestep, one with Block/+ST/Mighty Blow and one with Blodge/+AG. Two of them are rapidly closing in on lvl 5 as well. Hurrah!

Ergonomic Cat
10-01-2012, 03:59 AM
Greetings Chaps :)

I've just picked up BB:LE in the steam xmas sales, and I'd be very interesting in joining the league.

However, I am totally noob, and would be more than happy to be a punching bag for as long as it takes for me to get a bit better :).

Is there room in the leagues for total noobishness, or will I get trashed constantly and not have any fun?

Also, I'm an Aussie, living in Perth but I am available to play games pretty much every evening AU time, and any time on the weekends.

Let me know if it's worth me jumping right in, or if I should play some other matches somehow first of all?

I'll echo what everyone else said - jump in. The worst that happens is you lose a lot, trash your team, and start over.

My best pieces of advice: www.bbtactics.com (http://www.bbtactics.com) - amazingly good site. Pick your team, read the articles, read the Basics of Caging, read the Block article.

And the single best piece of advice: Remember that the dice will always screw you. All you can do is minimize how much. Do all your non-dice moves first. Then do all your 2-dice tackles with Block/Wrestle, then your 2-dice rolls, then your rerollables (Dodge, Sure Hands, etc). Then, if you're feeling crazy, try for 1 dice tackles or the like. But every single roll, even a 2-die tackle with Block, can fail. Assume it will, and look at your team with a thought towards "where will I be when this fails?" every time you do something.

And then remember to just say "screw it" when it matters. ;) Sometimes you gotta double GFI for a touchdown!

And and feel free to hit me up for a non-league game if you're interested, and I'm around - Ergonomic Cat on Steam.

Kapouille
10-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Then, if you're feeling crazy, try for 1 dice tackles or the like.

Or if you play Halflings (or Gobs), do 2 dice against yourself because you don't have much choice anyway, and you've got to use that bucket of rerolls somehow. Oh, and preferably dodge your way out of action :)

Alistair Hutton
10-01-2012, 12:03 PM
And then remember to just say "screw it" when it matters. ;) Sometimes you gotta double GFI for a touchdown!

As a matter of good form you have to formally declare "Elf Ball!" in chat before attempting a crazy play.

President Weasel
10-01-2012, 01:20 PM
As a matter of good form you have to formally declare "Elf Ball!" in chat before attempting a crazy play.

This. Especially if you're trying something agility-esque with orcs or dwarfs. You're also free to say "CHECK THIS OUT IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME!" - please note this almost guarantees failure, but in the unlikely event that your black orc does pull off that catch, three dodges, and two go for its, it makes the whole thing look even better.

Gorm
10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
I always forget to do this, and so my stupid ideas never work.

alh_p
10-01-2012, 03:54 PM
This. Especially if you're trying something agility-esque with orcs or dwarfs. You're also free to say "CHECK THIS OUT IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME!" - please note this almost guarantees failure, but in the unlikely event that your black orc does pull off that catch, three dodges, and two go for its, it makes the whole thing look even better.

NB can also fail with Elf teams too.

mrpier
10-01-2012, 04:16 PM
I wonder if an admin could kick div E around a bit early? I'll be away between 20-28 january so this would give me (quite) a few more days to get my game in against pseudo310.

Pseudo310
10-01-2012, 04:21 PM
I wonder if an admin could kick div E around a bit early? I'll be away between 20-28 january so this would give me (quite) a few more days to get my game in against pseudo310.
For the Div E championship! Rather exciting for my first league play.

JayTee
10-01-2012, 05:38 PM
And the single best piece of advice: Remember that the dice will always screw you. All you can do is minimize how much. Do all your non-dice moves first. Then do all your 2-dice tackles with Block/Wrestle, then your 2-dice rolls, then your rerollables (Dodge, Sure Hands, etc). Then, if you're feeling crazy, try for 1 dice tackles or the like. But every single roll, even a 2-die tackle with Block, can fail. Assume it will, and look at your team with a thought towards "where will I be when this fails?" every time you do something.

And then remember to just say "screw it" when it matters. ;) Sometimes you gotta double GFI for a touchdown!I'd say this bolded part is more important, and more difficult, than anything else in Blood bowl. Knowing when to play the odds and risk it, compared to playing it safe. Also worth remembering that sometimes the 'easy' rolls are not the rolls you want to play at the start of your turn. I can't remember the number of times I've been tempted by an 'easy' 2D Block with Block against a non-Block character, only to chuck up double-skulls, burn the Team Re-roll and been left regretting it when I throw up a 'pushed' on a much more critical Block.

It's a careful balance between minimising risk, accepting risk, and giving yourself the best chance on those critical actions. In my book this is what makes Bloodbowl an obnoxiously thrilling game.

Alethron
10-01-2012, 06:26 PM
So I did something silly.....

I was just levelling up my players to see what they got and I rolled a double 3 on my catcher, so I was looking at the possibilities. Somehow I managed to accidentally select confirm when MIGHTY BLOW was selected. Whilst this could have been MUCH worse, is there any way an admin could help me out and reset this please? I'm expecting that this is locked in but figured it was worth a shot.

Cheers

potatoedoughnut
10-01-2012, 07:04 PM
So I did something silly.....

I was just levelling up my players to see what they got and I rolled a double 3 on my catcher, so I was looking at the possibilities. Somehow I managed to accidentally select confirm when MIGHTY BLOW was selected. Whilst this could have been MUCH worse, is there any way an admin could help me out and reset this please? I'm expecting that this is locked in but figured it was worth a shot.

Cheers

Unfortunately you're stuck with the skill you chose. At least it wasn't thick skull :)

Alethron
10-01-2012, 07:08 PM
At least it wasn't thick skull :)

Yes indeed. Thanks for letting me know ^_^

The Brain
10-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Hi everyone

I've just added my name to the spreadsheet with an Elf team. No team name yet until I can think of something suitably witty and original. I look forward to getting the snot beaten out of me in the near future.

Jiiiiim
10-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Monopole Magnates (lizards, Jim) vs Clone High (necro, potatoedoughnut)

Sizeable inducement gap at play here, so Clone High acquire a bribe and a wizard. We win the toss and receive, the kickoff landing in a skink's hands. That wizard dominates my thoughts, probably not in proportion to its actual ability, and so I don't cage up properly, reasoning a wizard would smash that right open. I forget that now this means the wolves can attack the ball carrier and he still won't have actually used his wizard. This just makes things worse, as I gradually lose my grasp on the ball, don't even defend the ground around it properly, and eventually a wolf breaks loose into my half without anyone to stop it. 0-1 at half time, the only bright spot being that I've killed his only wight (the other is sitting out the game).

At half-time I have a think. I've conceded while receiving, to even draw now I'm going to need to take the ball off him, I'm down to five sauruses so my bash advantage is thinning. Doughnut has built his big players (the ghouls and wolves) around the principle of being impossible to knock over, with blodge and sidestep, so I'm not going to get far just punching those guys, I'm going to need to find some other way to take them out of the game. I decide on diving tackle, and to stop thinking about that bloody wizard.

So, we kick off, the necros cage up on the right. One of my sauruses scores another casualty and through some skinky dodging we manage a 2 dice block on the ghoul carrier, but only get pushes. Still, it's now shoved up against the touchline and we're dominating the area well. The ghoul breaks free, eventually, but is very exposed. We free up a saurus to blitz it over, which succeeds, and two skinks break into a virtually empty necro half. Doughnut's ghoul and wolf are the only ones able to get back but they succeed in knocking my skink down and putting some tackle zones on the ball. I turn to Manskink, the skink with the strength of a man, who knocks down the blodge ghoul with his rippling pecs, picks up the ball, dodges free and scores. 1-1. Hero, and there's still five turns to go.

We get a blitz on the restart, though the ball is unfortunately forecast to land right on a ghoul's head. We get two skinks around him, but he's able to break free and handoff to a wolf. The wolf runs downfield and we don't have anyone nearby to punch it. I bring in skinks from all corners of the pitch and risk a GFI on a saurus to get a three dice block. This pays off, we get the knockdown we need on that blodgey swine, and the ball is loose in my half. The sure hands skink risks yet more GFIs but picks up the ball and we get ready to make an assault on their lines.

Now doughnut remembers the wizard, putting all four of my players near the ball into a fireball template. Only the saurus is knocked over, thank god, and his wolf messes up a dodge so we can consolidate. A skink cage makes it to the halfway line while wolves and golems knock off the corners, then the far left touchline. We're within spitting distance of the touchline now, but fenced in my all manner of undead beasties. Time...for manskink.

Manskink knocks a ghoul away with his mighty arms, allowing my ball carrier a risky path to victory. 2 dodges and 2 GFIs needed...both dodges work...the first GFI fails! Rerolled! The second GFI...

...succeeds! 2-1! Victory!

Doughnut probably a little hard done by by the result but I was impressed at the resilience of my team in turning this one around. I'm also impressed by the one saurus that managed four casualties, the bashing hero. The diving tackle skinks were incredibly effective at blunting the power of the wolves as they had no tackle. If they'd had sidestep as well they would have been even more annoying, so I'll look to get that next.

potatoedoughnut
10-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah so, I really need to not just dodge willy nilly with diving tacke around. In all fairness it was a very well played game by Jiiiiim, I really couldn't manage to get anything done in the second half. TOO MANY SKINKS (and one with the strength of a man).