PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The many, many Divisions of Death!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Heliocentric
28-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm slightly surprised after every match that he's still alive.

Of course, that's true of all of my elfs...

TBH, if you support him well that STR is the difference between 2 dice blitz and a 3 dice blitz. Its probably his key feature in a way.

WhiskeyTangoFox
28-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Applied to Div E, here's hoping for good health.

Heliocentric
28-01-2012, 11:39 PM
I'd forgotten to apply to the league, just did it.

Division 6... maybe I'll lose less this one.

groovychainsaw
29-01-2012, 01:06 PM
I've heard from most of the new chaps now, only SirBlood, Sky Dancer and Brain Dance have not PM'd me or posted in here. Thanks to all who have. As it is Sunday now, I'm going to assign divisions to those new chaps who have spoken to me now.

So, head into the sheet to find out where you need to apply, then head into the game in apply in there. There's some guidance on our sheet to help with the application, and the password is 'chainsawed'. Any other problems post in here and one of our fine fellows will help you out.

/Edit, also, updated the season status tab - we're doing pretty well for applications already, only a handful missing from the upper divisions. If the new guys get in quickly, we should be able to get things going by ~Weds I'd imagine...

Janek
29-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Applied to G, woop woop.

Wolfenswan
29-01-2012, 02:11 PM
My team's still in 3 according to the game. Does one have to leave and reapply in that case?

duff
29-01-2012, 02:24 PM
My team's still in 3 according to the game. Does one have to leave and reapply in that case?

No.

10 fucking characters

The Brain
29-01-2012, 04:57 PM
I've applied to 7. Not looking forward to facing the Chaos and Khemri teams though... my poor fragile elves! (regrets not picking Orcs)

INinja132
29-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Applied to division 5.

Prester John
29-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Applied to F, an elftastic league!

Dentharial
29-01-2012, 07:04 PM
You know, I'd been seriously pondering switching to dwarves, and when I saw that league... High Elf, Wood Elf, Halflings!? Still tempted to ask for a last minute switch, just for the sweet chance to pound elf faces into the ground.

Oh well, there will be chances in future months I'm sure!

Sovereign Right have applied to Div F!

Screwie
29-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Applied to Div 6!

Kapouille
29-01-2012, 09:41 PM
You know, I'd been seriously pondering switching to dwarves, and when I saw that league... High Elf, Wood Elf, Halflings!? Still tempted to ask for a last minute switch, just for the sweet chance to pound elf faces into the ground.

Oh well, there will be chances in future months I'm sure!

Sovereign Right have applied to Div F!

No please NOOOOOOooooo....

It's already painful enough to have a league filled with Elves ;)

(I've already pre-applied to division G for next season :))

Dog Pants
29-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Applied to League 7. An interesting mix of opponents, with two fighty teams and two passing teams. I suspect much will come down to how many elves Jlahnum and I can batter. Zombies aren't known for their prowess at chasing down fleet footed runners.

Skydancer
29-01-2012, 11:00 PM
I beg your pardon but, wasn't I supposed to wait to be assigned to a divison or should I choose one myself and say which here? :S

Janek
29-01-2012, 11:14 PM
I beg your pardon but, wasn't I supposed to wait to be assigned to a divison or should I choose one myself and say which here? :S
Relates to...

NEW CHAPS! Can you please PM me just to say 'I'm here'? I'll add anyone in who does this over the next few days. We need to have this sort of check because we can't start divisions without everyone applying and if you've lost interest/forgotten you added yourself to the sheet then that can delay us getting the season started. Just a quick PM to me to let me know you're there will be fine :-)

I've heard from most of the new chaps now, only SirBlood, Sky Dancer and Brain Dance have not PM'd me or posted in here. Thanks to all who have. As it is Sunday now, I'm going to assign divisions to those new chaps who have spoken to me now.

The Brain
29-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Applied to League 7. An interesting mix of opponents, with two fighty teams and two passing teams. I suspect much will come down to how many elves Jlahnum and I can batter. Zombies aren't known for their prowess at chasing down fleet footed runners.

That's exactly why my plan is 'run away as early and often as possible'. I sometimes have a bad habit of forgetting I'm playing with elves and trying to punch someone. Hopefully I'll keep that urge in check long enough to survive a match or two.

Skydancer
29-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Guess I lost it in the sea of replies... Actually been checking the thread daily for that kind of info. Thanks for the quote!

duff
30-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Guess I lost it in the sea of replies... Actually been checking the thread daily for that kind of info. Thanks for the quote!

Don't worry, now groovy knows your still alive he'll give you a division to apply to pretty soon. Right now it looks like G, but make sure to keep an eye on this thread as you may get moved just before the season starts if gaps open up in the divisions above you.

jlahnum
30-01-2012, 02:05 AM
I just apped to division seven with my Chaos team. Looking forward to getting started.

ntw
30-01-2012, 08:31 AM

Just assigned you to DivG. Get your application in! :)

And yeah, this thread does tend to move pretty fast sometimes so it is easy to lose or miss stuff.

/engage admin preaching mode
Which is why we setup the Divisions of Death Groups (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?groupid=4) to schedule matches without the info getting lost in the noise...
/disengage admin preaching mode

ntw
30-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Holy mojo!

Just been through accepting a few more applications, and crikey - we might get this season started in record time!

@ admins/everyone - NO more re-sorting the 1st sheet please, leave it as it is now - otherwise it could mess up the fixtures.

/edit - @ GC, despite my frenzy of FAQing on Friday, I left you a question to complete if/when you get a chance fella.

/edit2 - @ Admins, *if* you do start any Divs up, please remember to double check the fixtures and reseed the teams if necessary. I recommend we post a message in the relevant thread of the group for each Div as we start them. By extension : @ Players, please wait until your Div has explicitly been announced as started before organising/playing matches.

groovychainsaw
30-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Yeah, we're only missing 7 players, so if those that are remaining hurry up, we could get going even sooner than Wednesday. Well done chaps, you've kept this season nice and easy for me to organise this time, even with our influx of new players :-)

LowKey
30-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Fancy new subforum, biff!

Vexing Vision
30-01-2012, 10:54 AM
And all the formatting is broken, too! Fancy!

About time, too. Can we move the group match arrangement here instead of those 'orid little group things which I still despise? <3

Screwie
30-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Fancy new subforum, biff!

Yup~! Shame about the BB code though!

President Weasel
30-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Got a new PC, can't find my blood bowl disk, wish I'd bought it in the Steam sale the other week because it's thirty quid at the mo. Going to wait for a few days before I grumpily buy it at full price.

Kapouille
30-01-2012, 11:02 AM
By extension : @ Players, please wait until your Div has explicitly been announced as started before organising/playing matches.

Whoopsy, okay, I will!

ntw
30-01-2012, 11:15 AM
And all the formatting is broken, too! Fancy!

About time, too. Can we move the group match arrangement here instead of those 'orid little group things which I still despise? <3

Silly broken formatting :(

The Group things are silly, but they prevent BB DoD spamming the "new posts" search on the forum, while providing a simple way of tracking and organising matches.

@ PW - have you lost your Keycode as well? I could lend you my disks?

groovychainsaw
30-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I agree with ntw, VV, unless the posts about organising somehow didn't appear on the 'what's new' search, they're better off hidden away in our groups.

(New guys - in case you're going - huh? What groups? Look up the top, under the community drop down, click groups, you should find the divisions of death one fairly easily. Apply to join - that's where we 'officially' organise games for each division. Most of us arrange a time with each other on steam, but it can be handy to leave a message for your opponent in there to start the ball rolling (also, steam can sometimes be a bit funny about adding people to your list - although its been much better in recent times). If your opponent is a no-show/there's some other issue/we've not seen your game get played, we used the written evidence in there to figure out the defaulted game, so its always worth posting your arranged game in there regardless :-))

Oh and also - subforum! Swish!

duff
30-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Got a new PC, can't find my blood bowl disk, wish I'd bought it in the Steam sale the other week because it's thirty quid at the mo. Going to wait for a few days before I grumpily buy it at full price.

I was in the exact same situation. I had the manual in my hand but no they print the CD key ON the CD. Because that makes a load of fucking sense.

Perhaps now we have a subforum it would be easyier for new people (and less clicking for me) if we moved match organisation to seperate threads made for each division?

Vexing Vision
30-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Awww. But, but, we have such a beautiful subforum here.

I like the New Post spam, I keep forgetting to check the groups. :( Oh well, that's just me I guess and all you guys know how to get hold of me anyway.

ntw
30-01-2012, 11:56 AM
@ Duff - as mentioned above, the reason we use the group threads instead of normal forum threads is to avoid swamping the New Posts with stuff which is only relevant to 4 people (+ admins incase of dispute).

I'm the first to admit it's not ideal, although if the subscription thing is working better than it used to then maybe that'll help?

ChainsawHands
30-01-2012, 01:03 PM
The groups are ideal - you can subscribe by email, and get notifications for your group. What more do you want?

Well, I suppose if the RSS feeds were working again that might be better, but the groups are pretty good.

ntw
30-01-2012, 01:07 PM
the email notifications are working for the groups as well now? yay, finally!

ChainsawHands
30-01-2012, 01:13 PM
They've worked fine for me for the last several seasons. For as long as I've been using them, actually, although it's possible I didn't set one up as soon as the groups were first set up.

darkweeble
30-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I miss RSS feeds so much.

groovychainsaw
30-01-2012, 03:10 PM
I didn't realise I could subscribe to the groups as well. That's most helpful, I'll be doing this right away. Everybody should do this! (unless they have strong objections to getting emailed updates to remind them to play :-D).

Also, I miss the RSS feeds too - my reader feels that much poorer without our insightful blood bowl banter filling its pages - emails are a poor substitute.

DeekyFun
30-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Hey

Any spaces left for me to join in, please? Haven't played in a while, so will probably get my arse kicked, but I'm a Bolton fan so I can deal with that.

D

groovychainsaw
30-01-2012, 03:34 PM
I think we have one space left Deeky, add yourself to the spreadsheet (linked wayyy back in the first post) then apply to division G in-game, ensuring you pick a team that's still available (check out the 'race balance' tab on the sheet - there's still a number of good choices in there!). If neither of the other guys that are AWOL return (which doesn't look likely after all the nudges we've given them), then we'll accept your application to get Div G started shortly (keep an eye in here to find out the official start date). Any questions, check out the advice on the sheet, if that doesn't cover it, ask in here. Welcome!

DeekyFun
30-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Cheers for the info. I've added myself to the spreadsheet and joined the group. As soon as I get back home from work I'll apply for group G with a new team and cross my fingers. Thanks for the info!

D

Vexing Vision
30-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Keep in mind that the forum ubb code is currently BROKEN, which means you'll have to manually copy and paste that complex looking link up there.

Or just use this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0VreXc&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=24

Gorm
30-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Orcs, Orcs and Dwarfs. Do you do this on purpose Groovy? I only just got back above 11 players.

groovychainsaw
30-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Well, you'll have to face these teams at some point, and with our system , at least you can guarantee you're unlikely to face the same 3 next season. Plus, you're the flair team in that division, you can pull off all the annoying passing plays those teams hate :-).

I sympathise, I wouldn't have YET AGAIN put myself up against 2 bashy teams and one middling-bashy team (undead) if I could help it, but the promotions system CANNOT be changed - it is an infernal machine, once set in motion it cannot be stopped. 7 Seasons with my humans and I think undead have been the softest team I've faced so far. Its no wonder my humans have a mean streak and masses of block and mighty blow after the last 28 games of bashy grinding (It also explains why it took my thrower 10 games to get 1SPP - not much passing when your catchers are a smear on the floor) :-)

Gorm
30-01-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm pretty sure you rig the whole system because you are a masochist

groovychainsaw
30-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't know why you would play blood bowl if you weren't at least partly a masochist ;-)

Vexing Vision
30-01-2012, 04:51 PM
For the other reason, groovy. The other reason.

*cracks whip*

DeekyFun
30-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Btw, hometime is about 10pm-ish tonight, in case you wonder why I haven't applied earlier in the evening.

President Weasel
30-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Silly broken formatting :(

The Group things are silly, but they prevent BB DoD spamming the "new posts" search on the forum, while providing a simple way of tracking and organising matches.

@ PW - have you lost your Keycode as well? I could lend you my disks?

Wait, do I need a keycode in order to access my teams? Or just to install the game?

Jiiiiim
30-01-2012, 07:12 PM
you'll have to recover your account to get your existing teams, though I dunno if that'll just be with your email and password.

Indefatigible Snoozer
30-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Applied to div B.

AgP
30-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I've applied to division G. Lets rock and ROLL ;)

Pseudo310
30-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Orcs, Orcs and Dwarfs. Do you do this on purpose Groovy? I only just got back above 11 players.
The Stompaz are pretty undeveloped orcs, and your first game is against me. I saw the level 4 vampires and went to lay down for awhile.

DeekyFun
31-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Hi Guys.

I'm not seeing a League G when I search. I get all the other leagues, but not that one. Presumably I'm doing something wrong?

DeekyFun
31-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Ah, nevermind, it's got an 's' in it. I've applied to G.

Ta
Deeky

Skydancer
31-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Applied to G as well. Looking forward to the first game!

Gorm
31-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Hmm Div D was full, but now its only me in it again. What happened?

Alistair Hutton
31-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Hmm Div D was full, but now its only me in it again. What happened?

Vampires are scary?

Gorm
31-01-2012, 03:36 PM
They only bite my own players

Pseudo310
31-01-2012, 05:35 PM
I had applied night before last. I'll check again when I get home.

ntw
31-01-2012, 05:37 PM
OK, few more applications accepted.

We're just missing the following three people now -
Div 2 - Grinn
Div 4 - Axler, Tom O'Bedlam

Fixtures have been checked for Champs, 1, A & B

Everyone please wait for GC to officially start the season before arranging or playing your matches...

duff
31-01-2012, 06:45 PM
What happens if I organise right now?

JayTee
31-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Something to do with bricks or maybe an angle grinder as it's not really a brickable-offence.

ntw
31-01-2012, 07:04 PM
...everything is a brick-able offence.

Tom OBedlam
31-01-2012, 08:13 PM
done! stupid 10 character limit

Tom OBedlam
31-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Oh hell, how did I manage to go up a league even with a default? Sorry about that btw, new job sort of overtook game playing for a bit.

And I've got Khemri and Necromantic, I'm being punished aren't I?

groovychainsaw
31-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Down to 2 people then. I've Pm'd Grinn and Axler a little 'hurry up'. Well done everyone else for getting applied so quickly :-). I think the 'official' start to the season will be wednesday but I don't mind if you start organising your matches now (in the groups, lest we need to remind you again!), although they won't be able to be played in-game until we start the divisions off. I'll get on that now, but I'll be leaving some of the lower divisions for now in case we have to reshuffle people.

/Goes off to figure out how to reshuffle ~50 people if Grinn doesn't turn up ;-)

Screwie
31-01-2012, 10:58 PM
/Goes off to figure out how to reshuffle ~50 people if Grinn doesn't turn up ;-)

Maybe instead, put a disposable single-season filler team in an upper division? It seems less messy.

duff
31-01-2012, 11:32 PM
I have him on Steam and he was last online 4 days ago so it's quite possible he's on some kind of holiday / work trip / religious cult ritual performance weekend.

grinn
01-02-2012, 05:22 AM
Hey guys, apologies for the ninja-vanish - Duff nailed it: the brotherhood of the unholy pony had its annual summit in southern germany and net connection has been highly intermittent. Am going to apply now. Once again apologies for delaying the start of the exciting new season.

ntw
01-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Just Axler missing now, my SteamBuds says offline for 6 days...

Fixtures checked down to 3 & D

/edit - lowest TV team in Div4 is 1090, so if necessary a fresh team could be crammed in without upsetting the balance too much.

Kajo
01-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Hi, i'm on time for the start of the league?

ntw
01-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi, i'm on time for the start of the league?

Pop your details in the next available row in the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0VreXc&hl=en&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=24), there's an outside chance you'll be able to jump in to replace a missing team.

Kajo
01-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Ok, updated

ntw
01-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Ok, updated

I'm afraid Necromantics are currently full, you'll have to choose another team (check the Race Balance (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0VreXc&hl=en&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=30) sheet).

darkweeble
01-02-2012, 05:40 PM
The sound of the crunch, muted by a groan of agony, several centimeters of fat and muscle, thirteen meters of stifling, sweat-soaked air to the sidelines, and the roar of the crowd still reached his ears. It was an abrupt end to the poor dolt's life and, more importantly, could signal the end of Weebs' coaching career. The apothecary had already left his tent and was skittering over to the fallen player. That man was drawn to pain like flies to shit. The elderly physician sniffed the wound and dipped his finger in the blood before giving it a taste. He looked over to Weebs shrugged. Apparently "impacted sternum" was beyond his ability to deal with. What a hack.

That ogre's life was more valuable than one hundred twenty thousand gold to hire him and his collection of "funny poo" that had to travel with him everywhere. His loss would be impossible to recover from. Not that he was any more useful than his idiot teammates, but there just wasn't gold to be had to put another wall of meat on the pitch. The team would die and take Weebs with it, so he just walked off the field and let the team coach themselves into oblivion.

The Third Leg, an ale house that boasted fine ale and beautiful waitresses of every race and size, wasn't all it was cracked up to be. The darkened taproom stank of vomit, the beer was no Bugman's Best, and he'd seen prettier ladies on a Khemri cheerleading squad. The two things that The Third Leg did have over all the others were that it was cheap and it was close. Both qualities were very important for a man with a projected lifespan measured in hours.
The place was busy, but not bustling. The game had probably just ended, so the crowd was certainly on its way. There was no doubt as to who had won. The room brightened momentarily, and Weebs looked up from the tabletop where some previous patron, thinking himself terribly clever, had carved a penis. He saw his executioner silhouetted in the doorway. Weebs tossed back his third beer and gestured to the Undead waitress across the room. No reason to slow down now.
The newcomer was a Dark Elf, of course. The weasel was well-dressed and clearly didn't belong in a dive like The Leg, but he didn't seem too bothered by his surroundings as he made his way, beady-eyed and smiling, to Weebs' table.
"Well you look like you've been expecting someone like me, don't you?" the darkie said. His voice was as oily as Weebs had expected. Of course they'd send a slick bastard like this to rub it in first. There's nothing worse than banks, Weebs' father always said. As it turned out, the old man had been wrong all these years - owing a bank was far worse.
The waitress arrived with his beer and took one look at the newcomer before she quickly darted away. Weebs wondered idly if Skaven picked mates based on looks or scent. The waitress look mangy and smelled like she'd been rolling in something, but who was he to judge? Weebs took a drink, then inhaled the stench of the room and sighed deeply before he replied. His words began slow, then fell out in a rush. It was important that someone knew that he wasn't to blame, even if that person was a killer.
"I kind of hoped it would be quicker and with no talking, but yes. It's important that you realize that it's not my fault, okay? Those losses had nothing to do with me; that whole team was made of glass. Four ogre injuries and a death in two seasons? There isn't a coach in the league who could have done better with players like that! And the damn idiots couldn't hurt a fly! What kind of animal gets that big, that strong, and doesn't want to hit things? It ain't natural!" Weebs slammed his fist on the table and slopped some beer over the rim of his mug. He was shouting, but couldn't stop himself. "It's like I was set up! You must've been there, did you see? Did those corpsehumpers have non-regulation wizards, a poisoner, sacrifices to Nuffle, anything?!"
The man across from him smiled in the silence left by Weebs' outburst. He clasped both hands on the tabletop and said simply, "You were."
"What? I were what?"
"Set up, of course," he replied. "No Ogre team in the entire sport is that bad. I've been putting cyanide into your team's water barrels for weeks. First they get a little buggy and don't behave as they should and then they crash hard. It's a simple poison, but it's incredibly effective. It's also difficult to taste when your diet is mostly sticks and rocks." The bastard winked.
Weebs sat frozen, drink halfway to his gaping mouth. On the one hand, he was saved the humiliation of the team's failure being his fault. That was never in doubt, of course, but it was nice to hear it from someone else. On the other hand, this man had just poisoned twelve people who had never done anything to him and had ensured that Weebs would never be able to pay the loan back. It was a mixed bag for sure.
"Why would you do that?" Weebs asked, setting down his drink. "What does Hand Over Fist have to gain from me not paying them back?"
"I don't represent Hand Over Fist. My boss is in a similar business, but he doesn't dress it up with niceties. You see, we purchased your loan from Hand Over Fist the day you made it. Give me a moment to explain."
The imperious elf took Weebs' mug and had a large mouthful, grimaced, and spat it back in the mug before replacing it.
"Ehhrgk! You drink that? Tastes like milk from a troll's teats." He shook his head, tongue flung out, before continuing.
"What I'm about to offer you will change your life. My boss purchased your loan because he thinks you're something special. You had an incredible first run at coaching Ground Porc and you were noticed, but not before you had already set up Big Bruised Ego. It's unfortunate, really, that things worked out this way. We had to do what we did to ensure your cooperation. There really wasn't another way. What Le'Roy wants, Le'Roy gets."
"Leroy? Your boss' name is Leroy? That's...not very intimidating," Weebs replied, sitting back and crossing his arms in front of him. Clearly he wasn't as in danger of imminent death as he was five minutes ago, and that gave him some confidence back. That or the troll's teat ale.
"No, you idiot. Le'Roy! Le'Roy! It's got an accent in it! Anyway," he said, waving his hand dismissively, "Le'Roy is not my boss. Le'Roy is my boss' son. In spite of all that the organization can offer, he wants to be a Blood Bowl coach. Specifically, he wants to coach Goblins - the kid's got a sadistic side like you wouldn't believe. We're going to set you up with a Goblin team, have you play a match so Le'Roy can see you in action, then introduce you to the kid and you're going to hire him as an Assistant Coach, okay? Simple."
"You want me to coach Goblins, the most self-destructive team in all of Blood Bowl. Not only that, but you want me to do it with some puffed up little snotling for an assistant? No one hires Assistant Coaches! No one! He's supposed to believe this is legitimate?"
"Yes."
"Impossible. No one would believe this"
"He'll believe it because you'll make it believable."
"And if I refuse you'll send the debt collectors after me?"
"No. We'll just kill you."
Weebs winced. "Do I have to win? This sounds like you're setting me up for more failure."
"No, of course not. It's a bloodsport so we'll make money on Goblins either way. Money won't be an issue for us, but you'll be on your own once we fund your initial investment. As added incentive, your debtor's record will also be wiped clean after a suitable time." The elf sat back, certain that the hook was set.
"Well, you've basically got me by the nuts here. I guess you've got yourself a coach," Weebs replied. He wasn't going to go as far as to shake hands with his new business partner, but he nodded politely.
The other man nodded back as he stood to leave, "We'll see you in the morning at recruitment. We're expecting great things from you. Well, maybe not great things, but at the very least we're expecting you to keep Le'Roy happy."
Weebs grunted, already deep in the planning stages for what was sure to be a disastrous season. Goblins? Honestly, what kind of nutjob was this kid? Weebs said a quick prayer to Nuffle and ordered a pen and paper with a fresh drink. The best he could do was draw up some plans and let the dice fall where they may.

EDIT: Can't get it to keep my paragraphing. Sorry, folks.

Screwie
01-02-2012, 05:48 PM
I like this darkweeble person :)

ntw
01-02-2012, 05:51 PM
/salutes darkweeble

groovychainsaw
01-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Excellent work mr weeble - A lovely start to our new season :-)

Kapouille
01-02-2012, 06:00 PM
I've been putting cyanide into your team's water barrels for weeks. First they get a little buggy and don't behave as they should and then they crash hard.

:)
If you knew how little a cyanide employee is paid, you guys may become a bit more forgiving ;)

LowKey
01-02-2012, 06:42 PM
If you knew how little a cyanide employee is paid, you guys may become a bit more forgiving ;)

All the bagets you can eat?

Kapouille
01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
All the bagets you can eat?

If only. Peanuts.

Screwie
01-02-2012, 06:47 PM
If only. Peanuts.

That's terrible. What if they have a nut allergy?

Heliocentric
01-02-2012, 06:58 PM

Those with nut allergies are granted the mercy of death, it's the better deal really.

Kapouille
01-02-2012, 07:07 PM

There's no such thing in France. That comes with Vegetarianism and all that health and safety british malarkey.
Nothin' better than a good old slice of cyrrhosis-ed goose or duck liver to cure whatever itch you have. Ah, and a bucketful of liquor-drown Ortolans with that please!

Rakysh
01-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Can't wait to meet these Gobblins, Weeble. My werewolves is hungry.

darkweeble
01-02-2012, 08:55 PM

I kid, of course. I love the game and do appreciate all their hard work! It's brought Blood Bowl to the masses and that's a beautiful thing. I just wish we could patch it ourselves sometimes.

EDIT: Forgot to thank everyone for the appreciation of my little fiction. I'll be continuing the story as time permits. I was just inspired by my truly catastrophic season last month and had to get it out there.

Rakysh
01-02-2012, 09:30 PM
[So Darkweeble has inspired me to start my own story properly, hopefully we can get division six to go down in history. Nowhere near as good as his of course, but I enjoyed writing it.]

Beastmen were not often seen on the coaching staff of any team, never mind Halflings. Homicidal maniacs did their best work on the pitch, not off it. When Ra’kish signed up as coach of the Potholers (a lost group of caving enthusiasts from the Moot) the oddity of the match-up brought questions from all sides. Obviously the Potholers had accepted at once- coaches with the “special skills” necessary to try their hand at leading a team of three-feet-high kleptomaniac overeaters were somewhat thin on the ground- but Ra’kish’s motives remained inscrutable. When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.

A season of abject mediocrity then unfolded with an air of absolute inevitability. Ra'kish coached them come match day an air of detachment, and largely left the Potholers to it between times. The draw and two losses did not seem to dampen the spirits of the beastman. Indeed, he greeted every death, maiming and impalement with an air of grim amusement more fitting for a member of the crowd than the staff. Of course Halfling coaching attracted sadists, but was the clipboard with a list being slowly ticked off really just the sign of your common-or-garden madman?

The present day

Halfred Carrott, the captain of the Potholers, enters his coach’s office. The walls are bedecked with the classic decoration of the skinned hides of their dead foes (unfortunately largely Snotling based, and not exactly numerous). In the centre, Ra’kish sits at a large desk. His clipboard lies on it. All the entries seem to have been ticked.

“You wanted to see me boss?”

“Yesh*. It’sh time for me to move on.”

Carrott feels a peculiar mixture of relief, fear and hunger. With a little luck the Potholers would be able to make a return to the failed human coaches they were used to, or even a Halfling who properly understood the dietary demands of being a professional athlete. Still, better go through the traditional forms.

“Sorry to hear that boss. May your future be famine-free and well-seasoned. Mind if I ask why?”

“The price hash been paid, Carrott. The bargain hash been fulfilled, and now the time ish come.”

The Gor stands up and strides out of the room. Outside, a pair of werewolves are waiting. Each shakes a paw with Ra’kish and they leave together, slipping in to the night.

Behind them, a cowering Halfling makes a very quick and rather wise career reassessment.

*Beastmen’s tusks make the letter “s” rather difficult to say. Anyone wishing to point out that I shamelessly ripped this off from Terry Pratchett should feel free to do so.

Kapouille
01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Just Axler missing now, my SteamBuds says offline for 6 days...

Fixtures checked down to 3 & D

/edit - lowest TV team in Div4 is 1090, so if necessary a fresh team could be crammed in without upsetting the balance too much.

Awww, the wait is unbearable!!

ntw
01-02-2012, 10:33 PM
<snip>... When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles...<snip>

This may very well become my standard response to all questions and queries, ingame and out.

groovychainsaw
02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Ok, we appear to have a no-show from Axler, so we need a minor reshuffle. As mentioned last season, i'm going to use restarting or rebooting players to fill in when this happens, so if one of the 3 rebooters would like to offer their services (by posting in here - first come first served) and apply tonight to join div 4, they can. I won't lie to you, it will be tough, but you've got a head start up the divisions - I'll leave you to decide if you want to face the higher-level teams....

That means Kajo, if you're there, you can fill in the vacant slot from the rebooting player, probably from division 6. If you can get your application in tonight, everyone can get going, if I can't get hold of you, we'll probably put in a filler team, I want everyone playing tonight.....

Screwie
02-02-2012, 01:09 PM
I would happily offer to chuck in another filler team to get beat up but since it's Div 6, I might end up playing myself...

Kapouille
02-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Well, if you twist my arm... I could play another team in Div 6, given that I'm in Div F.

Heliocentric
02-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Well, if you twist my arm... I could play another team in Div 6, given that I'm in Div F.

Me Me, i need more corpses for the pile!

Kapouille
02-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Me Me, i need more corpses for the pile!

I said twist, not tear off!

Zoraster
02-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Hey guys. By March I should have enough time to relaunch operation Zoraster tries to figure out how to play humans so I’ll be restoring myself to the sheet in a bit. Quick question; is there an official rule on returning with old teams? My humans only got one season in so it is no big deal either way but I’d rather avoid having to battle the Cyanide interface to name a new squad of players needlessly :)

Skydancer
02-02-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm speaking on kajo's behalf since he's working and can't reply: he's in and he'll be selecting another team instead of necro. Count him alright.

Kajo
02-02-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm here.

Axler was playing a Necro team, can i play them?

Screwie
02-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Pants... if Kajo takes Necro and Darkweeble is the one to move up to Div4 then that could be three undead-y teams versus my elves :(

groovychainsaw
02-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Quite right Kajo, you can take necro :-), apply for div 6 and we'll get you started tonight.

Darkweeble, Rakysh, or Cacamas, I need one of you rebooters to join div 4 (tonight!). Its an opportunity for one of you ;-). One of the teams is only 1090, so it won't be too harsh.

JayTee
02-02-2012, 08:53 PM
and my Khemri currently couldn't fight their way out of a trifle so I wouldn't be particularly concerned by them. Sigh.

Skydancer
02-02-2012, 09:12 PM
and my Khemri currently couldn't fight their way out of a trifle so I wouldn't be particularly concerned by them. Sigh.

I guess this is a common behavior of Khemri teams, lately...

groovychainsaw
02-02-2012, 09:47 PM
All divisions apart from 6 (just waiting on Kajo) are fixture checked and go (although double checking fixtures yourselves is never a bad idea...). You have 10 days from yesterday to complete your first game, hop to it!

Prester John
02-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Well what a start. First many thanks to Kapouille for the game.

The final score was 1-0 to the Halfings over my Woodelves. I finished with 2 players on the pitch and my Treeman died. In the first turn after i kicked off i had 2 elves with that big red pus sign over their head, one with a permanent agility penalty.

Fate i laugh at you, willingly i break mirrors and walk under ladders.

NEXT.

Kapouille
02-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Well what a start.

Oh what a game indeed, Prester John.

Well, our local cook, Ganders Roomy, has had a "F**ing strong hand of F**ing chillies" tonight.
Our players were on fire (but probably not as much as their digestive tracks by tomorrow). Receiving first, they managed *not to fail* a lot of passes on the first half term, dodging their way to safety like slippery Weebles to the safety of the treemen... Knocking quite a few of the poor Wood elves standing in the way. With the help of our 2 treemen, by the end of the first half time, 4 elves were injured and 2 KO, just after one of the halflings managed to score.

Straight at the beginning of the second half time, the flavour of things to come was already obvious : just after one wood elf slept himself KO as he was trying to tackle one of our players, one of ourTreemen inflicted a deadly chop to the wood elves' Treeman. What a terrible blow to their morale! From that point, and while our players were busy trampling the miserable wood elves that ended on the floor, two wood elves went a bit loopy and decided to play ball-passing at the end of the pitch. After a while, they started to realise that the two treemen were indeed moving in their direction and attempted a terrific run... Which unfortunately ended being intercepted on the sideline.

And that's how the match ended. Quite unhoped-for victory for the halflings, with a generous sprinkle of bad luck for the "Beauty and the Beast"...

Janek
03-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Barebone Bareboners 1 - 0 Beasts of Bembridge

Dreadful start for the Beasts, even considering how slowly Nurgle teams normally get into their stride. Miserable match for the spectators too, consisting primarily of 12 turns of entirely ineffectual punching in the middle of the pitch, the only casualty coming on behalf of the crowd. Midway through the second half the ball popped out of the scrum, and a rotter tried a speculative lob towards a pestigor in space. On the pitch, that is, not the other space. Naturally he failed to account for Janek's Law of Inverse Agility, which states that the lower a player's agility, the larger the probability of rolling a six. A tomb guardian prompty intercepts, and trundles very slowly downfield to win the game.

That's about it. Not vintage stuff by any measure, and the Beasts go home with only an MVP to their name.

Skydancer
03-02-2012, 12:33 AM
My side of the match:

After things started a bit crappy for my team, due to a bad event roll (field got swarmed by fans, who dropped a skellie, a mummy and a blitzra), they got worse when at the end of the first turn I had 3-4 players still standing, the rest stunned or down. With lots of mumbling and grumbling I managed to get a sizable bunch of players marking up the whole front line of Janek in a couple turns, while he was trying to get his pestigor through my right side. After some more skirmishing, he began to form a little cage in the middle, but luckily I got his beast and a nurgle warrior off to the side with the aid of a couple skellies (losing a third one to a ko eventually) and wedged my mummies through the cage. The rest of the half saw me frantically trying to make some sense of my dumb positioning around the ball and Janek trying to get a hold of it. Lastly, I managed to injure a rotter with a pinched nerve, totalling two of Janek's team out.

The second half saw Janek kicking the ball straight to my skellie middleman which, aided by a quick snap event, proceeded to do what skellies are good at (not catching the ball), which landed close by. I quickly got a broad cage around it with a line of players surrounding front and sides, but of course being me, I forgot to mark Janek's beast, which eventually steamrolled over a skellie and got near my ball carrier (whom will be getting pie for actually picking up the ball at the first try). The next turns saw me pushing up my right side while a couple mummies kept some of Janek's players tied up along the sides and the whole mob of players spinning around the center right like the squares from a rubik's cube. A clever blitz from Janek knocked the ball off the hands of the now famous Bling Bling Thoth (throra), which rolled about for a turn or two, until a rotter picked it up and, out of desperation of being literally swamped by flailing mummy wrappings (and flailing mummy fists as well), tried a pass over the center field to an unmarked pestigor in sight of my td zone.
What happened next is why you shouldn't -ever- attempt passes over mummies, since mummies are, as everybody know, the best interceptors of the whole game, as their intercepting works better the less AG they have.
The last turns, as you can guess, saw my mummies do the zangief spin through most of janek's defenses, which luckily were kept at bay by a series of good rolls on my part. A couple attempt at marking the fearsome ball-wielding mummy were quickly put down by a couple blitzes from my blitz ra and the last hope of Janek was that my mummy would fail its single GFI roll for the touchdown at the 16th turn, which it didn't.

All in all a fun match, which I thought I was surely gonna lose after that awful start. Thanks to Janek and well played mate!

darkweeble
03-02-2012, 02:58 AM
I'd join 4 but I really don't like my chances at TV 940 and Goblin. I'll keep Div 6 if possible, thank you.

Ergonomic Cat
04-02-2012, 02:27 AM
An amazingly painful game for my poor Skaven, who were already scared of having moved up from F to 5.

It started surprisingly well, with a dead Saurus first turn. Then a double failed GFI. But then a touchdown. And then on kick-off, a field rush leaves 5 skaven down. Then a failed bonehead gave me hope, but the Agi 1 liz caught a pass, and I was done.

By the end, I have 2-3 MNG, a dead passer (after getting double Down'ed on 1-d blocks by skinks).

By turn 12 or so, I had 4 Skaven up max.

2-1 game. My honored opponent played an excellent game, though!

boots468
04-02-2012, 02:39 AM
Lizards (The David Icke Experiece) V (Skitter About) Skaven

Act 1: Scene 1: Before even warming up in this summer sun, Oprah Winfrey has her big scaly 10spp saurus throat torn out by a rabid rodent, killing her stone dead. The rats proceed to quickly score, ending their first drive 1-0 up in score and 1-0 in casualties after just 2 turns.

Nuffle then proves what a fickle bitch she is by favouring the lizards from there in out. The h/t score is 1-1 in touchdowns and casualties, but the second half proves the decider - an out of touch kick is handed to the Krox who stands still for 4 turns, bewildered by the skaven running up to his feet then crawling away badly hurt, either because they were hit by him, hit by sauruses or hit by trying to run slightly too far and falling on their own faces.

A skink runs in the goal after stalling by the line for a while, giving the rats a single turn to equalise. Keeping up the (lack of) skaven luck, the defending lizards get a blitz. In a over due return to luck of the first turn, the blitzing sauruses' (re-rolled) dice are AD AD BD ; BD BD BD.

It was a nuffle decided 2:1 victory to me in the end, with only one permanent injury apiece. Thanks for the good game, ergonomic cat, sorry for hurting so many of your rats! (between us and the crowd there were 8 injuries and 0 KO's!)

Screwie
04-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Dread Pool (Dark Elves, me) vs In Nuffle We Trust (Goblins, Darkweeble)

Darkweeble's debut goblin game was against my developing dark elf team, who were unlucky enough to get demoted last season. Which is why when it came to inducements, DW had nearly 400k to spend. He picked up Ripper and 2 bribes and we were off.

A few highlights:

My dark elves were first to kick but got a Blitz! on turn 0. This nearly backfired for me as I charged much of my team into DW's half of the pitch, in spite of the kick going out of bounds. DW handed the ball to one of the players I hadn't marked and almost slipped through my grasp!
Thanks to a low number of substitutes, three secret weapons and general goblin-level resilience, DW was heavily out numbered by the third drive. It didn't help matters that his looney failed the first bribe and so took both, leaving his fanatic off the pitch for the rest of the game.
My linemen had been worn down over the first half, leaving three BH elves in my dug out and a lack of meatshield players on the pitch. I had to start putting my more valuable linemen and blitzers on the LoS instead, worryingly near those big nasty trolls.
Later in the half, DW's very first one turn TD went beautifully. He didn't even need to spend a TRR, which was good as he had none left by that point. Ripper is a superstar.
My AG 5 runner had only 1 SPP remaining to reach level 3, yet it took him most of the match and several attempts to get that one completed pass.
Meanwhile Ripper a managed to catch a bouncing ball while standing in 4 elf tackle zones. He held onto the ball during my turn 8, preventing my team from scoring again until the second half. A very nice save.
...and in the very next drive, Ripper did it again! Catching a stray ball while standing in 5 tackle zones.
DW did a great job with only 3 goblins and 3 trolls left on the pitch. He covered the ball well and used the ST5 and ST6 players to make it difficult to extract it.
At one point, it looked like he would try another TTM TD so I moved 3 players to mark Ripper. Instead, the ball was handed off to another goblin who broke from the scrum and ran down the edge of the pitch! The only one of my players who could reach the carrier failed his GFI on the blitz attempt, and the goblin runner scored DW's second TD.

Final score: Dread Pool 3 - 2 In Nuffle We Trust

I escaped with no permanent injuries and no MNG (I apoc'd the only one I got), plus a level up for a runner and a blitzer. Although I was hoping for a few more SPPs before facing the undead next week (two other blitzers and my other runner are 2-3 SPPs from levelling too), I certainly can't complain about this result.

Darkweeble had one goblin death early in the game, but aside from that of his injuries were all BH.

Cheers for the game!

Ritashi
04-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Hey, unless I'm being stupid there seems to be a problem with the fixtures in Div 7, the in-game fixtures don't match up to what's on the spreadsheet. What do we do in this case?

President Weasel
04-02-2012, 12:56 PM
The admins are meant to use seeding to make the league be like the spreadsheet, I don't know if they can still do that once it's started though.

In other news, the amazing, out of the blue, generosity of RPS forumite BroHipster means I can play blood bowl again without having to pay full price on Steam. I'd like to give him a Steam game back to say thank you - anyone recommend a little gem in the ten to fifteen quid range?

grinn
04-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Indie game bundle goodness? Atom zombie smasher, binding of isaac etc?

The admins are meant to use seeding to make the league be like the spreadsheet, I don't know if they can still do that once it's started though.

In other news, the amazing, out of the blue, generosity of RPS forumite BroHipster means I can play blood bowl again without having to pay full price on Steam. I'd like to give him a Steam game back to say thank you - anyone recommend a little gem in the ten to fifteen quid range?

Jiiiiim
04-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Alpha Protocol!

duff
04-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Bastion, Evil Genius and Terraria are all fantastic cheap games.

Gorm
04-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Just played a pretty gruelling match against Psuedo's orcs, he managed to MNG one of my vamps and kill one of my level 4 vamps who had block dodge and pass. :(. Anyway the result was a draw. The first half was pretty much a standard orc grind that didnt result in a touch down, which was lucky for me. The 2nd half was a bit more eventful i managed a TD and then Psudeo brought the scores even with a last turn touch down from his goblin.

Ergonomic Cat
04-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Bastion, Evil Genius and Terraria are all fantastic cheap games.

Bastion is excellent. All the Dawn of War games are 66% off this weekend too - might be appropriate....

DarkFenix
04-02-2012, 04:08 PM
I think I'm likely ditching my Chaos at the end of this season. Game after game of the dice pissing all over my team has worn pretty thin, then in my most recent game it apparently set my team's collective AV to 6 as well. I'll most likely switch back to a team that knows what the ball is (pelf or welf in all likelihood), so my ball rolls are more successful and my typical intention will be to avoid block rolls. Or maybe I'll give the monumentally (and irritatingly) tough dorfs a try, they seem a tad underrepresented at the moment.

Incidentally, why do we have 6 necro teams?

Screwie
04-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Incidentally, why do we have 6 necro teams?

One belongs to Axler, who dropped out. I put his Nec in square brackets and the sheet should read 5 now.

Gorm
04-02-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm thinking hard about switching to a human team next season, depends how my matches go this season. But the vamps are just too difficult for me.

Cacamas
04-02-2012, 07:08 PM
The Top Brass 1 - 2 Sovereign Right

The posh elf showdown of Division F ended in a scrappy 2-1 win for Dentharial. As to be expected from a newbie team matchup, there were fumbles, stumbles and trips galore with a few nice passages of play in between. The final score is about right as Dentharial edged me in overall play. I can still complain about the dice though! Armour rolls were my scourge this time: according to BBManager, 55% were successful on my guys, while Dentharial only had 28%. While my injury rolls were actually quite forgiving, it still meant that my elves spent a lot of their time off the pitch or looking at the grass and not the sky. And being down in numbers against elves is quite tough. Anyway, enough excuses, who's next?

Oh, wood elves.

Dentharial
04-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Sovereign Right (Dentharial, HElf) VS The Top Brass (Cacamas, HElf)

This got a little long, apologies. But hey, I was enjoying myself!

Cacamas loses the toss, and I decide to kick to him. Right from the whistle, Cacamas gets bad luck on his injury rolls as the fans throw a rock and knock out Nicholas Sarkozy on the line of scrimmage. The first drive was full of a few tense moments. He consistently moved the ball forward, but I was also able to put pressure on, pushing his ball carrier right up against the sideline at one turn.

By turn 4, Top Brass have had another player KO'd, a linesman badly injured, and a thrower crowdsurfed (although only a stun), while Sovereign Right are still at full capacity. Nonetheless, Cacamas is able to blitz away the only tackle zone on the ball, pick up, and then go-for-it to score the first touchdown.

Only one KO wakes up, so Top Brass still starts the drive 2 players down. The kickoff event is a Quick Snap, but the ball lands literally right in my endzone, so I can't take too much advantage from it. Everyone is out of rerolls already, so when my first block comes up Both Down/Both Down, there's a turnover, and I haven't even picked up the ball yet.

Unfortunately for Cacamas, his team can't take advantage. He moves a few players around, but then a dodge to move a player down the pitch fails. Sovereign Right quickly move to take advantage, particularly of a small hole in the middle of the pitch that is quickly widened by stunning another Brass linesman.

Something I haven't mentioned until now is that in addition to the KOs and the injury, Cacamas has been getting really bad armour rolls all over, so it's quite common that at least one of his players is down stunned on any given turn, and sometimes more.

One of my linesman picks up the ball, hands off to my thrower, who then runs up to the halfway line and hurls it towards a pair of linesman within scoring distance of the endzone. Of course, neither of them manage to catch it, and the ball ends up on the ground between the two Sovereign Right linesmen, and a Top Brass thrower. But for the first time in the match, the ball is dangerously close to the Top Brass end zone.

But it's not to be. The Top Brass defence is too tight, and despite failing a pick-up roll of their own, the ball gets shuffled around but not moved in either direction for the final few turns of the half. First half ends 1-0 Top Brass, but it's Sovereign Right to receive.
No KOs wake up, so Top Brass has 8 players versus Sovereign Right's 9, and the fans give SR an extra team reroll to start the half off.

Sovereign Right decide they don't like those odds, and so immediately start their turn by badly injuring another Brass linesman. Of course, I also leave my ball carrier entirely open, and Cacamas gets a marker right onto him. I blitz the marker away and run to handoff to a blitzer just over the halfway line and (cleverly!) cage up, having learnt my lesson about leaving the ball carrier open.

1 turn later, I decide to move a little further up the pitch, and leave my ball carrier entirely open on one side again, allowing Cacamas to knock him down and mark up all my other players in the area. Fortunately for me, he fails the pick-up, and the ball bounces right into Sovereign hands. Said player immediately dodges away and scores on the next turn.

Turn 12, and it's 1-1.

One of the Brass KOs wakes up, so the drive starts with with 8 Brass players to 9 Sovereign yet again. The kick is high, so Top Brass are able to secure the ball and start wandering up towards my end.

I start off my next turn with scoring yet another KO, but Cacamas decides to use his apothecary to keep the player on the pitch. Cacamas then moves a player to stand 3 squares away from Sovereign Right's endzone, before dodging his ball carrier away and passing from the halfway line.

I start panicking.

He moves a player closer to control space around his ball carrier, but then rolls a Both Down which KOs both players.

I'm able to knock down his ball carrier, pick up the ball with a linesman, and even get a few players close to defend, but I'm still dangerously open. Top Brass manager to blitz the ball carrier, but only get a Push (2 squares from the endzone).

Alright, 2 turns to get it down the entire pitch.

I score another KO to get some room to maneuver. I get a blitz on one of the players marking my ball carrier and chain push both of them away. I take a breath, eyeing the pitch... there's a clear path! The ball carrier runs up to handoff to my thrower. The thrower runs up further and passes to my blitzer. The blitzer runs all the way up to 2 squares away from the Top Brass endzone!

...And all of the Brass players are in my half. There's nothing they can do.

There's some more blocking from Cacamas which doesn't do too much. Even though I have 1 reroll left, I decide not to risk anything silly and just run in the winning touchdown. Top Brass is left to just make a pass to pick up some SPPs before the whistle blows.

Final Score: Sovereign Right 2 - 1 Top Brass

A surprisingly unelfy game. As Cacamas said to me afterwards, we might have scored more if any of our players had spent more time standing up! He definitely got the worse end of the armour rolls though. Not only did he have an extra injury and KO out at any moment in time, he also had a ton of players down stunned from turn to turn.

somanyrobots
04-02-2012, 08:43 PM
The Lycanthropes kicked off, putting the ball deep in Amazon territory. The Maidens recovered the ball and caged up, before putting a phalanx of amazons in front to try and dismantle the zombie line. The Maidens then joined their two groups, forming into a gigantic mass of bodies right on the center of the field. The Lycanthropes joined in, creating a truly epic tangle, but accomplished little damage against all that Dodge. A sideways shift gained little progress, but a couple of KOs let the Lycanthropes slowly build up a numbers advantage. That, plus a good push, got the ball in the open, where a WW made short work of the ball carrier. A ghoul made the recovery and started sprinting for the endzone. The amazons made a noble attempt to catch up, but couldn't match the ghouls' speed, and the Lycanthropes ran one in in turn 7.

The second half saw the Lycanthropes receiving a deep kick, and getting off to a slow start as a result. The amazons punched through, getting two marks on the ball carrier, but he dodged away and handed off to a werewolf. The wolf zipped through the Maidens' lines, but ended up alone, in a dangerous spot. He was saved by Nuffle, who struck down the amazons with a failed dodge at the very start of their next turn. The threat removed, the WW sprinted for the endzone, running in a TD on turn 12. The Maidens received the fresh kick, forming a blobby mega-cage in the midfield, and stymied all attempts by the Lycanthropes to punch in. The amazons powered their way through, resisting a werewolf-ghoul safety team, and got a touchdown on turn 15. That ended the match, with a couple of formality turns of half-hearted punches.

Final score, Lucky Lycanthropes 2-1 Gridiron Maidens. Well played, WhiskeyTangoFox! No lasting injuries (surprising, as both teams were hitting plenty), and had turn 4 gone differently I think it would've been a very different game.

Vexing Vision
04-02-2012, 10:40 PM
So, my game versus Potatoedoughnut's Necros went a little bit bad.

Outplayed near the end of each half, the Necros manage to break free from the Amazons, who hold their own in the punching and pushing business despite the sweltering heat, but who failed to dodge several times at very critical moments.

Two injuries vs one later, the game ends 2:0 for the Necros who absolutely deserved the win and had the unbreakable armor rolls to deal with the constant powing of my Amazons.

potatoedoughnut
05-02-2012, 04:16 AM
So, my game versus Potatoedoughnut's Necros went a little bit bad.

Outplayed near the end of each half, the Necros manage to break free from the Amazons, who hold their own in the punching and pushing business despite the sweltering heat, but who failed to dodge several times at very critical moments.

Two injuries vs one later, the game ends 2:0 for the Necros who absolutely deserved the win and had the unbreakable armor rolls to deal with the constant powing of my Amazons.

Yeah it was a very bashy match: a combined total of 202 block die were rolled. VV knocked my players down a lot more, but I managed to break armour more. 12/24 armour rolls were successful for the necros, while 9/34 were broken by the Amazons. That combined with my speed & annoying skill (Sidestep & Stand Firm) advantage let me keep my players where they were needed.

There was also some weirdness with juggernaut vs stand firm (it didn't work) that spoiled VV's plans in the first half, and the heat took out his lvl a bunch blitzer vs an unskilled zombie in the second half.

GG VV! Maim some of those delfs, I'll be facing them after being maimed by the Scary Brolafs.

Ergonomic Cat
05-02-2012, 04:44 AM
Lizards (The David Icke Experiece) V (Skitter About) Skaven
It was a nuffle decided 2:1 victory to me in the end, with only one permanent injury apiece. Thanks for the good game, ergonomic cat, sorry for hurting so many of your rats! (between us and the crowd there were 8 injuries and 0 KO's!)

Since I discovered BBManager today, I ran an analysis on it.

39 armor break rolls for Boots. 15 succeeded. 18 total rolls (3 GFI fails) for injury. Of those 18, 12 were stunned, 6 injured. Of the injured, 1 was dead, 3 were MNG, and I'm guessing the other 2 were KOs.

Block dice, I had 8 out of 21 blocks succeed, 2 turnovers, and 11 push/BD/TRR. Boots had 32 out of 59 succeed, 4 turnovers, and 23 push/bd/TRR.

The telling bit (which is influenced by how huge his team is compared to mine, how desperate I was by about turn 11, and how few players I had - his average # of block dice was 2.15 (out of 59 rolls!), mine was 1.48.

So while Nuffle was against me, I was certainly giving him ample opportunity to screw me. I know a number of those 1 die blocks were cases where I could get 1-2 rats free at most, so I tried it, trusting in my reroll (which never works). He only had 2 1-d blocks, both by skinks, and both were DDs.

TL;DR: I let Nuffle have his way with me (partially as a failure on my part, partially because it was Skaven vs Lizzies), and Boots did a great job of minimizing his dice danger.

LowKey
05-02-2012, 12:07 PM
I will be putting in a new team of Elf's after this season, I think I have updated the spreadsheet accordingly but have procured adequate protection from bricks just in case

Heliocentric
05-02-2012, 12:26 PM
I will be putting in a new team of Elf's after this season, I think I have updated the spreadsheet accordingly but have procured adequate protection from bricks just in case

The only protection from bricks is pre-emptively bricking yourself... so to speak.

groovychainsaw
05-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Div 7's fixtures should be all sorted now, apologies new guys! :-)

Ritashi
05-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Div 7: The Longitudinal Life (Elf) v Masquerade Ballers (Elf)

The absolute bloodiest Elf v Elf game I've ever seen. Early on saw me (The Longitudinal Life) put a linelf and a Catcher out of the game with Badly Hurts, followed about midway through the first half by a -1 ST to his second and final Catcher and another linelf KO'd. Having received, I scored around turn 6, and managed to grind my opponent's offense to a halt. The second half saw another successful defensive drive by me leading to a 2-0 score, at the cost of a MNG and a -1 MA on 2 of my linelfs. The following kickoff saw a Blitz! result, and after engaging on the line of scrimmage I attempted 2 GFIs to get a linelf under the ball. The second GFI failed, and he died. The match from that point onward became a slugfest, with both of us reduced to 6 players on the pitch for several turns. Eventually my opponent managed to break the ball free and ultimately barely slip in a TD on turn 16, bringing the final score to 2-1. The fans had decided that they were not satisfied, however, and on the subsequent kickoff invaded the pitch, putting all but 2 of my opponent's players in the dirt. I put the surviving 2 down, and ended the game with the ceremonial turn 16 pass. Both of us emerged bloody from the conflict, and even though I technically won I have to wonder if those sacrifices to Nuffle were truly worth it, as I line up to take on jlahnum's Chaos next week.

ChainsawHands
05-02-2012, 05:52 PM
...I have to wonder if those sacrifices to Nuffle were truly worth it...Sacrifices to Nuffle are always ​worth it.

Alistair Hutton
05-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Nothing like pulling off the chain blocks/pushes to set up the one turn touchdown only for the ball carrier to fail his GFI roll.

Still won 2-1 but, you know. Frustrating after the dice had been so hot for me in the rest of the match.

President Weasel
05-02-2012, 08:10 PM
It's a little after five o'clock in the pm!

We're on a pirate ship, for some reason!

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's the big Division 2 match up you've all been waiting for...

President Weasel's Red Skull Reavers versus the Cute Harmless Hippys of veteran Blood Bowl coach (and possible Swede) Jarvis!

As was probably fitting for a match featuring two chaos teams, the game itself was incredibly chaotic. Both teams pretty much abandoned the chaos playbook (I say playbook, it's a half-chewed piece of paper with "get the ball to one guy, then he runs up the pitch with it while everyone else blocks" scrawled on it). Things got positively elf-like by the end, although to be fair both teams were still trying to throw as many blocks as possible.

Neither coach was really playing at the top of their game today, which was a bonus for me as, from past experience, the top of Jarvis's game is comfortably higher than mine.
Both teams had almost identical team values, but Jarvis had a minotaur and a collection of mutations and "interesting" skills (leap? on an Ag3 chaos man? That's never going to come in handy. The Str5 tentacles Chaos Warrior is a bit scary though) whereas I had a couple of ag4 guys, a little +mv, sure hands, and lots of block, guard, mighty blow, wrestle, and block.

Jarvis elected to receive in the first half and went for a relatively conventional running game. His minotaur pushed slightly too deep into my half, and was promptly surrounded, blocked down, and stamped into unconsciousness and off the pitch. Another chaos man took a mighty blow in the ribs, and a third Hippy got KO'd soon after.

I managed to knock down Jarvis's ball carrier a couple of times, and his extra arms ball carrier just kept picking it up. And picking it up. And picking it up. It was ridiculous.
Eventually we both went a little crazy and started trying to pass the ball, and I turned out to be slightly luckier with the rolls than he did, getting a man out of tackle range in turn 7 and running in a touchdown in turn 8.

In the second half his mino woke up. Jarvis left him well back as a looming threat/last line of defence. My drive ran into the Str 5 chaos warrior and bounced off, and with beastmen closing in I decided on a dodge and crossfield pass followed by a run up the touchline. My theory was that Minotaurs ALWAYS let you down when it's important, so I would stake victory on his minotaur turning up wild animal at the exact moment Jarvis needed him not to.
All his other players were out of range or safely covered, so if the mino thing worked I could just - what's that? That beastman has leap! And I forgot!

So Jarvis's beastman leapt over mine, and shunted my ball carrier off the pitch, taking with him my flawless plan to go 2-0 up and win the game. Then Jarvis tried to move his minotaur, and he rolled wild animal. I was right!. Not that it mattered.

Then there were about 4 turns of scrumming with occasional attempts to pass. My 4ag beastman almost got a touchdown a couple of times, but always came up short with the last in the series of ridiculous lucky rolls he needed. Jarvis got a scatter launch on the last turn (after picking the ball up yet again), when a good pass, a catch, and a couple GFI's would have tied the game.

1-0 to the Reavers, and apparently we're facing a slightly weakened team next up. I can report that there were no serious injuries on either chaos team, although possibly one of Jarvis's less freakishly mutated mans might be out for the next game.

President Weasel
05-02-2012, 08:14 PM
P.S. Jarvis claims not to be Swedish, but I remain unconvinced - maybe that's just what he wants us to think...

Sgt.Ragekage
06-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Sorry to have to do this to you guys but im gonna have to drop out of the league. Big meeting at work this afternoon and ive been moved onto perm nights. The new roster we have doesnt leave me alot of time for anything other than eating and sleeping. Sorry.

On the plus sid eive had an amazing time playing in the league, met some good people and had some rocking games. Thanks for that!

cheers Ragekage.

Alini
06-02-2012, 08:07 PM
[Was due to play the sarge] Sorry to hear that Sgt Rage, hope everything goes well for you.

The short boys I manage, on the other hand, are not at all surprised that their enemies flee before them ;)

I'm available to play a replacement match (or whatever is appropriate) tomorrow 7pm GMT or Wednesday 8GMT, but after that I won't be available until next Tuesday I'm afraid.

Zoraster
06-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Well I've just added myself back onto the sheet, and if neither of the two new guys want to step in I'll be available to fill the void this season in D if you guys would rather have games than walkovers. I'll bang up an Orc team now just in case so you've got a like for like replacement.

If the choice to replace is made give me a shout as soon as Rage is removed from the league and I'll put the app in.

groovychainsaw
06-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Hi Zor, as a returning player, you'd get priority to fill in higher up the divisions, so that works out nicely. I'd much rather people get to play -I'll knock sgt out and accept your application in ASAP.

@Sgt Ragekage - Sorry to see you go, you'll be more than welcome back if your schedule changes again :-)

Alistair Hutton
06-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Almost 30 level ups in total and not a single frickin +ST or +AG.

Infuriating!

groovychainsaw
06-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Its weird how similar your team and mine is al, right down to 'no stat ups' :-(

Zoraster
06-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Okay Groovy, application is in. Now to see if I can still remember where to find the groups page...

groovychainsaw
06-02-2012, 09:22 PM
You're in - have fun (interesting starting team set up, by the way! ;-))

Zoraster
06-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Yeah, the patented laggy server/stubborn coach formation :) It will be boringly orthodox by the time it takes the field, but as I refuse to play with automatically named players I'll finish it once the server isn't hanging so much.

HughTower
06-02-2012, 10:48 PM
The Tiny Dancers took on the uber-elfie three-time Championship winners, Beyond the Pale, yesterday in a thrilling contest that I suspect Jolima thinks he should have won.

He took the advantage early on with a ballsed-up elven drive caused mainly by my own utter incompetence and a string of failed dodges, and never really looked like giving it away till he got to about T11 as he was 2-1 up and driving nicely down the pitch. He's in scoring range so I resort to leaping the wardancer into the cage for a 1 block strip. And succeed. And score.

But it comes round to T13, scores are level, he's got the ball again, my line is weak and the Pale cage it up and drive it down into strolling distance of my line with consumate ease. I've got no option but to rinse and repeat with the wardancer, and, by jiminy, the ball pops out like I'm back in Patpong in '97.

And, it really does pop out, completely free of any TZs, 2 yards from a sure handed thrower and 2 eager receivers lurking handily upfield. Bish, bash, bosh, wait a turn in the corner, and The Dancers score at the end of T15 to take it to a virtually unassailable 3-2.

Jolima doesn't get the riot he needs and the woodies pick a notable pocket.

Thanks for game, J. I had fun at least.

President Weasel
06-02-2012, 11:06 PM
by jiminy, the ball pops out like I'm back in Patpong in '97.

Heh.
Grats on the win, 'Tower.

NieA7
07-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Rok-Ard Nobz (Orc, Grinn) vs. Read in Tooth and Claw (Necro, me)

A game with overall perfectly balanced luck. However just for a giggle Nuffle decided this would be achieved by awarding one player fantastic luck and the other terrible luck at all times, randomly switching between the two.

The Nobz kicked off after losing the toss, with Claw completely flubbing their set up (a cunning plan to get two dice blocks on the Black Orcs was undermined by forgetting to put enough players next to them). Fortunately Nuffle was smiling on Claw for now, as he was for pretty much all the first half and most the second. A cage was built along the sidelines, which involved breaking the jaw of a blitzer, followed by a looser cage in the middle. The thinking here was to avoid the wizard the Nobz had induced, but the cage was so loose there were several massive gaps in it that let two Orcs through. A swift blitz later and the ghoul was on the ground, leading to several turns scrabbling over the ball (including a Wight going down with a Pinched Nerve and multiple skull based turnovers).

Finally the Nobz got a thrower onto the ball and a blitzer downfield – all that was needed was a successful pass and Claw would be in serious trouble. Of course the catch was spilled, leading to the first of the Unlikely Touchdowns®. An Ag4 ghoul pelted after the ball, picked it up in a tackle zone, made the dodge and GFI needed to escape, then threw a perfect 8 square short pass to a wolf. A Black Orc failed the interception and the wolf made both the catch and the GFI needed to score – 1-0 with three turns left in the first half.

The Orcs set up aggressively and pushed hard to equalize before half time, running blitzers in behind the Necros and pushing through the middle with the Black Orcs. This time the throwers let them down though, first fumbling a pass, then spilling a hand off, giving a wolf and a ghoul just enough time to ruin their day with the second Unlikely Touchdown®. The ghoul ran in, made a GFI, picked up the ball in a tackle zone, made another GFI and dodged out, threw an accurate quick pass that another Black Orc failed to intercept which was caught by the wolf despite being in a tackle zone. The wolf then dodged out and ran in another touchdown, all without a single re-roll being used – 2-0. The last turn of the half was devoted to trying to kill the wolf who scored, though he survived both blitz and foul.

Claw kicked off in the second half and Nuffle continued to laugh at the poor Orcs, a blitz result allowing a blitzer to be crowd surfed. The ball went deep, and several turns of argy-bargy (including a badly hurt Orc thrower) lead to a large ruck only a few squares away from the end zone. Finally Nuffle decided to persecute the Necros rather than the Orcs, a succession of turnovers caused by double skulls, a failed GFI and another failed GFI, plus a series of successful pick ups, blitzes and passes, allowing the Orcs to run in a touchdown on turn 15 – 2-1. Then, just for a giggle, on the final kick off a Black Orc was killed by a rock from the crowd, apo'd to a gouged eye.

Grinn got Nuffled, no two ways about it. In a way he was “lucky” that it didn't end 3-0, but overall he had very little to feel grateful for – the final rock to the eye pretty much summed up his whole game. Both teams are going to miss the injured players, doubly so as the rest of the division is made up of Chaos bastards.

Heliocentric
07-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Words of wisdom, watch the turn counter while you are playing like an elf bastard line skipper.

I lost to the fresh necro team Kajers ran by Kajo 1 to 0, but true to form, I didn't lose without killing someone, taking a lowered AV on my blodge ghoul in return.

The loss taught me something about not playing strategy games tired, but more about making more use of my blitz and block players. So, I grow in TV and my opponent drops, but I lost because I didnt pay attention.

President Weasel
07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Sack that ghoul, sack him now. A low AV ghoul will be hunted down and brutally targeted by every bashy team you encounter, and half the skill teams as well. Every match he unexpectedly survives is a match where the replacement ghoul you are definitely going to need isn't getting SPP.
Niggling injuries are bad on ghouls, but at least with those you're only in danger from the kind of opponent who checks your team beforehand to look for niggles (yes, I often do this). With -AV everyone can see your ghoul's an easy target.

ChainsawHands
07-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Almost 30 level ups in total and not a single frickin +ST or +AG.

Infuriating!I suspect my elfs have stolen them all. Sorry!

Screwie
07-02-2012, 11:13 AM
As PW said, AV 6 is a massive handicap to be sure. I would replace the ghoul but only when you can afford to and your team has filled out a bit. No sense in making yourself a man short. Since he also has Block you can find other uses for him in the short term.

I have the dubious honour of facing your Undead next. I do hope you don't have 4 ghouls already...

Or two mummies.

Or any wights.

:(

Heliocentric
07-02-2012, 11:37 AM
As PW said, AV 6 is a massive handicap to be sure. I would replace the ghoul but only when you can afford to and your team has filled out a bit. No sense in making yourself a man short. Since he also has Block you can find other uses for him in the short term.Well, he can stick to being my catcher hunter for now, that's probably the safest job on my team, but I do have 13 players (say hello kill spawned players) losing 90 points of TV isn't so bad.

I do hope you don't have 4 ghouls already...

Or two mummies.

Or any wights.

:( Yes

President Weasel
07-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Every game you play him is a game his replacement isn't getting SPP's towards block, that's all I'm saying. You might as well fire him now rather than be sad when he has far more SPPs and gets inevitably ruined. No point sacking him if you can't buy another, but as soon as you can, I would.

duff
07-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Yeh but you can gurantee the minute he replaces the ghoul he'll lose another player and end up being one short.

Screwie
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Yeah, it's not the most efficient path but the added redundancy is still worthwhile.

Yes

Nooo!

Heliocentric
07-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Yeh but you can gurantee the minute he replaces the ghoul he'll lose another player and end up being one short.

Got 13 players and 80k in the bank so I can dump one.

President Weasel
07-02-2012, 12:35 PM

True. I sacked my level 4 ag4 orc thrower in the Divisions because he was carrying niggles and my TV was a little high - then my other thrower and one of my two star blitzers got killed in the next game. Nuffle loves his little jokes. Still think it's worth doing though.

Kajo
07-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Good game, i had fun at least.

Brief summary:

I tried a GFI on turn 2, failed it, rerolled it and failed again. Turnover. Then Helio blitzed the Werewolf carrying the ball and sent him on the grave :(

The next 5 turns he kept me down, with 3 players -at most- standing up; I managed to injury a zombie, and he somehow failed to score at 1 box away from TD.

So 0-0 on half time was a great result for me.

On match start a fan throwed a rock on his ghoul, and his other one tryed a run on the poorly defended right side. The only zombie guarding managed to knock him down on with only a D1.

My ghoul got the ball and threw a pass on his ghouly teammate: an unexpected touchdown at 5 turns from the end.

He had a chance to score on the last turn, but he haven't got any reroll left to repair the unlucky last block roll.

BBManager says that before the last turn i got 7/12 GFI rolls :(

With a chance of 2.67 against a one of 10.something (is that good or bad?)

Finally, no level ups for me, and without the werewolf the tv it's 880 from the starting 1000.. I just hope nobody dies in the next matches :D

Alistair Hutton
07-02-2012, 04:08 PM
I suspect my single solitary elf has stolen them all. Sorry!

Fixed because your elf is evil and must be stopped.

ChainsawHands
07-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Well, he's got *most* of them, but I've got a +ST and two +AGs on other elfs, too.

Vexing Vision
07-02-2012, 04:21 PM
I used to have two +St and one +Agi Amazon, too. Until the +Agi Amazon got a -Agi injury. Duh.

ChainsawHands
07-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Nuffle does like his little jokes.

ntw
07-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Nuffle does like his little jokes.

When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles...

Screwie
07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
So benevolent admin chaps, any chance of Div 6 being rolled on early? Or would you rather wait?

President Weasel
07-02-2012, 06:26 PM
feel free to roll Division 2 on as well, all our games are done.
P.S. please approve the results.

potatoedoughnut
07-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Helio - I consider any game a ghoul survives without permenant injury. They will get hunted down regardless of AV. If you already have skills on it I'd recommend keeping it until it dies naturally. Sure you're missing out on SPP on a fresh ghoul, but you're also out a blodge ghoul until you get the SPP on the replacement. And there is a good chance a fresh ghoul will get injured before he picks up block anyway.

Kajo - On BB manager if the number it gives you for rolls is positive that means you had better than average luck (the higher the number the luckier you were). If it gives you a negative number it means you were below average. I'd say up to +/-5 is about average luck, more than +/- 10 is good/bad luck.

Kajo
07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Rakysh
07-02-2012, 08:10 PM
When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
I hope you realise how incredibly happy this makes me. Also the sig thing. Cheers!

ntw
07-02-2012, 09:10 PM
I hope you realise how incredibly happy this makes me. Also the sig thing. Cheers!

Yeah, sorry - I couldn't remember who I'd shamelessly stolen it from. I'll be amending my sig with proper credit just as soon as I finish typing this post...

Div6 rolled on.
Div2 rolled on.
DivF rolled on.

President Weasel
07-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Guess who now has an AG4 blodging chaos warrior? I will give you a clue - it is me.

LowKey
07-02-2012, 09:51 PM
It's a me! oh wait

Zoraster
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
SS masters I've not been swapped in yet and I dare not do it myself as I lack the arcane skills of NTW and will probably bugger up the fixtures :) For future reference is it just a matter of swapping the team in or does that break things?

A 1-1 draw on my return, in a game that went rather well bar a nightmare run of first roll turnovers at the end of the first half that allowed the Dwarfs to snatch a last gasp score on their possession. A feint down the left flank created a nice big hole for an Orc to charge through to get clear of the slow Dwarfs to level early in the second, and then a fairly routine few turns of inept pushing played out to end the game.

Varag got MVP which was a bit annoying, but otherwise a decent enough debut although Uncle Bob will be grumbling that it was 2 points dropped.

I've not updated the sheet for the above mentioned reasons... I trust you'll hold off on the bricks for now?

laneford
07-02-2012, 11:34 PM
GLORIOUS TITLE WINNING Championship Season. Game #1 OF GLORY!

Rejected RPG Stats (NUR - Laneford) 0 - 2 Monopole Magnates (LIZ - Jiiiiiim)

How the hell do you beat Lizardmen?
I got outpunched by the big ones, and outrun by the little tricksy ones.

Curses.

Well played Jim.

President Weasel
08-02-2012, 12:00 AM
I'm not entirely sure how you beat a well-rounded lizard team with break tackle on some of the big sauruses and diving tackle on some of the wee mans. Basic theory is you try to contain the big ones while you smash the little ones, then gang up on the big ones - but I rarely manage to make that work because good coaches use their Wall of Lizard to protect the little guys, and break tackle means you can't even leave a sacrificial linerat or zombie or what have you to get punched every turn and stand up again, thus nailing the big clumsy lizard in place.

Jiiiiim
08-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Fact: I have no break tackle at all ¬_¬

laneford
08-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Just two ST5 saurus instead.

NieA7
08-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Best way I've found is to get the team playing them before you to cripple them so badly they've got nothing left to play you with (thanks MadDave!). Kinda unreliable tactic though.

Janek
08-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Skinks are so mobile as to remain a threat even when there's only one or two left on the field, whereas the big guns are spread thin as it is - remove a saurus or two early on and they're in big trouble.

Chaos/Nurgle are problematic because of the claw, obviously, but overall probably the most troublesome opponent at high TV is Orcs - almost blanket AV9, just as much agility, multiple Block/MB/Tackle blitzers for skink hunting, probably more guard to outstrength the saurus line, and decent mobility. (Fun fact: My Fumbbl lizards (http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=596608) have only won one out of seven games against orcs)

But yeah, I'd say they're definitely one of the better races once they get going.

Gorm
08-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Anyone know where to get bb manager? The link on their forum i found was dead

Jiiiiim
08-02-2012, 12:45 AM
I raided the sporepedia for this shot of the game just before the kickoff.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/Jiiiiim/lizardsvnurgle.png

Was lucky at crucial moments, I think. Laneford burnt through he rerolls at a ridiculous rate (he used 11 I think in the match), whereas I tended not to need them. Was probably losing the block war up to a point, but my skinks did me proud, especially the wrestler, who brought down the beast and knocked the ball carrier over. Two skinks missing next game but no permanent injuries, thanks to my selfish decision to buy an extra apothecary and some babes with the inducement money. Good game that I was pleased with how we coped with the bashing game. Next: the sodding vampires again.

Nullkigan
08-02-2012, 01:03 AM
2170 Nurgle D:

Given that the top divisions are full of teams with spiralling costs such that anyone who has any amount of success with an even remotely new team has to 'play up' for several seasons until they break (or rarely, break even on tv) it might be appropriate to start thinking about a restart in a season or two?

I don't mind established teams, but it's becoming de rigueur to have huge amounts of inducements for about half of the participants.

somanyrobots
08-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Anyone know where to get bb manager? The link on their forum i found was dead

I downloaded it the other day from here (http://94.23.239.117/BloodBowlManager.ClickOnce/publish.htm). Haven't used it yet though, will try for my next match.

WhiskeyTangoFox
08-02-2012, 01:16 AM
The Lycanthropes kicked off..

Aye, well played yourself. It was quite a mess in the middle for some time.

It seems that my SPP are spread out among quite a few players so hopefully they'll level up soon so I can find a way to beat a Necro team, haha.

Gorm
08-02-2012, 03:20 AM
From where?

somanyrobots
08-02-2012, 04:45 AM
From where?

Um...the link in my above post? This link? (http://94.23.239.117/BloodBowlManager.ClickOnce/publish.htm) Or also the one reiterated for emphasis over here: http://94.23.239.117/BloodBowlManager.ClickOnce/publish.htm.

(I'll admit, putting the link in "here" before may have been hard to see. But I can never resist the chance for some good snark.)

President Weasel
08-02-2012, 10:10 AM
2170 Nurgle D:

Given that the top divisions are full of teams with spiralling costs such that anyone who has any amount of success with an even remotely new team has to 'play up' for several seasons until they break (or rarely, break even on tv) it might be appropriate to start thinking about a restart in a season or two?

I don't mind established teams, but it's becoming de rigueur to have huge amounts of inducements for about half of the participants.

Nah, I love the continuity of the league.
New teams tend to play new teams for the first couple of seasons anyway; my chaos got successive promotions up to Div 2 and are now levelling up there; I want to get to the top Div (if I ever do) through skill and luck and picking decent skillups and by beating the legendary teams, not just because the whole thing got reset to zero.

NieA7
08-02-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm inclined to agree with that, I'd hate to see my Necro's go now as they're just on the verge of being a rounded team (despite only getting 1 stat up and still no doubles). There seems to be a pretty regular cycle of new people joining and old rebooting/leaving, I think overall the divisions are well balanced.

Screwie
08-02-2012, 10:34 AM
New teams tend to play new teams for the first couple of seasons anyway; my chaos got successive promotions up to Div 2 and are now levelling up there; I want to get to the top Div (if I ever do) through skill and luck and picking decent skillups and by beating the legendary teams, not just because the whole thing got reset to zero.

I agree with this.

Space appears in the top divisions when someone at the top decides to retire their team anyway so the top tier is not stagnant.

groovychainsaw
08-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah, the divisions are designed around the idea that as you get near the top, you'll be approaching that TV level. Given the depth of the divisions, I think this will be true, you'd have to play through 21 games (currently) to even get in the champs (assuming a 'perfect' run of 7 seasons) which would see some good development on your team (I'd imagine you'd be pushing at least 1800TV by that point). From what I've seen (and I haven't checked this exhaustively), most teams in most divisions are within 100-200TV of one another (that's certainly true in my division, at least). Occasionally one team will be a bit outmatched, but if you really have flown too high and are coming up against the bigger teams without skills of your own, i suspect you'll get corrected back down until you're ready.

I think its good that the top teams are big, scary teams to play, and everyone has the opportunity to get there and play them. As PW said, the benefit of playing in a continuous league is seeing this level of development, and I wouldn't want to throw it away after so long trying to get my humans to compete at that level :-).

Vexing Vision
08-02-2012, 11:26 AM

Fully agreed - while I will likely be very tempted to reset my team in a season or two, the climb to the semi-top was very enjoyable with ever progressing dangers. Of course it's easier for the heavy-hitting teams to maintain their high TV as opposed to us squishies, but us squishies have a far better chance of just running around the heavy-hitting teams and win anyway.

ChainsawHands
08-02-2012, 11:35 AM
You can have my elfs when you pry them out of my cold dead hands!

Alternatively when their crappy armour means they all die in a massive elfy bloodbath at some point. But I don't want a team reset, is what I'm saying.

Heliocentric
08-02-2012, 11:38 AM
+1 To not wanting a reset. I'm going to climb up these leagues and I'm going to kill legends while I do it.

Bumble
08-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Having just bought BB in the past couple of days, I've really been enjoying reading through the thread and hope to compete when I don't a) suck and b) have some time on my hands. It's been fun watching teams develop and just makes me anticipate actually getting stuck in there and playing against them. Maybe. One day.

So personally, I'm against a reset, at least from a spectator's PoV at the moment.

grinn
08-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Another hand up against resetting the league. I love the structure and the challenge of cutting it against tougher teams even when I m on the arse end of that equation. I have different feelings about the Open where we're all in one boat (as much as I love my hefty team there). With the format of this league there is ample opportunity to play against evenly matched teams.

darkweeble
08-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Don't reset! There's a great spread going on now and advancing actually feels meaningful because of it. The only danger really is one guy going Claw, Pile On, Mighty Blow for his whole team. That crap is broken. I think we could collectively request the retirement of a team that goes on like that for too long. Who wants to play the same team forever anyway? Variety is the spice of life!

ntw
08-02-2012, 03:03 PM
SS masters I've not been swapped in yet and I dare not do it myself as I lack the arcane skills of NTW and will probably bugger up the fixtures :) For future reference is it just a matter of swapping the team in or does that break things?

A 1-1 draw on my return, in a game that went rather well bar a nightmare run of first roll turnovers at the end of the first half that allowed the Dwarfs to snatch a last gasp score on their possession. A feint down the left flank created a nice big hole for an Orc to charge through to get clear of the slow Dwarfs to level early in the second, and then a fairly routine few turns of inept pushing played out to end the game.

Varag got MVP which was a bit annoying, but otherwise a decent enough debut although Uncle Bob will be grumbling that it was 2 points dropped.

I've not updated the sheet for the above mentioned reasons... I trust you'll hold off on the bricks for now?

Sheet fixed, result validated, DivD rolled on, bricks reluctantly returned to their hot acid bath.

ntw
08-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Having just bought BB in the past couple of days, I've really been enjoying reading through the thread and hope to compete when I don't a) suck and b) have some time on my hands. It's been fun watching teams develop and just makes me anticipate actually getting stuck in there and playing against them. Maybe. One day.

So personally, I'm against a reset, at least from a spectator's PoV at the moment.

Best way to learn is to sign up ;)

We've just started a season so you're looking at almost a month until the next one starts, but if you register in the Challenge League (cba to link it, sorry) you can get some friendly games in to hone your skills, and discover that playing people is a completely different experience to playing the AI.

President Weasel
08-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Don't reset! There's a great spread going on now and advancing actually feels meaningful because of it. The only danger really is one guy going Claw, Pile On, Mighty Blow for his whole team. That crap is broken. I think we could collectively request the retirement of a team that goes on like that for too long. Who wants to play the same team forever anyway? Variety is the spice of life!

No danger of that. I have one guy with guard, and another with dodge.
I am making no promises about the rest of my team, mind.

ntw
08-02-2012, 03:17 PM
A few results validated, Divs rolled on where possible.

Vexing Vision
08-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Suggestion for spreadsheet addition: I would love to study my opponent's teams without having to log in to Bloodbowl. Would it be possible to have a tab where we can fill in our player's names, positions and current stats and keep that updated at least once per season? For contributing coaches only, of course, I certainly wouldn't want to drop this on the admins. This might make following match reports even more interesting.

groovychainsaw
08-02-2012, 03:40 PM
That's a good idea VV - As the bossman, as well as a player, I would like this ability, but it might be a bit too much effort for the reward (and relies on a lot of people spending a fair bit of time to set up). What would be great (and I don't know if this is possible) would be to see if we could export/copypasta our current team from bbmanager and maybe keep that in the sheet or in a folder somewhere? That way there'd be minimal filling in to do, and it would be easy to keep up to date. It does rely on everyone using bbmanager though, and I don't want the barrier to entry for new teams to get too high :-).

President Weasel
08-02-2012, 03:46 PM
There's no substitute for logging in to BB - for certain, there's no way I would mention niggling injuries in a spreadsheet. You want to find out if any of my guys has a glass jaw, you're going to have to put a little effort in :)

Alistair Hutton
08-02-2012, 03:52 PM
There is no way my team is ending before I get a AG/STR increase on one of my players.

LowKey
08-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Add jump up for ultimate horror

Vexing Vision
08-02-2012, 03:54 PM
I'd be happy with just TV, base skills, stats, rerolls/apoth/necro and current player names at the start of each season, really, and I'm happy to fill them out.

Of course I'll study your team before matching you, President Weasel, as I know you for a person of subterfuge and vile!

Bumble
08-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Best way to learn is to sign up ;)

We've just started a season so you're looking at almost a month until the next one starts, but if you register in the Challenge League (cba to link it, sorry) you can get some friendly games in to hone your skills, and discover that playing people is a completely different experience to playing the AI.

Cheers ntw, will do that.

Screwie
08-02-2012, 04:10 PM

Yeah, that's a good reason why so few players in the game have access to both Strength and Agility skills without a double; that would be Vampires and... er... who else?

Alistair Hutton
08-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Yeah, that's a good reason why so few players in the game have access to both Strength and Agility skills without a double; that would be Vampires and... er... who else?

I believe it is a stated team design goal that no one gets access to Strength and Agility apart from the comedy teams.

duff
08-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Nec werewolfs do. :(

And possibly zon blitzers but I'm not sure on that.

EDIT: just checked and I was wrong on both counts, bring forth the bricks :P

groovychainsaw
08-02-2012, 04:46 PM
The solution to anyone using piling on - a cheap dirty player and a crowd of friends :-). That'll learn 'em...

ChainsawHands
08-02-2012, 04:47 PM
A swift vgrep tells me that only vampires have agility and strength access on normal rolls.

President Weasel
08-02-2012, 04:48 PM
The mighty Azlop from my orc team in the Open has mighty blow, piling on, and jump up. No claw, though. It will be a sad day for me when he inevitably dies - and a day of glee for many others :)

Screwie
08-02-2012, 04:54 PM
The solution to anyone using piling on - a cheap dirty player and a crowd of friends :-). That'll learn 'em...

Or for Goblin teams, a nice grenade to the prone chap's square :)

(One of these days I'll play a team which has access to both cheap players and General skills...)

A swift vgrep tells me that only vampires have agility and strength access on normal rolls.

Interestingly Blood Lust makes Jump Up less useful too. I just wouldn't risk failing both the BL check and the Jump Up roll - I would always use the Blitz instead.

Kajo
08-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Oh, you have numbered the leagues based on strength?

And you sent 2 newly formed teams on division 6?

I demand a compensation!! :D

smaug81
08-02-2012, 06:09 PM

This is precisely the reason I've grown to adore my Norse Berserkers. Str access, and they start with Block, Frenzy, and Jump Up? Deeeeelicious. Sadly, they've no possibility of accessing Claw, though.

Also, they break real easy-like.

darkweeble
08-02-2012, 06:59 PM
When you thought about it, Weebs mused as he rocked back and forth in his carriage, Blood Bowl was Nature's way of preserving the species; whatever species that happened to be. Most Blood Bowl teams began with a recruitment phase where interested parties would sign up and try out for the team. The Good (and the Not Terrible, I Guess) ones made the team and the rest were either sent packing or were strongly recommended to other coaches in the same league. Generally speaking, anyone who tried out wasn't fit to be in civilized society to begin with. Any individual that needed to be immersed in that much violence was a serial killer waiting to happen. The system worked because these people volunteered to destroy each for fame and fortune.

However, like most natural systems, Blood Bowl had outliers - these were special individuals who were too disconnected from reality to try out on their own free will and, in so doing, remove themselves from society. That was why Nuffle created Draft Houses. They were temporary prisons for the Batshit Insane, and were typically constructed far away from population centers. For a fee, Draft Houses supplied teams with players so twisted that they'd do just about anything the coach asked. For some reason unknown to even the medical professionals, most of these individuals were goblins.

Weebs' carriage rattled over the wooden drawbridge, separated from a billowing moat that was filled with an eerie, purple mist by only a few planks of wood. It took Weebs a moment to realize, but the thing that bothered him most about that mist wasn't that it was probably poisonous, or what it could be hiding in its depths. The thing that really bothered him was that the mist flowed opposite the wind direction. It was the subtle details like that that made something truly horrifying, Weebs decided. He pitied the poor, deranged soul who fell into that trap.
The Draft House itself was built of tightly-joined stone and mortar that shined faintly even when it was in shadow. Clearly the original designers didn't think solid stone was enough to contain the residents, and had enlisted the help of mages. Weebs wasn't sure how he felt about having to be in close contact with people like that every day, but there was nothing for it. It was probably still safer than whatever the dark elves would do to him if he didn't coach the team.

The carriage and escort train pulled to a stop in the courtyard and Weebs stepped out onto hard-packed gravel. A middle-aged man in a plain grey robe was already waiting for him, as all approaches to the Draft House were carefully watched, and Letters of Intent had to be sent by pigeon well ahead of time. Draft Houses took security very seriously.

"A pleasant afternoon to you, sir. May I see your credentials, please?"

Weebs handed over his Coaches Certification, a piece of paper stamped visibly and otherwise with the official acknowledgement of his status in the Divisions of Death. It wasn't much good outside of official Blood Bowl business of purchasing the extraordinarily insane for blood sport, but it did grant one free Bugman's per week (not to be used in consecutive weeks) at the Coach's Club. Better than a kick in the crotch, as his father used to say.

The robed man handed Weebs his certificate back and smiled pleasantly. He was likely capable of setting Weebs and his entire party on fire in the blink of an eye, but he was still sickeningly polite. "I see that you're in the market for some goblins. Welcome to the Draft House! Please follow me."

Inside, with the gate securely locked behind them, the building looked much the same but with more of that magically reinforced stone for the floor. There was no doubt that the place was a prison. Four well-lit corridors branched off from the main vestibule, presumably for keeping certain brands of crazy isolated from others. Illumination came from sorcerous globes affixed high in the ceiling; apparently no one was letting open flame anywhere near the residents. That was a good sign for Weebs, as it meant there might be the makings of a Bombardier somewhere around.

"I think you'll find that we have everything you need here," the attendant said as he lead Weebs down the rightmost corridor. "We have all the major Goblin psychoses carefully contained and ready for Drafting. We'll key them to your voice so you'll have some measure of control over them. We can't guarantee anything, obviously, but it's far better than just setting them loose on the pitch with a deadly weapon, am I right?" The man smiled at Weebs as if he had made a joke. Weebs gave a weak chuckle in reply but it was deeply unsettling to know that "get the ball" might be misinterpreted to "kill them all". Weebs scribbled the word "ENUNCIATE" on his roster sheet and underlined it twice. Then made a big
box around it.

"Okay then. I'll need a Jumper, a Spinner, a Sadomasochist, and some kind of suicide with a good throwing arm."

In the end, Weebs left with a goblin who had an intense fear of the ground, one that could barely walk a straight line (who Weebs suspected might just be a drunk), an honest-to-Nuffle lunatic who had to be restrained at all times, and a stunty (even for a goblin) little fellow who the attendant had insisted was, "the best at what he did". While loading the crew into their cages Weebs was suddenly struck by the unpleasant discovery that "what he did" was throw balls of his own excrement then laugh maniacally. Weebs reached for his handkerchief to wipe off the back of his head and sighed. There were no refunds at the Draft House, but at least the little guy had decent aim.

Kapouille
08-02-2012, 07:09 PM
@darkweeble : That was a great read, thanks :) /applause

Ritashi
08-02-2012, 07:38 PM
For the record I'm against a league reset. The current Blood Bowl rules are designed to work properly with a perpetual league, and they really do a very good job of allowing a new team to still compete and have fun among the big guys. The current iteration of the PC game doesn't have all the stars, sure, but it still has enough inducements to keep the game interesting. And there is some insulation within the division structure, in that brand new teams won't immediately have to face off against highly developed teams before they can get some basic development in(buy an apoth, buy a 12th or 13th player, grab some Block and Dodge, etc.). Sure if a new team does well it may end up having to face off against teams far more developed than it, but such is Blood Bowl. They'll be at a point where they can compete, though they will be the underdogs, and with a good coach they'll be able to hold their own. If they can't then they'll be pushed back down and get the chance to develop further. It's a good system, and it works. Also, remember teams like mine that just got started this season. If you reset the league, then all the work we put in this season will seem really pointless, since we never got to enjoy the benefits of our development.

The Brain
08-02-2012, 08:07 PM
@darkweeble : ENUNCIATE had me laughing for a straight minute. Very well written!

@Ritashi: Here's hoping our teams are in better shape by the end of this season than they were after the last game. :-)

Nullkigan
08-02-2012, 09:52 PM
I raised the point because I have played twelve (well, thirteen now) games with my team and only ONE of them was free of inducements. I've gone from F to A and only actually won two divisions. In the division above me there are teams 500 TV ahead and I'm now losing SPP every match because there are killer players on ever high level team (PO/MBers, CL/MBers, etc). We can argue until we're blue in the face about whether the game is designed for a perpetual league (answer is probably not, some teams are great short term others are great long term) but this is NOT a perpetual league due to the resets and new joiners. There IS an effective glass ceiling and whilst it's certainly possible to punch through it, it's neither easy nor fair.

But that's all the noise I'm going to make because I like playing bloodbowl, I'll just have to consider resetting more often so *I* have fun and stay with players who haven't got comparatively overdeveloped teams.

In other news:

Supernumaries (DElf, Nullkigan) 2 - 0 Brolaf Brigade (Norse, Smaug81)
We started in a snowstorm, then it was sunny, then it was raining.

I forgot to turn off Wrestle when a Yhetee both downed a lineself early on in one of Smaug's turns. His next action was to kill a player (apoth'd to BH).

I elf-balled like a lunatic, then smaug tried to counter-elf but was less than successful - partly because my attempt had left players in his backfield. Dice were a bit nice to me, too.

Gained: 13 spp, have to retire a 19spp lineself (-Str,-MV). Net loss :(

Rakysh
08-02-2012, 10:39 PM
(Hey nulk, play fumbbl. It's better!)
Me and Jaytee just got dropped because of his completely unreasonable attempt to send a % sign in chat, we're replaying on friday.

JayTee
08-02-2012, 10:39 PM
ARRRRRRRR!!!! CYANIIIIIIIDE!

Bloodbowl decided to crash on Turn 9 of my game with Rakysh. If an admin could reset the match we're going to pitch for a replay on Friday.

Dog Pants
08-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Ulf's Marauders (Chaos, Jlahnum) 1 - 0 Anupshi Rises (Khemri, Dog Pants)

The two fighting teams of Division 7 lined up on a scorching day in anticipation of a violent match. A kick to the Marauders was quickly scooped up and heavily caged along their right field by beastmen, while the greenhorn Chaos Warriors learned their first lesson about Khemri - that Tomb Guardians are freakishly strong. The hefty cage smashed into the skeletal Anupshi linemen like a bowling ball, slowing but not stopping. True to form though, whenever a beastman's horns smashed one of the linemen they simply picked themselves back up and lurched back into the fight. Getting bogged down, the Marauder ball carrier was smashed through the fragile skeleton defences and made a plucky run for the touchline. Despite a surprising rally of bony defenders though, the runner gets through for a mid-half touchdown.
Now receiving, and with half the team on both sides out of the game with heat stroke, Anupshi Rises burst forward through the threadbare Marauder defence in a lightning attack by a blitzer. Supported by a lone skeleton the momentum didn't last long, and there proved to be ample beastmen left on the pitch to flatten the runner. Before the end of the half the fragile Anupshi skeletons had suffered for their blitzer's impetuousness, with the Marauders injuring one and KOing another.

The second half looked tricky for the Khemri team, starting with nine men against a team who had kicked them all around the pitch during the previous half. Nontheless, an ambitious feint left led into a doomed pass toward a small hunting party of players on the right touchline. Relying on slow reactions and overcommitment by the Marauder's beastmen, the would-be receivers were disappointed to find themselves skull-to-skull with the Chaos linemen once more as the defence snapped back into place. Despite punting a defender into the crowd, the Khemri could only manage to fight the ball a few yards further before the action ground to a halt and turned into a game of attrition. With the seconds ticking away, both teams seemed to consolidate their positions by beating up the other with the ball skipping around as only a mild distraction. As the final whistle blew, the commentators were heard to remark on how hard you need to hit a skeleton to leave a blood splat on the pitch.

jlahnum
08-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the write up and the fun game Dog Pants. It really was a bruiser for both sides and although the Marauders managed to carry the day, there were times I was definitely a bit worried. Yes, the shocking strength of Tomb Guardians was a surprise to me when I'm used to holding the line with three Warriors and not much else. Luckily my warriors managed to take the beating without anyone getting broken. Still a minotaur is high on my list of my priorities to buy at this point to be a little more even in future entanglements with mummies of any stripe.

I certainly was forced to play very defensively and I have a feeling that if Nuffle had smiled on you a bit more this would have been a tie for sure. I did catch a few lucky breaks specifically with my first touchdown and the dodge my beastman made with no re-rolls left. It was a bold play on my part and luckily it paid off.

Good luck in your further matches.

President Weasel
08-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Have you considered NOT buying a minotaur? They are simultaneously awesome and problematic, and their awesomeness disguises the problems and also makes it hard to think rationally and sack them.

Awesome things:
-Str 6 when blitzing
-Frenzy
-Wild Animal is the least bad drawback for big guys.
-New coaches tend to be more scared of them than they really deserve
-It's a freaking minotaur I mean come on, how could that not be awesome?

Things that are not awesome:
-They will ALWAYS let you down at the least convenient moment
-They cost a great deal of blood bowl money and bloat your TV
-They have AV8 which is the same as an elf.

Last time I had a minotaur in my Divisions team I conceded a touchdown because the idiot failed a wild animal roll - and I was asking him to blitz, which is a 2+ roll. They always let you down.
Last time I played against a minotaur, I knocked him over in turn 2, got some assists round him, and KO'd him out of the game until half time. 150K TV, more if he had skills, taken out just like that.

Skaven are short on average strength and strength access, so even though the rat ogre is AV8 he might be worth taking.
Chaos have 4 Str4 guys out of the box and access to strength skills throughout the team. Even though minos are awesome, there's a convincing argument that it's actually counterproductive to get one. If you're coming up short against mummies, get some guard and also consider just tying them down with cheap beastmen for them to smash. They have the agility of a medium sized office building, so if you put a guy next to them they're staying there.

Janek
08-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Their primary virtues are fluff and generally being awesome. For pure efficiency, minotaurs have no place in a chaos team.

Having said that, I may still be holding a grudge for the time my +ST Minotaur killed itself on a triple skull.

HughTower
09-02-2012, 12:32 AM
On the basis of what the Incredible Nulk just wrote, is there a case for having a TV threshold for the top tier of divisions? E.g. you only enter it if you get promoted and your tv is higher than a certain number.

Its probably not workable but you can draw parallels with the way football and rugby leagues force a certain standard of facilities on new entrants to their top leagues. And it does fall down with respect to the stunties (if they make it that far).

I speak as someone who doesn't want a reset, (obvs, cf. ChainsawHands), and if forced to, will pick Woodies again. But I kinda get Nulk's point and wonder if there's a worthwhile workaround.

Or not.

Screwie
09-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Oh man, is it time for the minotaur debate again?

They are the best big guy unless you're also counting mummies. The synergy between Frenzy, Horns and Wild Animal makes them quite formidable, even against other big guys - and on top of that you can easily give them Claws too.

No big guy is ever 100% reliable (I don't count mummies) and you have to keep that in consideration when you hire them, but Wild Animal is not all that bad a setback and minotaurs are tremendously good at what they do.

Gorm
09-02-2012, 02:08 AM
Rat Ogres arent too bad to be honest, but they just never fit with how i play my skaven teams.

DeekyFun
09-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Agathis Avengers (Wood Elf, AgP) vs dandy-lions (High Elf, Deeky)

On the night before a big game, a Blood Bowl team will often often get together, psyche themselves up, run a few practice plays, or get drunk and stuff their tiny faces (Halflings). New debutantes, the dandy-lions, spent most of their evening polishing their uniforms until they were shiny. Priorities, right?

Agathis Avengers took to the field looking well prepared and fresh. the dandy-lions, so unprepared they'd even forgotten to capitalize the required elements of their name, well, they took to the field at least.

AgP won the toss and elected to receive. The teams took to the pitch and the whistle blew.

We all knew Wood elves were quick. The coaching staff new what to expect but still struggled to deal with it. Pockets of AgP's Wood elves darted through the lines while the dandy-lions tried to keep them covered. It didn't take them long to work a hole through the panicking High Elf team and soon the ball came sailing along into the hands of a catch, who streaked to the end-zone. It was all a little too perfect though, as he tried to go that extra bit of distance to cross the line he stumbled, knocking himself out in the process and leaving the ball scattered in the dandy-lion end-zone.

Relying entirely on gut instinct and a misjudged sense of self worth, one of the dandy-lion players dashed for the ball, and in a rare moment of lucky genius, hurled it hard across to the other, now exposed flank of the pitch. No one was more surprised that the dandy-lion player who caught it. Suddenly the wood elves were on the back foot, unprepared for such a ridiculous counter attack. Some excellent protection from the high elf linesmen, including one player who threw his body in the way of some potential attackers, meant that AgP was powerless to stop the touchdown. 0-1

Somehow, we were winning. It didn't last long.

Players on both sides had been knocked out during first drive, and this time the Wood elves didn't make any mistakes, expertly finding a gaps down the flanks which the High Elves could do nothing about. As the end of the half approached, AgP grabbed the touchdown he deserved earlier.

Halftime: 1-1

The Avengers were kicking off, so we prepared to attack, thinking we had the advantage. A short passing play sent the dandy-lions rushing towards the end-zone, but the Avengers were well prepared, and covered well, knocking the ball free in their half and scooping it up. Worried about conceding a second, the dandy-lions threw the majority of their players into the ruck to try and knock the ball free, but the catcher holding it refused to be knocked down. The series of blocks were starting to take their toll on both sides, however, and without any subs, the pitch was starting to thin out. Sensing the numbers weren't going his way, AgP made some slighty risking moves, which paid off, moving the ball out of his half and quickly into the dandy-lion end-zone. 2-1 to the Agathis Avengers.

There was little time left on the clock, and even fewer players. The Avengers had six players still on the field after the bloody battles of the last drive, and though their numbers were also thinning, the dandy-lions took advantage of the numbers to drive straight up the field to try to equalize. Despite a concerted effort to stop the touchdown, including losing another player, the Avengers were unable to deal with the attack and conceded in the dying seconds of the game, leaving them just enough time to receive the kick off before the reference called an end to the game.

Final score 2-2

I was very very lucky to get something out of this game.

X_kot
09-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Hey, you all look like a wonderful lot of psychopaths! Can I join? I know I have to wait until next month to start, but that's just more time to sharpen my knives.

LowKey
09-02-2012, 08:03 AM
I always thought of myself as more of a sociopath, you need to put your details in the spreadsheet old chap - start of this thread - with an N(next number) for division and make sure you pick a team that isn't full, check the race balance tab on the sheet, otherwise welcome welcome!

X_kot
09-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the guidance, Mr. Key. I've decided to go Dwarven for my debut, although I was earnestly considering the Ogres. I am looking forward to setting foot on the pitch!

Oh, and props to the AAR writers in this thread - really good stuff.

ntw
09-02-2012, 08:54 AM
ARRRRRRRR!!!! CYANIIIIIIIDE!

Bloodbowl decided to crash on Turn 9 of my game with Rakysh. If an admin could reset the match we're going to pitch for a replay on Friday.

Match reset.

Note to all - I know *your* team is the centre of the universe to you, but as admins we have to try and keep track of ~70 teams so if you can let us admins know which division you are in then it'll be easier to find them for the reset. ;)

groovychainsaw
09-02-2012, 11:20 AM
With reference to Nullkigan and Hughtower's very valid points, I certainly don't mind creating limits on teams being promoted, although it might be better if it was voluntary? Eg. someone wants to stay down as they feel their team is too low value for the next division up, so they ask us? That way a judgement can be made by us admins. Obviously, if they are stuck between very low teams and higher teams it might be a tricky call to make, and we don't want to hold a team down to face new guys if they have gained a couple of hundred TV. I would tend to promote a team and rely on inducements to help them than leave them as the high value team in the division below. So, in the future (and I'll add this to the rules), if you feel you're being promoted beyond your team's capabilities, make the point to me (preferably in here, although also via PM if you're worried about it being lost) before the next season starts and we'll see what we can do for you.

With regards your problems specifically Null, I'm sorry you've been promoted up a bit swiftly. With so many teams to track, I don't always have a good handle on who's gone where over the previous seasons (and I lack TV information when working off the sheet to see an anomaly), and obviously you've been bumped up a bit fast and are hitting a nasty ceiling. The restarts and reboots do make promotions come a bit swiftly sometimes, but I feel the structure is about as good as we can get it for a long-term league with a changing player-base. With the newly-suggested option of you being able to ask to stay where you are, at least this could help your situation somewhat (especially as you keep winning and could end up promoted again - indeed, for all your TV troubles, you seem to be doing ok where you are :-D).

Any team obviously can have players killed at any level (claws and mighty blow could quite easily be encountered in your first season, if not in your first game, and mighty blow/piling on isn't a stretch). Of course, players get more expensive to lose as your team improves, obviously and I would expect any team in the top half of the divisions to lose more points than they gain if a player was killed - especially as your opponent will target your better players.

Screwie
09-02-2012, 12:51 PM
To be honest I would rather see a bit more cushioning for teams at the bottom of the league, than the top. It can be lethal to a rookie non-bashy team if it ends up surrounded by bashies in its first season, for example. The situation can be just as dramatic when a veteran team is demoted to the starter divisions.

Not sure what can be done about that, perhaps splitting the lowest divisions between certain races where possible, or preventing non-new teams from being demoted to the bottom divisions at all?

...Or maybe a large proto-division beneath at the bottom of the league that runs challenge games only, and has its scores reset at the start of each season? Then the top 2 (plus more to fill) teams at the end of each season could be promoted into the lowest division. This would allow the baby teams to be more discriminating about their competition and prevent veterans coming down from Div 6 and stealing their lunch money.

I dunno, I'm just spitballing. Does anyone else even see this as an issue?

Heliocentric
09-02-2012, 01:12 PM
A baby league is a good idea, but be aware I have played 4 matches and killed 3 opponent players.

Baby leagues can still kill.

President Weasel
09-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I like the Darwinian aspect of the whole thing.

Screwie
09-02-2012, 01:54 PM
A baby league is a good idea, but be aware I have played 4 matches and killed 3 opponent players.

Nice try, but you won't psyche me out before our game tonight!!

*cries* ;~;

Heliocentric
09-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Nice try, but you won't psyche me out before our game tonight!!

*cries* ;~;

Look on the bright side, you'll probably win the game, the winnings will go some way to replace your casualties.

duff
09-02-2012, 02:14 PM
They are the best big guy unless you're also counting mummies. The synergy between Frenzy, Horns and Wild Animal makes them quite formidable, even against other big guys - and on top of that you can easily give them Claws too.

No way pedro, Krox is the best! Stand him there and let him slap those elf sons of bitches with his tail. I'm not a fan of blitzing with your big guy so for me the mino skills are not so valuable. Plus if you go charging around with frenzy and av8 someones gonna sucker you into a gang foul at some point.

DeekyFun
09-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Personally, I think the way it's set up now is probably best. It can be disheartening to lose players, grind out matches, get your stars injured and get knocked around the pitch, as it can also be disheartening for bashy teams to have a nimble team just leap away from all the grind and run around to score a touch down in two turns. Also, I tend to find I have trouble coping with almost all opposition, regardless of race.

What's frustrating for us when bad things happen to our teams is part of the elation and rush of success for the opposition and vice versa, if that makes sense? I think it's part of the atmosphere and excitement of the game, and learning how to cope with the various strategies and adversities makes for a richer experience overall. I'm excluding the Goblin and Halfling teams from this idea though, as these teams seem designed for sadomasochists.

The only way I can think of changing it would be to enlarge the groups, increasing the chance of more diverse teams over a season, but obviously then that would increase the time needed to play each season, which is a bit of a sticking point.

NieA7
09-02-2012, 02:46 PM
No way pedro, Krox is the best! Stand him there and let him slap those elf sons of bitches with his tail. I'm not a fan of blitzing with your big guy so for me the mino skills are not so valuable. Plus if you go charging around with frenzy and av8 someones gonna sucker you into a gang foul at some point.

Beast of Nurgle is the best, obv. And Trolls are pretty good value for money too really, considering you can get a skill or two on them before they get to equal TV with other bug guys.

As for the organisation of the groups, I don't think it should be changed. In complaining about bashy teams seems we're forgetting the other side of the coin: squishy teams can move the ball about in a way most others can't even dream about (gobbos and flings excluded, obviously). It's how the game is balanced overall, and why elfs are so expensive to begin with - without losing players they'd be OP in the long run, trying to mitigate against that is ultimately skewing the pitch against bash teams. If someone wants a team of Block/MB/Claw/PO/Tackle bastards they can build one, but it's going to take them ages while agile teams will be rolling in SPPs.

Nullkigan
09-02-2012, 03:03 PM
To be honest I would rather see a bit more cushioning for teams at the bottom of the league, than the top. It can be lethal to a rookie non-bashy team if it ends up surrounded by bashies in its first season, for example. The situation can be just as dramatic when a veteran team is demoted to the starter divisions.

Not sure what can be done about that, perhaps splitting the lowest divisions between certain races where possible, or preventing non-new teams from being demoted to the bottom divisions at all?

...Or maybe a large proto-division beneath at the bottom of the league that runs challenge games only, and has its scores reset at the start of each season? Then the top 2 (plus more to fill) teams at the end of each season could be promoted into the lowest division. This would allow the baby teams to be more discriminating about their competition and prevent veterans coming down from Div 6 and stealing their lunch money.

I dunno, I'm just spitballing. Does anyone else even see this as an issue?

I think you could perhaps achieve this by slightly increasing the division size to six teams. That way it's less likely to have either down-on-their-luck sharks or an entire division of kryptonite teams. The problem with that is we then have trouble keeping the influx of new people participating and might see even more premature promotions with restarting teams.

I'd like to reiterate that I don't mind losing, losing players, et. It's that after a certain point losing players becomes less of a 'risk' than an 'occupational hazard'. Developing a good murderer does take time, because a) they have to survive being targetted (which is where things get tricky with experienced teams; you never want to let an opponent finish building one, and if they do you want to kill it with fire) and b) they're usually bashers rather than ball handlers and thus have low spp gains but are themselves somewhat hard to kill.

If you're facing POMB in your first season something has gone horribly, horribly wrong (or horribly horribly right for your opponent). There's nothing wrong with taking a POMBer (I get urges to make a team of chaos murderdeathbastards myself), and it's certainly a valid strategy. As is T16 fouling one of the champires in the hopes of not having to face it again next season. It's just slightly worrying that you can be ill-prepared to face a gauntlet of them if you're a victim of success and the people in front of you restarting :P

With regards your problems specifically Null, I'm sorry you've been promoted up a bit swiftly. With so many teams to track, I don't always have a good handle on who's gone where over the previous seasons (and I lack TV information when working off the sheet to see an anomaly), and obviously you've been bumped up a bit fast and are hitting a nasty ceiling. The restarts and reboots do make promotions come a bit swiftly sometimes, but I feel the structure is about as good as we can get it for a long-term league with a changing player-base. With the newly-suggested option of you being able to ask to stay where you are, at least this could help your situation somewhat (especially as you keep winning and could end up promoted again - indeed, for all your TV troubles, you seem to be doing ok where you are :-D).

I'm not planning on asking for special treatment, I'm just daunted by the future and highlighting potential issues for other players. I'm happy to lose games and players and will probably fly right into the open flame if the opportunity presents itself. You're also right that my DElf record is pretty nice, retirements or no.

I do think that being able to point out TV differences in the future should help alleviate things. Perhaps we should have a very brief metrics page with TV, playercount, gold reserve and a link to a bbmanager profile if appropriate? Keeping those first three correct at the end of a seson shouldn't be too much trouble for people, and we neatly avoid having to fill out a complete team roster per the previous discussion about 'scouting' potential future opponents :)

President Weasel
09-02-2012, 03:08 PM
That sounds like a minimal and acceptable amount of extra work to me, and does indeed sidestep the idea of giving my opponents info about my team.

duff
09-02-2012, 03:19 PM
Talking about spying on teams, I'm playing chainsawhands tonight and he's got:

Two agility 5 elves,
One strength 4 elf,
One agility 5, strength 4, MA 10 elf.

These aren't just elves, they're M&S elves!

groovychainsaw
09-02-2012, 03:30 PM
I think we'll keep the divisions structured as they are for now, no changes there. I will implement the option for someone to decline a promotion, if they can justify it to me (and I won't be too harsh if it looks like too big a gap). If this means putting TV values into the sheet, we can, but I don't want to have to chase 70 people for this information if I can help it...

As for the bottom divisions, I generally try to organise people so that there aren't any all-bashy or all-agile leagues for the new guys, usually trying to distribute the different team types about. Yeah, it's kinda darwinian and also kinda blood-bowly. You learn to keep your wood elves out of the way fairly quickly :-).

Oh, and piling on + mighty blow could happen quite easily in your first season, if someone decides their their big guy needs it for their first level (topical!). There's a few blitzers who'd not be too foolish picking up mighty blow as their first level, too (all my human blitzers get it, its a bonus multiplier for them!)

President Weasel
09-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Talking about spying on teams, I'm playing chainsawhands tonight and he's got:

Two agility 5 elves - you should kill those.
One strength 4 elf - you should kill that one too.
One agility 5, strength 4, MA 10 elf - you should kill that one twice.

ChainsawHands
09-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Peeweasel is correct: the only good elf is a dead elf.

Zoraster
09-02-2012, 05:06 PM
The problem with Nullk’s idea is the potential domino effect when Groovy is trying to draw up the divisions. A refusal high up may result in many more further down and just drawing up the divisions could become a real mess.

There is a halfway house that sort of addresses Nullk’s concern about rapid advancement and also would add a bit more context to the games in the lower divisions. Rather than one big column with a point on top how about changing to a series of tiers, each with their own championship division? By making advancement out of each tier optional and allowing rebooting coaches to join the foot of the tier they feel is most appropriate we should be able to take the edge off the Nullk issue without making it a nightmare for Groovy.

Either way I do think it would be good to give beginners a short term goal to aim for. The Championship is many months away at the moment even if they think they’ll ever be good enough to get there. A beginners and intermediate level championship will give some structured goals to target along the road.