PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The many, many Divisions of Death!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Skydancer
29-02-2012, 12:50 PM
In some ways it may be better to kick short rather than long and keep the thrower closer to the LoS. Something to ponder for next season.

*scrib scrib*

mrpier
29-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Kick short against a fast team and long against a slow team. That's a pretty established tactic I think, every team can make good use of a kicker but it's more useful for some (fast, agile teams).

ChainsawHands
29-02-2012, 01:07 PM
*sigh* stupid formatting, why is it inserting a linebreak?

"The general rule of thumb is to kick deep (nearer the opposing endzone) against slower teams who will cage and kick shallow (near the LOS) against faster passing teams."

- from (the excellent) bbtactics:
http://bbtactics.com/kick/

2lab
29-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Just saying Hi. I'll be signing up as soon as I decide what my team will be called and other minor details like the race.

So..o/

ntw
29-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Just saying Hi. I'll be signing up as soon as I decide what my team will be called and other minor details like the race.

So..o/

If you're definitely going to be up for joining within the next 2 weeks, it's probably worth signing up ASAP...

El Cubo
29-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Hello all.

I'd like to apply for the league with a group of Wayward Gladiators. I edited the spreadsheet as instructed (I hope). What about the Steam group?

Jarvis
29-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Hmm. Speaking of loved ones one of the other coaches in the Divisions may or may not be my wife. Can you play an online game from two computers on the same network?

I am now envisioning you asking all your opponents "are you my wife?" at the beginning of a match.

Kajo
29-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Hello all.

I'd like to apply for the league with a group of Wayward Gladiators. I edited the spreadsheet as instructed (I hope). What about the Steam group?

I think there's no need to enter the group, altough it helps to have the contacts of your opponents in the league

HughTower
29-02-2012, 08:34 PM
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/Jiiiiim/Hughtower.png

With Jolima and Laneford still to play, the Championship is either going to me or his Vamps. Good effort Lizards, RIP Race "Manskink" Car.

Swag's effort did fill me with utter disgust, it's true. Little green bastard.

But, more interestingly, I see that Jolima has won and tied up the Champs to the deadest of heats. Has anyone done the maff? It looks like Jol and I are +2 on TDs, and Jiiiiim is +1... but no idea on the CAS.

NieA7
29-02-2012, 09:15 PM
I am now envisioning you asking all your opponents "are you my wife?" at the beginning of a match.

Better that than going all Papa Lazarou on everyone I guess.

Jolima
29-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Oh, yes I did win a rainy game against Laneford's Nuglites (despite a really impressive elf-play by the foul ones) and I did count up the results. I was a little confused on whether we only count the opponents inflicted injuries or all of the self-inflicted ones as well. Any word on that? (You can't penalize the vampire's for craving a little snack now and again can you?)

But either way, the results came out the same, with Jiiiim in first and champion, HughTower ending up second and me coming in third. If you're not counting self-inflicted injuries, the balances where +2,0,-1 if I recall correctly, so a close call.

Congrats Jiiiim. I know we're all looking forward to a glorious extra sized victory piece to commemorate your victory now.

boots468
29-02-2012, 10:08 PM
My Lizard Vs Desvergeh's Orcs was a very odd game. My skill-less lizards handled the ball like seasoned elves, my skinks' armour was unpenetrable (well, until turn 15 anyway), the Orcs could only roll pushes when it mattered and my Krox passed every bone-head roll. On the other hand though, it took me until turn 15 fifteen to break any of the Orc's armour, the sweltering heat hit me harder - having 8 v 11 players for the entire second half, the damn guard black orcs more than cancelled out my strength advantage and after the out of bounds first kick-off the game decided to give the ball to my marked Krox on the line of scrimmage.

The actual game finished 1-0 to me, the goal a standard skink run-in in turn 3. For novelty factor (and thanks to the apoc) none of my players actually died, although I do now have an ag0 saurus. The MVP also went to a bloody skink again.

Thanks for the game Desvergh, it must have been highly frustrating for you to see my lizards pick up the ball in multiple tackle zones multiple times though.

HughTower
29-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Oh, yes I did win a rainy game against Laneford's Nuglites (despite a really impressive elf-play by the foul ones) and I did count up the results. I was a little confused on whether we only count the opponents inflicted injuries or all of the self-inflicted ones as well. Any word on that? (You can't penalize the vampire's for craving a little snack now and again can you?)

But either way, the results came out the same, with Jiiiim in first and champion, HughTower ending up second and me coming in third. If you're not counting self-inflicted injuries, the balances where +2,0,-1 if I recall correctly, so a close call.

Congrats Jiiiim. I know we're all looking forward to a glorious extra sized victory piece to commemorate your victory now.

And I will be the first to second that. At last.

I'm coming to get you, Swag.

Cacamas
29-02-2012, 10:28 PM
A rock hitting David Cameron (again!), some very elfy dodging, an intercepted pass, and frustratingly ineffective blocking were all part of the tight 1-1 draw between my Top Brass and Kapouille's halflings. Roll on next season!

Jiiiiim
29-02-2012, 10:51 PM
I might buy in Mr Moneybags Jr. now

Hooray victory.

laneford
29-02-2012, 11:03 PM
I might buy in Mr Moneybags Jr. now

Hooray victory.

Congrats jim!

ChainsawHands
29-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Elf Harm were up against Kelron's Deadly Lampshades, who included in their number a gentleman by the name of Morg'n'Thorg; I harbour suspicions that he may not, in fact, have been a dark elf. Surely against the rules? Also one of them was armed with knives, which again, must surely be illegal!

Nevertheless, a strong elven fist to the assasin's face saw him KOd from turn one until the end of the match, and while the big chap did inflict some injuries Elf Harm nonetheless escaped without long-term damage.

Lacking casualties, the dark elfs were unable to stand against the sickening tide of elfyness that faced them, and (aided by the +ST +MA +AG monster witch elf injuring herself off the pitch when trying to recover a stolen ball) the final score was 3-1 to Elf Harm.

That leaves them them in with a decent shot at going up to the championship next season, pending the result of the other outstanding div 1 match.

JayTee
29-02-2012, 11:41 PM
On a generally related note, but largely because I want to mention it as I'm a smug putz, I'm off to Australia with work on Saturday and not back till the 12th. So I wont be able to sign up for the next season until then. If this makes things too awkward I'm happy to sit out a season and rejoin next time around, as I really can't bitch about a trip to Oz, but if possible I'm still up for next season.

On an equally smug-putz note I'm off to Australia at the end of April for at least a year, again with work, so that'll put a general dampener on my ability to play till I get internets sorted and may well mean I have to duck out entirely due to frustrating timezone faff. I'll deal with that when it comes, but I'll get that warning in early.

Vexing Vision
01-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Jay, there are several trustworthy people and President Weasel, who have a track record of randomly signing up teams to the approximately correct divisions during their owner's absence.

ntw
01-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Jay, there are several trustworthy people and President Weasel, who have a track record of randomly signing up teams to the approximately correct divisions during their owner's absence.

...and definitely *not* firing all their star players, no sir.

desvergeh
01-03-2012, 09:55 AM
My Lizard Vs Desvergeh's Orcs was a very odd game. My skill-less lizards handled the ball like seasoned elves, my skinks' armour was unpenetrable (well, until turn 15 anyway), the Orcs could only roll pushes when it mattered and my Krox passed every bone-head roll. On the other hand though, it took me until turn 15 fifteen to break any of the Orc's armour, the sweltering heat hit me harder - having 8 v 11 players for the entire second half, the damn guard black orcs more than cancelled out my strength advantage and after the out of bounds first kick-off the game decided to give the ball to my marked Krox on the line of scrimmage.

The actual game finished 1-0 to me, the goal a standard skink run-in in turn 3. For novelty factor (and thanks to the apoc) none of my players actually died, although I do now have an ag0 saurus. The MVP also went to a bloody skink again.

Thanks for the game Desvergh, it must have been highly frustrating for you to see my lizards pick up the ball in multiple tackle zones multiple times though.

Thanks for the game Boots.

Was a bit frustrating. I got good rolls on the blocks, just never against the right target - stumbles against skinks when not using my tacklers, pushes against skinks when using my tacklers, both down against block sauri, etc, etc.

You had your share of bad luck too, what with being 8 players to 11 for half the game. Yet I still could not open any gaps in your defence.

Well played, you very nicely manouvered your skinks to give you the support where you needed it. You certainly know how to play the lizards.

Until next time we meet.

President Weasel
01-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Confirming I have an excellent track record of signing up teams to the correct divisions while simultaneously not firing their minotaurs. I'm happy to do this for you, just pm me your username and password (you can always change it when you get back)

I think I'll also need to do this for MadDave; he's away from Saturday for two weeks, which *should* let him miss the first match but squeeze in the second one.

alh_p
01-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Confirming I have an excellent track record of signing up teams to the correct divisions while simultaneously not firing their minotaurs. I'm happy to do this for you, just pm me your username and password (you can always change it when you get back)

I can confirm the above. Mr President is also always very gentle.

duff
01-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Very gentle.

Rakysh
01-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Me and Tom O'Bedlam (Div4) have been royally Cyanide'd; couldn't connect no matter what we did to the ports (we both reset our routers at least once) so we're satisfied with a draw; permission to put that on the spreadsheet?

groovychainsaw
01-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Sure thing Rakysh, its happened to me once before. Because cyanide.

President Weasel
01-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Very gentle.

Yet firm and manly, I want to make this clear.

sendmark
01-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi all. I now own legendary so would like to join the league if possible :D I've filled out the spreadsheet with id's and left race blank.

Dwarves would be nice to play (and hence the team name), if they are available.

smaug81
02-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Just a quick FYI, I shall be out of town from the 3rd through the 7th. The posts of others have reminded me that that may make signing up for the next season awkward. I'd love some admin input on whether signing up the evening of the 7th would be an acceptable delay or if I should seek weasely aid in getting things set up properly. I'm happy to do whatever is needful, I don't want to sit next season out if I can avoid it!

President Weasel
02-03-2012, 01:05 AM
I got two people's deets so far, why not give me yours too and I can sign up a division of my very own :)

Dentharial
02-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Hi all. I now own legendary so would like to join the league if possible :D I've filled out the spreadsheet with id's and left race blank.

Dwarves would be nice to play (and hence the team name), if they are available.

You can see the current distribution of races on the 'Race Balance' sheet on the spreadsheet. There are only 2 dwarf teams in the DoD currently, and there's a maximum of 5 allowed so there's plenty of room.

The only thing that would prevent you from playing dwarves is if there was a sudden flurry of 3 current players all wanting to drop their current team and take dwarves. Even then, although the letter of the rules is written like this, I get the impression that everyone here is super friendly and reasonable and unlikely to rip the final slot out of your hands if that's what you want to play. :)

In short, welcome, jot dwarves down, and get ready to start breaking some kneecaps.

LowKey
02-03-2012, 10:21 AM
I must play dwarfs, I MUST PLAY ALL THE DWARFS

Vexing Vision
02-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Dwarfs is where it's at!

HughTower
02-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Only knuckleheads play dwarves. Science has spoken.

Vexing Vision
02-03-2012, 01:29 PM
I am seriously looking forward to the next Division A - a rematch against laneford's Nurglings, some Dark Elf Babes of either Duffin- or Kelron-variety and finally some skinks! I built one of my blitzers especially to hunt down skinks, which is her only purpose and the one thing she never got to do so far. She'll probably die before the match.

It's all absent Daave's fault. :(

/Addendum: Is it bad to admit that the seasons are kind of my gaming highlight each month? Thanks guys, it's an excellent group of skilled and fun players, and I dearly love the league-system.

I'm actually looking forward to restarting and building up a new team! (In two or three seasons, after my team gets inevitably destroyed as smaug's did...)

Wolfenswan
02-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Could a kind admin roll forward div. 3? To my knowledge Fenix is still absent so their match should default.

groovychainsaw
02-03-2012, 02:04 PM
I was just waiting to see if DF wanted his last game or not, I don't usually end the season until we're ready to go with the next one anyways.

Final day is today, with 4 games outstanding. I know duffin and alethron are planning to play tomorrow, so I'm willing to grant everyone else an extension until tomorrow evening at least, then I'm going to default the games and sort out promotions etc. Hopefully by sunday morning we should have the divisions organised so people can begin applying then.

President Weasel
02-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Nuffle hates dwarfs. Fact.

Don't worry, VV, one of the things I have learned in my time coaching Orcs (quite badly) in the Open is that blitzers you have made specifically to kill one type of player (Amazons) turn out to be equally good at hunting down and murdering a fun and interesting variety of other players (gutter runners, skinks, human catchers, ghouls, elves of pretty much every sort...). An anti-skink blitzer I am guessing will have tackle and mighty blow, and maybe piling on for the giggles. That's pretty much what Azlop has, and Azlop has the second highest casualties in the Open behind Billy Big Balls the psychotic rat ogre from hell. Stop pining for skinks, and start looking out for anyone else who thinks dodge is going to save them :)

I do miss absent Daave though.

Wolfenswan
02-03-2012, 02:41 PM
that blitzers you have made specifically to kill one type of player (Amazons)

those blitzers that only roll pushes and both downs against my Amazons?

duff
02-03-2012, 02:50 PM
GC - Ooops! I just read your poster after changing my game with Alethron to Sunday to accomodate a game in the Open for that deadline. However if I miss the deadline for the Open it will affect a mahoosive amount of people, whereas with the Divisions a delay in Div 1 should have a relatively small impact as the lower divisions likely won't be sorted until after Sunday anyway... so could we pretty pretty please have until Sunday night to play? Oh god you going to brick me aren't you?

Vexing Vision
02-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Don't worry, VV, one of the things I have learned in my time coaching Orcs (quite badly) in the Open is that blitzers you have made specifically to kill one type of player (Amazons) turn out to be equally good at hunting down and murdering a fun and interesting variety of other players (gutter runners, skinks, human catchers, ghouls, elves of pretty much every sort...). An anti-skink blitzer I am guessing will have tackle and mighty blow, and maybe piling on for the giggles.

Well, Xanthia Skinkslayer has Mighty Blow, Tackle, Frenzy and Juggernaut (to hunt down Fenders and Blockers). She never got her hands on a single skink, but she IS my player with the highest SPPs.

I built her to hunt down Daave's Lizardteam. And then he quit. :(

She did surprisingly excel at punching Nurglings and Chaospeople around though, much to their terminal surprise.

smaug81
02-03-2012, 03:40 PM
I got two people's deets so far, why not give me yours too and I can sign up a division of my very own :)

Sounds like a plan, PWeasel. Best not to delay the start of the season if there's an easy way to avoid it. I'll PM you the details and leave the rest in your capable Mustelid hands.

Alini
02-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Hi guys. I haven't heard from Pseudo since he first posted a week ago. I know we're in different timezones so I haven't caught him on Steam either. If someone does can you please remind him of Division D? I'm available most of the weekend so despite the time difference something should be doable :D

potatoedoughnut
02-03-2012, 09:22 PM
I am seriously looking forward to the next Division A - a rematch against laneford's Nurglings, some Dark Elf Babes of either Duffin- or Kelron-variety and finally some skinks! I built one of my blitzers especially to hunt down skinks, which is her only purpose and the one thing she never got to do so far. She'll probably die before the match.

It's all absent Daave's fault. :(

/Addendum: Is it bad to admit that the seasons are kind of my gaming highlight each month? Thanks guys, it's an excellent group of skilled and fun players, and I dearly love the league-system.

I'm actually looking forward to restarting and building up a new team! (In two or three seasons, after my team gets inevitably destroyed as smaug's did...)

Also likely: Xanthia (sp?) will be killed by a skink

Also, yes. BB is the bee's knees of my gaming. It makes me want to play more, which unfortunately I do not have time for.

grinn
03-03-2012, 09:34 AM
That's pretty much what Azlop has, and Azlop has the second highest casualties in the Open behind Billy Big Balls the psychotic rat ogre from hell.

The Gears blow their noses at your silly As-lops and Big Balled Rats... Gonzi (http://www.google.com/imgres?start=99&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&biw=1680&bih=919&addh=36&tbm=isch&tbnid=Yg36-U1wnGtI7M:&imgrefurl=http://article.wn.com/view/2008/11/09/New_energy_tariffs_PM_insists_capping_mechanism_wa s_pushing_/&docid=STRE_BduIno53M&imgurl=http://cdn6.wn.com/pd/20/c3/81a9358649f94fc6be337800964d_grande.jpg&w=300&h=374&ei=h-VRT-mPPNCcOrOc0Y0K&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=981&vpy=467&dur=2226&hovh=251&hovw=201&tx=74&ty=169&sig=107098047389467772667&page=3&tbnh=140&tbnw=114&ndsp=49&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:99)is the Killer King of the Open:

Azlop = 1 Kill, 22 Cas
Billy Big-Balls = 3 Kills, 25 Cas
Gonzi = 4 Kills, 38 Cas

:p

President Weasel
03-03-2012, 11:32 AM
The Gears blow their noses at your silly As-lops and Big Balled Rats... Gonzi (http://www.google.com/imgres?start=99&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&biw=1680&bih=919&addh=36&tbm=isch&tbnid=Yg36-U1wnGtI7M:&imgrefurl=http://article.wn.com/view/2008/11/09/New_energy_tariffs_PM_insists_capping_mechanism_wa s_pushing_/&docid=STRE_BduIno53M&imgurl=http://cdn6.wn.com/pd/20/c3/81a9358649f94fc6be337800964d_grande.jpg&w=300&h=374&ei=h-VRT-mPPNCcOrOc0Y0K&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=981&vpy=467&dur=2226&hovh=251&hovw=201&tx=74&ty=169&sig=107098047389467772667&page=3&tbnh=140&tbnw=114&ndsp=49&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:99)is the Killer King of the Open:

Azlop = 1 Kill, 22 Cas
Billy Big-Balls = 3 Kills, 25 Cas
Gonzi = 4 Kills, 38 Cas

:p

Bah, he did most of his violencing in other, lesser leagues.

Vexing Vision
03-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Well, 1 kill and 22 Cas doesn't sound that impressive after 30 games...

We never faced in the Divisions, Sir Weasel. That may be a one of the reasons why you still consider Amazons as weak. ;)

DWZippy
03-03-2012, 12:45 PM
When do we find out what Division we're in? Getting so excited to play!

Prester John
03-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Looking forward to a new season with a new Wood Elf Team :) Too many injures to the wrong players so fire the team, keep the coach and start again!

Kajo
03-03-2012, 03:01 PM

Seconded! I know where i am, but don't know who i will be facing :D

Squiz
03-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Hopefully by sunday morning we should have the divisions organised so people can begin applying then. So probably about tomorrow or Monday.

Heliocentric
03-03-2012, 04:43 PM
As undead I don't care who I fight.

Bashy teams give me more time to bash them, agile teams are squishy. I'd prefer not to face undead as my flow of free teammates is less likely but it's hardly a feeling of horror. :D

groovychainsaw
04-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Right, gone in and defaulted people's games who haven't played yet - most ended up 0-0 (as both people had made an effort in the groups), with DarkFenix missing his game again - you still alive DF? Let me know if you think you're going to struggle to play next season and I'm sure we can work something out. Likewise, Combat, you've not made any games this season, so you'll be on my 'dropped' list for now. If you post in here to ask to join us next season that's fine and we'll welcome you back into the fold! But I'm marking you up as Z for now.

We're just waiting on Duffin and Alethron to play their game to shore up the promotions/demotions at the top, I'll get to work figuring the rest out. It'll probably be more disrupted than usual due to a few dropouts/reboots. Hopefully we'll have next season's divisions sorted out and ready to apply to by tonight....

/Edit - Also, ntw and whiskytangofox, closest tiebreak we've ever had, both with a TD difference of +0 (identical results against all 3 opponents!) and ntw's cas difference being 0 (5 scored, 5 received) to wtf's 1 (6 scored, 5 received). Literally one additional CAS scored took the second place :-)

WhiskeyTangoFox
04-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Wow, crazy finish for Div E.... It'll be interesting to see where the teams end up next season.

The Brain
04-03-2012, 08:19 PM
It's taken all season (due to some really crappy winnings rolls) but I can finally afford an apothecary. At last, my poor squishy elves have a slightly better chance of surviving next season. *Sorely tempts Nuffle*

Kapouille
04-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Woohoo, 2 bashy teams coming to Div. F! This is gonna be fun :) (Although I'd better start stocking up one halfling spares)

Screwie
04-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Oh wow, could it be? In a division with two other elfball teams?? I've never been so lucky!

...I'm going to get promoted out of Div 6 before the season starts, aren't I? :(

Heliocentric
04-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Yum! Halflings, *sigh* krems, what's #3, need moar zombies.

Skydancer
04-03-2012, 10:23 PM
*La de da*
I just hope not to be outbashed by halflings. That would be embarrassing.

DWZippy
04-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Still haven't been placed. When are we expected to.sign up for the divisions?

groovychainsaw
04-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Right now!
NEXT SEASON IS ORGANISED START APPLYING!

I just finished the sheet - i think most of you will not be playing who you thought you were playing.... Exciting, huh? Take a look over the sheet and let me know if there's any glaring errors, or you're up against more than 1 other person from last season (I've tried to avoid that), or you really strongly dislike where I've placed your team ;). Quite a few folks have had a promotion when they'd have expected to stay still, and as is often the case, we dragged up a whole division near the bottom due to people rebooting from above. So go take a look to find out where you should be applying and get applying to your division in-game RIGHT NOW!

Janek
04-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Divison 6 looks enticingly squishy.

ntw
04-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Wow, crazy finish for Div E.... It'll be interesting to see where the teams end up next season.

I'd have got away with it, if it hadn't been for you pesky kids!

Gratz on sneaking the 2nd place spot WTF.

Screwie
04-03-2012, 11:22 PM
...I'm going to get promoted out of Div 6 before the season starts, aren't I? :(

I knew it... :(

At least I get my rematch against Kajo. And as our final match of the season, again!

President Weasel
04-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Hmm, looks like my chaos mans are staying in Division 2 but with slightly different people than expected.

Smaug, Jaytee and MadDave's teams have all applied to the correct divisions. I haven't messed with them, even though Dave had a (!)and I dearly wanted to give one of his guys a random skillup.

Skydancer
04-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Applied both me and Kajo to the correct divisions. Kajo will be away on a trip to Prague for the week accompanying a classroom full of hot 18 year olds. Pray for him.

duff
05-03-2012, 12:01 AM
So we meet again Pweasel and Hutton!*

*Please don't fuck my team up as badly as last time.

President Weasel
05-03-2012, 01:21 AM
Just put the ball on the ground and walk away slowly, Duffin. Nobody needs to get hurt.
(Oh dear god no it's Hutton again)

2lab
05-03-2012, 01:44 AM
Hmm, my first season season in this league sees me take my woodelves up against orc, norse and dammed dwaves.

Divisions of death indeed ;)

potatoedoughnut
05-03-2012, 02:44 AM
Well I've lost before to 2 of the 3 other teams in my division, and the 3rd team is the current champion, I don't rate my chances of success very highly.

At least maybe I can kill an elf this season? Although I think they both have a str advantage (freaks).

Vexing Vision
05-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Excellent! I get to bring in Xanthia against a skink before she dies to laneford's freaks!

Not having to apply to a new division is new to me. Can I just stay where I am, or should I withdraw and reapply to make it easier for you admin people?

potatoedoughnut
05-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Excellent! I get to bring in Xanthia against a skink before she dies to laneford's freaks!

Not having to apply to a new division is new to me. Can I just stay where I am, or should I withdraw and reapply to make it easier for you admin people?

In the past I've just stayed put (that way admins don't have to re-approve).

El Cubo
05-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Hmm, my first season season in this league sees me take my woodelves up against orc, norse and dammed dwaves.

It does seem like a cruel joke. My norse feel bad for your players already!

Then again, as a coach of an AV7 team, I shouldn't say such things. Nuffle might hear.

Squiz
05-03-2012, 07:32 AM
As a new coach I knew it was a wise idea to choose a heavily armoured team. Sacrificial offerings to Nuffle will make sure that things go smoothly. Send in the virgin dice.

ntw
05-03-2012, 08:32 AM

Things may change before the season starts, notably any resorts of the spreadsheet due to dropouts have a good chance of changing the fixture order...

Dentharial
05-03-2012, 08:59 AM
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE KHEMRI GOT PROMOTED UP WITH US!?"

The accountant could only let out a strained gargle, due to the royal, mailed fists currently closed around his throat.

"WE WERE GOING UP PRECISELY TO ESCAPE THE KHEMRI!" The captainprince took a deep breath, letting the accountant go and stepping back. "And your second prediction said we'd likely end up with Skaven in our division. It was a 'dead cert', you claimed! What do I see? UNDEAD."

"Well, one might claim..."

"Don't you dare make a pun about an undead cert."

"Certainly not, your grace... We do have the halflings though."

"These would be the treeman-killing halflings, correct?"

"True, but we did do fairly well against them last time."

"Only because we dressed up orcs in our armour. That's not going to work twice!"

---

Can't wait to start! :D I'll be applying once I'm home from work today.

DWZippy
05-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Applied for the steam group to organise matches, and applied for the league. Looks like a pretty interested mix up of teams. Chances are I'll be writing as I play on my blog, if I do this, I'll share that here.

First up my High Elves have to take their nippy, slightly ridiculous fighting methods to Graevers Humans.

groovychainsaw
05-03-2012, 09:14 AM
@2lab - apologies for the tough start - if it's any consolation, I don't think we've had a season yet where all the new guys turn up, so you might not end up in that position? Plus, look at it the other way - you've got all the movement and AG4 skills in your league - abuse it by scoring 4 touchdowns per game!

DWZippy
05-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Also, I had to dig and delve for the correct link for the match organising link, any chance of updating that in the first post?

groovychainsaw
05-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Good point Darkwing - it used to be that you couldn't edit your posts after a certain threshold, but they appear to have changed that rule - I have gone in and edited it accordingly now.

No excuses for anyone then, please remember to apply to the groups if you're not a member already (up top, 'communities->groups->RPS divisions of death') so you can organise your games with others. Whilst we're happy for you to sort it out on steam (or anything else!), this is our 'official' record of your attempts to play, so will be the only evidence we can use if you miss your game to show that you made an effort. It's all in the 'rules' on the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0Vre Xc#gid=36) too.

Vexing Vision
05-03-2012, 09:46 AM

It's not like you have any players with dodge the dwarfs can negate. Just stay our of their short reach. :)

Especially at TV 1000, your elves shouldn't have much to fear against the opposition unless you really want to brawl it out.

Now, at TV ~1500....

mrpier
05-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Applied for div. D. Lizards, orcs and a grudgematch against another skaven-clan, could be worse I suppose. Need to get that rat ogre though.

alh_p
05-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Looks like Div 7 "the restarts" will be interesting. A balance of bash and Ag teams. Although my novice undead coaching is probably going to be picked apart by woodies in the first game... hi ho.

ntw
05-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Applied for div. D. Lizards, orcs and a grudgematch against another skaven-clan, could be worse I suppose. Need to get that rat ogre though.

Not so much a clan, more a group of desperate rejects from other, proper clans....

boots468
05-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Wow, my second season in a row of being in with an orc team and two skaven teams. Entirely different set of coachs though, hopefully these three will find it harder to injure Sauruses!

Graever
05-03-2012, 12:46 PM
So it would seem the powers that be have decided that the brawlers first opponents are to be darkwings elves and gorms skaven. Predictably this seems to have made the team somewhat more optimistic about living long enough for us to actually afford an apothecary (and strangely evasive on the subject of their final game for the season).

Also the team ogre has had this really odd spring to his step ever since he managed to grasp the nature of our initial opposition.

sendmark
05-03-2012, 01:25 PM

Don't worry, I've literally only played 1 game with dwarves before. I also only got Legendary last week and have played a handful of games.

duff
05-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Just gone through and accepted a ton of applications (though keep an eye out as you may need to switch again!) and kicked out a ton of nubs (I believe that's what they say?) to make room. We seem to be about half way there with applications.

groovychainsaw
05-03-2012, 02:30 PM
If that's so, well done chaps - half already is really good (I haven't applied myself yet!).

Admins, just remember not to get too keen accepting people further down until we're sure that they're not going to move up....

darkweeble
05-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Two Elf teams and a Nurgle? My Trolls might get some SPPs! Of course I might just lose two 6-0 games and get beaten to green paste, too. I'm willing to make my team accept the risk. I'll apply tonight when I get home.

Screwie
05-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Two Elf teams and a Nurgle? My Trolls might get some SPPs! Of course I might just lose two 6-0 games and get beaten to green paste, too. I'm willing to make my team accept the risk. I'll apply tonight when I get home.

Goblins can always bounce back. Only two players on their squad who aren't expendable. :)

Tom OBedlam
05-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Oh good god, division 3 *weeps*

groovychainsaw
05-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Trust me Tom, I been there, done that. Only humans in an all-bashy league. At least you're the only team with MA8 players? Play run away and pass-and-catch :-)

Squiz
05-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Maybe I did something wrong, but I can't seem to be able to find "RPS Division of Death 8" in the game. Do we wait until the upper Divisions are filled in until we open the lower ones?

Edit: Ah, it is "RPS Divisions of Death 8". A bit confusing, but there you go. Applied.

2lab
05-03-2012, 05:32 PM
@2lab - apologies for the tough start - if it's any consolation, I don't think we've had a season yet where all the new guys turn up, so you might not end up in that position? Plus, look at it the other way - you've got all the movement and AG4 skills in your league - abuse it by scoring 4 touchdowns per game!

I wasn't expecting to get in at all this season, so it's all good anyway.

Kapouille
05-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Oh dear, a halfling team promoted to an above Division! Probably never heard of before! Must not forget to apply to the right division...
Can't wait to get mashed by generally undead teams and our old friends from Sovereign Rights (although, they thankfully tend to have a soft touch).

Prester John
05-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Looks like Div 7 "the restarts" will be interesting. A balance of bash and Ag teams. Although my novice undead coaching is probably going to be picked apart by woodies in the first game... hi ho.

I'm sure my Woodelves can continue where the old team left off :) Doing Badly!

Kapouille
05-03-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm sure my Woodelves can continue where the old team left off :) Doing Badly!

Hopefully, this time around, your Treeman won't get killed on the first match :P
(Edit: Not that I was happy about that happening on our match... That was some seriously bad luck :S)

HughTower
05-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Well I've lost before to 2 of the 3 other teams in my division, and the 3rd team is the current champion, I don't rate my chances of success very highly.

At least maybe I can kill an elf this season? Although I think they both have a str advantage (freaks).

'Hands has got some lovely candidates for euthansia if you look closely enough. I'm sure he won't mind.

Tom OBedlam
05-03-2012, 06:16 PM
That's the worst three teams for me. Nurgle especially. Looks like I may be spending much gold on wandering apothecaries

HughTower
05-03-2012, 06:43 PM
It's not like you have any players with dodge the dwarfs can negate. Just stay our of their short reach. :)

Apart from two wardancers and, most likely, two catchers. That's 420 TV right there...

2lab - apologies if I'm teaching your grandma to suck eggs and you actually happen to be Mr Bloodbowl (Croatia, '03) but put a treeman in your starting team. He needs as much time as possible to get good. And a block-free LoS. Also, go light on the re-rolls (no more than 1) - you've got enough AG and skills on the specialists to cope.

And, never ever brawl. Ever.

President Weasel
05-03-2012, 07:05 PM
While all the evidence suggests that Hughtower knows more about blood bowl than I do, I disagree with him here. Don't bother with the treeman, he's a big slow waste of points in a team that's about being fast and agile. (If you ARE going to bother with the treeman, bother with him at the start because as Tower says they need all the development time you can give them. But don't). You need at least two rerolls, and you need to buy them now before they get eye-wateringly expensive and you're scraping around for money to buy fresh elves.

And never, ever, ever brawl, ever. Brawl less than that, if you can.

I'd suggest the first lineup in this list (http://bbtactics.com/tv1000-wood-elf-starting-roster/), and pray your wardancers don't get merked before you can scratch together the 20 grand more you'll need for the apoc.

On the other hand, Dwarfs. Maybe get a treeman.

Screwie
05-03-2012, 07:19 PM
2lab - apologies if I'm teaching your grandma to suck eggs and you actually happen to be Mr Bloodbowl (Croatia, '03) but put a treeman in your starting team. He needs as much time as possible to get good. And a block-free LoS. Also, go light on the re-rolls (no more than 1) - you've got enough AG and skills on the specialists to cope.

Hahaha, weird that your advice is pretty much the opposite of what I would suggest:

1. Don't bother with the treeman, ever. He's terrible.

2. Absolute minimum of 2 TRRs, preferably 3. Elves are agile but light on some skills like Sure Hands which will end up biting you. TRRs will help you be your elfy best and they're cheaper now instead of later.

That's what I would do anyway. Maybe both strategies are valid? or maybe just don't listen to me at all :)

Janek
05-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah I'm of the "Treeman = too slow" mindset too, despite being a fairly confrontational elf player. Go Naturists! Etc. But it's down to personal preference really, and I've seen top-level wood elf players both with and without treemen.

potatoedoughnut
05-03-2012, 07:35 PM
'Hands has got some lovely candidates for euthansia if you look closely enough. I'm sure he won't mind.

Yeah I tried that last time I played his freak elves, and IIRC he killed one of MY guys.

Also regarding woodies, I usually go with the full positional, no reroll starting roster. Get leader on a thrower for a cheap reroll, then add another way down the line when you get some cash. You'll lose players, but you should also be winning games by scoring a lot so that will at least give you cash to replace positionals. Don't bother replacing linos.

However, this lineup is not very forgiving and not recommended for new players.

I like the treeman, if for nothing else than to distract from getting your other players hit.

President Weasel
05-03-2012, 07:37 PM
It's not my fault you don't listen! Murder them, I said, but noooo, you had to be different. You had to be your own man.

X_kot
05-03-2012, 07:41 PM
"Alright, alright, let's get this over with. Everyone pipe down until it's yer turn to speak or by the Great Maw, I'll...!

"Ahem, right. It is my distinct honor to announce the creation of a new Ogre team - affectionately known as The Knuckle Heads - the charter of which has been approved by Greasus Goldtooth hisself, indirectly, via the subordinate of his chancellor's scribe. I have scoured the whole of the Mountains of Mourn to find the most promising bulls ever to grace the pitch; one of them even knows what touchdown is. Suffice it to say that this squad will provide a strong, reliable, yet, dare I say, graceful foundation upon which champions are built.

"Of course, no team would be complete without hardy and agile ball-handlers, and to that end, we have shipped in a literal crateload of snotlings, all of whom come from notable pedigrees in their respective warrens. These rambunctious scamps have a passion for the game that far exceeds their stature, and their talent almost as much.

"With that, members of the press, I will open the floor for questions. Yes, the Tau in the back?"

"Thank you, coach. How do you like your chances this season?"

"Better than your face. The orc in the houndstooth jacket?"

"What kind of playbook can we expect to see?"

"A very thin one with lots of colorful pictures. Last question...the Eldar with the paisley tie?"

"Any truth to the rumors that your former business parter was found disembowled..."

"This press conference is over!"

Zoraster
05-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Iím another in the Pres camp regarding the humble Tree. The introduction of Journeymen has removed the one asset (survivability) Trees gave the team. I never consider getting a Tree on a Woodie team. They are totally counter to everything that makes Woodies easy mode. Speed, agility and mobile screens donít really fit the Treeman skillset! Moreover if you want to play to Woodies real defensive strengths youíll often be running asymmetrical set ups, further marginalising the Tree. The usual argument in their favour is you need the protection on the LoS but as he is basically out the game after that (against competent coaches at least) you are actually worse off most of the time. Far better to let a lino get hit rather than accepting a ten man drive from the off and way way better to be able to leverage your manoeuvrability advantage on defence rather than be tied down by the great lump in the middle.

Dentharial
05-03-2012, 07:46 PM
This evening has been a mixed bag. I gleefully login to BB, and discover than my Blitzer got a double on his skillup. Guard it is. And I get Dodge on a Lineself, excellent.

Let's go and apply to that new division then, great.

Oh look, the undead and the khemri teams are already there. Let's have a look at them!

Huh, so the undead team has...3 players with Guard already? Including one of the Mummies? That's...intimidating. And the ghoul has +1MA... Huh...

And the Khemri team has...4 Tomb Guardians? ...What? That's allowed?

*whimper*

Alistair Hutton
05-03-2012, 07:54 PM
"Sergant, sergant"
"Yes Corporal?"
"We've been promoted sarge"
"What are you wittering on about , we haven't played the last game of the season yet you silly little man"
"Nah Sarge, we won the last match by default"
"Default Corporal?"
"Yes Sarge"
"The two sweetest words in the Reikstounge Corporal and never forget it"
"No Sarge"

President Weasel
05-03-2012, 08:03 PM
You keep away from me, Hutton, YOU KEEP AWAY!

/whimpers

Heliocentric
05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
This evening has been a mixed bag. I gleefully login to BB, and discover than my Blitzer got a double on his skillup. Guard it is. And I get Dodge on a Lineself, excellent.

Let's go and apply to that new division then, great.

Oh look, the undead and the khemri teams are already there. Let's have a look at them!

Huh, so the undead team has...3 players with Guard already? Including one of the Mummies? That's...intimidating. And the ghoul has +1MA... Huh...

And the Khemri team has...4 Tomb Guardians? ...What? That's allowed?

*whimper*Hoy, Yeah, the +MV guard ghoul sees alot of use, think of it as a 2 man blitz, great for removing key players.

Guard on an elf? What's to stop someone hitting the guarding elf? You ask the same of my ghoul, my answer? Disposable zombies!

Disposable zombies is also my plan for dealing with the tomb guardians.

Yep, its gonna get messy.

Alistair Hutton
05-03-2012, 09:18 PM
You keep away from me, Hutton, YOU KEEP AWAY!

/whimpers

My victory against you was predicated upon your Minotaur's desire to stay still in the middle of the pitch and not do anything. That tactic is closed off to me now that you don't have a Mino.

HughTower
05-03-2012, 09:37 PM
My tree is my god, my totem, my maypole and my heartbeat. In less emotional terms, he's a great sponge for hits and a focal point for the more red mister of my opponents. Sure, he has bad days where he might as well not be there, especially against fellow elves, but he's had plenty of good days against the bash to be worth his timber.

A full postional starting roster gives you 8 skill rolls straight off the bat. Play cautiously, and without really terrible luck, you'll do just fine. I fully understand the treeman's Marmite qualities, but 2 rerolls is a real waste on woodies (from the off) and just ends up enabling lazy play. In my oh so humble view. Like putting stabilisers on a Chopper. Or something.

Plus Weasel's bitter and twisted when it comes to discussing elven perfection. It was old Iron Quinns who made him so.

Plus plus, what the jiminy is a asymmetric setup? They sound fun.

X_kot
05-03-2012, 09:52 PM

I suspect this refers to the old ploy of stacking a receiving team to one side or another to dupe the kicking team into overcommitting. Works pretty well with an agile team, from what I've seen.

But what do I know? I'm just an Ogre - I bite the heads off Humans.

Kapouille
05-03-2012, 09:54 PM

Hoy, Yeah, the +MV guard ghoul sees alot of use, think of it as a 2 man blitz, great for removing key players.

..... Great! I'm glad for you guys.

I have precisely managed to get one and only one skill up :)

(Please let it be plenty of induction credits....)

President Weasel
05-03-2012, 10:29 PM
My tree is my god, my totem, my maypole and my heartbeat. In less emotional terms, he's a great sponge for hits and a focal point for the more red mister of my opponents. Sure, he has bad days where he might as well not be there, especially against fellow elves, but he's had plenty of good days against the bash to be worth his timber.

A full postional starting roster gives you 8 skill rolls straight off the bat. Play cautiously, and without really terrible luck, you'll do just fine. I fully understand the treeman's Marmite qualities, but 2 rerolls is a real waste on woodies (from the off) and just ends up enabling lazy play. In my oh so humble view. Like putting stabilisers on a Chopper. Or something.

Plus Weasel's bitter and twisted when it comes to discussing elven perfection. It was old Iron Quinns who made him so.

I'm just bitter and twisted in general, but as for elfs? For every traitorous Iron Quinns there's a heroic Alec Meer.
Don't forget I had a season or two with wood elfs in the Open as well. Poor buggers got slaughtered, but that was my fault, not theirs. Won a couple of games a season, too, despite never being able to field a full team.

Screwie
05-03-2012, 10:30 PM
My tree is my god, my totem, my maypole and my heartbeat. In less emotional terms, he's a great sponge for hits and a focal point for the more red mister of my opponents.

Honestly, I have never fallen to this temptation against treefolk. Like those vicious evil mummies, I'll not waste time and energy trying to floor them when I can just walk around them.

Jiiiiim
05-03-2012, 10:34 PM
I spent the entire last game against Hughtower punching that tree, but in fairness he deserved it.

Skydancer
05-03-2012, 10:38 PM
..... Great! I'm glad for you guys.

I have precisely managed to get one and only one skill up :)

(Please let it be plenty of induction credits....)

Well... I also managed to get like one skillup in 3 games, since I had an even distribution of SPP throrough the team, so I'm not really that menacing yet. I guess I'm in for some rough matches this season...

Edit: This means very little induction for you, mate!

somanyrobots
06-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Looking forward to a nicely varied div 4 (orcs, skaven, amazons, necros). And a rematch against WhiskeyTangoFox! Whose team was the only one last season that managed to hold their own against the Lycanthropes in the "punching things until they die" category. Though I am a little sad to not be the bashiest team in my div this season, I expect Desvergeh's orcs will try to teach my necros what real punching is.

Gorm
06-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Division G is varied i think, Skaven, High Elves, Humans and Ogres. Just i wish i had Ogres last so i might have some chance of getting might blow on the snotlings.

Screwie
06-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Applied to Div 5.

I also have 120k in the bank, but I'll hold off on spending anything until I get a look at Rakysh's necro team. I might drop the cash for a 4th TRR, or save it for replacement elves. I'm down to 11 men for my match against Rakysh, though...

Rakysh
06-03-2012, 06:31 AM
Applied, looking forward to playing some teams that aren't 500 tv ahead of me :P

DWZippy
06-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Definitely sharing gorms view on div G, luckily I've got the comparatively squashy humies before my trip to ogrebeatdownsville.

ChainsawHands
06-03-2012, 10:24 AM
'Hands has got some lovely candidates for euthansia if you look closely enough. I'm sure he won't mind.Oh, please. I feel dirty every time I play them, and I'd quite like to try a new team... but I just can't turn my back on 2 AG5, one ST4 block dodge leap frenzy, and one ST4 AG5 MA10. It's sickening! But I can't stop! SOMEONE HELP ME!

duff
06-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Oh, please. I feel dirty every time I play them, and I'd quite like to try a new team... but I just can't turn my back on 2 AG5, one ST4 block dodge leap frenzy, and one ST4 AG5 MA10. It's sickening! But I can't stop! SOMEONE HELP ME!

*Sneaks up behind 'Hands*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Hqf91FA9I

ChainsawHands
06-03-2012, 11:08 AM
What a shame.

desvergeh
06-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Looking forward to a nicely varied div 4 (orcs, skaven, amazons, necros). And a rematch against WhiskeyTangoFox! Whose team was the only one last season that managed to hold their own against the Lycanthropes in the "punching things until they die" category. Though I am a little sad to not be the bashiest team in my div this season, I expect Desvergeh's orcs will try to teach my necros what real punching is.

I did use to play Necros, but switched to Orcs as they weren't punchy enough!

Edit - And watch out for that rat ogre. Killed 2 players of mine (1 saved by apoc) last time I played him.

duff
06-03-2012, 12:54 PM
What a shame.

It was the only way. The only way.

LowKey
06-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Having some internet difficulties but hoping to apply tonight, tomorrow at the latest darlings

President Weasel
06-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Send me your deets, I have already successfully submitted three teams, let's go for four.

LowKey
06-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Frankly i am terrified of trying to remember a password i havent entered in about two years, however i may well take you up on that offer, stay tuned!

DWZippy
06-03-2012, 08:35 PM
My match is scheduled for tomorrow. I applied days ago, any chance of being accepted soon? Div G.

groovychainsaw
06-03-2012, 08:38 PM
It is definitely not tomorrow! The season won't start until everyone has applied, in case we have to move people due to no-shows. Patience, young one! I'll let everyone know when they should start organising their games :-). I appreciate the enthusiasm though!

/Edit - Having said that, I've gone through and we're only missing 8 people! Sterling work so far chaps. Missing so far are:
Jolima, Grinn, INinja, Darkfenix, Phill, Alini, Indefatigable Snoozer and Deekyfun! If you get in soon chaps, we can start the next season, which is what we're all waiting for... :-)

Jolima
06-03-2012, 10:45 PM
I've applied now, and Ailini was in as well when I checked. So only 6 to go.

Skydancer
07-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Saw deeky online on steam earlier today, he might need a nudge.

grinn
07-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi guys, I ve been flying around for a few days. Will apply later tonight.

LowKey
07-03-2012, 09:51 AM
It is definitely not tomorrow! The season won't start until everyone has applied, in case we have to move people due to no-shows. Patience, young one! I'll let everyone know when they should start organising their games :-). I appreciate the enthusiasm though!

/Edit - Having said that, I've gone through and we're only missing 8 people! Sterling work so far chaps. Missing so far are:
Jolima, Grinn, INinja, Darkfenix, Phill, Alini, Indefatigable Snoozer and Deekyfun! If you get in soon chaps, we can start the next season, which is what we're all waiting for... :-)

Ooo do i not need to switch divisions? Hurray for average performances!

Indefatigible Snoozer
07-03-2012, 09:56 AM
I'll apply tonight.

Vexing Vision
07-03-2012, 12:21 PM
I nagged Phill on Twitter. I think he's still a bit jetlagged from the GDC.

ntw
07-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I nagged Phill on Twitter. I think he's still a bit jetlagged from the GDC.

Wuss! RPS DoD is more important than mere jetlag!

Vexing Vision
07-03-2012, 02:50 PM
I agree! I'm launching Carte Europe tomorrow which looks pretty big by now, and I'm still excitedly following the RPS Division discussions and can't wait to start! :D

Screwie
07-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Between the Open and the DoD I have a necro double bill this week. Despite those undead gits, I can't wait to get back to playing some BB. :)

INinja132
07-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Applied to division 4.

groovychainsaw
07-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Fixtures checked and season started down to 2/B so far, just waiting on Grinn, DarkFenix, Snoozer and Deekyfun to get the rest going :-). Well done all, i was expecting to have to wait until the weekend to chase people up...

DeekyFun
07-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Sorry guys! One of the drawbacks of finish your last game so early seems to be completely losing track of when the next season is beginning... applying to group F now.

D

DarkFenix
08-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Sorry for disappearing last season, final year project ongoing at uni. As such I'll need to give this season a miss and come back next season. Convenient time to, since I'm getting a new team going in any case.

groovychainsaw
08-03-2012, 03:14 PM
No worries DF, hope you get a high mark for sacrificing your blood bowl ;-).

This means we're now one short for the new season, I need a volunteer from Div 8 to go up to 7... first post in here (and applied in-game), first served. I'll also need another player for division 8, so if anyone's been lurking and would like a go in our lovely divisions, it would be a good opportunity to face off against some other new players. Failing that, would anyone else like to create a filler team to join the new boys? (goblins, ogres or halflings only please!)

President Weasel
08-03-2012, 03:25 PM
I'll volounteer to reactivate my old Dark Elf team for one season only, if you like. They're way overlevelled and will probably win (although with the treachery of Iron Quinns an ever-present threat, you never know) but at least none of them have mighty blow so they're unlikely to wreck up someone's shiny new team while the paint on the models is still wet.

El Cubo
08-03-2012, 04:45 PM
This means we're now one short for the new season, I need a volunteer from Div 8 to go up to 7... first post in here (and applied in-game), first served.

I'll volunteer to escape President Weasel's not-so-mighty dark elves.

DWZippy
08-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Does this mean Div G can start tomorrow?

groovychainsaw
08-03-2012, 08:40 PM
El Cubo - if you apply for div 7 tonight, you've got the spot :-). PW, anything a bit softer than your dark elves? They seem a bit tough to go up against our new guys maybe?

Edit - all the letter divisions are GO! Just waiting on Grinn now for div 3, and El Cubo/PW for 7 and 8. Season will officially start tomorrow, so you'll have 10 days from then to play your first game!

President Weasel
08-03-2012, 08:47 PM
I picked the Delves because they're a legit Divisions team and they haven't done a stroke of work since I retired them, the lazy buggers. Also, they probably won't hurt too many enemy, err, opposition, players. I could submit the Feisty Squirrels instead, they're my old Wood Elf team from the Open.
(and they're a shambles of injuries, gaps where players died and got fired, and MNGs at the moment - there's a reason I play Orcs in the Open now)

El Cubo
08-03-2012, 09:08 PM
El Cubo - if you apply for div 7 tonight, you've got the spot :-).

It is done.

Squiz
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Eh, aren't the new Divisions supposed to be reserved for, you know, new teams?

Edit: If PW's Dark Elves just get reactivated for one season only, why not make a new team instead?

President Weasel
08-03-2012, 10:03 PM
I dont want to make yet another new team, I'd rather bring back my old one from the Divisions, or failing that an old one from the Open. Since I have no intention of staying in with that team (it's only there to make 4, so the other three players get to play this season) I don't see why it should be a new team, as long as the challenge is roughly the same for all the other players.
I wouldn't want a killer chaos team or high level khemri, orcs, nurgle up against the newbies- these are elves though.
I don't see a queue of other volounteers, but if someone else wants to enter a new team they can feel free.

Squiz
08-03-2012, 10:10 PM
I dont want to make yet another new team, I'd rather bring back my old one from the Divisions, or failing that an old one from the Open. Since I have no intention of staying in with that team (it's only there to make 4, so the other three players get to play this season) I don't see why it should be a new team, as long as the challenge is roughly the same for all the other players.
I wouldn't want a killer chaos team or high level khemri, orcs, nurgle up against the newbies- these are elves though.
I don't see a queue of other volounteers, but if someone else wants to enter a new team they can feel free.Dark Elves, but fair enough. If there aren't any other other teams available - whatever.

Screwie
08-03-2012, 10:23 PM
I don't see a queue of other volounteers, but if someone else wants to enter a new team they can feel free.

I'll chuck some rookie goblins into Div 8 then, if it's less contentious for everyone. Let the admins accept whomever they deem fit.

PW's dark elves would make great filler for the upper divisions, as an alternative policy for when this sort of thing happens in the future?

groovychainsaw
08-03-2012, 11:03 PM
ALL DIVISIONS ARE GO! SEASON STARTS TOMORROW GET ORGANISING YOUR GAMES!

Screwie, after a discussion with PW, your gobbos are in the bottom division for the new guys to bash. El Cubo, good response time, you're in 7 now - enjoy! :-)

I'm still waiting on Grinn to apply to 3, but as I've spoken to him tonight, I hope we'll get that one sorted shortly. Everyone check your fixtures before starting up your first game, I have set them up and matched them to the sheet myself, but due to cyanide's lovely UI, they don't always update correctly and a lot of the time I'm moving invisible teams around (I'm not going to explain, suffice to say, its crap).

Screwie
08-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Okay then! Cheers Mr Weasel for being a gent about it.

Vexing Vision
09-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Ugh. What have you done! That Screwie guy, he's a mighty dangerous fellah with them greenskins.

Go kill some balls, Screwie!

Screwie
09-03-2012, 12:42 AM
I will take this opportunity to practice my goblins' aerodynamics, I think. My other goblin team managed to get two good Mario-style headstomps on Janek's necromantics tonight. :D

P.S. Attention admin overlords! Division 8's in-game calendar does not match the spreadsheet. Can someone have a look at that please? :)

LowKey
09-03-2012, 06:57 AM
So what youre saying screwie, is that you broke poor groovies calendar? You monster

groovychainsaw
09-03-2012, 08:56 AM
OK, div 8 fixed, div 3 going. All divisions are checked and running, week 1 ends in 10 days. Get organising your first games!

Screwie
09-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks GC!

I also have 120k in the bank, but I'll hold off on spending anything until I get a look at Rakysh's necro team. I might drop the cash for a 4th TRR, or save it for replacement elves. I'm down to 11 men for my match against Rakysh, though...

Applied, looking forward to playing some teams that aren't 500 tv ahead of me :P

Okay wow, so I'm still giving you 400k in inducements! I dread to think what you'll buy with that amount :P

I think I will hold off on buying a witch elf for the time being... they can be a bit of an SPP hog too.

Squiz
09-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I hope I didn't come across as a sourpuss in my posts above. Thanks to both PresidentWeasel and Screwie for their helpfulness.

Rakysh
09-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Screwie, I look forward to it. I'mma find a star player with tackle, I think. That sounds like fun. I've added you on steam, so bus me a message whenever really.

President Weasel
09-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I hope I didn't come across as a sourpuss in my posts above. Thanks to both PresidentWeasel and Screwie for their helpfulness.

I for one am dreadfully offended and will probably never forgive you.
On the other hand, I'm pretty fickle :)

duff
09-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Ironically, goblins are far more likely to kill your star player than delves. I hate those green bastards.

President Weasel
09-03-2012, 06:00 PM
A point I did try to make - I even told groovy I'd not take any assassins and I'd refrain from fouling. Goblins get two trolls with MB, a chainsaw, and that ball and chain bastard. Sure, they also get a bunch of slow, weak, fragile goblins but with some luck in the dice rolls a goblin team can cut a bloody swathe right through anyone.

On the other hand, I was definitely planning to knock my opponents down repeatedly, and anyone can get injured if they're knocked down.

sendmark
09-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Well have to say I'm glad it's a new team in the mix, not an older one. Level playing field and all that.

DWZippy
09-03-2012, 07:14 PM
First match down:

Sports Gobbo
Codsbottom live up to their name in start of season "brawl"
By Ferrus Flannigan

Sulaco 0-2 Codsbottom Brawlers

This was truly a upsetting game for team Sulaco, who sustained 3 injuries in this match in addition to the two touchdowns, and Drake, the Sulaco's star Blitzer looked to be in severe pain from a knee injury as he left the pitch. Now, I'm not a betting man but I'd say that was the end of his career right there - Looks like he's far more likely to be injured again after something like that. The Brawlers didn't get away unscathed however, and 3 of them were injured. While I haven't spoken to them after the match, an inside source says that two will be missing the next match, and one looks like he's suffering from a wrenched knee - an injury that like Drake's, will never truly heal.

It was a much closer game then the scores may reveal however, and the ball changed hands many times, the first touchdown achieved because there was only 5 elves left on the pitch [Sports Gobbo would like to suggest the elf players take some lessons from the undead hordes in avoiding a knock out, squishy little fella's.- Ed] and a catastrophic dodge after the elves daring cage breaking tactic, left the ball out in the open at the half way line. The second touchdown was achieved in similar circumstances, with many elves complaining about the brutality of the ogre standing in midfield.

Sneaking backstage into the Sulaco dressing room, the atmosphere was light despite the loss, Elves were patting each other on the back, and congratulating each other on various passes and tackles - A few linesman were being reenacting the injury causing tackles from the game, and sheepishly admitted to me that they rarely caused an injury in their games, let alone 3. Suggestions that the third injury was actually caused by one of the humans poor footing were meet with stony silence, and I was soon politely ushered out of the room, but while there I saw Drake the blitzer, who had been given his marching orders following his injury.

How this will affect the season is unsure being this early in the game, but I don't think the Sulaco team will be the only people nervously watching the Skaven/Ogre match up this Sunday.

Groundskeepers have estimated the stadium will be out of action for 6-8 weeks while they deal with the flesh and blood littering the field from the last match.

X_kot
09-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Wow, 6 injuries in a human v helf match? This will be a gory bracket indeed...

DWZippy
09-03-2012, 07:36 PM
3 injuries by turn 4. We don't do things by halfs here in the number leagues! :D

Gorm
09-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Hopefully this doesnt effect my rats.

Graever
09-03-2012, 08:08 PM
First match down:

Sports Gobbo
Codsbottom live up to their name in start of season "brawl"
By Ferrus Flannigan

Sulaco 0-2 Codsbottom Brawlers

This was truly a upsetting game for team Sulaco, who sustained 3 injuries in this match in addition to the two touchdowns, and Drake, the Sulaco's star Blitzer looked to be in severe pain from a knee injury as he left the pitch. Now, I'm not a betting man but I'd say that was the end of his career right there - Looks like he's far more likely to be injured again after something like that. The Brawlers didn't get away unscathed however, and 3 of them were injured. While I haven't spoken to them after the match, an inside source says that two will be missing the next match, and one looks like he's suffering from a wrenched knee - an injury that like Drake's, will never truly heal.

It was a much closer game then the scores may reveal however, and the ball changed hands many times, the first touchdown achieved because there was only 5 elves left on the pitch [Sports Gobbo would like to suggest the elf players take some lessons from the undead hordes in avoiding a knock out, squishy little fella's.- Ed] and a catastrophic dodge after the elves daring cage breaking tactic, left the ball out in the open at the half way line. The second touchdown was achieved in similar circumstances, with many elves complaining about the brutality of the ogre standing in midfield.

Sneaking backstage into the Sulaco dressing room, the atmosphere was light despite the loss, Elves were patting each other on the back, and congratulating each other on various passes and tackles - A few linesman were being reenacting the injury causing tackles from the game, and sheepishly admitted to me that they rarely caused an injury in their games, let alone 3. Suggestions that the third injury was actually caused by one of the humans poor footing were meet with stony silence, and I was soon politely ushered out of the room, but while there I saw Drake the blitzer, who had been given his marching orders following his injury.

How this will affect the season is unsure being this early in the game, but I don't think the Sulaco team will be the only people nervously watching the Skaven/Ogre match up this Sunday.

Groundskeepers have estimated the stadium will be out of action for 6-8 weeks while they deal with the flesh and blood littering the field from the last match.

The Codsbottom Brawlers would like to thank Sulaco for showing a most commendable level of courage in facing the brawlers on the midfield and allowing us to give a proper showing for our first game. If nothing else the fans seem to have greatly enjoyed themselves judging not only by their wild cheering (and that unfortunate incident towards the end of first half) but also the considerable contributions to both the team coffers and our fine town of Codsbottom.

The players seem to be in good spirits despite Mr. Hamlyns unfortunate knee injury and their thoughts were best summed up by No.5 Vulgott Head-Splitter with the words "them were brave elfies, not run from Vulgott".

potatoedoughnut
10-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Hugh and I played our D1 Champs match.

End result was 7cas, 3KO inflicted by my Necros vs 3KOs inflicted by his Woodies. The boring part was 2-1 TDs to my Necros.

Turns out my guys have a taste for elf blood, and I think the 2 bribes + wizard induced helped (though one bribe was a dud, at least the wizard did something this game). Also 6 of the injuries occurred in the first half, which let me just cage and turtle while the clock ran down in the 2nd half. Hugh made a game of it though and got close to popping the ball out a couple times, and then almost scored a return TD in the last turn.

GG Mr Tower, best of luck vs your other opponents.

Final Note: The results & standings tab of the spreadsheet is locked, so I couldn't enter the result. Put away your bricks.

ntw
10-03-2012, 10:18 AM
3 injuries by turn 4. We don't do things by halfs here in the number leagues! :D

Erm, you're in the letter Divs :p

@ everyone, especially Hughtower, potatoedonut, Darkwingstalker & Graever - seems I got a bit carried away protecting the spreadsheet, sorry chaps. Fixed now and I've entered the results above for you, please put the bricks back GC! This is also a gentle reminder to everyone to enter your results in the Fixtures and Results tab of the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0VreXc&hl=en&authkey=CLqFqKgH&pli=1#gid=21) after the match.

Graever
10-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Unless i hallucinated the whole thing it should be Graever 2 - 0 Darkwingstalker so i switched them around on the spreadsheet

Jarvis
10-03-2012, 06:39 PM
I've played althron and still can't enter the results in the sheet.

ntw
11-03-2012, 12:14 PM
I've played althron and still can't enter the results in the sheet.

The results are in the sheet and the permissions are set so that anyone should be able to do it...did you sort it?

Gorm
11-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Just played against x_kot's ogres. I would say it was a pretty even game and the 1-1 draw reflects that.

X_kot
11-03-2012, 05:23 PM
The Knuckle Heads (Ogr, x_kot) / Cheese It!!! (Ska, Gorm)

Compared to the other Division G match this week, the contest between these two teams seemed downright civilized. The Ogres only sustained four injuries to snotlings (who have all been cleared to play pending some "gentle" surgery), while only two Skaven suffered wounds. Perhaps the worst of the night was poor Stormvermin Monteray Jack, who gave his team a scare after taking an ogre to the head. For a moment, it appeared the young rat may have expired on the field, but the team's apothecary helped revive the lad; Monteray is expected to only miss one game.

The ogres received first, and an out-of-bounds kick saw team captain Gurm Knee-capper move the ball up the field. A predictably slow formation advanced, with Skaven players falling back and sniping lone snotlings. Four rats would end up unconscious by the time The Knuckle Heads score right before the end of the first half; however, after the second-half kickoff, all four would return to play. (Officials will be testing the water to make sure no additional substances were added to the steroid-laced liquids).

On their first drive of the night, Cheese It!!! pushed hard on the right flank, providing an opening for the team's thrower to telegraph a pass to the remaining stormvermin, Port Salut. Salut ran nearly 50 yards to reach the endzone, but an errant rock on the field sent him tumbling just short. The out-of-position ogres did their best to cover the zone, but Salut's dextrous moves proved too much, and the Skaven team scored the equalizer with a quarter remaining.

The final run by the ogres proceeded much like the first; however, time was against them, and they could not press deep enough to score again. Not one but two snotlings took flight in the closing moments, but to no avail. It was a very close match, and both teams ran their playbooks well. Stormvermin Port Salut was named MVP of the night with 1 TD and 2 Cas.

DWZippy
11-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Interesting Division G there - Graever sits at the top of the division, with his 2-0 victory over my elves enough to give him the edge both in touchdowns [in case of any tiebreakers that extra TD is going to help him]. What does this mean, in terms of analysis? Well, it's still all to play for.

Graevers Human's go up against the Skaven menace next turn, and we'll see how this comes out. Another victory for Graever would cement his top spot in the championship, whereas a win for Gorm could see him take the top spot 4 points to 3. Similarly a win for X_kot next game could see all change at the top, with Graever being pushed to the bottom. Unfortunately, I'm in the weakest position moving into the second stage of the league, the best possible outcome would see me take X_Kots ogres and slipping into third place, alongside Graever's humans - while Gorm takes top place.

Not that I really know what I'm talking about, I'm no expert.

Gorm
11-03-2012, 05:37 PM
DW what you should have done was just win all your games. After playing for many seasons i've noticed that teams that win all their games do better than those who dont win all their games.

DWZippy
11-03-2012, 05:39 PM
That's definitely some insightful commentary. I'll adapt my tactics accordingly.

Heliocentric
11-03-2012, 06:15 PM
That's definitely some insightful commentary. I'll adapt my tactics accordingly.

Don't listen to a word, I lose most of my games but I keep murdering opponents. That's the ideal.

ChainsawHands
11-03-2012, 08:29 PM
When I won the championship it was on the back of no wins whatsoever, so I can't really endorse that strategy.

sendmark
11-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Well connection issues for me tonight, despite port forwarding as per spreadsheet. Bizarre considering Auld World challenges against a friend have had no problems. I'll have another go at fixing things but may have to drop out. I don't want to start mucking around too much with my router and ip just for Cyanide :p

Squiz
11-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Better wait before dropping out too hastily, sendmark. It may well be me who is having the problems. A bit surprising after having tested my connection in the Auld World as well. Further research is needed!

groovychainsaw
11-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Occasionally chaps, we have found that 2 players just refuse a connection. It mayyy be something to do with cyanide. I for example, couldn't play duff one season. But now i can (although I bought a new router in between). Occasionally some 'incompatibility' seems to prevent 2 players form playing. If you can play others, we'll just have to set it to a draw and continue. If you add me on steam, I'm happy to test start a game with either of you if you catch me...

El Cubo
11-03-2012, 09:22 PM
The match between Wayward Gladiators and Beauty and the Beast was a rather bloody affair. The opening move for Romulus was to open up one of the elven catchers. Freed from his earthly constraints the poor soul never recovered. Titus Pullo scored by turn 3, by which there were a few less elves on the pitch. Their numbers got down to as low as four, but only four of the injuries were more severe than being knocked out. Tempting Nuffle by having no re-rolls didn't help them either. Still, through some pointy-eared trickery, the elves managed to score twice. The Norse did everything by four: four touchdowns, four passes and four casualties.

President Weasel
11-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Indeed. Sometimes you just can't connect.
However, I'd suggest double checking - run ipconfig, make sure your PC has the IP address on your network you think it has (my new one is .4, for instance). Make sure you have a rule on your firewall to forward traffic on that port to your PC, and make sure you aren't running two firewalls - if you have a firewall on your router and you're also running windows firewall or another software firewall, you should be able to turn the software one off.

You'll probably find you can connect fine to your next opponent.

duff
11-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Yeh in the case of myself and GC: we had played in the past without problems and we could both connect to other players. We'd both turned off all firewalls and forwarded the ports etc. Then a few weeks later it worked first time. Bizarre.

smaug81
11-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Bodymore, Murderland (Undead, alh_p) 0 - 1 Irrelevant Illnesses (Nurgle, me)
Div. 7

A fairly uneventful match for the most part between alh and I. I chose to kick off to start the match, and the undead began to push down the right side of the field. Nearing the halfway point, they moved the ball carrier into a + formation on the line, which left a gap for my pestigor to attempt a 2d blitz. Unfortunately, this resulted only in a pushback. No matter, the two teams were still strung out along the line with little in the way of gaps to exploit. Alh managed to bash a bit of a hole in the right flank and attempted to squeeze the ball carrying ghoul through, but in the first real event of the match, the ghoul failed the dodge and brained himself on the pitch. His shattered skull left no doubt that there would be no recovery.

Attempting to capitalize on this turn of luck, I picked up the ball with a nearby rotter and proceeded to try and bash my way forward. Good use of wights and mummies from alh made this difficult, however, and with time ticking down, I made a desperate play for a TD. A rotter who had been standing around on the far side of the field most of the match made a break for the endzone, his movements in the second to last turn getting him just in double GFI range. Alh put pressure on my cage, exploiting the relatively safe 1d blocks of his wights to knock over and stun my pestigor and a warrior at the leading edge. This still left one warrior standing, and enough rotters free that I could blitz the zombie away from the rotter that was standing just to the north of the cage, bash a wight out of the way with the warrior, and move my ball carrying rotter up along the sideline to hand the ball off to the freed rotter. The rotter near the endzone had pushed on and safely made both GFIs to get into the zone. The new ball carrier then proceeded to belt towards the endzone, made two GFI's to make it a quick pass, fumbled the pass on the first attempt, but launched it perfectly with a reroll, aaaaaaaannnnnd. . . the rotter in the endzone dropped it. Thus, the nearly successful attempt at elfball came to nought, and the half drew to a close.

Receiving in the second half, forward progress beyond the line of scrimmage was again difficult. My Nurgles racked up a couple of casualties, though both were regenerated. Attempting to push down the left side of the field, my ball carrying pestigor failed to blitz his way through a troublesome wight, rolling both down and something equally useless. The ball bounced favorably, however, and a turnover in alh's next turn allowed me to recover the ball and tie up or knock over most of his team. This finally gave my pestigor the space he needed to push toward the endzone. Alh attempted a final blitz towards the ball carrier with a nearby wight, but the wight failed to dodge away from his marker, leaving my pestigor with an easy single GFI run into the endzone on my final turn.

Though alh was somewhat disgusted with his team's performance, it seemed a good match to me none the less (but I would say that, I won :P). It was by no means an easy win, though the dice did favor me in a few key areas. For one, I managed to score enough casualties and KOs to have a bit of a numbers advantage, and mercifully suffered none myself, in spite of my policy of feeding rotters to the mummies all match long to keep them distracted. On the other hand, alh was remarkably successful with his 1d blocks and made the most of his wight's blocking advantage in taking on my stronger players. The match could easily have gone differently, and but for a key turnover would likely have been a draw. Well played, alh_p.

Screwie
12-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Tea and Discobiscuits (Wood Elf, 2lab) vs Little Green Heroes (Goblins, me)

2lab and I had our match last night and it was a lot of fun. He badly hurt my chainsaw and I knocked out his wardancer in return, the bombs didn't stop me running home a couple of touchdowns by outmanoeuvring the elves and the treeman had a terrible throwing day and even ate a lineman!

2-0

(I may have gotten that the wrong way round.)

Alistair Hutton
12-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Altdorf Army 2 - 1 Queens of the Neighborhood

Could Wolfenswan's plucky can do attitude overcome the TV gap?

No. Especially not when Zara was sent to the injury box in the second turn of the game. The Amazons took a lead mid way through the first half with a solid punch down the left hand flank. the army tried a similarly based counter attack, the ball went loose but was tidied up and all it would take was a pass to a Blitzer for an unopposed run in. An amazonian catcher made the interception.

Into the second half and a failure to disable Hail Mary Pass put the humans under pressure, but the ball was recovered for a fairly regulation score. then the amazon's tried to push down the left flank again only for Torg'n'Thorg to use his Break Tackle to burst into the cage ad smash the ball carrier freeing sending the ball into the crowd and up field where it was scooped up and run in for the TD. A decent attempt at a game tying touch down ended when the ballcarrier was crowd surfed and the ball pinged around the park until it was eventually deep in the Amazon half. An improbably elffy touchdown attempt was attempted but came to naught as the pass was flubbed.

The army walk of the pitch 2 - 1 winners with a workmanlike unspectacular performance.

Heliocentric
12-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Hamachi might help?

groovychainsaw
12-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Me and Jolima played yesterday morning, my Humans vs. Jolima's 3-times championship winning Vampires. Naturally I felt a bit concerned. I decided this season to give up the 4th reroll I'd been hanging on to to slim down my TV a little, which gave me enough TV difference to grab Zara and enter the game.

I won the toss, and opted to receive. We both gained an additional reroll on kickoff. The ball goes short to my right, I cage up and bash Jolima's thrall on the line. My catchers run into the backfield. Finally my thrower runs in and fluffs the pickup. Not a good start. Jolima marks up my catchers with thralls and then begins to attack my cage, seeing the ball is free. The ball, thankfully is between 3 players, but Jolima comes in with the Vamps, one hypnotic gaze fails, but his star ag5 vamp still darts in, blood lusted, picks the ball up and stuns a nearby thrall. Another hypnotic gaze also fails. Not the best position to be left in. Zara, standing next to the new ball carrier, decides to stab him. Which works very nicely, taking him out for a 2 turn stun (you gotta love her 'stakes' bonus :-D). The ball scatters back into my cage, away from the vamps. I dodge one of my catchers away deep into Jolima's half then go for the pickup with my thrower. Who makes it this time (he does have sure hands, after all...) I could try a pass-and-catch, but decide to try a more bashy strategy now that the vamps are committed to my cage. So i get a couple of blocks away and dodge my other catcher free.

This time, Jolima succeeds in hypnotising 2 players and blitzing into bullseye (my thrower). One dodge and one goforit later, he scores the 1 dice block, spilling the ball into the waiting hands of General Zod, my str4 blitzer :-). Another hypnotic gaze is scored and I am down 3 players, with one vampire on the ball carrier. Galactus (Ogre) runs in to help use his guard against some of the vamps. Zara blocks one thrall down, then general Zod blitzes out past the Vampire, knocking him down and running clear into Jolima's half. He makes 2 goforits and I'm fairly happy there, with a little cover from another blitzer and a catcher, and all Jolima's players tied up.

Or so I thought. Not having played against hypnotic gaze much before, I forget it lasts until I do something with my players. So the 2 still under the effects are not really doing any marking at all. Oh. The vampire who i thought was marked runs upfield and hypnotises my guard blitzer. Now Zod is exposed. A nearby thrall goes for the dodge to make the hit... which fails, stunning himself in the process. An opportunity to grind out the half has arisen... Zara keeps stabbing thralls, stunning another. Bane blitzes the vampire left on my ball carrier, and takes him down, also with a 2 turn stun. Galactus bashes a vamp (just a push) and the rest readjust the field, Zod running for the corner whilst everyone else tries to cover off any angles of attack. There's only one thrall anywhere near Zod now. A couple of blood lusts break up Jolima's counter attack, badly hurting the first thrall. I blitz the only vampire who's got himself into range and manage a badly hurt on him. My cage holds, Jolima goes back on the attack, but an early failed dodge cuts the counter short. I get a couple of hits in and consolidate the cage. Jolima then finally dodges his vampires away and starts to threaten the corner. Its turn 7 and time to score. Zara stabs a thrall (dead! - apothecaried back to MNG) and Zod runs it in. Jolima has 2 turns to get one back...

I kick off, it's a nice kick, but high kick means jolima gets an easy catch for his ag5 vampire. A kncokdown in my line and a pass and catch to move the ball gets a vamp to within 8 squares of the line. Luckily, my mobility comes in handy. Zara stabs the thrall she's marked by (KO!) and everyone else tries to at least make the dodge to score difficult. I set up a column on the wing, and another 2 squares in. It's fairly secure. I blitz but only get a trip and the vamp (using dodge) side-steps towards the line.... I end my turn with some double skulls. Jolima, turn 8, goes for the blitz to get out of there, injuring the red skull (apo'd to get back on the pitch in the second half - risky!). He still has to make 2 dodges through a tackle zone... makes the first but rolls 2 2's for the second, failing the dodge to end the half. Phew.

Second half, kicking back off to Jolima, I'm thinking it might be hard to hold them off, given how quickly he almost scored the first time around. He sets up with a strong line this time, and again receives a helpful high kick :-). He bashes my line successfully, blitzes a hole, then looks to cage up in the middle. Unfortunately, after all the bashing, one side of the cage will be open. Worried about my tackle blitzer, he cages up left, just leaving enough room for Zara. Who promptly dodges past a thrall, goes for it and gets the pow, knocking down the vamp and sending the ball into the hands of a waiting thrall. All my other players stand up and pressure the ball carrier. The vamps strike back, trying to free up the thrall, scoring a push on zara and another push and a knockdown in the middle of the pitch. His line is pretty tied up still. He then goes for a handoff to a free vamp, scoring a 1, fumbling the ball to the floor.

A succession of blocks from me sees 2 thralls go down for 2 turns, and three players skip away to mark up the newly freed ball. The free vampire blitzes back ot my group of 3, hitting Bizzaro and smashing his collar bone(!). My cursed 4th blitzer continues to be cursed, he's the 3rd one I've had and none of them have ever hit lvl2. Neither will Bizzaro, as the collar bone injury sees him taking early retirement. Fortunately, the 2 remaining tackle zones are enough to cause the pickup to fail (from an AG5 vampire!), even with a reroll. The ball is fairly safe, although could do with some support. I bash the midfield, badly hurting a thrall, pushing the three other vampires around, including one sidestepping onto the ball...which skips about, but noone succeeds to pick it up. I try top make the pick with my catcher, but to no avail, turnover. The vampires dodge into contact with the ball, and one hits my catcher. An unfortunate push skull gets rerolled to push skull and professor zoom sidesteps onto the ball. Which spills into the hands of the red skull, one of my expert blitzers. Who promptly gets knocked down by another vampire. And the ball falls into the hands of the original attacking vampire. A hypnotic gaze takes the pressure off, but the vampire is stuck there. The turns ends with a skull result for a thrall.

I've got some pressure on the ball, I just need to free up more players. I bash the midfield again, stunning one thrall and KO'ing another. And then another KO. I then dodge a blitzer away to help add guard to the vampire players. Which fails, Turnover again :-). But at least Jolima is running out of players... He goes for a dodge with a vamp, and uses a reroll on the blood lust (the lack of thralls is telling!). The next vamp fails blood lust as well, making for a difficult dodge away to get next to a thrall. The third vamp to move fails his dodge. Turnover, with an exposed ball carrier. Some more blocks go in to the thralls, another goes down badly hurt. Zara stabs a vampire to get a 2 turn stun. General Zod blitzes the ball carrier and scores a badly hurt (which regenerates). I try to make the pickup, and burn my last roll to have Zod pick up the ball and run off downfield. I then get a both down on a block, ending my turn, but I'm well clear and Jolima is out of players. The ifnal 2 turns see Jolima trying to get a vampire back to take me out, which are scuppered by a failed goforit. Zod runs in his 2nd touchdown on turn 16 to end the game, 2-0.

So, that went a lot better than i expected. My humans were their usual bashy selves, ably assisted by Zara, whose Stab + Stakes combo took out about 4 players during the game. By the end i think jolima had 6 injuries in the box. His KOs had an annoying habit of returning throughout the game, otherwise he'd have been desperately short. The dice were almost exactly average over the whole game for both of us, but they definitely seemed crueller to Jolima when it mattered, whereas most of my failures came when it didn't matter quite so much. I definitely threw a lot of blocks though, getting really stuck in to those thralls, which paid dividends. I didn't grab as many SPPs as I'd have liked, as Zara picked up a few of the injuries, but Zod is develpoing nicely for his 5th level after those 2 touchdowns. Jarvis' Chaos up next, may have to rethink my tactics for that one....

Skydancer
12-03-2012, 12:45 PM
The Tuftybushe Fruitcakes (Kapouille, Hal) 1-1 Barebone Bareboners (Skydancer, Khe)

Nice eventful match (as usual with halflings), where khemri were outbashed by the treemen big time in the first drive, both of them evading rooting the whole time and letting the halflings score in the last turn because of simple lack of players on the khemri side. The second half saw the treemen finally rooting down to their initial spot on the LOS, with an abundance of tender halfling meat around them which, during the drive, were smashed to bits by a couple mummies and some skellies limping around the now useless treemen of the apocalypse, in a conveyor belt of 3 dice block fashion. Meanwhile the sides got overrun by the rest of the khemri team, a treeman tried to throw a ball carrying halfling which landed by my throra safety falling the AG roll and getting stunned. Promptly the throra grabbed the ball and ran up the right side; due to the mispositioning of a mummy and the throra being next to the sideline, a lucky ass halfling managed to triple dodge out of my 4 player screen and 2 dice against pushed the throra out of the match. Ball landed up the pitch right next to a blitzra that was ready to get a possible handoff, which scored, thus ending the bloodbath.
A couple major injuries (a -ST on a 5 spp skellie.. argh, and a -AR on a halfling), a MNG and little more, ended the match with no side losing bad to the other.

President Weasel
12-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Drawing a match with halflings is equivalent to victory with any other side.
On the other hand, actually picking up a ball and getting over the line with Khemri is an equally impressive feat, so congratulations to you both!

Skydancer
12-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Drawing a match with halflings is equivalent to victory with any other side.
On the other hand, actually picking up a ball and getting over the line with Khemri is an equally impressive feat, so congratulations to you both!

I forgot to mention I failed to pick up the ball two times out of four.

President Weasel
12-03-2012, 01:33 PM

It's the two times you actually picked the ball up that are a surprise.

Heliocentric
12-03-2012, 01:39 PM

As the Halflings next opponents I'm sad the treeman was not hospitalised, but I'm prepared solve that problem myself.

Won't be playing the elves until Thursday mind.

Skydancer
12-03-2012, 01:48 PM
You need artillery to down a treeman! Or luck.

El Cubo
12-03-2012, 01:51 PM
You need artillery to down a treeman! Or luck.

Or five linemen.

Skydancer
12-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Pretty hard to get a five man foul on a player that seldom leaves the center of the pitch, the area is usually quite crowded.

Heliocentric
12-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Was 8 man fouling my last match. ^_^

Ogres, why won't you die?

El Cubo
12-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Pretty hard to get a five man foul on a player that seldom leaves the center of the pitch, the area is usually quite crowded.

That's why you concentrate on taking care of the squishy bits first.

ChainsawHands
12-03-2012, 04:34 PM
That's why you concentrate on taking care of the squishy bits first.And in the game!

Squiz
12-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the advice and the suggestions guys, we'll give this another try during the week. I've already set up my PC with a static IP and took a dive into my router settings. Hopefully, we can get this straight and play our game.

Jiiiiim
12-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Monopole Magnates (lizards, Jim) vs Elf Harm (elves, 'hands)

The downside of having a bunch of steroid-enhanced ridiculous statfreak elves is that your team value is higher than it needs to be. Add in a skink missing the game and I had a handy 190k to spend in inducements which went on a wizard. Winning the toss, I chose to receive as, well, you always want to get the first punches in, with elves.

The kickoff saw a quick offence and I was able to shuffle my guys around a bit, with the ball landing neatly in a saurus' claws. I'd like to say that was the most amazing saurus ball handling of the game but, well, you'll see. I created a simply gigantic cage around this saurus, all of the team incorporated in its majestic sweeping walls. 'Hands gave me a taste of how insecure even this megabunker was with a swift leaping blitz right into the centre. He rolled a skull, though, and got a niggle for his injures. Hands ummed and ahhed for a bit before deciding to use the apo which patched him up.

We continued like this for a few turns, me making very slow advances but winning the punch war, and Hands failing something audacious in an attempt to get it back. When his armour started cracking on Turn 4 it was a case of the formalities to get the saurus over to the touchline and guard him. Hands took his anger out on the skinks, BH-ing the wrestler Top Hat, and fouling another into the injury box. In revenge, I MNG-d the fouler and that was the end of foul wars. Add in another two casualties and a couple of KOs and I was doing alright for myself as Scottie Dog the saurus strolled in a touchdown. 1-0 at half-time and we were 10 v 9 at the start of the second.

In the second half, Hands did the standard elf thing of sending his thrower deep in his half and having everyone else flood forwards. Obviously the idea is that you wait until someone's free, send an incredibly good pass, and score quickly. I had been anticipating this, though, and brought out the wizard. Though it didn't injure his deep thrower, it did stun him, and left the ball completely uncovered right near his touchline. Sauruses blocked off escape routes and three skinks hurtled towards the loose ball. Gutterskink, the skink with the attributes of a gutter runner, managed to get it on the next turn and we marched in a quick second on Turn 10. 2-0!

Sweltering Heat now kicks in and knocks out two lizards to no elves, evening the numbers a little bit which were now I think 8 v 9. I didn't see that I could stop an elf offensive with those sort of numbers, but I guess you want to stall them as long as possible so they don't have a chance to equalise too. A few risky-ish GFIs were needed to keep position (and cost me some rerolls), and I foolishly got another skink sent off trying to foul that ridiculous supercatcher of his (+MA, +MA, +AG, +ST). Eventually they broke through, running in a simple-ish touchdown on Turn 13. 2-1!

The second round of sweltering heat was more equitable, fortunately, one elf and one lizard down so we lined up with 8 v 8. A blitz would change the whole complexion but I got lucky with my armour rolls, knocking out two in the first turn and another the turn after that. Once again all lizards were drafted as components of the cage that would motor up the field. On T15 I sent my sure hands skink into the open to get in range of the line, and he was promptly injured (apothecaried) by Hands' pissed-off blitzer. He couldn't win now, so I decided to do the only thing that could work.

This means: move the skink around to pick up the ball, GFI-ing in the process, and throw it to a saurus who has GFI'd onto the line. The first GFI failed which seemed to doom the move, but the rest worked like a charm. I'd passed to a saurus. He'd caught it. 3-1 full time!

desvergeh
13-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Division 4 - The Rakish Rodents vs Bishi Bashi Speshal

An interesting and toughly contested game.

I had played the Rodents last season, and knew how vicious their star rat ogre was, after he left two of my players dead. I hence used the inducement bonus to load up on 2 extra apothecaries, Bloodweiser Babes, a wizard, a team re-roll, and a bribe. Would it be enough?

The rodents received the first kick-off, gave the ball to their star thrower (after it bounced out of bounds), and swiftly moved two gutter rats deep into the orcs side. This match I was ready for them though, and I moved my two tackle orcs in, one top cover a gutter rat. The other delivered a vicious blitz resulting in a dead rat, the apothecary was called, but no amount of sticky tape could re-attach that head.

Despite this the Rats outmanouevered the orcs, giving them a turn 4 touchdown, at the small cost of two KOs and one death.

So the ball was kicked off into the orcs midst. The ball was retrieved, caged, and slowly rumbled forward. However there was insufficient momentum for progress much beyond the midway line to be made, and the first half ended with the Rodents 1 up on the orc team.

The second half began with the orcs receiving the ball again. This was safely caged and moved up the pitch. Little progress was made with the cage, with the rats looking to poke holes anywhere possible in the orc lines. The ball handler was successfully tied up by the rat ogre, and a short pass attempted by the orcs to a blitzer. This is where things started to look shaky for the orc team, their ball handling skills not even being up to this easy pass.

However, despite the orcs failing to understand the concept of catching a ball, they had certainly not forgotten how to hit. Two more injuries were racked up on the Rodents, a MNG and concussion. This combined with a couple of knockouts, and the rat ogre failing a dodge (and then wild animal rolls) left the rats with little to defend with. Was this the opportunity the orcs needed? It looked shaky at first, with another failed attempt to pick up the ball. However on the next turn the ball was finally retrieved, passed to a blitzer, and the orcs made a break for it with a half cage on the sidelines.

By this point there was little left to stop the orcs. A thrower and lineman made a half-hearted attempt to intercept, but most of the rat team decided to stay down, rather than take more beatings from the superior orc numbers. Nonetheless enough was deployed to slow the orc advance, leaving them to run the touchdown in on their last turn, using two GFIs.

Final score 1 -1.

ChainsawHands
13-03-2012, 11:40 AM
In more positive news, my MA10 AG5 ST4 monster catcher levelled up... and rolled a double. Not a double 6 though, so I just gave him block.

duff
13-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Oh God, a Str5, Agi5, MA10 monster.. can you imagine it, you'd just be able to walk in a touchdown.

groovychainsaw
13-03-2012, 11:48 AM
So let me get this straight, he's 10,4,5,7, catch, NoS, block? I guess at least he doesn't have dodge. How has noone killed him to death yet with your light armour? ;-)

ChainsawHands
13-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Only 100SPP to go for dodge, or possibly another +ST! ;-)

Yeah, I have no idea why he's not dead. Unless it's because people have been concentrating on trying to knock down my ST4 catch NoS block dodge leap frenzy catcher, of course...

potatoedoughnut
13-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Dear HughTower,

Please kill many elves before I have to play CH.

Thanks,
pd

Jiiiiim
13-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I did niggle that ridiculous blitzer (apo'd), knocked him out, and knocked out the uber-catcher twice. Though I didn't inflict serious harm, it wasn't for want of trying.

I'm still buzzing off having a T16 pass to a saurus work.

ChainsawHands
13-03-2012, 04:05 PM
That blitzer's a catcher; my blitzers aren't nearly so ridiculous.

Squiz
13-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Hey guys, send_mark and me gave this another try and still couldn't get our match to work. We both have opened our ports, static IPs and tried switching our firewalls off, to no avail. If anyone has another idea how to deal with the situation, please let us know.

President Weasel
13-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Something similar happened to me in the Open recently too (in my case it was impossible to play our match due to dropped connections, no matter how many times we tried, on two successive nights). Neither of us had had anything like that happen to us before. Set the score to 0-0, and only worry about it if the same thing happens in your next game.

Squiz
13-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Sigh, will do. I thought some extra testing might do the trick, but apparently there is little sense in that. I'll talk to send_mark.

Vexing Vision
13-03-2012, 09:09 PM
That's me with iNinja - ages ago, it worked. Since then, it refuses to....

Vexing Vision
13-03-2012, 09:42 PM
In an attempt to gain as many social media cookies as possible, www.twitter.com/phillcameron and www.twitter.com/vexingvision will be live-tweeting the opening match in Division A between Phill's Prefistoric Lizards and my Sirens, starting in a few minutes, Cyanide willing.

(This IS how social media cookies are earned, right?)

President Weasel
13-03-2012, 09:59 PM
I do not know how social media cookies are earned, but I find your attempt to e-bake some intriguing; when is this historic match-up taking place?

Also, 1-1 between me and Duffin in Division 2.
I chaosed, he elfed, things went much as you'd expect. There was one moment in the match that made even the chaos supporters a little sad (gleeful, yet sad: it's an odd feeling) when Brucey, ag5 star and namesake of Duffin's team, broke his neck and became the ag4 former star and namesake of Duffin's team.
Let me tell you how this worked out:
I shoved one of his elfs to the sideline ready to surf him next turn. I then protected my own player from witch elf witchery by placing two other players as guards, positioned so Duff couldn't run a man round and onto the sideline. No backstop on the line, and an elf directly between me and the sideline, means Duff can't surf me. Right? Right.
Unless Duffin continues his long string of infuriating dodges.
The elf dodges out of the way. The witch elf charges in and gets a one dice block on my man, preparing to shunt him into oblivion. Except it comes up skull. And then the reroll comes up skull as well. I think the witch elf may have managed to stun or KO herself here too.
I then set up an elaborate shunt, screw it up by not noticing one of Duff's elfs has guard (Guard elfs? Mighty blow elfs? A +str elf? They're freaks), realise the only way it now works is if I dodge an AG3 man past Duff's elf and then make a single dice block, and decide to do it anyway because Nuffle is clearly screwing with Duff this turn.
I roll the dice and get an unlikely success, POWing him clear off the pitch and breaking his neck. Duff's apoc has apparently only read as far as the "Kill" part of "kill or cure", because -1 AG or dead are Duff's choices, leaving him with a +1 agi -1 agi elf as his team captain.

Later my chaos mans did a successful pass! For a touchdown! And didn't drop the ball or try to have sex with it or eat it!

In the second half Duff elfed an elfqualizer (I had three markers on ag5 Nick Hewer, and it was not nearly enough) and then almost elfed a winner when he got a blitz on his kickoff.
I ended up sending almost my entire team back to get a three dice block on his runner (the two dice one I tried previously had bounced off his impenetrable blodge) and then just to be sure I fouled him into the KO box.
I couldn't get them back past Duff's elfs and into a scoring postion, so it ended 1-1.

Good game, Good game (to quote a certain octogenarian showbiz figure).

duff
13-03-2012, 10:08 PM
No, that never happened. Brucey was agi 4 all along. Okay? OKAY!?

But yeh, that was a pivotal turn. I went from comfortably stalling your cage and about to send a beast surfing, to my witch elf knocking herself out and Brucey getting his neck broken. Fecking skulls. Well played though, a fair result, and you did make the crowd surf tricky for me so I guess it was as much down to your clever positioning as the two skulls.

Vexing Vision
13-03-2012, 11:40 PM
A frustrating nail-biter of a game. Well, obviously frustrating for Phill, who really got Nuffled on GFIs. Also, dodges were bloody dangerous, costing me an Amazon and several skinks.

Vex:About to engage in a most epic Bloodbowl match versus @phillcameron's Lizards. Tempted to live-tweet, which would probably cost me the game.

Phill:In fifteen minutes I shall be providing intermittent commentary on my RPS Divisions of Death Blood Bowl game. You have been warned.

Phill:Some context: This is Division A, first match of the season. I am Lizardmen. My opponent, @Vexingvision, is Amazons. Who are dodgy.

Vex:The Seaside Sirens scan Prefistoric's roster carefully. Blood is in the air, and soon there will be blood on the field- but of which colour?

Phill:Lizardmen, on the other hand, are a mix of strong and agile, with Saurus, big, bashy dinosaurs, and skinks: slippery, fragile lizards.

Phill:Which usually means my skinks get beaten up and my saurus get run around. That's not how it's supposed to be.

Vex:The Sirens have been known to outbash stronger opponents. Many Chaos team has limped away from them, bloodied. But will they tonight?

Vex:One of the Sirens' core defenders, Antianara Spearsister, is still injured from last season's massacre against their old Norse nemesis.

Phill:Right, let's get this show on the road. Wish me luck.

Vex:The obvious strategy is, then, to go into full offense. Their coach is decisively skeptical about his girls' confidence before Kick-Off.

Phill:Oh balls. He's got over 200k in inducements. This could get messy quickly.

Phill:And he's bought a wizard and bribes with them. That speaks of a singular mind. The kind of singular mind that doesn't mix well with skinks.

Vex:Being the underdogs regarding Teamvalue, the Sirens decide to bribe the referee and hire a wizard hidden in the crowds for a nasty surprise.

Phill:Kicking off. I didn't want to kick off. Humbug. Going to go with the classic 'hide the skinks behind the saurus' defence setup.

Vex:Heads or Tails? The Sirens go for Heads, and decide to receive first in a blatant attempt to take out as many of the Lizards as possible.

Phill:Clearly cheating, he has two players with +1 strength. Someone should show him how to play Gentleman's Blood Bowl.

Vex:The Sirens set up for a wide sweeping attack across the front.

Phill:Skink attempts to send the ball into the centre of the field with his foot. Ball ends up on the opposition touchdown line on the right. Nice

Vex:The kick goes deep into the Amazons' territory, and Sanse Silversnake picks it off. The Sirens are preparing a presence on both flanks.

Phill:The prevalence of dodge and block on the Amazon team is making my grumble into my tea.

Phill:Elfskink fails a dodge and stuns himself. Idiot.

Phill:And that's my first casualty. Saurus badly hurt. Unbelievable.

Vex:And the first Saurus is down after the Amazons position themselves lightly around the field and a short pass later.

Phill:Nuffle has decided to be unkind to me. That's ok I didn't like you to begin with you fickle bastard.

Phill:Anyway, got a Kroxigor on the ball carrier, and a bunch of sauruses around it. Hopefully it isn't going anywhere.

Phill:Apparently Nuffle doesn't like being called Unkind. Amazon just killed themselves on a dodge. Hurrah!

Phill:Also, the ball carrier went somewhere, the bastard.

Vex:An incredibly offensive play of the Sirens is brought to a disastrous stop as Aine, a linebacker, breaks her own neck attempting a dodge...

Vex:Shocked by the apothecaries rather useless attempt at reviving her, a Saurus manages to knock the ball free near the sideline.

Phill:Ok, so apparently dodging is a dangerous thing. Skink just broke their neck doing it. Grr. (Luckily I have more. I buy them in multipacks.)

Phill:Erk. Another just got injured. This is getting really messy really fast. I don't like messy and I especially don't like fast.

Vex:A skink injures himself badly by attempting to dodge away from a tackling Amazon Blitzer. Yes, both green and red blood flow freely tonight.

Phill:Got the ball with a daring up off the floor grab by a skink. The woods are certainly still all around, though. No end in sight.

Phill:Lost the ball. That was fun while it lasted.

Vex:Clearly shaken by the Amazons' unrelenting battering and ruthlessness, the Lizards throw up a hasty half-hearted cage around the ball.

Phill:Got the ball back. Got the ball far into his half. Hah, looking strong right now. Let's see if we can't TD this mother.

Vex:A skink breaks free, manages to grab the ball and pass it off! But the Sirens still have a wizard and are unwilling to concede a touchdown.

Phill:He tries to lightning bolt my skink. He forgets skinks are made of rubber are actually excellent conductors.

Phill:A dodge and a pickup away from scoring now.

Vex:The wizard's spell fizzles uselessly... but Anaea does not. Still, just knocking the skink down did not stop him from jumping up again....

Phill:TD! You may celebrate in the stands now.

Vex:.. and scoring a 1 to 0 for the Prefistoric Lizards in turn 7.

Phill:You'd think 'Sweltering Heat' would be a boon for a lizardman team, what with their cold blood. But no, Kroxigor faints. Silly Kroxigor.

Vex:The sweltering heat takes a heavy toll - two Amazons and the Kroxigor are knocked out by the heat, as if their own blows would not suffice!

Vex:With only two turns left to equalize, the Sirens move two Catchers deep into the Lizards territory, who are quickly surrounded.

Phill:All his catchers marked, and the ball out of his hands. Hopefully we can prevent a two turn come back.

Phill:Pickup failed. That's a net victory for this half.

Vex:The Sirens set up for a desperate play... which fails when their thrower, out of rerolls, manages to mess up picking up the ball.

Vex:With none of the lizards being close enough for a counter, the half ends after a bit of half-hearted bashing 1-0 for the Prefistoric.

Vex:Again, the unrelentless sweltering heat incapacitates the Lizards' Kroxigor, much to the slightly battered Amazon's relief.
Note: I mislooked - it was actually the level 4 Saurus with a Kroxigor's skills that was out.

Phill:@VexingVision Except it didn't. It got my level 4 Saurus.

Vex:And the half opens bloody, with an enraged fan hurling a rock at one of the linegirls!

Phill:Krox boneheads. Cage half formed. Danger Will Robinson!

Vex:The Lizards try to cage up deep in the Amazon's half, but a failed dodge and lonered Krox means the cage is wide open.

Phill:2+ failed dodge into stunned. Curse you Nuffle!

Phill:Lots of crappy blocks and that failed doge mean the ball is in the open in their half.

Vex:The ball is freed and secured by the Amazons- who in turn get a beating by the Saurii and the Kroxigor. A mighty scuffle ensues.

Vex:And Toxi, the powerful linewoman, grabs the ball and runs it off safely away from the big Saurii... with only some skinks to stop her.

Phill:Apparently that TD in the first half was my one bit of luck this game. Nuffle is screwing me left and right with failed dodges and GFIs.

Vex:However, in an attempt to get close, one of the skinks manages to evade a tackling Amazon... only to knock himself out by stumbling.

Phill:And there we have our first foul of the match. Those cheating bastarding amazons injure another skink.

Vex:Unopposed, the Amazons single out a skink and foul him while the crowd is watching Toxi approaching the touchdown line.

Phill:ANOTHER failed GFI? Surely you jest.

Phill:And another.
Vex:Toxi can score, but that would leave them with only two turns to win the game... but since most of the skinks are down, the Sirens risk it.

Phill:They've scored, equalising the game. Now I have to do a Two Turn TD. Which is tenable, with my agi 4 skinks...

Vex:The Sirens prepare to kick off the last two turns of the match. They set up aggressively close to the center, and the Lizards counter.

Vex:The kick goes slightly too far! The ref gives it to the hands of a skink, just in time of the weather finally clearing up.

Vex:The lizards appear to be happy to go for a draw - they protect the ball and huddle around it, too far away to score a win.

Phill:I forget that I only have two turns and put my skink too far away from the TD line to score. I am today's Biggest Idiot.

Vex:The Sirens attempt a last push at the ball, getting close...

Phill:There's only one play left for them, and it's going to have to be ludicrously lucky. Although given how this game has been going...

Vex:And turn 16 sees success! Xanthia Skinkslayer slays the ball-carrying Skink, knocking the ball free...

Phill:No! He just killed an AGI 4 skink! Fuck this fucking game.

Vex:And the Sirens' catcher manages to pick up the ball from under the guarding Saurus' reptile nose, makes a hand-off and scores the 2-1!

Phill:Anger is too much to live blog any more. Signing off.

Vex:2 to 1 in turn 16 for the Seaside Sirens over @phillcameron's Prefistoric in a bloody, gruesome nailbiter that saw painful injuries for all.

Dentharial
14-03-2012, 10:06 AM
The liveblogging is awesome! You can really feel the ebb and flow of the match.

May have to try it myself, but I'll likely struggle with my love of using a million words where one will do.

Screwie
14-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeah that's really nice!

I'm generally too absorbed in my match to blog about it at the same time.

President Weasel
14-03-2012, 10:48 AM
No, that never happened. Brucey was agi 4 all along. Okay? OKAY!?

But yeh, that was a pivotal turn. I went from comfortably stalling your cage and about to send a beast surfing, to my witch elf knocking herself out and Brucey getting his neck broken. Fecking skulls. Well played though, a fair result, and you did make the crowd surf tricky for me so I guess it was as much down to your clever positioning as the two skulls.

Nah, it was the skulls.
That turn was an emotional rollercoaster for me - I was constantly aware of the risk from your witch elf, so I didn't even move that guy into position until I was sure I had those wingmen ready to guard his flanks and stop you doing the backstop thing. It didn't even occur to me that you could simply dodge that elf out of the way and blitz him straight off the pitch - it was a total blind spot. My heart was in my boots when I saw you do it and I had the sudden sickening realisation that I'd missed something incredibly obvious and was about to get punished for it - then the skulls turned up to save me from my stupidity and suddenly I was gleefully happy.

Vexing Vision
14-03-2012, 11:12 AM
The liveblogging is awesome! You can really feel the ebb and flow of the match.

May have to try it myself, but I'll likely struggle with my love of using a million words where one will do.

Twitter really helps with that. 140 Characters Or Bust...

(It didn't help that I'm still currently bound to a silly little laptop where I can barely have two windows open side by side.)

Just for the record, this line still has me laughing.

Vex:The lizards appear to be happy to go for a draw - they protect the ball and huddle around it, too far away to score a win.

Phill:I forget that I only have two turns and put my skink too far away from the TD line to score. I am today's Biggest Idiot.

Sorry again Phill, and thanks for being a much much better sportsman than that live-tweeting suggested. :)

Also, if someone could validate the match, I need to go shopping for new Amazons too...

DWZippy
14-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Just out of interest, when does the season roll into week 2? roughly that is.

groovychainsaw
14-03-2012, 04:19 PM
It's on the spreadsheet! (Top of the fixtures and results section) ;-). Week 1 is due to end on the 19th. 5 days left for everyone to get their games in. As usual, if you need your division moving on earlier/later due to delays, let me know and I'll try to be flexible, but generally we like to keep them in sync.

El Cubo
14-03-2012, 08:12 PM
As usual, if you need your division moving on earlier/later due to delays, let me know and I'll try to be flexible, but generally we like to keep them in sync.

alh_p and I (in div. 7) are going to play our match earlier than scheduled, because he's going to be away for awhile.

boots468
14-03-2012, 08:21 PM
My Lizardmen Vs Mrpier's Skaven was an bit of an unspectacular game - a slow violent drive by me in the first half saw a 1-0 half time lead, and more rats injured than skinks. The 2nd half skaven offence was brought to a halt by a skink rolling a pow on a 2d block on a blodger, and in the general melee that followed the lizards' higher strength and armour saw them through and got the ball away. A number of failed handoffs to a rookie saurus gave the rats a lifeline, but the headcount was getting worse and worse for them and even when the ball was loose, it normally bounced into the arms of a skink. Eventually the saurus caught the ball, and ran it in to finish the game 2-0 at the end. (4-2 in injuries, but none of them permanent).

Thanks for the game mrpier - things would have been very different if i hadn't injured the horned wrestle gutter runner early on - I wasn't sure how I was going to hide skinks from him!

mrpier
14-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah, it was a bit boring to be honest :). Losing three players in the first three rounds didn't let me do much harassing, my rats mostly spending time on the ground or being covered by a saurus. Mostly average dice all around, with a bit of luck for boots on the armour rolls and the ball bouncing. I was a bit surprised you risked those handoff attempts to be honest. Very well played though.

I got one blitz on the ball carrier the whole game, which worked, but of course the ball bounced to a skink. The rest of the game it was generally too well protected to do anything about. Just 1 MNG though which is a blessing.

NieA7
14-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Just played out a 1-1 draw against Dragon's Undead with my Necro's. The first half was an Undead grind down the pitch, until around turn 6 when I pulled off a tonne of crowd surfs (skeleton, mummy and wight if I remember correctly). Unfortunately in doing so I left a gap that a blitz could exploit, letting the ball carrying ghoul get through. Despite a 2 dice block I couldn't down him, giving Dragon a 1-0 lead. A hugely unlikely two turner almost unfairly succeeded for me but the wight flubbed the pass at the end, leaving it 1-0 at half time.

The second half went better for me, a loose screen on the side successfully shielding the ball carrier from all but 1 dice blocks while I systematically crowd surfed most of Dragon's team (I think he had 4 players on the pitch by the end). I decided to score with a couple of turns still to play just in case I could pull off a win, even though Dragon would be receiving with every possibility of pushing through a TD of his own.

A deep kick worked well, leaving the ball-carrying ghoul out of reach but with the two wolves between him and the rest of his team. I thought my luck was in when the ghoul failed a GFI, but I'd stupidly left myself just 1 square shy of being in reach of the end zone - in such mistakes are the mediocre coaches sifted from the best. 1-1 at full time then, and despite all the crowd surfs I'd suffered the lions share of injuries (including a niggling on the zombie that hogs the MVPs. Of course, he got the MVP for this match too). At least the other ghoul will be back for the next game. Thanks to Dragon for sticking with a very laggy game.

I still can't believe I left myself 1 square short >.<

somanyrobots
15-03-2012, 08:28 AM
The dramatic rematch! Last season, the Lycanthropes and the Maidens played each other in their first matchup, a mostly bloodless affair that ended 2-1 to the necros. But the amazons returned with five rerolls, and quite a bit more block and guard on the team, while the necros had skilled up their ghouls and werewolves and added a pair of flesh golems.

The match began with the Lycanthropes receiving the kick, which fell short and resulted in a touchback to a werewolf. The Lycanthropes made a cage on the left sideline, which the Maidens proceeded to smash up significantly. The necros threw some punches without making progress, giving the Maidens a chance to slip a linewoman and a blitzer into contact with the ball carrier. The Lycanthropes opened up a path, but the carrier failed the dodge, dropping the ball right on the left touchline. With both teams clumped up on the left side, a crowd throw would have been difficult for either side. but with careful maneuvering, and a lucky failed dodge by the Maidens, the Lycanthrope star ghoul Coffinslicer made a dodge-and-pickup, sprinting for the endzone and into the protective arms of a pair of wights and his fellow ghoul. The necros ran it in on turn 6, giving the amazons three turns left in the half. But the kick went the Lycanthropes' way again, with a Blitz; the necros didn't catch the ball, but they did put several players in a position to threaten it, and injured a catcher. In the process, though, the necros got overzealous and left plenty of holes, and the Maidens made a running handoff to secure a turn 8 score, tying it up at 1-1.

The second half opened with a deep kick into the Maidens' backfield, resulting in a mostly-formed amazon cage in the middle of their half. A werewolf zipped around the open back corner, though, to knock the ball loose, and opened up a scramble. The ball ultimately made its way to Morrigan the Temptress, WTF's ST4 Thrower, with both teams heavily tangled up all over center pitch. With much wrangling on both sides (and one amazon KO, and injured-but-regen'd WW), the necros eventually broke the ball loose, struggling all the while against the Maidens' Guard players. But the amazons turtled up again, handing the ball back to Morrigan. Who promptly went down again, though it took the last of the Lycanthropes' rerolls, with four turns left to play. The amazons recovered the ball, and then broke away in turn 14, sprinting a near-full cage down the sideline. The necros managed to get a couple of ghouls in the neighborhood, but without the positioning to really threaten the ball, the Maidens ran it in in turn 14. Upon receiving the kick, the Lycanthropes, desperate with two turns left, decided to attempt...ELFBALL. They ran both WW's and a ghoul through amazon gaps, and ran a wide, conservative line. In the end, they didn't need to attempt elfball in any case; a running route opened up, for a simple handoff-and-dodge for a touchdown. But the catch was failed, so the match ended 2-1.

Final: Gridiron Maidens 2 - 1 Lucky Lycanthropes
Well played, WhiskeyTangoFox! A thoroughly enjoyable match. A bit on the boring side, since both teams opted for long grindy drives, and I was perhaps disappointed that my Lycanthropes didn't keep up their phenomenal armor rolls. Running the numbers after the match, it looks like Nuffle may have been paying me back a bit for last season's excellent luck; nothing disastrous, but slightly underwhelming luck (and crummy armor rolls for both teams). Still, a pretty even match, and quite fun, as WTF is always a pleasant opponent.

Alistair Hutton
15-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Sigh, so that's 3 out of 4 of my Blitzers who have Dodge now. Fuck Skill Doubles, just give me a stat increase.

Wolfenswan
15-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Sigh, so that's 3 out of 4 of my Blitzers who have Dodge now. Fuck Skill Doubles, just give me a stat increase.

while on the other end of the spectrum i rolled yet another stat increase and cant decide if i should pick block over MA. *sigh*

duff
15-03-2012, 11:28 AM
That's the kind of ungratefulness that makes Nuffle ANGRY.

President Weasel
15-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah, it's a nice problem to have but it's still a problem. My chaos got a bunch of +move and +agi in their early skillups, which means they didn't get a bunch of block and guard (or frenzy or mighty blow). I'm glad to have a fast beastman and a couple of beast-elfs (one of whom rolled a double for dodge), but I'm a whole round of skillups further away from where I want to be.
Next guy to roll a double or a stat up is getting frenzy, unless he rolls double six.

Skydancer
15-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Could we please have our game in division E acknowledged? I need to make a couple adjustments to the team, thanks.

ChainsawHands
15-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Next guy to roll a double or a stat up is getting frenzy, unless he rolls double six.Your reverse psychology won't work on Nuffle!

groovychainsaw
15-03-2012, 11:57 AM
@Skydancer et al - All outstanding games have been validated.

As for the doubles rolls, they haven't come too often for me either, but there's something to be said for turning them down sometimes. It's interesting to see that whilst al hutton keeps adding dodge to his blitzers, I got it on one, but another came up and I decided more tackle was more important for the team. Dodge does get used occasionally, but I want to be more offensive (hence my predilection for mighty blow throughout my team :-D). I could have got jump up, which might have been helpful. Or leap? But I decided to stick to my build pretty closely.

LowKey
15-03-2012, 12:32 PM
I was tempted by jump up for my MB wight and picking up piling on after but went with dodge for durability in the end, now both my wights are blodgers :-)

JayTee
15-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Sigh, so that's 3 out of 4 of my Blitzers who have Dodge now. Fuck Skill Doubles, just give me a stat increase.After 18 levels, plus I think about 5 levels on dead players, I've yet to roll any stat increase :|

mrpier
15-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Hmm, got two skillups on rat linemen wrestle and +1 ag. I also got 70 000 in prizemoney for a loss?!? (I must remember wrong here, but I think I had just 100k in the bank before this) So now I have a rat ogre (Idefix) and probably some bloat.