PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The many, many Divisions of Death!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

boots468
15-03-2012, 09:18 PM
Hmm, got two skillups on rat linemen wrestle and +1 ag. I also got 70 000 in prizemoney for a loss?!? (I must remember wrong here, but I think I had just 100k in the bank before this) So now I have a rat ogre (Idefix) and probably some bloat.

Yeah, you won the FAME roll in our game, so 70k is possible. It must have been a very well attemded game as I too was given 70k! - not sure what to spend it on though as I'm getting by Ok with just two skinks on the bench and three re-rolls so far.

Dentharial
15-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Me and Heliocentric just had our game. Didn't I say my lucky streak was going to run out sooner rather than later?

Highlights included:

- The game crashing when an elf sustained an injury on the very first block of the match, only for an elf to get an injury on the second block of the match in the replay

- A mummy accidentally picking up the ball in turn 5, and the undead having to rapidly shuffle the ball down towards my line in case they run out of time

- But they do run out of time because Heliocentric accidentally leaves the now ballcarrying ghoul on the line rather than running over, thinking he can still move it over later. (I wasn't entirely clear on whether he thought he had one more turn or whether he just accidentally moved another player when the ghoul had only half-moved)
First half ends 0-0.

-Sovereign Right starting the second half with only 5 players on the pitch due to a combination of injuries and KOs

-Taxederm running in an easy touchdown around turn 12

-On the kickoff, the ball is kicked (as a High Kick) right onto the Sovereign Line of Scrimmage. The catching linesman dodges away and hands off to the catcher, who sprints up the pitch making 2 GFIs. Since the Taxederm team basically lined up on the LoS, Helio can only get a ghoul back for a 1-die block that comes up Both Down. My catcher hops up on the next turn, goes to pickup the ball and then run in an easy equalising touchdown...
Except he gets a 1 on the pickup. And the reroll. And then the ball bounces off the pitch to be thrown to a square surrounded by undead.
There is some screaming from the Sovereign Right's coach pit.

- The undead crowdsurf the catcher for having the audacity to attempt anything resembling a comeback, and then secure the ball to score again on turn 15.

- Heliocentric threatens to 8-player foul any elf who tries to make any threatening moves, so I spend the rest of the match running my ever dwindling supply of players away. On the final turn, I make a pass for the spp, and of course fumble it.

- On the bright side, out of 6 casualties, I got 3 badly hurts, 1 MNG, 1 -AV, and a death rerolled to a badly hurt.

- On the less bright side, my MVP went to the guy who took the -AV

I'm not sure it's fair to say I got Nuffled, but it certainly felt like I took more than my fair share of injuries and bad rolls. But Heliocentric also played fantastically; I learnt a ton from watching him on how to play positioning with a relatively slower team. Definitely food for thought.

Final score Sovereign Right 0 - 2 Taxederm

And it should have been higher.

Heliocentric
15-03-2012, 10:40 PM
And it should have been higher.Nah, i was stupid, 2nd time i lost a TD to the clock for no reason in this set of leagues. My brain failing is nothing but a lack of cognitive skill costing me touchdown, just as valid as losing by bad strategy.

I learnt a ton from watching him on how to play positioning with a relatively slower team.My turbo ghoul hisses at you.

Heliocentric
16-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Minor update :
According to BB Manager I have 3 ups, 2 are ghouls and 1 mummy all getting their first advance.

I need the division rolled on before I can see the dice but honestly, I'm quite happy with 2 blodge ghouls and 1 more guard mummy.

The Halflings will likely chef my rerolls away next so some stability from the guards might slow the (too slow to be called a) freight train might of the treemen.

The thought of 11 player fouling the treemen is too much to resist if the opportunity presents though.

Alistair Hutton
16-03-2012, 12:45 PM
After 18 levels, plus I think about 5 levels on dead players, I've yet to roll any stat increase :|

Including a hatfull of skills on dead/retired players (-ST on blitzers, no thanks) I'm closing in on 30 skillups with only a +MA to show for it.

LowKey
16-03-2012, 01:37 PM
On my undead iv had one +ag wight who died and one +str ghoul who died, only the +mv ghoul left for the curse to be complete

(these have been my only deaths :'( )

Heliocentric
16-03-2012, 01:57 PM
On my undead iv had one +ag wight who died and one +str ghoul who died, only the +mv ghoul left for the curse to be complete

(these have been my only deaths :'( )

I know for a fact *I* aim to murder my opponents star players. It would be the sparkling jewel in my crown to take a zombie or skeleton of a infamous player.

LowKey
16-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Well the ghoul killed himself on a block, he was so strong his body couldnt contain it

Heliocentric
16-03-2012, 02:32 PM
You'll need this. http://www.schiek.com/images/jay_chris.jpg

President Weasel
16-03-2012, 02:37 PM
I know for a fact *I* aim to murder my opponents star players. It would be the sparkling jewel in my crown to take a zombie or skeleton of a infamous player.

Onestepfromlost, who used to fly with us in EVE under the name of Vandron Fuji, played in the Divisions a couple of seasons ago.
I can't remember if he had nurgle or undead, but it was one of the teams who can raise dead opposition players anyway.

My Chaos team, the Red Skull Reavers, are named after people I used to fly with in EVE, so my team naturally included Vandron Fuji. Who was killed by Onestep's team and raised from the dead. The man killed himself and put his own zombified corpse in his team.

Speaking of deliberately trying to murder the opposition, I mentioned to Jiim last night on the Steam-o-chats that I hadn't had time to check out Groovy's team before the match to see which players had niggling injuries. Jiim seemed genuinely horrified that someone would do this, but checking out the opposition team for potential weaknesses is something I try to do before every game.

Can we do a quick survey? Who else does this? Am I a monster?

Heliocentric
16-03-2012, 02:48 PM

I do this but in karmic balance I choose both down without checking for block/wrestle.

Screwie
16-03-2012, 02:54 PM

While I do check opposition teams for their skill choices and TV, I don't look for injuries to exploit.

It might be different if I played a more bashy team, though.

groovychainsaw
16-03-2012, 03:02 PM
I do check for all sorts provided I have time. I usually forget by the time the game's actually loaded up which player had the injury, mind. I sometimes even check out my opposition before picking a skill-up (!), although I tend to stick to the plan in a long term league, rather than impulse buying tackle vs elves, for example (although I have a lot of tackle because I fear elves - It's generally not been a good choice vs my many seasons of chaos, nurgle and sauruses....)

Heliocentric
16-03-2012, 03:02 PM
It's like saying checking strength is unfair. Nonsense, casualties matter.

Vexing Vision
16-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Who else does this? Am I a monster?

Is that one question or two?

Individually, the answers would be "Me, Yes".

Together, the answer would be "Maybe".

Screwie
16-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I would probably object to the practise more if levelling up a team through bashing wasn't extremely inefficient already.

mrpier
16-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Yepp, if I remember to check the team before a match, I'll scope out who's easiest to injure. I usually forget by the time I play though. :-/

LowKey
16-03-2012, 04:32 PM
I got dirty player on a skele and have never fouled with him because I AM STUPID

Heliocentric
16-03-2012, 05:24 PM
I got dirty player on a skele and have never fouled with him because I AM STUPID

Sneaky git him and then forget for pro points.

Heliocentric
16-03-2012, 05:36 PM
I would probably object to the practise more if levelling up a team through bashing wasn't extremely inefficient already.

I'd be really interested to see how elf vs elf matches run. Surely it could get bloody?

potatoedoughnut
16-03-2012, 05:36 PM
The thought of 11 player fouling the treemen is too much to resist if the opportunity presents though.

Can only foul with 9 though :(

Heliocentric
16-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Treemen are 2 by 2 players, and fyi 8 around 1 is the max for a regular foul.

Screwie
16-03-2012, 06:04 PM
2 by 2 players?

ChainsawHands
16-03-2012, 06:10 PM
8 is indeed the maximum:
*o*

Treemen are the same size as any other player though. I'd copy and paste the relevant bit from the FAQ in the rulebook, but usefully the pdf doesn't allow that - page 77 if you're interested.

jlahnum
16-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Ulf's Marauders (Chaos) 1 vs. Anupshi Rises (Khemri) 1

The two brawlers of Division F met for the second time after a slugging match that left both team's bloolust unsatisfied in their first encounter last season in Division 7.

Ulf's Marauders chose to kick the ball and kicked to the mid-field hoping to push through quickly and possibly recover the ball before the Khemri did. Luck smiled on them and a quick blitz after the kick allowed them to get several players near where the ball was coming to a rest. They smashed aside the Khemri line and moved into position.

Anupshi Rises was having none of it they fired back, quickly KO'ing an incoming beastman and sending the first player of the game to the injury box. Their Throw-Ra managed to run up and get ahold of the ball and then caged up hoping to protect it from the onslaught of Beastmen rushing down the field.

A pile of defenders and offenders began brawling back and forth but a lucky blitz against the Throw-Ra sent the ball loose and allowed a Beastman to recover it and begin a solitary drive towards Anupshi's end. A Tomb Guardian quickly flattened the ball carrier sending it loose for a second time now deep in Anupshi's half. Anupshi Rises managed to get a Skeleton to pick up the ball and in a move of pure desperation attempted a pass past the charging Chaos line. Sadly the skeleton's throwing skills were not up to the task and although he managed to get it back to mid-field he was not able to complete the pass.

Time winding down in the first half Ulf's Marauders recovers the ball and attempts a desperate pass of their own which was fumbled by the Beastman who attempted the throw making it pop loose again and land just a few feet away. Undeterred the Beastman managed to grab the ball again and ran towards the end zone. Realizing he didn't have enough time to score himself he attempted a move to make a High Elf team gasp in wonder. He passed again this time over the remaining Anupshi rises defenders to an open Beastman who had planted himself right near the end zone. The ball sailed true and despite the desperate leap of several of Anupshi players they failed to intercept the ball. Tzeentch smiled on Ulf's Marauders as the ball landed in the receiver's hands and he ran it in at the last second to score 1-0 for Ulf's Marauders at half-time.

At the start of the second half a fan growing bored with the lack of injuries decides to throw a rock at a Tomb Guardian momentarily stunning the towering mummy. Ignoring this act of aggression from the stands Anupshi rises kicked the ball beautifully leaving it inside Ulf's own end zone and forcing the beastmen downfield to rush to get the ball in the hopes of running it all the way back up the field.

Ulf's Marauders recovered the ball and then hit the wall of Anupshi Rises defenders right at the line of scrimmage. The drive stalled here with neither side able to push the other back however, Anupshi rises managed to knock the ball loose and in a short scramble it appeared the Ulf's Marauders recovered the ball. In fact for a brief moment a Beastman was so convinced he had the ball he made a brilliant break away after being pushed out of the brawling pack of mummies, skeletons, and chaos warriors but as he ran down field he realized the ball was laying on the pitch and was not indeed in his hands.

Anupshi Rises quickly capitalized on the Chaos teams momentary lapse of sanity. They picked the ball up and after a brief struggle managed to break away from the melee at the line of scrimmmage and score themselves with seconds left on the clock ending the game 1-1.

Another fun game with Dog Pants with some amazing plays on both sides. My Beastman passing was a thing of beauty it was a pure desperation move but it paid off and I managed to score. Somehow in the second half I lost track of the ball and I was totally convinced my beastman had it. Through what I thought was some clever blocks and maneuvering I pushed him free of the main melee at the line and had him break out in a run for Dog Pant's end. Imagine my shock when I see the ball left behind on the pitch and my now pointless beastman rushing for the end zone. Dog Pants got a quick score off of that and that ended a really fun game between us. It's the second time I've played him and I enjoyed both games thoroughly. Good luck to him against the squishier elves that make up the rest of our division.

Screwie
16-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Treemen are the same size as any other player though. I'd copy and paste the relevant bit from the FAQ in the rulebook, but usefully the pdf doesn't allow that - page 77 if you're interested.

Ah yeah, of course! That's what that meant.

Pretty sure big guys have always occupied a single square since they were introduced in BB 2nd edition. BB 1st edition had 2-by-2 players whose tackle zones did not extend behind them, if I remember right.

One thing I love about goblin teams - you can get a "bonus foul" with an lucky thrown goblin or a bomb (quite a lot of "fouls" with a single bomb, potentially). :)

Jarvis
16-03-2012, 06:18 PM

I'm not in the habit of fouling either on the whole, it's fairly rare that i've got a player who's not better off doing other things and unless you get a good number of assists together it rarely seems to pay off - if i've got the freedom to get those assists it ends up seeming wasteful i'd prefer to be moving the ball to a safe place and making alot more regular blocks for spp instead of trying to be sure the one guy stays down.

Zoraster
16-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Pretty sure big guys have always occupied a single square since they were introduced in BB 2nd edition. BB 1st edition had 2-by-2 players whose tackle zones did not extend behind them, if I remember right.
Four square big guys were second edition (although to be fair most people think second was first. First edition used the standard Warhammer stat line with ballistic skill used for passing etc.) In second they took four squares and counted as two players. It was third where the game starts to resemble modern BB with the turn limit, turnovers, block dice etc.

I'm not in the habit of fouling either on the whole, it's fairly rare that i've got a player who's not better off doing other things and unless you get a good number of assists together it rarely seems to pay off...

Fouling has been heavily nerfed in this edition (continuing the endless cycle of removing the Blood from Blood Bowl... sooner or later someone will wake up to these players moaning at the biggest CAS causer no matter how few CAS result) so it is now more a surgical strike tool most of the time. One in three chance of getting sent off is absurdly high and more-or-less removes it as a viable tactic unless you can consistently combine a niggle with DP.

President Weasel
16-03-2012, 06:38 PM
fouling without some combination of lots of assists, sneaky git, and bribes is usually counterproductive. If you do have at least one of those things, it's worth using your cheaper players to foul their stars - especially if you brought a deep bench of interchangeable mooks for this purpose.
Fouling is particularly useful when you already have a numerical advantage. 11 v 9 is a nice situation to be in, but if you can turn that into 9 against 7 you have more of an advantage (and if you can turn that into 3 against 1 you've got the game sewn up)

NieA7
16-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I do check for niggles beforehand, though generally speaking who I hit is determined by where they're standing and what skills they have rather than any personal problems. Generally I don't bother with fouling unless there's a good reason - getting someone out the way or keeping a dangerous player down. I am more inclined to foul with goblins than other players, just to get into character.

One in three chance of getting sent off is absurdly high and more-or-less removes it as a viable tactic unless you can consistently combine a niggle with DP.

If it's a 2D6 double isn't that 1 in 6?

Jiiiiim
16-03-2012, 07:51 PM
It's a double on either your armour roll or your injury roll, so it's somewhere between 1/6 and 1/3 and dependent on how high the opponent's armour is and how many assists you have (as you need to break their armour to get to the injury roll).

So if you know how much you need to roll to break armour, you can get these chances of being sent off

0/1/2/3+ needed: 0.306
4+ needed: 0.296
5+ needed: 0.287
6+ needed: 0.269
7+ needed: 0.250
8+ needed: 0.222
9+ needed: 0.204
10+ needed: 0.185

So the less you need to break armour, the more chance you'll get sent off, but also the more chance you'll cause an injury. The problem with the system is I think that the probabilities are not intuitive, that's the first time I've sat down and worked them out and unless I keep that as a table handy, it's not going to help me, really. So I just assume every foul that I will probably be sent off and decide if the tradeoff is worth it.

Heliocentric
16-03-2012, 08:20 PM
If you have spare players, have your opponents down to a handful of players, a host of assist and are about to score a touchdown next turn(thus can easily replace the ejected fouled with a spare) I say foul away.

Hell, I'm Bashy.

Zoraster
16-03-2012, 08:57 PM
So the less you need to break armour, the more chance you'll get sent off, but also the more chance you'll cause an injury.

Only if you are fouling with a Sneaky Git. Nothing is more annoying than getting sent off with a five man gang foul after snaking the armour roll :)

As Jiiiiiim pointed out Nie you have two rolls and a double on either results in a sending off. With Dirty Player now reduced to a 1/1 modifier to cause an injury you need to roll 9+ to get the CAS, or 10+ with an unskilled fouler. Held against the two chances of getting sent off those odds are appalling in the first half. Second half it is better (or first half if you are in control of the injury box so there will only be one KO roll before the second half) as KOs increase in value, but fouling is now a very marginal tactic.

President Weasel
16-03-2012, 09:12 PM
There are a whole host of conditionals such as how soon replacements are likely to take the field, how many replacements each side has, the relative quality of the players and the relative quality of the replacements.
For instance, if the downed man is an ag4 multi-skill-up thrower on an ag3 team, and my potential fouler is a Goblin who I bought specifically as a cheap source of fouls, I'll foul him even with one assist, because the potential loss to my team is small and the potential effect on his team is enormous. And this is even before Sneakles McFoulington (for that is indeed his name) gets Sneaky Git.

One other thing to bear in mind is the potential for tactical fouls - say some git with jump up and dodge and high agi is the only one with any chance of getting a hand to your ball carrier before you score - foul that player. Foul the hell out of him, because you only need a stun to guarantee a touchdown.
Been on the receiving end of that one a few times and thought "oh well played, you utter bastard".

duff
16-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Well, you can try to consider all the variables you like, but when I see that Str 4 wardancer prone on the floor I'm god damn fouling it.

Jiiiiim
16-03-2012, 09:17 PM
I haven't even considered sneaky git there, it's just if you're more likely to break armour then you're more likely to have two chances to roll a double. So you'll be more likely to get sent off. Didn't want to think about dirty player and sneaky git as well ¬_¬

Alistair Hutton
16-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Well, you can try to consider all the variables you like, but when I see a wardancer of any sort, even completely unlevelled, prone on the floor I'm god damn fouling it.

Fixed For accuracy. Of course that's big words for a coach with a team that has a Witch Elf in it, a Witch Elf with Wrestle. Why didn't you just go with Piling On and a big Neon Sign?

I'm not a fouler but I make exceptions for pointy eared bastard War Dancers and pointy eared bastard Witch Elves. I mean I think those players are specifically exempt from my 1792 edition of "Gentleman's Rules for Fair Play and Decorum"

NieA7
16-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Huh, I thought it was only the armor roll that could send you off (and my chainsaw loony's were just unlucky), missed that - thanks for the clarification. That does make it pretty damn risky, and makes sneaky git much less useful than I'd imagined.

JayTee
16-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Sneaky Git is useful on a throw-away player you want to foul with regularly, it's less useful on a player you're using to tactically foul with. SG prevents a fail (Not breaking armour) turning into a critical fail (Not breaking armour, send-off, and Turnover), and means you can trade your player & a Turnover for at least a Stun, pretty much every turn.

It's not a skill I'd ever take on anything other than a cheap trash lineman.

duff
16-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Fixed For accuracy. Of course that's big words for a coach with a team that has a Witch Elf in it, a Witch Elf with Wrestle. Why didn't you just go with Piling On and a big Neon Sign?

But they come with jump-up so wrestle makes sense. Yeh she's gonna die a grizzly death but with just 6 SPP you have an AG4 MV7 wrestle, dodge, frenzy, jump-up lady.

Heliocentric
16-03-2012, 11:36 PM
I rolled double on both my ghouls, and agility +1 on my mummy who was elf balling last match.

Would it be so wrong if I took guard on all 3?

President Weasel
16-03-2012, 11:58 PM
I rolled double on both my ghouls, and agility +1 on my mummy who was elf balling last match.

Would it be so wrong if I took guard on all 3?

Mummies start off Ag1, right? There's no point taking plus AG on that - although this is coming from a man who took ag+ on a black orc and now has an AG4 freak of nature.
It never hurts to have guard on a team although you might want to make a killer ghoul for a laugh.

Heliocentric
17-03-2012, 12:25 AM
It never hurts to have guard on a team although you might want to make a killer ghoul for a laugh.

If I took guard on all 3 I would have 6 guards, surely that's pretty insane? I fancied blodge ghouls, but I might never see another double on these guys.

I think extremism in me cries out for guard version of the Berlin wall, and we all know that ended well.

Edit: its done, I have 6 players with guard a tv of 1400... I could buy a reroll but there is no point the Halflings are going to chef it off me anyway with 430 in TV difference.

Rakysh
17-03-2012, 07:11 AM
6 guard baint extreme, Dorfs will still outguard you.

Kelron
17-03-2012, 11:49 AM
While you can always find a use for guard, I'm not sure your Ghouls are the best players for it. Their speed will come in handy to get guard where it's needed, but Wights are fairly mobile themselves and you don't want to be giving your opponent easy hits on your Ghouls. Still, if you give them block they can make a nuisance of themselves as blitzers and won't go down too easily, and you can still hire more ghouls for ball handling duties.

Squiz
18-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Send_mark and me gave up on trying to play our game due to connection problems.

Heliocentric
18-03-2012, 02:13 AM
Connection issues plagued me and Kapouille, but we managed to get the game launched by dropping i firewalls and spamming host match.
Magic.

The bankers teambuilding exercises have clearly been playing dividends as a lineup of 6 guards stood to face the wrath of tiny little halflings, plus some Trees which were curiously planted at the LOS.

The game itself was quite nuanced. My TV bloat lead to him fielding a Star Player Treeman along side his own 2 Treemen, mostly i just tied them up with a zombie each until they rooted and start eating the Halflings but eventually I noticed the ball and got one touch down on turn 5. The mummies who had taken the LOS in the first turn were dropped back and disposable undead took the treemans hits, but with a combination of outnumbering, guard and mummy's strength the treemen were knocked down a few times but to no lasting effect.

According to BB Manager he took root 6 times (out of 14 so bad luck) but you'd think the 8 rerolls he ended up with after his chefs could have swung that fore him, but no the ones came in pairs.

His bad luck extended to the ball, in fact at no point did he manage to walk anywhere with the ball, indeed upon reflecting on the read out it seems at no point did he ever hold the ball. Not to say picking up the ball didn't offer its own set of challenges for me, failing 4 times in a row at one point. Even his dodging had forsaken him, delivering a handful on knock-outs by dodging.

On the last turn a ghoul who had skirted the touchdown line for 2 turns with the ball leaped out of 2 halfling tackle zones (the rest of the team was 7 vs 1 on a treeman with 2 others both distracting a treeman and #11 was evicted from the pitch for a foul on said treeman and unable to assist) to score a second touch down and deliver another win.

Heliocentric's Taxederm 2 - 0 Kapouille's Tuftybushe Fruitcakes

Kapouille
18-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Heliocentric's Taxederm 2 - 0 Kapouille's Tuftybushe Fruitcakes

I can't say Heliocentric had especially good luck in that match. In fact, fate wasn't really playing in his favour (I had a remarkably low casualty count given the number of hits I took with my halflings, he fumbled around quite badly trying to pick the ball)... But... Those dice clearly had an agenda!

Yes, I had a nice row of trees planted in the middle... I think the soil was especially rich on the field and my treemen just felt at ease there, completely ignoring what was happening around.

On the plus side, our cook had a good run this time around, stealing all of Helios' rerolls the first time around (all 3 of 'em, pushing myself up to 8) and almost all on the second half time (nicked 2). Not that it helped in the slightest, mind you. I think both halflings and treemen were thinking too much about the upcoming banquet.

I think I also didn't play very well, I could have potentially prevented the last touchdown by placing my players better... But what's the use, I might as well be generous and give Helios' ghoul more glory ;)

Well played Heliocentric, you earned it!

groovychainsaw
18-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Chaps, tomorrow is the last day to get your first game in - I've validated and moved on other divs if they want to get going early. Let me know if you need more time to get your first game in! Sendmark, squirrel, I'll mark you down as 0-0 so you can get on to your next game at least.

Tom OBedlam
18-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Admins, me and Grinn are going to have to get our game in on Tuesday, we've been having some problem due to w*rk and timezone issues. Will get it done asap though.

Zoraster
18-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Server just seemed to have a bit of a fit when Alini and I tried to play... very long load with the lost connection between players dialouge up for around 90 seconds and when it did load it went straight to end of match... and then hung for another minute on unload.

It looks like Alini is still hanging, so we may need a reset in a few minutes. Depends what the server decided was happening :)

Zoraster
18-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Ahh no, we are alright. Looks like the server has decided it is best to pretend it never happened. Hopefully we'll get more luck with take two.

20phoenix
18-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Hi - i've added my name to the list as a Skaven team

Rakysh
18-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Just drew 2-2 with Screwie in the last turn- very, very tense game with incompetence and excellence in equal measure for both teams' players. I picked up an extra line-zombie (which has a really cool animation) and levelled up a few pieces, which was nice. Big thanks to Screwie for being such a good sport and excellent opponent. Spreadsheet is done, please don't melt my balls.

Zoraster
18-03-2012, 05:37 PM
The Circus got out of jail with an elfy end-to-end turn 16 TD earning a rather lucky 2-1 win over Alini's Dwarvern outfit to open Division C. Up until then Nuffle had done her best to damn the Orcs in the second half. It was a classic case of getting screwed with umpteen 1 in 36 failures only to get huge dice at the key moment just as you think Nuffle has forsaken you.

So four games in and my rookie Orcs are still unbeaten. With a third game against Dwarfs next on the dance card the Circus have been playing for results more than much needed skills so we will hit the wall pretty soon, but winning the first game goes a long way towards avoiding relegation and that was my target this season.

Zoraster
18-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Forgot to mention an interesting new bug; my wizard zapped a runner in the second half as Alini sought the equaliser. Only trouble was after zapping him the lightning bolt icon decided to hang around and nothing worked at all. Wouldn't let me use it on open space or one of my players, wouldn't let me escape out, no F keys helped and in the end I had to zap a second dwarf. Anyone know a way of avoiding this? Luckily it didn't impact on the game as Alini quickly scored anyway but it could have been huge.

Heliocentric
18-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Yes, I had a nice row of trees planted in the middle... I think the soil was especially rich on the field and my treemen just felt at ease there, completely ignoring what was happening around.

Stills from the cabal vision footage suggest a latina halfling and a monkey played some part in the trees behaviour.

ntw
18-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Chaps, tomorrow is the last day to get your first game in - I've validated and moved on other divs if they want to get going early. Let me know if you need more time to get your first game in! Sendmark, squirrel, I'll mark you down as 0-0 so you can get on to your next game at least.

I've heard nothing from Pseudo, not even sure if he's accepted my SteamBuds Friend request...

Heliocentric
18-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Said anything on your groups board? Oftentimes people will accept when you mention the request.

ntw
18-03-2012, 08:45 PM
I've made several posts on the DivD board, still no response.

LowKey
18-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Drawlien schooled me in the ways of elf ball today, beating my undead with his wood elfs 3-0. I felt I got a bit nuffled in the block dice, suffering two injuries and a few ko's while inflicting none (Drawlien suffered an death rerolled to BH from a wizard and one injury from a failed dodge), but overall I was beaten by a superior player, really need to get some tackle! Looking forward to the next game against NieA7 who I think I have played the most in the DoD, so will now refer too as my nemesis.

JayTee
18-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Admins, me and Grinn are going to have to get our game in on Tuesday, we've been having some problem due to w*rk and timezone issues. Will get it done asap though.Myself and Dave are likely to need a day's extension too, but since Tom and Grinn's match is the other match in the same Division (Div 3) this shouldn't be a problem.

We may still catch each other tonight, but in the event we don't then we're planning on a Tuesday finish too.

Squiz
18-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Chaps, tomorrow is the last day to get your first game in - I've validated and moved on other divs if they want to get going early. Let me know if you need more time to get your first game in! Sendmark, squirrel, I'll mark you down as 0-0 so you can get on to your next game at least.Muchas gracias, señor groovymotosierra. Let's hope that things work out fine for the two of us with the next matches.

Kajo
18-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Played The Top Brass - Kajers

Final score was 1-2.. could be easily have been a draw without bad dice on the worst moments.

I've got too my bad share of luck, but as cacamas said, it's the norm with few rerolls without skills :v

Cacamas
19-03-2012, 12:02 AM
To echo Kajo's post, it was a tight game between my elves and his necros. I was an easy dodge, an easy throw and an easy catch from equalising but the dice suddenly turned. I think more rerolls are on my shopping list next...

DWZippy
19-03-2012, 03:08 AM
Sports Gobbo
Ogres can't bash, Elves can't pass shocker.
By Ferris Flannigan

An incredibly tight game at the snowfields today led to a last minute shock Ogre win, after the Elves failed to do anything right all second half.

The ogres took receipt of the ball in the first half and caged up to rumble down the pitch - when DW's elves cut loose and opened up a can of Snot-ass, injuring 3 snotlings and knocking out 2 in the opening moments of the match, then they turned their attention to the cage, and tore it apart, Elves avoiding serious injury to fell all 4 of the enemy ogres, only to have a touchdown snatched from them at the last moment by the half time whistle.

The second half was a different game entirely. The elves failed to so much as pick up the ball for the second half, fumbling the ball [and these magical things I hear are called rerolls] without any success. It got so embarrassing for the elves as they failed to perform even the most simple of actions, that a snotling was able to waltz in to the Elven half and pick up the ball. One of the elves broke loose of the pack to give choice, and sent them both tumbling to the ground with a mighty crack, later discovered to be the snotlings knee, bringing the injury count to 4 for the match. Another snotling then ran the ball in flawlessly, causing the elfs more woes. They failed to pick the ball up again in the closing minutes of the game, sealing hopes of an equaliser in a match where [apologies to X_kot, but he said the same] they were the hot favourites to win going in at Half Time.

Players and staff across the divisions have nicknamed the elves the bloodthirsters, as the high born team have caused 7 casualties in just 2 games - with just one game left in the season, the high elves aren't looking at a promotional under any circumstances, but should be a more experienced team rolling into the next season.

This match sees the Ogres move to pole position in Div G, could the Ogres come out with a fighting chance of lifting/eating the trophy?

DWZippy
19-03-2012, 03:09 AM
I also Liveblogged it.but basically the second half is F*** nuffle, F*** nuffle!

X_kot
19-03-2012, 03:45 AM
When asked about the outcome of the latest match, coach X_kot only snorted and said, "My boys have been focused on becoming more well-rounded players. This has had the unfortunate side effect of leaving more of our opponents on their feet, but morale is high - only one snotling has been put down so far, and that's not too shabby!

"We have great respect for Sulaco; they fought hard, and much of the blame for their loss rests on the lineman they contracted. We're eager to see how the rats and humies do. May they cut each others' throats!"

Screwie
19-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Phantom Menace (Necromantics, Rakysh) vs Dread Pool (Dark Elves, me)

I started strong in the first half, but then shortly after my first TD I had to use up my apoth saving a blitzer from a career-ending -1 ST and from that point on, every block made me sweat.

Rakysh brought Ramtut to the match and it made a huge difference. My decidedly un-elfy dark elf linemen have so far accrued 3 lots of Guard but that the presence of that big evil mummy neutralised any LoS ploys I might have chosen.

His necro team ballsed up a Turn 8 TD that would have equalised, which made the second half a lot more stressful - especially after an early mistake by me allowed Rakysh to slip through and equalise early in the second half. If he HAD scored in the first half Rakysh would no doubt have parked up by my end zone and spent the next several turns beating on elves, but as it was we went to a deciding play.

So it came to a nerve-wracking, drawn-out brawl a few yards from Rakysh's end zone. My team started strong with a semi-cage on the right flank, my runner was not completely protected but he did have +1 AG, NoS and a blitzer within 3 spaces that was within running distance of the line. When the blitz came, my blitzer fumbled the catch and my runner wasn't even knocked over! The ensuing scuffle for the ball lasted several turns.

During this scrum, my Wrestle lineman Gedhil the Giddy thought he was cool enough to dodge the ground itself, and that mistake cost him his life. His surprise death was followed immediately by another surprise - a graphical effect neither Rakysh nor I had seen before (the necromancy zombie making fx). Rakysh promised to give Zombie Gedhil Wrestle as soon as he could, which I thought was nice. :)

Eventually, my runner made good when he swooped in and picked up the ball before dodging away to score. And so it came to the final drive, with a couple of turns remaining. His ghoul began to descend my right flank with a wight and a wolf in front as a screen, but I pushed open a hole in the LoS and my blodging blitzer tackled the ghoul with a Guarding lineman assist. He recovered the ball but was stood at the edge of the pitch. I risked a GFI to move him away and he fell over!

Rakysh's ghoul picked up the loose ball, chucked it to one wolf, who handed it to another wolf behind my LoS (whose mark had been easily dispatched). This wolf walked the ball home to end the match.

Phantom Menace 2 -2 Dread Pool

Oooh, so close to a win! Given the TV difference I should probably have done better, but Rakysh played smart and Ramtut is a problem I had few solutions for (and definitely worth his cost). Very good game Rakysh, and you're a pleasant opponent to chat with.

I have a nice elfy match lined up next. Can't wait!

groovychainsaw
19-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Me and Jarvis played our day 2 match yesterday, my 4 Colour Villains (humans) vs his Cute Harmless Hippies (chaos).

Pretty closely matched teams, only 100TV in it, Jarvis goes for 2 bloodweiser babes to keep his team on his feet, and then opts to receive, no doubt planning to batter my team nice and early. And proceeds to do just that, rumbling down the pitch in a nice cage, that for all my efforts, proves unstoppable. A great number of straight pow rolls and 2 turn stuns see me with few players able to slow down the cage, even though few are going off the pitch. One menacing hit kills a beastman outright, but the apothecary is on form and gets him back on his feet for the next drive. With that warning, Cute Harmless Hippies run it over the line, turn 5, 1-0. Textbook stuff from the Chaos team, my block failing against all the pow rolls but my armour holding up at least.

On receipt of the ball, the kick goes fairly short, i create a little cage around the ball, blitz the right with Zod (my str4 blitzer - handy!) to open up a space for my Professor Zoom (sidestep catcher) to run down the line. There's a minotaur safety but I'm 2 GFIs away. I bash the centre line and make a gap for my other catcher who runs straight up the middle towards the mino. And then I scoop up the ball with Bullseye, the thrower. Here Jarvis makes his worst mistake, deciding, before standing anyone up, to blitz my catcher on the sideline (afterwards, it turns out he was expecting juggernaut to cancel sidestep, but a quick glance a the rules show that its the one thing it can't cancel). The mino wild animals, but passes with a reroll. However, he fails the first goforit and falls over next to my catcher. This makes for a simple play, I create a cage to cover the fumble in the centre of the pitch, run my thrower through, pass a simple 2+ pass to Harley Quinn (catcher) in the centre of the field who runs it in, turn 7. 1-1.

Kicking off to Jarvis with 1 turn to go, Jarvis goes for the pass-and-catch, which causes a fumble. I bash his line away from my guys to leave him with just a single blitz for his final turn. Both still intact teams, Jarvis scoring a lot of stuns and 2 KOs who hop up for the second half. I receive, the kick is a high kick, bullseye misses the catch but the balls spills into the hands of bane(lineman) standing next to him. I have a weak cage form around him, the bash the line. I start with Galactus (Ogre). Mistake!! He gets a both down/skull results and loners the reroll, taking himself out and ending my turn prematurely. Jarvis bashes into the corner of my cage with a chaos warrior and stand his str 5 tentacle chaos warrior next to bane. Bugger.

I blitz a man out of the cage and then go for the handoff fomr Bane to the waiting Bullseye. It burns another reroll, but Bullseye makes the catch. I try to blitz a beastman down on the right wing, but only score a push. Everyone else looks to prevent their man getting to the ball. Fortunately for me, Jarvis' dice turn on him, going from the 'all pows, all the time' of the first half to 'all pushes', leaving me in with a chance with the ball. A bit of counter blocking from me sees some success getting the chaos warriors out of the way, either by pushes or knockdowns. A beastman goes down badly hurt. I move Bullseye onto the sideline in a pocket, protected by Zod, Professor Zoom, and Bane. Jarvis bashes the cage. Zoom goes down stunned, but sidestep lets me put him as a defensive piece in front of bullseye. Zod goes down too, but this needed a blitz and noone else can get next to bullseye. I survive for a turn.

Zod hops back up and immediately goes for the blitz on the chaos warrior. He hits and scores a KO, helping my situation no end (thanks mighty blow!). A couple more blocks sees Galactus stun a beastman in the centre of the field. Maybe he'll be useful soon! The mino blitzes in to take out some supporting players behind my cage, but Juggernauts (pushes) a both down then I dodge the stumble downfield, leaving himself a little bit out of the way, rather than the threat on the edge of my cage I was dreading. Again Jarvis hits Zod to get into the cage, getting the knockdown and leaving himself next to bullseye.

Again, Zod hops up and hits the beastman, taking him out with a 2 turn stun. Thats the end of my luck for this turn, as a bonehead from Galactus and then a failed dodge away from Prof Zoom causes a turnover. Still, the pile of bodies in front of Zod is helping nicely :-). Jarvis, obviously annoyed by Zod, goes for a simple hit (blocked) then a blitz in which knocks him down again. A push then both down result for the mino ends Jarvis' turn early and I have a chance. Galactus breaks his tackle and runs off the lock up the chaosmens standing above my cage (his guard now giving me +1 against all 3 players). A KO of the warrior on the end means bullseye can get clear, running around the stand next to galactus. Professor zoom and harley quinn (catchers) both run upfield, and a reposition of my players means I'm all upfield, locking jarvis in my half away from the ball, only one safety in between me and a touchdown.

But then! His beastman dodges away, makes the goforit and blitzes my catcher :-( who goes down. The ball is thrown in by the crowd, but they're obviously on my side, as it falls near my catchers, who are marked up upfield. A beastman without block takes on zod with 2 dice against so naturally I put him down, scoring another 2 SPP for Zod for a badly hurt. I make a couple of blocks to fre eup some players to get them around the ball. A failed goforit burns my last reroll. A couple of pushes gets the beastman away from the ball and I go for hte pickup, turn 15 with Harley.... who fumbles it :-S. 1 turn left, 5 squares out, one beastman near me... Who dodges back in onto the ball. A second attempt to get a beatsman free sees a dodge fail and turnover back to me. I put 3 men on the beastman next to the ball and blitz with zod, 3 dice getting me the block and a KO. Professor zoom runs over to pick up the ball (hoping that harley's diving catch might help if he fumbles the pick?), makes the pick, and scores, turn 16. Whew. A final turn of bashing sees galactus go down KOd and then the games ends.

So a tight game, pretty bashy with a lot of hard work put in by both sides. Jarvis rolled a great number of Pows in the first half to really put my team on its back (and rolled 24 pows/105 dice overall), but scored more pushes in the second half. Fortunately, my players stood up to the all the armour breaks and 2 turn stuns were all I was getting. Meanwhile, I rarely broke the armour, but when I did, it was for a Cas, which became helpful in the second half. Both of us had pretty good armour dice and pretty good D6 dice and it shows, not a lot went drastically wrong for either team, with a similar number of failures for each side. Jarvis, I think, rued that mistake with his minotaur in the first half which gifted me a textbook passed touchdown for my team to level the scores.

After all the work from Zod, he got his reward again, becoming my first player to hit level 5. And he rolled another double 6. So now he truly has Kryptonian strength, as a 7,5,3,8 blitzer with block, tackle and mighty blow. Place your bets now on his longevity, he's not going to be popular from now on!

President Weasel
19-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Damn you groovy, I have one str-up player in all of blood bowl and he's on the wood elf team I no longer play in the Open. That team got pretty thoroughly wrecked during the season. Now you got a str-up on your str-up player? Boo!

groovychainsaw
19-03-2012, 03:22 PM
23 level-ups in my team, 2 stat-ups total. They just happen to be 12s on the same player :-). On average, you should get a stat-up 1 in 6 levels, so even if i didn't get a strength-up I'd be disappointed if I hadn't got an MV or AG by now. Str is 1 in 36, of course, so yeah, I have been pretty lucky to get 2. But with the number of double 1s I've had on skills in-game, it appears this team is surprisingly good at getting those 1 in 36 chances ;-). It's extra-nice its on a player who can actually use it well (although I'm pretty sure strength is useful on every player in the game, apart from maybe your big guys who'd rather have block i suspect)

/Edit - I'll add that I don't think I've ever had a strength up player in any other team before, and I've been playing for a long while, so I guess it had to happen eventually :-)

President Weasel
19-03-2012, 03:33 PM
I'd take STR over block on any big guy (except maybe the mino, since I wouldn't keep him in my scrimmage line - but nowadays I don't take the mino anyway). Having a Str 6 troll would be just the ticket against any enemy scrimmage line full of guard.

I'd also need less assists to 3-dice stuff, so the number of one-dice blocks I would be receiving instead of 2-dicers, and the number of 3-dicers I'd be handing out, should go a lot of the way towards negating the block disadvantage long enough for me to have another 2 chances to roll doubles and get block.

Vexing Vision
19-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Would one of you wise and kind admin-creatures roll on Division A to day 2? I believe Kelron and laneford played their game a few bits ago. At least Kelron was not adverse to a little spontaneous gaming this week when we catch each other on Steam - something I have a mind to try tonight.

groovychainsaw
19-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Well, whilst I didn't mean to start this conversation, i would say its always debatable on a big guy and depends how you want to use them. Using them as a blitzer, block is less useful, as you can take juggernaut for a similar both-down avoiding-effect. But as a roadblock with guard+stand firm, i'd rather have block as it reduces your opponent's chance of taking him down, as well as making him more reliable at taking others down (you don't want to use rerolls if you can help it on a loner...).

+1str does get you 1 closer to 3 dice blocks, but in my experience, the opportunity doesn't come up as often as you'd like (unless you have a good amount of guard and your opponent has little or none). You have a slightly greater chance of bringing someone down with 2 dice and block than 3 dice if the defender has no skills, but you have a better chance of taking down someone with block or dodge with 3 dice. You also have a lower chance of turnover with 2 dice and block than 3 (not by much, mind, about 1% less likely!).

For your chaosmans, the minotaur would have the strongest argument to get strength over block of all the big guys, as they prefer to blitz and you have horns, too, for str 7 blitzing and therefore reliable 3 dice blocking on an average player :-). Most other big guys are too risky/slow to use them as a blitzer and work better as an annoying lump on the pitch, which block helps no end with :-).

Screwie
19-03-2012, 04:54 PM
A bit tangential, but on the big guy front I've resolved that my next Troll that rolls a double is taking Pro no matter what.

When you look at the number of dice rolls required to get a successful one-turn TTM TD...
Goblin #1:

Pick up ball
Hand off
0-2 GFIs depending on where the ball lands

Troll:

Really Stupid
Always Hungry (and Try to Eat if that fails)
Throw

Goblin #2:

Landing
0-2 GFIs depending on scatter

....one TRR a turn doesn't always cut it.

(And that's not even looking at what the enemy is doing to stop you!)

I might try Pro for a Goblin too, since Pro is the only skill that can improve your landing roll without using your TRR allotment for the turn.

Zoraster
19-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Bad idea Screwie. You are far better off giving skills to your Trolls that will prevent things going wrong to the extent that you are falling back on the plan Z TTM strategy in the first place. However assuming you do have to toss a goblin even with a Pro Troll you still have marginally better odds using Ripper/Morg. It is better to avoid the Stupid and Hungry rolls altogether.

Jiiiiim
19-03-2012, 05:54 PM
I would pretty much kill someone in real life to have the chance of adding block to a big guy. God I would enjoy that.

groovychainsaw
19-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Don't you already have 6 big guys with block Jim? ;-)

Jiiiiim
19-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Imagine if I had a seventh!

and, like, a unicorn!

groovychainsaw
19-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Unicorn - 10,5,1,7 - Skills: Jump Up, Stab, Multiple Block ('Horn Frenzy!'). Access only to agility skills. 170k.

/Edit - Yes, I'm bored :-).

Screwie
19-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Unicorn - 10,5,1,7 - Skills: Jump Up, Stab, Multiple Block ('Horn Frenzy!'). Access only to agility skills. 170k.

No Hands, surely?

Janek
19-03-2012, 06:19 PM
I took +ST on a minotaur (well technically it was a troll but it got zapped into a minotaur in the CRP conversion) then it killed itself with a triple skull. I was not impressed.

Zoraster
19-03-2012, 06:22 PM

‘Zons used to have a Unicorn big guy (well star, but back when all Big Guys were stars). Think his stat line was 8448 and he had no hands. The horn was represented by Razor Sharp Claw and he had Sure Feet. He also had a negatrait akin to Really Stupid. Sadly when the game moved on it was decided he risked giving the 'zon team some flavour so he was booted into touch.

EDIT: actually thinking about it I think the negatrait may have been a house rule when some leagues retained the position... too long ago though so I can't really remember but I'm sure he came in originally when Big Guys couldn't use any rerolls so didn't have negatraits in the same way.

Screwie
19-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Bad idea Screwie. You are far better off giving skills to your Trolls that will prevent things going wrong to the extent that you are falling back on the plan Z TTM strategy in the first place. However assuming you do have to toss a goblin even with a Pro Troll you still have marginally better odds using Ripper/Morg. It is better to avoid the Stupid and Hungry rolls altogether.

Well Ripper is godly and certainly preferable but a star player isn't always an option, even in the Open League.

I am tempted to try Pro over something like say Pass (or Nerves of Steel, which might also be good for TTM) precisely because Pro will help out a Troll in all areas on every turn, even if its just to avoid Really Stupid.

I no longer consider TTM a Plan Z tactic, as it is really useful for more than just the TD attempts. There are times when, even with Stunty and Dodge, a Goblin would have to take a LOT of risks to navigate the field. Or when you need to get three goblins on the opposing ball carrier to get that 2D block, but there are only two in range. In situations like that the TTM might even be less risky than trying without. Failing a TTM roll (including gastronomically) doesn't result in a turnover unless the Goblin was holding the ball and drops it, so there is no turnover risk - unlike trying to dodge.

(I swear I never used to use TTM at all but I think I've begun to enjoy the hilarity and chaos of it too much...)

HughTower
19-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Well, whilst I didn't mean to start this conversation, i would say its always debatable on a big guy and depends how you want to use them. Using them as a blitzer, block is less useful, as you can take juggernaut for a similar both-down avoiding-effect. But as a roadblock with guard+stand firm, i'd rather have block as it reduces your opponent's chance of taking him down, as well as making him more reliable at taking others down (you don't want to use rerolls if you can help it on a loner...).

For your chaosmans, the minotaur would have the strongest argument to get strength over block of all the big guys, as they prefer to blitz and you have horns, too, for str 7 blitzing and therefore reliable 3 dice blocking on an average player :-). Most other big guys are too risky/slow to use them as a blitzer and work better as an annoying lump on the pitch, which block helps no end with :-).

This is correct. I'll also add that my darling lvl 6 Rat Ogre, Billy Big Balls, in the Open wouldn't be half the player he is without Pro. He's exactly that sort of hit and run blitzer, not a stand and lump it hero, that GC describes.

On the other hand, I would kill Jiiiiiim for Block on my Treeman.

President Weasel
19-03-2012, 06:42 PM
I have block on my ogre in the Open. It's ace.
Coincidentally he's called Einstein, he's a genius amongst big guys. Still wish he was Str 6 too :)

LowKey
19-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Aye my beast of nurgle in the open has block, too bad he seems to fail his really stupid every other turn, and with tentacles if I get him into position to hold a few people I am reluctant to block with him

Heliocentric
19-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Mummies are the least hazardous "big guys" going, sure no TMM but as a wall of meat they perform admirably. I'd sacrifice alot to get block on him, but triple dice stop the pain.

Guard really does go a long way to simulate a strength upgrade for your team, but even better its strength where you need it, a guard player can help in 2 different places each turn (where they start and where the end up) and if you guard well you can eliminate hostile assists too.
Now just have your block player use the guards and get super low failure blocks.

Kajo
19-03-2012, 08:22 PM
You could change your nick in "Guardcentric" :V

El Cubo
19-03-2012, 08:35 PM
(I swear I never used to use TTM at all but I think I've begun to enjoy the hilarity and chaos of it too much...)

Once you score a one turn TD when playing defence, you really begin to love TTM.

Gorm
19-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Just played my game vs Graever. 2-1 to me. He had some terrible luck with going for it all game and i took advantage of my speed. I think i broke one of his linemen so theres that too. I was afraid of his ogre before but he didnt get up to much in this game. Graevers td was really good though, he dodge onto the ball then off it threw it to a marked blitzer who caught it dodged out and managed the two go for its to score a last turn td.

Graever
19-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Cheese It!!!! 2 - 1 Codsbottom Brawlers

I'm starting to suspect division G might have attracted the attention of some kind of malicious entity considering first the string of bad luck in the earlier game between Sulaco and The Knuckle Heads followed by a game that saw the brawlers managing to fail more than half their GFI rolls and Cheese it somehow fumbling three easy (despite the sun glare) passes and most of their pickups.

Otherwise a pretty sedate first half consisting of Cheese it managing to out-brawl the brawlers, smashing the collarbone of an unfortunate lineman cowering for the Brawlers attempt to move the ball upfield and instead managing to get it in the hands of a stormvermin for a turn 5 touchdown. The brawlers follow up with a somewhat ill coordinated attempt at a comeback smashing trough the left side of the Cheese it line but somehow manage to finish the half with the ball carrier free one step outside the end zone.

the second half gets slightly more interesting with the brawlers kicking the ball out of bounds but then getting two blitzers past cheese it lines and cornering the gutter runner carrying the ball. Sadly for the brawlers the Skaven misfortunes in passing seem to not extend to their dodge rolls resulting in a duo of cheese it gutter runners masterfully avoiding several brawlers and outrunning the opposition to score a two turn touchdown from deep withing their own half.

With the score now 2 to 0 and only two turns remaining the brawlers decide to try one last push up the right side of the field, The attempt very nearly ends in disaster as the tired and demoralized team accidentally leave their ball carrier unguarded. Cheese it, no doubt smelling the opportunity to deliver one last insult break the ball free and only the last of their fumbled passes keep them from widening the score further.

Now on their last turn with the ball stuck on the midfield and surrounded by Skaven the humans nevertheless decide to have one last go at it. Several linemen attempt to support the team ogre in clearing a path for the No.10 thrower but fail. Nevertheless No.10 Eomund Luitpold boldly dodges past several Skaven grabbing the ball as he goes and finishing with a long pass up the field allowing the Brawlers to finish the game on a slightly less embarrassing note.

groovychainsaw
19-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Everyone apart from snoozer and karandraz (I'm giving you guys a day or so to see if you can meet up, otherwise a 0-0) and div 3 (who have explained earlier) have been moved on to day 2. Pseudo, you got a default - you around at all?

Any other games have been validated too! Day 2 begins NOW.

Indefatigible Snoozer
20-03-2012, 10:45 AM
It's not going to happen today, so 0-0 it.

grinn
20-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Me and Tom are playing tonight.

Tom OBedlam
20-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Grinn! Come back! I was just replying when you logged off!

MadDave123
20-03-2012, 11:55 PM
My stinky Nurgles VS JayTee's hulking Tomb Guardian wall of death Khemris

Lots of blood, casualties, regens and KOs. The Tomb Guardians pretty much made anything an almost impossible task. But the stinkiness of my Warriors ate at least one re-roll, so that helped.The second half very much turned into a big cluster-block and everything went downhill from there. A sneaky play from JayTee had him scoring a 2nd TD on turn 15.

Nurgle 0 - 2 Khemri

Well played that man. A very fun game indeed.

That concludes week 1 for us in Div 3. I think.

Kelron
21-03-2012, 12:33 AM
6 injuries, 6 KOs and 6 touchdowns later, a vicious match between my dark elves and Vexing Vision's amazons ended in a 3-3 draw. All the KOs and 5 of the injuries were suffered by my players, so I'm definitely the moral victor after such an unsporting display of thuggishness.

Vexing Vision
21-03-2012, 12:34 AM
So, this just happened.

Kelron and me were playing a game in Division A, my Seaside Sirens versus Kelron's Deadly Lampshades. Or rather, Nuffle was playing with us.

By turn 4, only 4 dark elves were left on the pitch. They really shouldn't have let me receive first.

By turn 8, it's 1-1 because my Sirens figured they could run in a two turn counter-touchdown against the severely decimated elves. But 'lo, Elfball was declared, and a long pass in glaring sunlight later at the end of turn 8, it was 1-1.

Then the Touchdowns didn't stop, but neither did the casualties, ending in a vicious 3-3 with at least 3 MNG Elves. They did get one of my linewomen, too, and dented her armor most severely.

I finally levelled up my replacement thrower, too. So that's something.

JayTee
21-03-2012, 12:41 AM
Fly Soup (Nurgle - MadDave123) vs. The Dead Comic Society (Khemri - Me)

0 - 2

First match against Nurgle for the Comics, and quite an exciting one it was too.

The Comics lose the toss again, which puts them at something like 7 in a row (I can't remember the last time I won the toss. Le sigh), and Fly Soup elect to receive. A decent or some might say lucky kick puts the ball just off the touchline and both teams collect an extra re-roll from the event. Fly Soup push an aggressive LoS with 5 players including the Beast against the Comic's LoS while the Comics hold a fairly standard staggered defence.

After a few stuns on both teams, the Comics' DP/SG Fouler stunning two players and being sent off, Fly Soup score two quick casualties on a skeleton who regens a broken neck and a Blitz-Ra who fails to regen a BH. The first drive devolves into a ridiculous shoving match in the centre which the Comics eventually get the upper hand in, knocking down the 'gor carrier and managing to snaffle the ball. Largely thanks to a pretty good streak of Pows on the block dice, Fly Soup also suffering a sending off, and some good chain-pushes for position.

Fly Soup manage to get a 'gor to Blitz the carrier, but Push/AD is re-rolled to Push/Push and the Comics Blitz the carrier free and walk in the first TD on turn 6. The Comics kick-off deep in Fly Soup's half and again both teams collect a re-roll. The second drive is largely quiet, a last-minute gangfoul on a Nurgle Warrior results in a potentially useful KO.

The KOed Warrior wakes up easily and the Comics set up to receive, the Kick-Off-Return Thro-Ra managing to place himself directly under the ball hoping for an unlikely catch. Fly Soup however receive a Blitz event, and much to their annoyance forget about blitzing a player and largely use the event to position deeper in the Comic's half.

The Comics start their drive by Blitzing a Warrior, only to fail the FA roll, re-roll it and are left with double-skulls on the block dice so promptly cause a Turnover without doing anything. To show them how it's done a Warrior promptly injures the other Blitz-Ra to a non-regened BH. The next few turns see the Comics scramble to semi-cage the ball, but Fly Soup break in, kill the carrier and for the first time ever the Comics regen a dead player. Fly Soup are unable to collect the spilled ball however and suffer a regen-ed Broken Neck on a 'gor in return, the ball popping out of danger and the Comics fight to free it up. In a disturbing display of agility a Blitz-Ra dodges free, collects the ball and the Comics fight to keep the carrier safe with 4 turns left to score.

Fly Soup injure another skeleton, who regens the BH, injure a Tomb Guardian who avoids a niggling injury thanks to regen, and mark up the carrier with the Comics rapidly losing the numbers game. The Comics manage to KO a Warrior and weighing up the odds, declare ELFBALL. The Thro-Ra dodges past a player and thanks to a miscount of squares misses a successful throw to an upfield skeleton by one measly point but manage to place the ball upfield away from the majority of the Fly Soup players.

Fly Soup manage to collect the spilled ball but after a series of successul 2D-against Blocks finally end up rolling a skull and suffer the Turnover before they can support the new 'gor carrier. After a bit of shoving the Comics manage to knock over the carrier, snaffle the ball and run in the second TD on their final turn. Fly Soup setup to receive and the final act of the match is a gangfoul on a Tomb Guardian which just results in a stun.

Fun match I think for both parties, though I think Dave took the brunt of a fair bit of luck in the first drive which allowed me to go on the offence and nab the first TD. Fairly casualty heavy match there, I should have ended up with 6 players in the injury box but regen for once worked on the serious injuries (Dead and a niggling both saved) and left me with just 2 BH players so no permanent harm done! For once I was slowly losing the attrition game as Dave's players steadfastly refused to be injured or KO, while my Blitz-Ras clearly forgot to wear their armour and even the normally sturdy TGs took an injury.

The ELFBALL moment was risky but I figured with Pass the chance of a fumble was only 1/36, and even if I failed to successfully throw or catch the ball would be up in the mid-field. In my half I had marked up the Warriors so Dave only had a single 'gor to break through to where the ball would probably land, and I liked my chances more away from the Warriors. Turned out to be the right gamble and Dave couldn't get enough players to support his 'gor (Though a knockdown on the Beast plus Dave not standing it up before taking a Turnover really helped) and I secured the win.

Of course I get MVP on a fresh trash skeleton taking me up to 5 players who are 1SPP away from levelling. GAHHHHH.

grinn
21-03-2012, 01:51 AM
The Rok 'Ard Nobz (Orcs) played Tom's Blighty's Blighters (Humans). The game was a pretty one-sided affair with the Nobz chowing down on humie butt. The Blighters' drive made it one turn into the Nobz' half and for the rest of the game the ball was in the Nobz possesion. The Blighters had a five or so men left standing by the 5th turn of the first half. The Nobz languidly mopped up the remaining buggers to the sound of Jonni Gold's sweet sweet voice and the soul-wrenching mouth-guitar strums of Ingvi Gobsteel. Annoyed by Gobsteel's mouth-guitaring the remaining humans picked themselves up from the floor, dodged out of their tackle zones and downed the ex-lead guitarist of the Nobz, applying the boot to his mouth mercilessly. Thankfully the Nobz' Steroid juiced blitzer was only badly hurt and after a quick check with da toof doc he's been confirmed for the next match.

Next half the Nobz rolled slowly up the pitch, slamming humans as they went along. Once again, only a few Blighters remained by turn 13 and the orcs did an unnecessary pass to Dizzy Stradler who jogged the ball into the endzone with his signiature pelvic shake.

Turn 14 sees the Blighters receiving the ball, run all the way back to their endzone and hoping that the charging green tide (all the team but one BO did 2 GFIs towards the humans). No drama in the last turn, however and the game ends 2-0 for the Nobz.

Kelron
21-03-2012, 01:55 AM
They did get one of my linewomen, too, and dented her armor most severely.

Dented her skull.

Tom OBedlam
21-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Yeah the Blighter's got eaten alive out there, nothing too permanent injury wise, but my star player is MNG. Going to have to have a practice against bashy AI teams...

President Weasel
21-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Yeah the Blighter's got eaten alive out there, nothing too permanent injury wise, but my star player is MNG. Going to have to have a practice against bashy AI teams...

'AI' stands for Artificial Idiot though. I'm not sure how much help playing the AI will be.

Take a look at Hutton's human team, or at Groovy's. There are different ways to develop humans, but Hutton's Wall of Guard and Groovy's pack of mighty blow steroid freaks, are a couple of good examples.

Tactically, try not to end the turn in base contact with the enemy - if he wants to bash, make him come to you so you get the first hit in. Limit him to a blitz and a couple of hits a turn. If he's bashy he's not going to be agile, so a loose screen that would make him dodge through tackle zones should be enough to stop anything bashy except amazons from blitzing a star player you want to protect. Remember you don't have to follow up pushes - if you shove them away and don't follow up, they'll be free to run about the pitch next turn but they won't get a free hit on your man.

NieA7
21-03-2012, 10:38 AM
While BB's mostly split between agile and bash there are a group of teams that sit half way between the two. Humans are firmly one of those weird teams - generally speaking they can do nothing really well but they can do everything competently. With the blitzers and catchers you can push your development one way or the other in the long term, but in general humans do best playing whatever style the other team aren't: don't try to out-bash orcs and don't try to out-pass elfs, chances are they'll do it better than you.

Other weird teams: Norse, Necromantic, Skaven, stunty teams, Vampires, Lizardmen. Approach with caution. Except stunty sides, them you can punch.

groovychainsaw
21-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Yup, Humans (unlike in most games where they are the 'safe' option) are really the harder option, as they are unspecialised and they have no clear plan. They are not bad at anything, but they're not great at anything either. What they do have is a good range of starting skills and access to all key positions.

My early few seasons were all against bashy teams, so my team became bashy to compensate, generally levelling to exaggerate the starting skills. So blitzers gain mighty blow first (to speed up levelling) and then tackle and guard, catchers gain wrestle, sidestep, fend to stay alive when they run off to act as decoys (I rarely pass to them) and my thrower has accurate (and a fortunate strong arm for elf-reliability passing). All my linemen have got block on their first level to improve survivability/annoyance, and I'll follow that up with fend to stop me having to make dodge rolls. I try to make as few D6 dice rolls in a game as possible, so no dodging, passing or catching unless absolutely necessary. The best TD for me is my thrower picking up the ball then walking it in 6 turns later (THIS NEVER HAPPENS).

Probably the only thing I regret is not getting a kicker sooner, as humans are about the 3rd most mobile team out there (albeit lacking dodge) and can exploit a short/long kick depending on the opposition. Couple this with a blitzer with frenzy (forcing the opposition 2 squares away from the side) and there should always be room to sprint a catcher down the wing to annoy any team that is poor at handling the ball (bashy ones). Against agililty teams, you just need to outbash them, hence my tackle+mighty blow specialists :-). Cage up and force them to make the dodge rolls.

Lately I've fancied the idea of creating a dauntless wrestle stripball tackle catcher-blitzer. But it's getting hard to level up new players at these dizzy heights of division 1 - I maybe should have tried that sooner...

President Weasel
21-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Speaking of which, I realised that with this chaos team of mine I am, for the first time ever, genuinely unbothered about the prospect of relegation. With other teams I've always viewed it as a shameful failure - with this one, it's going to be a chance to drop a division or two and probably get some quicker SPPs to level up some interesting players.
I hope to be challenging for the prize in 6 or 7 seasons with a team of freakishly specialised mutants.

Screwie
21-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Probably the only thing I regret is not getting a kicker sooner, as humans are about the 3rd most mobile team out there (albeit lacking dodge) and can exploit a short/long kick depending on the opposition. Couple this with a blitzer with frenzy (forcing the opposition 2 squares away from the side) and there should always be room to sprint a catcher down the wing to annoy any team that is poor at handling the ball (bashy ones).

Thank you for reminding me why I should splash out on a witch elf asap.

Also when one of my linemen levels up and doesn't get a double (those TV bloating Guard bastards), I'll be taking Kick for I think the first time ever.

Vexing Vision
21-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Thank you for reminding me why I should splash out on a witch elf asap.

Also when one of my linemen levels up and doesn't get a double (those TV bloating Guard bastards), I'll be taking Kick for I think the first time ever.

My Amazons lost their Kicker four games ago, and I still miss her absence greatly. Although I think I might have another level-up from a line-girl somewhere in the realms of waiting for the admin approval.

HughTower
21-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Lately I've fancied the idea of creating a dauntless wrestle stripball tackle catcher-blitzer.

Do it, Groovy, these are excellent (though I've left out Strip Ball which seems to be more useful in lower TVs than the higher). You'll just have to learn to how to score with your catchers by the sounds of things :P

I've got woodie and gutter runner versions which I use to pressure deep-lying throwers and ill-secured cages; the gutter also is MA10 with horns for that extra special guided missile effect.

groovychainsaw
21-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah, although my catchers do score and do get spps (my 2 'favourites' are lvl4) they are not my primary outlet and rarely get passed to (and when they do, they tend to drop it, not being ag4 like most catchers). Getting a third catcher up to the point where he'll be useful could be tricky. I like the idea though.

And strip ball I think could be useful and is probably a bit underrated, I really haven't come across that many ball carriers with sure hands and you have a 50% chance of getting the ball to drop if they don't with just one skill (it works on the 2 push results AND on a stumble, even if they have dodge :-D). Couple that with wrestle and you should get the ball to drop 5/6 times on a 1 dice block. Pretty good odds. And even if it scares people into having sure hands on their ball carriers (unlikely), that's one less 'outfield' skill for that player (barring the odd team that has sure hands as a starting skill)...

Screwie
21-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I am inclined to agree, Strip Ball is seen as undervalued because of Sure Hands when in reality a lot of teams never actually take that skill. Elfy, lizard and stunty teams in particular are very rarely going to have it. Even on a team which does have the skill it's not going to be widespread.

That said, with your "dauntless wrestle stripball tackle catcher-blitzer", I don't think Tackle and Strip Ball are an optimal combo. If you want to maximise your chances of dislodging the ball, I would probably give your catzer Frenzy in place of Tackle.

groovychainsaw
21-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Maybe - there is the risk if hitting elfs that you push them back into a square, the ball drops in that square then they pick it straight back up, tackle helps with that :-). Also, more injuries!

Frenzy could be a bit of a liability with a dauntless player blitzing into/through a cage, you're relying on all the support being taken out to keep the 1 dice block AND making both dauntless rolls. With a str2 blitzer, there's a fair chance of getting 2 dice against on a frenzy.

Leap or diving catch *might* be more useful than tackle, one to get in the cage (at risk!), the other to scoop up the ball quickly (As you're in the middle of a cage, its unlikely to be successful, but you do have catch already and you'll get first dibs on the dropped ball, rather than the player - it'll also scatter from your square rather than the pushed player, preventing them easily recovering the ball). As for doubles, grab would be nice, to stand him next to some other players of yours to grab the ball as it falls off the pushed player ;-).

Screwie
21-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Frenzy also gives you a greater chance of using the sidelines to 'dislodge' the ball though. :)

President Weasel
21-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Personally I would prefer to take tackle and wrestle over strip ball, and then add frenzy (push? then I shall hit you a second time!) or stand firm or sidestep - skills for harassing ball carriers or receivers as you're much harder to push away.
I just think strip ball is far too situational - for a start it's only useful when your team don't have the ball, and it's only useful against the ball carrier. Wrackle can be used in a wide variety of situations, and sidestep or stand firm also allow you to cover the sidelines against frenzy teams.

I don't think I'd ever take strip ball.

groovychainsaw
21-03-2012, 05:01 PM
I agree in general, its not worth having on all your players, for sure, but for one specialist cage-breaker, it undoes a majority of ball carriers remarkably well for the cost of a single skill. Plus a human catcher is already useful on offence at level 1 and doesn't get much better at catching/scoring even with a number of agility skills. Anything that makes him a useful defender/assist is helpful. A str2 player even with dauntless is not going to be my go-to guy for injuries, not with 4 blitzers vying for that position :-).

Heliocentric
21-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Yunno, when it comes to smacking the ball out your opponents hands wrestle does what block can't, but is less useful on a ball carrier.

Really block works for everyone, so they can wrestle or jugganaut to ignore block? Foul the wrestler and pat the jugganaut on the back, he scored a push.

Actually jugganaut and strip ball is a pretty nifty combination.

On anything but a skull to take the ball away from even a blodger.

President Weasel
21-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Hey, actually juggernaut and strip ball really is a nifty combination, and one that's available to beastmans. Hmmm.
Stop making me consider taking strip ball three posts after saying I'd never do it.

groovychainsaw
21-03-2012, 05:33 PM
My catchers have never been seen to 'carry' the ball, so wrestle is more useful for them anyway. They've only ever caught and run the ball over the line. Walking slowly up the pitch with a str2 player is just asking for trouble, and wrestle keeps them alive whilst taking down a marker for the following turn (on the rare occasion they don't take my catchers off the pitch). There's a reason I always leave my catchers 5 squares from the line - no goforits required to get over the line, even after being wrestled down :-).

/Edit - And juggernaut and strip ball on a beastman would be pretty scary -str4 blitz from horns fits in nicely with those skills...

Janek
21-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Relevant: A wrestle/strip ball skink is the best thing ever. What's that, the ball's in a cage? The incredible Skinkdini cares not!

President Weasel
21-03-2012, 06:49 PM
If I get a double on my AG4 beastman I'll toss a coin and make either a safe throw strong arm quarterbeast, or a leap juggernaut strip ball beast.

Jarvis
21-03-2012, 07:25 PM
If I get a double on my AG4 beastman I'll toss a coin and make either a safe throw strong arm quarterbeast, or a leap juggernaut strip ball beast.

My leap beastman's getting quite near to his next level I may actually try this he of course needs very long legs as well.

President Weasel
21-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Very long legs! You crafty Swede, that's the missing ingredient for greatness.

Kajo
21-03-2012, 08:08 PM
I fear your ideas.

President Weasel
21-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Queens of the Neighbourhood (Wolfyswans Amazons) 3 - 1 Red Skull Reavers (Pres. Weasel, Chaosmans)

This was always going to be a struggle, as I don't have a single player with the tackle skill. I also didn't get much help from the dice. Here's an example: I go to foul, with 5 assists. Amazons have 7 armour so I need 8 or better, which means the only roll that doesn't at least stun and probably KO or injure the prone amazon is double 1.
I roll double 1, and get my man sent off.

The match was pretty close, it was 1-1 at the end of the first half and I was receiving in the second with a chance to go 2-1. I didn't protect my ballcarrier well enough though, which led to a 2-1 touchdown for Wolfenswan. With three turns to go and no rerolls I turned up skulls while trying to make a lane for some receivers before I'd even got the ball; with two turns to go I managed to get a ball carrier to within scoring range, but without nearly enough support. He was smashed down by one of Wolfenswans two (two!) freakishly strong 4 str amazons.

If you want the definition of depressing futility, how about "trying to get the ball off a str4 blodging amazon when you don't even have tackle". Despite that, it was an enjoyable match. Cheers Wolfenswan!

PS - I don't envy whoever gets to play him next season when those Str monsters have developed more. I hope you bring a lot of tackle and guard. On the plus side, despite their blodging and my utter lack of tackle I did prove that if you hit amazons enough times they break - sadly the 3 injuries and one KO weren't enough to help me.

Dog Pants
21-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Anupshi Rises (DogPants, Khe) 1 - 1 Dandy-Lions (DeekyFun, HElf)

Match day brings perfect Blood Bowl weather, but as the teams line up the Dandy-Lions soon realise that the sun doesn't shine in the home team's crypt. The High Elves start with a safe kick to the centre of the Khemri half which sets off a slow grind of a push up the left side of the field, the defenders doing more damage to themselves than the cage after a run of astonishing bad luck - three all-skulls in five turns, despite rerolls. A brief dash forward by the offence is slowed down again by a nimble Elven response, but as the end of the half drew close the Khemri smashed a hole in the defence. The Anupshi Thro-Ra stumbled over the line for the first touchdown, as the crowd celebrated by injuring the unfortunate Elven lineman who was shoved off the pitch in the dash.
The remainder of the half was spent productively fighting, injuring a player on each side.

The second half began with a deep kick to the Dandy-Lions and a violent push by the offence. The High Elves streamed through the defensive line to take several catching positions while their thrower easily picked up the ball and moved into position. As the Khemri scramble to mark the defenders the thrower pulls back a long throw, then drops it at his feet. Capitalising on this fumble, a wall of skeletons surge towards the ball, but despite being flattened by a Blitzer the plucky thrower hoists himself up, retrieves the ball, and makes a beautiful pass to an unmarked lineman. Wasting no time, the elf sails over the line before the defence can even react.
A short kick sees Anupshi Rises quickly cage the ball for another offensive drive, and the game devolves into a brawl as the Lions successfully hold and break up the attacking cage on the half way line. With scant seconds left on the clock a gap is made and the Thro-Ra makes a desperate sprint for the line, while the rest of the Khemri team block the Elves in. Despite this, a couple of defenders break out and quickly catch the runner, bringing him down hard enough to knock him out. The scrappy fighting, however, has left none of the High Elves close enough to the touchline to take advantage of the loose ball, and the final whistle blows before it can be retrieved.

cyberpunkdreams
21-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Hi... I'm a complete newb here, but Steam tells me I've played 87 hours of BB since buying it earlier this year, so I hope I'm not a complete newb overall! I'd like to join the RPS league, if possible? I've joined the Steam group and will add my details to the Google Docs sheet... I must admit all the rules scared me off for a while, but I guess it's not going to be that difficult once I'm into it.My favourite race of Wood Elf, but seeing as they're full, I propose to play Goblins, for the sake of everyone else's amusement. I've been practising with them anyway...

ntw
22-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Welcome, just shove your details into the sheet and don't worry too much about the rules. They have mutated to become as long and involved as they are because we have to try and anticipate or cover every eventuality from a league management POV. Basically, as long as you want to play with a bunch of nice chaps and can commit to a game every 10 days or so, and are not too obnoxious either in victory or defeat then you'll fit right in.

Goblins? Brave man! Don't write WElfs off though - they may come free anyway, we tend to have a few players "rebooting" to a fresh team every season. Have you ever played BB multiplayer? The Single Player is only really good for some basic concepts and getting used to the (awful) UI, plus the MP can be a pain in the ass to get working sometimes, so it's worth checking beforehand.

mrpier
22-03-2012, 10:52 AM
No response from Pseudo310 yet about our match, and looking at his profile he hasn't been on the forums for about a month. Hope he's just supremely busy.

ntw
22-03-2012, 11:08 AM
No response from Pseudo310 yet about our match, and looking at his profile he hasn't been on the forums for about a month. Hope he's just supremely busy.

He missed our match last week as well - no response from him at all and I don't think he even accepted my SteamBuds request.

I think he's either really busy or he's done a Marie Celeste...

President Weasel
22-03-2012, 12:35 PM
He missed our match last week as well - no response from him at all and I don't think he even accepted my SteamBuds request.

I think he's either really busy or he's done a Marie Celeste...

Surely that's more of a Lord Lucan? He could only have "done a Marie Celeste" if he had been found drifting months later, with his entire crew having eerily disappeared.

Alistair Hutton
22-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Queens of the Neighbourhood (Wolfyswans Amazons) 3 - 1 Red Skull Reavers (Pres. Weasel, Chaosmans)

This was always going to be a struggle, as I don't have a single player with the tackle skill.

I've spotted your problem. You didn't have anyone with the tackle skill. Also, some kind of Break Tackle Big Guy would be useful in this situation, especially one with Frenzy. And Horns.

President Weasel
22-03-2012, 02:00 PM
I see your plan, you're trying to mind-game me into buying another Minotaur so he can spend the entire game failing Wild Animal rolls and standing there while your team waltz past him to score touchdowns. Well it won't work!

Screwie
22-03-2012, 02:13 PM
First Strip Ball, then Minotaurs...

Quick! Let's all convince PW to take Fend!

We'll scupper his team yet!

Alistair Hutton
22-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Buy two !

Rakysh
22-03-2012, 04:02 PM
You know what every team needs? At least four guys with Pass Block.

President Weasel
22-03-2012, 04:05 PM
A player with pass block and very long legs and disturbing presence could be genuinely useful.

potatoedoughnut
22-03-2012, 04:09 PM
I don't see how you can have so much STR access and no thick skull!

mrpier
22-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Maybe - there is the risk if hitting elfs that you push them back into a square, the ball drops in that square then they pick it straight back up, tackle helps with that :-). Also, more injuries!

This struck me as strange and after a quick question on bbtactics I found out why, the ball scatters from the square the ballcarrier is pushed to, so that scenario can't happen, you could get a scatter back into that square which would be annoying. That being said a greater chance of downing/injuring a ballcarrier is always a plus in my book.

groovychainsaw
22-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Ah - ok - i guess I was misreading the rules - it says the ball is dropped in the square the player is pushed to, but i guess it then scatters before any pickup attempts like any other scenario. Still, it could scatter back to them after a failed catch, so knocking them down is still helpful, as is diving catch.

Screwie
22-03-2012, 06:10 PM
You know what every team needs? At least four guys with Pass Block.

Not gonna lie, this was actually the impetus for creating my current Dark Elf team! I used the skill in a single player campaign and it's really fun to be able to move a whole bunch of your guys about as an out-of-turn counter attack.

(The plan has since mutated, and I plan on picking up more Dump-Off if I get more doubles. And a bit of Shadowing. God willing, my team will be as annoying as possible.)

A player with pass block and very long legs and disturbing presence could be genuinely useful.

Or for non-mutating Agility teams, Catch is solid. Diving Catch too, for the scatter. Nerves of Steel allows you to place a TZ on the thrower/catcher without taking the TZ penalty on your intercept attempt (sadly, its a Passing skill). General tackling abilities work too, for tying the catcher up if they do complete the pass.

I've not tried Disturbing Presence, I don't know if it takes effect if you move into range with a Pass Block or not. Cyanide can be funny that way.

That said, a Nurgle Pass Block team has the potential to be utterly soul destroying...

cyberpunkdreams
22-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks, will do! I like to think I'm not too obnoxious ;). I've not played MP BB before either (apart from years and years and years ago), so I am expecting a lot of defeats. I did try MP in the public leagues, but never managed to set up a match.

I guess I'll start with Gobs, and if I get continually humiliated, switch to WElfs if they become free...

Welcome, just shove your details into the sheet and don't worry too much about the rules. They have mutated to become as long and involved as they are because we have to try and anticipate or cover every eventuality from a league management POV. Basically, as long as you want to play with a bunch of nice chaps and can commit to a game every 10 days or so, and are not too obnoxious either in victory or defeat then you'll fit right in.

Goblins? Brave man! Don't write WElfs off though - they may come free anyway, we tend to have a few players "rebooting" to a fresh team every season. Have you ever played BB multiplayer? The Single Player is only really good for some basic concepts and getting used to the (awful) UI, plus the MP can be a pain in the ass to get working sometimes, so it's worth checking beforehand.

President Weasel
22-03-2012, 06:33 PM
If you've never managed a game in the public leagues that suggests you might need to look at your port settings. There should be a very helpful post about ten pages ago in this very thread.
(That, or you're not using Legendary Edition, which would put you out of contention for this league too)

ChainsawHands
22-03-2012, 06:42 PM
The spreadsheet has a networking guide built in: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0VreXc&hl=en&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=41

Screwie
22-03-2012, 06:43 PM
EDIT: What Mr 'Hands said, a whole minute earlier than I did.

potatoedoughnut
22-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Not gonna lie, this was actually the impetus for creating my current Dark Elf team! I used the skill in a single player campaign and it's really fun to be able to move a whole bunch of your guys about as an out-of-turn counter attack.

(The plan has since mutated, and I plan on picking up more Dump-Off if I get more doubles. And a bit of Shadowing. God willing, my team will be as annoying as possible.)

Since Delfs have fairly low MA for elves I'd probably get a bunch of diving tackle & jump up instead of Shadowing if you want to be annoying. I think Shadowing typically isn't worth it unless you have MA8, since slower players are typically going to bash instead of dodge, and faster players won't get followed much with MA6. Don't forget sidestep & stand firm for annoying skills! :)

Skydancer
22-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Since Delfs have fairly low MA for elves I'd probably get a bunch of diving tackle & jump up instead of Shadowing if you want to be annoying. I think Shadowing typically isn't worth it unless you have MA8, since slower players are typically going to bash instead of dodge, and faster players won't get followed much with MA6. Don't forget sidestep & stand firm for annoying skills! :)

My MA6 Blitzra with shadowing, block and tackle has many elven notches on his shoulderpad.

Heliocentric
22-03-2012, 07:53 PM
My MA6 Blitzra with shadowing, block and tackle has many elven notches on his shoulderpad.

Yeah, shadowing doesn't NEED to work every time to be threatening, and being threatening is half of the battle.

Gorm
22-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Great to put on Gutter runners though

Screwie
22-03-2012, 08:56 PM
I find MA 7 is generally enough to be threatening with Shadowing, as it has uses beyond chasing down catchers/runners. Like Diving Tackle it's a great booby trap of a power, too. One of my favourites is completely screwing over opposing players with Break Tackle.

(Although Diving Tackle and Jump Up are things I will probably invest in too.)

Vexing Vision
22-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Against all advices, I'm thoroughly tempted to get Shadowing on some of my tackling Amazons. Even if it only has a 30% chance of triggering against faster opponents, it's still a 30% chance of getting another tackle attempt....

Jarvis
22-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Very long legs! You crafty Swede, that's the missing ingredient for greatness.

The last skill needed of course is passblock since very long legs negates safe throw and adds to the intercept chance- leave those poncy elves with their long passes going "buh buh buh".

cyberpunkdreams
22-03-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm using the Legendary Edition. The problem may just have been that I wasn't persistent enough. I joined one of the public leagues and made a few challenges, but no one responded. Perhaps completely the wrong way to go about it, but, as people seem to point out frequently, the game's interface is rubbish and it isn't at all obvious how to go about these things. Hence, I thought it would be a great idea to join a properly organised league.

Anyway, I'll check out the networking guide, but I don't think I have any problems with that as I play other multiplayer games.

Skydancer
22-03-2012, 10:51 PM
I see you're online now. If you want we can have a practice match - hit me up on steam, same name, avatar is the penny arcade cat.

President Weasel
22-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Oh, I see. You're probably fine then, but I'd suggest joining the Naggaroth public league for some games using matchmaking, to check your connection is all right.

Rakysh
22-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Drew 1-1 with Kajo, very tense. We learned that Necros are a lot better at cracking cages than making them, both turnovers having been scored against the run of play.

boots468
23-03-2012, 12:29 AM
My Lizards v ntw's Skaven was very much a game a two halves. He received, got nuffled, I broke a load of rats, half time score 1-0 me. Second half, I received, skinks got hurt, melee lost, full time score 1-1. A fair result, overall.

ntw
23-03-2012, 10:30 AM
My perspective -

I decided to receive to try and avoid getting my fragile rats crushed by boots' fearsome wall of BlockoSauruses, blitz on the kickoff and one (of my two!) +ST GR's gets KO-ed immediately, the game continues to go downhill from there, eventually conceding a TD at the end of turn 8 to end the half.
Second half and it still feels like I'm pissing against the wind for the next 3-4 turns, something must be going right though because all of a sudden I have a numbers advantage and an opportunity to bust the ball free. A bit of bashing and pushing later and the ball rolls off the pitch, to be thrown in near a Saurus but not near any of my Rats. Some more creative blocking and my Thrower runs around, scoops up the ball and passes to a GR marked by a Saurus, the GR dodges clear and runs to camp by the endzone until the clock runs out.

I'm not convinced I deserved the draw, but I guess it proves Skaven are always a threat...

mrpier
23-03-2012, 11:51 AM
two! +ST GR's

You lucky bastard! Looking forward to our match ntw, hope I get some inducement-cash for bribes...

cyberpunkdreams
23-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Well, I played Skydacer. I was excited to play my first mp match. It was pretty crazy, with lots of insane good and bad luck on both sides (although I had better luck overall) and not many players from either his rookie lizards or my rookie gobbos left on the pitch by the end of the match. Ended in a 2-2 draw.

ntw
23-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Well, I played Skydacer. I was excited to play my first mp match. It was pretty crazy, with lots of insane good and bad luck on both sides (although I had better luck overall) and not many players from either his rookie lizards or my rookie gobbos left on the pitch by the end of the match. Ended in a 2-2 draw.

Did you "host" (send the invite) or "guest" (receive the invite)? If you hosted then the only thing you need fear is, well, Cyanide. If you guested then you may still want to test that you can successfully host a game...

@ mrpier - I think your team is worth more than mine actually! Also, I didn't realise I had 2 +ST GR's until I started the match last night, I was utterly convinced that my freshly levelled GR was the only player I'd ever got a +ST on... Says a lot about my poor memory and perspective on things :S

Skydancer
23-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Sovereign Right (Dentharial - HElf) 1-1 Barebone Bareboners (Skydancer - Khe)

Quite the balanced match, implying that the first half was utterly in favor of Dent, sending half my team out and scoring, while the second half saw me scoring on the last turn (with the refree having let the clock run on a kick - I might have had time for a second td otherwise) with only two stunned elves remaining on the pitch, half the team beaten and the rest shoved out the sidelines from a wall of toilet paper.

I knew I should have used that wizard in the first half. Darn.

EDIT: Div E can roll on!

Screwie
23-03-2012, 06:38 PM

Sounds like a good game for goblins. :) Glad to see you have technical worries sorted out.

Apologies if this is ridiculously patronising but as no one else seems to have mentioned it I thought I better had: Basically, you can only apply to the Divisions of Death with a virgin team, so that particular goblin team no longer qualifies. Hope you knew that already and that was just a practise team!

---

EDIT:

Okay, a quick strategy quiz:

A pass triggers your Pass Block. Your PBer is within reach of the thrower and the catcher, but cannot reach both. Assuming that neither opponent is standing in any TZs already, what do you do? Mark the thrower, the catcher, or line yourself up in a TZ-free space in between them for an intercept?

(There are many other variables to consider of course, like skills and pass range... If it helps, assume that the only skill in play here is Pass Block and all participants have equal AG.)

cyberpunkdreams
23-03-2012, 07:03 PM
I hosted, so all should be fine.

cyberpunkdreams
23-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Yes, it was just a practice team, so no worries... I'd forgotten that I'd even set it up in fact!

Rakysh
23-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Well, in our game you went for the mark on the receiver, so that one cause you'll have to force a blitz or dodge even if you don't force the drop and can usually try for the intercept as well.

Skydancer
23-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Yeah, a pass block on a thrower would only means he gets a -1 for your TZ and not even that if he has nerves of steel. Maybe if you put it in the middle he can try to intercept with less penalties from TZ?

Janek
23-03-2012, 07:30 PM
On anything but AG4+ an intercept will only happen on a 6 anyway, so you might as well slap a TZ on the receiver if possible.

Vexing Vision
23-03-2012, 07:42 PM
If the pass is 5+, I'd slap the TZ on the Thrower in hopes of a fumble. If it's less, onwards to the receiver to at least force him to dodge after he makes the catch.

potatoedoughnut
23-03-2012, 09:44 PM
I agree with VV, if it's a lengthy pass you could mark the thrower and try to get a fumble or at least a scatter. If you can't make the pass a 5+ or 6+ roll then I'd go for the receiver. You get your intercept attempt, -1 on the catch (barring NoS), and you force the receiver to dodge away or be blitzed free.

I think standing in the middle is the least desirable unless you have a good chance at an intercept (some combination of high AGI, catch, very long legs).

Cacamas
23-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Another 1-2 loss for the Top Brass, this time to Screwie's bashy dark elves. The first half was me maintaining a solid defence and thinking "Gosh, I wish I had some sort of cage-breaker", right till the last turn when I decided to leave the right flank wide open for a blitzer to scamper through completely unhindered.

Second half, I scored a classic 2 turn TD with my thrower and catcher linking up.

So once again I defended another cage. This time, I remembered I had a wizard from inducements (!), got excited and threw a fireball, perhaps somewhat prematurely. A seriously injured runner and a KO'd guard resulted which made the rest of the drive tilt from one end to the next.
First, I managed to sack his ball carrier and got the ball back.
Next turn, my own carrier promptly got knocked over and, some elfy play later, Screwie's blodging blitzer was 2 squares away with a guard beside him.
Next turn, I thwacked his blitzer to the ground, the ball bouncing clear where my thrower could pick up and launch a pass towards my linesmen in the other half, who decided not to catch the damn thing.
Next turn, Screwie recovered the ball easily, threw a short pass to his runner who had a simple dodge to run over for the TD.

I still had 2 turns to salvage something but my catcher hurt himself when GFIing and we both were too far away to get another score. In the end, another tight game that I could've won but lost. Still, no major injuries and another game to come, so there's a bright side!

Screwie
23-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Top Brass (HElf, Cacamas) vs Dread Pool (DElf, me)

The first half was a deliberately slow slog upfield through a blizzard by the Pool, who elected to received. Top Brass exhibited excellent defensive positions and slowed the drive right down, but they couldn't find a crack in the dark elf cage thanks to Dread Pool's trio of linemen Guard bastards. A single strategic error in Brass' 7th turn whistle allowed a dark elf blitzer to cut through a gap in the defense and place the ball over the line.

The blizzard cleared up after that, but the high elves couldn't make much use of the single turn they had before the half time whistle blew.

Half time score: 1-0 to Dread Pool

The high elves received at the next kick, and this time sent their runners deep into the dark elf half. Dread Pool countered by marking the two catchers (one with a blitzer with Tackle, the other with the NoS AG 5 runner, primed to intercept) and let the Pass Block runner stand between them, while their front line dived into the high elf flank to try and reach the thrower who had strayed close to the LoS.

In an inspired tactical display, one Brass catcher dodged away from the runner to blitz the tackler marking his comrade before spinning around and pinning down the Pass Blocker. The thrower escaped the tackle zones of the dark elves brething down his neck and completed the pass to the free catcher (the dark elf runner attempted his Pass Block, but two dodges were too much and he fell short). A moment later, Top Brass had equalised.

The next drive, the high elves set up in a loose formation that covered the wings, so the dark elf side decided to push right down the middle. The cage was solid and despte some shoving, the ball remained in dark elf hands.

It was here that finally, after nearly two seasons sitting at 15/16 SPP, the Pool's Pass Block runner finally completed a pass! :D

...And then on the next turn got hit by a fireball and took a -1 MA to the knee. Damn wizards >:(

Despite this set back, the dark elves recovered the ball and kept pushing. However with fewer numbers than their opponents and one of their Guardsmen sitting out the drive with a KO from the same fireball that crippled the runner, maintaining a cage in the centre of the pitch was beginning to get tricky.

Some solid blocking from the high elves knocked the ball out of the hands of the dark elf blodger. Top Brass' thrower sent the ball on a long flight down pitch, but the lineman at the other end fumbled his catch. Dread Pool leapt on the lineman and recovered the ball, which they sent the ball flying back upfield into the waiting arms of the surviving AG 5 runner, who skipped out of the TZ around him to score Dread Pool's second goal.

There were two turns to spare, plenty of time for Top Brass to equalise. They started strong, their Accurate thrower making a quick pass to a waiting runner who made a blitz down the left flank. After knocking down the nearest blitzer, the catcher tried to position himself as far from the remaining dark elf players as he could... but in doing so lost a GFI roll and badly hurt himself.

And that was that, with no players on either side in a position to score before the ref blew his whistle.

Final score: 2-1 to Dread Pool

This was a really challenging match-up, Cacamas showed great tactical flair and I came through mainly by virtue of my players' superior skills. Very good game.

---

And for the second season in a row, it comes down to me versus Kajo for the division! Last time we fought to a draw. This should be interesting...

Rakysh
24-03-2012, 12:26 AM
I think if you two draw and I win, it'll go down to TDs.

President Weasel
24-03-2012, 02:10 AM
"I was a pass block runner like you, until I took a fireball to the knee" eh? You going to fire him?

Screwie
24-03-2012, 03:47 AM
I do not know.... I can probably afford to replace him already after the last match, but I would be throwing away a level 3 player while my team is still developing.

On the one hand he will still be useful in the short term - but on the other, the sooner I hire another MA7 runner the sooner the new guy can start earning SPPs.

Rakysh
24-03-2012, 08:23 AM
I'd at least wait and see what he rolls. If he gets an St+ or something, you'll be keeping him anyway.

Screwie
24-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Well yeah, that's a slight possibility. MA 6 isn't the end of the world, it's just a slight diminishment of efficiency. Shadowing was never on my runners' future skill lists anyhow.

Speaking of level ups, can an admin validate Div 5 Day 2 and roll it on please? :)

EDIT:

On the subject of Pass Block, I have to agree with the general consensus forming here. It seems that almost always the marking the catcher would be the best option simply for the many ways this affects the outcome - you get to apply your TZ modifier, an intercept attempt, a chance to catch a bouncing ball and potentially force a dodge too.

The thrower is maybe worth choosing if its a long pass, or the thrower has Safe Throw.

Heliocentric
24-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Shadowing is best buddies with pro. 50% chance of an extra shot at shadowing with no turnover risk. MA 6 doesn't sound so shoddy.

I've not checked but div E rollover to day 3 please.

President Weasel
24-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Disturbing presence, very long legs, extra arm - if you can roll the double for pass block.

Kajo
24-03-2012, 11:56 AM
I think if you two draw and I win, it'll go down to TDs.

That would be 3 teams paired up! :D

Screwie
24-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Shadowing is best buddies with pro. 50% chance of an extra shot at shadowing with no turnover risk. MA 6 doesn't sound so shoddy.

Ooh, not a bad idea at all. Especially since Pro also works with intercept attempts and Dump Off, I believe.

somanyrobots
25-03-2012, 08:07 PM
The Lycathropes elected to receive, with their star ghoul picking up and moving towards the scrimmage line. In a remarkable show of luck, the team's flesh golems, David Bowie and Ziggy Stardust, KO'd two Black Orcs in the first turn, and a lineman in the second. With the numbers advantage, the necros started pushing their way up the pitch, determined not to let the orcs' higher strength and armor take the bashing game. The Lycanthropes ground their way up the right side, eventually exploiting an opening to break away downfield. They then KO'd the orcs' star ST4 blitzer, and used the 11-on-7 advantage to beat up on the orcs before running in a turn 8 TD. (Although: I nearly derailed my own score with a careless turn 8 frenzy-block, using a reroll to transmute it into an injured orc. D'oh!)

The second half saw all but two orcs returning, on KO'd linesorc and one injured blitzer. The orcs caged up, moving down their left side; switched the cage over to the middle when they stalled, and then succeeded in KO'ing the indomitable David Bowie. More wrangling about the middle, and the Lycanthropes opened up a block on the ball carrier - but thanks to his Dodge, he just got himself chain pushed all the way behind the Lycanthrope lines. They reformed their cage, behind the entire Lycanthrope team, and the necros had no chance of getting enough players in to break it. Bishi Bashi Speshal scored the equalizer on turn 15. The Lycanthropes set up an aggressive passing play for their remaining two turns - then failed to pick up the ball on the first. And the throw scattered on the second, ending the game in a draw.

Bishi Bashi Speshal 1 - 1 Lucky Lycanthropes

An excellent match! Desvergeh was a very pleasant opponent, skilled and friendly. The dice felt unfair (towards me) during the game, we both agreed; checking the numbers, it seems they may have actually been a bit more even-handed than that, with a couple of short turns in the second half making up for my KO's at the start. Though BBM really doesn't emphasize the fact that Des rolled a LOT of pushes, and when he did break armor, it usually just stunned.

smaug81
25-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Div 7: Irrelevant Illnesses (Nur, me) 2 - 1 Beauty and the Beast (WE, Prester John)

Pretty much a bog standard 2-1 grind. I won the toss, elected to kick, and spent ~4 turns trying to exploit disturbing presence and prevent the elves from scoring. Prester John neatly managed to maneuver himself a clear lane down the right sideline, however, and an easy dodge and handoff saw him score the first TD of the match. Receiving with 4 turns to go, in spite of a wardancer leaping over my lines to blitz my ball carrying pestigor in the backfield, I managed to slip away and secure the ball in a cage. An unlucky turnover (double skulls from the treeman on the first action of the turn, I believe) enabled me to bash a clear path and send my pestigor forward with two rotters for escort, eventually running the ball in safely on the last turn of the half.

Receiving again, my second drive played out much like the first. A couple of casualties and a crowdpush or two thinned the elven numbers, and in spite of further attempted heroics from the wardancer (none of which were successful), the cage rumbled downfield. The wardancer eventually went off badly hurt, neutralizing the last real threat, and the game winning TD was scored in good order on the last turn of my drive.

Prester John's elves were in a bad way to start the match, with three mercenaries filling in for MNG's. On top of that, the dice really just did not favor him for one moment after I got my hands on the ball. Every shot he got at my ballcarrier resulted in a push or a skull, and the lack of rerolls seemed to tell badly on his turnover count. He fought bravely nonetheless, but fortune was not with him today. His one stroke of luck was that I only scored two casualties in the match, and both were only BH.

Better luck against your next opponent, Prester John!

Walrus
26-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Hey first time poster here. I'd be interested in joining the next season with a khemri team.

ntw
26-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Hey first time poster here. I'd be interested in joining the next season with a khemri team.

Welcome!

Looks like you've done the first two steps (posting here and adding your details to the sheet), have you played MP BB before? I only ask because if you haven't, you may find issues with hosting or joining a game.

Next season should be kicking off in about 2 weeks time, keep a close eye on this thread if you can since things tend to move fast around the start of a season...

Walrus
26-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Welcome!

Looks like you've done the first two steps (posting here and adding your details to the sheet), have you played MP BB before? I only ask because if you haven't, you may find issues with hosting or joining a game.

Next season should be kicking off in about 2 weeks time, keep a close eye on this thread if you can since things tend to move fast around the start of a season...

Yeah, no problems encountered with the multiplayer. I've only played with matchmaking though.

Screwie
26-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Can a benevolent admin please roll on Div 5 tonight? I'm not available this weekend so I'd appreciate it if I could resolve my last game in the beforehand.

groovychainsaw
26-03-2012, 10:54 AM
I'll do it if noone else has by the time I get home tonight, Screwie.

For everyone else, official end of day 2 is this Thursday, so try to get your game organised by then. I'll start moving others on as they complete their game so you can get an extra day or 2 to play your third and final game. Looks like we have some close run things across the divisions this season, should be an exciting finish for many of you!

desvergeh
26-03-2012, 01:57 PM
An excellent match! Desvergeh was a very pleasant opponent, skilled and friendly.

Maybe that was my mistake! Nuffle disapproves of friendly orc coaches!

Thanks for the game somanyrobots. Was a challenging match.

Heliocentric
26-03-2012, 02:11 PM
I have already won my league with 1 match left (lots of draws) so my zombies with 5spp will be playing a passing game... I might be needing that extra reroll.

ChainsawHands
26-03-2012, 02:34 PM
My elfy risk assessment strategy ("fuck it, it'll probably work") paid off last night with a 3-2 victory over HughTower's highly-skilled wood elf scum. It helped that he forgot to blitz with his ball carrier and just blocked instead; knocking one of my players down was not quite as good as scoring, especially when I was able to get the ball myself and score with it as a result.

One BH on each side, so a disappointingly dead elf free match.

Thanks to HughTower for the game, it was fun and could have gone either way right up until the end.

El Cubo
26-03-2012, 03:09 PM
For everyone else, official end of day 2 is this Thursday, so try to get your game organised by then. I'll start moving others on as they complete their game so you can get an extra day or 2 to play your third and final game. Looks like we have some close run things across the divisions this season, should be an exciting finish for many of you!

alh_p had to go somewhere for a couple of weeks and sadly, we didn't have a chance to play the match after all. I guess you can move the Div 7, too.

jlahnum
26-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Agathis Avengers (WElf) 1 vs. Ulf's Marauders (Cha) 2

Another action packed division F clash began with Ulf's Marauders kicking the ball to the Avengers. The Avengers quickly injured a beastman and left the Marauders surprised at how violent the wood elves had decided to be. The Avengers got the ball and easily pierced the Marauder's line with multiple players all over the back field. Their thrower stalled a bit hanging on to the ball for a few turns before throwing it off to a down field catcher and allowing the Avenger's to score leaving it 1-0 Avengers.

The Avengers kicked the ball deep to the Marauders landing it nearly in their end zone. The Marauders decided it was time to unleash the pain upon the Avengers and began a systematic campaign of beating the hell out of every elf on the field. They sent several out Ko'd and one injured. Sadly their zeal at beating up elves was not matched with their ability to get the ball and by the time they managed to pick it up and attempt a running play the final seconds of the first half had ticked away.

1-0 at halftime for the Avengers. This was a bad sign for the Marauders as they would be hard pressed now to work a 2-1 grind on the faster elves. Still the Avengers were going to be down a few players at the beginning of the second half and there was still plenty of opportunity for mayhem.

The Avengers having lost their kicker to an injury in the first half were not nearly so accurate as last time with their kick. This time landing just past mid-field and near a couple of beastmen who were thankfully able to get the ball this time. The Marauders took advantage of the Avenger's diminished numbers and proceeded to flatten everyone and everything near the line of scrimmage and opened a large hole for the cage to run up through. Despite a valiant effort from the Avengers the Marauders cage could not be stopped and managed to dump in a touchdown with plenty of time left on the clock, making it 1-1.

The Marauders now were faced with the prospect of trying to recover the ball after a kick off from the faster and more agile Avengers. There was only one way they could see to do it. They attempted an onside kick and luckily managed to drop the ball a hair over the line scrimmage at the feet of one of their deadly Chaos Warriors. The Avengers taken aback by the well placed kick were able to recover the ball but then failed to dodge out of the way of the now angry chaos warrior who'd had his ball stolen from him. He flattened the Avenger's ball carrier and the ball went rolling off to the side.

Seeing they only had one chance now a Marauder's beastman rushed over to the ball and picked it up and began running at break neck pace for the end zone. The Avengers tried to recover and stop the charge but were unable to organize a reasonable defense with so many elves laying in the injury box. With a few seconds left the Marauders scored making the final score 2-1 Marauders.

Another really good game against a skilled opponent. He did a great job of tying up my players throughout the match and making it a challenge to score on him. Unfortunately I was really lucky with my injury and KO rolls and I sent about half his line off the field. After that it was a sheer numbers game every time I got the ball. Also that onside kick was a thing of beauty and if I hadn't been so lucky with that I never would have gotten that second TD. Overall a close and well played game. Good luck to the Avengers in day 3.

Looks like Division F is ready to move forward as well.

duff
26-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Match Report: Me (delves) v Al Hutton (humans)

Fucking Cyanide.

Screwie
26-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Match Report: Me (delves) v Al Hutton (humans)

Fucking Cyanide.

Sounds like a good game.

Squiz
26-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Tea and discobiscuits, Woodelf (2lab) 1 vs. Rock, Paper, Sneaky Git, Orc (me) 1

Not much to report. It was my first game ever, therefore I am quite happy with the tie. Although the Orcs won the coin toss and chose to receive the biscuits scored pretty soon in the first half, swiflty sending me into a first panic attack. During the rest of the game the Forum Allstars tried their best to get their guts together and screen off the Elves, with mixed success.

A few KOs and one or two injuries were the outcome of a tightly scheduled blocking plan but nothing drastic ensued. Through sheer luck and Nuffle's inattentiveness the equalisation hit in turn 16.

2lab clearly was the better player here but ended up having quite a bit of bad luck. A great introduction into the Devisions nevertheless, thanks a lot for the game!

groovychainsaw
26-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Urgh - Nuffle obviously did not fancy seeing humans in the champs next season. A near perfect game from alethron left me with no chance of progression to the champs. 2-0 to his damnable high elves.

I choose to kick, hoping for a 2-1 grind. All goes well, with a textbook elfy touchdown leaving me with 5 turns to score one back. I decide not to push my catchers deep, alethron forms columns after getting to rearrange his line. I try to bash through, push, get impatient, leave a corner (slightly) open, forget that marking elves is pointless as one dodges away, takes my thrower down and the ball gets thrown by the crowd to the perfect position for his waiting catcher to scoop it up and get out of range of all my players. 2-0 to alethron. Only bit of bad luck alethron gets is at the turn 8 kickoff when there's a riot and I bash 3-4 remaining players, getting 3 more stuns and gang-fouling a catcher with 5 players but to no avail. The half ends, Alethron still with an intact team, Bullseye (my thrower) is off with broken ribs.

I get zod (str5) to pick up and cage down the pitch. Alethron forms columns. Both my catchers go off badly hurt in the first 2 turns of the second half. I have no way of dodging past the columns now and am continually outnumbered. I get one push every turn until turn 16. The game ends.

That was it, really. Nothing of note, apart from my injuries and Alethron's lovely elfy touchdowns. Alethron failed a leap on turn 16. Not a lot else went wrong for him, none of my mighty blow tackle blitzers could score so much as a KO on an av7 elf (and I did try!).

My armour rolls were awful, kept to a minimum by alethron dodging away, out of 20 rolls i rolled one 8 and one 9. I got 5 stuns all game. I rolled 25% skulls and only 7 pows out of 80 block dice. I skulled for turnovers twice. Alethron made every dodge (occasionally using a reroll to counter my tackle players) and kept stunning my players (his armour breaks were great, getting a 17 to my -11 in BBmanager). I honestly don't know how else i could have played it really, I needed Alethron to make at least one mistake, and it didn't happen. It was a wonderfully executed game-plan by alethron, great retreating columns leaving me with few options, a bit of stupidity/impatience got him the second TD, but as it was, there was no way i could score in the second half so it was moot really. I clearly need more practice against elves, I think a few armour breaks would have made all the difference but weren't happening today. A disappointing end for my humans this season, not even any levels, as I only got 1 SPP! :-)

JayTee
26-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Oh hilarity.

There we are, Grinn and I, all set to play our next match and it turns out the Spreadsheet has the wrong fixtures in it for Division 3 and we're not meant to play till next week.

D'oh.

The Brain
26-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Five level ups from my last match against DarkWeeble and not one double or skill up among them, Bah!

Heliocentric
26-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Five level ups from my last match against DarkWeeble and not one double or skill up among them, Bah!
You mean ability up right? Poor luck on that one.

HughTower
26-03-2012, 11:30 PM
My elfy risk assessment strategy ("fuck it, it'll probably work") paid off last night with a 3-2 victory over HughTower's highly-skilled wood elf scum. It helped that he forgot to blitz with his ball carrier and just blocked instead; knocking one of my players down was not quite as good as scoring, especially when I was able to get the ball myself and score with it as a result.

One BH on each side, so a disappointingly dead elf free match.

Thanks to HughTower for the game, it was fun and could have gone either way right up until the end.

Dirty pro elf w**kers.

See you in a couple of seasons. :)

Screwie
26-03-2012, 11:34 PM

2 of the 3 level ups from my last game were doubles, making that 5 doubles on 12 rolls for my dark elf team.

I didn't even want one of them, so I threw it away! :D
(It was on my runner...)

EDIT: Proofreading fail.

Heliocentric
27-03-2012, 01:15 AM
A dirty messy undead/khemra brawl.
Heliocentric's(me) Taxederm(Undead) vs Skydancer's Barebone barebones(Khemra).
The Barebones won the toss and elected to recieve, they didn't break down into brawl mode yet because of my wall of guard between 2 guard mummies, but they quickly scooped the ball and caged it.

I did my best to nip at his heels but knockout after knockout thinned me out and by turn 7 I lacked the means to even challenge their control of the ball and they walked it over the time.

The guard skill really proved its worth, I rolled 120 block dice compared to the 53 by the Khemra, and I was rewarded with a greater amount of casualties delivered, but really we both had enough spare players that the injures had little effect on the game over a KO, especially after considering the regeneration all but my ghouls possessed.

The second drive saw me lose the ball and it spill from players on both sides hands slowly up field letting me steal a turn 15 equaliser. Made a few bad moves in the choice of how I pushed during blocks and blitzes and missed crowd surf opportunities. Not faced a really bashy team like me before so it was a good learning experience, and now other game in the division is just to decide who is second and forth. I am the winner, so why do I feel like I made an arse of things.

Heliocentric's(me) Taxederm 1-1 Skydancer's Barebone barebones.

Post match, I picked up a niggling on a ghoul who also climbed to level 3, and I also took my most devastating mummy to level 3 so I eagerly await validation to see what they both get. Look forward to killing something softer next division.

potatoedoughnut
27-03-2012, 01:22 AM
So Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim is having some computer trouble and estimated that next weekend would be the earliest we'd be able to possibly play our champs match if at all. I'd rather not take a default if we can avoid it. Jim said he'd update midweek with an idea of if he'd be able to play or not (given an extension).

Squiz
27-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Strange, I just checked my team's carreer stats. I am 100% sure that during yesterday's game my Orcs caused an injury or two to the Woodelves. One of the injuries was a broken leg that got turned into a "Badly hurt" by the Elves' apothecary. However, none of my players seems to have gotten any SPPs for that. I think I even saw the "+2SPP" pop up during the game.

Anybody knows what could have caused that?

jnx
27-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Blood Bowl has been on my "must play eventually" -list for a long time now. I'd like to join in to next rounds, maybe I can learn to play before that happens :)

Zoraster
27-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Squirrel: that is perfectly normal. Games have to be validated by an admin before you'll see the fresh SPP on your players.

Squiz
27-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Squirrel: that is perfectly normal. Games have to be validated by an admin before you'll see the fresh SPP on your players.That's a relief, thanks for the info. :) Could any admin please be so good as to validate the game of 2lab and me (Division 8)?

Heliocentric
27-03-2012, 08:14 AM
That's a relief, thanks for the info. :) Could any admin please be so good as to validate the game of 2lab and me (Division 8)?
Yeah, validation is a good protection from people faking scores but it's kinda annoying.
Keep up the good work breaking those elf legs, well hobble them all in time.

Vexing Vision
27-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah, validation is a good protection from people faking scores but it's kinda annoying.

On the other hand, validation saved several games so far that went bonkers because of Cyanide or Internet. You don't want to have the long anticipated finals to a game only to disconnect in turn 2 and lose 0-2. Validation allows you to replay the game instead of hoping that maybe next time the mailman won't pull the plug.

Also, the admins are doing great. :D

Dentharial
27-03-2012, 08:43 AM
A question for the more experience coaches: Which team would you say is the most durable?

Before my first season (last season) started, I was wavering a lot on whether I really wanted to play High Elves, because the thought of playing a fragile team worried me. While I know injuries happen to everyone, the last couple of matches of being knocked down to half strength has been somewhat frustrating, and I think I'd prefer a more stable and less 'flashy' style of play.

I rather enjoyed playing a Dwarven team in single player, but we all know how much that counts for. So, Dwarves, Orcs, Undead? Ignoring the current race balance in the Divisions (since I think I'll try and stick with the High Elves for at least one season more), what team would you recommend to a beginner that wants a solid, stable team?

Heliocentric
27-03-2012, 08:44 AM
That's a relief, thanks for the info. :) Could any admin please be so good as to validate the game of 2lab and me (Division 8)?

drawlien
27-03-2012, 08:47 AM
For a beginner I would suggest Orcs. They are as durable as Dwarves, but faster so there is more leeway to make up for any positioning mistakes you make.

groovychainsaw
27-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Plus you have the str advantage with Orcs, which probably saves you more often. They are one of the easiest teams for new players to play as. Of course, I played high elves last night and didn't so much as KO one, so when they're good, they're very very good. I think technically though, dwarves are the toughest overall, thanks to AV9, thick skull and block being a common starting skill.

Heliocentric
27-03-2012, 09:10 AM
what team would you recommend to a beginner that wants a solid, stable team?
As an undead player (Necros face the same issue) ghouls are great players but fragile. All your linemen (zombies, skeletons) are exceptionally tough for the price, you'd fear a ST8 mighty blow Treeman hitting a normal linemen but a zombie? That's his job.

Wights and Mummies are tough straight out of the box but unlike zombies they are capable of earning SPP fast. Mummies earn SPP by maiming, Wights with a mixture of blocks and ball play.

Other tough teams are likely different but the risk reward of getting my terribly delicate ghouls mixed up in the brawl always tempts me.

Vexing Vision
27-03-2012, 09:45 AM
A question for the more experience coaches: Which team would you say is the most durable?

Definitely dwarfs. Some orcs are extremely durable, also, and allow for more gameplay variety. Khemri are quite hard to kill as well.

Also, due to a fluke of randomness, my Amazons only had to replace two linewomen and one thrower so far in their ~25 matches. I am sure my upcoming match with Sir Laneford will change that. So, unless you come across a Tackling Mighty Blow Piling On team, Amazons are quite durable.

President Weasel
27-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Amazons have low armour but start off with excellent protective skills (lots of block and lots and lots of dodge) making them a decent choice for a player starting off in the lower divisions with other new teams. They'll start getting hurt a lot when they run into a developed bashy team higher up the league though, and if they have the bad luck to run into dwarfs at any point.

Vexing Vision
27-03-2012, 11:30 AM
I'll face your team eventually, Sir Weasel. :)

But yeah, the low injury rate of my Amazons is absolutely due to both ridiculous armor rolls and my girls' ruthless killer instinct in my bashier matches. I am a bit concerned for my rematch versus laneford from the Championship two seasons ago - last time, one of his tacklers was injured. Here's hoping for a bloodied nose by Phill's lizards.

ChainsawHands
27-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Dirty pro elf w**kers.Dirty? I never fouled you once! ;-)

Dentharial
27-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Of course, I played high elves last night and didn't so much as KO one, so when they're good, they're very very good.

I agree with you there. I've visited both ends of the scale, and when my players aren't going down I can pull off ridiculous plays. Not to mention that as long as you have 2 elves on the field, you can potentially score. All you need is a pickup and a pass.

Nonetheless, I don't feel like I really enjoy playing with so few players on the pitch, and watching Heliocentric and Skydancer play against me was very interesting. I'm quite happy for the highs to not be so high as long as the lows aren't so low.

So maybe I'll have a try with some Orcs and Dwarves over the next few days and see how I feel.

Alistair Hutton
27-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Duffin and myself were Cyanided last night. Due to extreme busyness on my part the chance of playing before the end of the game week is now slim to non-existent. If git gets to the end of the game week then feel free to 0-0 us.

Skydancer
27-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm honored to have been a part of your risk assessment strategy!

Jiiiiim
27-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Shout out for Nurgle for living a long time - they have their four big warriors and beast that will take most blows with their extra strength and AV9, and though the others are a weaker AV8, they mostly have regenerate. If there's a 50% chance for any injury not to count, and a 16% chance that any block won't count on potentially everyone (foul appearance), they can soak up a ridiculous level of hurt. Add in claw and they can slice through dwarves.

Skydancer
27-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Shout out for Nurgle for living a long time - they have their four big warriors and beast that will take most blows with their extra strength and AV9, and though the others are a weaker AV8, they mostly have regenerate. If there's a 50% chance for any injury not to count, and a 16% chance that any block won't count on potentially everyone (foul appearance), they can soak up a ridiculous level of hurt. Add in claw and they can slice through dwarves.

This. But it's a slow start for them.

Janek
27-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Yeah, first ten games or so with Nurgle can be excruciating.

Vexing Vision
27-03-2012, 06:11 PM
I've had my first online-successes with a solid 70% win rate against randoms after 60+ games with a Lizard team. Lizards are really both - very sturdy, and very elfy. The skinks can pull of some amazing stunts, and the lizards themselves are nice and punchy and durable.

Mind you, at that point there were only eight races available.

Dark Elves are another good option if you're looking for a wee bit more armour without really slowing you down. Just don't use Witchelves or Assassins.

X_kot
27-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Last time I played Dark Elves, I suffered three injuries and a death during my first match against a Skaven team. In return, I KO'd two linerats, both of whom woke up in the second half. It was...frustrating, to say the least. The PTSD has kept me from picking them up again.

Vexing Vision
27-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Haha, my very very first match against a friend on day #1 after Cyanide's Bloodbowl came out saw me playing Woodelves versus my friend's Orcs.

He intercepted twice. I killed one of his Black Orcs and injured three others.

He never played Orcs again.

ntw
27-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Blood Bowl has been on my "must play eventually" -list for a long time now. I'd like to join in to next rounds, maybe I can learn to play before that happens :)

Bang your details in the Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0VreXc&hl=en&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=24), learn on the job ;)

Tiger Burning
27-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Heyo!

I'd like to sign up for next season, if there's space. I'm EST, but pretty flexible schedule-wise. I really like the short season format, and am looking forward to playing with new folks.

ntw
27-03-2012, 07:56 PM
we've got a few merkins in the leagues and even some convicts, I mean, uh, aussies. We've managed to get most games played despite time differences without too many problems...

Squiz
27-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Alright, Cyanide-weirdness time! ntw was so nice to verify yesterday's game. I am more than happy to announce that I've got my first level-up. Heliocentric, my trusty first Blitzer will also be the first to get a shiny new skill. :)

However, Nuffle had a finger in the pie (so to say): Via dark magix & trickery, my team was awarded two touchdowns where there should have been only one. I am deeply confused how such a thing could have happened. After a short chat with ntw we decided that there isn't much to do about this little blessing and that things stay as they are - assumed that it is ok with everyone else.

Screwie
27-03-2012, 09:10 PM
I've tried to get in touch with Sendmark for our Div 8 game (left message in Groups, tried to add him no Steam, sent him a PM) but to no avail. I read that in his last match there were tchnical issues so I'm not sure if he's dropped out as a result.

Anyway, Squirrelfanatic and I are due to meet for Day 3 but both of us have a lot more time this week than next to fit the match in. Can we call time on my match vs Sendmark a couple of days early? I'll conceed a default to him if that makes it easier.

Squiz
27-03-2012, 09:42 PM
To be precise, I could play tomorrow (Wednesday) or the day after, then I am away until after Easter... So it would be sweet if Day 3 would start early for us.

Heliocentric
27-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Alright, Cyanide-weirdness time! ntw was so nice to verify yesterday's game. I am more than happy to announce that I've got my first level-up. Heliocentric, my trusty first Blitzer will also be the first to get a shiny new skill. :)

Sorry, I've been hacking

Eard
28-03-2012, 02:21 AM
Hello! I have mangled the sheet as best I could and signed up. Haven't actually made the team yet, and not 100% solid on Chaos choice, but I figured I better put something down.

In conclusion, 2lab is terrible.

Squiz
28-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Sorry, I've been hackingDidn't I tell you to be careful with the bribes? Now you blow mightily.

Heliocentric
28-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Now you blow mightily.

It's has been said... No, wait!
That's what she said?

ntw
28-03-2012, 09:44 AM

However, Nuffle had a finger in the pie (so to say): Via dark magix & trickery, my team was awarded two touchdowns where there should have been only one. I am deeply confused how such a thing could have happened. After a short chat with ntw we decided that there isn't much to do about this little blessing and that things stay as they are - assumed that it is ok with everyone else.

To clarify - it appears that sf's team has been awarded a total of 21SPPs, but we can only account for 18 of them (injuries, MVP's & TD's) which suggests that a rogue TD has crept in there somewhere...my personal theory as to the cause of this basic mathematic failure is "Cyanide".

It was only noticeable/obvious due to the fact that it is a brand new team with two matches played - one administrative draw and one draw. I suspect it may have occurred more frequently than we know, but I also suspect we'll just have to say "Cyanide" and get on with it as if nothing had happened...

ChainsawHands
28-03-2012, 10:04 AM
It's has been said... No, wait!
That's what she said?I think the RPS-approved joke you're looking for is "and in the game".

Heliocentric
28-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I know I'm a hypocrite because my mummies come preloaded with a mighty blow deep filled crust but- What is the big deal with everyone's mighty blow addiction? It's a thick skull tier ability in terms of my gameplan, and to think people take it ahead of guard or blodge blows my mind.

I think the RPS-approved joke you're looking for is "and in the game".

Yes, absolutely, maximum strength apologies.

groovychainsaw
28-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Mighty blow helps level up bashy players faster. Simple as that - if they're not a scoring threat then 2SPPs for an injury is the best they are likely to get in a game. Mighty blow gives you better odds of scoring that injury and getting to the higher levels quicker. It also gives you the obvious numerical advantage when it works (and gets better the more offensive your player becomes).

Ritashi
28-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I have a question relating to the promotion rules - what happens if we have a triangular tie for first? This is a distinct possibility in Div 6, pending results of the final games obviously. As it currently stands (I've replaced team names with letters for simplicity):

A: 2-0
B: 1-1
C: 1-1
D: 0-2
The final matchups:
AvB
CvD

As you can see, if B beats A and C beats D, we will have a three-way tie of six points each (a 2-1 record). However, earlier in the season A beat C, but C beat B. If B beats A, then the normal check of direct W/L comparison will result in an infinite loop. Checking the next highest will similarly give no meaningful results. And since everyone would have beaten D, checking the lowest ranked team will be just as unhelpful. Would we simply go to a tiebreaker on TD + Cas margins? Since I'm team A, I hope this situation doesn't come up (anything better than a loss against B secures me the promotion on points alone), but since the rules don't exactly cover this situation I figured it was probably worth looking into.

As another curiosity, what happens if a winner cannot be decided upon even after the TD + Cas margin check? Also assuming that there aren't any dropouts above them, as I'd assume that tying for first by that close of a margin makes you a prime candidate for getting any extra promotions from dropouts. Does it go to TV, career stats, FF, or perhaps just a coin flip? That's just a curiosity, but I tend to like to point out potential loopholes in rule sets, a hobby of mine you could say. Also defining them early can avoid a lot of arguments on the off chance they actually do come up.

Zoraster
28-03-2012, 01:15 PM
To clarify - it appears that sf's team has been awarded a total of 21SPPs, but we can only account for 18 of them (injuries, MVP's & TD's) which suggests that a rogue TD has crept in there somewhere...my personal theory as to the cause of this basic mathematic failure is "Cyanide".

Nothing wrong there at all. He has two TDs after a 1-1 draw and an admin tie, exactly as it should be. I think you guys are still getting confused about admin results. It doesn't matter what score you set teams will always get one TD and an MVP from a tie or two of each from a win.

Heliocentric
28-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Re-requesting validation of a league E match between myself and skydancer.

ChainsawHands
28-03-2012, 01:30 PM
I have a question relating to the promotion rulesThe most merciful thing in the promotion rules, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all their contents.

ntw
I have a question relating to the promotion rules - what happens if we have a triangular tie for first? This is a distinct possibility in Div 6, pending results of the final games obviously. As it currently stands (I've replaced team names with letters for simplicity):

A: 2-0
B: 1-1
C: 1-1
D: 0-2
The final matchups:
AvB
CvD

As you can see, if B beats A and C beats D, we will have a three-way tie of six points each (a 2-1 record). However, earlier in the season A beat C, but C beat B. If B beats A, then the normal check of direct W/L comparison will result in an infinite loop. Checking the next highest will similarly give no meaningful results. And since everyone would have beaten D, checking the lowest ranked team will be just as unhelpful. Would we simply go to a tiebreaker on TD + Cas margins? Since I'm team A, I hope this situation doesn't come up (anything better than a loss against B secures me the promotion on points alone), but since the rules don't exactly cover this situation I figured it was probably worth looking into.

As another curiosity, what happens if a winner cannot be decided upon even after the TD + Cas margin check? Also assuming that there aren't any dropouts above them, as I'd assume that tying for first by that close of a margin makes you a prime candidate for getting any extra promotions from dropouts. Does it go to TV, career stats, FF, or perhaps just a coin flip? That's just a curiosity, but I tend to like to point out potential loopholes in rule sets, a hobby of mine you could say. Also defining them early can avoid a lot of arguments on the off chance they actually do come up.

This is already covered in the rules on the sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0VreXc&hl=en&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=36). CAS+TD is the next decider, followed by TV as a last resort.

/High five's GC

groovychainsaw
Hi Ritashi, we've had this exact scenario happen several times before. It is laid out in the rules, and you're correct in your assessment. In a 3-way tie there's no easy way to separate you so it will go to combined TD+Cas difference. If that then fails to separate you, promotion will go to the highest TV team. We've never had it go down to highest TV, although we've come close. Obviously, in any sort of tie, I'd be looking at 2nd and 3rd for additional promotion opportunities in case of a drop out (I always look for the next highest points across both sides of the divisions when doing this anyway). Does that help? I don't think the TV tiebreak was clear in the rules, so I added a line to make that clearer, I know it was what we agreed on originally.

(Interesting fact - the reason we run separate divisions in the first place rather than one league in cyanide's system was to let us control the promotions - if it was down to cyanide, tiebreaks would ALWAYS be on TV, which would be pretty rubbish)

/Edit - Tag-Teamed by myself and NTW, you're privileged Ritashi! :-)
/High five's ntw

ntw
28-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Nothing wrong there at all. He has two TDs after a 1-1 draw and an admin tie, exactly as it should be. I think you guys are still getting confused about admin results. It doesn't matter what score you set teams will always get one TD and an MVP from a tie or two of each from a win.

but, that's crazy!

CYANIDE!