PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The many, many Divisions of Death!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

potatoedoughnut
11-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Despite only playing (or maybe because of only playing) one game last season I get to hang around in the champs again!

Squiz
11-04-2012, 07:32 PM
They had about 15 games and had reached div A, so, uh. Yeah. Small amount of inducements there :P400k to be precise.

Vexing Vision
11-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Despite only playing (or maybe because of only playing) one game last season I get to hang around in the champs again!

Don't worry. I hear they let ANYONE in these days.

Heliocentric
11-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Applied to D, I'm going to be facing the divisions manager? Corruption afoot!

MadDave123
11-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Ooooh, I've gone from Div 3 to Div C. Not sure if that's a demotion by stealth, but I'll take it. I've applied btw.

Meanwhile, what does one do when they have 500k in the treasury?

Heliocentric
11-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Meanwhile, what does one do when they have 500k in the treasury?Epic numbers of cheer leaders

Skydancer
11-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Keep it for the upcoming spiralling expenses. Grab a cheerleader or two and a couple coaches.

Squiz
12-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Grab a cheerleader or two and a couple coaches.Don't these add to the team value? I think they are not really worth it considering what your opponents gain in inducements. In my oppinion it would be better to just leave the gold in the treasury, it surely will be put to some use when players get injuries / get killed.

Vexing Vision
12-04-2012, 05:24 AM
I'd always grab 2 or 3 cheerleaders and coaches for cheap teams. My team is pretty consistently at around ~1700 TV, which means I'm getting 400k inducements anyway. And cheerleaders and coaches are an excellent way of stealing free rerolls from the opponent. A reroll is usually worth around 100k for most teams, so investing up to 50k for a chance to steal one is a good call. (a reroll-generating event has a 35% chance to pop up, and with at least three drives in most games, it's a given).

The question is what you do with 700k in the treasury when you already have bought a few coaches and cheerleaders... I'm thoroughly tempted to start throwing inducement-money into the ring, but since I've been the lowest TV team for the past 5 seasons in my respective Divisions, even that's not feasible. :/

I wish I could start offering bounties. There are a few players I would like to see viciously die. :D

Squiz
12-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Well, of course different teams perform differently with varying team value. My oppinion is that you could just as well induce the extra team training.

Skydancer
12-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Yes but coaches and cheerleaders are yours forever once bought. If I had a spare 100k in inducement I'd prefer to spend it on babes really.

Jiiiiim
12-04-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm sure you can fire them. You should be able to fire them. CYANIDE.

Skydancer
12-04-2012, 09:31 AM
You are, but that would be a waste of money unless you REALLY want to drop your TV (each coach/cheerleader is 10 TV).

Ritashi
12-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Blood Bowl trivia of the day: The original concept of the petty cash / bank system, unanimously approved by the BBRC for LRB 5 but vetoed by Jarvis, was designed in part to deal with the issue of teams accruing far more gold than they really want to spend. The original version of the rule allowed you to store up to 100k in the bank, but anything in your treasury beyond that amount was petty cash - which adds to your TV. So under this version of the rule you would have incentive to just burn some of your huge treasury away by purchasing inducements, and you would not be penalized for doing so - that money would already be adding to your TV whether you chose to spend it this time or not.

Janek
12-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah I'm still mystified by the dropping of the bank rule, it's an elegant halfway house between the current system (which is strongly in favour of teams with high AV and/or regen) and the brutality of LRB4's TR system (where all money counted towards the TR)

ntw
12-04-2012, 03:10 PM
On this: Should I be bringing back the team I went on Hiatus with, or a newer, more evil team?

My opinion - I'm guessing GC forgot you already have a developed team. IMHO you should stick with your DElfs and expect to be first choice to be punted up divisions if there is a gap opening higher up...

ntw
12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Applied to D, I'm going to be facing the divisions manager? Corruption afoot!

I can only assume you are referring to me, and if so - then you do me an honour sir, I am but a mere vestigial appendage on our mighty and brave leader, the noble GroovyChainsaw. Also I fix the spreadsheet when it breaks.

LowKey
12-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Ohh, to be but a part of that groovy body

groovychainsaw
12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Gah - as usual I miss something - as a returning player I should have slotted you into a higher position where someone else was leaving null (jaytee's slot in division 3 would have been ideal). I thought you were rebooting for some reason... I'd prefer it if your dark elves werent murdering folks in division 7 so I'll try to see what I can do (via a weak wifi signal) tonight. There might not be much, but I'll take a quick look ;)

wink5000
12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Hello. Whats the current schedule when new teams are getting on board?

Dentharial
12-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Many years ago, the orcish lands were in terrible peril. There was far too little fighting going on, and far too many pretty flowers growing. To put an end to this dire state of events, a number of heroes banded together from disparate tribes to form Da Blu Moonz, a superorc team that travelled the lands heroically causing chaos and bashing heads.

Once turmoil and strife had properly returned, Da Blu Moonz disappeared with nobody really knowing who they were or where they came from. Occasionally, they would reappear, go on an extremely important mindless rampage, and then vanish once again.

Now, at last, they have emerged from the shadows to challenge the Divisions of Death, and have couragously applied to Division G.

President Weasel
12-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Hello. Whats the current schedule when new teams are getting on board?

The new season is just getting started so you might be able to get on board for this season - it depends how many people drop out or how many more show up. I *think* as it stands there are enough people to fill all the divisions, then one left over, then you would be the second 'spare' player. So if two people drop out, or fail to appear in time to apply to their divisions, Groovy would be able to squeeze you two into slots - or if everyone shows up plus two more players appear, Groovy could make another division for you (there are four players in each division).

Or alternatively, if there are three 'spare', we can usually find someone who's happy to play a filler team for a season to make up the numbers.

Zoraster
12-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Groovy if the coaches down there aren't happy with facing Nullk's mob and you can't find any other options feel free to swap him with my lads in Div 3 (they are only two seasons old after I replaced an early season drop out).

I would reiterate to the guys down there though that TV gaps are largely meaningless in CRP. Ability to leverage inducements is a core skill worth learning.

Vexing Vision
12-04-2012, 06:31 PM
I would reiterate to the guys down there though that TV gaps are largely meaningless in CRP. Ability to leverage inducements is a core skill worth learning.

I can only most sincerely agree with that. I've been facing ONE same-TV match in the past five seasons - and have been doing reasonably well, with inducements for me always between 150k and 350k.

Jiiiiim
12-04-2012, 07:19 PM
I think there's a limit to how far inducements get you - if you're playing against a very new team then they just won't bridge the gap enough, but yeah anything up to 400-500 is perfectly bridgeable, gives you a nice set of options depending on the opposition.

Zoraster
12-04-2012, 08:03 PM
I'd accept that on Cyanide as they've left some pretty huge holes in utility by leaving out the stars that people use in favour of the ones no one ever takes (seriously who ever uses Headsplitter or Icepelt on TT?) but not in a proper CRP environment. Now with a fair bit of CRP experience behind us my league is actually looking to nerf inducements. The BBRC's 33%ish target for underdogs seems to have been missed by some margin when coaches are well versed in inducement strategy. In our league underdogs actually have the higher win percentage, and that seems pretty consistent at all stages, from rookie teams taking on the TV2000+ veterans through to the typical gaps in normal high TV league play.

DWZippy
12-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Division G is going to be an utter scorathon!

Alistair Hutton
12-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Welfs, Dworfses and f'in' Nurgle Oh Division B how I hate thee.

Haven't applied yet, keeps slipping my mind.

Gorm
13-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Div F might give you a run for your money DW, its Skaven, Wood Elves, Pro Elves and Humans.

mrpier
13-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Internet down at home, so haven't been able to apply to Div. 3 yet, but I'll get there.

Squiz
13-04-2012, 07:30 PM
I'd accept that on Cyanide as they've left some pretty huge holes in utility by leaving out the stars that people use in favour of the ones no one ever takes (seriously who ever uses Headsplitter or Icepelt on TT?) but not in a proper CRP environment.It really is pretty annoying that so many of the Star Players have been left out of the game as some races (Skaven come to mind) rely pretty heavily on those extra hands (or paws) to help them out when being the underdog.

It's sad to see that Cyanide have wasted the opportunity to include more than 2 or 3 new SP guys in the new updated version. After all, they intend to charge money for that again.

NieA7
14-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Applied to Div 2, which is exactly the same as it was season before last - same coaches, same teams. This time I'll win though, for now I have the untold power of block zombie!

Screwie
14-04-2012, 02:37 PM
It really is pretty annoying that so many of the Star Players have been left out of the game as some races (Skaven come to mind) rely pretty heavily on those extra hands (or paws) to help them out when being the underdog.

Skaven and Chaos are the hardest hit, I think. Skaven's most useful star players are nowhere to be seen and Chaos doesn't have anyone they can hire for less than 300k right now, which is crazy.

Aside from that I would love to see the effect of Secret Weapon proliferation on the game if all the SW star players were added.

Also I miss the unspectacular but generally useful blitzer/blocker star players like Hubris, Zug, Roxanna, etc.

Squiz
14-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Soooo, how are things progressing with the applications?

Heliocentric
14-04-2012, 04:02 PM
I applied but have not yet (as of yesterday evening) been accepted in D so it's likely not that low yet.

Alistair Hutton
14-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Applyinated.

Squiz
14-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Yeah, Div 7 hasn't been resolved yet either, obviously.

Kajo
14-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Applied but still undivisioned

potatoedoughnut
14-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Soooo, how are things progressing with the applications?

As usual the answer is: spreadsheet!

There is a "season status" tab on the spreadsheet where the admins keep track of which divisions still need apps (since the last time they checked). And it usually takes about a week or so to get all the applications in and get things moving, so don't start getting too impatient yet :)

Oh, and applications get accepted from top down (starting w/ champs, 1/A, 2/B, etc), so in general things won't get accepted until (mostly) everyone has applied.

Squiz
14-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks potatoe, I had checked the spreadsheet a few days ago when the old season 17 information was still present and therefore assumed that it was out of date anyways. I'm not unpatient (yet!), my post was merely born out of curiosity.

chadsexington
15-04-2012, 06:28 AM
I'd like to get in on this as well. How soon until the next season starts, and is there a FAQ for new teams?

groovychainsaw
15-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Hi all, I'm back and see we're pretty close to starting the new season. Just missing now:

Div 1 - Duff
Div 3 - Mr Pier
Div 5 - Kapouille
Div 6 - Cacamas and El_Cubo
Div 8 - Xenny
Div A - Hughtower

I've updated the season status tab, too ;-)

All other divisions are waiting on those above to get started. I was hoping we could get going today, so hopefully the remaining few can get their applications in today?

New guys (DaMark and chadsexington) - we might have enough of you new peoples now to add in an extra division. If not everyone turns up, then new guys will fill in in order of application on the sheet (N1,N2 next to you names on the spreadsheet indicates this). If everyone does turn up, there's 3 of you, so as long as one of our old hands is willing to stick a filler team in there with you, you can apply for division 8. Keep a close eye in here today and tomorrow and we'll see what we can do to squeeze you into this season. If you need more information for now, take a look at our Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0Vre Xc&authkey=CLqFqKgH&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=24) which hopefully explains most of how we run our season etc.

Kajo
15-04-2012, 10:35 AM
I'd like to get in on this as well. How soon until the next season starts, and is there a FAQ for new teams?

Every info is in the spreadsheet:

spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0VreXc&hl=en&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=36)

And you MAY be able to jump up in this season

President Weasel
15-04-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm willing to do a filler team this season. I'm even willing to do a brand new filler team, and to avoid the bashy ones. How about pro elfs?

Squiz
15-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Hey everyone, yesterday I stumbled across a small problem that I hope somebody can help me with. In order to try out a few things with my team setup, I used the BB Single Player mode and played a match with a new 1000 TV team (11 players) against a 1300 TV computer AI (yeah, I know...). For inducements, I chose an additional journeyman player. Then during team setup before kick-off 11 players appeared on the pitch (as it should be) but there was no extra guy for exchange on the sidelines (or "backline"). Does anybody know if this is intended or a bug? I found nothing in the rulebook that could explain the disappearance of the 12th man.

duff
15-04-2012, 12:31 PM
That's a bug I've seen in multiplayer a few times. It really sucks when it happens in the second half of a close game.

Squiz
15-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks duff, this then is something to be very careful with if you are planning to base your strategy around getting a deeper bench via inducements. Hopefully this will be fixed in future patches.

Wolfenswan
15-04-2012, 01:09 PM
It's one of the reasons why i tend to not buy Zara anymore. In 3 of 4 games I use her that placing bug happens and I start the game with a fucked up positioning.

NieA7
15-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Occasionally selecting one of the preset layouts can bring vanished people back.

El Cubo
15-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi all, I'm back and see we're pretty close to starting the new season. Just missing now:

Div 6 - Cacamas and El_Cubo

Oh, uh, what do I have to do?

Skydancer
15-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Apply in game to Div 6!

El Cubo
15-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Apply in game to Div 6!

Done&Done!

Squiz
15-04-2012, 04:41 PM
It's one of the reasons why i tend to not buy Zara anymore. In 3 of 4 games I use her that placing bug happens and I start the game with a fucked up positioning.Hm, what is the current way of dealing with this situation? Are the games restarted until the bug doesn't occur anymore? Would a game have to be validated if the underdog had bad luck with his setup?

Vexing Vision
15-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Hm, what is the current way of dealing with this situation? Are the games restarted until the bug doesn't occur anymore? Would a game have to be validated if the underdog had bad luck with his setup?

Simply use one of the preset positionings. The missing players will show up again.

Zoraster
15-04-2012, 05:07 PM
It is dealt with by coaches not clicking or mousing over players before setting up. The bug is avoidable for everyone bar goblin coaches... well unless Cyanide have 'fixed' it in the latest patches :)

You will have the occassional player you can't sub out which is annoying but you should never have to deal with a missing player providing you can control your mouse. Note the skills on your opponents players before the game rather than during set up and you shouldn't have any issue.

Squiz
15-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the tips. Ok, the player turns up in the exchange bocks after setup. Now, how do I exchange the players on the pitch with my reserves during setup? For example, in my case, a Black Orc Blocker gets ejected and I need him in my first drive. Instead, I would like a Lineorc to sit out.

Skydancer
15-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Click on the reserve (top right), right click on the one you want switched.

Squiz
15-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Merci. :)

ten chars

groovychainsaw
15-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Right, I've pm'd all our remaining missing players. MrPier mentioned he was having internet troubles so I'm willing to delay division 3's start slightly to accommodate him, but the others need to get their applications in ASAP. I'll be starting the divisions that are filled tomorrow night, and may start filling in people's places then, too, if we don't hear from those who are missing (either to me via pm or in here, i don't mind!). Hopefully we can get everyone going tomorrow night.

'night all ;-)

HughTower
16-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Right, I've pm'd all our remaining missing players. MrPier mentioned he was having internet troubles so I'm willing to delay division 3's start slightly to accommodate him, but the others need to get their applications in ASAP. I'll be starting the divisions that are filled tomorrow night, and may start filling in people's places then, too, if we don't hear from those who are missing (either to me via pm or in here, i don't mind!). Hopefully we can get everyone going tomorrow night.

'night all ;-)

Apologies, I'm housesitting and away from my PC for a week or so. Weasel - would you log me in old chap? Shall I just send you my deets via PM?

President Weasel
16-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Apologies, I'm housesitting and away from my PC for a week or so. Weasel - would you log me in old chap? Shall I just send you my deets via PM?

No bother, HT.

duff
16-04-2012, 05:54 PM
It is dealt with by coaches not clicking or mousing over players before setting up. The bug is avoidable for everyone bar goblin coaches... well unless Cyanide have 'fixed' it in the latest patches :)

You will have the occassional player you can't sub out which is annoying but you should never have to deal with a missing player providing you can control your mouse. Note the skills on your opponents players before the game rather than during set up and you shouldn't have any issue.

Oh wow I didn't know that. This info needs to go on the spreadsheet I think, and tatooed on the back of every admin.

Kapouille
16-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Hopefully we can get everyone going tomorrow night.

Sorry, been on and about in those last 2 weeks, will apply to div 5 tonight!

Heliocentric
16-04-2012, 06:44 PM
I know you feel like you've
been drinking a few kegs of
Bloodwiser, but you need to
CENTER yourself. Among your
possessions is a SPREADSHEET
that'll shed some light on the dark of the matter. JIIIIIM
can fill you in on the rest of the
chant, if he's not in the dead-
book already. Don't lose the spreadsheet or we'll
be up the Styx again. And
whatever you do, DO NOT tell
anyone WHO you are or WHAT
happens to you, or they'll put
you on a quick pilgrimage to BB Tactics. Do what I
tell you: READ the spreadsheet, then
FIND Jiiiiim.
Don't trust the dice.

Tom OBedlam
16-04-2012, 06:50 PM
I know you feel like you've
been drinking a few kegs of
Bloodwiser, but you need to
CENTER yourself. Among your
possessions is a SPREADSHEET
that'll shed some light on the dark of the matter. JIIIIIM
can fill you in on the rest of the
chant, if he's not in the dead-
book already. Don't lose the spreadsheet or we'll
be up the Styx again. And
whatever you do, DO NOT tell
anyone WHO you are or WHAT
happens to you, or they'll put
you on a quick pilgrimage to BB Tactics. Do what I
tell you: READ the spreadsheet, then
FIND Jiiiiim.
Don't trust the dice.

Follow these words and *know* that you are a member of the Divisions of Death

Vexing Vision
16-04-2012, 07:34 PM
I love you both in the most manly fashion possible.

2lab
16-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Are we there yet?

President Weasel
16-04-2012, 08:14 PM
I still need to get Hughtower's deets and then sign him up.
However, Groovy/ntw, I think this is a special case and you can continue to fill the Divisions below, as you know HT is going to show up for definites. In fact, it looks like once Kapouille signs up (tonight, by the looks of it), everything down to 5/E could theoretically be started (with A on hold until I get the login details, but you know you won't need to rearrange the other divs to fill the hole).
Or maybe you were fully aware of this and this post was unhelpful :)

groovychainsaw
16-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Not quite, everything down to D is go, barring 3, which will have a delayed start to give mrpier a chance to recover from internet troubles, and A, but we've heard from Hughtower above so hopefully he'll get in touch tonight (I can also log you in if you think I'm trustworthy hugh ;-)). Kapouille is still missing but has said he'll apply tonight. Cacamas and Xenny I haven't heard from, so might need to put some of our new guys in/reshuffle slightly, so I'm holding off on the lower divisions until I'm sure a bit later. Hopefully everyone will be going by the end of the evening.

President Weasel
16-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Hah, pretty pointless indeed since Groovy was not only aware but in fact typing that exact information.

Speaking of the new guys, let me know if you need a filler team this season to make up the numbers. Wood elfs with no treeman, perhaps, or pro elfs. Or skaven if I promise not to bring a rat ogre?

aerisdead
16-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Ooh er,

Is there still time to sign up for the new season? I just installed Blood Bowl LE last night, had a quick go to get used to it but haven't tried playing online yet and stuff to get everything set up. I can put myself into the spreadsheet when I get home tonight? (I'm in EST, you see.)

groovychainsaw
16-04-2012, 08:29 PM
There might well be aerisdead, I'm sorting it all out tonight, I have no idea if there'll be a space/division at the bottom yet until I know for sure who is a no-show or not, but I'll do what I can to squeeze in all the new guys if you can get your application in sharpish once assigned?

@PW - any agi team with no bashy big fella would be perfectly appropriate (and should be quite fun for you, too).

President Weasel
16-04-2012, 08:31 PM
The answer isn't "definitely not". It'll depend how many people there are who Groovy hasn't fitted into a Division yet. If it turns out there are two or three 'leftovers' you'd be a godsend as that would make it a lot easier to make another Division. If there's none or one, you'd probably have to wait until next season.

edit: Hah, I should just let the man answer his own questions this evening.

aerisdead
16-04-2012, 08:36 PM
OK. I just shoved myself into the spreadsheet quickly, is that all I need to do for the application? I'll join the steam group now, if I can.

Fingers crossed!

edit: OK, joined the steam group and the RPS forum group too.

Heliocentric
16-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Ahah bring a rat ogre, they are a great source of vitamin SPP.

groovychainsaw
16-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Right, everyone is in and started apart from Hughtower and Mrpier. Xenny is awol so has lost his slot in div 8 to... Mr Joose.

7 hasn't quite been started yet as if mrpier vanishes, nullkigan would be a good candidate to take his place so I'm holding off for now. I'm hoping hugh will pass either PW or myself his details shortly ;-).

The remaining new guys - there are three of you! So if you're still interested and paying attention, apply to div H in-game, along with Pw's filler team to make up the new division. Any other gaps that I've missed, we'll throw in a filler team, too.

Everyone else, get playing -SEASON STARTS NOW!!!

Please check all 3 fixtures before you start as I'm pretty tired and cyanide as usual wasn't showing me any changes i was making so I was having to do it from memory. It's like one of those ball and cup games where you keep shuffling the players, and have to remember which cup each player was under or something. Thanks, Cyanide!

President Weasel
16-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Deets receivenated!
Tiny Dancers applyinised!

Also applied for Div H with a new skaven team I had lying around, the Rat Badstars (don't worry, no rat ogre).

Also, updated the spreadsheet by putting H next to the H-ers. Looks like we need a spreadsheet whizz to add Div H to fixtures and results though - does this mean that this season is the Biggest Ever Divisions of Death, Ever?

chadsexington
16-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Applied to division H with a fodder team

2lab
17-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Applied to division H with a fodder team

Isn't that what all your teams are?

Xenny
17-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Hi,

It seems I didn't Division 8 group (I applied for the forum sub-group a few days ago, but not the BB one as well... I didn't realise that was necessary yet, but I'm doing it now) in time. Is there still time to get into the league?

thanks,
Xenny

(Hers, not his, by the way!)

President Weasel
17-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Looks like you missed your spot, but I am happy to withdraw my filler team in your favour. Division H is effectively the same anyway. I'd suggest the simplest thing would be for you to apply to Division H instead of 8, that way no other changes need to be made.

(password is "chainsawed" just like all the rest)

Xenny
17-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Sounds good, thank you!

cyberpunkdreams
17-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Well, I, for one, am excited about getting stuck into my first season. I'm also excited by the coming of Dungeonbowl. I always preferred it when I used to play tabletop back in the day.

20phoenix
17-04-2012, 04:05 AM
Dont know if i'm being stupid but how do I post in the game organising section - couldnt see a post option anywhere

El Cubo
17-04-2012, 05:19 AM
Dont know if i'm being stupid but how do I post in the game organising section - couldnt see a post option anywhere

I think your application needs to be accepted or something before you can actually reply. I also had trouble finding the reply button when I started but then I found it. Any way, you can't reply to a specific post there, you have to use the quick reply or the big red reply button.

aerisdead
17-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Alright fellows,

I've applied to join division H! Hope it fills!

Vexing Vision
17-04-2012, 07:28 AM
I for one, welcome our new fresh-meat overlords, while I sit and quaver in fear from potatoedoughnut's insane Amazon-killing Werewolves. Why didn't anyone manage to kill those beasts before they turned level 5? How many additional apothecaries can I bring again?

Squiz
17-04-2012, 08:08 AM
I for one, welcome our new fresh-meat overlords, while I sit and quaver in fear from potatoedoughnut's insane Amazon-killing Werewolves. Why didn't anyone manage to kill those beasts before they turned level 5? How many additional apothecaries can I bring again?Think positive: At least you are safe from their claws.

HughTower
17-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Thankingyouverymuch for your assistance, Presidentgroovychainweasel. I literally wouldn't be here without you.

MrJoose
17-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Woo! I've applied and EVERYTHING. I think. The game client is giving me no indication that anything has happened, but I'm pretty sure I pressed the right buttons :/

X_kot
17-04-2012, 08:55 AM
(Ogr, X_kot) The Knuckle Heads 0 - 2 Wayward Gladiators (Nor, El Cubo)

The opening match of the season saw a clash between Nordic and Ogrish brawn, and the stadium managers were thankful they shipped in additional medical staff. Three injuries a side, along with one dead snotling and two dead Norse lineman (one was a free agent...at least he perished doing what he loved), brought the crowd to their feet for the entire match. Physical plays dominated the highlight reel, including one Nordic rush that saw two ogres knocked to the pitch and stunned almost simultaneously. After making quick work of the opposition, the Gladiators walked the ball in for a 1-0 lead less than a quarter of the way into the game.

The Knuckle Heads received the return kick and attempted to equalize. A brawl ensued at half-field, preventing the ogres from advancing in force. Snotling after snotling were sent skyward in an attempt to a) get the ball or, failing that, b) injure random players; however, even a brave blitz by #02 Grug the Bulg through a tackle zone could not wrest control away from the Nords at the end of the first half.

By the opening of the second half, both teams were down four players (one particularly well-armored linesman had slipped on a pool of bile and snapped his spine in half). The Knuckle Heads pushed ahead, and the Gladiators hit their left flank hard. This gave the runningback snotling #06 Ruzek Windbreaker the chance to dash to the wide right zone and hand off to #07 Nmatub Murshroomgas (of the prestigious High Ridge Murshroomgas clan). Their ogre teammates managed to concentrate long enough to assemble themselves in what amounted to a defense. However, Gladiator #02 Xeno would not fall prey to a simple paradox, and he managed to move from Point A to Point Snot, freeing the ball and ensuring a Norse victory.

This was a brutal game, and El Cubo ran a clean, tight playbook. I got to toss gobbos around, so that was entertaining. Well played!

groovychainsaw
17-04-2012, 08:57 AM
I may have to get in and still accept a few applications before the remaining divisions can get going (particularly the new division!) - I'll do that tonight unless another admin gets there first.

Xenny! Like PW said, apply for H and we'll fit you in there, wasn't trying to lose you, just trying to get us all going as quickly as possible :-). We've had a fair number of new people forget or lose interest before their first match in previous seasons, so I tend to be pretty brutal with those deadlines!

For everyone, if you add 'daily/instant email alerts' to this thread (at the top, under 'thread tools'-> 'subscribe to this thread') it'll help keep you up to speed (I couldn't manage this without them!)

PW - keep that skaven team on standby just in case I've missed something and we still have a space somewhere, I know we're missing mrpier from div 3 still and I haven't started 7 as null could get a bump...

/Edit - think i fixed the sheet - ntw, it's probably worth checking I haven't mangled it ;-)

ntw
17-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Christ on a bike - X_kot and El Cubo are keen!

I'm really busy at work with a new job which started on *SUNDAY* April 1st (hence my uncharacteristic lack of posting recently) - I literally haven't stopped since, but from a quick look at the sheet it all looks good to me.

Squiz
17-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Dear Nuffle,

please fix mrpier's internet connection.

Thanks
a fan

P.S.: You better be quick about it.

El Cubo
17-04-2012, 10:22 AM
(Ogr, X_kot) The Knuckle Heads 0 - 2 Wayward Gladiators (Nor, El Cubo)

It's always nice to play against ogres. It's easy to overlook them, but snotlings are surprisingly able players. Although, against a block-heavy team such as Norse, they go down frustratingly easily. Still, I think I was lucky that the armor of the Gladiators kept up as well as it did. The dice were loaded with knockdown inducing results and I had to sacrifice players to tie down the ogres.

---

The irony of this team is that so far the most well protected norsemen have suffered the most casualties: -st for an ulf, -ma for a blodging berzerker and a death for an av8 lineman. Two of these were failed GFIs and when an apothecary was used, on both occasions he offered to end the patient's misery altogether! I think I should concentrate more on the offense. Frenzy for the whole lot of them from now on!

mrpier
17-04-2012, 10:41 AM
My connection should be up again tonight, if the internet gods are just.

ntw
17-04-2012, 06:09 PM
OK - everything (except the below) is setup, checked and ready to go!

Div3 is waiting mrpier and Div7 is on standby incase Nuffle strikes and Null has to fill in for mrpier in Div3.

Everyone *PLEASE* check that the match schedule in the sheet results and fixtures tab (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0Vre Xc&authkey=CLqFqKgH&hl=en&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=21) matches what BBLE says ingame and post here ASAP if it doesn't! Doubly so because I had to switch a few teams around to tally up the fixtures on the sheet...

Likewise if anyone has problems finding the match organising discussions or actually connecting to a multi-player game - let us know ASAP.

As far as I know, everyone except Divs 3 & 7 can now start - go crazy kids.

President Weasel
17-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Good work, everybody. That was relatively painless.
And once again, big thanks to Groovy and ntw for herding all the cats!

Squiz
17-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Yes, thanks to all the admins for bothering with the whole organisation and spreadsheet updating.

X_kot
17-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Honor and glory to the admins!

El Cubo
17-04-2012, 09:42 PM
All hail our admin overlords!

Kapouille
17-04-2012, 10:27 PM
0 - 3

Despite some decent cooking happening on the sidelines, nothing could be done about the relentless grinding of nurgle corruption.

Lots of victims. 3 dead Halfling, among which a rising star that happened to run faster than the others (but not fast enough !)

Granted, one of the death was due to an over enthusiastic treeman throwing a little bit hard and a little bit wrongly (like, straight to the floor)

This is going to be an expensive match for replacements!

ntw
18-04-2012, 12:43 AM
An expensive victory.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596968154236114613/6CE864729C138498CCC0B63A95FAAB2389D8D109/

Heliocentric
18-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Was a Bloody mess for me, but I think I might have impacted him enough to bias his later matches allowing me a strategic victory overall by winning the casualties scoreboard 5 to 1 including 2 deaths (1 apoced)

edit: I killed and then raised a player, then brought him onto the pitch to foul the others, its like a mexican wave.

ntw
18-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Well, that was brutal.

Winning the toss, IWTNH chose to receive. Linerats ineffectively pushed on the line, GutterRunners ran through into the backfield, basically everything going as expected so far. Taxiderm immediately kill a Linerat, Fodder5b was his name - the "b" denoting that he is already a replacement for a previously killed or retired player - and I suspect that the Fodder5 slot on the team is going to be like the drummer from Spinal Tap... Hoping to minimise casualties, the IWTNH Thrower passes to a waiting GR and a quick score is recorded.

IWTNH 1 - 0 Taxiderm

Taxiderm receive and immediately celebrate by killing another Linerat, IWTNH's Apothecary actually manages to do something useful (he'll probably take the rest of the season off now) and staples the rat back together. At this point it all gets a bit hazy in my memory, but I'm pretty sure the rest of the match happened something like this... Helio leaves his ball carrying Ghoul exposed to a GutterRunner blitz and IWTNH's two ManRunners (GutterRunners with the strength of a man!) set precedent for the rest of the match by successfully making multiple GFI rolls and dodges to free the ball then score shortly afterwards.

IWTNH 2 - 0 Taxiderm

The rest of the half continued to play out with Helio bashing the bejezus out of any Rat foolish enough to stand close to the Taxiderm players.

Second half starts and somehow IWTNH have still *almost* got a full team on the pitch, but Taxiderm are receiving and have a full 11 thirsting for ratblood. A few turns progress as expected - Rats get bashed and leave the pitch, undeads slowly rumble forward. When about 6 rats remain on the pitch Taxiderm's ball-carrying Ghoul launches a pass over a pack of fighting Rats and bones (well - 1 rat, 2 or 3 undeads), which is then somehow plucked out of the air by the solitary LineRat in the ruck. He then dodges out and hands off to the Thrower, who makes a beautiful pass over the lines towards a ManRunner, who catches the ball then dodges away from his marker to score a completely unexpected 3rd for IWTNH.

IWTNH 3 - 0 Taxiderm

Only about 6 Rats remain for the kickoff, so things are looking grim for the rest of the match. Helio displays his inner cruelty by gangfouling a Rat with his freshly acquired Fodder5b Zombie. Somehow the ball pops free again and IWTNH's Thrower manages to end up with it and launch a long pass way upfield into open space, but it is not enough to stop the Taxiderm steamroller from scoring with 1 turn left on the clock.

IWTNH 3 - 1 Taxiderm

The clock ticks down as the IWTNH's MightyBlow endowed StormVermin *finally* gets an armour break (16th turn FFS!), and the whistle blows.
_____

Helio's undead were a Rat-mincing production line, and my rats were almost completely unable to land a blow in return (not through lack of effort!). Fortunately for me, I horrendously abused GFIs and dodges with *very* few failures. From the first turn I felt on the defensive, but with lucky rolls I was able to score against the run of play at least twice.

Cheers for the game Helio, it must have been frustrating to see all your bashiness countered by the Rats slipperiness, it was certainly frustrating for me to watch my Rats going through the Taxiderm sausage machine. However for the first time I think I've seen what people mean when they say "never write off Skaven".
Now if you'll excuse me I need to visit the rat hospital to congratulate the vermin and encourage them to get back on the field, then deliver some bad news to the Rat family of poor Fodder5b as well as starting to scout for his replacement - Fodder5c.

/edit - I'm pretty sure that bit in the middle is mixed up, some of the highlights are in the wrong order, but they all happened at about that stage of the match.

HughTower
18-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Apothecarising a line rat? Sacrilege, ntw, pure sacrilege.

Zoraster
18-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Especially in the first half unless it had a good set of skill rolls... before the interval I’d rarely even use it on a Storm Vermin.

Still I had a linerat I used to apoth on the Rats charge to the championship... it really summed up Nuffle’s evil sense of humour too. I’d hired Margaret Thatcher with the intention of deploying her in marking killer duties but the sneaky bitch rolled +ag on her first level and became a core part of the team.

Heliocentric
18-04-2012, 02:50 PM
This match will long stand in Taxederm's history as an important one.
Not only did I pick up my first non guard/block skills after it but it taught me much on priorities of development and deployment.

Sure my iron curtain of guard players is devastating on the LOS but I need to force dodges, risky passes and do a little square counting for point to point risk assessment.

Also ag 3 players are bloody useless at passing without skills.

Screwie
18-04-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm glad you're having fun Helio, but your team and your tactics terrify me. :P

wink5000
18-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Div H is missing the match making thread http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?groupid=4

ntw
18-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Apothecarising a line rat? Sacrilege, ntw, pure sacrilege.

It was that or suffer a sudden migration of 4 players across the teams - IWTNH started with 13 players and Taxiderm with 14 (IIRC), after those 2 deaths it would have been at IWTNH 11 and Taxiderm 16! Given the way the rats were dying (2 in the first 2 turns) it seemed prudent to try and stem the flow somewhat...

ntw
18-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Div H is missing the match making thread http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?groupid=4

Setup - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?gmid=2575&do=discuss#gmessage2575

Alistair Hutton
18-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Not only did I pick up my first non guard/block skills after it but it taught me much on priorities of development and deployment.

Sure my iron curtain of guard players is devastating on the LOS but I need to force dodges, risky passes and do a little square counting for point to point risk assessment.

Also ag 3 players are bloody useless at passing without skills.

One of the biggest helps I have at attempting elf ball in my Human team is my Strong Arm/Accurate thrower. If only he'd get +AG I'd be laughing.

ChainsawHands
18-04-2012, 04:46 PM
One of the biggest helps I have at attempting elf ball in my Human team is my Strong Arm/Accurate thrower. If only he'd get +AG I'd be laughing.But how do your other players manage to catch it with their clumsy human hands?

wink5000
18-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Setup -
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?gmid=2575&do=discuss#gmessage2575

Thank you! I guess I need rights to join the group?

Heliocentric
18-04-2012, 05:49 PM
But how do your other players manage to catch it with their clumsy human hands?

Put 9 of them in a square throw at the middle player, you'll get at least 2 chances to catch, 3 on average.

MrJoose
18-04-2012, 06:03 PM
My first game has been played! I got an beating both figurative and literal. Including one dead Ogre, who tripped and fell.

RIP Tinkerbell, you shall be missed.

Kajo
18-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Not only did I pick up my first non guard/block skills after it

Mighty blow?

Piling on?

Heliocentric
18-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Mighty blow?

Piling on?

Heh, fair guess but no, sure hands on a ghoul, but I have a zombie who I can't decide between dirty player and kick.

I guess I need to decide what's important to me, touchdowns or corpses,

ntw
18-04-2012, 07:24 PM
<snip>...I guess I need to decide what's important to me, touchdowns or corpses,

Is that even a question?

ntw
18-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Thank you! I guess I need rights to join the group?

Erm, I think you can apply to join the group here - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?groupid=4

Otherwise nag GroovyChainsaw for an invite.

Heliocentric
18-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Is that even a question?
-----

If you had to choose between kicking evil in the head or the behind, which would you choose, and why?

I'm not sure I understand the question. I have two feet, do I not? You do not take a small plate when the feast of evil welcomes seconds.

------
I just need to have my cake and eat it, i need to have my ball carrier get mighty blow and kill his way up the pitch, thankyou ntw, and thank you minsc.

X_kot
18-04-2012, 08:02 PM
My first game has been played! I got an beating both figurative and literal. Including one dead Ogre, who tripped and fell.

You have my sympathies, fellow Ogre prodder. Tis a sad day indeed when one of the big lugs forgets to breathe. Good luck in your next match, and hope you can save up enough to buy a new bull soon.

Squiz
18-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Don't want to be nagging or anything but is there anything new concerning Div 3/7? Anyone heard anything from mrpier?

El Cubo
18-04-2012, 08:32 PM

I can symphatize, having lost one lineman thusly and getting another player seriously injured. Dammit, they should look into softer alternatives to astrogranite!

President Weasel
18-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Don't want to be nagging or anything but is there anything new concerning Div 3/7? Anyone heard anything from mrpier?
You're nagging. Shame on you! Shame!
But seriously folks, Pier and Nullky Nulks are reliable folks from way back. It'll get sorted out soon.

Squiz
18-04-2012, 08:39 PM
You're nagging. Shame on you! Shame!
But seriously folks, Pier and Nullky Nulks are reliable folks from way back. It'll get sorted out soon.No doubt about that. I'll be over in that corner wearing my hat of shame.

NieA7
18-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Much as I approve of the theory of using zombies to kick in heads I don't think it really works in practice. A good zombie is a zombie standing next to something with every likelihood of ripping off a few limbs - Ag2 and MA4 are never going to get you to the right place at the right time.

Always liked the idea of a dedicated fouling ghoul on a undead team, just feels a bit wasteful.

LowKey
18-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Yeah kick is always a solid choice and works well for the undead, make sure those elf's cant mess around in the backfield

potatoedoughnut
18-04-2012, 09:21 PM
It was that or suffer a sudden migration of 4 players across the teams - IWTNH started with 13 players and Taxiderm with 14 (IIRC), after those 2 deaths it would have been at IWTNH 11 and Taxiderm 16! Given the way the rats were dying (2 in the first 2 turns) it seemed prudent to try and stem the flow somewhat...

The Necromancer can only raise 1 zombie per game, regardless of how many players die.

Heliocentric
18-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Yeah kick is always a solid choice and works well for the undead, make sure those elf's cant mess around in the backfield

He actually rolled +AG, But I cant justify it :P

LowKey
18-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Man zombie!... Wait

Eard
18-04-2012, 09:46 PM

Failed to keep a full log, but game roughly played out like

bash bash bash, sorta move ball. bash bash bash, turnover, caught in traffic at midfield. halftime. bash bash bash, move ball up field, bash bash, score. Last turn, bash bash, snotling thrown with ball into open backfield, needs 2 gfi to tie game 1-1. Makes first, falls on second. Despite it giving me the win and not tie, I couldn't help but feel cheated for the little guy.

Ogres bashed in a few Beastmen, and by the late second half 9/9 snotlings were injured or KO'd. I dare say Joose outplayed me in the game considering his player handicap early on and some terrible terrible block dice for the Ogres in the first half. I had some positioning derps late first half that prevented a score attempt, and probably played too soft considering the blitz on kickoff. That hot snotling throwing action had me worried, as they were doing better at making the hero plays than standard moves. Totally missed the lone snotling stand up for the final kickoff, hidden before a chaos warrior at the line. Thanks to the terrible kick the ball was autoplaced into his hands. But was not to be.

I don't envy anyone playing with Ogres, let alone the body count you'll have to replace after this game. GL with the rest of the season!

Heliocentric
18-04-2012, 10:35 PM
What about nurgles rot?

potatoedoughnut
18-04-2012, 10:47 PM
What about nurgles rot?

It itches like you wouldn't believe.

President Weasel
18-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Red Skull Reavers (Pres W., Chaosmans) 1 - 1 Cute Harmless Hippies (Jarvis, also Chaosmans)

What a match! Many exciting things happened; here are some of them:
I was one Go For It from getting a 2-dice shunt off the pitch chance on Jarvis's ball carrier. GFI fail, man falls over. Jarvis scores.
I have two turns to try to get an equaliser before half time. Riot, ref lets the clock run for a turn. Damn you ref!
Jarvis's mino fails a wild animal roll or loners out (to save time, let's assume I have typed this about eight times during this match report. He was a total liability, as bad as mine was the day mine handed the match to Groovy and I sacked him right afterwards).

I scored a touchdown! Yay! (and despite handing the ball to Professor Brian Cox on the line, to get him the SPP, he did not drop it)

Sweltering heat and casualties made big holes in both teams.

Jarvis skulled out at a bad moment and I got the ball, one go for it away from the line.

Jarvis put a bunch of players round the ball carrier and his little posse of defenders.
I managed a bunch of 2-dice blocks to clear them away, with no rerolls left.
I was only one square from victory!
I only needed one Go For It to score...
GFI fail.

It was just possible for Jarvis to score. He needed a blitz from the mino, 2 go for its, a pickup, and a long pass from a chaos warrior, a catch and go for it and handoff from another chaos warrior, and catch and go for it from a beastman. I was willing him to succeed purely because of how awesome it would have been, but it wasn't to be. The chaos warrior failed his GFI at almost the exact same spot my beastman had, and the game ended with them lying side-by-side.

Great game, Jarvis, cheers for playing.

aerisdead
19-04-2012, 03:56 AM
Norwegian Fancy Nancies (chadsexington, Norse) 1 - 0 Partick Gristle (aerisdead, Chaos)

Crikey. Well, there goes my first "proper" game of Blood Bowl ever, eh? "It's only a bit of fun," I thought, and proceeded to do what I guess every single Blood Bowl rookie does, which is chance my arm at every opportunity by, with a Chaos team throwing pretty much as many one-die blocks and chaining as many dodges together as I could. To be honest, I'm surprised I didn't try any passing (and in fact, had I the opportunity, I probably would have.)

To be honest, Nuffle was kind to me (or perhaps cruel to chadsexington) because despite playing so fast and loose that I ended up with only TWO players on the pitch at turn sixteen, the Norwegian Fancy Nancies only managed to score in the final turn and might not even have managed that, to be honest, due to bad luck across the board. In most cases, my dodges paid off, whereas his didn't, even though we were running a ratio of about five dodges from me to his one. And he never threw a single one-die block, all his players had block other than the werewolves, and his werewolves still managed to punch themselves out on at least one occasion.

My major mistake? (Well, other than not playing conservatively) Not paying heed to the power of the Norse Werewolves Frenzy. I lost maybe six or seven players just to being knocked off at the edge.

The miracle is ultimately in a pretty darn bashy game, both of us got off rather lightly. I managed to get only one proper injury (a Beastman who took a smashed ankle, making him a bit annoying) and I think the Norwegians actually took no injuries at all (disappointingly.) In fact, I suppose my team's development has stood stock still because of that, despite the fact that I think he only had about five or six players on the pitch at the end of the game either.

Ah well. For a first game I think I've learned quite a few lessons, we'll see if I've learned them well enough in the next game to play a slower, more conservative Chaos team.

(Oh, and one that remembers fouling. I completely forgot about fouling.)

chadsexington
19-04-2012, 04:15 AM
I had a chance in turn 14 to score with a lineman, but I saw that a berserker only needed one dodge to get to the ball for a turn 15 TD. One dodge too many, apparently.

And aerisdead did play a pretty solid game, despite some one-die blocking. Nuffle also took a full half to let that catch up with him, as was knocking my guys down left and right in the first half without concern for such pedestrian things as dice.

His real problem, as he pointed out, was im sure something we all learned the hard way - frenzy and sidelines. I made sure to teach him that lesson as often as opportunity presented itself, chaining blocks to frenzy players, pushing to get the charge, and one time, marking with the frenzy player and charging with the lineman. GG me.

He stayed even with me in KOs and players ejected for the first half and a bit of the second, but I was able to surf several goats in a row and eventually the greater numbers won out.

GG

ntw
19-04-2012, 07:40 AM
The Necromancer can only raise 1 zombie per game, regardless of how many players die.

DOH!

/ashamed face

Is there room for another over in your corner of shame there squirrelfanatic?

mrpier
19-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Still no internet for me I'm afraid, it could be fixed when I get home from work or it might be another couple of days for all I know. I don't think it's fair to the seven other players that I stall two divisions so I suggest I sit this season out if that sounds ok to Groovy and the other adminpeoples.

ntw
19-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Still no internet for me I'm afraid, it could be fixed when I get home from work or it might be another couple of days for all I know. I don't think it's fair to the seven other players that I stall two divisions so I suggest I sit this season out if that sounds ok to Groovy and the other adminpeoples.

You could always ask PW to sign up for you - I hear that he hardly ever fires other peoples star players any more...

Apologies if you have already said this is not an option for whatever reason.

Alistair Hutton
19-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Red Skull Reavers (Pres W., Chaosmans) 1 - 1 Cute Harmless Hippies (Jarvis, also Chaosmans)

Jarvis's mino fails a wild animal roll or loners out (to save time, let's assume I have typed this about eight times during this match report. He was a total liability, as bad as mine was the day mine handed the match to Groovy and I sacked him right afterwards).

I thought I had the honour of having the last game against Roy?

Zoraster
19-04-2012, 08:58 AM
You could always ask PW to sign up for you - I hear that he hardly ever fires other peoples star players any more...

Apologies if you have already said this is not an option for whatever reason.

Or we could just get a placeholder team in to start the season and then swap you in once you are back.

groovychainsaw
19-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Err, yeah, don't know why we didn't think of this before, but one of us could apply for you MrPier if you PM one of us reliable types your details (PW is the expert, ntw is an option, I'm away tonight so not so helpful), as long as you think you'll have internet before day 1 is finished, at least. If not, we'll put nullkigan into div 3 (instant promotion null!) and PW, if you could apply your filler team to div 7 to get started. Either way, if an admin could sort out one or the other tonight, based on what MrPier decides, we'll get the last 2 divisions going.

Glad to see everyone else getting going, 7 days to go until the end of the first round!

mrpier
19-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Well, I have used that particular password elsewhere, nothing important, but still I'd rather not share it, I had considered the option. No slight against PW I have used his particular services before :-p New fixing time from the ISP is tomorrow at 1600, I consider it an 50-50 split that they'll actually do anything worthwhile. I could try using my phone as a wireless access point tonight though and see if I could get an application in that way. Also something I could have used before but I've never tried it and I've been away most evenings anyway.

ntw
19-04-2012, 10:24 AM
I'll be around tonight (stunty match vs Screwie ~8pm) should my unique services be required...

@ mrpier - FWIW I have used my HTC Desire (Android) to provide interwebs access to a PC before, tethered using USB though, not doing the wifi + internet thing at the same time...

Vexing Vision
19-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I'll be around tonight (stunty match vs Screwie ~8pm) should my unique services be required...

@ mrpier - FWIW I have used my HTC Desire (Android) to provide interwebs access to a PC before, tethered using USB though, not doing the wifi + internet thing at the same time...

Me too. I recommend using PdaNet 3.0 for Android - it's free and extremely reliable and efficent.

Skydancer
19-04-2012, 02:11 PM
And 3G is fine for bloodbowl, really. I managed to play MMORPGs and FPS on 3G.

Heliocentric
19-04-2012, 02:47 PM
I was just looking at Karandraz's lineup and i realised that non of my skeletons used to be a level 5 skink with 75 SPP, need to fix that.

TBH, more free linemen are actually the last thing i need, currently fit to burst at 15 players I'm actually considering retiring perfectly healthy zombies (what?!). Equipped with so much regeneration on my team even an injury might just be a harmless KO for the purposes of play, I really do not need 4 spares, its just 80 point (considering dropping 2 zombies) of bloat, so unless Karandraz takes on skills, injuries or deaths in the coming match out TV's will be 460 apart, what do I do with all that cash? Grab a vampire count or a mummy star player I guess.

This is also a grudge match back from Sword of the stars where we did nothing in particular to each other.

karandraz
19-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Your not having any stunty skeletons helio, I cannot allow it! which sword of the stars game are you referring to? In one of them I defiantly tangled with some annoying grapple hook ships! In the other game well, we both had enough problems without trying to kill on another ;)

this season should be interesting, Ive got the brutal, murderous and sneaky teams!

Rakysh
19-04-2012, 03:41 PM
The Phantom Menaces (Rakysh, Necromantic) 2-0 Barebone Bareboners (Skydancer, Khemri)

Ra'kish the Beastman-manager of the Phantom Menaces had really gone overboard on the pre-game sacrifices. Three draws last season had been acceptable, but this time he needed a win. As such, nothing was to be left to chance.

Skydancer got thoroughly Nuffled. Plenty of KOs and two injuries from a heretofore entirely pacifistic Flesh Golem (finally got the levels of pre-match drugs right, apparently) meant that despite kicking possession away, the Menaces were able to score in turn eight of the first half. Apart from a rather nice (if I say so myself) crowdsurf on a mummy in the first turn, I didn't really do anything to deserve this, but apparently my players were armoured in the righteousness of Nuffle. The Khemri's bad luck was compounded by the fact that not one of their four KOs woke up for the second half, meaning the full complement of the Menaces faced off against only three mummies and three skeletons. A ghoul ran in a two-turn touchdown, and a few players returned. After the kickoff, despite managing to cage successfully, the Khemri were unable to make much progress due to the large piles of zombies in the way.

Skydancer was a pleasure to play with, and was very good about the way the dice went. I think I got a level up or two and I definitely have a Flesh Golem to invest in, so could someone validate? Thanks.

Skydancer
19-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Sigh sob sniff

President Weasel
19-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Chad, I would caution you against fouling. It's not very helpful unless you have a deep bench, and with a starting team you won't have one. Once you have a sub or two (or a player with 'sneaky git') fouling becomes a much more attractive option. You're swapping a chance of getting your own man sent off (and out for the rest of the game) for a chance of breaking your opponent's armour (and maybe only getting stunned, or KO'd which they can potentially wake up from).
Once you have a sub (so getting a player sent off becomes less damaging to you) you can consider strategically fouling the opponent's better and more fragile players with one of your cheaper ones. Getting them both off the pitch is an excellent deal for you.

Al Hutton, it's possible the game against you was the straw that broke the camel's back - that idiot minotaur just watched you run past again and again.

mrpier
19-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Applied to div 3. :-)

ntw
19-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Applied to div 3. :-)

Accepted, started and checked!

Also Div7

ntw
19-04-2012, 04:51 PM
@ Rakysh - Result validated, along with all the others on the sheet.

Rakysh
19-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks NTW, you're a dude. Ghoul got leap (for personal amusement), and I'm finally up on all of the positionals (so should lose a werewolf any day). Ace.

aerisdead
19-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Chad, I would caution you against fouling. It's not very helpful unless you have a deep bench, and with a starting team you won't have one.

I think you meant to aim that at me, and you are right, of course: but I think with this game, there were definitely points where it might have been worth fouling his werewolves!

President Weasel
19-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I think you're right, I did mean to aim that at you. On the second count I'm less convinced - the further behind you are in players, the worse a 1-for-1 swap is for you, and it sounded like you spent most of that game badly behind in players.

For example, if you both have 10 players standing and you manage to swap a beastman for a werewolf you're now looking at 9 v 9 and you've given yourself a small edge in terms of quality.
If you've only got 7 players and he has 10 and you make the same swap, you're now looking at 6 vs 9 which is propotionally a better advantage for him. (Not to mention you need 3 or 4 assists to make fouls a reasonably good prospect in the first place, and it's often hard to get those players free when you're already outnumbered).

ChainsawHands
19-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Of course, sometimes you foul your opponent's 1-turn-TD gutter runner on turn 1 and give him a -ST...

Heliocentric
19-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Fouling is great when you have 14 players with 11 of them on the pitch and you can get 7 assists, but your opponent is down to 3 players.

What, why are you looking at me like that?

Squiz
19-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Accepted, started and checked!

Also Div7Great news! Thanks to everyone involved - especially mrpier - for making this happen.

Jarvis
19-04-2012, 08:23 PM

What a match! Many exciting things happened; here are some of them:
I was one Go For It from getting a 2-dice shunt off the pitch chance on Jarvis's ball carrier. GFI fail, man falls over. Jarvis scores.
I have two turns to try to get an equaliser before half time. Riot, ref lets the clock run for a turn. Damn you ref!

I scored a touchdown! Yay! (and despite handing the ball to Professor Brian Cox on the line, to get him the SPP, he did not drop it)

Sweltering heat and casualties made big holes in both teams.

Jarvis skulled out at a bad moment and I got the ball, one go for it away from the line.

Jarvis put a bunch of players round the ball carrier and his little posse of defenders.
I managed a bunch of 2-dice blocks to clear them away, with no rerolls left.
I was only one square from victory!
I only needed one Go For It to score...
GFI fail.

It was just possible for Jarvis to score. He needed a blitz from the mino, 2 go for its, a pickup, and a long pass from a chaos warrior, a catch and go for it and handoff from another chaos warrior, and catch and go for it from a beastman. I was willing him to succeed purely because of how awesome it would have been, but it wasn't to be. The chaos warrior failed his GFI at almost the exact same spot my beastman had, and the game ended with them lying side-by-side.

Great game, Jarvis, cheers for playing.

They weren't important rolls else i'd not have made them but there was not one but two occasions where I chose to block you with 2 dice against getting 2 POWs. And then a third occasion getting a BD and POW when I happened to have block while you didn't.

President Weasel
19-04-2012, 08:31 PM
It was infuriating! But late in the game I got some decent rolls of my own (like the time you skulled out when you were out of rerolls) so I stopped being grumpy :)

aerisdead
19-04-2012, 09:02 PM
I think you're right, I did mean to aim that at you. On the second count I'm less convinced - the further behind you are in players, the worse a 1-for-1 swap is for you, and it sounded like you spent most of that game badly behind in players.

Aye, well understood. I only started to lag badly in players in the mid-second half, however, and there's a gambler's instinct in me that makes me think had I remembered and chanced fouling his werewolves earlier, it could have been better.

BUT: the actual thing I should have done is keep my bloody beastmen about four squares away from the edge of the pitch!

darkweeble
19-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Just attempted to play my game with PresterJohn and it got stuck trying to synchronize. I was unable to click the "Try Again" button because the block result window was up. Here's a shot from my Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/DarkWeeble/screenshot/595842431620184083/?tab=public . We're going to try the game again later this week as we'd like to get him his SPP, so can we please reset?

EDIT: Seems like there is no record of the match having been played. Thanks anyway, ntw!

ntw
19-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Just attempted to play my game with PresterJohn and it got stuck trying to synchronize. I was unable to click the "Try Again" button because the block result window was up. Here's a shot from my Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/DarkWeeble/screenshot/595842431620184083/?tab=public . We're going to try the game again later this week as we'd like to get him his SPP, so can we please reset?

Either it has been done already, or it didn't assign anyone the default...

Prester John
19-04-2012, 09:26 PM

EDIT: Seems like there is no record of the match having been played. Thanks anyway, ntw!

Darkweebles luck sucked, mine didn't , i was going to win, win big maybe but most importantly get SP's!!!! Then Cyanide struck, even when i'm lucky i still get unlucky. Lots of Network Sync problems until Darkweeble couldn't click yes to reconnect due to the block box.

Bah, should be able try again hopefully.

Jiiiiim
19-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Monopole Magnates (Jim, lizards) vs Let Them Eat Lembas (Alethron, helves ft. nuffle)

Magnates are getting seriously wealthy now, with 2120 TV against Al's measly 1840. He hires a wizard and an apo which is probably a good choice with elves. My own aim is to get him to use the wizard in a non-critical situation, and to protect the skinks, as he has a couple of mighty-blow-tacklers I will cheerfully push off a cliff. Al wins the toss and elects to kick, and I have a bad feeling, losing a reroll on double skulls before dropping the ball on both pickup attempts. The ball bounces into the hands of a nearby skink, and I can hear Alethron's diabolical laughter as he lines up his mighty blow tackle bastard. 2 dice....push-push, okay, reroll....skull-skull. His first action of the half gets that monstrous catcher knocked out.

This basically characterises the half. I play boringly, Alethron rolls disastrously. His next action is a failed rerolled dodge from my Krox. By Turn 3 I'm just waiting on the touchline, about to score. Al hurriedly uses the wizard which succeeds in lightning-bolting my ball-carrying skink but there are plenty around to react. I pick up, and make to score...and misclick, moving another skink instead. So that's the ball-carrying skink stuck on the sidelines. Whoops.

Alethron uses this well, getting a blitz in and picking up the ball with his blitzer, and positioning helves around him so he can't be hit. I can't really do much, so I make sure there's as much tackle and diving tackle around, as the blitzer has leap and could run away with it next turn. The tackle doesn't work but the diving tackle does wonders, and the ball scatters back to the middle of Alethron's half. I get the pickup and move back towards a scoring position, he does another wonder-blitz to knock it out, but it's not overly difficult now to blitz down the surrounding elves and pick up the ball (though this took a reroll). Top Hat is the lucky skink, making it 1-0 on my Turn 7.

And then Nuffle decides to dance around in his pants at the elves' designs of scoring an equaliser in this half, awarding me a Blitz! kick-off result. I close down every elf I can, blitz a gap on the right and run a couple of skinks through, one in range of the touchline, one only just getting some diving tackle on his thrower. Sure enough, his thrower falls on the attempted dodge and all I have to do to end the half 2-0 is run a skink up to the ball and pick it up. GFI...succeeds! Pickup....fails! Rerolled pickup....fails! Dammit. 1-0 at half-time.

Nuffles continues as he left off, as the high elves take I think four rolls to pick up the ball. I set up some ridiculous convoluted push using a bucket line of skinks to get his mighty blow bastard back off the pitch and pressure the ball as best I can. Alethron finally hurts a skink (only BH), picks it up...throws...drops the catch. Hooray! A line-elf gets BH, the area around the ball is cleared, gutterskink picks up the ball and tries to hand it off...okay, he fails that, scattering it right into the open.

Alethron continues to try elfball, blitzing the area around the ball clear then picking it up, chucking it through a forest of lizards, straight into the hands of his nerveless catcher on the sidelines. He just has to jink past his Saurus bodyguard and he'll equalise...nope, falls. I compound the misery, surfing another elf, retrieving the ball, and building a MASSIVE cage around gutterskink. He pulls of another good set of dodges, knocks said skink over, then falls on the GFI, no rerolls left now.

I get a bit cocky about all this failure and try to pick it up with a saurus. This fails, obviously, and so does the reroll, but Alethron just failed something again, so I try again. Yep, definitely not going to be able to pick that up there. Okay I forgot they were elves. He runs a blitzer to the line, gets the ball, and....fails the throw. Oh God. I pick up the ball with a skink this time, and just peg it towards the touchline with a couple of sauruses in tow. There's nothing Alethron can do as he furiously fails more GFI rolls, and I finally hand off the ball to the Saurus Thimble for a 2-0 win that will live long in the memory of people of purists.

Final Score: 2-0 to lizards

Nullkigan
19-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Ripper Bolgrot: cannot punch an elf wearing butter.

President Weasel
19-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Ripper Bolgrot: cannot punch an elf wearing butter.

But he is rather good at throwing stunties at other players' heads, if that's any consolation. Oh wait, it wasn't.

Aeris, there are three things you can do against frenzy.

1) stand 3 or more squares from the side (not ideal as it lets the enemy players use the sides of the pitch without needing to dodge past your mans)

2) kill all of them (ideal, but often difficult)

3) put players in covering positions. Let's use X for your mans and O for his. (And | for the edge)

|
|X - very bad, even a non frenzy can push him off the pitch
|

|
| X - still bad, a frenzy player can push him off the pitch
|

|
|XX - safe! no frenzy man can get either of these off the pitch - unless he has help.
|

|XX -not safe, your other player there could act as a 'backstop' and let the frenzy man shunt your player with his second push
|
|X

|XX - not even slightly safe; a single diagonal push from above and to the right of your left hand man sends him off the pitch.
|O
|

|O
|XX - this is the least safe one of all. Frenzy could take both Xes out with one fell swoop.
|O
|

Diagrams are awesome. However I suspect these might be a little opaque. Maybe you already know all there is to know about crowd surfing and my awesome diagrams are pointless.
However, the main thing to remember about crowd surfing is that the game only lets you do it if there isn't a free square on the pitch to push them to.
Hit someone at a diagonal, and they'll just slide along the edge of the pitch, unless there's a 'backstop' there - if there's a player in that square, they cant be pushed there and they go off the pitch.
(if there's a player in all three possible destination squares you get to pick qhich of the three squares to push your victim to, and the occupant of that square gets 'dominoed' one square further on - so it's possible in one of those examples to frenzy two players off the pitch if you blitz them from the side and get the right rolls.

Hey wait, 4) skills - side step or stand firm is incredibly annoying to frenzy players.

(or fend, which is particularly annoying as it tends to get taken by the fancy-dan skill-fop characters which you particularly want to follow up on so you can continue to punch them)

Rakysh
19-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Or fend. I fucking hate fend.

boots468
19-04-2012, 10:36 PM
My Lizards enter their fourth season in the Divisions and for the very first time play a team who isn't Orc or Skaven. Unfortunately, it is instead a skilled up Dwarf team, heavy in tackle, mighty blow and guard. Oh well.

Wizard and Babe in tow (just 10k short of Sibili!) I set up to kick in a defensive formation, hiding tke skinks well away. Alini's first turn sets the tone for the rest of his half, as his runner fails the pick up. The next five turns are merely a push-fest, with one or two people being stunned, but pretty much ending up with the teams back in their starting line-ups. Running out of time a bit, the Dwarfs break for it through a small gap and form a loose cage. A few pushes later and I get a 2d block on the ball carrier. The ball falls very nicely for a skink and I threaten a break down the left, but a runner manages to GFI to blitz him off of the pitch. The half thus ends with 0 touchdowns, injuries, KOs or even passes.

Second half starts with a crowd thrown rock stunning a Dorf Blitzer. Accordingly, I throw all my lizards down that flank and in turn 11 am just a blitz and a GFI from scoring. Instead, i misclick and try and dodge the Krox into 3 tackle zones. It doesn't work. Thankfully the blitz on the ball carrier skink even after a reroll only ends on a push, and with the Wizard's help, shortly manage to get the skink on the goal line, out of blitz range. He is put in a tackle zone though, and I fail the dodge of a different skink coming to blitz him free. Now the skink is in trouble and doesn't get lucky with the block dice this time and is knocked down, dead. The apothecary earns his wage by confirming he is indeed quite dead. The ball is then picked up by a blodging dwarf and things look less good for me. Luckily though, a re-rolled Saurus blitz knocks the Dwarf down and a skink manages to pick it up and run it in.

1-0 to the Lizardmen (turn 13).

The dwarfs next have an admirable try at a 3 turn touchdown, but they aren't really built for it and have to resort to a desperate pass. Somehow a Saurus intercepts it, but has no room to move, and in the final turn is knocked down. To get the equaliser, the only Dwarf in range is a quadruple-marked blitzer. Nonetheless, the runner gives it a go, but fails the pick-up, in a repeat of the first turn.

Final score - 1-0.

Thanks for the good game Alini - I was expecting this to be a skink bloodbath, but only one player was taken off the pitch hurt all game between us, which is nice. Even though the armour rolls weren't favouring you at all, that massed Guard and Tackle made playing very hard, and you very nearly made me pay for attempting to stall my score.

Squiz
19-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Nullkigan's Dark Elves gave you forum guys a really good spanking. 4-1 for the Dark Elves.

mrpier
20-04-2012, 07:09 AM
B

|O
|XX - this is the least safe one of all. Frenzy could take both Xes out with one fell swoop.
|O

This was done to me in a match, although I can't remember who I played against, might have been in the Open to.

Squiz
20-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Ripper Bolgrot: cannot punch an elf wearing butter.I remember it slightly differently: Ripper hit quite a lot of elves, they just refused to die. He even made his Loner roll for re-rolling a going-for-it. He's awesome. It was just a shame that I had no idea how to chainpush your _ _ _ _ | _ X _ X _ X _ | _ _ _ _ elves on the LoS.

Alini
20-04-2012, 11:07 AM
It's like the tender, squishy skinks were kept cruelly away from my friendly boys by a wall of scaly teeth. Totally unfair, but nicely played ;)

Alistair Hutton
20-04-2012, 11:59 AM
I am so terrified of play laneford's Nurgle. So damn scared, especially with my star Blitzer out.

wink5000
20-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Xenny still around? If so reply here http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=64&do=discuss

Dentharial
20-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Da Blu Moonz (Dentharial, Orcs) VS Agathis Avengers (AgP, WElves)

In an attempt to inhibit my wordiness, my match reports this season will be performed in limericks.

The first half was steady but slow
Since the orc players lack mighty blow
The elves' careful retreat
Means their team's not too beat
But the half ends with a score of One-Oh

A blitz at the start means there's trouble
Orcs surround the elves in a huddle
The orcs charge the back
And their plan is on track
To win without much of a struggle

The orcs are now getting ahead
So the elf coach grabs at a thread
The elf thrower GFIs
But then promptly dies
And the apo brings him back from the dead

The elves started out with eleven
But the orcs have by now removed seven
Two more are ejected
(Their limbs still connected!)
And the orcs feel like they are in heaven

The elves bravely block 2-against
But the end of the match has been sensed
There's not much more to tell
AgP was just swell
This screenshot tells the story, condensed

Final Score: ​Da Blu Moonz 2 - 0 Agathis Avengers

Gorm
21-04-2012, 01:49 AM
I always read GFI's as Go For Its so the limerick didnt work for me until i thought about it. Good work otherwise sounds like a brutal/beautifully told game.

DWZippy
21-04-2012, 02:10 AM
Yet another game where I didn't earn a single SSP. Pheonix graciously let me skip the last few turns of the match, because I thought it would be unfair to ragequit.

DWZippy
21-04-2012, 02:19 AM
I think I'm going to re-roll at the end of this season as Undead or Chaos..

20phoenix
21-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the game darkwing. Playing skaven who have a numerical advantage can be a nightmare as they can literally get everywhere. I also had the help of some generous kick off rolls (blitz and perfect defense).

Good luck for the rest of the season and I hope you stick it out.

aerisdead
21-04-2012, 03:50 AM

I don't know if this maybe isn't ok, but I'm already considering re-rolling my Chaos team for next season because I didn't realize you could name/change the visuals of your player at the moment you buy them and I'd like my team to be a bit more personal!

I'm gasping to play more games though... I've decided not to play the CPU any more.

boots468
21-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Nice match report Dentharial! Also, congrats on breaking many elfs. You're doing Nuffle's work.

Heliocentric
21-04-2012, 07:18 AM
@Denth More of this sort of thing I think.

Heliocentric
21-04-2012, 07:36 AM

I'll just offer some experience on undead.

Your linemen will be dependant on mvp to level you'll be playing for many seasons before you can manage to get a wall of block on the LOS, something which you'd expect for a supposedly bashy team.

Alistair Hutton
21-04-2012, 07:48 AM
I'll just offer some experience on undead.

Your linemen will be dependant on mvp to level you'll be playing for many seasons before you can manage to get a wall of block on the LOS, something which you'd expect for a supposedly bashy team.

Undead are pigeon-holed in the utility part of the spectrum along with Humans. They're not unbashy but they aren't "bashy" if you know what I mean.

Rakysh
21-04-2012, 07:51 AM
*wink*

Yeah, they're similar to Necromantic in that regard. They're the bashy end of the middle of the spectrum. Bashy is Dorfs, Khemri, Chaos Dorfs, and maybe orcs at the utility end of the bashy spectrum.

We need a graph for this.

El Cubo
21-04-2012, 07:52 AM
I don't know if this maybe isn't ok, but I'm already considering re-rolling my Chaos team for next season because I didn't realize you could name/change the visuals of your player at the moment you buy them and I'd like my team to be a bit more personal!

Well, sounds a bit silly to me. You can, of course wait until your old players get killed or too seriously wounded, and then replace them with cool chaos cats. Also, the players do change appearance as they gain more levels.

ntw
21-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Yet another game where I didn't earn a single SSP. Pheonix graciously let me skip the last few turns of the match, because I thought it would be unfair to ragequit.

One less I have still yet to learn (even in my 14th season on the Divs) is that you should start all matches expecting to fluff every important roll, push every easy block and fall over and die on every GFI.

Stick with it, the highs are worth the frustrations - that time your treeman makes an interception, or you dodge into 3 TZs, pickup the ball and pass it out for a TD.

Of course feel free to reroll to try and find a better match for your playstyle, but the lows (and highs) will still find you even with a new team. Currently I'm starting to feel like a team gypsy, never settling on a team and rerolling every 2-4 seasons. :D

Screwie
21-04-2012, 09:24 AM

To play devil's advocate, I don't think switching to Chaos will help you much there. They are just about the slowest team to train up because bashing is the least reliable method to acquire SPPs. I find that SPP-less games are just as likely to happen with them in their early life as with High Elves.

If you want a bit more utility in a bashy side, may I suggest Orcs? They are a little slower than Chaos but they have more skills out of the box and can pass the ball at least. They'll bash the hell out of any starter Chaos side too, and have no shortage of Strength skill players.

Or if you want a team almost as versatile as elves but without the crippingly expensive players, I'd look towards Skaven. They don't have elvish AG but they are extremely resourceful. You will get clobbered sometimes, but your replacements are cheap.

Squiz
21-04-2012, 09:28 AM
*wink*

Yeah, they're similar to Necromantic in that regard. They're the bashy end of the middle of the spectrum. Bashy is Dorfs, Khemri, Chaos Dorfs, and maybe orcs at the utility end of the bashy spectrum.

We need a graph for this.Orcs I'd definitely count in to the bashy teams. Another way to categorise the teams is by the way they play the ball. You can play a running game (you could call this also a short passing game), a passing game (long), a cage-ing game and then maybe a loose screening game. Obviously some teams can run more than one of these styles (Orcs for example), but it is easy to apply a default style to each team.

Heliocentric
21-04-2012, 10:16 AM
People discount norse because the low AV means your players will never grow old. But near universal block is hard to complain about, you might need to replace casualties but if your TV stays low you'd have regular access to inducements.

Squiz
21-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Yes, Norse are a kind of "live by the sword, die by the sword" team. The early block is nice (especially in tournaments) and it means that they effectively get their second skill much sooner than the players of other teams. They way I see it is that you have to pick your fights with the Norse, damage the other team as soon as possible with your block/frenzy advantage and try to get as many opposing players off the field as fast as you can.

And don't make too many go-for-its and dodges.

El Cubo
21-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Live by the sword, die by going for it.

Alistair Hutton
21-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Laneford Murder Death Kill Men 2 - 1 Alistair's clown shoe fitted Humans

I had Morg. He managed to play all of 1 turn. KO'd in the first half, killed in the second. Game wasn't close although I nearly pulled off a rage inducing elf-ball play and did score a 1 turner to finish the match.

20phoenix
21-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Skaven come under the"run away from the sword" bracket

desvergeh
21-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Division D - Aggressive Negotiation vs Bishi Bashi Speshal

I went into this match with some trepidation. Previous matches versus lizard teams have resulted in defeats (thanks to the pesky skinks) and a fair number of injuries (from the sauri and kroxigor). However this time I had prepared, with 2 tackling blitzers!

I won the toss, and decided to defend. The game started in predictable fashion, with a rapid skink play leading to the first TD for Aggressive Negotiation, my only consolation being inflicting a damaged back on one of Karandraz' star sauri. 1-0 to Karandraz.

Plenty of time left on the clock, with me receiving the kick. The orcs built a strong cage, drove up the pitch, and equalized with only enough time left for a bit of punching and shoving. 1-1.

Again the orcs received the kick, and again they played to their strengths - a super strong cage. Despite an initial stall at the line of scrimmage, the lizard's defence was soon broken, and only a couple of skinks were left to stop the ball carrier - a blocking, tackling blitzer. End results 2-1 in BBS' favour.

2 turns were left to the match, and Karandraz setup for a lightning fast skink play. His intentions obvious, I setup as best I could to deny him this, with the few orcs I hadn't already committed. The first skink moved to the orcs endzone, the ball carrier made his dodge, and then made the hand-off. An equalizing TD was in sight, but the 2nd skink in the chain fluffed his dodge, and it was all over.

Final Score - 2-1 to Bishi Bashi Speshal.

Thanks to Karandraz for the game. Some poor luck, especially with his Kroxigor. One amusement was my new goblin player (Pot Noodle - wonder where he might end up!) refusing to leave the pitch the entire match. Appropriately he ended up as my MVP, going to be an expensive snack I reckon.

Heliocentric
21-04-2012, 01:11 PM
I just feel bad for the Skaven, when they face Karandraz I can't help but visualize road kill rodents.

Rakysh
21-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Orcs I'd definitely count in to the bashy teams. Another way to categorise the teams is by the way they play the ball. You can play a running game (you could call this also a short passing game), a passing game (long), a cage-ing game and then maybe a loose screening game. Obviously some teams can run more than one of these styles (Orcs for example), but it is easy to apply a default style to each team.
I was sort of thinking that Orcs can actually play a passing game if they like. The thrower has lovely starting skills and if you get a few blitzers in range of the endzone, you can definitely do some elfball. I see a typical orc TD as caging up, moving forward until you've got a pass+score on and then doing that. Now, with Khemri, you are punching things. You will always be punching things. If you are not punching things, you are playing Khemri wrong. They will have to walk in every TD, pretty much.

President Weasel
21-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Orc throwers get Sure Hands, you might as well call them "Orc slightly-better-at-picking-up-the-ball-mans" because they are bad at throwing. Access to passing skills gets you leader, which is useful. You can actually build a throwing orc thrower if you like, especially if you get a double for Strong Arm or if you get +agility. Otherwise I wouldn't bother - none of your players has catching skills, so even if you get half decent at throwing the catch is going to be chancy at best.
Keep the throw as an option, to force your opponent to guard possible receivers, then enjoy being one of the faster 'cage and run' teams.

Squiz
21-04-2012, 04:19 PM
The access to passing skills on the throwers also makes Orcs much faster in setting up a cage or screen closer to the LoS.

grinn
21-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Both teams orc teams I run use throwers extensively. When things go smoothly I run the ball in. Great. But often things don't go smooth and over 2/3s of my games have been won by passes. Due to the lack of movement you need every inch of flexibility you can get. Needing catch is not much of an issue - one has to be mindful of keeping re-rolls. Otherwise a 3+ is not terrible. Worst case the ball is dropped but it's rarely going to be a worse place to drop it if you ve had to resort to a pass. Usually it's when things have gone pear-shaped and your cage has been mashed (I actually run two throwers with one inside the cage and one in the furthest corner from the opposition. In the event of a cage swamp, I hand off to second thrower and pass. In the event of ball carrying thrower getting stunned or such there's an extra sure-handser in distance) or when you get caught out on a bad receive through a blitz or missed pick up.

Once the thrower gets accurate and hopefully strong arm (which is essential) you can move the ball pretty far in a rather safe way (dont see why a 3+ on two dice are bad odds! humans pass on the same odds). but a critical skill is kick off return. A crucial part of the orc game is pressing the opposition to score when receiving as soon as possible. The opposition is going to try and delay. On most occasions you re going to end up with 4 or so turns. With 3 or 4 turns (not to mention 2 turn TDs which I have done several times without throwing gobbos) left you need to get to the ball and move it up asap and KOR is indispensable.

Personally, when I come against an orc team without a developed thrower - or without using a thrower carrying the ball, I breathe a sigh of relief and have yet to lose to such an orc team (when I m running orcs myself) - (there just cursed myself). What's debatable is keeping a second thrower. I personally start with two hoping for stat ups (agility, move and str are all gold) or at least a double. Without one of these by the third skill max, they get sacked and replaced - with a thrower if I dont have another ag up player or at least a sure handser or a lino if I have one of these.

Squiz
21-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I was sort of thinking that Orcs can actually play a passing game if they like. The thrower has lovely starting skills and if you get a few blitzers in range of the endzone, you can definitely do some elfball. I see a typical orc TD as caging up, moving forward until you've got a pass+score on and then doing that. Now, with Khemri, you are punching things. You will always be punching things. If you are not punching things, you are playing Khemri wrong. They will have to walk in every TD, pretty much.I was just a bit confused by your post above and read it as if you wouldn't see Orcs as a bashy team. 4 ST4 Blockers, Troll, 4 Blitzers, ST access and armor value 9 on all of these 9 players looks like a hell lot of bash to me. :)

potatoedoughnut
21-04-2012, 11:35 PM
VV and I just played to a 1-1 draw in our champ match (his amazons vs my necros).

Things started well for me with any early injury on a disposable linewoman and a relatively straightforward score on turn 3. After that things slowly started getting worse, then more quickly started getting worse. The rest of the first half I was able to prevent the amazons from scoring, but suffered several KOs and injuries (1 not regenned).

Second half most of my KOs are still KO and the injuries and KOs keep coming in as the block die start to favour VV. I was able to get the ball loose a couple times, but lacked the manpower to keep it safe and the amazons scored on turn 15. No miracle occurred at the kickoff so the final was 1-1.

The block dice really decided the match. Despite lots of blodge & tackle on both sides VV managed to get a 57% kockdown rate to my 30%. Both of us broke armour quite often, but VV had a lot more kockdowns to convert and ended up with the numbers advantage.

GG VV. I hope you kill lots of Jiiiiiim's skinks :)

Jiiiiim
21-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Hey. HEY. You leave those skinks alone.

Wolfenswan
21-04-2012, 11:52 PM
WhiskeyTangoFox's and my Amazons clashed in division 3 with the match ending in 1 - 2.

With only 90k inducements for WTF there wasn't much more to buy for him than a babe and the match began with me kicking. A blitz was rolled and I decided to get cocky and bash right through his lines, getting close to the ball. Yet he managed to pick up the ball with a 4+ and despite a prolonged brawl around the LOS one of his linos managed to break free and score in turn 8. Despite the my Blitz Nuffle was favoring him in the first half of the game with me hardly seeing a POW (while most of his tackles hit home) and getting my ST4 Blitzer injured in the second turn (MNG rerolled to BH).

Luck appeared to turn though in the second half when I managed to tie up most of his girls on the left side of the field, shifted center with my passing game thrower and passed to the catcher I had moved into scoring distance earlier. My following kick was yet again accompanied by a Blitz and I sent my ST4 Blitzer deep into his lines while tightening the defences around the center as it looked like the ball might scatter off field (which it died). Despite that i managed to wrangle the ball away from the center, touched the ball off to a waiting blitzer and took the lead in turn 14. The last turns saw a nice attempt by WTF to score in two turns but I managed to intercept the catcher and tried some elfball in my last turn (4+ pickup, dodge, 4+ pass with a thrower to a catcher in scoring distance) which failed at the first hurdle. The very last turn of the match saw a good amount of my girls going KO (i think 6 or 7) but altogether my girls yet again proved their sturdiness with only one apo'd injury received. On WTF's side there were no KOs but two injuries and one killed blitzer from a failed dodge that was apo'd to BH.

Vexing Vision
21-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Xanthia Skinkslayer wants blood that's not Kroxigor or hers, for once.

So I decided to kick off first, and successfully forced potatoe's ghoul to score in turn 3. The loss of a linewoman in turn 1 was sad, because I care for my girls, but disposable.

Then I start fumbling things big time, and despite getting close several times, there's always a hole in my cages those nuffle-forsaken Werewolves got to use to stop me from scoring.

The second half sees a repeat of that - and furthermore, while I score a total of three casualties, two of them immediately regenerate. Running out of turns and people-advantage, I decide to play it safe for once and stall long enough for a rather boring and unsatisfying 1-1 in what was nevertheless a high-action game that, among other things, saw crowdsurfs for both of us and utterly outmatched Flesh Golems who just couldn't cope with my two Strength 4 Amazons.

Those Werewolves! Ugh. I am just glad I mostly survived - poor Zery got a -1 Strength though and will be replaced.

Thanks for the match!

Rakysh
22-04-2012, 12:53 AM
I was just a bit confused by your post above and read it as if you wouldn't see Orcs as a bashy team. 4 ST4 Blockers, Troll, 4 Blitzers, ST access and armor value 9 on all of these 9 players looks like a hell lot of bash to me. :)
Ah, cool. No worries, I see what you mean. It's just a question of orders of magnitude, really; at least six ag 3 players on the pitch is markedly different to a Khemri situation.

potatoedoughnut
22-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Ah, cool. No worries, I see what you mean. It's just a question of orders of magnitude, really; at least six ag 3 players on the pitch is markedly different to a Khemri situation.

I think it's a question of how much development it takes to do it. Any team can do anything to a degree, it's just a question of how much development it takes and coach preference. Out of the box orcs are best at caging, but with a few skills they can be decent at passing. Khemri would require much more development (and quite a bit of luck) to do passing decently; while elves (except Delfs) are good at passing right away.

NieA7
22-04-2012, 10:40 AM
I don't know what Cyanide think happened by mine and Grinn's game in Div 2 just bombed out, can a friendly overlord reset it if needed?

drawlien
22-04-2012, 06:22 PM
I managed to beat Indefatigable Snoozer's Dorfs 2 - 1 because they were mostly incapable of doing any more harm to my Woodies than K.O.'s. In fact my Treeman caused as many casualties as his entire team managed! It didn't help that there was a blizzard, making it hard for the stunties to keep on their feet and make up for their slowness. Still Snoozer soldiered on and scored an amazingly elf like TD when 2 - 0 down. Thanks for the game Snoozer!

On an admin note: I have advanced Div. B to the 2nd round. This is because I will be on holiday most of the official period for next round. I've already arranged a match with Al, but Snoozer and Laneford can arrange theirs too.

drawlien
22-04-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't know what Cyanide think happened by mine and Grinn's game in Div 2 just bombed out, can a friendly overlord reset it if needed?

Either some other friendly overlord has already done so or the game never existed/got recorded...

NieA7
22-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Either some other friendly overlord has already done so or the game never existed/got recorded...

Interesting. The game died shortly after kick off when one of Grinn's Black Orcs blocked a zombie that, so far as I could see, he wasn't standing next to. A game I was playing against Screwie just now died when one of his gobbos blocked one of mine on the scrimmage just after kick off, except so far as I could see Screwie's gobbo wasn't on the scrimmage. In both cases the game lagged out with no result being recorded. Anyone else seen something similar? It's only happened to me since the last couple of patches.

Heliocentric
22-04-2012, 09:39 PM
It's only happened to me since the last couple of patches.

Ah... Cyanide

Heliocentric
22-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Sorry for the highly situational post, but i was sure div D was rolled on and I arranged to play tonight with Karandraz but its still day 1, can anything be done?

Heliocentric
23-04-2012, 09:25 AM
I threw maybe 45 block dice at skinks most of them with mighty blow, I fouled them half a dozen times.

1 badly hurt skink, I'm gutted. The score line is kinda unrepresented but my D6 rolls (dodge and pickup) were horrific and he would pass 7 D6 rolls in one turn on one pair of skinks to run the ball from his end zone to mine.

Horrific.

Heliocentric 0 - 4 Karandraz

ntw
23-04-2012, 11:32 AM
You've failed me Helio - I was relying on you doing at least as good a job in weakening the dinos as you did last week when you disassembled my team. Are my rats going to have to show your Undeads exactly how to bash the Lizards? :D

Erm, that's always assuming any of them survive the beasting the Orcs are going to give us...

/edit - also, Nuffle giveth and Nuffle shitteth on thine plateth when it is least expected-eth.

Skydancer
23-04-2012, 03:28 PM
I think it's a question of how much development it takes to do it. Any team can do anything to a degree, it's just a question of how much development it takes and coach preference. Out of the box orcs are best at caging, but with a few skills they can be decent at passing. Khemri would require much more development (and quite a bit of luck) to do passing decently; while elves (except Delfs) are good at passing right away.

Throras come with free Pass, this means that they get a 75% on a short pass, but the problem is the catchers. I have managed some elfball with my auld team with two +ag skellies (one with pro and block) though.

aerisdead
23-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Is it generally the rule that divisions all get rolled into the next week at the same time, even if you finished early? Only I've realized I'm busy, er, every night from the 27th to the 6th, so having a bit more time to play my next game would help...

President Weasel
23-04-2012, 10:08 PM
They generally all get rolled on together, but if your Division is finished early you can post to ask the admins to roll it on for you. No guarantee they'll actually be around to do it, but no harm in asking.

aerisdead
23-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Just here?

Hi Admins, any chance you can roll Division H on just to see if I can get my game played? Though I've realized that as I'm in EST and my opponent is in EET, it might be difficult after all. I forgot all about timezones + my busy schedule in my eagerness to play Blood Bowl. Hmm.

groovychainsaw
23-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Hi Aerisdead, I usually prefer to keep us in sync, but if you have a reason to move it on early and ask nicely then one of us admins can. So i have - hopefully you'll be able to squeeze your game in ;-)

aerisdead
23-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Thank you very much!

karandraz
23-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks to helio for that fun game of "kill ma skinks" though I am sure the score was 1-4? One of those TD's for me was pure filthy luck, and I loved every second of it! Tried to a similar gambit against desvergeth last game but it didnt work quite as well that time, in des's own words if I had pulled it off I deserved to win :D

groovychainsaw
24-04-2012, 09:41 AM
So, me and Duff played the first match in division 1 last night, my humans vs his dark elves. 100TV in it, so I grab an extra reroll and prepare to play.

Weather is nice, and Duff opts to receive. I get a perfect defence allowing me to rearrange my lines. Duff retreats with the ball and tries to bash down my left flank. He dodges his line away from mine. My turn,. I press into his line, then blitz his witch elf with the mighty general Zod. Who is not so mighty, only scoring a push and suddenly looking exposed. Rookie mistake. Galactus boneheads out in the middle (a familiar tale today). Duff blitzes one back at me but only gets a push. His witch elf gets revenge on Zod with a push form the first block, but frenzy gets the knockdown, injuring general Zod with a smashed hand that apothecary is unable to fix (although he did offer to repair it in exchange for a pinched nerve. Thanks, Apothecary!). So my Str5 blitzer is out of the game, turn 2, and I no longer have an apothecary. Bugger.

The ball is close to the line now, Duff thinks he's trapped me in, but he forgets the dodging prowess of galactus. Who... boneheads again. It would have been a lovely break tackle through the lines as well.

Then there is about 6 more turns of bashing on the line. Leading to a point where I think I've got him. Marked up, unable to run through my line, the ball carrier is trapped. No-one else is in range. I miss one player, way out on my left, who it turns out was a runner. He bashes his ball carrier free, runs around the line (back into his own half!), hands off to another player (ag5) who runs downfield and throws what turns out to be a perfect pass to that runner who has made it to the endzone after a couple of goforits. Turn 8, 1-0 Duff. 1 injury each. There's one receipt for my team, I manage a KO and an SPP for a lineman (my thrower was out for this game), then it's the second half.

I'm receiving, manage to KO one player on the line and get back and pick up the ball. I run my catchers through the line deep into Duff's half. Duff retaliates by blitzing poor Professor Zoom, who gets knocked down and killed. Bugger. Duff then forms up the classic '5 columns of men'. I hate that elfy strategy. I have a (newly developed after Alethron's elves last season) counter though!. My other catcher remained unmarked, so I charge into a nearby column, take out the front man and make sure I have 3 players marking the man in behind. I run up the ball carrier from deep, make 2 goforits and go for the pass (4+...) i get a 6, duff fails to get the 6 needed for the interception, and Harley Quinn makes the catch and runs it in, turn 10. 1-1.

A high kick sees Duff collect the ball neatly, then try to break down a flank again, somewhat lessened by a block-block result. Bashing back scores me a quick badly hurt and a KO - finally mighty blow helps me out a bit, we're back on even numbers now. An attempt to break through and cage in my half by Duff is undone by a failed goforit leaving a corner of the cage open. Knowing the runner has dump off, i surround every possible receiver with 2 players, put a guard player next to the runner, and charge him. He makes the dump-off, and another blodger catches it, in between all my players. Bugger.

A knockdown from duff causing a badly hurt then 9 dodges in a row gets his players out of trouble (it was pretty impressive to watch :-D). Once free, it only takes a turn for duff to enable a pass/catch to score. 2-1 duff. 3 turns left. On kick-off, one of duff's men gets hit by a rock and KOd. I pour through, getting 5 players into the backfield, bashing the line and sending a lone lineman back for the ball. It's all or nothing now ;-). Duff approaches my ball-carrier with 3 players, trying to block any pass. If the pass doesn't come off, I'm doomed here. Support is lacking, only galactus is free if my plan is to work, he goes for the blitz and boneheads again (for the 6th time this match, stats fans!). So now the pass gets even harder. Mr Freeze (my lineman) runs diagonally upfield, and makes 2 goforits to get clear of duff's markers. He makes the pass (4+ again!), but scarecrow fails the catch. Reroll. He makes the catch! The Scarecrow runs upfield and hands off to The Red Skull (3+). Who runs it in (1 GFI) for a touchdown. 2-2 and the crowd goes wild. Obviously my team has been paying attention to duff's plays. Both back in turn 15 with 10 players each. A riot leaves duff with only this turn, so no chance of scoring. The game ends without incident.

So, well, mixed bag really. One of the fairest games I've ever played from a dice perspective, duff having fractionally better injury and d6 dice, but nothing in it really, both teams with an almost identical block record (helped, no doubt, by me losing my other strength 5 player on turn 2 - what a stupid mistake!). Really good fun, tight defence required by me to hold Duff off, and then elfy heroics from my players for both my touchdowns. 2 of my lvl 1 linemen finally got a level, so I've gained 2 wrestlers to go with all the other blockers. Still, i'm down some serious points for my next game, missing a lvl3 catcher and my str 5 blitzer means im down ~350TV. And who's up next? Chainsawhands' Pro Elves, who are at... 2160. Really? I'm going to have 600 points of inducements! Morg might get an outing, but I suspect its going to be a tough one for my humans ;-).

Heliocentric
24-04-2012, 12:41 PM
You've failed me Helio - I was relying on you doing at least as good a job

In line with my failure (not really but narrative is everything) Taxederm's team building exercise is being brought to a close after the C. E. O started having flashbacks from the match during a board meeting and killed several of the board members who were thankfully received by the lawyers, but fear not lucky shareholders, they will be financing a novice team next season. I'll still honour my remaining match obviously.

Screwie
24-04-2012, 01:46 PM
In line with my failure (not really but narrative is everything) Taxederm's team building exercise is being brought to a close after the C. E. O started having flashbacks from the match during a board meeting and killed several of the board members who were thankfully received by the lawyers, but fear not lucky shareholders, they will be financing a novice team next season. I'll still honour my remaining match obviously.

Ooo, so are you bringing in a new team and what kind?

Heliocentric
24-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Ooo, so are you bringing in a new team and what kind?

The merged markets of Necrotic lubricants (embalming fluid) and air fresheners have moved forwards with a corporate take over of the brand "Papa's Disinfectant" maker "Deamonestos by TaxeDerm*, the Company already had its own team in training the "Papa's Prosodemic Pharmacologists"

Oh, I forgot to mention the "race"? Its Nurgle

*The new capitalisation will be reflected in all future marketing material

ntw
24-04-2012, 03:48 PM
I can see a definite trend towards teams from the bashier end of the spectrum here Helio :)

The Brain
24-04-2012, 03:52 PM
It also can't be a coincidence that Nurgle can fill out their roster with the corpses of former opponents.

ntw
24-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Hah - theoretically. It only happened to me like once in 3 or 4 seasons...and I certainly wasn't avoiding a fight.

Heliocentric
24-04-2012, 04:15 PM
It also can't be a coincidence that Nurgle can fill out their roster with the corpses of former opponents.
It's just market forces, you need to allow for economic pressures.

LowKey
24-04-2012, 05:09 PM
No! Undead iz best

Skydancer
24-04-2012, 05:36 PM
He'll end up playing ogres or khemri someday.

Heliocentric
24-04-2012, 06:10 PM
The name is too long for the game I need to rethink.

Prosodemic Pharmacologists? Its okay I guess, but Nurgle's followers love him. I wanted to represent that.

mrpier
24-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Very close game against Zoraster this afternoon, whereby I came up on top 2-1, by way of some lucky dodges and pretty bad block dice on zorasters part.

Gorm
24-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Me and Graever got out game in today. 2-1 to me, but i felt like it was a really close game. If one or two rolls had gone in Graever's favour then it would have at best for me been a draw.

NieA7
25-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Rok Ard Nobz (Orc, Grinn) vs. Read in Tooth and Claw (Necro, me)

Our first attempt to play this game bombed out on Sunday morning. I felt doubly hard done-by for this as I was winning and Grinn was coming off three hours sleep (an inducement so good you can't even buy it), but Cyanide.

The two teams were equal in value and had no casualties, so it was a straight up match of theoretically matched sides. I won the toss and elected to kick, the aim being to push the orcs into scoring quickly (or nabbing the ball off them), getting a fast TD before the second half then stalling out the rest of the match before scoring on the last turn. Things got off to a bad start when my kick zombie conceded a touchback, then got badly hurt in a blitz. Grinn put together a solid cage but I managed to stop it moving forward too far, until around turn 5 when I got an outside chance of bringing down the ball carrier after a succession of lucky 1 dice blocks (all through the match I tried more one dice blocks than I usually would, and I got away with nearly all of them). Unfortunately a push was re-rolled to attacker down, leaving a hole for the orcs to exploit: despite a couple of setbacks Grinn rolled the ball over the line on turn 7, leaving me with two turns to get an equaliser. Nearly made it but fell at the last hurdle with the wolf in the end zone spilling the (accurate catch) on turn 8 – 1-0 to Grinn at half time.

The second half did not start well for me, a slightly silly set-up was completely cracked open when the sure-hands ghoul flubbed the pick up. The proto-cage was immediately surrounded by half the orcs, while the rest of them put pressure around the ball. After a couple of turns scrambling I got some luck – first Grinn suffered a turnover on a re-rolled GFI, then he couldn't bring down the receiving wolf on a re-rolled two dice block. Just to rub salt into the wound I then managed to get through a dodge, GFI, one dice block, another GFI and a hand-off without failing horribly (which would've left the ball in the open and the wolves on the sidelines), leveling the score with 3 turns to go.

Kicking off I conceded another touchback despite aiming for the middle of the pitch, though we had another Cyanide moment when somehow the ball ended up on a Black Orc on the scrimmage. Grinn caged like a pro again, while running through three orcs into the backfield. I replied by hurling zombies, golems and wights at the cage while trying to mark up as much space as possible with the ghouls and wolves. With only a couple of turns to go Grinn was forced to dodge with the ball carrier, who promptly fell flat on his face and spilled the ball at the feet of three dead men, despite using a re-roll. With no players in position to score I put as many tackle zones around the ball as possible then scooped it up with a ghoul, who then withstood all Grinn's attempts to bring him down on the last turn – 1-1 at full time.

I probably had the best of the luck in this match: the touchdown in the first half was more likely to work than not by the time it failed, but the TD in the second was a horrible rag-bag of mistakes and dumb luck. Grinn played well but as he pointed out after 4 blodgeing players were too much for his single tackle blitzer to cope with, making it hard for him to get the space to move the ball around. No permanent casualties on either side (the apo actually worked on the Black Orc with a gouged eye, and remarkably not only did a dead zombie regenerate but so did a golem with a fractured arm), hopefully leaving us both in good shape to deal with the two chaos teams that seem to have spent most their efforts maiming one another.

Alistair Hutton
25-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Kicking off I conceded another touchback despite aiming for the middle of the pitch, though we had another Cyanide moment when somehow the ball ended up on a Black Orc on the scrimmage.

you get surprisingly little time to select the player you want to give the ball to on a touchback before it defaults to your first player. this lead to my Ogre (who was first on my roster) being my highest TD scorer for a while on the team as he accumulated 3 touchdowns from getting the ball from touch backs and trundling down the pitch for the score.

Screwie
25-04-2012, 05:31 PM
The time to play Bribes at the end of a drive are pitifully short too.

Speaking of, have you used a Wizard since the latest update? 15s at the start of every turn until you use it! But at least you can't forget anymore...

Gorm
25-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Yea, or you can end the event which doesnt use it up. Really confused me the first time.

Janek
25-04-2012, 07:13 PM
It's a really awkward cackhanded implementation. All they needed was a seperate "end turn and use wizard" button. But no.

Alistair Hutton
25-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Altdorf Army XI 3 - 1 The Hardwood Harpies

The two teams were evenly matched on paper but there's one factor that cannot be quantified by GPs alone and that is luck. The Hardwood Harpies had none of it. Zero, zip, zilch, nadda, nothing, not an iota.

The teams took to the field and The Army kicked off deep, the Harpies claimed the ball and made some ineffectual block on the line of scrimmage that had been re-arranged after a perfect defence but put a couple of threats into the human half. The Army responded by opening up a hole for their turbo-charged Catcher Grayland to make a 2D against block on the ball carrier - double POW showed how this game was going to go, the ball on the ground deep in the back field with a human player now standing over it. The elves recovered the ball, passed it down field and tried a hand off to an elf covered by two human who was in scoring range, the hand-off went bad (3+ with re-roll) and the ball was loose and the Humans get a cage around it with Grayland up field offering a scoring threat. the elves try to blitz into the cage and fail and the Army move the cage to the right and about to half way. A second attempt at blitzing into the cage is equally disastrous for the Elves. This made the humans Cocky and Grayland tried to peel off his double markers into the end zone but fell flat on his face leaving the thrower exposed with half his cage having ran down the pitch without him. Elf blitz fail - KOing a elf in the process. After the first few turns showing remarkably little violence The Army pulled out the stops and KO'd and elf and badly hurt a second and consolidate their ballcarrier halfway into the elf half in a full cage. A 4 strength elf blitzed the corner and stood next to the carrier putting the Army in a tight spot. There were two options open to the army, once high percentage but boring and risked the cage being immobilised next turn and chocking off the TD opportunity, the second low percentage, risked turning over the ball immediately but was
A) Awesome
B) TD worthy
Followers of the Army now what was selected, a single die blitz, a dodge, a GFI and TD Army.

But with two turns left plenty of time for Wood Elves to sc... BLITZ. Grayland is under the ball, the Elf counter blitz fails on the GFI, Grayland dodges away TD Altdorf.

So 2 - 0 at half time and despite 3 attempts to wake up only one of the Harpies 2 KO'd players makes it back to the field.

The Humans receive and vow to play conservatively, immediately kill an elf and safely secure a shallow kickoff. They move the ball left, once again easily seeing off a couple of Wardancer blitzes against them as the Dancer either falls over on the leap for skulls the block attempt. but then the Elves manage to get a succesful block on the ball carries as the cage is against the left hand touchline and a side stepping Wardancer ruining the Army's blocking patterns so a 4+ with re-roll pickup is attempted because the majority of players around the ball are humans and it's not like.. fumble, scatter, fumble, scatter to free elf, run left, pass, hand off - score. Despite having a negative level of luck with the dice the Harpies were suddenly in this game.

Another shallow kick off put the ball in the hands of a player without Sure Hands and I was worried but the ball was then safely shifted into the hands of a thrower. And then followed a succession of Wardancers throwing themselves at the feet of my players until it just became too much and I stuck the boot into a prostrate Wardancer on turn 15 Badly Hurting him. This fortuitously left Grayland 1 square inside the Elf half and a simple blitz on turn 16 followed by a hand off left him with a clear, if 3 GFI needed, run for the line to get a 3rd TD for the Army.

Grayland was voted Altdorf's MVP but I feel drawlien's dice played a far, far bigger roll. Do you see what I did there?

In Other News:

Grayland levelled up and I goy my first ever AG increase. Fuck yeah - a MV 9 AG 4 sprint piece is the bomb-diggity.

Alistair Hutton
25-04-2012, 09:51 PM
In short, I would have felt really sorry for drawlien but he was playing Wood Elves so deserved everything he got.

Dog Pants
25-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Anupshi Rises (DogPants, Khe) 1 - 1 Dandy-Lions (DeekyFun, HElf)

Under a blazing sun the two teams square up to each other for the second time in as many seasons, with the lumbering Khemri receiving. Anupshi Rises play a typical fighting and caging game, but the Dandy-Lions prove to be surprisingly effective at going toe-to-toe and take the sting out of the offensive drive at the half way line. The majority of the first half is spent as a scrum with neither team making headway save for a few players off the pitch on both sides. A last minute blitz, though, sees the ball free and the High Elves making a break with it, but it isn't enough and the game is still without a touchdown at the end of the first half.

When the teams take to the field again the attrition of the last half has taken its toll and sees the Dandy-Lions two men short for their lineup. Trying to lure their opponents, the Elves break for the flanks while the ball handler backpedals. The defenders break into three, chasing the flanking runners and sending a couple of men forward to harry the Elven thrower. The plan works, and even while the Dandy-Lions start to wither on the flanks under the assault of the numerically superior and stronger Khemri, a couple of runners get through on either side. Meanwhile the ball-carrier easily outmanoeuvres his pursuers and makes a pass. The Anupshi defenders are again fooled as they rush for the dashing runners only for the ball to land with a stray Blitzer further back. Unable to react with any speed, the skeletal defenders can only watch as the Elven Blitzer trots in the game's first touchdown.
With less than a quarter of the game left the High Elves face the task of holding out against a full strength fighting team with only eight men. Anupshi Rises, on the other hand, face the task of carrying the ball fast enough to score. The badly depleted defence proves too frail, though, as the offence smashes through their right flank and ties down the front line with overwhelming numbers. The Anupshi Thro-Ra careens out of his cage like a cannonball and is barely inconvenienced by a valiant but unsuccessful long range dash by a breaking Elven Blocker. The game ends with one touchdown apiece, and a network synch failure. Thanks Cyanide.

On the subject of the synch disconnect then, DeekyFun saw the end game results, I didn't. Hopefully that means the game was recorded, but I assume we won't find out until an admin gets to look at it.

somanyrobots
26-04-2012, 06:41 AM
The match started off with Ritashi's team receiving the kick; he caught the ball with the aid of a quick snap, ran around the side of the defence, and scored a typically elfy 2-turner. Only one block even thrown, for a KO'd zombie. The Lycanthropes received on their own second turn, and promptly lost a turn due to a failed pickup. The elves punched a hole, and promptly ran a blitzer downfield to pick up the ball. The necros finally managed to get a dice roll their way, KO'ing the blitzer, before misclicking a move and throwing their turn away on a golem-dodge. The elves proceeded to BH a werewolf, getting cover on the ball, though not picking it up. And then the dice went the necros' way, as they KO'd three more elves and got some players near the ball. Until the elves punched away the ghouls, picked up the ball, and ran another TD in. 2-0. So the Lycanthropes received again on turn 5, with the elves kicking a deep corner ball AND getting a Blitz! This start went a little better though; the ghoul actually picked up the ball, and the necros got some meager defenses in front of him, injuring an elf catcher in the process. The elves followed up with a dodge->1D block against the blodging ball carrier...and knocked him down, sending the ball out of bounds. The throw-in landed squarely in the middle of the necros' half, though, allowing them to recover it and finally get a cage up. The next turn, a Strip Ball elf Leaped in, knocked the ball loose; it bounced off a zombie, where another elf dodged free, grabbed the ball, dodged away, and scored. turn 7, 3-0. Wat. The elves proceeded to Blitz! again. Wat. Then a flesh golem both-downed, ending the turn. An elf ran back, grabbed the ball, scored again. 4-0. Wat.

Right. Second half, chance to turn things around. (Nah, I'm kidding, I just wanted to murder some elves, and maybe get 1 TD for pride's sake). The necros received the ball, made a cage, KO'd another elf. Stunned the Leaper who ruined the last drive. Promptly got the cage cracked open, and a wight KO'd. The ball carrier held on, though, and the next turn dodged out, handed off to a werewolf, and saw a touchdown run in. 4-1. The elves took the next kick deep to their own backfield, while the necros lined up to try and mash any elves they could get their hands on. But no luck; the elves shoved away a single defender, then made a graceful pass and ran it in. 5-1.

The final drive saw the necros get shoved all over the field, with Ritashi wisely preventing another attempt at the werewolf-as-receiver play and the elves (finally) fumbling a pass to miss a turn 16 TD.

Lucky Lycanthropes 1 - 5 The Longitudinal Life

Well and gracefully played, by Ritashi! He managed his (fiendish) elves with terrific skill; I suspect I would still have lost, without the thorough Nuffling. But Nuffle also threw in with Ritashi's team (and I made more than my usual share of misclicks, too). Clearly payback for two seasons ago, when the Lycanthropes literally tore apart every team they played. Nuffle giveth and Nuffle taketh away. Great game! But man alive, I got destroyed. Good luck, Kapouille!

ntw
26-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Anupshi Rises (DogPants, Khe) 1 - 1 Dandy-Lions (DeekyFun, HElf)

<snip>

On the subject of the synch disconnect then, DeekyFun saw the end game results, I didn't. Hopefully that means the game was recorded, but I assume we won't find out until an admin gets to look at it.

BBLE is showing no result - either the match has already been reset or the disco completely voided it...

@ Everyone - Please include your Div for requests like this, makes it easier for us admins to find the games...