PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The many, many Divisions of Death!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

groovychainsaw
29-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Right - Everyone is in a tier for next season! I may/may not have already got it wrong, but it looks... okay to me :-). Live draw for divisions will be at 7PM sharp tonight, turn up to the RPS Bloodbowl Group Chat (steam://friends/joinchat/103582791430525042) to find out who you'll be playing next season in your division! Applications to the divisions in-game will commence after the draw.

Screwie
29-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Groovy, what order will you be drawing the tiers in? I may end up missing the start due to work blah.

Alistair Hutton
29-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Incidentally I had a look at my team last evening and it didn't look like the game between me and Phil had been admined yet.

Kapouille
29-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Incidentally I had a look at my team last evening and it didn't look like the game between me and Phil had been admined yet.

You're not the only one, don't worry.

groovychainsaw
29-06-2012, 11:05 AM
They've all been adminned now, rest assured, apologies for any delay :-)

Squiz
29-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Right - Everyone is in a tier for next season! I may/may not have already got it wrong, but it looks... okay to me :-). Live draw for divisions will be at 7PM sharp tonight, turn up to the RPS Bloodbowl Group Chat (steam://friends/joinchat/103582791430525042) to find out who you'll be playing next season in your division! Applications to the divisions in-game will commence after the draw.I think I am bit confused. My team played in Div8 last season, I came in as 2nd, so would have changed into DivH (is this even correct thinking?). Now, on the sheet I am not in DivH - so my question is:

Where the pro- & demotions done before the change to the new system, or are they calculated after the change?

ChainsawHands
29-06-2012, 11:29 AM
I think I am bit confused. My team played in Div8 last season, I came in as 2nd, so would have changed into DivH (is this even correct thinking?). Now, on the sheet I am not in DivH - so my question is:

Where the pro- & demotions done before the change to the new system, or are they calculated after the change?"The most merciful thing about the new promotion system, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."

groovychainsaw
29-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Hi Squirrel, they were done before, then you were pushed into a tier. Bearing in mind we had 4 reboots and a similar number of dropouts, you're probably higher again than you expect, although at least this gets absorbed a bit by the broader tiers now. Does that help explain things?

Heliocentric
29-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Now, looking at the top of this table, I can see why some players were so eager to reboot with a Necro team ;)

You reserve the right to not believe me, but I honestly had no idea about those statistics before my Necro fixation set in, I'd also swap out for Lizardmen in a heartbeat, statistics be damned.

mrpier
29-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Tier 1 looks exciting, hope I don't have to play boots again, was too much work running from his lizards :-)

Damn, and grinn is there too, another player I want to avoid. I suspect his orcs are just as aimed at hurting things here as in the open.

Everblue
29-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Will we be running extra teams to make room for the new people in the bottom tier?

JayTee
29-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Oh good, my MVP landed on a useful player for once and I finish off my LoS setup with a second annoying Wrestle/Fend Skeleton.

Still wont help me for crap against the Skaven, Lizards, or Wood Elves of the Tier. Fingers are now mega-crossed for Humans, Orcs and Amazons, teams who generally get stuck in with none of this 'dodging' malarkey. If god had intended Blood Bowl players to Dodge he'd have given them two heads.

Oh damn. Skaven ><

Skydancer
29-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't see Kajo on the sheet, did you forget him?

Screwie
29-06-2012, 12:17 PM
I don't see Kajo on the sheet, did you forget him?

Kajo's on row 15 of the Season Info tab.

If you're talking about the Table tab, that isn't sorting people into tiers but by Divisions still as far as I can tell - so it won't be correct until after the draw.

Heliocentric
29-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Wrestle/Fend Skeleton.

Wierd mix, I guess it makes him pretty good in a cage, he deters blitzing with wrestle and regular blocks with fend, if you ever roll double on him get sidestep and you get the choice of using or not using wrestle (if a non blocker BD's on you) and where to get pushed back to (so you can decide whether or not to mark the person who hit you on a push, or just what hole to block up if you do get knocked down)

Squiz
29-06-2012, 12:41 PM
"The most merciful thing about the new promotion system, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."Ohh, I love me my Lovecraft.

Wierd mix, I guess it makes him pretty good in a cage, he deters blitzing with wrestle and regular blocks with fend, if you ever roll double on him get sidestep and you get the choice of using or not using wrestle (if a non blocker BD's on you) and where to get pushed back to (so you can decide whether or not to mark the person who hit you on a push, or just what hole to block up if you do get knocked down)I think you use him on the line of scrimmage.

@groovy: Yes, it helps a bit, thanks. I just can't find my name on the sheet. I guess I would have ended up in Tier 4 in any case, so I will see tonight where I'll end up.

ntw
29-06-2012, 12:49 PM
@ squirrelfanataic - yup, you are in T4 (line 46 of the sheet)

drawlien
29-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Groovy, did you see my post about me being away and not able to sign into a new division until next friday and therefore leaving me in div. A might be a good idea? Obviously if that isn't possible with the new system then don't worry. (I can't look at the sheet at work because google docs is blocked so I don't know what tier I'll be in.)

Wolfenswan
29-06-2012, 12:59 PM
I'll sit this season out, pondering whether I should retire my girls for a more bashy or a more agile team.

groovychainsaw
29-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Gah! Wolfie, that means rejigging the tiers below you - this is why i wanted people to decide early whether they're in or out...

I'm reorganising now...

Edit - and thats done, chalk one up for the tiers making this a little easier.

Kapouille
29-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Will we be running extra teams to make room for the new people in the bottom tier?

If we do, I'd be happy to pick up a tasty Amazon team.

boots468
29-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Tier 1 looks exciting, hope I don't have to play boots again, was too much work running from his lizards :-).

Hah, I'm hoping to avoid your rats again - not only did you inflict my lizards 2nd defeat in 5 seasons, you beat them up so bad I've got two players missing next game, and only the apoc saved the Krox from death. Skaven aren't meant to win the bashing side of things! :-)

Kapouille
29-06-2012, 01:29 PM
You reserve the right to not believe me, but I honestly had no idea about those statistics before my Necro fixation set in, I'd also swap out for Lizardmen in a heartbeat, statistics be damned.

Just teasing ya. But it does reflect what your estimations of the team were.

Kajo
29-06-2012, 01:45 PM
So I am in Tier2. Same as Screwie. I already know where this is leading to.

Everblue
29-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Tier 4 is bashy as hell. Plus some halflings. Can't anyone start an elf team?

Kapouille
29-06-2012, 02:27 PM

For your benefit, or are you planning on volunteering?

Squiz
29-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Tier 4 is bashy as hell. Plus some halflings. Can't anyone start an elf team?Oh my, and Zoraster is their coach.

Everblue
29-06-2012, 03:41 PM
For your benefit, or are you planning on volunteering?

Ideally everyone would start an elf team except me. It's a bit like the prisoner's dilemma.

Kapouille
29-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Oh my, and Zoraster is their coach.

Is he playing my team as well? ;)

El Cubo
29-06-2012, 04:09 PM
So I am in Tier2. Same as Screwie. I already know where this is leading to.

It seems that I was bumped into Tier 2, too. How am I supposed to bully my way around with so many other bashy teams?

Skydancer
29-06-2012, 04:12 PM
With hugs!

El Cubo
29-06-2012, 04:15 PM
With hugs!

I do have a couple of serial huggers. But they're so tender that they might get outhugged.

sketchseven
29-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Hmmm Tier 4 does look rather ... painful. Here's hoping for a good draw for the division. /crosses fingers for halfings.

Heliocentric
29-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Hmmm Tier 4 does look rather ... painful. Here's hoping for a good draw for the division. /crosses fingers for halfings.

I'm happy as long as I get mortals.

Squiz
29-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Is he playing my team as well? ;)Oh, now there's two of them. They are growing in numbers, prepare for some pruning!

cyberpunkdreams
29-06-2012, 04:57 PM

It's my gobbos you'll have to watch out for. I figure that they're about ready to begin their meteoric rise to the champs. Black Bomber coming through!

Heliocentric
29-06-2012, 05:29 PM
I figure that they're about ready to begin their meteoric rise to the champs.
What is it that meteors do again? Fall and burn?

cyberpunkdreams
29-06-2012, 05:32 PM
What is it that meteors do again? Fall and burn?

Yeah, yeah, very clever :p. But you'll be laughing on the other side of your face when faced with two trolls, a wrecking ball, a chainsaw, a bombardier and a whole team equipped with sneaky git and dirty player!*

*Okay, I don't have the sneaky git and dirty player yet...

potatoedoughnut
29-06-2012, 05:45 PM
The champs this season is a lot stronger and bashier than it has been the past couple seasons. I have a feeling this will be a bloody season, especially since recently my mans seem to be forgetting to wear armour.

At least the play will be a bit of a change, except Jiiiim. I'm looking forward to another draw to decide the season.

groovychainsaw
29-06-2012, 07:00 PM
ok chaps - live draw starting now (7pm) in the rps blood bowl steam group> how exciting.

Everblue
29-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Sorry to miss the draw - I couldn't get the kids to bed in time. So I get Norse, Orcs and Heliocentric. God help me.

Heliocentric
29-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Sorry to miss the draw - I couldn't get the kids to bed in time. So I get Norse, Orcs and Heliocentric. God help me.

I like that I'm a race now.

groovychainsaw
29-06-2012, 07:35 PM
The live draw has now concluded, please feel free to look at the sheet to see who you're facing. The fixtures may not be ocrrect yet, as the sheet is struggling with the new layout a bit, don't rely on those yet!

ADMINS: We need I,J,K and L to be created (all the number ones could be replaced now?), so could a couple of you change your number divisions over to these letters now?). Everyone else, get applying to the correct division in the game, and we'll look to get everyone going ASAP.

potatoedoughnut
29-06-2012, 07:48 PM
While it would be a heap of extra work maybe rename the divisions 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d, and so on? [Teir number][Division letter]

Kajo
29-06-2012, 07:49 PM
I like that I'm a race now.

Heliocentric

MA 6
ST 4
AG 3
AV 8

Frenzy
Mighty Blow
Heliocentricity - Must end turn initiatining or being part of a foul action. If not, roll a die: on a roll of 3+ the player keep calm and carry on, else he rages off the pitch

Access to Strength, gets Normal and Agility on a Double

2 max per team, 120k

Heliocentric
29-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Access to Strength, gets Normal and Agility on a Double
What, no passing access?

Aww, who am I kidding.

Gorm
29-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Skaven, High Elves, High Elves and Orcs. This division will either turn into a scoreathon or the team which faces the orcs last and therefore has the least casualties will be the winner. Although that counts out the orcs winning, which isnt fair at all.

Heliocentric
29-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Although that counts out the orcs winning, which isnt fair at all.

If the Orcs are mindful they may leave with lots of SPP though

chadsexington
29-06-2012, 09:54 PM
..my glass cannon norse are stuck with an orc team and two dwarf teams? There was a division with two halfings! ugh, I hope I can get out of this season without any deaths

Jolima
29-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Looks like you could rename the divisions without having to recreate them. So I just renamed some numbered ones to I,J,K,L.

Dentharial
30-06-2012, 12:15 AM
High Elf, High Elf, Skaven, and my little, dainty Orcs?

Oh yes. This​ is what I rebooted to orcs for.

INinja132
30-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Hey,

Can I reapply with my old team again? It's still on the spreadsheet and I don't mind coming in at the bottom or whatever, just need to get my Blood Bowl fix again.

somanyrobots
30-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Still at work, so just giving the sheet a quick look. But a number of the team names appear to have gotten mixed-up, including my lovely necros. Looks like it's just miscopied data on the Season Info tab, so I went ahead and fixed my guys.

Big thanks to the admins for going to all the work in the great reshuffle! (In addition to all the work they already do).

I may express my gratitude by brutally mauling ntw's Skaven.

Everblue
30-06-2012, 12:38 AM
I have applied to Division J! Exciting times!

Can I suggest:

1) We have a new DoD thread for the new season. This one is mahoosive.

2) We need our forum groups renaming for the new divisions.

Thanks very much also to the excellent admins for arranging. You are all lovely.

Heliocentric
30-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Exciting times!

Absolutely, shiny new teams and a shiny new league format. I loved the divisions being up to nuffle too.

Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo
30-06-2012, 01:31 AM
Hey hope im in the right place, chadsexington told me to come on here to get in on this starting up, i got a chaos team that i apparently made last night and have no memory of it.
Dont know what other info you need, im decent at the game and pacific timezone

20phoenix
30-06-2012, 02:09 AM
I corrected an error on the fixture list. The Brain was due to play BOTH day 1 games so I cut him some slack and put myself in for the game against Dark Weeble. I presumed since I was facing Walrus in day 2 I couldnt also be playing him in day one

President Weasel
30-06-2012, 02:48 AM
High Elf, High Elf, Skaven, and my little, dainty Orcs?

Oh yes. This​ is what I rebooted to orcs for.

High elfs can be surprisingly fighty, and a few bad rolls against skaven can end with them brutally bullying an outnumbered team. (Of course, a few good rolls against skaven can end with you chasing a handful of terrified rats around the pitch for most of the game). Don't count your chickens until you've viciously murdered them, is what I am saying.

Heliocentric
30-06-2012, 03:34 AM
Don't count your chickens until you've viciously murdered them.

A dead bird in the hand is worth 2 live ones still struggling for breath?

Alistair Hutton
30-06-2012, 08:37 AM
High elfs can be surprisingly fighty, and a few bad rolls against skaven can end with them brutally bullying an outnumbered team. (Of course, a few good rolls against skaven can end with you chasing a handful of terrified rats around the pitch for most of the game). Don't count your chickens until you've viciously murdered them, is what I am saying.

If NUM_GUTTER_RUNNERS > 0:

Murder More Gutter Runners
Else:

Score

Heliocentric
30-06-2012, 09:30 AM
If NUM_GUTTER_RUNNERS > 0:

Murder More Gutter Runners
Else:

Score

Shush, if they hear you they'll tell you that you are immoral. I guess if you can pick up the ball, blitz the GR to death and run the ball home that's okay.

sketchseven
30-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Shush, if they hear you they'll tell you that you are immoral.

Hmmm ... no I don't think I'll pick up on that, might have another argu-I mean forthright discussion.

I agree with Everblue - this thread is getting rather large. Also we need our Division groups renaming :)

ntw
30-06-2012, 10:34 AM
looks like these's still some "features" I need to fix on the sheet, if anyone makes changes, can them PM what they were please? :)

/edit - fixed the obvious ones I could see, please post here or PM me with any new ones you spot

Screwie
30-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Hey ntw, there seems to be a mistake in Divison D...

The Chaos and Nurgle teams in our division aren't facing off and slaughtering each other first, before either me or Alistair Hutton have to deal with them? I'm sure it's just an oversight. :)

ntw
30-06-2012, 11:19 AM

The Chaos and Nurgle teams in our division aren't facing off and slaughtering each other first, before either me or Alistair Hutton have to deal with them? I'm sure it's just an oversight. :)

Who are we to argue with the will of Nuffle?

Alistair Hutton
30-06-2012, 12:07 PM

Especially as I've just remodelled my team to go with 4 Catchers.

Heliocentric
30-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Especially as I've just remodelled my team to go with 4 Catchers.

I'm sure the catchers will get re-remodelled.

darkweeble
30-06-2012, 03:42 PM
I pulled Skaven, Elf, and Khemri! I don't think I'm equipped to deal with Skaven but we'll see how it goes. Applying tomorrow!

laneford
30-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Applied for Div 1.

Could whomever plays drawlien before I do, kill his bastard invincible wardancers for me. Thanks.

drawlien
30-06-2012, 06:05 PM
Don't worry Laneford, one of them died in the last match...

sketchseven
30-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Applied for Div I - need the admin to let me in :)

MadDave123
30-06-2012, 09:32 PM

The Chaos and Nurgle teams in our division aren't facing off and slaughtering each other first, before either me or Alistair Hutton have to deal with them? I'm sure it's just an oversight. :)Sounds like everything is running smoothly to me. :)

On another note. Can I apply to Div D yet? I tried yesterday but wasn't able to.
N/B: It's entirely possible I'm just being a thicko and am doing something wrong.

Screwie
30-06-2012, 09:56 PM
I applied to D yesterday without a problem. Did you get some kind of error message?

The Brain
30-06-2012, 11:16 PM
It looks like I've managed to stay in Division E so I assume I don't need to change. If I've got that wrong let me know and I'll apply to wherever I need to go.

Squiz
30-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Applied to Division L. L is such a lllllate character in the alphabet. :(

Heliocentric
30-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Finally picked a team name, applied to J

wink5000
01-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Applied to K. Do we have a discussion group for organizing matches in the Div? Couldn't find one.

chadsexington
01-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Applied to 'L'.

Are these divisions finalized or are going to be another division or two to handle overflow?

Also, if there is to be more divisions (this season or next), how will the tiers handle them if there is not a full tier to add?

MadDave123
01-07-2012, 12:59 AM
I can see Div D, and the Apply button is there, but my Nurgle team isn't available to select from the team list. So I can't apply. :/

Jiiiiim
01-07-2012, 01:11 AM
have you taken them out of the league they were previously in?

MadDave123
01-07-2012, 01:54 AM
Yeah, I totally did that. Definitely... >_>

<_<

Oh btw, I managed to apply to Div D. Woohoo!
*slowly backs away from the tread and runs*

laneford
01-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Get up to div 1 dave, we can have a nurgle tea party. And a fight. Possibly.

groovychainsaw
01-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Lots of people still not applied yet, too many to name, but keep applying in game if you haven't already! We want to get started by mid-week I'm hoping...

Kajo
01-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Finally picked a team name, applied to J

The "applied to J"?

Applied to C

Heliocentric
01-07-2012, 03:19 PM
the "applied to j"?

Applied to c
iswydt&iwltstynl

Edit: The team is called Int'He Night Guardians they are not what you expect... Unless you expect rightly, then there is PIE IN MY FACE.

Kajo
01-07-2012, 03:58 PM
iswydt&iwltstynl

Edit: The team is called Int'He Night Guardians they are not what you expect... Unless you expect rightly, then there is PIE IN MY FACE.

Bashy Necros?

You'll need some luck with the skill rolls

Heliocentric
01-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Bashy Necros?

You'll need some luck with the skill rolls

What? Oh I was just making a null statement. Mainly I will be keeping them generic as I get a feel for them.

Kajo
01-07-2012, 04:59 PM
What? Oh I was just making a null statement. Mainly I will be keeping them generic as I get a feel for them.

They're pretty much the Undead, plus Werewolves minus Mummies

Heliocentric
01-07-2012, 05:13 PM
They're pretty much the Undead, plus Werewolves minus Mummies

Yeah, the problem is I can see about 6 distinct development tracks for the werewolves. But I do have an overall agenda. The key being how to use the WW to the best of their potential.

sketchseven
01-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I have reapplied to Division I which I think is being run by DarkFenix? The only other person that BB is showing as being part of that League at the moment is cyberpunkdreams. Are we waiting on teams being added?

drawlien
01-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Ok, so I got my wife to apply to Div. 1 for me since I am away from home. Could an admin let me know if it worked or not so I can ask her to try again if necessary? Thanks.

MadDave123
01-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Get up to div 1 dave, we can have a nurgle tea party. And a fight. Possibly.Tea you say, with a party? Destination locked in - Division 1 here I come.
No one understands Nurgle like Nurgle do. Finally, a place where I can feel at home.

potatoedoughnut
01-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Yeah, the problem is I can see about 6 distinct development tracks for the werewolves. But I do have an overall agenda. The key being how to use the WW to the best of their potential.

Really? I feel like the first 4 skills for ww's pick themselves: block, dodge, sidestep, tackle; unless you get doubles or a stat.

Heliocentric
01-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Sure, if you are boring and old... And lack majesty.

potatoedoughnut
01-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Sure, if you are boring and old... And lack majesty.

Kick off return, leap, dauntless, sprint?

Everblue
01-07-2012, 08:11 PM
I have applied to division J. Thanks

Heliocentric
01-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Kick off return, leap, dauntless, sprint?
Only the mad, the agile and the long legged should take leap.

Dauntless is fun but its useless often, kick off return? I'd give it to a +ag zombie. Sprint follows sure feet in my eyes.

potatoedoughnut
01-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Only the mad, the agile and the long legged should take leap.

Dauntless is fun but its useless often, kick off return? I'd give it to a +ag zombie. Sprint follows sure feet in my eyes.

You look only at the individual pieces. You need to look at the WHOLE player. Amazing.

groovychainsaw
01-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Still missing about 10 players form the divisions - I'll start naming names as of tomorrow to hurry people up - drawlien, your team got in ok ;-)

Heliocentric
01-07-2012, 09:47 PM
You look only at the individual pieces. You need to look at the WHOLE player. Amazing.

IDGI, is that a haiku?

MrJoose
01-07-2012, 10:10 PM
I believe I have had my new dorfs inserted into the correct division. When are we looking at the first round deadline being, as I will still be Francing it up on holiday till the 8th.

Squiz
01-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Still missing about 10 players form the divisions - I'll start naming names as of tomorrow to hurry people up - drawlien, your team got in ok ;-)Well, I have applied but haven't been accepted into DivL yet.

President Weasel
01-07-2012, 11:25 PM
REMEMBER, BECAUSE CYANIDE:

You need to go into the Division in "view league" and apply from there. Then you'll get prompted for the password (which is "chainsawed") and then the game will say "your application has been forwarded to the league's master" or something similar, and only then can you be sure that you've actually applied to the league.

Also, for the more Dave-like amongst us - you need to remove your team from the previous league first or you won't even get the option. Ya idjits.

sketchseven
01-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Still missing about 10 players form the divisions - I'll start naming names as of tomorrow to hurry people up - drawlien, your team got in ok ;-)

I have put in my request to join I but as of earlier today it hadn't been ok'd.

EDIT: Just checked and still not be accepted to the league. The only team I can see that's there is the Gobbos of cyberpunkdreams.

Heliocentric
01-07-2012, 11:35 PM
my registration to J is yet to be accepted, nor has anyones.

Jiiiiim
01-07-2012, 11:36 PM
At a guess the registrations aren't going to be accepted until all divisions above yours are sorted, as it'll make shuffling easier.

Heliocentric
02-07-2012, 12:08 AM
At a guess the registrations aren't going to be accepted until all divisions above yours are sorted, as it'll make shuffling easier.
Ah, to be a lowbie again.

groovychainsaw
02-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Yup, Jiiim's right - we don't accept the applications until we're sure the divisions above you are filled, just in case we have to move you again. Never fear, though ,we can see a list of everyone who's applied to a division successfully, so we know exactly who's missing right now. I'll update (and name and shame) this evening ;-).

Kajo
02-07-2012, 10:35 AM
REMEMBER, BECAUSE CYANIDE:

You need to go into the Division in "view league" and apply from there. Then you'll get prompted for the password (which is "chainsawed") and then the game will say "your application has been forwarded to the league's master" or something similar, and only then can you be sure that you've actually applied to the league..

There's another way to do this?

Screwie
02-07-2012, 11:14 AM
There's another way to do this?

The team selector and Apply to League button are usable from the league search results page - but it's not reliable. Always best to hit "view league" first.

cyberpunkdreams
02-07-2012, 11:17 AM
I have put in my request to join I but as of earlier today it hadn't been ok'd.

EDIT: Just checked and still not be accepted to the league. The only team I can see that's there is the Gobbos of cyberpunkdreams.

I'm actually accepted in that league as I happened to be in it already. I didn't have to reapply.

sketchseven
02-07-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm actually accepted in that league as I happened to be in it already. I didn't have to reapply.

I thought that might be the case. It's the Norse in me; it just wants to rush in and jump up and down on some goblins.

cyberpunkdreams
02-07-2012, 11:22 AM
I thought that might be the case. It's the Norse in me; it just wants to rush in and jump up and down on some goblins.

Tell that to the str7 guy with the ball & chain ;).

sketchseven
02-07-2012, 12:22 PM
I will sacrifice many chickens to Nuffle and hope he thumps one of your Trolls by mistake ;)

cyberpunkdreams
02-07-2012, 02:13 PM
I will sacrifice many chickens to Nuffle and hope he thumps one of your Trolls by mistake ;)

I let that happen once. Never again. Interestingly (or not), his random direction roll is one of those that Cyanide doesn't log.

Everblue
02-07-2012, 02:19 PM

Animals are fine, but their acceptability is limited. A little child is even better, but not NEARLY as effective as the right kind of adult.

Heliocentric
02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
right kind of adult.
Anything you'd suggest? Priests, lawyers?

cyberpunkdreams
02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
... right kind of adult.

Let's be clear... we're talking young, female virgins, right?

sketchseven
02-07-2012, 02:24 PM
well that swiftly took a far darker turn than I was expecting. We're Norse, we hang onto our women. Or steal them from the villages we pillage.

ChainsawHands
02-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Animals are fine, but their acceptability is limited. A little child is even better, but not NEARLY as effective as the right kind of adult.The sacrifice of the willing King-like virgin fool will be accepted!

Squiz
02-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Anything you'd suggest? Priests, lawyers?Games Workshop employees?

Everblue
02-07-2012, 03:34 PM
ChainsawHands wins! One victory point to him/her/it for spotting the Wicker Man quote.

groovychainsaw
02-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Right chaps! 7 missing before we can start our next season:

Div 1 - Mr. Dragon
Div 2 - Hughtower (avoiding playing me again i reckon)
Div C - Phill Cameron
Div F - ntw (forgetful, mr w?)
Div H - Ranek
Div J - Darkwingstalker (probably afraid of helio)
Div L- Rhylok

So come on chaps, if I don't see you by, ooohhh, thursday, your places could be forfeit (and I'll have to do some slightly easier-but-still-quite-difficult reorganising, which I'd rather not do...)

DWZippy
02-07-2012, 10:01 PM
haha, I'll get to it. Sorry!

DWZippy
02-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Done, all applied and sorted.

President Weasel
02-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Right chaps! 7 missing before we can start our next season:

Div 1 - Mr. Dragon
Div 2 - Hughtower (avoiding playing me again i reckon)
Div C - Phill Cameron
Div F - ntw (forgetful, mr w?)
Div H - Ranek
Div J - Darkwingstalker (probably afraid of helio)
Div L- Rhylok

So come on chaps, if I don't see you by, ooohhh, thursday, your places could be forfeit (and I'll have to do some slightly easier-but-still-quite-difficult reorganising, which I'd rather not do...)

I know from the Open that 'Tower is super busy right now, I think he still wants to play but he's likely to need a nudge.
Sponge always needs a reminder at this time of the season, so if someone sees him on the Steams or in real life, give him a nudge too.

sketchseven
02-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Div L- Rhylok

last time I spoke to him on Steam was trying to organise last match of last season, he was in the midst of moving - that might be causing him some issues.

NieA7
02-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Just spoke to Sponge, he's not going to be able to make this season due to moving house. Could someone apply to Div C with the traditional all snotling team please?

Screwie
02-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Since when was that a tradition :P

NieA7
02-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Eh, worth a try o:)

Kapouille
03-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Since when was that a tradition :P

I'l be happy to stick an Ama team in there.

Edit: Hah, of course, it's top tier, so maybe not. I guess that would free up a bottom slot and I could play a new team there instead.

ntw
03-07-2012, 08:55 AM
I'll get signed up tonight...

:)

Kajo
03-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Just spoke to Sponge, he's not going to be able to make this season due to moving house. Could someone apply to Div C with the traditional all snotling team please?

Ooh, i second that

Wolfenswan
03-07-2012, 11:04 AM
If there's an opening in the entry divisions (unless it's Div L...) for whatever reasons I'll apply with a fresh Woodelf team. Otherwise I'd wait until next season. (do I have to change anything in the spreadsheet?)

cyberpunkdreams
03-07-2012, 05:49 PM
What's with people in this league moving house so much? Is there something going on I don't know about? Do serious BB players have to keep moving to stay underground?

Everblue
03-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Otherwise they find us.

LowKey
03-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Every player will feel the urge one day, a soft tugging of the heart that encourages them to make pilgrimage to the holy blood bowl land, which disapointingly is nottingham i guess

Kapouille
03-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Which disapointingly is nottingham i guess

I haven't thought about that... Oh dear.

Heliocentric
03-07-2012, 06:37 PM
What's with people in this league moving house so much? Is there something going on I don't know about? Do serious BB players have to keep moving to stay underground?

I don't move but constantly maintaining the fortifications is tiresome.

President Weasel
03-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Groovy, do you think you could start Dave's division (D) on Wednesday? He's going away on holiday soon.
1 and 2 are missing a man each, but you could conceivably move them up from A and B if needs be?

chadsexington
03-07-2012, 09:58 PM
There is an active new player on the sheet waiting for a spot if one becomes open if you want to do some shuffling

cyberpunkdreams
04-07-2012, 12:20 AM
disapointingly is nottingham i guess

A fine city! Well... I used to live hear there, and my favourite cult record label was based there, but I don't really feel the need to defend it.

Zenohero
04-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Hey guys this is Zenohero and i just joined RPS and the blood bowl league. I have a question, I put myself up, but i do not know if I read the spreadsheet right, but I will be assigned to a division I believe? also, I understand that I will be put in by availability, but any chance that I don't get put in with people who look at my gutter runners and see large piles of tears, star power point potential, and a rat that needs to go to skaven heaven :) ?

chadsexington
04-07-2012, 12:56 AM
I understand that I will be put in by availability, but any chance that I don't get put in with people who look at my gutter runners and see large piles of tears, star power point potential, and a rat that needs to go to skaven heaven :) ?

My glass cannon norse ended up with two dwarves and an orc team. I wish you nothing but overflowing bowls of gutter-runner stew.

Heliocentric
04-07-2012, 08:22 AM
My glass cannon norse ended up with two dwarves and an orc team. I wish you nothing but overflowing bowls of gutter-runner stew.

The glass cannon things I'd down to the wrong attitude. If you spend your time trying to block people away rather than trying to chain push, maybe use your freedom up people to arrange a triple dice frenzy (from a bezerker or an ulf+ block) where both parts of the frenzy are triple dice leaving no-one in range for a block the following turn.

You are equipped with great tools to keep your player safe.

ntw
04-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Hey guys this is Zenohero and i just joined RPS and the blood bowl league. I have a question, I put myself up, but i do not know if I read the spreadsheet right, but I will be assigned to a division I believe? also, I understand that I will be put in by availability, but any chance that I don't get put in with people who look at my gutter runners and see large piles of tears, star power point potential, and a rat that needs to go to skaven heaven :) ?

We're in the last stages of organising a fresh season, there's a slim chance we'll be able to squeeze you in but the probability is that you'll need to wait until next month when season 21 (!) starts - not that Nuffle tends to listen to probabilities...

ntw
04-07-2012, 09:00 AM

Will sponge be returning next season? Can someone check and post please?

ntw
04-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Hey,

Can I reapply with my old team again? It's still on the spreadsheet and I don't mind coming in at the bottom or whatever, just need to get my Blood Bowl fix again.

I've marked you as "Returning" on the sheet, we'll have to see how things shake out...

ntw
04-07-2012, 09:04 AM
I corrected an error on the fixture list. The Brain was due to play BOTH day 1 games so I cut him some slack and put myself in for the game against Dark Weeble. I presumed since I was facing Walrus in day 2 I couldnt also be playing him in day one

I fixed your fix (the sheet is dynamic!), but thank you for highlighting the problem :)

ntw
04-07-2012, 09:06 AM
While it would be a heap of extra work maybe rename the divisions 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d, and so on? [Teir number][Division letter]

It would break the sheet unfortunately, GoogleDocs sorting seems to be somewhat easily confused.

/edit - apologies for the post blizzard, just catching up on the thread in my simple-minded way.

El Cubo
04-07-2012, 10:56 AM
It would break the sheet unfortunately, GoogleDocs sorting seems to be somewhat easily confused.

How does the sorting go wrong? And can't you use 2.1, 2.2, 3.1 etc?

NieA7
04-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Will sponge be returning next season? Can someone check and post please?

I didn't ask, but he did say he'd be busy for a while.

Wolfenswan
04-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Someone changed my
(Welf) to [Welf] in the Spreadsheet for some reason. I changed it back to the original state of [Ama] though I'd def. be starting a fresh WElf team in the next season. Confusing enough?

ntw
04-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Someone changed my
(Welf) to [Welf] in the Spreadsheet for some reason. I changed it back to the original state of [Ama] though I'd def. be starting a fresh WElf team in the next season. Confusing enough?

Probably me, are you rebooting to WElf next season then? If so then you should change your Div to "R2" and your race to (WElf)

Zenohero
04-07-2012, 04:46 PM
We're in the last stages of organising a fresh season, there's a slim chance we'll be able to squeeze you in but the probability is that you'll need to wait until next month when season 21 (!) starts - not that Nuffle tends to listen to probabilities...

Thats alright, it will give me a chance to get a little better online and get a little better. Good luck to everyone playing and may you not suffer horrible crippling injuries first day in

Everblue
04-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Zenohero - there's an RPS challenge league you can sign up to for one off games. The link is here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?147-RPS-Blood-Bowl-Challenge-League

If you can avoid that horrible Ogre team that's in it, you might find it a more fun environment than the random matchmaking system in the public leagues. All of our steam details are available in the Divisions of Death spreadsheet, and there's usually someone online and available to play.

groovychainsaw
04-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Right, reshuffling to 'phill' in a place (seewhatididthere!) -

ntw, get yourself up to tier 2, div C to give them chaps some skaven to feed on ;-).
wink, sorry to do this (taking you from the stunty division!), but you were the next best placed person to go up a tier - you're in Tier 3, F now.

We have a spare slot at the bottom! Quickest new guy to post in here AND apply in game gets the final slot in division K. I see 2 new players in there, so first post in here will get priority as we need to get this season going. I'll be starting all seasons officially tomorrow night, and defaulting out any others who aren't available. I remember a request to start one division early, so I'll try to do that later tonight, too. Everyone ok?

Kapouille
04-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Quickest new guy to post in here AND apply in game gets the final slot in division K.

pleasebetheskavenplasebetheskaven

Edit:

orthewoodelfbutnotthechaos

Wolfenswan
04-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Quickest new guy to post in here AND apply in game gets the final slot in division K.

New new or rebooting as well?

If the latter, i'm in. Applied already just to be safe.

Zenohero
04-07-2012, 05:18 PM
might be a bit too late, but if not i'll go ahead and say that i would love to be in the division. I'll apply in a sec. and also thanks everblue, i'll probably try and get on that after applying.

chadsexington
04-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I would like to put in a vote for jayson (joeyjojojuniorshabadoo) to get in - he applied first, but is PST so will never see your post in time. He would most certainly reply when he gets home from work, but being 8 hours behind is a bit of a disadvantage to first come first serve

ntw
04-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm AFK until tomorrow night, but will move myself then. I do hope you haven't stitched me up here GC...

groovychainsaw
04-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Hmmm- thats a fair point chad - he IS N1 on the spreadsheet, so if he posts tonight (PST!) and applies in-game he can grab that spot.

I'm just trying to get us going ASAP and we've had missing new players before. Never fear though zenohero, there's still a couple AWOL, so we might get you in yet...

Some divisions have even been started, but I can't face sorting out fixtures tonight (long day!) so I'll do it tomorrow. Div C, as PW requested, IS organised so maddave can get his game in.

chadsexington
04-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks groovy I'll make sure he gets it done tonight. Now, about moving my Norse from the tough bashy league to the squishy half long league... ;)

Kapouille
04-07-2012, 10:06 PM
pleasebetheskavenplasebetheskaven

Edit:

orthewoodelfbutnotthechaos

Crap... That's chaos...

Heliocentric
04-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Now, about moving my Norse from the tough bashy league to the squishy half long league... ;)

Bring a bucket to your matches, you'll need to it to get your players at the end of the match.

Crap... That's chaos...
You too.

chadsexington
04-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Bring a bucket to your matches, you'll need to it to get your players at the end of the match.

Yeah, I kinda get a little over zealous when I think I can bash the other team and it usually leads to nothing but failure. also, I'm ok with not being gang fouled every turn.

Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo
05-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Hey im good to go ill apply in blood bowl tonight

Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo
05-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Applied to K

INinja132
05-07-2012, 01:03 AM
I've marked you as "Returning" on the sheet, we'll have to see how things shake out...

Alright then, I'll keep an eye on the thread etc.

potatoedoughnut
05-07-2012, 02:31 AM
Crap... That's chaos...

Brand new chaos teams aren't that scary. They have no skills, just a bit of str to deal with. It's once they get 1600+ with a skill or two on most players and a couple killer bastards that they really get scary.

Take advantage of them while they're still weak :)

Squiz
05-07-2012, 07:24 AM
... also, I'm ok with not being gang fouled every turn.Who says you won't? *hires a Goblin* Did I mention that I've got Heliocentric on my team?

Heliocentric
05-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Brand new chaos teams aren't that scary. They have no skills, just a bit of str to deal with. It's once they get 1600+ with a skill or two on most players and a couple killer bastards that they really get scary.

Yeah, while norse are bastards right out of the box with jump up+frenzy+block=bezerker,the block+dauntless thrower/runner,st4+ frenzy ulf and the cheap as toffee blocking linemen. Sure dwarfs are a menace, but they are slow, Norse MV6 makes my undead look pathetically slow. My only respite is when we both reach 1600 TV I will come into my prime with skilled linemen and the norse will implode after a handful of injuries.

Kapouille
05-07-2012, 08:09 AM

I'm not sure whether I can really take advantage of them, but i'll try not to be owned.

/me sharpens the team's shoe studs.

Edit: /me suddenly realises halflings and treemen don't wear shoes. mmmmh.

ntw
05-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Sharpen their toes instead!

El Cubo
05-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Sharpen their toes instead!

And make them wear sharp pots on their heads!

The in-game calendar for Div B differs from the one in the spreadsheet. I don't really mind, since I'm not that keen on meeting Indefatigible Snoozer's army of guard-mighty blow dwarves any time soon, so I suggest you change the spreadsheet calendar :)

The correct schedule is something like this:

Week 1
LowKey vs. Indefatigible Snoozer
El Cubo vs. Nullkigan

Week 2
LowKey vs. Nullkigan
El Cubo vs. Indefatigible Snoozer

Week 3
LowKey vs. El Cubo
Nullkigan vs. Indefatigible Snoozer

groovychainsaw
05-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Some divisions have even been started, but I can't face sorting out fixtures tonight (long day!) so I'll do it tomorrow.

Quoted myself for the explanation cubo ;-)

El Cubo
05-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Quoted myself for the explanation cubo ;-)

Ah, right. One of these days I'm going to start paying attention to what other people say.

LowKey
05-07-2012, 04:29 PM
You fiend! I dont to want to play those horrid little men first!

chadsexington
05-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Who says you won't? *hires a Goblin* Did I mention that I've got Heliocentric on my team?

Oh I dont think you'll have to resort to fouling to beat me. On a side note, I almost never foul because I get sent off with dice-defying regularity

Squiz
05-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Oh I dont think you'll have to resort to fouling to beat me. On a side note, I almost never foul because I get sent off with dice-defying regularityYou could certainly give it try in our match, you'll have ~300k worth of inducements. And don't underestimate your chances, there is a reason that my team is still in the lowest Division (now Tier).

El Cubo
05-07-2012, 04:50 PM
You fiend! I dont to want to play those horrid little men first!

I'm merely acting out of self-preservation! Your players are already dead, so they won't mind.

Indefatigible Snoozer
05-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I really don't know what all the fuss is about. I only have 6 Guards and a measely 7 MBlowers. That's barely over 50% of the team!

Squiz
05-07-2012, 06:38 PM
I really don't know what all the fuss is about. I only have 6 Guards and a measely 7 MBlowers. That's barely over 50% of the team!Cripples, all of 'em.

President Weasel
05-07-2012, 07:15 PM
is there an admin around who knows how to jigger the fixtures, and could do the Champs in the next hour or so? Myself and Doughnut are scheduled to play, and this evening is one of the few times we can fit it in what with his busy schedule over the next couple of weeks and also his living 8 hours in the past.

Heliocentric
05-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Cripples, all of 'em.

I know mb lends itself to pitch control, but the SPP argument doesn't pass muster for me because of the level gradient.

If you put it on a Blitzer as their first up and yes, your pitch clearance goes up, but I suppose the synergy with claw is too much to resist.

ntw
05-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Bunch of Divs sorted and started (Champs, Tiers 1, 2 & half of 3).

DivF (DaWink) and DivH (ranek aka Karandraz) are holding us up at the moment...

wink5000
05-07-2012, 07:39 PM
ntw, get yourself up to tier 2, div C to give them chaps some skaven to feed on ;-).
wink, sorry to do this (taking you from the stunty division!), but you were the next best placed person to go up a tier - you're in Tier 3, F now.

Thats fine. I guess my application to the previous division needs to be rejected before I can apply to the div F?

wink5000
05-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Bunch of Divs sorted and started.

DivF (DaWink) and DivH (ranek) are holding us up at the moment...

Could not send an application since its pending for the other div at the moment... or for some other reason?

wink5000
05-07-2012, 07:44 PM
After some cyanide's UI soul searching I found the Cancel Application button for Div K and applied to F... Sorry for the spam :P

ntw
05-07-2012, 07:55 PM
After some cyanide's UI soul searching I found the Cancel Application button for Div K and applied to F... Sorry for the spam :P

I may also have rejected you from the other Div, either way I'm accepting your app now and then staring the season and checking the fixtures

ntw
05-07-2012, 07:57 PM
And DivF started now, please check your fixtures against the sheet though guys, the vodka may have been affecting my judgement as I have progressed through checking the teams and fixtures...

President Weasel
05-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Bunch of Divs sorted and started (Champs, Tiers 1, 2 & half of 3).

DivF (DaWink) and DivH (ranek aka Karandraz) are holding us up at the moment...

Thanks ntw!

An excellent game between my Chaosmans and Potatoedoughnuts necro team finished 1-1, which is probably a fair result after an eventful and evenly matched opening game in the Champs (and indeed the opening match of the entire Divisions of Death this season; quite an honour).
I did come within a single go for it of winning, and the turn before that I had a pretty decent shot at a touchdown which was derailed by double skulls - but that was my fault for not keeping a reroll handy. Potatoe had a shot at winning too, so the 1-1 does seem fair.
Nobody died; the worst injury of the game was one of my beastmen breaking his jaw on that double skull, which seems rather like adding injury to insult.

Cheers for playing, PD.

sketchseven
05-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Sorry - are we still waiting on Div I to kick off?

Thanks ntw for all the admin-awesomeness :)

President Weasel
05-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Sorry - are we still waiting on Div I to kick off?

Thanks ntw for all the admin-awesomeness :)

You can see the Division statuses here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0Vre Xc&authkey=CLqFqKgH&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=26

looks like the divisions are all nearly ready to go apart from a couple of stragglers.
Also, I second the ntw-thankery. He's good people.

potatoedoughnut
05-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Yup, thanks for the game PW. I think the 1-1 was pretty fair result. We both came within a couple die rolls of a win in the last 3 or so turns, but nuffle just wasn't having it.

I'm happy I made it through the match with only 2 injuries, and neither were long term. I hope I fare as well vs Grinn's orcs.

Naturally I plan to draw against Jiiiiim for the last match of the season.

karandraz
05-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Damm I thought I had already applied, I shall attend to this post haste!

Kapouille
05-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Hey Gentleadmins, I think we will need new discussion forums for the new divisions!

groovychainsaw
05-07-2012, 11:42 PM
All divisions started apart from L , fixtures checked (badly, as usual) and new discussion groups added.

Zenohero, if you're still available, an application to L will take rhylok's place, as he is AWOL. Everyone else, enjoy the season!

SEASON 20 IS GO!

MadDave123
06-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Heading to a few spots in that Europe from tomorrow, so my first game will be forfeit.

Mr. Hutton you can consider yourself well and truly safe from my stinky Nurgle tendrils... for now. :)

Zenohero
06-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Alright thank you groovy, I just applied. I just looked at my division and I must say that I am feeling pretty horrified, here's hoping I can at least keep one gutter runner alive to keep through the season

chadsexington
06-07-2012, 02:46 AM
Alright thank you groovy, I just applied. I just looked at my division and I must say that I am feeling pretty horrified, here's hoping I can at least keep one gutter runner alive to keep through the season

I will avenge my pub-league gobbo's and kill a gutter runner or three

Zenohero
06-07-2012, 03:10 AM
Lol, watching your chainsaw wielding lunatic goblin chase my defenseless gutter runners up and down the field was the most horrifying thing I've ever had happen to my Skaven team. The fact that I'm with you 2 dwarves and an orc team is leaving me with the impression that I'm the big juicy spp steak that they get to beat out of me. I guess relying on the tactic of lying down on the ground and whimpering might give me some respite

20phoenix
06-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Lol, watching your chainsaw wielding lunatic goblin chase my defenseless gutter runners up and down the field was the most horrifying thing I've ever had happen to my Skaven team. The fact that I'm with you 2 dwarves and an orc team is leaving me with the impression that I'm the big juicy spp steak that they get to beat out of me. I guess relying on the tactic of lying down on the ground and whimpering might give me some respite

As a fellow rat coach I find this my go-to strategy. Then when they turn their back on you in disgust, jump up nab the ball and leg it squeaking up the field.

The Brain
06-07-2012, 02:14 PM
I guess relying on the tactic of lying down on the ground and whimpering might give me some respite

I don't recommend trying this tactic against Heliocentric. Bad things tend to happen to anyone who lies on the ground around his players.

Janek
06-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Argh. Hard drive failure. Hopefully back tomorrow but posting just in case.

President Weasel
06-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Argh!
I hope you get the thing un-failed.

DWZippy
06-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Me and Helio played today in the match of the red skulls. After many red skulls, an injury and a scoreline of 2-1 to helio?

The game Cyanided. We'll play again sometime.

Heliocentric
06-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Me and Helio played today in the match of the red skulls. After many red skulls, an injury and a scoreline of 2-1 to helio?

The game Cyanided. We'll play again sometime.Like... 25 red skulls came up, it was insane. Just threw the log into BB Manager

apparently I lost 4 - 2 and... Wtf BBM

DWZippy
06-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Yeah, we tried a rematch. I was winning. Game cyanided.

Heliocentric
06-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah, we tried a rematch. I was winning. Game cyanided.

My timeout selected Flesh Golem winger had you on the ropes!

Best of 3?

Janek
07-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Okay hard drive replaced and Windows reinstalled. Now to get things running as I want them. Hnngh.

Indefatigible Snoozer
07-07-2012, 03:18 PM
The Opening match of Div B was always going to be a block fest, with El Cubo's Wayward Gladiators (Norse) vs my Dwarven Giants (Dwarves).

I elected to kick, and Cubo's Gladiators proceeded down the pitch apace, breaking through on turn 4, and forced to score with several enthusiastic dwarves waddling quickly in the direction of the ball carrier. 1 CAS and 2 KOs suffered by the Norse, but both KOs woke up and the Norse were at full strength for the Dwarven drive. The ball landed in the Dwarven TD area, so the stunted ones proceeded to bash at the Norse line in an effort to create a hole. A couple of stuns and a CAS resulted, while the ball was retrieved and handed-off to Mr Ridiculous (my Str 4 AG 5 Runner), who headed for the end zone. More Norse went down, and my dwarves attempted to tie up the remaining Northmen, but one got loose and managed to knock over Mr Ridiculous within sight of the goal line. Then this brave Norseman picked up the ball, and stood in the far right corner of the pitch, with the express intention of 'taking one of the team'. His wish was granted, and he went into the crowd with the ball. The ball landed in the centre, halfway to the Norse TD line, where it was retrieved by my other runner and run in on the last turn of the first half.

1-1 at half time.

Receiving again, the Dwarves again started by punching Norse in the face. The CAS and KOs were starting to stick, and I believe the Norse were down at least at the start of the drive, and then lost a few more. The numbers began to tip against the Norse, as I Mr Ridiculous lurked in ma back field, waiting for an opportunity to pass off to one of my blitzers or my other runner to run in the second TD. One flank was shut down, so I switched to the other side, then decided to blitz through the middle where the Snow Troll (who spent a lot of the game going wild) had been left isolated and suseptible to a blitz. Some heroic dodging and desparate blitzing were for naught, as I scored on turn 15.

With two turns to go, the Norsemen had a last chance to tie up the game. And they came very close, with a virtually perfect run of dice seeing them form a formidible cage in my half, with a Runner only 2 GFIs away from the TD line. I misjudged my final blitzing opportunity (mainly due to exceptional player placement by Cubo), the runner dodged free of my markers, knocked over the one blocking dwarf with a 1D block and.... failed the first gfi, with no TRRs left to save him.

Final score: 2-1 to the Dwarves.

It was not as bloody as Cubo had feared, although he did suffer 3 CAS and at least 5-6 KOs. No injuries or KOs for the dwarves, which was perhaps the biggest surprise given the enthusiasm with which Cubo used PO and his clawing troll.

Thanks for a great, tense finish Cubo, and good luck with against the rest of our bashy division.

El Cubo
07-07-2012, 04:02 PM
More Norse went down, and my dwarves attempted to tie up the remaining Northmen, but one got loose and managed to knock over Mr Ridiculous within sight of the goal line. Then this brave Norseman picked up the ball, and stood in the far right corner of the pitch, with the express intention of 'taking one of the team'. His wish was granted, and he went into the crowd with the ball. The ball landed in the centre, halfway to the Norse TD line, where it was retrieved by my other runner and run in on the last turn of the first half.

I placed the runner so that you couldn't get it free without throwing the guy into the crowd, hoping that the ball would land in some inconvenient place. But it landed within easy reach of your other runner so that didn't work out so well. Although, that one had only ag3 so I did manage to make scoring a little harder.

It was a fun match. I felt like the underdog, but almost managed to pull a draw. Only three linemen got injured, so overall I figure I came through ok. I had a slight strength advantage, which helped. I induced an extra apotechary, but never used either of them! Should've taken that extra RR instead.

X_kot
07-07-2012, 06:32 PM
The Knuckle Heads (Ogr, X_kot) 1 - 0 The London Silly Nannies (Cha, Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo)

It was a bashy game with remarkably few injuries (no chaosmen vs 3 snotlings), and both teams had difficulty moving the ball in a meaningful way. With 440k of inducements, the Nannies opted for a smorgasbord of a wizard, a babe, a reroll, and an apothecary. They elected to receive, and a short kick landed only a few yards behind the LoS. An overzealous frenzy from the minotaur ended the receiving team's first turn prematurely, at which point snotlings began to swarm forward and ogres pushed ahead. Pressure from the ogres prevented the chaos team from picking up the ball, allowing the Knucklers to successfully complete a TTM-TD on Turn 7...and then half-time was called. A couple of turns of ineffectual hitting ensued, followed by the regulation half-time. (The goblin referees responsible for the error have been gang pressed into playing in the Stunty Leeg.)

The second half started with a touchback given to an ogre runner, who was struck by lightning as the team started to cage up. A mad melange ensued around the ball, and the Nannies came very close to equalizing in the closing seconds of the match, denied by a unfavorable 2d block.

Both joey and I had streaky dice - he had a series of pushes followed by a triple skull against a snot, and I had four failed boneheads in a row. We both came out unscathed from the encounter, at least. On to the half-men!

Zoraster
07-07-2012, 06:42 PM
NTW; when you get a minute the above Division K match is showing up as a draw for the Chaos team in the table.

Kapouille
07-07-2012, 08:30 PM
On to the half-men!

Come get some! (I bet I can out-badluck you!)

ntw
07-07-2012, 10:16 PM
NTW; when you get a minute the above Division K match is showing up as a draw for the Chaos team in the table.

Fixed, thanks for the heads-up :)

Dog Pants
07-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Div A: Beasts of Bembridge (NUR, Janek) 1 - 0 Anupshi Rises (KHE, Dog Pants)
The match begins with Anupshi Rises receiving, pushing up their right field and easing the Beasts of Bembridge away from the side line. The pressure proves too much though, squeezing the offence against the edge of the pitch, and the slippery Thro-Ras withdraw to quickly slip towards the left flank. With a reduced cage the ball carrier is blitzed and recovers, but the ball comes loose a second time as the Khemri make another push. With little lime left in the half an elf-ball pass to a skeleton is attempted with predictable results, the ball landing at the thrower's feet. As the Beasts close in the Thro-Ra dashes up field for a futile pass forward to get the ball into safety, fumbling again and allowing the Nurgle team to play a superb run and pass which falls short of glory only when a Pestigor fails a Go For It on the touchline. Before he can recover to score, the half time whistle blows.

The second half starts with a strong Beast cage assaulting the centre of the Khemri defence, the Beast of Nurgle injuring a Tomb Guardian in the process. The offence piles right for a strong drive down the edge of the field, but the ball carrier is blitzed by a loose Tomb Guardian who has worked around behind, slowing the attack to a brawl. This saps away the time before the Beasts recover the ball once more and break free of the melee. The defence looks like it may rally in time, but the marking Tomb Guardian is killed by a Warrior leaving only a lone Thro-Ra to try to stop the ball carrier. As his team mates teach the Khemri last man a lesson in when to use discretion, the Pestigor runs in an uncontested touchdown. With mere seconds left on the clock both teams cut their losses and step back for a brutal Beasts of Bembridge victory.

darkweeble
08-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Just had my game vs 20phoenix Cyanide out on turn 15. It was 4-0 and was either going 4-1 or 5-0 as I was about to throw a goblin. Can we have it reset if necessary? We're going to try again another night. Would be a bummer for him to have to lose all the SPP he gained.

20phoenix
08-07-2012, 12:57 AM
My plucky rats have been sent back to their sewers to collect themselves for another assault with various forms of weaponry. Hope they keep their chainsaw/bomb/ball and chain/troll fist proof armour second time round :)

ntw
08-07-2012, 01:00 AM
@ DW & 20p - the result doesn't seem to have been saved, nothing to reset...

Indefatigible Snoozer
08-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Hey, Both of Div B's first round games are done, and it would be great if I could get my second round game done this afternoon. Could a benevolent Admin roll Div B on? Can any admin do it, or just the Div B admin (which I think is Groovy?)?

Jiiiiim
08-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Magnates (Jim, lizards) v Rok-Ard Nobz (Grinn, orcs)

The entirity of the game was played in Sweltering Heat, which rolls to knock out random players at the start of every drive. So we were already at the mercy of nuffle every time somebody scored. Two moments defined it decisively in favour of the magnates.

First, with me on a bit of the back foot having received the ball first. I'd committed heavily to one side and I was trying desperately to surf the couple of orcs I'd trapped near the sidelines. A krox bonehead suddenly made that very difficult, and I decided to try something risky, a -2 dice block with a skink. If successful, it'd surf a black orc. I had a reroll and wrestle but still, risky. Anyway the dice came up pow and powpush, the blorc was surfed, badly hurt, and I was able to surf another few players over the next few turns. By the end of the first half, Grinn was down to around about seven players, with three injured, and that skinkpush was the catalyst for it. I've never actually used crowdsurfing that effectively before.

Then at the start of the second half, as the orcs lined up with low numbers to receive themselves, I rolled a blitz. Skinks flooded through their thin lines, caught the ball and ran in another touchdown, 2-0 with not much hope of recovery at that point. Grinn fought hard, scored a consolation and some bad positioning on my behalf gave him a semi-opening on turn 15 but I was able to slam it shut and score another.

3-1 to the Magnates, our unbeaten streak continues to grow, now at 11 games.

JayTee
08-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Agathis Avengers (Wood Elf - AgP) vs. Dead Comic Society (Khemri - me)

0 - 2

To cut a long story short AgP got screwed at every turn by injury rolls, all told the Comics handed out 9 KOs and 5 injuries. The Avengers did manage to KO 2 Tomb Guardians, one of them spent virtually the entire match sleeping at the side and collected the match MVP for his amazing contribution to the team.

The Comics went 1-0 up just before halftime, though thanks to some silly blocking before moving players it required a lot of GFIs and luck to move the slowass Thro-Ra up before the whistle. The second half started with a Blitz, allowing the Comics to place players around where the ball was going to end but the Avengers did manage to snaffle the ball and almost got their carrier out of harms way. But a couple of Skeletons were just in range and the ridiculous block dice luck of the Comics gave them a pow and a KO. The Comics recovered the ball and ground their way up the field, with the number of KOs and injuries being handed out the Avengers lacked bodies to stop and the second TD to finish the match was fairly easily walked in.

Utterly utterly brutal. AgP barely had players on the field at various points only having 5 Elves against 10 Khemri and the block dice just kept favouring me by handing out Pows all over the shop.

ntw
08-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Hey, Both of Div B's first round games are done, and it would be great if I could get my second round game done this afternoon. Could a benevolent Admin roll Div B on? Can any admin do it, or just the Div B admin (which I think is Groovy?)?

Any admin could do it (we are all delegated permissions on each others divisions). I'm away from my games PC so I can't do it at the moment :(

Squiz
08-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Played chadsexington tonight, 2-0 for his Norse. Could we get a validation please?

chadsexington
08-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Played the first match of division 'L' (Company 'L'? But they smell!).

I've been having terrible diceluck this past week, and every time I try to convince myself its in my head and go out and try again with a fresh outlook nuffle reminds me that its not going to work. Last game I played I lost due to a TREEMAN intercepting a sure TD pass.

But I digress, I came in again with a fresh outlook.

We lined up and I elected to receive. I had plans for my yeti smashing a nearby blackorc with claw, hoping to knock him out early.

Kickoff rolls Pitch Invasion and both teams get an equal score. My entire front line goes down while none of Squirrel's are touched. I feel the dice turning once again.

I cage the ball and fumble it, with reroll. Some positioning occurs and I move the cage up past centrefield. I use my second reroll avoiding skulls, but I manage to crowdsurf someone in the process. I attempt to use frenzy to setup a multiple player crowdsurf attempt, but i'm so focused on the shitty dice I assume I'm going to have I screw it up rather badly and leave them unable to be crowdsurfed - just knocked down.

Third turn starts and I see the opportunity to crowdsurf TWO players this round - one of them a blackorc.

For some reason I move my yeti first. Never do that. He pushes on his first roll, doubleskulls and loners away his reroll.

Some more mashing occurs and I get the better of it and am able to form a loose cage and continue pushing downwards, skipping the GFI TD on turn 7 because I have no rerolls and I'm damned if I'm going to let nuffle take this from me.

Squirrel pushes several of his players around to hit the ends of my forward cage and charges his L4 blitzer up to make the tackle, but unfortunately fails the second GFI, giving me a quick Turn 8 TD.

Second half

I reform everyone on the line, putting my yeti front and centre, hoping the extra AV will keep him safe.

Squirrel jams everyone around him, knocks him down, and fouls him, breaking his neck. Oops. AG zero anyone?

Again the mashing ensues, and I see another crowdsurf opportunity and push my ST1 'zerker to throw him out. I notice the mistake I've made as the Troll is but two squares away from pushing the offending zerker out of bounds as well. For some reason, he chooses to surf the runner beside him instead.

I crash the cage, marking the ball carrier and making a general nuisance of myself. Some clutch dodges moves my berzerker away from the troll and far upfield.

Squirrel manages to extract his ballcarrier, but fails to protect him and he gets knocked down by the aforementioned berzerker. Two clutch dodges and a pickup within tacklezones later, the magic orc 'Heliocentric' has picked up the ball and ran downfield. It is tragically shortlived, however, as he is quickly marked and knocked down. Squirrel fails the GFI necessary to mark the ball, which is easily picked up and then run into the endzone two turns later.

GG

2-0 Norwegian Fancy Nancies.

Squiz
08-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Nice writeup, it just wasn't a good game. There seems to be something that I am missing, constantly, about the game. I mean, I had the skill advantage and even more strength on the field and still manage to throw it all away. Somehow I make vital mistakes in my positioning, my guys are always a) on their own or b) not able to play to their strength, because they are marked and loose their assists.

There are of course some resources out there that help you with tips and advice. I've read playbooks, I watched plays on FUMBBLE and on youtube, I listened to podcasts on the matter, and still I am not getting better. This game sometimes feels like work to me. I just don't seem to get it.

That crowdsurf of me is a perfect example - I could have pushed a much more valuable piece off the pitch. But I chose a Linemen or whatnot. Even with 4min turns I quickly loose track of the overall play.

Argh.

/rant

Edit: Sorry chad, this isn't your fault. You just played way better than me. Still need to take defeats more relaxed and sportsmanlike.

Alistair Hutton
08-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Nice writeup, it just wasn't a good game. There seems to be something that I am missing, constantly, about the game. I mean, I had the skill advantage and even more strength on the field and still manage to throw it all away. Somehow I make vital mistakes in my positioning, my guys are always a) on their own or b) not able to play to their strength, because they are marked and loose their assists.

If you specifically think that it is positioning that's letting you down then think about taking Guard when you Black Orcs and Blitzers level. Lots and lots of Guard. Guard allows you to cover up a multitude of sins when it comes to positional play.

Squiz
08-07-2012, 10:06 PM
That's true, Guard is great. It just doesn't improve my positional game.

Edit: Thinking of it, it's not just positional play. It's also a lack in awareness of skills on the field and how to deal with them. And not being able to score...

chadsexington
08-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Edit: Sorry chad, this isn't your fault. You just played way better than me. Still need to take defeats more relaxed and sportsmanlike.

You did answer helio's poll on ethics rather succinctly with that T16 foul ;)

Everblue
08-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Xenny's Berserkers 1 - 1 Doomdark's Revenge in Division J. Could I get it adminned please as I am going to buy a lovely big minotaur. Thank you.

cyberpunkdreams
09-07-2012, 12:12 AM
It's also a lack in awareness of skills on the field and how to deal with them.

That's a really, really big deal. I feel that I've got a lot to learn too, especially when it comes to positioning, but when I mastered that aspect, I felt my game go up a level or two just like that. Before the beginning of a match, I always check out all the opposing player's skills and make sure that I'm thoroughly aware of my own, and then keep checking out where all the skills are all the time. I think it makes even more difference than solid positioning tbh.

Screwie
09-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Which skills in particular cause you trouble? This is the sort of thing the friendly people here will jump to offer their own advice on :)

chadsexington
09-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Which skills in particular cause you trouble? This is the sort of thing the friendly people here will jump to offer their own advice on :)

The first was frenzy - He positioned his guys within two squares of the sidelines on kickoff, allowing for an easy turn 1 surf. I think frenzy takes a while to get used to - you have to be burned by it a few times before taking proper precautions.

sketchseven
09-07-2012, 02:56 AM
He positioned his guys within two squares of the sidelines on kickoff

I am still being burned by this particular problem - I keep forgetting to move people myself when I use a team default to just quickly lay players out on the pitch during setup.

chadsexington
09-07-2012, 03:22 AM
I am still being burned by this particular problem - I keep forgetting to move people myself when I use a team default to just quickly lay players out on the pitch during setup.

Well, I don't use the normal layouts... nor do I have a friggen clue as to what I am doing when I position my guys at kickoff. I would love to see a handy guide as to what to do, because I'm more or less just putting people in random spots.
...was that effective at all or did you ask wtf I was doing ;)

Squiz
09-07-2012, 06:28 AM
@Cyberpunkdreams, Screwie: That's pretty much how I do things as well. I check my opponent's roster and the position of his skills on the field. I think it has more to do with the multitude of different situations that arise during a match and how skills change those. The best example would be a scrum on the sidelines or a brawl along the line of scrimmage. To me it appears almost like a mathematical problem to figure out how to best get assists and distribute tackle zones on the opponent's team, to foresee where the game will go (i.e. where the ball moves) and how react to that.

Concerning Frenzy: Again, I know how that skill works and I know that I shouldn't set my guys up near the widezones. I really have no idea why those players where there.

Well, I don't use the normal layouts... nor do I have a friggen clue as to what I am doing when I position my guys at kickoff. I would love to see a handy guide as to what to do, because I'm more or less just putting people in random spots.
...was that effective at all or did you ask wtf I was doing ;)If there is something I had to critizise about your play I would say it was the kick-off phase / your setup. You put your Big Guy on the Line of Scrimmage on defense, which is asking for a beating (which he got). And maybe you could have fouled more. I think that Norse profit from the numerical advantage on the field more than other teams. But I guess you did just fine.

Edit: On positioning in general: I believe you can't really master positional play that easy. For that you have to factor in a lot of things, like enemy position, general playstyle, odds of blocks, distances between players, etc. . My positional play has improved over time, at least a bit, especially while playing a Human team in the Challenge League. The Orcs give me huge trouble though since I can't pull of game saving actions as easy with them.

Editedit: Chad, about that foul: The discussion about T16 fouls has of course been had somewhere else before (not between the two of us, but I posted my opinion in another thread already). It may not appear as ethical to kick someone during the last turn of the match (no SPPs, no direct advantage, etc.). A potential slowing of the progression of a key player of a team that I might be facing again in a couple of games was the main reason for that.

ntw
09-07-2012, 08:47 AM
<snip>... Thinking of it, it's not just positional play. It's also a lack in awareness of skills on the field and how to deal with them. And not being able to score...

Welcome to my world ;)

Everblue
09-07-2012, 10:45 AM
About being frenzied from the kick off, it's possible to block the sidelines while being safe from being frenzied - simply drop your player nearest the sidelines back one square.

Then he's protected by the piece diagonally ahead of him from being surfed on the first turn.

I personally don't like to block the sidelines though, especially against running teams. Let them overcommit to the sideline and then crush them against it. So long as you are strong in the centre, and have sufficient depth to your formation to react to your opponent's moves, you're fine.

Screwie
09-07-2012, 11:04 AM
The other option is to set two players in your sideline, side by side. This will present the Frenzy player only unfavourable blocks while still protecting the flank.

Generally thought what Everblue says is true - it's usually easier to leave the sides empty and squeeze the opposition against them. Low MA teams will benefit more by keeping their players in the centre field too as they can cover more of the pitch. Against very fast MA runners, I would consider setting a couple of players in the deep centre of your own half to help defend against them.

Kajo
09-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Read in Tooth and Claw (Necromantic - NieA7) - Kajers (Necromantic - me)

The first match of DIV C happened to be a Necro-off, and NieA7 started at 360 more TV: i bought a fresh Golem and induced a wizard and two babes.

The two teams are very similar: RiTaC has an advantage of skills, while the Kajers has some more stats up.

Kajers won the coin flip and decided to receive, while the referee let the clock run for a turn.
The kick was picked up by a ghoul and hastily caged by his teammates.
NieA7 covered heavily that flank, only to find the turn after it was only a screen and another cage formed in the opposite side.
He also almost managed to stop them, but two dodges of a ghoul secured the first TD with 3 turns left.

With no rerolls left, two KO's and good positioning of RiTaCs the Kajers only had the manpower to try a one dice block against the ball carrier, failed due to the ghoul tripping on a dodge.

Easy equalizer and the end of half time.

My KO's stood back up and kicked to the other side. Some punches and a failed wizard later, NieA7 stood on the half line with a loose cage, but with the strenght of the numbers.
The only way to stop him was getting a blitz on the ball carrier, ghoul vs ghoul. Having to do two dodges in tackle zones the blitz was risky, but audaces nuffle iuva and the ball changed hands.
A Werewolf and a Wight helped score the TD on turn 15.

NieA7 tried to score a 1 TTD, but made a mistake on the first blitz, so the final score was

Read in Tooth and Claw 1 - Kajers 2

Last thoughts:

- Nice game, NieA7 was a nice guy despite the lose
- Don't trust wizards
- If you put two Werewolves in adiacent squares, they seem to kiss
- Sidestep is EVIL

@Jiiiiim: I am at 9 unbeaten games in a row (16 games out of 17)... i'm coming for you :P

President Weasel
09-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Interesting theories. I always, always cover the sides - I don't see why I should let a bunch of the opposition waltz into my territory without at least having to use their blitz. Also, if you don't cover the sides and they get a blitz roll they can just run past your lines and yoink the ball. Seems to happen to me every time I choose not to protect the sides, almost as though not doing that actually causes the kickoff dice to come up blitz.

Placing your mans diagonally does protect them from frenzying, as does making an 'edge player' with frenzy and either sidestep or stand firm (if I remember right, stand firm won't save you from frenzy if the player also has juggernaut)

Everblue
09-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Also, if you don't cover the sides and they get a blitz roll they can just run past your lines and yoink the ball. Seems to happen to me every time I choose not to protect the sides, almost as though not doing that actually causes the kickoff dice to come up blitz.

I was actually talking about defending, but it's odd that not covering the sides can actually be an advantage when attacking as well. I find that it can encourage the opposition to overcommit to trying to grab the ball rather than maintain a strong centre, and all their players who ran round the side to pressure the ball can get caught badly out of position if you break through.

So I try to deliberately leave the sides open sometimes, hoping that my opponent will make a positioning error.

It's all theorycrafting mind. And yes, if there's a blitz you can be buggered.

groovychainsaw
09-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Positioning is hard - the slower your team is , the more crucial it is to get it right. Which is why I've always done pretty badly with low MA teams - not enough opportunity for a last ditch 'save' when you realise you've stretched it too far. Humans are working for me at the moment because I have 4 ma7 blitzers and 3 ma 8 catchers - helps cover a lot of positioning errors during the game :-). Always keep a safety deep and unmarked - 2 or 3 against skaven or elves, especially if you are slow. Having used it a few times now as well, pass block is nice for a low MA team to counter agile teams, moving 3 squares towards the thrower/ catcher at the right moment can be a great help on occasion, and for some teams that's almost like an additional turn of movement...

Also (I don't do this often enough), it's sometimes worth leaving one flank open on defence, and then stick your mighty blow piling on most evil safety nearer that side (but not so close they can get marked). They can run through, but they're going to get hit by your meanest player. Let them make a choice, whilst bolstering your defences elsewhere ;-).

Squiz
09-07-2012, 12:43 PM
About being frenzied from the kick off, it's possible to block the sidelines while being safe from being frenzied - simply drop your player nearest the sidelines back one square.

Then he's protected by the piece diagonally ahead of him from being surfed on the first turn.

I personally don't like to block the sidelines though, especially against running teams. Let them overcommit to the sideline and then crush them against it. So long as you are strong in the centre, and have sufficient depth to your formation to react to your opponent's moves, you're fine.Yeah, I am aware of that. St4 Ulfwerner make it a bit harder to get your players away from the sidelines though.

I probably struggled with my positioning so much because I had never faced Norse before. They are much quicker than the Orcs but do not lack Strength or Block, which is what I am used to when facing more agile teams. I failed to provide myself with free blocks through smart positioning and always got my defensive line ripped apart by Frenzy players. I'll punish myself by watching the replay tonight and try to spot my mistakes so that I might learn from them.

Another season in the abyss that is the lowest Tier it seems. I predict the Norse winning every match with me coming in second or third.

President Weasel
09-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Don't worry though, a couple of seasons in the Norse will get ripped apart facing teams who have developed block and guard and who have been wearing armour all along. It's pretty lonely in a fur loincloth when you're facing a green tide of skilled-up orcs.

Squiz
09-07-2012, 01:09 PM
That's true. Right now, however, my Orcs are leveling up in the newbie Divisions and I am not sure how much sympathy that will net me in the long run. At least I just lack Block on one of my Black Orcs.

El Cubo
09-07-2012, 01:21 PM
To me it appears almost like a mathematical problem to figure out how to best get assists and distribute tackle zones on the opponent's team, to foresee where the game will go (i.e. where the ball moves) and how react to that.

But it is a mathematical (perhaps statistical?) problem. The game is all about managing probabilities. How to do things the safest way and how to make things hard for your opponent. I like to think of the game as a mix of chess and dice poker.

Concerning Frenzy: Again, I know how that skill works and I know that I shouldn't set my guys up near the widezones. I really have no idea why those players where there.

That's a lesson that every coach must learn the hard way and you'll get burned as your Blood Bowl instincts develop. Don't blame yourself over that.

Edit: On positioning in general: I believe you can't really master positional play that easy. For that you have to factor in a lot of things, like enemy position, general playstyle, odds of blocks, distances between players, etc. . My positional play has improved over time, at least a bit, especially while playing a Human team in the Challenge League. The Orcs give me huge trouble though since I can't pull of game saving actions as easy with them.

Orcs are so slow that recovering from bad positioning is hard. In that regard skavens, for instance, are more newbie friendly team. High MA is forgiving so you can still try to get back into the game if your opponent is getting away. Their low AV also teaches a certain lesson about positioning but, thanks to their cheap players, it's also easy to get back in the saddle in case of injuries.