PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The many, many Divisions of Death!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

20phoenix
09-07-2012, 01:52 PM
For me with defensive setups its all down to what team i'm playing with, playing against and what I want from the drive. If I need the ball my wracklers are three squares off the LOS (to avoid quick snap free hits), if i'm trying to prevent a score my ball hunters are dropped deep as safetys usually with a guard to assist.

If you are a slow team I think you are better off leaving the wide areas but ensure you have at least two players that can reach the furthest possible square. Against fast teams or elves consider giving them the middle as you can collapse your defence on top of them creating a defensive cage around anyone who breaks through. This makes them roll a lot of dice to break free.

As someone else said - big guys don't automatically go on the LOS. This is even more true with tentacled big guys as the last thing you want with, for example a beast is it to be tied up in a slugfest with other big guys. You want it with the opponents fastest players around it screaming in fear as they fail miserably at getting away.

For me the game is all about counters - what are my opponents danger pieces. How can I stop them doing their job? Try to think a turn or two ahead. The game gets a lot easier if you dictate to the opponent where hes going to go as you can have the pieces in place to counter his move. If you're attacking figure out where you want to go before you move anything. Try to have a plan B in case Plan A goes tits up.

Squiz
09-07-2012, 02:23 PM
For me the game is all about counters - what are my opponents danger pieces. How can I stop them doing their job? Try to think a turn or two ahead. The game gets a lot easier if you dictate to the opponent where hes going to go as you can have the pieces in place to counter his move. If you're attacking figure out where you want to go before you move anything. Try to have a plan B in case Plan A goes tits up.Sound advice, although it all has to happen in under 4 minutes, every turn. That's what I meant when I said that I have trouble keeping track of all the stuff going on. Maybe I just need more experience. Show me a certain situation from a match and ask me what the best move during each player's turn would be and it will take me a long time to come up with something sensible.

NieA7
09-07-2012, 02:26 PM
The only way to stop him was getting a blitz on the ball carrier, ghoul vs ghoul. Having to do two dodges in tackle zones the blitz was risky, but audaces nuffle iuva and the ball changed hands.

It was a hell of a move, in addition to the two dodges into tackle zones there were two dodges out of tackle zones, a two dice blitz where only POW would do and a ball catch in a tackle zone. Of such move are legends made.

As for setting up I feel the same way as 20phoenix, defensive setups are all about the strengths of the opponent. For bashy/slow teams I tend to huddle in the middle, leaving the wide zones open (hopefully tempting them down there - a slow team wouldn't be able to get too many players through, and there's always the chance of crowd surfs) and minimizing the turn 1 blitz risk. Kick helps immensely for this, giving you the chance to punish asymmetrical setups by dropping the ball miles away. For fast/agile teams it's more about getting as many tackle zones spread out over the pitch as possible, while leaving one or two players back as a reserve.

I never put big guys or positional players on scrimmage on defense, it's what linemen were born for. Giving away a free hit on a valuable player is seldom worth the risk, especially as pulling them back slightly allows them to redeploy where needed on your turn. Three linemen with block/wrestle and fend will do to job just as well if not better.

chadsexington
09-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Another season in the abyss that is the lowest Tier it seems. I predict the Norse winning every match with me coming in second or third.

Hey, come now, I lost every game last season - didn't even score a TD. No way this division is sealed up

Squiz
09-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Hey, come now, I lost every game last season - didn't even score a TD. No way this division is sealed upI guess that wasn't in the new guys' Division though? Sorry if I am making false assumptions here, but seeing that you are not that new to BB and that the Orcs already have some skills, I thought that would be a likely result.

President Weasel
09-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Sound advice, although it all has to happen in under 4 minutes, every turn. That's what I meant when I said that I have trouble keeping track of all the stuff going on. Maybe I just need more experience. Show me a certain situation from a match and ask me what the best move during each player's turn would be and it will take me a long time to come up with something sensible.

Speaking as someone who has clawed his way all the way up the greasy pole of the ladder of success to the very tip of the pyramid of the Divisions (for one glorious season), I strongly suggest (and this may sound counterintuitive) doing some 2 minute games.
If you're having trouble with the 4 minute game you're probably overthinking it; two minute games will teach you how to make a decent move quickly, instead of making the absolute best move but not leaving yourself enough time to do anything else. There should be several fairly obvious moves you will make first every turn - standing men up, moving men to mark runners, maybe getting a runner of your own within scoring distance as an option for a pass or handoff - before you even do anything else, and it should become second nature to do that kind of move without even really thinking about it (except maybe thinking 13 squares from midway to the line, how many moves has this runner got, do I need to make a GFI now?).
You should also be making half-formed plans while the opponent is making his own move. That's 2 or 3 minutes of thinking time, right there. It's also when you should be checking the skills of the people you're planning to hit or who might hit you.

Oh, and there should always be a couple of half-formed moves in your mind, and scattered around the board as options. Are you defending? Do you need to move your safety to mark or tackle a runner? Swing another player from the unthreatened side of your line into the centre to replace the safety before you do anything else. That should be second nature after a while, so you won't need to think about it.
Does your team have any ball handling skills at all? Then you should try to always have a couple of players placed to do a handoff and a run and a pass and a run, whisking the ball off into the distance, just in case you get a sniff of the ball and Nuffle fancies giving you some good dice for the elfballs.
Are you being pushed towards the sidelines? If you can't get enough support to get a decent block on the bullying player, end the turn by trying a dodge or an unlikely to succeed block, since if you're on the floor you can't get shunted off the pitch and you never know, you might succeed.
During the enemy turn work out which players you might need to move, and the sequence of blocks you will need to free them up.

You barely have to consciously think about that stuff after a while - and while it does mean you occasionally make a less-than-optimal move, it does mean you don't run out of clock time. Once you can do a decent job in a 2-minute game come back to 4, and you can alternate between luxuriating in the sheer ridiculous amount of time you have to take your turn, and boredom and annoyance at the amount of thinking your opponent, Thinky McThinkerton, seems compelled to do before moving argle bargle argle will you stop thinking and move a man.

Wolfenswan
09-07-2012, 05:04 PM
I make similar mistakes to squirrel's and wouldn't mind playing a few training games with select rookie teams against other people. We could use the RPS FFA league (forgot the name) or start our own league with specific rules for training (e.g. the 2 minutes)

Everblue
09-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Once you can do a decent job in a 2-minute game come back to 4, and you can alternate between luxuriating in the sheer ridiculous amount of time you have to take your turn, and boredom and annoyance at the amount of thinking your opponent, Thinky McThinkerton, seems compelled to do before moving argle bargle argle will you stop thinking and move a man.

This. I played Xenny last night and, while she was a cunning and wily opponent (while at the same time being a very pleasant conversationalist and a seemingly very nice person all round), she took 4 MINUTES FOR EVERY MOVE. I am certain that if I had not been desperate for (i) the loo, and (ii) a beer, by the end of the game I would not have conceded the late TD.

Perhaps that was the plan...

potatoedoughnut
09-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Playing 2 min turns helped my play a lot. I HATED it for the first couple games I played it, but when I can back to 4min turns I found I was much more efficient and did a lot less overthinking trying to get the perfect play.

Sometimes you need the full 4 to put together your awesome super play to win the game on turn 16, but most turns can easily be done in 2 minutes.

Also, the challenge league can be set for either 4min or 2min turns.

Also also, as PW said you should be active during your opponent's turn checking out his players/skills and forming a plan for what you will do on your turn.

Gorm
09-07-2012, 05:18 PM
I always try and play 2 minute games outside of the RPS leagues, so yea the 4 minutes can seem really boring to me sometimes so i usually have a podcast playing or i will be painting up some figures at the same time. While i dont do as well as PW, i do think that playing 2 minute turns will help you. I also think that there arent many occasions when you can say what "the best" move would be. You can say the most likely to succedd but not "the best".

Squiz
09-07-2012, 05:30 PM
I hereby pledge to play my future Challenge League matches using 2min turns, at at least a 3:1 ratio to my 4min games. If I fail to do so Nuffle's wrath shall strike me down (at least at 5/6 chance, possibly re-rolled).

chadsexington
09-07-2012, 06:01 PM
if I had not been desperate for (i) the loo, and (ii) a beer, by the end of the game I would not have conceded the late TD.

Getting a beer cost me -1mv on my MB berserker in a stunning display of nuffling. I must have been injured the second I looked away from the screen as I was gone 40 seconds tops. It's exactly the sort of thing I wwas saving my apothecary for.

LowKey
09-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I too love 2 minute turns, which is why I think I have hit my personal ceiling in the DoD as I dont take the time to think.

Dog Pants
09-07-2012, 06:39 PM
PW very eloquently described what I've been thinking during this discussion. Personally I don't worry too much about positioning, opposing skills, or long term plans. I stick to the basics and play the probabilities, and let my tactics be dictated by how the field stands after every move or dice roll. No plan survives first contact, so I form vague ideas on several options and see what pans out. Positioning does come into play, moving your players to their best advantage and always keeping a couple of safeties, but since you can't guarantee where your players will be needed at any given time why worry about it? By playing the fundamentals and keeping an eye out for opportunities on both sides you can pretty much leave the details to snap decision making on a roll-by-roll basis. Of course I might suffer for my tactics against higher ranking players, but playing fast and loose with adaptive plans has served me well so far.

As an aside, is it worth us having a guide thread here to cover the fundamentals? I've written a fairly extensive one on another forum (here (http://www.5punk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=43034)) which could easily be transposed, although obviously it's only as good as my own skills and observations.

Squiz
09-07-2012, 06:49 PM
I just saw that my last game hasn't been validated yet. Could one of our lovely admins please have a look at that? Day1 , Division L, chadsexington & squirrelfanatic

Thanks!

Janek
09-07-2012, 06:55 PM
I think both Div A games need doing too. Why yes, I did get a couple of skills, how did you guess?

mrpier
09-07-2012, 07:46 PM
I agree with PW's observations, although I often tab out and go read some sites on the web in my opponents turn. I find that if I use a long time to make a move then the other player is doing something right and I'm on the ropes.

Jiiiiim
09-07-2012, 07:58 PM
I listen to music and doodle pictures of my opponent being brutally killed.

ChainsawHands
09-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Divisions L and A validated while I wait for boots468...

HURRY UP BOOTS! :-P

Heliocentric
09-07-2012, 09:08 PM
I listen to music and doodle pictures of my opponent being brutally killed.

I play windowed, and have the game visible while I read RPS forums... so meta.

Dog Pants
09-07-2012, 09:34 PM
I think both Div A games need doing too. Why yes, I did get a couple of skills, how did you guess?

Paid for with the blood* of two Tomb Guardians. Oh the humanity.

*More a dry, congealed crispy stuff really

potatoedoughnut
10-07-2012, 12:51 AM
I need some advice on a skill up. I know this isn't the kind of thing we normally discuss here at any length, but I'd like some opinions.

Mr. Sheepman, one of my wolves, has reached a dizzying level 6 without a stat or double. He currently has: block, dodge, side step, tackle (in addition to claw & frenzy he starts with).

For context on the rest of the team I have another identical wolf, 2 wights with stand firm/guard (1 also had tackle), a 9347 ghoul w/ block, an unskilled ghoul (recent replacement for a dead one), 2 golems with block, a guard zombie and some assorted fodder zombies.

My thoughts on next skills:

*- Shadowing: is annoying! MV8 means it has a good chance of triggering. With tackle this could be nasty. Just blitzing away isn't an option with sidestep (unless knockdown).

*- Jump Up: for some reason people don't like my wolves and knock them down with some regularity. Extra blocks are nice, but I forsee wasting rerolls on 1s rolled here.

*- Dauntless: for killing saurus, not that I play lizards every season or anything.

*- Fend: Could be good combined with side step to keep players where I want them.

I'm open to other skills if people have good arguments for them, but these are what immediately came to mind. Anyone have any opinions on this sort of thing?

20phoenix
10-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Second time lucky for my game against Darkweeble. The goblins fell over and even flew for a one turner, the rats bit, scratched and ran off with the win. Thanks to Darkweeble for being a thoroughly pleasant opponent and if an admin happens to be wandering past the validation room could they stick their head round the door and check for our game? I have some skill ups to attend to.....

grinn
10-07-2012, 12:59 AM
Hey Potatoe, hands down the most annoying (for your opponents) is shadowing. With blodging SS and tackle you can pin down key players to your heart's content.

On the other hand your team doesn't have a lot of str/guard so dauntless will get you out of tricky situations and give that extra bit of punch to that claw-rocket.

smaug81
10-07-2012, 01:18 AM
For what it's worth, Potatoe, I think I failed all of one Jump Up roll the entire time I was playing my Norse team, and I spent a good bit of time blocking from prone with my Berserkers. I don't recall precisely what the odds of failure are, but it always felt quite reliable (though reliable things do have a way of failing when you least want them to, of course :P).

Other than that, I don't have too much to add one way or the other, really. All the options you mention are strong contenders, though I'd tend to rank Fend a bit lower than the other three.

20phoenix
10-07-2012, 02:37 AM
If both wolves are skilled the same i'd definitely take shadowing on one of them. The other is a straight fight between jump up and dauntless. Personally i'd lean towards jump up - dauntless and frenzy can be a reroll eater/turnover machine if dauntless fails at any point.

NieA7
10-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Should both of mine get to level 6 without doubles the two skills I'd be looking at are dauntless and shadowing, with fend and sure feet as rather distant contenders. Personally I find it hard to beat bashy teams with lots of Str4 so I'd take dauntless first (I may even take it before tackle on one of them), should have a nice synergy with claws. With MV8 I'm not sure jump up is so useful - handy, but even if a wolf goes down there's another one and two ghouls about so I doubt the extra movement will be critical very often. Only other skill I'd seriously think about would be diving tackle, with shadowing to follow at 176 SPP ;)

Squiz
10-07-2012, 09:11 AM
This discussion about late skill choices for key players without stat-ups made me think. At which point (if ever) do you decide to fire your Stars in order to make room for a new, better version of him/her?

Personally, I have never been in the situation, but I guess I wouldn't have much trouble cutting and rebuying a Big Guy at/after level 3-4 if he didn't rolled doubles at at least one occasion.

JayTee
10-07-2012, 10:14 AM
For the first time in my team I've rolled a stat up. Huzzah!

So, on my Thro-Ra that already has Block & Kick-off Return I've just got a Double & +MV/+AV. I'm throwing +AV out right away as +MV is more useful, but I'm pondering between +MV and a Double.

+MV puts him up to MV7, combined with Kick-off Return makes it reasonably likely I'll be able to get him to stand on the ball (And fail the pickup...) on every kickoff. However, being faster than the rest of the team isn't entirely useful as he would be keeping pace with the cage anyway so the extra square would be somewhat wasted.

Double gives me the option of Dodge on both Thro-Ras, which means they're pretty sturdy for ball carrying against non-Tackle players and gives me a base 75% chance of succeeding a simple dodge without having to save up a RR. That said, Tackle is more prevalent at higher TVs so potentially the benefits would be nullified more often.

I can't immediately see any other Double options that would be as good as Dodge, most of the AG skills are useless on an AG2 player and the ST skills just aren't useful on a Thro-Ra as they aren't built for smashing.

I'm leaning more towards Dodge as the Thro-Ras aren't that reliable at sticking around due to AV7 and having a second Blodge carrier can help, unless anyone has any bright ideas that I've clearly missed?

groovychainsaw
10-07-2012, 10:53 AM
@Potatoe - go for Jump Up. Not only will it get you the extra blocks, but it lets you move 8 squares from prone anyway, getting more use out of your key player.

@Jaytee - Dodge probably makes the most sense, none of the passing/agility skills are going to help you much (you're short on catchers, presumably ;-D). The only other possibility - Break tackle, maybe? Effectively AG3 for one dodge away?

Skydancer
10-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Blodge throras are a pain in the ass indeed, next roll give him fend as well.

Alistair Hutton
10-07-2012, 12:18 PM
I would be tempted by the +MV on the throw RA, it raises your team's top speed to 7. That means you can be a square further away from the end-zone when you make your scoring attempt which means it's harder for your opponent to stop the cage.

President Weasel
10-07-2012, 12:25 PM
I personally believe Al Hutton is correct here, although the other arguments have merits. On the other hand, please keep in mind that I can never resist a stat up. (They said I was crazy to give a black orc +agi. Then he rolled the same stat up again, and now he's the worlds biggest, meanest green elf).

Screwie
10-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Such a shame your black orc has already had two stat downs too :(

I normally wouldn't turn down stat ups, but with some teams you have to consider not only their current skills but the number of skill-ups they will earn over their career. It can be very hard to justify that stat increase when you are aiming for a Blodging Tackling Shadowing Side Stepper in the long term and only started with one of those skills.

President Weasel
10-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Such a shame your black orc has already had two stat downs too :(

I normally wouldn't turn down stat ups, but with some teams you have to consider not only their current skills but the number of skill-ups they will earn over their career. It can be very hard to justify that stat increase when you are aiming for a Blodging Tackling Shadowing Side Stepper in the long term and only started with one of those skills.

True, but as the fastest member of the team and one of the very few who even approach "incompetent" at ball handling, he is likely to get a large percentage of the team's points.

20phoenix
10-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Take the +MV. As Al Hutton rightly pointed out its not the pace of the cage you're setting the standard by, its how far do you have to rumble that cage to get in scoring range. If not then dodge is next best. Having a blodge sure hands player makes a lot of difference. Suddenly your opponent has to work an opening to get a tackle player to get the hit in rather than just any old player.

Kajo
10-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Get the +MV!

Being able to run a square more means that the defence must place the players more loosely, giving you an edge in the end zone

cyberpunkdreams
10-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Dauntless: for killing saurus, not that I play lizards every season or anything.

Dauntless is great to have on ball-carriers when things go a bit Charlie Foxtrot and other tricky situations. If you're just keen on bringing down big guys, a bit of standard positional play should sort that out.

potatoedoughnut
10-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Dauntless is great to have on ball-carriers when things go a bit Charlie Foxtrot and other tricky situations. If you're just keen on bringing down big guys, a bit of standard positional play should sort that out.

Dauntless only works when you initiate a block or blitz. It doesn't do anything if you're the one being blocked or blitzed.

Squirrel - I don't typically fire key positionals to restart. They're usually good enough that they don't need doubles or stats to make them good. Ex: my wolves are awesome as they are, it's not worth it for me to fire one. I do fire my linemen if they reach level 3 without a double or stat (I have one level 3 zombie with block/fend that I will fire once I get another zombie with a skill so I can keep a skilled LoS).

About the wolves, I'm still not sure, but I'm leaning towards shadowing or dauntless.

cyberpunkdreams
10-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Dauntless only works when you initiate a block or blitz. It doesn't do anything if you're the one being blocked or blitzed.

For sure. I meant in situations such as your ball carrier making a desperate dash for it and gets marked up by someone a bit strong... not the kind of thing you plan for, mind!

Heliocentric
10-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Mummies need replacing as they have so few valid skills (I'd posit Grab, Stand firm and guard are the only ones worth getting) bit get one block and dodge (follow up with break tackle) or block and frenzy for a triple dice murder train.

potatoedoughnut
10-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Mummies need replacing as they have so few valid skills (I'd posit Grab, Stand firm and guard are the only ones worth getting) bit get one block and dodge (follow up with break tackle) or block and frenzy for a triple dice murder train.

I agree. Most big guys have maybe 2-3 useful skills and if they don't get a double in the first level or two they should be replaced.

I had a blackle mummy once, he was an elf murder machine.

Heliocentric
10-07-2012, 11:26 PM
I had a blackle mummy once, he was an elf murder machine.
Frenzy has a special place in my heart as it allows the slow as crud mummies to mark people on its rampage. Hell, move 2 squares on a Block? That's the same as a Mummy Blitz.

potatoedoughnut
11-07-2012, 12:12 AM
I could see it leading to a lot of turnovers on GFIs with only 3MV. It effectively limits your range to 2MV unless you want to make GFIs.

And the best part of frenzy is crowd pushing, and mummies are best in the middle of the pitch where they're harder to just run around. You do get easy stand firm access though.

potatoedoughnut
11-07-2012, 01:53 AM
3-1 to the Magnates, our unbeaten streak continues to grow, now at 11 games.

I actually have you beat there Jiiiiim! I have a 14 game unbeaten streak going, I just have lots of draws (8 draws, 6 wins). My last loss was against the Magnates too.

Now that I've noticed it I'm sure to lose my next match.

Everblue
11-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Hi admins - when does the current round end?

ntw
11-07-2012, 08:00 AM
13th - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0Vre Xc&authkey=CLqFqKgH&hl=en&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=21

Everblue
11-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Sorry - stupid question. :(

groovychainsaw
11-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Many lessons learnt last night playing hughtower's blimmin flippin awful wood elves...

1. You CANNOT beat wood elves if you injure none during the match. I scored 2 KOs (both got back up almost immediately) and one apo'd gouged eye (only caused by a failed leap). Hughtower got one injury back at me.
2. Pass block moves 3 squares. The width of your passing line is 3 squares. The guy on the other side of the pitch with the same outfit on is not the one with pass block, Groovy, it's the guy standing 4 squares from the line you are throwing.
3. Playing when already tired leads to mistakes (see above)
4. Just because the first game disconnects after a bad start doesn't mean the second game is going to change your luck suddenly.
5. All the mighty blow, block, tackle in the world cannot beat elves with 8/9 skills on them. I need more esoteric skills (diving tackle/pass block/shadowing).
6. Even a strength 5 ball carrier will be quickly stripped of the ball.
7. It doesn't matter how many players you put on or around the ball, the elves will always pick it up perfectly and pass it twice to run in a score.

3-0 to Hughtower. Team needs 'something' to deal with wood elves on the rampage. I thought it was tackle + mighty blow, but apparently not :-(

Squiz
11-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Team needs 'something' to deal with wood elves on the rampage. I thought it was tackle + mighty blow, but apparently not :-(Using your fists isn't enough when it comes to dealing with bloody Elves. Use your feet too! Diving Tackle on one or two players is also a good idea. With Ag4 a dodge away from Tacklers is still pretty likely to succeed, but make that -2 and suddenly you've got a player on the ground. Well, hopefully.

Shadowing will be very risky against Woodelves, it won't trigger that often.

Screwie
11-07-2012, 10:15 AM
"Trap" powers like Diving Tackle are fantastic, pity there aren't more of them. Shadowing works better on slower teams, so it isn't ideal for Wood Elves.

Tackle makes Diving Tackle significantly better too. Nothing worse than taking the dive on a an assured turnover only for the Dodging git to reroll and scamper away unharmed while your defender dives into the dirt.

I'd recommend more Wrestle/Strip Ball generally, plus maybe Frenzy or Grab on a couple of your heavy hitters. Frenzy to get more blocks and Grab to single out enemy elves and deal with Side Steppers. If you do take Shadowing only give it to MA 7+ guys, especially if they have Tackle too.

President Weasel
11-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Not enough Piling On, Groovy. Other than that, you're golden.
You're welcome.

Skydancer
11-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Can I ask for a delay in Div F, since we can't play the match until Sunday evening?

groovychainsaw
11-07-2012, 11:44 AM
All good advice -I'm not a fan of piling on, generally (don't like taking my players out of the game), diving tackle is a good one, especially with tackle, but again, I wouldn't want to take my blitzers out with that. Catchers are a better proposition, but when I'm not scoring, they're not levelling :-) - i had one die last season and have had no development on them in 6/7 games. I've got a bit of wrestle - strip ball is on the plan somewhere, although it wouldn't have helped last night, as most of the time hugh scored, he didn't have the ball at the start of his turn :-). Frenzy and/or grab would be perfect, and is next on the list for one/two of my blitzers, but, like the catchers, without scoring injuries, development slows right down. Grab would have been perfect last night, as at least half of hugh's team are blodge+sidestep, which was a bit of a nightmare to deal with. Shadowing is a consideration for humans, even against Welves, as you have 4 MA7 blitzers and up to 4 MA8 catchers, the catchers are a good candidate for shadowing/tackle combo.

Generally, I was just frustrated that my nice, balanced team with lots of vanilla skills (lots of blackle, good amounts of mighty blow, bit of wrestle/dodge) seemed to have no skills to help against the elves - its a bit of a gap, which is why I'm looking towards the more esoteric skills now to try and give my team some options for when I don't tear their heads off.

Interesting point - I did bash hugh's team pretty badly last season - I'm the reason he has a brand new thrower - and I won that game 2-1, it was the lack of injuries mostly that didn't let me get the same advantage last night. That and the awesomeness of hugh's pass blocker. I really want 2 catchers with pass block on defence now, to just stand in the middle of the pitch and cut out passes to elves :-).

President Weasel
11-07-2012, 12:18 PM
With Piling On (which you should always have marked as an optional skill, people) you have the choice to take your man out of the game for one turn(and leave him vulnerable to a foul (although also an immovable roadblock, which can be handy (ooh, nested brackets)))) in return for re-rolling the armour roll and possibly taking your opponent out entirely.
If it's better for you tactically to leave your man standing you can do so, but with tissue paper armour players like elves, skaven, and stunties even a single piling on player can change the whole game in your favour - especially if you can also give him jump up so he can block and pile on every turn.

Screwie
11-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Bug of the day!

It's been reported that if you move your ball carrier their full MA, then order them to GFI the full amount and throw a pass - that is to say, splitting the initial MA movement and GFI with pass into two separate inputs - the GFI checks are not always rolled. Inputting this as a single move has the correct result.

I've not confirmed this myself so I don't know how frequent it is, but found it reported by a mainstay on the official forums.

This game, man...

Squiz
11-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Bug of the day!The main thrower of my Orc team, Vinraith, cheers at these new shiny sure-feet-shoes. No honestly, I don't even know anymore where Cyanide comes up with the ideas for the bugs.

ChainsawHands
11-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Do we know if the bug happens if you do move+1GFI as one action then the second GFI as a separate action? That's something I'd be fairly likely to do (take the longer throw if I need to burn a reroll on the first GFI, if not do the second GFI with reroll still available and get the shorter throw).

Screwie
11-07-2012, 03:44 PM
I don't know at this time... and yeah it puts me out too. I tend to stagger my moves because committing to a pass action when you already lost your TRR on a GFI or Dodge roll is silly.

I'll have a play with it in single player tomorrow to see if I can reproduce it.

Heliocentric
11-07-2012, 03:46 PM
That's a shitty bug because lets say you have dodges to do? You might not want to throw if you burn an RR dodging.

Zoraster
11-07-2012, 04:32 PM
It is more of an exploit than a bug (assuming it hasn't changed behaviour since the last patch) which is why not many people have noticed it despite it being in the game for ages. It really doesn't happen because bad coaches always make the whole move in one go while good coaches will take each additional roll by itself when the reroll may change their mind. You have to make both GFIs and Pass together in the same action with nothing else. Count the times you've done that in the past. It is an unnatural action as generally you would include the first GFI in the initial move unless you had a dodge on the way.

Heliocentric
11-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Oh, God right.

I don't think I'd even take 2 GFI's together.

cyberpunkdreams
11-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Take the longer throw if I need to burn a reroll on the first GFI, if not do the second GFI with reroll still available and get the shorter throw.

I did a bit of work on probabilities for that one. I think it's usually better to take the longer pass then go for one extra GFI (let alone two), unless you have sure feet, but I guess it depends on whether you've got player rerolls on the pass and catch.

potatoedoughnut
11-07-2012, 08:20 PM
I did a bit of work on probabilities for that one. I think it's usually better to take the longer pass then go for one extra GFI (let alone two), unless you have sure feet, but I guess it depends on whether you've got player rerolls on the pass and catch.

The highest success probabilities are (according to http://elyoukey2.phpnet.org/sac/)

With TRR & Pass: GFI
With no TRR & Pass: no GFI
With TRR & no Pass: GFI
With no TRR & no Pass: GFI

Basically the only time you shouldn't GFI is if you don't have a TRR and you have the pass skill, and even then the difference in probability is very small. Do keep in mind, however, that a failed GFI will put your player on the ground where a failed pass will not.

sketchseven
11-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Odin's Longboatsmen 3 - Black Bombers 0

Squaring off against a team that had higher TV than them, Odin's coach took an Apoc as his inducement and his players nervously stepped on to the field. As it was, he needn't have worried, as the Black Bombers were cursed by horrible luck from the word go.

Highlights include:
- the two Trolls failing any number of Really Stupid rolls and spending a fair amount of the game standing in place and drooling.
- the Goblins wheeling out the ball & chain, the chainsaw and the bombardier for absolutely no result. The ball & chain goblin in particular merely danced around my players, hit only one guy and failed to even stun him. The bombardier threw one bomb to absolutely no effect and was then pounded into the pitch - a fate shared by the chainsaw-wielding goblin. All three were ejected from the game in the first half.
- endless numbers of Goblins failing dodge rolls and getting stretchered off the pitch for their trouble; far more than my players managed to inflict on them.
- a Troll launching a goblin headfirst into one of my players, knocking my player over to no effect and resulting in the goblin ending up in the injury box.

With two trolls and two goblins left on the pitch, the Black Bombers were doing their best to put up some kind of defence, including a two-dice-defender-picks block that saw the ball carrier eat the turf - but really, this game was all about the dice.

(According to BB Manager, cyberpunkdreams had 98 1d6 rolls compared to my 24, and his luck was -7.14 compared to my 7.50).

Still ... a win's a win.

Heliocentric
11-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Basically the only time you shouldn't GFI is if you don't have a TRR and you have the pass skill, and even then the difference in probability is very small. Do keep in mind, however, that a failed GFI will put your player on the ground where a failed pass will not.
But, maybe you need to reduce your fumble range, for example a Tomb guardian (AG1) with a ball after blitzing the ball loose who is utterly surrounded (but able to dodge away with break tackle or not in a tacklezone) making an inaccurate throw at a cage. Missing the throw is okay as the ball will likely still be marked, but a fumble caused by a "1 after modifiers" will cause you to likely conceed a touchdown.

So, even if the throw is 6+, moving into medium range throw will reduce the fumble to only natural 1's.

In other words, at low agility a GFI can be a big deal with very little hazard.

Squiz
11-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Odin's Longboatsmen 3 - Black Bombers 0

Still ... a win's a win.Well, that's not really surprising, is it? Block all across the board, more St, more MA, Frenzy... With Goblins it's really hit and miss while Norse have a very solid basis to work with.

20phoenix
11-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Could an admin validate my game against Darkweeble? I've got six skillups pending and i've been eagerly sitting on my hands waiting to find out what i'm going to get....

cyberpunkdreams
11-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Well, that's not really surprising, is it? Block all across the board, more St, more MA, Frenzy... With Goblins it's really hit and miss while Norse have a very solid basis to work with.

You didn't see the game ;). Sketch's block served him well, for sure, but I could barely make a dodge without getting stretchered off the pitch! I don't think the ball left my half of the pitch. I wasn't really expecting a win (hoping, maybe), but 12 guys in the dugouts was a bit much...

20phoenix
11-07-2012, 10:59 PM
You didn't see the game ;). Sketch's block served him well, for sure, but I could barely make a dodge without getting stretchered off the pitch! I don't think the ball left my half of the pitch. I wasn't really expecting a win (hoping, maybe), but 12 guys in the dugouts was a bit much...

This is exactly what happened in my game against Darkweeble. I think he dodged into more cas than I gave him

chadsexington
12-07-2012, 12:09 AM

Two of my three games last season were like that, plus a whole weeks worth of pub games between seasons before I played this match.

It really is frustrating to see that it doesn't matter what you do, you're boned either way. On top of that, in the pub games, I often played people who really had no clue (ie, unnecessary dodges, pickups in TZ, GFI on just about everyone, 15 on a roster with a bashy team, etc, etc), beating me soundly while making double against blocks and singles, while I stick to the reliable rolls. It hurt more when they offered advice on how I should play.

cyberpunkdreams
12-07-2012, 12:27 AM
It hurt more when they offered advice on how I should play.

Harsh! ;)

To be fair on Sketch, he played well and deserved the win. It's just that I would liked to be able to put up more of a fight... I almost felt like apologising for offering such a weak game. Obviously in BB, the luck goes either way, and you have to accept both directions with good grace. It's just a bit frustrating on those rare occasions when you just can't do anything right. I think in my game, I made one demonstrably bad move (not protecting my chainsaw guy properly, meaning he went straight off the pitch), but after that, it was almost like I didn't even have the opportunity to play well badly. I started with a 15 man roster and ended with four guys on the pitch.

sketchseven
12-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Think I injured maybe three goblins, tops - apart from that, all his casualties were self-inflicted (well, as a result of failed dodge rolls, even with the Stunty buff). The ball was out of cyber's half for maybe two turns, three tops at the beginning of the second half.

I had some good luck (a Blitz result on the second kickoff that allowed me to have a player under the ball before it landed springs to mind) and cyberpunkdreams had an awful lot of bad luck (injuries, drooling Really Stupid big guys, utterly ineffective secret weapons).

I think I did a decent enough job of dodging away from his more troublesome players, and was lucky with my injuries given the low AV of the Norse. The Wandering Apoc just sat twiddling his thumbs and drinking his fee.

Zoraster
12-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Admins: can you roll Div K please? All remaining games are trans-Atlantic clashes so we could do with having every available weekend option :)

NTW: new SS weirdness spotted. Div I is showing Sketch playing twice in the opening round.

ntw
12-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Admins: can you roll Div K please? All remaining games are trans-Atlantic clashes so we could do with having every available weekend option :)

NTW: new SS weirdness spotted. Div I is showing Sketch playing twice in the opening round.

Well spotted, fixed!

Indefatigible Snoozer
12-07-2012, 11:15 AM
A brutal game was had between my Dwarves (nicknamed 'the horrid little men' by persons who shall remain unnamed) and Nullkigan's Dwelves. Sadly for the Dwelves, the brutalisation was all one way, with 4 injuries and one death inflicted, along with several KOs of key players.

The Dwelves elected to receive, and scored within 3 turns, with the Dwarves only managing to KO the AG 5 leaping Blitzer (who, helpfully, did not wake up until the second half).

The teams set up again, with the Dwarves receiving on Turn 4. And then the hurting began. The Dwarves formed a cage against the right sideline, anchored by my stand firm dwarf against witch-elf frenzying. The rest of the team put themselves in contact with the Dark Elf team, to force dodges and otherwise limit their manouverability. The cage rolled inexorably forward, but on turn 6 the dwelves managed to penetrate, marking the ball carrier and generally grinding its forward momentum to a halt. An unlucky misclick by Nullkigan on the End Turn button however left a gap through which my ball carrier broke through and scored.

A failed leap ended the Dwelves chance of scoring in the last two turns of the half. I inflicted some more damage, including a Turn 8 5-man gang foul on a well skilled Blitzer, resulting in a BH and no send-off.

Turn 9 the Dwarves set up to receive again, with the Dwelves down to 10 men. Brutalisation ensued. One lineman KO'd, one dead, one stunned, and a blitzer frenzied off into the crowd. The dwarves get a bit over eager and spread out too much, allowing the AG 5 leaper and a witch-elf to get in contact with the ball carrier. Some stupid planning by me makes the situation worse, and the runner is surfed into the crowd, however there are not enough dwelves left on the pitch to scoop up the ball, which lands mid-pitch. I pick it up with my other runner, and run in another one. 2-1.

Despite my overwhelming numbers advantage, the Dwelves had a real chance to equalise on the final turn, with only 5 or so 2+ rolls and a push on a 1D blitz required. The blitz succeeded, but a failed dodge ended the game with the Dwarves still ahead.

Thanks for the game Null.

desvergeh
12-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Division H - Bishi Bashi Speshal vs Codsbottom Brawlers

An extremely violent game saw the Brawlers go toe-to-toe with Bishi Bashi. Could the humans plucky spirit overcome the orcs thick armour.... no it couldn't....

An early push by Graever left one catcher dangerously exposed to the attentions of a Orc blitzer with tackle, and a couple of turns later the catcher landed in the injury box. Meanwhile Graever tried to exploit the slow movement of the orcs, but could not keep the ball carrier out of GFI range. A knockdown and a hand-off later saw the orcs taking the lead 1-0.

With BBS receiving in the 2nd half, they could take their time. A couple of humans were soon seeing stars, and it started to look like nothing could stop the green steam-roller. However Graever retaliated, and two orcs were also removed from play, levelling the field.

Deciding the ball was in danger, BBS moved it up the right side in a half-cage. Too many humies were unmarked and able to mount a strong interception on the cage. Gork was with the orcs this day though, and a couple of blocks saw Pot Noodle, the ball carrying gobbo, free to make the final run to put the score at 2-0 in favour of Bishi Bashi Speshal.

A good game from my perspective, at multiple points it could have tipped either way as decided by the dice. At least no lasting damage was caused to the Codsbottom Brawlers, with the apothecary sweeping in to transmute the death of one of their team members to a badly hurt.

Next week I fear I may be on the receiving end of the kicking, when I face Irrelevant Ilnesses!

Final score Bishi Bashi Speshal 2 - Codsbottom Brawlers 0.

Corkir
12-07-2012, 05:40 PM
3-0 to my dark elves over Proxy's undead in the battle of the newbies in Division I. Proxy made a last minute purchase, investing his last 30k gold in fan factor. Nuffle issued chastisement by granting my team the fame and letting it be decisive in an opening thrown rock taking a Ghoul out of the match before the opening turn.

That set the tone for the game with my elves doing no wrong. I even survived the path finding mistake that resulted in a player who was meant to be on the front left of my screen picking the ball up on his way. Needing SPP early on I scored quickly rather than run the clock down.

A pitch invasion tore out Proxy’s centre on the second drive. Coupled with his team failing the rerolled pick up I was able to pin down the Undead and take a 2-0 lead by half time. Second half was much the same as Proxy just couldn’t string rolls together while the elves didn’t fail an important dodge. The Ghoul ball carrier was forced deeper and deeper until finally the ball was turned over for the third and final score.

A very easy win with Nuffle firmly in my camp this round.

Prester John
12-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Div F, looks like we may have to ask for an extension til Sunday night for my game against somanyrobots?

Zoraster
12-07-2012, 07:56 PM
NTW; back to Div I we have Proxy's defeat showing up as a draw in the table. How many more of these can I spot before you decide I'm breaking them in the first place? :)

Gorm
12-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Just played Dentharials orcs in division G (?) with my skaven. Managed to make it out the other end with no cas, so thats all i could hope for really.

The orcs won 2-1.

ntw
12-07-2012, 10:50 PM
NTW; back to Div I we have Proxy's defeat showing up as a draw in the table. How many more of these can I spot before you decide I'm breaking them in the first place? :)

You're just trying to keep me on my toes - unless you are some kind of criminal mastermind making tiny tweaks to the sheet here and there as part of some masterplan!

/edit - fixed

mrpier
13-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Rattatatz (skaven, me) 1 - 2 Rejected RPG Stats (nurgle, laneford)

First, there's something you all need to know about lanefords nurgle team, they're utter bastards! (In opposition to their coach who is a gentleman and a scholar)

Going into this I knew this was going to be a hard match, there's enough tackle and mighty blow on lanefords side to really cripple my team, and the beast is a real handful with tentacles, block! and guard, but I had a plan. I got 270 000 gold coins to play with before we started, and opted for a bribe (useless), extra apoth (mandatory!) and a wizard (helpful). The plan was to score early in the first half, and then go for a two-nil attempt after using the wizard in a smart/lucky way, which I reckoned should at least secure me a draw.

Laneford won the toss and elected to kick which suited me fine. I made a hole down the right flank and one of my gutter runners down it to act as a receiver. He got blitzed the next round but managed to stay upright. After a blitz by my storm vermin he was free to run in the TD as soon as he got the ball. My thrower (+1AG, Accurate, Pass) was deep in my own half with the ball, so he had to do a long pass first to my receiver. Scatter pass, unfortunately to avoid disturbing presence influence, I had to position my players right next to the sideline, so the ball went out of bounds. Laneford promptly picked up the ball and got it into a cage. I decided to use my wizard which worked ok, and I got a two dice blitz on the ball and could run it in a turn later or so, not daring to stall. Laneford trundled the ball up more and more unopposed for the 1-1 score in turn 8. The toll after the first half wasn't so bad I think, Rat Ogre BH and I think a lineman or two as well as a couple of KO's.

I started the second half with eleven players on the pitch, but it didn't last long. Laneford soon got the upper hand in manpower, marking most of my players and got a good cage going. About turn three or so I realized my best bet was to stay away from his players and try to save my team (both apoths having been used already). It was easier said than done, while I had pretty ok dodge-dice the whole match, my team was surely whittled down, thankfully mostly BHs. I was so focused on saving a GR from the tentacle beast that I missed a huge mistake by laneford, a rotter missed a GFI and left a corner of the cage open, however I used the blitz to get my GR away from the beast, and didn't notice the open cage until I saw laneford swearing in the talk-box. I tried to mark up the ballcarrier with whatever ratz I could free, but they got pushed away. It was an annoying mistake, but I don't think a successful blitz would have made much difference to the result. Anyway the mistake did make the final turns a little more tense for laneford than they should have been, but in the end he walked in 2-1 in his turn 16.

So, it became the match I feared it would become, I think I got away lightly though. In the end I had 9 rats in the injury box (one KO), 6 with BH. One GR (+1AG, Wrestle, Strip Ball) got -MV (annoying, but not a careerender), and one lineman got a niggling injury. Overall I probably had good dice, had to do lots of one dice and even two against blocks and none of them led to turnovers.

Thanks to laneford for the match.

boots468
13-07-2012, 09:48 AM
My Lizards faced off against Chainsawhands' scary scary Pro Elves last night. The amount of stat ups he has is obscene (one elf was 10,4,5,7 if I remeber correctly) and I had some key players missing this game. Thus I got enough inducements for a mercenary Krox, Slibili and also Morg n Thorg. Lining up with 9 st4+ players should go some way to overcoming the masssive skills gap, I thought.

In short - not so much. Only one of them has tackle, and even laying a hand on the bloodgy elves was trickly. I elected to kick at the beginning, but before I even got a touch of the ball I was 2-0 down and hadn't caused a single casualty. Morg then showed what a beast he was, killing a lineelf and running half the length of the pitch with the ball, just shrugging off blitzes. A halftime scoreline of 2-1 was respectable, but both his KO'd catchers recovered at half time, I started rolling quite a few skulls and skinks started breaking. In turn 12 or so, Hands had a fairly safe cage with the ball near my line so I threw Morg in : skipping though the tacklezones like a true elf (I think he passed 4 5+ dodges) he then rolled double skulls on he actual blitx :-(.

The final scoreline was 4-1 to chainsawhands, and it almost was more. He deserved the win (although 5-1 would have been harsh) and although his team was better (raw strength is no match for raw agility and a tonne of skills), frankly he also used his team better.

Screwie
13-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Div D - Cute Harmless Hippies (Chaos, Jarvis) vs Dread Pool (Dark Elf, me)

The outlook of this match was changed utterly at the first kick - which brought rainfall that persisted through the rest of the game.

The Hippies received first, but due to a fumbles pass left the ball only lightly guarded in their own half. I did what I always do in those situations - massively overcommit - and sent a blodging blitzer throught he line to scoop up the ball and separate himself from the beasts, within 7 squares of the end zone. Jarvis responded with a blitz, luckily taking my blodger down with a Pow from a beastman with neither Block nor Tackle. He recovered the ball nicely and began a strong drive down the opposite flank.

I somehow managed to play the balls loose and thanks to a lucky bounce, it landed in the hands of another blitzer. He dashed back upfield but I took a silly risk moving him one GFI to get an assist on another block and free up a 2nd blitzer to cover him... and he fell over. My good luck ran out real fast! This was really, really dumb. Especially as this blitzer of mine, while not a blodger yet, does has Dump Off - so the ball was pretty secure for me anyway.

Jarvis reclaimed the ball and between my overcommital and mounting KOs and casualties including 2/3 of my Guard players and my useless witch elf (7 matches and still only 3 SPP... fantastic work darling), there was little I could do to stop Jarvis from scoring immediately.

Thankfully, being typically Chaosy, he chose to stall instead. This allowed me to bring every elf I could down on his head. With some tricky assists and a few white-knuckle dodge rolls, I blitzed the ball out of his hands and it landed next to the touchline, in the TZ of my AG 5 runner and three of his players, just a scant 4 squares from my end zone.

With only one turn remaining I could see Jarvis simply boxing my runner out of the way and scooping up the ball to complete the drive. So I dodged into 3 TZs and tried for the pickup. The ball scattered off the pitch and was thrown in further upfield, but at the feet of two of Jarvis' beastmen. He could still make it, but now he would have to complete a pass too. He called a blitz that accidentally went through the ball's square and worse, failed to pick it up, and the half ended with nothing on the board.

Half-time score: 0-0

Now it was my turn to receive and while the rain didn't let up, I did net a bonus reroll. I formed a loose cage which moved up the right side of the pitch, countering the Chaos assault by squeezing closer to the sideline. My sidestepping blodging Blitzer popped free and was within his MA of the end zone, but my runner was presented with the option to Quick Pass to him at the end of my turn, or risk doing so as a Dump Off. I decided the pass, while I could use a TRR, was better. Sadly a beastman standing in 2 TZs rolled a natural 6 to disagree and caught the ball as it flew overhead.

In a mirror of what happened to me in the first half happened here, as Jarvis immense good luck was cut short when his ball carrier immediately fumbled the ball after moving to the centrefield for a pass attempt. I leapt on it, blitzing him out the way. I grabbed the ball with one runner to pass to my other runner, who moved to within 3 squares of the end zone... again with only 1-2 opposing players capable of reaching him for a blitz. The blitz came and merely pushed my runner, so the charging beastman dodged to a better position to lock him down... and fell over. The dark elf runner scored with only 3 turns left on the clock.

The next kick came, and a riot brought the game one turn closer to my victory! I settled in for defense and kicked really deep (thank you, Kick skill). Jarvis cleared the LoS and sent three beastmen running through as catchers. Unfortunately his ball skills escaped him and the turnover allowed me to knock down and incapacitate two of the runners. When the ball did arrive to the fight, I was able to knock it out of his hands and park a blitzer next to the ball, alongside another Chaos player. To mount more pressure I brought in a runner to grab the ball and use Dump-Off to screw over Jarvis' last chance at an equaliser... except my runner failed to pick up the ball. Darn.

I realised then my choice had also left Jarvis' third runner unmarked. He would have to remove my blitzer, grab the ball in rain, pass/hand it to the runner and win 2 GFIs in order tto score, all with no TRRs remaining. And he did it!

Full-time score: 1-1

This was a really close match throughout. We both had our share of good and bad luck (and good and bad decisions). Jarvis pulled it out of the elfy bag at the last minute, but we both lost out on scoring opportunities that went badly wrong.

wink5000
13-07-2012, 10:21 AM
I guess it was so that my opponent Skydancer hasn't been able to play any day this week and the earliest option for him is on Sunday night. Is it possible to get an extension for the round in div F or how does it work?

groovychainsaw
13-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Just ask wink, and you shall be accomodated :-). I'll only move people on who haven't posted in here at the deadline. Deadline for week 1 is TODAY, chaps, just so's you know, so I'll probably be defaulting anyone who hasn't posted in here sometime tomorrow...

ChainsawHands
13-07-2012, 10:46 AM
My Lizards faced off against Chainsawhands' scary scary Pro Elves last night. The amount of stat ups he has is obscene (one elf was 10,4,5,7 if I remeber correctly) and I had some key players missing this game. Thus I got enough inducements for a mercenary Krox, Slibili and also Morg n Thorg. Lining up with 9 st4+ players should go some way to overcoming the masssive skills gap, I thought.

In short - not so much. Only one of them has tackle, and even laying a hand on the bloodgy elves was trickly. I elected to kick at the beginning, but before I even got a touch of the ball I was 2-0 down and hadn't caused a single casualty. Morg then showed what a beast he was, killing a lineelf and running half the length of the pitch with the ball, just shrugging off blitzes. A halftime scoreline of 2-1 was respectable, but both his KO'd catchers recovered at half time, I started rolling quite a few skulls and skinks started breaking. In turn 12 or so, Hands had a fairly safe cage with the ball near my line so I threw Morg in : skipping though the tacklezones like a true elf (I think he passed 4 5+ dodges) he then rolled double skulls on he actual blitx :-(.

The final scoreline was 4-1 to chainsawhands, and it almost was more. He deserved the win (although 5-1 would have been harsh) and although his team was better (raw strength is no match for raw agility and a tonne of skills), frankly he also used his team better.Yeah, if I'd passed that last GFI it'd have been 5-1. There were a couple of things you could have done differently (there were a few times where the only reason I didn't frenzy a krox/saurus into the crowd was because I could blitz your ballskink instead), and you did roll a fair few skulls, but any match where you're 850TV behind is going to be tough: like you say, it's a massive skill gap. (I blame groovy and all this "tiers" nonsense, we never needed none of that when I were a lad! :-P)

Oh, and thanks to you I no longer have two ST4 elf catchers. I've now got three.

Heliocentric
13-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Just ask wink, and you shall be accomodated :-). I'll only move people on who haven't posted in here at the deadline. Deadline for week 1 is TODAY, chaps, just so's you know, so I'll probably be defaulting anyone who hasn't posted in here sometime tomorrow...

Okay, my and DWZippy's game has been beleaguered by setbacks and I got married over the weekend, we'll try and squeeze in the game today of this weekend but we may require some extension. If we get cyanided again we'll likely just take the default.

Oh, and thanks to you I no longer have two ST4 elf catchers. I've now got three.

One of them is st5?

ChainsawHands
13-07-2012, 10:53 AM
One of them is st5?No, no: three of them are ST4, including the ST4 AG5 MV10 one. The other catcher's AG5 but only AV6...

I think the statmonster's only about 60SPP away from levelling again; I'm hoping for another +ST. ;-)

groovychainsaw
13-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Your elves are ridiculous, I'm hoping my complete lack of injuries against Hugh's elves was nuffle saving it up for playing your pro elves ;-).

ChainsawHands
13-07-2012, 11:01 AM
It's just the catchers that are ridiculous!

Well, there's that one AG5 blitzer too, but other than that they're all perfectly normal. That's only 8 stat-ups over 5 players, surely everyone has that?

JayTee
13-07-2012, 11:04 AM
1 stat up over 17 players says no :(

Everblue
13-07-2012, 11:04 AM
...and I got married over the weekend...

You thought you'd slip that one past, didn't you Helio? Congratulations, you old dog!

I'm trying to think of a filthy wedding night pun relating to gang fouls, but I can't. Can anyone assist?

ChainsawHands
13-07-2012, 11:07 AM
1 stat up over 17 players says no :(At least I don't have more than the maximum possible 16 players on my team! :-P

JayTee
13-07-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm including the 3 dead-dead (As opposed to just dead, like the entire team) who also failed to get stat ups in their careers.

Congratumulations on your nuptials too!

ChainsawHands
13-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Oh, if I included all my dead or sacked-due-to-injury players it'd be 8 stat-ups over like 30 players, I've sacrificed lots of non-stat-up elfs to Nuffle over the many many seasons it's taken to get to this point.

ChainsawHands
13-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Oh, and congratulations Helio!

Alistair Hutton
13-07-2012, 11:31 AM

My game with MadDave is a sweet 2-0 default in my favour as Dave chose to gallivant around Europe rather than smash my mans at Blood Bowl.

Screwie
13-07-2012, 11:39 AM
My game with MadDave is a sweet 2-0 default in my favour as Dave chose to gallivant around Europe rather than smash my mans at Blood Bowl.

Bah, I was hoping you'd at least injure something on his squad before I had to face them :(

sketchseven
13-07-2012, 11:45 AM
I got married over the weekend

Wait, what? Congratulations dear boy!

sketchseven
13-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm trying to think of a filthy wedding night pun relating to gang fouls, but I can't.

Don't know about puns but quite frankly if you're gang-fouling on your wedding night, you're doing it wrong.

ChainsawHands
13-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, an 8 man foul is more of a hen night thing.

Heliocentric
13-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah, an 8 man foul is more of a hen night thing.

http://img.wsgf.org/f/u/imagecache/node-gallery-display/contrib/dr/605/cutscene_16x10.jpg

ntw
13-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Gratz Helio :)

my match against Alini ended up a 2-2 draw. His tackle, guard and block skills scattered across (what felt like) his entire team had me worried from the start. It turned out my worrying was for nothing - I should've worried about the dice instead. In a match where the rain never stopped falling, neither did the rats. It seemed that everything I tried failed - apart from a fairly lucky first score in response to Alini's standard dwarf rolling cage opening score. At this point my Rat Ogre decided it was nap time and slept through the rest of the game.
My second score was ridiculous. My one remaining GutterRunner (as opposed to my 3 ManRunners) managed to 2D against blitz the ballcarrier from a slightly messy (but packed with dwarves) cage, then dodge through the cage to pickup the ball and run a short distance away with only a thrower for pathetic support. Alini was unable to knock my GR down but threw a load of beards around him, naturally he made the few dodges to score a cheeky TD. At this point, being 2-1 up with only a few turns remaining, I was suddenly feeling optimistic. Moreso when Alini's SH runner failed to pickup the ball and I got a ManRunner and GutterRunner far enough (2 GFI's - each) to put 2 TZs on the ball. Alini managed to free the Runner and grab the ball but was unable to get to safety. I had a choice of going for a 2D blitz (unskilled IIRC) or a 1D Blitz with Wrestle, I mistakenly believed I still had a TRR so I went for the 1D and failed. Alini managed to string together a fairly lucky string of rolls to dodge away, GFI, Pass and Catch to equalise the score at 2-2 in the dying seconds.
I'm slightly disappointed that I didn't go for the 2D, but it probably wouldn't have made any difference at the end of the day. My ridiculous luck in scoring my second TD was somewhat balanced by Alini's equalising score and the dicerolls throughout the rest of the match (IMHO!) - prime exampe being a pitch invasion which knocked over 3 of his players, while leaving only 4 of mine still standing...
Overall I'm pretty pleased with a 2-2 draw, just the 2 Necro teams to go now - doddle!

Heliocentric
13-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Okay, my and DWZippy's game has been beleaguered by setbacks and I got married over the weekend, we'll try and squeeze in the game today of this weekend but we may require some extension. If we get cyanided again we'll likely just take the default.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU- *White noise*

I need to speak to the DoD ethics community, we don't deserve a 1 - 1 default, we have genuinely made time and effort to play this game, we've had 2 crash outs. and weirdly, no cas over all 3 games (roughly 12 turns each). Is there anything that can be done?

DWZippy
13-07-2012, 01:19 PM
I was 1-0 this time with a guy 1 turn from the end zone. Rarrrgh.

Heliocentric
13-07-2012, 01:21 PM
I was 1-0 this time with a guy 1 turn from the end zone. Rarrrgh.I only need a 3+Reroll dodge to surf him.
:P

Yeah, but I guess we throw in the towel, 1 - 1 just doesn't match our effort and part matches.

ChainsawHands
13-07-2012, 01:22 PM
We could give you an extension to try playing again...

Is it one of you in particular who's crashing, or what?

Heliocentric
13-07-2012, 01:24 PM
We could give you an extension to try playing again...

Is it one of you in particular who's crashing, or what?
We had 1 freak disconnect first, but the second 2 crash to desktops have been DW, he's not seen anything like this before.

ChainsawHands
13-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Right then: DWZippy, where do you live? We shall enlist the nearest other DoD player and you can use their PC to play the match!

Heliocentric
13-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Right then: DWZippy, where do you live? We shall enlist the nearest other DoD player and you can use their PC to play the match!

http://www.thebatsite.co.uk/images/batman_robin_batmobile_01.jpg
DWZippy: Yes, Chainsawhands is giving me a lift now.

The Brain
13-07-2012, 01:39 PM

As the other Pro Elf player in the DoD I look at ChainsawHands' team as an inspiration for my own. Unfortunately I haven't had a single stat up yet despite rolling doubles for each catcher. That means they all have guard but still don't have block or dodge. Soon boys... soon.

P.S. Congrats Heliocentric!

Heliocentric
13-07-2012, 01:44 PM
BTW, thankyou for your congratulations, if I responded every time someone said it the spam would block out the sun :)

DeekyFun
13-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Not sure if Cacamas has mentioned this already, but could we get an extension to play our Group G match on Sunday afternoon please? That's the next time we're both available.

Sorry!

Alistair Hutton
13-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Bah, I was hoping you'd at least injure something on his squad before I had to face them :(

As the proud owner of two rookie catchers it's more likely that injuring would happen to me rather than him.

20phoenix
13-07-2012, 07:18 PM
As the other Pro Elf player in the DoD I look at ChainsawHands' team as an inspiration for my own. Unfortunately I haven't had a single stat up yet despite rolling doubles for each catcher. That means they all have guard but still don't have block or dodge. Soon boys... soon.

P.S. Congrats Heliocentric!

So i'm going to be facing a wall of guard soon? Need to get myself a DP.....

Janek
13-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Would it be possible to move on Div A nice and promptly, seeing as Saturday morning is probably the ideal time for playing JayTee?

Alini
13-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Congrats Helio ^_^

Thanks for the 99% accurat write up ntw! [his her] It certainly felt like at any moment scrabbling ratty claws would snatch the ball from me and leg it across the finish line.

Kajo
13-07-2012, 07:53 PM
So i'm going to be facing a wall of guard soon? Need to get myself a DP.....

Seeing how his last experiment went, i doubt that

wink5000
13-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Its fine that I'm in a div with teams way up tv levels compared to mine but its not fine that they get to play with 12 players on the pitch as happend with Skydancer earlier tonight. :)

El Cubo
13-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Its fine that I'm in a div with teams way up tv levels compared to mine but its not fine that they get to play with 12 players on the pitch as happend with Skydancer earlier tonight. :)

You know how they got to be at that high tv level? By cheating like that, that's how.

I don't think Cyanide should ever fix that bug. Instead they should add some kind of die roll to see if the referee can count and then give the faulting team some sort of penalty.

Heliocentric
13-07-2012, 10:31 PM
If you ever get 12? just march 1 of your choice to the corner and leave him there, anything else is shitty.

In theory Ogre teams (or rather any team with titchy players) would normally be allowed to field half a D6 (rounded down) players extra (which must be titchy). Also snots only count for half a player in the player cap. So, a team of 32 snots would be perfectly valid, but no more than 14 on the pitch at any time.

cyberpunkdreams
13-07-2012, 11:02 PM
In theory Ogre teams (or rather any team with titchy players) would normally be allowed to field half a D6 (rounded down) players extra (which must be titchy). Also snots only count for half a player in the player cap. So, a team of 32 snots would be perfectly valid, but no more than 14 on the pitch at any time.

Don't tell Snoozer that. His challenge league ogres are monsters just as they are...

Patser
14-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Hello, I'd like to join next season with a Human team, signed up in the spreadsheet as well.

Greetz

Kajo
14-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Hello, I'd like to join next season with a Human team, signed up in the spreadsheet as well.

Greetz

Hi!

We started the new season a week ago, so next one will be in August

p.s.: perhaps with the steam sale we can make a small newcomers league?

Squiz
14-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Well, the whole spreadsheeting (hehe I said sheeting) and administrative work is... well a lot of work. If anyone wants to get into the game I would rather recommend playing in our pretty active Challenge League until the end of the current season. Nothing wrong with finding out which playstyle fits best and which team feels right for you.

Screwie
14-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Just an fyi, Blood Bowl Legendary Edition is 75% off on Steam for the next 6 hours.

sketchseven
14-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Have the Divs been moved on to week two? I don't seem to have my victory over cyberpunkdreams listed in BBLE.

20phoenix
14-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Dont think its done yet - normally gets done the evening after the deadline

MrJoose
14-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Can L be moved forward soonish? Its going to be a bugger to organise my next match if we dont get it done later today or tomorrow.

Kapouille
14-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Any gentleadmin around, by any chance? We'd be able to play our match with x_kot in div K, and since we're transatlantic, I don't know if we'll get that many more chances to do it.

Thank you admins, if you could roll us over.

X_kot
15-07-2012, 02:49 AM
The Tuftybushe Fruitcakes (Hal, Kapouille) 1 - 1 The Knuckle Heads (Ogr, X_kot)

It was a slow affair punctuated by sudden flashes of movement. The first half saw the teams trade blows, each sending a stunty member off the pitch with an injury. The Fruitcakes capitalized on an empty backfield with a successful TTM TD in the first quarter of play. The Knucklers attempted to equalize, but they were stopped by a combination of abnormally mobile treemen, spry halfling dodging, and a turn that saw the entire ogre squad lose all sense of space and time (four failed boneheads and a triple-skull block). Things looked bleak indeed after Dagg Facebeater injured himself after colliding with the spectators seated in Section 2D. Could the ogres find the key to pulling even?

Yes, and the key was a thorough application of fist to belly. Three halfings went down to KOs and stuns in the first two turns of the second half. Snotlings ran the ball up the right flank, and after a failed sacking attempt, they reversed to the left flank with a successful hand-off. Things looked grim for the Fruitcakes as more players left the field unconscious. A valiant lone halfling tried to fight off the swarm of khaki coming at it but to no avail.

It was long game, but Kapouille was a great opponent. We fought through some Cyanidey goodness, which did not affect the amazing master chef rolls at all. Thanks for rolling the calendar for us so quickly, GC!

Jiiiiim
15-07-2012, 09:54 AM
groovy says all divisions without extensions have been moved on.

LowKey
15-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Heads up I will be entering a new High Elf team into the DoD, I think I have done all the spreadsheet stuff correctly, there seems to be too many skaven teams unless someone is dropping out by the way, also I need inspiration for the new team name/players

Jiiiiim
15-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Someone seems to have disappeared from division B >_>

JayTee
15-07-2012, 01:15 PM
The Beasts of Bembridge (Nurgle - Janek) vs. The Dead Comic Society (Khemri - me)

0 - 1

ARRRRGGGG! SNOW PITCH! DIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

Ahem. The Comics give away 120k in inducements which the Beasts spend on 2 Babes. In what seems like the first time in months, the Comics win the toss and elect to receive. A Quick snap on the kickoff allows them to shuffle a few players around and attempt a highly optimistic catch with a Thro-Ra, who naturally fluffs it and the ball lands at his feet. The Comics form a cage and begin their push, though idiocy leaves a TG badly exposed on the left flank and the Beasts capitalise on this crowdsurfing the hapless TG off though with no injury. Compounding the idiocy, the Comics mis-mark a player allowing a Nurgle Warrior to avoid a next-turn crowd-surf and start the first of many stuns.

The next few turns see the cage slowly shuffle forwards, a Nurgle Warrior is brought down with a blitz to a regen-ed Badly Hurt to even the numbers up. The Comics split open the cage and shamble into the opponent's half (In hindsight I misplaced a key Blitz-Ra here giving the Beasts a free hit) and promptly KO a Nurgle Warrior. The Beasts respond with a Blitz on the carrier and the ball flies off-field and is eventually placed in their half. The Comics scramble to respond to this and a Thro-Ra successfully dodges through, but fails the GFI and the Turnover leaves the Beasts in clear control of the ball. Another round of blocking KOs a rotter but a BD puts an early end to the turn, and the Beasts seem almost clear but another BD from a 'gor causes an early Turnover.

The Comics only have one shot to stop the score and a Skeleton is tasked with Dodging free, succeeding 2 GFIs and managing a successful 1D Blitz. He somehow manages all this and stumbles the carrier, popping the ball free. The Beasts respond by knocking over the plucky Skeleton and recover the ball, but a failed dodge gives the Comics room to manoeuvre and a successful Blitz on the carrier sees the ball knocked off pitch and after 3 attempts at a throw-in, lands close to the halfway line but completely out of reach of the endzone for either team and the first half ends with nothing on the board.

The second half starts much like the first, with a Quick Snap this time giving the Beasts some space to manoeuvre but with a failkick managing to land on the Comics' half the Beasts get a valuable touchback. The Beasts recover their two KOed players and the regen-ed Warrior, and the Comics get the idiot TG who got himself crowdsurfed so both teams are at full strength. At this point a quick count of heads reveals the Beasts have left a 'gor on the bench, a rogue Rotter has made his way onto the field. D'oh.

Nevertheless, the Beasts cage up and start with a brutal round of blocking putting 3 Khemri down stunned, and the Comics respond with a defensive placement choosing to avoid contact for the moment. The Beasts move their cage forward, handing out another stun to a TG thanks to their namesake Beast and knock over a few more Khemri. Responding in kind the Comics Blitz down a Warrior a a regened MNG and get a TG in contact with the carrier, and the Beasts attempt a hand-off to a Two Heads 'gor but he fluffs it despite a re-roll and the ball ends up open.

The Beasts are first to capitalise on this recovering the ball with a 'gor, but he's swiftly brought down by a lucky 1D Blitz but another BD ends the Comic's response early but helpfully KOs a Warrior. Eventually after a lot of shoving a Rotter goes down KOed, but the ball is knocked off-field and the throw-in puts it in spitting distance of the Comic's endzone giving the Beasts an opportunity. The Comics Dodge a Thro-Ra free, collect the ball and optimistically toss it upfield to a Tomb Guardian who unsurprisingly fails the catch (Rolled a 6 for the pass, but a 1 for the catch. Damnit!) but the ball is clear of the endzone and well marked by Khemri.

Well marked doesn't mean much when a Blitzing 'gor KOs a Tomb Guardian, but a failed 3+ Dodge gives the Comics an opening. The response is short and to the point, stunning a 'gor and after a battle that has lasted virtually the entire match a TG finds a weakspot and kills the Beast who fails his regen roll. Ouch. Out of re-rolls now the Beasts roll up a skull on their 1D Blitz and the Comics run, as much as Khemri can run, the ball down their left flank to an almost untouchable position. A failed Dodge from a Rotter ends the match as the Comics run the ball in.

Really fun match. Janek tied up me really well in the first half and some silly mistakes on positioning gave him enough openings, combined with damned Horns, to get the carrier down. I was very lucky to Blitz down his carrier in the first half, that Skeleton despite being one of my LoS Wrestle/Fend chaps Dodged, GFIed, and brought the carrier down and stopped that TD. Second half was luck on both sides, Janek seemed to consistently hand out Stuns but I slowly won the bashing match thanks to some useful Cas on the Warriors which gave me the ST upperhand I needed. Bit messy with the ball changing hands almost 4 turns in a row, but some good luck on my part gave me some useful KOs and stuns and Janek failing a 1D Blitz to a skull handed me the TD.

I feel kinda bad about killing a level 3 Beast :(

SPP-wise I managed to get my first level 5 player, my Block/Dodge/Fend Thro-Ra and MVP landed on a Skeleton who was benched the entire match so will likely form my Kicker unless he rolls something interesting.

Final match of the season is against another Khemri side, so that will be very interesting. I think I'll be giving a lot away in inducements however as I'll be at 1880 TV once the two players level up. Ugh.

President Weasel
15-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Division Champs

Red Skull Reavers (Pres Weasel, Chaos) 1 - 2 Monopole Magnates (Jiim, damnable Lizardmen)

This was always going to be a tricky match for the Reavers, who are still a work in progress and would be going up against the fully-, and some would say over-, developed Lizard team that's been dominating the league for the last couple of seasons.
It also didn't help that the exact player I needed in order to stop the skinks, a +1 move wrestle strip baller, was malingering in the infirmary after getting punched a little too hard last game.
The TV difference was exactly 10 too small to allow me to hire Morg n Thorg, so I hired Gashnak Blackhoof, Minotaur Star Player, and a spare apoc.
Grashnak can't block. This fact became important, as he rolled an extraordinary number of both down results in the match, eating through my rerolls and not achieving very much.

There was a point in the first half with Jiim one up, where I had the ball and needed just to blitz a skink away and then run to the line. Reader, I forgot to blitz. I shoved the skink, and then was left stupidly looking at a beastman whose turn was over, thinking "why don't I have any moves? Oh god, I am an idiot"
Since the skink had sidestep and I hadn't taken him down I would have still been rolling a dodge with a +1 agi and dodge player against a skink with diving tackle. Decent odds though - much better than next turn, when he ran up a skink that had both diving tackle and a saurus with 'just tackle' tackle - leaving me looking at the same horrible dodge roll but without a reroll this time.
I was forced to try it anyway, and it failed, and with depressing inevitability Jiim got the ball and skinked it away down the pitch and went 2-0 up, and the game was basically over.

My notes from the second half just read "snowy chaos. Consolation touchdown at the end".

I put 5 or 6 of Jiim's mans in hospital, but didn't end the career of a single one - I really feel he should have been punished more for putting skinks next to mighty blow beastmen on purpose.

The respectable scoreline was a moral victory for the underdog Reavers - but an actual victory for Jiiiim.

El Cubo
15-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Heads up I will be entering a new High Elf team into the DoD, I think I have done all the spreadsheet stuff correctly, there seems to be too many skaven teams unless someone is dropping out by the way, also I need inspiration for the new team name/players

I don't think you should edit out your team's current division until after the season.

20phoenix
15-07-2012, 05:30 PM
This is one sexy sight 1572

I also managed an astonishing 4/6 doubles!!

The Brain
15-07-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't like the look of that at all. Looks like I'm facing a bunch of super rats for my last game.

somanyrobots
15-07-2012, 09:06 PM
My Lycanthropes won the toss and elected to receive. They began a slow, cautious advance, focused more on elf-murder than necessarily getting progress. And the strategy immediately paid off, with one elf self-KO'ing on a failed dodge and another getting BH by a flesh golem. The cage stalled pretty badly near the half-line, though, in part due to my ignoring Prester John's seriously impressive amount of Wrestle. But the necros' advance was inexorable (and helped by another elven dodge-KO). Beauty and the Beast did knock down the ball carrier once, but after a series of bounces his fellow ghoul got the ball. The elves did get a good last-ditch attempt, with a Wardancer Leap-Strip-Balling it free on turn 8, but the necros recovered the ball and ran it in on turn 8. 1-0.

The second half started out much more promisingly for Prester John. My necros rolled a Blitz! on the kickoff; but I'd taken too long picking my kick location, so the ball was pretty far back. A werewolf got underneath the ball, but wasn't able to catch it. The elves successfully received, then, and got my necros spread out all over the pitch. Prester John made his play; hand-off to a thrower, who ran downfield and threw it to a catcher. And wonder of wonders, guess who makes the interception but David Bowie? My senior Flesh Golem. At that point, I regrouped my team (which involved another once-in-a-million Flesh Golem Dodge), caged up, and pushed downfield. On turn 13 David Bowie ran in the touchdown. 2-0. The elves pulled essentially the same play again after the kickoff, but without the interception; they made an effortless two-turner. 2-1. And in my final two turns, I pulled a lovely hand-off-to-a-werewolf, for a turn 16 TD. 3-1.

Lucky Lycanthropes 3 - 1 Beauty and the Beast

A delightful game! Prester John was an excellent opponent, hampered by dice that tended to favor me. Reviewing the numbers in BBM shows that the advantage wasn't all that overwhelming, but stood out on a few key rolls (particularly that FG interception, but also two Elven dodge-KOs and one dodge-BH). A morning well-spent. (And as an added bonus, both my FGs leveled up. Muahaha.)

Cacamas
15-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Dandy-Lions 3 - 3 The Top Brass

* An entertaining match that could've gone either way a number of times.
* There was a surfeit of elfy play with a caught blitz, outrageous dodging and plenty of passing.
* Except for that one time where my experienced thrower decided to massively fumble when it would've been easier to hit the target, leading to a quick-fire TD for the opposition.
* There were 5 (!) thrown rocks, including one that must have been a boulder since it hit two touching players at once.

Squiz
16-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Woodelf murderAny lasting injuries on the bloody Elves?

Screwie
16-07-2012, 10:51 AM
* There were 5 (!) thrown rocks, including one that must have been a boulder since it hit two touching players at once.

Yikes! That sounds like a nightmare of a game.

JayTee
16-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Booo, nothing exciting (+MV/+AV on a Skeleton. Bleh) on my 2 level ups.

Kick for the Skeleton. I pondered building up another Dirty Player, but since I didn't roll a Double which would have been an automatic Sneaky Git for me, I figured having Kick and thus slightly more control over the ball on Defence is better.

Block/Dodge/Fend on my Thro-Ra which makes him a decent carrier (If he can pick the damned ball up) so a standard roll didn't really leave a whole lot of options. None of the Passing skills are useful on an AG2 player except perhaps HMP but that could come later maybe. Pity Nerves of Steel doesn't help you pick up the ball in TZs, which is one crippling weakness of Khemri teams. Bad enough picking up an unmarked ball with AG2, let alone if you've got a TZ or two on it.

Pro was out because with Sure Hands he's already got a re-roll for the thing he's most likely to be doing, Leader was an option but since my team only has a single Tackle on a Blitz-Ra I figured more players to cancel Dodges would be a good thing.

All told this puts my TV at 1890 which assuming Dogpants doesn't take any injuries or levels, gives him an obnoxious 400k in inducements. Ugh.

Everblue
16-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Kick off return? Gives you the chance to be under the ball when it lands and hence more chance to grab the bugger.

JayTee
16-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Already on Thro-Ra #2 and there's generally little point on having it on both especially if I keep my KOR Thro-Ra off-field on Defence and/or away from MB/PO players.

Heliocentric
16-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Sneaky git is pointless. Aim for a 3+ armor break(4 assists are not too hard to find) . And you are looking at 97% the same as sneaky git.

JayTee
16-07-2012, 01:15 PM
I seem to remember arguing for Sneaky Git a while ago, and a quick forum search says yes I did. As I said last time, Sneaky Git stops a fail (Not breaking armour) turning into a Critical Fail (Not breaking armour, sending off, Turnover). I stand by this, I think I've fouled with my existing DP/SG Skeleton at least once every match since he picked up SG and I've very rarely regretted the decision to foul.

Sure it's less useful against low AV opponents or where you're already winning the numbers game, but the same could be said for a lot of skills such as Claw.

Besides, what else are my bench-Skeletons going to do? I like the idea of being able to churn out dedicated foulers, it tends to scare people off from Pile-On, risky Dodges, and the like knowing that their star Elf is going to get stamped on by a trash Skeleton if he ends up on the floor.

20phoenix
16-07-2012, 01:31 PM
I seem to remember arguing for Sneaky Git a while ago, and a quick forum search says yes I did. As I said last time, Sneaky Git stops a fail (Not breaking armour) turning into a Critical Fail (Not breaking armour, sending off, Turnover). I stand by this, I think I've fouled with my existing DP/SG Skeleton at least once every match since he picked up SG and I've very rarely regretted the decision to foul.

Sure it's less useful against low AV opponents or where you're already winning the numbers game, but the same could be said for a lot of skills such as Claw.

Besides, what else are my bench-Skeletons going to do? I like the idea of being able to churn out dedicated foulers, it tends to scare people off from Pile-On, risky Dodges, and the like knowing that their star Elf is going to get stamped on by a trash Skeleton if he ends up on the floor.

The other good thing about sneaky git is the ability to throw in some throwaway fouls. Its generally not possible to set up a gang foul every turn so its nice to be able to throw in a sneaky git foul at the end of a turn on the off chance it actually succeeds. Little or no risk involved and ensures the downed player is marked up.

President Weasel
16-07-2012, 01:54 PM
The other good thing about sneaky git is the ability to throw in some throwaway fouls. Its generally not possible to set up a gang foul every turn so its nice to be able to throw in a sneaky git foul at the end of a turn on the off chance it actually succeeds. Little or no risk involved and ensures the downed player is marked up.

Yeah, I was about to post the same thing when I came to the end of the thread and saw you already had.

A cheap sneaky git and no other skills player can basically just stamp on someone at the end of every turn. They'll almost certainly be stamping on more expensive players than themselves, meaning a successful foul and sending off is a net win for your team. The nightmare scenario is breaking armour, getting whistled, and seeing the player recover from a stun, or get KO'd and wake up next drive, but that's balanced by the chance of a good solid murderous foul that isn't whistled at all.

Knowing you've got a guy fouling all the time with near impunity also changes the calculations for your opponent somewhat. Do you want to send your gutter runners up all alone near their wrestle player, knowing he's got a friend who will stamp on their heads for shits and giggles as soon as they're down? How about that piling on you're thinking of doing? Sure you want to leave your killer player lying around like that?

Everblue
16-07-2012, 02:26 PM
What I like about SG is that it almost favours the casual unassisted foul. The more assists you add the less value you get out of the skill.

If you need to roll a 9 to break armour then you have a 27.8% chance of an armour break, a 5.6% chance of a sending off (down from 16.7% without SG), and a 3.2% chance of a sending off while leaving the opposing player stunned (down from 9.7%).

Zoraster
16-07-2012, 03:03 PM
The nightmare scenario is breaking armour, getting whistled, and seeing the player recover from a stun, or get KO'd and wake up next drive, but that's balanced by the chance of a good solid murderous foul that isn't whistled at all.

You can foul ineffectually with impunity. Those murderous fouls you want render Sneaky Git completely irrelevant. That is the crux; it is a skill you want neutralised or why are you making the foul in the first place? And of course once you achieve anything you are back to the standard position of being far more likely to remove your own player from the match than the opponent... Piling On players want to be fouled, especially those with Jump Up. In CRP the odds are heavily stacked in favour of being stomped.

For teams with 40k linemen who lack agility access Sneaky Git is a poor choice. For 10k more you get the two rookies who actually do that job better. They are just as (in)effective at fouling and just as likely to get sent off on a foul that achieves anything. Difference is the two rookies can keep going next drive.

Stupid foul nerf.

Kapouille
16-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Stupid foul nerf.

But one doesn't foul because of reason, but rather for the style and the irrational fear that it brings to your opponent! (your crappy 40K lineman all of a sudden will become target #1 while your actually good guys can breathe a sigh of relief)

Everblue
16-07-2012, 03:35 PM
In our earlier debate (I think it was) Alistair Hutton that made the point that he doesn't foul because it leads to him losing position on his players. And that's exactly the point - without sneaky git the only good foul is a gang foul, because for a solo foul the chance of losing a player is greater than or equal to the chance of removing a player due to a KO or better.

Sneaky git reverses this - you don't need to gang foul in order to foul effectively, and so you don't need to sacrifice position to do so. It essentially opens up fouling as an option every turn.

I would actually say that, given that 40k linemen are often slow (eg zombies, flings) then gang fouling is likely to be more of an issue as it makes it harder to get back into position. So SG is better.

JayTee
16-07-2012, 04:08 PM
You can foul ineffectually with impunity. Those murderous fouls you want render Sneaky Git completely irrelevant. That is the crux; it is a skill you want neutralised or why are you making the foul in the first place? And of course once you achieve anything you are back to the standard position of being far more likely to remove your own player from the match than the opponent... Piling On players want to be fouled, especially those with Jump Up. In CRP the odds are heavily stacked in favour of being stomped.

For teams with 40k linemen who lack agility access Sneaky Git is a poor choice. For 10k more you get the two rookies who actually do that job better. They are just as (in)effective at fouling and just as likely to get sent off on a foul that achieves anything. Difference is the two rookies can keep going next drive And successfully passing the ball makes Pass completely irrelevant, and not rolling a 1 makes Safe Throw completely irrelevant, and succeeding a Dodge makes Dodge irrelevant, and so forth. There are plenty of skills in Blood Bowl that are there to mitigate bad effects (Safe Throw is fairly similar to Sneaky Git in that it stops a Turnover on a fail), Sneaky Git just happens to be the one that is standout obvious that if you're doing fouling "correctly" then you never need it.

Thing is though I generally don't want to foul "correctly". The goal of a Khemri team is to hit the opponent until he's not got enough players standing or on the field to stop the slow cage from shambling forward. There are nuances to the tactics, but pretty much 'hit them till they stop moving' is about it. Part of this is winning the player numbers battle, and having Sneaky Git means I can chuck what is effectively a 'spare' Skeleton into the mix and foul repeatedly anything that looks tasty on the floor without worrying too much if he gets sent off. Also, it's a >50% chance with DP to get the opponent off the field. I'll take that when it's getting a Wrestle/Strip Ball/Leap/Sidestep Wardancer off in exchange for what is effectively an MV5 TZ with arms.

While having 2 level 1 Skeletons may be 'optimal' as that's two bodies and not one, I can count the number of times I've had less than 11 players on the field at the beginning of a drive on one hand. I also really don't need another bloody bench-Skeleton sucking up MVPs, where all 4 of my recent MVPs have landed on those damned things rather than where I need it which is that useless Blitz-Ra who's 0SPPs from 8 games. Adding more MVP-suckers to the lineup would just result in much anger.

EDIT: Forgot to add. Sneaky Git makes fouling fun because it mostly gets rid of the downside of fouling. Anything that adds fun to the game is a good thing. I wouldn't be playing Khemri if I was purely here to min/max :p

chadsexington
16-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I fired the DP Skelton off of my pub khemri team. Without fail, he would get sent off after his first foul. Having him there only encouraged me to foul players, which usually resulted in a stun for them and -1 player for me. I've played games where I've been fouled 13-14 times, yet they only have a player or two sent off. I want to know the secret of the RNG gods

Dentharial
16-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Returning by popular demand
*demand may be fictional

Da Blu Moonz (Orcs, Dentharial) VS Cheese it!!!! (Skaven, Gorm)

The skaven team chose to receive
The greenskins held to the belief
That a punch to the head
Would make them all dead
And they’d have no chance to deceive

But the ratmen were just way too fast
And before even three turns had passed
The skaven had scored!
The greenskins were bored,
And decided they couldn’t be arsed

The orcs barely bothered to fight
And though skaven armour is light,
The worst that they got
Were KOs (quite a lot),
One dead rat was healed alright.

The orckin continued to be kind,
But the ratmen were still in a bind
Despite cages galore
The ball fell to the floor
But the match ended a 2-1 grind!

Final Score: Da Blu Moonz 2 - 1 Cheese it!!!!!

There's a few plays that I couldn't fit neatly into rhyme. The end of the first half was tense, as Gorm had done a good job of slowing the cage down to the point that I'd only be able to run it in (without taking a ludicrous number of GFIs or leaving my carrier in the open) on the final turn. And he then managed to knock the ball carrier down, pick up the ball, and attempt a pass downfield that fortunately failed (admittedly due to being in 2 or 3 tackle zones).
I was then able to beat him down for his audacity by crowd surfing the Gutter Runner who had attempted the pass, and was rewarded with a death! Who was then promptly healed by the apothecary.

This was my one and only injury in the entire damn match, although the KOs kept mounting up to the point I definitely had a numbers advantage. The second half was a really long, slow grind up the pitch, damply shoving rats to one side and hemming them against the sidelines with tackle zones, without actually doing any damage at any point.

Still a win is a win! And the boyz tell me that actually it was a carefully considered tactical decision to leave Gorm's team intact to make sure the elves don't rack up any points against him.

Heliocentric
16-07-2012, 06:09 PM
But one doesn't foul because of reason, but rather for the style and the irrational fear that it brings to your opponent! (your crappy 40K lineman all of a sudden will become target #1 while your actually good guys can breathe a sigh of relief)

exactly, sneaky git makes him a crappy 70TV lineman who gobbled up a double, SG+DP makes him a crappy 90TV player... You'd be better off with 2 crappy 40TV players surely?

Gorm
16-07-2012, 07:02 PM
I havent really played many bashy teams with my skaven, so i wasnt sure how to deal with it. My skavens armour held together pretty well and i managed to atleast contest the ball/hinder the cage most turns so i was happy with a 2-1. Next time i'll grab a draw.

Kapouille
17-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Returning by popular demand
*demand may be fictional

Superb! Would you write a poem if I sent you my last replay file? :)

Everblue
17-07-2012, 09:04 AM
On the (slightly off topic) subject of poetry, this http://tim-pratt.livejournal.com/106839.html was used as a reading at a wedding that I attended at the weekend.

To give you an idea of the content, the wedding ceremony was dedicated to the Higgs Boson. I liked it. YMMV.

Heliocentric
17-07-2012, 11:14 AM
On the (slightly off topic) subject of poetry, this http://tim-pratt.livejournal.com/106839.html was used as a reading at a wedding that I attended at the weekend.

To give you an idea of the content, the wedding ceremony was dedicated to the Higgs Boson. I liked it. YMMV.
That's really nice... and for nerds only!

Dentharial
17-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Superb! Would you write a poem if I sent you my last replay file? :)

That is incredibly flattering, but I just don't have the time right now. I almost considered dropping out of this season, but I ultimately decided that it is worth making time for since I do enjoy it a lot.

The biggest barrier right now is that I'm the designated writer/recapper for my tabletop roleplay group, and I'm 5 sessions behind on that already, so any creative writing time needs to get spent on that. Once I finally clear that backlog and catch up, then I'd be glad to contact you if that's still something you want.

Skydancer
17-07-2012, 02:54 PM
I still want your words on our last game!

potatoedoughnut
17-07-2012, 06:16 PM

Awesome.

++

Everblue
17-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Hi

The spreadsheet for Division J shows me playing DWStalker next, whereas the BBLE in-game calendar shows me up against Helio. Could the former be changed? Ta

President Weasel
17-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Hi

The spreadsheet for Division J shows me playing DWStalker next, whereas the BBLE in-game calendar shows me up against Helio. Could the former be changed? Ta

Do your weeks out of order - make sure the other three people in your Division are aware of the situation and can plan for it.

Everblue
17-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Helio and I played. He won 2-0. The game started with my only block player (chaos warrior) being badly hurt by a thrown rock on the kick off. I had 6 players on the pitch after 2 of Helio's turns, not including my minotaur who KOd himself on a double both down on his second block.

I had 5 failed KO recoveries and 0 successess after the first half.

The MVP went to my niggled beastman who I was about to cut. It levelled.

It has not been a good evening. I'm going for a bit of a cry now.

Heliocentric
17-07-2012, 11:53 PM
My match vs Everblue is done, admin SPP polishing is requested..

EverBlue's Doomdark's Revenge - Heliocentric's Int'he Night Guardians
This match was a true display that my efforts to praise the word of nuffle have been rewarded. EverBlues dice could do no right, mine no wrong. The game started with his key player (a chaos warrior with block... the only piece of block on his team) getting a rock to the head in the opening drive and being injured(BH), I then surrounded his players with increasing sucsess, leaving 6 on the pitch in the first drive.
Neckbrekah and my 2 Wights really worked hard to keep the numbers down. Walking in a wolfy touchdown on turn 8 (I held off because so many were KO'd on his team and only a BH on my flesh golem) as I was the kicker my touchdown ended the half and at the start of turn 9 not even a single chaos player (out of 5 KO) woke up.

It was 11(+1 spare) on 6, he clumped up in the middle and I pressed hard against the LOS and wrapped up his team like duct tape while the wolves ran in a quick handoff and a TD, this proved to be a mistake of sorts as the third drive was the most dangerous for me, all but 1 KO'd chaosmen woke up, Some scuffling happened, a few more KO's and a foul ejection on one of my zombies, the chaos collected the ball and ran it down one side, but then the zombies caught up with them and the last few turns were mired with ineffective blocks and a mino who refused to guy up failing 2 blitz wild animal checks.

The game ended as cruelly as it started with a beastman tripping on a gfi (to foul my wolves?) and stunning himself.

EverBlue's Doomdark's Revenge 0 - 2 Heliocentric's Int'he Night Guardians

A zombie who was given the "default" touchdown last match won MVP leveling him up, and the wolf who ran in both TD's Leveled up, I'll probably get kick and Block respectively unless something else turns up on the dice.

Everblue
18-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Yes, I was going to try a T16 foul on your wolf. I failed a GFI. That is all.

potatoedoughnut
18-07-2012, 12:13 AM
@Ever: That is your punishment for getting a mino :p

@Helio: Note that with full positionals you can't use a kick zombie unless you put a positional player on the LoS. I'd only recommend getting kick if you're really into it.

Personally I think kick is most useful on elf teams that score a lot and a bit of a waste on slower grindy teams. Necros are somewhere in the middle so it's kind of up to personal preference. I think it's better to have 3 zombies on the LoS and leave all the positionals free/protected but YMMV.

Heliocentric
18-07-2012, 12:57 AM
@Helio: Note that with full positionals you can't use a kick zombie unless you put a positional player on the LoS. I'd only recommend getting kick if you're really into it.

I'm on a ghoul ban.

I find kicking ultra short can really screw with some receiving builds who stick the sure hands in the back, and vs fellow corpses the skill is pivotal.

Zombie rolled a reg, I guess its gotta be kick for me, WW rolled double... can I resist mighty blow?

ntw
18-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Hi

Dammit - we always miss one :(

/edit - Thx PW for the prompt advice to Everblue

Everblue
18-07-2012, 09:11 AM
@Weasel/ntw - Thank you both. As you can see I managed to play the game (happy happy joy joy).

I also spoke with Darkwingstalker last night to tell him to contact Xenny.

Cyberpunkdreams - can you please pass the message to Xenny that she needs to get in touch with Darkwingstalker instead of Helio?

JayTee
18-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Personally I think kick is most useful on elf teams that score a lot and a bit of a waste on slower grindy teams. Necros are somewhere in the middle so it's kind of up to personal preference. I think it's better to have 3 zombies on the LoS and leave all the positionals free/protected but YMMV.Kick on my Skeleton is a bit of an experiment, I'll happily drop him and pick up a replacement if I'm finding it a bit naff. The main reason I'm taking it however is that it gives me a bit more flexibility in ball placement especially against agile teams. The teams I utterly failed against previously were agile teams that could keep the ball up at their end of the pitch, and sneak through a player or two to complete the pass + run TD as I hadn't got the speed to chase down both the thrower with the ball and the receivers. Kick should allow me to keep the ball closer to the LoS to keep the thrower pressured.

That said I'm a bit odd in that I run 2 LoS Skeletons and a Tomb Guardian on the LoS so I've got at least one Skeleton hanging around away from the LoS who can run Kick.

Screwie
18-07-2012, 10:39 AM
I think Kick is useful for everyone.

If you are a slow grindy team you can use it to kick very short and lure your opponent's softer, most precious pieces into the grinder.

Or, as Nurgle, you can be an asbolute bastard about it and kick the ball to land within your Disturbing Presence 'cloud'.

groovychainsaw
18-07-2012, 11:39 AM
I played boots last night in our day 2 divisions 2 clash. My humans versus his lizards. Boots was giving up 300TV so grabbed slibli (who is a very, very good ma7, str 4, block, guard, grab, stand firm.. I'd not seen him before) and a babe.

I win the roll and opt to receive, hoping to get a quick score in and get some points on my catchers. The ball goes very deep, I move a couple of blitzers back to cover the ball, run a blitzer+ a catcher up both wings, blitzing a skink and scoring a badly hurt immediately. A nice start! Bullseye (my thrower) picks up the ball and the line bashes the lizards back (a bit). Boots drops players back to tie up my 2 catchers and blitzers in his half, bashes a bit but its largely a stalemate. I move Bullseye up, as half the sauruses are back from the line, and tie up the rest, using Zod (my str 5 monster blitzer) to give me a solid cage. Couple of turns of hitting and dodging catchers away, I decide the ball is looking a little bit risky where it is, so a catcher dodges away into the endzone, bullseye runs into Boots' half and throws a perfect pass to score the touchdown, turn 5.

Boots receives (I kick short - I do like having kick) and makes the pickup. I've held 2 tackle mighty blow blitzers deep to prevent any mad skink dashes down the pitch early on, so boots leans on my left flanks with his krox, making some ground. The skink collects the ball. There's no easy way through for either team. Boots gets his ma9 skink into range, i see it coming and mark him up to at least force some dodges and goforits if it comes to it. And it does, the skink runs across, hands off, other skink makes several dodges, gets to the line, fails the first goforit (reroll...success!) and then trips over on the line with the second goforit. Nuffle's will be done - it's the classic fail a GFI to score. I mark up the ball with 2 players, but don't go for the pick as it's right on the line. Boots fails the pickup with his skink not even making the dodge onto the ball. I bash a bit, but at half time, there's still just the one injured skink, another KO'd skink recovers and slibli gets up from a nap. Boots is back on 11 players to receive, and I'm concerned about how to shut him out. Kicking short, I roll the 6 for distance and the ball bounces back into my half. A blackle saurus gets the touchback. I put players in the way to hold up any advance and try to get through to the saurus, hwilst tkaing out the skinks (who are the real scoring threat still). 1 turn later, my line weakens on the right when I get a skull result on a one dice block and boots charges down the right, and forms up a (very) loose cage. Boots ends his turn by Ko'ing a skink trying to dodge away (good old tackle working for me today). This gives me an opportunity. A selection of blocks and moves gains me a 2 dice block on the ball carrier on one corner (after my dodging blitzer escapes the clutches of the kroxigor - my luck with dodges was all with me today). I attack and get a trip, spilling the ball into a mix of lizards and humans, right on the sideline.

Some good blocks by boots in return clears the ball, although I've at least got a column of 2 players in front of the only channel to the TD-line. The skink moves in to pick up but fails, spilling the ball off the pitch and causing it to get thrown back in in the centre of my half, surrounded by marked up but threatening saruses as my team desperately tries to pin them in place. I start by hitting a skink with zod, which almost goes badly wrong immediately, burning my reroll to prevent a skull result. My next move is to pick up the ball, which is successful, fortunately. I try to get out of there as far as I can with the blodge blitzer who grabbed it, but there are several sauruses in range. That's ok, I'll just bash a couple down. Skulls. Oh - maybe I won't. My blitzer gets surrounded by lizards next turn, 2 sauruses and the final upright skink. Luckily it cost boots a blitz to get them there, so I've still got the ball, but I'm lacking in assistance. I get one player in to remove the tackle zones of the 2 sauruses, try to blitz the skink to escape. I only get a push and then have to dodge for my freedom. Which succeeds (again) and I dash up the left wing towards the half way line. I'm still within blitzing distance of the krox and another saurus, but both are tied up right now. I try to push back the saurus tide, but to little avail. Boots gets his sauruses free and makes the knockdown, spilling the ball and getting his remaining upright skink back to pick it up. Its the ma9 skink, and he's in range of the TD line...

My turn, there's only one saurus protecting the skink, but all my blitzers would have to fly through tackle zones to make the hit. I move others across as much as I can but boots still only needs one GFI next turn to score. Nuffle wouldn't be cruel enough to deny 2 TDs on a failed GFI, so I need to do something. Time for the outlandish plans. The only blitzing player in range is... my ogre. Break tackle, make one GFI and then a second to make the hit. I get push or both down. I take the both down, fortunately KO'ing the skink. The game is all but won now, 2 turns of me attempting to get the ball out of there (eventually getting thrown in to boots' half), getting tangled in a cage and then leaving my blitzer one square short to attempt an (undeserved) final TD. Final score, 1-0 to the 4 colour villains.

So, it was a good close game, where the dice definitely went better for me than boots. Most of my dodges, pickups, passes and catches worked whereas boots had much poorer luck, especially with pickups. I targeted his skinks nicely, although they proved fairly resilient, i did enough to tie them up for the most part. I was at a strength disadvantage, obviously, and was lucky boots doesn't have much guard or any mighty blow in his team otherwise my 'marking all the sauruses' strategy may have backfired. The block on both teams largely cancelled out any advantages we had, leaving a lot of players standing (my 2 wrestle linemen were handy). As it is, I survived to play another day. Given the opportunities he had, I might have conceded if boots had attacked with a skink in the second half, my team is fairly set up for taking down a str 4 ball carrier so the touchback possibly helped get the ball back for me (possibly?).

On to the mighty chainsawhands' elves for the final fight of the season, and back to trying to stop elves from scoring with impunity (which will still be hard as I've gained no new skills this season - I may resort to Helio-style fouling to even up the teams :-D).

sketchseven
18-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Div I

Odin's Longboatsmen 0 - 3 Machiavellian Mutilation

A well-played game from Corkir compounded by some horrific play from my end as well as injury dice that broke the armour countless times and never produced anything other than a stunned result.

I will drink my ale and pretend this game never happened.

Squiz
18-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Yay, another lost match for the orcs. 3-2 for the 460TV lower Skaven. Good match Zeno.

Can someone validate please?

Macavity
18-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Hello, can I join a league please?

LowKey
18-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Yes! Make sure you fill out the appropriate details in the spreedsheet on the first page then keep an eye on here for further orders when the next season starts, which should be in like a week, welcome!

NieA7
18-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Well, after encouraging Lovely Wife to join the divs it was only a matter of time before it happened - my second game this season was a spouse-off against Alini. Unfortunately she had picked dorfs, proving that my mother had been right about her all along...

Read in Tooth and Claw (Necro, me) vs. Brewery Management (Alini, Dwarf)

Brewery Management won the toss and elected to receive. The plan was to kick deep (I wouldn't be without Kick, I usually field one less Ghoul on defence) then sprint the wolves down the sides to pressure the carrier while the rest of the team tied up other dorfs. Hopefully I could force a spill and a quick score, getting the deathroller off the pitch before it had a chance to break too many of my players. Surprisingly enough, it worked. The dorfs pushed forward while one of the runners grabbed the ball and made for his comrades. Some aggressive counter blocking opened a route for a wolf to get through and harass the carrier, and the general slowness and poor agility of the dorfs conspired to make escape difficult. The ball was grabbed by a wolf on turn 3 who pegged it towards the end zone, only to be brought down on a 7 square blitz from the +MV deathroller. The ball was left on the ground, and a risky block/blitz/pick-up-in-tackle-zone came off without a hitch - 1-0 to Tooth and Claw.

The kick off result was a riot, giving the dorfs four turns to equalise. I kicked deep again but couldn't get much pressure through. A cage on the sidelines proved too tough to crack open, and in the space of a couple of turns a wight, wolf and zombie were KO'd off the pitch. Precision aggression from the dorfs smashed a hole in what was left of the Necro screen and a couple of dodges (made safer by the TRRs in hand) allowed them to move the cage to the middle of the field on turn 7. When my last TRR turned a one dice desperation blitz on the carrier to a skull there was nothing but an easy amble between the dorfs and the equaliser. A hugely unlikely one turn TD was foiled by a perfect defence result, leaving it 1-1 at half time.

Fortunately the wolf and wight made the KO recovery rolls, leaving the Necros at full strength for the second half. A slightly weighted setup came good when the ball scattered deep on that side of the pitch: while the ghouls covered the ball a screen was built on the left, while zombies and a golem were thrown at anything that moved on the right. While the Necro blocks hardly ever broke armour most resulted in dorfs eating dirt. With the team spending most their lying on their backs there was little the dorfs could do to stop the attack. Things took an ugly turn when a wolf failed a re-rolled dodge into space and picked up a MNG (only casualty on either side all match), but other than that everything went well enough that I could afford to stall for a turn before running it in with the remaining wolf on turn 13.

4 turns to score was more than possible for the dorfs, as they had proved in the first half. With the lead under my belt I set up conservatively, concentrating the team in the middle of the pitch. A deep kick went high but unfortunately for the dorfs a hand off to the runner near the scrimmage was spilled despite a re-roll, leaving them badly out of position. The Necro's took the chance to pounce, leaving the ghouls and a wight in the backfield while the rest of the team piled into the scrum. Denied the space they needed to advance the dorfs were forced into a series of increasingly desperate dodges, most of which came off until turn 15 when the carrier tripped over a golem and spilled the ball just behind the scrimmage. An attempt to steal a third TD nearly came off but unfortunately the Ag4 ghoul flubbed the quick pass (despite a re-roll) due to it being very sunny. With no players in position to score there was nothing left for the dorfs to do except throw a few half-hearted punches (nothing but pushes), leaving it 2-1 to Claw at full time.

A good match for me, going toe to toe with dorfs is always a risk but generally speaking I got the knock downs where I needed them even if the dorfs themselves were indestructible. Getting a MNG on a wolf is going to hurt against NTW's Skaven, doubly so as the failed third TD would've been enough to level up the other wolf and get tackle, but we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

Alini
18-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Well, ntw, I did my bit! I stood there most stoically while a wolf dodged away and injured itself, hence it's missing your game. What lovely injuries have you inflicted on Kajo?

ntw
18-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Yeah, Skaven vs Necro...we've not played it yet, but have no fear that my mighty rats will overturn all expectations and leave a field of cripples and rookies for you to face...maybe.

somanyrobots
19-07-2012, 01:31 AM
Any lasting injuries on the bloody Elves?

@squirrelfanatic: IIRC Prester John suffered 2 BH and 1 smashed hip. Which we both thought was -MA? He said he would probably be retiring that one (and it was a +AG elf too, an AG5 catcher).

@Heliocentric: You saw my Necros, I like having a kick zombie. I find that I need the extra flexibility to keep from getting rings run around me by elves. And I like Mighty Blow on werewolves (though I like having them both Blodging even more. I'd still take MB on a double though).

Zenohero
19-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Zenohero's Crunchy Skaven Vs. Squirrelfanatic's Rock, Paper, Sneaky Git

As we lined up to begin play, a little cyanide magic started as I found myself missing my regular Gutter Runner. I had to get an extra one with the petty cash I had due to Joose giving my other GR a nice, long stay in the Skaven hospital, but the one I had just magically dissipated, until I had lined up my guys and started play, when he magically reappeared on the sideline.

I won the toss and elected to receive, hoping to get a quick score in hopes of getting a quick lead and put squirrel on the back foot. The kick landed on the left side of my half, leaving me with only being able to mark the ball. His lineup was centralized and that let me walk my only Gutter Runner all the way down field on the right side in hopes of getting him free for a quick TD in a turn or two. I also planned to make use of my storm vermin and lead him down the left side, hoping to split the defense in terms of who they could block and mark.

As the LOS was torn apart pulling my lineman off the ground to keep the black orcs and the trolls from waltzing and knocking over my thrower, a small opening appears as the orcs he had sent over to tie up my Storm Vermin and the extra lineman who weren't needed to keep the black orcs away was knocked down, leaving my Stormvermin without a tackle zone on him.

Coming into turn 3, I had my only Gutter Runner luckily remain standing and was waiting in the middle of the endzone with a TZ on him. The play i needed to make hit me as I moved my Gutter Runner to the far left side of the field after nearly having him be knocked over. I then made a quick hand off to my Storm vermin who showed a little flalir in making a 4+ pass to my Gutter Runner in the endzone for a quick 1-0 lead for the Skaven on turn 3.

As Squirrel began his drive I pulled back my Gutter runners in fear of seeing them immediately get hit, but without any way to put some reliable pressure on with their movement, Squirrel quickly formed a cage and did what orcs do best; beat the ever living snot out of whatever moves close to the cage. Despite my stalling and desperate plays, Squirrel's cage held steady and he walked it in on turn 8 for the equalizer without the ball carrier ever being in much trouble.

Half time Score: 1-1

As I lined up to kick off, I realized I was in major trouble. I had only had blocks and dodge as my positional skills, nothing that will work for cage busting. with the game feeling like it was slipping away, the only possible play would be a quick blitz with my 2 Gutter Runners in hopes of knocking the ball lose and stopping him from forming the cage. I kicked the ball around mid way into his half and he quickly retrieved the ball, but the position he left his ball carrier in meant, that with a few dodges, I'd could be looking at a 1d dice blitz. it was risky, but I was lucky and came up with a defender stumbles, knocking the ball free. I then yanked my free Storm vermin around the side and with a reroll, picked up the ball and put him around the two Gutter runners. He tried to blitz my Stormvermin, but the most effective dice he rolled was a pushed, but he did surround my Stormvermin leaving only one Gutter Runner in contact. I had to make a -2 handoff roll, but my Gutter Runner grabbed the ball and after a quick dodge ran in the TD on turn 10 2-1 for the Crunchy Skaven

Lining up to kick again, I decided the same play would be worth another shot. This time he positioned his guys so i couldn't get a 1d blitz, so I tried a risky 2 blitz with Squirrel picking. It came up Defend down and stumbled and as the ball was knocked free, the Gutter Runner yanked the ball and made a quick move down the left side. Squirrel grabbed 3 orcs and put a small tacklezone for the Gutter Runner to climb through, but thankfully he got away, although eating up his dodge and then a team reroll around turn 12 for 3-1 For the Crunchy Skaven.

With the game essentially a lock, I yanked all my important positional players away from the orcs and pull them off to the side, letting squirrel walk in a quick TD and ending the match 3-2 in my favor.

Final Score: Crunchy Skaven 3 : Rock, Paper, Sneaky git 2

It definetely was a game that was closer then it looked, with a few of my plays being a mad blitz with no advantage and just happening to turn out in the best way possible. Sorry for the block of text, I have a tendency to ramble. Anyways GG Squirrel and good luck against Joose.

Squiz
19-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Squirrel grabbed 3 orcs and put a small tacklezone for the Gutter Runner to climb through, but thankfully he got away, although eating up his dodge and then a team reroll around turn 12 for 3-1 For the Crunchy Skaven.To put things into perspective, that Gutter Runner had to make 3 dodges: 1 into 2 tackle zones, 1 into 1 tackle zone, 1 into the open.

I lost the game because I made rookie mistakes like leaving my thrower in blitzing range and not fouling the Ag4 when it was on the ground. Blood Bowl is Blood Bowl so I'll eat this result.

Edit: My offensive setup was the same for all drives by the way.

Dentharial
19-07-2012, 07:18 AM
I still want your words on our last game!

Since rhyming is hard this early in the morning, I present a haiku for the most memorable moment of that game.

More injured TGs,
A cry from the Khemri's coach:
FUCK YOU WITH A RAKE

Alini
19-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Since rhyming is hard this early in the morning, I present a haiku for the most memorable moment of that game.

More injured TGs,
A cry from the Khemri's coach:
FUCK YOU WITH A RAKE

Love it...

Skydancer
19-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Hahhahha didn't remember THAT!

NieA7
19-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah, Skaven vs Necro...we've not played it yet, but have no fear that my mighty rats will overturn all expectations and leave a field of cripples and rookies for you to face...maybe.

Feel free to cripple your rats while achieving this noble goal!

Screwie
19-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Hey chaps, you may or may not be aware that our own Stunty league is now accepting applicants for its third season.

Each season so far has been an experiment in violence, hilarity and nuffle-baiting randomness and our next season is no different. Well actually, it is different. It's not different in that its different. Again.

This season we've let a few unofficial non-Stunty rosters try out for the league - from the fast but weak and costly Skink team, to the strong but slow and butterfingered Zombie team. Why not try them out? Or pick out a Goblin team and blow them up instead?

Check out the spreadsheet and the thread starting here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?2010-RPS-Blood-Bowl-Stunty-Tournament-%96-The-Gauntlin-Goblet!) if you're interested and have time for just a little more Blood Bowl each fortnight.

20phoenix
19-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Zenohero's Crunchy Skaven Vs. Squirrelfanatic's Rock, Paper, Sneaky Git

As we lined up to begin play, a little cyanide magic started as I found myself missing my regular Gutter Runner. I had to get an extra one with the petty cash I had due to Joose giving my other GR a nice, long stay in the Skaven hospital, but the one I had just magically dissipated, until I had lined up my guys and started play, when he magically reappeared on the sideline.

I won the toss and elected to receive, hoping to get a quick score in hopes of getting a quick lead and put squirrel on the back foot. The kick landed on the left side of my half, leaving me with only being able to mark the ball. His lineup was centralized and that let me walk my only Gutter Runner all the way down field on the right side in hopes of getting him free for a quick TD in a turn or two. I also planned to make use of my storm vermin and lead him down the left side, hoping to split the defense in terms of who they could block and mark.

As the LOS was torn apart pulling my lineman off the ground to keep the black orcs and the trolls from waltzing and knocking over my thrower, a small opening appears as the orcs he had sent over to tie up my Storm Vermin and the extra lineman who weren't needed to keep the black orcs away was knocked down, leaving my Stormvermin without a tackle zone on him.

Coming into turn 3, I had my only Gutter Runner luckily remain standing and was waiting in the middle of the endzone with a TZ on him. The play i needed to make hit me as I moved my Gutter Runner to the far left side of the field after nearly having him be knocked over. I then made a quick hand off to my Storm vermin who showed a little flalir in making a 4+ pass to my Gutter Runner in the endzone for a quick 1-0 lead for the Skaven on turn 3.

As Squirrel began his drive I pulled back my Gutter runners in fear of seeing them immediately get hit, but without any way to put some reliable pressure on with their movement, Squirrel quickly formed a cage and did what orcs do best; beat the ever living snot out of whatever moves close to the cage. Despite my stalling and desperate plays, Squirrel's cage held steady and he walked it in on turn 8 for the equalizer without the ball carrier ever being in much trouble.

Half time Score: 1-1

As I lined up to kick off, I realized I was in major trouble. I had only had blocks and dodge as my positional skills, nothing that will work for cage busting. with the game feeling like it was slipping away, the only possible play would be a quick blitz with my 2 Gutter Runners in hopes of knocking the ball lose and stopping him from forming the cage. I kicked the ball around mid way into his half and he quickly retrieved the ball, but the position he left his ball carrier in meant, that with a few dodges, I'd could be looking at a 1d dice blitz. it was risky, but I was lucky and came up with a defender stumbles, knocking the ball free. I then yanked my free Storm vermin around the side and with a reroll, picked up the ball and put him around the two Gutter runners. He tried to blitz my Stormvermin, but the most effective dice he rolled was a pushed, but he did surround my Stormvermin leaving only one Gutter Runner in contact. I had to make a -2 handoff roll, but my Gutter Runner grabbed the ball and after a quick dodge ran in the TD on turn 10 2-1 for the Crunchy Skaven

Lining up to kick again, I decided the same play would be worth another shot. This time he positioned his guys so i couldn't get a 1d blitz, so I tried a risky 2 blitz with Squirrel picking. It came up Defend down and stumbled and as the ball was knocked free, the Gutter Runner yanked the ball and made a quick move down the left side. Squirrel grabbed 3 orcs and put a small tacklezone for the Gutter Runner to climb through, but thankfully he got away, although eating up his dodge and then a team reroll around turn 12 for 3-1 For the Crunchy Skaven.

With the game essentially a lock, I yanked all my important positional players away from the orcs and pull them off to the side, letting squirrel walk in a quick TD and ending the match 3-2 in my favor.

Final Score: Crunchy Skaven 3 : Rock, Paper, Sneaky git 2

It definetely was a game that was closer then it looked, with a few of my plays being a mad blitz with no advantage and just happening to turn out in the best way possible. Sorry for the block of text, I have a tendency to ramble. Anyways GG Squirrel and good luck against Joose.

This is exactly the way to play skaven - keep out of contact while taking any possible shot at the ball carrier no matter the odds. They're perfect for hero plays. Its why I always try to have two wrackle runners so no ball carrier is safe from a blitz. Nice result.

Squiz
19-07-2012, 02:03 PM
This is exactly the way to play skaven - keep out of contact while taking any possible shot at the ball carrier no matter the odds. They're perfect for hero plays. Its why I always try to have two wrackle runners so no ball carrier is safe from a blitz. Nice result.There was plenty of contact between the rats and the orcs. Lucky armor rolls though. The "hero plays" mostly ended with the attacker on the floor. What made the game was the poor positioning on my part and incredible luck with the dodges. Oh and MV9 also helped. :P

Corkir
19-07-2012, 02:40 PM
What made the game was the poor positioning on my part and incredible luck with the dodges. Oh and MV9 also helped. :P

Are you overestimating the challenge of a few dodges? That killed Sketch in our game yesterday. It is a common mistake to think multiple dodges are harder than they are for finesse teams.

The three dodge path you mentioned earlier had a decent outcome. You forced a team reroll to be used when it had a better than evens chance of coming off without costing the skaven that asset. You’ll go mad playing against finesse teams if you keep thinking about that as bad luck. It only had about a 1 in 3 chance of failing.

Everblue
19-07-2012, 02:54 PM
It only had about a 1 in 3 chance of failing.

That's true (to my surprise). I calculate a 55% chance of success without needing a team reroll, rising to 64% chance of success if a team reroll is used. Gosh.

Squiz
19-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Are you overestimating the challenge of a few dodges? That killed Sketch in our game yesterday. It is a common mistake to think multiple dodges are harder than they are for finesse teams.

The three dodge path you mentioned earlier had a decent outcome. You forced a team reroll to be used when it had a better than evens chance of coming off without costing the skaven that asset. You’ll go mad playing against finesse teams if you keep thinking about that as bad luck. It only had about a 1 in 3 chance of failing.If I got it correctly, the rolls for the dodges had to be a 4+, a 3+, and a 2+. That's about 60% chance of success, depending on where the player took the re-rolls. It is a better than evens chance, but still quite a challenge. I am not saying that luck was the only thing that made the game (Zeno played a very good game in my opinion!), but rolls like these contributed quite a bit.

chadsexington
19-07-2012, 03:16 PM

They are incredibly difficult when I attempt them with my finesse teams.

...damn nuffle

ChainsawHands
19-07-2012, 03:19 PM
depending on where the player took the re-rolls.The odds don't depend on anything, there's no actual choice about the rerolls - they go on the first failed dodges.

Using my extensive intuitive grasp of probability, (http://elyoukey2.phpnet.org/sac/) I can confirm Everblue's calculations of 64% chance with TRR, which is roughly equal to the odds of an AG3 player making a single dodge into an open square without a reroll. That's really not particularly challenging.

Squiz
19-07-2012, 03:24 PM
The odds don't depend on anything, there's no actual choice about the rerolls - they go on the first failed dodges. Using my extensive intuitive grasp of probability, (http://elyoukey2.phpnet.org/sac/) I can confirm Everblue's calculations of 64% chance with TRR, which is roughly equal to the odds of an AG3 player making a single dodge into an open square without a reroll. That's really not particularly challenging.Wait, did I get that wrong? Isn't there a difference between

success->no-success(re-roll, success)-no-success(re-roll, success) and
no success(re-roll, success)->no-success(re-roll, success)->success?

ChainsawHands
19-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Well, after you've made the first roll and either passed or burned a reroll to pass then your odds for the rest of the steps will be different, but we want the overall odds for the whole thing before we know which of those will happen.

Think of it as each roll (or reroll) being a new crotch in the (multi-legged, branching) Trousers of Time: each time you roll a die the Trousers split six ways, and at the feet you've either got a success foot or a failure foot. What you've given there are the legs that lead to some of the success feet, and you're right that there may be different numbers of success feet along each of those legs. What we want to do,though, is work out, over all the legs, how many success feet vs failure feet there are.

Zenohero
19-07-2012, 03:55 PM
In all honesty, the dodges weren't the thing that were lucky I felt, it was actually knocking over your ball carrier when you had a 2d block. I am horrible at math, but their was a 33% chance of me suffering a turnover, a 33% chance of only having a push occur, and a 33% chance of me knocking you down without sending my Gutter Runner to the floor. So that was 1/3 chance +a reroll... my head hurts already lol. While the dodges were tough, I had two rerolls in the bank and it's not like you could do more after I knocked your ball carrier over and grabbed it. You through a 2d blitz and didn't knock my ball carrier over and you forced a slightly risky chance at a TD. I tend to have good dice rolls and even then, I had to throw a risky 1d blitz and then a 2d blitz with your choice to have any chance at actually removing the ball from your hand before it got into the unbreakable cage.

Edit: and if I remember correctly, I got through the 4+ one succesfully, burned my dodge reroll on the 3+ and then had to use a team reroll on the 2+. Not sure if that helps any.

edit edit: I forgot, so it was a 33% chance I think divided by 2 for you picking the dice + a reroll.... damn you math!

ChainsawHands
19-07-2012, 04:06 PM
edit edit: I forgot, so it was a 33% chance I think divided by 2 for you picking the dice + a reroll.... damn you math!1/3 chance per die, opponent's picking so you need both 1/3 chances to come up, that's a 1/3 x 1/3 = 1/9 chance of a knockdown (11%), 8/9 chance of not knocking down. With a reroll the chances of them both not being a knockdown are 8/9 x 8/9 = 64/81, so 17/81 chance of passing, which *uses calculator* comes to 21%.

potatoedoughnut
19-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Well, after you've made the first roll and either passed or burned a reroll to pass then your odds for the rest of the steps will be different, but we want the overall odds for the whole thing before we know which of those will happen.

Think of it as each roll (or reroll) being a new crotch in the (multi-legged, branching) Trousers of Time: each time you roll a die the Trousers split six ways, and at the feet you've either got a success foot or a failure foot. What you've given there are the legs that lead to some of the success feet, and you're right that there may be different numbers of success feet along each of those legs. What we want to do,though, is work out, over all the legs, how many success feet vs failure feet there are.

You're a hero.

Also the success of a -2d block is 11.11% (20.98% w/ TRR). That was the tricky part, making dodges with agi 4 and dodge is not that tough (as multiple people have noted).

Everblue
19-07-2012, 04:15 PM

That is simultaneously the most helpful and unhelpful post I have ever read.

Edit - Also it makes me think about Rincewind and the Luggage. Not sure why I mention that.

Squiz
19-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Well, after you've made the first roll and either passed or burned a reroll to pass then your odds for the rest of the steps will be different, but we want the overall odds for the whole thing before we know which of those will happen.Of course, you are right. I know about that trousers thing, somehow my mind was convinced that adding together different pairs of trousers would give me different amounts of feet and... ah, forget it. I wouldn't even know how to re-roll feet anyways. I stand corrected.

Still. Skaven. Fuck'em.

Everblue
19-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Incidentally - that odds checker is amazing - I'm going to have it open during all my games from now on!

I've previously been using probability trees, but not really practical during a game...

Thanks for the link, 'Hands

ChainsawHands
19-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the link, 'HandsYou're welcome - I saw your 64% calculation on the last page, thought "really?" and googled "blood bowl odds calculator". ;-)

Zenohero
19-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Of course, you are right. I know about that trousers thing, somehow my mind was convinced that adding together different pairs of trousers would give me different amounts of feet and... ah, forget it. I wouldn't even know how to re-roll feet anyways. I stand corrected.

Still. Skaven. Fuck'em.

please don't say that, Chad is next and I he has 5 (!) ST 4 or higher units who may think the same exact thing as they go in for a tackle >.<

Squiz
19-07-2012, 04:54 PM
please don't say that, Chad is next and I he has 5 (!) ST 4 or higher units who may think the same exact thing as they go in for a tackle >.<Oh, I say that about nearly any team that hits the weak spot of the Orcs. Ag4, lots of Dodge, more Block than me, high MV, and combinations thereof.

Norse. Fuck 'em.

Zenohero
19-07-2012, 05:00 PM
What he means is chad, is that you shouldn't try and bash the Skaven, but instead play the honored norse tradition of passing the ball ;)

chadsexington
19-07-2012, 05:45 PM
What he means is chad, is that you shouldn't try and bash the Skaven, but instead play the honored norse tradition of passing the ball ;)

Blood for Baal!
Blood for Baal!

LowKey
19-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Nuffle hates calculations

Kajo
19-07-2012, 06:27 PM
That site made me paranoid.

A wrackle strip baller has a 57% chance to steal the ball with a reroll, 82% with a TRR... on a -3D!

EDIT: add there a dodge on a 6+ in the tackle zones = 21% ç_ç

Prester John
19-07-2012, 09:10 PM
DIV F PROBLEM

Ok just tried to play my match with Skydancer, as noted on the spreadsheet...but Div F is set up for me to play with DaWink (not Skydancer). Not around til monday now. Suggestions on a postcard please? Can probably play 2 games next week depending on opponent avail....?

ntw
19-07-2012, 09:25 PM
DIV F PROBLEM

Ok just tried to play my match with Skydancer, as noted on the spreadsheet...but Div F is set up for me to play with DaWink (not Skydancer). Not around til monday now. Suggestions on a postcard please? Can probably play 2 games next week depending on opponent avail....?

Crap - that's 2 we messed up this time :(

Play your week3 fixtures (according to the sheet) in Week2 (i.e. now)

Skydancer
19-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Crap - that's 2 we messed up this time :(

Play your week3 fixtures (according to the sheet) in Week2 (i.e. now)

We need to keep you off vodka for a while! :p

Jarvis
19-07-2012, 09:49 PM
That is simultaneously the most helpful and unhelpful post I have ever read.

Edit - Also it makes me think about Rincewind and the Luggage. Not sure why I mention that.

The Trousers of Time as a description for alternate realities is a discworld thing.

Screwie
19-07-2012, 11:46 PM
I forfeited my match against MadDave123's Nurgle. He was 1-0 up at the time but it was turned out to be a ridiculously one-sided game. It's probably the first time I've ever quit on a match in-progress, not even sticking with it for the MVP consolation prize at the end.

I feel kinda dirty now.

I love my Dark Elves, and I like to put the effort in when it comes to the DoD. I really look forward to playing them all week. I often reshuffle my team to get the maximum advantage from the TV difference. I make plans, even jot down little strategies, pick out opposing players to target/avoid. I even follow those plans, I make the smart moves, except...

Ones. Lots and lots of ones.

I went 1-0 down but I pushed on through to the second half and then ran out of TRRs which were wasted on basic, reliable elfy stuff and, outnumbered and with no reliable way of cracking a cage of Guards, Fenders and Standers Firm, all I had to look forward to was a painful grind to the finish. I apologised to Dave and cut my losses before his mad murder men did lasting damage.

Eff Nuffle for stealing the highlight of my Blood bowl week. :/

cyberpunkdreams
19-07-2012, 11:50 PM
I feel kinda dirty now.

We've all been there... I came seriously close to a rage quit during my last DoD match against sketchseven.

20phoenix
20-07-2012, 12:16 AM
My rats took on Walrus' Khemri this evening. I received and after my ball carrier ate turf a couple of turns in I recovered and scored giving Walrus three turns to score back. With all his team at the LOS I sent a deep kick back but it turned out to be a cunning ruse. Unable to secure the ball immediately I sent rats pouring into the backfield leaving the only option as a pass to a skeleton on the halfway line. The skeletons must have been hopped up on elf beer as the thro-ra scooped up the ball and passed off to the skeleton who strolled into a full cage halfway inside my half. I managed to get some pressure on the carrier but after failing a dodge to get a second marker it was an easy blitz for the skeleton to cross. 1-1 half time. The second half saw the khemri rolling a slow and steady cage forward until a tiny mistake gave the rats a sniff. A corner of the cage was popped open and a nearby stormvermin hit the ball carrier who spilled the ball. The big hand gutter was able tomake a couple of dodges, pick up the ball but fluffed a hand off to a marked gutter and the ball was on the floor again. The khemris were able to recover though and managed to retrieve the ball and get into a fairly strong cage. Except for one rat sized hole. The vermin was sent through again with the same result. Again the big hand runner was thrown in to retrieve the ball but this time was successfully able to hand off for a gutter to stall a few turns by the end zone, even managing to pass some time with some SPP generating passing. Again the Khemri were set three turns to score but a blitz hampered their chances. A blodge gutter was able to get under the ball and catch it but got a kick in the arse for his trouble. The final few turns descended into a scuffle for the ball until time ran out. Thanks to Walrus for a great game.

2-1 Global Warping

Heliocentric
20-07-2012, 12:19 AM
We've all been there...

This, when the game shits on you? I start fouling, killing players is seriously cathartic. I suggest fouling with players you fear might get fouled, as a pitch ejection will keep them safe :D

MadDave123
20-07-2012, 12:45 AM
I forfeited my match against MadDave123's Nurgle. He was 1-0 up at the time but it was turned out to be a ridiculously one-sided game. It's probably the first time I've ever quit on a match in-progress, not even sticking with it for the MVP consolation prize at the end.

I feel kinda dirty now.
It was a very one sided match indeed. Nuffle wasn't playing very fair.

No worries about the forfeit. Thanks for sticking with it as long as you did. If BB was played with a control pad and I were in your position, I'm pretty sure the pad would've been out of my window or on the floor in a million pieces by turn 12.

Ho hum.

potatoedoughnut
20-07-2012, 01:14 AM
even managing to pass some time

I see what you did there

Screwie
20-07-2012, 09:36 AM
This, when the game shits on you? I start fouling, killing players is seriously cathartic. I suggest fouling with players you fear might get fouled, as a pitch ejection will keep them safe :D

Actually part of my original gameplan was to remove Dave's ClawPOMB warrior before he could do much damage.

A great opportunity fell into my lap towards the end of the first half with 5 unmarked elves surrounding the prone warrior - but typically I conceded a turnover in the process of getting the 6th guy in there to foul him.

It would have been a very cathartic foul by that point, too...

Heliocentric
20-07-2012, 10:15 AM
You made a dodge to foul? Pfft, elves.

LowKey
20-07-2012, 11:27 AM
So iv been humming and haaring on whether i should go helf or stick with my beloved undead, then last night snoozer killed my level 4 mummy and my star level 5 ghoul, thanks for helping me make up my mind pal!

fuck you dwaaaarrrfffsss

Heliocentric
20-07-2012, 11:47 AM
So iv been humming and haaring on whether i should go helf or stick with my beloved undead, then last night snoozer killed my level 4 mummy and my star level 5 ghoul, thanks for helping me make up my mind pal!

fuck you dwaaaarrrfffsss

Did the mummy have many doubles? But ghouls dying is normal.

Indefatigible Snoozer
20-07-2012, 07:24 PM

fuck you dwaaaarrrfffsss

It was my...pleasure?

Nullkigan
20-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah those dwarfs are ridiculous. All block, guard, tackle, mighty blow. Then a mv7 runner. Then a Str4 Agi5 runner.

Someone call the Chaos Squad!

Jiiiiim
20-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Can someone soften them up before they make it to my skinks, please.

cyberpunkdreams
20-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Division I

Black Bombers (me, Gobbo) vs The Graveyard Escapists (proxyMath, Undead)

It's day two of the DoD, and way down in the depths of Division I, The Black Bombers face off against The Graveyard Escapists in what will turn out to be a brutal, scrappy match. The Escapists have been badly mauled in their day one match, leaving them down to nine players. The Bombers have been scudding around the bottom of the league for a while now, accumulating experience and wielding a 15 man squad. Can this much more experienced goblin team walk over the opposition and secure their first ever win?

First half
The Bomber's gameplan for the match was simple: use their secret weapons and heavy hitting trolls to get the undead numbers down quickly... especially those ghouls and wights. Even with the inducements given away, the Escapists are still only fielding 12 men, so the numbers game could tell on them quickly, and with the ghouls and wights off the pitch, the Bombers could even get a speed advantage.

The match opened straight into the Bomber's arms, with the ball being kicked deep into their half and a wight being punched straight off the pitch. He failed to regenerate, as did a lot of the undead players, but regeneration did factor heavily during the match, so it became doubly important for the Bombers to protract the half as long as possible. That they did, finally rolling in their touchdown on turn eight after hanging around the endzone for a while, aided by a quick pass and plenty of undead off the field. The Escapists never really pressured the ball carrier during the whole drive, with all their capable players being either out of range or pinned down. The chainsaw did a reasonable job of knocking players over (just stuns, mind) before being knocked off himself and the ball & chain dude was a whirlwind of madness up and down the left flank in easily his best match: low on injuries, but high on knockdowns and generally keeping the opposition pinned and bricking themselves. Both trolls started the match well, throwing out serious punches almost every turn and never losing sight of the plot for once.

Second half
The half started 1-0 to the Bombers, with their gameplan clearly in action. The Escapists were down to nine players on the pitch and missing both wights, facing off against a goblin squad at full strength. The Bombers had kept their bombardier in reserve, had both trolls on and were feeling good.

The kick went into the middle of the Escapists's half and the punching began. Clearly discombobulated by the presence of the bombardier on the pitch, the Escapists coach ordered their merc ghoul deep behind enemy lines to take him out... and just managed to push him around a bit. Luckily for said ghoul, the Bomber's troll could only push him back in return. A couple of turns in, the Escapists made their critical mistake of the match, and ran their ball carrying ghoul down the Bomber's left flank without any protection, relying on all the Bomber's players in range being heavily marked. Clearly a trap for young players: you can't reliably mark a stunty dodge player.

Needless to say, said ghoul was pretty quickly on the ground and the ball surrounded. The Bomber's dominated from this point onwards, surrounding the ball and generally keeping the undead pinned and on the ground (you can successfully mark an AG2 player, after all). The bombardier didn't even need to shoot his fizzing load. The only thing that prevented another score was failing to pick up the ball three times in a row, followed by a failed short pass when it finally did end up in a gobbo's hands. Picking up the ball was the only problem for the Bomber's during the match, with only two successes versus seven failures (a lot of those with rerolls as well). Other than that, Nuffle was definitely on the little guys' side, but only by a smidgen... which was lucky for them, seeing as they had to make 79 D6 rolls, versus the Escapists' 25.

Final score: Black Bombers 1 - 0 The Graveyard Escapists

And so, the Black Bombers are very happy to report their first ever win and a strategy that went completely to plan (for once!), proving them to be a capable team when a) Nuffle isn't out to make life hard for them and b) the coach actually has a plan and is paying attention. Admittedly, however, the match was against an inexperienced and battered undead team... day three's match against Corkir's Dark Elves will surely prove not so easy.

MadDave123
20-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Actually part of my original gameplan was to remove Dave's ClawPOMB warrior before he could do much damage.

A great opportunity fell into my lap towards the end of the first half with 5 unmarked elves surrounding the prone warrior - but typically I conceded a turnover in the process of getting the 6th guy in there to foul him.

It would have been a very cathartic foul by that point, too...
Believe it or not, that's the first ClawPOMB player I've had in my life, EVER! My Pestigor ClawMB got killed and so did my early Beast with block and other nastiness. I guess people don't like them for a reason. :D

desvergeh
21-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Division H - Bishi Bashi Speshal vs Irrelevant Ilnesses

This match-up put the Blood into Bloodbowl. Both teams had minimal ball-handling skills, and were designed to cause maximum pain. What would happen when an unstoppable force met an immovable object? Lots of pushing and shoving on the Line of Scrimmage!

Due to team difference, Ilnesses picked up 400k of inducements, buying an Igor, 2 babes and some extra training.

The ball was kicked deep, with BBS receiving. The orcs set-up a thorough defensive screen at the LoS whilst giving away as few blocks as possible. However the ball retrieval went a bit haywire, with the thrower assigned failing his GFI and eating dirt.

The match continued much in this way, with the thrower failing in the pickup, followed by a failed pass, leaving the ball loose yet again.

Meanwhile both teams were determined to crack a few skulls. An early KO on the Ilnesses side was topped by them then killing a star orc blocker, despite the apothecary's intervention. Grrr 4th dead orc in 5 games.

A pestigor made it through the orc lines, scooped the ball up, and made for the orc endzone. Embarassed by his earlier failures, the orc thrower rushed to block the pestigor, assisted by a nearby lineman, knocking the ball free and placing the pestigor in the injury box. Little had changed though, with the battle just relocating to the balls vicinity.

Nuffle was with the orcs for now though, and the scuffle left enough of a gap for an orc blitzer to grab the ball. Quickly manouevering to place a defensive cage on the LoS, the ball finally moved forward. The few remaining free members of the Ilnesses moved to defend, but they were too out of position, leaving BBS with a TD on turn 8.

The 2nd half began, and proceeded in much the same way. The ball was kicked deep, and the mayhem again started on the LoS. However, despite carefully chaining their blocks to remove the orcs guard advantage, the Ilnesses just could not make a consistent hole in BBS' defence. This was compounded by the orcs having isolated and knockdowned the Ilnesses beast, meaning he spent half the match rolling around stupidly on the pitch.

Finally, with 2 turns left on the clock a hole appeared in the green mass, but the ball-carrying pestigor was too far into their own side. The Ilnesses only choice was a final turn risky play. A pestigor deep into the orcs side dodged away from the marking orc, moving into position in the endzone. All the ball-carrying pestigor needed to do was make 2 dodges, and then complete the pass. The dodges proved easy, but the passing was an aspect that continued to elude both teams.

Bishi Bashi Speshal 1 - Irrelevant Ilnesses 0

Corkir
21-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Final score: Black Bombers 1 - 0 The Graveyard Escapists

Damn you! That was the one result that stopped me winning the division already and being free to just avoid damage and farm skills next round :( Now I require a result. Most unsporting!

cyberpunkdreams
21-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Damn you! That was the one result that stopped me winning the division already and being free to just avoid damage and farm skills next round :( Now I require a result. Most unsporting!

I think you've got it anyway. If I beat you we'll draw on points but you'll be ahead on TD difference... not sure about casualties though.

ChainsawHands
21-07-2012, 04:14 PM
I was 4-2 up over HughTower's welfs on Turn 14 when Cyanide intervened - despite both of our BB clients still running and us both being online and chatting in Steam, it gave us the "connection lost" timeout. :-(

After it timed out I couldn't even abandon the match, and after I alt+F4ed out and went back in it's showing as unplayed on the league management screen. HughTower very generously offered to concede though, so... 4-2 to me, I guess? :-/

*sigh*anide.

Corkir
21-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Unless Sketch also wins to make it a three way tie you'd finish ahead by virtue of beating me. That is the first tie break.

cyberpunkdreams
21-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Unless Sketch also wins to make it a three way tie you'd finish ahead by virtue of beating me. That is the first tie break.

Ah yes... bring it on then! I think Sketch is likely to win (I gave proxyMath one MNG on a wight I believe), but you never know what'll happen...

Squiz
21-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Division L: Boatmurdered Athletics FC (Dwarf, Joose) vs. Rock, Paper, Sneaky Git (Orc, me)

The difference in team value was this time not as bad as during the last match of the Orcs. Still, 340k in inducements were available for the Dwarfs to spend and Joose chose 3 (!) extra team re-rolls, coming out at 6 re-rolls in total.

The coin toss came up in favor for the Orcs and the Greenskins decided to receive. I know that sometimes it is better to defend first against bashy teams, so that the defense can rely on the full roster, but a quick comparison of Joose's roster with mine told me that I was up in players (13 in total with my freshly acquired Goblin).

The first half of the game played out without many surprises. The Orcs managed to form a cage pretty quickly, helped by a successful quick pass of the retrieving thrower. Shortly before said cage reached the endzone however, the Dwarfs managed to knock the ball loose one time which led to a bit of a panic reaction on my side. Nevertheless, the Orc thrower managed another pick-up and dove behind a loose screen of team-mate, right next to the endline. My idea was to stall until turn 8 but Joose put up a really good fight. Seeing the pressure on my screen rising, I decided that turn 7 was good enough and scored.

How wrong I was. A careless setup that left the wide-zones free combined with a horrible kick that resulted in touch-back for Joose allowed one of the Dwarven runners to bypass the first defensive line while the remaining part of the team easily tied-up most of the Orcs that would have been able to intercept that player. Although one of the Orcish blitzers was able to escape from the sweaty grip of a trollslayer and reached base-contact with the runner, he couldn't prevent a quick dodge-go-for-it-combination that led to the equalizing touch-down in turn 8.

Seeing how quick the Dwarven offense proved to be, the Orcs became a little bit worried about the odds for a win. A quick debate during the half-time break resulted in a slightly different setup for the kick-off, with Jockie the Goblin (sorry, Screwie, I promised you to name him after you, but Cyanide decided your name would be too offensive to be allowed) seeing his first use on the pitch.

A quick-snap event and another horrible kick placed the ball only one square away from the Line of Scrimmage, with a Dwarven blocker moving below the pill. However, the little guy failed the catch, fumbling the ball right in front of the black orcs' feet. The following turns were spent on punching and shoving but ultimately resulted in an Orcish blitzer holding the ball, sitting in a hastily arranged sideline-cage. Some more shoving and pushing later, the Orcs had somehow managed to screen off most of the defending players with the ball carrier behind a loose screen. This time the Orc coach was a bit more careful and managed to draw out the touch-down until the very last moment.

End result: 2-1 for the Orcs. Finally a win for my Orcs that recently had a lot of trouble finding their game.

Thanks for the nice match, Joose!

chadsexington
21-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Started div L game - my Norse against Zeno's skaven. Things were going great for me - touchback on kickoff, stunning everyone first turn, injuring a gutterrunner on the first hit.

Nuffle was not satisfied with the dice so he forced a DC.

Started again and the injuries were not much better for Zeno. He graciously accepted to kick to honour the previous rolls of the DC'd game, and I began the injuries. It is probably a very good thing he took a second apoth and a babe with his inducement money. He needed them both.

I don't have a play-by-play, but I was able to move my cage effortlessly throughout his half to stall by the endzone. By Turn 8 he had two players left on the pitch. I really wanted to get them both off the field as I have heard that if they have no players on the field it is an automatic win. I wanted to see if that would happen.

Regardless, I walked it in for 1-0 to end the half.

Enough rats wake up at the half to field the full 11.

Kicking off, Zeno's skaven moved quickly, putting two gutter-runners deep in my half. I push hard on his QB due to a blitz event and generally harass everyone, everywhere. I frenzied players closer to the sidelines, chainblocking when possible. He manages to very sneakily toss the ball to a well guarded runner, who ninja's out quite easily and runs downfield, handing off to one of the other runners.

He is now within a few squares of an easy TD, and my hero-blitz only pushed him a square away.

He elects to postpone the TD as long as possible, but I make it quite clear that every turn he waits I am going to punish his nearby rats. A few KO's and perhaps a dead linerat later, he walks it in on T11.

Zeno kicks off and the injuries begin anew. Three CAS off the line, rats dropping left and right. I again move the cage deep into his half without problem, scoring on T15.

T16 sees me getting perfect D and again being stupid about it, costing me the use of a werewolf next match.

I'll learn one of these days.

2-1 Norse > Skaven
GG & thanks for the match

El Cubo
21-07-2012, 06:48 PM
My Wayward Gladiators just finished their match against Nullkigan's Supernumaries. Thanks to the TV difference I could induce a wizard and a beer seving babe. The game went favourably enough. The boys managed to break elven armour often, and during the first few rounds managed to knock several skilled elves out by punching, crowd surfing and with one well placed foul by Insalubrius. Despite my fortune, Nullkigan managed to knock the ball carrier down on the final round as he was stalling near the end zone (If he had stood one square farther, the blitzer couldn't have reached him. Why do I fear sidelines with a side stepper?) My sure handed thrower failed the pick up, so the first half ended 0-0.

Only two elves recovered, so there were 7 elves attacking against my 10 norsemen. Thanks to my reckless disregard of frenzy and side step, I lost two players in the first couple of turns. Nullkigan attacked deep with three of his elves while keeping the ball carrier well back. Not far enough, though, so I decided to go all in. The wizard dislocated the ball, and Lucius Vorenus, the DT+SS runner and tackling linemen ran next to it with all the speed their feet could muster. Even Brutus the Snow Troll went two squares for the blitz and knocked a protecting elf lineman down. But, well, you know, elves... So the st4 blitzer who had carried the ball jumped up, dodged away, picked up the ball from three tackle zones, dodged away from the tackler and diving tackler and threw a perfect long pass (bomb?) to a waiting witch elf who... failed the catch. I was fortunate enough to have an ulfwerener and my thrower in range. The blitz to push the witch farther was succesful, and the thrower got to try some proper elf ball. The long pass was accurate and the ball was even caught! From there I was stalling again. I figured it to be safe since Nullkigan had most of his elves over on the other side of the pitch. Too bad for my players he adopted bashy tactics and injured one or two of my players (The thrower even got -ma). I held from scoring until turn 14 when the carrier got blitzed by 1d block (pushback).

Nullkigan had two turns left to score with no rerolls. Two elven blitzers went for the end zone but double skulls on LoS ended his turn prematurely and left the ball carrier far away. Brutus had one of his more lucid moments and staggered after the blitzers. I ganged around them as well as I could but was cut short when Lucius failed to dodge to a better position. One of the blitzers got enough assists to give him a 2d blitz. He got to the end zone, but handing the ball to the elf who would throw it proved too difficult. Brutus almost killed the str4 elf blitzer at the end, but apothecary converted that to MNG.

1-0 for Wayward Gladiators. Thanks for the match, Nullkigan! My players shamed themselves by losing the CAS contest 4-1, but I guess the plentiful KO's right at the start of the match made up for it.

e: By the way, Nullkigan's team in the roster has been renamed Lucky Lycanthropes.

Zenohero
21-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Crunchy Skaven ( Ska, Me) VS. Norwegian Fancy Nancies (Nor, Chadsextington)

Coming into this match, with a chance at wining the division and getting out of the blockfest that is division L, I use the 190k on a apoth. and babe and set off with the Skaven to fight the Norse. I'm ready to handle anything up to the kitchen sink. The first game dc's, which was probably for my benefit since I had to burn one of two apoths. to keep my only GR with a level on the field and already had about 3 injury breaks. I elected to kick to honor last games starting roll, figuring what could go wrong ( If you ever desperately want to lose a blood bowl match and/or end up with numerous injuries, be sure to say this as you began :P)

I start the game with kicking the ball off field and quickly things start to go wrong. 3 blocks in and I've already lost 2 lineman to KO's. I proceed to mark the ball carrier with a stormvermin, but nearly lose another one for the drive when I position him into a good surfing position, but instead just takes a trip to the floor. he makes up for it though by snapping the spine of one of my linesman and dropping his lifeless carcass to the floor. using an apoth. was tempting, but he didn't even had any SPP and the two apoth's were for positionals. The stormvermin tied with the ball carrier doesn't find this amusing and gives me a slight opening when he puts him to the ground and leaving me with 2 gutter runners, one that has a TZ on him, but could easily out run the pack to give me a pretty assured TD, and one that I need to pick the ball up and hand it to him.

Nuffle has had enough of "skavensanity" as it were and decides that its about time that my Gutter Runners pay respect, as the one sent to retrieve the ball quickly crashes to the floor and ending my turn. After having to use 3 guys, he finally knocks down my Stormvermin and then a Runner retrieves the ball and at this point Chad is tired of just using a kitchen sink and decides to cover it in nails, because it get the point across far better.

The blocks start piling up by turn 4 as I have 1 death and 4 KO'd, which consists of lineman and a lone Gutter Runner who found out that trolls are, in fact, evil bastards. my attempts at hero ball continues as I throw a Stormvermin at the ball carrier who gets a 2d dice advantage and the stormvermin is lucky to not have his face plastered on the floor. that changes as few blocks later, he finds out that off the pitch is just as dangerous as on it. Another lineman feels bad for him and decides to get thrown off as well, suffering a badly hurt after a chain push. after a knockdown and then another crowd surf, the first half comes to a miraculous close as Chad walks in a turn 8 TD.

Second half Crunchy Skaven 0 : Norwegian Fancy Nancies 1

Coming into the second half, despite the clusterfuck of blocks and injuries in the first, I felt good. all of my Ko's recovered with the help of a babe and I had 2 spare Lineman, so I still fielded 11. My plan was to stall a few turns to get Gutter Runners in position and cut down the time that chad had to go downfield on his next drive and maybe causing a turnover and a quick TD for a 2-1 victory. Blitzed is rolled, which immediately throws any safety I had out the window as he had blitzers deep in my half and leaving me in trouble. In the blitz though, he pulls everybody upfield, leaving a nice gap for a few Gutter Runners to go through if they can manage a few dodges and a catch in a TZ.

my thrower grabs the ball and makes me smile with glee at the thought of a pure passing team as he makes a perfect throw to my Gutter Runner on the left side, who becomes a catcher elf as he picks it up in a TZ. He quickly turns back into a GR and hauls it downfield, with another Gr waiting by for support. He scrambles a few of his men back upfield to try and blitz them, but my Blodgy GR proves to be the bastard I hoped him to be as he keeps his footing. I also pulled a rookie GR up the turn prior in hopes of splitting his defense, but as it turns out he's wide open, allowing me to make a dodge away from his blitzer and make another catch and pass. I stall an extra turn, but he quickly looks to put the Skaven pain on, not to mention the biggest issue in my eyes, he has a blitzer in range of my rookie GR and quickly surrounds the blodgy one, leaving me with the possibility of waiting a turn and suffering numerous injuries and losing my opportunity at a score and grab a quick TD and hope for a good defensive stall? I opt for the quick TD on turn 11 and its 1-1.

Lining up for the next drive, I know I need something, anything to go my way, a blitz, a turn fast forwarded. I get a rock that stuns, not exactly what I wanted, but I'll see if it pays off. Chad Remembers the game plan, and proceeds to do a drive that is awfully familiar, including a killing of a Lineman and another that will MNG. I also suffer a -ST on a Stormvermin, but a apothecary works some magic an instead I only end up with a BH. This time their isn't an opportunity like last time , as Chad makes a beautiful drive down field and caps it off on turn 15 for a 2-1 lead.

My 16th turn pops up and I know that I don't have the build on my GR to get a 1 turn TD and the dice agree, as a perfect defence pops up. Still, he plants a rookie Werewolf next to my Blitzer and GR, and my Stormvermin gives him a nice welcome into Blood bowl by promptly breaking his hand. It isn't 2 deaths and 2 BH, but i'll take it. The game ends mercifully with the Skaven leaving the field as having lost the game, but still winners in the assistant coach's eyes ( I'm slowly preparing a torture method for the Gutter Runner who couldn't dodge his way to the ball in the first half.)

Final Score- Crunchy Skaven 1 : Norwegian fancy nancies

Final thoughts: This was a match that I knew was going to be tough and indeed it was. On one hand, I lost 2 Lineman and will be done another one come next season, but on the positive, the two that died had no SPP on them and weren't contributing much anyways.

My Stormvermin need some more love, as they pulled their weight this match. Any defensive pressure in the first half came from my Stormvermin who were able to mark the runner and took several blocks to finally be put down. I need kick, as if I were able to push the cage a few squares farther back, a rush play or two could have turn the match around. A Rat ogre would be helpfull, so I can not get my ass kicked in every brawl and have a nice cage buster.

The loose ball in the first half was the turning point, as while their was no guarentee I would have made the pass or even picked up the ball ( I still had to make another dodge), it would have changed this match's look completely, but the last two matches my Gutter Runners had made clutch ( translation: 2-3 TZ) dodges to help me secure or take a lead, so I can't complain about the dodges too much.

and lastly, I want to give out a huge congratulations to ChadSexington, who played a hell of a match and made this one of the best matches I've played, minus the injuries. I'm proud of the Skaven and may not even kill all of them ( 60% probability it'll happen :P). Thanks for reading this and I hope that everyone has an awesome end to the season and here's hoping for fresh ( NOT BASHY) blood in division L next season :D

groovychainsaw
21-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Chaps, just a friendly reminder that day 2 ends on monday night. I'll be defaulting those who don't get their excuses in ;-)

Heliocentric
21-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Chaps, just a friendly reminder that day 2 ends on monday night. I'll be defaulting those who don't get their excuses in ;-)
I desperately want to play my third game so show no mercy to the other match in League J.

I'm finally match fit with 13 players and a player with kick. this means short kicks and lots of fouls, oh and look some lovely AV7 norse to foul. Whats that you say, an AV9 Yheetee? Meet my mighty blow+claws+frenzy werewolf... Good times.

Nullkigan
21-07-2012, 10:23 PM

DivB have already finished their day 3 games! It'll be a shame to break up the Speed Demon Division, but I think I need so spend some time arguing with a lower division hobgoblin merchant about whether this armour really is any better than the leaves woodelves wear.

Squiz
21-07-2012, 10:26 PM
I desperately want to play my third game so show no mercy to the other match in League J.

I'm finally match fit with 13 players and a player with kick. this means short kicks and lots of fouls, oh and look some lovely AV7 norse to foul. Whats that you say, an AV9 Yheetee? Meet my mighty blow+claws+frenzy werewolf... Good times.You'll like that: Yheetee only have AV8.

Edit: Nevermind, saw the +AV just now.

Edit˛: Could a kind admin please verify Joose's and my game in Div L?

chadsexington
21-07-2012, 10:50 PM
and lastly, I want to give out a huge congratulations to ChadSexington, who played a hell of a match and made this one of the best matches I've played, minus the injuries. I'm proud of the Skaven and may not even kill all of them ( 60% probability it'll happen :P). Thanks for reading this and I hope that everyone has an awesome end to the season and here's hoping for fresh ( NOT BASHY) blood in division L next season :D

Thanks mate - was a great match and you were fun to play. I was genuinely worried that you would be able to quickly turn around and score to steal the game from me ;)