PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The many, many Divisions of Death!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

cyberpunkdreams
21-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Meet my mighty blow+claws+frenzy werewolf... Good times.

So, to paraphrase, you're asking Xenny to foul your mighty blow+claws+frenzy werewolf into oblivion before ripping the rest of your team apart with Mr Yheti? Is that right? I'll pass it on...

Zenohero
22-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks mate - was a great match and you were fun to play. I was genuinely worried that you would be able to quickly turn around and score to steal the game from me ;)

ehh, I didn't have one being built yet. Now if I had a sprint GR and a 1 offence square move now that would be something ;)

chadsexington
22-07-2012, 02:12 AM
ehh, I didn't have one being built yet. Now if I had a sprint GR and a 1 offence square move now that would be something ;)

Oh, and upon looking at the replay, I have decided my play of the match was when I was stalling for a TD and went to surf your thrower - I needed to frenzy him two squares first to set up for the lineman charge.

I frenzy him once, I get stumble and down or some such, so I reroll for the desired push, push him, then double-skull.

sketchseven
22-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Excuse my lack of BB knowledge, but what's the benefit of surfing someone vs. just knocking them over? Surely pummelling someone into the pitch and having a chance of scoring some SPP is better than just pushing them straight into the crowd (I mean, burning a reroll to get a push rather than a pow or defender stumbles?)

Zenohero
22-07-2012, 03:24 AM
Excuse my lack of BB knowledge, but what's the benefit of surfing someone vs. just knocking them over? Surely pummelling someone into the pitch and having a chance of scoring some SPP is better than just pushing them straight into the crowd (I mean, burning a reroll to get a push rather than a pow or defender stumbles?)

pushing them off the pitch is a guaranteed numbers advantage and it doesn't have to break armor, its a pure injury roll. It also had to with the moment, he wouldn't have done it if he didn't have an extra turn to score and I only had one guys close to the ball, so it's not like I could blitz and then throw to a guy downfield ( coincidentally, I only had 2 players on the pitch at this time >.<)

potatoedoughnut
22-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Chaps, just a friendly reminder that day 2 ends on monday night. I'll be defaulting those who don't get their excuses in ;-)

Excuses! Grinn & I haven't had a chance to meet in the champs yet. I think we're going to try for Tuesday afternoon UK time.

Kajo
22-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Bad week for me... we'll try to play as soon as possible

Dentharial
22-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Chaps, just a friendly reminder that day 2 ends on monday night. I'll be defaulting those who don't get their excuses in ;-)

Uh-oh, really!?

Me and Cacamas have our match scheduled for Tuesday evening, so Div G will ideally need an extension until then. Sorry to the other pair in our division!

Heliocentric
22-07-2012, 08:31 AM
So, to paraphrase, you're asking Xenny to foul your mighty blow+claws+frenzy werewolf into oblivion before ripping the rest of your team apart with Mr Yheti? Is that right? I'll pass it on...

Yes, foul my entirely 'regenerate' team.. ^_^

Truly the best way to handle undead is avoidance, but I suppose the norse principle is confrontation.
This leads to a harmonious match, like Elves vs Skaven with passes and interceptions having about 6 factors to consider Ag4 vs disturbing aura, safe throw vs long legs, hail Mary Pass vs everything intercepty.

Well Corpses Vs Norse makes a great march up, don't misunderstanding I could fail magnificently. But neither are penned into any one strategy. Norse might be faster than zombies but they are also more bashy. Zombies might 'just be the linesmen' but they have a magic of their own.

Gorm
22-07-2012, 01:01 PM
I havent been able to get hold of deeky on the group board for our division G match and i havent seen him on steam.

Skydancer
22-07-2012, 05:10 PM
I asked somanyrobots to hit me up on steam chat when he can on our Div F group, I am online 24h and he still didn't send anything :(

Heliocentric
22-07-2012, 05:17 PM
I am online 24h and he still didn't send anything :(

GO TO BED

All things should be done in moderation, except fouling which should be done obsessively or not at all.

somanyrobots
22-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Skydancer and I met up for our game this morning. (Apologies for the delay, Skydancer; my girlfriend's birthday party was yesterday, and the time-zone difference means my BB windows are small).

The Khemri won the toss. The kick bounced over the sideline, giving them an excellent setup (starting the ball on their ST4 Thro-Ra). The match immmediately devolved into a slugfest in center field; the Khemri cage effectively pinned down by the necros' flesh golems, but the necros finding severe difficulty punching their way in. One necro zombie went down with a MNG; both flesh golems suffered stuns. The cage made inching progress downfield, but it was not enough. The Bareboners still hadn't managed to crack the line of scrimmage by turn 7; with the fastest player at MV6, that wasn't enough. The Lycanthropes held the line, and the first half ended scoreless.

The necros received to start the second half, with a werewolf catching the ball on a Quick Snap. They attempted to move the ball up the side, but rapidly ran into a wall of tomb guardians. My defensive line got shredded, the ball knocked loose, and then chaos. The Khemri managed to get the ball, sending a thro-ra bolting for the end zone. With most of the necros on the ground, and all of them out of position, it was dicey. But a ST4 wight (using a RR) dodged away, knocked the man down, and recovered the ball. At this point, the half just fell apart. A KO'd zombie, a crowd-pushed wight, then a ghoul disastrously failing a dodge and getting a MNG. By turn 14, the necros were down to 7 players, struggling just to keep the ball away from the Khemri and out of TD range. I managed to get a WW running the ball around in desperation; but Skydancer's wizard put an end to that, KO'ing him with a lightning bolt. BUT. I had exhausted all of Skydancer's rerolls by this point, and still had three myself. With the ball down next to both my flesh golems, they kept it safe while a ghoul made a series of dodges (combined with surviving a block that should've ended him) to the ball. One werewolf was downfield to receive; marked up by a thro-ra, but otherwise free. The ghoul dodged free, got the ball, ran in range, made two GFIs, made the hand-off (which took a RR on the catch), at which point the WW dodged free and ran for the endzone. Turn 15, 1-0 Lycanthropes. The last two turns were pointless punching. Except for the werewolf who died dodging from a Tomb Guardian. Poor Skokurg, you will be missed.

An EXCELLENT match, the most nailbiting I've had. Full of drama, desperate moments, and solid play. Very pleased to have eked out the win, given how badly my poor necros were abused. But a ton of fun, and Skydancer was a delightful opponent. Best of luck to Prester John, enjoy those Tomb Guardians. And wink5000, you owe Skydancer some thanks for the mauling he gave my team.

laneford
22-07-2012, 10:12 PM

I am scheduled to play Mr Dragon Monday night all being well.

Skydancer
22-07-2012, 10:55 PM
GO TO BED

All things should be done in moderation, except fouling which should be done obsessively or not at all.

My phone is online 24/7 on fb/msn/gtalk/astra/steam. I do have quite a lot of sleep, thank you!

Thanks to somanywobots for the match and the report. I really hoped I could at least force a 0-0!!

Heliocentric
22-07-2012, 11:49 PM
My phone is online 24/7 on fb/msn/gtalk/astra/steam. I do have quite a lot of sleep, thank you!

I was joking, but yeah :)

cyberpunkdreams
23-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I think Xenny and DW Zippy are going to need an extension on their Div J (?) match.

cyberpunkdreams
23-07-2012, 03:50 PM
The ghoul dodged free, got the ball, ran in range, made two GFIs, made the hand-off (which took a RR on the catch), at which point the WW dodged free and ran for the endzone. Turn 15, 1-0 Lycanthropes.

Sounds like a great match! Just off the top of my head though (not run the numbers and don't know the AG of a ghoul), wouldn't it have been safer to do a quick pass than two GFIs?

ChainsawHands
23-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Ghouls are AG3, so that's a 3+ pass (1/3 or 12/36 chance of failure) vs two GFIs at 1/6 chance of failure each is an 11/36 chance of failure, so the GFIs are slightly better.

cyberpunkdreams
23-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Ghouls are AG3, so that's a 3+ pass (1/3 or 12/36 chance of failure) vs two GFIs at 1/6 chance of failure each is an 11/36 chance of failure, so the GFIs are slightly better.

Interesting... and with a TRR, I guess the GFIs would still have been preferable. It's always so tempting just to assume that one roll is better than two, even though that's often not the case!

ChainsawHands
23-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I couldn't quite bring myself to work out the odds for the GFIs with a TRR, but my sources (http://elyoukey2.phpnet.org/sac/) tell me it's 92.593% for the GFIs vs 88.889% for the pass, so still better.

Although if you've got AG4 / accurate / some other +1 bonus to your pass roll it would be better to do the quick pass rather than take the GFIs, as it'd be a 2+ pass roll vs 2 2+ GFIs, which I'll need to remember for my elfs.

Heliocentric
23-07-2012, 05:09 PM
I think Xenny and DW Zippy are going to need an extension on their Div J (?) match.

Yeah, it's J.

As a member of J I support this extention.

potatoedoughnut
23-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Any admins around? Grinn and I were attempting to play our game and we got cyanided around turn 6.

Today is the only day we can manage (within the next 2 hours or so), otherwise we'll have to take a default.

I felt pretty good about my position (3 KOs, 1 injury, 1 surf off field, and ghoul clear to stall/score with no negatives in return), but it was early in the game. I'll leave it up to Grinn/admins in case this needs to be defaulted.

grinn
23-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Save us oh gracious ones... save us

potatoedoughnut
23-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Ok I need to get back to work. It looks like Thursday is a "maybe" for both Grinn and I to play, if we can get an extension till then. I'll probably know Wednesday night if I can play or if not.

grinn
23-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Would be great to aim for thursday. A default would seem fairer as a draw. I kicked to potato so had a good chance to get my KOd back and a whole half to get the draw even if he stalled till his turn 8.

ChainsawHands
23-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Match reset.

President Weasel
23-07-2012, 07:04 PM
OK, wait, never mind, we have a plan - but it will require an admin to move the Champs division on sometime between 18.30 on Friday, when Grinn and Potatoe's game ends, and 0900 on Friday, when my and Grinn's game starts.

grinn
23-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Hold on, this is a major problem for me. I am away from Friday morning right through until Sunday evening a week later - I was planning to get my Champs game in on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

If we can get an extension to the 5th to account for this extension, and Grinn can play that evening, then I am OK with you stealing the only three days I could play this round due to your inability to schedule a match before the very last minute, grumble mutter shaky fisty.

We did schedule the match! We got disconnected. Cross Atlantic matches are kinda tricky to schedule.
I m moving country on the 5th.

On the other hand if potato can get a game in Thursday the time we played today I could play at night against Prez.

grinn
23-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Ok we re playing fridayt morning. all sorted.

Prester John
23-07-2012, 07:29 PM
DIV F

Me and Wink5000 have been unable to play due to the schedule mixup and me being away this weekend. We can play on Wednesday so we'd like to respectfully grovel, sacrifice small mammals and engage in lustful orgies in order to obtain an extension until Wednesday. Please.

wink5000
23-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Prester John and I (Div F) agreed to play our match on Wednesday if its possible to get an extension for it.

Edit. PJ already promised all the things we will sacrifice to get it :)

Jarvis
23-07-2012, 08:41 PM
I was enjoying a nice game with Mr Alistair when CYANIDE.

I've been offered a league win on the proviso that we set the in game score to 1-1 which I've accepted and Ntw's done.

Alistair Hutton
23-07-2012, 10:57 PM
And it's a shame because the first half was rocking, an absolute riot of Blood Bowl, really enlivened by a Quadruple Skull by Jarvis. And then I got a pure Elf Ball equaliser. And then Jarvis was surprised by the speed of my Man, who fell over.

And then Jarvis was about to score a second when my game crashed.

Dog Pants
23-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Div A: Anupshi Rises (KHE, Dog Pants) 0 - 2 Agathis Avengers (WELF, AgP)

The teams took to the field today in a rematch of a Div F game from several seasons back. The Khemri won that day, but a lot of time has passed. Both teams have suffered injuries and gained in experience. Anupshi Rises wins the toss and decides to receive, deciding it better to control the ball for as long as possible. Control not being the greatest Khemri strength, the rookie Thro-Ra immediately fumbles on pickup and allows the Wood Elves to stream through the line like Bugman's ale through a skeleton's ribcage. By the time the ball is taken of by the offence, they are defending in their own half and the temporary ball carrier is brought down by the opposition Wardancer. With the ratio of Khemri to Elves around 1:1 there could be only one result, and Agathis Avengers sweep the ball from under the long decayed noses of the disarrayed back line to score mere minutes into the game.
As the game restarts the Khemri have better luck, caging up quickly, while Nuffle's attention fully focusses on the Wood Elves. A mis-timed blow by the Tree Man leaves him injuring himself on the hardest part of the Skeleton scrimmage sandwich filler - his head. With the line now left wide open by the loss of the Big Guy, the offence exploit the gap and pile up the centre. Elves rush to fill the breach in Henry V style, with their dead, as another skeleton kills their mercenary lineman. As the Khemri approach the Avenger's touchline and the clock approaches half time a defender manages to crack the cage and knock the ball loose. After a little squabble the Elves take control and shuttle the ball back down field with the velocity and style Wood Elves are famous for. The ball carrier catches and turns in what looks almost certain to be a second touchdown, only to be smashed into the ground by a flying Tomb Guardian. As the whistle blows the coaches untangle the dazed players.

The Avengers line up two men down for the second half and make an early blitz into the left and centre field. This is rewarded with a studiously prepared chain block which leaves their only Wardancer buried in the crowd. Nevertheless, the Wood Elves perform a perfect demonstration of Elf-ball, with a pass and run play starting from where the ball landed at kick off and ending just behind the Anupshi goal line for a very quick second half touchdown.
Despite the likelihood of a Khemri team scoring twice in the remaining time, Anupshi Rises pile down their left sideline in an attempt to claw back a score of their own. They rumble down the edge of the pitch like a steamroller and by the time the Elven defences break its momentum the carrying Thro-Ra is within breaking distance of the line, and break he does. As he approaches, and with any nearby defenders marked, a touchdown is looking possible. Until a lightning bolt streaks out of the crowd and sends him sprawling onto the line sans ball. A loose ball is, as always, the domain of the Elves, and a lineman picks it up for a long pass to a goal-hanging colleague. However, the unlikely dramatics of the half aren't over yet despite the ref raising his whistle. Not to be outdone by a wizard, a fighting Tomb Guardian plucks the ball from the air in yet another outrageous TG interception. Feeling elf-like after his achievement, the ancient corpse reels back and launches the ball right back again. Alas, and inevitably, the ball misses its mark, but heartened by the ball actually getting airborne the Tomb Guardian leaves the pitch at full time with visions of of a past career where he too might have played for an elven team. Even mummified killers can dream.

somanyrobots
24-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Sounds like a great match! Just off the top of my head though (not run the numbers and don't know the AG of a ghoul), wouldn't it have been safer to do a quick pass than two GFIs?

I didn't actually stop to compute the probabilities, just went with my gut. The other complicating factor was that the werewolf I was handing off to was marked up (by a blitz-ra, I think, or maybe a thro-ra), and I didn't want to give Skydancer the chance to intercept. I generally tend to be kind of aggressive about GFIs and pretty conservative about passing, since my team doesn't have any Pass or Catch anywhere.

laneford
24-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Myself and dragon played out a rain soaked, somewhat undeserved 1-0 win for my Nurgles, who had the chastening experience of being beaten up for the first time in a fair while, but still managed to squeak through in the end, to end the 2nd week in div 1.

If an admin could validate and move the league on that'd be great as I'm away for a week, on Friday. Cheers!

Gorm
24-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Just played Deekyfun's High Elves in a game that came right down to turn 16. Both teams had some great luck and some terrible luck during the course of the game and it was good fun. But sadly the Elves managed to best my Skaven in the race to score and won 3-2.

X_kot
24-07-2012, 01:08 AM
Not to be outdone by a wizard, a fighting Tomb Guardian plucks the ball from the air in yet another outrageous TG interception. Feeling elf-like after his achievement, the ancient corpse reels back and launches the ball right back again. Alas, and inevitably, the ball misses its mark, but heartened by the ball actually getting airborne the Tomb Guardian leaves the pitch at full time with visions of of a past career where he too might have played for an elven team. Even mummified killers can dream.

Such a touching moment...truly, 'tis a noble sport.

Heliocentric
24-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Such a touching moment...truly, 'tis a noble sport.

to be fair, as long as its only a medium throw anything can reliably "inaccurate pass" a medium throw on a 2+, sitting a cage at the target destination isn't so unreasonable. ^_^

Kajo
24-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Me and ntw can't seem to catch each other on steam... and i won't be able to play in these days :/

Dog Pants
24-07-2012, 01:59 PM
to be fair, as long as its only a medium throw anything can reliably "inaccurate pass" a medium throw on a 2+, sitting a cage at the target destination isn't so unreasonable. ^_^

For shame, you made poor No-Kheks cry. He was so proud of his achievement.

Heliocentric
24-07-2012, 02:00 PM
For shame, you made poor No-Kheks cry. He was so proud of his achievement.

Sorry, but tell him to get some pants on eh?

Everblue
24-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Sorry - just to clarify - am I able to arrange a game for this evening? Have divisions been moved on as yet?

If so - DWStalker - up for a game tonight? The wife is going out...

groovychainsaw
24-07-2012, 02:58 PM
I moved what I could on last night, but there were a lot of games outstanding, so I left the other divisions on day 2. I'm out tonight, so may have to appeal to one of the other admins if your division needs to be moved on (Admins, check the groups and in here to figure out any defaults, as usual). I WILL be defaulting games that haven't asked for an extension in here tomorrow night, you have been warned!

Everblue
24-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks GC - Since I think Div J was waiting for DWS and Xenny to play, I guess that means I'll wait until tomorrow.

Jiiiiim
24-07-2012, 05:09 PM
I think the game just updated on steam but of course there are no notes >_>

Everblue
24-07-2012, 05:54 PM
"Patch Notes - We buggered around with the code again. It won't work for a bit."

Dentharial
24-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Rhyming will be forthcoming tomorrow, but in the interests of letting the admins move Div G forward, Cacamas and I just played our game to a very close 1-1 draw.

Cacamas
24-07-2012, 09:00 PM
The Top Brass 1 - 1 Da Blu Moonz

Bulletpoint summary:

* Very tight, fun game.
* Stats reflect this, nothing much to choose between the two sides.

* Elves score in the fourth turn with standard elfy play
* Much defending ensues and elves hold orcs scoreless for rest of half.
* Highlight: black orc has 2d block against lone thrower, which would open the defence wide open. Thrower gives him the smack down, KO-ing in the process.

* 2nd half much the same as the first, Orcs grind, elves defend manfully, nearly nicking the ball at one point.
* When Bugz Strike! 2nd-last turn, thrower attempts hand-off to guy in TD zone for the equaliser, fails but picks up scattering ball. Is there a turnover? Hells no! Sportingly, Dentharial ends the turn there and then.
* Lowlight: my attempt at a 2d block on exposed thrower fails miserably and he slips away for the equaliser on the final turn

Heliocentric
24-07-2012, 09:09 PM
fails but picks up scattering ball. Is there a turnover? Hells no! Sporting, and Dentharial ends the turn there and then.

Is this a bug? I don't get it. It's not like catching a scatter pass then?

The Brain
24-07-2012, 09:15 PM
I've had that happen too in single player. If you didn't lose the ball then I don't think it's a turn over. I guess it depends if you roll for the scatter before ending the turn.

President Weasel
24-07-2012, 09:20 PM
If you don't lose the ball it's not a turnover, and that includes bouncing a pass into your own hands.

20phoenix
24-07-2012, 09:27 PM
A hand-off is by, definition, a catch as the fact that catch rerolls work for them testifies. Any catch that scatters into friendly hands doesn't turnover. So the lack of turnover is legit

El Cubo
24-07-2012, 09:43 PM
A hand-off is by, definition, a catch as the fact that catch rerolls work for them testifies. Any catch that scatters into friendly hands doesn't turnover. So the lack of turnover is legit

Oh, that's right. I think I've played that bit wrong in my matches. A similar situation where a turnover IS caused, however, is when a pass is fumbled but then caught by a member of your own team.

Heliocentric
24-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Oh, that's right. I think I've played that bit wrong in my matches. A similar situation where a turnover IS caused, however, is when a pass is fumbled but then caught by a member of your own team.

I think if a ball and chain "fails" to catch the ball, and it goes on to be caught that is still a turnover?

Edit: To clarify, I'm talking about when a ball and chain moves into the ball, not when they knock it free and it lands on them.

El Cubo
24-07-2012, 10:42 PM
I think if a ball and chain "fails" to catch the ball, and it goes on to be caught that is still a turnover?

Edit: To clarify, I'm talking about when a ball and chain moves into the ball, not when they knock it free and it lands on them.

Yes, the skill description is pretty clear on that. Also, a failed pick up causes a turnover every time, even if it's caught.

No Hands

The player is unable to pick up, intercept or carry the ball and will fail any catch roll automatically, either because he literally has no hands or because his hands are full. If he attempts to pick up the ball then it will bounce, and will causes a turnover if it is his team’s turn.

chadsexington
24-07-2012, 11:43 PM

I can confirm that the ball and chain moving into the ball causes a turnover regardless of where it ends up

cyberpunkdreams
25-07-2012, 12:39 AM
I can confirm that the ball and chain moving into the ball causes a turnover regardless of where it ends up

I'm not usually one to complain about the rules, but it seems unfair to me. It's not like you're actually trying to pick up the ball. Granted, you can "abuse" that ability to knock the ball out of a contentious area, but what's wrong with that? It's not like ball-popping is a particularly fail safe manoeuvre in the first place.

Screwie
25-07-2012, 08:04 AM

If a pass is made to a No Hands player I'm pretty sure its just like passing to an empty square - like any player missing their TZ (ie. HypoGazed or Boneheaded) - no catch roll is even made. It will only cause a turnover if an allied player doesn't grab it on the bounce/diving catch.

A No Hands player attempting a pick-up though is just like any failed pick-up - it causes a Turnover no matter who ends up holding the ball.

This latter bit is easily avoided with a Deathroller but that's the Ball and Chain players aren't so lucky. It sucks but you just have to avoid the loose ball like you avoid your own trolls.

If you want to push the ball around you'll have to do it by winning a block, just like any other player. That's the key difference - using the block dice and the chance of failure that involves. The Fanatic at least can quite securely push his own Stunty team mates around if you want to "abuse" ball pushing (never EVER give your Fanatic Tackle).

grinn
25-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I moved what I could on last night, but there were a lot of games outstanding, so I left the other divisions on day 2. I'm out tonight, so may have to appeal to one of the other admins if your division needs to be moved on (Admins, check the groups and in here to figure out any defaults, as usual). I WILL be defaulting games that haven't asked for an extension in here tomorrow night, you have been warned!

So the champs didn't get the extension till Thursday for my game against potatodonut?

El Cubo
25-07-2012, 12:54 PM
(never EVER give your Fanatic Tackle).

You should be able to choose whether you use tackle or not. Cyanide might have a say in that, though.

Screwie
25-07-2012, 01:07 PM
While technically true, I am prone to forget. :P I don't remember my (Stunty league) Fanatic has Block most of the time!

NieA7
25-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Cyanide doesn't let you set Tackle as one of the ask me skills in the main configuration, I don't know if the in game skills thingum would but I doubt it. Makes frenzy crowd surfing difficult :\

Heliocentric
25-07-2012, 01:13 PM
While technically true, I am prone to forget. :P I don't remember my (Stunty league) Fanatic has Block most of the time!

Sure feet ftw :P

20phoenix
25-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Cyanide doesn't let you set Tackle as one of the ask me skills in the main configuration, I don't know if the in game skills thingum would but I doubt it. Makes frenzy crowd surfing difficult :\

I'm sure i've read somewhere that you can turn it off as part of a move by clicking on the players skills in the bottom right and deactivating it. Never tried it and this is 2nd or 3rd hand info though.

Dissident
25-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Hi all.

Fresh blood here.
Just got the game from the dreadful steam summer sale. Been playing a bit against AI and now I want to start stomping some anonymous human skulls.

So... Is there room for me to join in?

Also, if you'd like the stomping to be a little less anonymous, I'll be at the RPS social on Saturday as usual. ;)
(look for the portuguese guy with the unpronounceable name)

Cheers.

Jiiiiim
25-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Hello Dissident, I see you've already added yourself to the spreadsheet. The new season will be starting in about ten days or so - I'd try and make sure you have the right ports opened and have a challenge league game with somebody to make sure it's all working.

Wolfenswan
25-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Hey dissident, you can hit me up on steam if you want to play a game in the challenge league. Same name as here. I can offer either Chaos or WElf as opponents.

I noticed you choose Skaven for the DoD which would be overfilled by two slots in the next season. So you (and INinja) have to pick another race, unless two currently running Skaven teams retire. See the "Race Balance" Sheet on the DoD table for open races.

The Brain
25-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Has anyone figured out what the patch changed yet? Hopefully a reduction in disconnects.

Screwie
25-07-2012, 05:38 PM
I had a look but can't find any patch related info on the (English side of) the official forums as of yet.

Zoraster
25-07-2012, 05:47 PM
That would be because there hasn't been a patch :)

Dissident
25-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiim and Wolfenswan.
I didn't realise that there was race balancing, that's cool. I'll choose a new race in the next couple of days then.
My rat ogre won't be happy though. I hope the shop is stocked on cheese.

I might try to play an online match this evening.

cyberpunkdreams
25-07-2012, 06:15 PM
That would be because there hasn't been a patch :)

Well, Steam downloaded 20mb of something for BB ;). I may have been something for compatibility with the Chaos Edition or something.

Zoraster
25-07-2012, 06:21 PM
This is Cyanide we are talking about so my money is on the DB patch :)

EDIT: When I posted that it wasn't really a serious thought but I just looked at the DB forum and they've just announced a patch so... :D

Everblue
25-07-2012, 06:39 PM
The speculation over at the OCC website (another online BB league) is that it's a steam update rather than a Cyanide update - something to do with the way that data is compressed to enable developers to put out patches.

Edit - One of the guys who said that is the developer Fatshark (who just produced the Krater game) so he may know what he's talking about.

Prester John
25-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Div F

Wink5000 vs Prester John

0-2 to Presters Woodelves. Close fought game where the superior skills of the Beauty and the Beast shone through. The lizards need some block !

Thanks for the game!

groovychainsaw
25-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Ok, all games have been played, all divisions moved on, one or two defaults in there where i didn't see anything in the groups (remember to post *something* in there to get my attention, or in here if you've got an excuse!!). We're finally all on day 3. Season ends 02 Aug...

MadDave123
25-07-2012, 09:54 PM
One of my Nurgle Warriors hit level 3 and I rolled 10. I have a choice between +1 MV, +1 AV, or normal skills. He already has block.

Movement seems useful, as standard MV4 can be quite limiting on the old lummox. I'm not so sure about armour though, is there much benefit to AV10 over AV9, or is it already high enough to fend off most attacks?

Any thoughts chaps?

grinn
25-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Hey Dave, I would go for a normal skill. You need all the str skills you can get on the bugger and a move or av boost is not gonna help you do what the warrior was born to do: bash skulls in with a stinky gauntlet. Remember that taking up the second slot with something like mv or av is going to slow down the eventual progression. If you take mb on him he ll level faster and if you take guard he ll be a pain in the arse sooner. Depends on what other skills you have already...

Heliocentric
25-07-2012, 10:05 PM
One of my Nurgle Warriors hit level 3 and I rolled 10. I have a choice between +1 MV, +1 AV, or normal skills. He already has block.

Movement seems useful, as standard MV4 can be quite limiting on the old lummox. I'm not so sure about armour though, is there much benefit to AV10 over AV9, or is it already high enough to fend off most attacks?

Any thoughts chaps?

What skills does he have? AV10 on a jump up Nurgle Warrior is a legitimate 'badassitude'.

To break armour on a block you need to roll 1 more than the armour value on 2D6, breaking 9 thus takes 10,11 or 12

There are 6 die combinations out of 36 for that, but breaking 10 takes 11 or 12, there are only 3 combinations out of 36 of that. AV 10 is twice as hard as AV9 to break, mighty blow makes it "less than half" the difference chancing the values to 10 and 6 combinations out of 36 respectively.

HOWEVER: CLAWS, claws makes everyone AV7. Norse, Necromantic, Nurgle Chaos, Skaven can have claws on their team. Claws and mighty blow makes everyone AV6. Additionally foul assists, but TBH armour helps vs fouls, It'd take 7 assists to get AV down to 4+ on 2D6, that's still risky with a 1/12 failure to break without dirty player.

+MV always helps, but if it is a double, I honestly think a skill like Dodge, jumpup or diving tackle would be better than +MV

potatoedoughnut
25-07-2012, 10:15 PM
With AG2 jump up isn't as good (need a 3+ instead of 2+) and requires a double.

I'd take MB or guard over AV or MV. I don't think I ever have or ever would take +AV.

MadDave123
25-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. The guy is a bog standard Warrior with block as the only non-starting skill I've given him. The 10 was a 6+4, so no doubles there.

Good point about the claws, plus my warriors rarely suffer much with their current armour values so maybe I'll leave the +AV. Movement might help the warrior keep up with a faster moving pestigor cage, but that's about all I can see myself using it for.

More bashy is pretty much the path I should be heading down I guess. So looks like I'll go for MB or guard. I could definitely use some more guard on my team.

Hmmms

laneford
25-07-2012, 11:02 PM
I'd hate to pass up a double but there isn't that much that sticks out. The only one that really works is dodge if you are worried about him getting hit. Likewise side step for manoeuvring him around cages, making him harder to knock away (also works well if you get him guard later)

If you want to bash, for my warriors I went with MB, then claw, as you're more effective against everyone that way, not just high av targets.

Gorm
25-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Oh i rolled an Ag up on an unskilled linerat, it would make him ag 4. Should i take it? Its not a doubles roll.

X_kot
25-07-2012, 11:17 PM
That's a lot of TV to give to a fodder piece. If you have max GRs and a competent thrower, do you really need another AG4? Now, if it were a Stormvermin...

Everblue
26-07-2012, 12:20 AM
If you want to bash, for my warriors I went with MB, then claw, as you're more effective against everyone that way, not just high av targets.

I read somewhere that mighty blow is statistically better than claw against almost all AVs. Piling on is better than both at getting players off the pitch, but there's all the falling over that this entails.

laneford
26-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Yeah it's better than claw. But why have just one?

Sollitus
26-07-2012, 06:05 AM
Hey im looking to get into the league. Any spots open?

Jiiiiim
26-07-2012, 08:09 AM
There probably will be yes. Finish off your bit on the spreadsheet - the new season'll start in about ten days.

X_kot
26-07-2012, 08:17 AM
The Knuckle Heads (Ogr, X_kot) 0 - 2 Rock Paper Supper (Hal, Zoraster)

The game was a bloody one, with no KOs, seven injuries, and one death. Three ogres were felled by zealous plant life, one of whom suffered a detrimental gash to his left ankle (the doc offered to replace the defective joint with the right foot, but he failed to understand why this was not helpful). The Supper crew ran a strong offense, taking advantage of the Knucklers' inability to hit anything successfully in the first half. A deft running game provided the halflings with a 1 - 0 lead going into the second half; the only gloomy note was the unfortunate passing of hired star player Zara the Slayer, whose skull was caved in by a pack of snotlings.

The second half saw the Knucklers pull back from the scrimmage line in an attempt to draw the halflings in. Progress was tentative, and a blitz on the ball carrier almost saw the end of the ogres' hopes. However, defying the odds, a successful pick up, hand off, and throw maneuver (a play dubbed "The Green Dream") saw a hopeful snot a mere dash from the end zone. However, the canny Suppers responded in kind, and a blitz ended any chances of equalizing the score. One final TTM in the closing minutes secured RPS a solid 2 - 0 win.

Zoraster was a charm to play against, even as he dismantled my team. A good game that could have ended any number of ways. Sadly, I must hang up my manager's jacket after this season due to time constraints, but this was a fine way to go. I'll be watching the division from the sidelines, though, so keep those entertaining game reports coming!

Alistair Hutton
26-07-2012, 08:21 AM
GUARD!

All day, every day/

Zoraster
26-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Oh i rolled an Ag up on an unskilled linerat, it would make him ag 4. Should i take it? Its not a doubles roll.

Donít hesitate; take it. An AG4 linerat becomes a great asset with another skill or two, anything but fodder. Great protection for your Gunners too during those games when you get snowballed. Gives you the option of controlling the opposition blitz when you lack the numbers to partition. I took it very early (think first season, maybe second) during Rats of Westminsterís blitz through the DoD and it was probably my pivotal player bar the ball hawk Gunner.

Jiiiiim
26-07-2012, 08:42 AM
I did have this skaven team (http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=618466) on fumbbl who did constantly roll +Ag, but in doing so marked each such player as CURSED and they got a -stat soon after.

So I guess what I'm saying is: don't get cursed

ntw
26-07-2012, 10:54 AM
The Knuckle Heads (Ogr, X_kot) 0 - 2 Rock Paper Supper (Hal, Zoraster)

The game was a bloody one, with no KOs, seven injuries, and one death. Three ogres were felled by zealous plant life, one of whom suffered a detrimental gash to his left ankle (the doc offered to replace the defective joint with the right foot, but he failed to understand why this was not helpful). The Supper crew ran a strong offense, taking advantage of the Knucklers' inability to hit anything successfully in the first half. A deft running game provided the halflings with a 1 - 0 lead going into the second half; the only gloomy note was the unfortunate passing of hired star player Zara the Slayer, whose skull was caved in by a pack of snotlings.

The second half saw the Knucklers pull back from the scrimmage line in an attempt to draw the halflings in. Progress was tentative, and a blitz on the ball carrier almost saw the end of the ogres' hopes. However, defying the odds, a successful pick up, hand off, and throw maneuver (a play dubbed "The Green Dream") saw a hopeful snot a mere dash from the end zone. However, the canny Suppers responded in kind, and a blitz ended any chances of equalizing the score. One final TTM in the closing minutes secured RPS a solid 2 - 0 win.

Zoraster was a charm to play against, even as he dismantled my team. A good game that could have ended any number of ways. Sadly, I must hang up my manager's jacket after this season due to time constraints, but this was a fine way to go. I'll be watching the division from the sidelines, though, so keep those entertaining game reports coming!

Leaving forevers? Or just a short break? I only ask because if you'll only be away for a while then we can try to put your team into limbo for a while...

The Brain
26-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Oh mighty admins. We seem to be having a bit of bother with div E. The results for day 2 have been validated but it hasn't moved on to day 3. Not sure if this is something an admin can sort out or if it is a bug. When we go to 'play' we still see the previous days results. If someone could have a look that would be great.

groovychainsaw
26-07-2012, 04:23 PM
It's probably fixable - I just need to be at a machine that has blood bowl on it, which isn't likely until later tonight (I suspect I validated the game, but didn't roll the day on.... cyanide doesn't show you always when you have or haven't so its kinda hard to remember what you've done - basically, I'm blaming cyanide again for this one :-D)

The Brain
26-07-2012, 04:36 PM
basically, I'm blaming cyanide again for this one :-D)

I don't think anyone will argue with you about that. Thanks for the quick response.

ntw
26-07-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't think anyone will argue with you about that. Thanks for the quick response.

Day rolled on. Cyanide :S

President Weasel
27-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Hearken unto me, and hear my tale of GRINN'S COMPLETE AND UTTER FLUKEY BULLSHIT.

It is turn 15 and I am 1-0 up. I finally got the ball out of Grinn's cage and my beastman is making his way up the pitch with the ball tucked under his arm. There is one turn to go and it's looking good for The Red Skull Reavers to stay in the Champs next season.
He's about three squares from Grinn's endzone when he makes an ill-advised go for it, slips, and spills the ball.

Now it is turn 16. Grinn has no rerolls but it is still just possible for him to score and tie the match. Grinn has no rerolls, but still manages to scoop up the ball. Grinn has no rerolls, but he still manages to pass it half the length of the pitch.
Grinn has no rerolls but his thrower still manages to catch it. He goes to hand off to the blitzer.
Grinn has no rerolls and the blitzer has dropped the ball!. I've won!
I've won, I've won, I've WHAT FRESH BULLSHIT IS THIS?
The ball has scattered into the square occupied by a downed beastman, scattered back into the blitzer's hands, and the blitzer has picked it up.
WHAT.
THE.
FUCK.
JUST.
HAPPENED?
And so Grinn gets to continue his turn despite dropping the damn ball, and of course he makes the two go for its with no reroll, and ties the game and relegates me due to the single biggest most ricockulous piece of flukery I have ever seen.

grinn
27-07-2012, 12:50 AM
...still doing my little dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC3tRUBILBo

PS 1: Beastman's ill-advised go for it comes after two dodges (-1, 0) on agility 4 and was COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY.
PS 2: The lino that did the pass was ag 5 (ok it was a long-bomb)
PS 3: Said lino dodged into a stalling cage last game against prez's nasty chaos-mans and surfed the ball carrier to avoid a draw.
PS 4: Thrower that caught the long-bomb and did the hand-off was ag 4.
PS 5: This booty is still undulating to jubilant samoan drums.

Hearken unto me, and hear my tale of GRINN'S COMPLETE AND UTTER FLUKEY BULLSHIT.

It is turn 15 and I am 1-0 up. I finally got the ball out of Grinn's cage and my beastman is making his way up the pitch with the ball tucked under his arm. There is one turn to go and it's looking good for The Red Skull Reavers to stay in the Champs next season.
He's about three squares from Grinn's endzone when he makes an ill-advised go for it, slips, and spills the ball.

Now it is turn 16. Grinn has no rerolls but it is still just possible for him to score and tie the match. Grinn has no rerolls, but still manages to scoop up the ball. Grinn has no rerolls, but he still manages to pass it half the length of the pitch.
Grinn has no rerolls but his thrower still manages to catch it. He goes to hand off to the blitzer.
The ball has scattered into the square occupied by a downed beastman, scattered back into the blitzer's hands, and the blitzer has picked it up.
WHAT.
THE.
FUCK.
JUST.
HAPPENED?
And so Grinn gets to continue his turn despite dropping the damn ball, and of course he makes the two go for its with no reroll, and ties the game and relegates me due to the single biggest most ricockulous piece of flukery I have ever seen.

President Weasel
27-07-2012, 12:56 AM
You sicken me.

Heliocentric
27-07-2012, 01:00 AM
That's epic, the handoff did a world tour before coming back home. So bloodbowl.

laneford
27-07-2012, 01:45 AM
Just to let you all know, I'm away in THE FROZEN NORTH OF SKYRIM (scotland) until Friday, in terms of applying the next season etc. (I've played all my games this season)

Hope that's not an issue. Good luck in your final matches everyone.

Also, grinn:

Good lad.

potatoedoughnut
27-07-2012, 02:31 AM
You sicken me.

Grinn did pretty much the same thing to me in our game. Twice.

Now the only way I can stay up is to beat Jiiiiim, which I've been failing to do for about 4 or 5 seasons in a row now.

At least Grinn will have to face Jiiiiim's lizards again next season instead of me :)

edit: Nevermind, I can't stay up this season, I'm guaranteed relegation too.

Dissident
27-07-2012, 10:21 AM
After I took a brief look at the race balance table, I realised that the Amazons could be feeling a bit left out.
So, as a true blood bowl gentleman, I fed my wannabe Skaven team to the Orcs and decided to embrace the luscious, lonely Amazon tribe.

Meet: The Bulging Vixens!

See you on the battle-field... battle-pitch... battle-...?

Everblue
27-07-2012, 10:39 AM
WHAT.
THE.
FUCK.
JUST.
HAPPENED?

Everyone knows that million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten.

Macavity
28-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Just a quicky - I've noticed all the other new teams in the google docs spreadsheet are showing as division n#, while my entry isn't showing anything by division. Have I missed doing somethng I need to do?

Cheers

Macavity
28-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Never mind - just answered my own question by reading the legend. Should I put in N4 behind the people who added after me then?

Dog Pants
28-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Div A: Anupshi Rises (KHE, Dog Pants) 1 - 1 The Dead Comic Society (KHE, JayTee)

The penultimate fixture for Div A was a Khemri Vs Khemri slugfest, with the home team reeling from straight defeats all season, and the visitors on the cusp of promotion. The Comics received from kick-off and pushed a steady grinding cage down their left field, once the ball was picked up. A textbook Khemri play, the cage opened for the carrying Thro-Ra to spring out halfway into the defenders' half and a lone Anupshi skeleton in deep field wasn't enough to keep him from the line. The Dead Comic Society goes 1-0 up with only a quarter of the half remaining.
Aware of the need for a victory to hope to avoid relegation, Anupshi Rises quickly recover the ball from kick off and bolt a Blitz-Ra and Tomb Guardian through the defences. As the seconds tick away and with no hope of a running goal, the ball is shuttled up the pitch in Elf style, ending in an accurate pass to the goal-hanging Blitz-Ra. It wasn't to be, though, as in an even more unlikely event than the pass actually being caught, a Comic lineman found himself intercepting. Suddenly, and unfamiliarly, in possession of the ball, the Skeleton disappeared under a tangle of different coloured Khemri as the half time whistle was blown.

The second half starts with a cautious approach by Anupshi Rises, hanging around the back with the ball while the Comics pounded on the front lines. A gap opened up on the left field and the Thro-Ra pair edged towards it. As the Comics back players moved to plug the gap the Thro-Ras made a long running hand-off between them, slipping diagonally through a gap in the centre left by the Anupshi right flank falling back, and racing into the opposing right field. With a Tomb Guardian running interference and the defenders' response scattered the ball carrier looked unopposed, but as the lumbering Guardian collected the reacting Comic linemen a defending Blitz-Ra managed to make an extreme range blitz and pinned the running Thro-Ra to the sideline with only yards to go. By this point the ball carrier's Thro-Ra wingman had caught up to assist, and they pushed the Blitzer aside to run in an equaliser.
The Dead Comics had enough time to recover and score again before the final whistle, and they attacked in earnest down their left flank again. This cage wasn't as tight, and got bogged down just past the half way line. Seeing the chance of a driving touchdown diminishing, the Comic ball carrier crossed over to the sparsely populated right. With several defenders waiting deep for him the Thro-Ra had the decision of holding back in the safe shadow of a friendly Tomb Guardian, or making a desperate dash and risking a certain hit from several linemen and the huge star player Anupshi Rises had drafted in for the game. With promotion already won the safe option was taken, and a quick celebratory pass saw the game end a draw.

Coach Dog Pants approached the Pharaowners with rightful apprehension. They were cranky when promotion wasn't won, but he hadn't experienced their dismay at relegation yet. His fears were quite correct. With no chance of explanation the coach was cast into the team's tomb, sealed in with the injured Tomb Guardian from the first game. Fortunately for him no other coaches were forthcoming in the days he was buried, possibly due to rumours of his demise, and once again Coach Dog Pants was led sandy and blinking back into the sun to fight another season.

X_kot
28-07-2012, 08:54 PM
@Dog Pants, I do so enjoy the little notes about the coach's relationship with the Pharaowners. At least you avoided the Hom-Dai this season!

Dog Pants
28-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks! I'd always assumed nobody ever read past the scoreline :)

Heliocentric
28-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks! I'd always assumed nobody ever read past the scoreline :)

I eagerly read well written match reports, whole hog. Its half the pleasure of playing is the greater context, if all that mattered was the score I would have long since given up playing.

edit btw: My fouling session/match Vs Xenny has been delayed by a mysterious technical issue on xenny's behalf, I suspect nuffle is -ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

cyberpunkdreams
29-07-2012, 02:27 AM
I eagerly read well written match reports, whole hog. Its half the pleasure of playing is the greater context, if all that mattered was the score I would have long since given up playing.

edit btw: My fouling session/match Vs Xenny has been delayed by a mysterious technical issue on xenny's behalf, I suspect nuffle is -ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

I always enjoy reading the match reports; we have some great writers here and it's always interesting and amusing to hear how everyone's teams are evolving.

Also, we think we identified Xenny's problem, and don't think it's really fixable, alas. This means she'll have to play when she's next at mine, as she susally does, and might, therefore, require a small exception.

Kajo
29-07-2012, 10:11 AM

Blood is red
Dentharial is blue
Want to play?
WE CYANIDE YOU!!

somanyrobots
29-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Was really not looking forward to this match; lots of blocks expected, and my team already pretty torn up (with one missing positional and one freshly-replaced) from the last game against Skydancer's Khemri. But it must be played! And my dread really was unwarranted, as (I think) I'd already won the div. But maaaan I hate playing against Lizards.

My Lycanthropes won the toss and opted to receive. They handily picked up the ball and put it in a left-side cage, while awaiting the inevitable bashing that comes from a pack of Saurus. And the bashing did come, with a zombie KO'd in the first turn. Follow that up with my star werewolf KO'd in turn 3 (and my other star WW killed last game, replaced with a green recruit). The lizards were keeping my team completely contained, just wrapping them up in ST4 players, and I was getting no access to those soft, pulpy skinks. It was all I could do to stay in place. Still, a little improvement late in the half; two KO'd skinks, and then a smashed hand on wink's Kroxigor (tragically apo'd to BH). Then a foolish mistake by me, and good luck for wink (a pick-up and two GFIs) gave him a turn 8 touchdown. ARGH. 1-0.

The second half started off with only one of the match's four KO's recovering (my zombie). The kick went deep, with the pick-up failing on the first turn, giving me time to get a werewolf into the lizard backfield. They eventually got a skink on it, and drove down the side of the field; I got a ghoul marking the ball carrier, and all the enemy Saurus tied down; wink opened up a dodge route for the ball carrier to get away, but he failed his second dodge and went down. Of course, I promptly tried to pick up the ball, failed, and gave up my turn. Then my star ghoul by the ball lightning-bolted, wink recovered the ball, and off he was for the endzone again like nothing ever happened. Two GFIs got me a flesh golem to mark him, but wink blitzed him down and ran one in. 2-0. I kicked off again in turn 15, but just farmed for SPPs with a pass completion and some blocking.

Death Vengeance of Doom 2 - 0 Lucky Lycanthropes

Well done wink5000! A very well-played match, and an excellent reminder of why I HATE LIZARDS. But no lasting injuries, and I did get some SPP for my new werewolf thanks to some second-half skink-hitting. Good fun all around, and a very pleasant match.

wink5000
29-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks robots! Difficult match for me without too much Block skill. Luckily Nuffle was merciful enough this time.

Prester John
29-07-2012, 09:06 PM
DIV F
Beauty and the Beast vs Barebone Bareboners

The match started with a prayer to Nuffle from the Bareboners. Nuffle listened and granted them luck. Unfortunately for the Bareboners Coach the team forgot to specify what kind of luck they wanted, and thustly, and rightly, bad luck rained down upon the Bareboners, exemplified perhaps by the block, block, attacker down roll , rereolled to exactly the same dice. For most of the game the Bareboners were outbashed by the Wood Elves and were men down. Still they played gamely and took their luck manfully.

BotB kicked off and stole the ball scoring. BB recieved again but couldn't run it home. Half ends
BotB recieve and score in two turns. BB recieve and drive down to score in the last turn.

Final Result 2-1 to Beauty and the Beast

Thanks for the game Skydancer, good humoured and fun game. Salute.

Skydancer
29-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Hail. May we cross paths again.

darkweeble
29-07-2012, 11:39 PM
I think I may need to miss the next season. I'm going to be away from the 3rd to the 10th, which will likely prevent me from doing the first match. Would it be possible to hold a spot for me in the season after?

Jiiiiim
29-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I reckon you'll be able to fit it in to be honest, the rounds are ten days long and I'm sure an extension could be arranged.

darkweeble
30-07-2012, 01:24 AM
I'd hate to be the ONE GUY holding everything up, but maybe I can swing it if next season doesn't start until the 4th or something.

Zoraster
30-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Season doesn't end until the 2nd so I doubt Groovy will even have the new divisions declared by the 4th. No chance of the season being underway by then at all. Indeed your concern should be getting your application in while you are away. Pres traditionally does this for people although it would be just as easy to use placeholder teams and save people having to swap passwords around.

Screwie
30-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Speaking of, Mr Hutton and myself need an extension until Friday the 3rd if that's ok.

Everblue
30-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Has anyone seen Darkwingstalker/DWZippy recently?

He hasn't replied to any of my messages or posts on the organising thread, and I'm about to be descended on by family who are staying at my house during the Olympics. If I don't hear from him by tomorrow then I won't be able to play the last game.

Jiiiiim
30-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Gather round little children, and have ye a think, how on God's green earth do you stop a skink?

Everything was going right for donut, you see, I'd controlled the match for five turns, whittling him down, having a saurus near the touchline with the ball tucked under his gigantic arms, tried one little skink dodge to give him extra cover aaand...the skink got knocked out. No biggie, I still had 10 v 8 here. Then one saurus was BH by a zombie, and another by a golem, and another skink was KO'd. I scored in a panic, and none of the KO's got up, and all of donut's got up. From 11 v 8 I was now 8 v 11, and he had no real problem in scoring himself before the end of the half, BH-ing another saurus. 1-1, then.

None of my KO's got up again.

Oh dear me. I had a krox, three sauruses and three skinks left, he had a full team and a whole half to stroll in the touchdown at his leisure, unless I could do something absolutely amazing.

Turn 9: He fails the pickup but has it covered. My skinks are way, way back so no chance of stealing it. The remaining sauruses go about their task of fighting an entire horde with a couple of stuns.

Turn 10: He picks up and cages on the left with a ghoul. I blitz away a corner to get into contact, and try and hide my skinks from his horrid wolves. A lucky frenzy niggles his super-ghoul! Yeeeah. Still 7 v 10 though

Turn 11: cage markers go down and donut has no trouble marching that ghoul to the sideline, flanked by wolven bodyguards. I've nobody in range but two skinks. I wonder...gutterskink marks the wolves, and jump-up skink just runs into there and tries a -2 dice block. Push and skullpow means the ghoul is down and the ball is out of bounds, in the middle of my half. COME ON.

Turn 12: All skinks knocked over, wolf picks up and is about three squares from the line, well-covered.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/Jiiiiim/ohgod.jpg

All three skinks get up and lay their Diving Tackle upon him, and hope, I can't get any big lizards back there

Turn 13: He just needs to handoff to the ghoul to score....oh he drops the ball. Oh. OH. Krox MNG's a zombie bringing it down to 7v9, saurus blitzes zombie next to the ball, gutterskink picks up the ball from two tackle zones and pegs it, with a couple of skinks for protection.

Turn 14: That brings out the wizard, who lightning bolts gutterskink, and a wolf knocks down his supporting skink. A couple of undead go around a ghoul who picks it up and is again one turn from scoring now. Alright sod it. KROX BLITZ rolls push and skullpow so the unskilled ghoul is down and stunned again! Nothing covering the ball though.

Turn 15: He just needs to pick up with the wight and score...oh he drops it. AHAHAHA. Kroxy knocks down the covering golem on yet another KROX BLITZ. Gutterskink picks up in a tackle zone, goes for it twice to handoff to Free Parking, who runs for it. Now I'm, somehow, one turn from scoring, and the only guy who can reach the skink is a wolf under the effects of prehensile tail and diving tackle. He'll need a 6+ to dodge away.

Turn 16: He makes that 6+ dodge and flattens the skink. Oh well, he can't score now.

Full time: Magnates 1-1 Clone High

I have no idea how that happened.

Anyway that means the Magnates win the championship again. The question now forming in my mind is: should I keep going? Do you still want to crush those uppity Magnates or is it boring to have one team up there?

JayTee
30-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Good writeup there from Dogpants which means I'm not going to bother too much. I'll still ramble somewhat about that match but not nearly as much as I usually do.

First drive was a nearly textbook Khemri cage run, and despite some good marking by DP I was able to knock enough players free to support the carrier to a quick Blitz and a run in of the TD. With only 2 turns to score DP was left with some fairly desperate measures to get the ball in place, and an unlikely interception by my DP/SG Skeleton left him without the luck he needed. Worth pointing out at this point that I was burning through my re-rolls like they were going out of fashion, with a superb Skull/BD on my first block of the game being the first of many annoying blocks. I also had to burn a number of re-rolls on GFIs, my team seemingly unable to run with any consistency.

Second half was much more of a mixed bag, and a crucial mistake by me took away my chance to Blitz the carrier early on. I Pushed a marking Blitz-Ra into a poor position and consequently was unable to bash a path free to the carrier. I could have just squeezed a Blitz-Ra and a Skeleton supporter into a Blitz on the carrier but thanks to my bad Push I would have had to succeed on way too many Dodges to make it practical. I also moved my safety Thro-Ra (With Dodge, Block, Fend and Tackle he's a pretty good safety player for the team) out of position to support this play and because I fluffed the Push I was unable to succeed, effectively handing the TD to DP. Here I also lost out to yet another GFI failure, so my Blitz-Ra was unsupported in his attempt to get the carrier. Ugh.

While I did have a chance to score in my final drive, DP did a good job of stalling me and I'd have had to put my carrier in Blitzing range pretty much unsupported. Since I knew just a draw would get me the promotion and AV7 is pretty fragile I chose to hold back and avoid the inevitable career-ending injury.

Overall I was pleased with the team's performance, grabbing Tackle on my Thro-Ra was really worth it as he turned two Stumbles on Dodge players into successful hits. My second Blitz-Ra is now 9 matches without a single SPP and for the fifth god-damned game in a row a bench-Skeleton who never stepped on the pitch picks up MVP. As expected with 4 Mighty Blow against 1 (On the Star Player, who spent most of the match on the floor or ineffectually Pushing players) I won the Cas game 2-0, with regen putting the Dead and BH players back on the pitch shortly after, which put 2 of my TGs within a single Cas of their next level as clearly they'll never get a damned MVP...

As the result still needs validating I'm don't know what he's rolled for his level-up so too early to speculate on what I'll grab. In a continuing saga of being only half-useful, my DP/SG Skeleton managed to get himself KOed early on and refused to wake up, and the only foul he performed in the match was a pathetic armour roll of 1+2. GAH! I'm liking Kick though so far, both kicks of the game I was able to place the ball an annoying distance away from DP's Thro-Ras.

Anyway that means the Magnates win the championship again. The question now forming in my mind is: should I keep going? Do you still want to crush those uppity Magnates or is it boring to have one team up there? As we're 1-1-1 between our teams I'd welcome the chance for another shot against Lizards, but equally I'd have to win next season to get back into the Championship so it'd be at least a month away. Plus that's just me, I'm really not important.

potatoedoughnut
30-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Anyway that means the Magnates win the championship again. The question now forming in my mind is: should I keep going? Do you still want to crush those uppity Magnates or is it boring to have one team up there?

I really thought I had you this time (not that it would have changed the season outcome at all), but I couldn't make a 3+ with TRR to save my life.

I would still like to beat the magnates, but I won't be in the Champs next season.

Hopefully my replacement ghoul can get some SPP next season, his lack of block has bit me in the ass several times now. I think he's been injured or KOd more times than he's touched the ball.

mrpier
30-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the game Mr Dragon, I never found you on steam so i thought I should say it here.

And with that Div 1 is finished for this season and it looks like my ratz are jumping down a tier for next season.

sketchseven
30-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Odin's Longboatsmen 1 - Graveyard Escapists 2

Another match plagued by either bad luck or bad decisions on my part (BB Manager posts negatives for D6 and 2D6 results, but some of that was having to take long odd chances to try and pressure). Block dice just not going in my favour either.

Norse lived up to the glass part of their name, losing the only MB empowered member of the team in the opening turn to a KO that lasted the entire match; the same fate befell the only ulfwerener on the team, who also slept off the rest of the match. Apoc managed to turn a smashed hip into a death, so that's -1MV on one of my linemen, and then another was killed later on.

I don't know. I don't mean to moan, proxyMath played good solid BB, got his fouls in (without result) and targeted his blocks well; but my first team reroll went on the first turn of the first half to try and get something better than double skulls, and his first reroll went voluntarily to change double push into something else - at the end of the first half.

Think I need to dump this team and reboot with a different race. Just massively discouraged.

(also, thanks to proxyMath for being a gent and overlooking the fact I completely forgot about the match tonight; got a bit swept up in the Olympics).

[EDIT: after further thought - and some discussion with Everblue - definitely looking to reboot next season. Think I've updated the sheet properly but please correct it if I haven't.]

cyberpunkdreams
30-07-2012, 10:10 PM
... the Olympics.

Some kind of BB tournament of which I've not heard?

potatoedoughnut
30-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Apoc managed to turn a smashed hip into a death, so that's -1MV on one of my linemen, and then another was killed later on.

I wouldn't bother using the apoc on a lino unless he had a +stat or doubles that you wanted to hang onto. They're meant to die and you'll regret it in the future when you could have apoc'd a positional instead of fodder (applies to pretty much any team, not just norse).

sketchseven
31-07-2012, 03:44 AM
Yeah it was probably another bad judgement on my part (let's call it an unforced error). I did it mainly because the lino had a skill up but it wasn't anything that was hard to replace (like a +stat or a double).

grinn
31-07-2012, 07:26 AM

I would love to see the Magnates stay. It's great to have a reigning championship king for the rest of us mere mortals to try and topple. Unless it's boring for you to be mr overlord for too long. Keep the Magnates!!!

groovychainsaw
31-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Yeah Jiiim, only retire if its getting boring at the top for you. Those skinks are a mighty juicy target if my tackle/mighty blow/block humans can ever get out of tier 1 (and there's a slim chance in my final game...).

Additionally, the season ends on THURSDAY so get your last games in, or make your excuses in here, as usual. I see a couple of people have asked for an extension until friday, which is granted. I might need that time, too :-). Hopefully we'll be setting up the new season over the weekend and be ready for people to apply by sunday...?

Additionally additionally, how's everyone finding the new league structure? It's not had much impact on me in tier 1, as it's largely the same, but lower down, how have people found it? The match-ups still fun? I know we've had a few bigger TV differences, but that's kinda fun too, right? Everyone happy to go another season with the same structure in place? (complete with the EXCITING LIVE DRAW again which I really enjoyed doing - probably on Sunday if the matches get sorted).

Jiiiiim
31-07-2012, 09:46 AM
No, no, I love playin' them, just don't want them to be dampening everyone's spirits with their invincibility. That said they'll now crumble to dust this season, just to show me.

I've enjoyed the new structure!

Screwie
31-07-2012, 10:08 AM
I have had a miserable season so far but the structure is not to blame for that. Happy to continue the experiment for another season or more.

Hopefully we'll be setting up the new season over the weekend and be ready for people to apply by sunday...?

Does this mean another live draw? :D

Everblue
31-07-2012, 10:15 AM
No, no, I love playin' them, just don't want them to be dampening everyone's spirits with their invincibility.

If that isn't tempting Nuffle, I don't know what is!

EDIT - New structure seems good so far, thanks.

groovychainsaw
31-07-2012, 10:37 AM
complete with the EXCITING LIVE DRAW again which I really enjoyed doing - probably on Sunday if the matches get sorted).

So, yes, live draw again, probably on sunday if all goes well (time TBD - any preference for when people would like to see it?)

desvergeh
31-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Additionally, the season ends on THURSDAY so get your last games in, or make your excuses in here, as usual.

Hey Groovy,

Need to request an extension until friday for my match against Karandraz. Haven't had much luck meeting up yet, but thursday night should work.

Screwie
31-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Whoops, didn't read that far before replying :)

Skydancer
31-07-2012, 11:13 AM
I'd like to continue trying the new structure, we'll need a couple more seasons to determine if it's the best one or not.

Squiz
31-07-2012, 12:19 PM
I'd like to continue trying the new structure, we'll need a couple more seasons to determine if it's the best one or not.I'll second that. Personally, I haven't yet experienced any impact of the new system. Looking forward to the live drawing though, that was both exciting and fun last time.

sketchseven
31-07-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm liking the new structure - getting to play different groups of people seems to be better than a rotation through the usual customers each season.

I've put my name down to reboot but I'm not quite clear on how I should go about that - just change the name of my team once the season ends, or something else?

groovychainsaw
31-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Changing the team name at the end of the season's fine, it's not a critical element :-). As for the form here, once you are CERTAIN what team you're rebooting to, change your race to the new one in curly brackets {}. This frees up your previous race for any new joiners before the end of the season. Also, (obviously) add Rx to the 'next season' column (as you have done), as that's the one I use to figure out where you are going.

ntw
31-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Changing the team name at the end of the season's fine, it's not a critical element :-). As for the form here, once you are CERTAIN what team you're rebooting to, change your race to the new one in curly brackets {}. This frees up your previous race for any new joiners before the end of the season. Also, (obviously) add Rx to the 'next season' column (as you have done), as that's the one I use to figure out where you are going.

NOES!

If you are rebooting then please put Rx {Xxx} in column E, where Rx is your place in the rebooting queue and {Xxx} is your rebooted race.

Although now I think more...it may be more sensible to put your new race in column C in curlies, and add your current race in column E after the Rx.

groovychainsaw
31-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Although now I think more...it may be more sensible to put your new race in column C in curlies, and add your current race in column E after the Rx.

Yup, just makes it easier for new player to know what's available as the new season approaches. It doesn't really affect the existing season. NB - Make sure you are CERTAIN you are changing before adding the curly brackets to column C around your new choice, otherwise someone might set up a team to take your race slot and you won't be able to change back...

cyberpunkdreams
31-07-2012, 02:09 PM
... curlies...

Just for the record, being a typography geek:

{} = braces
[] = brackets
() = parentheses

Zoraster
31-07-2012, 02:26 PM
In American yes, not in English.

El Cubo
31-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Additionally additionally, how's everyone finding the new league structure? It's not had much impact on me in tier 1, as it's largely the same, but lower down, how have people found it?

It was intimidating to face three teams with way longer history than mine but even though I took plenty of casualties, I won more matches than lost. The games were fun, too.

cyberpunkdreams
31-07-2012, 03:38 PM
In American yes, not in English.

Well, maybe in popular usage. To typographers, I'm pretty sure that differentiation has always been made. #offtopic ;)

Heliocentric
31-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Myself and Xenny may require an extension.. Or not, it's up in the air.

Corkir
31-07-2012, 06:17 PM
The division I title decider was transformed by the opening kick off event. On paper Cyber’s goblins had a great start with the sun crimping my elvish passing and the goblins scoring knockdowns and armour breaks with every single block in their opening two turns. Lacking any bench the broken neck and trio of KOs would have put the Bombers firmly in control. However the opening kick off resulted in a blitz and my elves swarmed downfield, scoring in their first turn. As I was the underdog Cyber had no bribes so his chainsaw and fanatic were sent off meaning he couldnt press his advantage.

Cybers dice got cold resulting in total carnage. When I had bad moments (2 consecutive turns ending with snakes) the ‘bad’ turns were still interspersed with goblin puree being spread over the astrogranite. 5-0 by the end and six, maybe seven, skill rolls for my elves. 11-0 TD record for the season so it couldnt have gone better. I am down a blitzer and a lineman (now with ag3) for the next game which puts a slight dampener on things but Mutilation could not have wished for such a good debut season.

cyberpunkdreams
31-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Division I: Black Bombers (me, gobbo) 0 - 5 Machiavellian Mutilation (Corkir, DElf)

Another fairly horrific match for the Bombers. Not only was the score 5-0, but Corkir scored 10 (yes, 10) injuries, including one guy who was apoc'ed from dead only to go back on and get injured again. A deep kick and blitz on the first turn allowed MM to score in their first turn, meaning that BB's two secret weapon guys were off the pitch before they could really do anything. The gobbo's dirty player got an injury in before being knocked off the pitch himself, but the three early KOs scored by the Bombers were quickly nullified by Corkir's babes at the end of the drive. It was all downhill from there.

All in all, a pretty frustrating match. A win could have been on the cards for the Bombers until Nuffle really took over. I don't mind losing, but when the dice are that bad... Having said that, it shouldn't detract from Corkir's game; he was a great opponent and played brilliantly throughout.

A quick calculation of SPPs:

BB: 8 (one cas (the other was from a foul), one completion and one MVP)
MM: 41 (five TD, one completion, 10 cas and one MVP)

I pity whoever plays Corkir next. Nine of his players levelled from that one match.

Heliocentric
31-07-2012, 06:24 PM
11-0 TD record? Dirty elves.

cyberpunkdreams
31-07-2012, 06:24 PM
The division I title decider was transformed by the opening kick off event. On paper Cyber’s goblins had a great start with the sun crimping my elvish passing and the goblins scoring knockdowns and armour breaks with every single block in their opening two turns. Lacking any bench the broken neck and trio of KOs would have put the Bombers firmly in control. However the opening kick off resulted in a blitz and my elves swarmed downfield, scoring in their first turn. As I was the underdog Cyber had no bribes so his chainsaw and fanatic were sent off meaning he couldnt press his advantage.

Cybers dice got cold resulting in total carnage. When I had bad moments (2 consecutive turns ending with snakes) the ‘bad’ turns were still interspersed with goblin puree being spread over the astrogranite. 5-0 by the end and six, maybe seven, skill rolls for my elves. 11-0 TD record for the season so it couldnt have gone better. I am down a blitzer and a lineman (now with ag3) for the next game which puts a slight dampener on things but Mutilation could not have wished for such a good debut season.

Congratulations on a great season! I was trying not to sound too bitter in my report :p

Heliocentric
31-07-2012, 06:37 PM
I pity whoever plays Corkir next. Nine of his players levelled from that one match.[/FONT][/FONT]

TV bloat ^_^ I don't care if they have blodge, fend, sidestep and guard. Once they hit the floor they are mine.

cyberpunkdreams
31-07-2012, 06:40 PM
TV bloat ^_^ I don't care if they have blodge, fend, sidestep and guard. Once they hit the floor they are mine.

It's getting them on the floor that's the hard part ;). But yes... I did get in a DP foul with three assists, which did the trick nicely. My guy didn't even get sent off. If only it had continued that way!

cyberpunkdreams
31-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Oh, and could a most kind of beneficent admin validate that Div I match please, if they happen to be wandering past?

Heliocentric
31-07-2012, 07:17 PM
DP? Buh, the most important skill a pro fouling coach needs is wrestle. Getting them on the floor is the important part.

groovychainsaw
31-07-2012, 08:56 PM
All games i could find were validated. Enjoy your levels Corkir!!

ntw
31-07-2012, 10:00 PM
A match did not take place between NieA7 and myself tonight, it was not full of ridiculous failures and ludicrous luck.
Had such a match actually taken place, the score most definitely would not have been 0-0.

Now kindly look into the red light please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW8sGbvb9wM&amp;feature=player_detailpage

mrpier
31-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Small conumdrum here, my Rat Ogre Idefix rolled a double (5-5) for his second skillup which enables him to take +1 MV, or +1 AV or any skill category. He already has Juggernaut otherwise I would have already have given him block and that's that, now i'm thinking maybe he should get claw instead. What do you guys think? Or is there another option I should consider?

Jiiiiim
31-07-2012, 10:25 PM
I always wanted to try diving tackle AND prehensile tail together, but given how hard it is for him to stand up again probably not an idea. Jump up might be a good one as he can then block while prone as well.

potatoedoughnut
31-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Small conumdrum here, my Rat Ogre Idefix rolled a double (5-5) for his second skillup which enables him to take +1 MV, or +1 AV or any skill category. He already has Juggernaut otherwise I would have already have given him block and that's that, now i'm thinking maybe he should get claw instead. What do you guys think? Or is there another option I should consider?

Claw is good.

Pro is good for not eating up loner'd rerolls.

You could also do dodge (harder to knock down and can be followed with break tackle, good for blitzing/not getting marked up).

Or you could make a roadblock with tentacles (rat ogres already have prehensile tail right?) followed with stand firm (doesn't mesh well with juggernaut though).

I'd probably take Pro or claw.

mrpier
31-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Pro is tempting, it will help with the wild animal rolls and will work well with break tackle (or any other reroll of course) which is what I would have given him on a normal skill-up. I have pro on a mino, and it has helped with his reliablility. Idefixes biggest problem to date though is being singled out and knocked down, in which case he usually stays down for at least a couple of turns, so block is still in contention.

Gorm
31-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Cccllllaaaawwwww

Heliocentric
31-07-2012, 11:43 PM
What do you guys think? Or is there another option I should consider?

jugga and claw is bad synergy.

What about Dodge?

El Cubo
31-07-2012, 11:50 PM
I'd take pro. Having juggernaut suggests building him into a ram. So then you'll be blitzing with him a lot, and pro makes that more reliable. Besides, re-positioning wild animals without blitzing them is a pain, and pro helps with that as well.

Heliocentric
31-07-2012, 11:54 PM
best thing about pro? random ass interceptions are 50% more likely.

sketchseven
01-08-2012, 12:01 AM
I don't understand much of what was said, but it looks like someone edited the sheet for me - as I'm in Tier 4 I don't think rebooting should be much of an issue. I have a new team set-up and ready to go in BBLE.

Everblue
01-08-2012, 12:03 AM
He'll be scary as hell with claw. No-one will want to go near him.

Clearly he'll die in the next game though.

Heliocentric
01-08-2012, 12:05 AM
He'll be scary as hell with claw. No-one will want to go near him.
Norse literally wont care though
^_^

20phoenix
01-08-2012, 12:54 AM
Claw or tentacles. If you dont blitz with him often then tentacles and park him next to whoever you want to tie down. Follow it up with block/stand firm. If you go claw then any of block/MB/pro should be next up.

NieA7
01-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Tentacles and juggs sounds like a pretty good combination to me - should make him excellent for disrupting cages, frenzy will get him next to the carrier (with even BD letting you move him in) and tentacles/prehensile tail should make sure they can't escape, especially if you get stand firm next. Guard would be nice later down the line to get you assists even if the cage corners are still standing.

Dentharial
01-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Ahead of the season closing match against DeekyFun this evening, I figured I'd better hammer out my report for last week's match against Cacamas, so...

Div G: Da Blu Moonz (Dentharial, Orcs) VS The Top Brass (Cacamas, High Elves)

The team’s made up of elves who are rich
And take part in world politics,
They ran forward quite fast,
The ball’s accurately passed,
And the orcs look like dumb, country hicks.

For twelve turns, each orc pounds their fist,
But every injury's missed,
One turn’s on the board,
A draw barely scored,
Another non-loss on the list!

Final Score: Da Blu Moonz 1-1 The Top Brass

This makes 2 games in a row where my orcs have consistently failed to score any injuries at all (there was a crowd-surf death against the Skaven which was apo'd, and there may have been a single apo'd injury against the high elves). Hopefully tonight's game against Deeky's High Elves will have some more red blood in it.

Nevertheless, I was pretty pleased with my team's performance in this match. I realised too late that The Top Brass have a lot of skills, and I was sorely lacking in Tackle for all the Dodge that was liberally sprinkled over the elves. Fortunately their dodging luck was pretty poor in the second half, but Cacamas still did a good job of slowing the orc cage to a crawl, and forced me to make a few riskier plays to secure the equalizer in the final turn.

mrpier
01-08-2012, 12:37 PM
I gave the bastard pro in the end.

Everblue
01-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Hi. No sign of DWZippy/Darkwingstalker - he's not been online for 5 days, hope everything's ok. Regardless I will not now be able to play him before the end of the season, so could you please admin us an appropriate result.

Thanks

DeekyFun
01-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Due to life getting in the way, I'm not able to play my match with Dentharial. Can an admin please give him the win for our match. I'm also going to be away for the next two weeks, and busy for the following couple as well, so I'm thinking it might be a good idea if I'm not in the next season. May I jump back in after that, though?

LowKey
01-08-2012, 07:13 PM
I think I have amended my reboot correctly but am already pre-emptively flinching just in case, Pro was a good choice as shown by Billy 'the bastard' Big Balls

sketchseven
01-08-2012, 08:00 PM
I've amended my reboot to match LowKey's version. So if there's any problems, I'll make sure he gets the punishment.

Dentharial
01-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Due to life getting in the way, I'm not able to play my match with Dentharial. Can an admin please give him the win for our match. I'm also going to be away for the next two weeks, and busy for the following couple as well, so I'm thinking it might be a good idea if I'm not in the next season. May I jump back in after that, though?

I realised something! Me being given the win guarantees my promotion, and screws Cacamas out of an opportunity to be promoted. If me and Deeky had drawn, and Cacamas wins his match, then that'll throw the three of us into a 3-way tie.

As such, and since we could have had a match scheduled on Sunday but I couldn't make it, I'm more than happy with taking a draw rather than being gifted a win.

TL;DR
Draw is probably fairer than conceded win.

Edit: Whoops! Both Deeky and I forgot to mention our division. It's Div G!

Kapouille
02-08-2012, 08:21 AM
1 - 0

Well played jaysond.

Here are a few noteworthy items, from the HL coach's perspective:

received ball, suffered yet again another blitz. I seem to be doomed to this event when first receiving.
things turned quickly hairy (no wonder, with that many beastmen and minotaurs) as halfling's defensive space was getting quickly invaded.
decided I liked the odds of 72% throw-team-mate-scoring as opposed to suffering more turns of beastmen pressure. Halfling crashed in the middle of enemy space.
Beastmen picked up ball on second attempt (after losing reroll) and tortoised their way to Halfling defensive space.
treeman took root despite of reroll.
Heroic double bash from desperate halfling : beastman loses ball!
after struggle ball finds itself in hands of chaos warrior 1 turn before end of half time.
Chaos warrior passes to beastman, interception fails, beastman scores.
Second half time starts with easy ball pickup from beastman. Tortoise behind line of chaos warriors and minotaur.
Treeman spots hole embeds himself in tortoise
Chaos coach receives unexpected visit, starts to disengage from match.
beastman attempts dodge, fails.
Halflings pick up ball, organise offense.
As halflings prepare to dodge their way to score, receive fireball, lose ball.
Unable to retreive ball as much of the team is out and one treeman have been on the floor from most of the second half time.
Game ends.

Yet another frustrating game. No SPP was awarded to the Hal team due to total lack of .... Anything.
Bit frustrated of course that despite the fact that the opposing coach was a bit on and off on the second half, we gloriously failed to do anything worthwhile.

Cacamas
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Cheese It!!! 3 - 1 The Top Brass

* First injury (BH) came in the first turn to my only tackler. Not a good start.
* Two crucial plays that created the 2 TD gap:
* On first play of game, a poor attempt at a passing move leaves catcher exposed to blitz with ball in hand.
* Rats exploit the opportunity and counter for the first TD
* Second half with score at 2-1, elves try to switch to right hand side of pitch but spend the vital re-roll on an unnecessary 2d block.
* Next dice is a dodge for the thrower who falls over and the ball bounces into rat hands, TD following shortly thereafter.
* Interesting stat from BB Manager: the rats had +24 chance for 1d6 dice, which I've never seen before.
* Combined with the poor dodging dice for the Elves (-11), it was always going to be difficult.
* Overall, I felt I played poorly, not managing my risk to the maximum and Gorm took full advantage.

Heliocentric
02-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Before the gate closes... And asuming xenny doesnt show up I'm petitioning for a default victory, I have been about a lot and have eagerly awaiting fouling</why did they get rid of strike> playing against the glass cannon norse.

So, yes, free win please.

edit: scrap this got a PM, xenny means to play at 11:30 PM? So be it.

Janek
02-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Beasts of Bembridge (Janek, Nurgle) 2 - 0 Agathis Avengers (AgP, Wood Elves)

Fresh from the demoralising death of the eponymous Beast of Bembridge, the Beasts immediately set upon their woodsy nemeses, Internal Ears causing a lineelf casualty with the first block. Opting to merely cover the awkward sideline ball until the end of the turn, their plan was foiled when the replacement Beast badly hurt himself rolling both down against the treeman. A wardancer advanced to menace the ball, but left himself in a position to be crowdsurfed. The beasts obliged, only to roll quadruple skulls for the key block, leaving the ball completely open and the wardancer marked by just one player and within scoring range.

"Oh no," said coach Janek. "Not again."

Nuffle took pity on the Beasts, however, as the wardancer fell flat on his face while trying to leap towards the uncovered ball. While the Beasts were unable to immediately pick up, due to the number of covering elves, they made swift progress in clearing the area as one elf after another was consigned to the injury box. The charge was led by Internal Ears, who completed his cas-trick in just three turns. The ball was eventually retrieved and trundled upfield, as the ever-diminishing elf team scrambled backwards, ending up with just four players as the touchdown was scored.

The elves didn't have much better luck in the second half, lining up with seven or eight versus the full Nurgle team, as the skies opened and made a mess of any attempt at a quick passing game. It turned (as it so often does for the Beasts) into an ugly scrum in the middle of the park, and the ball eventually fell into the hands of a grateful rotter. There was little the surviving elves could do as the ball rumbled towards their touchline, and they could merely watch as a crowd of rotters shielded a handoff to an unskilled nurgle warrior to run in the second touchdown and claim his first skill.

---

Some miserable block dice early on (so many skulls) but they were more than compensated for by some excellent armour rolls, and AgP rolling ones at key moments. No less than five players picked up skills for me, and I believe AgP's treeman levelled as well. Could a lovely admin validate please? I'm most eager to see what's what.

Gorm
03-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Just posting my side of my Skaven vs Cacamas' HElves, i had a game that was so lucky i will never see its like again. Coupled with terrible dodge dice on Cacamas' part the game just seemed to go my way most of the time without Cacamas being able to do much about it with the dice he got.

Heliocentric
03-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Heliocentric's Int'He Night Guardians - Xenny's "Xenny's Berserkers"
It was a game of 2 halves in the classic sense, half one saw only a haldful of norse left on the pitch and 4 of the removed injured.

Half 2 saw a dead necromantic werewolf, the same not yet dead werewolf fail a gfi that would have otherwise been a second touchdown for the lead turn into a LoS throw in, which would turn into a secured norse pickup, and then turn into a risk free touchdown. I was in complete control for 11 turns and then It went to hat.

Most importantly I recruited my first player from another team, but the match was a harsh lesson is moderation, take the safe bet when you have one.

Heliocentric's Int'He Night Guardians 1 - 2 Xenny's "Xenny's Berserkers"

I seem to be scooped for league promotion by Xenny on account of points. That said, it was a great first season, cant wait to get a few skills on these beasts.

chadsexington
03-08-2012, 02:07 AM
the match was a harsh lesson is moderation, take the safe bet when you have one.

Oh god the "Nuffle doesn't like greedy coaches" lesson. I have been taught that lesson over and over again but I rarely learn.

cyberpunkdreams
03-08-2012, 03:24 AM
I saw the Xenny Vs Helio match, leaning over Xenny's shoulder and alternatively pulling my hair out or laughing maniacally. It was really one of those matches.

The highlight was this, and I quote from last week:

Whats that you say, an AV9 Yheetee? Meet my mighty blow+claws+frenzy werewolf... Good times.

That blow+claws+frenzy werewolf? Well, he mighty blowed, clawed and frenzied Xenny's yheti... and died. In the process. On the last turn. Seriously, if Helio did anything wrong, it was being totally obsessed with that yheti.

Heliocentric
03-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Yep, barely even managed to get armour break on what should have been a easy mark. My only regret is that I let up on fouling which had been nothing but good to me.

I need to be more devout.

boots468
03-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Anyone seen HughTower around recently? He hasn't responded to the group match organising or a private message yet.

groovychainsaw
03-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Sorry boots, hugh sent me a PM the other night, real life (pah!) has taken over and he's having to drop out. He did mention he'll probably miss the last game, too.

boots468
03-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Fair enough then, cheers Groovy.

Of course, even with the three points from the default I'm going to finish bottom of my division this season. Which after being promoted for all five of my seasons before (*) is quite the drop in form. There are some scarily developed teams up near the top and also all the luck I'd been using in those first five seasons finally ran out.

{* - admittedly at least 2 of these were finishing second and going up anyway due to dropouts/no shows, but it was still a nice stat :-) }

groovychainsaw
03-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Actually, boots, the 2-0 default victory over hugh keeps you in tier 1, in third place, with hugh taking 4th :-)

desvergeh
03-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Division H - Bishi Bashi Speshal vs Aggressive Negotiation

And I thought my last match-up was violent?

The gloves were off this match, with it looking likely to be a fairly even punch-up between Karandraz' stronger Lizards, and my more skilled orcs.

A static orc cage in the first half coaxed too many of Karandraz' lizards in, and despite the first half ending 0-0, the orcs outnumbered the lizards almost 2:1 by this point.

A valiant push by Karandraz' skinks early in the second half threatened the scoreboard, but this was denied by tackle-equipped orc blitzers.

With his numbers dwindling, Karandraz had little choice but to concede to 2 TDs, whilst doing his best to cushion any further harm to his team.

Final Score 2-0 in favour of Bishi Bashi Speshal.

Cheers for being a sport Karandraz, it must have been a frustrating match.

Kajo
03-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Me (Necro) and Alini (dwarfs) played the last match of the season in DIV C

Fans get mad at Necros, 5 stunned, TD scored. A wight got murdered, an elfball TD got in. A zombie doesn't want to live anymore and another TD is scored.

In the mean time a golem was BH and a ghoul broke his ribs, while a killed dwarf got sewn back up to BH (still could get into the pitch :/)

Alini also scored a last turn TD, bringing the total to 3-1.

Bloody bloody match that secures my 5th promotion in a row.

I probably wont be able to play on August, can i drop off this season?

boots468
03-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Actually, boots, the 2-0 default victory over hugh keeps you in tier 1, in third place, with hugh taking 4th :-)

True, but two teams get relegated from each div in our tier don't they? I suppose if you lose to Hands there'd be three of us tied on 3 points so one team would survive with just 3 points, but seeing as my only non-loss was from a default, it would be fairer to give it you.

ChainsawHands
03-08-2012, 02:28 PM
If I beat groovy then you'd all be on 3 points, so it goes to head to head record. HughTower beat groovy, groovy beat boots, and boots beat HughTower, so it then goes to your record against the top team, which would be a loss for all of you, so it then goes to total casualty + td difference.

Alistair Hutton
03-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Altdorf Army 4 - 4 Dread Pool

Wacky would be one way of describing this game.

Super wacky.

The first half was a story of 2 turn touchdowns. The tale of the second half was me fucking up but then pulling a magnificent one turn touchdown out of the bag to tie the game on the last turn.

A Human team with 4 catchers is really rather fun to play.

Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo
03-08-2012, 11:43 PM
can the matches for devision K be validated please? also chadsexington tells me that we move around devisions on sunday which i will (or i think should be) moving up due to having the tie breaker, so whatever devision i end up i am away until thursday next week so dont think ive run off

Screwie
04-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Altdorf Army 4 - 4 Dread Pool

Wacky would be one way of describing this game.

Super wacky.

The first half was a story of 2 turn touchdowns. The tale of the second half was me fucking up but then pulling a magnificent one turn touchdown out of the bag to tie the game on the last turn.

A Human team with 4 catchers is really rather fun to play.

It was indeed a marvellously weird game.

I spent my 200k inducements on Eldril Sidewinder and boy, that was money very well spent! AH hadn't met Sidewinder before and, with both our sides were stocked full of Guard, his Hypnotic Gaze gave me advantage in each hustle. Plus a 3rd player with Pass Block was handy too - although the number of interceptions that slipped through my fingers was aggravating.

If I could, whenever I kicked I would send a lone blitzer upfield to harass AH's isolated thrower... just because. It worked out quite nicely once or twice too. :)

It looked all sewn up as I scored my 4th TD, with only one turn on the clock AH would need something special to score - and he did it, with that special LoS push to give his Sprinting catcher the extra square he needed to run it in.

When it came back to me for my final turn, I knew it was over. So my rookie assassin, whose Stabbing and Shadowing both had utterly failed throughout the match, threw a normal 3D block into the face of a catcher and killed him dead. Dangerous guy! Then one of my blitzers injured another, for good measure. That was my only Cas-based SPP of the whole match, too :)

Awesome match, and although I very nearly won I don't mind the result and the probable demotion. My witch elf hit level 2 (finally she can get Block and be competent!), another lineman hit level 2 (wonder if he'll get Guard :D ) and my third blitzer hit level 3. Awesome.

Kajo
04-08-2012, 02:55 PM
My witch elf hit level 2 (finally she can get Block and be competent!)

Don't worry, she will die on the next match :P

groovychainsaw
05-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Right, season's ended and I've assigned everyone to their tier for next season.

Take a look, check I haven't made any horrendous mistakes. A coupla people got bumped up a tier after the reboots/dropouts, best 2nd places from each tier took those spots.

Live draw for your divisions will be 8pm tomorrow night in the steam group chat, as before. Then all you have to do is take your team out of your previous division and apply in-game to the new division (all instructions for doing this on the sheet. Hopefully we'll get everyone done by the following weekend. Shout before tomorrow night if anything is amiss!

P.S. - I know we're one over on skaven right now, but that's due to a returning team, so wasn't much I could do about that. It'll probably go down naturally over time as the rats die off ;-).

wink5000
05-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Seems that I got cut. Couldn't find my team from the Season info tier listing. If its possible I sure would like to continue next season.

El Cubo
05-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Seems that I got cut. Couldn't find my team from the Season info tier listing. If its possible I sure would like to continue next season.

It's there on the 4th tier.

groovychainsaw
05-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Yeah, check the 'season info' tab, under next season tier, should be there?

chadsexington
05-08-2012, 08:39 PM
I noticed a little glitch that I hope can be remedied. There are three Khemri teams in my tier. I'm pretty sure that goes over the international tomb guardian limit by 8.

20phoenix
05-08-2012, 08:46 PM
P.S. - I know we're one over on skaven right now, but that's due to a returning team, so wasn't much I could do about that. It'll probably go down naturally over time as the rats die off ;-).

Never!!

You may smash our puny bodies, stamp on our furry faces but we will survive!!

Jarvis
05-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I noticed a little glitch that I hope can be remedied. There are three Khemri teams in my tier. I'm pretty sure that goes over the international tomb guardian limit by 8.

Imagine if they all end up in the same div, it'll be fumbles everywhere with the lucky odd team out running around with the ball laughing maniacally.

Screwie
05-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Don't worry, she will die on the next match :P

Bugger, in my moment of minor triumph I totally forgot about that conversation I had with Zoraster ages ago about Block vs Wrestle for the witch elf. Too late now.

smaug81
05-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Right, season's ended and I've assigned everyone to their tier for next season.

Take a look, check I haven't made any horrendous mistakes. A coupla people got bumped up a tier after the reboots/dropouts, best 2nd places from each tier took those spots.

Live draw for your divisions will be 8pm tomorrow night in the steam group chat, as before. Then all you have to do is take your team out of your previous division and apply in-game to the new division (all instructions for doing this on the sheet. Hopefully we'll get everyone done by the following weekend. Shout before tomorrow night if anything is amiss!

Ack! Wasn't actually expecting to get bumped up to Tier 2. . . I fear my Nurgles may lack sufficient development to hold up. Ah well, them's the breaks.

On a more practical note, I'm moving into a new apartment tomorrow, so I won't have internet available for the live draw. The Internet Fairy is scheduled to come by Tuesday morning to hook me up, however, so with luck I'll not have any trouble shifting divisions with reasonable promptness. If I run into any troubles, there are places in town where I'll be able to get online long enough to provide a heads up, and possibly retain someone to apply for me if need be.

Heliocentric
05-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Never!!

You may smash our puny bodies, stamp on our furry faces but we will survive!!
I am more than willing to facilitate your players transition to AV8 and regeneration, and face stamping too.

Everblue
05-08-2012, 11:55 PM
You will all be delighted to hear that my block chaos warrior has rolled +1 STR.

Also, I'm going to kill all your teams.

Thanks

El Cubo
06-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Ack! Wasn't actually expecting to get bumped up to Tier 2. . . I fear my Nurgles may lack sufficient development to hold up. Ah well, them's the breaks.

At least you haven't got AV7 players!

The Brain
06-08-2012, 09:28 AM
I am more than willing to facilitate your players transition to AV8 and regeneration, and face stamping too.

I was playing a game with my new undead team in the challenge league the other day and managed to 'recruit' an elf player. My new zombie was on the side line and I was thoroughly pleased with myself. Then at the end of the match when I go to add him to the team he has turned into a bloody skeleton! I've since had the same thing happen in single player. Has anyone else noticed this happening? I want more zombies, not armour 7. I've had enough of that playing elves in the DOD.

Everblue
06-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Don't all kills on an undead team turn into skeletons? It certainly happened with my undead team.

Kills on necro teams turn into zombies I think.

Kapouille
06-08-2012, 09:58 AM
At least you haven't got AV7 players!

At least you haven't got AV6 players!

groovychainsaw
06-08-2012, 10:05 AM
I win - i have an av4 snotling over in the stunty cup - lvl3 and not dead yet! :-D

LowKey
06-08-2012, 10:06 AM
I think you used to get zombies but yeah recently iv only got skeletons

Kapouille
06-08-2012, 10:15 AM
I win - i have an av4 snotling over in the stunty cup - lvl3 and not dead yet! :-D

It's can't be, damn you!

ChainsawHands
06-08-2012, 10:22 AM
I think you used to get zombies but yeah recently iv only got skeletonsThat's a bug (http://forum.bloodbowl-game.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=100), you should only be getting zombies from the necromancer (pg 17 of the rules).

Everblue
06-08-2012, 10:54 AM

What skills have you given him? I suggest piling on and wrestle. Get him in the thick of the action.

groovychainsaw
06-08-2012, 10:59 AM
:-D - unfortunately, he had skills before getting the serious concussion - he has diving tackle (for taking down big guys, natch) and sprint (for running away from said big guys)

JayTee
06-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Tier 1 looks fun.

Khemri, Chaos, Chaos, Undead, Necros, Necros, Dwarfs.

Oh and some Wood Elfs. They should have a smashing time...

Dentharial
06-08-2012, 11:53 AM
I love the fact that Nuffle now gets to have an impact before the season even begins. I assume the 8pm is UK time? Hopefully I'll be there.

Alistair Hutton
06-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Hmmm, had a choice of -1Mv or -1 AV on an Apothed injury role for my Guard, Grab, Dodge Blitzer. I took the AV. I think I may have made a mistake now. I would be very sad if I had to cut my setup man.

Squiz
06-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Hmmm, had a choice of -1Mv or -1 AV on an Apothed injury role for my Guard, Grab, Dodge Blitzer. I took the AV. I think I may have made a mistake now. I would be very sad if I had to cut my setup man.It may be a shame because of the double (by the way, how many of you guys have Dodge?), but see the positive side of things: If you cut him, you are more likely to be the TV underdog, which isn't too bad with Humans.

groovychainsaw
06-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Yeah, the 'live draw' will be at 8pm UK time - 8pm BST (GMT +1)

20phoenix
06-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Tier 3 actually looks quite cuddly*

*fully expecting a basharific division draw now

chadsexington
06-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Tier 3 actually looks quite cuddly*

*fully expecting a basharific division draw now

Im predicting an all khemri division with a bonus fodder team

groovychainsaw
06-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Here's an interesting cut or do not cut decision: My ogre hit lvl 5 after my final match, as he keeps getting MVP. He's not rolled any doubles and has a niggling injury. He's worth 220TV, with guard, break tackle, stand firm and now grab. I think, dpending on how my division looks, I'm going to fire him and replace him with a full roster of catchers (I have 2 after another rookie died last game), shaving 80k off my TV in the process and giving me some serious passing options. Ok class, discuss, what would you do? Is the ogre important for a developed human team?

Screwie
06-08-2012, 01:46 PM
If your Blitzers have a few levels and you have enough Guard without the Ogre, I would say do it. Whether you hire a new Ogre (try for a double again) or 4 Human Catchers it will probably do more for your team.

Zoraster
06-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Yeah I'd recycle him Groovy. Precise timing would depend on the state of your blitzers and fixture list (one drawback of the new structure is you don't even have a rough idea of what you'll face next season unless you are at the top which does crimp building plans) but it is the right move at some stage.

Zoraster
06-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Im predicting an all khemri division with a bonus fodder team

I'd take that :) Zara's stakes and the Chef are not the happiest of sights for a Khemri coach even if they are one of the few teams who can go toe-to-toe with the trio of Trees. Not the best opposition for 'flings but way better than the division I expect of either two Norse and the dwarf outfit or an all speedster rat/woody combination.

Kapouille
06-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Yeah I'd recycle him Groovy.

When you do it, I expect the burgers served in the arena to be quite a bit tastier than usual.

mrpier
06-08-2012, 01:56 PM
I don't see any big problems replacing him with a fresh ogre if you have enough guard elsewhere on the team. Having four catchers on a human team is risky though. I think the human team is fast enough with four MV 7 blitzers and two catchers. Are you planning to use the catchers in every setup or will you bench some of them against bashy teams for instance?

groovychainsaw
06-08-2012, 01:58 PM
I was pretty sure that would be the consensus, but its nice to see what the crowd thinks. It will depend a little on my future opposition - very bashy and I might leave him there, but he's really just a mobile guard now, he never blitzes, and loses his useful tackle zone a couple of times a match anyway. My blitzers have 3/4 guard now, doubles on a lineman would be handy, but I think I'd survive most opposition without him. And I need to level some catchers! All my new ones keep dying :-D. My 2 old ones are both carrying injuries (one is AV6!) and it's only a matter of time before one of them bites the dust. I'd been holding off on getting 4 due to the bloat on my team, but I think trading the ogre for them and running 2 as defensive tackles might be the solution I'm looking for (the problem being my inability to stop elves - mighty blow/tackle failing for the second time in the season to leave my outnumbered by AV7 elves...grrr).

Dentharial
06-08-2012, 02:02 PM
To play devil's advocate for a moment, switching your Ogre out for extra Catchers seems like a pretty drastic change of direction. Is the rest of the team up to supporting the new playstyle as well?

Jiiiiim
06-08-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm going to be contrary and say that I love having a developed ogre, partly for fluff reasons and partly for play. Humans don't get anybody else quite that strong or tough and I like having the option of tieing up a big guy, or rolling three dice blocks, and especially grab. Grab is awesome with a fleet of catchers as it keeps the eternal dream of one-turning alive.

Kapouille
06-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Also, thanks to Zoraster, I view my team in quite a different way now. I now realise it's way too high in TV, especially now that I'm ending in the bottom leagues. And this Zara star... Holly cow.

This being said, I'm going to persist and still carry on with the same team :)

ChainsawHands
06-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Humans don't get anybody else quite that strong or toughMaybe not quite as tough, but groovy does have a ST5 blitzer.

groovychainsaw
06-08-2012, 02:20 PM
@Dentharial - I think I need catchers - my blitzers are doing their job of being the tough guys, but I need to build a couple of catchers to blitz the ball carrier/act as safeties and a wrestle tackle dauntless catcher is a pretty decent option. I'll run 2 catchers on offense as pure catchers, and 2 on defence. But I haven't picked up any spps for any catcher for a long while in the upper echelons. I'm basically rebuilding my team on the fly. My blitzers are all solid (block, tackle, mighty blow, guard), as are my linemen (all block or wrestle) and I have a str 5 blitzer(!), which definitely influences this decision as I DO have someone as strong and tough as the ogre :-). At this level, even 3 dice blocks have backfired on an ogre with no doubles (no block vs a large number of blodge players) so the blitzer is a much better choice. Grab is probably more useful on the blitzers, too. I'm just not sure if he's any use to me, especially as even a str 3 player who never loses his tackle zone is more valuable, i think. He's not there for hitting any more, sadly. There's an argument to get a fresh ogre off the shelf, and hope for some doubles this time round. But I think 2 blitzing catchers might prove more useful in general play for now. I will probably regret this with the first bashy team I come across. But that's what my passing game is for :-).

Everblue
06-08-2012, 02:35 PM
... and I have a str 5 blitzer(!), which definitely influences this decision as I DO have someone as strong and tough as the ogre

Except that your beloved ST5 blitzer is a special snowflake and you'll be devastated if he dies, whereas you'll be much more willing to use your Ogre to tie up that horrible C/PO/MB Nurgle warrrior.

I like the Ogre. You can shove him in there to take the hits and if he dies he dies. I imagine you'll use him very differently than your amazing blitzer.

I'd recycle your ogre to try to get one with block.

chadsexington
06-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Hey, this might be out there, but is there an area (and perhaps willing participants) where the higher up teams can post their team info, skills, and perhaps some fluff about what they dealt with, or how progression went, or maybe theme of the team, so us lower scrubs can marvel at the masters of RPS bloodbowl?

groovychainsaw
06-08-2012, 03:11 PM
@Everblue - tying up str 4/5 evil guys is what my wrestle linemen are for :-). I will be devastated if my str 5 blitzer dies, that is true, but I am selective with how I use him so far. The ogre is not so good for tying up as he inevitably boneheads out and then the other player is free. I've just found him to be fairly useless for the last few games, not mobile enough to help, always a bit adrift, unable to block many people reliably and losing his tackle zones a couple of times a game. He has been safely ignored by most opponents, and rightly so. Str 5 + guard IS useful for just standing there, and I have a soft spot for big guys, but i think I need to be hard and get rid of him for the sake of the team (especially as he is hogging SPPs).

Dentharial
06-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Having read all that, I'd get rid of the ogre, even get the catchers if you like, but be open to the idea of pulling a fresh one in if you come up against a bash-heavy team.

I know I had originally planned to steer clear of a troll for my orcs, but I panic-bought one when I saw Skydancer's Khemri on the calendar, and he served me very well in that one match. He's since been dead weight on my roster against the Skaven and High Elves of this season to the point I'm tempted to kick him out already, but it seems a little flamboyantly expensive to get rid of him so soon.

President Weasel
06-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Having read all that, I'd get rid of the ogre, even get the catchers if you like, but be open to the idea of pulling a fresh one in if you come up against a bash-heavy team.

I know I had originally planned to steer clear of a troll for my orcs, but I panic-bought one when I saw Skydancer's Khemri on the calendar, and he served me very well in that one match. He's since been dead weight on my roster against the Skaven and High Elves of this season, to the point I'm tempted to kick him out already, but it seems a little flamboyantly expensive to get rid of him so soon.

Put him on the line with two guys next to him, knock away the two other enemies on the line, and do a 3 dice mighty blow on the remaining posh elf or squeaky line fodder. Repeat if they score. What's not to like?

Dentharial
06-08-2012, 03:21 PM
That one situation is awesome, but the majority of my matches involve a lot more running around the pitch and pinning people against sidelines, and the Troll provides 3 major liabilities in that environment:
1) He's slow, in a team that's already got 4 Black Orcs lumbering around and slowing the pace down
2) He slows the team down even more because I ideally need to keep 1 guy by him at all times for that +2 on Really Stupid rolls
3) I have to treat his position as unreliable, and assume that those tackle zones just might not be there soon.

All that said...goddamit, I'm playing orcs and I want to hit things. Maybe I should let him out of the cage a bit more often and see how he does.

Everblue
06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Hey, this might be out there, but is there an area (and perhaps willing participants) where the higher up teams can post their team info, skills, and perhaps some fluff about what they dealt with, or how progression went, or maybe theme of the team, so us lower scrubs can marvel at the masters of RPS bloodbowl?

I haven't checked, but I wonder if our top tiers of players are regularly posting their matches into BBManager? High level BB replays are always good for us newbies to learn the game, and you can also get funky tables and stat pages to download too.