PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The many, many Divisions of Death!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34

potatoedoughnut
20-08-2012, 09:35 PM
I like to picture Zoraster as a mustachioed professor lecturing a load of slack-jawed students. They may not agree with him now, but deep down they all suspect they'll be better for having listened.

Actually I recently got a double 6 on a zombie for my Necro team. While concerned about my TV (which is insanely high, I've given away inducements in my last two matches despite being a lvl 4 wolf down in each) a St4 zombie just felt like a better bet than a guard zombie, though mainly because being so slow and unagile it's much easier to man-mark with them than move them around for support.

I guess now it's my turn to step in and say I would pass up a +STR on a zombie in favour of guard. Necros don't have a lot of STR access and getting guard on 1 or 2 zombies makes a huge difference. Str on a zombie just turns them into a FG replacement that can't get guard or MB without doubles. No block means they are a TO waiting to happen and no guard or stand firm means they're not all that annoying. They're also too slow to blitz with and/or follow up with frenzy.

NieA7
20-08-2012, 09:43 PM
I guess now it's my turn to step in and say I would pass up a +STR on a zombie in favour of guard. Necros don't have a lot of STR access and getting guard on 1 or 2 zombies makes a huge difference. Str on a zombie just turns them into a FG replacement that can't get guard or MB without doubles. No block means they are a TO waiting to happen and no guard or stand firm means they're not all that annoying. They're also too slow to blitz with and/or follow up with frenzy.

I prefer to use my zombies as movable road-blocks for nasties I'd rather keep at arm's length - St4 does that better than guard does (I tend not to block with him). After all chances are you'll only have 3 or 4 zombies on the pitch at any given time, and a zombie with only guard (this was the first skill) is a zombie spending most of its time flat on its ass. Of course that said you've been much more successful with Necro than I have, if I'm wrong I'll just fire the git.

El Cubo
20-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Stand firm on a zombie, hmm? A miniature flesh golem!

Everblue
20-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Inspired by this, I just sacked a player and rebought a rookie, just so my TV will only exceed my opponent's by 90k instead of 120k.

Having done that I feel like I already deserve a win.

potatoedoughnut
21-08-2012, 02:05 AM
I prefer to use my zombies as movable road-blocks for nasties I'd rather keep at arm's length - St4 does that better than guard does (I tend not to block with him). After all chances are you'll only have 3 or 4 zombies on the pitch at any given time, and a zombie with only guard (this was the first skill) is a zombie spending most of its time flat on its ass. Of course that said you've been much more successful with Necro than I have, if I'm wrong I'll just fire the git.

Str 4 zombie is still good, I just think guard is a better use of TV (70 instead of 90). I'd rather have block+guard than just str4 for 90TV, but both are valid.

+STR helps them stay on their feet, but in general I don't really care if they stay on their feet or get knocked down, either way the player they're marking isn't doing anything else. And if their mark is agile str4 won't stop them just dodging away.

Heliocentric
21-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Str 4 zombie

Double on a zombie ->jump up->better marking
Follow up with wrestle on a regular up later.

karandraz
21-08-2012, 02:36 AM
hey guys thought I should mention pester johns computer has broke so cant play our week one match :( hes on holiday at the moment so he may not have had chance to speak to an admin.

boots468
21-08-2012, 06:38 AM
I prefer to use my zombies as movable road-blocks for nasties I'd rather keep at arm's length - St4 does that better than guard does (I tend not to block with him).

Having just lost to NieA7 (damn that final turn touchdown :-) ) with my Lizards, I found that ST4 zombie much harder to deal with than a guard one would have been. It tied up a guard block saurus for most of the game, whereas I'd have happily pushed around a guard one. As I was in the irritating position of having 90 less tv, him having guard instead wouldn't have changed anything there either.

(And as there were 0 KO's all game, the babe was even more useless than usual ...)

Squiz
21-08-2012, 07:56 AM
So it seems as if Day 1 has ended yesterday. How is the situation with the extensions? I know that Graever and Patser would like a few days extra, what about the other divisions with unplayed games?.

Dentharial
21-08-2012, 09:12 AM
The gentlemanly Mrpier already requested an extension earlier in this thread, but to emphasize:

DivD needs an extension to tonight for me and mrpier to get our game in.

LowKey
21-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Through attrition and superior coaching proxyMaths undead beat my helfs with a comfortable 2-0, very well played that man

Zoraster
21-08-2012, 09:44 AM
So it seems as if Day 1 has ended yesterday. How is the situation with the extensions? I know that Graever and Patser would like a few days extra, what about the other divisions with unplayed games?.

Bar Division M they are all scheduled for today with one possibly going into tomorrow so no worries there. As far as M is concerned Sollitus hasn't replied in the groups thread, but I just checked and it doesn't look like he has joined the group yet. Macavity have you guys been arranging elsewhere?

chadsexington
21-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Solitus is around but just an idiot. I will poke him tonight

President Weasel
21-08-2012, 03:44 PM
/Obligatory grumpy post about organising your games, and how having to play a game every week-and-a-bit shouldn't be a surprise when you sign up to a league that involves playing a game every week and a bit.
Grumble mutter mutter.

LowKey
21-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Stop grumble mutter muttering to yourself old man

Squiz
21-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Stop grumble mutter muttering to yourself old manHe's right, grumble directly at the people who deserve it.

Actually, I'm fine with an extended deadline every now and then but I agree that sometimes a little bit of planning goes a long way to prevent unnecessary delays.

potatoedoughnut
21-08-2012, 04:02 PM
JayTee and I played out div1 match to a 1-1 draw between his Khemri and my Necro.

Things started off well for me and went progressively downhill throughout the match.

JayTee received and I got a blitz result and managed to get a wolf under the ball. There was a big scrum around the ball as JayTee cleared the ball, then failed to pick it up. Eventually I managed some lucky bounced and was able to scoop it up with a wolf and score. At this point a couple zombies had been KOd/injured and a ghoul got a -1agi.

Second Khemri drive they line up and JayTee continues to fail to pickup the ball while some punching ensues. More necros get broken and the half ends 1-0.

I line up to receive with 9 players to the full 11 Khemri. Things continue to go downhill and eventually I'm down to only 5 players on the pitch and JayTee walks it in without too much trouble on T15.

I set up to try a 1ttd with my MV9 wolf with 7 total players on the pitch for me. A pitch invasion makes things difficult, but I manage to arrange the 2 pushes on the wolf to get him in GFI range (thank you sidestep). The other wolf then goes to pick up the ball and fails, the end.

Like I said things started good with the blitz, were pretty ok trading some cas and KO for a TD, then went in the pooper as my mans got injured while failing all sorts of d6 rolls and not breaking any of the juicy av7 of the skeletons.

In sad news the ghoul Joan of Arc II will be retiring. In her distinguished career she played 6 games, got 5 stuns, 2 KOs , injured 3 times, and earned 0 spp. Joan of Arc III will have big shoes to fill.

In similar news I'd also like to note Baron Blitzkrieg ("recruited" from CH) has now gone 21 matches without a single SPP.

JayTee
21-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Clone High (Necro - Potatoedoughnut) vs. The Dead Comic Society (Khemri - Me)

1 - 1

A fairly good reflection of the match in the scoreline, but not a reflection of the casualty line.

First half was Clone High's for sure, with a Blitz on their kickoff giving them the position to put extensive pressure on the Comics. In classic Khemri fashion the Comics spent most of their first drive failing to pick up the ball, not quite reaching their current record of 5 failures in a row but 3 turns of fumbling left the team (and coach!) utterly frustrated. Clone High get the breakthrough they need with some effective chain-blocks and a wolf runs in the TD with minimal faff.

Receiving again the Comics snaffle an extra RR and with 3 turns left to score can potentially level the score, but again the Thro-Ra fluffs the pickup and burns a useful turn. Clone High move to stop the push and despite the Thro-Ra finally finding the ball, the Comics fail to get enough forward momentum to get in range of scoring. A last-minute elfball moment fails when the only player in range to score fails his GFI and re-roll and hits the floor an agonising 1 square from the endzone.

The commiseration from the first half was the casualty line, with the comics battering the Zombies and handing out a -AG to the Ghoul taking a single BH (Which regen-ed) Skeleton in the process.

The second half opened up with a High Kick putting a Wight directly under the ball to a successful catch. Shoving and pushing around the LoS gives Clone High an opportunity but a failed dodge leading to a BH Wight spills the ball into a cluster of Khemri. Despite another fluffed pickup from the Comics, the casualties begin to mount up and the Khemri aided by some unlucky dodges and a crucial KO on a Wolf, break through the lines. A moment of analysis paralysis leaves the Thro-Ra dangling by the endzone with a single GFI with no possible RRs between him and levelling the line, and eventually he romps over to level the scores.

Clone High face up needing a 1TTD to win, and the kick goes to a pitch invasion which stuns 2 of their meagre line but crucially leaves a Wolf up. With some chain pushes Clone High get their Wolf in range, the second Wolf runs in to grab the ball and fails the pickup ending their hopes of a win. The last cast of the dice is a Tomb Guardian managing a Both Down/Skull which ends the match.

Fun match, with some really mixed luck for both teams. Clone High had some good luck with the Blitz and some decent Blocks, but only broke armour a handful of times and fluffed a number of 'simple' Dodges. The Comics had terrible luck with picking up the ball (9 failures in the match, a 1-in-512 result...) but really had the luck with armour rolls almost consistently injuring or KOing Zombies.

Nothing to write home about with the SPPs and MVPs, no player injured, so the Comics go into the next match with a full team.

Fun match, the bashing power of the Tomb Guardians gave me the numbers advantage I needed when the idiot Thro-Ras just couldn't pick up the ball. Man I'd give my left arm for +AG on a Thro-Ra.

Sollitus
21-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Ive tried joining the group but i guess it has to be approved first and me and mac have been using steam to arrange our match....should be later today.

cyberpunkdreams
21-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Through attrition and superior coaching proxyMaths undead beat my helfs with a comfortable 2-0, very well played that man

Well, you're playing my gobbos next, so I hope he gave you a bit of a blooding in the process! ;)

Squiz
21-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Late match report

The Rakish Rodents (Skaven, INinja132) - Rock, Paper, Sneaky Git (Orc, Squirrelfanatic)

To be perfectly honest, I was really surprised to face a team that was ~500TV ahead of mine in this Division, given that

a) the match was played in the lowest tier and
b) my own Orcs are already sitting at 1500TV!

So, 2000TV Skaven then. "Woopiedo", I thought to myself having exptected to see some undeveloped rats on the pitch. "What a pleasant surprise. Good thing that I've got... *going through the team roster* one Tackle player to stop the dodging hordes from rampaging through my defense." So I went into the match with a weird feeling in my guts, the memory of the last meetup with a Skaven team last season still fresh and vivid. Oh, and with a bunch of bribes and Ripper as hired muscles.

After some initial Cyanide-related troubles, INinja and me managed to get a game running, with the RPS crew receiving the kick-off in the first half. I have to say that I was quite lucky with both my Block and my Injury rolls throughout the entire game. The Black Orcs slowly worked through the first Linerats, the Blitzers marked and blitzed reliably, my Thrower managed to pick up the ball without much trouble (well, Sure Hands saved me some time), and even Redox, my Troll, behaved and managed to pin INinjas frightening lvl5 Rat Ogre down.

Throughout the half there were some situations that looked critical to me and several times, the Rodents managed to get one or even two players next to my ballcarrier and pulled off some nice attempts to blitz the ball loose. But in the end, the Orcs were able to maintain formation and grind through the enemies' side of the pitch for a late turn 8 touchdown.

At this point, two rats were already lying in the injury box, right next to a decently filled KO dugout that still housed two players after the halftime. The Orcs began to cheer.

The second half started off with a Blitz event in my favour, showing that Nuffle indeed likes to see people (like, say, Rat Ogres) suffer (like, say, getting pushed into the crowd). This of course didn't make the game any easier for the offense. Nevertheless, the rats' coach kept his cool and kept the ball in his team's possession up until the moment when a ballsy (pun intended) attempt at a 10-squares pass was intercepted by the (t)rusty Blitzer Lambchops who couldn't believe his silly luck.

What followed was a mad dash for the Rodents' TD zone which successfully resulted in a second touchdown for the Orcs in turn 14. Having only two turns left to score at least once, INinja's ratmen put heads together for a moment before setting up for what was to be the last kick-off of the game. An instant later the ball flew in a high arc over the Line of Scrimmage, right off the pitch - touchback. In a final assault, rats piled on the weakest link in the Orcish defense - a pair of loosely connected Blitzers. A quick Blitz and the way was clear for another mad passing play. This time, no Orc was in position for an intercept.

Like a furry Highelf, the Skaven player launched the ball straight across 9 squares into the claws of a fellow rodent - bullseye! One turn later, a quick sprint changed a potential no-score game into the final result of 2-1 for the RPS Allstars.

Thanks for the match INinja, well played. Had I been just a bit less lucky with removing your guys from the pitch, the game might have gone a very different direction.

LowKey
21-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Also i only noticed in game that i spelt renaissance wrong :-(

Heliocentric
21-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Thro-Ras just couldn't pick up the ball. Man I'd give my left arm for +AG on a Thro-Ra.
If you roll a double why not give him an extra left arm.

20phoenix
21-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Khemri dont have mutation access thank the lord

NieA7
21-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Having just lost to NieA7 (damn that final turn touchdown :-) ) with my Lizards, I found that ST4 zombie much harder to deal with than a guard one would have been. It tied up a guard block saurus for most of the game, whereas I'd have happily pushed around a guard one. As I was in the irritating position of having 90 less tv, him having guard instead wouldn't have changed anything there either.

(And as there were 0 KO's all game, the babe was even more useless than usual ...)

I was meaning to write this game up but I never got round to it. A draw would've been a fair result but my Ag4 ghoul had been playing out of his skin all match so I thought a stupid elf-play TD was worth a try - dodge into two tackle zones, pick up in the same, dodge into tackle zone, dodge free and two GFIs. As it turned out I didn't even need a team re-roll: what a guy.

Heliocentric
21-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Oops, mixed up.

mrpier
21-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Me and Dentharial just finished, so Div. D is ready to roll on.

I really like my skaven, they're probably the team I have had the most fun with. Also giving the rat ogre pro was a good decison (today at least).

JayTee
22-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Nothing to write home about with the SPPs and MVPs, no player injured, so the Comics go into the next match with a full team.I lied.

A Tomb Guardian handed out an injury so becomes my second level 4 Tomb Guardian. With Mighty Blow/Guard on him already and a miserable normal roll, it was a toss-up between Stand Firm or Grab. While I've quite liked Grab on my other Mighty Blow/Guard Tomb Guardian, I decide to mix it up a bit and play around with Stand Firm as I find it quite frustrating to play against, so figure it'll be even more annoying on an ST5 Roadblock.

I figure this gives me a Mighty Blow/Guard/Grab player on the LoS for Offence and a Mighty Blow/Guard/Stand Firm player for Defence which sounds quite nice.

20phoenix
22-08-2012, 01:36 PM
I lied.

A Tomb Guardian handed out an injury so becomes my second level 4 Tomb Guardian. With Mighty Blow/Guard on him already and a miserable normal roll, it was a toss-up between Stand Firm or Grab. While I've quite liked Grab on my other Mighty Blow/Guard Tomb Guardian, I decide to mix it up a bit and play around with Stand Firm as I find it quite frustrating to play against, so figure it'll be even more annoying on an ST5 Roadblock.

I figure this gives me a Mighty Blow/Guard/Grab player on the LoS for Offence and a Mighty Blow/Guard/Stand Firm player for Defence which sounds quite nice.

Nice?!!! That sounds horrendous!!

Alistair Hutton
22-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Stand Firm is the pro choice. Two players with Stand Firm and Guard make cage breaking vastly, vastly harder

Stnad Firm is the strength version of Side Step, any time your oponent doesn't roll a knock down you can guarantee they are swearing at the screen.

Heliocentric
22-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Both stand firm and sidestep are hard to justify taking without block/wrestle and dodge. Unless you are ST5 big guy, then it's a pipe dream.

Gorm
22-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Just had my internet drop on the last turn against Zoraster. Think we are going to try and get a rematch in.

potatoedoughnut
22-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Both stand firm and sidestep are hard to justify taking without block/wrestle and dodge. Unless you are ST5 big guy, then it's a pipe dream.

Blodgestep is obviously the best, but just one or the other and SS or SF it is still an annoying combo. Even rookie necro golems with stand firm (and no block or dodge) tend to be quite annoying if you get them in the right place.

It's also good on the LoS or for catchers.

Also, I think wrestle makes SS or SF less good. Typically the advantage is still being on your feet and able to continue being annoying next turn. If you go down SS or SF don't typically help.

MrJoose
22-08-2012, 11:33 PM
A short (no pun intended) match report:

The Bulging Vixens (Amazon, Dissident) - Boatmurdered Athletics FC (Dwarf, MrJoose)

BAFC gave the ladies a warm dwarfy welcome to the league, by straight up murdering one of them as the first action of the first turn. Urist lived up to his family name of McSlayer by continuing this theme throughout the match, leaving a bloody trail across the pitch. The dwarves kept the momentum, pushing deep up the side of the Amazon half, ball safe in the hands of their runner, Urist. Urist and Urist watched his flank, just about holding their own against the waves of scantily clad ladies, and for a moment it looked like an early lead to the dwarves was possible, if not yet likely. Unfortunately for the little guys, the Vixens wizard got a little overexcited at this point, and dropped his flaming ball right on top of Urist, like a teabag from hell. Although it singed a couple ladies, it also knocked the ball clean out of Urists hands. The Vixens seized the opportunity, and cheesed it. Poor little dwarfy legs were unable to keep them up with the ball carrier, so they opted for Plan B: Punches for everybody!

The second half started well for the ladies, with them receiving the ball, punching a neat little hole in the dwarf defences and running through. They slightly overextended themselves however, leaving nothing between the ball-carrier and the murderous Urist. The trollslayer pushed the Vixen off the pitch, and the ball pinged back into dwarf hands. With a slight numbers advantage, and the Vixens mostly committed to the now empty cage, the dwarves cleared a path through the centre, with Urist carrying the ball over the line for a late game draw. With only a couple of turns left each, the handful of remaining vixens received the ball, but fumbled their first attempt to pick it up! Seeing a potential for a last minute save, the dwarves surged down the field, but despite the best efforts of Urist, Urist, and even Urist, the ladies managed to protect the ball long enough for the turn counters to run out, leaving the final result 1-1.

Thanks for the fun game Dissident! Hope my "Murder time, fun time" dwarves haven't put you off :)

Heliocentric
22-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Also, I think wrestle makes SS or SF less good.

Wrestle can be less useful, but when you are marking a blitzing capable ball holder? menacing.

Dissident
23-08-2012, 12:24 AM
The Bulging Vixens (Amazon, Dissident) - Boatmurdered Athletics FC (Dwarf, MrJoose)
(1 - 1)

Second match, second 1-1 draw.
Being my first time coaching a team in the league of deadly death (and anywhere to be honest) I was expecting to take a beating every single match but apparently luck has been on my side. Unfortunately one of my gorgeous blitzers can't say the same.
First tackle from Urist McSlayer and that's death from below for Alkaia. Even the apothecary's dark magic couldn't revive her - that's how dead she was. Maybe that'll teach the others not to come to the deathly league of death with only the lady parts covered.

The match moved on and the dwarves started carrying the ball down the pitch until eventually the amazons managed to pin down the ball carrier on the side line. I thought we were going to make it, we were going to steal the ball and make way to a safer zone, and maybe even score! Oh how wrong I was... A bunch of dwarves came running down the pitch and wrecked havoc on my defensive line. The ball carrier was free again.
However, at the exact right moment when it was most needed, a mysterious entity revealed itself... Is it a bird? Is it a gyrocopter? No! It's the WIZARD!!! coming to the rescue again! A misplaced click on the pitch and balls of fire started to rain from heaven knocking down both dwarves and amazons alike! The ball was finally loose and Doris The Seducer didn't hesitate. She grabbed the ball and ran like hell with her beautiful long legs for two turns all the way to the dwarves touchline.

1-0. By this time the Vixens had 1 dead, 1 sent-off and 3 KO'd which meant not enough ladies to assemble a starting team.
Luckily half-time was one turn away and I managed to get a healthy starting 11 for the second half.

Second half starts and the amazons receive.
Tried to pick-up the ball, and failed. TURNOVER. Dwarves move.
Tried to pick-up the ball, and failed. "The Dwarves are closing in, better spend my single reroll". Success! Managed to get the ball down the pitch to the carrier with a short pass and with the supporting linewomans and blitzers in place they allowed her to run through the dwarves defensive line. However I was a bit too ambitious and ordered Akantha to move a tad too far and got punished for it. Urist McKill managed to break the line by dodging and after just a harmless push he frenzied and tackled her off the pitch.

From here on until the dwarfs scored the equalizer (1-1) it was just pain and misery: two more injuries to the amazons side and a couple of KO's.
My lovely vixens were in shambles. Completely torn, in pain and demoralized they went to receive again. This time we were going to stay put. Two turns to go and we almost didn't make it. After another failed pick-up the dwarfs moved close enough to be menacing, but all in all the only thing to tell from those last turns was that a dwarf went home with a pinched nerve.
A minor joy on a dark day for the Vixens.

You will be missed Alkaia Pleiades. RIP.

---------------------------------------------

Thanks for the game Joose. It was deadly fun. ;)

Skydancer
23-08-2012, 12:49 AM
I'm seriously considering giving stand firm to all my mummies as a second skill (after guard).

ntw
23-08-2012, 08:54 AM
@ Dissident - I have learnt to try and save pickup attempts until the end of my turn, you'd be surprised how often a 3+ pickup with reroll fails...

Heliocentric
23-08-2012, 09:03 AM
@ Dissident - I have learnt to try and save pickup attempts until the end of my turn, you'd be surprised how often a 3+ pickup with reroll fails...

33% of the time? Oh, with rerolls, so about 11%? I know what you mean, 3+ should be super safe 1 in 9 fail rate, but yet I think I had just as much luck picking up the ball with zombies and their 50->75% rates... Funny old game.

Dissident
23-08-2012, 09:17 AM

I did. But it sounded more dramatic written this way. ;)
Still, when you set up your offense and miss the pickup it can send all your plans down the toilet and leave you in a very fragile position. My successful pickup was still on time to do what I wanted though I had to waste the reroll.

ntw
23-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Agathis Avengers (WElf, AgP) vs Insert Witty Team Name Here (Ska, ntw)

IWTNH gave away ~300 points in incentives allowing AA to hire JodrellBloody Freshbreeze* (sp?) to go with the 2 Journeymen they had to recruit in order to field a full team.

IWTNH win the toss and choose to receive, within a turn or two Jordell Fancypants* is KO-ed and the Rats start to find gaps in the WElf armour, this continues for a few more turns then suddenly the armour and injury dice switch loyalty and Rats start to drop. Deciding on a safe TD, IWTNH run in a score with 2 turns left on the clock.

Agathis Avengers 0 - 1 Insert Witty Team Name Here

AA receive and the thrower drops back to their TD line while Catchers push forwards. IWTNH respond by managing to get a ManRunner (it's a GutterRunner, but with the STRENGTH OF A MAN!) deep to mark the Thrower. ElfBall is declared and with a depressingly easy series of rolls, the Thrower dodges away, runs upfield, completes a short pass to a Runner who runs further upfield and hands off to another Runner, who dodges away and GFIs into the endzone to tie the score at the half.

Agathis Avengers 1 - 1 Insert Witty Team Name Here

Half Time

AA receive again to start the second half, the armour and injury dice switch their loyalty back and Elfs start falling over. AA push forwards but IWTNH are able to pop the ball free and run upfield to run down some time by the endzone. A few turns are banked before AA manage to get an unlikely tackle on the carrier, luckily it is only a push, unluckily IWTNH take too long deciding whether to SideStep and stay in play or take the safe pushback into the endzone for a score and the game decides a score was desired (NO COUNTDOWN CLOCK - WTF???).

Agathis Avengers 1 - 2 Insert Witty Team Name Here

Again AA receive and drop their Thrower right back, this time with an escort. Jorderelle Fartbreeze* and a Catcher break through to threaten a last second score. IWTNH knock down the catcher and surround Gordel Finkelstein*, but everyone knows what is coming next... A decent blitz slightly reduces the coverage on Gordon Fishandbees* and suddenly ElfBall as the Thrower runs upfield, passes to Gitface Fuckerbooze*, a ManRunner fails an interception and Jordan Filthyboobs* catches despite having 2 markers, then leaps over a marker and dodges away to score in the dying seconds of the game, the whole thing requiring only another depressingly easy and short series of rolls.

Final Score

Agathis Avengers 2 - 2 Insert Witty Team Name Here

My RatOgre played very well, despite Wild Animal-ing 2 of the first 3 turns and then occasionally afterwards. My rookie StormVermin picked up a disappointing (but not career ending) -1AG. I made a few mistakes with positioning, but had quite a lot of luck with injuries (until the luck changed suddenly!). AgP was a great opponent and remained friendly and chatty throughout a real rollercoaster of a game. I'm a bit annoyed about the SideStep fiasco and just how easy it was for the WElfs to score, I'm also tired and may have mis-remembered some of the details since we didn't finish until ~2:30am and then I had to get up for work at 6:30am.

* All of these are the same person, just incase anyone is at all confused by my increasingly random interpretations and misspellings of his name

ntw
23-08-2012, 09:31 AM
I did. But it sounded more dramatic written this way. ;)
Still, when you set up your offense and miss the pickup it can send all your plans down the toilet and leave you in a very fragile position. My successful pickup was still on time to do what I wanted though I had to waste the reroll.

Aha, poetic license. :)

@ Helio - there is no such thing as SuperSafe in BB I have decided.

/edit - DivC validated and rolled on ;)

20phoenix
23-08-2012, 01:45 PM
The real challenge on your first turn is ensuring you push far enough forward for your gameplan to work while at the same time ensuring the ball is protected in case of fuck ups along the way. Its a tricky thing to judge!

Indefatigible Snoozer
24-08-2012, 10:48 AM
DIVISION OF CHAOS (and one dwarf) - Day 2: The Dwarven Giants (Dwarves, Snoozer) vs Cute Harmless Hippies (Chaos, Jarvis)

The dwarves continue their valiant crusade against the forces of Chaos, wading knee-, err, shoulder-high through Chaotic blood to secure victory.

Electing to receive in order to start punchin' early paid off, as the first 3 blocks of the match seriously concussed one Chaos Warrior and stunned another. A melee ensued, with Jarvis's really annoying Str 5 tentacled Warrior worrying the Dwarven centre for a few turns. But another beatman CAS opened up a hole in the centre, allowing the dwarves to form a cage a few squares into the Chaotic half of the pitch, while the rest of the team tied up Jarvis's players. A couple of heroic 2D-against blocks into the cage from the leaping, long-legged beastman worried the dwarves sufficiently that they decided only to stall until Turn 5, giving the Chaosmans 4 turns to even the score. It was not meant to be, however, with the dwarves forming a solid wall of dwarf-flesh, leaving the Chaos team no route through. The Chaos drive petered out, with teams trading gang fouls on turn 8 (no doubt inspired by Helio).

The second half was another grind for the Chaos Team, with the dwarf line retreating before the cage only a single square each turn for the first 5 turns, and one dwarf resolutely refusing to have his armour broken, despite receiving 3 blitzes from the nasty claw CW. With the end of the match approaching, Jarvis left his Str 5 monster (who was a forward cage corner) in base contact at the end of turn 5, hoping the dwarves would take the bait and open up a hole as they drew-in dwarves to support a block. The dwarves saw the opportunity, blocked down the monster with support, and my AG 5 runner dodged into two tackle zones to knock the ball free. An unfortunate failed dodge in Jarvis's next turn meant the ball remained un-marked, and the dwarves promptly blocked free the two runners, who scooped up the ball and managed to score on turn 16 after a successful hand-off. Final score: 2-0 to the Giants.

Thanks for the game Jarvis. Onward to the final confrontation with the forces of CHAOS!

President Weasel
24-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Hmm. I need to beat Janek to stay up? Is that what it's come to?

laneford
24-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Has anyone seen 'Hands around the way?

20phoenix
24-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Has anyone seen 'Hands around the way?

No - i'm also on the lookout for him as he's due to give me a kicking in the open.

sketchseven
24-08-2012, 09:26 PM
DarkWeeble and I have played out Division I match; 2 - 1 victory for the Scholars, with Morg'n'Thorg doing his usual trick of double-skulls-lonering himself into the pitch, luckily without injury. Morg evened out the strength balance of the two Goblin Trolls

Early pressure pushed the Goblin team into scoring after a very short drive (and thus having their Fanatic and Chainsaw ejected for little effect), and the Scholars came back to equalise before half time - with the Bombardier doing little except blowing himself up. The return drive was also memorable for the clash between Eeza Big'Un and one of the Goblin's Trolls, where mutual headbutts were exchanged (double Both Down rerolled to double Both Down) that saw the Troll go down Badly Hurt and the Ogre knocked out. The Troll proceeded to fail his regen and things were looking up for the Scholars.

DarkWeeble was a gent to play against, and was in with a shout of a draw, before a Sure-footed Pogoist managed to fail his GFI even with Sure Feet, and some lucky elfball from the Scholars saw the ball bundled out of the scrum and thrown to a lone blitzer who promptly dropped the perfect pass thrown out of the middle of the scrum by a lowly lineman (2 critical 6s to pick up and throw, with a critical failure on the interception from the Goblins, then he fails a 3+ catch - no bonus for that gentleman).

EDIT: Can a kindly admin please validate this match?

Macavity
24-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Khornes Killers 1 Red Hot Pokers 3

A mixture of shit play, nuffle and failed armour rolls has laid me low.

First half opened with a touch back to cage from the boys in blood, and a heavy blocking charge up the right wing for a turn three try. This is good, I thought. This is good.

Deep kick to centre led to an assasin witch elf running/passing play. I tried to break a loose cage with my mino who went wild on me and stood there looking dumb, allowing the ball to pass through a gap and a lone line man to break away. Tried to free up a chaser to blitz him down and double skulled for a turnover leading to a turn six try for the pointies.

Ah well, I thought, I'll make it physical, and lined up for some big hits - only two turns to stall and I was receiveing... blitz rolled and suddenly the ball is deep in my half with 4 opposing linemen also deep in my half and the big red machine set up on the scrum line to get nasty. Try to make a block to free someone to run back. double both down for turnover. first half - 2-1 to the pointys. the second try tasted of ashes.

The second half I made less notes - I conceded an early try, then caged up around my mino who got the ball from a touchback. Ground forward a bit then with two turns to go solitus double skulled giving me a caged posession up the right wing within scoring distance (if I could make a marked handover and a double go for it with no rerolls). Shoved his witch elf out of the way, made the hand off, failed the first GFI and that was the end of the match.

In spite of throwing something like 40 blocks I broke armour *twice* for two stuns. The only injury was a broken ankle on an elf who tripped over. Blood for the blood... meh. forget it.

Solitus - thanks for an awesome match- it was a pleasure loosing to you. You got so many SPP's I don't want to see you again ...

Jolima
24-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Division M moved on to round 2 and sketchseven vs DarkWeeble validated.

Wolfenswan
24-08-2012, 10:15 PM
The Division I game of Deesno's/Cacama's HElfs (The Top Brass) and my WElfs (Soviet Kazakh Chairmen) ended with a suprising 2-3 victory for the treehuggers.

With a TV difference of nearly their own TV value the WElfs got 750k in inducements which they spent on 2 ReRolls, Eldril and Morg. A Wizard and Babes would have been the sane choice but who chooses sanity over MORGNTHORG?!

Against his myriad of skills I had only my wardancers, my catcher (BH in the first half) and the two stars. The only level-gained skill I had was strip ball on my Wardancer. The HElf's longpass game was always bullseye and deadly so I played as aggressive as I could. My strip ball wardancer leapt into his cages as if she had AV9 and helped me to at least two touchdowns. On the Star-side Eldril didn't fail a single gaze while Morg was pushing guys around gently for most of the time.

The first attempt at the game was cyanided but had seen a though pitch invasion (nearly all of the Chairmen including Morg stunned) and a risky touchdown for the WElfs at turn 3.

In the second attempt some failed dodges on the HElf's part helped me to take the lead with 2-1 after the first half. Deesno managed to equalize in turn 12 after i gave away a sure touchdown to try a crowdpush with no tactical value whatsoever. My pushing mercenary rolled double both down and naturally failed the reroll which cost me both the turn and the touchdown.

Only by great luck I managed a two turn touchdown in the last turns of the match. While the remaining wardancer had broken through the HElf lines, a lino failed the pickup and for a turn it looked like Deesno would be able to capitalize on it as he had gotten a (BlodgeStepping) catcher through and picked up the ball. Luckily I rolled a POW, the ball bounced out of tackle zones, a lino picked it up, passed it to eldril (catch rerolled) who gave it to the Wardancer. A quick dash into the opposing zone secured my 3-2 victory.

Overall a very fun game and despite some bad dice I fealt no one was being majorly nuffled. Morg wasn't worth his money AT ALL but it was fun having him around.

Dentharial
26-08-2012, 12:03 PM
There'll be no poetry this season due to a higher than usual workload combined with family business and a dash of Guild Wars. Also, there's probably a few details in this report that are wrong, since I don't remember it too clearly.

Week 1 Div D:

Da Blu Moonz (Orcs, Dentharial) VS Rattatatz (Skaven, mrpier)

The dog-faced rats win the toss and opt to kick to an orc team that is cautiously trying the idea of placing their troll on the line to hand out some beatings. The skaven give away a whopping 490K of inducements which get spent on a wizard, 2 more rerolls and a babe (and there must have been something else that I forget), none of which will have much impact on the match.

The orcs manage to grab the ball with a thrower and get him into a cage, and begin to go to work on thinning the rats' numbers...which utterly fails. This pattern continues for several more turns, with the rats even managing to score a few KOs, and eventually knocking the ball to the ground, attempting a pass, and utterly fumbling it. Nonetheless, the orcs just can't create the space they need to really move forward, and before the half closes out, the rats are able to grab the ball again, and run it up the pitch to score. There's a couple of turns left before the half time whistle, during which the orcs finally manage to get a handful of rats off the pitch, both KOs and a couple of injuries, but there's just not enough time to really do anything.

After the restart, all the KO'd orcs have woken up, but the Moonz have to wrest the ball away from the significantly more skilled Rattatatz, a feat that proves too tough despite yet another fumbled pass. Another score, another lineup. Despite receiving, there are only 4 or 5 turns left on the clock, and so the orcs have to move relatively quickly to get up the pitch, and the skaven are just too agile at slowing the cage down. Somewhere in the middle there's yet another freeing of the ball, and another fumbled pass, and sooner rather than later the orcs succumb to just trying to beat down the rats rather than push for a risky consolation touchdown.

Final score: Rattatatz 2 - 0 Da Blu Moonz

While I did feel quite crushed during the game, as it frequently felt like it was out of my control, on reflection the main problem was just there was such a difference in development between the teams. The Skaven were covered in Dodge, Sidestep and boosted stats, while the Orcs had only a single Tackle between them, plus Block on the ball-carrying Throwers and some Mighty Blow on the Blitzers and a single Black Orc.

All in all, I'm actually surprised I made it out with as low a scoreline as I did, and if mrpier had been a little luckier with those passes, or tried more running rather than throwing, I might have taken a much worse beating.

President Weasel
26-08-2012, 01:19 PM
A trick that might help you when playing against skaven teams is to tell the opposing player that if he puts any gutter runner anywhere near you, you'll break it. It's hard to do when they're usually blodgy sidesteppers, but they only have strength 2 so 2 assists on a str3 player will get you 3 dice to try to get the elusive pow. When you do get one down, ignore the ball and stamp on its face.

This ought to reign in the swashbuckling, gunners everywhere, skaven play that orcs find so hard to deal with - change the equation from "how do I get the ball" to "how do I keep my three remaining precious gutter runners safe".

JayTee
26-08-2012, 02:55 PM
The Dead Comic Society (Khemri - Me) vs. Dead Can-Can (Undead - Mr Dragon)

0 - 1

All I can say is I got totally fucked by the dice. By halfway into the first drive Dragon had handed out 5 KOs and a Badly Hurt (Not regen-ed) and I'd failed to do anything in return, so despite some heroics (A dodge, 1D blitz, successful pickup and 2 GFIs from a Blitz-Ra) the first half ground its way down to a 0-0 draw.

Then the sweltering heat kicks in and both teams lose 1 player, only 2 of my KOs wake up, and I'm left fielding 9 players including my backup-backup-backup skeleton who's less-than-useless. The weather changes back to Blizzard, removing my chances of Dragon rolling 11 1s for Sweltering Heat and the inevitable happens. Thanks to yet more KOs, another BH (Not regen-ed), and being seemingly made of Adamantium Dragon was able to stall with the ball by the touchline until the last possible moment.

An impossible 1TTD is the only way I can salvage a draw, but a Riot puts the clock back a turn giving me 2 turns to score which is just about possible thanks to some lucky positions and a useful kick. The Thro-ra makes the pickup, successfully passes to a Blitz-Ra who amazingly catches the ball, runs up the field...

FUCKING NUFFLE

Snake-eyes on the GFI. Sigh. Utterly, utterly miserable.

Blood Bowl is a stupid game.

On the bright side no permanent injuries, a Tomb Guardian got level 3, and MVP makes my crapass backup-backup-backup Skeleton slightly less crapass as he's level 2. That's 6 out of the last 7 MVPs that have landed on my bench skeletons. Great...

Everblue
26-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Division K - Doomdark's Revenge 1-1 Death Vengeance of Doom

A close fought draw, with the chaos team falling agonisingly short of snatching a last minute win. Full report on my blog in due course, but since I got another skill level on a chaos warrior I would be most extremeliest grateful for a validation in due course (fingers crossed for another ST5!).

somanyrobots
27-08-2012, 02:14 AM
Dentharial and I played our match this morning with only 10 TV separating us. The Lycanthropes received the kick, and started off caging up the left side, avoiding the orcs' 5-man LoS. The orcs didn't close down very quickly (with that massive LoS pinned by its three zombie opponents), and my ball carrier was able to make it quite far upfield, within scoring distance. But he was brought down, and the ball picked up by an orcish thrower. A few quick necro blocks got the thrower surrounded, though, and Dentharial decided to declare ELFBAAAAALLL. His thrower dodged away and made a medium pass (which the catcher dropped). I got some players onto the ball, and a ghoul picked it up; but I'd lost a lot of field position, and the ball was now adjacent to lots of big, bashy orcs. Orcs who promptly knocked it loose and surrounded the ball themselves. Da Blu Moonz eventually picked it up, but the carrier wound up next to some necros; he failed his dodge, died, and was APO'd to MNG. At which point another orc picked it up, but now had three necros marking him. He too failed his dodge, dropped the ball, and one of my ghouls recovered, running it in for a turn 8 TD. 1-0.

The orcs collected the ball handily in the second half, and set up for a center-field cage. But my attackers pushed in the corners, and a lucky block cut one of Dentharial's turns short, letting me surround and bring down the ball carrier. The ball then bounced over to some orcs, who picked it up again; but failed to dodge away, and lost it again. This was early in Dentharial's turn, before he'd stood up his downed orcs, which gave my necros a cakewalk knocking down all the rest. Another short turn let me get more hits in, recover the ball, hand it to a werewolf, and score again, 2-0.

With two turns left, I had good enough luck to roll a Blitz! Sent a ghoul, WW, and wight screaming upfield to get the ball. Dentharial responded in elfy fashion by picking up the ball effortlessly, passing it away, and charging up the other side of the field. I'd actually emptied my backfield enough that there was a real risk of the orcs' pulling off a two-turner; but then I knocked down the ball carrier, and it got picked up by a black orc instead. Who then failed his handoff, denying Dentharial his chance. I managed an extremely complicated series of knockdowns, to try for my own ELFBAAALL turn-16 touchdown; but it was not to be.

Da Blu Moonz 0 - 2 Lucky Lycanthropes.

An excellent match! Good fun all around, and a thrilling game thanks to the constant back-and-forth (and up-and-down) of the ball. My thanks to Dentharial, who was great fun as an opponent.

Zenohero
27-08-2012, 02:56 AM
A trick that might help you when playing against skaven teams is to tell the opposing player that if he puts any gutter runner anywhere near you, you'll break it. It's hard to do when they're usually blodgy sidesteppers, but they only have strength 2 so 2 assists on a str3 player will get you 3 dice to try to get the elusive pow. When you do get one down, ignore the ball and stamp on its face.

This ought to reign in the swashbuckling, gunners everywhere, skaven play that orcs find so hard to deal with - change the equation from "how do I get the ball" to "how do I keep my three remaining precious gutter runners safe".

As a skaven player, I find this true and utterly offensive. So what if they are fast moving bastards, that gives you no right to discriminate against our lovely and deadly lineman who deserve your undivided attention :D

chadsexington
27-08-2012, 04:42 AM
As a skaven player, I find this true and utterly offensive. So what if they are fast moving bastards, that gives you no right to discriminate against our lovely and deadly lineman who deserve your undivided attention :D

I found the best luck was to focus on every rat on the pitch

smaug81
27-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Div B: Irrelevant Illnesses (Nur, me) 1 - 2 Masquerade Ballers (Elf, The Brain)

Welp, The Brain just elfed out a last minute win in typical prancing pansy fashion. After a fairly conservative first half in which he avoided the usual high speed play in favor of a slower running game, he used his final two turns of the match for a disturbingly easy TD in spite of a Pestigor heroically intercepting his first attempt at the game winning pass. And this in spite of his team having been reduced to 4 players on the pitch during my preceding second half drive, as well. Sadly, too many of those were KOs and too few were real injuries. And after all the effort I went to for the tie, too.

Oh well. On the bright side, my last remaining unskilled Warrior finally got MVP and his first skill. 'Twas a fun match, and well played on both sides, I think. I just lack the means to deal with blodgestepping bastards. All in good time. . .

The Brain
27-08-2012, 10:40 PM
To be honest, I never expected that last play to work. When the pass was intercepted I thought that was it. My blitzers are far and away my star players. Their sidestepping blodge ways have pulled me through on a number of occasions now. I'm also really pleased to come away from this match with no injuries worth talking about. The point where six of my players were sleeping soundly on the sidelines was frustrating but lets me go into my next match with more than 11 players. That's the first time in the six or so months I've been playing in the DoD that I'll be able to have any subs. Smaug was a delight to play against and took the last minute elfy play with good humour. Now it's time to face Huttons Horrible Humans!

somanyrobots
28-08-2012, 12:07 AM
A trick that might help you when playing against skaven teams is to tell the opposing player that if he puts any gutter runner anywhere near you, you'll break it.

I may try this against mrpier's team next match, given his frightening TV and Dentharial's wild-eyed warnings about slippery rat-demons. My rookie werewolf pricks up his ears at the thought of sharpening his fangs on some rat-bones.

smaug81
28-08-2012, 01:29 AM
My blitzers are far and away my star players. Their sidestepping blodge ways have pulled me through on a number of occasions now.

Those blitzers really are incredibly annoying. The three catchers with Guard were nothing to sneeze at, either, although at least somewhat easier to clear away. One of these days I may have to try a team with more agility access, just so I can experience some of that myself.

Kapouille
28-08-2012, 10:53 AM
After 16 skill rolls, I finally rolled my first double : Moss Shrubless, Treeman, gained block! Yay!

President Weasel
28-08-2012, 11:30 AM
I may try this against mrpier's team next match, given his frightening TV and Dentharial's wild-eyed warnings about slippery rat-demons. My rookie werewolf pricks up his ears at the thought of sharpening his fangs on some rat-bones.

You definitely want to try to isolate one of them and get two assists then; if you're planning to put frenzy and no block up against block, you'll want three dice.

Wolfenswan
28-08-2012, 11:35 AM
I could also lend you one of my WElfs, they smash like MB+C+PO against skaven for some reason (just ask Mr. Weasel)

mrpier
28-08-2012, 11:42 AM

Rookie werewolf you say? Interesting, I'll make a note of that. If I have a full team next match, maybe I can afford a couple of fouls. :-p

The Brain
28-08-2012, 07:41 PM
The three catchers with Guard were nothing to sneeze at, either, although at least somewhat easier to clear away.

I'm planning to turn them into sidestepping blodge bastards too if they ever get that far. I still haven't had ANY stat ups yet which makes me think they have all been taken by some other Elf team. Not naming names or anything.

Gorm
28-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Got my rematch in vs Zoraster tonight. His halflings managed to beat my skaven 2-1, but i did get three level ups from it so its not all bad. A dead rat ogre though :(. Didnt bother trying to apoth him, i might buy another one at some point might not.

Kapouille
28-08-2012, 10:28 PM
A dead rat ogre though :(.

So you finally decided to buy one... And he's gone :P

Gorm
28-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Yea he survived about 3 games i think. Totally not worth it.

President Weasel
29-08-2012, 12:30 AM
I love the rat ogre and hate the minotaur: despite their similarities the teams they are on make them entirely different propositions. I think a rat ogre helps a skaven team while a mino hinders a chaos one.

Heliocentric
29-08-2012, 12:39 AM
I love the rat ogre and hate the minotaur: despite their similarities the teams they are on make them entirely different propositions. I think a rat ogre helps a skaven team while a mino hinders a chaos one.
Funny thing, a Mino is better than Nurgle beast, but again within the context of the team I find the the beast is flawless.I guess it is more reliable when it comes to "just standing up".

Eard
29-08-2012, 02:35 AM
Pinged Macavity on steam, but g/f family emergency has come up, no way I'll be able to get our game in before deadline. Fine with the forfeit to him

chadsexington
29-08-2012, 02:48 AM
Skydancer and I played out Div G match tonight.

Skydancer Khemri vs Chadsexington Norse

----
1st Half
----

Skydancer comes in minus one block TG while I come in with a full compliment. Each of us has strength-ups (thro-ra vs lineman/blitzer) and a spare.

Skydancer wins toss and elects to receive. I place my front line in the hopes that he'll mash through with his TGs and give me a few free hits. He doesn't take the bait and lines up just skele's to match my linemen.

Kick is off, short, right by the line and already marked by one of my LoS linemen. Bonus for skydancer gives him an extra reroll.

Skydancer makes short work of my front line, forms a cage, scoops the ball without a problem, and retreats into the cage.

The cage slowly grinds forwards but does not make a lot of progress. The norse are well positioned but not within easy striking distance.

The two teams spend a few turns trading hits but Skydancer is not making much progress. A series of hero-one die frenzy blocks leads to a double against one of the corner cage TGs, opening up a wide area. The norse mash in around the empty spaces as much as possible, but are unable to position their yeti, as he is kept busy by a single skeleton.

The norse score a temporary break and surf the +1ST throw-ra. Its very short lived as the wolf who pushed him out is pushed out himself and injured with a temporary case of being dead. An apoth fixes that, however.

The next turn the norse get a reprieve by knocking a blitz-ra into the ballcarrying throw-ra into the range of a yeti, who knocks him on his ass, and out. Skydancer's Khemri now have no real ball carriers to their name and have only two turns to get a TD. As a bonus they also manage to straight up kill Skydancer's Tackle blitz-ra. That felt good.

Skydancer gets a few lucky injury rolls and KO's half my team and injures my other wolf all within two turns. The match - previously looking like a lock after the first half, quickly turned into a dicey proposal if I did not get good recovery rolls.

My yeti finally gets a chance to redeem himself and use that claw+MB+frenzy to get some hits on a TG. He scores the first one as a push and the second as a both down. "Hey, I figure, I've got CLAW+MB, this could be good". Yes, it was good, for skydancer, as my yeti is KO'd. Useless POS.

Skydancer manages to pick up the ball with a blitz-ra, runs his full movement, and perfect passes it to a skeleton who blows the catch. Thankfully the ball lands just to his left and he doesn't have enough movement to pick it up AND run it in.

----
2nd Half
----

Second half starts with 10 Khemri vs 8 Norse. Not too bad, I think, maybe do-able. Things quickly turn for the worse as I start losing more players to knockouts. I'm down a yeti, my +1ST blitzer, and two linemen at this point.

And I blow the pickup.

Next turn I lose another lineman and Skydancer starts putting pressure on my half-dozen team members, all smushed up around the right side.

I start turn 12 (13?) with all my players in contact with at least one of Skydancer's khemri, and all of them are double against blocks, thanks to two guarding skeletons and a guard TG.

I start pushing everyone away with dodges and lucky one die blocks. I manage to get an incredibly lucky series of rolls which allows my sidestepping blodger (who managed to pick up the ball) to run up the left sideline, including two GFI without rerolls. Thankfully he is now out of range of any unmarked khemri.

Skydancers agression is working against him now as he only has two players anywhere near my runner, a skele and a TG, and neither can get a hit this turn.

Skydancer takes out some anger by pounding the various markers i've left behind - at this point I remarked that it didn't really matter that all my players have block cause he seems to always get that POW. He laughs as his block skele gets a bothdown against my non-block wolf.

So my ballcarrying blodging sidestepping runner beelines straight up the sidelines, including two more GFIs to force the TG to make one to mark, two to hit.

Skydancer chooses only to mark with the TG and attack my blodging ballcarrier with an unskilled skele ... and gets a POW. And an injury. -1 AV. Crapitty crap crap crap.

The ball lands out of bounds and starts bouncing around wildly, eventually landing near the LoS. Skydancer has two turns to get a TD and it looks like he *might* pull it off. He's moved up a thro-ra to within 1 turn of a TD and only needs to make a pickup to handoff. He fails.

I promptly skull out, giving skydancer one last chance to run it in, provided he can make the pickup with his blitzra, hand off to a skeleton, run the full movement, and throw to the thro-ra.

Aaaaanad, no, he fails. I would have banged my head against the wall in frustration if he had actually made that with the khemri.

Skydancer's Khemri 0 - Chadsexington's Norse - 0.

GG Skydancer, t'was a fun game. I hope you name your next blitz-ra after me

Skydancer
29-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Heh, that blitz-ra pass (accurate!) to the skeleton was on the 7th turn! On the second half I blew a handoff with the same blitz-ra.
I admit I didn't know what I was doing trying to get a side cage against four frenzy players in the first half, I guess I got what I deserved (plus that effing blodge ss runner always around)!
I had a lot of fun bashing and getting bashed around the pitch, we had some tense moments and I got two skillups (one of the guard skellies and the other blitz-ra - which will get tackle! Lol!). Cheers, mate.

Screwie
29-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Aggressive Negotiation (Liz, Karanraz) vs Dread Pool (DElf, me)

With 2 deaths (including one of my disreputable guard bastards) and 1 MNG, I was going into this match outnumbered and as the underdog for the first time in a long time. Despite my misfortunes I was still 11-strong so I hired a lineman for a sub and still had enough inducements for an apoth and a babe.

Karandraz' team was full of level 4+ players, including a ton of Mighty Blow and a pair of skinks with MA boosts and sprint. I was expecting both the scoreline and the casualty race to get away from me quickly. However... he only had five skinks, and I immediately knew to take 1-2 of those out would be the key to my gameplan. As a bonus, a couple of his saurus were pretty banged up - one had ST3, another had a niggle - and he only had one Guard player on the whole team. If I could tie that guy up...

In the end it turned into a bit of a rout. Karandraz had some really bad luck on the block die and didn't get to land nearly as many Mighty Blows as he should have. He failed a couple of crucial Break Tackle rolls. Meanwhile I kept his sole Guard occupied most of the match with a lineman punching bag, and deprived his half-cages of that much needed support that would have prevented me from getting all those 2D blocks on the skink ball carriers.

I never broke the armour to good effect on the saurus, and the only gang foul opportunity I had on his MA 9 player was on turn 8, when I also had the option to get 2-0 ahead. I took the TD, and then scored again in the second half anyway.

Final Score: 3-0 to the Pool.

Injuries:
The Pool - just one BH on one of my guard bastards. I never used either of my apothecaries.
Negotiation - one rookie skink dead, one not-so-rookie skink took a -1 AV (which the apoth helpfully rerolled to dead). The really speedy ones escapes unharmed, though.

groovychainsaw
29-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Quick reminder chaps, week 2 ends tomorrow! (Also, I'm back from hols. Was nice!)

President Weasel
29-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Welcome back!
And that's good timing, since I am scheduled to play Janek this evening.

Gorm
29-08-2012, 11:14 AM
What would people suggest for a stormvermin who has +1 st, block, tackle, mighty blow? On a normal roll. They get general and strength access.

Or for a gutterrunner with block, dodge, sidestep? On a normal roll. They get general and agi.

Jiiiiim
29-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Personally I'd get guard on that vermin - the extra strength will make him hard to shift. Another alternative would be stand firm for the same reason. Stand firm plus tackle would make him extra annoying at marking a small, dodgy thing.

For the gutter runner you could consider diving tackle, or fend, depending on whether you want him to defend or be safe. Fend plus sidestep is super annoying to blitz.

mrpier
29-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Guard is always nice, for a more offensive punch give him frenzy and make the sidelines unsafe, less appealing maybe if you already got a rat ogre.

Everblue
29-08-2012, 12:05 PM
GC - Welcome back from hols. You will be delighted to hear that matters are hotting up in Group K, where three of the four teams could still clinch promotion - Wink vs Dissident will be the headline event, where I am hoping for Dissident's battered birds to grab an unlikely win, which will grant me promotion if I can somehow beat Joose's dwarves by about 3 points.

JayTee
29-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Or you could make the 'vermin a murderer with Piling On and hope for a double to get Claw?

President Weasel
29-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Guard is always nice, for a more offensive punch give him frenzy and make the sidelines unsafe, less appealing maybe if you already got a rat ogre.

I'm with Pier. Stand Firm is great too, but as a second skill to frenzy. Frenzy gives you twice the chances to hurt the enemy, and makes the opponent fear the sidelines.

Guard is always a good choice, especially as one of the only three players on the team with normal roll access to it.

20phoenix
29-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Take the guard on the stormvermin. Your linerats rarely stay alive long enough to hang onto it should they roll doubles so stormvermin are the most likely ones to have it.

I'd go with Jiiiiiiim on the gutter choices too. In fact I could have shortened this post into " I agree with Jiiiim"

20phoenix
29-08-2012, 01:24 PM
May or may not need an extension for my game against Alistair. I've got another private league game at 7pm tonight but free from 9pm. Not available at all tomorrow so it depends on Mr Huttons schedule

Alistair Hutton
29-08-2012, 03:19 PM
May or may not need an extension for my game against Alistair. I've got another private league game at 7pm tonight but free from 9pm. Not available at all tomorrow so it depends on Mr Huttons schedule

That's too late a start for me tonight on short notice. Given that you aren't free tomorrow we should default the game to not hold up the league.

EDIT: BTW 2 (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/member.php?7235-20phoenix)0pheonix do you know there is a community group with sub forums for organising the games? I haven't seen you posting in the Division B board.

potatoedoughnut
29-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Yup - Guard on the stormvermin (SF is a good followup) and DT on the gutter (shadowing is a good followup).

Xenny
29-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Hey... DeekyFun and I are going to need an extension of a day or two I think.

ChainsawHands
29-08-2012, 03:57 PM
EDIT: BTW 2 (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/member.php?7235-20phoenix)0pheonix do you know there is a community group with sub forums for organising the games? I haven't seen you posting in the Division B board.Don't worry, we won't get the bricks out for that.

For a first offence.

20phoenix
29-08-2012, 05:44 PM
That's too late a start for me tonight on short notice. Given that you aren't free tomorrow we should default the game to not hold up the league.

EDIT: BTW 2 (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/member.php?7235-20phoenix)0pheonix do you know there is a community group with sub forums for organising the games? I haven't seen you posting in the Division B board.

First time I havent used the boards really! Stands to reason its the first game i've failed to organise. If the rest are happy for an extension i'd prefer to play. I want to earn my relegation!!

President Weasel
29-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Janek's Nurgle Mans and my Chaos Mans played some blood bowl today.
It wasn't a game for fans of passing. Or scoring. Or, y'know, competence.
His Beast had the ball for nearly half the game. (It spilled into the beast's tentacles twice, and it rolled 6 both times).
Twice Janek got a two dicer on my ball carrier in my back field, and twice he got two skulls. My Ag4 mans tried twice to pass to each other, safely away from the Zones Of Nurgle Nerf, and both times the recipient spilled it.

The game finished 0-0. One of my mans had a MNG but otherwise it was all KOs and BHs.

Surprisingly enjoyable for a game in which nothing really happened.

The Brain
29-08-2012, 10:14 PM
His Beast had the ball for nearly half the game. (It spilled into the beast's tentacles twice, and it rolled 6 both times).

That very same beast actually scored a game winning touchdown against me a couple of seasons ago. It must have eaten an elf catcher at some point.

Janek
29-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Actually it's a different beast - the first one was murdered last season, much to my sorrow.

INinja132
29-08-2012, 10:47 PM
The Rakish Rodents (INinja132) 2-2 The Codsbottom Brawlers (Graever)

A pretty good match all told, with plenty of good plays from both teams. Could possibly have been a Skaven victory for me, other than a questionable decision to make the match more exciting by pushing the ball out of bounds on the 14th turn. Still, Graever would likely have been able to score anyways I reckon, as my line was pretty weak already.

Lots of KOs on the humans, but to make up for it they killed two Skaven, fortunately the backup thrower was revived to a miss next game, with only the new linerat ending his career early.

Good game, thanks a lot Graever!

Alistair Hutton
29-08-2012, 10:53 PM
First time I havent used the boards really! Stands to reason its the first game i've failed to organise. If the rest are happy for an extension i'd prefer to play. I want to earn my relegation!!

If an extension is given then I could possibly play on Friday evening from 6:30 pm onwards.

JayTee
29-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Actually it's a different beast - the first one was murdered last season, much to my sorrow.Which utter bastard did that?

Ahem.

DeekyFun
30-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Xenny and I are going to try and play our game late tonight. Depends on how late/intoxicated I am, I suspect. If not, then it'll be Friday evening, if the league admins would be so kind as to permit it?

Alini
30-08-2012, 09:24 AM
John Prester was having trouble with his PC before he left on holiday. Could we please have an extension until this weekend to give him a chance to come back and say where he's at?

Many thanks.

JayTee
30-08-2012, 11:07 AM
One of my Tomb Guardians who already has Block managed to roll another Double. A Double 6.

I'm definitely leaning heavily towards taking the +ST and ignoring the Double as the key Double skill (Block) I've already picked up. ST6 puts him only a single assist away from throwing out 3-Dice Blocks against ST3 players which sounds rather nifty. Tackle on him would be nice, but I think +ST will give me more chances to roll useful dice and will make him a horrible roadblock. Also means if I ever pick up Break Tackle for him for one Dodge-roll he'll be an utter utter bastard to tie down.

mrpier
30-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Nice, yeah take the strength. I just hope I don't meet you next season.

Skydancer
30-08-2012, 11:45 AM
a MV 4 block tree with no root? That's what I'd like. Next: multiple block (make use of my guard skellies).

Wolfenswan
30-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Choices, choices.

Tempted to take Frenzy as first skill on my second Wardancer (first one has strip ball).
Also unsure what to do with the two crippled linos (AV6/ST2). I'd def. sack the latter but the first can still serve as a punching back. I've got 80.000 to spare so I'm basically one game short of either a second catcher or a second RR. Choices, choices.

ChainsawHands
30-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Sack the ST2 linemen (both of them if you're feeling brave, but AV6 is less of a problem) and save up for the second reroll. 1 reroll is madness.

20phoenix
30-08-2012, 01:27 PM
If an extension is given then I could possibly play on Friday evening from 6:30 pm onwards.

This is fine for me. I'm not in work tomorrow so easy for me to schedule

NieA7
30-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Div A: Read in Tooth and Claw (Necro, me) vs. The 4 Colour Villains (Human, GroovyChainsaw)
In which we discover that once you're a ChainsawHands elf, you're always a ChainsawHands elf

With the two teams level on TV it was a straight fight. The Villains won the toss and elected to kick, then spectacularly pulled the rug out from Claw by executing a flawless two turn Elf touchdown: 1-0 to the Villains and the game had hardly begun.

The Villains rolled a blitz on the subsequent kickoff and managed to get a couple of tackle zones on the ball. This lead to several turns of undignified scrabbling as the sure hands ghoul repeatedly failed to grab the ball in a single tackle zone, while the humans gathered around but couldn't quite get pressure on the right place. The impasse was resolved when the ghoul failed the pickup again only for the ball to be grabbed on the bounce by a nearby wight.

Riding this luck Claw switched the ball to the other side of the pitch, but the humans were quick to follow and efficiently shut the breakout down. A swift blitz through the loose screen saw the ball spilled into the crowd, only for it to be thrown back into Claw's half between a golem and a wight. Despite this fortune Claw flubbed the pickup again (with a re-roll), leaving the ball in the hands of a Villain lineman.

With one turn in the half remaining something stirred in the remains of Thantoldas Undotaure's heart. Once a noble line elf in Elf Harm he was now little more than a walking tackle zone, but sometimes he could remember being so much more. The Villain was finally knocked down on the third two dice block thrown at him, and Thantoldas seized the moment. With scant regard for his own safety he swooped in, picked up the ball from under the nose of a Villain, dodged away and made an accurate short pass to the only wolf that could score. Inspired by this heroic display the wolf made the catch despite his marker, before dodging away and scoring an entirely undeserved equaliser (a 16% chance overall apparently) - 1-1 at half time.

Setting up asymmetrically for the second half Claw were quickly punished by the Villains kicker who dropped the ball short on the open side. Caging up Claw tried to grind down the pitch but the Villains were tough to move. Then, a slightly mad opportunity arose: a golem had ended up unmarked deep in the villains territory. Throwing caution to the wind the ghoul with the ball sprinted through and made the hand-off, allowing the golem to shamble away into the corner, out of reach of nearly all the humans.

It's fair to say this move came as a bit of a surprise to the Villains. It was General Zod who expressed this surprise most eloquently by promptly killing one of the wolves stone dead.

A catcher and a blitzer made it back to mark the golem, but the catcher was dropped by a ghoul and the blitzer KO'd by the golem himself. It wasn't enough though - the following turn the catcher hauled himself up, dodged into the golem's tackle zone, felled him on a two against block then grabbed the ball from in front of a ghoul (a 10% chance overall). It was a bit late in the day though: by now several of the Villains had been KO'd or injured, and the remaining few turns saw Claw reclaim the ball and run it in on their last turn. Any hope of a one turn touchdown was foiled when a riot dropped their entire line of scrimmage, leaving it 2-1 to Claw at full time.

Both of us rode our luck throughout the game, but while Groovy was generally getting away with one dice blocks and GFIs on most turns my luck came in outrageous bursts (the zombie touchdown was unbelievable). Losing a level 4 wolf is always sad but it was the one with -AV that I'd seriously considered firing anyway (as is traditional the dead wolf won the MVP). As a salve the other wolf reached level 5 and finally got tackle. Thanks to the other game in the div ending in a draw this win earned Claw their first ever proper promotion, and that's got to be worth celebrating even at a wake.

Macavity
30-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Pinged Macavity on steam, but g/f family emergency has come up, no way I'll be able to get our game in before deadline. Fine with the forfeit to him
If it won't hold things up unduly I can wait for Eard; if it will delay the league I'll take the win (rather have SPPs than game wins ^^)

ChainsawHands
30-08-2012, 02:21 PM
With one turn in the half remaining something stirred in the remains of Thantoldas Undotaure's heart. Once a noble line elf in Elf Harm he was now little more than a walking tackle zone, but sometimes he could remember being so much more. The Villain was finally knocked down on the third two dice block thrown at him, and Thantoldas seized the moment. With scant regard for his own safety he swooped in, picked up the ball from under the nose of a Villain, dodged away and made an accurate short pass to the only wolf that could score. Inspired by this heroic display the wolf made the catch despite his marker, before dodging away and scoring an entirely undeserved equaliser (a 16% chance overall apparently) - 1-1 at half time.Hah, excellent. I remember that guy: he was a journeyman that I hired because he got the... MVP I think, or possibly actually got enough SPP to level up. I think he was my last elf to have guard, too...

groovychainsaw
30-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Good write up nie, neatly sums it up i think. I slightly rode my luck all game on one-dice moves (although ended up with average dice overall - i ended a fair few turns with skulls). I went for the quick score as i didn't fancy a drawn out cage game, and in some respects i think i was right, I spent all game messing with nie's cage, and if I hadn't been down to 6 players in the second half I'm not so sure he'd have got that second touchdown. it was surprising to see the golem running away wit hthe ball, I must admit, but not as surprising as seeing that zombie elf (Chainsawhands continues to punish me, even from a different division ;-D).

It was a fun, if erratic, game for both of us and netted me 3 levels. So my thrower finally gets dumpoff (experimental ploy - we shall see...), my broken catcher (-1AV) gets doubles, so guard to go with wrestle (hobgoblin's becoming a bit handy now, but at av6 its not going to last long...) and General Zod's murderlising of yet another player (who shouldn't have been left parked next to a str5 mighty blow player really) means he got a level again, my first (ever?) level 6 player. And he got... doubles! Flipping 'eck - it's decision time. What would people give a str5 block tackle mighty blow blitzer on doubles? Dodge seems obvious, jump up maybe, or should I be boring and just ignore the doubles and get more guard? Or frenzy? What to do?

President Weasel
30-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Good write up nie, neatly sums it up i think. I slightly rode my luck all game on one-dice moves (although ended up with average dice overall - i ended a fair few turns with skulls). I went for the quick score as i didn't fancy a drawn out cage game, and in some respects i think i was right, I spent all game messing with nie's cage, and if I hadn't been down to 6 players in the second half I'm not so sure he'd have got that second touchdown. it was surprising to see the golem running away wit hthe ball, I must admit, but not as surprising as seeing that zombie elf (Chainsawhands continues to punish me, even from a different division ;-D).

It was a fun, if erratic, game for both of us and netted me 3 levels. So my thrower finally gets dumpoff (experimental ploy - we shall see...), my broken catcher (-1AV) gets doubles, so guard to go with wrestle (hobgoblin's becoming a bit handy now, but at av6 its not going to last long...) and General Zod's murderlising of yet another player (who shouldn't have been left parked next to a str5 mighty blow player really) means he got a level again, my first (ever?) level 6 player. And he got... doubles! Flipping 'eck - it's decision time. What would people give a str5 block tackle mighty blow blitzer on doubles? Dodge seems obvious, jump up maybe, or should I be boring and just ignore the doubles and get more guard? Or frenzy? What to do?

Sidestep, innit.
Or jump up, or dodge.

groovychainsaw
30-08-2012, 05:41 PM
I can get stand firm on normal rolls (course, he only has one left after this), which slightly puts me off sidestep. I'd be more inclined if he already had guard. And yeah, jump up, or dodge. Basically, everything is good, but is one thing more gooderer?

Everblue
30-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Break tackle? I know it's a normal roll, but AG 5 dodging will get you into a cage nicely will it not?

EDIT Ah scratch that - dodge is still better. Dodge for me.

EDIT EDIT - Shadowing?

ChainsawHands
30-08-2012, 05:54 PM
When I played you he was mostly being used as your ball carrier. If you're still using him for that I'd go with dodge for added staying-uprightness and getting-placesness. Alternatively, don't be afraid to ignore the double: if you just want to hit things with him every turn, frenzy would be pretty awesome on him, or piling on (even if I suspect he might get fouled a bit). I'd agree sidestep's a bit of a waste if you can get stand firm on a normal roll.

Everblue
30-08-2012, 05:58 PM
One other question - would it be possible to roll on Division K now? We've all played our games, and unexpectedly I have the whole evening free tonight.

If I can get hold of Mr Joose then we might have a chance of getting our game in early and I'm pretty busy the next few days, so that would help me out a lot...

ChainsawHands
30-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Break tackle? I know it's a normal roll, but AG 5 dodging will get you into a cage nicely will it not?

EDIT Ah scratch that - dodge is still better. Dodge for me.

EDIT EDIT - Shadowing?AG5 into a cage is a 1/2 chance (4+), AG3 is 1/6 chance, or with dodge 11/36 (~31%), so even without a reroll break tackle is better at getting into cages, and it'd be 75% with a reroll.

Dodge is better for a lot of other stuff, but break tackle would make him pretty good against cages.

Everblue
30-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Dodge is better for a lot of other stuff, but break tackle would make him pretty good against cages.

Yeah, but for me a 50% failure chance (25% with a reroll) is too high, especially for such a valuable piece. I would take dodge for the other stuff.

ChainsawHands
30-08-2012, 06:12 PM
75% chance of getting a blitz (almost certainly 2D with that monster) on a caged ball carrier gives an overall 54% chance of knocking them down, 65% if the ball carrier doesn't have block. It's worth considering.

NieA7
30-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Good write up nie, neatly sums it up i think. I slightly rode my luck all game on one-dice moves (although ended up with average dice overall - i ended a fair few turns with skulls).

From my side it looked like most the skulls were turnovers because you'd already burned a reroll on a GFI earlier in the turn ;)

and General Zod's murderlising of yet another player (who shouldn't have been left parked next to a str5 mighty blow player really) means he got a level again, my first (ever?) level 6 player.

Yeah, should've dodged the wolf away but tackle really puts me off making AG3 dodges, and as it was at the end of the turn I didn't have enough time to work out the odds properly. Plus without the wolf marking him he could've got unpleasantly close to the golem with the ball (still gutted he didn't get a TD for that magnificent break out). All these mistakes are clear with hindsight, and at least I've now got a chance for some doubles or stats on a fresh wolf.

As for Zod's skills, without an ogre I'd have a really difficult time looking past guard. This is the last skill he'll get (another 100 SPPs before he levels again), with only three other natural guard pieces even with his strength 5 the rest of the team could find themselves being mistreated in a bashy game. Guard or dodge basically - is he a lone star or a team player?

Zoraster
30-08-2012, 06:24 PM
One other question - would it be possible to roll on Division K now? We've all played our games, and unexpectedly I have the whole evening free tonight.

If I can get hold of Mr Joose then we might have a chance of getting our game in early and I'm pretty busy the next few days, so that would help me out a lot...

Div k rolled.

Everblue
30-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks Zoraster!

Indefatigible Snoozer
30-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Would someone be so kind as to roll on the CHAOS DIVISION OF CHAOTIC CHAOSNESS (and one dwarf team), aka Div 2?

Alistair Hutton
30-08-2012, 07:58 PM
ST5 Human Blitzer with all the bells and whistles? Frenzy. Will completely change how opponents set-up against you.

Plus increased murder chances.

Skydancer
30-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Can somebody validate my game in div G please? I've got important skillups to decide... :(

chadsexington
30-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Could div G be rolled as well? All matches have been completed

mrpier
30-08-2012, 08:58 PM
That's Div D. done with a ratty win 2-1 against Desvergehs violent orcs.

Dog Pants
30-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Helio and I have been having some calendar conflicts. Would we be able to get an extension until tomorrow night please?

laneford
30-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Myself and 'hands had an absolute monster battle at the top of the championship, between my nurgle mans and his ridiculoous stat monster elves. It was an epic game, 1-1 after the first half, my mans defended valiantly for almost the entire 2nd half, but I ended up being elfed out of a draw on the last turn, to lose 2-1, which means (as far as I can tell) he wins the Divisions for this season, congrats hands!

You bastard.​

Everblue
30-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Congrats 'hands!

mrpier
31-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Jiiiiiiiiiim is dethroned? Congratulations Chainsawhands!

Skydancer
31-08-2012, 11:35 AM
This is fabulous news!! The reign of capitalist terror has fallen! (for now)

ChainsawHands
31-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks!

Like laneford says, it was quite a match. We were very close in TV (I had 70K on him so he picked up a babe), so it was a well developed elf team against a well developed Nurgle team, which is a pretty good contrast of styles. The various Nurgly annoyance skills (tentacles and disturbing presence) were certainly pretty annoying - who knew tentacles worked against leap too? ;-)

It started well, as I kicked to laneford and he picked the ball up and then passed it, but failed to catch it, so I was able to run in, get the ball, and score on turn 2. The rest of the half went... less well, indeed really quite badly, as my typical high-risk aggressive defence failed to pay off and I was rapidly running out of elfs (I think 3 injuries and 5 KOs by the end?), leaving me unable to attempt a 1TTD after 'ford equalised on turn 8.

The start of the second half also went badly, as I had turnovers from a double skulls, a failed pickup (with reroll I think) and a fumbled quick pass from a thrower near my own endzone. Fortunately 'ford's Nurgle are absurdly slow (by elf standards anyway), so I was able to keep him away from the ball and eventually pick it up and pass it forward. Sadly I didn't actually catch it (my catcher joined in the 1s rolling I think), but after a bit of messing about as we scrambled for the ball I was able to leap an AG5 catcher onto the ball and dodge away. I thought I'd messed things up when I realised I could in fact have blitzed his only player in range, but fortunately his blitz only resulted in a push, so another 2+ leap gave me the winning TD on turn 16.

Thanks to laneford for a very enjoyable match.

It's been a good season for Elf Harm: beating Jiiiiiiim's lizards for the first time and finally winning the championship properly (I won it once before, but that was on two draws and a default, which was somewhat unsatisfying ;-)).

Jiiiiim
31-08-2012, 12:16 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Well done Hands. I need to think about what the Magnates do next. I suspect it may involve cutting some unnecessarily skilled skinks. AND THEY SHALL REMEMBER THOSE THAT DISSED THEM.

laneford
31-08-2012, 12:53 PM
It started well, as I kicked to laneford and he picked the ball up and then passed it, but failed to catch it, so I was able to run in, get the ball, and score on turn 2. The rest of the half went... less well, indeed really quite badly, as my typical high-risk aggressive defence failed to pay off and I was rapidly running out of elfs (I think 3 injuries and 5 KOs by the end?), leaving me unable to attempt a 1TTD after 'ford equalised on turn 8.

It was a horrendous start from me really. Firstly cyanide hid my best nurgle warrior from me, (somewhere in the warp I assume) and also wouldn't let me sub off my unskilled rotter/pesti for my AG5 sure hands kick off return man who was sitting on the bench. I managed to bring him back by selecting a default formation (thanks hands!) but timed out on my setup. I then rolled a snake eyes handing the ball off to an extra arms pesti sitting in quite a nice cage, leading to elfball, first score down.

The start of the second half also went badly, as I had turnovers from a double skulls, a failed pickup (with reroll I think) and a fumbled quick pass from a thrower near my own endzone. Fortunately 'ford's Nurgle are absurdly slow (by elf standards anyway), so I was able to keep him away from the ball and eventually pick it up and pass it forward. Sadly I didn't actually catch it (my catcher joined in the 1s rolling I think), but after a bit of messing about as we scrambled for the ball I was able to leap an AG5 catcher onto the ball and dodge away. I thought I'd messed things up when I realised I could in fact have blitzed his only player in range, but fortunately his blitz only resulted in a push, so another 2+ leap gave me the winning TD on turn 16.

Yeah my basic only plan was to keep hitting anything that moved with any player with tackle, mighty blow, and hope to use tentacles and prehensile tail to keep players in place or make risky dodges. For the first half I wasn't that bothered what he or I was up to as long as I was reducing his player numbers. On offence, I was a bit worried as I lack guard on my cage players, and my ball carriers are not that tough (an AG5 rotter without block or dodge, and a Pestigor with extra-arms, big hand and block) and very vulnerable to leap.

In the first half, the punching things plan worked very well, and I thinned out the numbers enough to reduce hands screening defence enough that I could just keep shifting my cage side to side, and throwing blitzes at his best players, even if i almost managed to screw up in T8 by not getting close enough to the endzone that I needed a handoff to nearby pestigor.

In the 2nd half I was fortunate in that hands a) rolled very badly for getting his KOs back and b) got spectacularly nuffled in his first two turns. But unfortunate in that I didn't manage to injure a single elf in the whole half. With the fact I need about 3 players to effectively mark any single elf, and that my tentacles refused to work well, I simply couldn't quite hold him off, stretched all the way across the pitch (some players marking receivers, some pressuring the ball carrier) and eventually he worked out an equaliser. I did have a few shots at scoring myself, but they were quite long range passes, which were always pretty risky plays (4+ or 5+ passes). I could've simply held the ball and ground out a draw, but with that much AG5 and leap, I didn't ever feel really safe trying that one, so I went for the win.

A relegation dogfight between my nurgle and Jim's lizards awaits. I need a draw or a win, he needs the win and for Grinn not to beat Hands by a bigger margin.

I'm not looking forward to facing these angry and wounded (In pride and also literally) magnates.

President Weasel
31-08-2012, 05:34 PM
I need to beat Jarvis and for Snoozer to beat Janek, and for the Td/Cas figures to be in my favour, otherwise I am relegated from Div 2. 1 up, 2 down: it's a slippery slope at the pointier end of the pyramid.

Alistair Hutton
31-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Global Warping (20pheonix) - (Alistair Hutton) Altdorf Army
Division B

The army knocked up a 2- 1 victory. The Army was too silly in the first half and pretty much fluked a touchdown to take a 1 - 0 lead. But lost their start thrower to a lightning bolt and Grayland the mega catcher to a ridiculously low percentage elf ball play.

In the second half an exposed Skaven thrower eventually lead to second Altdorf td.

A classic Skaven score clawed one back but the army managed to secure the ball and not let the Skaven have a sniff of it to run the clock down for the 2-1 win.

The Brain
31-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Right then Mr Hutton. It is as they say 'ON'. If Div B can get rolled on I should be free to play the decider this weekend.

Janek
31-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I need to beat Jarvis and for Snoozer to beat Janek, and for the Td/Cas figures to be in my favour, otherwise I am relegated from Div 2. 1 up, 2 down: it's a slippery slope at the pointier end of the pyramid.

My apologies, looks like it's only pride to play for now - the Beasts were able to use their greater mobility (that is not a phrase they use often) to rumble their way to a 2-0 win.

Guess I'm on my way to the Championship then.

Cacamas
31-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Hertlingbrad Scholars 2 - 1 Top Brass

Yep, that's it, I've had enough of these incompetent elves. The final turn encapsulates them for me. The humans had gotten a TD on their final turn and, without the players to make a 1 turn TD, it looked like another loss. But the dice throw me a lifeline - a riot sets the game back by 1 turn, thus allowing the opportunity of an equalising TD. I get a blitzer into the end zone, my star thrower breaks free, the interception fails and he throws a... fumbled pass. My fifth double 1 of the game.

I think I shall go back to a smashy team, I can do smashy.

P.S. I'm very distrusting of BBManager now. According to it, I didn't fail a single pass but the final action of the game clearly is one. I wonder how easy would it be to write something better...

sketchseven
31-08-2012, 09:35 PM
"Here be the tale from the match in Division I between the Hertlingbrad Scholars vs The Top Brass, as told by me, the coach of the Scholars...

With about 700K in inducements to spend I brought my trusty wizard Eloquacious, Bovril the Halfling Chef, put some time on the pitch for some Extra Training, and finally hired a babe. Because what else you gonna do with 50K?

I won the toss, decided to kick. Bovril clearly wasn't doing well in the kitchen, stealing only one reroll from The Top Brass, which they promptly got back on a kick-off result.

Some elfy play ensued, although the Scholars managed to put a decent amount of pressure on the ball (including Eloquacious zapping the ball carrier at the end of turn 1), but the Top Brass managed to get a catcher or two through with depressing ease and passed into the end zone for a 0-1 lead midway through the first half.

The Scholars were disheartened. But they rallied magnificently to push through the High Elf defences and score an equaliser in the final moments of the first half. 1-1 and all to play for, as they say.

Bovril utterly failed to cook up anything in anyway appetising during the half time interval, (rolling a magnificent triple 3 for no effect whatsoever). Second half was a rumbling drive from the Scholars that slowly pushed past the line of scrimmage, with those elfy buggers coming very close to snatching the ball out of the midst of the cage, but fumbled passes and some lucky bounces saw the ball land in the hands of a Blitzer who scrambled a touchdown at the end of turn 16. 2 - 1 to the Scholars.

One turn left for the Top Brass to pull it back. The players positioned themselves ready for the kick.

Which turned out to be a riot, pushing the clock back and giving the Brass two turns for the equaliser, not one. Their players swarmed upfield but the thrower, in his eagerness, fumbled the pick up. The Scholars set about marking everything in the backfield and hitting as many Elves as possible, but the Top Brass recovered magnificently and were a pass away from equalising, only to see the ball tumble from the thrower's fingers in the dying seconds of the match..."

A win! For those of you that are all "why you no hire Morg?" I shall simply point you to a Helf team that was full of Dodge, and reasoned that he'd spend his entire time rumbling after slippery buggers and not hitting things, and thus be a complete waste of coin. Cacamas was pretty unlucky with his dodge rolls at times, I got my share of double skulls, and all in all it was a good match. I think both of us got our share of Nuffling, although maybe him more than me. There were almost no casualties, just a badly hurt Helf catcher. Lastly, the journeyman lino on my team got the MVP for the match, so I bought him.

President Weasel
31-08-2012, 09:56 PM
My apologies, looks like it's only pride to play for now - the Beasts were able to use their greater mobility (that is not a phrase they use often) to rumble their way to a 2-0 win.

Well played!
Also, bah.

Indefatigible Snoozer
31-08-2012, 10:20 PM

Their superior mobility, and ability to pick up the ball-ness.

At least 4 failed pick-ups by my sure-handed runner. Admittedly, he's AG 3, but still...

I have relearnt a valuable lesson - don't leave your flanks unguarded on offence.

Dog Pants
31-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Div H: Anupshi Rises (KHE, Dog Pants) 1 - 2 Int'He Night Guardians (NEC, Heliocentric)

The game starts in blazing sun, making the Khemri feel right at home as they kick off. Meanwhile the Guardians' hired chef makes them feel at home by brewing up a stew good enough to steal all but one of the opposition's rerolls. The ball is snatched up by the Necro's Ghoul and caged on the centre line, which drifts around a little before a blitzing Tomb Guardian breaks in. In what would normally be remarkable, but is turning out to be somewhat commonplace, the ball lands in the hands of the surprised Tomb Guardian. His ambition is short lived though as a wizard from the crowd zaps him with a lightning bolt. The Ghoul recovers the ball and after a lateral dash makes a gutsy pass to a wandering zombie. With many of the Khemri team committing to the perceived Tomb Guardian drive there are few defenders to rush the ambling ball carrier, but the last two Anupshi players manage to bring him down short of the line. Now scrabbling to get the ball to safety with only a Thro-Ra and a Skeleton, the Khemri are outnumbered and unable to stop rapidly blitzing IHNG Werewolf from taking the ball and scoring.
A riot as the game recommences puts a second touchdown for the half within reach of both teams, but the remaining time is only really remarkable for a double down and an injury on a pair of Zombies by an Anupshi Rises Skeleton courtesy of a push into the crowd.

The second half gets off to a dynamic start as the Night Guardians storm the opposing half, marking the ball carrying Thro-Ra with a Werewolf before he can even move away with the ball. The Thro-Ra dodges away and counters the charge by dashing up the left field with minimal defence and a trailing Tomb Guardian. The Necro commitment to their charge left them struggling to remove themselves from the ensuing brawl though, and the Thro-Ra sails across the touchline for an equaliser.
Play resumes with a near kick being recovered by the Night Guardians' Ghoul, who makes a short pass into the cluttered group on the line of scrimmage. The catch fails, but the ball is grabbed by a Wight before it goes loose. With the ball suddenly at risk the Necros push hard, and the Wight makes a full out dash down the centre field. It isn't to be, and he overextends and falls. Anupshi Rises, with little time left, also try a little finesse as their +AG Skeleton recovers the ball and hands it off to a breaking Thro-Ra. With no support he can't outrun his opponents this time and is brought down by the Werewolf, the ball landing out of bounds. When it returns, the ball lands in the middle of the Night Guardians' half just behind the front line. The busy Werewolf dashes in to grab it and makes a long pass to the penetrating Ghoul who has been left almost unmarked in the chaos. Only a Blitz-Ra has any real chance of stopping him, but fails terribly and ends up bouncing off. The Ghoul steps over the Blitz-Ra to score a second Necro goal, winning the game in the last seconds.

potatoedoughnut
01-09-2012, 12:58 AM
P.S. I'm very distrusting of BBManager now. According to it, I didn't fail a single pass but the final action of the game clearly is one. I wonder how easy would it be to write something better...

BBManager counts all passes as successes. I don't know why, but all the other stats should be OK.

Heliocentric
01-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Yes, Zomball in blinding sun, and Tomb guardians wearing magnetic gloves and all injuries but a baddass broken neck on a zombie(a keeper) were regenerated. It was one of those games.

Taking away a total of 5 rerolls in the game the chef was my star player, closely followed by the wrestle zombie who refused to take "DO NOT WANT HUGS" for an answer. Yes, all of the passes were unreasonably lucky, but in my defence, I had like 5 re-rolls most of the match due to kick off events giving me even more rolls. But, god, I was jealous of all that guard, cant wait for the flesh golems to get a few ups.

Alistair Hutton
01-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Masquerade Ballers (The Brain) - (Alistair Hutton) Altdorf Army

With only a one day turnaround from the last game could the Army do the impossible and secure three victories for the first time in their history?

Yes. Yes they could.

The Elves opened with aggressive Elf defence but the Army slipped past them only to fail to realise they were passing over the head of an Elven catcher who intercepted the ball and legged it down the pitch for a hand-off and touch down. However The Army had been able to put one despicable elf in the KO box and another (the scary Frenzy Blitzer) to the hospital. Receiving again the Humans got Blitzed and 3 Elves bore down on the Armies nerveless thrower. Back at the line of scrimmage the Army dug out a position and placed the ball in the hands of Grayland the uber catcher of uberness (i.e after 4 level ups about equal in terms of ability to a starting Elf catcher). A slow grind (after a fecked up start where I failed to account for some Diving Tackle) around the mid way line saw two more elves break a nail or scuff their shoes and as such skive off to the injury box -plus another two ended up KO'd. Eventually Grayland sprinted miles clear meaning the elves couldn't catch him and their Wizard had been used up already on a ineffectual fireball. More Elf smash was performed and the ball was walked in with a turn left.

The kickoff table failed to pull a miracle out of the bag for the Ballers and we enterd the second half 1 - 1 apiece.

The elves received and were looking good until they used up a reroll no a GFI pushing a catcher into the Armies half and then having a second catcher fall over on a GFI. This left the Ballers thrower exposed at the edge of human blitzing range. Human blitzing then occured and the ball was secured by Grayland who once again was doing his best impression of a hero. Nip and tuck movements managed to turn the scrum into a cage and it was slowly worked down the pitch again. Brave, Brave human players put their bodies in the way to stop the elves being able to mount a concentrated attack on the cage corners. The one they did mange ended up with a couple more elves hospitalised.

Eventually the Army ran out of screening players and the elves had three bad dudes menacing Grayland. So he did the edcent thing and dodged in a touchdown to take it to 2-1 with two turns left. Enough time for and elven team to score.

BLITZ.

Human players streamed forward marking up the Throwers and managing to clear their own players from harms way. The elves responded by blitzing through the line and putting a player deep. And then having their thrower fall over.

More Elves smashed (6 in the hospital by the end including a gouged eye, an arm break and a -1 ST) but the noble Army couldn't pickup the ball on two attempts to get the third touch down.

Promotion is ours!

Fantastic game with The Brain, Wulf my Star Blitzer was a star - KO'ing elves almost at will. Grayland was the rock of my offence and Torg'n'Thorg(Not Relation) was a reliable Elf Crusher only failing on bone-head roll in the whole match - and that was a t an irrelevant time. Edwin Theoderic would be happy. He would be a lot happier if he hadn't been killed by an Elf this match, but you know, you take what you can get. A whole passle of levelups (to Wulf, Grayland and mr dependable Screamer) should set me up nicely for the promotion.

President Weasel
01-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Congratulations Al, and best of luck next season.

Prester John
01-09-2012, 11:06 PM
PC woes sorted through the use of magical card that exchanges virtual money for real goods. How great is that?
Hopefully have time to get game in tommorow (Sunday) so season is not total loss!

Macavity
02-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Have we rolled Div M on yet, with the loss for Eard?

Skydancer
02-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Had the match with walrus, khemri vs khemri. 1-0 for me, after lots of regen'd injuries in the first half (and everybody on the pitch by the second), some surfing topples and a bunch of ko/injuries on the second that tipped the balance in my favour, with my lone thro-ra troddling his way from my end of the pitch to the scoreline nearly untouched. Trod trod trod.

Jolima
02-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Have we rolled Div M on yet, with the loss for Eard?

It hasn't been yet, so if you can manage to play it today you may still have a chance.

Macavity
02-09-2012, 08:22 PM
It hasn't been yet, so if you can manage to play it today you may still have a chance.

Eard has been off Steam for a few days so I guess we're out of luck.

chadsexington
02-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Played div G match vs joey today - the battle of the bads to see who is relegated down.

My Norse vs Joeys chaos.

I come in minus two positionals, an unskilled wolf and a blodging sidestepper, so Joey only gets 130k in inducements, picking two babes.

I win the toss and set up to maximize my claw MB yeti on his AV9 chaos warriors. Kickoff results a pitch invasion, knocking two of joeys beast men down. I open up by surfing a beastman, and moving my guys around. Then the nuffling starts. Joey can not get anything right - he's getting knocked down on every turn and skulling out. He's used his rerolls by turn 4 and I havent touched any.

My yeti is near useless with the Animal rolls while he is able to move his Minotaur around freely - whether or not he is attacking. I do manage to get a MNG on a chaos warrior and a KO on mother with my yeti, so it's not all bad.

Im able to surf a few more bodies and walk in a TD by turn 4.

Joey gets the ball but is not able to make it out of his own half by halftime.

The second half is more of the same - good kick, deep. I'm able to get three of my own on top of the ball carrier while keeping the rest of his team busy. I manage to knock down the ball carrier and scoop it up myself, at which point Joey gets cyanided and can only move one player. It's no big loss as there is really nothing he can do at this point - I outnumber him 2:1 and have markers everyone.

I manage to push (and KO) the chaos warrior marking the ball and scoop it with my wolf (ok, two turns). I dash using both GFI, end my turn, and do the same for a TD.

My Norse 2, joeys chaos 0.

My MVP was actually well picked - my wolf, with an injury and a TD. He was 1 spp from gaining two levels.

GG Joey and enjoy the lower tier ;)

sketchseven
02-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Is it possible to roll Division I on at all? I think both matches have been done.

chadsexington
03-09-2012, 01:36 AM
An important question - I leveled one wulf (norse) to level 2. He is also 1SPP from level 3.

I've been toying with the idea of MB as a method to ensure he gets that 1SPP in his next match, at which point he gets either block to be more reliable, or guard, as my team is sorely lacking in it.

Should I just go with the guard/block and suck it up until he gets his needed SPP?

El Cubo
03-09-2012, 05:38 AM
An important question - I leveled one wulf (norse) to level 2. He is also 1SPP from level 3.

I've been toying with the idea of MB as a method to ensure he gets that 1SPP in his next match, at which point he gets either block to be more reliable, or guard, as my team is sorely lacking in it.

Should I just go with the guard/block and suck it up until he gets his needed SPP?

For my first ulf I went with block->mighty blow->guard route and didn't regret it. Since he was my primary blitzer at the time he levelled up pretty quickly. My other ulf, on the other hand is stuck at 7 spps and st5. Blockless, he is a sad ulfwerener who can't be relied upon. I'd say it depends on the next match up. If you're facing av7 team I'd get MB first.

What's the general opinion on ag4 linemen? A rookie norse lineman got +ag and I'm not sure if he's now a waste of TV or not. It also distracts him from his main duty of standing in the danger's way. I suppose he's a little more mobile now but, without dodge, not by much.

chadsexington
03-09-2012, 06:01 AM
For my first ulf I went with block->mighty blow->guard route and didn't regret it. Since he was my primary blitzer at the time he levelled up pretty quickly. My other ulf, on the other hand is stuck at 7 spps and st5. Blockless, he is a sad ulfwerener who can't be relied upon. I'd say it depends on the next match up. If you're facing av7 team I'd get MB first.

What's the general opinion on ag4 linemen? A rookie norse lineman got +ag and I'm not sure if he's now a waste of TV or not. It also distracts him from his main duty of standing in the danger's way. I suppose he's a little more mobile now but, without dodge, not by much.

dedicated ball-pick-er-upper? AG4 + kickoff return can have him scoop and bring to a more important person in a cage to save you some time. Though, thats an awful lot of TV.. though, he could potentially speed up all your drives by 1 turn

Alistair Hutton
03-09-2012, 09:38 AM

Do you have anyone else with AG4 on your team?

Yes) He is a waste of TV.
No) He is the most precious piece in your entire team. He is so wonderful and valuable you should treasure him and love him and hold him close.

AG4 opens up so many avenues for AG3 teams. At crucial moments you can play like an Elf.

ntw
03-09-2012, 02:04 PM
DivC

Cubo vs my Rats.

Utter disaster, the kind of game which causes ragequits or teams to retire...

Cubo won 2-0

ChainsawHands
03-09-2012, 02:11 PM
What's the general opinion on ag4 linemen?I quite like them, they're only 60K and give my opponents something to hit that isn't one of my important players.

President Weasel
03-09-2012, 03:36 PM
If they don't get a double for guard within the first couple of skills, be more ruthless than I can and sack them.

Oh wait, I thought you were talking about elves. Norse lineman with Ag4 should get kickoff return for picking the ball up. Keep him fo sho.

JayTee
03-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Hardwood Harpies (Bastard Wood Elves - Drawlien) vs. The Dead Comic Society (Useless Khemri - Me)

3 - 1

3rd loss in 4 matches for the Comics, in another utterly utterly depressing (Even with only 6 players on the pitch, they still scored against 11 Khemri. I mean seriously. Sigh) fashion means I'm stepping out of Bloodbowl for a while. Getting to the point where I don't even look forward to matches, so I need a break from these pathetic Khemri for a few seasons. That and I've got a holiday, my first in ~2 years(!), incoming in 4weeks and I'll thus be busy for a further month and unable to play matches.

So I'm out for next season, probably the one after, and may be back the following one but possibly not on this frustrating team.

Oh and that match got Cyanide-ed resulting in a network unsync which killed the match in the penultimate turn. This means my stupid-ass team manages to miss out on the injury SPPs so further anger.

Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo
03-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Yes devision G was not fun, 3 games, 0 td's, 0 level ups

Everblue
03-09-2012, 03:55 PM
If they don't get a double for guard within the first couple of skills, be more ruthless than I can and sack them.

Oh wait, I thought you were talking about elves. Norse lineman with Ag4 should get kickoff return for picking the ball up. Keep him fo sho.

Maybe you should use them instead of a thrower? Bin both your throwers and keep this guy - he can pass the ball better, pick up the ball better, and he's cheaper in TV terms.

Just a thought...

Alistair Hutton
03-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Maybe you should use them instead of a thrower? Bin both your throwers and keep this guy - he can pass the ball better, pick up the ball better, and he's cheaper in TV terms.

Just a thought...

He can only pass the ball better if you are able and willing to use a team re-roll on him. As the target number is higher than most normal agility rolls (i.e. dodge rolls) the improvement from AG3 to AG 4 isn't as profound). Also, due to the fumble rules Pass is a way more important re-roll skill than Dodge is.

Short Pass at AG4 is a 3+ target so 66%
Short Pass at AG3 with Pass is a 4+ target so 75%.

Long Bombs at AG4 is a 5+ target with a fumble on 1-3 so 33% to make the pass with 50% chance of fumble
Long Bombs at AG3 with Pass is a 6+ target with a fumble on 1-3 so 30% to make the Pass with a 25% chance of fumbling if that's what you are concerned about.

El Cubo
03-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Cubo vs my Rats.
Utter disaster, the kind of game which causes ragequits or teams to retire...
Cubo won 2-0

Oh, come now, it was only half bad -- I quite enjoyed myself! And look on the bright side: only one ratperson was killed and he was just a lino!

One interesting fact I learned from that match is that if you use the wizard to stun an opponent's player on his turn, he'll be effectively out for two turns.

Thanks for the advice, guys. The difficulty in assessing that ag4 is that I just got a surehanded thrower who's about as good in the ball handling tasks as the lino currently is. I'll just have to see how he performs. He could be a receiver, though, as it looks like both of my runners will be doing marking duties.

cyberpunkdreams
03-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. The difficulty in assessing that ag4 is that I just got a surehanded thrower who's about as good in the ball handling tasks as the lino in question would be. I'll just have to see how he performs. He could be a receiver, though, as it looks like both of my runners will be doing marking duties.

I think it's important to bear in mind that a lot of the tactics discussions you get on the forum only really apply to when you're playing to your team's playbook, but... this is Blood Bowl, and things will almost certainly screw up for you at least once per match. It's at times such as those that players that might otherwise seem redundant can contribute massively to a match.

Alistair Hutton
03-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. The difficulty in assessing that ag4 is that I just got a surehanded thrower who's about as good in the ball handling tasks as the lino currently is. I'll just have to see how he performs. He could be a receiver, though, as it looks like both of my runners will be doing marking duties.

Yes, he is your go to reception guy now. As you say he's no better at picking up and passing the ball than your thrower, but he's now waaaaay better than anyone on your team at catching the ball and penetrating the opposition lines.

Even standing in an opponent's tackle zone he's got a real good chance of receiving an accurate pass with a team re-roll.

Everblue
03-09-2012, 07:09 PM
One interesting fact I learned from that match is that if you use the wizard to stun an opponent's player on his turn, he'll be effectively out for two turns.

Yeah, that's quite a nasty bug. Even if you don't break armour, the player is effectively stunned, and if you break armour the player is down for three turns. Seems to happen every time.

Helio hit me with a nice fireball in a game last season that hit three players, so three automatic stuns. It lead to a touchdown directly, in a game which we eventually drew 2-2, in a league where I finished 1 point behind the eventual winner. Hey ho...!

somanyrobots
03-09-2012, 07:56 PM
mrpier and I squared off this morning for the division title. His skaven had a decent TV advantage over me, giving me a bribe and some babes. Rattatatz kicked off, with my necros attempting to claim as much space on the pitch as they could (and succeeding; thanks to the bribe, I KO'd a linerat in the first turn). Unfortunately, I miscalculated just how far those damn gutter runners could sprint, letting mrpier get two of them on my ball carrier; then, beautifully, he rolled double-dodges for two blocks in a row, letting me stay on my feet and continue advancing. Which I did with a mean, bashy cage, focusing as much on injuring rats as advancing. mrpier did succeed in bringing down the ball, with his damn obscenely-skilled gutter runners bulling their way in, but I recovered it without too much difficulty; only to have the werewolf who caught it brought down on the next turn (damn Wrestle). So began some scrambling, with my necros having a tough time picking up the ball, but an easy time knocking down any rats within reach. mrpier successfully got the ball, and attempted to pass it away; but failed the pass, and instead handed it off to an adjacent gutter runner, who I promptly injured. More scrambling, more rat-hurting; but eventually I got the ball onto a werewolf who was able to make it clear. He handed off to a wight who needed the SPPS, and 1-0 on turn 8. The turn 8 kickoff rolled a clock rewind though, so I couldn't just enjoy a quiet turn of rat-punching, but actually had to play, to keep mrpier's feisty gutter runners from getting a score in. I did wind up using my bribe, though, after an unproductive foul. 1-1.

In the second half, I had the amazing luck to roll a Blitz! on the kickoff, with a werewolf able to get under the ball and make the catch. Of course, it was by the sideline, so I shouldn't have; he was immediately crowdsurfed, with the ball bouncing to the far side of the field for a picture-perfect recovery by mrpier. Sigh. I'm always too greedy with a Blitz! mrpier got the ball easily, zipped it upfield and scored; my only consolation was maiming another linerat. But on the return kick, I rolled a High Kick; recovered the ball and caged up in the middle of the field. mrpier proceeded to have some bad luck with Wild Animal rolls, and a failed dodge, which gave me a huge advantage pushing upfield. I didn't have much trouble punching past the rats in my way, and a ghoul ran in a TD on turn 13. 2-1.

On the next setup, mrpier got cyanided; cheated out of one of his players, he had to play with just 8 rats on the field. It didn't matter, he still scored a two-turner. I injured another rat. 2-2.

Sweltering heat on the kickoff, rather than the Blitz! mrpier was hoping for. Nothing of any real consequence happened, though, and the match finished with no further excitement.

Lucky Lycanthropes 2 - 2 Rattatatz

A delightful game! Very fun, and an exemplary Skaven game, where his rats got bullied around by my necros and were fast enough to score plenty anyway. I was truthfully happy to settle for the draw; with five injured rats on the sideline by the end, I'm pretty sure I'll win the div in tiebreakers, earning myself a coveted promotion up to Tier 1! Where I will surely be destroyed. But an excellent game, a very good time, and my praise to all of Div D for an excellent season.

Jolima
03-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Eard has been off Steam for a few days so I guess we're out of luck.

I've moved M on to the last round now at last.

Gorm
03-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Corkir continued on an unbeaten run and beat my skaven 2-0. I think the dark elves only failed two dodges in the whole game, pretty annoying and for some reason i was too worried about commiting rats to breaking or bogging down the cage enough to stop the 2nd touch down.

Corkir
03-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I failed 9 dodges in total and finished average in that respect. I mainly made good dodges into the open with skilled players. Do you know the difference between dodging into the open and into a tackle zone? You did that on at least one occasion when you had the movement to spare to dodge into the open before moving into the zone. I assumed misclick but in case you dont know each zone you dodge into adds a -1 modifier.

President Weasel
03-09-2012, 09:44 PM
2-2 for the 2 already relegated teams in Division 2. Jarvis and I go down to the lower Divisions without recording a win between us.

Quite an eventful game, which saw one of my ag4 guys double 1 a pickup, then 2 the 3+ pickup he needed to rescue the situation next turn. That turned my drive into Jarvis's touchdown. On the other hand my guys redeemed themselves with an improbable elfball touchdown in turn 15 to even the score.
Nuffle giveth, Nuffle giveth away.

Everblue
03-09-2012, 09:56 PM
I beat Joose's dwarves 2-0 in Division K. Write up to come.

Gorm
03-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Yea i did know that Corkir, I misclicked twice, once when that guy stood up and once with my thrower. Yea when things go against you its easy to remember just the opponents success and not the failed dodges.

Everblue
04-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Division K - Boatmurdered Athletics FC (Dwarf, Joose) v Doomdark's Revenge (Chaos, me)

The mighty-yet-crap-at-Blood-Bowl-so-far chaos team lumbered onto the field led by their captain and most useless chaos warrior, Lord Doomdark, backed up by the mighty st5 Utarg of Utarg, and the minotaur Doomdark's Daughter. The dwarves were understandably unwilling to go up against the fearsome chaotic horde, and insisted on extra training and a mercenary deathroller being added to their roster (question - why not a bribe?).

The dwarves received the ball in the pouring rain, with the deathroller immediately knocking out a beastman and the irritating stunties stunning another. The chaos team stood off the dwarves, with the chaos warriors forming a formidable line and the mighty blow beastman Abandoning Hope being used in a hit and run capacity. A strong cage was formed by the dwarves, who moved forward to engage the chaos team directly. A massive fight ensued, with another beastman being carried off and the numerical superiority of the dwarves looking more and more important, but in their eagerness to more the cage forward the dwarf runner strayed too close to a downed chaos warrior, the Lord of Thrall, who promptly stood up and biffed him one.
The wet ball bounced around, until it was grabbed by the Utarg of Utarg, with the powerful warrior proving a huge obstacle to the dwarves’ chances of recovering the ball. The chaos team gradually shifted the fight from the centre circle to the right hand side of the pitch, away from the all-devouring maw of the deathroller, and despite a plucky dwarven blitzer who manage to knock over the Utarg with a plucky two-dice-against block, the ball was eventually recovered and handed off to Xajorkith Taken, the three-armed beastman, who sprinted clear up the right touchline.

The dwarves were unable to reposition in time, and the score was run in on turn 8 0-1 to Doomdark’s Revenge at half time
Glad to see the back of the deathroller, ten chaos players lined up against eleven dwarves at the start of the second half. The dwarves confidently put five blockers on the line of scrimmage, but these were made short work of by the chaos warriors and minotaur, with the minotaur getting yet another KO in the process (still no casualties for Doomdark’s daughter…). In response the dwarves lined up to batter a poor beastman on the right hand side of the chaos line, but this overcommitment to violence proved to be the dwarves’ undoing, as the more mobile chaos team simply charged up the left hand side of the pitch, with hardly any of the dwarf team able to get back and defend.

With only a runner between the chaos team and the line, and with the minotaur and a strength 5 chaos warrior holding the centre of the field to block the dwarves from recovering, a touchdown was all-but-inevitable. Some heroics from a blitzer and a troll slayer managed to delay the score, but a desperate attempt to shove the ball carrier into the crowd ultimately failed, and Xajorkith Taken scored a second touchdown. 0-2 to Doomdark’s Revenge on turn 14 and at full time

JayTee
04-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Two things, and quite long.

Firstly, I must say it's really nice of Cyanide to make it so that when a match is admin-ed, the winning team steals both MVPs and the losing team gets nothing. That's pretty much the nail in the coffin for me with regards to Blood Bowl, having ~18 SPPs including a badly needed level-up on a Tomb Guardian (And potentially, depending on where MVP landed, another level on a second TG) stolen from me because Cyanide can't code for shit just further convinces me I'm done for a while. 2 seasons break, a holiday for the first time in years (I'm not counting 2 tours of Afghanistan as a holiday :p), and some sunshine and I might mellow out. Plus some vineyard trips, that always helps.

Secondly, a more decent writeup than the post-midnight blast previously. I'm probably a little hazy on specifics, this was played at 11pm and I'd been up since 4am so I was hardly a bastion of concentration.

So coming into the final match of Division 1, both teams are playing to avoid relegation and thanks to an MNG Catcher the Wood Elves are given 160k inducements which lands on a Wizard. Amazingly, I have terrible luck with the damned coin flip, the Comics win the toss and elect to receive.

Interlude

No doubt people are gasping in horror at Khemri receiving against Wood Elves and not trying the 2-1 grind, but frankly I have never had much success with the 2-1 grind at higher TV. Your opponent knows you're going for that, so he's not going to score quickly and give you a leisurely 7ish turns to score and this is especially easy against Khemri due to their low speed.

Barring a lucky short kick or certain Kick-Off events, what will inevitably happen is the agile team hides the ball deep in their half, rushes a number of players through your line and waits for the opportune moment to pass and score. With slow-ass Skeletons and an inability to dodge, Khemri are left hoping they can bash a hole to pressure the carrier, but a smart agile player will simply not stand next to you and you're left hitting one player a turn. You then have to decide between bashing the players who are lounging around in your half or bashing a hole to pressure the carrier.

So I pretty much always choose to receive, as that gives me at least 3 players I'm (almost) guaranteed to hit and gives me the chance to decide the rules of engagement. While you're mostly going to be hitting trash LoS players, the name of the game here is to whittle the opponent down of 'trash' he can throw at the LoS or as markers so at some point he has to commit useful players.

Anyway, I digress. Essentially I've not had much luck with trying the 2-1 grind, I'm inevitably left not scoring in the first half because the opponent has stalled, so all I can squeeze out is an equaliser in the second half.

Back to the game

First drive starts off well, with the Comics BHing a LineElf and in a surprising display of ball handling collect the ball and cage up. Despite some Wardancer Leaping, the cage rumbles forward and in the continuing saga of being semi-useful, the SG/DP fouler snakeeyes his injury roll, merely stuns a Wardancer and gets himself sent off. Great. With the cage at the halfway line the Wizard comes into play and with obnoxious luck the carrier goes down, a Tomb Guardian is killed (But regens) and another cage corner drops. The Wood Elves easily prance in, scoop the ball and spend 3 turns stalling; the Khemri merely eventually managing to get one player in contact with the carrier who then makes a depressingly easy 2+ Dodge for the TD.

Setting up again the Khemri have 3 turns left to score, and again things go relatively smoothly with the ball caged up and rumbling up to the halfway line. The Wood Elves manage to largely stay out of trouble, but a failed Dodge (Notably the only one in the match) gives them a Turnover before being able to extract everyone and the Khemri have a field day with bashing. Of course they don't actually cause any damage, but still manage to knock over 6 of the opposition but thanks to player placement of Elves are left having to place the carrier out on the wing with only a Tomb Guardian (With Guard mind you) as support.

In a depressingly easy fashion the Elves waltz in, drop a 1D Block on a the carrier with their ST4 LineElf and roll up stumble which ends any hope of levelling the score. The Comics settle for some bashing, managing to KO a Wardancer and the first half draws to an end.

At this point I wasn't too disappointed with the performance, that first drive was nearly textbook but the stupid bloody Wizard came up trumps and handed an easy TD to the Elves. The second drive was a bit more ropey, some blocks ended up being Pushes when they badly needed to be something a bit more meaty. I figured an effective ST4 carrier, with Block, would have been reasonably sturdy but of course a frustratingly lucky 1D Block (In fairness the Elf was Wrestle/Tackle, so he had a 50/50 chance of rolling something useful but with Khemri I'll take 50/50 any day of the week) ended that hope.

Second Half

Kicking off to the Elves now, the Comics grab an extra TRR from the event but despite aiming short with a Kick player the ball sails miles away from the LoS. Thanks to a Cyanide bug the Elves had to field a rookie Catcher, but nevertheless depressingly easily slip 2 Wardancers and an AG5 player through the Khemri lines like they weren't on the pitch, and hide the ball well out of reach of any response. At this point it's 11.30 and frankly I'm barely awake, so I manage to mix up my players and leave the AG5 player entirely unmarked. Though in hindsight all I could have done is forced a trivial 2+ Dodge, with Dodge (As I left both Tackle players on the same side of the pitch. Tired. Fun), to score so actually it wouldn't have made much of a difference and as expected the Elves get their second TD. Still, a Blitz-ing Tomb Guardian lurched forward and punched a LineElf to the floor killing him on the spot and the Elf Apothecary helpfully suggests killing him to solve this.

Receiving this time the Comics complete what ended up being a pretty textbook cage run and get a TD, in the process handing out a number of Cas & KOs to the Wood Elves. I'm sketchy on details, but my backup fouler came up trumps somewhere in this half and KOed a Wardancer and BH another Elf and didn't get sent off.

Setting up again there are still 4 turns left on the board, so actually a draw is still entirely feasible. Of course once again despite aiming short and Kick, the kickoff sails miles away from the LoS. Sigh. In another depressing drive, the Elves run their AG5 player through the Khemri lines with trivial ease and setup to complete another textbook pass&TD. This time numbers are on the Khemri side, I think the Elves were down a number of key players, both Wardancers were now KOed and stubbornly refusing to wake up, so were unable to flood the Khemri half like last time in fact only having 6(ish?) players on the field. Despite a 2D Blitz, the Khemri were unable to roll anything other than a Push or Both Down so were left trying to mark the Elf. Naturally he easily completed his 2+, 2+ Dodges and pranced in their third TD.

With 2 turns left the Khemri have no chance of securing a draw so are merely playing for pride. The ball goes long however and a touchback gives a Blitz-Ra a feasible route in for a TD, especially with one of the few remaining Elves stunned thanks to an errant stone from a "fan". Running forward the Blitz-Ra gets within scoring distance, and the Khemri move to support him.

Network synchronisation error

And so ends the match.

I think I had a reasonable chance of a second TD, the Elves only had 3 players on their feet against a semi-cage of what would have been 3 players assuming I'd succeeded on the GFIs. It would have required a GFI, or 2GFIs if the Blitz-Ra had been pushed, but I reckon I had an outside chance of it all coming together. So quite annoying the game decided to crap out.

Analysis

I'm pretty fed up with Khemri actually, especially against any team who can easily dodge away from being marked. The team is too slow to put pressure on throwers and catchers simultaneously, and without a ridiculous amount of Tackle any agile team is going to be able to walk through your lines easily so you're left slowly shambling a few players towards the thrower and hoping you can mark/Blitz down the catchers. Of course, all it takes is a couple of players standing around with TZs and your pressure on the thrower is gone as you have no chance of getting past them, outside of a Blitz but that means the catcher is left unmolested.

I tried both methods, and while Blitz-ing up towards the thrower resulted in one dead Elf, the marking of AG5 players is basically impossible so he slipped free easily. The other method of Blitz-ing the catcher relies on rolling something other than Push/BD, which didn't happen, so that failed too. Bad luck for sure. I guess I could have spread the team out and attempted a 6+ interception, which actually has higher chances to succeed than stopping an agile player with Dodge or a TRR, once you look at the odds so perhaps that's a ridiculous route to go with.

Offensively the team was solid, I think all told handing out 3 KOs and 5 Cas including a dead Lv3 LineElf, but in what seems to be a reoccuring theme they were quite unable to roll those useful Pows when it was critical. The ST6 Block Tomb Guardian was a bit 'meh', though that was largely because only once did he not roll 2 Pows so actually the third dice always seemed superfluous. So really he was 'meh' by being superb, just the ST6 didn't make a huge difference. Drawlien however frustratingly only failed a single dodge to get his Elfs out of harms way (I'm calling a fail here one that causes a Turnover, if you have to re-roll but succeed that's not a fail!) so for most of the Offensive drives I was left only having one player to hit with a Blitz.

Fouling was going to be my main tactic here; hit one player to make him fall over, then stamp his face into the floor. This had a reasonable success rate actually, while my DP/SG fouler got himself (mostly) ineffectually sent off, the backup DP fouler got two players off the field and stuck it out till the end.

groovychainsaw
04-09-2012, 12:12 PM
As Khemri, I probably wouldn't even go near the thrower - let him sit in their half if they want to. My suggestion would be to double up on any catchers who make it through your lines, and keep blitzing one each turn (with whoever your best blitzer is - mighty blow+ tackle is ideal :-D) whilst trying to hold the half way line (tomb guardians should help here). Keeping your team deep and forcing more difficult dodges/catches where you can is crucial, even surrender the half-way line to stack your half. Maybe send one (resilient) player upfield to act as a deterrent. Over-committing on the thrower will see a swift touchdown against as he dodges away and makes a perfect handoff/pass downfield. At least an elf team won't want to leave their catchers surrounded for too many turns, so you'll force the quick score if nothing else.

The only skill that will help you is diving tackle, really, tackle doesn't really slow an elf team down much, but diving tackle forces some pressure on those dodges.

'Course, I say this as someone who has a woeful track record against elves recently, but I think my own lack of diving tackle/pass block is somewhat to blame for my failures. That and causing NO INJURIES, despite my numerous tackle/mighty blow players. Elves are near-impossible to beat once levelled if they keep all their (good) players on the pitch IMO, regardless of your strategy, so you're always at the mercy of those armour breaks.

President Weasel
04-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Diving tackle also needs tackle, otherwise they use dodge to reroll the result and then waltz away laughing, the utter dicks.

Also, check their team out beforehand and make a note (on a post it or in notepad or something, don't use your mind because you'll just forget during the match and then get angry at yourself afterwards like I did last night) of who has niggling injuries and should therefore be targeted first. Also feel free to make a note of anyone who has a combination of really helpful skills and really low armour, but you can tell that yourself during the match. Niggle's the one you need to check in advance.

groovychainsaw
04-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Diving tackle is better together with tackle, certainly, but its better than tackle as an elf-preventing skill on its own by giving an 8.3% chance of a turnover (they can't use a reroll after the dodge reroll). Assuming the elf player has a team reroll for the dodge, tackle only gives a 3% chance of the turnover (although, obviously, 16.6% chance of a turnover if they're out of rerolls...). In short, I'd want both (and tackle is obviously much more useful for bashing, too), but if i was picking one skill and wanted to prevent dodges? I'd get diving tackle.

Still, you'd want to force them to dodge into some tackle zones, too, as 1 in 11 failed dodges is still not all that successful if you're trying to prevent touchdown heroics :-)

/Edit - All numbers, of course could be corrected by someone who's spent more time on this. All dodges assuming we're dodging into free space...

/Edit edit - more number crunching suggest one tackle zone, diving tackle, no tackle, gives a 22% chance of an elf with dodge falling over, which is pretty good :-)

Everblue
04-09-2012, 01:45 PM
@Jaytee - The game doesn't actually sound *all that bad* actually. A 3-2 loss with 5 casualties caused when crucial dice go against you and you get wizarded is upsetting, but doesn't sound to me like compelling evidence that your khemri aren't competing.

(I'm not telling you what to feel here - it's just like you actually sounded like you had a fair shout at winning the game). Certainly I was about to weigh in here with tactical advice, but tbh it doesn't sound like you need any from me.

Was it the net sync error that's wound you up? And is there no way to fix this? Can you maybe replay the game and try to replicate the situation at least in touchdown terms (ie start the game, the woodie coach gets a merc elf instead of a wizard, let the woodies score 3 times, and you score once, let your TGs hit the "dead" elf and the merc elf in the hope of casualties, then spin it on to T15, put non-active players out of the way and see if you could have scored)? Should be quite quick and at least you'd get the winnings and 8 or 11 of your SPPs.

If timezones are an issue, you could ask one of us to play it out for you. I'm sure that one of the admins or longstanding members (who you'd trust with your password!) could have a bash.

EDIT - And isn't the point of the 2-1 grind that you don't need tackle or diving tackle to stop the elf coach scoring. If you can score on your own 8-turn drive (yes, the wizard, but with block on the TG instead of +1 ST he wouldn't have had the wizard - could you have cut a reroll or a bench skellie to deny him it?), then at worst you should draw 1-1 or lose 2-1 if you lose the ball on your own short drive. It seems to me that it's bash and offence that you want as Khemri, and you get that with tackle not diving tackle.

JayTee
04-09-2012, 03:59 PM
'Course, I say this as someone who has a woeful track record against elves recently, but I think my own lack of diving tackle/pass block is somewhat to blame for my failures. That and causing NO INJURIES, despite my numerous tackle/mighty blow players. Elves are near-impossible to beat once levelled if they keep all their (good) players on the pitch IMO, regardless of your strategy, so you're always at the mercy of those armour breaks.Yeah, AG5 especially makes it frustratingly hard to counter as even if you double-mark said player it's still only a 3+ followed by a 2+ to skip free. In hindsight I also spotted that marking a Leap Wardancer was a bit of wishful thinking as of course without being marked by 4 players (hah!) it's a 3+ roll to avoid any dodges together.

Elves. Bleh. I've beaten them once, thanks to a frankly obscene 9 KOs and 5 Cas, thus proving it's all about those crucial players not being on the pitch. Well in that case it was all about not having any players on the pitch...

Also, check their team out beforehand and make a note (on a post it or in notepad or something, don't use your mind because you'll just forget during the match and then get angry at yourself afterwards like I did last night) of who has niggling injuries and should therefore be targeted first.My post-it note has that covered, hence why all 4 of those players were off the pitch by the end of the match ;) Niggle + Dirty Player/Mighty Blow is quite nice odds (~72%) to get someone off the pitch with a successful armour break.

The game doesn't actually sound *all that bad* actually. A 3-2 loss with 5 casualties caused when crucial dice go against you and you get wizarded is upsetting, but doesn't sound to me like compelling evidence that your khemri aren't competing. Well it was 3-1 and the unfortunate wizard was annoyingly statistically almost the 'average' result when fireballing 5 players, still doesn't help much when you're left with such a scoreline. It's also not the first match where crucial dice have gone against the team, which of course is no-one's fault than dumb-ass luck, but my irrational side of course has other thoughts. You're right that the 2-1 grind means you're not trying to stop them scoring, but crucially you are trying to force them to score or they'll do what Drawlien did to great success and stall for a number of turns, leaving you with barely no time to reply.

I blame that useless Lv1 Blitz-Ra, ever since he came on the team it's been like the team can't roll dice for toffee. He has too many 'a's in his name, that's his problem; and some kind of fear of SPPs as he's at 12 matches with only 2 to his name.

The sync and loss of the SPPs just made me realise that actually I'm not enjoying the playing of the matches, it's more the number-watching side of me that wants to see numbers go upwards that is enjoying it. That's not what BloodBowl should be about, and I have been playing the Comics now for nearly 18 months so perhaps it's time to grab something else.

ChainsawHands
04-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Yeah, AG5 especially makes it frustratingly hard to counter as even if you double-mark said player it's still only a 3+ followed by a 2+ to skip free.That's AG4, AG5 would be a 2+ then a 2+.

ChainsawHands
04-09-2012, 04:11 PM
...and I have been playing the Comics now for nearly 18 months so perhaps it's time to grab something else.Dark, High, Wood and Vanilla Elf teams are all available if you want some sweet, sweet AG4 elfy vengeance.

20phoenix
04-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Dark, High, Wood and Vanilla Elf teams are all available if you want some sweet, sweet AG4 elfy vengeance.

The cruel book of irony dictates that if you did go down that route your first match would end up with 9 casualties. Its inevitable.

Everblue
04-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Incidentally - the another league I am in arranges dummy games between seasons for people who have missed out on SPPs and winnings due to disconnects or net syncs. Maybe something we could consider here? Just bung them into the RPS Open league, set up a game against a team of snots, admin it to 1-1, then bung them back out of the open league?

Zoraster
05-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Everblue; off-season cat herding takes long enough already without adding further complications. It makes more sense at the end of long seasons with several weeks downtime between campaigns, but the DoD rely on fast turnover with so short seasons. It is a largely trivial – near rookie teams are the only ones who really suffer as a result of a missed game – and rare issue and does come with its own compensations. Very much a case of the medicine causing more harm than the disease from a DoD perspective imo.

Everblue
05-09-2012, 11:42 AM
No probs Zoraster. It was just an idea :)

groovychainsaw
05-09-2012, 11:52 AM
I was about to say similar to Zor, so I'll echo his feelings, I like the idea in principle, but the admin overheads would be a little high for our 60+ band of heroes to turn around during the <1 week off-season here in the divisions. Missing one game is not going to leave you too disadvantaged here.

Everblue
05-09-2012, 11:54 AM
The cruel book of irony dictates that if you did go down that route your first match would end up with 9 casualties. Its inevitable.

I like the idea of "The Cruel Book of Irony". Sounds like a good read. I picture the front cover as a disgruntled man holding a fork in one hand, staring at an enormous pile of spoons.

desvergeh
05-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Hi there admins,

I would like to request an extension for my match against Denthariel in Division D. Due to busy social calenders for the both of us, we have been unable to arrange a suitable time for our match until (hopefully) next monday. If this isn't possible it won't be too much of a problem, as our match will only be an orc-off for bottom position in the division.

drawlien
05-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the write-up JayTee. I feel for you because I know the pain of the inconsistent Khemri team, they can crash pretty hard. You were talking about trying a different team even before the network sync failure so hopefully you'll come back to BB refreshed after your holiday!

In other news I'm thinking of rebooting to a different team. I think I've put it in the spreadsheet correctly (let me know if not). However, I've noticed an error on the team balance sheet - It only counts from row 4 downwards on the season information sheet, and my team is actually in row 3 so doesn't contribute to the total! I couldn't alter it myself because it's locked....

Alistair Hutton
05-09-2012, 07:49 PM
The anticipation is killing me, could a kindly admin please validate my final match in division B? I desperately want to see what my level up are for my mans.

smaug81
05-09-2012, 08:08 PM
The anticipation is killing me, could a kindly admin please validate my final match in division B? I desperately want to see what my level up are for my mans.

Echoing this, I got at least one skill-up on a Nurgle Warrior in the other Week 3 match for Div. B, and he's moving up to a tasty level 4.

Jolima
05-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Echoing this, I got at least one skill-up on a Nurgle Warrior in the other Week 3 match for Div. B, and he's moving up to a tasty level 4.

I went through and validated every match that was reported in the sheet. (There was one 2-0 result that wasn't.)

Alistair Hutton
05-09-2012, 09:12 PM
@Jolima You are a scholar and a gentleman.

@Smaug81 Nurgle is never tasty.

Question for the crowd. My Wrestle, Guard, Tackle Lineman has just rolled a double. IF he had block rather than Wrestle I'd given him Mighty Blow in a heartbeat. But he doesn't and I think that would be rather a waste.

I just can't think of a decent skill to take. Dodge to increase his survivability? maybe side step to increase his annoyance factor?

No wait. Side step seems ideal, a Guard piece that the opponent can't reliably shift out of position? Anyone want to make a counter off to that?

Edit: And Arnulf Wulf my star blitzer is 1 SPP off of level 6. Nuffle knows that that means he's going to die in the next match..

20phoenix
05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
So I went into the third match day in 3rd place and got a draw against the 4th placed team who was on the same points. I've now been dropped to 4th. What gives?

Jolima
05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Cyanide just settles tie-breakers to the team with the most TV. I guess he got more value from the match than you did and passed you. Our official tie-breakers are a little more complicated than that of course. (Find them in the spreadsheet.)

Alistair Hutton
05-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Cyanide just settles tie-breakers to the team with the most TV. I guess he got more value from the match than you did and passed you. Our official tie-breakers are a little more complicated than that of course. (Find them in the spreadsheet.)

20pheonix, do not be tricked into reading the tie break rules. They were not meant for mortal man to try and comprehend!

Kapouille
05-09-2012, 11:00 PM
It seems that LowKey's removal from the division has messed up all of us in the spreadsheet.
Not sure if that's important, but letting you know :)

potatoedoughnut
05-09-2012, 11:42 PM

Question for the crowd. My Wrestle, Guard, Tackle Lineman has just rolled a double. IF he had block rather than Wrestle I'd given him Mighty Blow in a heartbeat. But he doesn't and I think that would be rather a waste.

I just can't think of a decent skill to take. Dodge to increase his survivability? maybe side step to increase his annoyance factor?

No wait. Side step seems ideal, a Guard piece that the opponent can't reliably shift out of position? Anyone want to make a counter off to that?

Edit: And Arnulf Wulf my star blitzer is 1 SPP off of level 6. Nuffle knows that that means he's going to die in the next match..

You're forgetting the BEST option: Thick Skull. It's a bold choice.

Wrestle and guard is an unfortunate combination. Dodge is good because it helps you reposition your guard and helps keep him on his feet. Sidestep can be quite annoying, and I'm always a fan of the annoying option (my necros are full of sidestep and stand firm).

President Weasel
05-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Side step works much better with dodge. Strip ball works really well with wrestle to make a ball carrier taker-outer, but then you have tackle already so it's half as useful. Stand firm works well with guard, but you have wrestle. Dauntless works well with tackle and wrestle, not so much with guard.

WHY DOES YOUR MAN HAVE THESE CONFUSING SKILLS?

Everblue
06-09-2012, 12:32 AM
I went through and validated every match that was reported in the sheet. (There was one 2-0 result that wasn't.)

My mighty blow - claw beast man thanks you from the bottom of his black heart.

smaug81
06-09-2012, 02:18 AM

The man speaks truth on both points.

Post-validation, I've come away with a startling 3(!) skill-ups from the last match. Nothing but standard rolls, but my star Warrior, who got Block and MB early and hasn't looked back since, has now picked up Claw as well, and will no doubt hog the casualties even more. I also have a second Block-MB Pestigor, and my first skilled Rotter since the team's first or second season (he gets Wrestle). The team is slowly coming together. . .

Also quite curious to see how the tie between myself and 20phoenix will work out. I have no idea which of us ought to be coming out on top.

Dentharial
06-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Hey admins!

desvergeh and I in Div D need an extension until Monday night to get our game of orcball in. As a potential sweetener, I'll also point out that since desvergeh and I are currently bottom on 0 points each, letting us get our game in should make demotions easier to sort out. Unless we decide to be dicks and score a draw.

LowKey
06-09-2012, 07:46 AM
It seems that LowKey's removal from the division has messed up all of us in the spreadsheet.
Not sure if that's important, but letting you know :)

Who removed me?! You'll never stop the revoulution!

Alistair Hutton
06-09-2012, 08:30 AM
You're forgetting the BEST option: Thick Skull. It's a bold choice.

Wrestle and guard is an unfortunate combination. Dodge is good because it helps you reposition your guard and helps keep him on his feet. Sidestep can be quite annoying, and I'm always a fan of the annoying option (my necros are full of sidestep and stand firm).

Side step works much better with dodge. Strip ball works really well with wrestle to make a ball carrier taker-outer, but then you have tackle already so it's half as useful. Stand firm works well with guard, but you have wrestle. Dauntless works well with tackle and wrestle, not so much with guard.

WHY DOES YOUR MAN HAVE THESE CONFUSING SKILLS?

Wrestle was the first skill up he got and I already had two other Linemen with Block, but then he got a double and on a Human team how can you refuse Guard on a lineman on a double (answer: you can't). Then he got a third skill up just as the level of the league I was in was flooded with agility teams so Tackle seemed like a good bet (and it was - completely destroyed an Amazon team).

If I knew he was going to get a double on his second skill roll I'd have given him Block as the first skill. BUT I'M NOT PSYCHIC SO I DIDN'T KNOW!

You're right, crunching the numbers makes Side Step only half as brilliantly useful without dodge - of course I still get to place my dude even when he is knocked over which means they have to factor in a Guard piece standing up on the next turn and it allows me to use him to guard the sidelines even if Frenzy is in the house.

I'm half tempted to go nuts and give him Block, play to the human strengths make him the most flexible piece in the game.

President Weasel
06-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I don't hate the idea of a block wrestle player. On the other hand, since he already has tackle and wrestle and you might want to throw him at ball carriers, dodge ought to be helpful in making him harder to screen off?

Screwie
06-09-2012, 10:06 AM
If you're throwing this guy at catchers, Diving Tackle could be very annoying on top of Tackle and Wrestle - potentially force them to engage you (and suffer a wrestle result) instead of just dodging away.

JayTee
06-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the write-up JayTee. I feel for you because I know the pain of the inconsistent Khemri team, they can crash pretty hard. You were talking about trying a different team even before the network sync failure so hopefully you'll come back to BB refreshed after your holiday!Yep, I've been going back and forth for a season or two as to whether I've actually played the Comics too long and have forgotten how to play a non-bash team. Would probably do my coaching mojo some good to not only play a noob team again, but also take a totally different playstyle for a whirl for a while.

I'd feel somewhat dirty picking up an Elf team, but they are pretty much the polar opposite of the Khemri so would suit a chance of pace nicely. I'll figure it out once I've had enough of vineyards and sunshine :)

No wait. Side step seems ideal, a Guard piece that the opponent can't reliably shift out of position? Anyone want to make a counter off to that? I'd probably nab Dodge. It keeps him on his feet more and thus able to use Guard, and allows you to use him a bit more offensively to harass carriers with Wrestle/Tackle. But if you face a lot of teams with Tackle then it becomes relatively wasted, in which case you're probably better off with Stand Firm/Side Step to emphasise his Guard.

A slightly out-there option could be Grab if you use him to Blitz carriers as it removes the frustration of Side Step on a Carrier, and gives you some options for forming 1TTDs if you stuff him on the LoS.

Alistair Hutton
06-09-2012, 01:15 PM
I'd probably nab Dodge. It keeps him on his feet more and thus able to use Guard, and allows you to use him a bit more offensively to harass carriers with Wrestle/Tackle. But if you face a lot of teams with Tackle then it becomes relatively wasted, in which case you're probably better off with Stand Firm/Side Step to emphasise his Guard.

A slightly out-there option could be Grab if you use him to Blitz carriers as it removes the frustration of Side Step on a Carrier, and gives you some options for forming 1TTDs if you stuff him on the LoS.

Already have Grab dude to setup crazy 1TTD attempts with only 6 guys left on the pitch and deal with piss boilingly annoying side step elf wankers.

That's my thinking of Dodge - given that I'll be in division 1/2 next season I'm surely going to be facing a bunch of well developed teams who'll have enough tackle on them to deal with players having dodge for survivability.

If you're throwing this guy at catchers, Diving Tackle could be very annoying on top of Tackle and Wrestle - potentially force them to engage you (and suffer a wrestle result) instead of just dodging away.

I was thinking Diving Tackle for the pure dead elf annoyance but that does tend to mean that his Guard is going wasted (and I think Guard is his best feature as a player). On the other hand Diving Tackle would be the missing piece that makes him very multi-modal. He can either stick himself in the scrum, using his Guard to help the blocking battle or track back to cover and harass any catchers who think they can prance around like twats on my side of the pitch without any repercussions.

EDIT: I'm agonising over this because I can't help but feel there is a "right" skill to pick in this situation and it would be a shame to waste a second double on a sub standard pick. And also there are so many good picks for him. I don't think anything I do pick will be wrong - so it's interesting to see what people favour.

ChainsawHands
06-09-2012, 02:01 PM
That's my thinking of Dodge - given that I'll be in division 1/2 next season I'm surely going to be facing a bunch of well developed teams who'll have enough tackle on them to deal with players having dodge for survivability.Most people have some tackle, yes, but while they might be able to blitz with a tackler that's one less tackle player to mark your catchers, and having the extra mobility on a guard player is quite nice. Diving tackle is good, but it's a poor combination with guard, so I'd probably go with dodge.

Alistair Hutton
06-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Most people have some tackle, yes, but while they might be able to blitz with a tackler that's one less tackle player to mark your catchers, and having the extra mobility on a guard player is quite nice. Diving tackle is good, but it's a poor combination with guard, so I'd probably go with dodge.

Pfft, what evidence do we have that you know what you are doing?

Wolfenswan
06-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Voting time!

After 3 games with my WElfs I've lost one Lineman to death, one to -ST and have one with -AV, a catcher with -AV and one Wardancer with -MV. My winnings so far are just about 100k and I have only one RR (the Apo has reliably decided to make injuries worse).

Time to kick the bucket?

NieA7
06-09-2012, 07:53 PM
For some reason I have a vision of that lineman weeping into his pillow at night, cursing Nuffle for giving him such poorly coordinated skills...

For me it'd be between dodge and diving tackle, depending on what the rest of the team would benefit most from. Give him dodge and he becomes a mobile support, able to get away and do some guarding where you need to block markers away from other players. It'll also help him keep up with a cage, and guard on a cage corner is just lovely. On the other hand give him diving tackle and he becomes your defensive catchers BFF, helping them mark up receivers while ensuring they don't simply get punched away. It'll also turn him into a handy ball-sacker, even if you don't get a knockdown it'll be hard for the carrier to get away the next turn and guard will come in if you can get another player back to support.

I'd probably go dodge, but that's just because I'm terribly conservative.

Wolfenswan - I've not played them myself but I always figured that was the deal with WElf's. They're superb players out of the box but there's every chance your team will get crippled after a few games: the challenge of them is keeping it together through that difficult start and middle to give yourself enough time to develop a few real stars. If you like the idea of that (which is more on the "flavour" side of BB than the "game" side) stick with them, otherwise reboot to something with a better life expectancy. Halflings maybe.

Wolfenswan
06-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Might be that my several seasons of playing with Amazons who despite their AV7 never got hurt gave me the wrong ideas.

I don't mind an uphill struggle but having to replace over 200k in players and needing 200k for RRs with the winnings barely accounting for 100k isn't the best motivation. I like playing (W)Elfs, of the two games I won two and drew 1, and would probably reboot with an agile heavy team.

NieA7
06-09-2012, 08:16 PM
That's the thing though, I don't think you have to replace them - lean on journeymen while developing the survivors, and hopefully the TV difference will net you the odd re-roll here and there in inducements. If you do choose to reboot though I'd give serious consideration to starting with at least 2 re-rolls (9 linemen and two dancers would let you do that), given they've got the advantage they can't be hurt.

President Weasel
06-09-2012, 09:52 PM
You need to replace the wardancer pretty soon, but they're points hogs anyway so she'll catch up and pass the rest of your team soon enough. As for the rest, screw em. Go for the satisfaction of getting a broken team back to health, and until you can afford a full team and a sub there's no point desperately trying to keep your roster full. Journeymen for the line are gloriously liberating, they can get mangled and you just won't care.
Save your money, buy a reroll, save your money, buy a wardancer, save your money til you can afford to fill your entire roster plus a sub and then get the replacements in one fell swoop.

20phoenix
06-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Early doors the only players on a wood elf team you need to replace are the wardancers. Catchers are a luxury item that come in when you have the available cash - they're not essential to a wood elf team. As PW said just pad the team out with loners until you can afford to get to 12 players.

sketchseven
07-09-2012, 12:21 AM
I think, with Elves in general, you're usually ok with a couple of journeymen or more - that AG4 puts things in your favour more often than not, and with an assumed TV imbalance in your favour, you can always pick up Extra Training team rerolls if you think you're really going to need them.

It's only for teams that are AG3 and generally unskilled (Chaos springs to mind) where journeymen will probably be more hinderance than they're worth.

potatoedoughnut
07-09-2012, 02:00 AM
I agree with the sentiment here. Just fire any crippled linos and rely on journeymen. Wardancers are worth replacing and if you have spare cash you can get catchers. But with pretty much any elf team you're always going to be down a couple players until you get fairly well developed unless you've been very lucky with the cas rolls.

chadsexington
07-09-2012, 03:58 AM
There was a small issue with div 'M' on the spreadsheet. Formula linked col 'G' instead of col 'A' which skewed results for one of the teams that did not have COL A = COL G.

Jolima
07-09-2012, 07:06 AM
There was a small issue with div 'M' on the spreadsheet. Formula linked col 'G' instead of col 'A' which skewed results for one of the teams that did not have COL A = COL G.

There's still something wrong with it. It's counting my loss as a draw for me, but correctly as a win for Eard.

Alistair Hutton
07-09-2012, 08:47 AM
I think, with Elves in general, you're usually ok with a couple of journeymen or more - that AG4 puts things in your favour more often than not, and with an assumed TV imbalance in your favour, you can always pick up Extra Training team rerolls if you think you're really going to need them.

It's only for teams that are AG3 and generally unskilled (Chaos springs to mind) where journeymen will probably be more hinderance than they're worth.

Yeah, Journey Man Elf Line Mans are so good it makes me cry. Oh no - I only get a 50% chance of rerolling this 2+ roll if it fucks up, I've only go a 90% chance of success rather than a 97% chance of success. Woe. Woe is me.

As for the amount of casualties you're taking Mr Wolf and Mr Swan I think it is a case that Amazon's lulled you into a false sense of security. The blanket dodge they have keeps them upright and ticking way more than other AV 7 teams. As you'd noticed at the end of your time with Amazons, the greater amount of tackle you were seeing on more developed teams was starting to bite and playing without dodge on all your mans is like playing against a whole team with Tackle.

sketchseven
07-09-2012, 02:12 PM
The other advantage of running with a couple of journeymen on your team is you can sacrifice them on the LoS without worrying about them eating the turf.

Heliocentric
08-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Heliocentric's "Int'He Night Guardians" -Vs- Xenny's "Xenny's Bezerkers"[sic]

This was a grudge match, last time were played I suicided my mighty blow werewolf on Xenny's Yheetee Vral and lost the game grievously. It was a game of three halves. No really, on the start on the second half a riot confused the Ref enough to give me another go at kicking off. Not that I wanted it,I had a werewolf flying down the field with the ball, but to be fair to him he let me off for every single foul I committed(aided by a get the ref free bribe). But let me take it back to the start, I received the ball from a square in the middle high kick, the Werewolf magicked to collect it and the chef which is lately my favourite inducement hovered up 2 of Xenny's rerolls and fed them to my guys with pasta.

The early punching was assisted by my magical wrestle zombie who taught the norse to love and hugged them to the ground and a wave of effective knockdowns by my team put the Bezerkers on the back foot. The werewolf got in the thick of it and started breaking heads wit hthe spiked ball and was appropriately knocked flat, the ball spilling into a Norse throwers hands, who after some buffing handed the ball off to a runner who sped down my unprotected flank. A loose zombie and a wight who had his marker punched away by a ghoul rushed the runner and knocked him out, and my werewolf fell flat on his faci attempting a gfi to pick up the ball. The norse collected the ball again, but the generally favourable armour rolls had meant I could encapsulate the Norse thrower handling the ball and his 2 guards. One of his 2 players guarding the carrier was quickly knocked out but any norse attempts to resist were scuppered by early turn overs and my successful armour rolls. Eventually I decided the thrower was alone and surrounded enough to attack and with a Werewolf push+skull, push+Def down frenzy the all handler was pushed off the pitch along side with the balland he died (apo to BH *sulk*) which was thrown in alongside my surprised Flesh Golem and a few zombies who were mauling the yheetee. The flesh golem picked up the ball and walked it in while the exhausted Norse could only spare one lineman who with 2 Die against managed to get flattened by the Golem who casually walked the ball in.

Followed the false start and the third half, resultingly all the knocked out Norsemen woke up, but the momentum held, the norse managed to lose blitzs to wild animal, fail dodges and by turn twelve with lots of ineffective punching a werewol scored my second touchdown to end turn 11. I didn't realise I had to kick and the AI kick was really short, so short that a norse effeort to push down my left flank looked sure to sucseed. But the ball dropped to the floor in a norse cage, the nearest player pushed assisde by a werewolf. The norse failed a 1 die block against the wolf and again my momentum built. Zombies enveloped te cage backed by the golems the wol picked up the ball and ran into the distance.

Around turn 14 Xenny decided to cut her losses and just stop getting the norsemen up to get them punched down, i responded with a 8 man foul on the hated Yheetee which resulted in a stun and ate my earlier acquired bribe. and the werewolf reached the line on turn 15.

Turn 16 contained the only successful norse pass of the game, another yheetee gang foul(stun) and a few zombies getting knocked out.

Heliocentric's "Int'He Night Guardians" 3-Vs-0 Xenny's "Xenny's Bezerkers"[sic]

A ghoul and an my flesh golem (both scorers) both levelled up with reg rolls, I snapped up sure hands for the ghoul and the flesh golem leaves me undecided. Yes ST4 block is great, but maybe I'll get him guard so my wrestle zombies can work better. Any advice?

I can finally afford to replace my dead werewolf too... Or maybe just get a third reroll?

Wolfenswan
08-09-2012, 03:14 AM
I hate you all, I'll be grinding on.

Next match: with all positionals MNGs it's 5 linos + jorneys against whoever's the lucky chap (dwarfs probably).

PS:
can someone validate Div I? I want to see how bad it really is.

ChainsawHands
08-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Somebody's already validated it.

To be honest, with -AV on your catcher, -MV on one of the wardancers, and what looked like several dead players, I think you'd be better off restarting with a 2 reroll setup. I think you can get 2RR, 2 WD and 9 linemen and still have a bit of cash left over to put towards an apoth.

Everblue
08-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Zoraster - Would you mind posting a couple of your Rock Paper Supper replays to BBM? I'm struggling a bit with flings in the open and I wouldn't mind some pointers.

Kapouille - I'll be watching your replays this evening, thanks for posting those!

Zoraster
08-09-2012, 11:26 AM
There are a fair few in 'zors random matches' from a variety of different competitions. Also see Ogham season 7 - Big Moot. Probably the most relevant for you will be the games from the Open season which are Flinging Frenzy (BB) between May and September 2011 including meetings with Horny Goats, Elves of the Line etc who are on your dancecard this season.

Everblue
08-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks Zor

potatoedoughnut
08-09-2012, 06:49 PM
A ghoul and an my flesh golem (both scorers) both levelled up with reg rolls, I snapped up sure hands for the ghoul and the flesh golem leaves me undecided. Yes ST4 block is great, but maybe I'll get him guard so my wrestle zombies can work better. Any advice?

I can finally afford to replace my dead werewolf too... Or maybe just get a third reroll?

If both of your wights have guard then I'd go with block first on the golem. They will level slightly faster with block (not too terribly much) and hopefully you can get a double on a zombie for guard help.

The wolfs are your stars so getting your 2nd is very helpful. However starting with only 2 rerolls is tough. I'd say if you have a good amount of block/wrestle on your wolf, ghouls, and golems you could get the wolf and try and score with him to get block within a couple games. However, if you're still light on block you're probably better off with the RR to prevent TOs.

NieA7
08-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Definitely block for the golem. They take a ridiculously long time to level up but block is more helpful when tying up others than guard, just make sure the wights level quickly and give them both guard for their first skill.

Personally I'd go for a third re-roll rather than a second wolf. Two wolves is lovely but a third re-roll will really help on the hand-offs and such for the offense. Getting a wolf later won't hurt, with the ghouls and other wolf on level three or higher it won't be too hard to get a rookie up to speed quickly. Might be worth starting with dodge rather than block for him too, assuming the rest of your team is up to speed, it's a more useful scoring skill.

somanyrobots
09-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I vote for block as well. I have block on both my FGs, and the quantity of hits they make now is key to getting them further levels. And I'm a pretty big booster for RRs generally; as much as I love my werewolves, I would probably vote for the RR. Having a reroll ready to use just lets you play so much more confidently.

(Granted, anyone who's seen my team has seen that I'm uncreative, I think every player now has block. But I think I've only been outbashed maybe twice so far, so it's working well).

Relatedly, my necros have a wight who just hit level 2 and rolled his second double. I gave him Dodge on the first one, but am torn between Guard and Side Step now; I feel Guard is the smart choice, but have trouble passing up the double (and a sidestep+blodge wight would be super annoying, amirite?). (Was also going to poll about next skill-up on a ghoul, but I misclicked and Cyanide saved it, so now he has Strip Ball. Sigh.)

Everblue
09-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Jump up? For a piling on monster?

NieA7
09-09-2012, 12:19 AM
I'd never go for piling on on a wight, Necro teams need all the guard they can get - voluntarily putting one on the floor doesn't feel right. I can just about see the argument for PO on a wolf after mighty blow (though I'd go for Juggernaut if I did get two wolf doubles), but other than that I'd steer clear of it.

Sidestep's great but stand firm's just as good (if not better with guard) and you can get it on a normal. I'd go for guard now and stand firm next, that'll make him extremely annoying for other teams to deal with. Without an Ag up there aren't really any agility or passing skills that are hugely better for a Wight than strength/normal once you've got dodge imo.

Heliocentric
09-09-2012, 09:58 AM
I know objectively that wrestle on a flesh golem is a waste but it amuses me. I guess it's my proclivity for fouling speaking. That and I like how it brings the mighty low, all these bodge fend sidestep guys who are impossible to foul.

Gorm
09-09-2012, 11:53 AM
The speed you lose getting up after a wrestle would stop me taking it on a slow guy.

ChainsawHands
09-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Any chance Grinn and I can get an extension to Thursday night? That's the first time we can both make.

Jolima
09-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Any chance Grinn and I can get an extension to Thursday night? That's the first time we can both make.

Sure, go for it.

Jiiiiim
09-09-2012, 03:03 PM
The Magnates announce their retirement, more to follow.

laneford
09-09-2012, 03:25 PM
I apologise (or not, depending on your feelings about them) in advance. But a 2-2 draw with Jim keeps me and my nurglers up in the champs for next season (as far as I can work out)

Wolfenswan
09-09-2012, 04:54 PM
I'll reboot with the same team, only fresh players, and drop the catcher for a lino+RR.

Jiiiiim
09-09-2012, 05:29 PM
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/Jiiiiim/History.png

Next up: maybe someone killier

potatoedoughnut
09-09-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm sad to see the magnates retire, especially because I never got a chance to finally beat them. I went 0-4-1 against them, and killed 1 krox (Go? I think?), which I think is pretty good, but they foiled my championship for 3 seasons in a row.

I look forward to whatever team you brew up next Jiiiim.

I've been thinking about retiring Clone High to start something new, but I'll probably wait for some star players to die. It seems a shame to retire them when they could die on the pitch.

Everblue
09-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Ohhh - the theme was Monopoly!

laneford
09-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Five championships in a row is a hell of a record, well done the magnates.

Heliocentric
09-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Ohhh - the theme was Monopoly!

What's a "the exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service" got to do with anything? It was a magnetic polarity joke.

Dog Pants
09-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Div H: Anupshi Rises (KHE, Dog Pants) 1 - 1 Dandy-Lions (HElf, Deekyfun)

The final game of Div H begins in bright sunshine, making the Khemri feel at home and the High Elves wish they wore sunglasses. Anupshi Rises win the toss and choose to receive, collecting the ball and forming a wedge up the centre of the field. The defence holds against the Tomb Guardian boarsnout charge, and the offence starts to slip into the right field. Before long the attack is pushing up the right flank and the High Elves are squeezing the formation against the line. Both sides lose a player off the edge and the number of Elves behind the ball slows the play down to a grind. A last minute split dash runs out of time before anything can come of it, and the half ends with a blank scoresheet.

In stark contrast to the slow grind of the first half, the receiving Dandy-Lions burst through the defence with a Blitzer and a Catcher, while the line of scrimmage is pushed towards the nearby ball by the Anupshi Rises Tomb Guardians. The running pair are intercepted by the deep defence, but more runners make it through the line to put further pressure on the overstretched Khemri. The penetrating catchers are marked and blitzed, but a terrible mistake leaves the Dandy-Lions star Blitzer standing alone in the middle of the Khemri half. Capitalising on the error, the High Elves make a long pass to the free player and he races across the line unopposed.
Now kicking, the Dandy-Lions drop the ball right on the Anupshi Rises touchline where the team's second Thro-Ra fails to pick it up. With only a short amount of time for a Khemri touchdown the offence go all in on a concentrated drive up the left flank. Spearheaded by the team's four Tomb Guardians they drive a path down the flank, but the earlier fumble has left the ball carrying Thro-Ra with a lot of catching up to do. A surprise extreme-range blitz by the High Elf super-Blitzer nearly puts an end to the drive early, but he stumbles just as he reaches his target. The ball carrier skips out of the way and charges after his team-mates to hand off to the team's first Thro-Ra, but true to form the ball is dropped again. Enough Khemri players remain around the ball to prevent dashing Dandy-Lions from picking it up, and the interceptors are pushed back enough for the passing Thro-Ra to take the ball up once more and race into the widening straits along the left flank. With seconds left on the clock and the ball carrier at full pelt there are still a number of High Elf defenders harrying the Tomb Guardians which form the wall of the safety corridor. At the end of the wall is a Blitz-Ra, and it looks like the cluster of Dandy-Lions nearby might be able to push him back and seal the end of the passage, when out from the crowd comes a fireball which takes out all but one of the potential saviours. In a last ditch attempt to stop the touchdown a Lineman almost makes it between a pair of Tomb Guardians to get hands on the ball carrier, but is brought down just as he reaches out. The Thro-Ra sprints on to score an equaliser with scant seconds remaining, and the game ends as a dramatic draw.

Coach Dog Pants knows that the patience of the Pharaowners is running thin after narrowly missing a second relegation in as many seasons. Attendance is down after a long run of poor games, and that means the cash isn't coming in. Opting for discretion he makes his excuses when called to the board-tomb, but a messenger finds him in the bar and wordlessly hands him an embalming hook bearing the team logo. The Pharaowners have made their point - start performing as a coach, or become a player.

NieA7
09-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Monopole Magnates: we salute you.

Div A: Read in Tooth and Claw (Necro, me) vs. Supernumeraries (DElf, Nullkigan)

Thanks to a rookie wolf and an injured assassin the two teams started more or less even on TV, though with only 11 players the Supernumeraries roster was a little thin. The DElfs won the toss and elected to receive under the bright sun, setting up aggressively with most of their players on the scrimmage. Unfortunately a perfect defense was rolled, allowing the undead to regroup slightly. The DElfs took this in their stride, consolidating around the centre with a blitzer and a Witch Elf sprinting down the sidelines. What followed was a few turns of "hunt the weakling" - with the ball held deep on their side of the field the DElfs continually blitzed either the rookie wolf (who immediately went down to a MNG injury, not regenerated) or the ghoul, while the Necro's returned the favour on the Witch Elfs.

With the ruck in the centre getting thicker by the turn the DElfs decided to cut their losses and go for the TD. The runner handed off to an Ag5 blitzer, but thanks to the sun even with a re-roll the pass was fumbled. With the elf near the ball stranded (thanks to avoiding interceptions) the Necro's pounced. Pausing only to injure the kick elf the undead shambled forward, positioning themselves between the bulk of the elfs and the ball. A failed dodge quickly put an end to any opportunity for the Delfs to recover, allowing the remaining wolf to grab it and cage up. Some typical leap-ey elfball succeeded in knocking the ball free again, but again the pass was fumbled and again the undead secured it, running it in on turn 7. After a bit of pushing and shoving the half ended 1-0 to Claw.

Receiving in the second half the undead were starting to dominate. The DElfs had suffered 3 casualties and 1 KO to the Necro's 1 casualty and one sending off, leaving it 11 v 7 on the pitch. The pressure quickly told, and by the time a ghoul ran it over on turn 14 there were only three elfs left on the pitch. With so few players there wasn't much the Supernumeraries could do, leaving the scoreline 2-0 at full time.

The key to this match was always going to be maiming elfs, fortunately it worked pretty well. I suspect Nullkigan might have been better served going for a quick TD rather than hunting for casualties - while losing the rookie wolf was a nuisance (this turned into an ideal match to level him up) the higher strength, deeper bench and bashier skills of the Necro's was always going to make it risky for the DElfs to hang about. So, 3 games, 3 wins (albeit more than a little lucky in some cases), one fairly earned promotion coming up!