PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The many, many Divisions of Death!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34

President Weasel
23-11-2012, 10:22 AM
I've pm'd my opponent (Dolphan) on RPS, left a message for him in our respective division, and steamfriended him, though he has declined and blocked me there.

I'm posting here for extra visibility in case they can't access their RPS forum account for whatever reason.

You've got 11 days to get that one played anyway, it's next week's game.

Everyone else, you've got this evening to play your games; if you need an extension then post here and the admins will consider it.

You should also be aware that game 3 comes after game 2. If you've historically been bad at arranging games, maybe you could try contacting your opponent now and seeing what days work for you. It's a crazy idea* but it just might work.

*it's not a crazy idea.

Dolphan
23-11-2012, 11:49 AM
I've pm'd my opponent (Dolphan) on RPS, left a message for him in our respective division, and steamfriended him, though he has declined and blocked me there.

I'm posting here for extra visibility in case they can't access their RPS forum account for whatever reason.

Urk, sorry, just seen the message - I didn't realise we'd advanced to the next set of games already. I'll PM you.

LowKey
23-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Grumpy old scot grumping about, be cool duuuuuuude

President Weasel
23-11-2012, 12:44 PM
My original plan to murder everyone was cancelled; it was pointed out that while we'd have no late games, we wouldn't have any on time games either. So even though I'm not on a murder spree I'm apparently still grumpy? I just can't win.

ChainsawHands
23-11-2012, 12:54 PM
My original plan to murder everyone was cancelledNever give up on your dreams, Pweasel. NEVER GIVE UP!

Heliocentric
23-11-2012, 12:54 PM
My original plan to murder everyone was cancelled; it was pointed out that while we'd have no late games, we wouldn't have any on time games either. So even though I'm not on a murder spree I'm apparently still grumpy? I just can't win.We need to return to the plan where we take a kidney/finger/family member for every missed game.

I still say that one had legs.

President Weasel
23-11-2012, 01:17 PM
We need to return to the plan where we take a kidney/finger/family member for every missed game.

I still say that one had legs.

and indeed kidneys and fingers.

ChainsawHands
23-11-2012, 02:42 PM
We need to return to the plan where we take a kidney/finger/family member for every missed game.

I still say that one had legs.It would never have worked anyway, Everblue was already working on ways to exploit that system (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?71-RPS-Blood-Bowl-League-The-RPS-Open&p=214196&viewfull=1#post214196).

Everblue
23-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Take two if you like. It seems like I've got millions of the buggers.

cyberpunkdreams
23-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Take two if you like. It seems like I've got millions of the buggers.

Surely this is the point where you decide to work full time on an oil rig for the next 15 years?

chadsexington
23-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Urk, sorry, just seen the message - I didn't realise we'd advanced to the next set of games already. I'll PM you.

We may not have, but we will for this weekend, which is when I'd like to do it seeing the time difference

Kapouille
23-11-2012, 07:56 PM
I have sent another set of PM/steam requests to Sollitus yesterday. Hopefully will receive an answer tonight, otherwise it's toast :S

Everblue
24-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Matchday 3, Division C, Hertlingbrad Scholars (Human, Sketch) v Doomdark's Revenge (Chaos, me)

The puny humans had a laughable 450,000 inducements against my mighty CHAOS horde, and chose to spend them on a pathetic pie merchant and a miserable wizard. We laughed at their idiocy, and laughed again (AGAIN I TELL YOU!) when they won the toss and decided to receive.

As usual I deployed my most puny beastmen on the line, while my magnificent warriors of almighty CHAOS stood back and prepared for the sudden but inevitable slaughter which must surely follow. The puny humans received the ball and immediately used their sneaking miserable wizard to cast a sneaking miserable lightening bolt at the beautiful Doomdark's Daughter, a tentacled minotaur who embodies all that is good about almighty CHAOS. The minotaur was sadly knocked out and carried from the field, where we said prayers to the Gods of CHAOS that she might recover for the second half.

The puny humans, having scooped up the ball, chose to run away from my magnificent CHAOS warriors, aside from an inconsequential fight on one side of the pitch, running some blitzers into my half of the field. I laughed (LAUGHED!) at their ridiculously optimistic plan and immediately crushed them. Or I would have, if their irritating blitzers had not had the guard skill and kept beating up my beastmen. Making a mental note to throw my beastmen into the Pit of Ice after the game, I nevertheless managed to terrify one of them sufficiently to encourage him to bash his way into the cage and mark the human thrower, who, no doubt in awe of almighty CHAOS, failed his dodge roll. The beastman concerned picked up the ball and shambled off towards the human end zone.

The puny humans managed to drag down the beastman, earning the beastman an extra-long stay in the Pit of Ice, and recovered the ball, but their attempt at a late touchdown failed, as the stratagems of those who oppose CHAOS must inevitably fail, and the half ended scoreless.

My favourite beastman is called Abandoning Hope. He has two skills - mighty blow and claw - and he used these to good effect in the second half for the glory of CHAOS. I must remember to give him an extra go on the Succubi of Slaanesh later. The puny humans began the second half by kicking the ball into touch, and so I judged in my Infinite Wisdom, that the magnificent CHAOS warrior The Lord of Thrall would carry the ball.

Abandoning Hope began the second half by injuring the human ogre, and continued in the same glorious vein by killing one of the puny humans' guard blitzers and knocking out another. Just as I was poised to add the soul of the blitzer to my Collection of Souls, the puny human's blasted doctor decided to save his life, at the cost of a niggling injury. CHAOS delights in death, but it is mildly amused by niggling injuries, so, you know, it was all good.

Anyhoo, the Army of almighty CHAOS ground forward throughout the second half. Fortunately as the Incarnation of CHAOS, I am infallable, because otherwise the sequence of events which lead to the knocking over of the ball carrier near the touchline could have been termed a hideous error, but in any event the Lord of Whispers managed to pick the ball up again and shamble in for a turn 16 touchdown. CHAOS WILL PREVAIL !!!11

And so, the match ended 1-0 to the horde of CHAOS. with the puny humans being taught that their kind has no place on the field of Blood Bowl.

(Cheers for the game Sketch!)

Dentharial
24-11-2012, 10:21 AM
My original plan to murder everyone was cancelled; it was pointed out that while we'd have no late games, we wouldn't have any on time games either. So even though I'm not on a murder spree I'm apparently still grumpy? I just can't win.

In fact, you might say that all of the coaches would be.... *puts on a monocle*

...late.

YES!

President Weasel
24-11-2012, 12:05 PM
That pun... I think we'll have to un-cancel that murder spree.

Most of the divisions have been moved on; please start arranging your games if you haven't already.

Groovy, can we get an adjudication?
Div 2, AgP versus Kajo - Kajo's hard drive is broken, preventing him from playing. Is that a loss for Kajo, or a draw because they both tried to play the match?

Kapouille
24-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Most of the divisions have been moved on;

Pfew, ours isn't yet. I finally had a hold of Sollitus. It seems liek he's been busy stuffing his face with Turkey and thanking the god of consumerism. He's back, but can't play tonight... THough he says he can do tomorrow... Any chance we could get that going? *kitten eyes*

groovychainsaw
24-11-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm happy for you play tomorrow Kapouille, but no later, ok? ;-)

Additionally, I think agp and kajo's match should be a draw, really, it looks like an act of nuffle rather than an attempt at game avoidance :-).

/Edit - also, walrus is AWOL in F - you've got until tomorrow to make yourself heard walrus, or prester is getting a 2-0....

Week 3 has commenced! Get playing, peoples! Or apparently someone will steal your fingers!

Kapouille
24-11-2012, 11:09 PM

Sir yes SIR!

President Weasel
24-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Cool, I set the Kajo/AGP match to 0-0 and moved the division on a week.
Div 2-ers, you can now play next week's matches.

cyberpunkdreams
25-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Crunchy Skaven (Zenohero, Rats) vs (me, Gobbo) Black Bombers

Well, it was a tense and exciting match for the relegation decider in Division E. The teams were equally matched, due to one of the Bombers' trolls staying at home nursing a stubbed toe, and had everything to play for.

Crunchy, playing at home, chose to receive. The goblins, in response, and fearing the Skaven's quick scoring reputation, set up without any secret weapon players on the pitch. Things went pretty much according to plan for the Skaven, until, what's this? The pogoist making his first ever interception in the mid field? (Helped along by pass block.) Crunchy, having committed to a strong attack, were caught out as the little guy bounced towards their end zone. An attempted block was rebuffed, a touchdown was scored.

Crunchy Skaven 0 - 1 Black Bombers

A KO forced the Bombers to bring their bombardier on for the second drive of the game. The Skaven's play went more according to plan, their would be scorer tripped over his laces in the Bombers' endzone. The ball bounced out of play and into one of Crunchy's home crowd: the throw in didn't exactly travel far, ahem. A bit of pushing and shoving resulted before the Skaven got their act together and ran it in.

Crunchy Skaven 1 - 1 Black Bombers

The Bombers set up for a TTM one-turner with the strong arm troll. A Skaven blitz on the kick off could do little to stop it, but the troll's hunger could. Fortunately, he didn't quite manage to get his teammate down the hatch.

Half Time

The Bombers set up to receive, planning a slow drive up the left of the field and bringing both remaining secret weapons onto the pitch (amazingly at this point, they had the choice: casualties had been low... so far). Needless to say, the kick went short and to the right. All was well, however, until the little guy with the ball slipped on a pool of blood while carrying the ball to the waiting pogoer, safely deep in the goblin's own half. This wouldn't usually have been a problem, but for the Skaven's speed. And yes, the ball ended up in a gutter runner's hands. Luckily for the Bombers, however: chainsaw, red cross, dugout, and the ball is free and being whipped up field. There's no chance of a delay, so it's bye bye to both secret weapons.

Crunchy Skaven 1 - 2 Black Bombers

The fans are frothing with excitement at this point, so the ref has to stop play for a while. The Bombers' coach is guessing that his counterpart is weighing up a tricky situation: go for a quick touchdown again and risk a TTM in response, or play it slow and settle for the draw? Either way, play starts and a flurry of casualties on both sides leaves the match in a chaotic state, not to mention the initial failed pickup with allows the gobbos to put some early pressure on the ball. The Skaven recover, but only at the cost of their positioning.

Obviously going for the quick play, but fearing the goblin's interception crazed pogoer, the Skaven switch flanks and pass to a gutter runner not quite in range to score easily in his next turn. A quick blitz and the ball is in green hands once more... but, unfortunately, those belonging to the blitzing player. He stands there with it dumbfounded, while the Skaven push him around a bit. (Maybe they also called him some nasty names? We can't know, magical microphones evidently being banned from the pitch.) In any case, he becomes galvanised to action, dodges away from his wall of marking rats, and sprints the ball into the hands of the previously offending pogoer, who, yet again, bounces into the distance.

Crunchy Skaven 1 - 3 Black Bombers

The Skaven set up for a final one turn consolation score, but, alas, it is not to be.

Final score: Crunchy Skaven 1 - 3 Black Bombers

--------------------

It was a a really fun and exciting match overall, with some properly tense moments, and hats off to Zenohero for being a great sport throughout. Both teams suffered some crazy thrills and spills, but the goblins probably had the better of the luck throughout, by a small margin. Amusingly, just as Zenohero was bemoaning his relationship with Nuffle, the gobbos rolled up a BD/Skulls, rerolled to double skulls as their first action of the turn.

The Bombers, needless to say, are rather pleased to have avoided relegation, and are, in fact, shaping up into a reasonable team. Now let's hope for some slightly higher TV opponents for a change...

Zenohero
25-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Thank you for the game Cyber, it was quite fun and exciting :). It was a game of high and lows, but on the bright side I'm excited by the lack of injuries on my side and happy that their was not a serious amount of injuries on your side either :). Yeah, I was expecting you to murder a player of mine after I asked nuffle for love. Apparently nuffle 6'ed the urge to shower me in love*. Can we please have the game vaildated please? the game was in division E, so as to avoid the murdering at the hands of President Weasel.

* the murder of helpless rats

cyberpunkdreams
25-11-2012, 02:18 AM
Thank you for the game Cyber, it was quite fun and exciting :). It was a game of high and lows, but on the bright side I'm excited by the lack of injuries on my side and happy that their was not a serious amount of injuries on your side either :). Yeah, I was expecting you to murder a player of mine after I asked nuffle for love. Apparently nuffle 6'ed the urge to shower me in love*. Can we please have the game vaildated please? the game was in division E, so as to avoid the murdering at the hands of President Weasel.

* the murder of helpless rats

Yes, casualties were fairly low, with only one MNG (apoc'ed from dead) and no permanents. I noticed that you got a mauling in your first match of the season; I'm surprised about how quickly you've recovered in fact!

grinn
25-11-2012, 04:52 AM
Corkir - one more match to go to claim your (actual) undefeated run. Throw me a pm with a day when you can get a slice of green into your victory salad...

sketchseven
25-11-2012, 03:13 PM
My favourite beastman is called Abandoning Hope.

I did try and kill this bastard on T16 with a 3 man foul, as that's all I could get forward to put him down. Trouble with facing a Chaos team with Humans is you have to elf them, not bash them, and my team does not have the skills for elfing yet.

Ah well. I was facing off against three highly developed teams with essentially rookie humans. Back down to tier 3. If you buggers up above me could stop dropping out, that'd be awesome.

NieA7
25-11-2012, 03:26 PM
I should be able to make it in time for the next season of the Divs so I've removed the Z from Tooth and Claw on the spreadsheet. What were the rules for returning teams? As far as I can remember they get slotted back into the tier they were in wherever possible, or failing that the tier below (and so on), but it might have changed since then. Claw were in tier 1, though I wouldn't having a friendly kick about with a few elf teams from a lower tier if needs be...

Everblue
25-11-2012, 04:20 PM
You have the makings of a good side Sketch. Plenty of guard on the blitzers, a good ogre, and a decent thrower. With some lower TV opponents and a catcher or two then you should be fine.

Like I said, I don't like humans at all except as pure bash. Yes one plan would have been to out-elf my chaos team, but that requires an investment in skills, and essentially I am just playing shit elves who can't reliably dodge, throw or catch (which is what happened!). As a bash side, however, humans are ok - the blitzers are decent players with guard, mighty blow and tackle (plus maybe a bit of piling on), one of the better big guys, and plenty of cheap linemen for fouling.

I'd try to get at least one catcher, to be a blodger with sidestep and diving tackle (if he lives that long), and I'd get a dirty player to make your fouls more effective.

You seem to have a knack for picking difficult sides to play - wasn't it norse before this?

Alistair Hutton
25-11-2012, 07:29 PM
You have the makings of a good side Sketch. Plenty of guard on the blitzers, a good ogre, and a decent thrower. With some lower TV opponents and a catcher or two then you should be fine.

Like I said, I don't like humans at all except as pure bash. Yes one plan would have been to out-elf my chaos team, but that requires an investment in skills, and essentially I am just playing shit elves who can't reliably dodge, throw or catch (which is what happened!). As a bash side, however, humans are ok - the blitzers are decent players with guard, mighty blow and tackle (plus maybe a bit of piling on), one of the better big guys, and plenty of cheap linemen for fouling.

I'd try to get at least one catcher, to be a blodger with sidestep and diving tackle (if he lives that long), and I'd get a dirty player to make your fouls more effective.

You seem to have a knack for picking difficult sides to play - wasn't it norse before this?

As the owner of a team that at one point rocked 7 players with Guard I can absolutely attest to the utility of lashings of Guard on a Human team. But Humans have got to remain flexible. If they commit to the bash route then they're just a Faster Orc team without a 1TTD gimmick play goblin and a severe raw strength deficient due to no Black Orcs.

Getting better at bashing is important but you've got to pay attention to the Elf side of human nature. Of all the skills I think it's String Arm that really opens up the elfball side of the game for humans.

chadsexington
25-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Division K

50 Shades of Beard (Chaos Dwarf - me) vs All the Shinies (High Elf - Dolphan)

I went into this game optimistic - Dolphans elves had taken a beating, leaving only 8 rostered players after last week. Dolphan was also given 160k worth of inducements, which he used to get an extra team reroll and some babes.

I win the toss and elect to receive. Instead of going for the obvious 2-1 grind I thought I'd attempt to bash the bulk of his AV7 squishy SPP containers into unconsciousness.

The kickoff lands off-field. Nuffle givith the ball to one of my centaurs as I start to plan my 8 turn advance to a TD. Dolphan is stacking his defense two deep to try to prevent me from breaking away. No issues there, as I really just want to run headlong into his elves with a handful of blocky dwarves. The issue I do have, however, is that there are far too many elves stacked up on one side and i'd like to gain more than a single square of movement.

I move two of my cage spots to the new location, and the second dwarf fails his first GFI with a TRR.

Nuffle Taketh Away.

This leaves my cage rather open. Dolphan takes andvantage of that and marks who he can and does a single die charge at my centaur. POW. The ball lands into one of the nearby elves waiting arms.

Nuffle taketh a bit more.

There is some more bashy bashy, the ball ends up on the ground, with each team trying to position themselves for a good grab and score.

Dolphan looks like he can get a good setup to a TD with one player deep in my territory and only a few blocks needed and some luck to free up the ball.

First block rolls both-down/skull TRR'd into double skulls.

Nuffle giveth a little back.

I bash out the remaining ball markers, scoop the ball with my sure hands hobgob, and hand off to a centaur who is off to the races, scoring on turn 8.

Beard 1 - Shinies 0

Kicking the ball off I felt Dolphan was going to easily score, but I wanted to give him a run for his money first. Dolphan has some early setbacks and has to retreat deep into his own territory with a single blitzer, carrying the ball.

I clear a lone hobbo to give the single die herocharge - push. Still marking, so good enough. I do what I can to keep Dolphan's remaining elves covered to avoid the quick TD - also trying to setup another run at that blitzer if he gives me the chance.

He does not give me that chance as he stuns that marking hobbo and sends a plethora of players in deep. I setup again to try and keep everyone marked, and end up failing my first GFI with a TRR. Thats twice now.

I go afk while Dolphan scores somehow (no doubt easily as several players were wide open, I just didn't see how he did it).

Beard 1 - Shinies 1

I now have four turns or so to score. During my setup one of my poor hobbo's gets BH'd by an elf. As I remark that its a shame to get out-injured by filthy elves, I kill a catcher - no apoth around to save him. Looks like Dolphan will need just a bit longer to field a full roster.

I setup a centaur to receive the miracle handoff for a quick TD, but a poorly timed turnover gives me the chance to run the ball and cage up instead.

With 1 turn to score, and plenty of space, I'm already counting my win when Dolphan gets all the clutch dodges he needs and ensures that he won't be scoring.

And he doesn't.

Beard 1 - Shinies 1

Good game Dolphan

smaug81
26-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Graever and I just finished our week 3 match in Div. D. There may be more of a report later if I have the time, but for now validation would be appreciated, as my murderous outlier of a Nurgle Warrior should be hitting level 5.

Incidentally, I'd be interested in hearing opinions on what I should take. He currently has Block-MB-Claw. He is intended to be a killer, as should be obvious :P.

Options I'm considering are: Frenzy, Tackle, Pro (or anything I've missed that would fit well with his role).

I'm not really looking to take Piling On, as I'd prefer to let my opponents have to figure out a way to knock him over :P.

So, thoughts?

Kapouille
26-11-2012, 12:21 AM

Right... I waited all evening but... Sounds like Sollitus couldn't make it. I guess that means we gotta roll this day over. Sorry other guys from div G for keeping you waiting :(

NieA7
26-11-2012, 01:29 AM
Incidentally, I'd be interested in hearing opinions on what I should take. He currently has Block-MB-Claw. He is intended to be a killer, as should be obvious :P.

If you don't want to go for Piling On I'd probably take tackle. Frenzy is a double edged sword but could work well if you have a lot of guard elsewhere, though pro is distinctly meh IMO. There's a couple of outliers you might want to think about too, like Prehensile Tail to stop elfs escaping (even more so after tackle), or Stand Firm to have a better chance of being in the right place to get blocks in.

Gorm
26-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Tackle for sure.

20phoenix
26-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Tackle for sure.

I have a warrior in the Open with exactly that build and he is brutal. Frenzy is not good on a mv 4 piece as it can get you burning RR/turning over.

Screwie
26-11-2012, 03:03 AM
Tackle is a solid pick.

Piling On is not a bad pick for killing efficiency either, since he's not a Guard piece and Disturbing Presence still works from prone.

Although if you want to make him really annoying to push over, as a ST4 guy I'd consider giving him Guard (with a view to get Stand Firm later so he can retaliate with ease).

potatoedoughnut
26-11-2012, 05:11 AM
If you have lots of guard to ensure you don't get into frenzy traps the odds of knocking over a dodge player with frenzy and with tackle on 2d are the same, and frenzy has other uses. However, frenzy isn't so hot on MV4 (be careful blitzing) and if you don't have lots of guard it can lead to trouble vs teams that do.

Tackle is nice in that you can give him prehensile tail or DT (on doubles) later to really tie down high agi players.

Personally I'd give him guard if you're not going to give him PO. I think not giving him PO is a good choice and I think guard is going to give you more team benefit than tackle or frenzy, unless you already have tons of guard.

sketchseven
26-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Getting better at bashing is important but you've got to pay attention to the Elf side of human nature. Of all the skills I think it's Strong Arm that really opens up the elfball side of the game for humans.

Ultimately you need to be flexible and build a team that allows you to play whatever game the other team doesn't. If you're facing Elves, you need to be bashy and splatter them all over the pitch. If you're playing Chaos, you need to be more choosy and elf-like in your play. Trying to out-elf Elves or out-bash Chaos just doesn't work.

I bought a catcher after the game, because it was abundantly clear I needed at least one and probably two. I can easily see my Human team having 15 or 16 players on the roster, although I admit that will be giving away quite a lot in inducements to other teams.

Or not. Depends on how the skills break down when they come.

groovychainsaw
26-11-2012, 02:34 PM
My humans have 15 players! Also, give away a fair number of inducements! But I like having 4 catchers, then running them all down one wing for a quick score against slow, bashy teams. They can kill one, but not all 4 in one turn, and one's in range of the line, usually :-). (That's when Al's aforementioned strong arm thrower comes in, of course. Mine has strong arm and accurate, meaning all throws are at 2+ without any TZ on my thrower, so can long bomb with relative impunity). Catchers are needed to counter bashy teams, then the rest of your players are there to counter everyone else. I suspect though, that the surprise tactic of adding defensive skills to catchers is probably worthwhile (and not something I did early on). They kinda have all the catchy skills out of the box, and serve well once they have wrestle/tackle/dauntless. I'm building one to be pass block/tackle now for added anti-elf fun :-).

Gorm
26-11-2012, 02:39 PM
I've got a gutterrunner with, very long legs, pass block, catch, and +1 str. Just for playing against anyone who feels like passing.

groovychainsaw
26-11-2012, 03:08 PM
...and that's why nearly all my blitzers have block,tackle and mighty blow. Those sort of guys are annoying :-).

sketchseven
26-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Yup, the human team needs a lot of work - but I'm like TV1200 and am in Tier 2. That's my problem right there. Ah well, I'll be dropping back to Tier 3 once this round of the DoD is over and hopefully that'll allow me to come back a little stronger.

cyberpunkdreams
26-11-2012, 03:29 PM
I've got a gutterrunner with, very long legs, pass block, catch, and +1 str. Just for playing against anyone who feels like passing.

I've got a pogoer with pass block and cater. He did his thing right and proper in his last game.

ChainsawHands
26-11-2012, 03:35 PM
I've got a pogoer with pass block and cater. He did his thing right and proper in his last game.I thought cater was a halfling-only skill.

sketchseven
26-11-2012, 03:39 PM
This is why I need a lino with dirty player. For those bastards. And beastmen with claw and mighty blow.

cyberpunkdreams
26-11-2012, 03:44 PM
I thought cater was a halfling-only skill.

We really need to start an alternative skills thread...

Everblue
26-11-2012, 03:51 PM
I think if you want to play a passing game, human catchers need diving catch. 1/9 failure rate on AG3 catching is far too high in my opinion. Likewise the throwers - with accurate a human thrower throws a long pass on a 4+ and a long bomb on a 5+.

A human thrower with accurate and an AG3 catcher will fail a short pass (a *short* pass) 21% of the time. Far too unreliable.

I have seen a fun catcher build with block, side step and shadowing. If you can get him next to the ball carrier he is a right bastard to get rid of.

cyberpunkdreams
26-11-2012, 04:01 PM
We really need to start an alternative skills thread...

E.g.:

Catering - how can you hurt someone who provided such excellent catering for your wedding or last victory banquet? When this player is injured, roll a D6 before any apothecary roll: on a 4+, the injury is translated to a KO. Normal skill for halfling players, doubles for everybody else.

smaug81
26-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the responses, folks. Good points all around. I had been leaning away from Frenzy for precisely the reasons y'all stated (bit of a liability without Guard, etc). Glad to have my reasoning backed up.

My other Warriors haven't been able to get past their first skill yet and my Beast rolled doubles right out of the gate, so while I have Block across the board, I'm sadly lacking in Guard. Which could make Guard a tempting pick. It's a question of whether to make him more a team player, or take Tackle and make him better at murdering Dodgy types.

Hmmm. Shall have to think on it some more. Thanks for helping me narrow it down a bit!

laneford
26-11-2012, 04:56 PM
You damn dirty apes, I'm back.

I would like to rejoin next season if possible, not sure what to put down on the spreadsheet.

groovychainsaw
26-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Laaaaaaaaaaneford! You're back. High five!

Will you be returning with your nurglators, or starting up a new and exciting new race? If new, stick an N1 instead of a Z, if the old team, stick an R1 next to you and we'll try and squeeze you in as close to the top as we can get you (given the violent nature of that team). Make sure you take the Z out, at least, so I don't miss you in the season changeover.

(obviously, the same goes for any other new/returning players! Hello, welcome, high five!)

laneford
26-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Ok, I'll probably bring back the nurgle if that's possible, as they were doing pretty well when I left them, and it would be a shame to deny them one final tilt at glory.

Alistair Hutton
26-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Now you have an Ogre and a catcher never forget you have "The Hammer" play up your sleeve.

On a touch back hand the ball you your Ogre. Charge down the centre of the pitch but have your catcher as one of the rear players of the cage round your Ogre. Watch as you opponents over commits in front of you Ogre then hand-off the ball to the catcher to run in unopposed. Or, if your opponent spreads out just keep running down the centre. My original Ogre (poor Torg, we knew him well) was joint highest TD scorer for a while on my team.

Also, groovy is a pussy. I play with 4 catchers on a 13 man team. Though I am painfully feeling the death of my Wrestle-Dauntless catcher the last few games.

Jarvis
26-11-2012, 05:54 PM
We've played all our games in div 1, can we get my match validated and the day rolled over please.

ChainsawHands
26-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Also, groovy is a pussy. I play with 4 catchers on a 13 man team.Yeah, a 13 man team with your fancy "AV8" and "having a big guy". I have 4 catchers on a 14 man team - of elfs! Now who's a pussy, Hutton?

Zoraster
26-11-2012, 06:04 PM
We've played all our games in div 1, can we get my match validated and the day rolled over please.

All sorted.

groovychainsaw
26-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Ooooh, no need to get bitchy Al ;-), I may slim down my team now that I've re-hired an ogre this season. Without the ogre, 14 players looked pretty lean. 15 with an ogre looks a bit bloaty. But my only level 1 players are catchers now, who I don't want to drop. Do i dorp a levelled lineman? I probably should, but seems a bit bold.

Alistair Hutton
26-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Yeah, a 13 man team with your fancy "AV8" and "having a big guy". I have 4 catchers on a 14 man team - of elfs! Now who's a pussy, Hutton?

Aren't your catchers basically supermen straight out of the box. Like having ST3 for example?

ChainsawHands
26-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Well, my catchers are better than human catchers, I'll give you that. Of course, pretty much everything's better than human catchers...

Everblue
26-11-2012, 06:45 PM
All your catchers are strength 4, though.

ChainsawHands
26-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Not so! One of them's AG5, and a ST4 one died last match.

Kapouille
26-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Gentleadmins... I finally got round to get the match with Sollitus started... Except it seems he got a connection lost (damn, just at the moment I managed to grab the ball off him!!).
I don't know what you guys want to do, since the match has been pushed quite a lot already.

desvergeh
27-11-2012, 02:13 AM
Division 1 - Bishi Bashi Speshal vs Cute Harmless Hippys

Don't believe it, it's a lie, they certainly aren't harmless!

My worst match as of yet.

First turn, he receives, and immediately breaks the jaw of one of my black orcs. Turn 2, two more injuries costing me another black orc and a blitzer. At this point he had also secured the ball and caged it up beyond any hopes for my violently diminished team.

No longer aiming to win, merely to survive, I grouped my players, and tried to inflict some injuries myself. But the dice were just not helping - a troll falling over and KOing himself for instance!

By the end of the match I had at least slowed Jarvis to 2 TDs, and even managed to draw even on numbers. Unfortunately the only real damage I achieved against him (a broken neck) was apoc'd to a badly hurt.

Final score 2-0 to Cute Harmless Hippys.

And I'm willing to tell Nuffle where to put that particular set of dice.

groovychainsaw
27-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Hi Kapouille, I think we'll set it to a 0-0, as Sollitus did at make the game finally.

Sollitus, let us know if you're having difficulties making the games! We'll try to be accommodating, but your opponents could do with a bit more communication!

EVERYONE - Remember the groups (up top) are there for organising the matches and should be the primary route for doing this!

Dentharial
27-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Just to say that Division F is still on Week 2 of the matches.

However, since my week 3 match is against Walrus, who is currently defaulting to Prester John (and hasn't been heard from all season), and Prester John's week 3 match is against Skydancer (who has properly announced that he will be defaulting all his games this season), there's no particular hurry on moving it forward.

Just wanted to be sure that the admins were aware of the situation.

Delusibeta
27-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Picked up the Legendary Edition in the Steam Sale for 3.74, since it seemed rude not to, and I'm debating joining the Divisions of Death next season. Problem: exams and Christmas. What are the odds of the next season starting before 12th December?

Sollitus
28-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Sorry guys im gonna have to drop out of this season, im to busy and have some family issues going on.....i tried playing my last match and my damn internet went out for like 5 hours. Not sure if or when ill be back to the bb grid iron but for right now, until i let you guys know other wise im gonna be inactive.

thanks sol

Squiz
28-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Cheese It!!! (Ska, Gorm)vs. Rock, Paper, Sneaky Git (Orc, me)

The final game of the current Division was a bit special for me. I have had my experiences with Skaven in the past and most of those memories aren't happy ones. If I had to criticise my own performance on the field, I'd say that positioning is my biggest weakness. Often I find my rather slow Orcs outplayed by more agile teams, which may not come as much of a surprise, but the most frustrating situations for me as a BB coach have always been those where I felt that I should have had things under control but didn't.

So having to face a halfway developed Skaven team while only sporting one Tackle player and having lost my Block-Thrower in the last game was not something I was looking forward to. Without going into too much detail I have to say that the game went pretty well for me. I won the coin toss, chose to kick for a good ol' 2-1 grind attempt and promptly got a Blitz! event to get things going. The first half I was busy throwing blocks against Gorm's rats while trying to somehow contain his Gutter Runners. The first part of the plan went alright, but not too long into the game a few rats managed to slip through my defense and carry the ball close to the scoring line. Luckily, I had a free Blitzer that - with support of my Goblin - managed to knock over the exposed ball carrier and allowed me to move the ball back, closer to the Line of Scrimmage. Reaching the midfield, the ball was quickly caged and a slow march upfield, back into the Skaven's half of the pitch began, ultimately resulting in a turn 8 TD for my Orcs.

In the second half, the ball was kicked not too deep, allowing me a quick advance using a Blitzer instead of my Thrower as a carrier. I think somewhere around this point already two rats where in the injury box, allowing me to capitalise on my strength advantage. It was also then that I realised how lucky I had been throughout the previous turns with my dice:

1. My Troll only ever failed a Really Stupid roll once and apart from that one time behaved very well, always trotting to where I needed him.

2. I didn't fail any pick up attempts. My Goblin even managed to get the ball out from under the long nose of one of Gorm's players and dodge away with it.

3. Said Goblin made a successful short pass to a Blitzer in the second half.

4. A misclick of mine made us watch a Black Orc Blocker nimbly dodge away from his opponent.

The Orcs then continued their slow stroll down the field, resulting in a second TD with two turns left on the clock. But it was in the very last turn, even with the very last action of the game, that the most dramatic event of the whole match took place. After setting up for the final drive, a heated melee developed near the Line of Scrimmage. My suspicion is that the rats went into a collective bloodlust after having been denied their cheese for too long. Whatever the reasons for their behaviour, the oversized rodents beat on my greenskins in a storm of blocks. One particularly savage rat then jumped at a Black Orc - and tripped. Skull. Both as the result on the die and as the small icon hovering above its limp body. Luckily, a quick professional intervention by the apothecary turned what would have been a tragedy into a MNG.

Thank you Gorm for this match which was the final one for RPS forum allstars.

Edit: Also, your sidestepping blodging Storm Vermin is a plague. A plague!!

LowKey
28-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Picked up the Legendary Edition in the Steam Sale for 3.74, since it seemed rude not to, and I'm debating joining the Divisions of Death next season. Problem: exams and Christmas. What are the odds of the next season starting before 12th December?

ello ello, I would think fairly high, the season ends on the 3rd December and so ideally I think we would try and get the next started by that weekend, this of course depends on our beloved admins herding us beloved cats

groovychainsaw
28-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Hi Delusibeta, I'd hope we could get going before the 12th, like lowkey says. Additionally, we usually double one of the weeks over xmas (so a 20 day window!) due to scheduling being a bit more difficult, and we're much more likely to grant extensions etc. over the xmas period, if that helps?

@Sollitus, sorry to see you go, thanks for letting us know. I'll mark you as Z on the sheet for next season if you haven't done already.

ADDITIONAL - If anyone's posted in here declaring their absence from next season, could they (or someone who's been paying attention) enter them as Z on the sheet in the 'next season' column? I've got squirrel and sollitus so far in there.... plus it looks like we have 3 returning/rebooting players and 2 new?

Kapouille
28-11-2012, 12:00 PM
May I gently, respectfully and with all the due reference nudge any of the gentleadmins to move div G to day 3 please?

That way, will be able to proceed to get laminated by short and stout fellers.

Screwie
28-11-2012, 12:09 PM
ADDITIONAL - If anyone's posted in here declaring their absence from next season, could they (or someone who's been paying attention) enter them as Z on the sheet in the 'next season' column? I've got squirrel and sollitus so far in there.... plus it looks like we have 3 returning/rebooting players and 2 new?

Should rebooters put Zs in the Next Season column? Or Rs? Or nothing at all?

Also Hands (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?54-RPS-Blood-Bowl-League-The-many-many-Divisions-of-Death!&p=218701&viewfull=1#post218701) is hibernating, I believe.

groovychainsaw
28-11-2012, 01:42 PM
May I gently, respectfully and with all the due reference nudge any of the gentleadmins to move div G to day 3 please?

That way, will be able to proceed to get laminated by short and stout fellers.

Hi Kapouille, thought I did this last night, give me a shout if that's not the case!

@Screwie - Yup, R for rebooters in there, Z is only for people departing... I'll mark up CSH in the sheet too.

Kapouille
28-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Hi Kapouille, thought I did this last night, give me a shout if that's not the case!

Ah, you're certainly right, I checked around 9pm yesterday, but not after that. Thanks Groovy!

sketchseven
28-11-2012, 08:27 PM
I'll be dropping out for next season - got some seasonal work for December that basically means I'll be working just about every evening from now until Christmas Eve. Hope to return in the New Year.

potatoedoughnut
29-11-2012, 11:12 PM
How do you like this for a lazy match report? Division D!

http://bbm.jcmag.fr/BloodBowlManager.WebSite/ImageMatchReport.aspx?Id=200101&lang=en

Alistair Hutton
29-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Division C
(The Brain) Masquerade Ballers - Altdorf Army (Me)

The key thing for Human's to do is to play the opposite game to what their opponent is playing. This game was a classic demonstration of this. The Brain was playing the old "Fail every roll" strategy so the Army played "Pass every roll". 4 Elves in the casualty bucket, 4 TDs to the Army to only one in response. A pitch invasion wiped out half The Brain's team and left only two humans hurt. 2+ dodges with dodge failed with regularity. The litany of disasters was never ending.

Final score 4 - 1.

ChainsawHands
30-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Ah, the number 1. Greatest of all the enemies of elf-kind.

The Brain
30-11-2012, 08:35 AM
The only good thing I can say about that match is that I didn't get any permanent injuries. I went into it looking for a promotion but came out glad I didn't have to retire my team.

President Weasel
30-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Another one learns to Fear The Hutton.

Everblue
30-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Tier 2 is looking increasingly nasty for next season - there will be plenty of bash in there based upon current league positions.

It should actually be quite a good tier for a dodgy set of elves, who can sneak in a few wins while the chaos and orcs beat each other up.

Alistair Hutton
30-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Another one learns to Fear The Hutton.

I honestly didn't have to do too much to win that. I received, sent an elf to the injury box. Ran two AG 4 catchers into his half. Passed and scored. He received, I put another elf into the injury box. Got a line to 1 dice block with the living god that is Wulf, recoverd the ball with Grayland, cursed as he was non fatally lightning bolted but still secured the ball and KO'd and elf to make it 2-0. Half time The Brain finally gets a diceroll to go his way and he scores a 2-turn elf touch down (the computer manages to cock up an autopath by me so instead of a clean blitz my player does a -2 dice dodge to attempt the Blitz and fails. I respond with a 2 turn Human touch down. And put another elf in the injury box (plus one in the KO box) at this point it turns out that all the Elves I've injured are the elves with Guard so my bash superiority was utterly overwhelming. Combined with the fact that every pass, dodge, catch and GFI I attempted (bar the misclick) succeeded. At this point, however, all of The Brain's stored up luck was used on a single turn that was simply too ridiculous to describe and 3-2 with enough turns left for a fuck up was looking a possibility. Alas he was one square short and I was able to blitz the ball carrier who failed to recover the next turn (fumbling a pickup in tackle zone) and I was able to move the ball the length of the pitch (pickup, throw, catch, hand off with unskilled players and no re-rolls used) to score my 4th. And send a 4th elf to the injury box.

Everything went right for me. Everything.

Also, I love Grab on my Blitzer. It kills pro-elf teams dead.

The Brain
30-11-2012, 01:44 PM
I knew the game was going to go badly when you injured my Blodge, guard catcher in the first turn. You also forgot to mention that when I set up for my first offensive play a pitch invasion wiped out half my team so I ended up having to try and use the line of unconscious elves as a caging tactic. Unsurprisingly it didn't work out so well. The one mega lucky play almost made up for the whole game of bad luck but sadly wasn't to be either. I'd stick a video of it up if I knew how. I've put the match on BBmanager if anyone wants to see what a really good nuffling looks like. Not to take anything away from Mr Hutton as it was always going to be a tough match to win anyway. Roll on next season, I'll get a promotion eventually.

Delusibeta
02-12-2012, 12:01 AM
I've decided I'm going to join next season, rolling a Human team with rubbish player names due to a complete lack of inspiration. Fear the wrath of White von Mann!

So yeah, applied to RPS group, added details to the snazzy spreadsheet, filling up the Human quota and about to join the Steam group. Did I mess anything up?

[Edit] I should note that I won't be formally available for matches before the evening of December 10th, but that shouldn't be *too* much of a problem.

Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo
02-12-2012, 08:45 AM
bump......?

Web Cole
02-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Reaffirming my interest in playing next season :)

The Brain
02-12-2012, 02:32 PM
So yeah, applied to RPS group, added details to the snazzy spreadsheet, filling up the Human quota and about to join the Steam group. Did I mess anything up?

That about covers everything I think. Keep an eye on the thread for when the next season will start as there is usually some shuffling of teams and appplying to divisions to be done.

President Weasel
02-12-2012, 06:58 PM
The Red Skull Reavers actually won a game in Div H. Truly it is a sign of the End Times. The Mayans were right.
Deesno Cacamas's almost brand new undead team (5 games played) came up against my veteran chaos team with 38 games under their belt. They've seen it all, the Red Skull Reavers: the long, agonizing struggle to reach the impossibly lofty pinnacle of the Champs' Division, the reorganisation of the league just after they got there to make the whole feat much less impressive, the depressing plummet in straight seasons from the top of the pyramid to Div H in the third tier. They've seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, watched C beams glitter off the Tannhauser Gate, faced the might of the Altdorf Army in the days it fielded 8 players with guard, tried in vain to stop Chainsawhands scoring touchdowns with elves... all these things will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
But not today. For the Red Skull Reavers redeemed themselves, and finally won a game, so they're not going to die today. We'll see you next season, Divisions of Death!

(also we killed Cacamas's only stat up player, a str 4 ghoul, so I feel a little guilty - but they're doomed from the start, ghouls, with paper armour and no regen, and it's not like I killed him on purpose. Seems a shame though).

Cacamas
02-12-2012, 07:06 PM
It was close, until turn 12. Tied at 1-1, the ball was loose surrounded by players from both teams.
Then my mummy hit the deck on a 2d block, which led to my str 4 ghoul getting killed, which was followed by a push back of my vampire knocking the ball into the arms of a nearby beastie when the scatter could've equally gone to one of my players, which was then followed by a succession of hits knocking virtually my entire team down.
Since I was already outnumbered with my two zombies getting badly hurt and KO'd respectively on the first turn of the half, it made the winning score inevitable. Even so, I had a sniff of a chance to stop the score when a failed dodge opened the way for a 2d block on the ball carrier with my vamp. Never mind, he failed the dodge and following loner reroll. >:(

Blackest of Black Blacks 1 - 2 Red Skull Reavers
Div H

Alistair Hutton
02-12-2012, 08:18 PM
faced the might of the Altdorf Army in the days it fielded 8 players with guard

Do not give your self airs and graces. I've never had 8 players with Guard.

My high water mark was 7 players with guard which lasted for about 2 games before my team started suffering from a bad case of death.

At best you have faced a 6 Guard team. And got beat, MWUHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA.

President Weasel
02-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Jeez, let a man have a little poetic license

Elesium
02-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Well thats Div J done now!

Elesium 4 - 1 Recoil

Was a good game, no deaths of injuries and could have gone either way....except every 2+ dice roll that Recoil had to make he failed, every GFI, quite a few dodges and just generally had a bad time of it. Nuffle is as always a benevolent god and put the ball exactly where I needed it for my AG5 catcher to get lots more SPP.

May even keep the team after this! Will need to see how it looks when the season ends.

President Weasel
02-12-2012, 10:53 PM
validated.

Heliocentric
02-12-2012, 11:34 PM
I know this thread has alot of legacy, but I think it might be time for a new one the poll bug is stopping Rotekian
from accessing the thread.

In the mean time I will Create a little pocket thread for him which quotes the leading post in this thread.

20phoenix
02-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Div B is also a wrap. A 1-0 win against Daves Nurgle means I get to loiter in tier 2 for another season

Screwie
03-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Division 2
Sorrow in Naggaroth:
Dread Pool Mourn and Drink Blood of Fallen
Teammate at Memorial Sacrifice and Buffet
Neulan the Nasty, then youngest of Dread Pool's terrible
"Guard Bastard" trio, was killed in action today during the
Pool's season-closing Division 2 victory against the Agathis
Avengers, a wood elf team. Neulan was posthumously
awarded the MVP medal by his team.

"It's not right, when life snatches away something so
precious to you," Esrel Rage, a fellow Guard Bastard and the
most inexplicably-rewarded member of the dark elf squad, said
when pressed for comment. "I mean, he's dead - it's not like
he can use it," he later added, over the sound of his six MVP
medals jangling.

Other members of the close-knit team have paid tribute to
the fallen Neulan. Obsidian, the team's lone witch elf, built a
funerary display from his widow's blood and entrails. "I feel
it's what he would have wanted," she was heard to say.

---

Agathis Avengers (WElf, AgP) vs Dread Pool (DElf, me)
Full-Time Score: 5 - 1 to the Pool

So this happened!

Probably my team's best ever result... although it was not without some terrible luck for AgP. As Nuffle would have it, he missed a couple of crucial rolls which would have made the scores a lot closer. It was 2-1 at half time, with everything still to play for.

The story of the match was a cool, calculated game of elf chess where the mistakes really mattered. Every drive seemed to come down to permutations on similar tactics; AgP's thrower would wait in the backfield while his many catchers and wardancer sought open space away from my Shadowers, Tacklers and Pass Blockers - all while one of my lot charges upfield to interfere.

AgP was cruelly robbed of two almost-sure TDs by GFI rolls failing on the end zone, and a third certain goal by a fantastic Pass Block interception (AgP took care to position his thrower as far as he could outside the Pass Blocker's reach, but the line of the pass still gave my guy one valid square to move to... and it was enough).

AgP's second wardancer died on a bad dodge early in the match - but she was only level 2 and already had a niggle, so AgP didn't bother to save her. Later I lost my lvl 2 Guard lineman in a block, but it was too early and he was too green, so I didn't fancy saving him either. Annoyingly the MVP he went on to earn would have made him level 3 - and my apothecary went unused the entire match.

I can't exactly complain, though. My MA 8 witch elf was the real star of the show, scoring four TDs. My fifth was from one of my runners, who has also levelled from the SPPs in this game.

AgP was a gracious player even when things just weren't going his way. The scoreline really does not reflect the quality of the match at all - if a couple of crucial rolls had gone the other way for either of us it could have been an utterly different outcome. Great match!

President Weasel
03-12-2012, 02:10 AM
validated, roll your level ups :)

Alistair Hutton
03-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Jeez, let a man have a little poetic license

Poetic license, also know as lies, also know as "He's not even a real Weasel", also known as "Why hasn't my Div C game with The Brain been validated, I want 8 players with Guard?"

ChainsawHands
03-12-2012, 10:36 AM
A real weasel? I don't think he's even a real *president*. It's all just lies built on lies, Al.

Everblue
03-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Ahem. Are your hands chainsaws?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

ChainsawHands
03-12-2012, 12:14 PM
They are, actually, as illustrated in this 100% genuine picture of me: 2257

darkweeble
03-12-2012, 01:54 PM
I've Z'd myself out for next season. I don't think I'll have enough free time on my hands in the coming weeks, but I may be back after the new year. Foul Helio for me.

desvergeh
03-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Division 1 - Bishi Bashi Speshal vs The 4 Colour Villains.

A good close match.

After the severe drubbing the Speshal have received in their last two matches, it was nice to see luck turn in their favour. Despite making several mistakes in my defence, The Villains just couldn't get their passes to connect. This allowed me time to maximise my blocking, which did connect.

The 2nd half saw me 1-0 up, and happy to stall for time. An attempt by The Villains scariest player (+2 Str Blitzer) to break my cage left him vulnerable, and The Speshal didn't need another invite to give him the kicking he obviously deserved. Fortunately Groovy had his apothecary left to change the broken neck to merely a broken jaw (I think).

The final turn saw The Villains attempt a potential equalizing pass, which again failed at the last hurdle.

Final score 1-0 to Bishi Bashi Speshal.

Corkir
03-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Final game in the championship will go unplayed. Our work schedules have combined to wipe out the options. Now grinn is stuck in work tonight and I need an early night.

I have checked the stats in game and grinn is so far ahead on the tie break there was no prospect of relegation even if i had won and as i intended to foul out my key players to keep them fit for next season while farming pass spps on a few linemen that wasnt likely anyway.

By my calculations i would have needed to outscore/cas by around 20, a very tall order even against a squad of snotlings.

President Weasel
03-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Poetic license, also know as lies, also know as "He's not even a real Weasel", also known as "Why hasn't my Div C game with The Brain been validated, I want 8 players with Guard?"

I can't believe it was still not validated even now. I have validated it, and I wish you luck with your level ups.

mrpier
03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Wonder if I should reboot then, I've got the ratz to the championship and didn't make it. I'll check what races are free.

I'm thinking Vampires, Undead or Chaos.

Kajo
04-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Me and Janek will need an extension please, will play wednesday

Screwie
04-12-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm counting on your to beat Janek, Kajo! :)

groovychainsaw
04-12-2012, 12:42 PM
A few games still outstanding and the season finished... last night! So, tardy folks, you're lucky I'm not really in the next couple of nights, but friday morning I will be defaulting anything that hasn't been played, doing promotions and setting up for the live draw (which will probably be sunday night?).

New guys/departures make sure everything in the sheet is up to date (it looks pretty good to me). If someone's been missing for the last 2 games in your divisions, let us know in here so we can mark them up as Z if they're AWOL without any reason.

Everyone - check we haven't marked you as 'Z' by mistake before friday!!

President Weasel
04-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Groovy, do you think the new season would be a good time to draw a line under the current threadnaught, and move to a new thread?
The first post in this one is a little out of date (with the "organise your matches HERE" pointing to a thread we no longer use) and there's a closed poll at the top of it. Also there are 406 pages, which might be intimidating to new players.

Dentharial
04-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Unless Walrus replies er...now, then he's been missing for all 3 games, as far as I'm aware. This is in Division F.

groovychainsaw
04-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Alright, good points all regarding the thread, it's worrying if people can't post in here (and it's bothered me that I can't remove a poll once added for a while).

NEW SEASON WILL MEAN A NEW THREAD. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED> FURTHER MESSAGES TO COME...

@Dentharial, I've Z'd walrus out for now.
WALRUS, feel free to remove that Z if you intend to keep playing next season?

ChainsawHands
04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
NEW SEASON WILL MEAN A NEW THREAD. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED> FURTHER MESSAGES TO COME...I knew this thread couldn't survive without me.

Screwie
04-12-2012, 01:46 PM
About time!

mrpier
04-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Right, I've set myself up as rebootin' as Chaos next season, I might change my mind until friday, but I doubt it. My first team in the divisions was a Chaos team with no rerolls, I will not make that same terrible mistake twice.

President Weasel
04-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Not when there are so many other terrible mistakes to make!

20phoenix
04-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Like choosing chaos?

Delusibeta
04-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Like choosing chaos?

lol

I'm wondering if my boring humans with default stats and three re-rolls will be good enough. Then again I basically don't know anything as far as strategy is concerned outside of "get the ball and run down the field".

Alistair Hutton
05-12-2012, 09:55 AM
I can't believe it was still not validated even now. I have validated it, and I wish you luck with your level ups.

Wulf levelled up. He's now my Stand Firm, Might Blow, Guard, Tackle, Dodge, Block Blitzer.

I was tempted by Piling On for a while and also thought about Shadowing but I realised I didn't have enough of the "Fuck you buddy" skills on my team, only one player with Side Step and that's it.

Alistair Hutton
05-12-2012, 10:15 AM
lol

I'm wondering if my boring humans with default stats and three re-rolls will be good enough. Then again I basically don't know anything as far as strategy is concerned outside of "get the ball and run down the field".

There's a few posts by me on this board about exactly how cool and sexy you have to be to play Humans. 3 Re-rolls is a good amount. Did you go Ogre?

Humans starting up is really, really rough. Everyone is better than you. At everything. I think the Ogre is important to stop the Elven sides from out bashing you. The first game I played in the DoD I earned zero SPPs (even the MVP died). It was brutal. The key is getting Guard ASAP on as many players as you can to make you better at bash (any other skill on a Blitzer is a luxury you can't afford early on, I would even recommend forgoing Dodge on your Blitzers on a double to get Guard as first skill up. You could maybe allow your 4th Blitzer to go Mighty Blow as first skill to create a killer). Accurate on your thrower only makes you fractionally better at a passing game, Strong Arm is the game changer (along with Accurate). If I was ruthless I'd be willing to hire and fire Throwers if they don't hit a double by their second skill roll.

Eventually you'll get your bash game to a high enough level that you can start dispensing with Linemen and replacing them with fragile, awful Catchers. You'd be surprised by the number of coaches you panic at the sight of 4 human Catchers legging it into their backfield on offence. To begin with though you should start speccing the Catchers up as defensive players to deal with the more agile teams. MV 8 and catch is good enough as offensive skills to start with, they don't need that much help scoring (this is a lie, AG 4 helps them a fuck load). Wrestle & Diving Tackle & Tackle as a combo can really upset players who've been specced out the wazoo to be invulnerable. And Dauntless. Nothing funnier than a Human Catcher with Wrestle and Dauntless sprinting 9 squares and taking down the ball carrier deep in the backfield. They're like a shit version of a Gutter Runner that way.

But that last paragraph is for the future. To start with you've got to play a mobile running game. Screen you Thrower and work back and forth across the pitch hoping your opponent pulls themselves thin and then punch the gap to go through.

Dentharial
05-12-2012, 11:15 AM
[Cool sounding human stuff snipped so I'm not quoting something huge for a 2 line reply.]

All that strategy sounds really cool. It actually makes me want to play something with a bit more finesse, rather than the "WAAAAAGH! HIT 'IM AGAIN!" tactics that I employ as orcs.

Dog Pants
05-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Div A: Anupshi Rises (KHE, Dog Pants) 0 - 1 Death Vengeance of Doom (LIZ, Wink5000)

The final game of the season for Div A could end in promotion for either team. It starts with a short kick to the Death Vengeance of Doom which falls short and bounces of the back of one of the defenders' heads. With a free pickup the ball is given to a Saurus and the Lizardmen waste no time in smashing into the Khemri line. The ball moves little for a few minutes, but two Anupshi players are taken off in the violent manoeuvring. As things being to mix up and the defenders thin out the Lizards suddenly thrust down the right field. A handful of Khemri get behind the ball to slow the advance but the ball carrier smashes free and doglegs across the pitch towards the touchline. A desperate, dodging response by a sparse couple of defenders somehow manages to knock the charging Saurus down, but can't stop the trailing Skink following up and stealing the ball from under their noses to saunter over the line.
The kick-off restarts the match too long this time and is given to a winging Tomb Guardian who smashes down the left flank, but faced with the ticking clock overextends and falls as he is squeezed against the line.

Death Vengeance of Doom kick again for the start of the second half, with the Anupshi star Thro-Ra getting under the ball for a first time catch. The attackers waste no time in charging up the weak right field en-masse and are three quarters of the way to the touchline before they lose their momentum. The ball carrier pushes free of the pack and makes a dash with a couple of escorts, but as defending Lizards close in a lightning bolt hurtles from the crowd and blasts him into unconsciousness. Both teams close in and the ball is knocked around in the brawl, eventually landing in the hands of the DVoD veteran Saurus. Deflecting all attacks as he grinds his way out of the scrum he breaks free and hurries back down the pitch for another attempt at scoring. A few Khemri near the back of the pack manage to mark him, and finally he is brought down by his own tail as he tries to outmanoeuvre his shambling opponents. A nearby Skink looks like he might get a last second snatch and dash, but it is not to be and the whistle blows with the ball lying free.

Coach Dog Pants stands before the Pharaowners, looking for all the world like a green-painted human with a false nose and a bad suit. As ridiculous as he feels, the dead eyes of his bosses don't seem to notice. The stuffy heat of the tomb stifles him and makes him sweat, and he knows that the green paint will be starting to run soon. The Pharaowners stare in silence for a while and he wonders if they've finally died properly, but the silence is broken by the singular statement "win more games". Taking that as a dismissal, Coach Dog Pants nervously sidles away.

Janek
05-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Division 2
Beasts of Bembridge 2 - 0 Kajers

The Beasts of Bembridge faced a herculean task to win promotion, needing a five-touchdown victory to overtake Screwie's elveses. Despite just about the best possible result, a pitch invasion stunning nine of the receiving opponents, and luck pretty much staying consistent from there, it was always unlikely - Nurgle have rarely been described as a free-scoring team.

As such, team-building was the order of the day, with the ball being smuggled to nearly-levelled players, three of whom picked up levels on the way to a leisurely 2-0 win.

Sorry Kajo, didn't really stand a chance with those dice. At least there was no permanent damage to your team.

Screwie
06-12-2012, 12:19 AM
You may still be in with a chance, since ties are calculated on eliminations as well as touchdowns, and my elves don't tend to rack up the injuries.

Squiz
06-12-2012, 07:41 AM
But I think that touchdowns are considered first and only if that results in another tie the injuries are taken into account.

Dentharial
06-12-2012, 08:33 AM
You may still be in with a chance, since ties are calculated on eliminations as well as touchdowns, and my elves don't tend to rack up the injuries.

But I think that touchdowns are considered first and only if that results in another tie the injuries are taken into account.

Screwie has the right of it, because otherwise the tiebreaker would be unbalanced in favour of high-scoring teams. The formula is:

Tiebreaker Score = (TDs Scored - TDs Conceded) + (Injuries Caused - Injuries Received)

Squiz
06-12-2012, 09:23 AM
That rule must be rather new then. Good to see though that things are a bit more fair for slower, bashy teams.

President Weasel
06-12-2012, 10:39 AM
That rule must be rather new then. Good to see though that things are a bit more fair for slower, bashy teams.

That's been in place for a good few seasons now.

ChainsawHands
06-12-2012, 10:46 AM
That's been the rule since the DoD started.

Squiz
06-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Hm, I still remember worrying about that specific part of the "Detailed Rules" tab on the spreadsheet. My mind might be playing tricks on me though.

Screwie
06-12-2012, 10:48 AM
That's been in place for a good few seasons now.

Aye, it just comes up quite rarely. Drop outs and restarts have to be dealt with first, rendering a lot of division ties moot.

Kajo
06-12-2012, 05:04 PM

Yup. He injured my 2 golems + a werewolf (plus a regenerated zombie)

groovychainsaw
06-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Ypu, that rule's been in place for a long while now. I have little post-its everywhere with calculations for tie-breakers at the end of each season strewn around my PC like blood-bowl-inspired confetti. Is it a perfect tie-breaker? Probably not, but it's certainly the best one we've come up with so far.

FINAL WARNING: I will be defaulting any outstanding games tomorrow morning, first thing to end this season. Expected live draw for the new season will be SUNDAY night.

groovychainsaw
09-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Ok, games defaulted and all are in a tier for the LIVE DRAW, which will be happening tonight, 7pm sharp in our steam group. Be there or have to find out your place by reading the sheet later!

Everblue
09-12-2012, 12:12 PM
As predicted, tier 2 is going to be a bastard.

2 Orc
4 Chaos
2 Dwarf
2 Nurgle
1 Khemri

Out of 16 teams...

laneford
09-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Just to check, am I still going to be ok to be bringing my high TV nurgle back into T4?

groovychainsaw
09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Errrp, let me revisit the tiering laneford, forgot about that one ;-)

/Now modified (this is why I prefer this divisions structure, quick changes!), with the 3 returning players (who all came from tier 1 or champs when they left) squeezed into tier 2. Just making it even more competitive/painful there :-). Apologies to those who thought they'd nabbed a free promotion....

Dentharial
09-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Okay looks like It'll be hard for me to play matches for the next month since I have some pretty heavy rl stuff that came my way in the last days. I'll have to bail out for this season and probably get back in the next. Sorry for the mates in my division (F) but I got all kinds of messy tangles in my schedule now; I'll buy you a pint next month. Feel free to relegate me to the lowest tier.

I'm sorry to maybe cause more reshuffling work for Groovy, but it only now occurred to me that I maybe ought to report Skydancer as absent too.

This post of his from several weeks ago had me mentally file him as 'back next season', but someone should probably check with him to make sure that's the case. I've seen him around on Steam the last few days, so if people that are enjoying their Sunday at home instead of being at work like me (*begins his violin solo*) could ask him, that could save future juggling.

Corkir
09-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Wasnt chainsawhands dropping out as well? He certainly said he was but maybe he has changed his mind.

20phoenix
09-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Errrp, let me revisit the tiering laneford, forgot about that one ;-)

/Now modified (this is why I prefer this divisions structure, quick changes!), with the 3 returning players (who all came from tier 1 or champs when they left) squeezed into tier 2. Just making it even more competitive/painful there :-). Apologies to those who thought they'd nabbed a free promotion....

A good season to escape tier 2 :)

ChainsawHands
09-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Wasnt chainsawhands dropping out as well? He certainly said he was but maybe he has changed his mind.I did, and I haven't. I'll be back at some point.

groovychainsaw
09-12-2012, 05:49 PM
/Edited, steam chat has clarified, tidied up again, CSH is out, skydancer is also out unless he pops up to say hello shortly?

Screwie
09-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Blah I knew it, Janek beat me on his casualty record! I was looking forward to getting into the championship for the first time...

groovychainsaw
09-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Right, live draw happening in about 5 minutes chaps! Look forward to seeing you there!

/And completed, fun as always :-)

/Oh, and GET YOUR APPLICATIONS IN NOW FOR THE NEXT SEASON, WE'LL BE STARTING THIS WEEK SO APPLY IN GAME. rARRRGH!

Heliocentric
09-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Halfling, Undead, Dwarf, I face them in height order, so that's good I guess.

Delusibeta
09-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Due to a technical problem (i.e. me failing to realise you can't submit offline teams for online modes and then someone already having the "Street Sweepers" name online), I've changed by team name to the Street Sweeping Scrubs, and updated the spreadsheet accordingly. Teething problems!

Also, wasn't there supposed to be a new thread for this season?

Kapouille
09-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Halfling, Undead, Dwarf, I face them in height order, so that's good I guess.

I was hoping I wasn't the Halfling in question. Especially after you say there was also a Dwarf team.
/me is bracing for impact.

JayTee
10-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Orc, Nurgle, Chaos and my Khemri.

Methinks Division B will be needing some bandages shortly.

Heliocentric
10-12-2012, 10:05 AM
I was hoping I wasn't the Halfling in question. Especially after you say there was also a Dwarf team.
/me is bracing for impact.

When I saw I was facing an mv5, st2, team first I got another mv8, St 3 catcher for my lineup. Better safe than sorry.

mrpier
10-12-2012, 10:12 AM
I got Helf, Hum and Delf, I don't think my Chaos 2 reroll no skills with a mino turnover machine will do well the first couple of seasons.

Dolphan
10-12-2012, 02:26 PM
I got Helf, Hum and Delf, I don't think my Chaos 2 reroll no skills with a mino turnover machine will do well the first couple of seasons.

Oh, I wouldn't panic. The first season for my Helfs had a) No wins and b) Many deaths.

Kapouille
10-12-2012, 04:39 PM
When I saw I was facing an mv5, st2, team first I got another mv8, St 3 catcher for my lineup. Better safe than sorry.

You're right. The risk is high... ?

Dentharial
10-12-2012, 05:19 PM
You're right. The risk is high... ?

He needs the high move to make sure he gets as many opportunities as possible to get players into fouling positions.

And he only mentions the STR because he wants to give the elf a change to /flex against the halflings before they have to face off against non-stunty teams.

Kapouille
10-12-2012, 05:21 PM
He needs the high move to make sure he gets as many opportunities as possible to get players into fouling positions.

But he promised me he wouldn't foul me more than once per turn!! :'(

LowKey
10-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Skaven + skaven + goblin + skaven/goblin = fun

cyberpunkdreams
10-12-2012, 06:03 PM

I beat the crap out of Zenohero's skaven last season, and now I get to do it again x2!

laneford
10-12-2012, 06:50 PM
J'applied!

President Weasel
10-12-2012, 07:03 PM

I got Khemri, Orcs, Nurgles and my Chaos. Why can't I get some goblins to chase around?

NieA7
10-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Chaos, Skaven and Khemri in that order. And this particular Chaos have kicked me up and down the pitch like a snotling before. Ah well, nobody lives forever.

President Weasel
11-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Division CHAMPS is started

Division 1 is awaiting an application from Wink5000
Division 2 is started

Division A is awaiting an application from celebrity crypto-Swede Jarvis
Division B is all ready to go
Division C is awaiting an application from Joose
Division D is awaiting 3 applications: AgP/AndyG; Karandraz/Ranek; sxk634.
Division E is all ready to go

There's not much point going further til we've made sure the top divisions are all filled in correctly, also I got bored.

boots468
11-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Division CHAMPS is awaiting an application from Boots468

Sorry, applied now!

President Weasel
11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks, Boots. I sorted out the scheduled matches and made sure they match the spreadsheet (the usual proviso applies - check for yourselves just in case) and I started the season for the Champs.

Screwie
11-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Ooh, so can we also kick off Division 2 right away please? It would help me a lot if I could get my game in before the weekend.

Also, wasn't there supposed to be a new thread for this season?

Also this!

(EDIT: Div 2, not 1. Silly Screwie)

President Weasel
11-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Ohhhh, Div 2 - the Division you're actually in? I ought to be able to start that one right off.

Screwie
11-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Braintrump. I meant 2, which has everyone in it applied already. Including me, obviously.

Edit: Ta!

President Weasel
12-12-2012, 12:06 AM
]Division CHAMPS is started

Division 1 is awaiting an application from Wink5000
Division 2 is started

Division A is awaiting an application from celebrity crypto-Swede Jarvis
Division D is awaiting 3 applications: AgP/AndyG; Karandraz/Ranek; sxk634.
Division F is ready to go
Division G is ready to go
Division H is ready to go
Division I is awaiting an application from TheKev506
Division J is ready to go

We can't start the lower tiers until the ones above are all sorted in case Groovy needs to reshuffle.

If everyone shows up and gets their applications in that will leave two people left over; start considering whether you might want to volunteer to fill out Div K.
If a couple of people don't show up in time, Groovy will shuffle some people around to fill in the divisions, and the two leftovers will be slotted in where there are holes.

cyberpunkdreams
12-12-2012, 12:13 AM
]
Division F is awaiting an app from Cyberpunkdreams

I applied straight after the draw! I guess it got Cyanided, even though I made extra sure to view the div page before applying. I'll try again.

President Weasel
12-12-2012, 12:19 AM
that got it.

Elesium
12-12-2012, 12:19 AM
*snip*

Never mind, literally sorted it as I posted. Had to reload the game. Applied now.

President Weasel
12-12-2012, 12:34 AM
good stuff, Elesium.
Anyone know Wink5000 and can give him a wee nudge?

20phoenix
12-12-2012, 12:46 AM
I'm willing to submit a filler team if needed

potatoedoughnut
12-12-2012, 03:47 AM
Thank you PW (and all the other admins) for doing all this lovely admin stuff. First rate!

Everblue
12-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Good job Weasel. I am steam friends with Joose and Wink so I'll look them up tonight.

desvergeh
12-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I applied to Div D last night (sxk634).

I had been aware of the draw, checked my allocated division, and then did nothing... I'm not the brightest at the moment it seems!

President Weasel
12-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks chaps.

wink5000
12-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Applied to Division 1.

President Weasel
12-12-2012, 07:21 PM
good work, I should be able to start off the Division about 8pm, and most of the next row down too.

groovychainsaw
12-12-2012, 07:31 PM
I've just started it, got in ahead of PW this time :-D. We're missing 6 players so far,

Jarvis in A
Joose, AgP and Deesno in C,D,E
Thekev506 in I
and Kanesuke in poor old K.

If people don't show by... FRIDAY I'll start shuffling people around.
You have been warned!!
With K, I'm waiting to see if axler/kanesuke get promoted up if someone doesn't show. Failing that, we may need some filler teams, so let us know if you're keen and get an application in for K. Novelty teams preferred, Christmas themed even better :-).

Jarvis
13-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Just realized i'd not checked this thread for awhile, applied now sorry.

President Weasel
13-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Div A is started and the fixtures have (probably - damn this terrible UI) been sorted. And the same for B.

still awaiting one team each for C and D.

Cacamas
13-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Sorry about the slow reply, I'm out of the country at the mo with no access to any gaming PC. I'll be back Sunday, but if that's too late could somebody else make the application for me? If not, I have no problem waiting till next season.

President Weasel
13-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Easy peasy, Deesno Cacamas. Just pm me your login details and I will sort it out for you tonight.

Axler
13-12-2012, 11:31 AM
I've just started it, got in ahead of PW this time :-D. We're missing 6 players so far,

Jarvis in A
Joose, AgP and Deesno in C,D,E
Thekev506 in I
and Kanesuke in poor old K.

If people don't show by... FRIDAY I'll start shuffling people around.
You have been warned!!
With K, I'm waiting to see if axler/kanesuke get promoted up if someone doesn't show. Failing that, we may need some filler teams, so let us know if you're keen and get an application in for K. Novelty teams preferred, Christmas themed even better :-).

Personally I'd like to see the snotling only team "Santa's Little Snots" in there, but I may be biased. ;)

Everblue
13-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, not quite so funny when they get Morg and a wizard as inducements against a starting TV1000 team...

:)

President Weasel
13-12-2012, 12:54 PM
20Pheinix is willing to submit a filler team, and I am happy to make an dwarf, all-beards, dressed in red, Grumpy Santas team if another filler is needed.

Actually, with Deesno Cacamas having checked in and us knowing he'll be applying next week, we know that division is effectively filled, and we can fill the others around it. That should only leave 2 outstanding players in the fully staffed divisions, and maybe Kanesuke too.

Squiz
13-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Ah, Christmas is around the corner. I'd be willing to play one more season with a filler Santa's-Helpers Elves team if need be.

20phoenix
13-12-2012, 02:26 PM
20Pheinix is willing to submit a filler team, and I am happy to make an dwarf, all-beards, dressed in red, Grumpy Santas team if another filler is needed.

Actually, with Deesno Cacamas having checked in and us knowing he'll be applying next week, we know that division is effectively filled, and we can fill the others around it. That should only leave 2 outstanding players in the fully staffed divisions, and maybe Kanesuke too.

I have a theme and name - Rudolphs Revenge with all the players named after reindeer. Just struggling to decide on a race.

Squiz
13-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Chaos with full Beastmen?

Screwie
13-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Chaos with full Beastmen?

And the minotaur, who could be a particularly large and temperamental reindeer.

Everblue
13-12-2012, 03:15 PM
You could call it The Reindeer Games

chadsexington
13-12-2012, 04:11 PM
I can throw in a filler team if the division happens to be mostly NA based. I don't think it's fair to put in a filler if I can only match up times on weekends ;)

karandraz
13-12-2012, 06:34 PM
I applied to D a few days ago amigos, did it not go through?

President Weasel
13-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Nope. Do it again, thank you please.

President Weasel
13-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Division CHAMPS is started

Division 1 is started
Division 2 is started

Division A is started

Division D is all ready to go, good work fellas.
Division F is ready to go
Division G is ready to go
Division H is ready to go
Division I is awaiting an application from TheKev506
Division J is ready to go
the two-member Division K has received application from both the two members.

We can't start the lower tiers until the ones above are all sorted in case Groovy needs to reshuffle.

So that just leaves Joose and TheKev; if anyone knows them please give them a poke, as they have tomorrow to get their applications in before Groovy benches them for a season and moves people up to fill their places (which would actually work out quite handily - two no-shows, two spare players - except I'd rather we get every player into the spot they're supposed to have, and then do a couple of filler teams.)

Get your applications in, Joose and theKev.
Maybe you tried already and think it worked, so you're not watching the thread - but you have to go all the way into "view league" and do the application from there, because if you apply from the league search screen the game often just cyanides your application.

Dog Pants
13-12-2012, 10:49 PM
I've dropped Joose a nudge on our home forum but he's been offline all day. Hopefully he'll pick it up at work when he has nothing better to do.

Everblue
13-12-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm ok with not playing dwarves. Some elves in division C would be lovely.

20phoenix
14-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Reindeer Games have submitted an application to K. The Christmas theme tailed off as I only had nine reindeer names so guest stars include bambi and bambis dead mum. Large angry deer is of course rudolph who has become very self concious of his nose.

Everblue
14-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Suggestion

I think we should have one round of games per week. I really like the league, but it is a bit too slow. I play one game on average a fortnight, 15 games since I started in June, and it's too long a time to really get the feel of your team.

I do not think that 90 minutes a week would be a particularly huge commitment to ask from people, and if we said (for example) that a round of games started on a monday, every week, there would be no need to warn people for not playing games. Your match is not done by Sunday night, you default, simple.

It would allow people a regular schedule of games, and starting the gameweek on the same day of the week would help people remember to play.

The problem with the Divisions is that we get 3 games over about 4 or 5 weeks, then 2 weeks off as we try to herd the cats for the new season. 1/3 of our time is spent in admin mode for the new season. If we said that we had 3 rounds of games over 3 weeks, then the draw on Tuesday or Wednesday, then you have until Saturday without fail to apply for the new league, we could get a much tighter and faster experience for everyone.

Only a suggestion, but there it is.

cyberpunkdreams
14-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Suggestion

I think we should have one round of games per week. I really like the league, but it is a bit too slow. I play one game on average a fortnight, 15 games since I started in June, and it's too long a time to really get the feel of your team.

I do not think that 90 minutes a week would be a particularly huge commitment to ask from people, and if we said (for example) that a round of games started on a monday, every week, there would be no need to warn people for not playing games. Your match is not done by Sunday night, you default, simple.

It would allow people a regular schedule of games, and starting the gameweek on the same day of the week would help people remember to play.

The problem with the Divisions is that we get 3 games over about 4 or 5 weeks, then 2 weeks off as we try to herd the cats for the new season. 1/3 of our time is spent in admin mode for the new season. If we said that we had 3 rounds of games over 3 weeks, then the draw on Tuesday or Wednesday, then you have until Saturday without fail to apply for the new league, we could get a much tighter and faster experience for everyone.

I'd go along with that. It might mean a few less players in the league, but those that remain would surely be more committed. That and the regular schedule would make it all easier to manage I think. The only problem is that it would be harsh for the odd time you really can't fit a match in from being away (and having two weekends in the current schedule does help with that), but I don't think that's a big issue.

Heliocentric
14-12-2012, 01:43 AM
I played in OCC (orca cola) after being asked to fill a hole in a division by Everblue and they run a strict 1 week system, it doesnt really work there for me because no-one is on steam so you need to organise strict times to meet in game which doesn't work if you have young children but maybe RPS with its higher steam uptake could work it.

Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo
14-12-2012, 02:22 AM
Quick question, diving tackle and prehensile tail, do they work together for a -3 from dodging out of tackle zones? tail is a standing skill for -1 but diving tackle gives you -2 also but places you prone, so i dont know if tail will work?

cyberpunkdreams
14-12-2012, 02:43 AM
Quick question, diving tackle and prehensile tail, do they work together for a -3 from dodging out of tackle zones? tail is a standing skill for -1 but diving tackle gives you -2 also but places you prone, so i dont know if tail will work?

Try it in single player and find out. I'm not sure what the rules say (if anything), but in unusual situations such as this, you can't guarantee what Cyanide is going to do anyway. Unless someone else already knows for sure?

Gorm
14-12-2012, 03:07 AM
I'm pretty sure they dont work together sadly

chadsexington
14-12-2012, 04:59 AM
Try it in single player and find out. I'm not sure what the rules say (if anything), but in unusual situations such as this, you can't guarantee what Cyanide is going to do anyway. Unless someone else already knows for sure?

As per my other thread, I mentioned I chose "jump up" with my bomber gobbo as Cyanide lets you throw the bomb after you use jump up.

While googling to see if said combo would work, I found that apparently thats not part of the original rules and shouldn't work, but cyanide.

So, test it yourself I guess

Heliocentric
14-12-2012, 05:09 AM
Seemingly they are complemtary in that PT is always on and DT can be turned on when needed. But they don't stack.

karandraz
14-12-2012, 06:21 AM
Re-applied to DivD!

Dog Pants
14-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Suggestion

As someone with a job and a family, I disagree. With the differences in availability and time zones it would mean you would get one run at any particular day and if that's the only compatible one and you miss it, you suffer. That puts people with less time to play the game (like me) at a disadvantage which would be compounded by having even fewer games played. You're right about it taking a long time to develop your team, but at least everyone is on an even footing. There are other leagues to fill the gaps inbetween if you need more Blood Bowl. Not that I'm trying to argue you down necessarily, I can see how it can feel slow to someone who plays a lot, but since there are usually half a dozen or so people who struggle to make any given deadline I can see a reduction in round times only causing more defaults and, ultimately, fewer teams.

NieA7
14-12-2012, 10:00 AM
I'd prefer it if we moved to a weekly schedule both for simplicity and moar BB, though I'm not sure it's worth the risk of losing some of the coaches currently taking part. One of the best things about the Divs is the large number of people coupled with the short seasons, fewer people playing would undermine that a bit.

Perhaps we could manage by exception a bit more - put everyone on a Monday-Sunday rota but allow a day or two's leeway (without automatically changing the next days deadline) for specific Divs where it'll allow a game to be played. That'd be more effort for our glorious admins to take care of though so it'd be up to them.

President Weasel
14-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Personally I'd like to try a schedule where we run the same ten-day 'weeks' but exceptions are only made in genuinely unusual circumstances. Too many times I've seen people requesting extensions because neither of them tried to arrange their match until a week had already gone past. I'm sorry to be grumpy about it, but that's basically saying "everyone else's time isn't important to me".
Ten day schedules that actually take ten days would be an improvement over what we have now. Let's try them for a season and see what people think afterwards. I don't want to lose players because I am being a schedule nazi; I also don't want to lose players because it's taking too long between games.

Other things we can try before moving to a week-long week:

There's a ten day week but everyone tries to get their games done before that, and if they're all done we move forwards early;
That crazy thing Jolima does in the Open where one week takes less time than the next week - I've never entirely grasped it.

Everblue
14-12-2012, 10:31 AM
@Helio - Out of 200+ coaches in the OCC Helio, pretty much all of them manage to arrange matches via the forums!

@Everyone who replied - I do see your points. I suppose one of the things to consider is that our 3 game seasons put a lot of pressure on the admin team because the divisions change so often. If we ran 9 game seasons then there would be 1/3 the admin work and 1/3 the downtime between seasons. I'm not proposing to change the structure here, though!

For what it's worth, I agree with PW's suggestion about enforcing the existing structure more firmly.

NieA7
14-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Short seasons are part of the flavour of the Divs, I'd rather not change that. I wonder if there's enough appetite for a fourth RPS league, somewhere between the Open and the Divs in length. It'd be fun, although I suspect that there won't be enough people with the time for it to really fill out.

Could always have another knockout cup, last one was well over a year ago now.

mrpier
14-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Diving Tackle and Prehensile Tail should both work and stack together AFAIK.

So massive pain to dodge past would be Tackle, Diving Tackle, Shadowing and Prehensile Tail, which I now want to try on one of my new chaos-beasts, throw in blodge, or block/stand firm for maximum elf annoyance factor.

As for shorter week, I'll just agree with PW there.

Edit: A cup would be welcome, though I don't think I could participate until February at the earliest.

Screwie
14-12-2012, 11:17 AM
FYI Shadowing and Diving Tackle are not functioning correctly right now ingame. Shadowing is being checked before DT (which is backwards according to the CRP) so if you mostly succeed at Shadowing, you'll rarely ever see a DT prompt.

On the DoD structure - generally agreed with PW's account. I have voiced my frustration with how slow the DoD seems to move in the past, but at the same time I can just about fit in my BB commitments in the allotted time as it is. The short season commitments are the attraction of the DoD and I think part of why we can sustain large numbers there, so I would not want to see that changed.

I feel like where the DoD drags, is between seasons, and we should aim to make that transition more efficient in order to increase our frequency of games.

(Another cup would be awesome. The cup is what brought me to start posting in this forum in the first place!)

President Weasel
14-12-2012, 11:29 AM
I feel like where the DoD drags, is between seasons, and we should aim to make that transition more efficient in order to increase our frequency of games.

Hey, I am herding these cats as fast as I can!
Today (this evening, UK-o-time) is the deadline for the stragglers to get their applications in or spend a season in exile. Groovy may need to promote a couple of people, but the aim is to have every division running by Saturday.
The downtime is unfortunately unavoidable, especially with the Cyanide game being less than perfect - we've seen at least one person this season making an application and thinking everything is fine, and only realising later that the game didn't register it because cyanide.

If you want a cup, feel free to organise it. Be the change you want to see, and all that. If you build it, they will come.
I'll be more than happy to help with the admin of a hypothetical cup.

Heliocentric
14-12-2012, 11:33 AM
@Helio - Out of 200+ coaches in the OCC Helio, pretty much all of them manage to arrange matches via the forums!

I didn't say it was bad, I said it was bad for me in my circumstances.

ChainsawHands
14-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I also agree with Weasel.

In theory, sticking strictly to the 10 day period would also let people start arranging their next games before the current 10 day cycle is up, which you can't currently do because you don't know when it'll end, but even without that I think it's fair to start defaulting games at the 10 day mark if people haven't started organising them until a week in.

Screwie
14-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Hey, I am herding these cats as fast as I can!
Today (this evening, UK-o-time) is the deadline for the stragglers to get their applications in or spend a season in exile. Groovy may need to promote a couple of people, but the aim is to have every division running by Saturday.
The downtime is unfortunately unavoidable, especially with the Cyanide game being less than perfect - we've seen at least one person this season making an application and thinking everything is fine, and only realising later that the game didn't register it because cyanide.

I did not mean to impune your efforts, PW! This season break's certainly gone a lot swifter than most.

If you want a cup, feel free to organise it. Be the change you want to see, and all that. If you build it, they will come.
I'll be more than happy to help with the admin of a hypothetical cup.

Well I definitely have a 4th stunty season planned first, but if that ends up being the final season and no one's done a cup by that point I'd be happy to organise one. :)

ChainsawHands
14-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Dog Pants is right too, a week might be fine for some people but it'll cause problems for others, and (at least for me) part of the point of the DoD is that they're the absurdly gigantic league for everyone, so I'm very against something that'll drive people away. I mean, if you want to play more Blood Bowl then there are plenty of other options, y'know?

Alistair Hutton
14-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Suggestion

Several points:

A) If playing a game of Cyanide blood bowl could be reliably done in 90mins then I would be ecstatic. But 2 hours is a much more likely time. You have to factor in "pissing around trying to get the fucking game to connect" time and "opponents turning up 10 mins late" time etc.
2) Transatlantic time differences mean that USA vs EUR games often can only be played on the weekend, due to the 10 day days that often gives two weekends as a target. With one week days then that would only give a two day window of opportunity and many more games would be defaulted.
Gamma) Similarly Due to clashing work schedules, especially people on shift work, many 2-person combinations are simply not as easy to get hooked up for a game as you might think. the 10 day window allows much more chance for competing work schedules to de-phase and open up a window of opportunity.

For me 10 days is the perfect length of time. Enough flexibility but still frequent enough.

EDIT: But Acid Brick time for people who ask for extensions though.

Everblue
14-12-2012, 03:00 PM
thekev506 has posted the following on the Division I subforum:

"Can't seem to find division I on BB to join it - no matter what I search by divisions G-J are missing."

mrpier
14-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Hmm, I applied to Div J without problems at least.

President Weasel
14-12-2012, 03:40 PM
They always show up fine for me if I type "RPS Div"

Kev, if you want to pm me your username and password by this evening I'll see if I can log in as you and apply.
Otherwise we'll need to get someone else in, in order to get the Divisions going.

Alistair Hutton
14-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Errr, it looks like potatoedoughnut has entered the wrong team in Division 1. His registered team name in the spread sheet is [RPS] Clone High a fearsome collection of murder machine Necros. The team in the league is Abracadavers, a more well rounded but much less on the murder death kill and also an Undead team.

potatoedoughnut
14-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Errr, it looks like potatoedoughnut has entered the wrong team in Division 1. His registered team name in the spread sheet is [RPS] Clone High a fearsome collection of murder machine Necros. The team in the league is Abracadavers, a more well rounded but much less on the murder death kill and also an Undead team.

Oops. Is it too late to fix that? I can reapply in about an hour. Sorry! I'm going to blame either being stupid busy the past two weeks or cyanide :)

Also, regrading schedules: I like the 10 day schedule (as I'm GMT-7), but I would appreciate a more punctual 10 day schedule. I think PWs suggestion is the best to implement. Going to 7 days AND strict deadlines might be a bit much for me to handle, but 10 days and stricter deadlines has my full support.

Alistair Hutton
14-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Cyanide, always go with blaming cyanide

potatoedoughnut
14-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Now that I look at it I will blame cyanide. Abracadavers, by virtue of starting with an "A", are at the top of my team list. So I'm going to say I selected the correct team, but cyanide just took the first one in the list.

Is the admin list on the sheet still correct? I think this probably hasn't been updated in a long time. Also new thread?

From sheet:
"GroovyChainsaw (all powerful Benevolent Dictator), ntw, drawlien, jolima, darkfenix, chainsawhands, zoraster
We are all contactable on Steam in case of queries, problems, etc."

The Brain
14-12-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure if matters but Wink and I just played the first game in division 1. I hope this doesn't complicate matters. The fact that I just received a 2-0 bruising with 4 injuries and countless KOs means I'd be more than happy to start the division over ;-)

Alistair Hutton
14-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Oh noes! Confusion and anarchy reigns!

Zoraster
14-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Won't cause any issues gents. You can always swap teams at any stage. The only thing that changes is once a season has started you can only apply if there is a vacancy. Anyway I've booted you out so get your fresh app in PD.

President Weasel
14-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Satan's throbbing cock and balls, that's annoying. I didn't even check the team name, just made sure the right players had applied. No idea if we can change teams at this juncture.

edit: Zoraster saves the day!

potatoedoughnut
14-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Applied with the correct team this time. Thanks gents.

President Weasel
14-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Division I and Division C are still missing an applicant each. It is time to shuffle some people around and fill in the holes.

TheKev and Joose, you've got until Groovy identifies some candidates and gets them to apply - because I am accepting the first applications I see.

Other divisions, we will start you up very soon indeed. Thank you for your patience!

The Brain
14-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Well if that's all sorted here's a quick match report from our game. Wink received and managed to injure an elf every turn until I jinxed it by pointing it out. He pushed down the pitch injuring elves left and right until I only had four pointy eared little buggers making a mockery of a defence, scoring on his turn 8. I used my turn to sneak a single SPP from a pass and punch some lizards to no effect.

Second half, I set up on offence. Wink gets a blitz and gets a skink under the ball. Not a great start for me. Luckily he doesn't catch it but it lands in the tackle zones of two skinks and a saurus. Some pushing and shoving later I try to run it up the right side, get blocked off by a wall of scales and claws, switch sides with a run and pass but the receiver is knocked down next turn. A skink picks up the ball and the rest of the match plays out like the first half. Wink scores again leaving me a single turn to get another pass SPP but obviously my thrower snake eyes and fumbles the pass.

Death Vengeance of Doom (Wink5000) 2 - 0 Masquerade Ballers (The Brain)

I basically got murdered by giant lizards while the skinks looked on and sniggered (or hissed maybe). Some excellent positional play by Wink meant I was never able to get more than a couple of blitzes on his ball carrier the whole game and had giant lizards in my face the whole time. I'm beginning to tire of my elves paper thin armour as my last two games have been a complete whitewash due to injuries in the first half. I'm tempted to roll a new slightly tougher team next season depending on how the rest of this one pans out. Any suggestions?

Alistair Hutton
14-12-2012, 11:10 PM
In keeping with the glorious eternal administrations policy of never ending punctuality honourable doughnut and myelf played a beneficial match in the delightful division of 1. In keeping with our communal spirit of excellence and sharing we both scored 2 touchdowns each.

All hail.

President Weasel
14-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Hail, most excellent comrades Hutton and Doughnut.

Edgar The Peaceful
14-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Hello chaps. After a 2 year hiatus I've re-registered for the league with 'Mr P's Wafer Thin Mints'. Looking forward to playing with 7 half-dead High-Elves.

potatoedoughnut
14-12-2012, 11:23 PM
In keeping with the glorious eternal administrations policy of never ending punctuality honourable doughnut and myelf played a beneficial match in the delightful division of 1. In keeping with our communal spirit of excellence and sharing we both scored 2 touchdowns each.

All hail.

Indeed. Quite evenly matched. AH had terrible d6, but broke all my armours. I had pretty average dice, but not very many mans on any given turn. In the end it all balanced out quite nicely. Cheers for the game.

Here's the scorebox:

http://bbm.jcmag.fr/BloodBowlManager.WebSite/ImageMatchReport.aspx?Id=203342&lang=en

boots468
14-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Any suggestions?

It does have the air of 'if you can't beat them, join them' but after I got tired of every game being over at half time because all my thralls were dead I switched up to Lizards, and have found them really quite fun to play with. You've got the basic plan of using more strength >3 players than anyone else to try and do much murder, with the probably more reliable back-up plan of incredibly hard to pin down skinks running around being a nuisance. You'll never be able to rely on passing, but that applies to every non-elf team really and few other teams offer the combination of bashing, quick scoring and having the raw movement to overcome any foolish positioning... :-)

President Weasel
15-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Edgar, we're just starting off a new season and I have a horrible feeling you're a single leftover with no division. I'll see if I can sort something out to get you some games though.

President Weasel
15-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Axler and Kanesuke please apply to Division I. First one to apply gets the slot.

Also once Groovy decides who in Tier 3 gets bumped up to fill the spot in C, and who in I or J gets bumped up into Tier 3, we're going to have another spot to fill.

Keep your eyes on the thread, Tier 3 and 4 people.

Everblue
15-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Any suggestions?

Like you, I am done with AV7 teams. It's just too random. I'm getting my elf fix from high elves and dark elves atm. I have a sneaking suspicion that high elves may be the best team in the game.

The Brain
15-12-2012, 12:44 AM
I'm as close to the champs as I have ever been after 7 seasons but my team advancement seems to have stalled. I haven't had more than one level up in the last 4 matches. I'm tempted by dark elves as they are slightly tougher and more bashy while still having some Elf flair. It would also allow me to have more than two blodge sidestepping annoying gits.

The Brain
15-12-2012, 12:46 AM
It does have the air of 'if you can't beat them, join them' but after I got tired of every game being over at half time because all my thralls were dead I switched up to Lizards, and have found them really quite fun to play with.

Lizards are also a good choice as you get the fun of bashing a bit while still being able to play a decent running game. If I move away from elves they are definitely in with a shot.

Joeyjojojuniorshabadoo
15-12-2012, 12:58 AM
hhhhhmmm so no one acutally knows if PT and DT work together? im just so lazy i dont want to actually check id just hate to waste my tackle, DT, PT beastman

Everblue
15-12-2012, 01:14 AM
According to TalkFantasyFootball, PT and DT do indeed stack.

EDIT - FUMBBL says they stack too.

groovychainsaw
15-12-2012, 12:29 PM
OK!
Apologies to those who missed their application this season, but as others have said, we need to keep this admin downtime to a minimum and it's been nearly a week since the draw.

Few reshuffles to fill in the divisions:
Drawlien up to Div C
Dolphan up to Div E
Axler to I
Kanesuke to J

All other divisions are started and fixtures checked (although Cyanide was showing me even less useful UI than usual today, so might be worth double checking?). If the others could get their applications in ASAP, that'd help those remaining divisions to get going.

As soon as this is done, I'm going to create a NEW blood bowl thread. Details will follow!
(I may have also accidentally started E, but we can still swap teams around for now.)

Axler
15-12-2012, 01:08 PM
OK!
Apologies to those who missed their application this season, but as others have said, we need to keep this admin downtime to a minimum and it's been nearly a week since the draw.

Few reshuffles to fill in the divisions:
Drawlien up to Div C
Dolphan up to Div E
Axler to I
Kanesuke to J

All other divisions are started and fixtures checked (although Cyanide was showing me even less useful UI than usual today, so might be worth double checking?). If the others could get their applications in ASAP, that'd help those remaining divisions to get going.

As soon as this is done, I'm going to create a NEW blood bowl thread. Details will follow!
(I may have also accidentally started E, but we can still swap teams around for now.)

applied oh glorious leader.

President Weasel
15-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Accepted your application - also saw one, finally, from theKev there but I'm afraid it's too late.
Try applying to J, theKev - I want to get these divisions started, so as soon as I see 4 applications in there I will accept them - whether the 4th one is Kanesuke's or Kev's.

Those of you in Division I, your fixtures are sorted (probably, damn whoever coded this piece of crap league management tool that means you need to log out and in again to see the effects of any changes) and you can now arrange your games.

We are still awaiting the following:

Drawlien up to Div C
Dolphan up to Div E
Kanesuke to J (Or theKev if he applies first, and Kanesuke hasn't applied within 24 hours)

Web Cole
15-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Would there be a reason why I cant post here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?discussionid=66&pp=10&page=11&do=discuss)?

Heliocentric
15-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Dwarfs out HElfs in
*fist pumps*

The Brain
15-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Since the admins are still valiantly trying to get all the divisions started this may be jumping the gun a bit but Division 1 is ready to be rolled on. We must just be super efficient or something. :-)

Dolphan
15-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Application in.