PDA

View Full Version : RPS Blood Bowl League - The many, many Divisions of Death!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

groovychainsaw
02-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Ok, the first of the reshuffles with arni's loss (sorry to see you go!), I hope everyone is paying attention.

Alh_p -> A
NieA7 -> 2
Nullkigan -> 3
Wolfenswan -> D
Valiant ->5
TomOBedlam joins us in Division F (welcome!)

Spreadsheet is up to date with these changes. (I've also updated the season status tab so admins/all can see who's missing and nudge/chase if necessary, we're missing quite a few at the moment, making the weekend look like a bit of a long shot for starting right now!!)
If you're one of the above 5 and you put an application in (well done on your promptness!), please withdraw it and reapply to the correct division. If you hadn't already, hurry up! Whats keeping you? (and that goes double for everyone else) ;-)

Wolfenswan
02-11-2011, 09:06 PM
One thing: I've been playing imirk's orcs last season already if that's a problem.

Rakysh
02-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Applied to the division.

groovychainsaw
02-11-2011, 10:21 PM
@Wolfenswan. Hmm, that does make it a bit tricky, then, we can't have you playing yourself :-). Is imirk returning to his team at some point? If not, I'll have to put Xercies in your place (as next most obvious candidate. Let me know what the plan is for this coming season...

Vexing Vision
02-11-2011, 10:24 PM
And me, I already scareed alh_p's Chaoscritters into oblivion last season. I don't mind doing it again though.

Hello sweetie. Come to play again?

Jolima
02-11-2011, 10:57 PM
@Wolfenswan. Hmm, that does make it a bit tricky, then, we can't have you playing yourself :-). Is imirk returning to his team at some point? If not, I'll have to put Xercies in your place (as next most obvious candidate. Let me know what the plan is for this coming season...

I think you misread that. He played against imirk last season not as imirk. :-)

alh_p
02-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Applied to Div A. Not sure how to "un-apply" to Div 2 -hopefully the admin can ignore/decline my application?

And me, I already scareed alh_p's Chaoscritters into oblivion last season. I don't mind doing it again though.

Hello sweetie. Come to play again?

Isn't it about time your luck ran out? ;)

imirk
02-11-2011, 11:11 PM
I thought that the stated goal was to not play more than one person from the last season? Not that I'm rallying to play the Queens again. They're only in their second season, and are pretty unseasoned for Div D (I was wondering if I was seasoned enough ... pass the pepper!) Looking through the spreadsheet I think only the halfling teams are more experienced below you Wolfenswan, but that was by no means a comprehensive investigation.

potatoedoughnut
02-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Just making a note that I haven't disappeared. I'll try and apply to D1 tonight, but been busy and haven't had a chance yet.

bazooka71
02-11-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm feeling a bit foolish now... I found out today I might be moving to New York for work so I think it best I withdraw... if anything changes I will throw my hat back in the ring. Apologies.

NieA7
03-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Applied to Div 2. I feel like a total fraud, I've never won a division yet but I've been promoted 5 times in 4 seasons.

karandraz
03-11-2011, 04:41 AM
@NTW - you may be lazing in the wrong division, you're in B, not C, thanks to Karandraz taking the fall for you ;-)

Always happy to help ;)

Applied to division C. And oah look i am facing nurgle and choas again before facing off against the groovy chainsaw himself, starting suspect he is trying to wear down my team :P

Also since dark fenix my old skaven pal has found himself paralell to me in an opposite division iam going to take the opportunity assume he is avoiding facing my fearsome lizards!*

*(Will regret that remark when we eventually do clash :P)

potatoedoughnut
03-11-2011, 05:17 AM
Just making a note that I haven't disappeared. I'll try and apply to D1 tonight, but been busy and haven't had a chance yet.

I'm dumb, I'm already in D1. Mwahahahahaha!

Erm, "applied" to D1.

Alistair Hutton
03-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Applied to Division 1. Let us all hope that potatoedoughnut's observational skills carry onto the Blood Bowl pitch.

Vexing Vision
03-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Isn't it about time your luck ran out? ;)

Yeah, probably. I'm glad I don't have to face Arni's Block, Block, Guard, Block, Block, Guard, TACKLE orcs though. Dodged that bullet, let's see if it does anything.

groovychainsaw
03-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Ok, thanks for letting us know bazooka, Axler, that puts you back in 6 after all :-)

mootpoint
03-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I find myself continuing to move about despite having been robbed of the time to do fun stuff (a.k.a live). I must therefore be a Zombie. See you in a couple of seasons all you live bastards, I've had a great time with you lot, keep up the good work and spirit!

Vexing Vision
03-11-2011, 01:23 PM
:( I was very much looking forward to that halfling vs halfling match report....

Axler
03-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Ok, thanks for letting us know bazooka, Axler, that puts you back in 6 after all :-)

Reapplied :D

groovychainsaw
03-11-2011, 09:31 PM
13 players currently missing, I'm not going to list them all in here, but check the 'season status' (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0VreXc&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=26) tab in the sheet to see if you applied correctly. If your name is on there, you are missing! I'm still hoping to get us going over the weekend, so get your applications in! I don't want to have to do too many last minute reshuffles again (I knew it had all gone too smoothly last season.... ;-)

President Weasel
03-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Remember you need to go all the way into the league int he league finder search-o-tron. Applying from the search results screen does not work, because stupid broken UI.

Alethron
04-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Applied for Championship, apologies for delay

ntw
04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Remember you need to go all the way into the league int he league finder search-o-tron. Applying from the search results screen does not work, because stupid broken UI.

I think you should set that as your Sig.

President Weasel says "blah, blah, blah"
___
...because Stupid Broken UI

groovychainsaw
04-11-2011, 03:08 PM
We are currently missing 8 players, who all still need to apply for the correct division in-game. We also have a spare slot in division 7, so if anyone knows someone who would like to join us, or will volunteer a 'filler' team to go in there, that would be helpful. Naming and shaming commences...

ininja - div 3
cwoac - div 4
valiant - div 5
hughtower - div A
phill -Div B
maddave123 - div C
onestepfromlost - div E
tomobedlam - div F

Get your applications in ASAP, gents, I'll set a deadline of sunday night for ya, if I don't see applications in by then I'll assuming you're dropping out and will reshuffle accordingly (and painfully, i might add!)

Tom OBedlam
04-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Sorry, not been able to get at the computer. I'll have it applied for before 7

INinja132
04-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Applied to division 3. At least there's only one bashy team this season, so maybe my time might not get quite so badly mauled (yeah right).

Tom OBedlam
04-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Ok, I think I've applied

President Weasel
04-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Dave is in the pub just now but fully intends to apply.

MadDave123
05-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Dave is in the pub just now but fully intends to apply.These words be the truth. Or were be the truth, until they not be true. Which be true now.

Yeah, enough of that. I've applied for Div C, sorry for the delay. I blame President Weasel entirely for not reminding me sooner.

In other news, I managed to scrape enough moolah together to buy a new Beast of Nurgle. HUZZAH! His name is Tentacular (se what I did there?) and if anyone kills this guy I swear I'll cry. >_>

HughTower
05-11-2011, 12:47 AM
I am in.

And I intend to stop mucking about and beat everyone this season. Especially you two nasty herds of Chaos.

There - I've said it now. Can't take it back.

ntw
05-11-2011, 01:57 AM
Accepted a few applications, currently we are missing -

cwoac - div 4
valiant - div 5
phill -Div B
onestepfromlost - div E

groovychainsaw
06-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Right, I've started the divisions down to 3/C, the other divisions are still waiting on cwoac, onestepfromlost and valiant to apply. Deadline's tonight, chaps....

Additionally (and particularly for the new guys), matches are organised in the divisions of death 'groups', which you need to get accepted for by me. I've invited one or two of the new guys, but it doesn't recognise everyone's forum names, so some will have to apply themselves, the group page is HERE (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/group.php?groupid=4)

cwoac
06-11-2011, 11:25 AM
applied. Sorry for the hold up.

Valiant
06-11-2011, 12:59 PM
I applied also, had no idea that the league was finished :D sorry fo the delay

ntw
06-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Started a few more - we're now waiting for onestepfromlost to start DivE and Div6

Also PM-ed celt & rawwar

/edit - couldn't find any trace of ffrog

President Weasel
06-11-2011, 02:47 PM
are we starting new groups for the season or just using the existing ones?

groovychainsaw
06-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I thought we'll just use the existing ones - shouldn't be too hard to track?

onestepfromlost
06-11-2011, 06:19 PM
sorry guys i just got steam messages from groovy and the weasel, sorry guys i had to drop out last season as i dont have any free time really just now and im pretty much still in the same boat. i thought someone had marked me as out this season and havnt had time to check on here. sorry as i know this prolly screws the whole leagues ;p back soon hopefully

Tom OBedlam
06-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Ok, so where do we find out whose sheduled to play whom?

potatoedoughnut
06-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Ok, so where do we find out whose sheduled to play whom?

Spreadsheet!!! (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0VreXc&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=24)

President Weasel
06-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Tom: Spreadsheet.
Groovy: should be fine, just checking.
OnestepfromVandron: I understand. Hope things calm down for you soon.

President Weasel
06-11-2011, 07:23 PM
From Groovy's last post we have 3 people missing. From the spreadsheet we have three people without a full group - is this kismet?

Tom OBedlam
06-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I guess that's thats the answer to everything here?

imirk
07-11-2011, 02:18 AM
Speadsheet , Cell 42.

Vexing Vision
07-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I guess that's thats the answer to everything here?

The spreadsheet is a semi-sentient piece of art which will answer all your questions if you shake it enough.

groovychainsaw
07-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Ok, so we lost onestepfromlost, which leaves us with 2 gaps in the divisions. One in E, one in F. Any players want to fill in? We ideally need people to join today so we can get going...
Rakysh, you've got the best claim on the now open slot in div E if you can move your application across today, but if you're not free, I'll happily put a 'filler' team in there. Likewise, we'll do what we can to get division F going today,too, any applications of filler teams will be accepted come the end of today, but any new players who'd like in would be considered first if there are any out there :-). If you are putting a 'filler' team in, post in here so i can see who gets priority over which slot (first come, first served)

Screwie
07-11-2011, 10:32 AM
I can fill with a starter team tonight, if that's not too late to apply. I have a few 1000TVers yet to enter a league.

Vexing Vision
07-11-2011, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't mind flinging some Goblins for one season, can apply tonight if you tell me where.

ntw
07-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Spoke to JamesCoombs (Div6) last night and he was going to try and get a mate to apply.

ntw
07-11-2011, 12:35 PM
@ ALL - Please do NOT sort the spreadsheet now the season has started. It will screw up the fixtures...

JamesCoombs
07-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Spoke to JamesCoombs (Div6) last night and he was going to try and get a mate to apply.Sorry guys, I couldn't convince my mate to get his team up and running, he's having a busy week(s) at work and didn't want to let anyone down later on in the month.

Rakysh
07-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Rakysh, you've got the best claim on the now open slot in div E if you can move your application across today, but if you're not free, I'll happily put a 'filler' team in there. Likewise, we'll do what we can to get division F going today,too, any applications of filler teams will be accepted come the end of today, but any new players who'd like in would be considered first if there are any out there :-). If you are putting a 'filler' team in, post in here so i can see who gets priority over which slot (first come, first served)
Eeeeee dorfs. Ok, I'll do it. I never liked my halfling bastards anyway.

duff
07-11-2011, 07:00 PM
@ ALL - Please do NOT sort the spreadsheet now the season has started. It will screw up the fixtures...

You need one of these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6EOvYZ93o4) NTW.

groovychainsaw
07-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Ok, rakysh is accepted and div E is go, we just need 2 players to apply for F to get that going. First come, first served! All others started!!

GET ORGANISING MATCHES EVERYBODY!

ntw
07-11-2011, 10:25 PM
You need one of these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6EOvYZ93o4) NTW.

I like your thinking! :)

Vexing Vision
07-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Signed up the Shortstuff Stumblers as filler team on Div F. Please treat me as lowest priority (even before other filler teams).

Screwie
07-11-2011, 11:42 PM
I've applied to F with a filler Vampire team called the Stake Dodgers.

Alini
08-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Eeeeee dorfs. Ok, I'll do it. I never liked my halfling bastards anyway.
They don't like being called that...

ntw
08-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Hrm, seriously tempted to dump my Nurgle and enter a new team into F - leaving Team Pestilence as a filler team in B.

Bad game vs Sponge. :(

He won 2-1 and deserved to, my Beast died.

jryan
08-11-2011, 02:46 AM
Hello All, I was directed here by the news feature on Steam about your league. I'd be interested in losing to all of you on my spare time.

My prefered team is Norse, but also play some as High Elf and Orc.

My online Blood Bowl name is the same as my screen name here.

Kelron
08-11-2011, 03:45 AM
News feature on Steam? Where?

Anyway, welcome. See the first post for details on the league and a link to the spreadsheet where you can add your details. It looks like you might just be in time for the start of this season, if not then the next one will be starting in about a month's time.

jryan
08-11-2011, 04:43 AM
The second story on "Recent News" on the Blood Bowl LE library page is a quick blurb on 5/5/2011 about the RPS Blood Bowl league.

potatoedoughnut
08-11-2011, 04:50 AM
This story (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/05/the-rps-blood-bowl-cup-could-be-yours/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockpapershotgun%2Fsteam+%28R ock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%3A+Steam+RSS%29) was on the RPS front page about the RPS Cup and via dark magic it shows up in steam for BBLE.

Edit: some of the Match Reports (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?60-RPS-Blood-Bowl-League-The-RPS-Cup-Match-Report-Thread) survived. This happened during the Great Forum Migration, so a lot of them died.

imirk
08-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Dark and Foul Magics indeed. It has been 6 mo. since the last cup, shall we another?

Rakysh
08-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Would I be able to change my team to Undead for the december season?

LowKey
08-11-2011, 09:54 AM
My charming Undead squared off against Wolfenswans exotic Amazons last night, thankfully with most the team dead and having castrated the ghouls earlier in the year to reduce wind drag there would be no distractions and the Easy Dead broke their loosing streak with a 3-0 win. Overall the dice were pretty tough on Wolf and the TV difference was felt, particularly with my guard players and while Zara was picked up she failed to do anything outstanding.

groovychainsaw
08-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi Jryan, nice to have you with us! Unfortunately you've just missed the start of this season, but in 4 weeks time we'll be starting season 15, and you'll be more than welcome to join us then. Your details are on the sheet, so just pop in here to reconfirm your interest just before the next season starts and we'll be glad to have you :-).

Vexing Vision
08-11-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm more than happy to give my Fake place to Jryan if that's still possible and doesn't delay this even more.

/edit: I really can't spell usernames today

groovychainsaw
08-11-2011, 10:42 AM
I guess it is.... - JRyan, if you get your new team applied to division F today, you can play this season too! :-)

President Weasel
08-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Dark and Foul Magics indeed. It has been 6 mo. since the last cup, shall we another?

YES.

I volounteer to organise the sucker, too - unless we can get the Mighty Daave out of retirement. He has proven cup-organising experience.

Vexing Vision
08-11-2011, 11:41 AM
1000 TV teams again? I'm in!

Wolfenswan
08-11-2011, 12:12 PM
My charming Undead squared off against Wolfenswans exotic Amazons last night, thankfully with most the team dead and having castrated the ghouls earlier in the year to reduce wind drag there would be no distractions and the Easy Dead broke their loosing streak with a 3-0 win. Overall the dice were pretty tough on Wolf and the TV difference was felt, particularly with my guard players and while Zara was picked up she failed to do anything outstanding.

For me the match began with a failed dodge throw and ended with double skulls thrown on a block. You kept your cages tight but didn't stall; overall an enjoyable game and I'll think twice next time I consider picking up Zara.

Screwie
08-11-2011, 12:20 PM
YES.

I volounteer to organise the sucker, too - unless we can get the Mighty Daave out of retirement. He has proven cup-organising experience.

I would certainly be up for that.

I wouldn't mind helping with admin duties either. That would get me a buy into the second round yes? Don't reply here.

Vexing Vision
08-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Zara has been a constant hit and miss for me. I picked her up three times. Once she didn't do anything, once she dominated the kill-list and once she performed okay until she got knocked out in the first half and I learned that Apothecaries are afraid to touch Star Players for fear of insurance fraud.

I think she's worth it, from her skills. The Str 4 Block Dauntless she comes with is quite attractive for her prize, and I like the option to make a secure stab if nothing better presents itself.

Screwie
08-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Personally I don't put much stock in Stab unless I'm facing stunties or vampires. The other undead teams have too many AV 8+ players, which is to thick to Stab reliably with even with Stakes.

drawlien
08-11-2011, 01:53 PM
She's really good against blodging ghouls though...

Screwie
08-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Agreed but if the blodging ghoul was holding the ball, I wouldn't use my blitz on a Stab attempt to get him. I'd rather use a player with Tackle/Wrestle/Strip Ball and a TRR if needed.

I find the risk-free Stab attempts nice in the centre line, but the chance of nothing happening at all means I would never use it in a pinch.

jryan
08-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Well, I navigated the joining process, but division F is full. But that's OK, I can wait for the next tourney. I have Skyrim to sooth me.

ntw
08-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Well, I navigated the joining process, but division F is full. But that's OK, I can wait for the next tourney. I have Skyrim to sooth me.

We'll boot one of the filler teams - be ready to play!

Vexing Vision
08-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Can an admin kick my Shortstuff Stumblers? I can't access my Bloodbowl for the next... hum... nine hours to resign from the league. I'd rather have a real player join us than playing a fake team, as tempting as attempting to beat Screwie with Goblins sounds!

Screwie
08-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Can an admin kick my Shortstuff Stumblers? I can't access my Bloodbowl for the next... hum... nine hours to resign from the league. I'd rather have a real player join us than playing a fake team, as tempting as attempting to beat Screwie with Goblins sounds!

We should totally do that all-goblin series. If there is interest I would be willing to orchestrate such a thing. (Maybe have it as a league so the pressure of getting knocked out doesn't dampen anyone's fun when things go horribly wrong.)

DarkFenix
08-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Against my better judgement (for the usual paranoia of fucking up the whole system) I've booted Shortstuff Stumblers (or tried to, it seems to just put the name in red). So there's now a space in division F, get that application in jryan. Assuming, that is, I haven't actually given Cyanide's system a proverbial bluescreen, which I'm not entirely convinced I haven't.

ChainsawHands
08-11-2011, 03:05 PM
So... jryan, huh? RPS, where you get the redheaded girl from Doctor Who and the borg girl from Voyager!

ntw
08-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Against my better judgement (for the usual paranoia of fucking up the whole system) I've booted Shortstuff Stumblers (or tried to, it seems to just put the name in red). So there's now a space in division F, get that application in jryan. Assuming, that is, I haven't actually given Cyanide's system a proverbial bluescreen, which I'm not entirely convinced I haven't.

Isn't BSOD the natural colour for Cyanide's systems?

Also - I'd totally be up for a "Stunties Cup", Gobbos and Halflings fighting, falling and feasting to determine which are the bigger men!

/edit - also PM-ed JRyan, incase he is not following the thread now...

Vexing Vision
08-11-2011, 03:20 PM
So... jryan, huh? RPS, where you get the redheaded girl from Doctor Who and the borg girl from Voyager!

Which one of the two are you, ChainsawHands?

Stuntie-League sounds more appealing than Stuntie-cup, given the rather random nature of the teams involved.

Screwie
08-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Also - I'd totally be up for a "Stunties Cup", Gobbos and Halflings fighting, falling and feasting to determine which are the bigger men!

Halfings? Pah! Where are their chainsaws?

I was envisioning 8 (or more) teams playing in 2 divisions, with the top half (2) of each going to a play-off for the cup.

Personally I would really like to see a decent amount of games in the league phase, as stunty teams take a while to level up and do so in a variety interesting ways. So depending on interest and division size, everyone might play everyone else twice before the play-off - aiming for a 8-12 game investment overall. Or longer, if that's what people want!

So I should probably make a thread (and a spreadsheet) about this then. :)

ChainsawHands
08-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Which one of the two are you, ChainsawHands?Sadly, I am neither Karen Gillan nor Jerry Ryan. Which should be obvious, really, as neither of them has chainsaws for hands. (Although admittedly I've not seen Jerry Ryan in anything for a while.)

Jiiiiim
08-11-2011, 03:41 PM
I vote that the next RPS cup be entirely made up of TV1000 goblin teams.

ntw
08-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Halfings? Pah! Where are their chainsaws? ...<snip>

But what is a chainsaw without a tree to fell? :D

Also, gimme a poke if you'd like a hand with the sheet.

Screwie
08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks!

I'll chat with PW first though, see if he would rather run a 'serious' RPS Cup first before I embark on a stunty one. Don't want them both going on at the same time and, in fairness, he gets first dibs as he had the notion first.

(Also I am quite looking forward to playing a bashy team in the next potential cup).

LowKey
08-11-2011, 04:24 PM

seconded my lords

President Weasel
08-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Run a stunty cup first, and I will run (or hopefully someone will poke Daave until he agrees to run) a proper one after.

jryan
08-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Isn't BSOD the natural colour for Cyanide's systems?

/edit - also PM-ed JRyan, incase he is not following the thread now...

I am following as I can. This stupid job doesn't think Blood Bowl is important.

When I get home and get a chance (about 9:00pm EST) I will attempt to join again.

jryan
08-11-2011, 07:31 PM

Third or fourthed or whatever. That would be awesome.

jryan
08-11-2011, 07:33 PM

If that were me I'd never leave the house.

Jolima
08-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Would a stuntie cup allow skinks (with two or three saurus/krox) and/or ogres (probably some limitation to the number of those as well, less sure of what could be fair there though)?

imirk
08-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I think 1000TV is a pretty good limitation on ogres.

groovychainsaw
08-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Just to add my 2 cents, i think a stunty cup should be ogres, halflings and goblins. All have strong players, and weak players, with ogres at the extreme of both of those stats. The snots give the goblins and halflings someone to beat up :-). (Also, I like playing as ogres, so total self-interest really in getting them involved.) You'd be mad to run more than 4 ogres at 1000TV, so that limits the danger....

NieA7
08-11-2011, 09:29 PM
A stunty cup sounds great. I reckon skinks + a krox would be OK, but Saurus is verging on non-stunty.

jryan
08-11-2011, 09:47 PM
I think it has to be all gobbos and flings or nothing. Once you start including the non-comic-relief teams into competition you have lost the point.

Gorm
08-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Skinks and Krox sounds like a stunty team to me

groovychainsaw
08-11-2011, 09:54 PM
The ogres are definitely comic relief (and ranked worse than both halflings AND goblins on fumbbl, in terms of wins). I think the lizards might be a bit too far, that 8MA for the skinks means you don't need to throw them. The other 3 stunty teams all should score by throwing player+ball, which i think is an important qualification for a stunty league.

Vexing Vision
08-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Gobos, Ogres and Halflings would get my vote.

MadDave123
08-11-2011, 10:06 PM
He won 2-1 and deserved to, my Beast died.NOOOOOOOOOO! Another Beast has fallen. T_T

jryan
08-11-2011, 10:19 PM
The ogres are definitely comic relief (and ranked worse than both halflings AND goblins on fumbbl, in terms of wins). I think the lizards might be a bit too far, that 8MA for the skinks means you don't need to throw them. The other 3 stunty teams all should score by throwing player+ball, which i think is an important qualification for a stunty league.

Point Conceded.

I still can't believe they are that bad.. but I've never played them.

Schizoslayer
08-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Lost 2-1 to Brewery Management in a classic example of why I hate playing against Dwarfs - Classic 2-1 grind with nothing particularly spectacular to report apart from one Dwarf throwing the ball on a quick pass and another catching it. Had dome rotten luck with 2 players going off injured by turn 4 with one MNG and one Badly Hurt.

Screwie
08-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Gobos, Ogres and Halflings would get my vote.

I would agree with this. Although goblins are clearly the best. :)

Ogre teams are bad because snotlings are really, really terrible. If Ogre teams fielded goblins instead they would probably be a much more competitive side.

I am currently putting together the spreadsheet for sign-ups, but it probably won't be ready until later this week. I'll make a separate thread once it's ready.

EDIT: I might include Extended Inducements too, as it adds a lot more options without really breaking anything. I am tempted to allow Training too, but I'll check on the rules for that before I commit to it. Standard Wizard spells though, definitely.

Vexing Vision
08-11-2011, 11:33 PM
We might as well open a different topic for the Stunty Cup to stop burrowing those delightful news of dead beasts. (Sorry, ntw, but your Beast got WAY too friendly with my girls last match.)

imirk
09-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Wasn't it P. Weasel that said: "The true spirit of Nuffle is the gleefully chuckle at not only deaths on your opponents team, but on yours as well"?

Screwie
09-11-2011, 10:38 AM
We might as well open a different topic for the Stunty Cup to stop burrowing those delightful news of dead beasts. (Sorry, ntw, but your Beast got WAY too friendly with my girls last match.)

Okay, I will put up the thread plus a rudimentary sign-up sheet at some point today.

Please continue with your regularly scheduled DoD gloating.

LowKey
09-11-2011, 10:57 AM
gloating.

Twins they were!

President Weasel
09-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Wasn't it P. Weasel that said: "The true spirit of Nuffle is the gleefully chuckle at not only deaths on your opponents team, but on yours as well"?

I have no idea! I would love to have said that, can I retroactively say it?

ntw
09-11-2011, 06:03 PM
I have no idea! I would love to have said that, can I retroactively say it?

you can retroactively say it from the future when you perfect your time machine.

Tom OBedlam
09-11-2011, 08:31 PM
So, has division f begun yet?
I've tried looking up the steam name person of my first opponent, but it seems that the information on the spreadsheet is wrong.

Alini
09-11-2011, 08:31 PM
nothing particularly spectacular to report apart from one Dwarf throwing the ball on a quick pass and another catching it
And then *sprinting* down (yes, 3 gfi's) for a last-turn-of-the-half touchdown! There were tears. There was laughter. There was beer.

imirk
09-11-2011, 08:33 PM
And then *sprinting* down (yes, 3 gfi's) for a last-turn-of-the-half touchdown! There were tears. There was laughter. There was beer.

Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Schizoslayer
09-11-2011, 09:04 PM

Ah I forgot there were 3 GFI's probably because I was stomping around the room being annoyed at rolling a double both down result when trying to block him.

Vexing Vision
09-11-2011, 10:00 PM
The starting match of Division A saw the Cute Harmless Hippies square off against the Seaside Sirens, who apparently earned themselves a reputation of fear and loathing among the various Chaos-teams in the Divisions.

There is not much to report, apart from the fact that Jarvis' dice were absolutely horrible - by Turn 3, his team was already out of rerolls - and his Chaos-creatures were completely unable to deal with the blodging Amazon team. When the Sirens walked in the first touchdown of the game in Turn 8, there was a total of 16 players left on the pitch, five of which belonged to the Hippies.

While Jarvis rallied himself halfway through the second half, the 3-0 for the Sirens seemed more or less unavoidable after the first half, and the ball never really left the Hippies' half in any of the drives.

Thanks to Jarvis for sticking it out (and for agreeing to play our match tonight instead of the scheduled tomorrow).

President Weasel
09-11-2011, 10:52 PM
The opening match of Division 2 finished 1-1 between my chaos mans and NieA7's necros.
The match was distinguished by some nasty rerolls for NieA7 (sample rerolls - trying to clear a path for a first half touchdown, he got skull and rerolled to skull; later on early in a turn he got skull/both down and reolled to both down/both down) and for my minotaur shirking for much of the match and doing very little to earn his pay until knocking out a werewolf ball carrier late on. Didn't stop NieA7 getting over the line using two go for its with the very last act of the match for a well-deserved equaliser.

Screwie
09-11-2011, 11:00 PM
I've tried looking up the steam name person of my first opponent, but it seems that the information on the spreadsheet is wrong.

I believe Div F has indeed started. I recommend trying to contact your opponent through the DivF forum group, private messages or our Steam BB group (if they've joined it).

NieA7
09-11-2011, 11:07 PM
The highlight for me was my sure hands ghoul failing to pick up the ball 5 times in a single turn. I didn't think that was even possible, but I saw it with my own eyes... Other than that I was pretty lucky with armor and dodge rolls and somewhat unlucky with block dice, apart from the last turn when I really needed them. Overall I think I was lucky to draw the way I did, El Presidente's touchdown was much better worked than my hack job.

ntw
09-11-2011, 11:17 PM

Fixed.

It needed the late application from jryan approved and one of the filler teams removing.

Please check the sheet for your fixtures and get cracking!

Also validated a few results.

ChainsawHands
09-11-2011, 11:58 PM
A good start to the season for Elf Harm, with a 2-1 victory over Desvergeh's necromantic Salem's Lot. The turning point was probably a blitz in the second half that let me go 2-1 up. It was a remarkably non-bloody match: a few KOs, but the only injury was a Badly Hurt flesh golem.

Thanks to Desvergeh for the game.

ChainsawHands
10-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Oh yeah - a blitzer levelled up, and has joined two of my catchers in the AG5 club.

potatoedoughnut
10-11-2011, 01:09 AM
The highlight for me was my sure hands ghoul failing to pick up the ball 5 times in a single turn.

Maybe I'm not being creative enough but how can you make more than 2 pick up rolls in a turn (the original and the reroll)? If it bounces out and then back into the square it's then a catch roll isn't it (where sure hands doesn't apply)?

NieA7
10-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Maybe I'm not being creative enough but how can you make more than 2 pick up rolls in a turn (the original and the reroll)? If it bounces out and then back into the square it's then a catch roll isn't it (where sure hands doesn't apply)?

Well if you're going to be technical I guess they were catches :p It was a high kick that he dropped, bounced onto a zombie who dropped it, bounced back to the ghoul who dropped it, bounced onto another zombie who dropped it, bounced back to the ghoul who dropped it before finally bouncing between two chaos warriors. Some careful blocking later the warriors were pushed back, whereupon the ghoul failed to pick up and failed the sure hands re-roll.

Next turn a warrior dropped it.

Gorm
10-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Managed to get a draw vs Dragons undead, feels like the first not-loss in ages.
At then end i had 4 players on the pitch, vs 9 of his. I also managed to KO a Mummy so thats something.

Screwie
11-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Had my first Div 6 game with my new dark elves (the Dread Pool), and we got soundly beat by Axler's necromantics (the Twisted Claw). He played extremely well and definitely deserved the win. By the second half the KOs and injuries on my side meant I was rather outnumbered. In the end it was 2-0 to Axler's undead minions.

Still, at least none of my guys died! *phew*

Indefatigible Snoozer
11-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Just finished a bloody (for him) game against Kelron's dark elves. 2 deaths (1 apoc'd to BH) and 5 casualties total were inflicted by the dwarven lads, in a 1-0 grind. It didn't help that the Deathroller stayed around for the entire game, using up two bribes and even an apothecary after it took an injury on a gang foul.

A highlight was a successful dwarven ball interception (a first for me), which was followed up by a somewhat anti-climactic failed hand-off on the final turn.

Good game Kelron - sorry about the mangled elves.

alh_p
12-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Hugh Tower and I just played our first game of the season in Div A. 2-2, even handed dealings by nuffle. Not too bruising for either side (1 injury apeice). Which was my great big cuddly (tentacles) minotaur.

Highlight for me should have been the even honours, after the 5-0 drubbing i received last time we played, but instead it was my CW KOing the treeman on a defensive block. Must have been carrying an axe.

Alistair Hutton
12-11-2011, 05:04 PM
I played Laneford's Nurgle team. I continued my streak of outrageous plays. It's hard to say whether the dodge, pickup, Long Pass to the Catcher in the TZ of a Beast of Nurgle or the Ogre throwing a pass out of heavy coverage to Griff was the highlight. however I couldn't capitalise and I made a rash, rash error to turnover possession in the second half to let Laneford get a deserved 1 - 0 victory.

cwoac
12-11-2011, 06:46 PM
so, a 1-0 defeat for me after one of the buggiest* games nuffle has handed me yet, along with a ball covered in pig fat (I think between us we managed to fail about 20 pickups).

*Not that that had anything to do with me losing. Having both my weres and a wight KO'd kinda saw to that.

Cacamas
12-11-2011, 07:01 PM
You only die once 0 - 1 Cheese Dip Chompers

A very frustrating game for both sides, with any bit of momentum being generated by either side continually dashed by some very contrary dice. The game looked to be ending with a whimper with my runner halfway in his own half with 4 turns to go. But the tide suddenly turned with the KOs of both cwoac's weres and the crowd-surfing of his str 4 wight opening up an gaping hole down the right flank. My runner took full advantage to sprint (well, waddle purposefully) through for the only TD on my final turn.

Kelron
12-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Just finished a bloody (for him) game against Kelron's dark elves. 2 deaths (1 apoc'd to BH) and 5 casualties total were inflicted by the dwarven lads, in a 1-0 grind. It didn't help that the Deathroller stayed around for the entire game, using up two bribes and even an apothecary after it took an injury on a gang foul.

A highlight was a successful dwarven ball interception (a first for me), which was followed up by a somewhat anti-climactic failed hand-off on the final turn.

Good game Kelron - sorry about the mangled elves.

At least the Dwarf game is out of the way now! Only Nurgle and Lizards to go.

Shit.

Indefatigible Snoozer
12-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Could an admin be so kind as to roll on Div B?

ChainsawHands
12-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Could an admin be so kind as to roll on Div B?Done.

Stupid 10 character limit!

Tom OBedlam
13-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Um, not sure what the protocol is but my scheduled opponent hasn't responded to my messages. What happens now?

potatoedoughnut
13-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Um, not sure what the protocol is but my scheduled opponent hasn't responded to my messages. What happens now?

If your opponent is MIA then you'll get a 2-0 win when the matchday advances.

Also, Zombina and the Skeletones?

JamesCoombs
13-11-2011, 12:03 PM
1-0 To Weebles Ogres last night. Bit of a catastrophic game for me really, as his murderous bastards widowed three lovely Dwarf maidens.

First game of the season, and I'm down to 8 men.

Tom OBedlam
13-11-2011, 02:53 PM
If your opponent is MIA then you'll get a 2-0 win when the matchday advances.

Also, Zombina and the Skeletones?

Oh, that's cool I guess.

Yep, love Zombina :)

ntw
13-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Oh, that's cool I guess.

Yep, love Zombina :)

Of course, you *did* post lots of messages in the group for organising games...?

Tom OBedlam
13-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I've posted once, but I'm having trouble because Windward's steam account doesn't match up to the name on the spreadsheet and I can't find it through the forum search either :/ Does anyone else have it?

laneford
13-11-2011, 08:53 PM
I played Laneford's Nurgle team. I continued my streak of outrageous plays. It's hard to say whether the dodge, pickup, Long Pass to the Catcher in the TZ of a Beast of Nurgle or the Ogre throwing a pass out of heavy coverage to Griff was the highlight. however I couldn't capitalise and I made a rash, rash error to turnover possession in the second half to let Laneford get a deserved 1 - 0 victory.

Aye it was a tense, nerve wracking game, low on quality but high on drama and excitement. I think that Ogre probably needed about an 11 to throw that pass. What a hero. I shall attempt an epic (or not so) match report tomorrow. For now, could someone validate the game (div 1) I have rotters to mutate!

imirk
13-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Tom: check the RPS Steam bloodbowl group for his profile.

Also

oh noes! connection dropped, the game awarded me 2-0 victory but that hardly seems to reflect the match. Since the B-negatives were deep in my half in a scoreless game on turn 11? when his connection dropped.

Jolima
13-11-2011, 09:34 PM
imirk, boots: I've reset your game if you want to replay it.

Laneford, Alistair: validated your game.

Also, I played mrpier's dwarves this morning and won 3-1.

boots468
13-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks Jolima.

Just when I was beginning to get confident my Vamps wouldn't mess it up, my router does instead. I've posted in the groups about times for a re-match, but with the time difference and work, i'm not sure how likey that will be. And of course if we do manage a re-match, your Orcs may actually wear their armour this time ...

smaug81
13-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Brolaf Brigade 0 - 3 [RPS] Clone High

Well, the Brolafs just went down in what I believe is my worst drubbing in the Leagues so far. While I had some initial luck getting the ball off of Potatoe after kicking off to start the match, I was completely unable to make any significant headway against his defense. Potatoe eventually pushed me into having to make some risky rolls that resulted in him recovering the ball with a turn or three to go (injuring 3 of my players in quick succession in the process. . . guess he didn't like me killing his Wight with a Piling On :P). He cleared the ball from the scrum with a short pass, which was dropped, but I was (in what became a pattern for the match) unable to make the relatively easy rolls to recover the ball. End result, Potatoe scores on his last turn of the half.

Second half, Potatoe kicked off and promptly got a Blitz, with the ball landing a square or two from my endzone. My players were, of course, solidly marked up and a ghoul and werewolf moved deep into my territory. I scrambled to move my Ulfwereners back as protection for my lone runner. Unfortunately, said AG4 runner failed the pickup, and the reroll. Potatoe promptly moved the ghoul up to assist, blitzed the runner out of the way with the werewolf, and had him pick up the ball and walk into the endzone. 2-0 in all of two turns.

Receiving again, I made slightly better progress in spite of the crowd deciding to flood the field and pummel two of my players. Nevertheless, I was unable to budge Potatoe's extremely tight defense, and a botched roll from (of course) my yeti resulted in a wight recovering the ball. I managed to catch up to him with a berserker and knock him over, with the ball bouncing over the sideline and being thrown to the far side of the field. My players in the vicinity failed to succeed in actually picking up the ball, leading to a Necro player scooping it up and hoofing it down the field yet again. My last ditch attempt to save another TD required me to make two GFI's. . . being simple, 2+ rolls, the second one, of course, failed. 3-0 to Potatoe.

A difficult match for my poor Norse. Necromantics are shaping up to be the bane of my existence, although at least Potatoe didn't break quite as many of my players as NieA7's Necros did when I faced them (and nothing permanent). Gripe though I may about poor dice, the honest truth is that Potatoe played extremely well and positioned his forces such that I had quite a tough time making any headway. A well deserved win for him.

And next week I get to face Nurgle. Oh god. :P

jryan
14-11-2011, 05:12 AM
Hey folks, just reporting that I have had a death in the family and will be out of town Tuesday and Wednesday at a minimum. Hopefully I will get my game in Monday or Thursday.

Screwie
14-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Sorry for your loss jryan. :(

I will be around on Steam tonight and Thursday for our game.

potatoedoughnut
14-11-2011, 09:47 AM
smaug/Marmojet gave a pretty fair summary. All of the kickoffs were very weird, starting off with a very shallow kick and some poor dice the first couple turns. I had managed to lose control of the ball (on my offense) and use up my rerolls pretty quickly in the first half. A MB/PO berzerker managed to kill a Wight (no regen) but I was able to stall out his offense and keep him pretty bottled up. Then a rash of three quick injuries on the Norse let me recover the ball and run it in on my turn 8 for 1-0.

As noted a blitz at the start of the second half let me get back to the ball very quickly and score before the slower Norse were able to make it back and support the runner.

The pitch invasion was surprisingly mild with only 2 Norse and 1 Necro getting stunned, but I believe the Norse only had 10 on the pitch at this point so any stuns were more strongly felt.

It was a pretty tense game with a weird first half. Some critical failed rolls from smaug's butter fingered Norse let me get in some TDs, but the blocking game was pretty evenly matched. Those MB/PO berserkers are scary.

Thanks for the game, kill some of those Nurgles for me (I'll try and knock off some humans for you).

boots468
14-11-2011, 11:00 PM
The game between Imirk and myself in div D was hit by internet failure whilst the result was still up for grabs, and it doesn't look like we'll be able to get a rematch in in time. Please can an admin set it to a draw (or whatever is appropriate in these circumstances)?

Thanks,

groovychainsaw
16-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Chaps, last day for the first game is tomorrow, I see a good number of games have already been played, just a friendly reminder for the rest of you (including myself!).

Screwie
16-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Eep! Well, Jryan and myself are planning to get our game in tomorrow but we shall have to see.

If the game does not come to pass, is it good form to call a forfeit my filler team and give Jryan's the points, or stick with a draw?

Tom OBedlam
16-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Me and windward are playing tonight

President Weasel
16-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Eep! Well, Jryan and myself are planning to get our game in tomorrow but we shall have to see.

If the game does not come to pass, is it good form to call a forfeit my filler team and give Jryan's the points, or stick with a draw?

it's good form to stick with the draw, unless you're also planning to just give free points to the other players - at which point there's no point having you make a filler team. If you both made a decent effort to get the game in but couldn't, it's a draw. If you made all the effort and he vanished, your filler team ought to get the points despite its fillerteaminess, and vice-versa.

Screwie
16-11-2011, 03:09 PM
it's good form to stick with the draw, unless you're also planning to just give free points to the other players - at which point there's no point having you make a filler team.

Oh yes of course. Silly me.

Nullkigan
16-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Pouring rain and some astounding luck (including some byzantine TZ removal on the final turn) see my Dark Elves deafeat iNinja's skaven 3-0. I don't think I got any levels out of it, so I'm still the lowest TV team in Div 3. Thats said, now iNinja has some casualties to worry about...

Tom OBedlam
16-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Lowhanging Fruits 1 - 2 Blighty's Blighters

Crikey, what a game to start the season off for the Blighters! Both sides suffered hugely from the icy pitch and stiff fingers with plenty of failed GFIs and a thorough inability to pick up the ball. Though the Blighters managed to squeak a win, it was pretty touch and go when nuffle cursed me for my cockiness, which led to two touchdown oppurtunities getting robbed.

I'd like to thank the Wood Elves for providing me with lots of lovely SPP, by the end of the match Windward's casualty box looked like this:

Sorry for all the mangled elves, matey :)

DarkFenix
17-11-2011, 02:56 PM
The acid bricks await all sinners who fail to update the holy spreadsheet of destiny (I'm looking at you Tom OBedlam and Windward).

Day ends today folks, get those games in if you haven't already, you've got a few days then all get called time on, maybe a bit longer if you're in a sinful division where neither fixture has been played.

All finished games validated, all divisions rolled on where possible.

ChainsawHands
17-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Lowhanging Fruits 1 - 2 Blighty's Blighters

Crikey, what a game to start the season off for the Blighters! Both sides suffered hugely from the icy pitch and stiff fingers with plenty of failed GFIs and a thorough inability to pick up the ball. Though the Blighters managed to squeak a win, it was pretty touch and go when nuffle cursed me for my cockiness, which led to two touchdown oppurtunities getting robbed.

I'd like to thank the Wood Elves for providing me with lots of lovely SPP, by the end of the match Windward's casualty box looked like this:

Sorry for all the mangled elves, matey :)All those elfs... you're doing Nuffle's work, my son.

Screwie
17-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Sorry for all the mangled elves, matey :)

Ouch! At least they were only line elves...

Tom OBedlam
17-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Yeah the wardancer took a dive in the first round to avoid a kicking :)

Rakysh
17-11-2011, 09:38 PM
*approaches with offering to Nuffle and the Admin-Gods of RPSdom in the shape of malt liquor*

O great and mighty ones, I am not worthy, for I have neglected my halfling-based duties. Pray, grant me and my noble opponent an extension of a mere day, and we shall conclude the holy business of killing hobbits by no later than 4 pm tomorrow.

*grovels*

jryan
18-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Well, I am back from the funeral, but now work is being an ass. When is the deadline for this match?

Screwie
18-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Technically the deadline's passed (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?54-RPS-Blood-Bowl-League-The-many-many-Divisions-of-Death!&p=58134&viewfull=1#post58134). I don't know if we can get a tiny extension but if so I am free to play this evening.

It's up to GC though (pretty pretty please?) :)

groovychainsaw
18-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah, n oworries chaps, if you can get sorted today that's fine.

In other news, me and Combat played last night, his roughhousing chaos (all mighty blow, piling on and claws) versus my blocky humans. My opening attack was instantly defused by a succession of blocks/pushes/boneheads, leaving me well trapped in my half. Combat wasted no time in tying up my players and slowly grinding my team down, leaving me with 8 players and a couple of 2 turn stuns on turn 6. Ball carrier was wayyyy exposed and the ball got spilt, picked up by a chaos warrior and run in on turn 7. My guys get back up, make some hits, then its the second half. I try attacking the ball to get back into the game, even taking out the ball carrier at one point in the second half, but the ball spilt into the hands of another beastman and left me with few defensive options. Combat spent the last 4 turns closing the game out, with his man standing on my touchline, whilst I got back down to 8 players again (all KO's!), pinned upfield. A failed handoff gave me half a chance at a longshot draw, but luck was not with me as the hit I needed to get at the ball failed to end the game 1-0 to combat.

I was mostly out-strengthed more than anything. I didn't seem to get the armour breaks combat was picking up for the most part (although did end up with 3 CAS to Combat's 1, continuing my good cas-causing form), good KOs and 2 turn stuns from combat in both halves left me short on players. A few chaos warriors with guard and block swarming you makes it hard to get away. My plan of playing a passing game swiftly fell apart due to the struggles with making blocks, lack of players and the ease of marking combat was left with. All-in-all, needed more guard to play. I wish some of my players would get some levels, the only person who really gained was the ogre, scoring 2 CAS, so he's pushing on toward lvl 4 now...

Next up Nurgle. What a difference that will make, eh? Slightly less guard there, slightly more block. Its not going to be easy...

Schizoslayer
18-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Don't forget lots more disturbing presence making a passing game even more unlikely.

alh_p
18-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Next up Nurgle. What a difference that will make, eh? Slightly less guard there, slightly more block. Its not going to be easy...
Fewer beasts though, so make sure you knock out the pestigors and you should be able to play a more agile game.

Your focus on big-guys and success with your ogre is interesting. My own experiences with my most polemic minotaur are not so grand, but then an ogre is more reliable, and I guess there's more sources for ST5 hits in my team. (Please note I'm not re-igniting the minotaur discussion).

jryan
18-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Technically the deadline's passed (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?54-RPS-Blood-Bowl-League-The-many-many-Divisions-of-Death!&p=58134&viewfull=1#post58134). I don't know if we can get a tiny extension but if so I am free to play this evening.

It's up to GC though (pretty pretty please?) :)

Well, crap. If not I will forfeit, obviously. This hasn't been the best week ever.

Screwie
18-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Well, crap. If not I will forfeit, obviously. This hasn't been the best week ever.

GC already responded, but you know that having read my PM. I'll see you on Steam tonight :)

boots468
18-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Does anyone have any handy links / experience of unblocking your router's ports for Blood Bowl? The last few games I've played took a few invites to get started with the 'Please check port 19162 is open' message recieved. I've had a look at the router's settings and nothing seems amiss, but I could well be misreading it.

Cheers,

Jiiiiim
18-11-2011, 02:32 PM
The gist of it is you go to your router's homepage and forward that port. Doesn't solve all connection issues but solves a fair few. For more detailed info than that you need what router you actually have and someone more technically competent than me.

President Weasel
18-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Simpleportforwarding.com has howtos for a bunch of different routers, although you might have to search around a bit for the article since I don't think it's on the front page these days.

alh_p
18-11-2011, 02:39 PM
There was a decent-ish post on the cyanide forums if you search for that. I think there's an app which automates port-forwarding for you -avoiding the need to get into the guts of your router if you prefer not to.

This site may also help: http://portforward.com/

boots468
18-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks guys, I'll have a proper rummage around my router and the sites mentioned above when I get home. Cheers!

Vexing Vision
18-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Let me know if you get it to work - portforward.com worked great for me until the last Bloodbowl Patch, which was supposed to increase stability but meant that I'm seeing an increased amount of said message too.

Apparently it now has to do with your home machine having the same last IP-nominator than your machine will cause this error to show up more often.

MadDave123
18-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Fewer beasts though, so make sure you knock out the pestigors and you should be able to play a more agile game.OI! Stop giving tips to my enemy. :p

In other news, me and Karandraz played a most exciting game yesterday evening. My Nurgle vs his Lizardmens.

Lots of bashing as expected, with both halves turning into massive bundles around ultra-cages and fumbled balls. It really wasn't pretty. Almost all of the TDs could have gone either way, with Nuffle calling the final shots in each case. Karandraz suffered a lot from disturning presence and some late game bone-heads. I had to deal with successive 1's on GFI rolls and sneaky stunty skinks that were too cheeky for their own good. ;)

End result, 2 - 1 to my Nurglors. A really enjoyable game throughout.

Best of all, my new Beasty didn't die. :D

jryan
19-11-2011, 05:55 AM
GC already responded, but you know that having read my PM. I'll see you on Steam tonight :)

It was a tale of two halves. One in which the stake dodgers scored, and another in which the Stake dodgers scored.

In actuality is was a really great game until my wife called with car problems, thus ending the most worstest week in a long while. The first half was a lost of trading blows, the Stakes killing one linemen after starting with two, count'em TWO turns failing to pickup the kick off.

I had to use my apo early on a dead Werewolf, and failing two consecutive tackle zones I inadvertently opened up a lane on the Stakes left side that the murderous vampire ducked threw. As the Stakes prolonged the scoring drive I took out my frustration on his thralls. Many thralls fell in turn 8.

By the Second half he only had his three vampires and four thralls when the phone rang. I like to think that my 11 players could have overcome what amounted to 4.5 Vampire players but fate had one last pile of poo to throw at me this week. I left the game open and ran to assist my wife and returned in time to see a very patient Screwbie waiting to score on turn 16.

2-0 Stakes.

I await my next match up. I have an hour or so on Fridays at 5:00pm est barring wife car exploding, and really any night after 9:00pm EST. Weekdays before 9:00 are prone to change without notice due to work and family, and weekends are usually good on Sunday... just not this one because dsatardly fate screwage decided to sneak one last eye poke in and I have to work Sunday.

Good game Screwbie, and you are an amazing patient opponent.

Screwie
19-11-2011, 09:46 AM
I just spent most of the second half seeing how many of your norse I could keep hypnotised at once :)

I do think you had a strong chance to turn it around in the second half, and it's a shame we didn't get to find out. Still, the first half was exciting and violent and very challenging. Thanks for the game.

Jiiiiim
19-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Monopole Magnates (lizards, Jim) 1-1 Longus Barba (dorfs, MrPier)
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3672/moneybagsk.png

President Weasel
19-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Dear Jiim,

I laughed out loud several times. Seriously. Reading a match report about blood bowl.

I have come to treasure you.

Best,
PWeasel.

Screwie
19-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Splendid report. Just brilliant.

LowKey
19-11-2011, 11:05 PM
I long to play Jiiim

ntw
19-11-2011, 11:25 PM
M<snip>...I await my next match up. I have an hour or so on Fridays at 5:00pm est barring wife car exploding, and really any night after 9:00pm EST. Weekdays before 9:00 are prone to change without notice due to work and family, and weekends are usually good on Sunday... just not this one because dsatardly fate screwage decided to sneak one last eye poke in and I have to work Sunday.

Good game Screwbie, and you are an amazing patient opponent.

Also post this in the match organising group, if you haven't already...

jryan
20-11-2011, 01:59 AM
I just did. Has someone validated the match yet?

karandraz
20-11-2011, 02:36 AM
Congrats to Mad Dave on his win, it was a tough no ones going to give an inch slugfest. Lets see how i fair against combat next, then am coming for you groovy!

Jiiiiim
20-11-2011, 02:49 AM
The thing is, I'm now about...five? seasons in and Moneybags is the first player who's left the team. I haven't lost or retired a skink. Skinks are made of paper. I had a look at career stats and the skinks have, between them, suffered 28 casualties without dying. Good work, skinks.

Need a new monopoly-themed name for my next Kroxigor. I'm thinking Go just so every time he uses prehensile tail I can say "You cannot pass Go"

MadDave123
20-11-2011, 04:33 AM
I'm thinking Go just so every time he uses prehensile tail I can say "You cannot pass Go"Lol. I love it. :D

Jolima
20-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Yay, I just won my game against Alethron with 2-1 and with that the championship for the second time in a row.

Both of us played to the same tactic of keeping a thrower far back while pushing forward with the rest of the team. The game was marked by some bad luck at important times, double skulls for the elves and feeding frenzies for my vamps mostly. Besides those times, both teams played competently and without too many injuries.

Thanks for the game Alethron.

Xercies
20-11-2011, 02:28 PM
I haven't lost or retired a skink. Skinks are made of paper.

I'm finding this as well, my skinks seem to be really hardy because one hasn't died yet and only some have had minor injuries. They get knocked out easily but thats about it.

ChainsawHands
20-11-2011, 05:23 PM
2-0 for Elf Harm over NieA7's Read in Tooth and Claw. The elf bastards chose to kick, but then somehow managed to hold the injury fairy off for long enough to snatch a touchdown at the end of the first half. Receiving in the second, they suffered a disaster when their coach's inattention resulted in the turn timer running out with the ball being held by a catcher standing right beside an opposing star player.

Oops.

However, things took a turn for the better soon after that, as an elf lineman was fouled to death. Well, fouled to -1ST, but the apothecary wisely suggested we end his life instead. Knowing that Nuffle loves elf blood, I sacrificed the lineman to His dark hunger, and was able to go on to snatch the ball back and score, putting me 2-0 up.

(And on the final turn I ran 10 squares to pick the ball up and then passed it to someone in an enemy tackle zone, because elfs are bastards.)

Thanks to NieA7 for the game, it was always going to be tough when you're 600K of inducements behind, but he played well and gave me an enjoyable match.

NieA7
20-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Just got comprehensively beaten by ChainsawHands invulnerable elfs 2-0. The dice administered a light Nuffling but generally speaking neither I nor my team was up to the job. A healthy 660k of inducements got spent on a babe, two bribes and Count Luthor, who was something of a mixed bag. He used 3 of my four re-rolls in the first half and managed no more than 2 hypnotic gazes all match, but when I gave up on that idea and started hitting people with him he was more effective.

The bribes were much better value for money, both got used and fouling was the only way I got any casualties (including one elf who ended up at -1 strength, rerolled to dead). The first half consisted mainly of me failing to get over the half way line while the cursed elfs danced around singing silly songs about flowers while refusing to fall over. Particularly impressive was the leaping strength 4 freak who managed to end up in the middle of my cage holding the ball at one point. Eventually the inevitable happened and the ball got to an elf who could escape, and despite a valiant chase from the Count the elfs scored on the last turn of the half.

Second half was more of the same in many ways. A series of impressive moves from the elfs was cut short when they ran out of time, leaving the ball carrier very vulnerable. What followed was my best turn of the game - while my blocking was sub-par most of the match, somehow everything this turn resolved to a pow, leaving stunned elfs all over the pitch and the ball safely in the hands of a wolf. Wasn't to last though as some careless positioning left him in the open, easy prey for the str 4 freak. Eventually the elfs threw the ball downfield into open space where none of the dead could quite reach. A cunning plan to use Count Luthor to chuck it back upfield again was cut short when a Golem managed to double skull early on, leaving the ball open for an easy elfy run-in.

With two turns left to score it was theoretically possible to pull one back, but a perfect defense roll followed by a a failed go for it put paid to that, leaving the final score 2-0.

I was pretty much expecting to lose this game, and in the event ChainsawHands played better anyway to gain a thoroughly deserved win. The MVP landed on a Wight (though not the one who refuses to level up, of course), finally getting me some mighty blow. This division always looked beyond Tooth and Claw, especially after the death of their star wolf - relegation is looming large in the future. So long as there are no dorfs down there it's probably for the best.

imirk
21-11-2011, 01:42 AM
2-1 to the queens of the neighborhood, in a sloppy, rainy game. GG Wolfenswan.

alh_p
21-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Jarvis and I played our Chaos-off yesterday. In traditional un-sportsmanly manner, I purposefully neglected to record the result promtly. Yeah, take THAT.

In other news, my 1900TV team, veterans of the dawn of the RPS divisions, were beaten in a textbook 2-1 grind by some upstarts from the land of Jarvis. Mayble I've been dosing my team with too much adulation of Tzeench, or I was too keen to get back on with some Skyrimming (yes, that IS how I play it).

Anyhoo, that puts me in line for a demotion from this season - 1 draw, 1 loss. Unless... I can get really lucky and smack the hell out of some zons...

Unlikely.

Alethron
21-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the game Jolima. Usual bad luck for both teams, Jolima capitalised on it better than I did and deserved the win. Gratz on the Championship. AND FOR ENDING MY 22 GAME UNBEATEN RUN. QQ

potatoedoughnut
21-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Alistair and I finished our game 2-2 tie between his humans and my necros.

I had 100k in inducements which I spent on a bribe which did nothing (should have gotten babes). I started off receiving, but it didn't go too well. One of my wolves got KOed on turn 1 or 2 and proceeded to nap the rest of the match (failed 5 KO rolls -_-), which made things difficult all game long. Anyway after some switching back and forth from left to right a bit the humans were able to get the ball far away from the necros and then score on turn 7. This left me with 2 turns to score.

Amazingly I was able to get a couple receivers downfield, not get then knocked over, then get them clear, then make a pass into the endzone to tie things up 1-1 at halftime.

At the beginning of the second half an off-field kickoff gave the ball to the Ogre who pushed aggressively down the center with some support. A quick handoff to a catcher resulted in a TD on turn 2.

After receiving a ghoul hung back with the ball while the rest of the team moved up to punch things. And punch things they did. Over a turn or two the humans suffered 2 cas and 2 KO and some stuns which let the Necros put in the equalizer 2-2 with 2 turns to go.

The humans weren't able to get any receivers downfield so the necros moved up and tried to take the ball. A ghoul and werewolf were able to knock over the thrower, but some less that awesome bounces let the humans get the ball back and hail mary the ball deep in the Necro half. There was a chance to put in the winning TD since I left a wight in the backfield, but needed to pick up, short pass, catch, then handoff. Of course the pickup failed (w/ a RR) leaving the final 2-2.

It was kind of a strange game with some streaks of good rolls for the both of us, then some patches of fail, but on average Nuffle didn't favor either of us too heavily.

GG and GL with your next match Alistair!

Screwie
22-11-2011, 12:12 AM
I just did. Has someone validated the match yet?

Hi Jryan. For your benefit and any other DoD newcomers, the "match organising group" ntw refers to is in the "RPS Divisions of Death" group under Community > Groups. Just join that group, find the thread for your division and voila. The old match organising forum thread is no longer used.

(Groovychainsaw, perhaps its time to change the info in the first post of this thread?)

Having said that, Div F's last match still hasn't been validated and the division rolled on to Day 2 yet.

mrpier
22-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Right, thinking about letting my dwarfs have a rest and start another team. Prime candidates are skaven and pro elfs/woodies, I considered goblins as well, but I know I'll just get frustrated and quit them after a season or two. Most likely I'll end up in skaven-land as I'm running a High Elf team in the RPS open league. Any suggestions? My favourite team is probably the orcs, but they're a bit too close to the dorfs in playing style, ie. bash-bash-bash.

Vexing Vision
22-11-2011, 11:53 AM
More variety is good, and there is a surprising lack of Skavens in the Divisions right now.

I have never been able to get Pro Elves to work either, though - I'd love to play against a high-developed pro-elf team at one point, just to see what I'm doing wrong with them.

DarkFenix
22-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Well the nature of skaven here is they tend to either get very successful or very dead in a very short time. Either way, they're an adrenaline-rush team that seems often to get retired before too long.

mrpier
22-11-2011, 02:50 PM
I think I'll go skaven this time, do I have to do anything in the spreadsheet to mark me as rebooting?

Screwie
22-11-2011, 03:01 PM
I believe it goes like this:
In column C, put your new team choice in {} curly brackets.
In hidden column E, put R1 (or if there is an R1, the next free number).

ntw
22-11-2011, 03:25 PM
I think I'll go skaven this time, do I have to do anything in the spreadsheet to mark me as rebooting?

in the E column put -
R1 {Ska}

HughTower
22-11-2011, 11:39 PM
AV
Right, thinking about letting my dwarfs have a rest and start another team. Prime candidates are skaven and pro elfs/woodies, I considered goblins as well, but I know I'll just get frustrated and quit them after a season or two. Most likely I'll end up in skaven-land as I'm running a High Elf team in the RPS open league. Any suggestions? My favourite team is probably the orcs, but they're a bit too close to the dorfs in playing style, ie. bash-bash-bash.

You wouldn't believe how excited I am about this happening... Two games, two losses to the dorf classic grind, months of misery.

Thank you, Mr Pier.

DarkFenix
22-11-2011, 11:50 PM
I'll be glad to see the back of mrpier's dorfs too, one of very few teams that ever had my rats particularly worried. Bloody midgets and their bloody guard spam.

boots468
23-11-2011, 12:01 AM
LowKey's Undead Vs My Vamps:

First half went as normal really - a few thralls are injured, and the recieving Undead run in a TD on about turn 5 or so despite the deployment of my wizard (who I actually remembered I had for once!), with a marked ghoul managing an interception in the pouring rain. Some chain pushing and a lucky long throw sees me equalise though, without time for Lowkey to get a second.

Second half sees just 8 of my players line up to recieve in nice weather against his 11, and I fear the worst. A vamp and thrall sit deep in my half with the ball, while the other six try and get past the guard-heavy undead lines. It doesn't really work, and my ball carrier is also sacked by a wight. My luck changed then though as the vamp stood up, passed bloodlust, picked up the ball and threw it the maximum distance allowed without Hail Mary, where another vamp caught it! he takes the two surviving thralls with him downfield to the undead goalline, where thanks to a failed ghoul dodge, a fairly solid cage is built. Not fancying my chances to not concede again (down to 5 players now), I wait around and in turn 14 a wight is forced into a blitz which would require a 6+ dodge and then double defender-down to stop me. It succeeds, also knocking the ball into the crowd, who throw it fairly safe. Fairly safe is a comparative term around vamps though, and a couple of dodges and a blitz gives me the ball again, needing a 2+ throw and catch to score. I fail it though, and suddenly he has achance to run the length of the pitch with his wight - it's a very close thing, and all re-rolls are used up, but with the last action of the game, he just gets over the line to make it 2-1. At which point I have 2 players left on the pitch, both lying down behind his goalline.

It was a really close, tense game and I enjoyed it a lot (despite losing yet again), thanks Lowkey!

Gorm
23-11-2011, 12:33 AM
still awaiting a reply from Valiant. How did Grinn get hold of him? I've added him on steam but he hasnt accepted

duff
23-11-2011, 05:04 PM
In other news, my 1900TV team, veterans of the dawn of the RPS divisions, were beaten in a textbook 2-1 grind by some upstarts from the land of Jarvis.

Pretty mad to think its almost a year since the league expanded fully and we made new teams, although I feel bad about leaving my Orcs now. :(

Also, anyone know if the pass skill works with dump-off? You can't use a team reroll with it so I was just wondering.

President Weasel
23-11-2011, 05:20 PM
I know nerves of steel does, which suggests the passing skills are meant to work with it, but I've never had a player with both skills so I don't know if pass and dump-off work together in the game.

Screwie
23-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Folks, I hate to be a pest but can someone please roll Div F on to Day 2?

Vexing Vision
23-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Pretty mad to think its almost a year since the league expanded fully and we made new teams, although I feel bad about leaving my Orcs now. :(

Also, anyone know if the pass skill works with dump-off? You can't use a team reroll with it so I was just wondering.

You can only use team rerolls on your turn. It is not possible to reroll your rolls on your opponent's turn (like intercept, tentacles or the pass during dump-off).

However, all skills are applicable. Pass, accuracy and even strong arm work for dump-off.

Nullkigan
23-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Got thrashed 2-1 by Duffin who played entirely too seriously considering how badly I was shooting myself in the foot throughout. The Div 3 DElf-DElf game wasn't even a real contest.

Turn 1 was bad enough when it ended with my (receiver) having just as many players on the floor as him. Turn 2 revealed that I don't know jack about multiple block (you can't use it as part of a blitz) and saw the entirety of our TV difference, one Horkon, start part one of his 13 turn nap. By the end of the first half I was four players down, including a death and a MNG. Oddly I don't think either one of us needed a reroll for at leas the first 6, maybe 10 turns. Duffin scored handily after stealing the ball.

Only learning the difference between Duffin's two star blitzers let me make any progress at all. The Mighty Blower was wildly successful until fouled out, and the sidestepper was a constant thorn in my side. Even when I have 4+ players with MB I never get a string of injuries like that :( Despite a Blitz result ruining my refused flank strategy, I was able to pull off a long series of rolls and score in the final turn of the first half using the tried and tested Handoff->Pass->Dodge->GFI strategy.

The second half was interrupted by a series of telephone calls regarding job interview dates (turns out my mobile is fucked beyond repair and has been for at least a week) which Duffin kindly stalled through. An -AV on a witch-elf foul (apo'd to BH with the malicious player sent off) precipitated the most ludicrous attempts at dodges and leaps seen by elf or man which predictably got nowhere. In one case, I'd forgotten to hit the blitz button whilst taking down assessment criteria but that didn't matter because the leap failed spectacularly anyway. Unmodified agility my rear end!

The only consolation is that a lineself levelled up. I say consolation, I mean TV bloat. At least I had a death to cover it ...

Thanks for the game, Duff, and sorry about the interruptions/delays/not being a real challenge.

ChainsawHands
23-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Folks, I hate to be a pest but can someone please roll Div F on to Day 2?Done.

Fucksake 10 characters I'll give you 10 characters you bastard forum software right down your FUCKING ELECTRONIC THROAT!

ntw
23-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Done.

Fucksake 10 characters I'll give you 10 characters you bastard forum software right down your FUCKING ELECTRONIC THROAT!

Word, brother.

HughTower
23-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Done.

Hahaha....

President Weasel
23-11-2011, 10:33 PM
The RPS Divisions of Death!

Division 2!

Wednesday Night, Slightly After 7.30pm!

Desvergeh's Necros versus President Weasel's Chaos Mans!

1700 vs 1670!

Who will win?

Me.
By a much higher margin than I deserved, too. Des chose to kick, and despite my agi 4 beastman failing to keep hold of a simple handoff, he managed to recover the ball next turn and run in a touchdown. Des had 3 turns to try and score but I managed to stall him. My plan of targeting the werewolves (and the ghouls when they weren't hiding) in order to whittle down the ball carriers on his team was achieving nothing, and we went into the second half with 2 KOd guys on my team and one on his. One of my guys woke up, and we both had plenty of subs anyway.
The second half saw Des try a risky play, making a hole in my line and then trying a handoff practically in the middle of my team in an attempt to get a wight through my lines and away. The wight failed to hold onto the ball, and it landed next to about 4 of my players. I managed to blitz the wight onto the ball and it bounced into the hands of one of my chaos mans. I got him up the side of the pitch in a couple of turns and then made the first successful handoff of the evening for a touchdown, putting enough points onto one of my mans to give him guard to go with the block. Ooh, or mighty blow... choices, choices.
With only a handful of turns left I took off my best players and put on the second string in order to try to spread points through the team. They seemed to have something to prove as the benchwarmers actually managed to turn armour breaks into a couple of casualties, unlike the feeble efforts of the first team.
Trying to get back into the game with a fast touchdown Des failed a dodge with his wight and spilled the ball, and I then managed to get a completely undeserved third touchdown in the final turn, with beastmen scooping up the ball and making passes and catches (actual catches!) like they were elves or something.

3-0 to the Red Skull Reavers, but that's a very flattering scoreline considering the way I and Desvergeh played; I suspect that stat analysis program would show Desvergeh had a nasty case of the ones this evening.

All I have to do now is beat Chainsawhands's elf team and I get promoted! (hollow laugh)

ntw
24-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Team Pestigor has announced that they have started looking for a new coach, ntw will be leaving the club by mutual agreement at the end of the season and will be seen next season in the lower leagues coaching a rookie team.

Kelron
24-11-2011, 01:01 AM
My elves were unusually fearsome tonight, and battered their way through the hapless Nurgles for a 2-0 victory. Mostly due to lucky dice and my Witch Elf on steroids mercilessly hunting the ball carrier down the length of the pitch.

Alistair Hutton
24-11-2011, 11:29 AM
The only consolation is that a lineself levelled up. I say consolation, I mean TV bloat. At least I had a death to cover it ...

There is no such thing as TV bloat, that is the mindset of players who try to suck the fun out of the game. There is only players getting better.

ChainsawHands
24-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Desvergeh's Necros versus President Weasel's Chaos Mans!

1700 vs 1670!

Who will win?

Me.
That's not what the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0VreXc&hl=en&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=21) says...

desvergeh
24-11-2011, 01:26 PM
3-0 to the Red Skull Reavers, but that's a very flattering scoreline considering the way I and Desvergeh played; I suspect that stat analysis program would show Desvergeh had a nasty case of the ones this evening.

To be fair I played pretty poorly. Not much luck on the dice, but you also had very poor block rolls. If you had been rolling better I would have been in serious trouble.

Thinking of switching teams next season. I'm just not getting the hang of necros.

Against a bashy team I can't outbash, and I do not have speed to keep my distance or the skills to pass.

Against an agility I simply don't have enough power to put them down, and over half my team just cannot keep pace.

Don't get me wrong, have undoubtedly learnt a lot, but it just always feels like I am just trying to keep up with whatever team I play against.

It also hasn't helped that it seems to somehow be my zombies skilling up. Yet again MVP went to a zombie!

Time to try something else I think, will take a look to see what is free.

Thanks for the game President, a deserved win!

ChainsawHands
24-11-2011, 01:34 PM
There is no such thing as TV bloat, that is the mindset of players who try to suck the fun out of the game. There is only players getting better.That's only true if you assume that everyone shares your definition of fun, which presumably involves a player-centric, RPGish view of your team where a player having more levels makes him better. An equally valid view would be a team-centric one in which case a player levelling is only "getting better" if his doing so makes the team better, which involves a cost/benefit analysis of the TV gain versus the skill, and can indeed encompass TV bloat as a valid concept. Indeed, from the perspective of what will make your team most efficient at winning matches, you could make a strong case that TV bloat is always real, some players just (perfectly validly) choose to disregard it in favour of what they consider a more enjoyable way of playing.

tl;dr: fun is subjective, TV bloat is real.

Or, as this is an internet forum: lol you have fun levelling up your little mans, some of us want to play BB properly, n00b.

Nullkigan
24-11-2011, 01:38 PM
That's only true if you assume that everyone shares your definition of fun, which presumably involves a player-centric, RPGish view of your team where a player having more levels makes him better. An equally valid view would be a team-centric one in which case a player levelling is only "getting better" if his doing so makes the team better, which involves a cost/benefit analysis of the TV gain versus the skill, and can indeed encompass TV bloat as a valid concept.

Or, as this is an internet forum: lol you have fun levelling up your little mans, some of us want to play BB properly, n00b.

Hey, I purposefully avoided replying because it leads down that dark path. I was complaining mostly because that was a new lino and my Witch Elves are still level 1 after five games! (Also, when you play against a machine like Duffin you need every advantage you can get)

ChainsawHands
24-11-2011, 01:41 PM
I just like to wind Al up. (This is true for many values of "Al").

BUY FROZEN SYNAPSE, AL!

duff
24-11-2011, 01:59 PM
chainsawhands - Most diplomatic answer of the week.

nulkigan - it wasn't that bad of a game. In the second half you managed to dispossess me once and because of my idiocy you could have got a second block on him with a 5+ (ish) dodge.

TV bloat is definitely a factor I consider. I'd say I'm aware of it and try and get my SPP where I want it (for example Lizardmen are a team where you will very quickly become aware of TV bloat). But I wouldn't go so far as to say a level 2 lineman is tv bloat, especially given how good elf linemen are. A concern I have with my delfs is the worth of having 1 or 2 witch elfs. Yes they are good but incredibly fragile and expensive, I would say having two unlevelled witch elfs is more of a tv bloat than anything on your team, Nullkigan.

Nullkigan
24-11-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm not actually THAT concerned by bloat or my poor performance, I'm planning on getting an assassin eventually :)

Besides, I like having the Witch Elves to scare people away from the sidelines. It Also lets me free up blitzers for the centre, and a sidestep Blitzer with Witch Elf support on each flank is pretty terrifying for anyone without grab/Stand Firm.

ntw
24-11-2011, 02:49 PM
That's not what the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLqFqKgH&key=0ApZtTuVnFIbvdDRKQ20yb0N1Zy1FMlcybFFFQ0VreXc&hl=en&authkey=CLqFqKgH#gid=21) says...

He's right - you might want to check the sheet PW & Des

Tom OBedlam
24-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I love levelling up my linesmen. A scrimmidge line covered in block/guard humans is a beautiful sight. Especially with two MB/guard blitzers nearby.

desvergeh
24-11-2011, 03:10 PM

LOL so PW can play a good game, but spreadsheets are a challenge!

President Weasel
24-11-2011, 03:30 PM
That was a tad special of me. Fixed now.

President Weasel
24-11-2011, 03:52 PM
That's an interesting perspective on the Necros, Des, because I was thinking the exact opposite - that your team had more speed and agility than mine in the wolves and ghouls, and that your roadblock golems and your cheap, disposable (but not completely fragile, at AV8) skeletons let you screen your runners quite effectively.
Turn your wolves into killers (tackle to make sure you slaughter elfy teams, block, mighty blow, and maybe piling on for the sheer joy of elbow dropping someone's star player and sending them to the casualty box), and then you should be able to do enough damage to the opposition that they can't just bash you off the pitch.
You don't actually need to be able to outpace the enemy's faster players with your entire team - as long as you can get a couple of players to the runner you should be golden.

They're not as ridiculously specialised as the lizards (big guys with no agility and agile guys with no big) but they're a generalist team with decent specialists (if that makes any sense?). I wouldn't suggest trying a passing game unless you get +agi on a ghoul though.

desvergeh
24-11-2011, 04:42 PM
I actually find that I can usually mount a decent defence, last night was a bit of an exception.

The trouble I find is offence.

I generally end up closed in by the opponents defence. I can then either try to bash my way out (and find I am not bashy enough), or try to dodge out (and find I don't have the agility). As a result I always find myself pushed into risky plays, which pretty much never pan out.

I also think the necros punish inexperienced coaches. Stupid mistakes can get one of your positionals knocked out of the game, which can prove devastating.

I'm sure Necros can be a good team in the right hands. I'm just thinking another team might be a slightly less steep learning curve.

President Weasel
24-11-2011, 05:06 PM
I noticed you seemed to tend to form a many-player cage, like
x x
xox
xxx

where x are your players and 0 is the ball. That might explain your getting closed in - make a cage with just the corners, and you could dedicate those other three guys to helping your team screen off some space or being a handoff option and drawing away some of my players to cover.

Rakysh
24-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Also means you can't have your ball carrier pushed out of the cage. There a block on the bottom middle x could push the o into the open.

Alini
24-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Unless you're fighting elves, in which case they will roll into you tackle zones, blitz your ball carrier, grab the ball and then dash out or pass it.

NieA7
24-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I've not had huge success with mine, but generally I think they're a solid side. Defense is easier with them than offense (the Flesh Golem's make wonderful road blocks while the wolves hunt down anything juicy), certainly I've found it difficult to score in a number of games.

I'm not absolutely convinced that Necros are a good caging team, I think they're probably better at applying threat and moving quickly - rather than run a cage down the pitch (difficult with slow/strong and fast/feeble players) try to set up a central cage to defend the ball while the wolves and wights push down each side of the pitch. The wolves only need two turns to comfortably run the ball in, so long as you stay within hand-off distance of the ball carrier they're both threats that need covering in addition to shutting down the cage.

The other option is hugging the edges of the pitch - Necro's excel at this thanks to frenzy on the wolves and stand firm on the golems. I do this more often than I should probably, and it's no good if you need to run down the clock (after 3 or 4 turns you'll almost certainly be fully blocked in), but it can be brutally effective against slower teams.

desvergeh
24-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I generally start with a central cage, then transition that into a faster running play when the opportunity presents. The trouble is getting that opportunity.

And if you go for a run and get bogged down again it is problematic due to the differing speeds of the team. If I end up stuck in the opposing end of the pitch I find it really difficult to get myself out of that position.

NieA7
24-11-2011, 05:40 PM
True, if you've got both wolves in the other end you've gotta make sure you can hang on to the ball otherwise you'll almost certainly concede a TD. I've had more success setting up on one side rather than ploughing through the middle, but yeah, it's tricky. If it works it's almost impossible to stop, but what determines how well or not is works is how the other guy manages space, which is largely out of your hands.

Course, the other thing is that being good on defense often opens up the possibility of a defensive TD.

Alistair Hutton
24-11-2011, 06:05 PM
That's only true if you assume that everyone shares your definition of fun

Which is the correct definition of fun.

which presumably involves a player-centric, RPGish view of your team where a player having more levels makes him better.

Yes, having lots of mans is fun. Having lots of mans that do more stuff is clearly better fun.

An equally valid view

Given that it is a view in opposition to my own I see yo have made an incorrect and exceedingly faulty premise.

would be a team-centric one in which case a player levelling is only "getting better" if his doing so makes the team better,

You're not improving your argument any here.

which involves a cost/benefit analysis of the TV gain versus the skill, and can indeed encompass TV bloat as a valid concept. Indeed, from the perspective of what will make your team most efficient at winning matches, you could make a strong case that TV bloat is always real, some players just (perfectly validly) choose to disregard it in favour of what they consider a more enjoyable way of playing.

Translation: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

tl;dr: fun is subjective, TV bloat is real.

You clearly don't understand the concept of BadWrongFun.

This is pretty much the only part of your argument that works. Or it would do if you weren't such a damn n00b. Learn 2 PLaY.

Alistair Hutton
24-11-2011, 06:11 PM
I generally start with a central cage, then transition that into a faster running play when the opportunity presents. The trouble is getting that opportunity.

I'd recommend a cage strongly positioned on one side of the pitch rather than centrally placed. By focusing on one side this has the tendency of making opponents over commit on that side opening up the other half of the field. I think quite a lot of coaches make the mistake of thinking of Necros as a "slow" team and would get caught out by a Wight and Wolf making a break across field with your cheap zombies happily sacrificing themselves to tie up the opposition.

President Weasel
24-11-2011, 07:00 PM
I've been caught before by a slight variation on that tactic, where the safety I left back precisely to avoid getting "Huttoned" like that got taken out by a werewolf. Those things move surprisingly far.

Alistair Hutton
24-11-2011, 07:57 PM
I've been caught before by a slight variation on that tactic, where the safety I left back precisely to avoid getting "Huttoned" like that got taken out by a werewolf. Those things move surprisingly far.

Your mans needed more skills.

See how I've expertly blended two conversation threads into a single post? I win at the internet.

Now if only I could win at Blood Bowl.

Kelron
24-11-2011, 07:58 PM
I haven't played Necros but Undead are fairly similar, and my biggest problem was getting bogged down on the offense. Undead are perhaps a little more inclined to bashing their way through in a cage thanks to the Mummies and Mighty Blow, but I found it was very important to keep pressure on the wings with my Wights and Ghouls. If you try to force your way through and don't manage to KO anyone, you can quickly get your cage surrounded and forward progress becomes difficult even against a weaker team, as even if you can block and follow up with the front of your cage, it will leave your weaker players at the back exposed.

My most successful tactic was to keep my Mummies near the centre and use my zombies as a screen, with Wights and Ghouls staying mobile as much as possible. It forces your opponent to spread out, if they all surround the Mummies then the mobile players can rush up the sides while the zombies tie up as many opponents as possible (I had block and tackle on multiple zombies, which I think is well worth the extra TV).

Rakysh
24-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Having played a bit of necro in Fumbbl fairly successfully, I'd say the best offence is to keep a ghoul with the ball behind a screen of zombies and flesh golems, and then have the wights, werewolves and other ghoul go round the sides. Once one of the later finishes a turn standing up in range of the endzone, go for the handoff. Ag 3 and a reroll is not terrible odds.

Axler
24-11-2011, 10:00 PM
I honestly think Necros are the best hybrid team but that could be because they are the hybrid team I am best with, if that makes sense. :D

You do need to tailor your tactics to the opposition though and protect your wolves and ghoul (if you take one) at all costs.

Also someone mentioned MB/PO wolves above. You need doubles for strength skills on Wolves so it's not often you can get both.

laneford
24-11-2011, 10:19 PM
I would never give a wolf piling on.

Even though they now have regen, you're just inviting fouls, also taking a very mobile player out of the game for another turn whilst he gets to his feet.

NieA7
24-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Me either - Mighty Blow and Juggernaut are the two doubles I'd consider, though after MB there are so many useful normal/agility skills I might even pass on the second.

Apropos of nothing my Necros have yet to roll ONE SINGLE DAMN DOUBLE OR STAT UP.

Anyway, yeah, Necro's get much better with a skill or two on each of their positionals, it just seems to be very hard to land the SPPs where you need them and win games at the same time.

Rakysh
24-11-2011, 10:47 PM
The correct skill to give a werewolf on a second double is clearly juggernaut, anyway.

*shakes fist at the ninja*

NieA7
24-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Like a shadow. In the night.

Jiiiiim
24-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Monopole Magnates (Jim, Lizards) vs Beyond the Pale (Jolima, Vamps)

My previous game with Jolima was a close-fought 2-2 draw, sang by Dolly Parton, so I approached this match with trepidation. The two-time league winning vampires are not to be taken lightly: I would need....a strategy. I bought a wizard, stroked my chin thoughtfully, and decided I would punch the hell out of his thralls until such time as his vampires had no more free drinks.

My main worry with vampires is that th-all glory to the hypnotoad. All glory to the hypnotoad. All glory to th- hey where did the ball go? I could swear I had it. Fortunately, with Jolima batting the ball loose every single turn, his low armour decided to explode, spectacularly. Vampire KO'd on failed dodge, Thrall KO'd by punching, Thrall KO'd by punching. This happened in three actions. He knocks the ball free again. I KO another vampire. And some thralls. And cause a cas against one. And KO another vampire. He doesn't really have anyone on the pitch now, so we stroll in the 1-0 on turn 8. Unfortunately all those thousands of KOs wake up so he can start his receiving turn with all 11 players.

Diving tackle did some wonders for me and looks the best way for lizards specifically to compete with vamps. Use the sauruses to man-mark thralls - they'll struggle to kick you off. Jolima keeps the vampires away from trouble and I'm happy to oblige, keeping diving tackle skinks nearby while trying to kill all the thralls unable to escape. This is the pattern of the second half. Thrall down, Thrall down, heroic 1 dice block from the skink with the strength of a man, on the Agility 5 vampire. Skink BH, Thrall BH, Thrall down, heroic 1 dice block from the saurus on the same vampire. Vampire runs loose and KO's himself on a failed GFI. Finally get the ball safe. There are now like 5 players left on Jolima's team and we just run in the second touchdown, handing off to a saurus in the process. 2-0 to the Magnates, final score.

Horrible, horrible armour rolls for Jolima but the aim was to maximise blocks against the skill-less, low-armour thralls and I managed that.

Now I just need MrPier to beat Alethron and I don't get relegated. COME ON THE DWARVES.